PDA

View Full Version : The Nick Cave Thread

Pages : [1] 2

clodhopper
12-01-2011, 08:00 AM
The Bads Seeds, The Birthday Party, Grinderman, etc.

A place to discuss those bands, and his other projects.

icklekitty
12-01-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm probably a bigger fan of Nick Cave as an author - and consequently the thing I like most about his music is the lyrics.

xmd 5a
12-01-2011, 08:27 AM
I love the deranged insanity of the Boys Next Door-Birthday Party-early Bad Seeds albums myself. Love the first Grinderman album and Dig Lazarus Dig too.

Anyone seen Autoluminescent (Rowland S Howard doco) yet? It looks fantastic and passed completely under my radar.

Dinki Di
12-03-2011, 12:43 AM
Does anyone know why he never does proper North American tours anymore? It is always a handful of dates at most.

clodhopper
12-03-2011, 09:54 AM
The last full tour he did of North America I think was in 2008; Grinderman did a pretty extensive one last fall. I'd expect another with the new Bad Seeds album which is supposed to be released sometime in 2012.

Dinki Di
12-05-2011, 01:30 AM
i guess what I meant was a tour that did went around middle America and not just the coasts.

ad infinitum
12-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Would frickin' love to see Nick Cave, in any incarnation, live. Cave & Warren Ellis are pure magic (http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/grinderman_rocks_serbia_this_is_what_rock_and_roll _looks_like) together.

frankie teardrop
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
i've been less stoked about the ellis/cave bromance these days, and feel like nick cave has really got to get out of his comfort zone in the near future. the soundtrack material has been fantastic, but i couldn't get into grinderman 2 or dig lazarus dig aside from a few tracks. miss you, blixa. miss you mick.

that said, been all about rowland's solo records these days. highly recommended for those unfamiliar.

uroboros
12-11-2011, 11:18 PM
The Birthday Party's "Hee Haw", "Prayers on Fire" & "Junkyard" are being re-released on vinyl this month. On colored vinyl or 180g.

My original pressing of Junkyard ain't so cool anymore. Needless to say though, this is exciting!

"cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha-cha...
King Ink a wake up a King Ink a get up a King Ink a wake up a King Ink
a get up a get up a get up a get up a get up
a what's in that room? a what's in that house?
a what's in that room? a what's in that house?
say something, express thyself, say something, express yourself
express... say something loudly Aaaaaahhhh!!!!!"

Kid Charlemagne
12-12-2011, 12:42 AM
I'm probably more a fan of latter day Nick Cave than anything. I think Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is one of the most underrated albums ever. I loved Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, and both Grinderman albums are classic for me. Murder Ballads is choice too.

danebraddy
12-12-2011, 06:08 AM
the end of Grinderman has saddened my greatly. Grinderman 2 was mindblowing - hopefully this means some more Bad Seeds stuff is coming...

Somewhat Damaged
12-12-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm probably more a fan of latter day Nick Cave than anything. I think Abattoir Blues/The Lyre of Orpheus is one of the most underrated albums ever. I loved Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!, and both Grinderman albums are classic for me. Murder Ballads is choice too.

AB/TLoO is seriously one of my favorite albums. It's so fucking good.

frankie teardrop
12-12-2011, 02:13 PM
the end of Grinderman has saddened my greatly. Grinderman 2 was mindblowing - hopefully this means some more Bad Seeds stuff is coming...

mindblowing? i liked the first album OK, but the second was kind of wanky on the typical garage riffs and chords angle. for me, grinderman sort of fell short on the promises they were delivering. a lot of people (including the band) compared them to the birthday party, but i didn't hear anything as depraved, raw, and flat out bile-inducing (all good) on any of the grinderman tracks. just kind of seemed like a badseeds record, minus the great literary references and a bunch of wink wink, nod nod goofy sexuality prowling wolf kind of stuff. i was down with the gospel-blues aspect of abbatoir/lyre, but it's been a slow decline for me since then.

i really hope that with this decision to end grinderman, nick and co. really raise the bar soon and come out with something truly great like most/all of the records that preceeded this era (not counting nocturama, blech). nothing on dig lazarus dig was awful, per se (i LOVE 'we call upon the author,' but that's about it), but there was a lot of badseeds-by-numbers stuff on there too.

theburningreptile
12-12-2011, 03:25 PM
I got into Nick Cave when I played Alan Wake and heard Up Jumped the Devil. I thought that it was one of the most badass songs I've ever heard and when I get some money I'm getting Tender Prey and Let Love In.

frankie teardrop
12-12-2011, 03:31 PM
A+ choices!

