PDA

View Full Version : Negative enounters with Nine Inch Nails fans.

Joshua Lami
08-28-2013, 02:46 PM
I suppose this will be my first thread, as I just experienced one.

Have you had any negative encounters with NIN fans? I have found most of them to be cool. Most of my friends aren't big fans. Casual fans at most. However, today, no more than an hour ago, I had an encounter I will call negative.

I was on lunch for work, and I decide to hit Taco Bell. Doritos Locos taco with Lava sauce added. Can't beat it. It's a nice day, so my window is down, and I'm blasting Hesitation Marks to the fullest extent my factory speakers can handle, which, honestly ain't bad. A guy stops right in front of my car and says "Oh shit, is that the new Nails?"

"Oh, haha, yeah. Sure is."

The guy then starts doing air guitar and head banging in what might be the furthest distance he could possibly get from the rhythm of the song playing.

I stared blankly and drove away. I don't really even want my taco anymore.

Hazekiah
08-28-2013, 02:51 PM
I don't think YOU'RE the one who just had a negative experience with a NIN fan.

eversonpoe
08-28-2013, 02:52 PM
seriously? you're wasting a whole new thread on this? it's not like the guy was a jerk, or rude to you, or did anything unsavory. he was rocking out in his own way to new music, and he was excited about it.

how is any of that negative?

OSLIN
08-28-2013, 02:54 PM
@Joshua Lami (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3531)

You're an asshole. This is a joke.

Hope that's negative enough.

Khrz
08-28-2013, 02:56 PM

You're an asshole. This is a joke.

Hope that's negative enough.

*arythmic air guitar playing*

Paper Street
08-28-2013, 02:56 PM
About 1/3 of the people who show up at NIN shows in the midwestern US make me cringe in various ways.

People who immediately assume I am not a "real" fan because I wear a Cornhuskers t-shirt, baseball cap, and black shorts to a NIN show.

Sort of revelevent, I cannot tell you how many times someone has asked me what I think of the Johnny Cash version of Hurt.

Oh, and that guy all of us know who upon finding out about our NIN fandom they decide to "educate" us about how TR stole everything from the American industrial movement and sold out.

Joshua Lami
08-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Maybe you had to be there. It was a bit weird.

What do you mean waste a thread? Is there a limit or something?

howdidislipinto
Hahaha. To be fair, he DID tell a story about a negative encounter with a NIN fan, that delightful Taco Bell employee definitely just had one.

I think my most negative experience with NIN fans was with two girls who absolutely ruined the first HTDA show. Screaming for Trent, telling them to "open the screens" as if we weren't watching one of the best visual performance art shows of the year, and finally culminating with chants for them to play Terrible Lie. I'm shocked they got out of that show unmurdered.

chroipahtz
One time I met Trent Reznor and he smiled at me. Ugh. Noooo thank you. Some tormented soul YOU are, buddy. I flipped my hair over the other side of my head and went "tch" and walked away.

^ OP

TheRealNs1
About 1/3 of the people who show up at NIN shows in the midwestern US make me cringe in various ways.

People who immediately assume I am not a "real" fan because I wear a Cornhuskers t-shirt, baseball cap, and black shorts to a NIN show.

Sort of revelevent, I cannot tell you how many times someone has asked me what I think of the Johnny Cash version of Hurt.

Oh, and that guy all of us know who upon finding out about our NIN fandom they decide to "educate" us about how TR stole everything from the American industrial movement and sold out.

If I somehow win tix to this troubador show, my radio thank you message is going to be "OMFG THANK YOU! I hope they play that "f you like an animal" song and that johnny cash cover. That would be great!"

Amaro
08-28-2013, 03:00 PM
I accidentally facepalmed the OP as I'd barely started reading, and then I was all "Probably for the best."

eversonpoe
08-28-2013, 03:11 PM
Maybe you had to be there. It was a bit weird.

What do you mean waste a thread? Is there a limit or something?

i mean i think it's ridiculous that you bothered to post a whole thread about this (that's bullshit in the first place) instead of putting it in "random NIN thoughts" or something. there's no real deep discussion to be had here other than trying to understand your intent, which isn't going to last very long.

Joshua Lami
08-28-2013, 03:11 PM
I will agree on one thing, I am kind of an asshole.

chroipahtz
08-28-2013, 03:17 PM
Maybe you, uh, expressed it wrong. Do you think the guy was making fun of "Nails"? If I ran into someone in the wild who likes NIN, I would be pretty excited, regardless of how dopey that person may be.

DigitalChaos
08-28-2013, 03:22 PM
But who was taco?

Khrz
08-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Maybe you, uh, expressed it wrong. Do you think the guy was making fun of "Nails"? If I ran into someone in the wild who likes NIN, I would be pretty excited, regardless of how dopey that person may be.

Prooobably wouldn't. I mean, see how we fight among ourselves to define what NIN is and means ? Chances are, your shared interest for the same band is coincidental. What I mean is that fundamentally, you have no more reason to be excited by that guy than to be thrilled if someone's wearing blue just like you.
When I went to Rock En Seine I was pretty happy to see that cute girl wearing a NIN shirt in the subway. Then I arrived and realized, when I saw all the NIN shirts :"Fuck, that's right : we're a fucking army, each one a merc."

Joshua Lami
08-28-2013, 03:27 PM
I honestly was just caught off guard. I was literally about to turn it down and be like "if you're looking for it...." and he just started acting baffoonish. Also, I live in the south. There's a ton of people who hear the words Nine Inch Nails and immediately want to have a metal discussion with me. I guess I just thought we were about to have some kind of mildly engaging discussion and he went all Bill and Ted on me. The only logical conclusion was to leave.

But I fully get if everyone hates me. I relate to Larry David on so many levels. I have a way of pissing off both sides of the spectrum, so at this point I'm not offended. I'll just take my asshole stamp and walk away.

TheRealNs1
08-28-2013, 03:34 PM
I'll just take my asshole stamp and walk away.

that's the spirit :thumbsup;

Leviathant
08-28-2013, 03:34 PM
Hmmm. Negative encounters with Nine Inch Nails fans, eh? Let me count the ways (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/).

