PDA

View Full Version : ninwiki

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

sheepdean
06-25-2015, 06:25 AM
If memory serves correctly, when Trent put the instrumental version of TDS on remix.nin.com, wasn't the version of Hurt non-instrumental? Or a rough mix or something?
Some of the instrumentals are pure "the same but no lyrics" but yeah most had a variation or two. I'll bung that in notes (or piggy will when I'm not looking), for now I want to get everything done before I fill in notes though

Ryan
06-25-2015, 06:31 AM
Some of the instrumentals are pure "the same but no lyrics" but yeah most had a variation or two. I'll bung that in notes (or @piggy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568) will when I'm not looking), for now I want to get everything done before I fill in notes though

Unmastered, that's right:

Hurt (Instrumental)Released by Reznor via his remix.nin.com (http://www.nin.wiki/Remix.nin.com) account, this unmastered instrumental version is identical to the album version, save the lack of vocals

fillow
06-25-2015, 06:35 AM
I think AWP deserves an "unmastered" note too (weren't they all?), because AWP (instrumental) doesn't make sense.
Hurt sounded to me like an instrumental of Quiet version. Maybe that's just me.
Will Still versions be counted?

edit
The Beauty of Being Numb also has parts from Eraser in it (on top of Aphex Twin part)

sheepdean
06-25-2015, 06:56 AM
fillow the actual AWP instrumental IS slightly different to the album version (couple of seconds of fade changed), so it still works. And yeah I think Hurt's is of Quiet, but that all goes in notes which I'm not going to do much with until I'm finished, as some of these tracks could have paragraphs' worth of notes.

Still versions aren't remixes. If I did every alt take, I'd have to include Closure/AATCHB/BYIT and then would we count Ghosts Piggy and so on, it's simpler to say just remixes. Unless everyone disagrees.

katara
06-25-2015, 09:26 AM
Still versions aren't remixes. If I did every alt take, I'd have to include Closure/AATCHB/BYIT and then would we count Ghosts Piggy and so on, it's simpler to say just remixes. Unless everyone disagrees.
What about the version of Eraser played in 1996 (?). It's like a completely new song. What would that count as?

sheepdean
06-25-2015, 09:28 AM
What about the version of Eraser played in 1996 (?). It's like a completely new song. What would that count as?
That's clearly an alternate take yes, but therein lies the problem - for some songs, they sound different on every tour. So, if we just stick to official released remixes (and instrumentals because they're functionally different), then there's a clear definition. Otherwise we'll get 500 versions of MOTP for each time he changed the end.

Now, if we made a page for different arrangements...

sheepdean
06-25-2015, 10:14 AM
I'm calling it pretty much ~done~

Track lengths need to be added to a few, which I (or someone else) can do in a bit, but I've done the main body of it and, as far as I know, included every track which was my main goal

Also it turns out that it is now the third longest page on the site, and will probably jump to second once the notes and anything I've forgotten are all added

m15a
06-25-2015, 10:16 AM
I've started work on the remixes page (only taken me like, 4 years to actually start it...) http://www.nin.wiki/Remixes

Thanks! And I agree with all your choices as far as I can see.

It's useful to have all the alternative mixes (and takes) in one place. Makes sense to me to leave different live performance variations to a different project/page.

fillow
06-25-2015, 11:12 AM
What needs to added, from the top of my head:
Vinyl edits of The Fragile songs
Ghosts/demon seed connection

sheepdean
06-25-2015, 11:52 AM
What needs to added, from the top of my head:
Vinyl edits of The Fragile songs
Ghosts/demon seed connection
Yeah I was thinking about vinyl alt versions, but unless someone wants to mail me a copy of it on vinyl, it's kinda hard to be sure which ones are really different, idk if I'd consider simply a crossfade a version ya know?

38 Ghosts/DS I kinda wanted to put in but I wasn't sure how to write it. Do I say Demon Seed takes parts of 38?

fillow
06-25-2015, 03:45 PM
I would say both songs are alt versions of the other. Why not?

sheepdean
06-25-2015, 03:50 PM
I would say both songs are alt versions of the other. Why not?
38G came first though? Like, you wouldn't say TDS incorporates part of The Beginning of the End's remix

Ryan
06-28-2015, 04:25 AM
Yeah I was thinking about vinyl alt versions, but unless someone wants to mail me a copy of it on vinyl, it's kinda hard to be sure which ones are really different, idk if I'd consider simply a crossfade a version ya know?

38 Ghosts/DS I kinda wanted to put in but I wasn't sure how to write it. Do I say Demon Seed takes parts of 38?

Re: vinyl, it's listed on The Fragile page:

Differences To The CD VersionMany of the tracks on the vinyl release differ from their CD equivalent:

"The Day the World Went Away" has a longer guitar intro
"The Wretched" has an extended outro
"Even Deeper" features an elongated middle section
"La Mer" has a longer intro and an extended ending with more speech samples
"Pilgrimage" does not fade in, but rather begins building without any volume adjusting
"The Mark Has Been Made" does not feature the introduction of "10 Miles High" fading in at the end (the hidden bit of music in the pre-gap of "Please" on the CD version)
"I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" begins with the full strings sample
"Ripe" does not include the "With Decay" ending section, but rather fades out as the slinking guitars play the main riff
"The Wretched," "We're in This Together," "Even Deeper," "Pilgrimage," "The Mark Has Been Made," "10 Miles High," "The New Flesh" and "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" all do not crossfade as on the CD version, because these songs either end or begin their respective sides

Jon
06-28-2015, 08:52 AM

What about:

Demon Seed contains elements of 38 Ghosts
(or)
Demon Seed is an interpolation of 38 Ghosts

I think it technically fits the definition of a musical interpolation.

Ryan
06-30-2015, 02:18 AM
As well as instrumental versions of Everything and Came Back Haunted, there is also one for Copy Of A you need to add.

Ignore the above. Only Everything and CBH exist as far as we know (and only 30 second samples at that).

WorzelG
06-30-2015, 02:27 AM
Re: vinyl, it's listed on The Fragile page:

Differences To The CD Version

Many of the tracks on the vinyl release differ from their CD equivalent:

"The Day the World Went Away" has a longer guitar intro
"The Wretched" has an extended outro
"Even Deeper" features an elongated middle section
"La Mer" has a longer intro and an extended ending with more speech samples
"Pilgrimage" does not fade in, but rather begins building without any volume adjusting
"The Mark Has Been Made" does not feature the introduction of "10 Miles High" fading in at the end (the hidden bit of music in the pre-gap of "Please" on the CD version)
"I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" begins with the full strings sample
"Ripe" does not include the "With Decay" ending section, but rather fades out as the slinking guitars play the main riff
"The Wretched," "We're in This Together," "Even Deeper," "Pilgrimage," "The Mark Has Been Made," "10 Miles High," "The New Flesh" and "I'm Looking Forward to Joining You, Finally" all do not crossfade as on the CD version, because these songs either end or begin their respective sides

WTF? Ten miles high, the new flesh etc are actually on the vinyl version? I thought the only change was appendage

nemesiswontdie
06-30-2015, 04:31 AM
WTF? Ten miles high, the new flesh etc are actually on the vinyl version? I thought the only change was appendage

Appendage is exclusive to the cassette, not the vinyl.

katara
06-30-2015, 05:05 AM
I've started work on the remixes page (only taken me like, 4 years to actually start it...) http://www.nin.wiki/Remixes

Should The Beauty of Being Numb count as a remix of both Mr. Self Destruct and Eraser? It uses plenty of elements from both songs.

Ryan
06-30-2015, 05:35 AM

Yes they are. That's why people are hoping the reissue has the vinyl version on CD as well as appendage.

The cd, vinyl and cassette versions of The Fragile all differ.

sheepdean
06-30-2015, 01:42 PM
Well time to add all that OH WAIT NOW I HAVE TO ADD THE NEW SHIT TOO

By the way: Appendage is listed in the instrumentals as standalone, should it get its own page on ninwiki then, rather than being part of Please?

BenAkenobi
06-30-2015, 01:53 PM
Make an article called Appendage's Paradox :D

sheepdean
06-30-2015, 01:57 PM
I'm currently editing remixes so no one else jump in on it until I'm done if possible, this is a big one (obviously)

sheepdean
06-30-2015, 02:43 PM
Ok all new instrumentals added, piggy and seasonsinthesky work your magic!

I'll sort out the appendage page

Jg23666
06-30-2015, 03:07 PM
The remix list, which is very handy, is missing the Future Funk Squad remix of Disappointed. By the way, is there any way to buy that remix? I can't find it anywhere. (Failing that, would anyone be able to kindly PM me?)

sheepdean
06-30-2015, 03:09 PM
The remix list, which is very handy, is missing the Future Funk Squad remix of Disappointed. By the way, is there any way to buy that remix? I can't find it anywhere. (Failing that, would anyone be able to kindly PM me?)
The list won't include fan/unofficial remixes, so that's not going on. According to https://soundcloud.com/futurefunksquad/disappointed-ffs-remix-128kps it came with their last album on preorder

Jg23666
06-30-2015, 04:15 PM
Sorry, for whatever reason I thought it was an official mix.

sheepdean
06-30-2015, 04:17 PM
Sorry, for whatever reason I thought it was an official mix.
It's cool, part of the reason for the list was to make the official ones stand out more - much as the dude rocks, TweakerRay's remixes end up in the "official" lists way too often, for example

Jg23666
06-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Yeah, I think I assumed it was official because it is listed as a version on the wiki's page for "Disappointed".

sheepdean
06-30-2015, 04:38 PM
Yeah, I think I assumed it was official because it is listed as a version on the wiki's page for "Disappointed".
..weird. That's removed, cheers lol

piggy
07-01-2015, 12:48 AM
The entries on the Remixes page for TWOIT and Complication didn't make sense to me, so I assumed that you mixed something up and I changed them accordingly. If I did it wrong, I apologize and you should go ahead and change it. Also, is there an alt version of The Frail?

sheepdean
07-01-2015, 12:52 AM
The entries on the Remixes page for TWOIT and Complication didn't make sense to me, so I assumed that you mixed something up and I changed them accordingly. If I did it wrong, I apologize and you should go ahead and change it. Also, is there an alt version of The Frail?
Seems fine by me, must've just got messed up with it all

And yeah there is a Frail one, I didn't have it in the original download so must've forgotten, fixing

Ryan
07-01-2015, 01:12 AM
Can someone add the alternative With Teeth instrumental artwork mentioned in the other thread here pls?

http://www.nin.wiki/With_Teeth_(halo)#Instrumental_Version

Ryan
07-01-2015, 08:49 AM
Can someone add the alternative With Teeth instrumental artwork mentioned in the other thread here pls?

http://www.nin.wiki/With_Teeth_(halo)#Instrumental_Version

sheepdean - same thing needs to be done with the flower artwork to be added here:

http://www.nin.wiki/The_Fragile_(halo)#Instrumental_Version

RJK
07-01-2015, 08:57 AM
sheepdean - same thing needs to be done with the flower artwork to be added here:

http://www.nin.wiki/The_Fragile_(halo)#Instrumental_Version

Flower artwork?

sheepdean
07-01-2015, 09:13 AM
I second that, Flower artwork?

Jon
07-01-2015, 09:27 AM
I second that, Flower artwork?

There's 2 pictures for The Fragile (instrumental) album, as well. I don't have a copy, but I noticed it when I was scrolling through the playlist for track times yesterday.

EDIT: The one in this preview...

http://i59.tinypic.com/351b9cp.png

seasonsinthesky
07-01-2015, 01:08 PM
I already posted it on the Talk page, but the page for The March needs to be integrated into the one for Skin Of A Drum, since that was the first chronological release of the song. The March should be listed as an alternate version.

