PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation Marks - ETS Reviews

Pages : [1] 2 3

laz001
08-26-2013, 09:05 AM
Hi All,

Now that HM is leaked, (I refuse to tap-out, and will wait until release!) - I thought it would be good for people to post NON-SPOILER reviews of HM. From what I hear, it's good - but HOW good is it?

Rating out of 10?
Standout tracks?
Album it could be compared to?
Other comments?

Keep it short, no spoilers, just hype it up for us ETS members who HAVEN'T heard it yet!

Khrz
08-26-2013, 09:09 AM
Possibly the best thing since The Fragile, to me. So, on a pitchfork scale, that would be a 1.8 out of 10, I believe !

Lew
08-26-2013, 09:11 AM
THE FUCK??????????? jesus christ, you can't leave this board for five seconds without returning and screaming "the fuck???"
praying i can hold off until the official release

Tyson
08-26-2013, 10:16 AM
Rating out of 10?
Standout tracks?
Other comments?

10/10

All of them really, but All Time Low and Satellite are the ones I went back to immediately after the album ended.

None really. It's kind of its own unique thing. If I REALLY had to pick something Trent has done that would be a good comparison it would be The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust!

Like some people have already said, while there have been some really good things to come from Trent since The Fragile, I think this is probably the best album, on the whole, since '99.

screwdriver
08-26-2013, 10:21 AM
10/10

All of them really, but All Time Low and Satellite are the ones I went back to immediately after the album ended.

None really. It's kind of its own unique thing. If I REALLY had to pick something Trent has done that would be a good comparison it would be The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of Niggy Tardust!

Like some people have already said, while there have been some really good things to come from Trent since The Fragile, I think this is probably the best album, on the whole, since '99.

I just finished my first listen. There's a few really amazing tracks on here. There's a few that didn't quite connect with me on first listen -- but it was the same with The Fragile. But there's no doubt Trent is firing on all cylinders here. I'm really looking forward to giving it another listen, but I need to work :-)

One thing that stood out to me is that -- I feel like this is the most a NIN album has ever creatively used reverb.

ltrandazzo
08-26-2013, 10:21 AM
I'm going all in.

This is the best Nine Inch Nails record since The Fragile. I've reserved that praise for such a long time, but no longer.

Khrz
08-26-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm going all in.

This is the best Nine Inch Nails record since The Fragile. I've reserved that praise for such a long time, but no longer.

Seriously. Minblowingly great. The man just went 360° and reinvented himself like it was nothing, while remaining coherent with his own body of work and taking the luxury to even reference his whole discography. It's bleak yet fucking funky, and the best thing is, it works ! How the hell did he do that ?

screwdriver
08-26-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm going all in.

I wanna go there, but I need to give this some more time

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm going all in.

This was my initial thought as well. I'm so fucking excited right now.

You can usually tell when Trent has confidence. And he has it back.

Remember when he said it was "fucking good"? No kidding.

tony.parente
08-26-2013, 10:37 AM
My review:

"It's good"

vessel
08-26-2013, 10:38 AM
My review:

Holy fucking shit Everything just blew my mind in context. How did that happen. I'm fucked.

GFGohmann
08-26-2013, 10:40 AM
It's going to take quite a few listens before I can rate this thing.

But I think this is a really, really great!!

"I Would For You" is my personal favorite right now.

This record has such a cool sound... so different from anything out right now.

brokenfragility
08-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Rating out of 10?
Standout tracks?
Other comments?

9.7/10

Stand out tracks: All Time Low, In Two

It should be compared to nothing, it stands on its own as a great piece of work. I think its better than The Fragile, and the only album I would hold over this (just a smidge) is The Downward Spiral. After more listens I could change my mind on that even. Its damn good, near perfect.

redwingsrock
08-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Not going to give a score yet, as it's too early, but my favorite track is Various Methods of Escape. The interlude piece is amazing. I also wouldn't compare this to any other album, but I will say that it reminds me a bit of The Downward Spiral, but less....frenetic.

Love it!

broevol
08-26-2013, 10:49 AM
I have not got goose bumps from a nin album since the Fragile. I am totally impressed. Downward Spiral>Fragile>Hesitation Marks
9/10

Shnoorum
08-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Hell, this is their greatest album they've ever done in my opinion. It's got NIN's trademark complex but simplistic sound to it yet it sounds nothing like they've ever done before. I'm shit at reviews so I'll leave it at that

It goes up to 11/10

scotty79
08-26-2013, 11:00 AM
So far for me various methods of escape is my favourite, other than the ones already been released/played live this is the stand out for me, once I get a listen to it a few more times I think this'll definitely become my favourite album

JessicaSarahS
08-26-2013, 11:02 AM
Rating out of 10? 8.5/10
Standout tracks? In Two is my standout favorite on the first listen, with Satellite, Running, and All Time Low following close by.
Album it could be compared to? HTDA + The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!
Other comments? BRB, getting my dance on! And I need to listen to it a bit more.

jbeam4
08-26-2013, 11:03 AM
Really damn good album I must say.
Favorite tracks are Various Methods of Escape & I Would for You.

Hell, the whole second half of the album is great.

Pretty sure I'd still rank Like Clockwork as my favorite album I've listened to this year but this one is pretty close.

Now to wait until my preorder arrives to listen again.

mostlymad
08-26-2013, 11:05 AM
Hi All,

Now that HM is leaked, (I refuse to tap-out, and will wait until release!) - I thought it would be good for people to post NON-SPOILER reviews of HM. From what I hear, it's good - but HOW good is it?

Rating out of 10?
Standout tracks?
Other comments?

Keep it short, no spoilers, just hype it up for us ETS members who HAVEN'T heard it yet!

I'm going with 8/10

Various Methods of Escape, I Would for You, and In Two made the best impressions, so far.

There is so much from Reznor in each song. I'd say all of the songs compare to his style on all albums, but there's not a single album I'd line it up with. There are With Teeth, Slip, Fragile, Spiral touches popping up through each listen. Not one album alone.

Just want to reiterate that I appreciate that he made this album. One voice among the many, but thought I'd just stress that again. Thanks for the art.

hani
08-26-2013, 11:08 AM
I think that musically it's more mature, complex YZ. lyrically it's WT.

after 1st listen, I'm loving it so far. instant classic. I can't put my finger on comparing it to TF though, both are so different I couldn't tell which is better.

anyway, it's something like 8/10 or 9/10. I'm gonna decide which one after a few more listens

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 11:08 AM
The Inevitable Rise and Liberation of NiggyTardust!

I heard this too. There's definitely bits of every album in here, but I think that was to be expected after hearing how varied the 5 songs we heard first were.

FernandoDante
08-26-2013, 11:11 AM
Not mind-blowing on my first listen. A few impressive moments. Definitely not feeling the TDS connection Trent had mentioned in interviews.

But I need to listen more, of course.

nobies
08-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Not mind-blowing on my first listen. A few impressive moments. Definitely not feeling the TDS connection Trent had mentioned in interviews.

Didn't Trent mention that this was more of a retrospective response to TDS rather than some kind of direct sonic connection? At least that's what I assumed he meant anyway.

ihatecrayons
08-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Rating out of 10?
9/10 at this point
Standout tracks?
All Time Low. I can't shut up about it. Satellite is also kicking my ass.
None of them. It's something totally different, in my opinion. NiggyTardust comes closest I suppose, but even then, it's just something all it's own.
Other comments?
All of my expectations were exceeded for this album, and I had high expectations because it's NIN. Awesome album, so glad I preordered it.

noneofthem
08-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Rating:
10 of 10

Standout tracks:
"In Two" blew me away straight away but I need a lot more listening time

Album it could be compared to:
Too many influences from other NIN albums and even other artists to mention in one post.

Other comments:
Best album since "The Fragile". Instant classic and I even love the remixes!

Inkė
08-26-2013, 11:35 AM
Definitely not feeling the TDS connection Trent had mentioned in interviews.

A big +1 for this. More like With Teeth combined with Welcome Oblivion.

FULLMETAL
08-26-2013, 11:36 AM
I can't fully comment on my appreciation of the album until I go over the liner notes while listening, but I've been rocking out all fucking morning and loving every second of it.

I'm finding the last 1:30 of "While I'm Still Here" to be beautifully soothing and I really hope this song ends up in the TENSION show.

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Running reminds me of Kid A. Mostly it's the weird instrumentation, the falsetto in the background, the repetitive syncopated breathless singing.

Paul
08-26-2013, 11:37 AM
First thoughts:
I think what we have here is TR finally saying "fuck it, is this NIN anymore? what is NIN? who cares. this is what I want to make." and we're all (TR included) reaping the rewards

Additional thoughts and details after more listens...

[parasite]
08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
i'm likin it, quite a bit!

probably an overall 8/10

ryanj101
08-26-2013, 11:47 AM
For me, this is far and away the best since The Fragile...

Rating out of 10? As compared to the rest of the NIN catalogue...maybe an 8.5-9. As compared to the rest of the musical world...33.6 out of 10.

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 11:50 AM
Anyone hearing a lot of Cortini influence in here? Minimalism + rising droning synths and odd percussion noises? Oh god. Marry me, HM.

_minus
08-26-2013, 11:59 AM

I think what Trent had said was that this was an album rooted in who TR was as a person during the making of TDS. So it's only connected to TDS on a meta-level.

FernandoDante
08-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Didn't Trent mention that this was more of a retrospective response to TDS rather than some kind of direct sonic connection? At least that's what I assumed he meant anyway.
And that's where I'm getting at. This doesn't have the character, honesty or sound of TDS. But I'll look harder.

goingincirclez
08-26-2013, 12:05 PM
I can't believe Satellite was almost "wasted" on a "greatest hits". Say what you want about NIN's comeback, but I'm glad that project smacked Trent with a wake-up call. Fucking great track.

And drop the hate: "Everything" also flows much better between Disappointed and Satellite. Yeah, it works. It's perfect.

There is SO MUCH going on in this record, so many influences, so many styles, so much instrumentation, experimentation, distortion, and progression, it really demands more listening and the highest possible quality - DO NOT judge this on low-quality YT rips.

This is NIN at its dynamic, progressive, enrapturing best. All the classic flavors of NIN and so many new twists. The lyrics, even if familiar, hold a personal sincerity that gives them bite. Easily Trent's best post-addiction work. Yeah. To all those who said Trent "lost it forever" when he cleaned up: He basically just fucked you sideways in the best way possible.

The song "Running" sums it up well: you can't hide from this. This is NIN that is meant to be heard.

Not sure where Hesitation Marks will rank with The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, but it EASILY completes the Holy Ninity.

richardp
08-26-2013, 12:05 PM
On first listen, obviously it may change over time, but I'd give it an 8 out of 10
In Two, Satellite, Find My Way, I would For You, and Copy Of A are the immediate standout tracks.
At times it feels like an extension of Year Zero, and other times it feels like something completely new, and then there is the wonderful little gem that is "In Two" that sounds like it could EASILY slide right into The Fragile: Right.

This is an absolutely refreshing album for NIN. It's great to hear something new and wasn't just rehashed ideas like The Slip was. The pop-ish songs are truly fantastic and I hope NIN plays a fuck ton of these tracks live on Tension, regardless of if they're pretending to push buttons or not.

