PDA

View Full Version : Fringe

october_midnight
12-01-2011, 11:15 AM
One of my top 3 favorite shows. Loving the new season, looks like it very well might be the last. I've actually been on the set a few times (my friend works on it quite frequently) and have managed to hear where the storyline is heading this season once it comes back in January and it's pretty crazy.

Also Anna Torv...come on. When I finally got to meet her a month ago or so, I was hard pressed to not scream 'I LOVE YOU' and henceforth be removed forcibly from the set.

Malechite
12-01-2011, 11:35 AM
A little jealous, although I did get to ask the cast a question at Comic-con. Fringe is my #1 Favorite TV show that is currently airing episodes. absolutely love it.

also hate that i have to wait MONTHS for a new episode.

october_midnight
12-01-2011, 11:38 AM
ME TOO. Maybe it's just me but this year the Christmas gap seems a bit longer than before? Maybe it is just me, but I don't remember mid-Nov to mid-Jan being the norm?!

Malechite
12-01-2011, 11:42 AM
Yeah Fox moved shit around for baseball. thats why the mid season finale was a one-off episode and disappointing for a mid-season finale.

The preview for the next episode made that one seem like it was written to be in that spot.

october_midnight
12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Ahh that makes sense then, I never even thought of that.

fixate
12-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Baseball ruins EVERYTHING.

Also, love everything about this show.

pequena
12-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Agreed!! I'm super curious to learn more about this third timeline/universe/whatever.

Also, Malechite, what did you so with that sweet Walter shirt you got for asking the panel a question and getting Joshua Jackson to make a bong sound effect? :p

Malechite
12-01-2011, 06:10 PM
Also, Malechite, what did you so with that sweet Walter shirt you got for asking the panel a question and getting Joshua Jackson to make a bong sound effect? :p

Well it's baby blue, so it's not quite my color, but I do wear it from time to time.

millionmilesaway
12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
I started watching during season 3, I went back and have watched season 1 and am working on 2 right now, trying not to watch Season 4 until 'Im all caught up but I cant help it, maybe the little break will help me catch up.

TrappyWappy
12-01-2011, 07:31 PM
I'm afraid they might have been writing themselves into a corner with the whole where's Peter?/Peter's back! thing. It seems like they've narrowed the scope of mythology for the show with this third timeline. Or maybe there's a direction they're headed that I'm not seeing?

Malechite
12-01-2011, 07:41 PM
I know the spoiler tag is meant for when things aren't out yet, but with a lot of these TV shows people are catching up, so I'm going to say for things like Fringe, use the spoiler tag for the current season.

Fixer808
12-01-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm up to episode 4 of season 3, and I can't believe how fucking good this show is! It just refuses to stop being awesome!

TrappyWappy
12-01-2011, 09:25 PM
I know the spoiler tag is meant for when things aren't out yet, but with a lot of these TV shows people are catching up, so I'm going to say for things like Fringe, use the spoiler tag for the current season.

Sorry about that--still getting used to the new board. Didn't know there was a spoiler tag!

Malechite
12-02-2011, 04:40 PM
New official Fringe video posted! (Obviously don't watch if you aren't current with the show)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xV-qNF1CoM

Lutz
12-02-2011, 08:08 PM
How do I post spoiler tags?

Anyway.

One way I can see this season going is if the blue universe still exists maybe the machine healed the blue universe by attaching the red universe to the gold universe instead?

Malechite
12-02-2011, 08:10 PM
How do I post spoiler tags?

There a couple sticky threads with some info, but its text here

plusminus
12-02-2011, 08:39 PM
Going to be a long month without Fringe.

diptych
12-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Well, there's still the old Blu-rays/DVD's to keep you busy. I've rewatched all of Season 1 & 2 over the last couple of days. Noticed many little things that I'd completely forgotten about. It's really an awesome, well-written show. And it also doesn't hurt that Anna Torv is such a babe.

I'm still not sure how I feel about this reboot of the characters this season.

Malechite
01-03-2012, 05:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwB0wJ-ahE0

Lutz
01-15-2012, 01:22 AM
I don't want Olivia to die.

Fixer808
01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Finished season 3 and lost my mind.

Canuckle
01-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Is everyone assuming that the universe we are seeing now is a new one? I simply view the universe we are seeing now (with the orange Fringe title sequence) as the same as the original universe but with an adjusted timeline in Peter's absence. In other words, it is what would of happened if Peter had never been alive for the past 20 years. Thus, to the observers this is the 'correct' timeline, and Peter is simply just messing it up again.

E.g., Peter never killed Jones, alt-Broyles never dies because Olivia never crosses over to get Peter back, etc.

Goldfoot
01-29-2012, 03:34 AM
Is everyone assuming that the universe we are seeing now is a new one? I simply view the universe we are seeing now (with the orange Fringe title sequence) as the same as the original universe but with an adjusted timeline in Peter's absence. In other words, it is what would of happened if Peter had never been alive for the past 20 years. Thus, to the observers this is the 'correct' timeline, and Peter is simply just messing it up again.

E.g., Peter never killed Jones, alt-Broyles never dies because Olivia never crosses over to get Peter back, etc.

That's how I see it. I think both sides were re-written, though the red side wouldn't have as much to change if Peter had never been there. I thought it was pretty apparent that Walternate is a different person that we've come to know from the red side. I think both sides in the yellow (gold?) timeline are different than what Peter remembers, though I'm not sure he can get back to where he belongs.

Lutz
01-30-2012, 12:39 AM
I think they have thrown us all off the first assumption that the gold universe just overwrites the blue universe by Peter searching for the blue universe.

I presume we'll get an answer as the season goes on.

Mech
01-30-2012, 10:27 AM
I somewhat agree, but isn't the "red" universe just a different timeline than the "blue" universe? Different things happened, different decisions were made, etc. So, I think we can call any change in timeline a different universe, no? And Peter is just trying to get back to the way it was, whether it calls it his universe or his timeline, I think is irrelevant. The yellow universe, afterall, was supposed to be different because Peter didn't exist, yet, he still does.

Anyway, enjoying this half of the season so far. The most recent episiode was really well done I thought.

eversonpoe
01-30-2012, 09:02 PM
it was really nice to get back to the old format of the show, and just have a case for the team to work on. i feel like they tried to break away for the formula, but in doing so, they made the show too formulaic with the two sides fighting, and now peter just trying to get back to his timeline, so it was nice to revisit the way the show used to be.

Lutz
01-30-2012, 09:28 PM
Going on this train of thought the only natural outcome of the series is that the reason the universes are destroying each other is because they are all being over written by the core timeline.

It's taking the conceit from Terminator that if they prevent the future from happening then John Connor won't exist and Fringe is dealing with actually showing it physically happen.

Lutz
02-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Fringe going on three week break end of March. For those that have watched this on TV the whole way through have they always had such huge breaks in their seasons?

This is the third this year!

october_midnight
02-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Feb. 24th - March 23rd. Damn, too many breaks...