Ryan
07-01-2015, 06:30 PM
Yeah sheepdean, add it plz.

sheepdean
07-01-2015, 06:33 PM
I already posted it on the Talk page, but the page for The March needs to be integrated into the one for Skin Of A Drum, since that was the first chronological release of the song. The March should be listed as an alternate version.
Rebuttal posted, let us fight it on the beaches

(the first chronological release isn't the prime release anyway, the album version is, otherwise many songs would be their live or single versions)

Ryan
07-01-2015, 08:20 PM
Also, I'm confused.

On the Remixes page it says there is an alt instrumental version of Pilgrimage, but on the page for The Fragile it says there isn't one.

wat. Is there or isn't there?

sheepdean
07-01-2015, 08:22 PM
Also, I'm confused.

On the Remixes page it says there is an alt instrumental version of Pilgrimage, but on the page for The Fragile it says there isn't one.

wat. Is there or isn't there?
Pilgrimage wasn't on the playlist of TF:I, but it was uploaded with the rest

Ryan
07-01-2015, 08:26 PM
Pilgrimage wasn't on the playlist of TF:I, but it was uploaded with the rest

Man, for someone as OCD as Trent you wouldn't think he'd forget to add those to The Fragile playlist lol.

Can you please edit The Fragile page that says it isn't there?

sheepdean
07-01-2015, 08:29 PM
Man, for someone as OCD as Trent you wouldn't think he'd forget to add those to The Fragile playlist lol.

Can you please edit The Fragile page that says it isn't there?
Sure, though you know you can edit too :P

Ryan
07-01-2015, 08:31 PM
Sure, though you know you can edit too :P

I'm at work so limited to what I can do. Also need you to add in the other alternate artwork to The Fragile page with the flowers. Or piggy can do it.

sheepdean
07-01-2015, 08:35 PM
I'm at work so limited to what I can do. Also need you to add in the other alternate artwork to The Fragile page with the flowers. Or @piggy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568) can do it.
I don't have it, only that screenshot

Ryan
07-01-2015, 08:42 PM
Find it bitch!

piggy
07-01-2015, 10:42 PM
I need one of you guys to put the running time for Pilgrimage (Alt) on the Remixes page, please. I don't have the tracks.

I also need someone with the power to edit the Main Page to put a link to the Remixes page in that 'points of interest' section (I can't anymore since the last revamp of the wiki.) I think it should say 'List Of Official NIN Remixes' and just to be OCD about those three sections looking the same size, let's put that in place of the link that says 'Related Bands And Artists' (I put it there, so I don't care if it's taken away.)

Ryan
07-01-2015, 10:49 PM
piggy, why do I know so little about you?

PM me with your life story please, or a condensed version.

sheepdean
07-03-2015, 12:01 PM
Realised the demos on HM aren't on the wiki yet. How should we format the names, the usual "Untitled from ...", or "Demo 1 from .." or what?

PhoenixML
07-03-2015, 01:31 PM
Untitled instrumental Hesitation Marks demo from interview with Trent Reznor 1

(or UIHMDFIWTR1)

[sorry, I just always have the urge to absolutly joke and state the longest name as possible]

sheepdean
07-03-2015, 01:51 PM
Untitled instrumental Hesitation Marks demo from interview with Trent Reznor 1

(or UIHMDFIWTR1)

[sorry, I just always have the urge to absolutly joke and state the longest name as possible]
I like calling 999,999 "NHANNTNHANN", so I'm with you :P

eversonpoe
07-03-2015, 04:53 PM
I like calling 999,999 "NHANNTNHANN", so I'm with you :P

it's technically not correct to say "and" when describing a number unless you are indicating a decimal place. so it should actually be NNNTNNN

sheepdean
07-03-2015, 05:19 PM
it's technically not correct to say "and" when describing a number unless you are indicating a decimal place. so it should actually be NNNTNNN
It is in British English :P

m15a
07-03-2015, 10:27 PM

I was almost going to make a joke earlier about how I knew someone was going to say that you shouldn't say "and" and someone was going to say "'and' means a decimal point", so I'd cut to the chase and pre-respond that there are different standards and "and" does not mean "decimal point" it means "plus" (or "plus" means "and"). You didn't actually say that second part, but if we're being picky, "and" is used to indicate the sum of a whole number and a fraction and the decimal point is used to separate a whole number part and fraction part that are being added. :p

sheepdean
07-06-2015, 06:29 PM
I think I buried myself so:

Realised the demos on HM aren't on the wiki yet. How should we format the names, the usual "Untitled from ...", or "Demo 1 from .." or what?

I want to add them but considering I ended up disliking what I did for Quake's tracks, some consensus would be nice!

seasonsinthesky
07-06-2015, 07:16 PM
Since we know the origin, it seems best to make them Hesitation Marks Demo 1-3. The last one should just be in the "All Time Low" article.

sheepdean
07-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Since we know the origin, it seems best to make them Hesitation Marks Demo 1-3. The last one should just be in the "All Time Low" article.
Would "Demo 1 from HM" be better, just to fit our existing style?

seasonsinthesky
07-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I was under the impression we only have that because "Untitled from thingsfallingapart.com" was so named by TR on remix.nin.com. I dunno why we even have an article for the HLAH untitled track, as it seems better as a note in the Halo 3 article. It's ridiculous it's categorized in the Rare and Never Played Live lists.

There are no other untitled demos besides the HM ones, right? I'm not sure why the demo titling has to necessarily follow the untitled track titling. Especially since, in this case, it'd make for stupidly long article titles and URLs.

But I guess it's only ever sheepdean and I who debate these things anyway. :p

sheepdean
07-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I was under the impression we only have that because "Untitled from thingsfallingapart.com" was so named by TR on remix.nin.com. I dunno why we even have an article for the HLAH untitled track, as it seems better as a note in the Halo 3 article. It's ridiculous it's categorized in the Rare and Never Played Live lists.

There are no other untitled demos besides the HM ones, right? I'm not sure why the demo titling has to necessarily follow the untitled track titling. Especially since, in this case, it'd make for stupidly long article titles and URLs.

But I guess it's only ever sheepdean and I who debate these things anyway. :p
We do, but once that happened, the others kinda followed suit. And the HLAH because, well, it's a track that contains noise on a nin release that was at least edited for it. It qualifies as a nin track imo, but fuck I wish it didn't. Probably shouldn't be on the never played list, but it belongs on rare imo.

Afaik there are no other unnamed demos, although technically Slate/Twist are as we don't really know their names, they're named on the bootleg by its creator. And idk, but I feel like we should mention source and track to prevent possible future confusion if more tracks happen over the years, and I feel the track title (even if it's simply called "demo" or "untitled") is more important than its source in a title. It's 1 Ghosts I not Ghosts I 1 after all

seasonsinthesky
07-06-2015, 08:59 PM
Ghosts is a special case, though. It doesn't make sense to refer to its naming convention outside the album itself. (Ever think about how messy the wiki'd be if we didn't get files or a Bluray with track titles labelled? Would've been some Selected Ambient Works II-level bullshit!)

I guess I agree with "Demo 1 from Hesitation Marks" then. Parentheses are your call.

Do we have to make a page for the interview track? Ugh.

sheepdean
07-06-2015, 09:20 PM
Ah fuck interview tracks. Non edited, non musical.

If someone wants to make them, I wouldn't stop them, but really, fuck them lol.

So what's your toss on "Demo 1 (from Hezzytayshun Marks)" vs "Demo 1 from Hazytation Markz"? And of course we can call them [[link|Demo 1]] when actually linking to them unless source is essential

seasonsinthesky
07-06-2015, 09:22 PM
I guess parentheses are best for futureproofing, as it were. Still your call though. I'm not making the pages!

sheepdean
07-06-2015, 09:24 PM
Hah I just want a consensus, moving pages is annoying because redirects slow everything down.

Demo 1 (from HM) it is, now I have to actually re-listen to them :P

sheepdean
07-06-2015, 09:42 PM
I'm going to include the "rare nin songs" cat as it's only on one version of the release, like Home.

sheepdean
07-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Working on a demos page to sister the remixes one, but I'm not sure how I feel about the layout. I didn't want to match the remixes' one, as most songs don't have more than 1 demo if they have any at all, but I feel I can improve, thoughts? http://www.nin.wiki/User:Sheepdean/Demo (obviously WIP)

Also, what's the actual origins of Demos & Remixes? Is it just fan remixes that seem like demos, or are they actually sourced demos with no explicable origin?

Ryan
07-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Ambitious sheepdean is ambitious.

sheepdean
07-07-2015, 06:15 PM
I like the idea of the wiki being definitive and usable. To categorise all the remixes was sensible, to categorise all the demos just feels logical.

Stop me if I try categorising art variations

Ryan
07-07-2015, 06:27 PM
I like the idea of the wiki being definitive and usable. To categorise all the remixes was sensible, to categorise all the demos just feels logical.

I like it too. In fact, I think I'd let you do the latter.

seasonsinthesky
07-07-2015, 06:31 PM
I'm going to include the "rare nin songs" cat as it's only on one version of the release, like Home.

If you mean the demos, it's on both the iTunes and HDTracks versions. I guess you could call it a "digital only" bonus?

piggy
07-07-2015, 06:32 PM
The demos on D&R are legit, but they are alternate demos to what's on PF and I don't think anyone knows their provenance. Also, what D&R refers to as a demo of "Suck" is the original Pigface version. There's nothing fan-made on that bootleg, to my knowledge. All legit, but some of it is mislabeled and some was already commercially available.

sheepdean
07-07-2015, 06:37 PM
The demos on D&R are legit, but they are alternate demos to what's on PF and I don't think anyone knows their provenance. Also, what D&R refers to as a demo of "Suck" is the original Pigface version. There's nothing fan-made on that bootleg, to my knowledge. All legit, but some of it is mislabeled and some was already commercially available.
Yeah, I'll be including Suck solely because many people think it IS a demo, and they'd be expecting it there. With a note of how it isn't one.

And I do believe some of the D&R demos are real, I just have no idea where they come from, at least with PF we have a vague understanding of a studio tech, and knowledge that it's a whole album. I'll try to include them all but I am suspicious of DII Demo IV.

If you mean the demos, it's on both the iTunes and HDTracks versions. I guess you could call it a "digital only" bonus?

Not on Amazon, HDtracks UK and a few other digital providers though. But it's not like NIN doesn't have a history of a myriad of versions for albums lol

Ryan
07-07-2015, 11:43 PM

Are you saying there is an instrumental only version of Home somewhere?

seasonsinthesky
07-08-2015, 12:52 AM
Are you saying there is an instrumental only version of Home somewhere?
My post was about "Trent Reznor in Conversation With..." Sorry to get your hopes up ;)

Ryan
07-08-2015, 12:54 AM
Dang diddly diddly!

billpulsipher
07-08-2015, 01:31 AM
I heard the demos from demos and remixes (tracks 1-5) are from a sep recording session POST purest feeling.....rumor was those songs were from the same studio sessions that were on that tape atkins was pimping on ebay a few years ago....either way there has been numerous stories on how TR demoed that album to death before he went in to record it...who knows what the dates are but post PF and pre PHM would probably be winter/spring 89 era

Jon
07-08-2015, 02:43 AM
And I do believe some of the D&R demos are real, I just have no idea where they come from, at least with PF we have a vague understanding of a studio tech, and knowledge that it's a whole album. I'll try to include them all but I am suspicious of DII Demo IV.

I'd have to figure out exactly which interview/biography CD it is (most of them have the same TR interviews), but in one he specifically says that there were at least 5-6 different completed mixes/versions for each track on PHM. If I remember correctly, he credited that to the number of producers + trying to figure out what he/they liked.

