PDA

View Full Version : Hesitation Marks - ETS Reviews

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Brocephus
08-31-2013, 11:58 AM
Yeah. And that's called a Nine Inch Nails album.

And I guess that's the divide between us. There's people who have no problem with returning to old ideas and operating within an established framework and then others who wonder, perhaps cynically, why such a return was necessary. Trent's at the point in his artistic career where his inspirational well is almost dried up so he's returning to his past to try to rekindle that fire. It's nothing unique, it actually happens all the time with artists. If you hope to have a long career as an artist/entertainer it's almost inevitable that things "come full circle" and you look backwards for inspiration. It's natural. So, when viewed through that lense (as others are wont to do around here) HM is kind of interesting as a "child" of TDS or whatever you want to call it. He could have done a much worse and more embarrassing job by making TDS part 2. When you strip all that away though, I guess I'm just not into the tunes that much. Who knows, could be a grower but I doubt it. I'm also not going to force myself into liking it.

Shadaloo
08-31-2013, 11:58 AM
The fact that this album through and through is entirely thematically tied with TDS; that it's the continuation of that narrative, that it's a re-examination of many of that album's themes, that time in Trent's life...about trying to build yourself up rather than self-destruct...I'd expect there to be some 'bleedthough' (trolol).

I think it's a good and logical choice. If the entire album was fake angry hateful ruminations, and smacked of insencerity, yeah. But that's not the case. Trent's said it's a companion piece of sorts, and I'm cool with that. It's not exactly "Hellbilly Deluxe 2" (not that that was a bad album actually).

Also, I may be the only lunatic for whom Disappointed is their favorite song.

botley
08-31-2013, 12:00 PM
The fact that this album through and through is entirely thematically tied with TDS; that it's the continuation of that narrative, that it's a re-examination of many of that album's themes, that time in Trent's life...about trying to build yourself up rather than self-destruct...I'd expect there to be some 'bleedthough' (trolol).

I think it's a good and logical choice. If the entire album was fake angry hateful ruminations, and smacked of insencerity, yeah. But that's not the case. Trent's said it's a companion piece of sorts, and I'm cool with that. It's not exactly "Hellbilly Deluxe 2" (not that that was a bad album actually).

Also, I may be the only lunatic for whom Disappointed is their favorite song.
Well said, and I love "Disappointed" the most too!

Khrz
08-31-2013, 12:05 PM
And I guess that's the divide between us.

I guess I've been too dry for you to get my point.

More than anything, what's a guarantee of relative success is the fact that it's a nine inch nails album. Hiring Mills to make the art has, imo, very little impact on the sales. People don't care if it's TDS 2, TDS is 20 years old, only old farts like me and fans know what that means.
Then, the rest relies on the quality of the music, that's all.

Which is where we differ indeed.

Brocephus
08-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Nice trolling, but people did say the exact same things when NIN put out Closure in 1997 ("boy this Russell Mills thing is getting tired! Sheesh, we've had two singles, an LP, a remix compilation, and now a live video all with his artwork, HOW BORING"). Nobody remembers that in retrospect, it just happens to suit the aesthetic of the material. What would you prefer they do?

I'm not even sure how to respond to this...there's a big difference between what I'm talking about and what you bring up. You can't even compare the two really. First off, I don't recall much of a backlash back then regarding all the Russel Mills artwork on releases. TDS was still the most recent album at that point, so of course he's going to remain in that art style for any subsequent releases related to that era. I'm talking about NIN NOW, 2013. The one that just made a big comeback with an album that has art that hearkens back to an earlier, more successful time.

And btw, just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they're trying to troll you. This is a discussion forum for NIN fans. I'm a longtime NIN fan and I'm discussing the new album. I don't care for it much, is that not allowed? If this forum only allows blind praise and mindless adulation, then I'll leave.

jnk6980
08-31-2013, 12:15 PM
I went into my listen of this album not sure what to expect, as is the case for most first listens of new material (especially NIN). And with what I heard of the few released tracks "Came Back Haunted", "Find My Way", and "Everything". I still was indifferent on how I would take to this album. After I found out it leaked, albeit I was late to the news (work and school keep me far too busy) I instantly downloaded it (with every intention of still purchasing the actual album on Tuesday). After my initial listen I was quite taken aback, as this album was not at all what I thought it would be. Not good or bad just different and unexpected. However NIN has always had that tendency to grow on one upon further listens and so I would play the album over the next few days while I was working or traveling and I must say it has truly grown on me. As I won't make the claim of it being my favorite NIN album, as I don't have one (which ever mood i'm in influences my album of choice at that moment). But this is an exceptional piece of work, and I am loving this album more and more. The final track "Black Noise" especially sticks out because it feels incomplete. As if it's making a statement of to be continued. I for one would not be surprised if there was a companion piece to this album.

Brocephus
08-31-2013, 12:51 PM
I guess I've been too dry for you to get my point.

More than anything, what's a guarantee of relative success is the fact that it's a nine inch nails album. Hiring Mills to make the art has, imo, very little impact on the sales.

I don't think you tried to make a point until right now. So yes, too dry. :)
I think bringing Mills back to do the art DOES have an impact on the sales. Face it, many people who were big fans of NIN back in the mid-late 90s have grown up and moved onto other things. That might be hard to understand for people on a Reznor-centric discussion forum. Albums from With Teeth onward have not been as successful as TDS and TF. Obviously Trent wanted to make a big splash with Hesitation Marks, and part of that would be reeling back in all those lapsed fans who are perhaps nostalgic for early NIN. Releasing the new album with the same glitchy Rob Sheridan artwork wouldn't have accomplished that. Trent is also a savvy business man and he knew that he'd have a better chance of grabbing those fans interest (and $$$) if he put TDS/Mills style artwork on there.

"what's a guarantee of relative success is the fact that it's a nine inch nails album" i think is an admission that you were going to like this album regardless of what it was. I guess we need to establish what "success" you're talking about here: success within the NIN fan community or success in the eyes of the general public? I think it's safe to say that it's already a success with the die-hard fans but it remains to be seen how this is judged by the masses. Like I said before, it will take months/years for the clamor of fanboys to die off and we get a real sense of what people think of it.