<3

pukkelpop
08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
I suppose this will be my first thread, as I just experienced one.

Have you had any negative encounters with NIN fans? I have found most of them to be cool. Most of my friends aren't big fans. Casual fans at most. However, today, no more than an hour ago, I had an encounter I will call negative.

I was on lunch for work, and I decide to hit Taco Bell. Doritos Locos taco with Lava sauce added. Can't beat it. It's a nice day, so my window is down, and I'm blasting Hesitation Marks to the fullest extent my factory speakers can handle, which, honestly ain't bad. A guy stops right in front of my car and says "Oh shit, is that the new Nails?"

"Oh, haha, yeah. Sure is."

The guy then starts doing air guitar and head banging in what might be the furthest distance he could possibly get from the rhythm of the song playing.

I stared blankly and drove away. I don't really even want my taco anymore.

haha, thats basically the negative experience i had at Pukkelpop. and i was that enthousiastic guy without rythm...nice to see the view from the otherside

OSLIN
08-28-2013, 03:39 PM
Hmmm. Negative encounters with Nine Inch Nails fans, eh? Let me count the ways (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/).

<3

ONE

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u344/joslinin/download1_zps4d0aedd1.jpg (http://s518.photobucket.com/user/joslinin/media/download1_zps4d0aedd1.jpg.html)

Sorry, couldn't resist.

chroipahtz
08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
Prooobably wouldn't. I mean, see how we fight among ourselves to define what NIN is and means ? Chances are, your shared interest for the same band is coincidental. What I mean is that fundamentally, you have no more reason to be excited by that guy than to be thrilled if someone's wearing blue just like you.
When I went to Rock En Seine I was pretty happy to see that cute girl wearing a NIN shirt in the subway. Then I arrived and realized, when I saw all the NIN shirts :"Fuck, that's right : we're a fucking army, each one a merc."
Nah, whatever. I don't care if his/her only exposure was Closer, or if they think Broken is the pinnacle of the catalog, or if they thought With Teeth was the only album that was worth a damn. It's still a cool, semi-rare thing these days.

DigitalChaos
08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
I honestly was just caught off guard. I was literally about to turn it down and be like "if you're looking for it...." and he just started acting baffoonish. Also, I live in the south. There's a ton of people who hear the words Nine Inch Nails and immediately want to have a metal discussion with me. I guess I just thought we were about to have some kind of mildly engaging discussion and he went all Bill and Ted on me. The only logical conclusion was to leave.

But I fully get if everyone hates me. I relate to Larry David on so many levels. I have a way of pissing off both sides of the spectrum, so at this point I'm not offended. I'll just take my asshole stamp and walk away.
shit happens man
once, someone facepalmed my post

pukkelpop
08-28-2013, 03:45 PM
i think i can get the picture though.. and i see what u mean. you brought it in a way that you seem the douchebag, and not the other way around. too funny not to facepalm ;-) and OT: i had more bad than good. one angsty bold hermaphrodite bodybuilder outside a gay sexclub (didnt know, it was next to a rock bar) in Berlin who totally freaked out on me after i thumbed up his NIN shirt, wins it for me here.

chroipahtz
08-28-2013, 03:47 PM
once, someone facepalmed my post
Damn, dude. You ok? I'll be thinking about you.

ltrandazzo
08-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Hmmm...

Nah. I won't tell that story.

Khrz
08-28-2013, 03:49 PM
Aww come on, you looked old enough back then ! Seriously, so much drama after all those years ? Grow up !

sheepdean
08-28-2013, 03:59 PM
Hey remember that time Trent wrote Black Bomb

DigitalChaos
08-28-2013, 04:10 PM
GIVE ME MORE
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/38252858.jpg

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/thanks.php

marodi
08-28-2013, 04:38 PM
"Oh shit, is that the new Nails?"

See, that's the real reason that guy was an asshole. No true fan calls the band "nails".

/sarcasim

tremolo
08-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I've only had good experiences with NIN fans, at shows and just out on the street.

A few years ago I went to Pride wearing a NIN t-shirt from the LITS tour and a few people came up to me to say hello and talk about how amazing that tour was.

Joshua Lami
08-28-2013, 04:53 PM
See, that's the real reason that guy was an asshole. No true fan calls the band "nails".

/sarcasim

I agree. That always rubbed me the wrong way.

Millionaire
08-28-2013, 05:05 PM
Face to face? Never.

On the internet? Ummm, once or twice.

NINisamazing
08-28-2013, 05:10 PM
At a show some guy told me how awesome ghosts was (I was wearing the shirt, just purchased it). He was talking during the show and during a song from that record. It was pretty annoying, because I was trying to listen. That's my only story.

Kyle
08-28-2013, 05:16 PM
At one of the shows I was at on the fragility tour I had some cheap seats and ended up next to some girls who sat there most of the show until they started screaming when Closer played. I'm not sure they qualify as NIN fans though so I guess only on the Internet.

ethan829
08-28-2013, 05:26 PM
You would think tickets being $100+ would discourage any casual listeners or non-fans, but there always seem to be plenty of wasted frat boys who are just there to drink, yell, and push too much.

eversonpoe
08-28-2013, 05:26 PM

/sarcasim

i was actually 100% going to post in the controversial opinions thread today that i DESPISE IT when people just say "nails" instead of nine inch nails. i also don't like it when people say "NIN" as a word.

DigitalChaos
08-28-2013, 05:34 PM
i also don't like it when people say "NIN" as a word.
It's better than people who say it EHN EYE EHN

Wretchedest
08-28-2013, 05:50 PM
in the interest of salvaging this thing...

all my encounters have been at shows. At lights in the sky there was the trademark guy who yells during every quieter song. Really upsetting because they played one of my favorite Ghosts tracks.... he particularly obnoxious because he kept chest poking everyone around them and getting in there face. he eventually got arrested AFTER the show for harassing people. Still, the experience colors my memories of my stint at lights in the sky, unfortunately.

