PDA

View Full Version : SWANS + related projects

xmd 5a
12-01-2011, 09:28 AM
Because SWANS is almighty and needs a thread.

Live album and new material in the pipes: cannot fucking wait.

(Feel free to discuss Angels of Light, M. Gira solo, Jarboe solo and all the other side projects. It's all good!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EayNRh_PkBc

frankie teardrop
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
sorry to have missed this thread. definitely a powerhouse among powerhouses... tremendous and crushing and intense in a way very few bands can be, even with just an acoustic guitar and a minimal arrangement.

i can't pick a favorite album. don't ask me to. i am looking forward to the new material.

blackholesun
12-22-2011, 11:47 AM
Missed this thread as well. 2011 was the year of Swans for me. I still have a ton of their discography to go through. I've gotten through most of Angels of Light and really enjoyed that. I look forward to new material as well.

xmd 5a
12-22-2011, 10:03 PM
I got into them through the Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money compilation but my love was cemented when I nabbed Filth/Body to Body... and the latest album last year. I pretty much went on an archive binge and purchased everything else straight after. Soundtracks for the Blind is my personal favourite, closely followed by Filth. Their live albums are immense too. I prefer the versions of the songs captured Feel Good Now, Omniscience and Swans Are Dead to their studio equivalents. But having to pick favourites with this band is especially difficult.

Gira's Drainland and Jarboe's Thirteen Masks + Sacrificial Cake are also well worth hearing.

frankie teardrop
12-23-2011, 11:18 AM
the whipping boy in the catalog seems to be the burning world, both trashed by fans and by gira himself. i wasn't too into it at first, but i picked up a copy on vinyl some years back, threw it on the turntable, and it instantly clicked. among my favorites from them, though i couldn't really rank the catalog justly.

also, the best live show i've ever seen: front row at the bowery ballroom last year. damn near blew my head off. there were times gira was bent over screaming far away from the mic, not meant to be picked up. the little i was able to hear of it terrified me more than any of the cacaphony coming from the stage proper...

Piko
12-23-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't really mind that album too much. It had God Damn The Sun. Makes it ok in my book. Not sure why it gets the flack it does, but oh well.

xmd 5a
12-24-2011, 02:08 AM
No Swans release deserves flak at all. Flawless discography as far as I'm concerned. Also, fuck the Jarboe haters. She could be just as deranged as Gira at her peak IMHO.

blackholesun
02-01-2012, 12:46 PM
New Swans live album + Extras

http://younggodrecords.com/home/handmade-live-cd-bundle

xmd 5a
02-04-2012, 09:51 PM
^ Powerful shit indeed. Swans' music is hypnotic and mesmerising in a way no other band has ever managed to emulate.

Strongly disagree about Jarboe though. I love her both her work with Swans and her solo outings.

New Swans live album + Extras

http://younggodrecords.com/home/handmade-live-cd-bundle

Managed to order a bundle before they went out of stock. Can't wait. 2012 is going to be the year of Swans.

aggroculture
02-05-2012, 07:18 AM
Gira solo dates
3/15/2012 San Francisco CA Great American Music Hall w/ Sir Richard Bishop
3/16/2012 Los Angeles CA Echo w/ Sir Richard Bishop
3/22/2012 Seattle WA Triple Door w/ Sir Richard Bishop
3/23/2012 Portland OR Mississippi Studios w/ Sir Richard Bishop
3/24/2012 Denver CO Oriental Theater w/ Wovenhand

My favourite Swans material is Love of Life/White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, though of course the first four are great too. The latest tour was incredible: this guy puts massive emotional intensity into his live shows.

frankie teardrop
02-06-2012, 10:08 AM
i can't get down with the jarboe hate either. sometimes, she gets under my skin, but it's more a "not in the mood" thing than an overall irritation, which can be said about swans in general. she's definitely as powerful as gira, but in a different way. i love all of their albums, jarboe or no.

Iran_Ed
03-20-2012, 11:11 PM
I bought Soundtracks For The Blind last week. "The Sound" is amazing. The entire album is great, but that song...

Piko
03-21-2012, 07:51 AM
I bought Soundtracks For The Blind last week. "The Sound" is amazing. The entire album is great, but that song...

I used to hate that one. Didn't "get it". Listened to it again recently and it was amazing. Guess it's one of albums that have to grow on you. And I don't mind Jarboe.

Carpathian Psychonaut
03-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Strongly disagree about Jarboe though. I love her both her work with Swans and her solo outings.

i can't get down with the jarboe hate either. sometimes, she gets under my skin, but it's more a "not in the mood" thing than an overall irritation, which can be said about swans in general. she's definitely as powerful as gira, but in a different way. i love all of their albums, jarboe or no.

[related tangent]

Of all things, it was the Neurosis & Jarboe cd that made her utterly click with me. She's so on the nail with that one. One of my favourite releases of the last few years for sure and never stops giving something new, in no small part due to her.

[/tangent]

frankie teardrop
03-22-2012, 03:31 PM
i reckon it would have gotten very boring, very quickly, if gira had stayed the course. repetition often leads to diminishing returns, even if the material is still up to par (see the fall, who annoy me with their knack for writing the same god damn record over and over and over again).

what the mid-period and later material may lack in sheer brute force, it makes up for in haunting melody, which in many cases can be even more brutal and harrowing. 'blackmail' and 'in the garden' and 'mind/body/light/sound' cut me just as deeply as 'raping a slave.'

factor in the new material, which sounds like a slightly heavier version of angels of light, while still focusing on silence, space, and dynamics. if jarboe was to blame for softening the band's sound, wouldn't gira be exploring the earlier, doomier style again now that she's not part of the band anymore? or is the consensus that he'll never be the same again? sure, the new material is heavy, but it's not cop.

i get if people don't dig her voice, but the way some people go on about her ruining the band make it sound like some weird thinly veiled mysogynistic eve in the garden of eden/yoko ono kind of thing. what i'm getting at is this: it might very well have been gira that wanted to tone the band's style and image down over the years, with his distaste for his audience and the pre-conceived expectations of the band. i don't doubt that jarboe might have exerted some influence here, but given that her own material can be just as bleak and powerful makes me feel like she doesn't deserve all the finger-pointing.

xmd 5a
03-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Swans' first release, the self-titled EP, is notably a lot less intense than Filth, Cop, etc.

I saw an interview with Jarboe somewhere when she said her favourite bands at the time she joined Swans were Whitehouse and Throbbing Gristle. And also that she would've tried to join Einsturzende Neubauten (who, incidentally, also got less "heavy" after the mid-80s) if Swans rejected her. Additionally, if you listen to her solo and collaborative work outside Swans there are quite a few "brutal" pieces. Check Walls are Bleeding for instance. Scary shit.

And I agree with frankieteardrop. There's only so long the band could've churned out Cop-esque material without reverting to self-parody. If anything, Jarboe's influence caused the band to experiment more as can be heard on Greed/Holy Money and Children of God. Obviously the more lush pieces on the latter album developed into the main direction of the band. Which is good, because Soundtracks for the Blind is easily one of my all-time favourite albums and every bit as intense as Filth IMHO.

xmd 5a
04-03-2012, 06:34 PM
From Jarboe's Facebook page:

Michael sent me an advance copy of The Seer, the new Swans album. I heard it in its entirety last night.
I'm very pleased with it and the songs where I did background vocals sounded ...well sounded like SWANS. Some tears rolled down my face in sheer joy. I am so happy to have contributed in some way to this album. It meant a lot to me.
X,
j.

!!!!!!!!!

Carpathian Psychonaut
04-04-2012, 06:06 AM
!!!!!!!!!

{sound of jaw hitting floor}

Can I just second your !!!!!!!!! and add my own run of !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! too

fillow
04-04-2012, 08:44 AM
wait

are you telling me there's new swans and it has jarboe in it? no shit?

Carpathian Psychonaut
04-04-2012, 08:54 AM
wait

are you telling me there's new swans and it has jarboe in it? no shit?

Yeah, I know. That was my reaction.

In a list of 10 things I expected to see on a new Swans album that would have been about 73rd

october_midnight
05-29-2012, 02:04 PM
'The Seer' release date and details announced. (http://www.pitchfork.com/news/46669-swans-reveal-new-album-details/)

blackholesun
05-29-2012, 04:08 PM
This is gonna be great, judging from the live versions and demos of the new songs

xmd 5a
05-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Yeah, hearing Gira describe his vision for the demos on the bonus disc of We Rose from Your Bed... got me so pumped and with Jarboe and Alan + Mimi from Low involved how can this not be AOTY?

Iran_Ed
05-29-2012, 07:28 PM
I have a feeling that a lot of the money I make this year will be going to Michael Gira.

xmd 5a
07-19-2012, 05:19 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4129%2BtS90zL._SS500_.jpg

30 sec track samples and album art for The Seer up on Amazon. (http://www.amazon.com/The-Seer/dp/B008KY6RQO)

blackholesun
07-20-2012, 11:31 AM
It leaked too. About to listen.