Tiz
08-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Rating out of 10? 8.5
Standout tracks? All-Time Low, Running, Satellite, Copy Of A, Various Methods Of Escape, In Two
Album it could be compared to? If The Fragile, and Pretty Hate Machine had a baby in 2013...
Other comments? Trent's back! It's his most complete work since The Fragile. The funk, the beats, the harmonies, the jangly rhythm sections, the layers, the crazy guitar outros, and I swear I hear shades of the same guitar tone found on The Fragile. It is a great time to be an NIN fan! Thanks, Trent! You 'da best! I know TDS is the socially-accepted benchmark for NIN albums. Make no mistake, this album is not the work of a hungry, young, musical genius. I really hate numerical scores, because even if say an album is a 10, I might wish to listen to an album with a lesser artistic score.

So for me, it isn't like TDS -- The Fragile -- Hesitation Marks. From a listener's perspective, HM is better to me. I have listened to TDS, and TF 500 times. TDS is a chore to sit through at times due to the incessant teenage angst. TF is a chore due to filler. But artistically, I could not validate putting HM above TDS, or TF for many reasons. Let's just say...this album is my personal favorite Nine Inch Nails record for the moment. I see myself listening to it for a much longer period than past NIN works. Lyrically, it's more reserved, the compositions are remarkably subtle, and it fucking BUMPS.

OSLIN
08-26-2013, 12:10 PM
This is definitely his most diverse piece of work.

Highly Psychological
08-26-2013, 12:12 PM
Its definitely got its own unique feel and does sound different to what he has done before. Its a lot more Subtle but not a minimal record by any means.
I feeling the three tracks the most...Various Methods of Escape is gut wrenchingly emotional. I Would for You is gorgeous and Satellite's bass turns me on.

I think it has immaculate production. I would give it 8/10.

theyellowdart
08-26-2013, 12:13 PM
A friendly reminder from your neighbourhood theyellowdart:

1. Seed because sharing is caring.
2. Buy it.

Thanks for listening,

theyellowdart

frankie teardrop
08-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Rating out of 10: 8
Standout Tracks: In Two, While I'm Still Here/Black Noise, Various Methods of Escape, All Time Low, Everything
Album it could be compared to: Year Zero, with greater pop sensibility, Peter Gabriel's Up, shades of Kid A
Other Comments: Don't ignore the remixes, best in ages. Very refreshing, beat/groove heavy record, catchy as hell with trademark epic moments. Lindsay Buckingham's guitar work is very noticeable and welcome.

Reaps
08-26-2013, 12:25 PM
Best release since The Fragile, without a doubt. 9.7/10

Highlights are All Time Low, Satellite, Find My Way, Disappointed, In Two, Variou...fuck it, the whole album.

[parasite]
08-26-2013, 12:45 PM
for me, I Would For You & In Two, best tracks,

and defiantly the best album since the fragile!

Butterscotch
08-26-2013, 12:46 PM
I want to fuck this album like an animal.

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 12:47 PM
I like all the "PERFECT ALBUM. 8/10" like seriously what

It can't be both.

Mr.Benjamin
08-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Rating out of 10?
Standout tracks?
Other comments?

I'll give it 8 starting out since anticipation was already high. Time will tell. Standout tracks for me are 'In Two', 'All Time Low', and 'Running'. There are comparisons to 'The Fragile'. One of the standout tracks is close to 'The Downward Spiral' for me. It doesn't have the walls of sound but I believe this track wouldn't be out of place on that album.

Butterscotch
08-26-2013, 12:52 PM
I like all the "PERFECT ALBUM. 8/10" like seriously what

It can't be both.

"10/10 It's okay" - IGN

Mr.Metheus
08-26-2013, 12:53 PM
I've only listened through it once and it usually takes me several listens before I really start to "get" an album but I'm confident that it's at least an 8/10. I really can't come up with any albums to compare it to, but I think it's the best since The Fragile. All Time Low and In Two stood out the most to me (other than Copy of A).

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 12:54 PM
I'm gonna up the ante.

9/10.

Yeah, I went there.

gizmo
08-26-2013, 12:55 PM
"10/10 It's okay" - IGN

"9/10 Wait Until It's On Sale"

jesus
08-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Is their best since The Fragile, superior than With Teeth, Year Zero and The Slip, 10/10 nothing less, now I'm waiting for my order to get here... Cant wait for the book

Lastentrance
08-26-2013, 12:57 PM
Rating - After 2 listens, 8/10. Let down by CBH and Everything which, although I enjoy the songs, don't really fit in the overall flow of the album. I also think there's an issue with flow in the first five tracks, maybe I've heard them too much.
Standouts - Dissapointed, Running, All Time Low, Various, Satelli- erm, probably 2/3rds of the album...
Album it could be compared to - Sonically, The Fragile, in terms of dynamics, texture, range. Vocally, probably With Teeth?

It's an absolute killer of an album, I reckon my 8/10 rating will rise over the coming weeks/listens. Probably his strongest work in terms of depth and musicality since The Fragile. I've never felt this happy to hear a new NIN album before, hype and expectations have been solidly met.

theyellowdart
08-26-2013, 12:59 PM
I think the GBPO remix is brilliant!
But I think my avatar shows my bias.

Other Comments: Don't ignore the remixes, best in ages. Very refreshing, beat/groove heavy record, catchy as hell with trademark epic moments. Lindsay Buckingham's guitar work is very noticeable and welcome.

liquidcalm
08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
its pretty good!

BenAkenobi
08-26-2013, 01:10 PM
on another board i read opinions like "very boring, typical and limp" and "wild whining, no music whatsoever, worse than dog shit"
while here all orgasming, i'm afraid to play what i downloaded, i'm afraid that i'll believe it's awesome too, need to go to sleep.

nashstat
08-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Satellite - What a song... what a beat!

fabripav
08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
Nothing short of a 9.5/10. It's not a 10/10 because Everything is quite worse than the rest, while still being pretty decent.

laz001
08-26-2013, 01:16 PM
All, this is really reassuring! I'm sure that like me, many of you were nervous that it would be an
average' album, or worse, rubbish.

Bu to see so many people say 'it's met, or smashed my expectations' and 'it's the best work since xyz' is great to hear.

I cannot wait to receive the deluxe CD now to sit an listen!

Miss Destruction
08-26-2013, 02:07 PM
Rating out of 10: 8.93 (I'm precise)
Standout tracks: "Copy of a," "All Time Low," "In Two,"
Album it could be compared to: In terms of musical diversity, "The Fragile."
Other comments: I really like how it flows. Everything (and yes, even "Everything") fits perfectly well together. He overuses the echo effect a bit but I don't mind that much.

GFGohmann
08-26-2013, 02:07 PM
10/10

This is Nine Inch Nails best album. Period.

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 02:11 PM
10/10

Damn, that's a statement.

pukkelpop
08-26-2013, 02:12 PM
Damn Trent , take your time for the next album, if it only takes you one year to make this... masterpiece. Mindblowing.
9,5/10

nineismine
08-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Im at work. Im fucking amazed. I haven't had chills listening to an albuim since TDS. This album stands proudly next to TDS in the body of work.

Stand outs: Various methods of escape. All time low, running, in two, satelites.... fuck pretty much the second 3/4 of the album.

The eater of dreams is a PERFECT intro and the outro fits the theme so well. FUCK YOU REZNOR for not writing this album right after the Fragile. I didn't think you could do it again.

brokenfragility
08-26-2013, 02:15 PM
10/10

As stated in the Halo 28 thread I (sort of) agree. I wouldn't say "best" because when you do "best" lists you include innovation and what they've done for music (in which TDS will always reign supreme) but I think its my personal favorite. These days I don't relate to TDS or The Fragile as much as I used too, and NIN is one of the only remaining angsty bands I even listen to so Hesitation Marks is perfect for me. Its exactly what I wanted from Trent and it is brilliant.

Khrz
08-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Damn Trent , take your time for the next album, if it only takes you one year to make this... masterpiece. Mindblowing.
9,5/10

Fuck no, he's never been so productive so rapidly, yet instead of draining him, it's fueling him ! Don't let the guy rest or think, it tires him !

R-Dot-Yung
08-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Rating :

9/10

Stand Out Tracks :

All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, I Would For You, In Two, (Seriously, these songs are phenomenal)

Album Compared To :

This is the culmination of Reznors entire career in one album. It sounds like every thing he's ever done mashed together, and it's fucking glorious.

Other Comments :

The second the album ended (and I didn't even see it coming since the last two tracks are really one song), There were a ton of memorable moments that I wanted to go back and revisit while at the same time, my brain can't even begin to comprehend everything I heard. Which in my opinion means that this album kicks a ton of ass, and I can't wait to spend a prolonged period of time absorbing it fully.

GFGohmann
08-26-2013, 02:22 PM
As stated in the Halo 27 thread I (sort of) agree. I wouldn't say "best" because when you do "best" lists you include innovation and what they've done for music (in which TDS will always reign supreme) but I think its my personal favorite. These days I don't relate to TDS or The Fragile as much as I used too, and NIN is one of the only remaining angsty bands I even listen to so Hesitation Marks is perfect for me. Its exactly what I wanted from Trent and it is brilliant.

Agreed – But this album does show that TR has mastered his sound, and is free to take it in any direction he wants – and it still works and sounds amazing.

anguilla
08-26-2013, 02:24 PM
First impression: This record is just like good old marital sex. Nice and all but you know all wifey's tricks already.
Gotta have another listen though, just to see if I lost something, might be a grower (Came back haunted sure it was, still one of the standout tracks).
By the way, long time fan here, Quake/Perfect Drug era...

Edit: On second listen, things are getting better. It's not fair to expect a record to make you feel 16 again, isn't it?

mrselfdestruct94
08-26-2013, 02:25 PM
I shouldn't have read this thread. I've been waiting patiently since early June for September 3rd to finally get here (I was lucky enough to get the day off, thankfully) and now hearing all of these positive reactions has finally made me realize just how long of a wait it's been. Not just the three months of waiting for the album, but also waiting since February or March for any information regarding the band ever since Trent Reznor announced he was bringing Nine Inch Nails back to the world. In short, I'm very excited and incredibly impatient and I want the album now. Especially now that I've heard it compared to The Fragile.

AlanMorlock
08-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Only a few tracks in. I just wanted to say I love how the repeated line at the end of Copy of A leads into the the Ha-Ha-Haunted in Came Back Haunted.

NotoriousTIMP
08-26-2013, 02:28 PM
The various layers of music on this album make this such a different auditory experience when compared to his past works. I'm really digging the hip hop, tribal, rock, industrial, and 'other worldly' (for lack of a better term) sounds that we have going on here. TR really has hit his stride with this album and makes me even more excited to experience this record in a live environment! :D

BRING ON TENSION 2013!!!!

Sky
08-26-2013, 02:28 PM
Goddamn, My favorite album this year (beating ...Like Clockwork) although they're obviously very different albums. This one grabbed straight away and after a couple of listens I think it's excelled everything else(what I've heard) this year by quite a bit.

Standout tracks?
Cant really say... but All Time Low grabbed the shit out of me and violated my ears in ways I should probably tell my mom about.

As everyone has been saying, It's Trent culminating everything he's done in the past, it works and sounds amazing.

Other comments?
I know what album I'm going to be listening to relentlessly this week....

NotoriousTIMP
08-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Goddamn, My favorite album this year (beating ...Like Clockwork) although they're obviously very different albums. This one grabbed straight away and after a couple of listens I think it's excelled everything else(what I've heard) this year by quite a bit.