Also, at the Wave Goodbye show in LA, they played the downward spiral front to back, but there was this girl next to me singing SO BADLY and swinging around and bumping into people. When she didn't know the lyrics she just screamed over the damn thing. and she did this after I asked her nicely to stop, or at least to keep it down. Ultimately that didn't ruin the experience because we tried to find another spot in the crowd and it was the whole goddamn downward spiral... i was too stoked.

i was actually 100% going to post in the controversial opinions thread today that i DESPISE IT when people just say "nails" instead of nine inch nails. i also don't like it when people say "NIN" as a word.

Unfortunately, I am both of these people.

allegro
08-28-2013, 06:02 PM
At the Spiral Members Only show at Cabazone or whatever the fuck it was, in California, in this fairly small Key Club, these two frat bros in front of us looked at each other and said (just as NIN was about to hit the stage) "Okay, as soon as Trent gets on stage, we go up there and beat the fuck out of people."

Um, yeah. Great. I think I have a manicure appointment I forgot.

Amaro
08-28-2013, 06:06 PM
At the Spiral Members Only show at Cabazone or whatever the fuck it was, in California, in this fairly small Key Club, these two frat bros in front of us looked at each other and said (just as NIN was about to hit the stage) "Okay, as soon as Trent gets on stage, we go up there and beat the fuck out of people."

If I'm not mistaken, @Wretchedest (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=107) was at that show, on the rail at least near the end of the show (because I recall he caught some significant piece of NIN gear, possibly a guitar). Maybe he can shed some light on anything like that. lol

screwdriver
08-28-2013, 06:09 PM
You would think tickets being $100+ would keep discourage any casual listeners or non-fans, but there always seem to be plenty of wasted frat boys who are just there to drink, yell, and push too much.

bros wanna march like pigs too, dude

for the record, I say "nin" all the time and refer to my fellow nin fans as "ninnies," cause why not

allegro
08-28-2013, 06:09 PM
If I'm not mistaken, @Wretchedest (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=107) was at that show, on the rail at least near the end of the show (because I recall he caught some significant piece of NIN gear, possibly a guitar). Maybe he can shed some light on anything like that. lol

haha, at the show in Chicago in Tinley Park (the Peter Murphy and canceled Q101 show), there were a couple of big douche bags in front with us, and eventually a bunch of us got really tired of them trying to shove their way into the front of us when they got there so late, so we all kind of formed this posse and joined arms and revolted against them. That was more fun than the show, actually. We bonded.

tw3rbz
08-28-2013, 06:32 PM
Cool thread.
I grew up in the midwest and I actually saw quite a few nin fans around, anytime I would see a nin shirt I would make a clear "fuck yea Nine Inch Nails" statement, sometimes rather obnoxious in public, And never once have I met a truly negative NIN fan.

ThinkIcouldburn
08-28-2013, 06:37 PM
You didn't want that delicious taco anymore. That's what I find wrong with this.

spitefulscorpio
08-28-2013, 06:51 PM
In 2005, I paid $600 for two tickets to The Tabernacle in Atlanta, GA and drive 8 hours from Florida. During the third song in the setlist, two stupid drunk girls started grinding on me and got a lollipop stuck in my hair. I was fucking livid! It was my first time seeing NIN, too. My second experience was much better though and my third time is coming up Halloween.

thefragile_jake
08-28-2013, 06:52 PM

That reminds me of the time I saw Nine Inch Nails in St. Louis during the Lights in the Sky tour there were these really hoosier looking dudes in front of me that were really into the show but showed their support by flipping their middle finger up in the air. Their arms blocked me very now and then....but I was more confused at what they were flipping off and why.

Guess it was a "OH YEAH BRO, FUCK THE WORLD. 'TERRIBLE LIE' MAN! '24 GHOSTS IV DUDE!"

....not really an encounter so to say, but a really strange observation.

Louie_Cypher
08-28-2013, 07:09 PM
This one time at band camp, I saw a guy with with a NIN shirt on. I said " You like NIN". He punched me me in the face and called me cunt.
I was hurt.

Krazy
08-28-2013, 07:34 PM
I see the issue here.

Taco Bell for lunch, at work. You shouldn't be drinking on the job man.

_minus
08-28-2013, 07:57 PM
So I was at work and this guy pulls up to the window blasting Hesitation Marks. I had to confirm due to sheer incredulity of meeting on of us pigs in the wild. Anyways, I get on here and see a thread has been made about me.

goingincirclez
08-28-2013, 08:48 PM
I see the issue here.

Taco Bell for lunch, at work. You shouldn't be drinking on the job man.

http://www.goingincirclez.com/Kaleid/Albums/NIN/Opinion.jpg

Krazy
08-28-2013, 08:56 PM
Taco Bell should have a breathalyzer/drug test. If you're sober you shouldn't be able to order.

I think I made a new jingle with "If you not soba!... You can't ordaa!!!"

Sesquipedalism
08-28-2013, 09:21 PM

I do a lot of annoying things in writing where the internet is concerned. I never leave album titles as acronyms; I don't use netspeak even when it'd be way more appropriate; I post walls of text that, on mobile devices, look like you're trying to read the bloody matrix. But those are just quirks people here have gotten used to or will have to get used to. Hell, I once returned a cell phone because it didn't have a typeable semicolon; I work in food service and, when I send messages to the kitchen, I use commas and apostrophes. I'm rather compulsive (but not terribly concerned that others aren't all doing the exact same thing). Only recently have I cracked and given into the occasional abbreviation of Echoing the Sound as "ETS," and Nine Inch Nails as "NIN." But a coworker said "NIN" the other day and I almost shat myself. I thought it was just another odd eccentricity of mine that I hated that. But apparently there are more of us.

[sniffle]

So, this ​is what it feels like when doves cry...

Sesquipedalism
08-28-2013, 09:24 PM
It's better than people who say it EHN EYE EHN

Who in the bright blue fucking world does that‽ Earnestly‽ I think I'd have to take a Xanax. That's as bad as when frat boys point at my sleeves and say, "Bitchin' tats, bra. Show me some love!" and then after a very reluctant fistbump, they do that "make it explode" thing.

