PDA

View Full Version : I remastered the NIN Woodstock '94 set from the highest quality sources I could find.

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 03:10 PM
So, the other day I was looking for a good copy of the Woodstock 1994 performance. I'm an audio mastering engineer and I wanted the highest quality I could get.

I've always been troubled in the quality of what was available.. All the CD versions have edits in Reptile and in some of the banter between songs (in order to fit them onto one CD), and they don't include the full intro. They're also all highpassed at 60hz for broadcast and have some really strange phase issues in the low end. So I went looking for a new source of video and audio and decided I was going to assemble the highest quality copy of the performance that I could find.

As far as audio, I took a couple of the FLAC rips from reflectinginthechrome.com, and assembled a full performance. This took care of those edits, but it didn't have the full intro. I also needed a good video source.. then, I found a site: http://www.seven1963.org/ that had a DVD rip for download. It was a 720x480 interlaced DVD, which is the highest resolution that you can get from an NTSC broadcast like this, and likely the best copy we will ever see of this performance (unless, of course, the HD footage ever leaks from the production company..).

I found the intro audio from a youtube video and edited that in. I also remastered the FLAC audio: I put back what was dropped down below 60hz (in Burn, for example, you'll hear a huge difference in the fact that you can hear the main bassline!), fixed the odd phasing/panning issues in the low end, and did a full mastering like I'd do for any other record. It's louder and punchier, but not overdone at all.

For video, I de-interlaced it the best I could via software, cropped out the nasty VHS garbage on the sides and bottom, and synced it up with the audio. What I made and uploaded is what I believe to be the most complete and highest quality copy of this performance that exists. There are a few pops and clicks in the audio, and at one point in the video, the words 'VIDEO TRACKING' flash on the screen (I'm assuming this was taped on two VHSs and this was the break point, but nothing is missing), but it's much, MUCH better than anything out there and certainly better than anything else on Youtube.

Ok, so that was all probably too technical and boring, but enjoy. I'm working with relflectinginthechrome to get the FLAC/MP3 downloads up, along with a 1.7 gb MP4 for download.

Download links:
Video (1.7gb MP4): http://www.mediafire.com/?b527z8c8epajm68
Audio (103mb MP3): http://www.mediafire.com/?7grz87gev6d9xgd
Audio (543mb FLAC): http://www.mediafire.com/?8ppcq9iara5tx11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU)

Kamelion
09-02-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for all your hard work on this! Great stuff :).

Batolle
09-02-2013, 04:23 PM
Great! Thanks a lot! x1000

I like the technical stuff so which software did you used, the plugins, hardware. Mostly interested in the audio mastering process. Could you tell us more about it? Really, this is outstanding.

dlb
09-02-2013, 04:25 PM
What a great way to have your first post on ets! And how blessed are we to have such awesome fans within our circles?

Thanks a lot for your hard work and effort that went into this! The Woodstock performance is certainly one of the most precious items in any NIN fan's bootleg library and I myself bought several copies of this via some obscure ebay sellers in order to obtain the best quality - this kicks it up a notch and I can't wait to download it from RITCN and also update my audio version of this!

Once again, thank you very fucking much for this! Damn, it's great to be a NIN fan these days! One gemstone after another! :)

dzaver
09-02-2013, 04:28 PM
WOW! YOu rock! thanx! Can't wait for the FLAC audio upload!

binaryhermit
09-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Thank you very much.

BRoswell
09-02-2013, 04:31 PM
Still one of the best concerts I've ever seen/heard. Thanks for putting all of this together.

henryeatscereal
09-02-2013, 04:41 PM
I love this concert, Cheers!

WorzelG
09-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Thanks so much for this

richardp
09-02-2013, 05:13 PM
Dude this literally just made my day.

Santos L Halper
09-02-2013, 05:26 PM
This is awesome! Thanks!!

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 05:27 PM
Great! Thanks a lot! x1000

I like the technical stuff so which software did you used, the plugins, hardware. Mostly interested in the audio mastering process. Could you tell us more about it? Really, this is outstanding.

audio was mastered on HD280s and modified krk rokit 5s, along with old passive gerrard monitors. it was all done in reaper. fab filter pro-l for limiting, the pro-q for EQ, and multiband comp for low end management. then a custom set of filters to center everything below 100 hz. also brought down the level of the sides a db or so.
as far as video.. i'm ill experienced at modern video software, but i used avidemux2's built in deinterlacing and resizing and cropping, then just some basic levels and color balance adjustment in final cut pro x, where it was also assembled and encoded.

i'm glad you guys like it, the other 'remasters' floating around are just smashed as loud as they can possibly be with no regard whatsoever for quality.

pigpen
09-02-2013, 05:46 PM
I still love it so much when TR sings "And all of you miserable muddy fuckheads are allllrrriiiiggghhttt" hahahaha

Thanks for this! Sounds great!