Space Suicide
12-12-2011, 03:51 PM
No love for The Good Son or Let Love In? Those are my favorites.

frankie teardrop
12-12-2011, 03:54 PM
a little talk of let love in right above. a bona-fide classic and a mean record with lots of cave standards/classics. i've always had mixed opinions on the good son, but any track that ends in "song" is amazing. the b-sides from that records are incredible, too.

my favorite badseeds album:

http://static.boomkat.com/images/212582/333.jpg

xmd 5a
12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
my favorite badseeds album:

http://static.boomkat.com/images/212582/333.jpg

+1

Also:
http://bigpondmusic.com/images/AlbumCoverArt/384/XXL/From-Her-To-Eternity-2009-Digital-Remaster.jpg

...with Dig Lazarus Dig a close third.

Piko
12-12-2011, 04:47 PM
No love for The Good Son or Let Love In? Those are my favorites.

Let Love In and Murder Ballads are my two favorites. The Good Son was the first album I heard and I didn't like it at first. Henry's Dream might be third. Nocturama being my least favorite. No More Shall We Part, being my favorite of the three mellow ones.

eversonpoe
12-15-2011, 11:46 PM
did anyone notice this in the WSJ article about TGWTDT score?

Freshly minted film composers include Daft Punk ("Tron: Legacy"), Nick Cave ("The Road"), and the Chemical Brothers ("Hanna").

correct me if i'm wrong, but Nick Cave has been doing film scores since the 90s, and has a few under his belt (Ghosts Of The Civil Dead, The Proposition, The Assassination Of Jesse James...). how does that make him "freshly minted"?

also, Let Love In, Henry's Dream, & The Firstborn Is Dead are my favourites.

The Doctor
12-16-2011, 10:44 AM
I'm a Nick Cave fanboy. I've loved pretty much everything He's put out, Birthday Party, Bad Seeds, Grinderman, his haunting soundtrack work with Ellis, etc. The only album that I skip tracks on is Nocturama. But even that one, Bring It On and Babe I'm On Fire are classic.

My favorites are Henry's Dream, Let Love In, Tender Prey, The Boatman's Call. That Boatman's Call album cover by Autumn DeWilde is classic:
http://onealbumaday.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/album-cover-nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-the-boatmans-call.jpg

And where did you hear Grinderman is done? Link please?

frankie teardrop
12-16-2011, 11:23 AM
did anyone notice this in the WSJ article about TGWTDT score?

Freshly minted film composers include Daft Punk ("Tron: Legacy"), Nick Cave ("The Road"), and the Chemical Brothers ("Hanna").

correct me if i'm wrong, but Nick Cave has been doing film scores since the 90s, and has a few under his belt (Ghosts Of The Civil Dead, The Proposition, The Assassination Of Jesse James...). how does that make him "freshly minted"?

you are correct. ghosts of the civil dead was 1988, and he's also done some scoring for his book releases (and the ass saw the angel). sounds like typical journalists who don't do their homework...

as for the above inquiry about grinderman, here's yr link:
http://popstache.com/news/nick-cave-says-grinderman-is-done/

danebraddy
12-18-2011, 01:32 AM
I always had a soft spot for Henry's Dream - but lately 'no more shall me part' has been getting a lot of play when I'm at work... the lyrics on that album are awesome...

Piko
12-18-2011, 01:46 AM
Coming to the realization that aside from Tupelo, I've never really listened to The Firstborn Is Dead... From Her To Eternity and Trial have only gotten a few listens too. The 90s stuff is what I listen to the most.

Space Suicide
12-18-2011, 12:25 PM
The 90s stuff is what I listen to the most.