DigitalChaos
08-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Who in the bright blue fucking world does that‽ Earnestly‽ I think I'd have to take a Xanax. That's as bad as when frat boys point at my sleeves and say, "Bitchin' tats, bra. Show me some love!" and then after a very reluctant fistbump, they do that "make it explode" thing.

A guy who works for me. I almost fired him for it. The fact that he built his own synth gave him a pass though.

Also, I frequently say "nin"

redshoewearer
08-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Joshua Lami don't leave so soon. It will all be okay.

I can't say I have had any negative encounters - I enjoy NIN fans more than those of any other band that I like. I have met a few people on here, and I find people here to be smarter and nicer than people on other boards.

The person who mentioned seeing people in NIN shirts on the subway - here's my story - we didn't know which train to take in Toronto over to the Molson amphitheater in 06, and we got to the station with less than 5 minutes to spare, so we looked around (I was with my kid), and I told her follow THEM (all the other folks in black) and we ended up on the right train.

Edit - Yeah I say nin too.

Sesquipedalism
08-28-2013, 09:42 PM
Edit - Yeah I say nin too.

Perhaps it should be mentioned that it's not like I think y'all are bad people or anything, it's just that I don't like hearing it. For example, some people I think cannot stand that I say "y'all," but I don't think it's like to the point where any of them want to sock me in the jaw or anything.

howdidislipinto
08-28-2013, 09:43 PM
Though people saying "nin" never annoyed me, I do remember being really surprised years back when Trent said "nin dot com" in a video. I think at the time it never even occurred to me to say it as a word.

kel
08-28-2013, 09:46 PM
every show i've ever been to has had several. if it's not the skanky groupies or the beer-spilling fat guy, it's the b.o. coming from all angles, but huge emphasis on the tripp pants-wearing dirty goth kids.

suck it up. happens with any demo.

Ryan
08-28-2013, 09:56 PM
NINININININININinininininin

Butterscotch
08-28-2013, 09:57 PM
I'm in with the nin crowd.

Tyson
08-28-2013, 10:10 PM
revelevent

Saying this the way you spelled it makes me laugh.

Sesquipedalism
08-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Off-Topic (or on-topic, as this is the exact opposite of a negative experience of another Nine Inch Nails fan):

I refuse to believe it's some sort of really, really odd coincidence that your custom title is Euler's Number, @redshoewearer (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/166-redshoewearer). That's awesome.

redshoewearer
08-28-2013, 10:21 PM
Off-Topic (or on-topic, as this is the exact opposite of a negative experience of another Nine Inch Nails fan):

I refuse to believe it's some sort of really, really odd coincidence that your custom title is Euler's Number, @redshoewearer (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/166-redshoewearer). That's awesome.

I think it is on topic - we all are talking experiences with other NIN fans. Yes it is not a coincidence. I'm working on an M.S. in math on the side and I ponder on (e^(i*pi))+1=0 at least once a day....

Wretchedest
08-29-2013, 12:05 AM

Hmmm unfortunately it seems time has played a game of telephone with my story and made it more awesome.

I actually never got to any of the spiral exclusive shows, but I did use the spiral line at an arena show in Fresno, of all places. I managed to score some swag from the rail at the end, but it was a guitar PICK and an autograph from Rob Sheridan on my ticket. Is this significant, well I like that stuff, but it wasn't a guitar! Ha! Your version of my life is definitely better though. An alternate reality Freddy absolutely cherishes that guitar.

Both awesome but not guitar level stuff. And the Fresno show went down rather peacefully. Some guy did continuously try to get me to crowd surf, but I think that he thought that I REALLY wanted to, when I REALY did not.

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 12:11 AM
Hmmm unfortunately it seems time has played a game of telephone with my story and made it more awesome.

I actually never got to any of the spiral exclusive shows, but I did use the spiral line at an arena show in Fresno, of all places. I managed to score some swag from the rail at the end, but it was a guitar PICK and an autograph from Rob Sheridan on my ticket. Is this significant, well I like that stuff, but it wasn't a guitar! Ha! Your version of my life is definitely better though. An alternate reality Freddy absolutely cherishes that guitar.

Both awesome but not guitar level stuff. And the Fresno show went down rather peacefully. Some guy did continuously try to get me to crowd surf, but I think that he thought that I REALLY wanted to, when I REALY did not.

dude, your new subtitle is so perfect...

Amaro
08-29-2013, 12:12 AM

You must not have ever had lots of curly dirty blonde hair then...

lol My mind is failing me, struggling to come up with answers.

I rememer clearly seeing what I think was an official post-show (or during HLAH) video of the people on the rail at Cabazon and there...you were, flailing your prized item. Somebody help me.

DigitalChaos
08-29-2013, 12:14 AM
Though people saying "nin" never annoyed me, I do remember being really surprised years back when Trent said "nin dot com" in a video. I think at the time it never even occurred to me to say it as a word.
Atticus called it "nails" in a recent Spin article http://www.spin.com/featured/trent-reznor-upward-spiral-nine-inch-nails-spin-cover-september-2013/

howdidislipinto
08-29-2013, 12:15 AM
I'm working on an M.S. in math on the side and I ponder on (e^(i*pi))+1=0 at least once a day....

My most negative fan experience was with @redshoewearer (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=166) when this post of theirs made me feel dumb as rocks. :(

Wretchedest
08-29-2013, 12:16 AM
You must not have ever had lots of curly dirty blonde hair then...

I specifically have lots of curly dirty blonde hair!

Amaro
08-29-2013, 12:20 AM
I specifically have lots of curly dirty blonde hair!

Okay. I got that right.

And you looked like a mess in a damn official NIN video, on the rail. Without a guitar. Fact.

Wretchedest
08-29-2013, 12:22 AM
Okay. I got that right.

And you looked like a mess in a damn official NIN video, on the rail. Without a guitar. Fact.

Which one? Link?

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Atticus called it "nails" in a recent Spin article http://www.spin.com/featured/trent-reznor-upward-spiral-nine-inch-nails-spin-cover-september-2013/

i know. i cringed so hard my collarbone literally popped. (i am not joking)

Amaro
08-29-2013, 12:25 AM
Which one? Link?