Standout tracks?
Cant really say... but All Time Low grabbed the shit out of me and violated my ears in ways I should probably tell my mom about.

As everyone has been saying, It's Trent culminating everything he's done in the past, it works and sounds amazing.

Other comments?
I know what album I'm going to be listening to relentlessly this week....

I laughed a little too hard at this comment, thank you for making my day :)

EndlessLoveless
08-26-2013, 02:34 PM
Short review- perfect
Long review- unbelievably fucking perfect!!!

Notes- Copy of a studio version kills, somehow i like came back haunted even better, find my way studio is way better (so many layers, and that outro), all time low is one of the best nin songs ever, various methods of escape is one of the best nin songs ever (that middle into the ending drums...unreal), i would for you IS the best nin song ever, in two fucking rules (that fragile breakdown), and black noise sounds like the last three notes on the downward spiral (the hurt explosion).

Unbelievably fucking perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!\

edit-this feels and sounds like nin's swan song.....please trent dont ever stop

Max Leo
08-26-2013, 02:39 PM
I have only listened to this album once so far, but I have to disagree with the poeple calling it the best album since "The Fragile", and it's not because I think that this album is not that good, but because I think that albums like WT, YZ, Ghosts, The Slip, the scores and even Welcome Oblivion are fantastic and as good as this last one.

Maybe I'll change my mind once I've listened the new album a billion times (planning to do it later when I can), but I doubt that it will be much better than "Welcome Oblivion", but it's jut because I think that the HTDA album was amazingly good, so I don't see how this album can be sooo much better, same with the other albums released by Trent uring the last 10 years.

toomanyrifts
08-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Anyone else get a Saul Williams "Rise and Liberation..." vibe from All Time Low?

anedonia74
08-26-2013, 02:52 PM
After three listens ...

Rating : 7/10

Stand Out Tracks : Copy of A, Find my way

Album Compared to : the Fragile but also Ultra by Depeche Mode

Other Comments : Production-wise this is a masterpiece. The main problem for me is that most songs sound flat, not as visceral as I'd expect from a NIN record (and nothing to do with this not being a guitar album). I look forward to keep listening to it ...

wizfan
08-26-2013, 02:56 PM
First impression: fucking L O V E D it. More detailed review as I go deeper into it.

anguilla
08-26-2013, 03:01 PM
After three listens ...

Rating : 7/10

Stand Out Tracks : Copy of A, Find my way

Album Compared to : the Fragile but also Ultra by Depeche Mode

Other Comments : Production-wise this is a masterpiece. The main problem for me is that most songs sound flat, not as visceral as I'd expect from a NIN record (and nothing to do with this not being a guitar album). I look forward to keep listening to it ...

Expectations, expectations, expectations...felt the same way on first listen. It's gonna grow on you, and then just grow old. The way it will age, nobody knows now.

littlemonkey613
Yo.

I just can't believe Satellite, All Time Low, I Would For You and While Im Still Here exist... like people....this music WHAT IS THIS?

So the outro of Find My Way without that douchebag guy talking over it is oneof my favorite moments from the album. GORGEOUS.

I think with time the wise will come to realize that Everything and its placement on the album is one of its most sinister/cynical moments by the time that static is finished building at the end and that the album can't be without it.

Khrz
The main problem for me is that most songs sound flat, not as visceral as I'd expect from a NIN record (and nothing to do with this not being a guitar album). I look forward to keep listening to it ...

While not sharing the sentiment I can understand that, and believe it will be a huge issue with some commentators and reviewers : the music isn't really in synch with the lyrics, emotionally-wise. For me, that paradoxically a plus, but I can see why it might disturb some and break their immersion, so to speak.

Tiz
08-26-2013, 03:05 PM
While not sharing the sentiment I can understand that, and believe it will be a huge issue with some commentators and reviewers.

Those reviewers can eat a dick. This album rocks. Trent kicks ass. NIN fans all over the world are celebrating with champagne, and body shots. Fuck yes.

littlemonkey613
08-26-2013, 03:13 PM
the music isn't really in synch with the lyrics, emotionally-wise.

I don't think his lyrics and music have ever been more in sync. It sounds like the desperation of holding onto a loved one when your time has come and the lyrics scream that sentiment to me. Fuck this album you guys its killed me.

ninsp
08-26-2013, 03:14 PM
9/10. Reminds me of a modern day Fragile.

But holy shit I Would For You is like...the best song since...shit, maybe The Fragile.

It has that 'it' factor NIN hasn't had in forever. It constantly surprises me and does things I never thought NIN would ever do again. The lyrics are really fantastic and sound really dark despite...fuck, it's a fantastic album. The way he sings in I Would For You and the brutal backing electronics...just earsex.

Best since The Fragile. That's saying something, considering I think Year Zero is a modern masterpiece.

Khrz
08-26-2013, 03:17 PM
I don't think his lyrics and music have ever been more in sync. It sounds like the desperation of holding onto a loved one when your time has come and the lyrics scream that sentiment to me. Fuck this album you guys its killed me.

There are exceptions of course, but globally it's a very dark and bleak album, lyrically, yet ultra funky musically. The lyrics are often very ambivalent and ambiguous, and most of the tracks' music don't reflect that, not right off the bat anyway.

Winter Is Coming
08-26-2013, 03:17 PM
I only got as far as All Time Low and I'd already heard the previous tracks to that, minus the intro, and I'm impressed. I drove home on my lunch hour and burned myself a copy of a copy of a copy... Sorry what was I saying?

Oh yeah, loved All Time Low.

I actually went out and ordered a new pair of headphones because the ones I have right now just won't cut it. I was also going to wait until the official release. Lol yeah right.

Even though I have a meeting bright and early tomorrow I may have to start my ritual early. Bottle of Johnny Walker Black and a big fat spliff plus HM.

littlemonkey613
08-26-2013, 03:18 PM
There are exceptions of course, but globally it's a very dark and bleak album, lyrically, yet ultra funky musically. The lyrics are often very ambivalent and ambiguous, and most of the tracks' music don't reflect that, not right off the bat anyway.

Oh yeah totally I see what you mean. I think every song starts off in that funky sort of way and slowly becomes the dark thing that he's singing about. Its madness.

Wretchedest
08-26-2013, 03:28 PM
I like it!

Im a bit surprised as most of what we had heard to this point had kind of pushed my hopes down, but all of the other stuff is pretty good. Production is strong as ever, the lyrical content is better tha it has been in a long time, and on the songs where Trent sets out to do something unusual he really shines.

Highlights: All Time Low, I would For you, in two

Lowlights: Everything, Satelite

On the fence (do i love or hate these songs): Disappointed, various methods.

All in all the triple meaning of the lyrics really elevates the album for me. He did a good job here when he wasnt trying to shove the songs in the door at the local dance club. The ending of the album is really trippy. I like that.

Conan The Barbarian
08-26-2013, 03:30 PM
All time low, HOLY SHIT!!!!!!

anedonia74
08-26-2013, 03:31 PM
Expectations, expectations, expectations...felt the same way on first listen. It's gonna grow on you, and then just grow old.

That's what I hope. I am sure there is the kind of majestic greatness of NIN in there somewhere but I have not got in tune with it yet.

Lastentrance
08-26-2013, 03:33 PM
When people say this is like a culmination of all of Trent's work - I don't hear any of The Slip in this. Lots of Ghosts/TSN/TGWTDT/Fragile and some TDS, though.

AlanMorlock
08-26-2013, 03:33 PM
Everything is still jarring and lackluster in context. It could have been left off and the album would be stronger for it.

Most the other songs though, man I love it. All Time Low into Disappointed is one damn fine groove.

Also, I think its on Running, but I think it is awesome when the music slips into a kind of tribal beat.

Wretchedest
08-26-2013, 03:35 PM
Am i the only one who didnt like Satellite then?

I can see evrybody lives all time low, i did too, but i couldnt stand sattelite.

spahn
08-26-2013, 03:36 PM
Let's hear it for nine inch nails, wooh, they're good!

AlanMorlock
08-26-2013, 03:38 PM
Satellite is definitely not my favorite track.

anguilla
08-26-2013, 03:38 PM
When people say this is like a culmination of all of Trent's work - I don't hear any of The Slip in this. Lots of Ghosts/TSN/TGWTDT/Fragile and some TDS, though.
That's because The Slip was really just a slip in the wrong direction...still, you can hear it in the plasticky sounds that abound just under the layers of awesomeness...

JamesCmuse
08-26-2013, 03:39 PM
I'm listening through it currently and only at All Time Low. This fucking song is off the chain...

toomanyrifts
08-26-2013, 03:40 PM
Okay. I need to think rationally. Words. Thoughts. Umm...

I can't believe I'm actually going here. This does beat, it destroys everything he's done before.

I can't even begin to think of a 'standout' song - they all stand out, both on their own and as a whole work of art. What Trent does to sound isn't music, it's art, let's start calling it what it is. With Hesitation Marks, he's ascended from the world of mere mortal musicians. Holy shit. This was recorded?

A number ranking of Hesitation Marks is unfair to numbers, as they don't go high enough.

Welcome to the land of the Perfect Albums. Population Three. Hesitation Marks, The Downward Spiral, The Fragile.

I want to hear Running live so badly. That song sounds made for a party.

nineismine
08-26-2013, 03:42 PM
I like it!

Im a bit surprised as most of what we had heard to this point had kind of pushed my hopes down, but all of the other stuff is pretty good. Production is strong as ever, the lyrical content is better tha it has been in a long time, and on the songs where Trent sets out to do something unusual he really shines.

Highlights: All Time Low, I would For you, in two

Lowlights: Everything, Satelite

On the fence (do i love or hate these songs): Disappointed, various methods.

All in all the triple meaning of the lyrics really elevates the album for me. He did a good job here when he wasnt trying to shove the songs in the door at the local dance club. The ending of the album is really trippy. I like that.

Low lights : Satelite??? Man you crazy!!!

Various methods is one of my favorite tracks in the catalog. All time low is blowing my mind right now.

Were never gonna die. How did we get so high

ComradeCornhole
08-26-2013, 03:43 PM
In short, there are just SO MANY new elements (instrumentation, vibe, vocalization, genre-stylization) that it'll take me a good while to digest it all and really feel like I've got a firm grip on it. But it's easy to declare that it is all VERY appealing, even on a surface-level, first-listen understanding of it. It's something like taking all of TR's previous work (scores and HTDA included), throwing it into a blender, then taking that and setting it aside and using it only as a reference point for developing an entirely new sound. This is definitely a reinvention. There is certainly familiarity, but this is definitely a departure, a progression, and a new phase. As many have already stated, as much as I enjoy TR's "ought" output, it's plain to se that Hesitation Marks has that little bit of magic that many have been yearning for since The Fragile, but just haven't quite found on subsequent releases.

ComradeCornhole
08-26-2013, 03:47 PM
My guess has always been that the "magic" lies in diversity of arrangement, tone, tempo and especially structure, that hasn't been as present on WT-Slip. There is an embarrassment of riches regarding these elements on Hesitation Marks.

pukkelpop
08-26-2013, 03:48 PM
there are really bad reviews on a dutch forum. dont get those people..

littlemonkey613
08-26-2013, 03:54 PM
And we will live foreverrrrr babayyyyy. Well stretch across the sky.

Sooo the dip in music when he says "Were never gonna die" ahahahah man too good TOO GOOD.

anguilla
08-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Not hardcore enough...

fabripav
08-26-2013, 04:00 PM
The more I listen, the better it gets. Dat tribal beat in Running.