Amaro
08-31-2013, 12:53 PM
The final track "Black Noise" especially sticks out because it feels incomplete. As if it's making a statement of to be continued. I for one would not be surprised if there was a companion piece to this album.

Kinda thought that myself the other day.

Now as I express it outwardly...maybe this is just it.

Shadaloo
08-31-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm talking about NIN NOW, 2013. The one that just made a big comeback with an album that has art that hearkens back to an earlier, more successful time.

Also, think about it this way as opposed to just suggesting he's cashing in on past successes:

Everything Trent's done since 1994, everything, is being held up to the benchmark of an a quasi-autobiographical album wherein the protagonist descends into a world of misery and self-hatred culminating in suicide. For years he's had to work under that album's shadow, people on all sides going "more angry hate music please, make Downward Spiral 2 because it would be the best thing ever." And all the while he's been moving further away from that person he used to be.

I kinda like to think one day he said "You want TDS 2? Fine, but I'll do it on my own terms. You want more Russell Mills? Fine. You want anger? Fuck you. Have the sequel you always wanted, enjoy it sounding far removed from what I did in '94. :D". I see it as giving people what they've wanted for so long, just different from what they expect.

Brocephus
08-31-2013, 01:52 PM
Great post Shadaloo and this is also stuff I've been thinking about since first listening to Hesitation Marks. I hope I didn't come across as simply accusing Reznor of only attempting to cash in because that's not my intent. And I also said that my view is perhaps too cynical. However...

..."more angry hate music please, make Downward Spiral 2 because it would be the best thing ever." And all the while he's been moving further away from that person he used to be.

I kinda like to think one day he said "You want TDS 2? Fine, but I'll do it on my own terms. You want more Russell Mills? Fine. You want anger? Fuck you. Have the sequel you always wanted, enjoy it sounding far removed from what I did in '94. :D". I see it as giving people what they've wanted for so long, just different from what they expect.

Do you see how this is, in effect, accomplishing exactly what I'm talking about? It's drawing those lapsed fans in by using nostalgia and then pulls the switcheroo. The old bait and switch. The dual meanings and self-reference on this album are not lost on me, but it all just seems very convenient. I don't think it's a good thing when an artist starts letting fan expectations factor into their creative output.

I've never been one of those who wants TDS part 2. In fact I've wished for years that Trent would just ditch the "oh woe is me" sad-sack lyrical approach. The instrumental soundtrack work got me excited that we'd see Trent cross over into a new realm and really shine, but instead he resurrected a "dead" project and is now trying to redefine it in some ways. And I realize this all factors into his thoughts and inspiration behind the album. I just wish he hadn't done it. Why not put all that energy into HTDA? Or more soundtrack work?

Dan Drone
08-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Hesitation Marks is very good. I love it when bands use guitars and instruments in unconventional ways to create atmosphere. The blend with heavy bass beats, beautiful synth/piano melodies, psychedelic sonic assaults... can't wait to hold the album in my hands and hear it straight from my CD player until my ears get numb and the batteries of my CD player die.

r_z
08-31-2013, 05:16 PM
I'm not even sure how to respond to this...there's a big difference between what I'm talking about and what you bring up. You can't even compare the two really. First off, I don't recall much of a backlash back then regarding all the Russel Mills artwork on releases. TDS was still the most recent album at that point, so of course he's going to remain in that art style for any subsequent releases related to that era. I'm talking about NIN NOW, 2013. The one that just made a big comeback with an album that has art that hearkens back to an earlier, more successful time.

And btw, just because someone has a different opinion doesn't mean they're trying to troll you. This is a discussion forum for NIN fans. I'm a longtime NIN fan and I'm discussing the new album. I don't care for it much, is that not allowed? If this forum only allows blind praise and mindless adulation, then I'll leave.

Sorry, man. Didn't meant to facepalm your post. Quite the opposite actually. My bad.

Transfixed
08-31-2013, 05:40 PM
Great post Shadaloo and this is also stuff I've been thinking about since first listening to Hesitation Marks. I hope I didn't come across as simply accusing Reznor of only attempting to cash in because that's not my intent. And I also said that my view is perhaps too cynical. However...

Do you see how this is, in effect, accomplishing exactly what I'm talking about? It's drawing those lapsed fans in by using nostalgia and then pulls the switcheroo. The old bait and switch. The dual meanings and self-reference on this album are not lost on me, but it all just seems very convenient. I don't think it's a good thing when an artist starts letting fan expectations factor into their creative output.

I've never been one of those who wants TDS part 2. In fact I've wished for years that Trent would just ditch the "oh woe is me" sad-sack lyrical approach. The instrumental soundtrack work got me excited that we'd see Trent cross over into a new realm and really shine, but instead he resurrected a "dead" project and is now trying to redefine it in some ways. And I realize this all factors into his thoughts and inspiration behind the album. I just wish he hadn't done it. Why not put all that energy into HTDA? Or more soundtrack work?

I've been trying to follow your logic here and can't grasp what is is that you so wish he hadn't done..
You're on a Nine Inch Nails forum, during the release of a brand new Nine Inch Nails album, and you're basically rolling in here saying "Gee, I wish he hadn't put the band back together and released a new album!"
Umm...ok then! Why does this make you think he won't be putting more energy into HTDA? In all liklihood, he will create another HTDA album, perhaps several more. He may score more films as well, though he stated he doesn't enjoy the business process at all and its a turn-off to him. It just seems like you're against a new NIN album in principle, rather than the merits of the actual album itself, which begs the question - why are you even here? To let us all know that you wish you didn't have to be?

For the record, fan response to HTDA was relatively tepid at best, while the reaction to HM has been almost entirely positive. Which rather justifies his decision, doesn't it?

Volk
08-31-2013, 05:51 PM
This has gone from "ETS Reviews" to "lets argue over Hesitation Marks"...and I think there's another thread for that.

pigpen
08-31-2013, 08:07 PM
So, after a A LOT more spins from front to back I've kind of found myself wondering why/how HM is tied in some way to TDS
when thematically it's almost a continuation/answer to themes found pretty abundant on The Fragile.
I never felt like TDS was TR's most lost and desperate era, quite the opposite actually. I always thought of that album as this
very purposeful and direct narrative.. Where The Fragile seems more like a desperate attempt to cope and just continue to
exist..
In HM, VMOE, he's questioning how he let himself drift so far away, and every time I hear it, I always think he's asking TF era
Trent... Since THAT guy is kind of the most "lost" i've seen him.