I don't have it...but we'll find it. Had to be 2005 or 2006, thinking 2006.

Where's the archive? I gotta go to sleep.

Fred
08-29-2013, 01:46 AM
I can't think of any negative real-life encounters, but there are a few assholes in here. I spot none in this thread that I've had gripes with, but something that still makes me grind my teeth is how everyone started using the word "disappointed" once the song of the same name had debuted:

"why did teh audience not film this?!?!?!?!?! you know im... DISAPPOINTED!"

"i hope teh album isnt gonna sound like CBH. id be... DISAPPOINTED!"

"man reading treated TR like SHIT. i guess hes... DISAPPOINTED!"

Yes, we get it. You made teh funny. Now shut the fuck up and have your mom change your diaper.

Khrz
08-29-2013, 01:50 AM
Yes, we get it. You made teh funny. Now shut the fuck up and have your mom change your diaper.

Oooooh... BURN !

...like "burn"... The song....

no ?

Guess you're not a true fan. Brahs always bump fists when I do this, then we make explosion sounds and pretend we're playing guitar. T'sawesome.

Joshua Lami
08-29-2013, 02:12 AM
Wow, this thread is still alive.

Seriously folks. I love NIN. I have crippling depression and NIN helped me through some rough times. I'm not gonna go all stereotypical and say they saved my life. But they gave me a lot to relate to for many years, and they still do. There are few people on the planet who like NIN more than I do. I'm a big fan.

But I'm also nearly 30. I suppose playing air guitar and head banging in a parking lot seems a tad silly to me. But I'm not making excuses. If you think I'm an asshole, hey, I guess it is what it is. Either rationally discuss art with me, or fuck off. Don't act like a child.

Tacos are delicious.

slave2thewage
08-29-2013, 03:08 AM
Too many by this point. Too many by far.

millhouse
08-29-2013, 03:20 AM
Melbourne Australia Metro Show #1 (2007?)

Meth'd up shirtless dude who looked like Nick Oliveri choking out a kid on the barrier, while yelling "gimme the rail!".

Scary. Fucking. Shit.

mostlymad
08-29-2013, 04:08 AM
There is a certain person in my history who was once a huge NIN fan, too. At the time of our divorce, suddenly he couldn't stand them anymore. Now, he has to make digs at any new song that I like. I suppose if he had a better reasoning than "there are no live drums" I would be okay - but most of his favorite bands never even used live drums, ever. It's like liking them would somehow validate his past with me, or something...

elevenism
08-29-2013, 05:15 AM
I'll tell you about a negative encounter. When i went to LITS, and 10,000 fratboys and girls filed in, took their seats, remained seated and applauded politely.
Now when i was 14 and going to the TDS shows, an NIN crowd was fucking DANGEROUS. You could feel the anger, the intensity, the apprehension in the air. The audience was a sea of black clothes and metal jewelry and hormones.

I guess it doesn't HAVE to be a negative thing, it just kinda made me sad. And maybe it's just that those of us who were 13 or 14 when tds came out are finally REALLY growing up.

sorry for joining in clowning on you, @Joshua Lami (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3531), but it was just too damn funny.

P.S.

I call it Nails quite a bit. Ive been listening to "Nails" for 21 fucking years, and my first and most recent shows span that length of time. Im PRETTY sure im a "real fan."
Just out of curiosity, what do REAL fans say when they dont wanna say Nine Inch Nails (the entire phrase, over and over) in a long discussion about Nine Inch Nails? ; )

MrsMeowMeow
08-29-2013, 06:33 AM
On my first NIN concert there were 2 annoying girls that tried to kinda push me out of the first row before the concert began, which they failed at. Other than that I had no negative encounter irl.

But I've 'met' quite a bunch of creeps and annoying NIN fans online, assuming that you are a NIN fan when you register on forums. I got lots of creepy pms (not here.....yet), usually from people that don't post anything.

Also everytime Mr. Reznor releases something it seems to me that some people divide into 2 groups:

group 1 idealizes NIN a bit too much and loves every stone TR ever stepped on, they also often use phrases like "fuck the haters" and "get a life"... (I have a personal problem with both phrases)
group 2 misses the "good old days" and dislikes everything that is not TF or TDS, the most insane say things like "TR was better when he was on drugs/unhappy/unmarried/had no oscar now he sucks" we've all seen them ^^

I'm neither of these, I can't be black or white and I try to stay away as much as possible from certain places in times like these, because its impossible to discuss things with both of these types, they take everything way too serious.

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 08:13 AM
I'll tell you about a negative encounter. When i went to LITS, and 10,000 fratboys and girls filed in, took their seats, remained seated and applauded politely.

P.S.

I call it Nails quite a bit. Ive been listening to "Nails" for 21 fucking years, and my first and most recent shows span that length of time. Im PRETTY sure im a "real fan."
Just out of curiosity, what do REAL fans say when they dont wanna say Nine Inch Nails (the entire phrase, over and over) in a long discussion about Nine Inch Nails? ; )

1. that sounds weird in terms of atmosphere, but also kind of nice in terms of being able to really watch/listen. i'd rather have them applauding politely than being drunk assholes and ruining my experience of the show...but i'm also someone who has been sitting down at concerts since i was 19, because i'd rather be able to hear the music and not get kicked in the face.

2. like in a conversation wherein you're referring to a person repeatedly and you would switch to a pronoun (him, her, etc.), i generally switch to "the band" as i've already established which band is being discussed. :: shrug ::

elevenism
08-29-2013, 08:44 AM
1. True, you have a point.

2. I was pretty much fucking around on that one. But i do call them 'nails quite a bit.

elevenism
08-29-2013, 08:49 AM
group 2 misses the "good old days" and dislikes everything that is not TF or TDS, the most insane say things like "TR was better when he was on drugs/unhappy/unmarried/had no oscar now he sucks" we've all seen them ^^

Now THAT shit drives me crazy too. people who say "i want trent to look like he's about to fall over and die! he kicked ass then!"
Such a vile thing to say about a human being...especially a musician you enjoy. you WANT him to be sick and unhappy?

