PDA

View Full Version : The Netflix Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

elevenism
08-28-2013, 09:13 AM
I did this on the facebooks for awhile, with some good results.
I think it might work better here.
You tell me what is good on netflix.
I tell you what is good on netflix.
Everyone tells everyone what is good on netflix and we all win.

So here goes. I just finished American Horror Story. It's pretty dope.

Lost is INSANELY dope.

End of Watch is one of the best movies ive ever seen.

Snow on Da Bluff is fucking mindblowing.

I didnt see a netfling thread. But if there is already such a thing, point me to it.

littlemonkey613
08-28-2013, 04:11 PM
House of Cards and Orange is the New Black were both excellent in my opinion.

allegro
08-28-2013, 04:30 PM
My hair stylist was raving about Orange is the New Black, so I added streaming (again, I didn't like Netflix streaming much before). Gonna check it out.

Baphomette
08-28-2013, 04:52 PM
I've been ODing on documentaries lately.

- The Art of the Steal (about the controversy surrounding the Barnes collection of paintings)
- Head Games (about sports-associated brain injuries)
- Moving Midway (about moving a plantation)
- Up for Grabs (Barry Bonds' ball lawsuit)
- Stolen (about the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum robbery)
- Amazing Shadows (about the National Film Registry)
- Birders (about Central Park bird watchers)

And Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

redshoewearer
08-28-2013, 09:09 PM
I liked

Sherlock,
Copper - only has the first season
Fringe
Burn Notice
Being Human (the BBC version) - thought the premise was kind of weird but I got into it.
Jiro Dreams of Sushi - an amazing documentary about the best sushi chef in Japan.
Russia's Toughest Prisons was pretty interesting
Numbers (a show about an FBI agent whose mathematics professor brother uses math to help them solve cases)

Maybe I will give Orange is the New Black a little more of a chance - I kind of lost patience in the first episode but since so many say they liked it I will give it a little more time.

elevenism
08-29-2013, 05:02 AM
Orange is the new black is awesome but it kinda had to grow on me.
What's cool about this is what you guys are listing, i havent watched.
so...hell yes, and thank you for the suggestions.

I'm a doc nut too...i kinda lean towards the political.

Ethos, Patriocracy...those are the only two i can think of off the top of my head. oh, and Selling God is a fucking riot.
Conversely, Who Was Jesus is pretty damned interesting.

If you like docs, and you haven't checked out Ken Burns. He's one of the best documentarians of our time, i think. He has a newish on called The Dust Bowl (which may interest me extra because i live in the texas part of the dust bowl,) and also a pretty hot one about Prohibition.

There's also a sprawling one called The West...and the weirdest thing....his docs are SOOOO relaxing...i don't understand why they are so soothing but the just are.

I'll check out y'alls picks, and come with a better list later.

Oh. and Lost, Lost, Lost.

theruiner
08-29-2013, 07:02 AM
Maybe I will give Orange is the New Black a little more of a chance - I kind of lost patience in the first episode but since so many say they liked it I will give it a little more time.I got to episode five or six and then got sidetracked. It's decent. Nothing special. Granted, I haven't finished the season, but that's my impression so far. It definitely feels like a TV show, which is a downside. Maybe I've been spoiled by shows like Breaking Bad and Deadwood that feel more like films, but I don't have a lot of patience for things that feel glossy and TV show like. But yeah, it's ok so far. I may or may not finish the season at some point.

littlemonkey613
08-29-2013, 02:53 PM
I got to episode five or six and then got sidetracked. It's decent. Nothing special. Granted, I haven't finished the season, but that's my impression so far. It definitely feels like a TV show, which is a downside. Maybe I've been spoiled by shows like Breaking Bad and Deadwood that feel more like films, but I don't have a lot of patience for things that feel glossy and TV show like. But yeah, it's ok so far. I may or may not finish the season at some point.

Well its comedic/ takes place on a few closed sets for the most part. Its not exactly supposed to be a slick drama, but I see how some people wouldn't like it.

Once you get invested in the side characters and their backstory you sort of forget the show is about Piper. It's cool. The creator/head writer even said Piper was her trojan horse to tell stories of women she was actually interested in LOL.

Zipfinator
08-29-2013, 03:16 PM
Dredd is on Netflix now, one of my favorite movies from last year. It's as close as we're going to get to the action movies of the 80's like Predator and Die Hard.

ILoveFestivals
08-29-2013, 08:11 PM
It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia
The I.T. Crowd
Sherlock
Arrested Development
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
and so many more great television programs

FernandoDante
08-29-2013, 09:34 PM
The new Doug Stanhope special, Beer Hall Putsch, is pretty good. Not his finest work, but some really good, really dark stuff.

theburningreptile
08-29-2013, 09:52 PM
If you're into documentaries and Star Trek, Trekkie's and Trek Nation are great documentaries. Especially for new fans of the franchise like myself.

elevenism
08-30-2013, 08:04 AM
The Road was fucking awesome...post apocalyptic story, but to me it had lots of very deep biblical symbolism. And i dont mean after school special symbolism, i mean the cool kind that's hard to spot, that's barely there. And Viggo Mortenson would make a PERFECT roland deschain for the dark tower (if that happens in our lifetimes.)
i heard it's happening "soon..." in 2010.

Harry Seaward
08-30-2013, 07:27 PM
I'm making my way through Firefly for the first time thanks to Netflix.

elevenism
08-30-2013, 07:50 PM
I'm making my way through Firefly for the first time thanks to Netflix.
is it good? i love buffy (shut up talking shit to me about it, i like girls, ok....) anyway i do, but i watched the firefly movie and didnt quite understand it so ...is the show good?

elevenism
08-30-2013, 07:52 PM
good GOD i saw this doc called Birdmen. it's about people in like...wingsuits. it's un-fucking-believable.
Y'all check it out, it's only 52 min.
These people use these bird-suits to b.a.s.e. jump from like a mile up, but then they FLY for two miles or so...as close to the terrain as possible.

Harry Seaward
08-30-2013, 09:57 PM
is it good? i love buffy (shut up talking shit to me about it, i like girls, ok....) anyway i do, but i watched the firefly movie and didnt quite understand it so ...is the show good?

I'm enjoying it.

And I'm not certain but I think the movie is meant to be watched after the series.

cynicmuse
08-31-2013, 12:55 AM
I'm enjoying it.

And I'm not certain but I think the movie is meant to be watched after the series.
Yes, the movie comes after the series to tie up the loose ends since it got cancelled mid season. Both are excellent.

I like Luther.

elevenism
08-31-2013, 08:12 PM
Say i saw a really good movie today called Dead Man's Shoes.
It's one of those "justifiable wrath" type movies with a lone vigilante doling out the serious punishment to a group of people who hurt someone close to him.
Old story, but this one's REALLY worth watching if you like a taut thriller.

Baphomette
08-31-2013, 08:25 PM
is it good? i love buffy (shut up talking shit to me about it, i like girls, ok....) anyway i do, but i watched the firefly movie and didnt quite understand it so ...is the show good?I don't think anyone here is gonna give you shit about loving BTVS.
Also, once you're done watching Firefly (and rewatching Serenity [b/c you need to]), check out Done the Impossible. It's a documentary about how Firefly fans got Universal to green-light the movie after the show was cancelled.

heavenly_bearded
08-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Netfllix is good to an extent. Vudu picks up where they leave off. Vudu is my preferred Streaming service. I personally hate having a big pile of physical media. Ultraviolet and Vudu allow me to keep my collection online and stream from my PS3 or Xbox 360. Free service, I just have to buy the moves, and since I can have my ultraviolet locker linked to my vudu I have no need to pay a monthly subscription. Plus Vudu has movies up to a month before the release date(Star Trek Into Darkness etc.). Once you have a code and redeem a movie, you own it forever.

The only reason I have not canceled my Netflix subscription yet is because I have not yet finished Arrested Development.

To you folks who use this and enjoy streaming, check out Vudu. Excellent alternative. And if you want movie codes, you know where to find me :)

Space Suicide
09-01-2013, 01:40 AM
Netfllix is good to an extent. Vudu picks up where they leave off. Vudu is my preferred Streaming service. I personally hate having a big pile of physical media. Ultraviolet and Vudu allow me to keep my collection online and stream from my PS3 or Xbox 360. Free service, I just have to buy the moves, and since I can have my ultraviolet locker linked to my vudu I have no need to pay a monthly subscription. Plus Vudu has movies up to a month before the release date(Star Trek Into Darkness etc.). Once you have a code and redeem a movie, you own it forever.

The only reason I have not canceled my Netflix subscription yet is because I have not yet finished Arrested Development.

To you folks who use this and enjoy streaming, check out Vudu. Excellent alternative. And if you want movie codes, you know where to find me :)

Been using Vudu on my Xbox 360 for over a year. Great service!

elevenism
09-01-2013, 09:19 AM
I don't think anyone here is gonna give you shit about loving BTVS.

I was joking about people OUTSIDE of ets busting the balls of BTVS fans.
At the same time though, when i think back to the Year Zero days, we used to give each other shit here for saying ANYTHING. ;)
Honestly i am so glad that the vibe at ets is more chilled out than it was 6 or 7 (good lord, i'm getting old) years ago

elevenism
10-23-2013, 06:12 AM
well i haven't kept this thread rolling, but i saw something that i really wanted to share.
It's a biopic about JD Salinger, and i believe it's just called Salinger.
He is a fucking ENIGMA like no one else. He hasn't published since 1965, has only done like one or two interviews since writing The Catcher in the Rye, but i guess the crazy fucker has been WRITING this whole time. he died in 2010 and he has shit scheduled to be released in in 2015 and 2020.
If you ever read catcher in the rye and or franny and zooey, this shit will blow your mind.

I also saw a great one about Levon Helms of The Band...i believe it was called "Ain't in it for my Health." it was very endearing to see this guy still playing shows and smoking kush in his seventies.

So what's up, y'all, what have you seen that's good? Let me know. im fucking BORED.

Eleveno over and out.

Lew
01-31-2014, 08:35 AM
movie43.
highly inappropriate and extremely funny.

hollowed_point
01-31-2014, 08:08 PM
Man of Tai Chi. Surprised me at how much I enjoyed it. Thought the martial arts was fantastic, and Tiger Chen is a beast.

The Great Destroyer
02-01-2014, 01:48 PM
I also liked Man of Tai Chi a lot. Also I've recently watched Assault on Precinct 13 and Big Trouble in Little China, both of which were just added to Netflix. Love me some John Carpenter!

Millionaire
02-02-2014, 05:35 AM
I've been working my way through Deep Space Nine. As a casual Trekkie, I haven't watched it much beforehand, but I'm really digging it. Its different than the other shows, more morally grey, and probably had a bit of influence on some other great scifi shows that came after such as Battlestar and Firefly. I can also see some of the Cardassian design influence in stuff like Halo.

theimage13
02-02-2014, 11:27 AM
movie43.
highly inappropriate and extremely funny.

It wasn't until I started reading the plot summary that I realized I had just seen that a couple months ago...and didn't find it funny. I seem to recall one or two of the sketches being somewhat humorous, but the rest just seemed to be "hey, we can be inappropriate and everyone will automatically laugh" kind of humor.

edit: oh, I'm supposed to tell you what's good on Netflix now. Uhhhhhhh...The Naked Gun?

orestes
02-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Russian Ark was recently added and it is, seriously, one of my favorite movies.

Another recommendation is The Story of Film: An Odyssey is you're a serious film buff.

Lew
02-02-2014, 05:12 PM
It wasn't until I started reading the plot summary that I realized I had just seen that a couple months ago...and didn't find it funny. I seem to recall one or two of the sketches being somewhat humorous, but the rest just seemed to be "hey, we can be inappropriate and everyone will automatically laugh" kind of humor.

edit: oh, I'm supposed to tell you what's good on Netflix now. Uhhhhhhh...The Naked Gun?

yeah, i was surprised i found it so funny. i am not much for movie or tv. but i haven't laughed so hard in a while...i would blame it on the dope, but my friend wasn't stoned and she found it just as funny. shout outs for: gotham speed dating, the homeschooled teenager, the blind date and iBabe.