That said, I fucking love this album. Is exactly what I was hoping for. I was content in Nine Inch Nails' output leading up to HM
and would have spent the rest of my life pouring myself over that shit, but it's always nice to be treated to even MORE amazing
records. Here's hoping this wont be the last, which I'm convinced it won't be..

Amaro
08-31-2013, 08:10 PM
I knew The Slip wouldn't be the end, and I know this won't be the end. I think: he's just begun again.

Copy of A
08-31-2013, 08:13 PM
Kinda thought that myself the other day.

Now as I express it outwardly...maybe this is just it.
My God, you're right!
someone phone Chieftan Mews immediately!

Brocephus
08-31-2013, 08:31 PM
It just seems like you're against a new NIN album in principle, rather than the merits of the actual album itself, which begs the question - why are you even here? To let us all know that you wish you didn't have to be?

I'm a longtime NIN fan that owes a lot to Mr. Reznor and his associates for my conception and appreciation of music. In a lot of ways, NIN was the thing that sparked my interest in music and served as a starting point for investigation into all different forms of sound. It's something I still have strong feelings for. I guess I'm here to see if anyone else had the same feelings but it's apparent that I'm in the minority. I think you're right about me being against the album in principle. I don't like that this all suddenly came up when HTDA was ostensibly the post-NIN continuation of Reznor's musical career. It's weird, but it doesn't sit well with me for some reason. Anyway, I've made a post in the "Controversial Opinions" thread accordingly. Seems like a better fit, hah!

ripedecay
08-31-2013, 10:58 PM
So, after a A LOT more spins from front to back I've kind of found myself wondering why/how HM is tied in some way to TDS
when thematically it's almost a continuation/answer to themes found pretty abundant on The Fragile.
I never felt like TDS was TR's most lost and desperate era, quite the opposite actually. I always thought of that album as this
very purposeful and direct narrative.. Where The Fragile seems more like a desperate attempt to cope and just continue to
exist..
In HM, VMOE, he's questioning how he let himself drift so far away, and every time I hear it, I always think he's asking TF era
Trent... Since THAT guy is kind of the most "lost" i've seen him.

Agree TF was def the most desperate in terms of how I hear them. Agree completely.

PeedroPaula54
08-31-2013, 11:05 PM
I'm loving the album - especially I Would For You and Various Methods of Escape - although a few tracks have yet to grow on me.

ripedecay
08-31-2013, 11:16 PM
The best tracks are Eater of Dreams and Black Noise. Those tracks actually have interesting sounds and I wish Reznor & Co. would do more noisy stuff like that.

Agree. Kinda love the Lil sound experiments of TF and how it segwayed into other moods on an album. I'm not saying I'm upset it isn't a double disc masterpiece but would be cool. Mentioned in another thread as some feel they are filler but if done the the caliber of the rest of HM would be crazy. I have a hunch though this is not last of HM that we'll be seeing.

Dan Drone
09-01-2013, 01:03 AM
With Fragile being my favorite NIN album as of now I give HM a 9/10- my favorite album this year so far. Compared to other NIN albums somewhere between 8.5 and 8.9. But yeah, best NIN stuff since "Still" maybe.

MacabreMagpie
09-01-2013, 03:46 AM
In short, and after one listen-through, I'm liking the album so far. There are a few tracks - namely "All Time Low" and "In Two" - that sound VERY different to what we normally get from Nine Inch Nails buts but which have already forced themselves into my favourites. There are also a few that sound a little bit too similar for my liking (I have to say, I'm not crazy about the slower tracks at the minute but I feel like they may be growers) but, overall, I love the vibe of the album. "Copy of A" and "Various Methods of Escape" are also up there in my favourites... I've even warmed to "Everything" a little bit after hearing it in-situ, but there are still elements about the arrangement that I dislike.

Also, this isn't a criticism of "All Time Low" (far from it - that track is probably my favourite) but the chorus really reminds me of The Orb, in particular side one of their "Metallic Spheres" album at around the 10:20 mark (click below for that section).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=C9G0KokD6Eo#t=618

But yeah, overall, I'm very intrigued by the obvious maturity and musical progression that Trent has displayed with this offering. It's one of my favourites in terms of album artwork, too and might even top the pile after some time (I've even considered buying multiple editions as I love every cover variation). I can't wait to get the whole thing plus booklet in my hands next week.

Emil Dorbell
09-01-2013, 06:28 AM
I wasn't sure what to make of this album at first. It's very claustrophobic, and I didn't like the feeling I got from it. It sort of... scared me. I did, however, manage to wrap my head around it, and the other night, listening in headphones in a completely silent room, it clicked. There's so many little nuances and details that give this album that special NIN quality that the earlier releases (up until '99) had where you discover something new with each listen - and this album just grows and grows and grows. By far my favorite thing from Trent since The Fragile.

As to it's themes, I feel this album is more than anything about addiction. I imagine many of these songs taking place in rehab and hospitals and it's POWERFUL. But maybe we've already established that by this point.

If I had to complain about something it'd be that the songs on the first half of the album doesn't flow together the way they do post-Everything (which I love by the way). But still, definitely a 5/5 for me. Not a single weak part on here.

r_z
09-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Posted this in the 'Thoughts...' thread initially, although it belongs here (tried to delete the post, but don't know if it worked...):

I haven't read all interviews and articles surrounding the new album, but I'm wondering about the connection to TDS. Can anyone point me to a quote of Trent concerning those matters? To me, at first, HM sounded like stereotypical NIN, lyrically, which - considering TRs age and 'new found happiness' - lead to a bit of a disappointment as it seemed like 'NIN by numbers' and lacking creativity. I then read about a connection to his 'former self' during the making of TDS somewhere and thought this was an interesting concept. You know... happy Trent meeting dopey Trent. What I'm wondering now is: Is this the right interpretation or is HM more like a meeting of two characters not representing Trent, the person, but with autobiographical aspects included? As I recall, the 'real' Trent didn't get fucked up until after TDS had been recorded and a first wave of touring was finished in '95. HM seems like a confrontation with a depressive, fucked up individual, though, doesn't it?