I'm afraid i lean towards group one a tiny bit, but have never used those phrases. I AM a fanboy, though. I didn't like ghosts a WHOLE lot...that should count for something.
But yeah, i'd probably get excited about a recording of trent tapping a pencil on his desk, i must admit. ; )

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 09:06 AM
Is this still a fucking thread?

cheeseprocedure
08-29-2013, 09:11 AM
I had no clue saying Nails pissed people off... I've been a hard core fan since The Downward Spiral and use it all the time. People being pissed off about it isn't really going to help me break the habit but it has been noted. I guess I've never really thought about it being a "thing of annoyance" before. Looks like I have a good conversation topic while waiting in the will call line now.

spitefulscorpio
08-29-2013, 11:13 AM
There is a certain person in my history who was once a huge NIN fan, too. At the time of our divorce, suddenly he couldn't stand them anymore. Now, he has to make digs at any new song that I like. I suppose if he had a better reasoning than "there are no live drums" I would be okay - but most of his favorite bands never even used live drums, ever. It's like liking them would somehow validate his past with me, or something...

My husband won't even give NIN a chance because my ex and I listened to NIN together and my oldest daughter was conceived the night of a concert. I know he would really like it. He just associates NIN with my past I guess. Too bad, because NIN is my present as well. Even though we have been together 5 years and have gone on to have two more kids together. I'm dragging him to see NIN on Halloween, it will be his first experience. I'm hoping to make some progress!

frankie teardrop
08-29-2013, 11:21 AM
But who was taco?

Taco Ockerse (born July 21, 1955), better known by his stage name Taco, is an Indonesian-born Dutch singerand entertainer who started his career in Germany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY

anyway, some "fun" line experiences over the years.

Lastentrance
08-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys!

Scarlet Siren
08-29-2013, 11:49 AM
Everyone I've met from ETS over the past week and a bit has been bloody lovely! I've really enjoyed chatting, hanging out and seeing shows with these guys and hope our paths will cross again!

However, home of the people I've met in line sure love to talk about themselves and the 40,80, 100 shows they've been to. Really, it really wouldn't hurt for a fucking minute for them to not talk about themselves and engage with the person they're talking to. But then again, perhaps I'm not that interesting for not being to so many shows...

Digital Twilight
08-29-2013, 11:55 AM
However, home of the people I've met in line sure love to talk about themselves and the 40,80, 100 shows they've been to. Really, it really wouldn't hurt for a fucking minute for them to not talk about themselves and engage with the person they're talking to. But then again, perhaps I'm not that interesting for not being to so many shows...

As a huge Pearl Jam fan I know EXACTLY what you mean. Fandom creates some strange beasts believe me.

Butterscotch
08-29-2013, 12:03 PM
Is this still a fucking thread?

No, but this is: http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/78-The-Fucking-Thread

Scarlet Siren
08-29-2013, 12:04 PM
As a huge Pearl Jam fan I know EXACTLY what you mean. Fandom creates some strange beasts believe me.

The thing is, I love hearing about it, I honestly do, I think it's interesting really , I'll ask questions about it but I'm not in to one sided conversations tbh. Not sure if its the way I was raised but when I meet someone new, I like to get to know them rather then talk about myself ...

I've seen it happen in some communities and in others not so much but I've got to say, from what I've encountered over the past week, NIN has been pretty bad in terms of show count bragging.

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 12:11 PM
No, but this is: http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/78-The-Fucking-Thread

MMMmmmmmm... thank you!

You're still an asshole ;)

Butterscotch
08-29-2013, 12:13 PM
MMMmmmmmm... thank you!

You're still an asshole ;)

Assholes can be fun.

OSLIN
08-29-2013, 12:25 PM
Assholes can be fun.

You would know, I've seen your post in the Fucking thread.

Butterscotch
08-29-2013, 12:51 PM
You would know, I've seen your post in the Fucking thread.

I plead the 5th.

elevenism
08-29-2013, 03:40 PM
I don't know what to think about people who go to see bands 40 or 50 or 100 times by following them.
i guess for me, it would be kind of crazy. i know some people here on ets do that sort of thing, so please don't take offense.
for me, catching NAILS twice per tour in dallas was pretty fucking awesome. Good enough for me.
I've seen LOTS of bands multiple times...tool, primus, rush, ozzy (yes, ozzy-i was young,) Pearl Jam, Type O Negative, Rasputina, Page and Plant...bands that i adored in the days of the $20 dollar ticket and $20 dollar t-shirt.

Now i just go see NIN. I wouldn't pay $200 to see jesus christ and his all star band.
My question is, how in the hell do you guys AFFORD to go see a band 100 times? the travel, the time off work...

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
i've seen rasputina a few times, and they're always amazing!

allegro
08-29-2013, 03:58 PM
bands that i adored in the days of the $20 dollar ticket and $20 dollar t-shirt.
I saw Alice Cooper's Billion Dollar Babies tour and the ticket cost $4.50

Yeah, you read that right.

Oh, and I saw Led Zeppelin for $8.50 (in 1977).

In 2005, I had a lot more time on my hands and was a full time student and my husband loves Nine Inch Nails, too, so he went with me to some shows and I went to a few in Detroit and Canada with a friend and I think altogether it was, like, 18 shows. But the tickets were fairly cheap via the Spiral. And I only had lodging when I flew to California a few times and those shows in Canada, otherwise they were close enough to my house to drive to the show and then drive home after the show. It was kinda fun, like "Allegro On Tour," but then it got really old.

But, I'd DELIBERATELY get to a show just before the 1st band when on, I never got there so early to mess with that whole "rail" thing and, oddly enough, I ended up 2nd or 3rd from the rail at a lot of shows, and it was relaxed and I never stood in ONE god damned line, so I didn't have to deal with the DRAMA I heard about in those Spiral lines. *eyeroll*

"BRANDY MADE US PUT SHARPIE NUMBERS ON OUR HANDS, WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA"

Scarlet Siren
08-29-2013, 04:15 PM
I just want to clarify that my issue is not people going to see so many shows, I've done it myself with another artist. I know it takes effort, hard work and cutback for most to do it (I've been there, I earn a respectable wage I'm not made of money, ha!). I don't want to cause offence or for anyone to justify themselves :) please don't go out your way, it's not necessary.