Mech
02-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Probably because of March Madness. Given that Fringe is on Friday nights, this is probably why.

Lutz
02-19-2012, 07:07 AM
The conclusion to this weeks episode made me very happy. I really like good Nina Sharp and I was afraid they were going to retcon that and have her behind David Robert Jones plans in the gold reality and originally also in the blue reality.

Also just from the amount of people posting here this season I'd say no one is watching Fringe anymore and I'd be surprised if it's not cancelled. Hopefully they can get at least one more season with another network.

Mech
02-19-2012, 10:57 PM
I don't know, I wouldn't base that conclusion from the posts on this board. This new board is WAY slower than old ets and far less posting in general. I do feel they should wrap up the story within a season or so however.

Lutz
02-21-2012, 05:27 AM
Also is this shapeshifter Nina or are we finally getting NINALTERNATE?

eversonpoe
02-21-2012, 12:08 PM
i'm fairly certain it's shapeshifter nina. also, it was really great that the "welcome to westfield" episode was more focused on the case (which was awesome), and then this most recent episode was more insightful toward everything that was going on in the show. the dragging out of peter trying to get back to the blue universe was getting really tedious.

profane
02-21-2012, 02:39 PM
According to www.tvbythenumbers.com things are not looking good for our beloved Fringe.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/21/bubble-watch-fox/120726/

Lutz
02-21-2012, 07:25 PM
i'm fairly certain it's shapeshifter nina.

I wondered if it might be Ninalternate due to the hand scan.

I'd say it's also definite that Lincoln was replaced with a shapeshifter when Alt Browles found out he was in the broom cupboard

fixate
02-22-2012, 08:47 AM
I wondered if it might be Ninalternate due to the hand scan.

I'd say it's also definite that Lincoln was replaced with a shapeshifter when Alt Browles found out he was in the broom cupboard

Yea I'm leaning toward Ninalternate as well. Reason: Regular Nina is still alive. Leaving the people they impersonate alive is not something the shapeshifters are known for.

Lutz
02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Yea I'm leaning toward Ninalternate as well. Reason: Regular Nina is still alive. Leaving the people they impersonate alive is not something the shapeshifters are known for.

The shapeshifting process kills the host right?

The other possibility is with time lapse shapshifter Nina was put in the room with Olivia to manipulate her.

themethatyouknow
02-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Crap, I almost forgot about Nina and Olivia in that room. But I thought that the Olivia in that room was the one from Peter's timeline. That somehow the third (now nonexistent) timeline was coming through due to the cortexiphan in Olivia's system. That would mean that the Nina in the current timeline was dosing Olivia to try to bring the original timeline back. I'm thoroughly confused at this point.

Lutz
02-22-2012, 11:46 PM
I think gold Olivia getting blue Olivia's memories is a side effect of her power to cross between timelines. I'd say the reason they are drugging her is to use her ability to cross. If there isn't a double Nina then they may have put the shapeshifter there to manipulate her into using her abilities.

I'm hoping it is Ninalternate. I think it's a much more interesting way to go and they could make it that red Nina was responsible for David Robert Jones in the blue timeline as well. Thematically it makes a lot of sense as well because blue Nina was the one who originally tried to plead with Walter to not cross over.

october_midnight
02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
Looks like tomorrow's episode is going to be a good one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQEZJ_BYvE

eversonpoe
02-23-2012, 09:33 PM
so i guess that's confirmation that it's definitely alter-nina, and not a shape-shifter.
also, it's adorable to hear walter & olivia with their australian accents.

Radiovoyr
02-23-2012, 11:34 PM
I am really afraid this will be the last season. I love this show and I do not want it to go away.

I'd be totally ok with 2 seasons that were just bad scientist of the week with no mythology. Anna Torv and John Noble are amazing to watch.

kdrcraig
02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
Anna Torv and John Noble are amazing to watch.

Anna Torv doesn't do anything for me, I actually think she's not a very good actress but that's obviously personal opinion. John Noble is definitely amazing in this show though.

I'm not sure how I feel about this season, finally got all caught up. There's been episodes that were great and some that I thought were pretty bad. Really no clue where they're going with it after the end of last week's episode.

profane
02-24-2012, 02:17 PM
It's time to gather and help save Fringe:

http://www.morethanoneofeverything.net/?p=2365

jmtd
03-28-2012, 07:44 AM
So I like Fringe, I'm about ⅓ through series 3. I'd like to join this discussion but (typing a bit blind) I'm very concerned about spoilers.

I see lots of black boxes which is good news, but I'm not clear from which point in the story the spoilers begin (e.g. I guess a lot of stuff could spoil you if you had only watched a bunch of stuff in series 1, which would prohibit basically any discussion!)

Could someone kindly edit the sub-topic to make clear what the spoiler policy is for this thread? TIA!

Mech
03-28-2012, 08:37 AM
Fairly certain on tv shows, everything is game up until the most recent episode. A lot of the spoiler boxes on this page are actually guesses and theories.

sentient02970
03-28-2012, 09:03 AM
I completely lost track and touch with this show after the last long break. So when I turn it on now I'm just baffled.

Mech
03-28-2012, 09:31 AM
I didn't really understand the villain in this weeks episode. I must've missed something.

Alexandros
03-28-2012, 12:06 PM
I didn't really understand the villain in this weeks episode. I must've missed something.

What do you mean exactly? You didn't understand his motive or you didn't think he was a villain?

kdrcraig
03-28-2012, 03:34 PM

He was a pretty weak "villian of the week", I thought it actually was a pretty weak episode overall. It was awful convenient that the one lady went on about how she didn't actually love her husband but accepted that she wouldn't find love and then ding! Olivia's like "yeah at least I am experiencing love even if I can never act on it with Peter." Sometimes this show has great episodes and I love it, and then there will be an episode that falls completely flat for me and makes me not really care if I see the next episode or two right away

fixate
03-28-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm not the only one that's assumed from the start thatPeter's been in the right place all along, right? Seemed fairly obvious this is just the world if he had died as a child.

Mech
03-29-2012, 08:18 AM
Fixate, I have been thinking that, too.

What do you mean exactly? You didn't understand his motive or you didn't think he was a villain?

I didn't really catch his motive.

eversonpoe
03-29-2012, 10:33 PM
honestly, i'm just happy we got an episode with a happy ending. i love this show, but it's so emotionally draining to end every episode with a painful cliffhanger. so getting that little happy ending was a) a big shock and b) really, really satisfying. now i guess we'll just have to see how long it lasts...

Alexandros
03-30-2012, 08:24 AM
I didn't really catch his motive.