Also, I'm on board with people being amazed at how Trent - while steadily evolving musically - never really seemed to care about writing better lyrics or at least broaden his repertoire, topics and themes. It's been pretty much the same stuff ever since - even in HTDA, when Q took over writing duties allegedly. I'm only speaking about me here of course, but somehow it's getting tiring and I can see critics commenting on just that (and rightfully so, IMHO).

Anyway, while I'm trying yo wrap my head around the lyrics as well as the concept Trent's been trying to sell us, the production side of the music is amazing. Herein lies Reznor's (and Ross' and Moulder's) true strength, in my opinion. It's cutting edge and visionary and daring. I just wish, the lyrics would match and TR wouldn't feel the need to limit himself to certain topics and themes. As of right now I'm torn between the amazing production on one side and the sometimes cringeworthy lyrics on the other.

rhray
09-01-2013, 04:28 PM
I hate numbered ratings especially on a forum like this because you get crucified if you don’t rate at a particular threshold. I also most certainly will not push rhetoric that HM is the “best since…”

As a painter, I hate critiques using the word “interesting”. If someone says my work is interesting I immediately want to punch them in the face. For HM, interesting doesn’t even come into play here. To me, HM is accomplishing more complicated things here. The music doesn’t even just invoke emotions but serves as a specific link to different memories from my past whether they be emotional or visual or auditory in kind. The Fragile was a great conveyor of emotion, HM seems to take that one step further and be a blueprint for my memories.

Overall, HM accomplishes 3 specific things for me: First, I’ve struggled, wafting between writing it off completely and really loving the album multiple times. This screams to me that HM is a strong piece of work. Most things I truly appreciate I never liked at the beginning. Second, TR never seems “forced” on this album. The content and delivery seems to just naturally flow. There never seems a point where TR tried to fit a square peg into a round hole like other albums, sing that lyric “just that way” to make it fit in rhyme. Draw out something sonically for effect (some parts I wish he would have). Everything seems just the way it is and should be, which is refreshing. Third, it is not hard to listen and pay attention when you want. However, any comprehension of what goes on around you will be largely ignored. There is no effort to stay with this album, it pulls you in as naturally as the unforced delivery I spoke of in #2.

That being said, I like the album. Below are some specific points I wanted to share, not a comprehensive take on every song.

Eater of Dreams - Some of the sounds, the anticipation and the horror, remind me of the old promotional media that came out of the remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre before the movie was released. It was the click sound followed by the hiss of the camera re-charging. They used it quite a lot for mood in the previews of the movie and my brain instantly went there.

Copy of a - Brilliant. Absolutely love this track. I always love it when TR decides to hop-jump-and skip his vocals and turn it into a complementary track with the rest of what’s going on musically.

All time low - lyrical meaning and delivery (in the spots where you can feel the desperation) aside this is a VERY VERY sexy song to me. It really shouldn’t be sexy lyrically, more disturbing. I was quite intrigued to see the transition this track went from demo to the album’s inclusion of guitar and bass adding their own spin to the riffs. It bounces and grinds and ends in melodic bliss. One of the tops on my list. I have seen the codependency and delusional nature of what this song is all about.

Everything - Liked it from the beginning, loved it after the confused look on my face subsided post-first listen. TR pulls the best elements of my bloody valentine and the cure into it for me to smile. NPR quick review of this song is really quite on point:
“Compared to the rest of the album, "Everything" is virtually a pop tune. But it still has the amazing, inimitable sounds the band's front man and songwriter Trent Reznor is known for. All Songs host Robin Hilton likens the soundscapes to a nightmare where nothing bad happens, but the mood is terrifying.”

Satellite - This track still gives me goosebumps after the 3 minute mark. Kinda like childhood; started confused as to why I was on this earth and then purpose and progression came together in symphony. This outro reminds me of the middle section buildup in The Way Out is Through before the heavy guitar. Same feeling for me.

Various Methods of Escape - Love it! Notice how the bass builds harder at each step in the 4/4 signature (at least I think it’s in that)? Ending like most everyone else said is exactly how I feel. Also reminds me of The Fragile where you start uncontrollably screaming back the lyrics in the climax of the song because it is that powerful. Also, while Oxford is including all these new words to their lexicon such as twerking, they need to put in a new for: “how to include live drums successfully on an otherwise electronic record”.

Running - Schizophrenic, paranoid, driven and ultimately exhausting. LOVE IT. Let’s see if it has staying power. Sounds like what Amnesiac could have been if Radiohead hadn’t been blinded by the immediate brilliance of Kid A. I first heard this track running on a treadmill and ironically it worked!

In Two - This one smacked me in the face. Part of the vocal delivery sounds like Subtle (For Hero for Fool). This builds and sonically transforms and progresses like I Do Not Want This. Feels like it’s literally falling apart at the seams or just about to crash during a car chase at times.

While I’m Still Here/Blacknoise - Only thing I gotta say is TR has some real brass to put actual brass in this badboy.

Michalrose
09-01-2013, 04:46 PM
MAN I couldn't disagree more. How many NIN casual listeners, or even frigging fans, have any idea of who russel mills is ? You can't cash in when nobody recognizes your package, even less the artist behind it. I'm so happy he ditched Rob for that one (no offense, Rob can be seriously awesome, but I was getting tired of the glitchy/photographic approach).
I totally dig the artwork. Russell Mills is amazing. It doesn't matter to me the the same artist was used for TDS.

Yoshata
09-02-2013, 12:25 AM
I just listened to this again and I'm falling in love. The first listen was kind of like a combination of pleasure, anxiousness, and a bit of awe/disbelief; I couldn't find room for it all in my mind. Now it's really hitting me how much I love/am going to love these songs as I keep listening to them.