Trent, I know you're reading this (well, I'd like to think so), keep doing what you do, the way you do. (and give me a free ticket for the Milan show on wednesday)

anguilla
08-26-2013, 04:02 PM
Am i the only one who didnt like Satellite then?

I can see evrybody lives all time low, i did too, but i couldnt stand sattelite.

I concur. Satellite has that bland Year Zero mood, and, for what I can tell (I am italian) the lyrics sounds a bit predictable/childish...
Sorry...I am on a reply frenzy....

Wretchedest
08-26-2013, 04:04 PM

You dont get the dutch?

Nyx
08-26-2013, 04:07 PM
Running is kinda Knifey.

Khrz
08-26-2013, 04:08 PM
Running is kinda Knifey.

Knifey Tardusty even.

masamune3570
08-26-2013, 04:22 PM
Hesitation Marks sounds seriously fucking cool. Definitely getting a different vibe from this in comparison with the rest of the discography. Lots of ambiance and subtle touches that remind me of Year Zero and The Fragile though which I greatly dig. Some of the sounds and melodies are almost along the lines of something you'd hear from Thom Yorke/Radiohead at times. "In Two", "All Time Low", "Satelite", and "Disappointed" are some of my favorite tracks so far. "While I'm Still Here" and "Black Noise" is a really nice finish. I can definitely see this album alienating some fans though.

Ryan
08-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Just put on iPhone. Going to give it a first listen on the train on the way to work shortly.

Ripe(withdecay)
08-26-2013, 04:32 PM
I just finished listening to the album. Holy crap, this really surprised me. "All Time Low" kicked me in the balls, I thought I was listening to another band. Rate: 9/10

Update: "Various Methods of Escape" is my favorite song right now, I can listen to this all day.

Dethbryte
08-26-2013, 04:33 PM
I like the album, but I'm only in love with a couple of tracks. Namely Find My Way, All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, and In Two.

This may change after more than one listen through, though.

Rabbit
08-26-2013, 04:51 PM
I like the album, but I'm only in love with a couple of tracks. Namely Find My Way, All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, and In Two.

This may change after more than one listen through, though.
i'm with you on this. I'll add Copy of A to that list.

It's a decent album, not fantastic, but not bad. Everything still shouldn't be included here. It throws the album off. Why not include it as a bonus or something?

Odd choice.

Thor
08-26-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm going all in.

Well, that's intense. Now my excitement is higher.

Akuratyde
08-26-2013, 04:59 PM
Well, I'm going to go against the grain and say that on my first listen I thought the overall album was rather average. There are definitely some stand out moments, "All Time Low", "In Two", and "Find My Way" being the ones that come to mind without having heard the album more than once. My expectations weren't too high either as I felt "Came Back Haunted", "Disappointed", and "Everything" were all pretty average.

Oddly enough, I'm a huge fan of analogue synthesizers, vintage drum machines, and minimal production. In fact, I listen to a lot of music in that vein, but I felt that the album needed more dynamics. It felt like a lot of the songs just have the same 4-8 bars on the drum machine repeating for the entire song. There wasn't enough contrast or variation within each song.

HOWEVER, I will refrain from making a final judgement until I've heard it a few more times. As I stated it's not a bad album, but I didn't think it was terribly amazing or original.

icklekitty
08-26-2013, 05:00 PM
As an enormous Justin Timberlake and Kylie Minogue fan, this album is fantastic. It reminds me of what Bowie was doing in the 90s, not so much in sound, but career direction. I love it to bits and really happy with it. Glad The Slip was a terrible terrible blip.

Also LMFAO GOTHS ARE GOING TO CRYYYYYYYYY

icklekitty
08-26-2013, 05:05 PM
Also, All Time Low sounds like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bItgfoBl4wE

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Satelite is some shit.

Sandy Phimester
08-26-2013, 05:12 PM
Ever since The Fragile it was a wait... well before that too, always.

But really two masterpiece albums in a row, and then we waited for With Teeth, which I quite liked, Year Zero, the Slip.... whatever, all of those post Fragile albums felt somewhat..... less somehow. I have a hard time writing down why it feels that way, but compared to TDS and The Fragile they felt a lot less adventurous and a lot less dynamic (maybe the right word is energetic?).... I dunno, that's where my problem with describing them comes into place.

But, I think this album, after a solid listen on my headphones today...... it definitely is a quiet album, by comparison, but it definitely also feels a lot more dynamic by comparison to the last few. Maybe it's all a matter of perspective, but who knows.

So far, after one solid listen it's impossible to rate, but it's pretty high for me right now. I think it has more focus and direction than the last few albums though. Obviously for me TDS and The Fragile are like.... never going to be touched again in terms of quality and songwriting.

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 05:21 PM
Does anyone remember when trent said interscope wanted him to make a record with more beats? Is this it after a number of years?

Frostellicus
08-26-2013, 05:22 PM
After my first listen, I agree with the very first review I read of this album:

"Fucking great" - Trent

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Does anyone remember when trent said interscope wanted him to make a record with more beats? Is this it after a number of years?
Not sayin I don't like it, it's just the first thing that came to my head when I heard "satellite"

Frostellicus
08-26-2013, 05:29 PM

What else is he meant to do - keep the same drum beat for every track?
When it's just you, drum software, and a seemingly unlimited supply of samples, you've got to keep it interesting which is exactly what he's done. The drum programming is ridiculously creative and brilliantly produced/mixed - 10/10.

Travis Lawler
08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
Satellite Just punched me in the face out of left field in a good way!

Akuratyde
08-26-2013, 05:36 PM
The drum programming is ridiculously creative and brilliantly produced/mixed - 10/10.

I don't know if I would go that far. There are definitely some interesting moments but the drum programming is certainly not "ridiculously creative". In fact, the lack of drum variation within each song (not from song-to-song) is one of my biggest complaints about this album. Go back and listen to "Copy Of A" through "Find My Way". There's almost no variation in the drum patterns in those songs. There are 4-5 different patterns at the most, and even a lot of those are subtle variations.

"Oh, he added hi-hats during this portion. Brilliant."

Millionaire
08-26-2013, 05:40 PM
I think this is masterful. The nin albums I've listened to most are The Downward Spiral and The Fragile; I probably listened to those a couple hundred times each. There is something about the layers and sounds in those albums that feels like nothing I've heard before or since. This album stands alongside those to me.

REPLICA
08-26-2013, 05:42 PM
Glad The Slip was a terrible terrible blip.

That's why it is called The Slip - lulz

Also LMFAO GOTHS ARE GOING TO CRYYYYYYYYY

They really are!

--
On topic, so far, I LOVE "In Two" and "All Time Low" right now.

Frostellicus
08-26-2013, 05:43 PM
...one of my biggest complaints about this album.

Trent's out there making incredible music, and nerds are finding things to complain abuot, then sitting on bulletin boards complaining because they don't think drum beats are diverse enough. ...

Thanks for reminding me why I don't visit internet forums. I'm done here.
Later, losers.

screwdriver
08-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Trent's out there making incredible music, and nerds are finding things to complain abuot, then sitting on bulletin boards complaining because they don't think drum beats are diverse enough. ...

Later, losers.

I don't completely share Akuratyde's opinion on the complexity of the programming, but he presented his opinion in a totally civil, reasonable way. don't be a dick.

(for the record, I think the complexity of the programming comes once you consider that the tracks are basically one giant sampler, not from thinking of them as individual components (bass, guitar, etc.).)

Microwave Jellyfish
08-26-2013, 05:51 PM
It's so strange. You see, I only got into NIN in 2009, after graduating from high school, but I've been an avid listener ever since. Getting a whole album of new material, with this new, but at the same time very familiar sound feels like these last four years of my adult life suddenly got a sequel. Like a book, or a movie. A really, really strange, but good feeling.

HM itself is my favorite post-TF NIN record right now, but I have to give it some time, a lot more listens, and a close look at the lyrics before I can judge it fairly in context of the NIN-discography. I genuinely believe that it is among the greatest albums of the decade so far, though.

nineismine
08-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Well, that's intense. Now my excitement is higher.

I really started with Broken and TDS and then proceeded to troll record stores buying every shred of nine inch nails remix and bootleg I could find. I spent oh so many hours with fixed on repeat (always skipping screaming slave) until I could barely tell you what the originals sounded like. That all being said:

I can't scoff at what he said nor can I scoff at people who call this the best ever. I'm not going to say that but there are songs on here that right now sound soooooooooooooooooo incredible to me I have to assume will settle in the top five or ten of all time for me.

Rabbit
08-26-2013, 05:57 PM
What else is he meant to do - keep the same drum beat for every track?
When it's just you, drum software, and a seemingly unlimited supply of samples, you've got to keep it interesting which is exactly what he's done. The drum programming is ridiculously creative and brilliantly produced/mixed - 10/10.
there is nothing creative and brilliant about his drum programming here.

Mr. Blaileen
08-26-2013, 06:08 PM

Later, losers.

Well...I mean, you're the butthurt one here, and because someone else had a different opinion? Lulz

Back on track, I listened to 'Copy of A', and loved it. Saving the rest for later. Can't wait.

NINSlave
08-26-2013, 06:13 PM
Hi everyone.

10/10
Satellite, In Two and While I'm Still Here
Standalone album. I wouldn't want to compare it to any other.
It gave me the same warm fuzzy feeling in my pants that both TDS and The Fragile gave me upon first listening.
Does anyone else find it weird how TR hinted it would probably be leaked this week and suddenly VOILA?!?!

Akuratyde
08-26-2013, 06:15 PM
On my second listen "Various Methods of Escape", "I Would For You", and "While I'm Still Here" really stood out, along with the aforementioned "All Time Low", "In Two" and "Find My Way".

Echoing some of the previous sentiments on this forum, it definitely seems like the second half of the album is stronger.

tw3rbz
08-26-2013, 06:16 PM
What's the first line in Satellite? That song is so fucking sick.

Sutekh
08-26-2013, 06:23 PM
Not bad! I'll just join in with the chorus of "best since fragile".

A full LP of bangers was about due. The dreaded rock guitar features less and less! Love that stuff, but this sounds good...

That one song has a verse that sounds very much like somewhat damaged

NIN64
08-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Liking it quite a bit. I Would For You is tits. . .

Sutekh
08-26-2013, 06:42 PM
Yep and love the later cure/early new order sound of "Everything" (with a bit of mary chain thrown in)

the breyer porridge remix of while I'm still here is great as well...

Leo_OAK
08-26-2013, 06:44 PM
Fragile is my second favorite album ever. Downward Spiral is Second.

I'm yet to listen the record after "Various Methods of Escape" and I feel very comfortable saying this: this is my third favorite NIN album.

This. is. fucking. AWESOME (I'm listening to Running right now and freaking out).

NINSlave
08-26-2013, 06:51 PM

To me it sounds like "Daydreams, Like fingernails, Scratch across, The sky" :confused:

Ryan
08-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Only listened to it once so far and have not listened to the 3 remixes yet, but this is way funkier/upbeat than I imagined it would be.

tw3rbz
08-26-2013, 06:56 PM
To me it sounds like "Daydreams, Like fingernails, Scratch across, The sky" :confused:
lol maybe that's right, doesn't really sounds like daydreams, daydrails? what? I dunno, and first time I heard it I heard "blacken your nails, scratch across the sky" which made me giddy for 90s trent. But yeah, I think it's like fingernails

Shadaloo
08-26-2013, 06:59 PM
They really are!

