PDA

View Full Version : What kind of Drum machines does Trent use in post-With Teeth NIN

adastra
08-27-2013, 04:33 AM
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find a topic.

I've always liked the drumsounds NIN has in YZ,The Slip and of course the new songs from Hesitation Marks.
Do you guys know what Drum machine has he been using making those albums or does he program them on computer softwares?

Peace!

eve_ripper
12-13-2013, 01:12 AM
YEAR ZERO:
I can hear 909 drum machine on many tracks through distortion waveshaper units. As i know Atticuss uses Izotone Trash for distortion.

The Slip:
Battery, Addictive Drums. I think most of the drum parts were programmed, no live playing.

HTDA:
Linndrum or Sequential Circuits DrumTraks, Metasonix D-1000

Hesitation Marks:
909 most of all

mfte
12-13-2013, 09:48 AM
I doubt that he actually plugs a 909 into anything and makes beats on it.

Everything is inside the box now. I think its an unfair question to ask this day and age.

ethan829
12-13-2013, 09:55 AM
I doubt that he actually plugs a 909 into anything and makes beats on it.

Everything is inside the box now. I think its an unfair question to ask this day and age.

Sounds like he still uses/prefers hardware

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNNFLHV6j1I

snaapz
12-13-2013, 01:55 PM
I want to know how the hell you match tempos with this hardware. I have synthesizers and will run a sampler with my drum trax and some guitar or arp or what ever.... but once I get the keyboards involved it basically a guessing game where I try to get the tempo just right, and I feel as though it will also be slightly off, even with tapping to match tempo.

I.E. arp or LFO rate etc...

example of what I'm talking about - you can hear my tempo slide at times ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpbd42ISo1c

scorpiusdiamond
12-13-2013, 09:24 PM
Josh Freese recorded drum samples for Ghosts and The Slip. There is photo evidence.

R-Dot-Yung
12-13-2013, 10:12 PM
YEAR ZERO:
I can hear 909 drum machine on many tracks through distortion waveshaper units. As i know Atticuss uses Izotone Trash for distortion.

The Slip:
Battery, Addictive Drums. I think most of the drum parts were programmed, no live playing.

HTDA:
Linndrum or Sequential Circuits DrumTraks, Metasonix D-1000

Hesitation Marks:
909 most of all

I don't really agree with this. I think Trent is just making his own kicks with Sine Waves. Yes some of them sound like 909s but they don't sound like they are actually 909s. The only place I hear a blatant 909 is on All Time Low during the chorus.

eve_ripper
12-17-2013, 07:31 AM
I don't really agree with this. I think Trent is just making his own kicks with Sine Waves. Yes some of them sound like 909s but they don't sound like they are actually 909s. The only place I hear a blatant 909 is on All Time Low during the chorus.

Came Back Haunted? I doubt that it is not a 909.

Leviathant
12-17-2013, 12:02 PM
Came Back Haunted? I doubt that it is not a 909.

You're missing a comma: "I doubt that, it is not a 909." ;)

While there are 909-derived sounds being used there, they are part of a larger percussive palette, which leads me to believe it's probably another drum machine. I would venture to say it's a DSI Tempest.

screwdriver
12-18-2013, 07:32 PM
You're missing a comma: "I doubt that, it is not a 909." ;)

While there are 909-derived sounds being used there, they are part of a larger percussive palette, which leads me to believe it's probably another drum machine. I would venture to say it's a DSI Tempest.

things like this make me really wish we had an old-fashioned gear fetishist interview re: Hesitation Marks. Come on Electronic Musician or Keyboard or SOMEONE!

theimage13
12-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Josh Freese recorded drum samples for Ghosts and The Slip. There is photo evidence.

Link? I don't doubt you; I just want to see those photos.

askthedust
12-22-2013, 04:11 PM
Maschine all the way.

scorpiusdiamond
12-23-2013, 05:13 PM
Link? I don't doubt you; I just want to see those photos.

http://www.ninwiki.com/File:IMG_1054sm-788174.JPG