Lew
02-02-2014, 07:49 PM
so we just watched a flick called 'the joneses" (david duchovny and demi moore)...first off, yes i watched this because david duchovny starred. yes. i. did.
but...it wasn't a bad movie at all.
the only thing that fucks me off is that the consumer gets off the hook in the storyline.
where in the hellz did personal responsibility go? no matter what context we are referring to, it seems to be dead in the modern world.
ugh.
i really like netflix, particularly for series...anyone recommend one? the first, and last, i watched was breaking bad.
started watching xfiles over again, and will continue to off and on, but i want something either truly funny or seriously thought provoking.
any suggestions?

Lew
02-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Orange is the new black is awesome but it kinda had to grow on me.
What's cool about this is what you guys are listing, i havent watched.
so...hell yes, and thank you for the suggestions.

I'm a doc nut too...i kinda lean towards the political.

Ethos, Patriocracy...those are the only two i can think of off the top of my head. oh, and Selling God is a fucking riot.
Conversely, Who Was Jesus is pretty damned interesting.

If you like docs, and you haven't checked out Ken Burns. He's one of the best documentarians of our time, i think. He has a newish on called The Dust Bowl (which may interest me extra because i live in the texas part of the dust bowl,) and also a pretty hot one about Prohibition.

There's also a sprawling one called The West...and the weirdest thing....his docs are SOOOO relaxing...i don't understand why they are so soothing but the just are.

I'll check out y'alls picks, and come with a better list later.

Oh. and Lost, Lost, Lost.

ok, going to check out selling god and who was jesus.

lost...my brother inhaled the series but i am hesitant because i watched the last 15 minutes of the last show with him. lol. having seen that, iyo, should i still give it a whirl?

Lew
02-02-2014, 07:56 PM
well i haven't kept this thread rolling, but i saw something that i really wanted to share.
It's a biopic about JD Salinger, and i believe it's just called Salinger.
He is a fucking ENIGMA like no one else. He hasn't published since 1965, has only done like one or two interviews since writing The Catcher in the Rye, but i guess the crazy fucker has been WRITING this whole time. he died in 2010 and he has shit scheduled to be released in in 2015 and 2020.
If you ever read catcher in the rye and or franny and zooey, this shit will blow your mind.

I also saw a great one about Levon Helms of The Band...i believe it was called "Ain't in it for my Health." it was very endearing to see this guy still playing shows and smoking kush in his seventies.

So what's up, y'all, what have you seen that's good? Let me know. im fucking BORED.

Eleveno over and out.

franny and zooey was one of my fave books back in the day, so thanks for the salinger info...going to find that biopic. :)

Lew
02-02-2014, 08:02 PM
i have been trying, over the last year, to force myself to watch some movies and some tv series (hence watching breaking bad and then movie43 and the joneses), and this is why i love netflix.
thanks for this thread, i am looking forward to viewing a couple of the suggestions. :)

ziltoid
02-02-2014, 08:44 PM
I highly suggest Top Gear U.K.(The best one, forget about the other top gears), Luthor, Sherlock Holmes (BBC), Archer, and Futurama.

sentient02970
02-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Been digging The Borgias while I wait for the next season of House Of Cards.

hellospaceboy
02-07-2014, 06:46 PM
I've been watching How I Met Your Mother, and I have to say I really love it! I'm up to season 6 or 7 now, and the quality of the writing is constantly very high, the self-references and in jokes are very enjoyable. It's funny as hell, and the 20 minute/episode running time keeps it pretty fresh.

Highly recommended.

elevenism
02-08-2014, 02:42 AM
Antichrist is honestly the most fucked up thing i have ever seen. i mean REALLY. i dont get disturbed easily.
And it's not a horror movie...more of an art film.
Watch it at your own risk, but i thought it was amazing.
Insanely disturbing, but SO smart too.
I go for the disturbing and the artsy fartsy, so it was definitely my cup of tea.
And HEY YALL its been awhile. :)

elevenism
02-08-2014, 02:45 AM
ok, going to check out selling god and who was jesus.

lost...my brother inhaled the series but i am hesitant because i watched the last 15 minutes of the last show with him. lol. having seen that, iyo, should i still give it a whirl?
yeah, definitely. lost is amazing and to me the ending is kinda...ummm...open ended anyway. it's very much subject to interpretation.
my girl the other day put it best when telling someone "we like...wish we hadn't seen lost so we could see it again."

elevenism
02-11-2014, 02:29 PM
ok i just saw another good one...Red White and Blue i think it was.
It reminded me of Kids or Gummo.

And i finally got into House of Cards. It's GREAT!

Man, i wish we could get more people to contribute to this thread. Tell yer friends.

Trains
02-11-2014, 02:47 PM
Yes, the movie comes after the series to tie up the loose ends since it got cancelled mid season. Both are excellent.

I like Luther.

Luther is great. The character is so dark, but I always end up rooting for him. There's a third season which (I think) is the last. but it's not been put on Netflix yet.

There's a load of great recommendations in this thread, but hardly any of them are available to watch the UK. I don't quite understand why the US have so many more serials of 'classic' Doctor Who than we do, considering we made it. [/grumble]

Here's what I'm digging:

House of Cards
Louis Theroux
Castle
Jekyll
Luther
The Thick of It

orestes
03-04-2014, 07:10 PM
Blue Is The Warmest Color has just been added to instant watch.

Deadpool
03-04-2014, 07:53 PM
I have to recommend "A Late Quartet" on Netflix. It stars the late Philip Seymour Hoffman (in a typically excellent performance), Catherine Keener, and Christopher Walken. I didn't even know it existed until my friend recommended it to me a week or two ago. Very enjoyable and very well acted.

"The Hunt" (starring Mads Mikkelsen) was also added recently which I've been meaning to see for a while and can't wait to watch - t'was nominated for an Oscar this year. Gonna have to set aside 3 hours to eventually absorb "Blue is the Warmest Color" too. Malick's "To The Wonder" was added as well which I haven't seen in months and I'm looking forward to seeing again. It's narratively abstract as usual but I found it deeply moving. Nobody does it like Malick.

elevenism
03-09-2014, 07:10 PM
Not only am i an NIN geek, i'm a rush geek too. Somebody finally did them justice...there is a Rush documentary on Netflix now.
And i'm sure this was mentioned in NIN spotting, but the very first person talking about rush in the documentary is good old Trent.
It made me feel a little less geeky to hear trent, billy corgan, vinnie paul, les claypool, etc...talking about how bad ass rush is.
If you have a little, or a lot, of rush geek in you, you will LOVE this shit.

Also, Carlos (the miniseries) is fucking AWESOME. It's about a militant leftist, and it kind of reminds me of dexter in that i found myself rooting for the terrorist anti-hero.

elevenism
03-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Dirty Wars is pretty fucking shocking...it's about drone strikes and pretty much illegal covert ops the US carries out. Watching it timed with the headline about reducing the size of the conventional military was eye-opening.

And Lillyhammer is the shit. It might as well be a sopranos spinoff...but it's really funny.

Deadpool
03-11-2014, 01:27 PM
Update: "The Hunt" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieLIOBkMgAQ) is superb. Essential viewing if you're a Mads Mikkelsen fan.

I loved how balanced and realistic it felt: for a movie about a well-meaning guy who has to deal with an entire town (including his best friend) turning on him, the main character still had people fighting for him, but not at the expense of diminished drama. In lesser hands, it easily could have turned into EVERYBODY turning against this guy. Aside from the emotional toll, there was also enough direct conflict to keep things interesting and propulsive for the film's duration. Highly recommended.

elevenism
03-14-2014, 02:38 AM
orestes, why Blue is the Warmest Color?

I just watched a show called Power and Terror: Noam Chomsky in Our Times.
It was really awesome for a leftist like me. Noam believes that the US is the biggest terrorist organization in the world, and i tend to agree.

Lovely Molly was pretty good for a horror movie.

Same goes for House of the Devil, which had a great 1980s period vibe to it.

Haunter was pretty damn good too,

Has anyone checked out Antichrist yet?

elevenism
03-14-2014, 02:48 AM
I just posted this in the Documentaries thread, and i thought i would post it here too.
The Impostor was fucking riveting.

The Big Fix is great too...it's about the BP oil spill. I suspected some fucked up things were going on in this case, and this doc exposes those things. My fears, and worse, are true.

Blackfish is great too..it's about how at seaworld, the people have abused the animals and the animals have gored and eaten the people all along.

Oh yeah, Smash and Grab is a trip...it's about an international ring of diamond thieves...and what's great about this one is that many of the interviews are with group members who have yet to be caught! Their voices and faces are hidden.

Y'all, i want this thread to be the place we come to decide what to watch on netflix.
Don't be shy!
For instance, Miss Baphomette, i just added ALL of your recs to my watch list!
If you see something good, and are here every day like i am,
POST THAT SHIT!

Who's with me?!

Dra508
03-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the recommendations. I share my account and what Netflix gives for recommendations are all wrong for me. I dread hunting around so I'll cue a couple of these up especially the one on Noam.

Deadpool
03-14-2014, 09:12 AM
Last night, I showed my mom 2 of my favorite movies: The Messenger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tTIQ8pkGf0) and My Left Foot (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ellpw_5t84) - both of which she liked. :)

The Messenger features what's easily one of Woody Harrelson's finest performances (Oscar nominated) -- one of Ben Foster's too. If you're a fan of either of those actors and haven't seen this movie, you need to. The whole concept of following 2 Casualty Notification Officers is absolutely fascinating to me, and it's remarkably well executed.

My Left Foot is a great story as it is, but Daniel Day-Lewis's performance is completely next-level and essential. Between his posture/body language, his accent, and his emotional intensity, it's amazing how high a level he's operating at in each of these categories simultaneously.

elevenism
03-15-2014, 10:42 PM
i've been meaning to watch my left foot.

adding the messenger now.

orestes
03-15-2014, 11:10 PM
@orestes (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4), why Blue is the Warmest Color?

I just watched a show called Power and Terror: Noam Chomsky in Our Times.
It was really awesome for a leftist like me. Noam believes that the US is the biggest terrorist organization in the world, and i tend to agree.

Lovely Molly was pretty good for a horror movie.

Same goes for House of the Devil, which had a great 1980s period vibe to it.

Haunter was pretty damn good too,

Has anyone checked out Antichrist yet?

Actually haven't seen Blue Is The Warmest Color. I just thought it was interesting it was added to instant watch so soon after the dvd release.

elevenism
03-16-2014, 08:06 AM
Right on, and thank you for participating in this thread, orestes

Tums206_BFY
03-17-2014, 01:21 PM
I just finished House of Cards (lol awesome) and am now watching Orange is the New Black, not bad at all.

Will probably at some point watch the BBC original HOC, Lilyhammer, and Breaking Bad (finally)

Magtig
03-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Blue Is The Warmest Color has just been added to instant watch.
I watched that movie a while back, and although I didn't hate it, I'm really not sure why it's being talked about as such a big deal. It seemed rather uneventful and plain to me. Is it just because it involves a female, female relationship, or was it the raunchy sex scenes (which didn't add at all to the story)? Don't get me wrong, they were enjoyable to look at, but the whole thing kinda felt like, "Okay. And?" to me.

In fact, now that I think about that movie a little more, it's pretty insulting to the viewer. It does a great job of assuming you're too stupid to get it, and proceeds to beat you over the head with the same information again and again. It's three hours, most of it banal and repetitive, that could have easily been done in an hour and a half.

orestes
03-17-2014, 07:54 PM
Yeah, I have no real desire to watch a simulated sex scene between two women for twenty minutes. Tis why I watch porn. ;) But I have to wonder if this movie would have all the buzz if it was about two young men?

ziltoid
03-18-2014, 03:44 AM
One exceptional documentary I highly suggest watching is: The House I Live In. It features an interview with David Simon from the creator of The Wire (Which is my favorite show ever created).