For what it's worth - not this one. Couldn't be happier with this album. ;)

NIN64
08-26-2013, 07:00 PM

Data trails. Like fingernails. Scratch across the sky.

tw3rbz
08-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Awesome! Thank you!

redwingsrock
08-26-2013, 07:19 PM
Listened to this all day at work skipping the prior released tracks. Then I took about a 4 hour break and came back to it to listen straight through. Updated thoughts below.

Find My Way actually sounds BETTER in the context of the whole album. It originally felt stale to me (since I listened to it more than enough when it was release), but sounded really fresh when I listened to it in the context of the album.

Various Methods of Escape is quickly becoming one of my favorite NIN songs ever.....so good.

Now I don't know if this was a concept album or not, but if the concept was to create an amazing record, I'd say...SUCCESS!

Edit to say how amazing In Two is. Could have EASILY have been on TDS.

ericy210
08-26-2013, 07:21 PM
Love it. Longest day at work in my cube ever. Wanted to throw open my laptop and hear my little speakers chirp away.
Lots here to grow into and digest.
i saw a lot of early comments saying its like niggy, which I hadn't listened to in ages. Do most of you agree? I just listened to some of the songs, the programming and space in the songs is like HM. Is that what you're hearing?

Tiz
08-26-2013, 07:21 PM
This. is. fucking. AWESOME (I'm listening to Running right now and freaking out).

Dude, Running kicks ass. It's my album MVP. Around Various Methods Of Escape is where I feel like the album kicks into overdrive.

frothy_ham
08-26-2013, 07:26 PM
There is a lot of depth here, I'm gonna have to let it ooze all over me and fill up my cracks for the next...forever...

That said, my immediate reaction is that I really fucking love the crap out it and I'm just full of excitement over listening to it more. I'm trying to be honest, but I think I find I'm agreeing with a lot of others that it's probably the strongest thing since The Fragile...but it's SO different than anything else that NIN has ever done before that I find a hard time legitimately comparing it. It definitely feels to be his more emotionally honest material than PHM/TDS, feels like we are getting a clearer picture of who TR really is.

joplinpicasso
08-26-2013, 07:32 PM
It's gettin' hardah to tell the two of you apart

What the FUCK is that vocal effect before the first chorus of In Two?

thefragile_jake
08-26-2013, 07:33 PM
I was incredibly upset with myself this morning as I had woken up with a cold and felt under the weather, considered calling into work but didn't. By the time I actually got into the parking lot around 9-ish, I checked Twitter and seen that it had leaked. It was a mixture of both excitement and dread knowing it was going to be around a good eight hours before I give this a proper listen. I contemplating waiting until I got home to give anything a spin but I couldn't help myself on my lunch and got introduced to all the previously unreleased tracks up until I Would For You. I listened to them in my car and while it wasn't the best first time to hear the new tracks, I could tell I liked them.

I got home as quickly as I could and actually didn't feel as sick as I did this morning so I decided to go on a walk/hike and give this a proper headphones listen.

Guys....this is the truth...

I'm going all in.

There are moments in this album that take me back to the first time I experienced Nine Inch Nails in junior high and it also takes me to places that I never imagined Trent going. It's exactly what I was looking for in a new record, something full of texture and layers as well as being diverse enough giving each song a different kind of personality. Trent's voice sounds incredible and his voice sounds the most young it has since probably With Teeth. You can tell there was a lot of production put into this one and it really payed off.

Some tracks remind me of Thom Yorke's solo work, Everything still reminds me of why I love the Cure so much....but all of it feels very much within Trent Reznor's world.

It's still so new that it's hard for me to pick out overall favorites but there are moments in every single song that had me at goosebumps or smiling ear to ear.

9 out of 10.

I'm even going to wait out and listen to the remixes when my deluxe edition comes in the mail next week. This has been more than enough for me. I can see myself falling in love with this record more and more with each listen.

NINSlave
08-26-2013, 07:35 PM

Ah...Data trails. Sounds good.
I was almost beginning to think it was "Dreidels" but that would have been way too trippy....haha!!

Rabbit
08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
It's gettin' hardah to tell the two of you apart

What the FUCK is that vocal effect before the first chorus of In Two?

i don't know but i love it and i wish it was used throughout the song. I wish trent would do more of this to be honest. I want a real industrial album from NIN.

redwingsrock
08-26-2013, 08:00 PM
i don't know but i love it and i wish it was used throughout the song. I wish trent would do more of this to be honest. I want a real industrial album from NIN.

That's my favorite part of the song. I think it's a fine line to trot though. If he added effects like that often, I could see the novelty/cool factor wearing off.

Volk
08-26-2013, 08:01 PM
"10/10. It makes my pussy wet" - Miley Cyrus

Copy of A
08-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Rating: 10/10

Standouts: Copy of A, All Time Low, Dissapointed, Satellite, Various Methods of Escape, I Would For You, In Two

Album Compared to: I could compare some parts to the Liars latest outing, WIXIW... Though they're quite different, this is the closest comparison I can make.

I would definitely say this is Trent's best work since The Fragile, though I personally think its better than The Fragile and maybe even Downward Spiral. It's seriously that good. The more I listen to it, the more I realize how great it really is. And the layers in this album, in subtle fashion, are nothing short of brilliant in terms of placement and usage.

That said, I must say I'm concerned with how the live shows will end up seeing as though a lot of this music will involve "pressing play". Nevertheless, I have tickets to the Nashville show and can't wait.

Skeptikk
08-26-2013, 08:17 PM
Rating out of 10?
11/10
Standout tracks?
All Time Low is my All Time High.
Other comments?
Expanded The Eater of Dreams and Black Noise. Do Want.

Copy of A
"10/10. It makes my pussy wet" - Miley Cyrus
This album is very twerkable!

NotoriousTIMP
^^^^^
stupid computer freaked out. I dont know why I thumb'd up and facepalmed your post :(

Am I the only one who really isn't digging the vocal delivery of Disappointed?

Warped_Savant
08-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Nope. I don't like it either.

So far Disappointed and All Time Low are my two least favorite tracks on the album.
(Yes, I prefer Everything over those two songs so far...)

Copy of A
08-26-2013, 08:23 PM
^^^^^
stupid computer freaked out. I dont know why I thumb'd up and facepalmed your post :(

I think it's great, love it

spahn
08-26-2013, 08:24 PM
In Two - good gawd! what a track. so far my fave after one go around.

nashstat
08-26-2013, 08:29 PM
That layer build up at the end of Satellite (from 2:55 - to the end) is TR at his best IMHO... No one does it better than him.

All the little sounds that he adds as the song goes on... Since there are no loud guitars, and just a simple clear beat, you can actually hear every single layer build up on top of each other!

Thor
08-26-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm going to wait until I have the album on my hands, but reading all of this non-spoiler comments make me really glad and make my expectatives higher, reading for several times that HM is as good (or even better) as The Fragile produces a wierd feeling, since TF is probably my favorite NIN album, but then I guess HM is fucking huge and formidable. :D

nineismine
08-26-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm going to wait until I have the album on my hands, but reading all of this non-spoiler comments make me really glad and make my expectatives higher, reading for several times that HM is as good (or even better) as The Fragile produces a wierd feeling, since TF is probably my favorite NIN album, but then I guess HM is fucking huge and formidable. :D

You know whats crazy? When I read this I put myself in your shoes for a moment and thought "Will I be disappointed?" and with as much as you have read here I dont even think you could be :) this album fucking rocks.

Kristin Short
08-26-2013, 08:37 PM
I'm only on All Time Low so far. My mind is completely blown. At a loss for words really, this is so good.

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Is it just me, but disappointed sounds a little bit like radiohead?

nashstat
08-26-2013, 08:42 PM
Rating: 10/10

That said, I must say I'm concerned with how the live shows will end up seeing as though a lot of this music will involve "pressing play". Nevertheless, I have tickets to the Nashville show and can't wait.

That is exactly what I thought about "Only" when it came out... how on earth are they going to play it live and make it sound so good with everything going on in the song... TR did it, and it sounds amazing live! So I wouldn't worry.

toomanyrifts
08-26-2013, 08:45 PM

I was calling it the "best ever" since the first listen.

You know, before everything grows on you.

after 6 complete listens through, I've started playing single songs on repeat, trying to "absorb" them all. It's crazy that they're growing as single songs as much as they are a complete work of art.

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 08:55 PM
Right now I find myself skipping the opener and the 5 songs we had previously heard (Copy of A, Came Back Haunted, Find My Way, Disappointed, Everything) because they just don't seem to stand up to the rest. From Satellite onward, it's just a constant barrage of incredible songs. I hope one day that they sound good again, so I don't have to skip the entire first half (other than All Time Low which is also incredible)...

Thor
08-26-2013, 08:55 PM
You know whats crazy? When I read this I put myself in your shoes for a moment and thought "Will I be disappointed?" and with as much as you have read here I dont even think you could be :) this album fucking rocks.

I really think so, man. And you know? I never thought I would be dissapointed in any aspect after reading all the comments, and you know why? Because in here, everyone speaks their mind, it's like with 'Everything', that half of this site said shit on it and the other half was loving it. So I guess that if the album wasn't good, everyone in here would be crying or something, but it's not the case.

I trust in you, guys.

Kristin Short
08-26-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm on Satellite now. Haven't heard the rest of the album yet. The rest of the songs could be complete shit-eating stinkers and I can still say this is the best album since TF. I was an Everything hater but now I can see that it does flow nicely with the rest of the songs. I didn't even think that could be possible.

nineismine
08-26-2013, 08:58 PM
I'm on Satellite now. Haven't heard the rest of the album yet. The rest of the songs could be complete shit-eating stinkers and I can still say this is the best album since TF. I was an Everything hater but now I can see that it does flow nicely with the rest of the songs. I didn't even think that could be possible.

whats awesome is some of the best are coming!

Leo_OAK
08-26-2013, 09:00 PM
I was incredibly upset with myself this morning as I had woken up with a cold and felt under the weather, considered calling into work but didn't. By the time I actually got into the parking lot around 9-ish, I checked Twitter and seen that it had leaked. It was a mixture of both excitement and dread knowing it was going to be around a good eight hours before I give this a proper listen. I contemplating waiting until I got home to give anything a spin but I couldn't help myself on my lunch and got introduced to all the previously unreleased tracks up until I Would For You. I listened to them in my car and while it wasn't the best first time to hear the new tracks, I could tell I liked them.

I got home as quickly as I could and actually didn't feel as sick as I did this morning so I decided to go on a walk/hike and give this a proper headphones listen.

Guys....this is the truth...

There are moments in this album that take me back to the first time I experienced Nine Inch Nails in junior high and it also takes me to places that I never imagined Trent going. It's exactly what I was looking for in a new record, something full of texture and layers as well as being diverse enough giving each song a different kind of personality. Trent's voice sounds incredible and his voice sounds the most young it has since probably With Teeth. You can tell there was a lot of production put into this one and it really payed off.

Some tracks remind me of Thom Yorke's solo work, Everything still reminds me of why I love the Cure so much....but all of it feels very much within Trent Reznor's world.

It's still so new that it's hard for me to pick out overall favorites but there are moments in every single song that had me at goosebumps or smiling ear to ear.

9 out of 10.