Piko
07-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Heard it leaked. Couldn't find it yesterday though.

blackholesun
07-20-2012, 12:23 PM
Goddamn The Seer (the track) is immense. So far this album is blowing my mind.

frankie teardrop
07-20-2012, 12:42 PM
having a spot of trouble tracking it down. if anyone can send me a present, please do!

Piko
07-20-2012, 12:48 PM
having a spot of trouble tracking it down. if anyone can send me a present, please do!

Second this.

Iran_Ed
08-20-2012, 11:03 AM
NPR has a stream of The Seer for those who haven't heard it.

http://www.npr.org/2012/08/19/158708197/first-listen-swans-the-seer?sc=tumblr&cc=tumb_music

Ax Mr. L
08-20-2012, 08:03 PM
I've known this band a while, but never really have listened to them except for a couple of tracks, but now I'd like to give them a listen, so where should I start?
I would have had an opportunity to see them live about a week ago at a festival, but chose to find some food before Fennesz started his second performance. Now I regret a little bit that decision.

Piko
08-20-2012, 08:48 PM
I'd say start with The Great Annihilator. If you liked the stuff you caught live, I'd check out My Father Will Guide Me...

Edit - oops. I misread. Thought you said you caught some of it.

xmd 5a
08-20-2012, 09:47 PM
Hard to say where to start with Swans since their sound has evolved so much over their career. Check the latest albums then try Children of God and move backward if you like the harder, darker stuff or move forward if you prefer the more lush sounds. Definitely eventually check everything though.

Piko
08-20-2012, 10:56 PM
The early stuff is pretty intense. Good stuff though. Children of God is a pretty solid one. The Great Annihilator's deemed the most "accessible" of the lot. Personally, I'd start there and move backward. But Children of God would be a good start as well.

Ax Mr. L
08-21-2012, 07:18 AM
Thanks! I'll check out first The Great Annihilator and Children of god and then move backwards.

Piko
08-21-2012, 07:58 AM
The early 90s albums catch a lot of flack (from gira himself even). Good stuff IMO.

frankie teardrop
08-21-2012, 10:13 AM
agreed. i think the burning world is one of the best, if but very different from the majority of the catalog.

aggroculture
08-21-2012, 10:23 AM
Love of Life and White Light from the Mouth of Infinity display great, succinct songwriting. Love those two records.

frankie teardrop
08-21-2012, 10:36 AM
those were my first two, so i have some major fondness for those records as well. my vinyl copy of love of life sounds too brittle though, should have been 2xlps. unlike the burning world, which sounds amazing and is my preferrerd way to listen to that album.

oh, and the new album is pretty stellar. could do without karen o being everywhere these days, but not the end of the world.

Piko
08-21-2012, 01:39 PM
Love of Life and White Light from the Mouth of Infinity display great, succinct songwriting. Love those two records.

That's where I started. White Light just had so much going on. Imagine my reaction when I first heard Filth, heh. I'm iffy about The Burning World. Just so different.

xmd 5a
08-22-2012, 07:44 AM
I started with Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money and Filth/Body to Body Job to Job, so right into the deep end of the proverbial pool. Filth and Soundtracks for the Blind are my favourite albums, but the aforementioned Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money represents my most listened to collection of Swans tracks.

Haven't had time to properly digest The Seer as yet, but from what I've heard I'm feeling it more than My Father...

richardp
08-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Good lord. This fucking album. Unreal.

xmd 5a
08-31-2012, 11:16 AM
The title track is just about the best 30+ minute song I've heard in my life. The slow burn intro, volcanic eruption that is the 12th minute and subsequent relentless, pummeling, brain-drilling aural assault... Intense as fuck. I can't wait to experience this live!

Piko
08-31-2012, 11:47 AM
Easily (IMO), Piece of the Sky and The apostate are my top two.

blackholesun
08-31-2012, 01:38 PM
After many many listens, I'm very impressed with this album. It absolutely flies by for being 2 hours in length. Favorite tracks are The Seer (and The Seer Returns), A Piece of the Sky, The Apostate and Avatar. The only track I really don't dig is Song For a Warrior. Anyways, I'm just bought a ticket to see them in 2 weeks. Pretty excited for the experience

xmd 5a
08-31-2012, 08:02 PM
"Mother of the World", "The Seer", "The Seer Returns" and "Avatar" are my favourites after my first proper listen. "Lunacy" (<3 Low) and "93 Ave B Blues" get honourable mentions.

My Father... was great and all, and still one of my favourite albums of 2010, but it had nowhere near the volume of killer material as The Seer does.

Piko
08-31-2012, 08:23 PM
Not many people seem to like Song for a Warrior. I finally have been getting around and listening to the full thing. Its good. It flies by, yes. But, my mind tends to wander most of the time. But there's plenty of parts where it would regain my attention and make me look at what song I'm listening to. Certainly has it's good moments. Lots of them.

frankie teardrop
09-01-2012, 03:02 PM
karen o really has no place on a swans album. it's the only track on the album i don't LOVE.

Iran_Ed
09-06-2012, 02:39 PM
Going to go see them next month. I'm equally thrilled and terrified.

eversonpoe
11-29-2012, 01:55 PM
has anyone purchased The Seer on vinyl? how does it play with the title track being split up, as well as the totally different order of the tracks?

xmd 5a
12-04-2012, 04:31 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sdOvQjtUrg

fuckit
08-06-2013, 05:31 PM
the seer is fucked up in the right ways. can't wait for the new album

Piko
08-06-2013, 05:34 PM
Wasn't aware they were working oj another one. Loved The Seer. More swans is always welcome.

thefragile_jake
08-06-2013, 06:13 PM
Swans kicked my ass at Pitchfork Fest last month. They were such a highlight.

carpenoctem
08-06-2013, 06:51 PM
There's a new album in the works already? Is this confirmed somewhere?

Edit: Yep (http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/06/swans-announce-plans-for-new-album/).

I'm stoked. I hated The Seer at first, but a couple months ago it finally clicked and changed my life and the way I listen to long-form music.

blackholesun
08-06-2013, 09:44 PM
The new live album should be awesome too.

fuckit
08-06-2013, 11:06 PM
Have yet to see them live.i like the idea of hearing almost nothing but new material at a show. I can't believe a band this old can still make a landmark album

carpenoctem
08-07-2013, 04:51 PM
Have yet to see them live.i like the idea of hearing almost nothing but new material at a show. I can't believe a band this old can still make a landmark album

This is kind of an ironic comment on a NIN board with a new album less than a month away.

fuckit
08-07-2013, 11:23 PM
It is ironic huh? I didn't mean that it's impossible. But it is a great surprise and delight. I felt this way about mbv's new album and even year zero

burninglard
10-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Did anyone order their new live album?

I just did through their website. It was $40 bucks, but its well worth it. If it is as half as good as their last live album I would still be happy.
Also I like knowing that my money is going to the funding of the new album which I can't fucking wait for.
I would love to see them again. Great show, Michael was a great, humble guy to meet :)

blackholesun
10-14-2013, 11:42 PM
I bought it as well. Definitely well worth it, I got the last one was well. I really like how they have this going. It's so interesting to hear how the songs evolve over tour and then how they translate to record. Definitely stoked to hear this and to hear the album next year.

burninglard
10-14-2013, 11:48 PM
Agreed, I liked that the versions of THE SEER songs played before the album came out sounded different than what made up the album.

It is a very interesting way to do things, lol.
In my opinion it's fucking badass as well.

barkhammer
10-14-2013, 11:59 PM
Absolutely bought it.

Got the version with the DVD and the next studio album for $65. Easily worth it.

xmd 5a
10-15-2013, 06:11 AM
Got the $65 bundle too. Can't wait! The special edition of We Rose from Your Bed... is one of my most prized pieces in my CD collection.

eversonpoe
10-15-2013, 08:44 AM
i really wish they were offering a bundle wherein you could secure a copy of the upcoming album on vinyl, since i try not to buy CDs anymore...but i'm probably going to end up getting the $65 package.

xmd 5a
11-01-2013, 09:40 PM
The "Kirstin Supine" demo is so great. Gira + acoustic guitar + thunder/rain = magic. Gira could put it on the album as-is (lo-fi recording and all) and it'd work.

The live stuff is as awesome as is to be expected. I especially like the (brutal) rendition of "Coward".

richardp
11-02-2013, 08:24 AM
This live album could easily be the most "metal" thing released all year. It's just so HEAVY., in every sense. I love it. That last like 55 minutes of non-stop music is fucking astounding.

Iran_Ed
12-12-2013, 05:34 PM
This live album could easily be the most "metal" thing released all year. It's just so HEAVY., in every sense. I love it. That last like 55 minutes of non-stop music is fucking astounding.I read an interview with Michael near the beginning of the year asking him what his current influences are. I only remember him mentioning early Pink Floyd and Glenn Branca. I'll see if I can find it, but the vibe I'm getting off of this live album reminds me of 70's Miles Davis. Thick, heavy, black tar type music. The music that came out of the Bitches Brew and On The Corner sessions (not what made it onto those albums) is some of the most eye opening music I've ever heard.