Why We Fight director Eugene Jarecki shifts his focus from the military industrial complex to the War on Drugs in this documentary exploring the risks that prohibition poses to freedom, and the tragedy of addicts being treated as criminals. In the four decades since the War on Drugs commenced, over 45 millions of addicts have been arrested - and for each one jailed, another family is destroyed. Meanwhile, the prisons in America are growing overcrowded with non-violent criminals, and illegal drugs are still being sold in schoolyards. By examining just where it all went wrong, Jarecki reveals that a solution is possible if we can just find it in ourselves to be compassionate, and see past the decades of paranoia and propaganda. ~ Jason Buchanan, Rovi

https://lh3.ggpht.com/-GTubCoUvUtI/UjOxJnAL-OI/AAAAAAAAsYs/2SvSrZzOg2Q/s1600/elfilm_com-the-house-i-live-in-40566.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0atL1HSwi8
Another great documentary is Senna, even if your not a fan of F1 racing it is definitely worth checking out.
http://movieboozer.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/senna-movie-poster.jpg

elevenism
03-19-2014, 05:28 AM
The Impostor is a great, CRAZY doc.
Tabloid is a damn good one.
Sons of Perdition was so absorbing that i didn't want for it to be over: it's about people trying to escape Warren Jeff's Mormon splinter cult.
Talhotblond was another great, off the wall doc.
Eyes of the Mothman is an extremely engaging doc about the titular phenomenon...it's REALLY long and i didn't even realize 2.5 hours had gone by.
The Woman Who Wasn't There is a fucking TRIP...about the woman who claimed to be a 9/11 survivor but wasn't!
Fall From Grace is about the Westboro Baptist Church...you know, the sick fucks who picket with the God Hates Fags and God Loves Dead Soldiers because the military enable fags or whatever? It's a stunning look at these BIZARRE people who have boiled the Bible down to three words (god hates fags.) My favorite sign they hold up says "God Hates YOU!" LOL! These fucks make me embarrassed to admit to being a christian!
A great way to follow this up is with Kevin Smith's Red State: The plot of which is basically what if these fuckers turned violent?
For MORE fun, watch Kevin Smith Burn in Hell, aQ and A he did after a red state screening, which is HILARIOUS.If i haven't mentioned it before, DEXTER, DEXTER, DEXTER!!!!

elevenism
03-19-2014, 05:31 AM
Oh yeah, and i second ziltoid on "The House I Live In."
And thanks for answering my question about Senna, as i'm not an F1 fan

Thanks for participating in the thread, ziltoid
Dra508 , please to give us some recommendations?

elevenism
03-19-2014, 05:39 AM
littlemonkey613 , @Miss Baphomette (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=11) , allegro , @redshoewearer (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=166) Lew , ILoveFestivals , @orestes (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4) , @sentient02970 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=444) , @Tums206_BFY (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=836) , Deadpool . have you seen anything good lately?

And PLEASE, all of you check out Antichrist. I know it sounds like a lame horror movie but it's not.

sentient02970
03-19-2014, 06:04 AM
I watched The Bay a couple of nights ago without too many expectations. It held my interest, that's about all I think it had going for it.

Also finally started watching Breaking Bad. I like it but have yet to fall in love with it.

As for Antichrist, yes I've seen it twice. I'm not saying it was bad but twice is the maximum number of times I'm willing to experience it. Hmmm, does that actually mean it's bad?

redshoewearer
03-19-2014, 10:41 AM
@littlemonkey613 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=497) , @Miss Baphomette (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=11) , @allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) , @redshoewearer (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=166) @Lew (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=473) , @ILoveFestivals (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2773) , @orestes (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4) , @sentient02970 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=444) , @Tums206_BFY (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=836) , @Deadpool (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=237) . have you seen anything good lately?

And PLEASE, all of you check out Antichrist. I know it sounds like a lame horror movie but it's not.

I haven't had as much time to watch lately, but I got Captain Phillips on DVD (I don't know if you have a DVD plan), and then A Very Harold and Kumar Christmas (can't help it - I love those guys!), I watched The Following with Kevin Bacon - it was kind of creepy but good enough to hold my interest. Can't remember if I mentioned A Killing. That was a good murder series set in Seattle.

Thanks for the recommendation on Antichrist.

Magtig
03-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Yeah, I have no real desire to watch a simulated sex scene between two women for twenty minutes. Tis why I watch porn. ;) But I have to wonder if this movie would have all the buzz if it was about two young men?
I don't know the answer to that, but it's a good question. We're going to have to go through all kinds of novelty-homo stuff in popular culture now, aren't we? And people are going to say it's good just because of the homo-ness of it, aren't they? Pragmatically, it's probably a necessary step towards equality, but I don't look forward to art that's over-hyped based on the orientations of the subjects involved. One thing I do know is that this movie would have zero hype if it were about a straight couple.

dogsipod
03-19-2014, 12:43 PM
Archer is damn good

allegro
03-19-2014, 01:35 PM
I haven't had as much time to watch lately, but I got Captain Phillips on DVD (I don't know if you have a DVD plan)
I have both the DVD and the streaming plan; but I've been so busy, a DVD comes in and then it sits on my coffee table for MONTHS. Right now, "Silver Linings Playbook" has been sitting there for so long, I think mold is starting to accumulate on it.

Baphomette
03-19-2014, 05:57 PM
@littlemonkey613 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=497) , @Miss Baphomette (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=11) , @allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) , @redshoewearer (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=166) @Lew (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=473) , @ILoveFestivals (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2773) , @orestes (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4) , @sentient02970 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=444) , @Tums206_BFY (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=836) , @Deadpool (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=237) . have you seen anything good lately?

It's pretty all over the place, the stuff I've watched lately. Let's see...

- Grabbers - Aliens and very drunk Irish people (I thought this was funny as all fuck but that might have been b/c of the whiskey)
- The People vs. George Lucas - Fans against Lucas' film tweakage (awesome)
- Kevin Hart: Grown Little Man - HILARIOUS stand-up
- The Great Happiness Space (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0493420/) - Wow. Just... Wow.
- BtVS and Angel rewatch
- Booker's Place - About a black man who worked in a whites-only restaurant (really great)
- Room 237 - Theories behind "The Shining" (this one bugged me; the soundtrack really did the film a disservice.)
- Ghost Bird - What happens when a woodpecker thought to be extinct since the 20s is sighted again in Arkansas? (LOVED it.)
- Objectified - Things, the people who design them and how they influence us every day. (awesome)
- An Affair of the Heart - Rick Springfield fanbois/girls. Pretty freaky. Apparently, there's a Rick Springfield cruise every year.
- They Call It Myanmar - About life in the second-most isolated country on the planet, which has been rule by dictatorship for almost 50 years. (fantastic)
- What Maise Knew - About Courtney Love's horrible parenting skills. ;) Only watched it b/c of Alexander Skarsgard.
- The Kids Are Alright - Lesbian couple's children decide to track down their sperm donor. (really liked it.)

I always have something playing in the background while I work. Helps me concentrate.

theburningreptile
03-19-2014, 06:07 PM
Currently watching Bates Motel and it's pretty good so far. I'll be watching the Following too soon. Heard good things. I hope Hemlock Grove premiers with another season soon.

Baphomette
03-19-2014, 06:28 PM
I hope Hemlock Grove premiers with another season soon.Coming next month. The company I work for does the merchandising (http://www.goldlabel.com/hemlock-grove).

elevenism
03-20-2014, 11:54 PM
I'm glad some of you checked out antichrist. it's pretty fucking rough, but it's SMART. Damn sure not for everyone.
The Smithsonian channel has one called Titanic's Final Mystery or something like that. It's fucking dope. I thought i knew everything about titanic, but in this thing they figure out WHY it sank.

cynicmuse
03-21-2014, 02:31 PM
I really enjoyed Season 2 of House of Cards. I also liked Orphan Black; it's rare to find a sci-fi show that focuses so well on how future technology could affect personal interactions. Now to schedule some time to watch the final season of Breaking Bad.

Lew
03-21-2014, 05:22 PM
I'm glad some of you checked out antichrist. it's pretty fucking rough, but it's SMART. Damn sure not for everyone.

how gory is this on a scale of 'none to nightmares'? it sounds very interesting, very intense and very scary.
it also has willem dafoe in it, and he is one of my all time favourite actors...
thanks...

elevenism
03-21-2014, 08:50 PM
it's about a 5. the gore is not the most disturbing thing about it, and there isn't much...but what gore there is is pretty fucking hard to unsee.
It's not a horror movie though. I'm not into gore myself. This is kind of an art film about the wickedness of the human race, in my opinion.

elevenism
03-22-2014, 12:43 AM
The messenger was damn good. thanks for the tip, @Deadpool (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=237) . i trust your taste in movies now...i'm about to watch The Hunt
I must say, however, that i wish the narrative was more cohesive.
I used to LOVE movies like that, when they were rare. Now it seems to be a big trend.
Don't get me wrong, this one was PRETTY fucking cohesive...it just, for me, lacked resolution.
But it's a great (if somewhat tear-jerking) movie.

Deadpool
03-22-2014, 11:40 AM
The messenger was damn good. thanks for the tip, @Deadpool (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=237) . i trust your taste in movies now...i'm about to watch The Hunt
I must say, however, that i wish the narrative was more cohesive.
I used to LOVE movies like that, when they were rare. Now it seems to be a big trend.
Don't get me wrong, this one was PRETTY fucking cohesive...it just, for me, lacked resolution.
But it's a great (if somewhat tear-jerking) movie.

Glad you watched it and liked it! I see where you're coming from for sure. lt gets almost defiantly ambiguous towards the end, and the characters are seemingly wandering through most of the film (which happens to be appropriate), but at least for me, it's all forgivable due to how good Foster and Harrelson are together.

Please post your thoughts on The Hunt after you've watched it! There's a lot to chew on in that movie, and I think you'll be just as engaged by that one if not more so...

Lew
03-22-2014, 11:49 AM
it's about a 5. the gore is not the most disturbing thing about it, and there isn't much...but what gore there is is pretty fucking hard to unsee.
It's not a horror movie though. I'm not into gore myself. This is kind of an art film about the wickedness of the human race, in my opinion.

lol fuckity fuck!!!! this is exactly what i feared, being incapable of unseeing...but still, since it is not a horror movie i am going to see it. thanks for this.
in an odd way the blurb i read reminded me of the dutch vanishing movie, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096163/ and though i didn't sleep for a week and STILL haven't stopped thinking of that film, it was very worth seeing.
i will definitely post once i have seen it.
happy saturday, elevenism!

Lew
03-24-2014, 06:19 PM
hey elevenism...are you going to watch melancholia? it is also on netflix.
i can't watch antichrist until the kids are gone for the night, or i am willing to stay up really late and then be bitchy in the morning, lol.
but i have decided to watch antichrist then melancholia and then nymphomaniac...wondering how long it will take netflix to get nymphomanic up...

theburningreptile
04-01-2014, 06:11 AM
So House M.D. is now on Netflix. I'm watching it from the beginning now. I've already seen the end so it's interesting to see how they get there now. I've always liked house but I could never catch it from the beginning. So, Thank You Netflix. :D

elevenism
04-02-2014, 09:19 PM
theburningreptile, i noticed that house is finally on netflix too, and i've been watching too. i fucking love that show! now if we could just get criminal minds.
Lew, i watched melancholia a year or two ago, and i really got a kick out of it. It's almost insufferably slow, but i loved the meaning (or my perceived meaning) of it...that people who are depressed are better at handling crises.

Everybody, there is a new movie called Mr. Nobody. I highly recommend it. It falls into the "head-scratcher" category, but it's damn good. Without giving too much away, it's kind of about string theory and alternate dimensions and timelines and such.
it's long, but i think most of you will dig it, netflix crew.

elevenism
04-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Contracted was a fairly good horror movie

cynicmuse
04-07-2014, 10:55 PM
I watched 20 Feet From Stardom. It was really good. Someone on here recommended during the last tour since Lisa Fischer was featured.

onthewall2983
04-08-2014, 01:04 AM
Season 3 of Bob's Burgers ​is up. Best animated show on Fox right now.

elevenism
04-08-2014, 05:16 AM
the pact was also a fairly good horror movie

Michalrose
04-08-2014, 11:38 AM
Highly recommending "Rectify". I found it disturbing, moving, compelling and beautifully acted. All the good stuff. Second season in production now.

elevenism
04-10-2014, 09:07 PM
thanks Michalrose, i'm about to go check out "rectify."