MrSlfDstruct
09-02-2013, 06:01 PM
If anybody says there's a better fan board out there for anything I will slap them right in the mouth.

This is awesome, I can't wait to get the audio files! I've been hoping something better would be done with Woodstock for awhile.

m0reta
09-02-2013, 06:08 PM
Good sir if I could 'like' you a kabillion times I would! Thank you for your hard work and for sharing!

It's fascinating to watch this, I believe what was the first broadcast of a NIN performance, after having seen last night's Made In America stream in glorious 1080p. So much is still the same and so much is quite vastly different. I try to imagine the future in another 20 years and hope it involves a holodeck.

Tomp252
09-02-2013, 06:08 PM
This is awesome, thanks! On a side note, is anyone having trouble watching this on an ipad?

LeviSnuts
09-02-2013, 06:22 PM
Thank You!

SM Rollinger
09-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Thanks, this is one of my all time favorite shows from any band. Good to see someone love this old stuff as much as me.

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 06:33 PM
This is awesome, thanks! On a side note, is anyone having trouble watching this on an ipad?

since this 'matches third party content', i can't make it viewable on mobile. really sucks. but, considering that and the fact that the RITC guy said it'll be a few weeks (??) before the files i sent him are available, i'm uploading the audio and video to mediafire right now and i'm going to post links myself soon.

Tomp252
09-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Thanks alot I appreciate that!

botley
09-02-2013, 06:44 PM
I wish whatever "third party" it was that hung out on YouTube restricting shows like this from being completely free to watch everywhere would ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING with the rights they supposedly are exercising... like, I dunno, digging out the original HD camera tapes and multitracks to present this show in restored HD quality, befitting its historical significance.

Ranting aside, considering the lineage of your source material this remaster looks damn good! Thank you for all that work.

SM Rollinger
09-02-2013, 06:45 PM
I wish whatever "third party" it was that hung out on YouTube restricting shows like this from being completely free to watch everywhere would ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING with the rights they supposedly are exercising... like, I dunno, digging out the original HD camera tapes and multitracks to present this show in restored HD quality, befitting its historical significance.
Like how fuckin' Microsoft decides they want to pick and choose what videos im allowed to watch when I used youtube on the xbox. Fuckin' lame.

Its probably a copyright troll company thats responsible for this shit. A company that doesnt do anything besides aquire copyrights and take people to court for violating them, just like people do with patents.

Sorry for the hijack, but this concept of "everything has to be owned" in our modern world is fuckin' bullshit IMO.

botley
09-02-2013, 06:50 PM
The truly maddening thing is this: it's probably one of the media conglomerates that bought broadcast sync rights to the show back in 1994; and now they probably OWN one of the record labels that could license an official video for sale today, which would actually EARN THEM SOME MONEY and contribute to the viability of their intellectual property... but they're too dumb to do anything about it but block other distributors from benefiting from an inferior-looking source product.

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 06:54 PM
I just checked. It's flagging it at 24 minutes in as 'closer'. Obviously, it is that song, but does their reach extend to a recording of a live performance?

SM Rollinger
09-02-2013, 06:57 PM
The truly maddening thing is this: it's probably one of the media conglomerates that bought broadcast sync rights to the show back in 1994; and now they probably OWN one of the record labels that could license an official video for sale today, which would actually EARN THEM SOME MONEY and contribute to the viability of their intellectual property... but they're too dumb to do anything about it but block other distributors from benefiting from an inferior-looking source product.

Well, here is the "Acknowledged third party content" screen from the 1994.09.05 Roy Wilkins Show I have on my youtube...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/cb7deathride/copyright_zps3c72c5ea.jpg

Seems like alot of people have their hands in TDS, who is this SACEM?

And yes, it does carry over into live recordings. Try find Prince bootlegs on youtube...

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 07:00 PM
Well, here is the "Acknowledged third party content" screen from the 1994.09.05 Roy Wilkins Show I have on my youtube...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v730/cb7deathride/copyright_zps3c72c5ea.jpg

Seems like alot of people have their hands in TDS, who is this SACEM?

And yes, it does carry over into live recordings. Try find Prince bootlegs on youtube...

Oh well, not much I can do then. I could pitch shift the audio or something, but I'm not willing to make that sacrifice in quality. Uploading as we speak..