Edit: Shit, I found the interview and the first album he mentions is On The Corner. http://thequietus.com/articles/10654-michael-gira-swans-bakers-dozen-favourite-albums?page=1

Iran_Ed
01-27-2014, 09:27 AM
http://pitchfork.com/news/53635-swans-announce-new-album-to-be-kind-featuring-st-vincent-michael-gira-announces-solo-tour/

blackholesun
01-27-2014, 11:56 AM
Color me excited.

blackholesun
03-21-2014, 08:17 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/54441-swans-share-new-song-a-little-god-in-our-hands-six-part-art-for-new-album-to-be-kind/

OH YEAH

richardp
03-21-2014, 08:23 PM
Man this new song is not what I was expecting at all. But I love it. It seems so…upbeat to me. It's so fucking fun. Dare I say, you can… dance to it? I mean, obviously we're talkin' some really ultra suburban white kid dance moves, but none the less.

3:15
03-22-2014, 02:02 PM
That artwork though.

october_midnight
03-22-2014, 04:20 PM
LOL no kidding....it's uhh, interesting.

richardp
03-23-2014, 02:07 AM
This is of course coming from the same band whose last album featuring a grinning dog's face as the album cover, and that same dogs perky butthole as the back cover. These baby heads seem right on track, honestly.

Iran_Ed
03-23-2014, 01:01 PM
This is of course coming from the same band whose last album featuring a grinning dog's face as the album cover, and that same dogs perky butthole as the back cover. These baby heads seem right on track, honestly.
http://schooloftheflower.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/swans-1991-white-light-from-the-mouth-of-infinity.jpg

xmd 5a
03-23-2014, 04:24 PM
http://cdn4.pitchfork.com/albums/10339/homepage_large.e1687b4d.jpg

BRoswell
03-23-2014, 04:45 PM
The new track kind of reminds me of The Seer Returns. Same kind of rhythm.

I just got into the band last year after a friend sent me a compilation of (in his opinion) their best songs, but I love all the stuff I've heard thus far, and I can't wait to hear the new album.

reseen_lamenti
03-23-2014, 07:17 PM
I just got into the band last year after a friend sent me a compilation of (in his opinion) their best songs, but I love all the stuff I've heard thus far, and I can't wait to hear the new album.

Could you post that tracklisting? I'd be curious, if not for the novelty, considering Swans' sound has altered significantly over the years.

BRoswell
03-24-2014, 12:28 AM
Could you post that tracklisting? I'd be curious, if not for the novelty, considering Swans' sound has altered significantly over the years.

Here's the tracks he gave me. Most of it is pre-The Great Annihilator (since I hadn't heard anything in full that came out before that album). There's nothing from the newer albums since I had already heard those.

1. Stay Here
2. Weakling
3. Mother, My Body Disgusts Me
4. Cop
5. Time Is Money (Bastard)
6. Blackmail
7. A Screw (Holy Money)
8. A Hanging
9. Beautiful Child
10. Still A Child
11. The Center Of Your Heart (technically not a Swans song)
12. Blind
13. Failure
14. Love Will Tear Us Apart
15. I Am The Sun
16. Warm
17. Killing For Company
18. Volcano
19. The Sound

Kunstmord
03-24-2014, 12:04 PM
Went to see Michael Gira this Friday. He was late for two hours - walked around the club sipping beer. The show was awesome, though - a very trance-like experience. I think I spent the whole hour just staring into one or two spots.

Also, this:
http://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/t1.0-9/1899951_648528345195863_1553392184_n.jpg
So I guess we have heard all songs in one form or another already (except Some Things We Do).

thefragile_jake
03-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Speaking of Swans, they just announced summer tour dates!

03-24 Odessa, Ukraine - Bernardazzi Wine Club #
03-26 Bucharest, Romania - Control Club #
03-27 Bologna, Italy - Locomotiv #
03-28 Milan, Italy - Bloom #
03-29 Berlin, Germany - Kantine @ Berghain #
05-14 Washington, DC - Black Cat Mainstage *
05-15 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer *
05-17 Boston, MA - Royale Nightclub *
05-18 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom *
05-19 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg *
05-22 Manchester, England - Academy 2 *
05-23 Newcastle, England - Hoults Yard *
05-24 Glasgow, Scotland - The Arches *
05-25 Aberdeen, Scotland - The Lemon Tree *
05-27 London, England - Brixton Electric *
05-28 Bristol, England - Trinity Community Arts *
05-29 Reading, England - Sub89 *
05-31 Birmingham, England - Supersonic Festival - Custard Factory *
06-01 Leeds, England - Cockpit
06-02 Brighton, England - Concorde 2
06-17 Quebec City, Quebec - Le Cercle
06-18 Montreal, Quebec - Theatre National
06-20 Toronto, Ontario - MNW Festival (Yonge-Dundas Square)
06-21 Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
06-22 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
06-24 St. Louis, MO The Ready Room
06-26 Dallas, TX - Trees
06-27 Austin, TX - Mohawk
06-28 Houston, TX - Fitzgerald’s Upstairs
06-30 Nashville, TN - Exit / In
07-01 Charlotte, NC - Neighborhood Theatre
07-02 Louisville, KY - The New Vintage
07-03 Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theater
07-05 Buffalo, NY - Tralf Music Hall
07-06 New Haven, CT - Toad’s Place

I saw them at Pitchfork Fest last year and they were incredible. I've heard great things about them in smaller venues.

Super pumped on this new record.

richardp
03-24-2014, 01:37 PM
Speaking of Swans, they just announced summer tour dates!

03-24 Odessa, Ukraine - Bernardazzi Wine Club #
03-26 Bucharest, Romania - Control Club #
03-27 Bologna, Italy - Locomotiv #
03-28 Milan, Italy - Bloom #
03-29 Berlin, Germany - Kantine @ Berghain #
05-14 Washington, DC - Black Cat Mainstage *
05-15 Philadelphia, PA - Union Transfer *
05-17 Boston, MA - Royale Nightclub *
05-18 New York, NY - Bowery Ballroom *
05-19 Brooklyn, NY - Music Hall of Williamsburg *
05-22 Manchester, England - Academy 2 *
05-23 Newcastle, England - Hoults Yard *
05-24 Glasgow, Scotland - The Arches *
05-25 Aberdeen, Scotland - The Lemon Tree *
05-27 London, England - Brixton Electric *
05-28 Bristol, England - Trinity Community Arts *
05-29 Reading, England - Sub89 *
05-31 Birmingham, England - Supersonic Festival - Custard Factory *
06-01 Leeds, England - Cockpit
06-02 Brighton, England - Concorde 2
06-17 Quebec City, Quebec - Le Cercle
06-18 Montreal, Quebec - Theatre National
06-20 Toronto, Ontario - MNW Festival (Yonge-Dundas Square)
06-21 Detroit, MI - St. Andrews Hall
06-22 Chicago, IL - Lincoln Hall
06-24 St. Louis, MO The Ready Room
06-26 Dallas, TX - Trees
06-27 Austin, TX - Mohawk
06-28 Houston, TX - Fitzgerald’s Upstairs
06-30 Nashville, TN - Exit / In
07-01 Charlotte, NC - Neighborhood Theatre
07-02 Louisville, KY - The New Vintage
07-03 Pittsburgh, PA - Rex Theater
07-05 Buffalo, NY - Tralf Music Hall
07-06 New Haven, CT - Toad’s Place

I saw them at Pitchfork Fest last year and they were incredible. I've heard great things about them in smaller venues.

Super pumped on this new record.

Not surprising to see no KC date. When I saw them a couple of years ago, they played to maybe, shit, 30-40 people tops in a bar set to hold a couple hundred.

burninglard
03-25-2014, 12:53 AM
Not surprising to see no KC date. When I saw them a couple of years ago, they played to maybe, shit, 30-40 people tops in a bar set to hold a couple hundred.

Don't feel bad, It seems like the band has been enjoying doing 2-3 weeks of touring at a time since last year according to Michael. That it keeps things fresh and from dragging on and on. So places like KC and where I am in San Francisco will probably gets shows later in the tour cycle in the fall or winter. :)

Kunstmord
03-29-2014, 01:40 PM
The new album has leaked, 96 kbps CBR though.
Swans don't deserve such low quality leaks.

Piko
03-29-2014, 01:47 PM
The new album has leaked, 96 kbps CBR though.
Swans don't deserve such low quality leaks.

If it were 190 kbps, I'd consider. 96 is way too low. I'll wait. It'll be worth it.

Kunstmord
03-30-2014, 04:02 AM
It's not even a real 'leak', as it turns out - the low-quality tracks are on the Young God Records website.

thefragile_jake
03-30-2014, 09:37 PM
Couldn't control myself and I checked out the leak.

HOLY SHIT, "Just a Little Boy" is insane.

Frozen Beach
03-30-2014, 10:02 PM
I'd download it, but I'm afraid Michael may show up to my house, skin me alive and make a suit from my flesh.