The issue issue is when the conversation tails off/stops when you're not talking about them, their experiences and the above! LOL! It's like 'um ok... So there's nothing you'd like to ask me? Or know a about me? I didn't realise this was all about YOU!' Thankfully I have no problem finding other people in line/at the rail to have some good banter with, I'll move on so yeah, 'bye!'

I dunno... Maybe I find good chat in the line or at the rail all part of the experience ;) I'm the type that'll strike up a friendly conversation at a bus stop whilst waiting for the bus, I guess that's my nature.

mostlymad
08-29-2013, 04:16 PM
My husband won't even give NIN a chance because my ex and I listened to NIN together and my oldest daughter was conceived the night of a concert. I know he would really like it. He just associates NIN with my past I guess. Too bad, because NIN is my present as well. Even though we have been together 5 years and have gone on to have two more kids together. I'm dragging him to see NIN on Halloween, it will be his first experience. I'm hoping to make some progress!

How odd. Do you listen while he's there, or does it have to be when he's not around? (Luckily The Cure has been quiet, so I don't get a lot of digs at them. Just NIN, so far.) Weird how music can be a deal breaker.

huntermc
08-29-2013, 04:29 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e263/huntermc/fan2_zpsc870321f.jpg

m15a
08-29-2013, 04:30 PM
The issue issue is when the conversation tails off/stops when you're not talking about them, their experiences and the above! LOL! It's like 'um ok... So there's nothing you'd like to ask me? Or know a about me? I didn't realise this was all about YOU!' Thankfully I have no problem finding other people in line/at the rail to have some good banter with, I'll move on so yeah, 'bye!'

I dunno... Maybe I find good chat in the line or at the rail all part of the experience ;) I'm the type that'll strike up a friendly conversation at a bus stop whilst waiting for the bus, I guess that's my nature.

are you sure you're not just encountering shy people? or people that just don't feel like talking. (not being critical. just another way of looking at the situation.)

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 04:41 PM
are you sure you're not just encountering shy people? or people that just don't feel like talking. (not being critical. just another way of looking at the situation.)

what she's saying is that she ends up talking to people who literally just sit there and talk about themselves without stopping to ask her any questions about herself or let her comment on anything they're "discussing."

m15a
08-29-2013, 05:00 PM
sometimes it's easier to answer questions about yourself than to know what questions to ask someone and when to ask. not saying that's necessarily the case here. obviously, there are some people that just like to talk about themselves. just that sometimes being shy could be confused for being self-centered.

pigpen
08-29-2013, 05:11 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e263/huntermc/fan2_zpsc870321f.jpg

I actually know this guy, and he's pretty much the last dude in the world that would say "Play that fuck you like an animal song"..

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 05:14 PM
I actually know this guy, and he's pretty much the last dude in the world that would say "Play that fuck you like an animal song"..

he looks like a really angry big pete (from pete & pete)

richardp
08-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Well at the HTDA show in Chicago everyone in the preorder line pretty much started a party when DIIV announced they weren't playing and that left a really bad taste in my mouth. But the lines for Wave Goodbye in '09, LITS, NINJA and With Teeth were all full of great fuckin people. There's some bad eggs out there but a vast majority of you guys are swell ass people.

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Well at the HTDA show in Chicago everyone in the preorder line pretty much started a party when DIIV announced they weren't playing and that left a really bad taste in my mouth. But the lines for Wave Goodbye in '09, LITS, NINJA and With Teeth were all full of great fuckin people. There's some bad eggs out there but a vast majority of you guys are swell ass people.

i was pretty bummed that DIIV didn't play, as i was quite looking forward to seeing them. also, i wish i had actually met some ETS folks at the show (other than recognizing hazekaiah while he was filming).

Sesquipedalism
08-29-2013, 07:17 PM
i was pretty bummed that DIIV didn't play, as i was quite looking forward to seeing them.

If you feel consoled by such knowledge, I'm a big fan of the shoegaze/dreampop/lo-fi aesthetic, I bought Oshin, knew the album reasonably well before the show, I enjoyed the album, and live, with two exceptions, it all sounded pretty much like the same song over and over. It wasn't bad, but...I have no way to finish that sentence. Oddly, Mew might take the cake as best Trent-related opener I've seen (A Perfect Circle in 2000, Peaches in 2006, Nicholas Megalis in 2008, and Street Sweeper Social Club & Mew in 2009).

(Exceptions: "How Long Have You Known?" and the something "new" they played).

spitefulscorpio
08-29-2013, 07:41 PM
How odd. Do you listen while he's there, or does it have to be when he's not around? (Luckily The Cure has been quiet, so I don't get a lot of digs at them. Just NIN, so far.) Weird how music can be a deal breaker.

Love The Cure, that is good!

I listen to NIN when the husband is around, and I also talk about it nonstop until he goes insane! When I do listen to NIN, he makes comments to try to get under my skin. The thing is that I know he would like TDS for sure and I'm pretty sure he already likes what he's heard from me because he never asks me to turn it off.

vessel
08-29-2013, 08:16 PM
That reminds me of the time I saw Nine Inch Nails in St. Louis during the Lights in the Sky tour there were these really hoosier looking dudes in front of me that were really into the show but showed their support by flipping their middle finger up in the air. Their arms blocked me very now and then....but I was more confused at what they were flipping off and why.

Guess it was a "OH YEAH BRO, FUCK THE WORLD. 'TERRIBLE LIE' MAN! '24 GHOSTS IV DUDE!"

....not really an encounter so to say, but a really strange observation.

OH MY GOD. i was at that show. i remember those two. i was a few seats over from them. i think one of them put their plastic beer cup in the back pocket of his jeans. they would yell the name of every song except for the instrumentals. they'd never heard those...i may or may not have been the one that yelled '24 ghosts iv dude!' sarcastically at them though. i figured they'd get the point.

richardp
08-29-2013, 09:05 PM
i was pretty bummed that DIIV didn't play, as i was quite looking forward to seeing them. also, i wish i had actually met some ETS folks at the show (other than recognizing hazekaiah while he was filming).