I'm even going to wait out and listen to the remixes when my deluxe edition comes in the mail next week. This has been more than enough for me. I can see myself falling in love with this record more and more with each listen.

Your opinion about the album reflects EXACTLY what I feel about it.

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 09:00 PM
whats awesome is some of the best are coming!
To say the least.

I would pay some money to hear the end arc (I Would For You/In Two/While I'm Still Here/Black Noise) for the first time again. Perhaps the best storytelling Trent has done in that arc.

Kristin Short
08-26-2013, 09:02 PM
To say the least.

I would pay some money to hear the end arc (I Would For You/In Two/While I'm Still Here/Black Noise) for the first time again. Perhaps the best storytelling Trent has done in that arc.

I can't wait! It's coming up...

Rabbit
08-26-2013, 09:05 PM
I'm only on All Time Low so far. My mind is completely blown. At a loss for words really, this is so good.
There is nothing mind blowing about this cd. Nothing, at all. It's a decent album, nothing more, nothing less. There's nothing groundbreaking here, or particularly new (besides Everything, which is awful).

Lyrics: still the same "slipping away" yada yada.
Beats: uninspired. raw and basic.
Atmosphere: a strong point for this album but no sounds we haven't really heard before. Same drones, TDS type guitars, Fragile like bells and such.

Not trying to hate on the album, i like most of the songs but the "hype" should be toned down.

nineismine
08-26-2013, 09:06 PM
There is nothing mind blowing about this cd. Nothing, at all. It's a decent album, nothing more, nothing less. There's nothing groundbreaking here, or particularly new (besides Everything, which is awful).

Atmosphere: a strong point for this album but no sounds we haven't really heard before. Same drones, TDS type guitars, Fragile like bells and such.

Not trying to hate on the album, i like most of the songs but the "hype" should be toned down.

My mind is blown.

redwingsrock
08-26-2013, 09:13 PM

I think maybe the "mind blowing" part is partially due to the fact that "Everything" was released and Trent's "Minimalistic" comments. Neither of which are even remotely what the album is like.

Zazzaro703
08-26-2013, 09:17 PM
My review:

Holy fucking shit Everything just blew my mind in context. How did that happen. I'm fucked.

Yup, didn't really care for the song on its own, love it on the album. Add me to the group that thinks its the album I've been waiting for since the fragile. I liked all the stuff he put out since then, but they just didn't reach the level of the fragile with me. Hesitation Marks does.

voidnz
08-26-2013, 09:20 PM
The fact everyone loves this straight away worries me if it's going to still be thought of as great in a year. Great albums are often hated at first and grow.

Zazzaro703
08-26-2013, 09:23 PM

Sucks for you buddy.

exilajei
08-26-2013, 09:25 PM
The fact everyone loves this straight away worries me if it's going to still be thought of as great in a year. Great albums are often hated at first and grow.

Often, but not always.

Damian
08-26-2013, 09:28 PM
It's about half and half for me. The stuff I'm digging: The Eater of Dreams, Copy of A, All Time Low, Satellite, Various Methods & In Two. The other stuff not so much, just doesn't pull me in. As an album, kind of miss where it was a cohesive flow from start to end this feels more like collection of songs kind of like The Slip. Disappointed sounds a lot like Ferral from King of Limbs - down to the vocal effects. All Time Low and Satellite give me a huge YZ vibe, Various Methods is cool - the Dead Souls type drums is awesome. In Two is probably one of the coolest things he's done since TF. Really feeling a kinship to Burn. Copy A is still my favorite of what's been played live, Eater of Dreams is cool but short. The intro and outro tracks feel more like they were just split from their partnered tracks.

Amaro
08-26-2013, 09:36 PM
First few songs I went back to after the first listen were Various Methods of Escape, I Would For You, and In Two. So legitimate. Ugh.

Just finished the first rotation. Going back around again here shortly, absolutely.

My first album impression is honestly rather muddy, because it is overall wildly different from other NIN albums, while still NIN...

VERY crazy to see this join the catalog, but...goddamnit, welcome.

I can't imagine the sheer surprise that will be felt for anyone who's held out from EVERYTHING (everything) from this album, who are waiting for the physical thing in their hands. Bravo, godspeed...you will be shot the farthest out of a cannin.

spitefulscorpio
08-26-2013, 09:36 PM
Well, I just finished it up. I love it, it's perfect. Least favorite tracks are CBH and Everything. Definitely my favorite album since TF. I'm pretty certain that won't be changing since I really can't even stand TS and YZ is so-so. I like WT but HM takes it to the next level for me. Like the first time I heard PHM, TDS and TF.

Zazzaro703
08-26-2013, 09:39 PM
Yeah sort of personal but as someone who just recently conquered opiate addiction a song like various methods of escape just makes my day. The whole album is relatable to being beyond addiction and the challenges that come with it. IMHO at least.

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 09:40 PM
Its definitely interesting. Very different from anything in the "NIN" catalog, but still has that sense of familiarity. It sounds like a natural progression from HTDA and his soundtrack work.

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 09:41 PM
One of the most interesting works he has done. That's for sure.

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 09:48 PM
My review as of today.

Pretty fucking good.

That is all.

dunebug81
08-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Is it just me or does All Time Low seem to sound a whole hell of a lot like the music found in Final Fantasy I?

So far the record kicks ass!

cynicmuse
08-26-2013, 09:51 PM
I think that the vocal delivery is neat in that it has the same timbre as the erhu solo later in the song. Though I just like the song in general due to the erhu and the beep-boop synth background loop.

spitefulscorpio
08-26-2013, 10:06 PM
How am I supposed to go to sleep now? I can't get it out of my head.

Leo_OAK
08-26-2013, 10:08 PM
Hesitation Marks is so good I wish I could call Trent Reznor and tell him he is a fucking genius.

chroipahtz
08-26-2013, 10:09 PM
How am I supposed to go to sleep now? I can't get it out of my head.
♪ I just don't know anymore... ♪

joplinpicasso
08-26-2013, 10:11 PM
More thoughts:
Running is totally Thom Yorke/Atoms For Peace-inspired. Someone (?) else around here was right, but pages have been flying!

The outro vocal delivery on VMOE is amazingly addicting.

The harmonies and bass during the second chorus of In Two is insane.

The intro synth on COA is still as sinister as when I first heard it. There are songs here I've always wanted NIN to make, and then there are songs I never imaged NIN would make, in a good way.

EDIT: Re-reading botley 's review after having heard it. He definitely nailed it (...) by claiming HM is Trent's most personal and 'emotional' work since With Teeth. Many forget how personal that album really is.

Crossroad
08-26-2013, 10:12 PM
goosebumps.

Shadaloo
08-26-2013, 10:24 PM
Okay. Wow.

Now I had myself some cursory listens to a few tracks at work, but just now I did what I've been saying I'd do as soon as I got hold of the whole thing and had some spare time - go right to a coffee shop, sit outside, plug in, and zone out watching the crowds go by while I focus on it. And what a piece of work this is, folks.

I'm not going to pretend I've really absorbed the whole thing, not after one listen. And I'm not going to toss out arbitrary judgments like ''It's better than Broken or With Teeth or Year Zero, etc.'' But I feel pretty damn accurate in saying that - there is this pedestal that everyone holds TDS and TF up on (and to an extent, PHM), an entirely deserved one, to be sure. And I think that one of the reasons we have such strong attachments to those albums is that they broke new ground in what people figured 'NIN could be' (in some cases, what an album under such a label as 'industrial' could be). And that's something that Trent hasn't really recaptured since The Fragile; not with W_T, YZ, Ghosts or TS. Not really. When those came out, it was a matter of ''Holy shit, this sounds so fucking great. Trent did it again you guys!!'' This is a matter of ''How the fuck does anyone have such confidence and ability to put this out under this label, retain the elements we love the work for, and still be bold enough to try whatever the fuck that was I just heard?''

That's what I kept thinking when I went through this album. ''I would have never expected him to do THAT.'' Right off the bat I'll say this; this is a ridiculously poppy album. I could completely envision Michael Jackson's vocals over 'Satellite'. It'd be perhaps one of the harshest sounding things the king of Pop ever did, but it wouldn't be out of place on an album I feel he would have maybe done today, if he had a bent towards some edgier soundscapes.

The range of soundscapes is one of the things that gets me about this. ''All Time Low'' is an instant classic to be added to the NIN repertoire, and if it doesn't become a setlist regular in the future, in the way that, say, 'Me, I'm Not' is right now I will eat my hat, as well as all the babies I can find within a forty mile radius. I'm that sure. How do you go from unadulturated funk, to 80's cure wankiness, to whatever the fuck ''Running'' is (seriously, I cannot even fathom this song I just heard properly once) on the same album and have it fit comfortably on the NIN banner? I don't understand, and I love that I don't understand.

All of this is not even in consideration of this album's thematic ties with TDS, the lyrics that try to explain how far Trent has come from the person he was in the 90's, which I love it for and will probably be able to type an essay up on after future listens. Holy shit. I can't even think about any of that now.

Now, it's not a perfect album. I'm not going to mindlessly jizz over every single track. I can be a bit fanboyish - surely a thing to be forgiven on this board - but TR's done a few things over his career I'm not into. Here and now, I'm not entirely convinced Hesitation Marks flows well, especially not the first half. And I've heard better NIN album closers than 'While I'm Still Here' into 'Black Noise'. It's also pretty damn evident that Everything and Satellite were written in advance of the rest of this album. It's going to take me a long time to figure out where it's going to go on my 'preferred albums' list. For now I'm thinking pretty fucking high, but that may change.

I'm digressing. My point is this: I feel like this is an important album. Not just in establishing what NIN can be, but in terms of Trent's career. It's a watershed moment. I definitely don't see this being the last of NIN, not when he's breathed new life into it the way he has here. He said he wanted to take NIN to new places. He fucking succeeded with gold stripes is my feel. This is going to turn some people off. It's going to bring some out of retirement and back into actively listening to NIN. And most importantly, my main feel is it's going to attract a metric shit-ton of new listeners and a whole new audience in a way he may not have really done in ages. This is an 'important' album. Nothing more, nothing less.

I'm remembering when Trent was commenting on The Fragile before it came out, and he said ''People are going to hate it. It sounds like an old Prince record.'' I can't help but smile at how true the sentiment of that statement holds here, what we all got, and how we came to love it after we made sense of it. And I think it's happening all over again.

Fucking awesome album. That's all.

That other guy
08-26-2013, 10:25 PM
Thx for sharing all your thoughts, my opinion is its a big overall change, but a real good one..loving the headphones!!!

NINisamazing
08-26-2013, 10:32 PM

The only point that could be ok here, was your point about the lyrics. But even that was a bit of a stretch.

Leo_OAK
08-26-2013, 10:33 PM
My ranking would be 9/10.

I Would For You is unbelievable.

All Time Low is sick.

In Two is like Front 242 remixed by Nivek Ogre for DFA records.

And I might confess: Various Methods of Escape brought tears to my eyes. Last time that happened by listening a new NIN song: 1999, with The Fragile (the song).

Conrad Lienert
08-26-2013, 10:35 PM
I love all the album (apart from 'Everything"). But, I'm addicted to Satellite! I keep trying to listen through the album again, but I keep playing the shit out of Satellite!

goingincirclez
08-26-2013, 10:38 PM
On my 4th solid headphone journey through HM as I type this, I stand by my (and others') assertion that the TDS / TF comparisons are well earned. But I think I can articulate my point of view better now.