Same but his older albums are great too. Your Funeral...My Trial is great.

Looking at this thread made me crack out The Good Son. I love that album so much. Brought me back to memories for when I first got into the Bad Seeds. It was the first album I had listened to by them as well.

The Ship Song is so beautiful. Even though there isn't any need to, I get emotional listening to it. zit provokes images, ideas and wild visuals in my head everytime I listen. One of the few songs by any artist that can conjure my feelings as much as it does.

Piko
12-18-2011, 12:38 PM
When I listen to Good Son, I'm all about Sorrow's Child. Great song right there. Something about Ship Song doesn't really click with me like it should. I like it, but it's far from a favorite. Catchy.

theburningreptile
12-18-2011, 12:50 PM
If you like '' up jumped the devil'' I would recomend ''Tender Prey'', ''The first born is dead'' and ''From her to eternity'' Those three albums are everything good about the bad seeds. I love all their albums for different reasons however those three for me are the best with the ''good son'' and ''Henry's dream'' coming in after those. I would skip on ''let love in'' untill you have the other five. jmo.

Thanks, I will check them out too. :)

frankie teardrop
11-27-2012, 10:21 AM
a few things i never mentioned in the thread before (for some reason?). we got married the same night nick was playing at the smaller madison square garden theatre in 2008. we wrote nick and his publicist to see if he'd stop by and play a song at the piano, in an old museum in coney island (above a bar that i know he frequents while in town).

anyway, he actually wrote us back and politely declined, and we got some friends to perform 'into my arms' on acoustic guitar in his stead. we took a quick honeymoon (real one in the spring) and then i caught the philly show on the dig lazarus dig tour.

anyway, what i'm REALLY here to post is info of a new album, which despite all my crankiness about ellis above, actually sounds really promising:

http://pitchfork.com/news/48724-nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-announce-new-album-push-the-sky-away/

henryeatscereal
11-27-2012, 10:57 AM
Most underrated live album ever...

http://d.yimg.com/ec/image/v1/release/161139;encoding=jpg;size=300;fallback=defaultImage

Space Suicide
11-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Great news and hopefully it's steps above Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!! Not to say I didn't like the album but was underwhelmed entirely.

Dinki Di
11-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Exciting news. I hope They let some of the Grinderman aesthetic remain in the band.

uroboros
11-27-2012, 11:17 AM
I just dropped $200 on the deluxe boxset of Push the Sky Away. Vinylx3, CD, DVD, handbound 150 page book. Easily the best cover art to grace a Bad Seeds album too.

frankie teardrop
11-27-2012, 11:22 AM
whoa. intense! i'd inspect the contents of that box even further, but for some reason nick cave's official site is blocked at work? bizarre.

uroboros
11-27-2012, 11:46 AM
Push The Sky Away Super Deluxe Box Set (pre-order)

Made to order super deluxe box set. Contents encased in linen bound lift-off lid box as shown.
Digital album delivered by e-mail 18 February 2013.
The box set will be delivered April 2013.

Ever wanted to know how a song comes about? The very special notebook in this bespoke box set is an anatomy of the album, song by song. The multitude of written notes are painstakingly reproduced, a detailed dissection of each song, an autopsy with a runaway scalpel; dozens of unused verses, alternate song titles, rants and screeds, embarrassing digressions, photographs, drawings and scribbles that in a sane world should never see the light of day. Here Nick gives the listener an unprecedented insight into the mania of the songwriting process.

Includes:
CD Album and vinyl album [180gm Heavyweight Vinyl]
DVD with specially created visuals by artists Iain Forsyth & Jane Pollard.
2 x exclusive 7” vinyls containing non album bonus tracks
Exclusive 120-page replica of Nick Cave’s handwritten, hand stamped and hand glued notebooks.
Numbered certificate of authenticity signed by Nick Cave (original signature limited to first 300 orders)
Exclusive liner notes

Digital download of track We No Who U R, delivered to your 'My Account' area on 3 December 2012

CD
1 We No Who U R
2 Wide Lovely Eyes
3 Water's Edge
4 Jubilee Street
5 Mermaids
6 We Real Cool
7 Finishing Jubilee Street
8 Higgs Boson Blues
9 Push The Sky Away

