PDA

View Full Version : Playstation 4 or Xbox One?

mrselfdestruct94
09-01-2013, 02:03 PM
The title says it all. If you could (or did) buy a Playstation 4 or Xbox One, which one would you choose?

I personally ended up buying both. Took some money out of my ever dwindling savings account and pre-ordered both systems at Wal-Mart. I've been a fan of Killzone since the first one came out in 2004, and I love the Dead Rising games since the first one came out in 2006, so I decided buying both systems would be beneficial.

NineZero9
09-01-2013, 02:29 PM
Not really too fond of consoles, and I would never buy 2 of them as this is a waste of money in my eyes, but if I *had* to pick, clearly the PS4 (and I say that even though I hate Sony)

Space Suicide
09-01-2013, 03:37 PM
Xbox One as I already pre-ordered it as well. Better game choices for me and features that I love and will get used to in the future. The PS4 looks like a small leap from PS3. 360 to One shows more growth and variety to me. NO, I'm not going to get into an argument with my choice and my words. Not in the mood and mind for it.

scotty79
09-01-2013, 03:49 PM
girlfriends pre-ordered me the ps4 as part of my christmas

liquidcalm
09-01-2013, 04:13 PM
I've got a ps4 preordered.. really excited about the remote play stuff on Vita (I love the Vita.. even though no-one else seems too) and the boat load of indie titles and whatever Sony's studios are cooking up.. namely Naughty Dog. Infamous looks great too.
I don't have a media centre etc and don't care for live TV or much online play so the X1 is not really my bag. Part of me is still considering not getting either and going the gaming PC route, but I know i'd spend more time fiddling with things than actually playing games, still my Mac is 7 years old now.. might be due an upgrade...

Vertigo
09-02-2013, 02:10 AM
PC, unless the consoles come up with some sweeping zeitgeisty thing, like Rock Band and Guitar Hero in the '00s. My 360's been an expensive doorstop for the last few years, the desktop is so much better in so many ways.
If obligated to choose, there's no point in sticking with Microsoft if they're not going to bother with backwards compatibility, and it seems Sony have the better choice in exclusives and lack of facepalmy controversy (most points of which MS have now addressed, but still). Plus the PS4's just so much cheaper.

ninedead
09-02-2013, 02:58 AM
more than likely i will upgrade to the xbox one at some point, probably at the next price drop. i have never owned a playstation and nothing in the ps4 makes me want to change my mind, also ive been a loyal xbox guy since the big black box and i havent been disappointed by them yet.

Millionaire
09-02-2013, 04:25 PM
PS4. I like their exclusive developers.

Amaro
09-02-2013, 04:29 PM
girlfriends pre-ordered me the ps4 as part of my christmas

How many PS4 pre-orders does that make then?

:p

\\

PS4 for me. Just gotta do it. Getting this Vita thingy too.

nemesiswontdie
09-02-2013, 05:32 PM
I've got a ps4 preordered.. really excited about the remote play stuff on Vita (I love the Vita.. even though no-one else seems too) and the boat load of indie titles and whatever Sony's studios are cooking up.. namely Naughty Dog. Infamous looks great too.
I don't have a media centre etc and don't care for live TV or much online play so the X1 is not really my bag. Part of me is still considering not getting either and going the gaming PC route, but I know i'd spend more time fiddling with things than actually playing games, still my Mac is 7 years old now.. might be due an upgrade...

I love my Vita! It's just that there isn't shit out for that really interest me is all. Other than the lack of games, it's a solid portable system.

-

It's PS4 for me as well. Nothing on Xbox catches my attention really and plus I've been a PS fan since the original.

How many PS4 pre-orders does that make then?

:p

\\

PS4 for me. Just gotta do it. Getting this Vita thingy too.

The Vita is awesome. It's just like I said above, it lacks games (imo) and using the rear touch pad as L2 and R2 is really awkward but other than that, it's a really solid portable system.

liquidcalm
09-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I love my Vita! It's just that there isn't shit out for that really interest me is all. Other than the lack of games, it's a solid portable system.

-

It's PS4 for me as well. Nothing on Xbox catches my attention really and plus I've been a PS fan since the original.

The Vita is awesome. It's just like I said above, it lacks games (imo) and using the rear touch pad as L2 and R2 is really awkward but other than that, it's a really solid portable system.

I'd say it lacks 'AA' games, but I have never found it lacked fun curiosities/indies and classics.. I've been loving Spelunky on it, Hotline Miami, Lumines, Super Crate Box etc.. But yeah, aside from Killzone Mercenary (which if the single player is as good as the multiplayer beta should be awesome) and Tearaway there arn't many big games on the horizon.. Loads of cross play stuff coming though.