I thought Branded was fucking great but the mrs thought it was stupid.

Also, i watched Berberian Sound Studio...i loved it, but i also found it like eraserhead level indecipherable.
Maybe one of you guys can explain it to me.

onthewall2983
04-12-2014, 05:03 PM
High recommendations for Milius, new to Netflix by way of their partnership with Epix. The controversial and grandiose life and work of John Mlius is explored through interviews with a murderer's row of Hollywood legends, as well as children and friends.

OSLIN
04-13-2014, 01:49 PM
Don't know if anyone recommended this yet? The first two seasons of The Inbetweeners.

dogsipod
04-14-2014, 07:43 AM
the movie butter is solid, drinking buddies was ok...felt it just kinda of ended.

theruiner
04-18-2014, 10:07 PM
Is anyone else watching The Returned? This shit is really good, you guys. It's not amazing or anything, but I'm really digging it. Only one season so far and it's only eight episodes, so I'm trying to pace myself but it's hard.

Verthandi
04-22-2014, 01:22 AM
Angels' Share - good Scottish comedy/drama about a bunch of criminals that meet during community service and plan to steal some super rare whiskey. It's even better if you're a whiskey fan.

theruiner
04-27-2014, 05:57 PM
This was hilarious and very entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3DmdV9XByY

elevenism
05-07-2014, 03:40 PM
Have i mentioned Berberian Sound Studio?
It was DAMN good...ultra-creative David Lynch style head scratching pseudo horror movie.

Post Tenebras Lux is pretty much in the same style. I liked it a LITTLE less because it was less cohesive. It has scene after scene of "what in the HELL just happened, or "who in the fuck was THAT character, and how was he able to rip his own fucking head off! (lolz, i'm not gonna tell you if that's LITERALLY what happened...don't wanna ruin it for you.)

Beyond The Black Rainbow had some head scratching elements as well, but was more cohesive than the other two, and gains MASSIVE cool points from me because it is the...how do i say it...it was the single most "eighties retro" film i've ever seen.
From dialogue to effects, music to the actual FILM the cameras use, it just SCREAMED late seventies-early eighties. And it was pretty damn creepy too. I reccomend it for sure.

Well, ETS Netflix Crew, good old Eleveno just found out that he has to go to jail for a month starting in the morning.
I will talk to everyone next month.

Until then, happy streaming!! :)

elevenism
05-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Sorry to double post, but i'm about to go away for a little while and i had to tell you guys this.
My gf/fiance/common law wife, whatever the hell you want to call her....my lovely mate, the love of my life...anyway, she got me watching Grey's Anatomy, and i have this to say...i hated it at first.
But it sucks you in!

Before i knew it, i was bitching at her for watching it without me! i fucking LOVE it.

Women, many of you probably already know about this. And guys, you ARENT too cool for it! :)

allegro
05-07-2014, 08:53 PM
I can't believe that show is still on TV.

elevenism
05-08-2014, 05:17 AM
i know, right? and they signed contracts for TWO MORE years!

theruiner
05-08-2014, 07:06 PM
Just finished watching this. It was wonderful.

http://i.imgur.com/FP3BCjD.jpg?1?7527

elevenism
06-04-2014, 12:05 PM
i wanna know if there are ANY good horror movies on netflix...

implanted_microchip
06-04-2014, 12:21 PM
i wanna know if there are ANY good horror movies on netflix...

Not sure if it still is but for a very long time the Lars Von Trier film Antichrist was available streaming, and some people really don't carry for it but for me it was one of the most impacting and effective horror movies I've seen in quite a while.

This is maybe more divisive but The Blair Witch Project is on there now, and it's worth seeing at least once at least for nothing else because of the influence it had and how important it was. I actually enjoy it, but different tastes and all that.

The Cabin In the Woods is an excellent anti-horror film if that makes any sense. Just watch it, if you make it through the beginning it becomes fantastic.

I really enjoyed Red State; then again I really like Kevin Smith and found it amazing to see the guy who made Dogma making a movie like Red State.

Let the Right One In is my favorite vampire movie by far.

That said a lot of those are up to personal taste, and also I just looked through their horror category for the first time in ages and holy shit did they have an influx of straight-to-DVD or what?

elevenism
06-04-2014, 12:32 PM
i fucking ADORED antichrist and let the right one in.

ibanez33
06-05-2014, 12:34 AM
Canadian Netflix just got the first 2 seasons of NBC's 'Hannibal'. If you live in Canada and haven't seen it, get on it.

elevenism
06-05-2014, 01:02 AM
kleiner352, this is me from February

Antichrist is honestly the most fucked up thing i have ever seen. i mean REALLY. i dont get disturbed easily.
And it's not a horror movie...more of an art film.
Watch it at your own risk, but i thought it was amazing.
Insanely disturbing, but SO smart too.
I go for the disturbing and the artsy fartsy, so it was definitely my cup of tea.

i think i posted a few more times trying to get people to watch Antichrist in this thread.
As fucked off as it was, i can't exactly call it a horror movie. I guess that's because i see it as an "art" film, (for whatever that means...) and "art" generally transcends the horror genre.
I'm not sure i'm using the right words here, but i think if you watched and dug it, you will kinda know what i mean.

So without giving away too much, what do you think was the deeper meaning of Antichrist. I think it was about how humanity is inherently wicked.

Well, Lorien won on netflix today. I chose "Frozen Ground," i think it was called, with Nicholas Cage and John Cusack, and believe it or not, it was pretty half ass! It was one of those "thrillers" in which the only "thrilling" parts were viscerally uncomfortable rape and torture scenes. IDK, maybe i was just in a bad mood.

She picked one called Black Butterflies that was really bad ass, about a the life of a great free spirited South African poet who was quoted in a speech by Mandela. I recommend that one.

She has been watching all these Jane Austen flicks, and judging by her rapt attention, i think they must be good (if you're in to that kind of thing, she adores the books.)

Jinsai
06-05-2014, 05:40 AM
it's hard to keep track of what's still on Netflix. They're always changing it up.

But I love horror movies, especially haunted house movies (not entirely sure why). Here's some of my favorites. Though some are a bit schlocky, I still like em.

Carrie - One of my favorite horror movies. Maybe it's not going to make you jump out of your seat, and some of the relief humor hasn't aged well, but it's just great. If you love horror movies and haven't seen Carrie, you need to.

The Inkeepers - A great modern haunted house movie that actually gets it right. Slow burn, definitely, but it's effective.

Grave Encounters - avoid the terrible sequel, this is an actually tense, captivating, and fun horror film. But seriously, don't watch the sequel. It actually screwed up my appreciation for the first movie a bit. I wish I could unsee it. Hard to believe it's made by the same people.

Cabin in the Woods - more campy comedy/satire horror than "real" horror, but I thought it was really entertaining... and I'm not sure if people who don't like horror movies would really like it much. So, I'd recommend it to someone looking for a good horror movie, because even if it's not exactly that, it's made for people like you.

Nosferatu - You've probably seen it, but if not and you're in the mood for something that goes beyond genre-defining or classic, and right into iconic territory...

Candyman - I actually think it's deeper than it seems, and if you let it get under your skin it's really creepy. Also, great score by Phillip Glass.

V/H/S/ 2 - better than the first. Some of the segments are authentically chilling and disturbing. This one actually does manage to pull off the vignette found footage thing properly, with only a couple dull misfires.

Maniac - Worth it for the soundtrack alone, and some really unsettling segments. Not perfect by any stretch, but if you're looking for a chilling, disconcerting serial killer horror movie punctuated with some shocking and disturbing moments, this does the trick. But really, the soundtrack is awesome.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - on the other hand, if you want a serial killer movie that will really fuck with your head and genuinely freak you out, there's this. It's a good movie, but I'm hesitant to recommend it too cavalierly. This movie can really upset you.

The Host - good (if a bit overrated at the time) Korean monster movie.

The Re-Animater - Brutal, quirky, and defined by a really unique sense of campy humor that still manages to build to a point that will leave an impact.

Scream - the original movie is still good. Awful sequels, and it was unfortunately the inspiration for a slew of lame vanilla teen slashers with no balls, but the original is still good, despite the weak final reveal. Still, you've probably already seen it.

Ju-On (the grudge) - the Japanese version is much more effective than the American remake. If you haven't seen a Japanese haunting/ghost movie, this is a good place to start.

Hellraiser - I still think the movie failed to translate the really profound nature of the novella (really, it's a great parable about guilt, jealousy, and how we ultimately allow these emotions to punish ourselves to achieve what we perceive to be some vague notion of satisfaction), it's still classic. Also, Pinhead is one of the greatest screen movie monsters.

Night of the Living Dead - easily one of the most essential horror films ever.

Day of the Dead - seriously underrated (and incredibly gross) sequel to Night of the Living Dead. Some of the most genuinely upsetting zombie violence ever, and if you're into extreme, elaborate gore makeup effects, this delivers

Let the Right One In - not a traditional horror movie... more of a genuinely moving drama involving vampires. You have to be in the right mood for it, but if you are, it's incredible.

Hellraiser II - Not as good as the first film, but the gore effects have aged better, and it takes a refreshing dark-fantasy spin on the concept of the original.

House on Haunted Hill - A campy, William Castle movie starring Vincent Price, and one of the most memorable. It's cheesy, ridiculous, and loaded with unintentional humorous moments. The intent is endearing, and the movie is really fun. Still, there's a reason MST3K has parodied it.

Legend of Hell House - a little rough around the edges, but I love haunted house movies, and this one is edgier than most.

Mimic - not great sci-fi monster horror, but at least it has teeth.

Existenz - not sure why Netflix has this listed in the horror section, but it's maybe Cronenberg's most underrated movie. Psychological mindfuck greatness.

11/11/11 - One of the worst movies I've ever seen. Just awful in every way. A terrible, pathetic rip off pastiche of Rosemary's Baby and The Omen. Also, one of the most hilarious movies I've ever seen. The same hack production company later released a sequel 12/12/12. I think I might check that out now...

There's also a ton of great schlocky grindhouse stuff floating around on Netflix. You can usually tell what's worth checking out if you're in that mood from the cover art.

implanted_microchip
06-05-2014, 08:59 AM
elevenism : I realize we might be de-railing things a bit here, but I initially was so overwhelmed by Antichrist that I found it really hard to even bother thinking about what it meant, and instead just took it as an experience and then rewatched it to sort more out. I definitely agree on the wickedness of mankind, and most of all I think beyond mankind it deals with the chaos of nature (hence "Chaos Reigns" coming from an animal, etc.), and something that I find really amazing is that unlike so many other films, where nature is shown as this serenely beautiful place, instead it's made into a nightmare of sorts. The trees ripple, there's the acorns raining down at one point, and the wife's struggle to even walk across a path all really heighten that sense of imposing fear coming from just the world around them. I think the man in the film keeps trying to find order in the chaos, but what the woman shows is that there isn't any, and that mankind is still a part of nature no matter how much we distance ourselves from it, and because of that there's always going to be that inherent chaos brought forth by ourselves. I mean, the wife seems antagonistic, but at the same time if anything she's really just embracing the world around her, and when things start . . . happening, does the natural world seem against it at all? No; even the birds start embracing it and in a way allowing it.

I definitely think there is so much beneath the surface of that film, and I myself still have had a hard time figuring out everything that I'd like to know (I know it's often been labelled as a sexist film, but at the same time it's also anti-psychiatry, etc., and I mean really, I think to say it's outwardly speaking against women is a bit of a leap to make, especially considering how many of von Trier's films center on women).

I definitely call it a horror movie because the first thing it really does is scare you, but I definitely agree about it being an art film, but then again I think that's what makes it such a good horror film to me; it doesn't treat horror as a shameful genre to be, instead it embraces it and uses it to show how much can be done with the subject of fear and malice and just the general negativity that horror focuses more on than any other genre. It actually reminds me a lot of the original Silent Hill games in terms of how much is built on psychological effects, not physical ones; the violence in it is incredibly brutal, but it's so minimal. It's the things that lead into it that make it so impacting.

elevenism
06-10-2014, 06:24 AM
thank you for the insights, kleiner352.
I certainly didn't see it as misogynistic, as we are all born of women even if we aren't women ourselves.
but i hadn't thought about the nature symbolism, and the meaning of nature's
"reaction."
Good call.