Kunstmord
03-31-2014, 12:40 PM
Must... not... listen
I checked out, like, 5 seconds from each track. Felt ashamed afterwards and had to order the 2CD+DVD edition to compensate.
From what I've heard, it sounds enormous. Powerful. It's probably a GREAT album, and will be in my top-albums-of-all-time list, but I have this suspicion it won't top the Seer for me. It's different, and I heard "The Seer" at a very special time in my life, so there's that.
The noisier snippets I've heard remind me of the early stuff (not musically, but the energy).

Piko
03-31-2014, 01:31 PM
Somehow, I managed to not hear The Seer until its actual release date, which I don't do much of anymore. Glad I did. So, I'm going to try and hold out until the release date.

Kunstmord
03-31-2014, 02:58 PM
The first album I heard by Swans was The Seer, after it had already come out. September the 3rd, 2012. I remember reading about it here on ETS (I think), and thought "I should check this band out". So I went on youtube, and found "The Seer" (the song) and thought "Oh, 30 minutes, that's a short album". A few minutes in I checked Wikipedia, realised that it's just ONE song, and thought I should check them out immediately. One of those rare moments when my view of music changed entirely.
I couldn't get into Cop/Young God/Greed/Holy Money for another year or so.

Piko
03-31-2014, 03:07 PM
I can't get into the older albums. Tried listening to Filth a few days ago. Did nothing for me. I can see obvious influences that they had on Godflesh and other bands, but it really did nothing for me. And no matter what people may say, I absolutely love the White Light album. Why Gira hates it is beyond me. It's a great album.

Think I'm finally "understanding" Soundtracks for the Blind though. At first, I found it boring. Now, not so much. More to it than I had originally given credit.

Kunstmord
03-31-2014, 03:26 PM
Still haven't heard Soundtracks for the Blind. Plan on doing so soon, though.
I don't get all the love for Children of God, though - I honestly dislike half of the tracks on there, and the only real stand-out song I love is "Blind Love".

When Gira played "God Damn the Sun" live at his acoustic show a few weeks ago, it was an amazing experience, but the album version is, um, not so hot. The lyrics are great, but the way he sings them, the amount of reverb on his voice, the strings... Blergh. So I guess "goth"-era Swans are not my cup of tea.

The post-Filth pre-Children of God stuff is brilliant, though. But requires preparation and a certain state of mind to withstand the pummelling onslaught.

But anyway, IMO, post-reunion Swans > pre-reunion Swans.

Piko
03-31-2014, 03:30 PM
Children of God is great. You don't like Beautiful Child? Possibly my favorite song from the band. Pre-Children of God stuff just doesn't so it for me. Not that it's too much. I found a majority of that stuff underwhelming. Time is Money ain't too shabby though.

But, I can agree on enjoying new Swans over the old.

Kunstmord
03-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Children of God is great. You don't like Beautiful Child? Possibly my favorite song from the band.
The only tracks I enjoy are "New Mind", "Sex God Sex", "Real Love" and "Blind Love". The title track is OK. The version of "Blackmail" is good, too, but I actually don't like it's "intimate" sound. The original is so hauntingly beautiful, and the way it stops and "A Screw" kicks in is just wonderful.

eversonpoe
04-12-2014, 10:52 AM
To Be Kind now available for pre-order (http://younggodrecords.com/blogs/news/13201661-swans-to-be-kind-available-for-pre-order)

Young God Records is delighted to announce the release of a new album, To Be Kind, out on May 13, 2014. The album will be released on Young God Records (North America) and Mute in the rest of the world.Pre order your copy now A NOTE FROM MICHAEL GIRA: Hello There,We (Swans) have recently completed our new album. It is called To Be Kind. The release date is set for May 13, 2014. It will be available as a triple vinyl album, a double CD, and a 2XCD Deluxe Edition that will include a live DVD. It will also be available digitally.

more in the link.

BRoswell
04-16-2014, 04:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jSdTBGhDSg

reseen_lamenti
04-16-2014, 05:14 PM
Oxygen just named BNT by P4K
http://pitchfork.com/reviews/tracks/16866-oxygen

Considering A Little God In My Hands was also BNT, are you guys ready for 10/10 BNM AOTY?

richardp
04-17-2014, 12:32 AM
Won't be a 10/10.
Callin' it now. It will be a 9.1

xmd 5a
04-17-2014, 05:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jSdTBGhDSg

HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! Track of '14 thus far, hands down.

eversonpoe
04-17-2014, 08:07 AM
HOLY FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK! Track of '13 thus far, hands down.

it's, uh...2014 ;p

blackholesun
04-17-2014, 02:13 PM
West Coast Dates Added. The Independent is pretty damn small. Surprised they are playing there. Might be a bitch to get tickets.

09/02 – Denver, CO @ Bluebird Theater
09/04 – Seattle, WA @ Showbox
09/05 – Vancouver, BA @ The Venue
09/06 – Portland, OR @ Roseland Theater
09/08 – San Francisco, CA @ Independent
09/11 – Hollywood, CA @ The Roxy Theatre

xmd 5a
04-25-2014, 11:51 PM
Partway through my first proper listen of To Be Kind now. My jaw actually dropped on 3 separate occasions during "Bring the Sun" alone. This is really something.

Kunstmord
04-27-2014, 02:34 AM
In case you didn't catch it, an official trailer for the album has been released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntpzqsHt8w
Still haven't listened to the leak.
Can't wait for the album and DVD. I'm Just a Little Boy sounds like it's going to be awesome (and very different to the live version).

reseen_lamenti
04-27-2014, 02:49 AM
Still haven't listened to the leak.
Ditto. It's especially difficult with so many 320 fakes/transcodes lying around.

xmd 5a
04-27-2014, 03:49 AM
It's on Spotify. I figured if I'm going to listen to it prior to receiving my copy officially I may as well do so in a way from which M.Gira and co get an extra couple of hundredths of a cent...

Kunstmord
04-27-2014, 04:45 AM
It's on Spotify. I figured if I'm going to listen to it prior to receiving my copy officially I may as well do so in a way from which M.Gira and co get an extra couple of hundredths of a cent...
Really? Damn, no Spotify here in Russia. What quality are the tracks that are on Spotify? I might listen if a proper non-transcode leak surfaces, I bought the physical 2CD+DVD edition already anyway.

05-05-2014, 04:59 AM
Full stream on NPR (http://www.npr.org/2014/05/04/308392426/first-listen-swans-to-be-kind).

Kunstmord
05-06-2014, 02:06 PM
So, I listened to the stream today.
What a disappointment (for me, at least). Here's a small track-by-track:
Screen Shot: starts off interestingly, but turns out to be the same melody with very little variation, simple lyrics and the ending feels 'tacked on' – no smooth transition or anything.
Just a Little Boy: again, this is just the same riff, with some random guitar noises and odd canned laughter, pretty much non-existent vocal track. 12 minutes of going nowhere. The live version was so evil, energetic and powerful, and this is just a long ball-less blues jam.
A Little God In My Hands: finally, a good track. A bit poppy, but the groove is very sexy, and the synth noise section is awesome.
Bring the Sun/Touissant L'Ouverture: At least this track is epic, great and all kinds of very good. The buildups, the transition, the slow groove.
Some Things We Do: I expected something different, but this is a great song. Very haunting.
She Loves Us!: again, a long intro with no nuances, no changes in dynamics, then an improv noise section (which sounds boring – I hate this kind of stuff on records, it might have been for the musicians to play, but it rarely is fun to listen to), then the main part of the song. And no real buildup, just a rolling repetitive riff and Gira half-shouting something. The live version was pure chaos, and the studio version is a song that never even comes close to chaos, never feels angry. There are some random guitar parts closer to the end, which only distracted me, and felt like an afterthought.
Kirsten Supine: a beautiful song. The percussion is interesting, the outro section is really mournful-sounding.
Oxygen: I never liked the song to begin with (except the acoustic version), and the studio version has some weird double-tracked vocals, reverbed and delay-ed vocals which makes it worse than the live version (imo), but the brass section after the mid-song pause is kinda cool. All in all, I guess it's OK.
Nathalie Neal: same as She Loves Us! - a powerful live version turned into the same parts with no variation, no real force behind it. The intro is completely pointless, since it just fades out into the song and feels completely out-of-place.
To Be Kind: OK, but noticeably faster than the live version, and has those double-tracked Gira vocals which I don't enjoy. The "there are millions and millions of stars" line can be heard quite well (unlike the Not Here/Not Now version). I liked it better when it was barely audible.

What I enjoyed about the (post-reunion) Swans were the dynamics, the unusual instrumentation, the tremendous buildups, the lyrics (even if the lyrics were simple, the energy behind them made that irrelevant – The Apostate, for example). To Be Kind is not exactly dynamic, the section have little to no nuances (random guitar notes and drum hits don't count; I'm talking like the layering on Mother of the World), no interplay between the drummers (which I miss), the lyrics are OK at best, and Gira seems not to put any energy into them (except on Bring the Sun), and most of the songs just kind of plod along, never reaching the chaos/power of their live versions. Listening to Just a Little Boy, Nathalie Neal, She Loves Us! on Not Here/Not Now made me physically exhausted.