Vinyl
Side 1
1 We No Who U R
2 Wide Lovely Eyes
3 Water’s Edge
4 Jubilee Street
5 Mermaids
Side 2
1 We Real Cool
2 Finishing Jubilee Street
3 Higgs Boson Blues
4 Push The Sky Away

7”
Needle Boy
7”
Lightning Bolts

DVD
1 Needle Boy
2 Lightning Bolts

henryeatscereal
11-27-2012, 12:09 PM
As a huge fan of "Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!" im hooked!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aK59GDfWvsg&feature=share&list=PLcXviRsCvzrCzBJs8sgaUZyTXuRiROFYc

Piko
11-27-2012, 02:06 PM
He seems to have a little more hair than usual in that video. Musically, I wonder what this album will be like. Perhaps a mellow one this time around? Seems like they might be going in a piano/drone-ish direction. We'll see.

uroboros
11-27-2012, 02:16 PM
He seems to have a little more hair than usual in that video. Musically, I wonder what this album will be like. Perhaps a mellow one this time around? Seems like they might be going in a piano/drone-ish direction. We'll see.

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds release their fifteenth studio album PUSH THE SKY AWAY on 18 February 2013
“Well, if I were to use that threadbare metaphor of albums being like children, then Push The Sky Away is the ghost-baby in the incubator and Warren’s loops are its tiny, trembling heart-beat.” Nick Cave
At the heart of Push the Sky Away is a naturalism and warmth that makes it the most subtly beautiful of all the Bad Seeds albums. The contemporary settings of myths, and the cultural references that have time-stamped Nick’s songs of the twenty-first century mist lightly through details drawn from the life he observed around his seaside home, through the tall windows on the album’s mysterious and ambiguous cover.
The songs on this album took form in a modest notebook with shellac covers over the course of almost a year. The notebook is a treasured analogue artefact but the internet is equally important to Nick: Googling curiosities, being entranced by exotic Wikipedia entries “whether they’re true or not”. These songs convey how on the internet profoundly significant events, momentary fads and mystically-tinged absurdities sit side-by-side and question how we might recognise and assign weight to what’s genuinely important.
Push the Sky Away was produced by Nick Launay and recorded at La Fabrique, a recording studio based in a 19th Century mansion in the South of France, where the walls of the main studio are lined with an immense collection of classical vinyl.
“I enter the studio with a handful of ideas, unformed and pupal; it’s the Bad Seeds that transform them into things of wonder. Ask anyone who has seen them at work. They are unlike any other band on earth for pure, instinctive inventiveness.” Nick Cave
On this album it’s not always apparent what instruments the band is playing: they may be traditional musical instruments but other sounds are clearly generated by objects unrelated to musical instruments. What’s being created is a collective musical language that’s rich and complex.
Push the Sky Away has a clarity and sweet strangeness that’s built upon the refusal to accept limitations, whether they be the traditional uses and sounds of musical instruments, lyric styles, or diminished spiritual horizons.
“I don’t know, this record just seems new, you know, but new in an old school kind of way” Nick Cave

eversonpoe
11-28-2012, 12:01 AM
i really, really, really want the box set, but i have bought so many special editions and box sets recently that i can't spend the money on this.

i'm a little sad it's not getting the 5.1 treatment (as all the remasters have sounded fantastic in surround) but i guess without mick actually being in the band anymore, it makes sense that they wouldn't do that for a new album.

so...i'll probably just get the vinyl, as i have no bad seeds in that format (but i do have both grinderman albums on wax, and they sound very at home).

frankie teardrop
12-03-2012, 10:21 AM
new song is decent:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBl86cIV3g

henryeatscereal
12-03-2012, 10:56 AM
North American Tour Dates Announced:

http://www.nickcave.com/news/north-american-tour-dates-announced/

(PLUS: There's rumors for some South American tour dates)

richardp
12-03-2012, 11:19 AM
New song was ok. I think I'll like it more once the initial disappointment of the Grinderman style being absent goes away. I am so incredibly bummed out that the tour is skipping Kansas City between Chicago and Denver. So many bands skip KC, it's ridiculous.