Thank you so much for the list, Jinsai !
i've seen about half of those. I haven't seen Re-Animator, Grave Encounters, Legend of Hell House, Henry, Existenz, or 11/11/11.

I agree with you that Hellraiser is a great movie, and i think both it and the second one have stood the test of time.
As far as living up to the source material, the Hellbound Heart is the nastiest, most disturbing, deliciously depraved little book i've ever read. The way it's written, however...it just doesn't exactly lend itself to the screen.

Have you seen the version of Nosferatu with Type O music for the soundtrack? I saw it on an old, passed around vhs tape, and good god it was awesome.

If you liked the inkeepers, there's another one by the same director called The House of the Devil. It's another slow burner. One thing i dig about it is that it's an 1980s period piece.

I saw one called Absentia for the second time last night, and i actually thought it was pretty damned good.

Oh, and Ju-On...i've seen several asian horror flicks, but haven't caught this one...the american one scared Sheap too much, (my fiancee's graff name, i'm not going to use her name anymore,) and she is scared to watch the original.

If it's still on there, S&Man is fucking DOPE (pronounced Sandman.)
It's an actual documentary with a creepy twist.

I LOOOOOVE horror, but it has to be PERFECT, so i'm rarely ever satisfied.
My favorites are Paranormal Activity 1 and 2, Insidious 1 and 2, The Conjuring, The Devil Inside, and Occulus.
I feel that Paranormal set off a veritable renaissance in horror films...ghosts over gore...and i hope it continues.

elevenism
06-10-2014, 06:28 AM
by the way, i LOVED "The Pervert's Guide To Ideology."
It's more of a lecture than a documentary, but a highly entertaining and enlightening lecture.

Due to Sheap's recent case of Anglophilia, we happened upon a British tv show version of Robin Hood that looks very promising.

And...new episodes of Orange is the New Black!!!!

I've watched a few, and they are good, except for they don't focus on Piper, which is odd to me.

Jinsai
06-13-2014, 03:18 AM
Thank you so much for the list, @Jinsai (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=272) !
i've seen about half of those. I haven't seen Re-Animator, Grave Encounters, Legend of Hell House, Henry, Existenz, or 11/11/11.

Run out and watch Re-Animator ASAP.

Watch all those movies before 11/11/11, which I only included because it's astonishing how bad it is. It's a serious contender for "worst film I've ever seen," but it's hard to hate it because it's absolutely hilarious if you're in the mood for that sort of thing.

I feel that Paranormal set off a veritable renaissance in horror films...ghosts over gore...and i hope it continues.

Have you seen the original version of The Haunting?

elevenism
06-13-2014, 03:45 AM
Run out and watch Re-Animator ASAP.

Have you seen the original version of The Haunting?

i haven't seen The Haunting, but i read the book when i was pretty young...i found it to be pretty damn scary.
I watched grave encounters, eXistenZ, and Henry, and dug those.

Oh, BTW, i caught one called Here Comes The Devil...it was genuinely creepy, for real, plus it has the unique distinction of being one of the few Mexican films i've seen.

I watched A Band Called Death last night, and it was VERY fucking moving, man. Jinsai , as a fellow musician, i urge you to watch that one.

Jinsai
06-14-2014, 02:12 PM
the original Haunting (1963) is one of my favorite movies. It's a slow burn, and some of its spooky tropes are dated (in a way that I actually think is endearing), but it's awesome. I don't think it's on Netflix anymore, but you can rent it on Amazon streaming for a few dollars.

I'll check out that movie later today, once I get all this work done.

DF118
06-14-2014, 02:47 PM
1963's The Haunting was the first film to properly scare me. The scene in which Elanor realizes something else is holding her hand was a perfect creepy moment. A shame that it loses focus somewhat in the third act, however.

elevenism
06-15-2014, 01:55 AM
i remember the House (haunting? house on haunted hill, right? jesus, it was a long time ago) book scaring the shit out of me...
"whatever walked there...walked alone."

such stark words. I'm gonna watch the movie soon.

Dra508
06-15-2014, 06:54 AM
Watched Eddie Murphy's Delirious last night. Holy shit I did not realize how homophobic and misogynistic his act was! Then I watched 48 Hours, a film I liked, the sound track helped a lot. What? Nick Nolte called Eddie Murphy "watermelon" ? The 80's weren't as evolved as I thought. :(

elevenism
06-17-2014, 02:20 AM
orange is the new black
is SO dope...so engrossing...i binge watched most of the new season.
it sucks to wait a year for new episodes.

onthewall2983
06-17-2014, 06:20 PM
I finished the 2nd season today. I think House of Cards is better, but this show is certainly up to that standard.

pigpen
06-17-2014, 08:38 PM
Watched Eddie Murphy's Delirious last night. Holy shit I did not realize how homophobic and misogynistic his act was! Then I watched 48 Hours, a film I liked, the sound track helped a lot. What? Nick Nolte called Eddie Murphy "watermelon" ? The 80's weren't as evolved as I thought. :(

I thought the same thing. I was pretty disappointed in what I was seeing, after having heard his specials be regarded as some of the best out there.
I mean, maybe they're a sign of the times or something, but I didn't really find a lot of humor in what he was saying.. Well, except for the "Hey Nigger, Pay for my candy" part.. That will always be funny to me..

elevenism
06-18-2014, 01:15 AM
i watched eddie murphy raw like ten years ago...i thought it was fucking hilarious.

and hell, we aren't that evolved in the 201x's either...
I was watching house today and house called foreman a scarecrow and told him to go buy a watermelon farm. that shit kinda shocked me.

oh so is world war z any good? we just watched it but i fell asleep.

allegro
06-18-2014, 08:04 AM
Raw isn't as bad as Delirious. I think Raw is also funnier than Delirious, but I saw it IN THE 80s so my opinion may be tainted by the 80s.

sentient02970
06-18-2014, 08:25 AM
I saw it IN THE 80s so my opinion my be tainted by the 80s.

Hahaha! This is so true. The 80's was a weird decade for me too. I'll go back and watch TV shows from then which I thought were amazing then...yeah, not so amazing.

Been crawling my way, disc by disc (BluRay) through Game Of Thrones. I do, in a way, appreciate the pace of using Netflix DVD delivery for shows like this. I'm not sure I could do this show in "marathon format".

jessamineny
06-18-2014, 09:45 AM
I have my friend's old iPad while my laptop is being repaired, and his HBO Go is on here. I'm afraid to dive into GOT for that very reason. I am, however, using his Netflix to binge the hell out of Orange is the New Black and Dexter. :)

Blackbookpress1984
06-19-2014, 12:21 PM
Good on Netflix:

Mimic
spaceballs
Orange is the new black is strangely satisfying.

Blackbookpress1984
06-19-2014, 12:22 PM
oh so is world war z any good? we just watched it but i fell asleep.

iT WAS AMAZING.

Dra508
06-19-2014, 05:13 PM
Raw isn't as bad as Delirious. I think Raw is also funnier than Delirious, but I saw it IN THE 80s so my opinion may be tainted by the 80s.

There are several bits in Raw are amazing. Ice Cream and his story about his Dad being drunk was hilarious. I wish he would have another go at stand up and stick with stories like that- he's really funny with that stuff.

On the third episode of Orange Is The New Black...

sentient02970
06-19-2014, 06:00 PM
As a kid I memorized just about every bit off of my Raw cassette tape. I can still just about word for word recite the drunk dad bit. I was a lonely kid.

allegro
06-19-2014, 09:37 PM
As a kid I memorized just about every bit off of my Raw cassette tape. I can still just about word for word recite the drunk dad bit. I was a lonely kid.
I saw "Delirious" at a movie theater in the West Bank area of NOLA in 83 LOL.

My fave was the Michael Jackson imitation: "Tito, get me some tissue."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-moqlaAI_k

There are several bits in Raw are amazing. Ice Cream ...
Ice Cream Man is from Delirious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg-csjbwo5s

Eddie really was funny, damn, wtf happened to him.

thevoid99
06-19-2014, 11:01 PM
I love the Ice Cream man bit. That put me in tears as well as some of the movies he did in the 80s. What did happen to him?

allegro
06-19-2014, 11:24 PM
I love the Ice Cream man bit. That put me in tears as well as some of the movies he did in the 80s. What did happen to him?
I dunno, man, but it bums me out, he was so funny (https://screen.yahoo.com/james-browns-celebrity-hot-tub-000000926.html)

Dra508
06-23-2014, 05:53 PM
I saw "Delirious" at a movie theater in the West Bank area of NOLA in 83 LOL.

My fave was the Michael Jackson imitation: "Tito, get me some tissue."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-moqlaAI_k

Ice Cream Man is from Delirious

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg-csjbwo5s

Eddie really was funny, damn, wtf happened to him.

Right, right. I had watched all of Delirious and faded out with Raw.

I think Eddie got married, had kids, and thought his talent was doing those films where he plays more than one role. It'd be nice if he tried a bit of standup again.

I liked him in Shrek. He has it in him to be funny again.

Oh, binge watched Orange Is The New Black. We predicted half the plot turns. Still like the characters.

sentient02970
06-24-2014, 06:56 AM
Watched the entire season of Ramsay's Best Restaurant over the past few days. Now I'm finding myself shopping for food I wouldn't have normally batted an eye at.

elevenism
06-26-2014, 02:23 PM
Oh, hey, the Ink Master show was pretty damn cool...you know, a reality show, survivor or american idol style, but with tattoo artists.
I just don't understand why the fuck dave navarro gets to be a judge. I swear he will do anything to be on tv for a minute. Shut up and play your guitar, you pretentious...ahhh i'll shut up. i LOVE jane's addiction, he just gets on my damn nerves!
but the show was well entertaining.

The new Bonnie and Clyde was really badass.

And The Source Family, about the cult, is awesome. It's a new take on a doc about a cult, told mostly by members who were NOT disgruntled, who did NOT leave...it gives it a wildly different tone.

@sentient02970 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/444-sentient02970) , what is the Restaurant show all about?

elevenism
07-01-2014, 06:51 PM
The bonnie and clyde movie is great.

ibanez33
07-03-2014, 01:43 AM
Just got the Hola Unblocker add-on for Firefox so I can watch all of the shit we don't get on Canadian Netflix. Currently going through all of the great stand-up specials I've been missing, wish I got this thing a long time ago!

xmd 5a
07-03-2014, 02:51 AM
Through the magic of Hola Unblocker I got a subscription last night (Netflix is otherwise completely inaccessible in Australia). This is fantastic! I feel like a bit of a chump for wasting so much money on the overpriced and under-delivering monopolistic excuse for subscription TV we have Down Under.

elevenism
07-03-2014, 07:40 AM
Through the magic of Hola Unblocker I got a subscription last night (Netflix is otherwise completely inaccessible in Australia). This is fantastic! I feel like a bit of a chump for wasting so much money on the overpriced and under-delivering monopolistic excuse for subscription TV we have Down Under.
Dude, welcome to the coolest tv set-up in the world.
I fucking love netflix. It may not have all the hot new movies, but it is chock full of great documentaries, independent movies you wouldn't otherwise know about, and tv series you can sink your teeth into.

Lore and i plugged in our roku box like 2 years ago and haven't watched regular tv since.

Does anyone else use roku?

ibanez33
07-04-2014, 01:28 AM
Dude, welcome to the coolest tv set-up in the world.
I fucking love netflix. It may not have all the hot new movies, but it is chock full of great documentaries, independent movies you wouldn't otherwise know about, and tv series you can sink your teeth into.

Lore and i plugged in our roku box like 2 years ago and haven't watched regular tv since.

Does anyone else use roku?

This is the first time I've heard someone talk about Roku without anything negative to say about it. Never used it myself, but everyone I know who has used it seemed to really dislike it.

Millionaire
07-04-2014, 07:29 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucz3JpvDQjk

elevenism
07-04-2014, 08:01 AM
This is the first time I've heard someone talk about Roku without anything negative to say about it. Never used it myself, but everyone I know who has used it seemed to really dislike it.
i fucking LOVE my roku.
i don't understand what could possibly be bad about it...
700+ channels of movies and music, and a shitload of them are free...
it's damn near my favorite thing i have ever owned.