SM Rollinger
09-02-2013, 07:02 PM
Haha, yeah. Id just leave it too. Thanks again for your time and effort on this, like i said earlier, this is one of my favorite all time shows from any band. Looking forward to the download! :)

edit: I just searched and SACEM is the French version of the ASCAP.

ninlive
09-02-2013, 07:51 PM
since this 'matches third party content', i can't make it viewable on mobile. really sucks. but, considering that and the fact that the RITC guy said it'll be a few weeks (??) before the files i sent him are available, i'm uploading the audio and video to mediafire right now and i'm going to post links myself soon.

No... That is not what I said... In the coming weeks I have a bunch to upload. I am working on getting everything uploaded now from Woodstock. I am only one guy, I try and get everything onto the site in a timely manner.

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Well, I'm sorry :( I saw your tweets about being busy with work, and then the 'we'll have things like remastered woodstock in a few weeks!'.. That's the impression I got, and I didn't want to bug you. I didn't want people to have to wait to download something that was finished a few days ago.. You're busy, that's totally okay.. I'm not. So, I'm sharing it.

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Also, download links are up.

tony.parente
09-02-2013, 08:04 PM
Can't watch on mobile...
some other time I guess!

Halo Infinity
09-02-2013, 08:04 PM
@Kevin Carafa (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3663) - I just know I'm going to watch this multiple times from start to finish as a favorite film whenever I get into the mood to do just that. Thank you so much for giving it your all. I only checked it out for a few seconds and I'm very impressed at how pristine the audio and video quality is. It's very well done.

nowimnothing
09-02-2013, 08:26 PM
So, the other day I was looking for a good copy of the Woodstock 1994 performance. I'm an audio mastering engineer and I wanted the highest quality I could get.

I've always been troubled in the quality of what was available.. All the CD versions have edits in Reptile and in some of the banter between songs (in order to fit them onto one CD), and they don't include the full intro. They're also all highpassed at 60hz for broadcast and have some really strange phase issues in the low end. So I went looking for a new source of video and audio and decided I was going to assemble the highest quality copy of the performance that I could find.

As far as audio, I took a couple of the FLAC rips from reflectinginthechrome.com, and assembled a full performance. This took care of those edits, but it didn't have the full intro. I also needed a good video source.. then, I found a site: http://www.seven1963.org/ that had a DVD rip for download. It was a 720x480 interlaced DVD, which is the highest resolution that you can get from an NTSC broadcast like this, and likely the best copy we will ever see of this performance (unless, of course, the HD footage ever leaks from the production company..).

I found the intro audio from a youtube video and edited that in. I also remastered the FLAC audio: I put back what was dropped down below 60hz (in Burn, for example, you'll hear a huge difference in the fact that you can hear the main bassline!), fixed the odd phasing/panning issues in the low end, and did a full mastering like I'd do for any other record. It's louder and punchier, but not overdone at all.

For video, I de-interlaced it the best I could via software, cropped out the nasty VHS garbage on the sides and bottom, and synced it up with the audio. What I made and uploaded is what I believe to be the most complete and highest quality copy of this performance that exists. There are a few pops and clicks in the audio, and at one point in the video, the words 'VIDEO TRACKING' flash on the screen (I'm assuming this was taped on two VHSs and this was the break point, but nothing is missing), but it's much, MUCH better than anything out there and certainly better than anything else on Youtube.

Ok, so that was all probably too technical and boring, but enjoy. I'm working with relflectinginthechrome to get the FLAC/MP3 downloads up, along with a 1.7 gb MP4 for download.

Download links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfV7NLCWiiU)

Seriously awesome. This was the first bootleg of a NIN live show that I ever purchased (I remember paying $50.00 for a silver CD pressing back then) and I listened to it non-stop. Gone are the days of having to scour every record shop you could find to try and locate a live recording.

And then there are people like yourself who make the effort to make something awesome like this. I have neither the talen nor the know how to do something like this and I really appreciate those that do.

Thanks so much for doing such a great job.

SM Rollinger
09-02-2013, 08:41 PM
So im watching the mp4 through my xbox on my tv, and it looks fuckin' great. Bright colors, crisp video, hardly any interlacing. And HOLY SHIT THE AUDIO ACTUALLY SOUNDS LIVE NOW! Wow, ive watched this so many times, and its like its brand new all over again. I love how you left the intro.

Someone should seriously update the wiki,

Video

There is a video for the "Happiness In Slavery" performance that has long circulated the internet through p2p and sites like YouTube. This version is heavily dubbed or poorly mixed, so much that Trent banging on the keyboards cannot be heard. The beginning has sounds from "Pinion" and the end is "Head Like A Hole," including the scene of comedian Calvert DeForest (1922–2007) announcing the band. This song was also released on the official Woodstock '94 CD and VHS. Part of the performance also appears on Closure (http://www.ninwiki.com/Closure).