Some of my favorites (though I love the entire thing as a whole): Copy of A; Came Back Haunted; Find My Way; All Time Low; Everything; Various Methods of Escape (probably one of my new very favorites - I'm amazed at this one); and While I'm Still Here.

replicon1
09-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Saw this on the Guardian yesterday, written by Hermione Hoby, this Observer reviewer spends most of the time not reviewing the album. I thought that half of it was missing:
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2013/sep/01/nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-review

There are two reasons that Trent Reznor, the 48-year-old backbone ofNine Inch Nails, is worshipped. First, there is his group's second album, 1994's The Downward Spiral, which remains the ultimate soundtrack for every angry teenager needing music with which to piss off their parents. Reznor has said that, when recording it, he had "an unending bottomless pit of rage and self-loathing inside me". As such, he became a hero for every kid who hated "the system".
The band's calling card was Closer, arguably their biggest song to date. Blunt and heavy with menace, it begins: "You let me violate you, you let me desecrate you", before Reznor snarls that unignorable refrain, the one full of frisson for everyone who sang along: "I want to fuck you like an animal."
NIN lyrics have always been crude, but then Reznor is also capable of writing a song as indelible as Hurt. It took Johnny Cash's careworn baritone to cast that track as timeless ballad rather than emo whine, but the song showed that Reznor was not just some rage-head noisemaker: he was, and is, more subtle a writer and musician than the band's shorthand description as "industrial rock" suggests.
The second reason Reznor is venerated as a cultural icon is down to plain endurance. He has overcome cocaine and alcohol addiction, been namechecked byTime magazine as one of its 25 "most influential Americans" and in 2011 landed an Academy award, winning best original score for his soundtrack to The Social Network.
Now, 25 years after founding the band, he's also a married father of two. Domestic circumstances might seem irrelevant to the kind of music anyone makes, but when your entire modus operandi has been about annoying parents, becoming one yourself is pertinent. This record sounds exactly like a negotiation between those two Reznor modes: angst-belter and sophisticate; the rage-oaf and the artist.
Hesitation Marks is the first Nine Inch Nails album since 2008's The Slip, which was released online free accompanied by Reznor's message: "This one's on me." This one, however, is on Columbia – a backsliding of sorts, since Reznor vowed in 2007 to release material independently. That mellowing and compromise is echoed in the sound: the squalling guitars have been refined a little and the band sound more minimal and electronic than ever.
Fans will be familiar with a couple of tracks already, both of which are surprising. Copy of A, released last month, possesses a burbling, itchy synth line, while more perplexing still is its follow-up, the hearty college rock of Everything. Reznor's voice, however, hasn't changed, veering between hard man of rawk growl and needling adolescent whine.
The musician is famously exacting when it comes to sound and, predictably, the album is impeccably produced. What's shocking, though, is that at moments it sounds – whisper it – delicate.

Digital Twilight
09-02-2013, 08:43 AM
My deluxe arrived today but who was the plum who thought putting a sticker on the back was a good idea? First of all you couldn't read what was on it anyway and second although its an easy peel it does leave a discolour mark where the sticker was. Idiots!

Great package anyway.

Michalrose
09-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Decent review from NME.
http://www.nme.com/reviews/nine-inch-nails/14731#

ericy210
09-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Decent review from NME.
http://www.nme.com/reviews/nine-inch-nails/14731#
funny how the reviewer sums up Trent's 90s body of work:
When he broke out at the dawn of the ’90s with a selection of songs about suicide, slavery and fist-fucking, it probably wasn’t immediately obvious that Trent Reznor was future elder-statesman material

r_z
09-05-2013, 07:49 AM
As of right now I'm torn between the amazing production on one side and the sometimes cringeworthy lyrics on the other.

So I've decided to go with the former and am now enjoying the shit out of this album.

Fred
09-05-2013, 07:51 AM
In my opinion, HM features far less lyrical stinkers than usual. "As good as pie" in Running is pretty awful. Apart from that, I actually think Trent's lyrics are better than usual.

joplinpicasso
09-05-2013, 08:05 AM
Not sure if sarcasm. Dude, it's "as good as blind."

Ryan
09-05-2013, 08:13 AM
It's sarcasm.

fuchal
09-05-2013, 08:22 AM
I can definitely relate to pie.

Fred
09-05-2013, 08:35 AM
Seriously?

Oh hell no... I'm really, really sorry. It wasn't sarcasm. I read someone's (crappy, in retrospect) interpretation back before release date and thought those were the correct lyrics. Jesus...

Uh, wait. What I meant was: Yes, that was sarcasm. Absolutely. Pie? Ridiculous.

eversonpoe
09-05-2013, 08:44 AM
Seriously?

Oh hell no... I'm really, really sorry. It wasn't sarcasm. I read someone's (crappy, in retrospect) interpretation back before release date and thought those were the correct lyrics. Jesus...

Uh, wait. What I meant was: Yes, that was sarcasm. Absolutely. Pie? Ridiculous.

i can't believe no one one the internet has made a gif/image of trent screaming "TERRIBLE PIE!" because i was going to post it as a witty response.

/fail

KarenLeslie
09-05-2013, 08:46 AM
Back around the WT era, I remember there was a guy on ETS who had written Weird-Al style parodies of a lot of NIN songs, including "Terrible Pie."

It started "Hey Mom, why are you feeding this to me?"

Anybody know what I'm talking about? I'd actually like to see those parodies if they're available online somewhere.

r_z
09-05-2013, 08:50 AM
sounds awesome.

Amaro
09-05-2013, 09:43 AM
Running is a hot track.

Edit: I thought I was in the actual HM thread. Ops.

becoming
09-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm loving the new album, it actually has me excited to listen to music again.

Rating out of 10: 8 so far...
Standout Tracks:Various Methods of Escape, All Time Low, In Two, While I'm Still Here/Black Noise
Album it could be compared to: Ummmm ? So all over the place.... ?
Other Comments: WOW.

chroipahtz
09-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Speaking of this album's "porpoise" moments, there are two on this album:

1) All Time Low --"So give me just a little baby"
2) In Two -- "Shit / brushes skin / save yourself"

Someone, to the GIF machine!

tony.parente
09-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Back around the WT era, I remember there was a guy on ETS who had written Weird-Al style parodies of a lot of NIN songs, including "Terrible Pie."

It started "Hey Mom, why are you feeding this to me?"

