PDA

View Full Version : UK Tour 2014?

captainkurtz
08-27-2013, 11:51 AM
Apologies if this is in the wrong place...

Are we expecting the dates to be announced in the next few weeks? Normally is the case once the festival shows are out of the ways and with all the publicity recently and the record out next week it would make sense.

Hoping to Apollo type venues - not sure if they are big enough for arenas - didn't enjoy the 02 show in 2009, particularly. Not bad, by any stretch, but so much better at Brixton/Manc apollo...

[Shep]
08-27-2013, 06:14 PM
Dates will come as soon as they're finalised. Prob a few weeks into the tension tour.

And I'll think we'll get arenas again if we've been promised the full visuals

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

slave2thewage
08-27-2013, 07:10 PM
I thought he was being cagey about that kind of thing in the interview. But yeah, I'd say expect dates to be announced in November.

filmfanb
08-27-2013, 09:38 PM
yupppp and i am following this tour around as much as i can. certainly the london dates(hopefully more than one) and a manchester date

binaryhermit
08-27-2013, 09:41 PM
I'd guess dates will be announced closer to January than November, but what do I know?

sheepdean
08-27-2013, 09:41 PM
O2 again I reckon, though I'd rather Brixton or Hammersmith

filmfanb
08-27-2013, 09:52 PM
ya brixton is the ideal venue
i saw sigur ros there few months back and had quite a big production on that stage so who knows.
i expect wembley or o2. just hope for multiple dates.

captainkurtz
08-28-2013, 02:16 AM
I doubt it will be as long as November....there is a bit of buz around NIN at the minute, and I think the promoter will want to capitalize on that.

Tickets seem to go on sale pretty early these days - off to see Peter Gabriel in October and those came out in October 2012...

captainkurtz
08-28-2013, 02:17 AM
Wouldn't have imagined they would be big enough for an arena tour, but then I'm surprised that QOTSA are playing one, so what do I know?

Sutekh
08-28-2013, 05:07 AM
Given the greatest hits sets at festivals & the very accessible dancey new album, I reckon he's going for big arena spectacular. 2009 showed he can sell out a UK arena. Would love to be proved wrong & see them at Brixton though!

scarecrow
08-28-2013, 06:22 AM
2009 showed he can sell out a UK arena... with Jane's Addiction on the same bill

simonn
08-28-2013, 06:47 AM
Hoping for a couple of London dates - though I'd be surprised if they sold out 2 nights out the O2, so maybe somehwere like Wembley is more likely. Shame, can't stand the place. Would prefer Brixton, but can't really see them doing another 4 night run a la Performance. Was hoping to catch them a couple of times in London and a Brum.

Ideally though, Folkestone Leas Cliff Hall...! If Ozzy can still play there.....

filmfanb
08-28-2013, 08:49 AM
he could do a few nights in brixton . sigur ros did like three and sold out each one. nails would do that easily

scotty79
08-28-2013, 09:49 AM
If there's a Scottish date (which I pray to god there will be) I'd expect it to be the hydro, would be big enough for the sort of stage show they've put on so far and also seems to be the new venue everyone's goin to be playing at

Highly Psychological
08-28-2013, 11:30 AM
I hope they tour in January or Feb instead i cant wait 7-8 months to April! Gonna try go to as many shows as possible, i would prefer 4-Brixton/Hammersmith shows rather than a massive O2 arena show. I loved the 2007 tour.

humie74
08-29-2013, 01:44 AM
to scotty79
trent always goes to scotland i think they will go to the hydro it makes sence but the barrowlands shows were awesome

GavinCollins420
08-29-2013, 03:14 AM
Scotland plz

PUNCHLINE
08-29-2013, 05:29 AM
The 2009 dates sold in bigger venues in the Uk because of the spin of it being a "Farewell" tour. He's always seemed to prefer multiple nights at Brixton Academy sized venues than fill one larger place anyway. Still, would be nice just for once to actually have a full North American arena production come over, we never got the full Fragile, SD, WT or LITS productions, just very stripped down ones.

katara
08-29-2013, 06:24 AM
Fingers crossed for Brixton Academy. O2 Arena is okay, but I'm not into the size. Still, a NIN show in a huge venue is better than no NIN show at all.

antpatty
08-30-2013, 04:47 PM
i still don't know what i would prefer seeing them multiple nights at brixton or a full tension stage show which will probably only be 1 night

UnjollyIrishman
08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
I don't care, they just need to come to places other than just Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow and London this time. Maybe Sheffield, Liverpool or Newcastle could be added.

Digital Twilight
08-30-2013, 05:11 PM
I don't care, they just need to come to places other than just Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow and London this time. Maybe Sheffield, Liverpool or Newcastle could be added.

It's possible but I would prepare to travel to see them just incase ;)

Scarlet Siren
08-30-2013, 05:45 PM
I hope they come to Edinburgh again. Glasgow gets all the good music... Blah.