Jinsai
09-03-2013, 11:11 AM

I really like the Vita, but then again my favorite titles for it so far have been imports from Japan.
Ys: Memories of Celceta is coming out in November here, and I logged way too many hours into that game. Either way though, I plan on buying it again and playing it through in English.

http://www.amazon.com/Ys-Memories-Celceta-playstation-vita/dp/B00BAWXCP2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378224528&sr=8-1&keywords=ys+memories+of+celceta

AgentofChaos
09-03-2013, 11:26 AM
It will be ps4 for me, although I won't splurge for it until well into 2014.

And while that would have likely been the case without this, I had the chance to I play the new Killer Instinct for Xbox1 already, personally I was not impressed. I also watched a few other games being played. This was at a promo booth at a fan expo/con, and the ads they were running on the tv's looked like shit. Not even HD video kind of shit. None of the graphics impressed me. Nothing about the gameplay felt any different. I had a distinct feeling the system was going to bomb.

Tums206_BFY
09-03-2013, 11:58 AM
Got to play around with both of them at Pax Prime this weekend. Def getting a PS4 (already have had it pre-ordered ) got to play around with Knack, Drive Club, and Killzone. Some nice indie games too like Resogun and Warframe. The controller also feels really nice and to me way better than the last dualshock. Very strongly considering getting a Vita and PS Eye (seriously Sony talk more about it)/one or the other launch day.

My brother is getting an Xbox One so we will have both, but honestly the only game I wanna get it for it is Titanfall. The Xbox One is a lot smaller and less bulkier then I had imagine so that was a plus. The controller to me seemed like a smaller tighter version of the one they have now. Played Ryse: Son of Rome...Um whatever (looked decent and maybe I just didn't care for the gladiator mode). Forza 5 was nice its controls felt really tight talked to one of the developers there and he was telling some cool stuff that the game will be able to do on multiplayer, def had the best handle of any racing/car thingy I played there.

Wretchedest
09-03-2013, 01:53 PM
Already bought my PS4. Somewhere down the line, if money is just coming out of my ass, I'll get an Xbox.

xmd 5a
09-04-2013, 07:45 AM
Xbone. I don't care about anything except for the games, and most of the ones I've got my eye on are multiplatform. My wife wants to stick with XBOX out of loyalty, so that's pretty much the only determining factor haha.

kdrcraig
09-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Got my PS4 pre-ordered. I'll get the new Xbox at some point I'm sure but it will be a bit down the road.

sa_nick
09-05-2013, 01:40 AM
I'll wait for the second gen ps4. Still enough games coming out on ps3 for a while.

Rabbit
09-06-2013, 06:12 AM
going with the x1 next spring when titanfall comes out.

MrsMeowMeow
09-08-2013, 05:25 AM
ps4, but I will wait until the price drops a bit.... I'm poor

Ruined
09-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Already pre-ordered the PS4. Also, thanks to someone on this board, I was able to take advantage of an excellent Vita Bundle: Vita, PS+ (1 year subscription), Unit 13 (game) and a 4 GB memory card all for $199. Finally, AC IV, Watch Dogs and CoD: Ghosts are all pre-ordered. So, yeah, definitely ready for the launch!

WorzelG
09-08-2013, 06:23 AM
My PS3 has just yesterday decided to go 'yellow light of death' on me so I'm probably going to preorder a PS4 at some point if I can't sort out the problem myself. The thing is, I'm not particularly down on the xbox for any reason but there are some franchises with the PS3 (like Metal Gear / Silent Hill ) that I've loved for so long that I don't want to lose them so that's why I'll tend to the playstation rather than xbox. (I bought my first PS1 in the late 90s and there was no real competition in terms of price / games then). Another reason for the PS4 is the idea that there will be more indie games available - I've gone through a recent phase of gaming a lot more than I used to so I'd like to delve into something a bit more off the wall than the usual stuff

Jinsai
09-08-2013, 10:29 AM
My PS3 has just yesterday decided to go 'yellow light of death' on me so I'm probably going to preorder a PS4 at some point if I can't sort out the problem myself. The thing is, I'm not particularly down on the xbox for any reason but there are some franchises with the PS3 (like Metal Gear / Silent Hill ) that I've loved for so long that I don't want to lose them so that's why I'll tend to the playstation rather than xbox. (I bought my first PS1 in the late 90s and there was no real competition in terms of price / games then). Another reason for the PS4 is the idea that there will be more indie games available - I've gone through a recent phase of gaming a lot more than I used to so I'd like to delve into something a bit more off the wall than the usual stuff

...and this is exactly why the PS4 not being backwards compatible sucks.

Space Suicide
09-08-2013, 10:33 AM
...and this is exactly why the PS4 not being backwards compatible sucks.

Not just PS4, the Xbox One as well. No compatibility across the board just sucks entirely on any playing field.

I'm not buying it, but can PS1 games be played on PS4? I never heard of it.

Piko
09-09-2013, 09:12 PM
I think PS4 will be sort of backwards compatible, eventually. I had read about the possibility of cloud streaming PS3 games. No idea about PS1 games though. As for what console i'm getting. Both, eventually. Most likely getting a PS4 first, and Xbox sometime later. Maybe i'll end up getting both during tax return season. Playing that one by ear.