Anybody know what I'm talking about? I'd actually like to see those parodies if they're available online somewhere.

EDIT:

Nevermind

EDIT EDIT: I did find this awful parody though
http://soundcloud.com/pinktriforce/terrible-pie-nin-parody

Shadaloo
09-05-2013, 11:06 AM
There are times when I'm in love with every track and times when I wonder what he was thinking. I'm constantly fluctuating and finding different things to love or question. I think 7s and 8-8.5s are more or less fair scores for the album. In any case it definitely keeps me coming back and will for a long, long time. That's the mark of something great, I think. Haven't felt like that since Fragile.

becoming
09-05-2013, 11:25 AM
There are times when I'm in love with every track and times when I wonder what he was thinking. I'm constantly fluctuating and finding different things to love or question. I think 7s and 8-8.5s are more or less fair scores for the album. In any case it definitely keeps me coming back and will for a long, long time. That's the mark of something great, I think. Haven't felt like that since Fragile.

THIS.

I feel disappointed when I have to put my headphones down for longer than 10 min.

nineismine
09-05-2013, 11:43 AM
There is a conversation around here about which album to use to introduce people to nine inch nails: I have to think that if someone doesn't like Hesitation marks after a few listens they probably aren't going to get into the back catalog...

There! I said it.

jubilee
09-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Initially this album reminded me of PHM and The Slip, and I stand by that :)
I have not yet listened to the whole thing (The live versions of Copy of A keep me ph so happy) but intend on doing a full review when I do so.
Side note: first time I heard copy of A was at their Belfast performance 23/08 and it blew me away. Great to see Trent back on form.

Tums206_BFY
09-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Outside of "Came back Haunted" when it was released I had ignored anything related to this album until this past weekend when I remembered it was coming out. Got it Monday night and have been listening to it since then. I can honestly say I am pleasantly surprised by this album, not that I expected it to be bad or anything. Awesome comeback from Trent!

All My Opinions:
- The Production on this album is class. There are maybe two other albums I have heard this year that I would rate better to equal production.
- This is the best NIN album since With Teeth.
- This album flows really well from start to end. "Everything" comes in and is like Hi nice to meet you! taking you on a detour then putting you back on a more aggressive second half of the album. But for the most part the album has a distinct sound that it keeps through out. Could some songs be cut down a bit um sure I suppose but I don't have any issues with the length of any song on this album.

Rating out of 10: 8 to 8.5
Standout Tracks: All Time Low, Find My Way, Satellite, VME, In Two/While I'm Still Here/Black Noise
Album it could be compared to: Um PHM mixed with elements of The Fragile and something like The Slip.
Other Comments: This will def make my top 10 of 2013 (currently in my top 5 but there's a few albums that I am interested coming out in the next few months that potentially could challenge I suppose)

KingDeathMachine
09-05-2013, 03:50 PM
I love how many of the songs start out a bit absurdly (Everything, Running), and suck you in after that. I start off thinking, "Ugh, this isn't really what I expected from NIN" but the more I listen, the more layers reveal themselves and I begin to see the direction of the song. In fact, not sure if this was intentional, but I detect a subtle "Theater of the Absurd" theme to this album. Maybe it's the use of falsetto voice (In Two), the upbeat sound (Satellite, Everything) and the funk that darkens and distorts by the end of the song that feels like a journey from liberating sunshine into identity conflict. And there is a level of absurdity to the fact that Trent is an older, wiser man who is expected to constantly live up to a younger, angrier, darker image that he created 20+ years ago. Not sure if this makes sense, or I'm just projecting a whole lot of bullshit, but either way I LOVE this album. Like any great album, you have to listen to it over and over again before you understand just how fucking good it is.

This has been stated before, but there are big time similarities between HM and PHM, just in terms of sounds and beats that are generally associated with other genres, "pop music" etc, but with a NIN signature and concept. It almost feels like the full evolution of PHM, even though the concept is more in keeping with TDS and The Fragile.

10 out of 10, and it might be my third favorite NIN album after TDS and Fragile, which is saying a lot since those are my two favorite albums of all time. Every time I listen, I like it more.

To any fans or others who think this is a departure from NIN, keep two things in mind. First, it's not in the nature of an artist to create the same thing twice. When an artist tries to produce versions of prior masterwork, it usually ends up disappointing. Second, when has Trent ever given us the same thing twice? Think about it: NIN is constantly taking risks and embarking on a new course. Did Broken sound ANYTHING like Pretty Hate Machine? Did The Downward Spiral sound anything like Broken? The Fragile sounded very different from TDS, and the two weakest albums IMO, With Teeth and The Slip, were the two that didn't deviate enough from prior work. Year Zero was another big departure, and is a very well regarded album. Same with Ghosts.

Hesitation Marks is very much typical NIN, in that NIN typically comes out of left field with some awesome shit we never expected. :D

eversonpoe
09-05-2013, 04:28 PM
EDIT:

Nevermind

EDIT EDIT: I did find this awful parody though
http://soundcloud.com/pinktriforce/terrible-pie-nin-parody

i am literally crying from how embarrassingly bad that is (and maybe a little bit from how unintentionally funny it is...because the intentionally "funny" parts just...don't work).

MikeDigs
09-05-2013, 05:08 PM
after multiple listens all the way through, this has become my favorite album since The Fragile, probably tied with TDS cuz it sounds polished and dope. My only gripe is that the final track Black Noise doesn't seem to close the album out as well as previous albums. Every NIN album has always had a solid closing track. IMO, Black Noise should have led to a final track. I wonder if HM will have a sequel?

Sutekh
09-05-2013, 05:31 PM
To any fans or others who think this is a departure from NIN, keep two things in mind. First, it's not in the nature of an artist to create the same thing twice. When an artist tries to produce versions of prior masterwork, it usually ends up disappointing. Second, when has Trent ever given us the same thing twice? Think about it: NIN is constantly taking risks and embarking on a new course. Did Broken sound ANYTHING like Pretty Hate Machine? Did The Downward Spiral sound anything like Broken? The Fragile sounded very different from TDS, and the two weakest albums IMO, With Teeth and The Slip, were the two that didn't deviate enough from prior work. Year Zero was another big departure, and is a very well regarded album. Same with Ghosts.