Also,I hope they announce the dates SOON... Before I drop an obscene amount of money going to the States to see a few more shows!

simonn
08-30-2013, 06:05 PM
i still don't know what i would prefer seeing them multiple nights at brixton or a full tension stage show which will probably only be 1 night

Much as would love to see them on multiple nights, I'd love to see something akin to the LITS production over here.

jmtd
08-31-2013, 03:35 AM
A return to Newcastle would be great (his first English tour venue was NCL, fact fans) but if it's an arena tour... The arena in NCL sucks. The smaller academy venue would be ideal.

icklekitty
08-31-2013, 05:55 AM

Because you're unable to sit on the Transpennine Express for 90 minutes?

jmtd
08-31-2013, 06:18 AM
Because you're unable to sit on the Transpennine Express for 90 minutes?

For many, including me, it's two train fares and a hotel per gig.

sheepdean
08-31-2013, 06:20 AM
You have to remember they need to be sure to sell tickets. They can't be playing in some farm in Shropshire for 12 people, playing smaller areas means less turnout, and playing large arenas in the big cities means people will come from far to see them. Ideally, yes, we'd all have an intimate club show in our hometown. But realistically, people are gonna have to travel.

jmtd
08-31-2013, 07:05 AM
Obviously. NCL is more than 100 miles from Manchester or Edinburgh, the two nearest venues. The academy I suggested is equivalent to Manchester's and Glasgow's academy venues which NIN regularly play. I appreciate that perhaps there isn't enough of an audience in the ~100 mile radius around ncl to justify a stop, and fans big enough to be on ets will travel anyway. It's more of a frustration because its a pattern that repeats with loads of acts, and I wouldn't commit to spending >£250 per gig for many other groups. I suspect the issue isn't demand, but that our venues are shite at negotiating with promoters.

Scarlet Siren
08-31-2013, 09:11 AM
Obviously. NCL is more than 100 miles from Manchester or Edinburgh, the two nearest venues. The academy I suggested is equivalent to Manchester's and Glasgow's academy venues which NIN regularly play. I appreciate that perhaps there isn't enough of an audience in the ~100 mile radius around ncl to justify a stop, and fans big enough to be on ets will travel anyway. It's more of a frustration because its a pattern that repeats with loads of acts, and I wouldn't commit to spending >£250 per gig for many other groups. I suspect the issue isn't demand, but that our venues are shite at negotiating with promoters.

£250 PER GIG?!?! Eh... No!

jmtd
09-01-2013, 03:25 AM
£250 PER GIG?!?! Eh... No!

That's easily what I've paid 3 out of the last 4 times I saw them.

icklekitty
09-01-2013, 06:12 AM
Yeah, me too, and I live close to lots of venues. The last NIN gig I went to cost...£400ish? Mind you I also did 15 gigs in three weeks for £400, excluding the cost of the tickets.I was living in Leeds at the time.

slave2thewage
09-01-2013, 06:15 AM
Belfast was about £80 for me. Result.

scarecrow
09-01-2013, 07:28 AM
I did the Scala gig for well under £250 and that included 2 nights in a Travelodge and just under 400 mile round trip by rail - would have been less if there was more notice of the gig, couldn't get as big a range of prices via Raileasy: still worked out at only £38 for the train ticket though

monkeyarse
09-01-2013, 11:05 AM
I did the Scala gig for well under £250 and that included 2 nights in a Travelodge and just under 400 mile round trip by rail - would have been less if there was more notice of the gig, couldn't get as big a range of prices via Raileasy: still worked out at only £38 for the train ticket though

Yeah Scala broke the bank for me. £4.80 round trip on the tube and 4 cans of gin and tonic for £6. Fucking fleeced. The four 2009 shows in LA didnt even work out at £250 each..

I too would like to see NIN in Newcastle. Preferably El Rezzo with just a piano in the SAGE.

captainkurtz
09-02-2013, 06:37 AM
The SAGE would be awesome - best venue in the UK by MILES.

Lastentrance
09-28-2013, 09:04 PM
Can't see them playing academy venues. Itl be an arena tour I imagine. I'd hope with full production due to the prod shambles at Reading/Leeds.

slave2thewage
09-29-2013, 04:45 AM
I love it when NIN fans act like they're a bigger band in Europe than they really are.

Al_Hunter
09-29-2013, 05:47 AM
I'm hoping for Nottingham but suspect Birmingham or Manchester is a more likely venue for me to see them. If they do all three, though, I'll be going to all three. My credit card will take the strain :p

Desperate to see NIN live, I've kind of gotten into them then moved on to something else and keep coming back. It seems every time my attention is elsewhere they tour the UK. Thankfully this time around my attention is fully focussed on them, Last time they toured in 2009 I was unemployed so would never have managed to get to see them. Excited.

Lastentrance
09-29-2013, 05:51 AM
I love it when NIN fans act like they're a bigger band in Europe than they really are.