I wonder what mixes were on the version that was originally presented to TVT?

sheepdean
07-11-2015, 07:02 PM
What's everyone's opinion on having a page for fakes? Angel, It All Fades etc?

fillow
07-12-2015, 01:48 PM
^^
Good idea, if it's one page that contains all of them. No need for individual entries.
I suspect this page might eventually have more Tapeworm fakes than NIN ones

sheepdean
07-12-2015, 02:21 PM
So, page title ideas? "Fake songs" or "Fake NIN songs" or something? I'll probably make a simple bullet list with what the track really is in bold?

Atu
07-12-2015, 03:38 PM
Maybe "Songs incorrectly attributed to NIN"?

fillow
07-12-2015, 04:21 PM
I think a similar page at MansonWiki would a good examle

sheepdean
07-12-2015, 04:30 PM
I think a similar page at MansonWiki would a good examle
Got a link? I'm not active there

seasonsinthesky
07-12-2015, 04:38 PM
Got a link? I'm not active there

http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/List_of_fake_Marilyn_Manson_songs

They even have that TL cover I mentioned on FB. xD

Ryan
07-12-2015, 09:41 PM
So, page title ideas? "Fake songs" or "Fake NIN songs" or something? I'll probably make a simple bullet list with what the track really is in bold?

How aboot

Un-NIN

sheepdean
07-12-2015, 09:52 PM
That list seems a good format

I'm torn between "fake nin songs" (fake I don't think I like though, as it carries more implications that just misattribution) and Atu 's "list of songs incorrectly attributed to NIN", which feels kinda long

Ryan
07-12-2015, 09:59 PM
MistakeNIN

sheepdean
07-12-2015, 10:03 PM
If I can't make the instrumentals category NINstrumentals, then no one can have fun dammit

Atu
07-13-2015, 04:44 AM
which feels kinda long

It can always be shortened to "Songs incorrectly attributed to NIN" for page title and "incorrectly attributed" for url.

m15a
07-13-2015, 10:42 AM
That list seems a good format

I'm torn between "fake nin songs" (fake I don't think I like though, as it carries more implications that just misattribution) and @Atu (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=804) 's "list of songs incorrectly attributed to NIN", which feels kinda long

Why not just "misattributed songs"? Isn't the fact that the misattribution is to "NIN" implied by being on the ninwiki?

Otherwise, it could be "songs misattributed to NIN".

seasonsinthesky
07-13-2015, 11:03 AM
If anything, the URL needs to be shorter than the page title, not the other way around. I guess redirects can help it though.

Ultimately, the page needs to be the "List of songs misattributed to Nine Inch Nails." That's just what it is.

Jon
07-13-2015, 12:31 PM

Haha, I already do that for digital "versions". It's actually quite useful, but I can imagine it being a bitch to do for a wiki. If you ever do decide to take that dark path, I can help with Amazon/iTunes art variations.

sheepdean
07-13-2015, 12:41 PM
Haha, I already do that for digital "versions". It's actually quite useful, but I can imagine it being a bitch to do for a wiki. If you ever do decide to take that dark path, I can help with Amazon/iTunes art variations.
Ah I'm tempted, but then I'd need cassette and stuff too

Why not just "misattributed songs"? Isn't the fact that the misattribution is to "NIN" implied by being on the ninwiki?

Otherwise, it could be "songs misattributed to NIN".
You know, I'm down for "songs misattributed to NIN". Doesn't need the "list of" prefix I guess

Jon
07-17-2015, 01:16 PM
@sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350)

Here are the source files for the Gone Girl Outtakes artwork from Apple Connect:
• Thumbnail (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-pFPN3gFrfzZGloYWM3TXRkc3c) (112x112 .jpg; 96 dpi @ 24-bits)
• Full-size (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-pFPN3gFrfzem5TUTM5NTYxVWM) (750x730 .jpg; 96 dpi @ 24-bits)

Then there is the "Trent Reznor" Apple Connect background:
• Full-size (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-pFPN3gFrfzVlFJVUVoUDFaRjQ) (1200x600 .jpg; 71 dpi @ 8-bits)

EDIT:
"Recording At Risk For Gone Girl" screenshot from Apple Connect:
• Full-size (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-pFPN3gFrfzU3ROY3lROE0tbjQ) (1280x720 .jpg; 1 dpi @ 24-bits)

sheepdean
07-17-2015, 02:10 PM
You're a star

Jon
07-18-2015, 01:37 AM
Here are the "playlist covers" for the 2 instrumental albums (source files, same name fyi).

• The Fragile (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-pFPN3gFrfzY2p2bzUxcU9Qd1E) (2400x2400 .jpg; 96 dpi @ 24-bits) -- this is the flower cover; the "progress bar" at the bottom is part of the cover, I guess
• With Teeth (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-pFPN3gFrfzOVcyMTZzTGliSGs) (2400x2400 .jpg; 96 dpi @ 24-bits)

Note: I call these "playlist covers" as they are from the Apple [Connect] website (not embedded in the audio).

sheepdean
07-25-2015, 11:04 PM
http://www.nin.wiki/Songs_misattributed_to_NIN

Started on the page, please remind me of any I've missed and add your own/expand

And, in unrelated new: TOIOU has five releases now on their page. I think it's time they got some standalone pages http://www.nin.wiki/This_One_Is_On_Us

_T_B_W_
07-27-2015, 12:57 AM
I'd say include ACIDDANCE.mid on there.
And maybe At The Heart Of It All

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 01:16 AM
I'd say include ACIDDANCE.mid on there.
And maybe At The Heart Of It All
I'm totally down for ATHOIA, but has anyone ever actually labelled strobelight backing music as NIN?

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 01:27 AM
What was the name of the band that actually did the Zelda theme btw? That should be on there for sure

_T_B_W_
07-27-2015, 01:35 AM
I'm totally down for ATHOIA, but has anyone ever actually labelled strobelight backing music as NIN?
I'm sure at the time the original April fools joke happened, people were raising an eyebrow to the supposed track list of Strobe Light and those who were being featured on them. The background music made it more believable.
It's more of an inside joke for us these days. I labelled it NOT NIN on my iPod.
Not like it'll be devastating if you don't put it on there tbh :p

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 01:36 AM
To be honest, it does seem reasonable to put it on, I just find it ridiculous that someone could be fooled. Then again, I think that about Angel...

_T_B_W_
07-27-2015, 01:40 AM
To be honest, it does seem reasonable to put it on, I just find it ridiculous that someone could be fooled. Then again, I think that about Angel...
That, and some people believed Trent and David Bowie performed with Pink Floyd to play Comfortably Numb live, it's pretty cringe worthy.

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 01:41 AM
That, and some people believed Trent and David Bowie performed with Pink Floyd to play Comfortably Numb live, it's pretty cringe worthy.
Oh jesus fuck I forgot about that one. It'll go on the list, maybe tagged with "how the fuck can you think this sounds like Trent"

_T_B_W_
07-27-2015, 01:49 AM
Oh jesus fuck I forgot about that one. It'll go on the list, maybe tagged with "how the fuck can you think this sounds like Trent"
Haha seriously, I got super pissed when I first discovered it on YT, and while it may have been cool if that actually happened, I would think there would be a confirmed source for it on ninlive.

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 01:52 AM
Haha seriously, I got super pissed when I first discovered it on YT, and while it may have been cool if that actually happened, I would think there would be a confirmed source for it on ninlive.
Well Gilmour's out on tour this year, let's start a petition :P

I think I've got all the main ones on the list now. Though I'm sure there's some I'm missing and just managed to forget.

fillow
07-27-2015, 03:52 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure the Comfortable Numb should be by Pink Floyd or at least not David Gilmour. I never heard the version in question, but I'm fairly sure it was circulating long before Gilmour actually performed it with Bowie (which happened in 2006)

_T_B_W_
07-27-2015, 04:22 AM
Alright these are the last ones I can think of
Metal (idoliside mix) it was circling around TPB as part of a rare nin tracks and demos torrent (if memory serves right), and was considered an actual NIN Camp remix.
Supernaut, but I'm sure there's enough detail on which official cds has it, and if it's the Reznor version or Uncle Al's.

I remember there was a youtube video claiming to have an unreleased track. It had a nice piano melody that started and the beat was very Year Zero esque. Someone commented on the video the actual band the song was from, and that it was a hidden track on one of their albums, unfortunately I cant remember the band name. I think the video had the album cover from TDTWWA the entire duration of the video.

Edit:I found the video, the song was mislabeled as a NIN song called "The Last Inch" which was a supposed track on With Teeth. It's really by Apartment 26 on the album "Music For The Massive" as a hidden track. I actually really dig this song tbh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8k4grhciEo

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 06:09 AM
Uh, I'm pretty sure the Comfortable Numb should be by Pink Floyd or at least not David Gilmour. I never heard the version in question, but I'm fairly sure it was circulating long before Gilmour actually performed it with Bowie (which happened in 2006)
The version I've heard is the Bowie one, maybe there's a few?

Khrz
07-27-2015, 07:04 AM
What was the name of the band that actually did the Zelda theme btw? That should be on there for sure

You mean System of a Down ?

Edit : vvv Alrighty then !

BenAkenobi
07-27-2015, 07:44 AM
As you can see on my avatar, i'm no stranger to System of a down, they have a dozen or so unreleased tracks, Zelda is not among them, well-known hoax.

seasonsinthesky
07-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Alright these are the last ones I can think of
Metal (idoliside mix) it was circling around TPB as part of a rare nin tracks and demos torrent (if memory serves right), and was considered an actual NIN Camp remix.

Isn't that nearly identical to the Lee Completion mix? Or at least they both attempt to reconstruct the song using the samples that were available at the time?

_T_B_W_
07-27-2015, 10:25 AM
Isn't that nearly identical to the Lee Completion mix? Or at least they both attempt to reconstruct the song using the samples that were available at the time?
Strange, I looked into it and the version I was referring to was the Lee Completion mix, maybe mine was mislabeled as the idoliside mix because that's another remix done by somebody else. Either way, those aren't official remixes.

Jon
07-27-2015, 10:54 AM
I seem to remember a "Legend of Zelda" theme that was being passed around the internet; if you could give me a year I'd be able to find it.

The only Zelda mix I know of to be "legit" (and not a fan-done cover, etc.) is by Zedd (https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-legend-of-zelda-single/id438823525) (released in 2011, was around on the internet for a few years before that).

EDIT: Looks like it was 2008-2009? That is still within the timeframe for it being Zedd; some of his songs sat on MySpace for years before they were released.

EDIT2: Also, what about "Section B" for "The Beauty Of Being Numb"? That's another original composition by Richard D. James.

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 12:12 PM
I seem to remember a "Legend of Zelda" theme that was being passed around the internet; if you could give me a year I'd be able to find it.

The only Zelda mix I know of to be "legit" (and not a fan-done cover, etc.) is by Zedd (https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/the-legend-of-zelda-single/id438823525) (released in 2011, was around on the internet for a few years before that).

EDIT: Looks like it was 2008-2009? That is still within the timeframe for it being Zedd; some of his songs sat on MySpace for years before they were released.

EDIT2: Also, what about "Section B" for "The Beauty Of Being Numb"? That's another original composition by Richard D. James.
There is an old-as-butts zelda track that is labelled as a NIN cover, and it's not. I think there was like some kind of video game music cover band?

And TBOBN is a NIN track still - that'd be like saying Gunshots By Computer should be there as it's half Saul yaknow?

seasonsinthesky
07-27-2015, 01:13 PM
And TBOBN is a NIN track still - that'd be like saying Gunshots By Computer should be there as it's half Saul yaknow?

Err, no. No. They are different situations.

NIN made section A, the backmasked MSD. Aphex Twin made section B. Two different pieces, two different composer credits. I'm not sure it's worth listing in the page though. Perhaps mention it in the ATHOIA entry?

GSBC is the same situation as AWP Illum Tangendo. It's a remix. Composer credit to NIN, remix credit to SW.