Hesitation Marks is very much typical NIN, in that NIN typically comes out of left field with some awesome shit we never expected. :D

for me it fits into a pattern (if not a design) - NIN started with PHM - a collection of conventional, straight to the point songs (no long instrumentals or anything too left-field). Rebooted 2005 sober NIN started with "With Teeth" - another collection of straightforward, punchy songs (might have imagined it but I seem to recall him comparing it to PHM). And after another hiatus, we get HM, which is again a no-messing selection of thumpers (it's bookended by some noise but that doesn't make it ghosts or fragile).

All 3 have the most synth/new wave type influences of any NIN album. I wasn't too keen on With Teeth and I'm tempted to assume that HM is a sort of remake (way better imo)

Transfixed
09-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Speaking of this album's "porpoise" moments, there are two on this album:
2) In Two -- "Shit / brushes skin / save yourself"

Someone, to the GIF machine!

That's what it sounds like, and what I thought at first, but its "SHED - your precious skin - save yourself."

thevoid99
09-05-2013, 06:40 PM
After listening it several times since the day it leaked. I'm really starting to enjoy it more and more. The production is spot-on and I love the little touches that Adrian Belew, Pino Palladino, and Lindsey Buckingham put in. Ilan's drum work in "I Would For You" is phenomenal. I also love the remixes as well. I hope a remix album comes out soon.

chroipahtz
09-05-2013, 06:43 PM
That's what it sounds like, and what I thought at first, but its "SHED - your precious skin - save yourself."
I know, but for the purpose of making a stupid GIF... actually nevermind, nobody would want to see that GIF...

ambergris
09-06-2013, 06:36 AM
So I give Hesitation Marks a 7.5/10.
I think the three singles are the standout tracks. Apart from those, Satellite is a sexy little thing. I enjoyed the 8-bit sounds at the end of All Time Low and during Running. The saxophone on While I'm Still Here is also a nice touch. In fact, it sounds as if Trent felt a little constrained by the song format sometimes and would have liked to go a little more epic, you know, like a movie soundtrack. All Time Low might be the most interesting song, mainly because I have to cringe because of all those way, hey, day, stay rhyhmes which appear a little too often throughout the album... but then the song gets better and ends on an incredibly high note. I really enjoyed Trent's high register here and on other songs.
There are also still traces of How to Destroy Angels here. Some songs still have this lethargic...I mean...moody atmosphere, especially Find My Way and Disappointed. Various Methods of Escape is a standard power ballad. Running has a good beat and nice sound effects, but boring verses. In Two is similar. I sometimes wish the album would be a little more inventive melodically.
I think Hesitation Marks is very much a transitional album. NIN, soundtracks and HTDA come together here. Trent might be on the way to producing a pure power pop album next. I'd like to hear that...

NINfan04
09-06-2013, 07:49 AM
Rating out of 10? 8/10

Standout tracks?
"Copy of A"
"Came Back Haunted"
"Various Methods of Escape"
"I Would For You"
"In Two"
"All Time Low"
"Everything"
"Find My Way"
"While I'm Still Here"
"While I'm Still Here remix"
"Find My Way remix"

Least Favorite Tracks: "Disappointed" and "Running" - Good songs but just not as powerful as others on the album imo. I feel like other tracks would have been better choices (like the track Trent plays during the 45min HM commentary) but chances are they'll grow on me.

Album it could be compared to? Stands on its own like every NIN album but has hints of the WT-YZ-Slip era and HTDA.

Other comments? Best album since With Teeth, lyrically very good, rank it 4th when compared to all previous NIN full length albums but that's just my two cents.

Nine Inch Nails is an experience. The music is always evolving and that's part of the experience. The true die hard fans (ETS obviously) don't expect another "copy of a" previous album. We want to go on a different journey with each album just as each live show is a unique entity of its own. There are going to be people who are disappointed because it's not "this" or "that" and quite frankly they can fuck off. The sonic landscapes, deep lyrics, and raw emotion strike a chord within each fans soul that can't be explained in mere words. We've all entered the Nine Inch Nails labyrinth at some point but where it leads is an individual experience. Listen to the music and enjoy the ride.

I'm really impressed with Hesitation Marks overall. I didn't set my expectations too high or low since every NIN album stands on its own.

-I would have liked more real/acoustic drums and there was a notable absence of melodies on some tracks.
-It's very much a transitional record as others have mentioned.
-You can hear the influences from other work Trent has done since the Wave Goodbye tour.
-It's amazing that Lindsey Buckingham played on HM and I wouldn't have believed it until I read the liner notes.
-The production value is top notch but I wish there were more instrumentals ("La Mer", Ghosts I-IV, etc...) mixed in with the tracks. I love "Eater of Dreams" and "Black Noise" but I wanted more!
-The album art and lyrics almost emit a retrospective response to TDS-The Fragile era.

Thank you Nine Inch Nails for another phenomenal album!

becoming
09-06-2013, 12:05 PM
So I'm really starting to dislike the end of this CD...

Black noise - It's so dark, TDS like but evolved and just as violent. I want more of it. It reminds me of the screechy dark atmosphere noises he uses in live shows during SICNH. Those noises create an atmosphere like no other, I love them. It shows there is still dark aggression lurking.

I love this album but the ending builds so damn strong I need more.

Amaro
09-06-2013, 12:09 PM
So I'm really starting to dislike the end of this CD...

Black noise - It's so dark, TDS like but evolved and just as violent. I want more of it. It reminds me of the screechy dark atmosphere noises he uses in live shows during SICNH. Those noises create an atmosphere like no other, I love them. It shows there is still dark aggression lurking.

I love this album but the ending builds so damn strong I need more.

I'd have to agree with you a little bit there.

The very end of the record paints a clear message, the narrative is apparently enforced, but it's not really musically pleasing to end like that. /Cpt. Obvious

I admit to taking out Black Noise sometimes, just to...not feel that way.