Millionaire
07-09-2014, 06:28 AM
I'm regularly watching Star Trek: The Next Generation, one of my most compulsively watchable shows ever. I love the mix of smart, serious ideas and pure, unapologetic cheese, sometimes in the same episode. The distinct way they combine the two is something I miss in the new movies, which are geared more to the modern blockbuster audience. The show continues to be a lot of fun, through the good and bad episodes.

Just saw Sound City, which has some great scenes of world-class musicians jamming. I always enjoy seeing footage of musicians I like going through the process of creation, and this has some good stuff. I'd like to see that Reznor/Grohl/Homme combo keep going and see what more they can come up with.

Triplettes of Beleville is streaming, which I like, but more so for its art and animation style than its story. I wish there were more animation films that try to give themselves a distinct look like this does. They do show up every once in a while, like this, or Mind Game, or Wizards. Animation is, in a way, the genre with the most potential for creativity, but the one that limits itself the most.

sentient02970
07-09-2014, 08:08 AM
I've tried every other channel but Netflix (like PBS or FOX) and it just sits and says "fetching data" every time I select a show to watch. I'm not real happy with it yet.

ibanez33
07-10-2014, 12:40 AM
Just saw Sound City, which has some great scenes of world-class musicians jamming. I always enjoy seeing footage of musicians I like going through the process of creation, and this has some good stuff. I'd like to see that Reznor/Grohl/Homme combo keep going and see what more they can come up with.

Or they could just get Trent in on the next Them Crooked Vultures album. Awww yesss that'd be amazing.

elevenism
07-19-2014, 01:12 PM
Conspiracy was the shit, especially if you like conspiracy theory.

elevenism
07-19-2014, 01:13 PM
I've tried every other channel but Netflix (like PBS or FOX) and it just sits and says "fetching data" every time I select a show to watch. I'm not real happy with it yet.

oh and...that blows!
i'm sorry. perhaps your wifi is not strong enough? :( i swear to god my roku is like my favorite thing ive ever owned other than musical equipment

elevenism
08-02-2014, 07:42 AM
the believer is pretty interesting, about a Jew who is a neo-nazi.

heavenly_bearded
08-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Vudu > Netflix all day every day

Throw_it_away9
08-02-2014, 07:00 PM
Peep Show is hilarious!

Can't go wrong with a sitcom with Harvey Danger's Flagpole Sitta as the theme song!

elevenism
08-02-2014, 11:01 PM
Vudu > Netflix all day every day

But don't you have to pay movie by movie on Vudu? i used it a few times when i had some free access codes. I like netflix because it is only $8 a month. And because they don't get all the big releases, i wind up finding and watching independent gems that i wouldn't have otherwise known about.

A Teacher was a really cool indie movie about a hs english teacher having an affair with a student.

Snow on Da Bluff is back on, and i HIGHLY recommend it. It is a hyper-real gangster movie done in found footage style.

heavenly_bearded
08-03-2014, 12:04 AM
But don't you have to pay movie by movie on Vudu? i used it a few times when i had some free access codes. I like netflix because it is only $8 a month. And because they don't get all the big releases, i wind up finding and watching independent gems that i wouldn't have otherwise known about.

A Teacher was a really cool indie movie about a hs english teacher having an affair with a student.

Snow on Da Bluff is back on, and i HIGHLY recommend it. It is a hyper-real gangster movie done in found footage style.

Vudu is a free service but you have to either buy the movies direct or link an Ultraviolet account. I have friends that collect blu rays and don't use uv so they give be their codes. Or you can buy them on forums for $1-$5. Way bigger selection. New releases. I have a 70" Sony 3d smart tv and Netflix runs most of their stuff in 720 or even 480, not good enough for me. Vudu offers 1080p on almost everything and is almost blu ray quality. I have 6 accounts all linked, 8 devices per account. So 48 devices I can stream from. A ton of people use my account. If you want to try it out I can give access to my secondary account. Not as much as my main account but there is still over 2000 movies and 50 tv series. Just drop me a pm.

elevenism
08-09-2014, 07:41 AM
sentient02970 , did you ever get yer roku going?

Throw_it_away9
08-10-2014, 05:08 PM
Just watched Velvet Goldmine for the first time last night w/the gf. Loved that movie.

I'm also a big Placebo fan, and I've known that they were in a movie but didn't know that it was this one. Loved getting to see them play a song as well.

Such a good original score too!

sentient02970
08-11-2014, 07:05 AM
@sentient02970 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=444) , did you ever get yer roku going?
I hadn't retried PBS or FOX since the slow performance issues. I also hadn't tried since my internet provider upgraded my hardware so I'll have to give it another go.

elevenism
08-12-2014, 01:02 PM
I hadn't retried PBS or FOX since the slow performance issues. I also hadn't tried since my internet provider upgraded my hardware so I'll have to give it another go.
let me know if you get it going...we haven't watched regular tv in two years...roku only.

i can turn you on to which channels are good.

edit:which channels WE like anyway

sentient02970
08-13-2014, 08:11 AM
elevenism Thanks!

Actually I'm not that much interested in the FOX channel anymore now that Netflix has COSMOS. That was all I wanted that for anyway.

elevenism
08-14-2014, 01:10 AM
Ooooooh sentient02970 , are you talking about the Neil Tyson DeGrasse version of the Carl Sagan documentaries?
I sure hope so!

Also, check out my post in the Roku thread i made. I review my favorite roku channels. There is a lot of content, and a lot of FREE content at that.

Dra508
08-14-2014, 08:35 PM
The Trip. I enjoyed it. Especially their Woody Allen impressions.

elevenism
09-08-2014, 12:18 PM
I may have already said it, but Sons of Anarchy.
That, Dexter, Lost and Buffy are my favorites.
Angel is pretty damn good too.

elevenism
09-08-2014, 12:29 PM
Oh yeah and The Unbelievers is pretty cool...it's a richard dawkins atheism thing.
i like having my beliefs challenged.

plus they play complication in it (by nin,) the whole thing!

sentient02970
09-08-2014, 01:08 PM
Re-watching the entire Star Trek The Original Series is so much fun.

orestes
09-09-2014, 06:26 AM
. . .until season three. ;)

Fractal04
09-10-2014, 05:34 PM
I can finally watch all Black Adder! That alone is worth it! :)

Findus
09-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Happy Valley is quite good.

elevenism
10-17-2014, 07:34 PM
heavenly_bearded , i can't respond to your message because your inbox is full.
So perhaps i can speak vaugely enough to respond here...
So...yeah, i understand about the primary thing.
That wasn't my goal...we just wanted to say thank you, man.

Baphomette
10-17-2014, 10:07 PM
Example Short 23.976 Burned In Timecode Remote Content = Best Netflix original EVER.

onthewall2983
10-23-2014, 09:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=de50trNEvf8

Throw_it_away9
10-27-2014, 05:34 PM
Just got into Lillyhammer a couple of weeks back. Always loved Sil on The Sopranos, so I figured, eh, I'll give it a chance. BLOWN AWAY! I would highly recommend, even if you're not into the whole mob/gangster kinda thing, or at the same time, if you're really into that and worried that it's not hardcore enough, this should deliver on both sides.

I am very pleased that it's more comedic than Sopranos. Plus I have this love of Scandinavia that makes it just a thrill to watch. Aaaand it could be the transplant Californian in me that looks at the snow and says, 'oh wow, I miss that.'

elevenism
11-14-2014, 11:44 PM
Loving the fact that criminal minds is there now.

Darknet is fucking awesome.

Sorry i haven't been posting here as much... i used to post everything i watch.
i've been watching a lot of vudu and plex.

Dra508
11-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Getting ready to binge watch The Fall.

EDIT: What? 5 episodes?

profane
11-16-2014, 08:53 AM
I've recently got Netflix (I use US DNS on my tv) and some evenings I would like to watch a movie but find myself scrolling through this vast wilderness of options. I would love if I could get some recommendations. I like just about any genre, but I like to be challenged more then snacking popcorn. Thanks in advance!

Throw_it_away9
11-17-2014, 02:26 PM
I don't think it's been mentioned on here, but The X Files has all 9 seasons on Netflix.

I've been re-watching it and listening to The X Files Files (http://www.feralaudio.com/show/x-files-files/) - which is some good podcast listening
[not Netflix related I know, but a great companion to your X Files viewing]. Check it out.

Baphomette
11-18-2014, 03:22 AM
I've recently got Netflix (I use US DNS on my tv) and some evenings I would like to watch a movie but find myself scrolling through this vast wilderness of options. I would love if I could get some recommendations. I like just about any genre, but I like to be challenged more then snacking popcorn. Thanks in advance!Did you read the entire thread? It's chock full of recommendations.

Oh and PEAKY FUCKING BLINDERS. So awesome. Season 2 was just added the other day.

profane
11-18-2014, 02:42 PM
Did you read the entire thread? It's chock full of recommendations.

Oh and PEAKY FUCKING BLINDERS. So awesome. Season 2 was just added the other day.
Damn I'm lazy, only 6 pages in the browser and 17 in tapatalk and I thought f it [emoji51]

Dra508
11-18-2014, 03:26 PM
I watched the first episode of Happy Valley. Not sure if I should continue.

Blackbookpress1984
11-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Anybody else watch "Snowpiercer" on Netflix recently and think it was actually pretty awesome?

Bachy
11-18-2014, 04:42 PM
Did you read the entire thread? It's chock full of recommendations.

Finished season 2 yesterday. Way better than the first. Tom Hardy was fantastic.

elevenism
11-19-2014, 12:25 PM
Anybody else watch "Snow Piercer" on Netflix recently and think it was actually pretty awesome?

I thought it was fucking great. :)
profane , the 5 best tv shows, in my opinion, are Lost, Dexter, Sons of Anarchy, Orange is the New Black, and Lillyhammer. Ok, 6...American Horror Stories.

Netflix doesn't have all the hot new movies due to licensing issues, but there are some AMAZING independent gems, documentaries, older films, and they do get SOME of the hot-ticket movies.

fortheloveofgod
11-20-2014, 06:30 AM
Started watching Twin Peaks and Derek. Derek is dry as hell but a good watch.

Dra508
11-20-2014, 01:11 PM

Mid way through season 1. I love historic pieces. Ciliian Murphy is really good.

Dra508
11-28-2014, 07:54 PM
I finished the second season of Peaky Blinders. Yes, Tom Hardy really shredded the scenery, Cillian Murphy was awesome, I loved historical context. Episode 5 really failed. The story gotten driven so fast for plot purposes it was not very believable. Final episode - holy crap - redemption.

elevenism
11-29-2014, 12:15 PM
Lilyhammer or however they spell it (i think the town is actually LILLEhammer,) anyway, there are new episodes and it's fucking awesome.

my wifey said that Hawking is great.

Throw_it_away9
11-29-2014, 12:30 PM
Lilyhammer or however they spell it (i think the town is actually LILLEhammer,) anyway, there are new episodes and it's fucking awesome.

Can't get enough of this show!

Throw_it_away9
11-30-2014, 05:52 PM
Oh yeah and The Unbelievers is pretty cool...it's a richard dawkins atheism thing.
i like having my beliefs challenged.

plus they play complication in it (by nin,) the whole thing!

Complication was for sure one of my fav parts of the flic.

And they also played one of the few Radiohead songs I know by name and like: 'jigsaws falling into place'

onthewall2983
11-30-2014, 05:54 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2klCnCBHFA

This just went up, and I watched it right away. Very engaging and at times disturbing doc.

Dra508
12-01-2014, 04:08 PM
^^^^ Oh, thanks for the heads-up. It still blows my mind that that man's brother was a very powerful state politician for many years who never gave Whitey up (from what we know).

And those accents.

Dra508
12-02-2014, 04:31 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2klCnCBHFA

This just went up, and I watched it right away. Very engaging and at times disturbing doc.
It was a pretty good documentary. Not a ton of new information for me. I do like that the film maker committment to saying that the FBI was corrupt and explaining specifically how. I recall during the trial, the public was lead to believe that Whitely was going to testify. I listened to that reporter David Boreri many days. Whitey's lawyer JW Carney has been involved in a lot of high profile trials including representing a group of sex abuse victims suing the Boston Catholic archdiocese.