Jon
07-27-2015, 02:30 PM
There is an old-as-butts zelda track that is labelled as a NIN cover, and it's not. I think there was like some kind of video game music cover band?

Oh, I'm way off. That was the one that Meathead did a rant about.

And, I'd have to agree with seasons on TBOBN; both of the Aphex Twin contributions to FDTS were original pieces.

fillow
07-27-2015, 03:26 PM
I don't agree with ATHOIA inclusion at all. So what if it's all Aphex, it was released on a NIN album, which makes it a legit NIN song. They could have recorded Josh Freese making farts and funny noises and put it onto The Slip instead of 999,999 and would still be a NIN song even w/o Trent. I also think that The Frail (Version) is entirely new recording (as is AVOTT remix), but they are still somehow have NIN as main performer

sheepdean
07-27-2015, 04:00 PM
I don't agree with ATHOIA inclusion at all. So what if it's all Aphex, it was released on a NIN album, which makes it a legit NIN song. They could have recorded Josh Freese making farts and funny noises and put it onto The Slip instead of 999,999 and would still be a NIN song even w/o Trent. I also think that The Frail (Version) is entirely new recording (as is AVOTT remix), but they are still somehow have NIN as main performer
Unless RDJ was ever a part of NIN, it's not though - it's not credited to NIN and it's not written by anyone who's ever been in the band, live or studio.

seasonsinthesky
07-27-2015, 06:05 PM
And TR/whoever would still have composition credit for the Frail and AVOTT "remixes" since they didn't change much of the original, just re-performed it. If anything, they blur remix and cover, not remix and original composition.

_T_B_W_
07-28-2015, 05:21 PM
Nintendo Power
If Meathead speaks the truth.

sheepdean
07-28-2015, 05:31 PM
Nintendo Power
If Meathead speaks the truth.
Meathead speaking the truth is like a 30% chance. Is there a better source than him?

_T_B_W_
07-28-2015, 05:46 PM
Meathead speaking the truth is like a 30% chance. Is there a better source than him?
While I did check if Nintendo Power was actually the cover band in question, all I got was a concert band of the same name. Judging by their early performances, they dont come near the time the track would've surfaced. Grr, where's Lisbeth when you need her.

Edit:Actually there isn't any concert band called that, just concert bands playing sheet music of Nintendo Power. I'm clueless at this point who really played it.

screwdriver
07-28-2015, 06:48 PM
While I did check if Nintendo Power was actually the cover band in question, all I got was a concert band of the same name. Judging by their early performances, they dont come near the time the track would've surfaced. Grr, where's Lisbeth when you need her.

Edit:Actually there isn't any concert band called that, just concert bands playing sheet music of Nintendo Power. I'm clueless at this point who really played it.

that track / recording is like from 1999 or earlier, aka the dark days before every scrap of knowledge was digitized on the net. there very well could be a cover band called nintendo power that disappeared into obscurity

angry_sniper1990
08-03-2015, 02:32 PM
I'll hit back by saying that meathead speaking the truth is 60% minus the earlier posts he did

sheepdean
02-08-2016, 04:08 AM
Think it's worth putting remastered versions onto the remixes page? (And at this point tempted to rename it Remixes And Alternate Versions)

tricil
02-08-2016, 06:42 PM
Think it's worth putting remastered versions onto the remixes page? (And at this point tempted to rename it Remixes And Alternate Versions)
No. Remasters are meant to replace the original in a collection, not complement it. At this point we only have two Remasters anyway: PHM 2010 and TDS 2004.

Seed_0
02-11-2016, 12:58 PM
Noticed that http://www.nin.wiki/Hammering_It_Home and http://www.nin.wiki/Shallow_Grave are the same.

GrayscaleRain
04-22-2016, 03:45 PM
No. Remasters are meant to replace the original in a collection, not complement it. At this point we only have two Remasters anyway: PHM 2010 and TDS 2004.

The only major exception to that, that I can think of, is Sanctified on the 2010 remaster has a few samples removed that make the song sound significantly different than the original recording.

tricil
04-22-2016, 03:50 PM
The only major exception to that, that I can think of, is Sanctified on the 2010 remaster has a few samples removed that make the song sound significantly different than the original recording.

True, but that's merely just a footnote on the sanctified page.

GrayscaleRain
04-22-2016, 03:55 PM
True, but that's merely just a footnote on the sanctified page.

Which is all that's really necessary. You could very well say for the tracks on PHM and Get Down Make Love "Remastered in 2010" and any changes made. I've always been a fan of having notable (actual commissioned or in-print) remixes (and the descriptions there-of) on the song pages rather than having a big page of remixed material. However, I can see why someone would want a comprehensive remix page. The remasters, however, I don't think qualify as remixes (even though they TECHNICALLY ARE remixes, more in the concept than anything that is a 'remix' could be considered one, as the tracks have literally be re-'mixed' and re-'mastered' (as in the terms of mixing, how the levels of the instruments are in a track, and mastering, how the track is compressed and equalized) rather than what we think of as 'remixing' which are re-arrangements or re-interpretations of tracks).

Ryan
06-30-2016, 11:40 PM
Do we add the cover for Juno on the front page next to Gone Girl?

Or just add it here and create a section for Null Co II and link it to its own page?

http://www.nin.wiki/Halo_numbers#Null_numbers

Ryan
06-30-2016, 11:56 PM
Ok, I added it here: http://www.nin.wiki/Halo_numbers#Null_numbers

Someone feel free to go ahead and make the Juno page.

edit: OK, I made the Juno page too. Feel free to refine it.

edit edit: I probably should have named the page "Juno_(single)" and made another one for "Juno_(song)" if anyone would like to rectify that, @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) maybe? Or is it good how it is?

sheepdean
07-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Ryan I'm at work, here's a stub to have fun with http://www.nin.wiki/Juno_(song)

Ryan
07-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Do we add the cover for Juno on the front page next to Gone Girl?

Or just add it here and create a section for Null Co II and link it to its own page?

http://www.nin.wiki/Halo_numbers#Null_numbers

I'm still undecided if we should put Juno on the main page next to Gone Girl. It's only 1 track, but at the same time we have all the other instrumental score work on the main page, and you can't get to it unless you click on Discography. What are yours thoughts Malechite?

Ryan
07-16-2016, 10:14 PM
Do we add this to the Gone Girl page somewhere?

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2835-Gone-Girl?p=309043#post309043

fillow
11-28-2016, 06:03 AM
Not a ninwiki, but rather a wikipedia question.
Does anyone think that Robin, Ilan and Ally's NIN membership should be displayed as ...-2014 (I do), or should they still be considered current members? (here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nine_Inch_Nails_band_members#Timeline)
I truly think there's no sense leaving them as current since the band is on hiatus for 2 years and the membership is usually attributed to live members anyway.

jmtd
11-28-2016, 08:41 AM
Does anyone think that Robin, Ilan and Ally's NIN membership should be displayed as ...-2014 (I do), or should they still be considered current members? (here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nine_Inch_Nails_band_members#Timeline)
I truly think there's no sense leaving them as current since the band is on hiatus for 2 years and the membership is usually attributed to live members anyway.

The timeline should probably stop at the last NIN activity anyway, and not stretch to the present since nothing has happened. Even Cargo In The Blood isn't really NIN activity (just an awesome affiliated thing)

Kulerage
11-28-2016, 09:58 AM
It's not THAT big of a deal really. Though they should be adjusted to end in 2014 if they don't stay for the next tour.

Ryan
12-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Can someone please add Patriots Day next to Before The Flood on the main page? We have info to add: http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4246-Patriots-Day?p=326508#post326508

simonn
12-17-2016, 12:12 AM
I was listening to Can I Stay Here, and Hello, Everything Is Not OK released on Apple Music last year (?) from TF Instrumentals just now in the wake of the recent re-issue news. Went to NIN Wiki, as it's driving me mad as to what the former song is derived from (is it Please?) and was surprised that NINwiki didn't contain that sort of info. Could the wiki entries could be fleshed out a bit rather than the just the standard 'never performed' etc if anyone has any time? :)

Ryan
12-17-2016, 05:42 AM
I was listening to Can I Stay Here, and Hello, Everything Is Not OK released on Apple Music last year (?) from TF Instrumentals just now in the wake of the recent re-issue news. Went to NIN Wiki, as it's driving me mad as to what the former song is derived from (is it Please?) and was surprised that NINwiki didn't contain that sort of info. Could the wiki entries could be fleshed out a bit rather than the just the standard 'never performed' etc if anyone has any time? :)

I'd be happy to. I'm sure @piggy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568) and @GrayscaleRain (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2442) would be too. And @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350).

So to start, do you think it is actually derived from "Please"?

Moreover, we need some main things done. @Malechite (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=7), can you do the first two and the fourth one? -

- Add main thumbnail image on main page for Patriots Day, and add info to it about the FYC sampler
that recently appeared on eBay to note alternate track names (and lengths if anyone knows)

- Add main thumbnail image on main page for new Not The Actual Events EP (ps, does this have a halo number?)

- Add info on Not The Actual Events page of the the artwork harking back to the AATCHB style; perhaps note how this is similar to how Hesitation Marks borrowed The Downward Spiral font

- Update current NIN lineup to Ilan, Eustis, Ally, TR and Atticus on main page. Also note the change of art director

- Add info about The Fragile Deviations on its respective page

- Add info about the vinyl reissues and details about them on their respective pages, particularly how the description for Broken says it will contain some secret stuff

chuenthez
12-17-2016, 05:56 AM
Maybe it is also time to update this page:
http://www.nin.wiki/Category:Trent_Reznor_and_Atticus_Ross_Songs

Juno is missing as well as Before the Flood stuff.

GrayscaleRain
12-17-2016, 06:29 AM
I'd be happy to. I'm sure @piggy (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=568) and @GrayscaleRain (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2442) would be too. And @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350).

Yeah, I wouldn't mind at all. ^_^ I'm in a much better place this time around, too, so I might actually be able to keep up with things if we get a touring cycle next year! <_< Huzzah! And song descriptions and blurbs are always fun to do. Haven't done one of those in a while.

As far as "Can I Stay Here?" goes, it may never have actually been used again or part of anything, though I WANT to say it sounds familiar. Maybe something off Ghosts? It's been a while since I listened to that, so I'll have to compare it. It does have the 'crunchiness' in the synth that Please does, but I don't think anything else matches.

Actually, on second thought, it does bear some similarities to a sped up "I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally." I might have to test that in Audacity...

simonn
12-17-2016, 06:52 AM

I'm fairly sure, the bass lines appear to be the same in the de facto 'verse' in Can I Stay Here as the Please verse but I wouldn't swear to it. Hopefully one of the other guys can confirm or refute? Or @teitan (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=109), seeing he's never off the board these days...:rolleyes:

Right, back to She's Got Claws...

Ryan
12-17-2016, 07:04 AM
Maybe it is also time to update this page:

Juno is missing as well as Before the Flood stuff.

Really? They're all appearing there for me (unless someone edited it recently?)

BTW, we also still need to add the BPM rates for Before The Flood here:

http://www.nin.wiki/List_Of_BPM_Rates

chuenthez
12-17-2016, 07:13 AM
Well, even by doing some F5 on it, I still don't see Juno and Before the flood on this very page :( ...

(I am talking about the "Category" page, not the individual song pages, those exist)

Ryan
12-17-2016, 04:31 PM
Well, even by doing some F5 on it, I still don't see Juno and Before the flood on this very page :( ...

(I am talking about the "Category" page, not the individual song pages, those exist)

This is strange. When I'm not logged in I don't see them, but when I'm logged in they are there... Have my edits not been approved or something? -

http://i65.tinypic.com/wko1uv.jpg

http://i68.tinypic.com/mvhs7c.jpg
sheepdean do you know why this is?