Yeah the storyline was a bit off, or as kdrcraig put it, seemed more like a way to have Olivia thinking about love etc. I guess the implication is that his looks (burns, weird skin disease?) didn't exactly make him desirable, so he was trying to find a way to experience the feeling of love. And then share the formula with the world. The formula that in essence disguises you as another person. Whom you have to kill to get his/her pheromones. Which will only affect a person in love with the deceased. Tough to market, if you ask me...

fixate
03-30-2012, 09:07 AM
I'm kinda bummed about it to be honest. When I had heard that actor was going to be on the show as a villain, I was hoping he was going to be a more major player in the story. Oh well.

kdrcraig
04-03-2012, 08:10 PM
This show has lost it's mind again.

Lutz
04-04-2012, 06:46 AM
So the critical moment the watcher observed when he interrupted Walternate from finding the cure for Peter was a red herring and what he was really there for was to create the turn of events that would allow his timeline to come into existence?

Also the show didn't completely ignore all the cannon built up in the first two seasons because a large portion of the events were being manipulated by David Robert Jones and not Walternate?

eversonpoe
04-04-2012, 08:49 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

oh, sorry. my head exploded from the extreme emotional turmoil this show causes me on a weekly basis. excuse me while i clean up the bits of my brain strewn across the floor.

Lutz
04-21-2012, 09:25 PM
I was kind of hoping they would surprise us by making Simon the son of Fauxlivia and blue Lincoln Lee.

Goldfoot
04-22-2012, 06:50 PM
^^Yeah, but I thought it was pretty obvious who she was going to turn out to be. As for the rest of the episode, I only knew that HIC was going to be a guest star, but I didn't know what the nature of the episode was going to be. I hope they show more like this episode, but I don't know if he is in more or not. It would certainly be nice to have them explore this more if they are picked up for a fifth (shortened?) season, which seems to be what the plan is. This episode allows them to give us closure for this season, as well as the series, and still have somewhere to go in the event they are given more episodes.

Lutz
04-22-2012, 08:22 PM
I took the timeline for Olivia's death (2015?) to mean they could basically write the show for another three seasons.

kdrcraig
04-23-2012, 06:51 PM
I didn't like that episode at all, seemed pretty pointless.

Goldfoot
04-26-2012, 06:12 PM
^^ I really don't know how you can see it as pointless at all.

http://tvline.com/2012/04/26/fringe-renewed-for-season-5/

Fringe has been given a 5th (and final) season, but it doesn't say how many episodes, though.

october_midnight
04-26-2012, 06:44 PM
13 episodes.

Goldfoot
04-26-2012, 07:10 PM
What's your source? Just because that was the rumored amount doesn't mean that is what they agreed upon.

october_midnight
04-26-2012, 07:49 PM
Relax chief.

Joel Wyman @jwfringe OFFICIALLY PICKED UP FOR 13 EPISODES! Our team thanks FOX/WB and our INCREDIBLE fans for their support. JHW/JP/AG http://youtu.be/gvWqOZL8JXA (http://t.co/qaecfpa6)

Lutz
04-26-2012, 08:38 PM
I guess it's better than nothing.

Still pretty poor though.

october_midnight
04-26-2012, 08:45 PM
I'm actually glad they're not going to drag it out for an immensely long time. To me anyways, this is like certain other shows where it just needs to end and be a complete thing. Story told, it was awesome while it lasted, but why drag it out in to extra seasons for no point kinda thing.

kdrcraig
04-27-2012, 06:59 AM
^^ I really don't know how you can see it as pointless at all.

Huh? What was the point of it then? It showed a bunch of stuff that happens in the future, they didn't accomplish anything in the episode. Short of saying that Olivia is dead and Bell is somehow still alive I really don't see how that episode mattered at all to what is happening in the show right now

Glad to hear they're getting a fifth season, as much as this show drives me nuts sometimes with its inconsistent quality, when it's good I love it and I'm glad they're going to get to finish it the way they wanted to.

Goldfoot
04-27-2012, 11:14 AM
Huh? What was the point of it then? It showed a bunch of stuff that happens in the future, they didn't accomplish anything in the episode. Short of saying that Olivia is dead and Bell is somehow still alive I really don't see how that episode mattered at all to what is happening in the show right now

The point is that it shows you what happens in the future. The idea this season was that by connecting the universes via the bridge, the red one could heal and, as we saw, it has been working. By skipping ahead, we get a taste of what happens after both universes are back to normal AND we get to see a new side to the observers. It's a complete role reversal for them (which has become a very common theme in this show) and rather than just be on the outside looking in, we see that they have the capacity to completely change how they interact with the world. Not only that, but it opened the door the future, leaving them free to completely finish the current plotline and give us closure, whether or not they got a chance to continue past this season. It was a really smart move and, at least for me, it presented very interesting prospects on what could happen in the future.

kdrcraig
04-27-2012, 11:45 AM
Good points, I didn't think of it that way. Still not a fan of the episode but I see what you're saying, especially since they didn't know if they were getting renewed or not.

Goldfoot
04-27-2012, 08:09 PM
Good points, I didn't think of it that way. Still not a fan of the episode but I see what you're saying, especially since they didn't know if they were getting renewed or not.

Fair enough, I'm in no way saying you had to like it, I just didn't understand your initial statement. The way I see it is that it came about because they were unsure if the show would continue or not. That is a hard position to be in when you have a serial drama like this. The same thing happened during the middle of Lost Season 3. There's a few filler episodes that arguably have no reason to be there, but the producers needed to know how long they would have to tell their story. They couldn't just start throwing things out willy nilly and then have nothing more to show in the event that they were picked up for another season or two. So with Fringe, Fox wouldn't tell them yes or no when they were writing the episodes (you know, when it matters, because network executives seem to be fucking morons) so they had to improvise and throw in a possible way to continue the show. And as we just saw, Fox didn't even officially decide until that episode had aired (or perhaps right before, depending on who you believe).

Lutz
04-28-2012, 03:41 AM
The other option they didn't think of in tonight's episode was to bring the red universe equivalent of the cortexiphan subjects over to the blue universe.

Considering the level of surveillance in the red universe and that the majority of them would have been American originally it wouldn't have taken a great deal of effort.

Lutz
04-28-2012, 03:50 AM
Also regarding the complaints with the flash forward episode. I didn't see it as opening a new direction for the show but rather explaining and wrapping up the observer plot thread.

kdrcraig
05-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Ok I really liked last week's episode, back on board.

fixate
05-01-2012, 09:02 AM
I don't know if that's the last we'll see of the other universe, but if so, that was a pretty satisfying goodbye.

kdrcraig
05-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Definitely, the scene between the two Walters was pretty awesome.

jmtd
05-01-2012, 01:35 PM
Fairly certain on tv shows, everything is game up until the most recent episode. A lot of the spoiler boxes on this page are actually guesses and theories.

The trouble with that is, it's shown at different times in different countries.

Alexandros
05-01-2012, 05:18 PM
Sooo...everyone was arriving at their appointed place within a minute of the appointed time? Sure, OK.

kdrcraig
05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Sooo...everyone was arriving at their appointed place within a minute of the appointed time? Sure, OK.

In this show that's low on the nitpicking level.