The untold story related to Steven Rakes is that he was murdered by an "associate" who I believe, owed him money. They met up for a ice coffee and this guy spiked it with cyanide. (http://www.cbsnews.com/news/stephen-rakes-update-death-of-potential-witness-in-whitey-bulgers-trial-ruled-as-cyanide-poisoning-officials-say/)

I saw the trailer for Marco Polo which is coming out soon.
http://youtu.be/B4d6zUIxfes

elevenism
12-03-2014, 04:01 AM
the whitey doc kinda bored me but i don't think i was in the right mood for it.

theruiner
12-19-2014, 01:23 PM
Anyone else watching Black Mirror? I had heard people raving about this show so I gave it a shot. The first two episodes are fantastic. The second two are not very good. I haven't watched the last two yet, will probably get to them this weekend but after the third and fourth episodes my enthusiasm has waned.

For those who haven't seen it, it's like a modern day version of The Twilight Zone except without any supernatural elements and focusing on how technology can have a dark side in our lives. That sounds awfully bland, I know, but the first two episodes are worth checking out. Not sure about the last two yet.

Digital Twilight
12-19-2014, 02:51 PM
I just watched Robot & Frank and I can't recommend it enough. Such a quirky, wonderful little film with an amazing performance from Frank Langella.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jZlSfsE730

orestes
12-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Pee-Wee's Playhouse!

Findus
12-20-2014, 12:46 AM
It's Such a Beautiful Day

orestes
12-21-2014, 07:02 PM
Ragnarok, lol.

skullboy0
12-22-2014, 10:00 AM
Anyone else watching Black Mirror? I had heard people raving about this show so I gave it a shot. The first two episodes are fantastic. The second two are not very good. I haven't watched the last two yet, will probably get to them this weekend but after the third and fourth episodes my enthusiasm has waned.

For those who haven't seen it, it's like a modern day version of The Twilight Zone except without any supernatural elements and focusing on how technology can have a dark side in our lives. That sounds awfully bland, I know, but the first two episodes are worth checking out. Not sure about the last two yet.

Weird, I LOVED the first one & didn't really care for the second, I just didn't understand why the cycling was a thing which threw me off. Out of the last two I liked the first one better, although much like the cycling after the "big reveal" of what's really going on it didn't seem very practical to me.

Need to track down the Christmas special as I don't know when it will be released legally here in the states.

Swykk
12-22-2014, 10:05 AM
Nick Offerman's new stand up special is pretty good (and I'm a vegetarian).

theruiner
12-22-2014, 10:38 AM
Speaking of stand up, I watched Bill Burr's new special over the weekend (I'm Sorry You Feel That Way) and it was really funny! I wasn't crazy about the sexist jokes or the transphobic joke (really?!) but they were a small part of the special. Overall, though, it was really good. Worth watching.

Weird, I LOVED the first one & didn't really care for the second, I just didn't understand why the cycling was a thing which threw me off. Out of the last two I liked the first one better, although much like the cycling after the "big reveal" of what's really going on it didn't seem very practical to me.Seriously! What was the deal with the cycling? I guess it was just a gym? I don't know. The world itself didn't entirely make sense to me. Maybe it was supposed to be ambiguous and confusing in some ways, I don't know.

I just finished the 5th episode last night. It was really good until the last 15 minutes or so, which I had mixed feelings on. I would still say the episode was pretty good, but I wish the last 15 minutes had gone a different direction. So far the only episodes I really enjoyed were the first two.

skullboy0
12-22-2014, 03:27 PM
Seriously! What was the deal with the cycling? I guess it was just a gym? I don't know. The world itself didn't entirely make sense to me. Maybe it was supposed to be ambiguous and confusing in some ways, I don't know.

I just finished the 5th episode last night. It was really good until the last 15 minutes or so, which I had mixed feelings on. I would still say the episode was pretty good, but I wish the last 15 minutes had gone a different direction. So far the only episodes I really enjoyed were the first two.

I was trying to reply to this with Spoiler tags but it wasn't working on my end, this would be my first time using them, do the Spoiler tags not show for the original poster?

Swykk
12-23-2014, 08:14 AM
Pee-Wee's Playhouse!

Speaking of Pee Wee, Judd Apatow is producing a NEW Pee Wee movie for Netflix!!!

elevenism
12-23-2014, 10:17 PM
theruiner , and skullboy0 , i LOVED Black Mirror and oddly enough, i thought the episodes got better rather than worse.

Somebody do me a favor and pm me if you find the xmas special

Dra508
12-24-2014, 04:13 PM
Speaking of stand up, I watched Bill Burr's new special over the weekend (I'm Sorry You Feel That Way) and it was really funny! I wasn't crazy about the sexist jokes or the transphobic joke (really?!) but they were a small part of the special. Overall, though, it was really good. Worth watching.Thanks for commenting on the Bill Burr special. I love his routine, angry Boston single dude and all. He does tell the truth in a loud sort of way. The whole MMA fighting bit made me wonder what you'd think. He's point is pretty valid: for him, he can't help but see it as an unfair fight. He just can't.

Other than that - the NFL draft jokes were pretty good. His take on religion and leaving it like a curling rock made me laugh hard.

Dra508
12-27-2014, 07:30 PM
I don't see any that I really have to see: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/braveheart-and-breakfast-club-among-60-titles-leaving-netflix-on-jan-1-2014-12-17?page=1

onthewall2983
12-27-2014, 07:47 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=930-WGuRJu0

Dra508
01-19-2015, 08:30 AM
Halfway through season 2 of The Fall. No one likes Gillian Anderson?

bethylfan
01-19-2015, 12:21 PM
Due to being laid up on disability, I have a seemingly illegal amount of time to stare at my TV screen, so here goes:

Sons of Anarchy
Breaking Bad
Haven
House
Burn Notice
Fringe
Supernatural
X-Files
Twilight Zone
The River (only had one season, and I dont know ANYONE that has watched it, but beware it is a found footage show like the Paranormal Activity movies were

onthewall2983
02-09-2015, 01:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRnS8FkcXNk

onthewall2983
02-25-2015, 02:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFC5IRuNGsI

Tums206_BFY
02-26-2015, 12:13 PM
I got really sick this past weekend, especially on Friday and I decided to watch Bojack Horseman so I got through the whole first season and the Christmas special and gotta say I was pleasantly surprised! I am not a big fan of Will Arnett by any means but he was great and the cast was pretty awesome too. I was surprised on how serialized the show was didn't really expect that, thought it would be mostly stand alones with a loose concept. Anyways a good adult cartoon to check out if you ever need to watch anything, only 25 minute episodes so easy to binge watch.

Now getting ready for this weekend and House of Cards season 3!

Dra508
02-26-2015, 01:26 PM
Working on getting through Sebastien Junger's Restrepo. I keep on getting interrupted.

Ohmahgawd The mountains in Afghanistan is beautiful.

sentient02970
02-26-2015, 02:23 PM
Working on getting through Sebastien Junger's Restrepo. I keep on getting interrupted.

Ohmahgawd The mountains in Afghanistan is beautiful.

I only got a bit of the way into it but really like what I've seen so far. This on the heels of having read The Outpost by Jake Tapper earlier this year it gave visual to the hell that can be fighting in that type of terrain. I'd like to finish watching it before I start in on Korengal.

Right now I've been tag-teaming between alternating episodes of Prison Break (which I had started watching about 2 years ago) to Star Trek (started through TOS, the early movies and now just started TNG...ok I'm kind of a dork with this as I'm trying to watch all available Star Trek genre in release order). Prison Break isn't too bad, it's like 24 with MacGyvers. ST:TNG is far campier than I remember (first intro of the Ferengi:good lord) but I still like it a lot.

Jon
03-02-2015, 08:14 AM
Looks like Cartoon Network is going away March 31. Much of the time the contracts get renegotiated, but I wouldn't hold your breath for this one. :(

Dra508
03-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Last night I got blocked from watching because two other screens were watching two shows. Nice move Netflix, upsell me a third screen for $4 additional per month.

Baphomette
03-03-2015, 01:27 AM
Last night I got blocked from watching because two other screens were watching two shows. Nice move Netflix, upsell me a third screen for $4 additional per month.That's weird. I got three by default. I've got one TV (which I use), one 'puter (which my dad uses) and one phone (which my friend uses). Are you using all the platforms or are you using one twice?

Dra508
03-03-2015, 04:24 PM
That's weird. I got three by default. I've got one TV (which I use), one 'puter (which my dad uses) and one phone (which my friend uses). Are you using all the platforms or are you using one twice?I believe it was two different shows going on two different 'puters. When I tried to watch a third show on my iPad, I got the notice. Hmmmmm.

Dra508
03-09-2015, 05:17 PM

Ohmahgawd The mountains in Afghanistan is beautiful.I finished this and really liked it for a few reasons: It was pretty unstructured in that the story is really only the time spent with this one group of people in the Korengal valley. It wasn't dramatic like a hollywood movie, the engagements with the Taliban seemed were expected and almost casual. These kids (really) were just doing a job, the reality of immediate death of their own humanizes them both in bare emotions and steely resolve to push past the trauma. I wish more people would see this film rather than American Sniper.

I think I'll give The Red Road a look. I see that their is a second season coming in April.

onthewall2983
03-23-2015, 12:12 AM
Bloodline is really fucking good.

Deadpool
03-23-2015, 01:01 AM
Yesterday, I watched a great Lance Armstrong documentary called Stop At Nothing – surprisingly, I liked it more than The Armstrong Lie, probably because it does a better job of showing the bigger picture, and not just one guy's personal relationship with Armstrong. It's very good.

I also watched Force Majeure today, which I've been meaning to see since Edgar Wright recommended it, and it's a fine film. Highly ambiguous and pretty slow, but beautifully shot and well acted. It stealthily latches on to you.

Lastly, I started The Invisible War (a doc dealing with rape in the Armed Forces) earlier. I'm only a half hour in and it's already infuriating, but compelling, too.

Dra508
03-23-2015, 09:04 AM
Bloodline is really fucking good.I'm three episodes in. I'm getting frustrated by the flashbacks. Just tell me what happened!!!

I never watched Friday Night Lights so don't really have any hangup on Kyle whatshisname so overall, I really like the casting. Even the dude from Rescue Me.

Dra508
03-29-2015, 10:26 AM
I finished Bloodlines. Highly recommend. The story could have gotten really stupid with one "monster" but instead everyone is good and bad in some way. I was wondering how they could possibly make another season, but they definitely left the door open for another story.

Wolfkiller
03-29-2015, 10:47 AM
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt is the best show ever

Baphomette
03-30-2015, 01:43 AM
I watched Mad Men for the first time ever this weekend. Easily the most depressing show I've ever seen and I don't think I'm gonna continue any further (I stopped after S2Ep2).

Lew
03-30-2015, 11:46 AM
can't find trailer park boys thread...
enjoying the new season, but my friend says it is too slow.
'fuck slut" is our word of the week now.
lol.

Dra508
03-30-2015, 02:57 PM
I watched Mad Men for the first time ever this weekend. Easily the most depressing show I've ever seen and I don't think I'm gonna continue any further (I stopped after S2Ep2).That's about where I stopped awhile back too.

Baphomette
04-07-2015, 03:52 AM
That's about where I stopped awhile back too.I retract. On season 5. Still depressing but that Don/Peggy episode from season 4 was just THE BEST.

onthewall2983
04-28-2015, 10:49 AM
https://youtu.be/Gh0nIWg7EvI

october_midnight
05-07-2015, 02:43 PM
New series 'Sense8' from the Wachowski's debuts June 5th and looks pretty great.

Article. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/everything-you-need-to-know-about-netflixs-new-show-sense8?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgz#.bbZ70x8Yk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKpKAlbJ7BQ

Dra508
05-19-2015, 05:39 PM
Netflix Original: Gracie and Frankie.

Jane Fonda and Lily Tomlin are great together. This is not a rip on 9 to 5. Martin Sheen and Sam Waterson do only marginally as a couple (only up to the 4th episode). That part disappoints me.