Link to this new one!

ninja77
09-02-2013, 08:58 PM
So im watching the mp4 through my xbox on my tv, and it looks fuckin' great. Bright colors, crisp video, hardly any interlacing. And HOLY SHIT THE AUDIO ACTUALLY SOUNDS LIVE NOW! Wow, ive watched this so many times, and its like its brand new all over again. I love how you left the intro.

Someone should seriously update the wiki,

Link to this new one!

The old video as described in the wiki is most likely a direct rip from the "Woodstock '94" compilation VHS as released shortly after the event. The NIN performance begins with Larry "Bud" Melman's (Calvert DeForest) intro over "Pinion" and ends with the last few seconds of "Head Like A Hole", while the announcer chants "Nine Inch Nails! Nine Inch Nails!". I agree that it's sloppily edited and I remember that even the professional release sounded relatively flat and uneven compared to this new remaster.

I tip my hat to you, Kevin. Great job on the audio and video. I've been a fan for 19 years now, and I used to own a silver-pressed CD of this show until a (soon-to-be former) friend stole it from my house 15 years ago then tried to deny that he ever knew I had it. This release is leaps and bounds better than that original silver sounded. Bravo!

SM Rollinger
09-02-2013, 09:12 PM
I never noticed Trent headbutting the mic at 1:16:03, haha he is pissed!!

Also, i find it amusing that Trent and Robin were more less dressed the same during this show, as they were during the recent Festival Tour.

edit: It seems like there is a slight break in the audio before the first verse during Reptile, is that due to the flac sources being edited down?

ninja77
09-02-2013, 09:40 PM

Download links:

I had no idea that the Woodstock '94 PPV was actually shot in early HD. I've seen it mentioned a few times in passing on YouTube, but chalked it up to people upconverting SD footage to 720p or 1080p and calling it "HD". Sure enough, a Google search for "Woodstock 94 HD" produced this result: http://www.vu-la.com/papers/950323_Woodstock94.pdf

It's interesting that the festival promoters would choose to blow a whole bunch of money on presenting a show in a format that virtually nobody could watch at home, since it was 1994 and you couldn't just walk into a store and buy an HDTV at that time. Even more interesting that by the time HDTV became mainstream, this event had been all but forgotten about, save for a bunch of NIN fans who had settled for second, third, and fourth generation VHS copies of this show for years. I realize NIN were not the only act who played at Woodstock '94, but I've never heard anyone talk about searching feverishly for the best-ever copy of Sheryl Crow, Collective Soul, or Live's set from that weekend. I'm not knocking any of those bands at all - it's just that NIN's 80 minutes on stage seem to be the most memorable.

Shadaloo
09-02-2013, 10:09 PM
Beautiful. A show as important to any band's history as this is to NIN's is a necessity for old fans and new to experience. My sincerest thanks!

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 10:22 PM
edit: It seems like there is a slight break in the audio before the first verse during Reptile, is that due to the flac sources being edited down?

Funny you singled that out.. here's the story:

So, the bootleg cds of this have edits in order to fit the entire 1 hr 25+ minute performance on a single disc. Pretty much all of them are cutting out the intro and first verse/chorus of Reptile and the part right before burn, along with a lot of the intro and some of the ending. Some are edited less than others, but NONE of them had the first verse of reptile. I had to use the VHS audio for audio from the end of closer to the 2nd verse of reptile. And, it just happened to have that glitch in it. The one part I needed...!!

There was a youtube version that had that moment OK, but it was really shit quality and not worth splicing in. I'm confident that's the only big snafu in audio, and I thought it was not a huge deal.

There's another part that was edited from a lower quality source... right before burn, his rant about saying 'fuck'.. if you watch the video, the quality goes down for about 30 seconds. Again, this was the highest-quality version of this part I could find, because almost everyone had it edited out of the audio, and the good VHS rip I found was taped on 2 tapes, and this was the splice point. Again, the one part I needed!

At least it's all there now :)

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 10:30 PM
Also, I remember the day I got the Woodstock 94 official CD, I noticed something odd. The version of happiness in slavery has different vocals than the live concert. I can't be too sure if he went and re-recorded them in a studio, or if it's from another gig on the Self Destruct tour, but it's NOT the same. Listen to them back to back, it's 100% not the same vocal performance. Interesting!

Max Leo
09-02-2013, 10:40 PM
I asked for this in the 19th anniversary thread, so I'll take half of the merit just for coming with this great idea...