Alexandros
05-02-2012, 02:30 AM
In this show that's low on the nitpicking level.

Well, you know, amidst the alternate universes, man-beasts, weirdos from the future and unlocked psychic abilites, I would expect people to at least account for traffic and/or unexpected difficulties while traversing the city/wilderness.

Lutz
05-02-2012, 06:28 PM
In the future episode what was Walter's brain doing at Massive Dynamic? Wasn't it stolen by Jones in the first season to operate the teleportation device?

(It's been established that this part of season 1 happened in the gold timeline.)

Goldfoot
05-02-2012, 11:24 PM
In the future episode what was Walter's brain doing at Massive Dynamic? Wasn't it stolen by Jones in the first season to operate the teleportation device?

(It's been established that this part of season 1 happened in the gold timeline.)

No, actually it was established that season 1 did not happen in the gold timeline. Peter mentioned Jones and the Fringe team didn't know who he was talking about. They brought Jones in and he did not recognize Peter. Nothing that happened in seasons 1-3 (after the lake incident) is in the history of the gold timeline, other than in Peter's (and now Olivia's) memories.

Lutz
05-03-2012, 12:46 AM
No I mean it was established that Jone's story was the same but without interference from the Fringe team because Peter wasn't there.

So he still escaped from gaol and stole stole Walter's brain at the same points as the blue timeline.

kdrcraig
05-03-2012, 07:04 AM
That was my problem with the episode about the plane crash/porcupine monster this season, even if the Fringe team didn't have the same missions in the gold timeline that plane would've still had the same flight time and it would've already happened.

Goldfoot
05-03-2012, 12:20 PM
No I mean it was established that Jone's story was the same but without interference from the Fringe team because Peter wasn't there.

So he still escaped from gaol and stole stole Walter's brain at the same points as the blue timeline.

You aren't remembering that correctly. DRJ had nothing to do with recovering pieces of Walter's brain. It was Newton who recovered the pieces of Walter's brain, and he did it by removing them from other people.

That was my problem with the episode about the plane crash/porcupine monster this season, even if the Fringe team didn't have the same missions in the gold timeline that plane would've still had the same flight time and it would've already happened.

You are assuming that everything happened the same way, just without Peter. The mere fact that Peter died in both histories during this season's timelines changes things. Peter's parents on our side would have had a funeral, altering everyone's lives that were involved from then on. Every different choice they make would alter other people's lives as well. As there are similarities between the Blue and Red sides, the Gold one is similar to the Blue one, but not the same.

The case doesn't unfold quite the same in this timeline, so there's no reason to believe it would have happened on the same schedule as the initial one from the first season. The plane crashed originally, but in the Gold timeline it landed safely.

fixate
05-03-2012, 12:26 PM
You are assuming that everything happened the same way, just without Peter. The mere fact that Peter died in both histories during this season's timelines changes things. Peter's parents on our side would have had a funeral, altering everyone's lives that were involved from then on. Every different choice they make would alter other people's lives as well. As there are similarities between the Blue and Red sides, the Gold one is similar to the Blue one, but not the same.

The case doesn't unfold quite the same in this timeline, so there's no reason to believe it would have happened on the same schedule as the initial one from the first season. The plane crashed originally, but in the Gold timeline it landed safely.

Exactly. Butterfly effect (not the movie).

kdrcraig
05-03-2012, 02:02 PM

So Peter not existing altered all the flight schedules in the country and made all the people on that flight wait a year to take it? I understand what you're saying but Peter not existing would not change the whole fucking world and everything that happens in it. I'm not even talking about the case, I'm talking about the fact that it was the same exact plane with the same people on it only it happened a year or however long later.

Goldfoot
05-03-2012, 04:57 PM
So Peter not existing altered all the flight schedules in the country and made all the people on that flight wait a year to take it? I understand what you're saying but Peter not existing would not change the whole fucking world and everything that happens in it. I'm not even talking about the case, I'm talking about the fact that it was the same exact plane with the same people on it only it happened a year or however long later.

One difference could change everything. The people designing the drug that caused the transformation may have gotten their funding later in Gold than they did in Blue. There's no way to know, but I don't understand why you're getting hung up on this one point. This is the only case that Peter experienced (so far) in Gold that was similar to one in Blue. Given the nature of the cases he remembers from Blue, if they happened again they would certainly be something checked out by Gold's Fringe Division. Even if some things happen in both timelines, that doesn't mean they happen on the same date in each, or even happen the same way. (Dude didn't fully transform on the plane in Gold, but he did in Blue) Basing how/when events should happen in Gold on how/when they happened in Blue is a faulty way to look at it.

kdrcraig
05-03-2012, 05:42 PM
That episode just bugged the hell out of me. The way I see it is that everything that happened before Peter disappeared would've still happened but he just wouldn't have been there. The stuff that he was involved with obviously would've happened differently but that plane should've already went down or arrived safely before he came back. The Gold timeline didn't jump back in time when he vanished, it just continued on from there like he never existed. I guess maybe I just didn't think about the effects of that like you did and the show runners apparently wanted me to, I just figured what happened before that happened and we were continuing on from there. When that plane showed up again it just seemed lame to me, like they didn't have an idea for that episode so they did it over again, probably doesn't help that I think the whole idea of Jones wanting to start another race by turning everyone into freakish animal hybrids is incredibly stupid.

Edit: None of my friends watch this show so I have no one to talk/bitch to about the things that piss me off about this show so I come on here and vent about it from time to time. Sorry if I'm bringing you guys down with my idiocy at all. My brain latches on to certain things that I don't like and I just can't let them go.

Lutz
05-05-2012, 02:53 AM
I wish we were in the original blue/red timeline still so that what happened in tonight's episode actually made some sense.

I guess after they finish the series next season I'll sit down and watch them all again.

ambergris
05-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Spoiler: Did one half of Jones' face disintegrate because he was cut in half in a previous season (and a different timeline)?

I'd like to know why the Observers felt the need to control the past. I guess the fascinating guest star is going to explain it to us soon, but someone must be trying to change the timeline and that's what the Observers want to prevent. I guess it's the guest star.

I like how the different threads of the show are coming together now. The writing of the show is miraculous in my opinion. I don't think that it all makes sense but the show is constantly trying to stetch the limits of narratives that can be shown on television.

profane
05-05-2012, 06:12 PM
Just watched the first part of the finale and all my mind is able to bring up is 'ghkxshhtfcgy'!? Incredible!

Lutz
05-05-2012, 06:47 PM
I'd like to know why the Observers felt the need to control the past.

I thought what they were originally trying to intimate by having the observers be from the future was that it was a self contained future that stemmed completely from Walter inventing and then using the technology to cross universes. Walter's research was then carried on by blue Olivia's daughter which leads to the time travel technology that is used by the observers. In effect it then becomes a red herring when we see September witnessing the moment Walternate fails to find the cure for Peter because he is actually there to distract Walternate which then enables the observers timeline.