Brooklyn Decker is pretty good too. I haven't seen any of her acting work.

Rabbit
06-02-2015, 10:04 PM
New series 'Sense8' from the Wachowski's debuts June 5th and looks pretty great.

Article. (http://www.buzzfeed.com/emilyorley/everything-you-need-to-know-about-netflixs-new-show-sense8?bffb&utm_term=4ldqpgz#.bbZ70x8Yk)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKpKAlbJ7BQ

Really excited for this.

Liquid_Bastard
06-02-2015, 10:36 PM
Sense8 actually looks good. Think it will make up for how laughably bad Jupiter Ascending?

sentient02970
06-04-2015, 04:42 AM
My girlfriend has got me back into watching Orange Is The New Black. There are some tiresome plot streams but I'm overall very impressed with the acting and how the show is rolling out through Season 2 in general.

As a counter-point, I'm back to watching Sons Of Anarchy after stopping at Season 3 a while back. It's ridiculous but a fun ride.

Dra508
06-05-2015, 11:46 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKpKAlbJ7BQWell I know what I'm watching this weekend.
sentient02970, OITNB season 3 comes out next Friday.

Rabbit
06-05-2015, 12:26 PM
Sense8 actually looks good. Think it will make up for how laughably bad Jupiter Ascending?
Jupiter Ascending was incredible fun. I can't believe how many people didn't realize what it was

Dra508
06-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Half way through Sense8. Pretty good story, amazing photography, a bit violent and lots of gratuitous secks of all types.

Rabbit
06-06-2015, 08:32 PM
Half way through Sense8. Pretty good story, amazing photography, a bit violent and lots of gratuitous secks of all types.
I still don't know how i truly feel about it. There are moments of such passion and beauty but i think the story is taking way too long to get going. It's a pretty ballsy show which is nuts that it's taking this long of a build up. Are they that confident they'll be getting another season?

Dra508
06-06-2015, 10:20 PM
I still don't know how i truly feel about it. There are moments of such passion and beauty but i think the story is taking way too long to get going. It's a pretty ballsy show which is nuts that it's taking this long of a build up. Are they that confident they'll be getting another season?

Gahhh I'm at episode 9! There has to be closure!

frankie teardrop
06-06-2015, 10:31 PM
late to the black mirror party but i LOVED it... every episode was great except for the waldo episode, which was still enjoyable just didn't pack the same punch.

just found the one i love and thoroughly enjoyed it. what seems like a rom com on paper is actually a lighter mix of black mirror with a bit of being john malkovich-esque surrealism.

Dra508
06-11-2015, 02:42 PM
Finished Sense8. I enjoyed it. Save for floating off on a boat to avoid Whisper is not a complete end to their issues. Where are they going, why won't he be at the other end? Also, all the Senses in the circle do not share what's going on with them with anyone else except for Nomi. I can see for the story why she needed the help of her girl friend, but if you were her, would you believe that this woman is seeing and feeling all of this? I suppose since she had been in the hospital in the beginning, it's more plausible. I do think they wrapped the season to easily have another with this circle of Sense8 or another.

thelastdisciple
06-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Finished Sense8. I enjoyed it. Save for floating off on a boat to avoid Whisper is not a complete end to their issues. Where are they going, why won't he be at the other end? Also, all the Senses in the circle do not share what's going on with them with anyone else except for Nomi. I can see for the story why she needed the help of her girl friend, but if you were her, would you believe that this woman is seeing and feeling all of this? I suppose since she had been in the hospital in the beginning, it's more plausible. I do think they wrapped the season to easily have another with this circle of Sense8 or another.
He won't be at the other end waiting for them because his connection to the cluster was severed after Will drugged himself to sleep. Yeah that's something that bugged me how nobody save for Nomi and to an extent Will (although his partner mostly thought he was nuts) told anyone else about their connections. Also some of the characters barely ever connected with each other, Lito connected with the cluster the least i think.. there was the convo with Nomi and he used the Asian girl's martial arts skills and then i guess he and Wolfgang finally had a moment. I suppose the idea is just that there are stronger connections to specific people in the cluster like Riley and Will or Wolfgang and Kala. There seems to be stronger pairs within the cluster. Another thing is why didn't they ask questions more? a lot of them seemed to just come to terms with everything as if it's a natural phenomenon, i get that there were a lot of gradual experiences where they saw someone else in a mirror or suddenly they were in someone else's environment but you'd think they would have been freaking out a lot more than they were.

Dra508
06-11-2015, 04:15 PM
He won't be at the other end waiting for them because his connection to the cluster was severed after Will drugged himself to sleep. Yeah that's something that bugged me how nobody save for Nomi and to an extent Will (although his partner mostly thought he was nuts) told anyone else about their connections. Also some of the characters barely ever connected with each other, Lito connected with the cluster the least i think.. there was the convo with Nomi and he used the Asian girl's martial arts skills and then i guess he and Wolfgang finally had a moment. I suppose the idea is just that there are stronger connections to specific people in the cluster like Riley and Will or Wolfgang and Kala. There seems to be stronger pairs within the cluster. Another thing is why didn't they ask questions more? a lot of them seemed to just come to terms with everything as if it's a natural phenomenon, i get that there were a lot of gradual experiences where they saw someone else in a mirror or suddenly they were in someone else's environment but you'd think they would have been freaking out a lot more than they were.Severing the connection that was made by looking into his eyes is disconnected forever by being unconscious? That's weak, but I suppose how else are you going to get out of that mess. True about some sense8's being more useful and less. The Indian girl and the Mexican guy (can you tell I'm bad with names?) were the neediest characters until the final couple of episodes. His acting skills and her medical skills and that's about it. Bah - don't talk me out of liking this show! :P I loved the photography. Iceland was bad ass.

Enough! I still recommend it. What's next?

Edit: Orange Is The New Black of course. Loaded a few hours early.......

Rabbit
06-12-2015, 02:00 AM
Severing the connection that was made by looking into his eyes is disconnected forever by being unconscious? That's weak, but I suppose how else are you going to get out of that mess. True about some sense8's being more useful and less. The Indian girl and the Mexican guy (can you tell I'm bad with names?) were the neediest characters until the final couple of episodes. His acting skills and her medical skills and that's about it. Bah - don't talk me out of liking this show! :P I loved the photography. Iceland was bad ass.

Enough! I still recommend it. What's next?

Edit: Orange Is The New Black of course. Loaded a few hours early.......

Why is that weak? I think it makes sense. The things some people find to nitpick is astounding.

onthewall2983
06-12-2015, 09:19 AM
Am I crazy or was there a separate OITNB thread here?

Dra508
06-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Why is that weak? I think it makes sense. The things some people find to nitpick is astounding.Perhaps I have high expectations that a show like this one would have a more complex ending then sending them off on a boat If that's being a nitpicker, so be it.

@onthewall2983 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=389) I'm not sure, but I think OITNB talk is mostly in this thread, starting on the first page. I watched two episodes last night. Good set up explaining characters comings and goings for what appears to be a good story for the season. See what I did there @Rabbit (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1764) . ;)

Sarah K
06-14-2015, 02:47 PM
This has been by far my favorite season of OITNB. I'll probably finish it tonight because I've been a hermit the last few days.

Dra508
06-14-2015, 08:30 PM
This has been by far my favorite season of OITNB. I'll probably finish it tonight because I've been a hermit the last few days.

I'm getting through it two episodes at a time, that's about as long as my BF can sit still and he really likes this show. I agree the writing has been great. There's isn't one character I dislike,...... Yet.

Sarah K
06-14-2015, 08:53 PM
Yeah... I finished it. It was awesome. I really liked the first season. Season two felt weird to me. But this is just might be one of my favorite seasons of a show ever. I'll rewatch it down the road, and see if that is just the newness speaking right now.

cynicmuse
06-18-2015, 04:21 AM
I'm getting through it two episodes at a time, that's about as long as my BF can sit still and he really likes this show. I agree the writing has been great. There's isn't one character I dislike,...... Yet.
That's what I've enjoyed about OITNB the most; they've managed to give each character a multi-faceted existence. S3 has focused
on some of the minor characters and I was actually rooting for Pennsatucky this season, especially in the episode where Big Boo helped her realize that she had a problem and then helped her deal with said problem.

Swykk
06-18-2015, 08:03 AM
I hated OITNB season 3 so very much. As in, I'm done with the show. There's no way for that ship to right itself. It was cheesy and clichéd. I kind of expected a decline, as Kenji Kohan's Weeds sucked after season 3 but this was a way sharper decline than Weeds. That first season was so good and then season two wasn't quite as good but there were still very interesting things going on. This season went full on Atypical Women's Prison Grindhouse Tropes 101.

Sarah K
06-18-2015, 08:44 AM
And I'll just leave this here:

GOOD FUCKING GOD
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/7/25/1406315569761/7e5a3449-abce-45dd-92aa-1497ae51dc3a-620x372.jpeg

Swykk
06-18-2015, 08:57 AM
Yeah, she's cute. No real build up, no real story for her, though and she exists purely for that payoff (Chapman's revenge).

Sarah K
06-18-2015, 09:07 AM
Yeah. I really didn't understand what was happening when she showed up. It was like... "Oh hey, I'm new here" and then like 5 days later she was like "lol, getting out. BYE".

I was really confused. I should rewatch the episode where she appears, because I feel like I really missed something.

Swykk
06-18-2015, 09:11 AM
I'm really not trying to be a jerk and I think I even told you to start watching OITNB awhile back, but for serious, this last season was a colossal dick punch.

Sarah K
06-18-2015, 09:14 AM
Yeah, it might have been you. I REALLY enjoyed it, but even while watching it, I figured it would lose some people. I really, really liked getting the backstories from a lot of the characters. I like how Piper basically just seems part of an ensemble now, instead of being the main focus. I think it touched on some really great social issues, which I of coursed loved.

I even had the same thoughts about Jenji and Weeds when it just went completely off the fucking rails. I was waiting to hate this season, and it was by far my favorite.

neorev
06-18-2015, 02:26 PM
I can't wait for the new supernatural series based around the legend of the Montauk project that's coming in 2016.
I know it was suppose to be called "Montauk" but heard they're changing it.
Apparently Winona Ryder signed on as a main character and the folks behind "Wayward Pines" are bringing this to Netflix.
I live out on Long Island, we have a local legend about the town of Montauk on the east end that involves a secret military experimentation on children, invisibility cloaking, time travel and other crazy shit.
Montauk does have a crazy military base out there with a huge radar and antenna array, but it's closed to the public with buildings built into the hills over there.
You can see the radar and some of the buildings from the local parks that surround it, but it's apparently guarded and watched so folks won't try and break in.
I suggest you Google "Montauk Project" to learn about our island's little legend... it's sorta similar to the Philadelphia Experiment.
Apparently we were trying to bend lightwaves around military ships to make them invisible, but instead we opened up some time/space portal and the ship disappeared and when it came back the men on it were either dead or embedded into the ship.
I don't know how much of the legend that this show will actually include.
There's also a story about a chair/machine that we developed with the help of aliens that helped us manifest what we imagined.
And apparently it was being used for nefarious purposes, so someone imagined a monster for the machine to create and sabotaged the project when it destroyed the place and everything had to be shut down and sealed.
Fake... real... who cares... it's still a crazy story to search and read about.

elevenism
06-20-2015, 10:52 PM
I fucking ADORED OITNB season 3

Sense8 kicked ass.
neorev , how was Wayward Pines?

Baphomette
06-20-2015, 11:01 PM
I have to watch OITNB for work and it's making me want to blow my brains out, it's so fucking horribly depressing. UGH.

neorev
06-20-2015, 11:09 PM
I fucking ADORED OITNB season 3

Sense8 kicked ass.
neorev , how was Wayward Pines?

I haven't watched Wayward Pines yet
But I heard good things and comparisons to other shows/movies that peaked my interest

elevenism
06-20-2015, 11:28 PM
I have to watch OITNB for work and it's making me want to blow my brains out, it's so fucking horribly depressing. UGH.
season 3?

it's a strange show. i literally laughed and cried.

Hey has anyone watched Jericho? it sounds like my cup of tea, for real.