Piko
12-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Reminds me a lot of The Boatman Calls. Liking it.

eversonpoe
12-03-2012, 02:59 PM
Reminds me a lot of The Boatman Calls. Liking it.

that's the only album i really don't like, but i like this song quite a lot. hmmm...

Piko
12-03-2012, 06:09 PM
that's the only album i really don't like, but i like this song quite a lot. hmmm...

I used to think the same thing about it. Eventually, I gave it another chance and fell in love with it.

BlueCalx
12-03-2012, 06:17 PM
With that album cover, the record should have been called The Pimpin's Ice-Cold.​

Sutekh
12-04-2012, 06:52 AM
but is the album cover sexist? This is what at least 3 people are whinging about on facebook

A career pervaded by songs about murder & the suggestion of sexual menace was presumably fine though :P

Piko
12-04-2012, 07:47 AM
Its just a cover...

Frozen Beach
12-04-2012, 08:07 AM
I think the people who find the album cover sexist are simply looking for something to be offended by. That, or they just want an excuse to see Nick Cave naked.

BlueCalx
12-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Well, let's look at the facts, or what passes for them. The sleeve depicts a fully-dressed Cave staring daggers as he shows a cowering, naked woman the door. If this were the cover of Too $hort's latest, this conversation wouldn't be worth having, we'd know for sure that it was sexist. As it is, no one here has heard the record, and if it's full of songs about blowjobs and bawdy duets between Cave and Ellis wherein they talk about all their shared conquests, we'll have our answer. Nick Cave only just finished up ripping the piss out of Spinal Tap bro mentality via Grinderman, so I'm guessing the cover is yet another macabre joke in a career full of them. Remember, "problematic" just means "it sets my teeth on edge, but I like it anyway".

Sutekh
12-04-2012, 01:18 PM
Its just a cover...

Is it? You know for sure it's an arbitrary composition with no intent in the symbolism & that it bears no reflection & has no effect on culture at large? I have no problem with the cover but I don't think you can affirmatively say "it's just a cover", even if you're the one that put it together...

Bluecalx I think you might be right about context. My feeling is that it isn't intended to degrade women but in a very small way it adds to the tissue of female degradation that pervades our culture. But I don't think its a serious enough example to warrant any fuss. I know that sounds terribly wanky! But I think it's an interesting thing to consider.

I do wonder about some feminist positions on depictions of sexuality and women... I find it hard to accept that all depictions of submissive kinkiness are wrong somehow... I do wonder if it's a bit of cultural religious puritanism trying to rationalise its way into being expressed

Either way, it's a nice cover!

uroboros
12-05-2012, 10:40 AM
North American Tour PreSales are happening right now at Nickcave.com
But I got my Denver ticket! All I need to do know is figure how I'm getting from Hawaii to Denver...ugh. Debt here I come.

eversonpoe
12-05-2012, 02:41 PM
pre-sales were sold out by the time my mom called me and asked if i was getting us tickets to see him (big surprise for me!) but the venue's website had a pre-sale for chase card members, so i still got great seats! WOO!

Dinki Di
12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
I got tickets for Dallas. So excited.

danebraddy
01-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Jubilee Street

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYyX1ISE6KQ

I'm starting to think the album is going to be closer to 'No More Shall We Part' than some of the earlier stuff, both songs are very brooding and subdued.
I'm liking it so far - another change of pace from the the Grinderman / DLD era of Cave...

frankie teardrop
01-14-2013, 11:29 AM
oh my, is that actual...VIOLIN i hear there? bless you warren ellis, for putting down the miniature guitars and actually bringing back that dirty three-esque vibe that i loved on boatman's/no more shall we part. promising indeed. i didn't care at all for the gruff and tough of grinderman (the remnants of which appeard on dig lazarus dig) so i'm probably going to love this album...

henryeatscereal
01-14-2013, 12:29 PM
Daaaaamn Nick is sad alright...

danebraddy
01-24-2013, 11:45 PM
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds confirmed for Coachella, but more interestingly so is Grinderman - is it a case of 'We're there, might as well' or is Grinderman coming out of 'retirement'?

