PDA

View Full Version : The Nightlife Thread - Bars - Clubs - Dancing - Drinking - Partying

Halo Infinity
08-31-2013, 05:37 PM
So with The Fucking Thread, The Alternate Sexuality thread, Fuck me. (No, seriously.), The Drunk Tank, and Drugs! Thread!, I thought it wouldn't hurt to throw in The Nightlife Thread into the mix. I suppose you can post what you like or hate about clubs and bars, and what kinds of bars and clubs you like to go to here. You can also include why you still like to go to them, or why you quit, or why you never got into them, or why you got into them. I can also see why people that love to travel and socialize are sometimes prone to ask which bars and clubs to hit as soon as they reach their destinations.

And from the looks of it, don't most people usually seem to stop being into clubbing by the time they're in their late 20s and 30s? I'm just curious, and I'm not saying that's a fact written in stone since there people in their 30s and beyond that like to go clubbing. However, I hear the most people prefer bars in the long-run. I also think it could be interesting to see different opinions on partying and such, and was wondering if some people actually go it alone when it comes to bars and clubs. And then of course you have your strip clubs and strip bars.

In short, do you like partying, clubs, and bars, or perhaps one or the other? Or perhaps none? Why, or why not? :p

Baphomette
08-31-2013, 05:45 PM
I like hanging out with my cat.

REPLICA
08-31-2013, 08:08 PM
There are two clubs that I like going to in Greensboro, Greene St. and Syn & Sky. I like Syn & Sky a lot more mainly because of the music the dj plays. The two clubs offer drink specials when it's Thursday nights (College Night) and sometimes on Fridays. Plus all the young ladies are out, so that lets me work my magic.

Anyway, I enjoy going to the bar when I have had a hard day. My primary bar in Greensboro is Old Town Draught House, there are a few around campus but I like the fact that the bartenders and the owner/manager all know my name. Almost like the show Cheers - I like to just sit, eat my french fries and drink a beer.

icklekitty
09-01-2013, 06:22 AM
It annoys me when people talk about "not liking going to the clubs". I don't know what kind of shitty clubs exist in your experience/you've seen on TV but there is literally a club for everything so that is nonsense.

My group (a 22 year old, 26 year old, 44 year old, 58 year old) of close friends go out fairly often to dinner clubs, circus clubs, strip clubs, cocktail bars, vintage bars, coffee bars, wine bars, ice cream bars, swing dancing clubs, goth clubs, and the odd fetish club. I have never had the "DOOF DOOF DOOF DOOF Hey bebbeh let me buy you a drink and grind on you and grope you" experience.

Oh, and clubs that advertise by listing the names of the DJs. Fuck off. Tell me what you play.

Big Fat Matt
09-01-2013, 07:02 AM
It annoys me when people talk about "not liking going to the clubs". I don't know what kind of shitty clubs exist in your experience/you've seen on TV but there is literally a club for everything so that is nonsense.

Ever go to clubs and/or popular bars in SouthEast Michigan? Its fucking abyssal. Ohyeah, Necto has "industrial" night which is when everyone puts on their Rob Zombie or Rammstein shirt and requests "The Fuck You Like An Animal Song" or "Sixty Five By Rob Zombie." Its the same way at CitiClub, except you pay more to get in and more to drink. I can drink at home, and not have to put up with "Skinny Puppy? what is that?" person, and NOT have to worry about getting home, all for about 30 bucks, smokes included.

Oh, you wanna go to Slingers in Livonia? Prepare to be HOUNDED by fat girls* dancing ON tables, wanting to get laid.

DISCLAIMER*: Look, I'm a big dude (6'5" 350+lbs) and i do like larger women, but when you are a foot shorter than i and are rivaling me in weight, im sorry toots, you're not my cuppa tea. (This will be reposted in the "things you say that make you feel like a bad person" thread.)

Halo Infinity
09-06-2013, 02:38 PM
Pardon me for asking a question that is technically a no-brainer, but is it really pointless to go to nightclubs if you have no intentions of socializing and/or meeting new people? Is it still perceived as weird even if you're drinking and dancing solo, while being quiet in spite of drinking and dancing?