I think what I said was justified. They've played arenas in Europe before, they've charted very high with HM in Europe this year. Not the most outrageous comment in the world.

slave2thewage
09-29-2013, 06:30 AM
They've played arenas in Europe before
They have. But how many times have they sold them out? The O2 (once) and that's all I can think of.

they've charted very high with HM in Europe this year.
12,286 copies in the UK as a debut. Good, but it's not setting records. Lana del Ray has album sales that piss all over Reznor's, but her UK tour was all Academy-sized. Plus, a European tour will take in countries such as France (#22), Italy (#16) and Spain (#20). Arenas are a bad idea.

UnjollyIrishman
09-29-2013, 06:30 AM
Because I'm too young.

WorzelG
09-29-2013, 06:34 AM
I couldn't hazard a guess at whether they could play an arena in the UK (how did the Milan show sell? That was a surprise to me as I would guess at them being more popular in the UK than Italy). I was surprised at how full the 02 arena was in 2009.

I think the new album has more of a chance at broadening their audience if people heard the funkier / popper stuff like All Time Low / Satellite but of course if you stream the album there is a while to go before you get to that stuff and people have no time / attention span anymore and why should they take a chance? A single / video could help and playing these songs on tv or something (jools holland is actually the only music tv show I can think of except just niche stuff on bbc3) I just don't think the singles they have released would do this

Lastentrance
09-29-2013, 06:42 AM
They have. But how many times have they sold them out? The O2 (once) and that's all I can think of.

12,286 copies in the UK as a debut. Good, but it's not setting records. Lana del Ray has album sales that piss all over Reznor's, but her UK tour was all Academy-sized. Plus, a European tour will take in countries such as France (#22), Italy (#16) and Spain (#20). Arenas are a bad idea.

Pretty sure the M.E.N was a sell out. And Lana Del Ray has a casual audience, NIN's audience is mostly made up of a hardcore fan base. Lana Del Ray pissed on sales due to a massive promotional push, TV performances, singles here there and everywhere. NIN got to #2 in the UK this time around through little hype. Not an easy feat.

slave2thewage
09-29-2013, 07:05 AM
Pretty sure the M.E.N was a sell out.
I'm not entirely sure. I'm pretty sure I heard they blanked out loads of seats at it.

And Lana Del Ray has a casual audience, NIN's audience is mostly made up of a hardcore fan base.
Given the demand I saw online for tickets, that's more than generalising.

a massive promotional push,
NIN have had shitloads of press in the last month.

singles here there and everywhere.
Came Back Haunted, Copy of A, Everything. Within ten weeks.

little hype
Only people living on Mars didn't know that they had a new album coming out. Seriously.

Lastentrance
09-29-2013, 07:08 AM
I'm not entirely sure. I'm pretty sure I heard they blanked out loads of seats at it.

Given the demand I saw online for tickets, that's more than generalising.

NIN have had shitloads of press in the last month.

Came Back Haunted, Copy of A, Everything. Within ten weeks.

Only people living on Mars didn't know that they had a new album coming out. Seriously.

Did the singles get pushed anywhere near to the amount any of LDR's singles have? No. Physical release? No. This is a pointless discussion.

Emil Dorbell
09-30-2013, 04:27 AM
(how did the Milan show sell?)

It was almost sold out I think. Hardly saw any empty seats.

Hopefully this turns out to be a full on european tour like in '07. '09 was (almost?) only festivals if you don't count the UK. I want to hit a bunch of shows but that'll be too expensive if they only play festivals. Also, festival shows are so very hit and miss. I've seen both my favorite and least favorite NIN shows at festivals.

fillow
09-30-2013, 05:43 AM
'09 tour had 12 festivals and 14 non-festival dates

icklekitty
09-30-2013, 06:41 AM
^^These two. Sage people.

slave2thewage
09-30-2013, 08:51 AM
festival shows are so very hit and miss. I've seen both my favorite and least favorite NIN shows at festivals.
Oh, yes. I don't think you have anything to worry about, if the tour is meant to be in April.

Emil Dorbell
09-30-2013, 09:12 AM
'09 tour had 12 festivals and 14 non-festival dates

These are the 11 non-festival dates from ninwiki? I might be reading this wrong. Anyway, I guess my memory blocked these out because they didn't play any scandivian venues ;)

2009/06/24 Prague, Czech Republic
2009/06/29 Düsseldorf, Germany
2009/06/30 Berlin, Germany
2009/07/07 Paris, France
2009/07/08 Amsterdam, Netherlands
2009/07/09 Esch-sur-Alzette, Luxembourg
2009/07/14 Manchester, England
2009/07/15 London, England
2009/07/20 Athens, Greece
2009/07/24 Budapest, Hungary
2009/07/30 Madrid, Spain

scorpiusdiamond
09-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Don't do that! I thought they'd announced dates then...

fillow
09-30-2013, 09:38 AM
A guess I also counted Poznan, Rome and Nimes. I thought some (if not all) of them are a type of 'cultural festivals' (as opposed to music-only) where you have only one band each day (either with support or not) and can be seen as solo shows.