Though the Bad Seeds is my preferred Nick Cave project, I love Grinderman and think they could keep going - as long as the lines between them and the Bad Seeds don't blur as much as they did in DLD and the first Grinderman record.

(Not that I didn't love DLD, but save a couple of tracks, it could have easily been labelled as a Grinderman album and no one would have thought it was strange)

xmd 5a
01-25-2013, 12:57 AM
"We No Who U Are" and "Jubilee Street" are fucking amazing. This new album is going to be ace. I'm also glad they're moving away from the Grinderman-DLD sound. I mean, DLD is one of my favourite Bad Seeds albums and the first Grinderman album has some awesome Birthday Party throwback moments, but there's only so far they can take that sound. Loving the diversity on these new tracks.

Piko
01-25-2013, 10:12 AM
I'm really excited for the new album. Glad they changed the direction. Hopefully, there's at least a couple upbeat ones though. If not, I'm sure it'll be fine. The Seeds rarely disappoint.

richardp
02-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Drip drip drip!!!!!!!

This album is remarkably beautiful.

danebraddy
02-05-2013, 01:08 AM
Full video for Jubilee Street:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCxHvNl9MmQ

Edit: should note that it is NSFW

danebraddy
02-05-2013, 01:37 AM
Drip drip drip!!!!!!!

This album is remarkably beautiful.

Indeed. Far too early for a 'review' or an opinion on it, but a word that comes to mind is... subtle... beautifully so.

uroboros
02-05-2013, 02:18 AM
The Initial Push (a review):

The time is nigh to wade and wallow in the harrowing loveliness & menacing majesty that is ‘Push The Sky Away’. Tis a restrained and nuanced performance from Nick & the Seeds. The live renditions will certainly drop us to our knees.

Analogous albums: The Boatman’s Call, No More Shall We Part & The Lyre of Orpheus

frankie teardrop
02-05-2013, 09:50 AM
just finished my first listen. i LOVED it. first time in a long time from the bad seeds co.

Piko
02-05-2013, 07:49 PM
One listen in so far. Really enjoying it.

henryeatscereal
02-05-2013, 09:12 PM
The album is definitely a "groovier" sequel for "No more shall we part"

thevoid99
02-05-2013, 09:16 PM
I just heard the record about an hour ago. There's definitely a blues element there. Why are they not in the Rock N' Roll Hall of Fame? They definitely deserve to be there.

The Doctor
02-06-2013, 01:05 AM
On my first listen and loving it so far. However, it was pretty jarring to hear the names Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus in "Higgs Boson Blues." Most Cave songs exist out of specific historical/pop culture context so it's weird to hear teeny-bopper names thrown in. If someone can explain to me why he did it, maybe I can get over it...

Jinsai
02-06-2013, 02:02 AM
On my first listen and loving it so far. However, it was pretty jarring to hear the names Hannah Montana and Miley Cyrus in "Higgs Boson Blues." Most Cave songs exist out of specific historical/pop culture context so it's weird to hear teeny-bopper names thrown in. If someone can explain to me why he did it, maybe I can get over it...

I don't think it's that big of a deal... After all, if you want to depress the shit out of me, you'll quickly and succinctly remind me of the existence of Miley Cyrus. Aren't hannah montana and miley cyrus the same person anyway? That's a sad and dreary topic to cover, and so bravo to him.

But no, he does make cultural references from time to time. The lyrics to There She Goes My Beautiful World is all strange generation leaping name dropping.

Piko
02-06-2013, 07:37 AM
The album is definitely a "groovier" sequel for "No more shall we part"

I was thinking more Nocturama, but better. The first time I heard We No Who U R, it reminded me from Brompton Oratory off The Boatman Calls. I'd say a mix of Boatman/Nocturama mixed with a lot of new.