Beta
12-18-2016, 01:17 AM
did someone already see that nin.com links to ninwiki specific pages?

sheepdean
12-18-2016, 09:53 AM
@sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) do you know why this is?
...no. I assumed you've cleared cache?

chuenthez
12-18-2016, 11:20 AM
...no. I assumed you've cleared cache?
I've tried it on different places, cleaned cache, browser that presumably never saw nin.wiki, and still it is the "old" version of this page normal people see.

Ryan
12-18-2016, 11:56 PM
I've tried it on different places, cleaned cache, browser that presumably never saw nin.wiki, and still it is the "old" version of this page normal people see.

Anyone know how we can fix this?

TheBang
12-19-2016, 02:16 PM
Yup, I see the same thing as the others. If you're logged in, that category page lists 94 pages. Logged out/incognito mode, only 81 pages.

Ryan
12-19-2016, 04:19 PM
There's probably a real easy fix. If anyone works it out please let us know.

Ryan
12-20-2016, 01:58 AM
Yup, I see the same thing as the others. If you're logged in, that category page lists 94 pages. Logged out/incognito mode, only 81 pages.

I'm trying and trying to fix this but still nothing is working. Who is the admin for the site apart from Malechite? I really want to start adding info for the new releases but don't feel motivated to start until this gets sorted out.

fillow
12-20-2016, 03:44 AM
I know at Wikipedia there's some kind of internal cache which you can manually purge, if such action is enabled in your user settings. Sometimes this cache prevents displaying of newly created articles as bluelinks (they still shown as redlinks for some time) or updating transcluded templates. But this only lasts for a couple of hours at most, and I've never seen any problems with categories.

Ryan
12-20-2016, 04:18 AM
I tried playing around and changing some things but it still won't display them unless you're logged in. Frustrating.

Ryan
12-20-2016, 04:49 AM
I think I fixed it!

I followed these steps. Purging didn't work, but I did what it said about editing the page without editing anything and hitting Save:

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Purge

Purging will only update the rendering of the page, it won't update the link tables. These tables control lists that the page is listed in (For example, pages listed on category pages, Special:Whatlinkshere (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Special:WhatLinksHere), along with several other "query" special pages). In order to force an update of the link tables, you can do what is called a null edit. Click on "Edit" and save without changing anything. No entry in the page's history will appear, but all link tables should be refreshed.

chuenthez
12-20-2016, 04:54 AM
Well done and good to know (in case one day I am a ninwiki editor)

jmtd
12-20-2016, 05:35 AM
I was about to suggest that earlier but I wasn't logged in as mobile. Did something similar for The Doom Wiki (https://doomwiki.org/). Glad it's fixed for you.

Edit: is this wiki STILL HTTP only? I'm amaze-balled. Get some Lets Encrypt (http://letsencrypt.org) in your pipe and smoke it!

Ryan
12-20-2016, 05:49 AM
I see someone has added Deviations 1 to The Fragile page. Thanks whoever did that!

I just made this and the song pages. Feel free to add more content:

http://www.nin.wiki/Not_The_Actual_Events
(http://www.nin.wiki/Not_The_Actual_Events)

I'd create the Patriots Day page but I don't think we have the official track list yet, only the FYC one.

Ryan
12-20-2016, 10:18 AM
Update: added Deviations versions in these tables -

http://www.nin.wiki/Remixes#The_Fragile_Era

When I look at the tables I edited on the laptop they all look normal, but on my phone some seem a bit off with the cell structure. If anyone noticed any wiki code errors I may have made please go ahead and tweak them.

chuenthez
12-20-2016, 11:14 AM
Well, now that there is activity of ninwiki, I suggest some adds:

- On Closer to God (Halo), Heresy (song) and then their respective section in the remixes area: it should be mentioned the promo vinyl of Closer to God containing extended versions of Closer to God and Heresy (blind). This extended version is mentioned in the Closer to God section of Closer (song) though.
https://www.discogs.com/Nine-Inch-Nails-Closer-To-God/release/215082

- On Only (song), and its remix section: add the "radio edit" version, which lasts 4:01

piggy
12-20-2016, 11:01 PM
I see someone has added Deviations 1 to The Fragile page. Thanks whoever did that!
That was me and you're welcome. I also did a few of the other things you asked for.

When I look at the tables I edited on the laptop they all look normal, but on my phone some seem a bit off with the cell structure. If anyone noticed any wiki code errors I may have made please go ahead and tweak them.
Yeah, I'm seeing like a thin strip of extra cell space on the right hand side of TDTWWA but I can't figure out what caused it.

Ryan
12-20-2016, 11:14 PM
Soundtrack page created - feel free to add more content.

I edited "Seann" to "Sean":

http://www.nin.wiki/Patriots_Day_Soundtrack

Ryan
12-21-2016, 02:27 AM
Should we put the Deviations 1 release year as 2016 or 2017? Digital is out 2016 but physical product is 2017. I put 2017...

GrayscaleRain
12-21-2016, 03:45 AM
Should we put the Deviations 1 release year as 2016 or 2017? Digital is out 2016 but physical product is 2017. I put 2017... That's a tough call, though I would say the physical release as the digital downloads are just extra copies for those that have bought the physical. The actual product will be out in 2017 and it's a completely limited release as opposed to NTAE which is available everywhere on Friday. So probably a good call.

So a couple of things... curiosities really since I've been out of the loop for a while. One, kind of off the cuff, but I have a release that I'm not sure where it came from (I've had it since at least before With Teeth.) It's composed entirely of remixes and is called "This Is Where It All Begins". (I have it labeled as 2002.) I've seen a few of the things that are on it on the wiki, but not others so I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with it.

Another thing, it appears that all of the 42 Entertainment pages are dead. (I recall them being live earlier this year.) I'm sure there is a mirror SOMEWHERE (I remember people being particularly fervent about cataloging pretty much everything at that time.) I just don't know where one is. I'm not sure when this happened, it may be old news, but just something to point out.

xolotl
12-21-2016, 08:39 AM
That's a tough call, though I would say the physical release as the digital downloads are just extra copies for those that have bought the physical. The actual product will be out in 2017 and it's a completely limited release as opposed to NTAE which is available everywhere on Friday. So probably a good call.

OTOH, the Deviations digital files are going to be available a day before NTAE's, and it may be a bit weird to have their release dates flipped like that.

jmtd
12-21-2016, 08:51 AM

I fixed a bunch of these Yesterday.

seasonsinthesky
12-21-2016, 10:12 AM
I have a release that I'm not sure where it came from (I've had it since at least before With Teeth.) It's composed entirely of remixes and is called "This Is Where It All Begins". (I have it labeled as 2002.) I've seen a few of the things that are on it on the wiki, but not others so I was just wondering if anyone was familiar with it.

Never heard of it, so it's definitely unofficial. Probably one of the many fan-compiled things that were up for download over the years. What's the tracklist?

GrayscaleRain
12-21-2016, 04:24 PM
OTOH, the Deviations digital files are going to be available a day before NTAE's, and it may be a bit weird to have their release dates flipped like that. That's true. I mean, there's not really a right way of doing it? It's just, how do we want to do it? Yanno?

Never heard of it, so it's definitely unofficial. Probably one of the many fan-compiled things that were up for download over the years. What's the tracklist?

Yeah, that's what I figured, I just thought it was interesting because it has some unique stuff on it...
Let's see...

1) The New Flesh (This Is How It All Begins) - 1:20
2) The Day The World Went Away (Blue) - 6:00
3) No, You Don't (Version) - 4:23
4) La Mer (Version) - 5:15
5) The Day The World Went Away (Red) - 8:04
6) We're In This Together (Version) - 3:15
7) The Fragile (Version) - 6:10
8) The Day The World Went Away (Green) - 4:12
9) Appendage - 2:41
10) The New Flesh (Version) - 1:07
11) Even Deeper (Love Dub) - 4:32

I've heard that some of it was released through nin.com during the Fragile days, we know what Appendage is, and I know where the Telefon Tel Aviv song came from but THAT wasn't released until 2007, well into the Year Zero days. I'm positive I have had this compilation since before that? Or perhaps I'd just heard the individual songs before and forgotten they didn't all go together. Hard to say. Also I can't find any info on the 'color' remixes for TDTWWA.

seasonsinthesky
12-21-2016, 04:40 PM
I've heard that some of it was released through nin.com during the Fragile days, we know what Appendage is, and I know where the Telefon Tel Aviv song came from but THAT wasn't released until 2007, well into the Year Zero days. I'm positive I have had this compilation since before that? Or perhaps I'd just heard the individual songs before and forgotten they didn't all go together. Hard to say. Also I can't find any info on the 'color' remixes for TDTWWA.

Ah yes, I remember the color mixes because it was a cool naming convention but the actual mixes are fucking awful.

"Even Deeper (Love Dub)" was played live by TTA way back in the day, and a decent recording of one of their shows used to circulate, which included their ED remix – I still have it cropped out of the show file. Kinda wish I'd kept the rest of it; I love TTA more now than I did then. So this may use the live recording. And this was probably around the time you're talking about, because I got it from an FTP server, and that wasn't exactly super common in 2007.

The color remixes are just fan bullshit. And I believe both TNF versions are the short pieces from thingsfallingapart.com, which means one is a TNF mix and one is "Untitled (from thingsfallingapart.com)" according to TR's official uploads on remix.nin.com.

GrayscaleRain
12-21-2016, 04:52 PM
Ah yes, I remember the color mixes because it was a cool naming convention but the actual mixes are fucking awful.

"Even Deeper (Love Dub)" was played live by TTA way back in the day, and a decent recording of one of their shows used to circulate, which included their ED remix – I still have it cropped out of the show file. Kinda wish I'd kept the rest of it; I love TTA more now than I did then. So this may use the live recording. And this was probably around the time you're talking about, because I got it from an FTP server, and that wasn't exactly super common in 2007.

The color remixes are just fan bullshit. And I believe both TNF versions are the short pieces from thingsfallingapart.com, which means one is a TNF mix and one is "Untitled (from thingsfallingapart.com)" according to TR's official uploads on remix.nin.com.

I don't think they're THAT bad, but I can definitely seen them being fan mixes. The Version ones are interesting, too. The only one I don't have confirmation about it being on nin.com is the one of WITT though I imagine that was done by Hillebrandt, like the others. Could be wrong, though. (It makes liberal use of the "I" from the beginning of each verse but is otherwise completely instrumental.)

seasonsinthesky
12-21-2016, 05:32 PM
The only one I don't have confirmation about it being on nin.com is the one of WITT though I imagine that was done by Hillebrandt, like the others. Could be wrong, though. (It makes liberal use of the "I" from the beginning of each verse but is otherwise completely instrumental.)

There aren't any official WITT remixes, just radio edits and the instrumental/extended version. You hear the "I" because the remix just uses the album version and does whatever with it, so there aren't any vocals to separate.

Ryan
12-21-2016, 07:30 PM
I fixed a bunch of these Yesterday.

What was the error? I tried working it out but gave up.

Was it an extra |- somewhere where it shouldn't have been or was there more to it?

TheBang
12-21-2016, 09:51 PM
What was the error? I tried working it out but gave up.

Was it an extra |- somewhere where it shouldn't have been or was there more to it?
http://www.nin.wiki/index.php?title=Remixes&diff=51196&oldid=51195

Ryan
12-22-2016, 06:39 AM
Lyrics to NTAE songs and fifth cover variant added to respective pages.

Dimitri.
12-22-2016, 06:48 AM
Can someone remove the fourth NTAE cover? (the third alternate, grey one). It's not a cover.
I made it to highlight the differences between the black one and the white one. It's just the two versions superimposed.

Ryan
12-22-2016, 06:53 AM
Can someone remove the fourth NTAE cover? (the third alternate, grey one). It's not a cover.
I made it to highlight the differences between the black one and the white one. It's just the two versions superimposed.