That would have made sense because it carries on the main themes of a broken timeline self perpetuating itself.

kdrcraig
05-07-2012, 08:26 PM
I'm not sure if the last 10 minutes of that episode were completely ridiculous or awesome, this show loses its mind sometimes. I dug it though, just got really weird there at the end. Olivia playing rock 'em sock 'em robots with Peter

millionmilesaway
05-07-2012, 08:56 PM
well back in whatever past season/timeline Olivia was able to levitate and control objects, she is just re-discovering that skill she
"forgot" when Peter disappeared and now applying it to people.

Goldfoot
05-10-2012, 12:06 AM
That episode just bugged the hell out of me. The way I see it is that everything that happened before Peter disappeared would've still happened but he just wouldn't have been there. The stuff that he was involved with obviously would've happened differently but that plane should've already went down or arrived safely before he came back. The Gold timeline didn't jump back in time when he vanished, it just continued on from there like he never existed. I guess maybe I just didn't think about the effects of that like you did and the show runners apparently wanted me to, I just figured what happened before that happened and we were continuing on from there. When that plane showed up again it just seemed lame to me, like they didn't have an idea for that episode so they did it over again, probably doesn't help that I think the whole idea of Jones wanting to start another race by turning everyone into freakish animal hybrids is incredibly stupid.

I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it is as simple as that. Everything can't just be the same, except without Peter, because everyone that knew him has to have new memories. It should follow, then, that their new memories reflect an entirely new series of events from the lake on. Every one of these events would alter the course of history for everyone involved. As someone suggested, it's the butterfly effect.

Edit: None of my friends watch this show so I have no one to talk/bitch to about the things that piss me off about this show so I come on here and vent about it from time to time. Sorry if I'm bringing you guys down with my idiocy at all. My brain latches on to certain things that I don't like and I just can't let them go.

No worries, I enjoy discussing the show. I am just trying to figure out why you are stuck on this one issue and try to help you resolve it, if possible.

As for the most recent episode, it seems to me that only person that would have a dramatic enough impact for Bowie to be working for would be Belly, so I wasn't surprised at all by the reveal. I thought it was pretty obvious that Bowie was the bishop being referred to immediately, but he clearly didn't realize that. I was pretty impressed with how badass Astrid was at the end. I was indifferent by what happened next because I'm sure she doesn't die, as we saw her in the future. Unless that doesn't actually connect with what we are being shown now, but that would be pretty lame of them to do.

Lutz
05-10-2012, 06:15 AM
^Unless he was working for Ninalternate.

kdrcraig
05-10-2012, 07:09 AM
No worries, I enjoy discussing the show. I am just trying to figure out why you are stuck on this one issue and try to help you resolve it, if possible.

Eh I just thought it was stupid when I watched it, it was a combination of the plane and then the animal hybrids, I just thought all of it was stupid. I did enjoy the last two episodes so I don't even care anymore. For the last couple seasons this show has been spitting out a few episodes in a row I'll love and then one I just hate, then repeats. I've come this far so I'm sticking with it, just annoys me sometimes.

If they can't get Nimoy to come back for season 5 I really hope they wrap up him being the main bad guy in the finale or next season isn't really going to work Then again, who knows what kind of crazy shit will happen this week.

Alexandros
05-12-2012, 04:07 AM
Uncoordinated eyes creepy as HELL!

Well, that was fun. So, I guess the final season will be all about the Observers?

kdrcraig
05-12-2012, 08:49 PM
That's what it's looking like. This season turned out pretty good, really liked the last few episodes

ambergris
05-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Very messy season... 2 new parallel universes, the underwhelming story arc of David Robert Jones, the final revelations... They did not play it safe and I think that it was worth it, but I can easily see how people give up on it.

profane
05-13-2012, 07:19 PM
I was really excited by the first part of the finale. Reason: Leonard Nemoy. The second part left me heavily underwhelmed. It sometimes seemed rushed and the parts that obviously were meant to be shocking weren't shocking at all to me. And if I were to be really honest to myself I'd have to say this whole season was quite underwhelming. But I believe (or want to) that the final season will be awesome.

Radiovoyr
05-13-2012, 07:38 PM
I really liked the 2 part season finale. Parts of this season bugged me a bit, but I let it go when I reminded myself that this season is kind of a reboot using tropes from earlier seasons. Not a full reboot obviously, but when we found out Peter was already home, we kind of just had to take it for what its worth that the original red and blue universes just did not matter much anymore, if at all. As the viewer we just got to understand more of what was happening than the characters experiencing the events could - which is really kind of a neat idea. I view season 4 as very long aside.

I like the season finale enough that I do think it could have been a solid enough end to the show, but I am reallllly fucking glad we will get a season 5 that will have a clear direction now that everything from the first 2 universes is solved and the new 2 universes are resolved in a way that only leaves us with one to worry about.

I do think the reason 'Etta will be so important to stopping the observers is that she will be able to reopen the bridge and the other side will help our side fight them. Which would be a really fantastic conclusion to/reinterpretation of the universal war story.

I am going to miss the fuck out of this show. :(

Lutz
05-14-2012, 02:00 AM
I was really excited by the first part of the finale. Reason: Leonard Nemoy. The second part left me heavily underwhelmed. It sometimes seemed rushed and the parts that obviously were meant to be shocking weren't shocking at all to me. And if I were to be really honest to myself I'd have to say this whole season was quite underwhelming. But I believe (or want to) that the final season will be awesome.

While I was a bit underwhelmed by the story as well I think this season has really proven that the real reason we watch this show is because the characters are so strong.

october_midnight
05-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Pretty big development.

Seth Gabel (Lincoln Lee) will not be returning as a regular in season five. (http://www.tvguide.com/News/Fringe-Seth-Gabel-Season5-1047884.aspx)

themethatyouknow
05-22-2012, 07:57 PM
While Lincoln leaving kind of sucks, It's not really that big of a deal. He already went to the other side which may or may not be a part of the last season. But moreover, the show is about Olivia, Peter, and Walter. Everyone else is just helping to set the scene.

october_midnight
07-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Oh my goodness.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTiAL19rej4&feature=player_embedded

Also, rumblings of cast members saying that a feature movie in the future is 'not out of the question'...

millionmilesaway
09-06-2012, 11:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCt1MmDt9Lw&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cLpanRAIDY&feature=plcp

the next season is fast approaching, They are coming and I am excited!

kdrcraig
09-06-2012, 02:47 PM
I'm a lot more excited for this final season than I thought I would be after not liking last season very much. Really interested to see how everything ends.

october_midnight
09-08-2012, 10:39 PM
Oh fuck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5ait7MUjAI&feature=player_embedded

millionmilesaway
09-09-2012, 10:09 PM
http://www.universesoffringe.com/

interesting site that jst makes season four seem even more complicated

Alexandros
09-29-2012, 04:05 AM
Heeey Fringe!

Nice little ending in the new episode. Seemed a little off but it was a nice touch.