He was making fun of people on the internet. The lingo, the knowledge from Google and Wikipedia.

henryeatscereal
02-06-2013, 08:57 AM
I was thinking more Nocturama, but better. The first time I heard We No Who U R, it reminded me from Brompton Oratory off The Boatman Calls. I'd say a mix of Boatman/Nocturama mixed with a lot of new.
The sure thing: it's nothing like "Dig Lazarus, Dig!!!" i know the disc it's 5 years old, still this was a surprise...
"Nocturama" it's an interesting "transition album" since it has stuff from his "crooner phase" with his "Rockin' Grindermanish phase" (mostly 'cause Babe Im on Fire), most of the album has a quiet atmosphere much like "No More Shall We Part", "Boatman" and of course it has much of the "Nocturama" spirit, i think the album will grow on me big time!

Piko
02-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Definitely a surprise sound after Dig and the Grinder man stuff. Enjoying it a lot though.

Morad
02-11-2013, 10:29 PM
I adore the new album. I think it's my favorite piece of work by Cave. It's so, so beautiful.

I reviewed it for Antiquiet, and here's the link (http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2013/02/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-press-beyond-the-heavens-with-push-the-sky-away/)if anybody's interested in reading it. I gave it five stars.

The Doctor
02-12-2013, 01:35 AM
I adore the new album. I think it's my favorite piece of work by Cave. It's so, so beautiful.

I reviewed it for Antiquiet, and here's the link (http://www.antiquiet.com/reviews/2013/02/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-press-beyond-the-heavens-with-push-the-sky-away/)if anybody's interested in reading it. I gave it five stars.

Beautifully written. Thanks for sharing.

october_midnight
02-14-2013, 11:54 AM
Why haven't I listened to this until now? Sweet fuck is it great. Tickets for the newly announced Vancouver show onsale tomorrow.....may have to hit that up.

uroboros
02-17-2013, 08:39 AM
The 'Bay has a gift for Nick Cave fans. Tis an astounding FM broadcast of the recent Berlin Show. This...is...essential...listening. But a word of caution, it no doubt contains massive spoilers for the upcoming tour. Go fetch! & now I will say no more.

danebraddy
02-17-2013, 07:08 PM
That's a kickass setlist

uroboros
02-17-2013, 08:06 PM
****SPOILERZ on Bad Seeds Tour 2013 below:

The first part is especially stellar. Alas, many of the standards are still being thrown in there. Ships, Seat, Stag, D, Red, etc. But I'm a guy who is sick of the singles that are played at EVERY show. (Lookin' at you, trent.) Nevertheless, The Bad Seeds always have new arrangements to keep it interesting. Great Concert, Fantastic Recording & amusing banter from the man himself. The choir and strings will be missing from the show I'll be attending. So I'm glad to experience it second hand.

End Ze Spoils****

I'm especially stoked that Barry Adamson is back in the band. It would've been wrong to tour without ONE of the ORIGINAL Bad Seeds.

Rdm
02-19-2013, 09:41 AM
My vinyl got shipped out today !!!!! This album is perfect

richardp
02-20-2013, 12:46 AM
Got the vinyl today. The two bonus tracks are fucking amazing.

Jinsai
02-20-2013, 12:49 AM
man, I want the super special edition of this so bad. I really cannot afford it though, but holy shit does that sounds like the coolest special edition ever.

dzaver
02-20-2013, 01:06 AM
Got the vinyl today. The two bonus tracks are fucking amazing.

any way for ripping it? :) I'd love to hear them. I cant afford the vinyl so I only got the digital download from iTunes.

richardp
02-20-2013, 01:08 AM
Yeah I would LOVE to own that replica notebook. I can only imagine how scattered one his notebooks must look.

uroboros
02-20-2013, 01:32 AM
any way for ripping it? :) I'd love to hear them. I cant afford the vinyl so I only got the digital download from iTunes.

The two b-sides are on the 'Bay. Essential.

henryeatscereal
02-20-2013, 01:57 AM
I just watched him live a few hours ago... He played "Stranger Than Kindness", i can die a happy man...

dzaver
02-20-2013, 02:01 AM
The two b-sides are on the 'Bay. Essential.

thanks!!!!