Fixed, thanks for letting us know.

GrayscaleRain
12-22-2016, 07:15 AM
File embedded lyrics added.

Ryan
12-22-2016, 08:01 PM
Guys, do any of us have privileges to add the thumbnails on the main page for NTAE next to HM and Patriots Day Soundtrack next to Before The Flood Soundtrack? It will make things much easier to just be able to click on them without having to go into the discography list page.

Pbgut
12-23-2016, 12:45 AM
According to the Deviations 1 PDF artwork, The Fragile: Deviations 1 is Halo Thirty ... so it should have its own page, not be a part of The Fragile. And I'm guessing that NTAE would be Halo 29 anyway.

Ryan
12-23-2016, 01:50 AM
According to the Deviations 1 PDF artwork, The Fragile: Deviations 1 is Halo Thirty ... so it should have its own page, not be a part of The Fragile. And I'm guessing that NTAE would be Halo 29 anyway.

Made the changes.

http://www.nin.wiki/The_Fragile:_Deviations_1

Pbgut
12-23-2016, 02:13 AM
Changes that are less of note:

As far as credits, we get "This record was compiled and arranged by Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross in Los Angeles, 2016. All music is from the original Fragile sessions in New Orleans, 1997-1999." (All caps typeface.)

There are no "alternative" versions. Just "alternate versions."

There are some differences between the file names and the titles listed in the PDF ...

Can I Stay Here? is not titled as an instrumental in the WAVs but is so in the booklet.
The New Flesh is listed as the "instrumental version" in the booklet but not the wav, where it is called an "alternate version."
Also, it seems "10 Miles High (Instrumental)" resembles "Hello, Everything is Not OK" more than the album version and (it may be identical to the Apple Music version but I'm not familiar enough with it).
TDTWWA is now the album version instrumental, not the Quiet version instrumental like it was on Apple Music.
Unlike most of the tracks, Missing Places is segued directly into We're In This Together so it serves as a new piece of introductory music in a sense, and the original intro to WITT is gone.

Ryan
12-23-2016, 02:29 AM
Changes that are less of note:

There are no "alternative" versions. Just "alternate versions."

Thanks, fixed that.

There are some differences between the file names and the titles listed in the PDF ...

Can I Stay Here? is not titled as an instrumental in the WAVs but is so in the booklet.
The New Flesh is listed as the "instrumental version" in the booklet but not the wav, where it is called an "alternate version."
Also, it seems "10 Miles High (Instrumental)" resembles "Hello, Everything is Not OK" more than the album version and (it may be identical to the Apple Music version but I'm not familiar enough with it).
TDTWWA is now the album version instrumental, not the Quiet version instrumental like it was on Apple Music.
Unlike most of the tracks, Missing Places is segued directly into We're In This Together so it serves as a new piece of introductory music in a sense, and the original intro to WITT is gone.

I think we should leave Can I Stay Here?, The New Flesh and 10 Miles High all as (Instrumental).

Is Claustrophobia Machine (Raw) all in the title, or should (Raw) be considered not part of the song title and more a parenthesis like (Instrumental)?

My download is still downloading... an hour to go!

ViN
12-23-2016, 02:34 AM
Yeah if you need a faster one, mine's on 27 minutes and started at 38. How's the Type O Negative forum going by the way? Haven't stopped in there in a while either.

In the meantime, I got the Maynard biography as an early present I didn't even ask for, so I'm just gonna read this until my Fragile Deviations downloads. 26 to go now.

Pbgut
12-23-2016, 02:39 AM
Thanks, fixed that.

I think we should leave Can I Stay Here?, The New Flesh and 10 Miles High all as (Instrumental).

Is Claustrophobia Machine (Raw) all in the title, or should (Raw) be considered not part of the song title and more a parenthesis like (Instrumental)?

My download is still downloading... an hour to go!

In the booklet, it's listed in the same '[ ]' style brackets as 'instrumental,' but is an odd designation nonetheless?

Good luck with the download! I guess I took my speeds for granted. It's so nice to listen to, this was such a special era ... still want more, and I'm at the end ... Ripe With Decay sounds similar to the AM version so far but it is 3 minutes longer. Given the weight of the vinyl, I guess we can expect four pounds of David Carson photographs, of which the PDF is a small taste. :)

Ryan
12-23-2016, 04:05 AM
So should the ninwiki page be called Claustrophobia Machine (Raw) or just Claustrophobia Machine?

Also, I'm puzzled why it's called Ripe With Decay instead of Ripe (With Decay) in the PDF. Is that intentional, or...?

Jon
12-23-2016, 04:26 PM
In case you want to update the NTAE Apple artwork, here is the one embedded in the purchased files (1400x1400)

http://i68.tinypic.com/2v1rg1s.jpg

seasonsinthesky
12-23-2016, 06:29 PM

Yes, it's exactly the same. I guess HEINO was a working title for 10MH.

Malechite
12-23-2016, 10:06 PM
I'm trying and trying to fix this but still nothing is working. Who is the admin for the site apart from @Malechite (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=7)? I really want to start adding info for the new releases but don't feel motivated to start until this gets sorted out.

HELLO. Sorry, I haven't logged into ETS to get these notifications. I am planning on updating the main page soon, just busy with the holidays and all. I'll also check into clearing the cache.

Ryan
12-25-2016, 04:19 AM
Added differences between the Apple Music version of The Fragile and Deviations 1 thanks to @Papagolash (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=181) :

If more become apparent, please add them in.

While we still need to add the BPM rates of Before The Flood here (does anyone have them handy yet to add in?), I also added Halo 29 and Halo 30 here for their BPMs to be added also:

http://www.nin.wiki/List_Of_BPM_Rates#Not_The_Actual_Events

Other OCD-people may want to edit some of the links I have there for Deviations 1 to that particular (Instrumental) of the song in the song's page versions rather than just the song itself, but I'm just leaving it like that for now. If you want to change it, please go ahead. Oh, and speaking of that, all of The Fragile song pages needed (Instrumental from Deviations 1) added to the song version's section of the pages as well. Currently, they only have the Apple Music instrumental versions listed.

Ryan
12-26-2016, 03:04 AM

Other OCD-people may want to edit some of the links I have there for Deviations 1 to that particular (Instrumental) of the song in the song's page versions rather than just the song itself, but I'm just leaving it like that for now. If you want to change it, please go ahead. Oh, and speaking of that, all of The Fragile song pages needed (Instrumental from Deviations 1) added to the song version's section of the pages as well. Currently, they only have the Apple Music instrumental versions listed.

Ok, I went ahead and did all that because it was bothering me. Feel free to go to each one and add more elaborate information.

Pbgut
12-26-2016, 03:56 AM
I think there's a pretty decent argument, given the presence of many extra elements of "Missing Places," to be made that "Last Heard From" is also another version of the WITT intro – same guitar riff but heavily processed (with an extra distorted synth that plays after it, adding a note), and the same synth rhythm that starts playing periodically at :18 in the original intro makes a modified appearance at :25 in LFH.

Pbgut
12-26-2016, 04:33 AM
Ok, I went ahead and did all that because it was bothering me. Feel free to go to each one and add more elaborate information.

Hmm ... it may be a little confusing at times, since there are many identical tracks between the AM version and the TFD1 versions? Most of the differences come from mastering, while there are some genuinely different versions (like TDTWWA, both labelled instrumental despite the AM version being the Quiet instrumental, Starfuckers having the extended outro, WITT having Missing Places for the intro on TDF1, Ripe with Decay actually having the 'Decay' section on AM) but many others are the same.

piggy
12-26-2016, 04:54 AM
For the BPMs on TF: Deviations 1... I think it's safe to assume the rates are still the same for all previously released tracks. We could probably leave those out, no?

Also, I think the best thing to do on track descriptions is to merge the ones where the tracks are the same on both releases, and then put something like (Instrumental - Apple Music) or (Instrumental - Deviations 1) on the headings for the ones that actually differ. Same thing for the remixes page.

Ryan
12-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Good idea, go ahead and do that when you get time.

chuenthez
12-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Atticus Ross page should be "enhanced" now that he is NIN too, isn't it ?
I am just noticing his work for "Fear The Walking Dead" is not mentionned. I like the tumblr http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/, I guess somebody here is in charge ?

Ryan
12-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Atticus Ross page should be "enhanced" now that he is NIN too, isn't it ?
I am just noticing his work for "Fear The Walking Dead" is not mentionned. I like the tumblr http://fuckyeahatticusross.tumblr.com/, I guess somebody here is in charge ?

Sheepdean runs that one.

untold
12-27-2016, 08:21 PM
the unreleased track from Fragile: Deviations1 BPM

Missing places : 100 BPM
The March: 130 BPM
One Way To Get There: 80.5 BPM
Taken: 83.2 BPM
Not What It Seems: 78 BPM
White Mask: 71.5 BPM
Was It Worth It?: 85 BPM
Can I Stay Here?: 96 BPM
10 miles High (Hello, Everything is not OK): 88 BPM
Feeders: 102 BPM
Claustrophobia Machine: 80.6 BPM
Last Heard From: 96 BPM

untold
12-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Not The Actual Events BPM

Branches/Bones: 79 BPM
Dear World,:126 BPM
She's Gone Away: 80 BPM
The Idea Of You: 120 BPM
Burning Bright (Field On Fire): 64 BPM

Leviathant
12-27-2016, 09:21 PM
I uploaded higher resolution versions of the artwork variations for Not The Actual Events (e.g. (http://www.nin.wiki/File:Ntae_alt_2.jpg)), but they don't appear unless I'm logged in. Do these need approval, or is there a particular reason why these larger versions might not be appropriate?

piggy
12-28-2016, 12:39 AM
Yeah, I'm seeing something like that since I uploaded some high res artwork from the new NIN.com. For example, I can see the thumbnail of my new upload of the TDS artwork on the TDS page while I'm logged out, but when I click through to the file page it still has my old upload (I know the thumbnail is my new upload, because it's perfectly square and my old one wasn't.)

Tony
12-28-2016, 12:05 PM
I'm seeing the same thing, and I'm checking into it.

Tony
12-28-2016, 01:59 PM
It looks like that behavior is limited to the file pages, and does not affect the actual images. The new versions of images are replacing the old ones, but the wiki shows the cached version of the file page to not-logged-in users.

On another note, does anyone have a source saying "officially" that NTAE is "Halo 29" and Deviations 1 is "Halo 30"? I've done some googling but can't find any reference to those specific numbers. I know it makes sense for them to be that, but something official would be ideal.

seasonsinthesky
12-28-2016, 02:07 PM
It looks like that behavior is limited to the file pages, and does not affect the actual images. The new versions of images are replacing the old ones, but the wiki shows the cached version of the file page to not-logged-in users.

On another note, does anyone have a source saying "officially" that NTAE is "Halo 29" and Deviations 1 is "Halo 30"? I've done some googling but can't find any reference to those specific numbers. I know it makes sense for them to be that, but something official would be ideal.

Halo 30 is in the last image of the Deviations 1 PDF. There is no confirmation yet of NTAE being Halo 29, afaik, just the assumption based on Halo 30.

Helpmeiaminhell (is now in hell)
12-28-2016, 02:38 PM
is there any artwork for the tracklisting/back cover of NTAE or did TR not even bother?

eversonpoe
12-28-2016, 02:43 PM
is there any artwork for the tracklisting/back cover of NTAE or did TR not even bother?

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/12/dave-grohl-drums-on-nine-inch-nails-new-ep-not-the-actual-events/

Ryan
12-29-2016, 04:04 AM
Notes about Doom 3 weren't linked to the Soundtracks page, so I added this note:

http://www.nin.wiki/Category:Soundtracks

Ryan
12-29-2016, 07:46 PM
HELLO. Sorry, I haven't logged into ETS to get these notifications. I am planning on updating the main page soon, just busy with the holidays and all. I'll also check into clearing the cache.