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2066-19-years-ago-today?p=112020#post112020

Lol, just kidding. Thank you so much. :D

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 10:43 PM
I asked for this in the 19th anniversary thread, so I'll take half of the merit just for coming with this great idea...

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2066-19-years-ago-today?p=112020#post112020

Lol, just kidding. Thank you so much. :D

Hah! I didn't see that, but I guess you telepathically put it in my head, cause after 30 minutes of looking on youtube for a decent version, I said to myself, 'There HAS to be a better version of this that I can do something with..'

Arkadin
09-02-2013, 10:47 PM
I had no idea that the Woodstock '94 PPV was actually shot in early HD. I've seen it mentioned a few times in passing on YouTube, but chalked it up to people upconverting SD footage to 720p or 1080p and calling it "HD". Sure enough, a Google search for "Woodstock 94 HD" produced this result: http://www.vu-la.com/papers/950323_Woodstock94.pdf

It's interesting that the festival promoters would choose to blow a whole bunch of money on presenting a show in a format that virtually nobody could watch at home, since it was 1994 and you couldn't just walk into a store and buy an HDTV at that time. Even more interesting that by the time HDTV became mainstream, this event had been all but forgotten about, save for a bunch of NIN fans who had settled for second, third, and fourth generation VHS copies of this show for years. I realize NIN were not the only act who played at Woodstock '94, but I've never heard anyone talk about searching feverishly for the best-ever copy of Sheryl Crow, Collective Soul, or Live's set from that weekend. I'm not knocking any of those bands at all - it's just that NIN's 80 minutes on stage seem to be the most memorable.
And that's the problem-there evidently isn't enough incentive to do anything with the footage when NIN is the only selling point.

To do a proper release I expect a new edit would have to be made from the raw footage (would this require special equipment?), and then there is the issue of the transfer, again, possibly requiring special equipment.

Max Leo
09-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Great minds think alike. ;)

Ruined
09-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Thanks for sharing this with us. I had one of the old school bootleg cds of this concert (with much lower quality sound and missing parts of Reptile); you did an excellent job on this project!

Kevin Carafa
09-02-2013, 10:52 PM
I bet the whole PPV broadcast from that weekend is sitting around somewhere on some kind of digital storage reel. I'm almost positive of it. And I bet that SOME day, we'll see some of it, or some foreign channel will broadcast a replay of it. Woodstock is just too iconic of an event for them not to make money off of it forever.

I briefly worked for the audio company that the the live broadcast mix of this particular PPV. They're based in northern NJ, they do live broadcast sound for lots of things out of an RV truck. I did sound with them for some central park gigs with good morning america. They had all the tracks, all the individual mics... I bet that somewhere, they've got an archive of the 48 track masters for this.. but alas, it's probably not worth it. This turned out pretty good :) But what I wouldn't give to hit 'solo' on the vocal mic or the drums or something on this... ohh, tis but a dream.

Extar
09-02-2013, 11:29 PM
This is brilliant. Many thanks.

ninja77
09-02-2013, 11:37 PM
And that's the problem-there evidently isn't enough incentive to do anything with the footage when NIN is the only selling point.

To do a proper release I expect a new edit would have to be made from the raw footage (would this require special equipment?), and then there is the issue of the transfer, again, possibly requiring special equipment.

You may be right about the special equipment part. I'm sure the raw footage exists somewhere, but as to whether Polygram (or any company for that matter) would've kept the equipment necessary for playback is another question. I don't know much about TV broadcasting, but it seems that the specs for the early-gen HD equipment they used in the 90s are different from those used today (i.e. outdated and would likely require a presumably expensive conversion process in order to get the video to conform to modern standards). Again, just getting any record label exec to consider this would require a level of interest above and beyond hardcore NIN fans and people who are really nostalgic for the early/mid 90s. On the other hand, Bob Geldof did put together a 4-DVD boxed set of Live Aid some years back (19 years after it first aired on TV, even). Although Woodstock '94 was a corporate-sponsored event and not for charity, I think both events were equally significant to their own respective decades.

Of course, they could always just use the SD broadcast master, as that would be the feed that went to MTV / PPV and it could easily be authored to DVD without a massive restoration/conversion effort (similar to the Nirvana: Live At Reading DVD that came out a couple of years ago).

demo
09-03-2013, 01:16 AM
This is awesome. The low, low end is restored! :p

Freshcat
09-03-2013, 03:47 AM
Amazing work and dedication Kevin, thank you.
Like someone else said, I recall buying a shitty 100th generation bootleg of this in Australia in the late 90s for about $50!
Great memories.

dlb
09-03-2013, 03:52 AM
Wow, as I expected from the youtube video this sounds great! Downloading the mp4 now, but I guess this will be even better judging from the youtube video which is already way more clear than what is lying on my hard drive. Again, thanks alot for this and Ryan for collaborating!