Jinsai
09-10-2013, 12:10 AM
Call me skeptical about the "backwards compatibility via streaming" option. It all sounds very interesting, but they've been very hush hush about any details regarding the streaming service. We don't know what it's going to cost or really even how it's going to work.

One thing is almost certain though. We will not be able to play games that we've purchased digitally "for free" via streaming, and we won't be able to put the disc for a PS3/2/1 game we've purchased into the machine and be able to play it via streaming. If we could, that'd be amazing, and too good to be true.

I'm guessing it'll be a subscription service that in no way acknowledges your existing game library.

liquidcalm
09-10-2013, 05:16 AM
A glimmer of hope is that when I tried Gaikai , when it used to be part of the eurogamer site before Sony took over, it actually worked. Playing The Witcher 2 on my 2006 mac was absolutely lag free, if a little lo res.. Think 720p on YouTube. The big but is.. This was with a wired 100 mb broadband connection, which only 20% of the country (uk) can currently get. Also running Onlive on the same machine was terrible.
so much potential.. But it is so reliant on good Internet that I can see a lot of complaints and unsatisfied customers.

WorzelG
09-10-2013, 06:06 AM
One thing is almost certain though. We will not be able to play games that we've purchased digitally "for free" via streaming, and we won't be able to put the disc for a PS3/2/1 game we've purchased into the machine and be able to play it via streaming. If we could, that'd be amazing, and too good to be true.

I'm guessing it'll be a subscription service that in no way acknowledges your existing game library.
Ugh, I hope not. For some reason PS3s, even second hand are almost as much as the new console will cost in the UK. Not liking the idea of not being able to play my old Silent Hill games (I even liked Downpour and Homecoming despite their flaws). I've resorted to more pc gaming lately and what I like about steam and gog.com is they are putting out old games and getting them to work on current pcs (I'm a bit of a nostalgist and bought old Alone in the Dark games on gog). Consoles are missing a trick in this respect, I think they underestimate the importance of backwards compatibility.

Piko
09-10-2013, 07:56 AM
I seriously doubt any of the streaming would be free. If we're able to stream games, I'd imagine we'd have to buy them again.

Space Suicide
09-10-2013, 08:27 AM
I seriously doubt any of the streaming would be free.

Of course it's not going to be free. It'd be helping the consumer and that's a big no no that they ever get a fair deal.

liquidcalm
09-10-2013, 08:27 AM
I wouldn't mind the service being more like Netflix.. A monthly fee to access a good library of games for say £5 a month isn't bad.. The ideal would be to stick whatever ps3 game I own and I can play it.. But I somehow doubt that would happen.

slave2thewage
09-14-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm waiting until next September to get a next-gen console, namely because I genuinely cannot decide who to go for.

Piko
09-14-2013, 08:56 PM
I might try re-reserve a ps4 from amazon. Apparently, certain current gen games come with codes to upgrade to the next gen versions (battlefield, watch dogs, ac4).

Edit: Nope, gonna have to wait until tax return. Guess i'll just settle with going to wrestlemania.

Jinsai
09-20-2013, 08:22 PM
Well, the first details about possible backwards compatibility plans for PS4 have been sorta announced, and it's promising in concept (http://kotaku.com/at-a-reduced-price-are-you-going-to-suck-my-cock-too-1356031904)

Piko
09-20-2013, 09:48 PM
That's pretty awesome. I'm going to have to wait until tax return for a ps4 now, but this will come in handy.

dolemite
09-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Well, all things considered... I'll probably get an Xbox One. I didn't really care for past Killzone games... I pretty much use my PS3 for Demons Souls, Uncharted, and blu-rays. I use my Xbox 360 for everything else. So, while I know that PS4 has somewhat higher specs, I'm not really sure how much that's really going to matter. And, if I really want "the best" graphics, I can hookup my gaming pc to my tv and run Steam in big picture mode. I've got a wireless Xbox 360 controller pc adapter so I can play my games from the couch with a 360 controller. So, if I really want hardcore graphics, I'll go with the pc. And, otherwise, I've always liked the Xbox exclusives better than Playstation exclusives... Alan Wake, Halo, Lost Odyssey, etc. I will probably buy a PS4 at some point though, maybe after an Uncharted game or two come out.

My wife and I do use the Xbox for tv viewing a lot, and the Xbox One seems to have been built around providing a super-responsive interface, which is a big deal coming from this gen. I also trust the Xbox controller to be awesome, while I've always hated the dualshocks...but I do have high hopes for the new dualshock.

Overall, I'm a fan of every console and usually wind up buying them all at some point. But to start, I'll probably stick with Xbox One.

sin
09-22-2013, 03:25 PM
Always been a PC gamer but couple of years ago circumstances meant I no longer had a gaming PC but a laptop with a dedicated graphics card, but not able to do the latest games. So probably going to go down the console route, and probably PS4