Shopfloor Tone
09-06-2013, 02:10 PM
A 5/5 review from the Metro (A free, UK newspaper):

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/06/nine-inch-nails-prove-they-can-still-provide-an-adrenaline-rush-on-hesitation-marks-3951907/

ericy210
09-06-2013, 09:00 PM
i am literally crying from how embarrassingly bad that is (and maybe a little bit from how unintentionally funny it is...because the intentionally "funny" parts just...don't work).
Don't take it away from me, a credit or refund will do! Classic, not even on the beat!

Michalrose
09-07-2013, 11:08 AM
In my opinion, HM features far less lyrical stinkers than usual. "As good as pie" in Running is pretty awful. Apart from that, I actually think Trent's lyrics are better than usual.
Maybe you have confused this with Terrible Pie?

echoespaul
09-07-2013, 06:02 PM
IMHO - It's the best NIN album for me. My god. My god my god my god. The number of times my hairs were stood on end during the first listen to this album. I lost count. It is a masterpiece. This is the work of a man and group who are on the top of their game. No doubt about that. We are very lucky fans indeed.

For me I looked at the album as a snap shot of the various stages that Trent went through in his recovery and journey between TDS and now. Almost like a sign wave in terms of mood and tempo. There were moments of disruption. There were moments of anxiety. There were moments of euphoria... at times on an almost self delusional in-denial level (Everything). There were moments of calm and understanding. It had it all. That for me is the underlining brilliance of this album. It takes you on his journey.. an incredibly intimate journey.

And it makes sense to set this along side The Downward Spiral because you have the incredible low, and then you have the journey to where he is now. They belong together as a pair. Everything in between, they don't matter as much. They don't speak for Trent. This speaks for Trent like TDS did.

Nothing short of incredible imho.

Halo Infinity
09-07-2013, 08:49 PM
I would also be among the fans that also think it's possibly quite the best release since The Fragile, although, as I've mentioned in another thread, it's still hard for me to say that with an album like Year Zero around. It also still seems to be giving me a Pretty Hate Machine and With Teeth vibe though. I also liked how Black Noise sort of made me think of Suck, Ripe (With Decay), and The Four Of Us Are Dying too. It makes me wish that Black Noise was longer, and it also helped me realize why there has been speculation of a part two to Hesitation Marks.

Dra508
09-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I listen to Disappointed and imagine Michael Jackson and his posse of dancers doing a dance a la Bad or something.

It's good, I know I'll listen to it close to as much as I did With Teeth.

slopesandsam
09-08-2013, 10:58 PM
I think by now it's redundant to say that this is the best NIN album since TF, but given that I initially posted that I wasn't sure about it, I thought I should provide an update to say that the album has grown on me. Pretty much all great albums do.

Also, I'm someone who has really enjoyed all NIN's output in the last decade, save for WT. WT is the only album I was disappointed by. But I rate YZ up there with TDS. And TS was excellent as well. But HM sits comfortably beside TF. And TF is my all time favourite album, still.

jmtd
09-13-2013, 10:20 AM
OK I have a difficult admission to make:

I don't like Hesitation Marks much, at all.

The stand-out track for me is Everything which I am luke warm on.

This is difficult for me to admit. I've been given strength since asking a couple of big NIN fans I know IRL what they think, and they're both really not into HM.

I'd like to elaborate, but I don't know much what to say! I'm more into instrumentation than lyrics, in general, and I think it's fair to say HM is principally a lyrically-focussed album. No doubt the lyrics are amongst his best and most personal. However, the instrumentation really hasn't got any hooks into me. I cannot recall more than half the album off the top of my head. I'm particularly upset by the simplicity of the drums: both the patterns and the patches themselves (a trend that started with YZ, imho WT was the last straight NIN album, Ghosts excepted, with really good drum patches/samples/actual drumming)

So there it is. I stand prepared to be eviscerated.

EndlessLoveless
09-13-2013, 01:07 PM

This is difficult for me to admit. I've been given strength since asking a couple of big NIN fans I know IRL what they think, and they're both really not into HM.

I'd like to elaborate, but I don't know much what to say! I'm more into instrumentation than lyrics, in general, and I think it's fair to say HM is principally a lyrically-focussed album. No doubt the lyrics are amongst his best and most personal. However, the instrumentation really hasn't got any hooks into me. I cannot recall more than half the album off the top of my head. I'm particularly upset by the simplicity of the drums: both the patterns and the patches themselves (a trend that started with YZ, imho WT was the last straight NIN album, Ghosts excepted, with really good drum patches/samples/actual drumming)

Hey man, everyone has their own opinion. I dont agree with your opinion on any level, and thats cool, but i would recommend repeated listenings. Shit grows on you, you know? I think the hooks are there, and better than ever. The hook in "all time low" is one of my fav nin hooks ever. And the instrumentation during the chorus of "i would for you" is gorgeous.

nineismine
09-13-2013, 01:10 PM

Crazy. :P thats about all I can say. TO me each of thee songs are lush with textures and sounds that are pleasing to the ear. I have been listening pretty much only to this for about 2 weeks now and I love it. I re-visited some of the other albums this week. And while even today I can find new appreciation for the Fragile and am disappointed to still find With Teeth Boring and a chore to listen to. I put on a song from HM during this interlude and found myself not wanting to stop it....

sentient02970
09-13-2013, 01:17 PM
Satellite 3:04 = :)

Halo Infinity
09-13-2013, 05:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXl_9cCuaAU

Reegis Reg
09-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Hi there fellow Nails' fans. If you'd like to check it out, I wrote a review of the awesome Hesitation Marks here: http://www.goldenplec.com/nine-inch-nails-hesitation-marks-review/. Have a nice day.

eversonpoe
09-23-2013, 11:18 PM
feel free to post your link in this thread (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2168-Hesitation-Marks-ETS-Reviews) with everyone else's reviews.

Mod note: Merged

DaNiN
09-24-2013, 04:51 AM
Can't get enough of HM..Cd's in 2 cars and room stereo,mp3 on ipod and iphone..i own a buisness with my dad and we carpool,he starting humming copy of a..

I listened to zero other artists the past month,only HM and Broken(coz its been a while)..

Said it before on other threads and i'm saying it again,this album was hell of a surprise,i thought we're getting an album like the slip where imo you can feel that Trent didn't make a major effort writing it but HM is somehing else, it's fine art.