Sorry for the long post, just had to organise my thoughts, considering how long I've been waiting for this album.

eversonpoe
05-07-2014, 12:09 AM
^ reading your review earlier had me worried, but then i just read this (http://www.stereogum.com/1679622/premature-evaluation-swans-to-be-kind/franchises/premature-evaluation/) and i feel a whole lot better about looking forward to this album.

(i try to never listen to leaks/streams before an album comes out, so i've only heard the early/live versions of the songs on not here not now)

richardp
05-08-2014, 02:07 AM
This is AOTY so far. Unbelievably stirring, haunting, terrifying, and beautiful piece of art that tops The Seer in every way. I'm truly in awe of this record.

Piko
05-11-2014, 12:51 AM
I caved... Loving it. I can already say that I might be enjoying this more than The Seer (which is an amazing album). This album is absolutely chaotic. I don't think i'll be putting this album down for awhile. Some of this stuff is very reminiscent of early swans, but better, and more refined. If The Seer is the culmination of what Gira had done up until that point, To Be Kind did it as well and a whole lot better.

richardp
05-12-2014, 12:20 AM
Won't be a 10/10.
Callin' it now. It will be a 9.1

SO CLOSE.

I was ONE DECIMAL away. Not sure whether to be ashamed or proud of how well I can predict Pitchfork scores.

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/19326-swans-to-be-kind/

Rdm
05-12-2014, 05:40 AM
JUST A LITTLE BOY

The melodies are amazing

xmd 5a
05-12-2014, 05:50 AM
JUST A LITTLE BOY

The melodies are amazing

One of my favourite things about this album is Gira's vocal delivery. He sounds the most 'deranged' he has even been on some of these tracks. TOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSANT. LLLLLLLLLLL OUUVER TOOOOO WAAAAAAAA.

Iran_Ed
05-16-2014, 01:53 PM
The tour started on Wednesday night in DC. They did four new songs along with three from To Be Kind and one from The Seer. Michael is going to have a heart attack on stage one of these days. I thought he was going to hurt himself during
The Apostate.
Oxygen has now been turned into a slow moving sludgefest.

05-17-2014, 12:25 PM
The tour started on Wednesday night in DC. They did four new songs along with three from To Be Kind and one from The Seer. Michael is going to have a heart attack on stage one of these days. I thought he was going to hurt himself during
The Apostate.
Oxygen has now been turned into a slow moving sludgefest.Christ this sounds amazing. I cannot wait to see them next month.

Kunstmord
05-17-2014, 05:36 PM
After repeated listens, I have to say, my opinion of the album has improved drastically. Still don't like the studio versions of Natalie Neal and She Loves Us!, but I finally got into the other songs.
Just a Little Boy now sounds awesome.

I would love to hear a sludgefest version of Oxygen.
How do the new songs sound?
Did they play Bring the Sun part only, or the whole song (with Touissant Louverture)?

Hopefully will see them in November when they come to Moscow.

xmd 5a
05-18-2014, 06:07 AM
http://thequietus.com/articles/15163-michael-gira-swans-to-be-kind-interview

A couple of weeks old now, but this has got to be one of the best and most comprehensive recent interviews with M.Gira I've read. Lots of 'historical' detail too.

Iran_Ed
05-18-2014, 08:13 AM
I would love to hear a sludgefest version of Oxygen.
How do the new songs sound?
Did they play Bring the Sun part only, or the whole song (with Touissant Louverture)?

Hopefully will see them in November when they come to Moscow.

The new songs are still very rough, at the end of the show Michael apologize saying it's a completely new set and they're still trying to get it down.
The version of The Seer they did in 2012 when I saw them and the version on Not Here/Not Now are completely different.
Hearing what they come up with after they've had some time with the songs is the only reason I wish they had started the tour elsewhere.
Bring The Sun was without Toussaint Louverture.

The final song has Michael yelling I'm an asshole man, I'm a black hole man.

thefragile_jake
06-27-2014, 11:29 PM
I saw Swans on Tuesday and it was downright incredible. I was always a casual fan a couple years back but seeing them live for the first time at Pitchfork Festival last year completely changed my outlook on them and To Be Kind is without a doubt one of the most punishing and rewarding albums of the year.

Being front row and experiencing the sonic assault of a Swans show that close is an experience I'll never forget. I know a lot of other groups do this, like Animal Collective previously, but I adore the fact that they decide to write material on the road and preview it for shows. Hearing Oxygen off TBK for the first time last year never left my mind and hearing it on the record this year brought back incredible memories. I'm sure the new material from Tuesday's show will do the same when a new record is dropped.

And yes. It's incredibly loud. So loud in fact that Gira could barely hear himself on the microphone while the venue's sound guy endless fumbled trying to find the right balance. Michael educated him on how to fix it and went on to "don't ever turn my vocals down." Michael Gira is an intimidating and captivating front man and his band that he has assembled for this incarnation of Swans has them at their best. I feel like I've been really fanboying over these guys this year but it's well worth it.

eversonpoe
06-30-2014, 01:06 AM
my friend (who writes for consequence of sound) got to interview michael gira last weekend while they were in chicago. i'm really excited to read it. i'll post it when it's up.

eversonpoe
07-13-2014, 03:23 PM
alright, as promised, here's my best friend/band mate/ring bearer for my wedding interviewing michael gira (http://consequenceofsound.net/video/rock-it-out-blog-a-conversation-with-swans/) (whose name is pronounced "je-rah" apparently).

a lot of "hardcore" swans fans have given him crap for asking "silly" questions, but those are the questions he wanted to ask. he just wanted to have a conversation with the guy as if he was a regular guy, and not try to get all deep and crazy like some interviewers seem to get.

Shadaloo
07-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Okay, after checking out Soundtracks for the Blind from the Scary Music thread at work and being pretty impressed, I decided to go back and, based on rough descriptions of their discography, checked out Children of God. That...is a powerful, awesome album right there and it's going to be on repeat for a little while.

I'm looking forward to exploring this discography. I can tell it's going to be hit and miss though, I'm halfway through The Burning World right now as I type and holy shit is this the same band

eversonpoe
07-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Okay, after checking out Soundtracks for the Blind from the Scary Music thread at work and being pretty impressed, I decided to go back and, based on rough descriptions of their discography, checked out Children of God. That...is a powerful, awesome album right there and it's going to be on repeat for a little while.

I'm looking forward to exploring this discography. I can tell it's going to be hit and miss though, I'm halfway through The Burning World right now as I type and holy shit is this the same band

the burning world was a production collaboration with bill laswell (who is normally awesome) but, yeah, that album is atrocious, a fact with which almost everyone agrees.

Frozen Beach
07-17-2014, 02:35 PM
God Damn the Sun is a great song though

Shadaloo
07-21-2014, 12:01 PM
Yeah, that was about the only one that really stuck out to me.

I have now gone through Greed and Holy Money and don't think I'll be doing that again. Just...really monotonous, repetitive and miserably bleak, and not in that good cathartic way. Makes me wonder if I should even try Filth or Cop, as I know those'll be even more out there. Feels like I'll be enjoying the later albums more when I work up to them.

eversonpoe
07-21-2014, 02:20 PM
Yeah, that was about the only one that really stuck out to me.

I have now gone through Greed and Holy Money and don't think I'll be doing that again. Just...really monotonous, repetitive and miserably bleak, and not in that good cathartic way. Makes me wonder if I should even try Filth or Cop, as I know those'll be even more out there. Feels like I'll be enjoying the later albums more when I work up to them.

i like their early stuff ok, don't care much for some of the middle period stuff, and love the (original) late period stuff (great annihilator, soundtracks for the blind, swans are dead). but nothing tops their last three albums, in my opinion. they're just so fucking good.

frankie teardrop
07-21-2014, 03:31 PM
the burning world was a production collaboration with bill laswell (who is normally awesome) but, yeah, that album is atrocious, a fact with which almost everyone agrees.

not really. it's underrated and notorious for michael gira's poor opinion of the record, but most fans i've talked to range from liking it just fine to loving it. i've heard very little disdain for that record from the peanut gallery, especially these days.

eversonpoe
07-21-2014, 04:20 PM
not really. it's underrated and notorious for michael gira's poor opinion of the record, but most fans i've talked to range from liking it just fine to loving it. i've heard very little disdain for that record from the peanut gallery, especially these days.

fair enough. i (clearly) don't like it much, but i'm ok with that, and i'm ok with other people liking it! hope i didn't sound too snobby before.

eversonpoe
11-14-2014, 02:55 PM
got my ticket to see them at Thalia Hall (newish venue here in chicago) on february 21st. super excited as i've never seen them live before. :D

wizfan
02-15-2015, 06:00 PM
So, the song Black Hole Man hasn't been released in studio form yet, right? Bummer. I saw them perform it live last December and loved it.

https://soundcloud.com/monjourviendra/black-hole-man-louisville-070214

october_midnight
07-24-2015, 10:23 AM
Bittersweet news...