EDIT: the vido may not be stunning but really is the best version I have seen and definitely the best we will get until some master tapes are released or this thing is broadcasted in HD somewhere. The sound is what makes this release stand out the most! I'm curious how the other concert footage discussed in the other thread will hold up against this release since this is the best 1994 bootleg by far IMHO!

dzaver
09-03-2013, 06:04 AM
any chance of getting a torrent? or maybe if you know of some chrome extensions that helps downloading in case the connection crashes and you want to resume. it keeps happening with these mediafire links :( thanks for the help

Roderick
09-03-2013, 10:05 AM
Thank you very much for this Kevin

Headlike
09-03-2013, 11:52 AM
Big thanks!

Perdita
09-03-2013, 12:04 PM
Thanks Kevin, it looks awesome!

Little_Dreamer
09-03-2013, 12:37 PM
Thank you so much!

jmtd
09-03-2013, 01:35 PM
Thank you so much for your efforts! One question:

: I put back what was dropped down below 60hz (in Burn, for example, you'll hear a huge difference in the fact that you can hear the main bassline!

Where'd you get the <60hz data from?

NINfan04
09-03-2013, 01:38 PM
Thank you very much! Your hard work is truly appreciated by NIN fans! This is awesome!

Kevin Carafa
09-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Thank you so much for your efforts! One question:

Where'd you get the <60hz data from?

It was lowpassed, but not totally cut out. So a low shelf with like 10 to 15 db of gain brought it all back. It was important to find a source that didn't have a lot of garbage being amplified down that low, though.

demo
09-03-2013, 02:29 PM
It was important to find a source that didn't have a lot of garbage being amplified down that low, though.

After so many different and compressed (dynamically and size-wise) audio sources, I'm happy to hear your results. It's super clean for how old it is.

koopee27
09-03-2013, 04:27 PM
thank you :)

kp

[parasite]
09-03-2013, 04:38 PM
thank you man! this is awesome!!

Gary Sharman
09-03-2013, 05:27 PM
Wow thank you so much for this, I've watched so many difference sources and "remasters" of this concert (as it is an absolute classic) but none have ever come even slightly close to what you have achieved video wise or sound. Excellent work, the NIN community is truly grateful for the amount of work that must have gone into this. Cheers!

baudolino
09-03-2013, 05:27 PM
yes, thank's a lot! great result! already/again a classic.

Microwave Jellyfish
09-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Just another thank you from here, it turned out great!

halo33
09-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Thank you very much. I've worn out many VHS copies of that performance, and what is funny about this, is I just watched it again last night!

I had just got home from Made In America fest and was feeling really nostalgic for the "good ol days". Looks like I'll be watching it again tonite!

Now can you work on the Salt N Pepa set that followed? :p

kamillebidan
09-03-2013, 08:30 PM
Sounds fucking excellent. Thanks so much!

Toadflax
09-03-2013, 09:11 PM
Doing a side-by-side with the previous file I had. Holy shit, sir. Excellent work, and THANK YOU.

FULLMETAL
09-04-2013, 03:08 AM
Going through my DVD archive, I have two different versions.

This one came from Demonoid and has a glitch after "Down In It" that omits most of TR's speech about Woodstock being cool and saying fuck on PPV:
http://i.imgur.com/1xMrcjvl.png

This baby came from the Mindwarp Pavillion and is a DL disc that is the complete recording.
http://i.imgur.com/yti5lWsl.png

I'm curious if either of these discs were the source for this new version as I noticed a small visual edit during TR's speech about saying fuck on PPV.

Anyhow, it sounds so much better than my favorite release (the 2cd Joker version) so I thank you!

Fred
09-04-2013, 03:55 AM
I have the latter, though only as an SL disc. Video is quite good on that one, though, and like you said, it's complete. Including the pre-Pinion introduction.

spitefulscorpio
09-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Many thanks!

Kevin Carafa
09-04-2013, 08:39 AM
Going through my DVD archive, I have two different versions.

This one came from Demonoid and has a glitch after "Down In It" that omits most of TR's speech about Woodstock being cool and saying fuck on PPV:
http://i.imgur.com/1xMrcjvl.png

This baby came from the Mindwarp Pavillion and is a DL disc that is the complete recording.
http://i.imgur.com/yti5lWsl.png

I'm curious if either of these discs were the source for this new version as I noticed a small visual edit during TR's speech about saying fuck on PPV.

Anyhow, it sounds so much better than my favorite release (the 2cd Joker version) so I thank you!