I only ask because it seems more normal to go to theaters, restaurants, bars, and concerts alone. And what if you're also just not into drinking and/or dancing? I couldn't help but notice that even though one isn't a self-righteous teetotaler, drinkers sometimes don't seem to want to be in the company of non-drinkers. I also noticed that people that love the dance are also bothered by people that aren't into dancing.

And I also noticed that party-goers have a hard time with quiet people too, and get frustrated when people don't open up. Of course some reasons are move obvious than others though, but being silent and reserved doesn't always seem like a bad thing to me.

icklekitty
09-06-2013, 02:44 PM
Pardon me for asking a question that is technically a no-brainer, but is it really pointless to go to nightclubs if you have no intentions of socializing and/or meeting new people? Is it still perceived as weird even if you're drinking and dancing solo, while being quiet in spite of drinking and dancing?

No. If the music is shit, I won't enjoy the club. It's all about the music. I've heard from ex-US residents that over there people like to pose and stand around. Here, you dance. It doesn't matter if you don't know "how to dance". Like the song? Want to move to it? Do it.

It pisses me off when I'm dancing and someone tries to dance with me, though. Fuck off, human, music is talking.

miss k bee
09-06-2013, 07:28 PM
I can't understand people who go to a club where the music is pumping out loud and don't dance!. Fair enough if you think the club and music is shit it is understandable. But if you like the music and just sit down wtf? This has happened with a few friends of mine and kind of pisses me off, I am a quiet person but I like to dance when the music is good, it's a release for me. Last time I went to Slimelight goth club in London with a 'friend' who sat down from 1am to 6am and hardly moved and just liked to watch the crowd, bad enough that it was a rubbish night with mostly crap music!!
I mostly like clubs that play a mix of music or play retro 80's/90's stuff

Halo Infinity
09-06-2013, 07:38 PM
I'm guessing this is probably why I've usually gotten responses such as: "Just don't go to clubs then./Just have a drink or two and then dance./Why would you even go to clubs if you're not into drinking/dancing?", or something else to that effect, whenever I admitted that I wasn't interested in drinking and dancing, while preferring to just stay on the sidelines and looking like a kill-joy when I didn't mean to. (Not that this has been an issue for quite some time, because I've often keep to myself more and more in public. I also didn't go to clubs either, but have met people that wanted me to try clubbing and drinking.)

SM Rollinger
09-06-2013, 07:45 PM
I dont go out, drink or dance either.

edit: Why? I dont like being drunk, nor am i a sociable person.

miss k bee
09-06-2013, 07:59 PM
One of the best nights out I had, I did not drink at all. I only usually only have one drink anyway on the rare occasion when I do out as I usually have to get back home on the night bus.

playwithfire
09-07-2013, 02:28 AM
Alcohol hates me so I tend to have 1 or 2 drinks at most. Frequently none. I really like Shirley Temples with bitters in them. It's great how much money you save when you don't drink.

It seems like my life is going to have a lot more burlesque in it going forward. Fine by me.

icklekitty
09-07-2013, 05:00 AM
If you do it, try to be different and interesting about it. I'm over burlesque, for the most part. One of my friends is this person (http://vonbourbon.com/), and she's been performing in a very artistic way (beyond the "OMG I TAKE OFF CORSET NOW" way most of them do it) since we were at uni - she plays my favourite bar from time to time, and I'll go to see her. The only cabaret in London I have time for any more is Double R club (http://therrclub.wix.com/rrhome#!louche) - I loathe the places where the proposed ambiance of the event isn't reflected in the clientele, but everyone looks like they've stepped out of a Lynch film. Feels like home.

Last time I went to Slimelight goth club in London with a 'friend' who sat down from 1am to 6am and hardly moved and just liked to watch the crowd, bad enough that it was a rubbish night with mostly crap music!!

Eurgh, Slimelight. Every time I go there I just end up eating cake.