There will be a new crowdfunded live album called 'The Gate' coming soon...and the money raised from that will help go towards the next official...and last...Swans LP. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/07/swans-announce-final-album-with-current-lineup-to-be-crowd-funded-by-live-album/)

BRoswell
07-24-2015, 01:18 PM
It doesn't sound like the last Swans album though, just the last one featuring the current version of the band. Either way, I'm pretty excited about this.

october_midnight
07-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Hopefully that's the case of course, but who knows with Gira haha.

blackholesun
07-24-2015, 01:40 PM
Yeah it definitely says this this version/iteration of the band. Interesting to see if there is a shift in direction or if it is just the end of the band.

Kunstmord
09-02-2015, 09:30 AM
So, The Gate (live album) is here!
http://younggodrecords.com/products/the-gate

I ordered the 100$ edition, since well, the 20$ premium over the live album + new LP seems not a big deal, and well, the last Swans album of this incarnation (which is my favourite) will have my name in there somewhere.

Wonder when it starts shipping, hopefully very soon, can't wait to hear the live songs (especially Black-Eyed Man – which is probably the Black Hole Man song, which was so fucking groovy when I saw them live).

Lerxto
09-27-2015, 06:37 AM
The Gate is now sold out! Shipping date also announced, Oct. 1st.

wizfan
09-27-2015, 08:16 AM
Wonder when it starts shipping, hopefully very soon, can't wait to hear the live songs (especially Black-Eyed Man – which is probably the Black Hole Man song, which was so fucking groovy when I saw them live).

My words precisely. Still hoping we'll get a studio version of this song sometime.

blackholesun
10-14-2015, 05:56 PM
Listening to The Gate right now. Frankie M...hooollly shit. Haven't gotten goosebumps for a song like this in a like time.

Kunstmord
10-15-2015, 12:41 AM
I found a rip on the internets (while waiting for my signed CD to arrive), and yes, the record is awesome. The abstract direction of the songs is great, and Black Hole Man – holy shit! I was blown away by it when I saw them live, and this version is great too, especially if the volume is turned up high enough to be nearly painful. The demos are demos, but it will be interesting to see how they flesh out on the record.
All in all, a great record (though I still think the aggressive rock version of Just A Little Boy that appears on Not Here/Not Now is the best one).

reseen_lamenti
10-15-2015, 04:29 PM
White Light From The Mouth of Infinity & Love Of Life in a 3 LP + 1 CD boxset on December 4th

(http://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/white-light-from-the-mouth-of-infinity-love-of-life-ltd-ed-vinyl-box-set-3cd-release)
The two albums will be initially released as a limited vinyl box set, presented in the original restored artwork, which includes paintings by Deryk Thomas. The 2500 micron black lined box - with original logo in silver foil block in black paper - will also include 2 rare posters, a CD of outtakes and contemporaneous live recordings and a download code for both albums.

In addition, White Light from the Mouth of Infinity and Love of Life will be available as a 3xCD set (which will include the bonus disc), individual vinyl albums (these will be available after the box set has sold out) and digitally.

White Light from the Mouth of Infinity, Swans’ seventh studio album originally released in 1991, is considered the starting point for the second section of Swans’ inimitable history. Described as “…the glistening, glimmering sounds of the pensive countryside” by Stereogum, this will be the first time White Light from the Mouth of Infinity has been available on vinyl since its original release on Young God Records in 1991. The vinyl issue will include the track ‘Blind’, not included in the original release.

Love of Life, the band’s eighth studio album, followed soon after in 1992. According to Allmusic’s Ned Ragget, “Love of Life continues the astounding creative roll Swans found themselves on … yet another Swans masterpiece." The vinyl version of this album has also been unavailable since its original release.

3xCD box set

CD 1
1 Better Than You
2 Power and Sacrifice
3 You Know Nothing
4 Song for Dead Time
5 Will We Survive
6 Love Will Save You
7 Faliure
8 Song for the Sun
9 Miracle of Love
10 Blind
11 When She Breathes
12 Why Are We Alive
13 The Most Unfortunate Lie

CD 2
1 (---) Pt. 1
2 Love of Life
3 The Golden Boy That Was Swallowed by the Sea
4 (---) Pt. 2
5 (---) Pt. 3
6 The Other Side of the World
7 Her
8 The Sound of Freedom
9 (---) Pt. 4
10 Amnesia
11 Identity
12 (---) Pt. 5
13 In the Eyes of Nature
14 She Cries (For Spider)
15 God Loves America
16 (---) Pt. 6
17 No Cure for the Lonely

CD 3
1 Amnesia (Long)
2 Song for Dead Time (MG Version)
3 You Know Everything
4 Mother’s Milk
5 The Child’s Right
6 Love of Life (Short)
7 Unfortunate Lie (Inst. Version)
8 No Cruel Angel
9 Black Eyed Dog
10 Love of Life (Long)
11 Picture of Maryanne
12 Amnesia (Live)
13 Dream Dream
14 Please Remember Me
15 Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes
16 The Unknown
17 Blood on Your Hands
18 A Young Girl Needs

3xLP / 1xCD box set

White Light from the Mouth of Infinity

Side A
1 Better Than You
2 Power and Sacrifice
3 You Know Nothing

Side B
4 Song for Dead Time
5 Will We Survive
6 Love Will Save You

Side C
7 Faliure
8 Song for the Sun
9 Miracle of Love

Side D
10 Blind
11 When She Breathes
12 Why Are We Alive
13 The Most Unfortunate Lie

Love of Life
Side A
1 (---) Pt. 1
2 Love of Life
3 The Golden Boy That Was Swallowed by the Sea
4 (---) Pt. 2
5 (---) Pt. 3
6 The Other Side of the World
7 Her
8 The Sound of Freedom
Side B
9 (---) Pt. 4
10 Amnesia
11 Identity
12 (---) Pt. 5
13 In the Eyes of Nature
14 She Cries (For Spider)
15 God Loves America
16 (---) Pt. 6
17 No Cure for the Lonely

Bonus CD
1 Amnesia (Long)
2 Song for Dead Time (MG Version)
3 You Know Everything
4 Mother’s Milk
5 The Child’s Right
6 Love of Life (Short)
7 Unfortunate Lie (Inst. Version)
8 No Cruel Angel
9 Black Eyed Dog
10 Love of Life (Long)
11 Picture of Maryanne
12 Amnesia (Live)
13 Dream Dream
14 Please Remember Me
15 Drink to Me Only With Thine Eyes
16 The Unknown
17 Blood on Your Hands
18 A Young Girl Needs

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0397/1609/products/swans_box_set_WL_LoL_grande.jpg?v=1444771029

(http://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/white-light-from-the-mouth-of-infinity-love-of-life-ltd-ed-vinyl-box-set-3cd-release)

Kunstmord
10-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Can't stop listening to The Gate, because holy shit those songs! Took a while to get to groove to the abstract goodness that Apos/The Cloud of Unforming is, though.

eversonpoe
01-21-2016, 04:56 PM
just finishing up listening to White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity out of the vinyl box set that came out recently.

definitely glad i gave this album another chance, because it's fantastic. not sure why i wasn't into it the first time i heard it, but i love it now. and the new pressing sounds phenomenal. looking forward to giving "Love Of Life" a spin soon.

october_midnight
02-23-2016, 12:43 PM
Michael Gira shares details about the new album, scheduled to be released in May. (http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/02/michael-gira-details-swans-valedictory-new-album/)

orestes
02-25-2016, 10:10 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

emptydesk
02-25-2016, 10:21 PM
Least surprising news in rock history.

Frozen Beach
02-26-2016, 05:22 AM
Apparently Michael's wife claims she has proof that Larkin Grimm is lying, but she's not allowed to present it publicly right now
http://i68.tinypic.com/24gv9mq.png

eversonpoe
02-26-2016, 07:45 AM
well, that's a twist.

i felt super sick to my stomach over this last night when i found out, and now i just don't know what to think.

perceptionnexus
02-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Innocent until proven guilty, as far as I'm concerned. Most people likely aren't going to know either party on a personal level, at least enough to make a proper judgment otherwise.

frankie teardrop
02-26-2016, 11:23 AM
while no one has enough information to make any judgement on the situation one way or the other, it's also not a good look to discredit larkin grimm, which a lot of people are doing on social media. while i really hope this didn't happen for all parties involved, it's equally shitty to attack her or discredit her in any way, regardless of what statements have been made so far.

triplesun
02-26-2016, 11:49 AM
God, this makes me sick to my stomach. The whole situation is so fucked up and tragic whichever way one looks at it. I'm despairing in so many ways right now...

I abhor the "guilty until proven innocent" social media lynching that inevitably follows stories like this, but I really have no idea what to think about this. Every fiber of my being wants to believe this isn't true, but Grimm lays out a pretty clear-eyed and convincing summation, and to my outsider's perspective, has nothing to gain from a false accusation (other than, perhaps, revenge, which seems to be Gira's explanation for it). Conversely, the way Gira and his wife are handling this is messy to say the least. His wife's semi-coherent defense comes off as brash, knee-jerk and ableist. Of course, I can't guarantee I wouldn't be as panicked and recklessly hasty to defend myself or a loved one if I were in her shoes...but the differences in how each party is choosing to handle the situation certainly don't reflect well on Gira.