Oh wait no this totally reminds me of another bad experience I had at that show. There was this lady who was like the first person in the pre-sale line or whatever, and she was literally holding a spot for herself on the rail and a second spot on the first raised section, next to where I was standing, holding that spot for two people in the general line. And her way of holding this spot was by setting a poster tube on the ground. Any time a person would stand in that spot she'd run over and chastize them for "trying to steal her spot" even though her OTHER spot was like fucking 30-40 feet away on the barricade. It was INCREDIBLY fucking rude and selfish. I always wondered if she was an ETSer.

slopesandsam
08-29-2013, 09:43 PM
My negative experiences with other NIN fans are generally not ones that make me think less of other fans. Mainly because talking about NIN with other people has generally made me realise that other people don't appreciate NIN in the same way, or for the same reasons that I do. For me, listening to NIN has always been something that I do alone, in private. Finding out that other people prefer going to concerts than listening to the albums, or they like to get high and listen, or they like NIN to be playing while they fuck, always makes me think "No, stop it, you're doing it wrong!"

Which is my hang up, and nothing to do with them. People can appreciate music any which way they want to.

Travis Lawler
08-29-2013, 11:26 PM
:confused::confused:

eversonpoe
08-29-2013, 11:44 PM
:confused::confused:

donate to the board, earn the right. :D

courtney's beaten arse
04-17-2014, 02:18 AM
[Mod note: Mad ravings removed]

sheepdean
04-17-2014, 03:02 AM
Meth: not even once

slave2thewage
04-17-2014, 03:08 AM
Well, that escalated quickly.

eversonpoe
04-17-2014, 08:09 AM
by the time i got here, it was deleted. i'm morbidly curious...anyone get a screencap? (i'm kidding)

Swykk
04-17-2014, 08:24 AM
I was sad Diiv canceled. That DJ sucked too...

kel
04-18-2014, 04:17 PM
the b.o. at some of my earlier shows was out of control. i remember waiting with the rest of the spiral members in salt lake during the 2005 fall arena tour and almost getting physically ill.

tony.parente
04-18-2014, 04:53 PM
by the time i got here, it was deleted. i'm morbidly curious...anyone get a screencap? (i'm kidding)

I'm not kidding.
What was said?

icecream
04-18-2014, 07:32 PM
All the people I met at shows were cool. One guy at my first show turned around during the Ghosts section and waved his hand in my face. He only had about 3 and a half fingers and was probably tripping on acid. Had beer spilt on my coat during the Tension show. Now with Pemberton on my schedule, I hope to meet some ETS members there and have a good time.

elevenism
04-19-2014, 02:05 PM
All the people I met at shows were cool. One guy at my first show turned around during the Ghosts section and waved his hand in my face. He only had about 3 and a half fingers and was probably tripping on acid. Had beer spilt on my coat during the Tension show. Now with Pemberton on my schedule, I hope to meet some ETS members there and have a good time.

This sort of shit happened to me more at rave massives around 2000. Once this guy grabbed me by the arm, and i mean TIGHT, and said "DOOD? YOU...TAKEMETO...WAAAAATER? PLEEEEEASSSEEEEE!? YOU!!!! WATER!!"
So i walked the poor fucker to the water kiosk (with him still clutching me for dear life) and he thought i was drum and bass jesus for it. I imagine he was candy flipping. I thought it was fucking hilarious!

implanted_microchip
04-19-2014, 02:38 PM
I got to experience my first NIN show last Halloween next to a guy dressed as Hunter Thompson from Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, doing a killer Johnny Depp impression, had the Vegas golf visor, broken cigarette and everything and was snorting coke throughout the entire show with his friends and almost cried when he learned that the Amway stopped selling beer after 10 PM. This is really the opposite of what this thread is about, but he was undoubtedly the best first-time concert buddy I could've ever hoped for. He even shook my hand for "being a real fan" and lectured me about how great Tool live is, then nearly fell over the balcony (we were in seats) when Reptile came on. Right after Black Noise a bunch of people seemed like they were about to leave, and then he leaned back in his seat with the broken cigarette up in the air while wearing aviator shades and said, exactly like the ship captain in Jaws, "It isn't over yet . . ." He was hugging random people after Hurt ended. It was beautiful. I really hope that guy is on here because I never did get to properly thank Johnny Depp man.

icecream
04-19-2014, 06:03 PM
This sort of shit happened to me more at rave massives around 2000. Once this guy grabbed me by the arm, and i mean TIGHT, and said "DOOD? YOU...TAKEMETO...WAAAAATER? PLEEEEEASSSEEEEE!? YOU!!!! WATER!!"
So i walked the poor fucker to the water kiosk (with him still clutching me for dear life) and he thought i was drum and bass jesus for it. I imagine he was candy flipping. I thought it was fucking hilarious!
Sounds crazy, havent been to a large rave before. Maybe I should check one out.

jessamineny
04-19-2014, 06:58 PM
I got to experience my first NIN show last Halloween next to a guy dressed as Hunter Thompson from Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas, doing a killer Johnny Depp impression, had the Vegas golf visor, broken cigarette and everything and was snorting coke throughout the entire show with his friends and almost cried when he learned that the Amway stopped selling beer after 10 PM. This is really the opposite of what this thread is about, but he was undoubtedly the best first-time concert buddy I could've ever hoped for. He even shook my hand for "being a real fan" and lectured me about how great Tool live is, then nearly fell over the balcony (we were in seats) when Reptile came on. Right after Black Noise a bunch of people seemed like they were about to leave, and then he leaned back in his seat with the broken cigarette up in the air while wearing aviator shades and said, exactly like the ship captain in Jaws, "It isn't over yet . . ." He was hugging random people after Hurt ended. It was beautiful. I really hope that guy is on here because I never did get to properly thank Johnny Depp man.

I'm so confused. ibanez33 lives in Canada.