I always felt that With Teeth and The Slip were fine albums, if a bit rough, and part of that roughness was a sense of forced, deliberate aggression. They were as if Trent was saying "shit, I have a hardcore rep to live up to... lemme drop kick some bastids and punch some throats for the hell of it". And while the effort was deliberate, and sincere, the sentiment sometimes felt contrived. (I leave YZ out of this since that was a contigious story ark, and Ghosts was the experimental foundation for film scoring, etc). WT and TS have great moments but lurch from one to the next, neither sure where they are from, or going.

HM is a much more focused work. Its exquisite production and deep layering filters upon the simplest of unwavering beat loops, but those loops form a consistent hearbeat. The entire album feels breathless, natural, and effortlessly sincere in all the ways that the other post-Fragile works felt forced and overwrought.

Perhaps that is what Trent meant when he said HM was "minimal". There's no "overthinking" here. The same old emotions cascade into lyrics and the music swaddles them lovingly. Sure, it's lasciviously produced and not a bleep is out of turn, but it flows and breathes in a visceral fashion. Even the placement of "Everything" (which is nowhere near as terrible as people moan) imparts a climactic rush as the reckoning unfolds. All throughout HM, that distortion and emotion is organic. How ironic that a lack of live drums could actually impart life to a work - that consistent synthetic hearbeat pounds throughout the album... a steady tone supporting an organism stubbornly, desperately clinging to what's dear.... only in the end is it engulfed with Black Noise... a perfect conclusion.

TL;DR: I fucking adore this album. So worth the wait... even if you tally it as 14 years.

steelnails95
08-26-2013, 10:40 PM
I do not hate Running, it is growing on me for sure, but I do think it is the most skip worthy track.

steelnails95
08-26-2013, 10:46 PM
The fact everyone loves this straight away worries me if it's going to still be thought of as great in a year. Great albums are often hated at first and grow.Even though I do love it I do see it as a grower for sure. I was taken back first listen

OSLIN
08-26-2013, 10:47 PM
I do not hate Running, it is growing on me for sure, but I do think it is the most skip worthy track.

I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but Running just gives me a hard on. (Sorry to be blunt)
It's like PHM the 2013 edition.

Akuratyde
08-26-2013, 11:03 PM

I agree, I also think it's a little premature to give the album a 10/10 or say it's the best album since TDS or TF when it's only been out for less than 24 hours. I'll be really curious to see what people are saying about it a year, five years, or even ten years from now. Maybe it really will live up to all of the praise it's getting (at least on here), I guess only time will tell.

steelnails95
08-26-2013, 11:07 PM
I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but Running just gives me a hard on. (Sorry to be blunt)
Its not bad but it only makes my semi hard... None of the tracks are bad. The worst NIN track is better then anything else out...

goingincirclez
08-26-2013, 11:10 PM
Ah, oops, I forgot to mention a most crucial point in review:

My 5- and 8- year old daughters absolutely GROOVED to All Time Low, Satellite and Running.

And damn, this might be the first lyricized NIN album I could let my 8yo listen to end to end without censoring too much (ATL notwithstanding, but explained in context, she's heard worse from me).

Sigh. I'm either a terrible or awesome parent.

captainbeyond
08-26-2013, 11:16 PM
I just don't know anymore. . .

botley
08-26-2013, 11:21 PM
Re-reading @botley (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) 's review after having heard it. He definitely nailed it (...) by claiming HM is Trent's most personal and 'emotional' work since With Teeth. Many forget how personal that album really is.
Thank you for your kind words, but I didn't say that; however, it is the best portrayal (as in a piece of art) that TR has done which relates to his inner life since then. I also think The Slip is personally quite heart-felt and emotive, though maybe not to the extent of With Teeth or this album. There are great songs on Slip, but certain aspects of that album's production didn't really gel due to the insane time constraints enforced as an experiment. Clearly, giving the music more time to breathe and mature in the studio makes good sense when it comes to NIN.

Aeneas
08-26-2013, 11:30 PM
I've been through it about three times, and I think it's incredibly strong. Musically it's kind of like an expansion of the sound (but not the lyrical content) of "Closer." It's very rhythmic, every song is built off of a beat, and very bass-heavy. The thing really grooves. I'm gonna hold off on calling "Best since TF or TDS" until some more time passes, but so far, I am very impressed.

The standout tracks are "Satellite," "Find My Way," "All Time Low," "Copy of A," "Various Methods of Escape," "Disappointed," and "Came Back Haunted." The only track that doesn't quite work is "Everything." As weird as "Everything" felt as a single, it's even MORE out of place when placed in an album of dark electronic-rock. It's not a bad song, but it doesn't fit in the flow of the album, and it should've been cut.

ComradeCornhole
08-26-2013, 11:34 PM

Look closer...

thevoid99
08-26-2013, 11:49 PM
I finally listened to the album just now as I had stuff to do today. Based on its first listen, I think it's really good. Definitely better than the last two records as well as With Teeth though I think Year Zero is still the better album based on sequencing and such. Still, I think it's quite remarkable. "All Time Low" is fucking great as is "Satellite". Tomorrow, I'll go into multiple listens to divulge the album.

Aeneas
08-27-2013, 12:27 AM
I finally listened to the album just now as I had stuff to do today. Based on its first listen, I think it's really good. Definitely better than the last two records as well as With Teeth though I think Year Zero is still the better album based on sequencing and such. Still, I think it's quite remarkable. "All Time Low" is fucking great as is "Satellite". Tomorrow, I'll go into multiple listens to divulge the album.

Agreed on All Time Low and Satellite. I think those are the classics that are going to emerge from this album.

Halo Infinity
08-27-2013, 12:31 AM
I was sort of thinking the same thing, but with some hints and dashes of With Teeth too. And like all other releases that came out after I became a fan of NIN, it has certainly made the year for me. ;)

Bachy
08-27-2013, 01:06 AM
My review:

http://static4.fjcdn.com/thumbnails/comments/GIF+relatd..they+are+happy+tears+_77c8631540372bce 01f4014c5d93d40c.gif

thefragilecat
08-27-2013, 01:15 AM
Rating: 9/10
Stand out tracks: All time low, various methods of escape, running, i would for you, in two, while i'm still here
Running gave me goose bumps, just seemed to be the perfect 'Trent' song

Honestly, I did not expect anything great from this. Just a couple days ago, I told a friend that based on what Trent has given us so far that this would be a sub par album at best. I stand corrected and amazed. This album kind of takes me back to middle school when I discovered NIN and felt like all could be OK in the world. I owe Trent a hand shake and a 'Thank you for helping me through the dark times'

nineismine
08-27-2013, 01:16 AM
The only point that could be ok here, was your point about the lyrics. But even that was a bit of a stretch.
this Rabbit guy is just trolling.

Bachy
08-27-2013, 01:18 AM

http://i.imgur.com/l4MeC9b.gif?1

the_tic_begins
08-27-2013, 01:19 AM
Controversial opinion warning

I've been a fan since picking up TDS on a whim in 98.
After spinning this a few times today through headphones and surround sound, I'm extremely underwhelmed.
It goes along way to explaining the boring concert performances so far. Album is so flat and sythy. No umpth, no passion.
Sounds like Trents just going through the numbers. I understand he's in a different place and not a angry young man anymore.
I'm sure I'll cope a heap of shit for this. 3/10 .
Maybe it will grow on me, or maybe like The slip in will grow dusty on the shelf in the corner

Edit: Deleted comment about "bored family man". If that was truly the case he wouldn't have bothered with releasing album at all and just done a tour.

ComradeCornhole
08-27-2013, 01:24 AM

I've been a fan since picking up TDS on a whim in 98.
After spinning this a few times today through headphones and surround sound, I'm extremely underwhelmed.
It goes along way to explaining the boring concert performances so far. Album is so flat and sythy. No umpth, no passion.
Sounds like Trents just going through the numbers. I understand he's in a different place and not a angry young man anymore.
Instead we get a bored family man making sure his kids will be going to a elite private school.
I'm sure I'll cope a heap of shit for this. 3/10 .
Maybe it will grow on me, or maybe like The slip in will grow dusty on the shelf in the corner

Nah. No hate here. Just a loving, sympathetic pat on the head while thinking, "Oh, you poor thing."

Sandy Phimester
08-27-2013, 01:25 AM
I'm listening to a it a lot tonight as I edit photos...

It's not an album that needs to grow on me, I think it just needs to be examined a bit more. I will definitely agree that it's the best NIN album since The Fragile. In the deepest part of my sincerity I wish there was a bit more angry/loud/yelling sort of tracks (even without guitar, but I'd take that too) as I personally gravitate to albums like TDS the most, but.... this album is REALLY GOOD, like REAL GOOD. It, to me anyway, has way more depth than With Teeth or Year Zero, and I quite like those albums too. But to me this is better.

This does feel great to be listening to, and I CANNOT WAIT for my vinyl version to arrive.

The remix album!!!!

Let's hope it also sort of goes back to Further Down The Spiral.... because that was a goddamn brilliant thing on it's own as well.

nineismine
08-27-2013, 01:32 AM

I feel like we have some very different definitions of umpth and passion. There are songs on here that are just pretty much trent opening up his heart and exposing some very personal thoughts and feelings. Having said you picked up TDS in 98 you can't just be a kid so it is very curious to me that you wouldn't be able to identify with the themes here. We must have lead very different lives, I would think that anyone who's struggled in their lifetime could at least feel some emotion listening to a song like Various Methods of Escape or I would for you. Those songs are fantastic by my standards.

"Album is so flat and sythy." Ugh Various methods of Escape does not sound flat at all to me. I hear rich tones that draw me in and trent's plea to himself or someone "I gotta let go, I gotta get straight" well theres nothing flat about that song for certain.

I don't want to attack your opinion and that's not my intent but I can't help but scoff at the statement that hes just "going through the numbers". This album sounds very different than the things hes done by the numbers.

"Instead we get a bored family man making sure his kids will be going to a elite private school."

Really? That is just ridiculous.

Khrz
08-27-2013, 01:33 AM
The remix album!!!!

Let's hope it also sort of goes back to Further Down The Spiral.... because that was a goddamn brilliant thing on it's own as well.

Including five remixes of Everything !

I kid, but damn that would be amazing if he could double the trick and deliver a current FDTS...

Toadflax
08-27-2013, 01:35 AM
I've posted a truncated version of this general sentiment in a couple other threads, so forgive me for anyone who already read something similar.

I'm writing this from the perspective of someone who hasn't been completely in love with anything since The Fragile (though Year Zero came close), so fair warning to those of you whose favorite album is With Teeth or The Slip.

For me, these are the songs off With Teeth, Year Zero, and The Slip that blew me away:

All The Love In The World
Sunspots
Right Where It Belongs
The Good Soldier
Me, I'm Not
My Violent Heart
In This Twilight
Demon Seed

And here are the songs that made me cringe and feel like TR was either treading old ground or not keeping himself in check:

The Hand That Feeds
Only
The Beginning Of The End
Capital G
Letting You

So the first list is mostly electronic and mellow music, whereas the second list is largely rock-based (minus the cool 80's sounds in THTF and the beats of Only and Capital G, which are the best things about those songs to me). Given that, I feel like the last 8 years has seen someone who rose to power in a rock genre trying to maintain that rock persona. Granted, NIN has never been a rock band in the traditional sense- PHM was mostly electronic, Broken only had four original songs with lyrics, and TDS and The Fragile were more about soundscapes and moods than crunchy guitars, but, for lack of a more appropriate genre, Nine Inch Nails was/is labeled a hard rock band.