Another thing that is bothering me about this is that, as I was reading Grimm's post, I recalled this (https://youtu.be/Mpn3OyHBigg) interview with David Yow in which he recounts an incident that occurred at J.G. Thirlwell's apartment in the mid-80s where Gira came on to him, shoved his tongue in Yow's mouth and Yow bit it so hard he drew blood in an attempt to get away. I'm seeing a lot of fans dismissing Grimm's accusation on the basis that what she claims seems horribly out of character for Gira, but the fact is that until recent years he had a terrible reputation for belligerent behavior of all kinds, and there is at least some sort of precedence for sexual harrassment/misconduct here.

I have no idea how this will all pan out, but I have a feeling it's going to get really ugly fast, and that the fallout will be massive.

Frozen Beach
02-26-2016, 12:12 PM
I honestly think that Michael and his wife's statements come off realistic in this situation. Of course, some of the things they have said may not help make them look good to some people, but that's because they're confronting the issue ASAP with emotions running wild. I imagine they're both in a state of shock of sorts. While their way of making a statement may have not been perfect, I think it's better than the usual "wait and construct a statement." Those always seem very fake to me. If you're being accused of something, you don't want to marinate on it, you want to confront it. And confronting it head on might not be the smartest idea, but I think it's the most human.

emptydesk
02-26-2016, 12:39 PM
thought it was tacky to put his wife in front of it, and then for his wife to use her experience as a bludgeon to victim shame

nobody looks good here

screwdriver
02-26-2016, 01:02 PM
I am always fascinated by people's omniscience when it comes to analyzing social media, as if there is some magic status that just needs to be typed. Let's assume that someone is falsely accused of rape on social media, and it goes viral -- how on earth are they actually supposed to respond in the court of public opinion? No clue. Terrifying.

emptydesk
02-26-2016, 01:13 PM
given that occurrences of false rape accusation is infinitessimally miniscule compared to actual rape accusation, compounded with the fact that we are still not culturally or legally capable of taking rape seriously... i'm comfortable supporting potential victims in that environment

eversonpoe
02-26-2016, 02:53 PM
given that occurrences of false rape accusation is infinitessimally miniscule compared to actual rape accusation, compounded with the fact that we are still not culturally or legally capable of taking rape seriously... i'm comfortable supporting potential victims in that environment

wow, i did not expect to agree with you so wholeheartedly on anything, but you basically just repeated something (nearly verbatim) that i said in the feminist thread the other day.

screwdriver
02-26-2016, 02:58 PM

Nobody isn't supporting victims. I'm just interested in an answer to the hypothetical, especially given that you called his wife's post "tacky" and otherwise felt comfortable commenting on her post, with zero real insight into the situation.

emptydesk
02-26-2016, 03:14 PM
Dude, his wife publicly called his accuser crazy. It is tacky.

emptydesk
02-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Good read: http://www.bkmag.com/2016/02/26/aftermath-and-recovery-heathcliff-berru-speaks-and-reporting-on-sexual-assault-in-the-music-industry/

ad infinitum
02-26-2016, 07:44 PM
Gira has released a statement acknowledging there was a romantic encounter, but it was not rape- http://www.stereogum.com/1862310/swans-michael-gira-details-consensual-romantic-moment-with-rape-accuser/news/

It seems like several years back I heard or read something alleging Gira had been physically abusive towards Jarboe, but now I can't find much about it anywhere. Anyone else hear something along those lines?

emptydesk
02-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Sure there Gira, let's not acknowledge that the key part here is that she was passed out.

xmd 5a
02-26-2016, 09:16 PM
while no one has enough information to make any judgement on the situation one way or the other, it's also not a good look to discredit larkin grimm, which a lot of people are doing on social media. while i really hope this didn't happen for all parties involved, it's equally shitty to attack her or discredit her in any way, regardless of what statements have been made so far.

Pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Many of the comments being made about her are profoundly disturbing, and part of the reason why survivors of sexual violence may be reluctant to come forward.

ad infinitum
02-28-2016, 03:31 PM
Larkin's response to the statement Gira released. Very thought-provoking.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6890514/larkin-grimm-swans-michael-gira-rape-response-statement/

Frozen Beach
03-02-2016, 10:14 PM
I haven't really been paying attention to this situation, but Michael's ex wife posted this
http://i65.tinypic.com/k55qaw.png

This is entirely the opposite of Larkin's claim that she told Siobhan about it, and Siobhan questioned if their daughter was safe from Michael. I can't even find the post of that claim anymore. She deleted it for some reason.

edit: found a screencap http://i66.tinypic.com/de613.jpg

eversonpoe
03-03-2016, 07:59 AM
see, now, Siobhan's statement is level-headed and reasonable, and that i actually believe. i think. i don't know, i'm having a really hard time with this whole thing.

Frozen Beach
03-03-2016, 08:38 AM
see, now, Siobhan's statement is level-headed and reasonable, and that i actually believe. i think. i don't know, i'm having a really hard time with this whole thing.
yeah, well she's not helping her self by posting comments like this.
http://i65.tinypic.com/2133ypt.png

I know this situation is serious, but now it just feels like I'm watching an episode of Jerry Springer.

eversonpoe
03-03-2016, 01:43 PM
yeah, well she's not helping her self by posting comments like this.
http://i65.tinypic.com/2133ypt.png

I know this situation is serious, but now it just feels like I'm watching an episode of Jerry Springer.

oh jesus, yeah, that's ridiculous.

this whole thing is ridiculous.

i kind of hate people a lot right now, in general. i'm just gonna go crawl in a cave and listen to mamiffer forever.

Frozen Beach
03-04-2016, 11:00 AM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/margaret-morris-of-heroes-are-gang-leaders-denies-larkin-grimms-allegations-against-thomas-sayers-ellis/ (http://www.brooklynvegan.com/margaret-morris-of-heroes-are-gang-leaders-denies-larkin-grimms-allegations-against-thomas-sayers-ellis/)

This is somewhat relevant

ad infinitum
03-04-2016, 10:11 PM
Wow. This whole thing is getting supremely ugly & rather depressing.

Frozen Beach
03-04-2016, 11:17 PM
edit: found a screencap http://i66.tinypic.com/de613.jpg
Siobhan confirms this claim is a lie
http://i66.tinypic.com/bf4a35.jpg

blackholesun
03-05-2016, 02:08 AM
Not sure what to think about this whole thing. I'll always side with the victim immediately, but I'm seriously conflicted here. And this has nothing to do with my fandom of Swans, which I'm willing to throw away in an instant if this is true.

Lerxto
04-05-2016, 07:04 PM
New album, 'The Glowing Man' out June 17th
http://younggodrecords.com/products/the-glowing-man

(additional information)
8 Tracks, total 118min

1. Cloud Of Forgetting 12:43
2. Cloud Of Unknowing 25:12
3. The World Looks Red/The World Looks Black 14:27
4. People Like Us 4:32
5. Frankie M. 20:58
6. When Will I Return? 5:26
7. The Glowing Man (previously known as The Black-Hole Man) 28:50
8. Finally, Peace 6:15

october_midnight
04-27-2016, 09:53 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaEhwvk44JQ

Lerxto
06-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Looks like the new album is already being shipped.
I just can't wait to get my hands on this one. Based on what I've heard so far this record could be better than To Be Kind, even The Seer.

Lerxto
06-10-2016, 08:13 AM
After the rape accusation it seems like many people here have relatively lost interest in Swans or anything M. Gira related, but The Glowing Man leaked yesterday, and it's magnificent.
The long tracks are concise, groovy or ambient at times, the short ones are as always, moving.

eversonpoe
06-10-2016, 01:36 PM
After the rape accusation it seems like many people here have relatively lost interest in Swans or anything M. Gira related, but The Glowing Man leaked yesterday, and it's magnificent.
The long tracks are concise, groovy or ambient at times, the short ones are as always, moving.

yeah i'm feeling very conflicted about swans these days. i pre-ordered the vinyl from amazon (don't care about it being signed at all, and i have signed copies of the previous two albums) and i'm looking forward to listening to it, but i'm worried my distaste with gira will color my enjoyment of the record. still not sure what really happened or who was in the wrong, but the entire situation is very uncomfortable.

xmd 5a
06-18-2016, 10:58 PM
Really enjoyed my first listen of The Glowing Man. Nothing radically different to the previous two records, but it leans more on the sprawling pastoral vibes than the punishing, hypnotic slabs of noise. Seems like a decent way of closing out this era of the project.