Also I fucking love to drink, but it's more a couple of Old Fashioneds or a nice Malbec than any of that Smirnoff Jack Daniels Bacardi wank.

playwithfire
09-07-2013, 01:57 PM
If you do it, try to be different and interesting about it. I'm over burlesque, for the most part. One of my friends is this person (http://vonbourbon.com/), and she's been performing in a very artistic way (beyond the "OMG I TAKE OFF CORSET NOW" way most of them do it) since we were at uni - she plays my favourite bar from time to time, and I'll go to see her. The only cabaret in London I have time for any more is Double R club (http://therrclub.wix.com/rrhome#!louche) - I loathe the places where the proposed ambiance of the event isn't reflected in the clientele, but everyone looks like they've stepped out of a Lynch film. Feels like home.

Well, I am thinking of getting into it as a performer but that's not in my immediate future by any means. I want to get flexible and shit again.

But! I help out at this (http://hqnewyork.com/charlotte-stokely-hosts-fleshbot-friday/) every month and there's this really cool free show (here's a nsfw pic, it's a tiny and very swanky bar) (http://static.wixstatic.com/media/8ec023_eebad9aef1d02dc6cc41ea05fe2dfe4d.jpg_srz_10 00_667_85_22_0.50_1.20_0.00_jpg_srz) that happens in Lower Manhattan every week.

One of the performers at Fleshbot Friday last month had glowing LED pasties and a robot costume.

frankie teardrop
09-10-2013, 12:36 PM
i used to enjoy clubs, dancing, socializing in bars etc... but the older i get, the less i have the energy and the interest. i've djed a fair share of "goth" nights over the years, got quite good at it, enough to strike up a regular residency for a few years. met a lot of people. very few of which i've retained as friends since the night ending, so that's a pretty apt metaphor for how much and why i dislike the bar scene these days. i'm even choosy about going out to see bands on a whim these days.

it's part in line with the introvert thread, and partially just growing up and out of the lifestyle and preferring a quiet night at home. these days, let's just grab a six pack or a bottle of wine and have a few friends over. watch movies, play games, TALK (and not yell the same inane banter over loud music), listen to good records. i'm all for dinner parties...

Halo Infinity
09-10-2013, 04:29 PM
it's part in line with the introvert thread, and partially just growing up and out of the lifestyle and preferring a quiet night at home. these days, let's just grab a six pack or a bottle of wine and have a few friends over. watch movies, play games, TALK (and not yell the same inane banter over loud music), listen to good records. i'm all for dinner parties...
I really never saw that coming, especially after seeing how many concerts you've attended. It was overwhelming to me. (And by all means, I don't doubt your taste one bit. It's just a part of me being a homebody most of the time whenever I don't have to go outside, or just want to get something outside.) And yeah, you sort of sound like me right now too. A calm life really is the life for me. And yeah, a good conversation never gets old to me too, and that's coming from a guy that's sometimes mostly quiet whenever he's around other people.

JessicaSarahS
09-10-2013, 04:42 PM
If I'm in the mood for socializing and drinking, I usually invite friends over to play video games and board games and have a drink or two. On the occasion that I do go to a bar, it's usually a vintage bar or wine bar, somewhere quiet and not super crowded.

frankie teardrop
09-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I really never saw that coming, especially after seeing how many concerts you've attended. It was overwhelming to me.

yeah, i've made the most of my early years in the city. i still go to shows here and there, but i'm much more selective!

icklekitty
09-11-2013, 07:32 AM
I've only just started going to house parties this year. People had parties when I was in my teens, but...it's not really what I see in US movies when the parents are there actually being bartenders and paying for you to get drunk.

It's even got to the stage where my friends and I are designated our own bedroom.

Fixer808
09-11-2013, 07:49 AM
aka: "The Fucktorium"?

dlb
09-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Good house parties are the best! Especially if someone takes you to a place where you don't know anyone (except for a few people maybe) and things turn out for you to be the live of the party! It's rare but it happened and those are definitely the best! I've been on a dry spell with those but there's one in two weeks that could turn out in my favor. Plus you eventually get to meet new people the easiest way by either playing drinking games or being introduced by other friends. Whenever I am in the mood and have some money to spare I will have one at my place but since cleaning up is a pain in the ass I don't do that too often. Last time was my birthday and something ALWAYS has to break...

Other than that I too enjoy a chill night out. I've never been a club or discoteque guy and even most alternative (goth, metal etc.) clubs turn me off. Most after show parties are also not my cup of tea.