I had the 2nd of these at some point. Great quality.. but in the end, the source I got was 720x480, which is slightly higher than broadcast, so it's the best it can be, I'm sure these are just as good. That might have had the little pre banter a little bit better, but Im still happy with how it turned out :) My issue was just that video of this caliber wasn't widely circulated, and I saw no reason for that.

ryanh92
09-04-2013, 05:42 PM
thanks so much for this. the version i had was practically unwatchable. the work you've done on this is amazing! i've tried to remaster the dallas show in 90 with no such luck. after watching this, i think i might give it another shot. thanks again.

KingDeathMachine
09-04-2013, 08:49 PM
Unbelievable job. I'm burning this tonight and listening on the way to work tomorrow. Thank you!

Maul
09-05-2013, 07:43 AM
Thank you so much for this! Sounds really great!

jubilee
09-05-2013, 11:51 AM
Props and Kudos and much love to OP. This is one of the gems of my (currently being rebuilt) Live collection.
We all know how stellar this performance is!

Kevin Carafa
09-05-2013, 12:43 PM
thanks everyone! I'm glad this wasn't a needless thing, I'm planning on doing more sets from bands that have poor quality sets circulating.

ZootZap
09-05-2013, 01:28 PM
Thanks for this!
The Woodstock DVD you found, I've downloaded also from the same site http://www.seven1963.org/ a few years ago and was sad that there is no better audio quality available. I'm more into video and never really was so much into audo... that's the reason I never tried to remaster the audio myself.

Now, on the other side I have to remark something. When I watched the first seconds of your reworked (not overworked) version (video not audio) I thought that the quality wasn't the same like the original DVD (as far as I remembered). I watched "my" DVD and I have to say, what a pity you didn't made the same work on the video as you did with the audio!
I think the most people are happy with your video version. As for me I'm also happy now:), as I took the original video (by the way a good idea to insert the -say fuck on TV- part as the DVD version was lacking this part) and enhanced it with your audo.

For the next time, keep the resolution (720x480 instead of 640x480) don't lower the bitrate and to me, the original colours are more natural (but that's always a matter of taste).

Thanks again for your work, but I had to say this.... no offense meant!

Kevin Carafa
09-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Thanks for this!
The Woodstock DVD you found, I've downloaded also from the same site http://www.seven1963.org/ a few years ago and was sad that there is no better audio quality available. I'm more into video and never really was so much into audo... that's the reason I never tried to remaster the audio myself.

Now, on the other side I have to remark something. When I watched the first seconds of your overworked version (video not audio) I thought that the quality wasn't the same like the original DVD (as far as I remembered). I watched "my" DVD and I have to say, what a pity you didn't made the same work on the video as you did with the audio!
I think the most people are happy with your video version. As for me I'm also happy now:), as I took the original video (by the way a good idea to insert the -say fuck on TV- part as the DVD version was lacking this part) and enhanced it with your audo.

For the next time, keep the resolution (720x480 instead of 640x480) don't lower the bitrate and to me, the original colours are more natural (but that's always a matter of taste).

Thanks again for your work, but I had to say this.... no offense meant!

Understood, but..!

1) 720x480 isn't the correct aspect ratio for broadcast tv. It's supposed to be more square. A width of 720 is actually stretched, but that's ok, because shrinking doesn't lose anything in this specific case. Broadcast television is much closer to a 320x240 or 640x480 resolution, 720 is stretched horizontally compared to the original broadcast.

2) Yeah, the bitrate did suffer a little, but most of the artifacts you're seeing aren't just because of bitrate. Deinterlacing and noise reduction took place as well, and those create artifacts. Deinterlacing more than the denoising, sadly. I prefer a higher contrast look, but I understand you don't prefer that, and that is ok :) I just wanted the blacks to be absolute black instead of faded, and white to be pure white instead of muted tones. I understand that creates a little bit of a sacrifice in color and overall contrast, but in the end, I think it's the best it can be for modern equipment, at least to my eyes.

ManOfAtom
09-05-2013, 03:00 PM
I've not watched it yet, but what sort of artefacting is introduced by deinterlacing? Because it really shouldn't be that terrible.
what did you use to deinterlace?

Kevin Carafa
09-05-2013, 03:06 PM
Hard to describe. I didn't think it was that terrible though, Just pointing out what could cause artifacts. Deinterlacing while maintaining the 480 vertical resolution is tough.