All that said, I'd be lying if I said the recent nastiness hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for the band overall.

burninglard
06-18-2016, 11:10 PM
Ordered the new album today and bought a ticket to see them in SF. :)

perceptionnexus
06-21-2016, 02:38 PM
I'm really digging what I'm hearing so far from the album. It's a little more chilled out and accessible, at least compared to The Seer and To Be Kind.

blackholesun
06-22-2016, 12:08 AM
Fantastic album. Like the last 2, it's a tough but rewarding listen. It might be my favorite after all is said and done. The "softer" edges appeal to me a bit more.

eversonpoe
06-22-2016, 11:40 AM
listening to it now on vinyl. only on the first track but i'm enjoying it so far.

i'm trying to just disconnect what happened recently with michael gira from the music, but it's an exercise in futility for me. oh well.

eversonpoe
06-23-2016, 09:10 AM
listening to it now on vinyl. only on the first track but i'm enjoying it so far.

i'm trying to just disconnect what happened recently with michael gira from the music, but it's an exercise in futility for me. oh well.

alright, i really liked the first three songs, but after that, the album just kind of fell apart for me.
"when will i return", instead of being a haunting and touching song becomes a rape revenge fantasy that is extremely disturbing, especially in light of the accusations thrown at michael gira. the fact that he wrote it for his wife to sing is even more unsettling.

"my father..." A-
"the seer" A
"to be kind" A
"the glowing man" C+

Frozen Beach
07-21-2016, 07:38 PM
This is exciting news

http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/swans-be-joined-former-member-jarboe-atlanta-show (http://www.tinymixtapes.com/news/swans-be-joined-former-member-jarboe-atlanta-show)

Frozen Beach
01-24-2017, 11:00 AM
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1000942931/where-does-a-body-end-a-documentary-on-the-band-sw (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1000942931/where-does-a-body-end-a-documentary-on-the-band-sw)

This looks like it will be amazing

fillow
03-18-2017, 05:06 AM
Yesterday I saw Swans live, fourth/fifth row dead center, in a fairly small club. Loved every second of it.
On 10th minute of a first song a power blew out, causing a few minutes of delay.
By the end of the night my ears all but bled. Hands down my loudest fucking show ever. 15 hours later it's still ringing (I was offered earplugs at the entry, considered for a bit... and said 'meh'. Don't repeat my mistake if you haven't seen them yet)

Prettybrokenspiral
09-01-2018, 10:18 PM
https://img.discogs.com/Wa3z1RuGf294BQo2W5LxUM1Nb_0=/fit-in/600x593/filters:strip_icc():format(jpeg):mode_rgb():qualit y(90)/discogs-images/R-886352-1214386663.jpeg.jpg

After investing in the recently released 4-LP vinyl box set earlier this summer and listening consistently for the better part of a month, I’m ready to officially acknowledge this as one of my top ten favorite albums ever..

burninglard
09-02-2018, 12:53 AM
Soundtracks For The Blind is definitely an amazing album. I got the 3disc cd reissue with Die Tur Ist Su. Worth the money! Pretty much was the only release I was missing from them. I love that all there live albums are like new albums in their own way. That they rework songs so they are different from the studio versions.

imail724
03-01-2019, 01:16 PM
I just got into Swans a few months ago and they've become my new obsession. So figured I might as well revive this thread with some new album news (https://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/what-is-this).

burninglard
03-02-2019, 01:21 PM
I just got into Swans a few months ago and they've become my new obsession. So figured I might as well revive this thread with some new album news (https://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/what-is-this).
I usually go for these releases to help fund the next album, but I don’t think I am to interested in this one. $40 for a cd of demos of Gira just playing acoustic guitar and singing. That’s why I have Angels Of Light. I will say those Boxes look really beautiful though.

fillow
08-20-2019, 05:57 PM
https://vimeo.com/324870530

Also new album comes October-ish

imail724
09-05-2019, 10:04 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZVZo30M8Lc

New album, "leaving meaning.", available for pre-order. Release date October 25. (https://younggodrecords.com/products/leaving-meaning?fbclid=IwAR1OTojr9j2XaTIjyUS1mbNWvZ8e_yydz 4HBjKiEXmBMTyLf7K5YjTUuzGY)

Tom
09-06-2019, 07:30 AM
Collaborators include Chris Abrahams and Ben Frost - should be good!

StockAvuryah
09-06-2019, 07:24 PM
Fuck I missed the last tour, I wanted to be blasted, now it’s going to be slightly less heavy live.

But anywyay, this seems like a good change of pace, can’t wait.

imail724
09-07-2019, 10:40 AM
Fuck I missed the last tour, I wanted to be blasted, now it’s going to be slightly less heavy live.

But anywyay, this seems like a good change of pace, can’t wait.Same. I'm not missing them on this upcoming tour, but man I wish I got to see them last time they came around.

imail724
11-19-2019, 02:54 PM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/swans-announce-2020-tour-with-anna-von-hausswolff/

Haven't gotten to see Swans live yet, so I will definitely be at one of those 2 NY shows. Is it odd that they are selling tix for shows so far out in the future? Will these sell out quickly?

burninglard
11-21-2019, 12:57 AM
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/swans-announce-2020-tour-with-anna-von-hausswolff/

Haven't gotten to see Swans live yet, so I will definitely be at one of those 2 NY shows. Is it odd that they are selling tix for shows so far out in the future? Will these sell out quickly?
On the last world tour they put tickets for my shows on sale way early and they didn’t sell out. So I think you are safe to wait a little if you need to. :)

imail724
12-09-2019, 03:41 PM
Really loving the new album. Totally different, more-subdued sound than the previous trilogy, but really beautiful stuff.

StockAvuryah
03-06-2020, 06:10 PM
Really loving the new album. Totally different, more-subdued sound than the previous trilogy, but really beautiful stuff.

It's great. More diverse, less focused on a huge monolithic sound, while The Hanging Man and Sunfucker are there for that kind of thing, and it really shines in the songwriting. I have to say at first I missed The Glowing Man approach, but you can't push further and further eternally, you gotta transcend that, too. Surprisingly, while more subdued, it feels unbalanced, it ends on a dissonant note, like the beauty can only last for a while and then you relapse.

Can't wait to see them this spring. Currently listening to the discography beginning to end.

edit : Oh and The Necks new album, Three, is great.

imail724
09-17-2020, 10:28 AM
Children Of God / Feel Good Now (Remastered 2020) - PRE ORDER (https://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/children-of-god-feel-good-now?fbclid=IwAR02oi8D56EDhgZMCzSLeT141tyYb8qVzVlo9 sgsvGGXJoYzQ0BcokoRjw4)

Findus
09-17-2020, 12:40 PM
While Where Does a Body End? is now available for digital rental/purchase, and the single disc Blu-ray and DVD standard sets are also available now, there's a Deluxe 2-disc Blu-ray set up for pre-order, due out September 25th. The film is 160 minutes, and the second disc contains 156 minutes of bonus material.

https://younggodrecords.com/collections/frontpage/products/swans-where-does-a-body-end-pre-order

On a side-note, Anna von Hausswolff's new album All Thoughts Fly is due out October 16th.
On another side-note, Ben Frost composed the music for Raised by Wolves, the sci-fi series on HBOmax.

eversonpoe
09-18-2020, 11:21 AM
On another side-note, Ben Frost composed the music for Raised by Wolves, the sci-fi series on HBOmax.

welp, now i'm definitely watching that show. also reminds me that i should put the "dark" score on my x-mas list...

fillow
04-19-2021, 02:35 PM
Meanwhile... this is from a month ago:

https://i.imgur.com/grOfRQT.jpg

I wonder if they'll still tour Leaving Meaning at all if by the end of the lockdown there's a whole new record?
Or will they just tour with all of this new stuff and develop arrangements on the road like they did with several post-reunion records?

imail724
09-29-2021, 03:05 PM
Gatefold version of SFTB finally announced. Shipping in November. (https://younggodrecords.com/products/soundtracks-2018?fbclid=IwAR0DjBIK5pnuRPaX0MY2oL4zHfSNhnIAFCuy n4UHLyONGrO2y6t9f8uQdcw)

Frozen Beach
09-29-2021, 03:24 PM
Trying to restrain myself because I'm running out of room.

imail724
09-30-2021, 09:28 AM
Trying to restrain myself because I'm running out of room.
Seems to be sold out already. I didn't see anything mentioning this being limited, so hopefully a restock isn't too far off for people who missed it.

imail724
01-06-2022, 10:20 AM
https://younggodrecords.com/products/is-there-really-a-mind

BRoswell
03-22-2023, 10:34 AM
Swans new album, The Beggar, will be released worldwide June 23, 2023 on Young God Records/Mute. Formats include 2X LP, 2CD, as well as download and stream.

“After numerous pandemic-induced cancellations of tours for the previous Swans album leaving meaning, and an apparent bottomless pit of waiting, waiting, waiting, and the strange disorientation that came with this sudden but interminable forced isolation I decided it was time to write songs for a new Swans album and forget about everything else. They came relatively easily, always informed by the suspicion that these could be my last. When I finally was able to travel, songs in hand, to Berlin to work with my friends recording this record, the feeling was akin to the moment in The Wizard of Oz when the film changes from Black and White to Color. Now I’m feeling quite optimistic. My favourite color is pink. I hope you enjoy the album!” – Michael Gira

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgtGHp2kfPQ