Mostly I'll meet my best pal and concert buddy and we go to our favorite places that we have been to when we used to work together. Starting at a traditional small German bar we down two lagers and then go wherever it takes us. Mostly pubs and smaller clubs where the emphasis is more on good drinks and talking rather than loud music and dancing. Since curfew tends to hit you over the head down here we usually end up at some really shoddy places for our last beer and some schnaps. Those nights are a perfect mix of good conversation and meeting people (yeah, girls! you got me!) and often we will grab something to eat (Currywurst, Kebab, Schawarma etc.) before we head home.

When I'm out with the ladies I like to hit a good but not too pretentious restaurant (depends on my company and mood, but you can tell how much I like you via the places I take you to) and then go for a few drinks (Gin Tonic is my drink of choice when with a girl) at a more hip bar or sit down by the river with a few beers or a bottle of wine when the weather is nice. Last time I did this was two weeks ago and we talked through the night into the early morning. Felt great!

It's Oktoberfest in a few days and while I am a golden beer god I hate this place and only visit if there is a reservation made or if my bosses have arranged something. It's way too stressfull otherwise and even when I'm going I like to hit the beergarden more than the tents. Sitting outside when the weather is nice usually ends up in a nice evening with people from all over the world asking for a place to sit and inviting you (god it's expensive, really!) and making toasts to your hospitality.

On vacation I actually try to do the same. Irish Pubs are the first mile stone to take and then I will just ask local people where I should go or if I can join them. That has helped me alot and I had great nights when I was visiting New York last year or sitting at a harbor in Amsterdam drinking beer that cost us a fortune.

I also LOVE to show people around no matter if they are coming from another city or another country. That's also the best way to try some new places as I am pretty opend minded as the long as it's not too crowded, prices are reasnobale and I find at least ONE drink I can cling to. Of course those nights rarely make everlasting friendships but it is my duty to not let any tourists get fooled by touristic places. Therefore it's always a blast and I tend to get invited a lot. So hit me up whenever you want to visit Munich. ;)

dominik
09-14-2013, 07:33 PM
I don't feel like going out anymore (at least lately), but I feel really boring because everyone else of my friends is going out all the time, so I end up sitting at home and regretting that I didn't go out and thinking that I might miss something. Does that even make sense?

Halo Infinity
09-14-2013, 08:24 PM
I've sort of been there before, and it happened a lot when I'd see pictures of people that seemed to travel and party a lot with lots of friends on Facebook. I don't get it either, as it really shouldn't even be a big deal, but I'm guessing that even somebody like me also loves the idea of having many people that I can be cool with and hang out with. That's probably the only part about it that makes sense to me, even though fitting in isn't always everything, since there can be a great "feel good" factor to it.

REPLICA
02-09-2014, 01:32 AM
Went to Artistika for the first time tonight, it was spur of the moment. I enjoyed myself so much (and I didn't even drink, since I had to drive)! I'm definitely going back! They played modern Latin dance hits this evening and some older stuff around 12:30 but just for a couple songs. I need to get my salsa up in order so I can dance like a boss. The ladies there love a guy that can lead. All in all, it was a fantastic time. If you're ever in Gboro, check it out.

*Note: They have a strict dress code on Friday and Saturday nights - dress shoes and dress shirts for the men.
https://www.facebook.com/ARTISTIKA.NIGHTCLUB

theimage13
02-09-2014, 01:59 PM
I don't really "do" nightlife.

Maybe it's because I'm such an introvert that loud and crowded bars make me question why the hell I'd ever want to spend more money for beer there than I could for the same beer at home with a good book or movie.
Maybe it's because I'm the only single person in my group of friends, and on the rare chance that I end up going out with any of them, I just end up despising all the smiling couples around me.
Maybe it's because I'm actually 80 and just don't know it.

All I know is that for me, night life means finishing my one drink for the night, looking at my watch, and going "holy shit, it's already after 9? No wonder I'm so tired." On a Friday.

Halo Infinity
02-20-2014, 03:14 PM
I just thought of giving this question another attempt.

Can't caffeine also be a big drink at bars and clubs? It seems to make a lot of sense to me since it mostly involves dancing and/or socializing the night away. Do any of you also drink soda, coffee, and/or energy drinks at bars and clubs?