In retrospect, the three post-Fragile albums (I'm setting Ghosts aside as an entirely separate entity here) see a guy whose heart is not in rock music anymore try to make rock songs. The more the songs moved toward rock, the more so-so they were, but the more the songs were new and experimental, the more interesting and, in my opinion, good they were.

Hesitation Marks feels to me like the first time in this millennium Trent has just made the album he wanted to make without worrying about how it would fit into his oeuvre. Those of you hoping to hear the next piece in a TDS-Fragile-HM trilogy will likely be disappointed. Those of you hoping to hear the best music this man could possibly make at this point in his life will be ecstatic.

That's what it comes down to, I think. This truly sounds like the output of someone living up to his true potential. Some of the songs I mentioned in the second list just sound lazy to me. Let's write something and get it out there. Hesitation Marks was clearly crafted with care.

It's very hard to say on the first day of release, but I really feel somewhere between an 8-9 out of 10 for this one. Someone raised a good point that liking something so quickly may detract from how we feel about it in a few weeks/months/years, but I feel like the layers and breadth of styles on this album will keep us surprised for a little while.

I'm in my thirties now. It's not often I hear something that makes me say, "I've never heard anything like this before" (and also like it). Hesitation Marks has absolutely succeeded there.

Bachy
08-27-2013, 01:37 AM
Instead we get a bored family man making sure his kids will be going to a elite private school.

http://media1.giphy.com/media/gLrWjmW6XljZC/original.gif

Toadflax
08-27-2013, 01:41 AM

Karl Pilkington for the win. The only facepalm the world will ever need.

telee.kom
08-27-2013, 01:41 AM
This my rather lengthy response to the new album no one give two shits about, but I kinda want to get these things out of my chest.

I kinda wish I was strong enough person not listen to songs from the album before I had a chance to listen to it in it's entirety, because now I'm not sure how to compare first and second half of the album. I know Copy Of A and Disappointed were songs I was most psyched about when I first heard them, Find My Way is great too and I'm sure this song will find it's place when I'll have the mood for it. I wasn't really a fan of Came Back Haunted, but after settling in, hearing live version and seeing where Trent went with NIN sound I like it. And I'm 100 percent sure I hate Everything. I just can't stand the song and first thing I did was erasing it from the album playlist. Which is kind of a bummer because I can't listen to the whole album. Ever. But this is just not for me. Like Trent said "it feels too obvious, too much in the face" and that's exactly how I would described it. This just don't feels like a NIN song, more like a parody of summer hit playing on the your local radio. Just, no.

First song from the second part of the album (meaning the songs I didn't hear so far) is All Time Low. And first thing I thought of is Closer. It has that sexy sound, Trent's phrasing, whispering, the beat. If I was the person who would be responsible for picking the singles, this would be my obvious choice. "Hey, everything is not okay!" as long as Trent starts to shout this, I know this is gonna be a one of my favourites. I was a bit worried about Satellite being from the same period of time as Everything expecting another radio friendly best hits song. And to be honest first minute of the song left me bit uncertain. But as the song starts to unfold and blossom I know this is not the case. What start's as a beat from Britney Spears song grow to some Year Zero worthy sounds. I think this is the defining song structure of all the new songs. They all starts really easy, uncomplicated with just simple beat and Trent's voice and starts to grow, layering all those sounds into one wonderful piece. I think this is something new in Trent's song writing, but I think I like it. Various Methods Of Escape made me realize how fucking great choruses Trent could write. This is really a hook how it supposed to be, I mean "Why'd you have to make it so hard, let me get away" this is NIN how I remember them. There might be some up beat songs on HM, but is this a happy album? Just listen to the lyrics. No way. Running starts with almost world-music primal beat I really like, but dragging down by lyrics a bit for me. I mean "they're right behind, so hard to find, as good as pie, I'm out of time" isn't really Nobel prize worthy line, is it. I Would For You is pretty standard song. It didn't really stand out to me in any respect, but it's good song. I really like that typical Trent-ish piano ending. I think this is deeply personal song for Trent. At least the lyrics really seem to correlate with his life. Getting married, having kids - "Since you have let yourself come in, some things I'd rather you not see" sums it up for me nicely. In Two, I think the first song that starts somewhat angry, but that's just a pose. Trent's using auto-tune (meh, I don't like that thing). The quiet breakdown is what did the song for me. While I'm Still Here, not so impressed in the beginning, but boy this song will take you for a ride. There is a sax in the end! When was it the last time you heard sax in NIN song. I don't even remember. It fades amazingly into Black Noise this is really strong ending. Really moody. Really.. not so hopefully sounding after all.

So like I said. I have no idea how to compare the new songs to the old ones. I don't know where they stands in the album as far as my likeableness (oh my god is that a word? cool) goes. But the album in overall? I like it very very much. I need to give this few more weeks to have some definitive answer, but in my eyes, this is a lot better than Slip, Ghosts (not being really an album and all, but hell) and With Teeth.

MaryStardust
08-27-2013, 01:42 AM
Atmospheric, beautiful. 10/10

BRoswell
08-27-2013, 01:45 AM
Just finished the album. Loved it. It definitely resonated with me in ways that I was not expecting. I'll have to post a more in-depth review later as it's rather late here, but I really enjoyed it. Best album since The Fragile in my opinion.

nineismine
08-27-2013, 01:46 AM
This my rather lengthy response to the new album no one give two shits about, but I kinda want to get these things out of my chest.

And I'm 100 percent sure I hate Everything. I just can't stand the song and first thing I did was erasing it from the album playlist.

If this was the first thing you did you really never gave it a chance to view as a whole with the album. If it's really a bummer why not try to open up your mind a little and find things you like about it. It's improbable there are none. One thing I have learned in life is it is pointless to spend time counting things you dont like when you can be appreciating things you do.

the_tic_begins
08-27-2013, 01:46 AM
Edited my post, was a stupid comment, i dont believe hes cashing in, if so, he wouldnt have bothered with a album.
Just slap together a best of for the record company and go on a world tour.

Looking forward to the vinyl version, maybe it will add some warmth to the very sterile clinical feel I get from it atm

Bachy
08-27-2013, 01:48 AM
Edited my post, was a stupid comment, i dont believe hes cashing in, if so, he wouldnt have bothered with a album.
Just slap together a best of for the record company and go on a world tour.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lo8qhyowiv1qk7d9v.gif

thefragile_jake
08-27-2013, 01:52 AM
And I might confess: Various Methods of Escape brought tears to my eyes.

Same here bro....same here....

nineismine
08-27-2013, 01:53 AM
Same here bro....same here....
third..++++++

Khrz
08-27-2013, 01:55 AM
third..++++++

Glad I'm not the only weirdo shaking my hips off, only to tear up the moment after.

telee.kom
08-27-2013, 01:57 AM
If this was the first thing you did you really never gave it a chance to view as a whole with the album. If it's really a bummer why not try to open up your mind a little and find things you like about it. It's improbable there are none. One thing I have learned in life is it is pointless to spend time counting things you dont like when you can be appreciating things you do.

Believe me I tried it. I tried (Eeeeverything) to like it and find something I like about this song but I just didn't. It just trigger some nerve in me, I find the melody annoying and Trent singing even more. But hey, I love hundred other NIN songs, this day had to come eventually. Day when I'll hate a NIN song

Paper Street
08-27-2013, 02:52 AM
Believe me I tried it. I tried (Eeeeverything) to like it and find something I like about this song but I just didn't. It just trigger some nerve in me, I find the melody annoying and Trent singing even more. But hey, I love hundred other NIN songs, this day had to come eventually. Day when I'll hate a NIN song

Serious question, do you like The Cure?

telee.kom
08-27-2013, 03:11 AM
Serious question, do you like The Cure?

I absolutely hear the influences of Cure, but it just don't fit. If I wanted to listen to Cure, I'll listen to Cure not NIN. But no, I'm not a big fan anyway. I really like Lullaby and some other songs, but I'm not a big fan of their typical 80's sound.

ComradeCornhole
08-27-2013, 03:24 AM
Somebody I know who has heard the album already said there are "shoegaze guitars" all over this record. I heard another guy here say it's got reverb a'plenty. Is any of this accurate? Or does this guy I know simply have no idea what "shoegaze" is?

I don't think I'd be the first to say that to understand shoegaze your first stop is My Bloody Valentine.

Paper Street
08-27-2013, 03:31 AM
I absolutely hear the influences of Cure, but it just don't fit. If I wanted to listen to Cure, I'll listen to Cure not NIN.

Ok.

but I'm not a big fan of their typical 80's sound.

I have never heard someone describe The Cure this way. Odd.

I'm not exactly sure why I asked that question, but for some reason it came to mind. I guess those of us who enjoy the poppier aspects of certain types of music tend to like different things about NIN than others.

Either way, love the new stuff. Makes me feel like I am looking back at myself as a 15 year old.

telee.kom
08-27-2013, 03:45 AM
I have never heard someone describe The Cure this way. Odd. I think Cure is the defining band of 80's and their sound. The synthesisers, the bass, it all screams 80's to me. But it might be just my feeling

ManBurning
08-27-2013, 03:47 AM
Well, I gave it a few listens... but i'm kind of uncertain about the album so far. I don't want to jump to conclusions quite yet, as some of my favourite albums now, I hated upon the first few listens. I think this album needs to grow on me.

I'm gonna give it a few more days until writing a full blown review. Hearing songs like Came Back Haunted and Copy of A before the whole album came out, gives you a false impression of what this album is going to sound like. What I got from my first listen was NOT was I was epecting based on the 4 tracks I heard before hand.

I can see why Trent chose to play the songs he did live now. Something tells me the rest of the album will be hard to transition to a live setting.

Oh, and for the record... "Everything" was one of the highlights of the album after first listen, there I said it. It's not as bad as people were making it out to be. I was VERY worried based on how apeshit the internet went over that song, but i'm glad I waited to hear it in the context of the album, I thought it fit in quite nicely, and I would even go as far as saying it's one of the better tracks on the album.

So far, album starts strong, starts to get weak in the middle and comes back very strong at the end. But as I said, give me a few more days with it, i'm still undecided at this point on a final answer.

I do however, find myself starting the album around "Find My Way" now. not to say Copy of A or CBH are bad songs, I love them! I think I just overplayed them a tad too much these last few weeks that I need to give them a rest and have my ears adjust to the new tracks before I can start listening to the album from start to finish again.

Fixer808
08-27-2013, 03:50 AM
I absolutely hear the influences of Cure, but it just don't fit. If I wanted to listen to Cure, I'll listen to Cure not NIN. But no, I'm not a big fan anyway. I really like Lullaby and some other songs, but I'm not a big fan of their typical 80's sound.
Get caught up, because I'm hearing similar sounds on this record that I heard on Cure's 2000 album, "Bloodflowers".

Fixer808
08-27-2013, 03:52 AM
So far, album starts strong, starts to get weak in the middle and comes back very strong at the end. But as I said, give me a few more days with it, i'm still undecided at this point on a final answer.
Try doing what my phone did; Arrange the songs in alphabetical order and give it a listen.

Rabbit
08-27-2013, 04:11 AM

What do you mean can be ok? I'm spot on with my assessment thank you very much. I am enjoying this release though.