Also, I find it funny that they chose a blatantly Soviet-looking uniform for the regime's police. OK, we got it, it's oppresive, ooh!

Lutz
09-30-2012, 03:12 AM
Lots of references to Three Colours Blue in this weeks episode.

kdrcraig
10-08-2012, 10:15 AM
First two episodes have been pretty meh. I'm sure they're just setting stuff up but there's only 11 episodes left, let's get this shit going.

eversonpoe
10-15-2012, 04:30 PM
just watched last week's. i kept thinking "they're turning into ents!"

kdrcraig
10-16-2012, 07:08 AM
These first three episodes have felt pretty slow and pointless for it being the last season

Walter has the plan in his head and we need this weird piece of tech to get it. Scratch that, Walter put the plan on like 8 VHS tapes and we have to find them to get the plan. Bark people and a mysterious crystal in a gold mine

It's really disappointing me. After not liking last season I was hoping they'd cut all the bullshit and really end it on a high note, so far it's anything but that.

eversonpoe
10-16-2012, 08:24 AM
These first three episodes have felt pretty slow and pointless for it being the last season

Walter has the plan in his head and we need this weird piece of tech to get it. Scratch that, Walter put the plan on like 8 VHS tapes and we have to find them to get the plan. Bark people and a mysterious crystal in a gold mine

It's really disappointing me. After not liking last season I was hoping they'd cut all the bullshit and really end it on a high note, so far it's anything but that.

No, even better than VHS tapes: Beta-Max tapes. With unreliable tracking and a higher tendency to decay with age. Beta-Max: The future of home video.

Lutz
10-16-2012, 07:40 PM
And finding all the pieces of the machine and putting them together has been used to death already in previous seasons.

kdrcraig
10-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Wait no, the plan is on a piece of paper that Walter stashed somewhere but he can't read it. And I know I was supposed to care when Etta died but I didn't...at all

Fuck this season

profane
11-03-2012, 03:43 AM
Indeed, this season is going everywhere and nowhere. The premiere was promising, but everything afterwards was lacklustre at best.

perch
11-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I love Fringe but I have a feeling it's another JJ Abrams show that's going to get a finale made of "meh" and "wtf" and "oh no you didn't".

october_midnight
11-03-2012, 06:00 PM
I felt that last night's episode was the strongest of the new season so far, and the end definitely set up something that (I hope) leads to some serious shit about to go down. I'm with all of you though, what's up with this last season? Dang...

Alexandros
11-10-2012, 03:58 AM
Peter's Matrix moment(s) ftw! Also, way to shoehorn the Fringe symbols in the story...

ambergris
11-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I will watch the series until the end, but this season is disappointing. The writing and the whole concept is bad. Find the missing pieces.... people die and introspection follows, because CHARACTER GROWTH! Is this still necessary? The supposedly omnipotent observers are completely oblivious to illoyal subjects, they don't secure Etta's apartment after her death, so Peter can stay there. There is no surveillance in Walter's old lab, even though they all know that he's there... Also, they circumvented the whole how-does-it-all-fit-together problem with introducing a completely different storyline. Does the other universe still matter? Does Olivia still have supernatural powers? What do the observers really want to do? I suspect that this is all a consequence of not knowing whether there would be a fifth season at all. The result is that they had to set up a possible series finale in the 4th season, but then were told that it wasn't necessary, so they closed the whole parallel universe storyline (the thing that was supposedly creating the FRINGE events in the first place!) and left it unresolved. Wel'll get some answers at the end of the fifth season, but the original storyline is already over, and everything that happens now is a forced aftermath.

profane
11-10-2012, 03:21 PM
Yes, that's totally right I'm afraid. It feels like they skipped a chapter of the story and like almost everything that happened before is void. It's kinda sad really.

Lutz
11-10-2012, 08:43 PM
"Find the missing pieces.... people die and introspection follows, because CHARACTER GROWTH! Is this still necessary?"

The original theme of the first few seasons was the bad decisions Walter makes after suffering the loss of a child. Now that Peter and Olivia face the same problem they choose not to make the same mistake. I was surprised to have that as the end of the Etta story and it was a much better conclusion than I could have predicted.

"Also, they circumvented the whole how-does-it-all-fit-together problem with introducing a completely different storyline."

It all fit together because David Robert Jones was responsible for a lot of the fringe events and he stole Walter and William Bell's research when he worked for Massive Dynamic.

"Does the other universe still matter?"

The other universe was healed when Peter was removed from the timeline by the machine.

"Does Olivia still have supernatural powers?"

The powers are gone because she was shot in the head in last seasons finale.

"What do the observers really want to do? I suspect that this is all a consequence of not knowing whether there would be a fifth season at all."

I suspect it's just because we're halfway through the season and haven't found out yet.

"The result is that they had to set up a possible series finale in the 4th season, but then were told that it wasn't necessary, so they closed the whole parallel universe storyline (the thing that was supposedly creating the FRINGE events in the first place!) and left it unresolved. Wel'll get some answers at the end of the fifth season, but the original storyline is already over, and everything that happens now is a forced aftermath."

I think they always planned it this way and you can really tell that by the number of years of events they skipped over between season four and five. When they knew they were being renewed for one more season they simply skipped to the final season.

Also I'm only answering your questions after having watched through all of Fringe once as it aired over the years. I'm sure there are a lot more details I'm forgetting.

This season needs more Nina in her ridiculous white wig.

ambergris
11-11-2012, 08:54 AM
@ Lutz:

The death of Etta as a parable to the death of the original Peter is a good observation. But of course, Peter and Olivia cannot make Walter's mistake even if they wanted to. It was Walter's selfishness that damaged the universe. Peter and Olivia cannot repeat that. They are in a different time, cut off from everything they knew. I have to admit that I'm tired of these introspective episodes. This shortened, final season is not the time for that.

I agree with you that many things fit together until season 4. Season 5 however, feels a little superfluous. That's what I said. And still there are so many loose ends. Wasn't William Bell also in amber when Etta and Desmond from Lost found him? Once again, I don't think it's illogical that the other universe is gone now, I just think that Season four wrapped it up pretty well. But what we're seeing now is not really related to the previous episodes. I find that I'm not really caring about these events.
Regarding the observers, I can only guess that they try to manufacture a timeline that ensures their existence. However, the present timeline also only exists because of them, because September distracted Walter and condemned original Peter to death etc....

It reminds of me of what Hulk, the film critic said about the ending of Lost: It was a good ending, but not an ending for a show like this. Lost was all about mystery and science vs religion. The message "It was about the people you were with" was wrong-headed. I'm afraid we will get a similar ending here. And we'll be left wondering why we cared about the cortexophan children and the parallel universe.
I find it interesting that there are some complex shows around like Lost or Fringe whose authors claim that they planned it all from the very beginning, yet the narrative falls apart. One loses sight of the important things. The ending is unsatisfying. Yet, there is a show like Arrested Development that REALLY had it all planned and people still find prove of that years after cancellation.