ManOfAtom
09-05-2013, 03:13 PM
If you can be bothered or ever wanna go again or whatever, check out JES. http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/home.html

r_k_f
09-05-2013, 09:35 PM
Awesome... I can't wait to give this a whirl.. I remember watching this live on a hotbox at my grandparents house.. My grandfather actually sat there and watched most of it, said it was "entertaining" lol.
if I was religious I'd say you're doing Gods work, but since I'm not, I wish I could just buy you a beer.. Thanks..

nobies
09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Someone should track down the multitracks for this show and make a mix that actually sounds decent.

Other than that, great job on the remaster.

Conan The Barbarian
09-05-2013, 10:25 PM
You may think it sounds like shit, but I think that gives it the character.

nobies
02-11-2014, 03:05 PM
Hey, sorry to bump such an old thread, but didn't someone on here say they had access to the multitracks to this performance? It could use a good remix....

ItsJustDave
02-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Hey, sorry to bump such an old thread, but didn't someone on here say they had access to the multitracks to this performance? It could use a good remix....

2 posts before your recent post, you suggested someone should track them down. No one mentioned having access to them (I looked through the whole thread). Not sure if you're trolling?

Only other reference I found to multi tracks was...

Michael_Vens
02-11-2014, 07:47 PM
....this remaster is awesome!
:)

...audio cover art:
http://i57.tinypic.com/331zl8x.jpg

...video cover art:
http://i61.tinypic.com/2m77om8.jpg

Scramasax
02-11-2014, 08:22 PM
Thank you very much!!! Downloading the FLAC files now. This performance features my all time favorite live version of 'Closer' and I can't wait to hear how you have improved it.

Camille
02-12-2014, 02:11 PM
No idea how I missed this. Thank you very much for doing the work and sharing!

nobies
02-12-2014, 10:05 PM
2 posts before your recent post, you suggested someone should track them down. No one mentioned having access to them (I looked through the whole thread). Not sure if you're trolling?

Only other reference I found to multi tracks was...

Sorry, I completely forgot about that post lol. No it was in a different thread, and it was between when I made that last post and now. Someone on here had mentioned knowing a guy who knew a guy who did a "live satellite mix" during the original broadcast or something along those lines, blah blah blah. It was probably nothing but, you never know. Not trolling, I swear.

nooneimportant
02-12-2014, 10:30 PM
I really like Dead Souls on this remaster.

While I have a clean soundboard from this 1994 tour, this Woodstock recording actually brings out some sounds that aren't even in that recording I have. Very interesting.

SM Rollinger
03-11-2014, 03:43 PM
I couldnt find anybody else talking about this, but I opened the USA Today section in the newspaper at work today, and there is a article in the life section about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's new exhibit about the concert festival experience. It said that they are doing a poll to decide the top 10 best concert moments, and low and behold I see a picture of muddy Trent next to Sly and the Family Stone and Janis Joplin. No fuckin' way, their actually including this NIN set as one of the voting options. Im on limited internet right now (xbox) so im not certain if this is something you can vote for on their website or not.

Id like to know Trents thoughts on this, considering how he feels about this performance.

pinata89
03-11-2014, 07:07 PM
I couldnt find anybody else talking about this, but I opened the USA Today section in the newspaper at work today, and there is a article in the life section about the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame's new exhibit about the concert festival experience. It said that they are doing a poll to decide the top 10 best concert moments, and low and behold I see a picture of muddy Trent next to Sly and the Family Stone and Janis Joplin. No fuckin' way, their actually including this NIN set as one of the voting options. Im on limited internet right now (xbox) so im not certain if this is something you can vote for on their website or not.

Id like to know Trents thoughts on this, considering how he feels about this performance.

http://www.rockhall.com/voting/the-greatest-festival-moments-in-rock-and-roll-history/

thevoid99
03-11-2014, 07:10 PM
I was going to vote for NIN but.... the fact that Queen's Live Aid performance is there. Sorry but what Freddie Mercury did that day made him a God.

ophelia_
03-12-2014, 12:09 AM
I was going to vote for NIN but.... the fact that Queen's Live Aid performance is there. Sorry but what Freddie Mercury did that day made him a God.

What are you talking about? Clearly Deadmau5 at Lollapalooza is the greatest festival performance of all time ;)

WorzelG
03-12-2014, 02:13 AM
But I voted for ten performances, it's not like you only vote for one, it's a top ten thing

StockAvuryah
07-16-2018, 07:40 PM
Still fire.

InsectGod
07-17-2018, 03:01 PM
Thank you for your work! Can't wait to check this out !

captainbeyond
07-21-2018, 10:49 PM
Still fire.

Thanks for bumping this. I somehow missed it back then.

CaptainSelection
07-24-2018, 01:55 PM
Thanks for bumping this. I somehow missed it back then.

I wasn't here back then so again, thanks.

NIN06
08-25-2018, 04:18 PM
Thats Great Man