I see you added NTAE and Deviations 1 to main page, thanks!

@Malechite (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=7) - Can you please add Patriots Day next to Before the Flood too on the main page?

http://www.nin.wiki/Patriots_Day_Soundtrack

seasonsinthesky
12-30-2016, 03:15 PM
People, the wiki has a methodology for posting lyrics.

The initial lyrics box is the lyrics as heard in the song. Word for bloody word (without useless repetition though). You should be able to sing along to these perfectly.

Then, any variances in the officially published lyrics are noted afterward in separate boxes with preambles explaining where the lyrics come from and where they are inserted in the actual song lyrics (when applicable.)

You don't just plop the fucking copypasta out of the lyrics tag into a second box. You're wasting pageload time and (slight) server strain for nothing.

fucking n00bs

ninjaw
01-02-2017, 08:28 AM
Halo 30 is in the last image of the Deviations 1 PDF. There is no confirmation yet of NTAE being Halo 29, afaik, just the assumption based on Halo 30.

Oh, fuck myself I didn't know that, thanks a lot ofr the info.

Destruct26
01-09-2017, 06:49 AM
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/4299-The-Fragile-Deviations-1-Limited-Edition-4xLP-(Spring-2017)?p=334838#post33483810 Miles High (and all other versions) sampled the flute sample from the song 'the downward spiral' with a slower tempo.
listen to TMH between 0:10 & 0:20 and 1:05 on TDS. You can also hear it better on The Bottom version at 2:44. noiseball turned on the switch, I noticed the flute sections, and the guitar riffs are similar as well. I did not notice the TDS motif he says is at 3:16 on TMH (instrumental).

wizfan
01-09-2017, 06:55 AM
People, the wiki has a methodology for posting lyrics.

The initial lyrics box is the lyrics as heard in the song. Word for bloody word (without useless repetition though). You should be able to sing along to these perfectly.

Then, any variances in the officially published lyrics are noted afterward in separate boxes with preambles explaining where the lyrics come from and where they are inserted in the actual song lyrics (when applicable.)

You don't just plop the fucking copypasta out of the lyrics tag into a second box. You're wasting pageload time and (slight) server strain for nothing.

fucking n00bs

I am really confused by the article on Branches/Bones. (http://www.nin.wiki/Branches/Bones) Why are there three lyric boxes in there?

ninjaw
01-09-2017, 07:20 AM
Oh great it's a ninwiki thread : Is it me or it's missing some of the fragile nin.com era free mixes ? I recently shared "version A and B" of them and cannot even remember what's it all about.

PS: Just for the glory of me yes, I was the guy who found Closer(Thrust) out of the french band "Sin", they made a single used in race game, perfume, and Hollywood movies. According to them, it's a pre-version of what' it's already known, made with only the french ppl involved in that final mix. I mean they sent me directly that mp3, years before I noticed there were something different when they played it before one of their show and asked them directly if by chance this was their own remix, answer was no but almost. All of this already has been discussed directly on ninwiki, that song spent years to be downloadable on their official website, but there isn't proof of that even on web archives, however, that song is now official from remix.nin.com and there is people sharing the Closer EP and the Sin(the french band) EPs credits anyway.

seasonsinthesky
01-09-2017, 08:27 AM
Is it me or it's missing some of the fragile nin.com era free mixes ? I recently shared "version A and B" of them and cannot even remember what's it all about.

They're all there. Remixes of NYD, LM, TNF and TF are in their respective pages, and there's a separate page for "Untitled (from thingsfallingapart.com)" because it's not a remix.

I am really confused by the article on Branches/Bones. (http://www.nin.wiki/Branches/Bones) Why are there three lyric boxes in there?

Exactly, this is an example of what I meant in my bitchpost. The second box should be removed.

ninjaw
01-09-2017, 09:44 AM
They're all there. Remixes of NYD, LM, TNF and TF are in their respective pages, and there's a separate page for "Untitled (from thingsfallingapart.com)" because it's not a remix.

Mmmhhhhhhhhh ok you may be right, does that mean that :
Nine Inch Nails - The New Flesh (Version A)
Nine Inch Nails - The New Flesh (Version B)
Are indeed the files The New Flesh (thingsfallingapart.com version) and Untitled piece of music. ? That make sense since my archive doesn't include them, but in this case, how the hell those name were in my archive, where does it come from and why isn't it mentioned on ninwiki ?.

seasonsinthesky
01-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Mmmhhhhhhhhh ok you may be right, does that mean that :
Nine Inch Nails - The New Flesh (Version A)
Nine Inch Nails - The New Flesh (Version B)
Are indeed the files The New Flesh (thingsfallingapart.com version) and Untitled piece of music. ? That make sense since my archive doesn't include them, but in this case, how the hell those name were in my archive, where does it come from and why isn't it mentioned on ninwiki ?.

That is likely, but I don't have these version A/B things, so someone else is gonna have to verify.

We didn't have titles until they were put on remix.nin.com. They were called anything fans wanted to call them before that.

ninjaw
01-09-2017, 10:24 AM
I just added myself the 2013 remix here : http://www.nin.wiki/A_Warm_Place#Versions
Hope everyone will agree

Jon
01-09-2017, 01:21 PM
The New Flesh (thingsfallingapart.com version) • 1:19.146 • 192kbps CBR (Stereo)
The New Flesh (Version A) • 1:22.378 • 128kbps CBR (Joint-Stereo)

Untitled (from thingsfallingapart.com) • 1:07.667 • 192kbps CBR (Stereo)
The New Flesh (Version B) • 1:07.697 • 160kbps CBR (Joint-Stereo)

.zip of all 4 files here (https://mega.nz/#!4cdAgRwb!O6j6j5bWtEVI13-XqGQVKuHEBf2EsiJqWCFYH2H8370)

• The New Flesh (thingsfallingapart.com version) & The New Flesh (Version A) are audibly the same song, with these differences:

1). The "background" loops/effects/drones and vocal sample are more up-front in the (thingsfallingapart.com version). On the surface, it sounds closer to something of a "rough mix", but without proper lineage information there is no way to tell.
2). (Version A) has the entirety of the fade-out at the end, whereas the (thingsfallingapart.com version) ends "abruptly".

• Untitled (from thingsfallingapart.com) & The New Flesh (Version B) are audibly the same song, with this difference:

1). (Version B) has a quick fade-out added to the end of it and is slightly longer.

ninjaw
01-09-2017, 02:25 PM
The New Flesh (thingsfallingapart.com version) • 1:19.146 • 192kbps CBR (Stereo)

.zip of all 4 files here (https://mega.nz/#!4cdAgRwb!O6j6j5bWtEVI13-XqGQVKuHEBf2EsiJqWCFYH2H8370)

• The New Flesh (thingsfallingapart.com version) & The New Flesh (Version A) are audibly the same song, with these differences:

1). The "background" loops/effects/drones and vocal sample are more up-front in the (thingsfallingapart.com version). On the surface, it sounds closer to something of a "rough mix", but without proper lineage information there is no way to tell.
2). (Version A) has the entirety of the fade-out at the end, whereas the (thingsfallingapart.com version) ends "abruptly".

• Untitled (from thingsfallingapart.com) & The New Flesh (Version B) are audibly the same song, with this difference:

1). (Version B) has a quick fade-out added to the end of it and is slightly longer.

Wow so we were correct, with a few difference. Also, I don't know why I searched google when my own webpage (http://ninfrance.free.fr/textes/disco/raretes.html) that I wrote in 2005 was already claiming that fact, adding that the name has been chosen by the communauty because there was only hidden flash music: no name at the time. That page has to be a copy of another US one.

It make sense there were no name since music looks like embeded into flash. I will recommend to mention that these tracks were once called A and B before they made an appearance at remix.nin.com just if someone is asking himself the same question and forgot 12 years later he already noted it.

EDIT: Just added the info at ninwiki

TheBang
01-09-2017, 07:30 PM
I just added myself the 2013 remix here : http://www.nin.wiki/A_Warm_Place#Versions
Hope everyone will agree
I think that information should go under the "Live" section, as the "Versions" section is usually reserved for officially released stuff that you can buy/download/obtain somehow.

ninjaw
01-10-2017, 02:18 AM
I think that information should go under the "Live" section, as the "Versions" section is usually reserved for officially released stuff that you can buy/download/obtain somehow.

Yeah I was wondering since it probably were some recording played during the show, and it may surface later in some rarities playlist... but it make sense.

Ryan
01-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Leviathant, I accidentally overwrote your upload of the Apple Music NTAE cover when I was trying to upload the latest discovery from nin.com from my phone. I quickly reverted it back so ignore any notifications you might receive.

Ryan
01-15-2017, 07:53 PM

Thanks for that, I added this to the information:

Compared to their officially-released 2007 counterparts, Version A and Version B are basically the same, with minor mastering and fade out variations.

By the way, does anyone have an MP3 rip of Starfuckers from the TDTWWA cassette with this difference? -

Starfuckers, Inc. (The Day The World Went Away)[edit (http://www.nin.wiki/index.php?title=Starfuckers,_Inc._(song)&action=edit&section=11)]This version has an extended ending, incorporating fireworks and applause from KISS' "Shout It Out Loud," found on Alive II, and the beginning guitar riff of "Complication (http://www.nin.wiki/Complication)." The track then fades out. The version on the cassette single ends with an audience shouting "Nine Inch Nails!" and lacks the beginning of "Complication".

ninjaw
01-16-2017, 02:43 AM
By the way, does anyone have an MP3 rip of Starfuckers from the TDTWWA cassette with this difference? -

Starfuckers, Inc. (The Day The World Went Away)[edit (http://www.nin.wiki/index.php?title=Starfuckers,_Inc._(song)&action=edit&section=11)]

This version has an extended ending, incorporating fireworks and applause from KISS' "Shout It Out Loud," found on Alive II, and the beginning guitar riff of "Complication (http://www.nin.wiki/Complication)." The track then fades out. The version on the cassette single ends with an audience shouting "Nine Inch Nails!" and lacks the beginning of "Complication".

I have every versions of this end ... btw we know now that this is wrong : audience is shouting "We want Kiss" and not NIN, we discovered that with the extra long version from deviations.

Ryan
01-16-2017, 03:23 AM
I have every versions of this end ... btw we know now that this is wrong : audience is shouting "We want Kiss" and not NIN, we discovered that with the extra long version from deviations.

Can you PM it to me please?

I edited the wiki.

muad'nin
01-16-2017, 03:52 AM
A quick post from me to thank all of the members of the ETS community who contribute to the wiki. It has been a go-to resource for me for so long now (I shudder to think of the number of hours I've spent browsing from article to article over the years). Give me a ninwiki-spiral over a YouTube- or Wikipedia-spiral any day of the week! :)

I think it speaks volumes about our community that we've such an incredibly detailed resource concerning that on which we geek out. How brilliant is our fan community!?; the lack of something like a fan-driven comprehensive Bowiewiki, or Curewiki, etc., says a lot about us (or maybe just the detail-driven nature of the sort of people who become a fan of a band like NIN, hahaha!). Some of you are HARDcore!

Underneath It All, TOIOU, ninwiki, This Noise Inside My Head (R.I.P.), etc., etc. ... NIN has some rad fans. True?

So thank you for your time and diligence in keeping this thing up to date and accurate. *big hug*

seasonsinthesky
01-16-2017, 09:49 AM

No, it's different between the two. The chants are likely overdubs, which is why they're not on the instrumental – neither is Trent's "woo!" after Paul Stanley yelling "good night!"