Alexandros
11-17-2012, 07:02 AM
Even if this season is struggling to keep itself together, I must say I'm liking Peter's Observerisation.

ambergris
11-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Best episode of the season, in my opinion. It felt sort of focused.

october_midnight
11-17-2012, 03:38 PM
Agreed, I've also been kinda ho-hum about the season thus far but last night was great. Seems they're going to finally just get down to the big showdown sooner than later. Makes sense considering there's what, 6 episodes left?

profane
11-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah, it was a good episode. Things are starting to shake up and getting a tad more dark. Somethings gonna give towards the end, that's the feeling I got from this episode.

sa_nick
11-19-2012, 11:16 PM
I too liked last nights episode. Walter has always been my favourite character. His interactions with Nina were what made the episode for me (although Peter's scheming was quite awesome). I'm still bummed that John Nobel has never and probably will never recieve any awards for his portrayal of Walter. He's had a couple Satellite and Academy of Sci Fi nominations but IMO he stands equal or above the nominees for best supporting male in the last 4 emmy awards.

Jan
11-20-2012, 09:25 AM
So I only read the last page of this thread....I'm considering watching it from the start as it is being shown from the begining on the science channel starting tonight. Is it worth the investment of time...or are you (any of you) regretting watching it for the last however many years you have been? Of course maybe you won't know until the final episode.
Sometimes the journey is better than the destination. Seems that way with most JJA shows

eversonpoe
11-20-2012, 10:02 AM
So I only read the last page of this thread....I'm considering watching it from the start as it is being shown from the begining on the science channel starting tonight. Is it worth the investment of time...or are you (any of you) regretting watching it for the last however many years you have been? Of course maybe you won't know until the final episode.
Sometimes the journey is better than the destination. Seems that way with most JJA shows

watch it. it's fantastic. for all of the little bits of complaining we've all done, it's a fantastic show that will suck you in and won't let you go.

Leviathant
11-20-2012, 10:18 AM
I haven't seen the very latest episode, but I feel like this final season is garbage. It's a completely different show, with very different (and less likable) characters, and it's disappointing. The narration and plot have been on par with a video game. The managed to squeak out funding for one more season, and we get a weepy Olivia and Peter murders dudes with his own bare hands all the time? And the Observers, which were initially disaffected dudes who showed up to watch historic disasters, are now evil Agents from the Matrix, but with hats instead of sunglasses.

I'll watch the final season through, but each week I ask my wife, "What kind of shark will they jump this episode?"

sa_nick
11-21-2012, 04:52 AM
I haven't seen the very latest episode, but I feel like this final season is garbage. It's a completely different show, with very different (and less likable) characters, and it's disappointing. The narration and plot have been on par with a video game. The managed to squeak out funding for one more season, and we get a weepy Olivia and Peter murders dudes with his own bare hands all the time? And the Observers, which were initially disaffected dudes who showed up to watch historic disasters, are now evil Agents from the Matrix, but with hats instead of sunglasses.

I'll watch the final season through, but each week I ask my wife, "What kind of shark will they jump this episode?"

I agree, but I try to look less at the setting and more at the characters. For a sci fi show Fringe has some of the deepest most layered characters, especially Walter, but Peter too.

And the show is always evolving. Sure this season is different, but season 3 and 4 were completely different to season 1 and most of season 2. When the show started it was basically Law and Order: Fringe Event, with a crazy scientist killing ppl each week. It took ages to become the show most of us love (the season 2/3 arch)

Mech
11-21-2012, 07:50 AM
I actually quite like this season. I would rather them skip a couple chapters to try and wrap things up, then be left in the dark and have the series come to an abrupt end without any episodes left.

profane
12-15-2012, 03:32 PM
Ah man, what are they doing? :confused:

eversonpoe
12-16-2012, 10:59 AM
as much as i, personally, don't like (or do) drugs, it seems my favourite episodes of this show revolve around walter being really high (brown betty, the black blotter).

i loved this episode. particularly the monty python part.

Alexandros
12-17-2012, 03:02 AM
i loved this episode. particularly the monty python part.

Hahaa, man that was so random! But I loved it.

ambergris
12-22-2012, 12:42 PM
So.... the revelation at the end of this episode fits perfectly into this theory on the IMDB board:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1119644/board/nest/208276762?p=1

which is even more amazing if you consider that this theory was written BEFORE the last episode. So I am willing to accept this as the explanation. Also, I am 'pleased' that finally someone important died. I think they should have killed off Broyles in that one episode. They should have killed off someone important in the first episode of the season already, because that would have made the Observers much more menacing.

Mech
12-26-2012, 09:11 AM
That's a pretty good read.

Alexandros
01-13-2013, 10:01 AM
So, wouldn't the plan to get wonderboy to the future so that humanity doesn't go down the Observer path actually negate the existence of wonderboy, since he was created in the Observer society?

Also, are there no women Observers?!

ambergris
01-13-2013, 11:42 AM
So, wouldn't the plan to get wonderboy to the future so that humanity doesn't go down the Observer path actually negate the existence of wonderboy, since he was created in the Observer society?

Also, are there no women Observers?!

I thought that as well. The writers of Fringe were previously aware of all these time travel paradoxies but now that doesn't seem to matter. Also, when Olivia said that they could get Etta back because of all of this, I thought, 'Yeah well, but you will not remember it because it's a completely different timeline and you will not exist'. Also, without the Observer society, there will be no September and the five years of Fringe will not exist at all.... We need some further explanation along the lines of the IMDB thread I linked to earlier, otherwise the whole plot of the show was nothing but a mistake by someone who shouldn't have existed in the first place....
About the all-male observers.... Bene Tleilax...

Alexandros
01-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Also, without the Observer society, there will be no September and the five years of Fringe will not exist at all....

I thought of this too, but I assume that a reset timeline with no Observers is the primary goal, so all else is secondary, even if it means a different world with different lives for the Fringe team (which, as you said, Olivia and Peter both seem to ignore). With wonderboy however, it is different as I see it: He is supposed to be the one and only reason that will force future scientists to re-evaluate the separation of emotions from intelligence. But if those future scientists do decide to take a different route, then the kid is erased from the timeline, which in turn (as Fringe has shown us before with Peter) will erase him and everything that has to do with him from their memory, thus erasing the reason why scientists would change their course of action in the first place. It's sort of a vicious circle. Of course I may be missing something or I may be entirely wrong (time travel is, as always, a bitch), but this is how I see it at first glance.

ambergris
01-13-2013, 01:23 PM
I thought of this too, but I assume that a reset timeline with no Observers is the primary goal, so all else is secondary, even if it means a different world with different lives for the Fringe team (which, as you said, Olivia and Peter both seem to ignore). With wonderboy however, it is different as I see it: He is supposed to be the one and only reason that will force future scientists to re-evaluate the separation of emotions from intelligence. But if those future scientists do decide to take a different route, then the kid is erased from the timeline, which in turn (as Fringe has shown us before with Peter) will erase him and everything that has to do with him from their memory, thus erasing the reason why scientists would change their course of action in the first place. It's sort of a vicious circle. Of course I may be missing something or I may be entirely wrong (time travel is, as always, a bitch), but this is how I see it at first glance.

One thing gives me hope though. Windmark's boss said that there was a reason why they chose that time to invade. So I hope that we will get to know why. Also, the Fringe team is deemed 'unimportant', or was it 'inconsequential'? Anyway, we will also get to know the observer's goal and why the Fringe team is supposedly unimportant. Though it is a bit lame that September said that the observers travel back in time to study early human behavior. There 'should' be more to it, or? Anyway though, the end is near and either we will know or we won't, speculation time is over. But I have to say that I enjoyed the last couple of episodes. I really liked how the team had to hide and cover every move in that last episode. And Windmark's connection to 2600-something and his ability to escape the imploding flat via teleporting was great. That sense of dread and a powerful enemy was what was missing in the previous episodes. The contrast to Astrid still looking for tapes in the old lab was almost comical. Like whenever Olivia et al. are out there, Astrid is just like 'I'm going to get more tapes, see you later!' That plot device was really, really lame.

sa_nick
01-19-2013, 09:12 AM
Me when Asrid mentioned having some strawberry milkshakes...
http://www.tvovermind.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/WalterSadSmile-300x168.jpg

october_midnight
01-19-2013, 10:12 AM
Fantastic finale. Emotional, powerful...touched upon a lot of elements from past episodes. Loved the way the ending lets us ponder what their next adventure will be to get in to the future.

After Peter gets the white tulip, we know the first thing he's going to do is go to the lab to look for Walter, find the tape, and say 'Oh hell no, we're coming after you.'

ambergris
01-19-2013, 12:31 PM
Fantastic finale. Emotional, powerful...touched upon a lot of elements from past episodes. Loved the way the ending lets us ponder what their next adventure will be to get in to the future.

After Peter gets the white tulip, we know the first thing he's going to do is go to the lab to look for Walter, find the tape, and say 'Oh hell no, we're coming after you.'

About that spoiler, yes, they could really go on like that forever.

So good-bye Fringe, you little sci-fi oddball. Often frustrating, often brilliant, an acquired taste. I think that if the show had been more successful, and so a higher budget, we would have seen a little more Olivia superpowers, dimension changes, time travel and the like. As it was, the show knew it had a small, but hardcore audience, so it reveled in its eccentricity.

Lutz
01-20-2013, 01:11 AM
The only real Fringe-ism I noticed was missing from the finale was Olivia taking someone out with a table/floor lamp.

But I guess that motif really reached it's natural conclusion when Olivia took out Fauxlivia with a table lamp.

Alexandros
01-20-2013, 08:05 AM
The powder they released in the ventilation system was like, a mix of some/all of the horrible substances we have seen so far? Jesus, that was sadistic!

Also, I'm still unsure how the whole timeline thing reconciles with the facts, but whatever, I don't want to look too much into it. It was a fun show, some stellar moments, some misses. A good way to spend my Saturday mornings. Bye Fringe!

millionmilesaway
01-21-2013, 09:46 PM
just watched the last 3 episodes back to back, and I am very disappointed in how this season ran. They spend all that time gathering parts for this mystery machine only to scrap it in the end for a more convenient option once they figure out what to do with it. The final "Battle" was not much of a battle in my opinion, it was more of a small gunfight. I would have liked to have seen the entire resistance out there fighting against the observers. The observers deserve to die if they are stupid enough to defend their entire existence with a dozen inept loyalists.

other things that bothered me:
the fringe team being insignificant to the observers plan? it seems like they have been more like a major problem to them since the start of the season.
Broyles holding cell not having ventilation?
Why didn't The empath kill Windmark with his mind? he probably could have more easily than Olivia.
Why did he get off the goddamn train! just so we could waste an episode to see that the other universe is all fine and dandy and Altolivia has a new awful wig?
September is still alive? didn't he die as an observer? I guess that was on the other timeline so its not valid or whatever
And Peter, if the observers get erased then he (and Walter) die in the lake because there is no September to save him. He could still exist in the alternate universe if Walternate wasn't distracted by September, but then his appearance in the fourth season doesn't make any sense

there were a few touching parts though, Gene making one last appearance, Peter and Walter cry-hugging, the white tulip

Lutz
01-22-2013, 02:39 AM
just watched the last 3 episodes back to back, and I am very disappointed in how this season ran. They spend all that time gathering parts for this mystery machine only to scrap it in the end for a more convenient option once they figure out what to do with it.

This is one of those Fringe-isms - all the way through the series Walter would devise an extremely complicated fringe science plan to save the day and then in the end the story would be resolved without it being used.

And Peter, if the observers get erased then he (and Walter) die in the lake because there is no September to save him. He could still exist in the alternate universe if Walternate wasn't distracted by September, but then his appearance in the fourth season doesn't make any sense

Season 5 follows on from the gold universe where September never intervenes at the lake. Also Peter reappearing in the gold universe was due to the observers NOT interfering/deleting him from the timeline when they could have.

eversonpoe
01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
I've just finished Season 5 after giving up on it last year.

12 episodes of fetch-quests and a rushed finale, great. I'm going to sell my Fringe blu-rays, this season has killed the whole thing for me. Infact it's put me off TV shows, after Breaking Bad ends I think I'll just stick to films.

wow...that's pretty depressing. did it really bother you so much to put you off from any tv shows?

also, it's hard to have a proper finale when your normal season run is half of what it has been for the entire rest of the run of your show. plus, i think we all know jj abrams shows don't really end the way we wish they would...

Fixer808
05-29-2013, 02:25 AM
Onto disc 3 of season 5, have avoided all spoilers.
"Walter, are you tripping?"
"Most definitely."

Trains
05-29-2013, 06:32 AM
Started watching this show a couple of months back and finally watched the Season 5 finale last night. Wow. Seriously, I didn't expect the end to be that emotional. Considering I only started to really give a shit about Olivia and Peter from the end of Season 2 onward, I was surprised by how much I didn't want to see them go. Reading back through this thread I can tell a lot of people didn't feel the final season was that strong, but I loved the Observer-invasion-arc. It reminded me of a classic X-Men story, 'Days of Future Past'. Seriously, I loved it; the dystopian setting, the rebellion vs oppression thing. Yeah, it wasn't super-intelligent stuff, but it kept me engrossed. So many little fan-service moments throughout, great character moments. Probably my favorite season, after the whole 'machine' arc in season 2 and 3.

The only thing I couldn't completely grasp was the gold timeline story-arc in season 4. I got most of it, but I was never really clear: was Peter in a third, separate place from the setting of seasons 1-3, or was he in the same universe but time had been re-written, so Olivia et al didn't recognize him? :confused:

Fixer808
05-30-2013, 02:36 AM
Nina, NOOOO!!