Ryan
01-21-2017, 04:43 AM
Any idea why You Know Who You Are is appearing in italics on this page?

http://www.nin.wiki/Category:NIN_Instrumentals

fillow
01-21-2017, 06:55 AM
Any idea why You Know Who You Are is appearing in italics on this page?
http://www.nin.wiki/Category:NIN_Instrumentals

Because it's a redirect page that takes you to HLAH, but it is added to instrumentals category on its own. Any redirect page added to a category will appear this way.

Ryan
01-21-2017, 08:10 AM
https://media1.giphy.com/media/Y2nbrJyAR6RiM/200_s.gif

Destruct26
02-10-2017, 09:32 PM
Hey ninwiki- you might want to update the 10 Miles High section as far as the flute sample it uses from the beginning of The Downward Spiral, over the acoustic TDS motif. I'd edit it onto the page myself but I'd probably screw it up. It is found in the beginning of 10 Miles High for a few bars but at a lower tempo.

bwary
02-11-2017, 10:37 AM
Since variations of the NTAE album cover are being uploaded and kept track of, this might be of interest on the NTAE page.

There a couple other variations of the black cover. Minor, yes; but if the two white versions with only a minor difference- one from nin.com and the other other from itunes are listed, although the difference is minor, then maybe the alternate black ones should be shown, too?

See the three black versions:
http://i.imgur.com/mWgU6KD.gif

This example uses the following three images:
1. facebook profile
2. tumblr profile (background and title layer remain the same; adds a layer with more "noise")
3. instagram profile (shifts the image with a different crop)

direct links to the highest resolutions of each
facebook profile: https://graph.facebook.com/ninofficial/picture?width=9999[/URL] ]
facebook cover: [use facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial)]
facebook post: [use facebook (https://www.facebook.com/ninofficial)]

instagram post 1: https://scontent-dft4-2.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15538808_297394653989339_7804326563222126592_n.jpg
instagram post 2: https://scontent-dft4-2.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/15539092_766818600132447_6843151773306191872_n.jpg
instagram profile: https://scontent-dft4-2.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-19/15538422_1682009105423599_4915961168331276288_a.jp g

itunes: http://is2.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music111/v4/36/95/ab/3695ab12-27f4-9061-ab3e-95b1a5683ad9/source/3072x3072bb.jpg (http://is2.mzstatic.com/image/thumb/Music111/v4/36/95/ab/3695ab12-27f4-9061-ab3e-95b1a5683ad9/source/30072x30072bb.jpg)

nin.com post1a->store: http://www.nin.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/5ADDF4B9-5D58-4084-92C0-14B7BA1FB548.jpeg
nin.com post1b->share: http://www.nin.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/NTAE_cover_dec15_alt_O_streaming.jpg
(1b is used/found in the social media share links of the same nin.com news post (http://www.nin.com/new-music-nine inch nails/) as 1a)

twitter post 1: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cz0w3ZSUAAAovcx.jpg:orig
twitter post 2: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0Xqv-wUsAEfWmr.jpg:orig
twitter post 3: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0ZHkRKUAAA9x1e.jpg:orig
twitter post 4: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C0oZkCpUcAEwEG6.jpg:orig
twitter profile: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/809850103934521344/xSSI9WvE.jpg
twitter banner: https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_banners/23559586/1481926771/1500x500
twitter (TR) post: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cz0lQw_UAAEF22_.jpg:orig

tumblr post 1: http://68.media.tumblr.com/daf385029172d5b883e6fa3711d2789e/tumblr_oiay09xMRS1s726nxo1_1280.jpg
tumblr post 2: http://68.media.tumblr.com/8b42089f67ece8fdc44277ea5671a30e/tumblr_oina9sbN6T1s726nxo1_1280.jpg
tumblr profile: http://68.media.tumblr.com/avatar_368c115f62fa_512.png

youtube profile: https://yt3.ggpht.com/-Qx75VS973H0/AAAAAAAAAAI/AAAAAAAAAAA/5X7g_YTTJuE/s9000-c-k-no-mo-rj-c0xffffff/photo.jpg
youtube banner: http://yt3.ggpht.com/V1K70Ux26nIufwetqXKYbSBmCgd0puD3Dp1-y2XR1yYmO6cF_ciB7xwbXiR3naAwDUlizOikjw=w2560

(soundcloud, vimeo, flickr, and myspace have Hesitation Marks / Tension era themes)

sorted and matched
[U]white v1
nin.com post 1b [1500x1500 | JPEG, quality: 98, subsampling OFF | 600 dpi | 24 bit | 1.00mb]
(youtube banner) [2560x1440 | JPEG, quality: 93, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 642kb]

white v2
itunes [3072x3072 | JPEG, quality: 80, subsampling OFF, Grayscale | 1 dpi | 8 bit | 900kb]

white v3
nin.com post 1a [1492x1500 | JPEG, quality: 98, subsampling OFF | 300 dpi | 24 bit | 1.38mb]
twitter (tr) post [1492x1492 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 85, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 426kb]
(youtube profile) [9000x9000 | JPEG, quality: 90, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 3.70mb]

white v4 (matches black v3)
facebook post [960x960 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 92, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 337kb]
instagram post 1 [1080x1080 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 71, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 236kb]
tumblr post 1 [1280x1280 | JPEG, quality: 92, subsampling OFF | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 581kb]
twitter post 1 [1600x1600 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 85, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 636kb]
twitter post 2 [1600x1600 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 85, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 636kb]
twitter post 3 [1600x1600 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 84, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 611kb]
twitter profile [400x400 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 85, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 36.5kb]
(twitter banner) [1500x500 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 85, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 233kb]

black v1
facebook profile [1600x1600 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 84, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 608kb]
(facebook cover) [828x315 JPEG, progressive, quality: 92, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 89.2kb]
instagram post 2 [1080x1080 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 71, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 234kb]
tumblr post 2 [1280x1280 | JPEG, quality: 92, subsampling OFF | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 575kb]
twitter post 4 [1600x1600 | JPEG, progressive, quality: 84, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 608kb]

black v2
tumblr profile [512x512 | PNG - ZIP, Grayscale | 72 dpi | 8 bit | 179kb]

black v3 (matches white v4)
instagram profile [1080x1080 | JPEG, quality: 85, subsampling ON (2x2) | 96 dpi | 24 bit | 305kb]

some additional EXIF on these two:
nin.com post 1a
ImageWidth - 3047
ImageLength - 3064
Software - Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
DateTime - 2016:12:15 13:07:35
DateTimeDigitized - 2016:12:08 20:19:34
ExifImageWidth - 1492
ExifImageHeight - 1500

nin.com post 1b
ImageWidth - 471859200
ImageLength - 471859200
Software - Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 (Macintosh)
DateTime - 2016:12:15 13:07:42
ExifImageWidth - 1500
ExifImageHeight - 1500

EDIT: added itunes cover
EDIT2: added facebook post
EDIT3: resorted by version and included more file information
NOTE: version numbers are arbitrary and used only for distinction

Kulerage
02-12-2017, 10:52 AM
Hey ninwiki- you might want to update the 10 Miles High section as far as the flute sample it uses from the beginning of The Downward Spiral, over the acoustic TDS motif. I'd edit it onto the page myself but I'd probably screw it up. It is found in the beginning of 10 Miles High for a few bars but at a lower tempo.
I would, but they disabled registration.

piggy
02-12-2017, 10:48 PM
Can this be heard in the version from Things Falling Apart? That's the only version I have right now, and I'm not hearing it.

FULLMETAL
02-12-2017, 11:21 PM
Found this on a Silly NIN auction and was curious if these old press sheets are cited/archived on the NINwiki for reference?
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DeYAAOSwUKxYhVv8/s-l800.jpg

implanted_microchip
02-12-2017, 11:33 PM
I can't even begin to describe how funny it is to me that even back in TDS era they were promo'ing the fuck out of the fact that NIN took long breaks from touring.

Destruct26
02-12-2017, 11:52 PM
Can this be heard in the version from Things Falling Apart? That's the only version I have right now, and I'm not hearing it.
Unfortunately, no- the opening of 10 Miles High (version) off Things Falling Apart opens with a different intro and does not contain the TDS sample. Only 10 Miles High from the WITT single, The Fragile Vinyl/Definitive Version, the middle section of Hello, Everything Is Not Ok from The Fragile Instrumentals (Apple) and/or 10 Miles High (instrumental) off The Fragile: Deviations 1 have the sample.

piggy
02-13-2017, 11:03 PM
I'll take your word for it, then, and I've made the edit on the wiki.

Destruct26
02-14-2017, 12:48 AM
I'll take your word for it, then, and I've made the edit on the wiki.
Thank you, bruh. ;)

wizfan
02-18-2017, 04:27 AM
bwary , I fixed a lot of articles with Portrait of Decay links to link to .net instead of .com. I think I've wiped out all .com links now!

bwary
02-20-2017, 01:50 AM
@bwary (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1172) , I fixed a lot of articles with Portrait of Decay links to link to .net instead of .com. I think I've wiped out all .com links now!thanks wizfan piggy for updating all those links!

On the Discipline page, there isn't a mention, link, or screen shot of discipline.nin.com (http://portraitofdecay.net/discipline.nin.com/) that originally appeared on nin.com. (discipline.nin.com eventually became a redirect to theslip.nin.com.) The additional download pages that were made available through radio stations (79 of an unknown total have been identified), although still load in the browser, downloads don't work anymore. All of them are archived and "function" you know where ;-)

jmtd
02-20-2017, 04:41 AM
On the Discipline page, there isn't a mention, link, or screen shot of discipline.nin.com (http://portraitofdecay.net/discipline.nin.com/) that originally appeared on nin.com. (discipline.nin.com eventually became a redirect to theslip.nin.com.)

I just discovered this the other day whilst working on backing up the old sudjam sites for archive.org :(

piggy
02-20-2017, 07:18 PM
thanks wizfan piggy for updating all those links!
No prob.

On the Discipline page, there isn't a mention, link, or screen shot of discipline.nin.com (http://portraitofdecay.net/discipline.nin.com/) that originally appeared on nin.com. (discipline.nin.com eventually became a redirect to theslip.nin.com.) The additional download pages that were made available through radio stations (79 of an unknown total have been identified), although still load in the browser, downloads don't work anymore. All of them are archived and "function" you know where ;-)
Made some updates to that end.

implanted_microchip
02-21-2017, 06:46 PM
On the page for The Fragile (Song), under the section about the (Deconstructed) remix, it says that "According to Reznor, its structure was the inspiration for "The Frail."" What's the source on that? I've not seen much of Trent commenting on all of the website-only remixes from that era and am surprised by the idea that a main song from the album was inspired by a remix that was released after. I'd love to know the larger context of that.

seasonsinthesky
02-21-2017, 08:46 PM
On the page for The Fragile (Song), under the section about the (Deconstructed) remix, it says that "According to Reznor, its structure was the inspiration for "The Frail."" What's the source on that? I've not seen much of Trent commenting on all of the website-only remixes from that era and am surprised by the idea that a main song from the album was inspired by a remix that was released after. I'd love to know the larger context of that.

All of the Moulder-involved remixes released through nin.com were created during the making of the album. It's the TFA stuff that was made later.

Also, I've never seen the dates the mp3s were posted on the site, so they very well could have been posted before the album came out.

piggy
02-21-2017, 11:40 PM
The source for that info was remix.nin.com and I've updated the song page accordingly.

Ryan
03-01-2017, 10:48 AM
I updated the NTAE physical component info:

http://www.nin.wiki/Not_The_Actual_Events#Formats

ninjaw
03-01-2017, 01:58 PM
I updated the NTAE physical component info:

You seen variants ? I'm still chasing for the word Halo29 variants, got 3 all unreadable, physically cannot see the word nine.

Ryan
03-03-2017, 07:26 PM
Added PC image:

Feel free to add more images from the actual physical component if you like.