Rdm
02-20-2013, 02:28 AM
Ops wrong thread

xmd 5a
02-20-2013, 05:40 AM
New album is really cool. The two singles are still my favourite new tracks, but the rest of the material is very solid. The opening lines of "Finishing Jubilee Street" made me smile so hard. Cave should write more meta-songs...

frankie teardrop
02-20-2013, 10:15 AM
I just watched him live a few hours ago... He played "Stranger Than Kindness", i can die a happy man...

ooof. my favorite.

henryeatscereal
02-20-2013, 11:01 AM
ooof. my favorite.
It's one of my faves too!!!
I didn't see that one coming! This is my fourth time watching him and it never appeared on the setlist, im so glad he played it...
By the way, im loving "Push the Sky" away, more and more!

frankie teardrop
02-20-2013, 11:26 AM
SPOILER: i do wish 'god is in the house' wasn't the only song from no more shall we part that appears on the recent setlists (though i guess 'love letter' is in there sometimes). while the new record has quite a lot in common with that record, that song always felt like a cruel, stupid joke in the middle of an otherwise beautiful album. that aside, i've seen nick three times now, and he played it two out of the three shows. why does he keep returning to that one instead of say, 'hallelujah'?

The Doctor
02-20-2013, 01:05 PM
I completely understand some of the setlist complaints I've read on here, but some of these staples that are boring to some of you would be amazing to see live next month.

You see, I live in a part of the world (Texas) that very rarely gets an appearance by Nick Cave. The last time he was here at all was in 2002, and back then I was a poor undergrad not quite as knowledgable about music as I am now. I'll be seeing him for the first time next month in Dallas and would glad to hear any of the old "standards" like Stagger Lee or Red Right Hand. Though hearing about Stranger Than Kindness makes me kinda giddy...

Just perspective I suppose...

Also, fwiw, here's my review of Push The Sky Away: http://ourvinyl.com/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-push-the-sky-away/

Rdm
02-20-2013, 01:33 PM
Just got it with the 7 inch vinyl . I did know there is a super special edition? Mine cost 20 dollars.

The 2nd song and last song are pretty heart wrenching to say the least.

henryeatscereal
02-20-2013, 05:56 PM
SPOILER: i do wish 'god is in the house' wasn't the only song from no more shall we part that appears on the recent setlists (though i guess 'love letter' is in there sometimes). while the new record has quite a lot in common with that record, that song always felt like a cruel, stupid joke in the middle of an otherwise beautiful album. that aside, i've seen nick three times now, and he played it two out of the three shows. why does he keep returning to that one instead of say, 'hallelujah'?
The funny thing is that even he makes fun of that song... When he played it in last night's show, he fucked it up twice and he said something like: "i did it yesterday i swear" ...gotta love the man!

SPOILER...

I also got "Love Letter", it was awesome!

/SOPILER...

Hazekiah
02-21-2013, 04:56 AM
The parents of a few of the Butcher Babies & Fred Sablan & Twiggy's fiancee & Nick Cave were all in attendance at Manson's show in Anaheim last night.

jmtd
02-21-2013, 03:43 PM
Still haven't really got Cave/Seeds. Tried Lyre/Abattoir, b-sides/rarities and murder ballads so far. Oh tried her/eternity once but didn't take. Can't remember anything about it now though. Revisited Abattoir after hearing "O Children" in Potter (not ashamed!): I now like two tracks from the double album, not a great par. Having said that, really liking what I'm hearing about this new one. Might get it by the end of the week.

frankie teardrop
02-21-2013, 03:52 PM
i've always found murder ballads to be vastly overrated, though not lacking a few great numbers. try let love in, no more shall we part, and your funeral my trial. if those don't take, don't waste your time any further.

henryeatscereal
02-22-2013, 09:12 AM
Nick is rebroadcasting the L.A. show from last night, it'll only be for the next 24 hours...

http://youtu.be/fymChgeO00g

andreiuc88
02-22-2013, 11:13 AM
One of my favorite artists of all time. The new album is really dark but beautiful, I think it is pretty much a perfect album. Just wonderful, cannot describe it in words.
The performance is also great, nice to hear the new songs played live. Nice to also hear some different versions of the old songs. This has made my day.
By the way, does anyone understands what is the guy from the audience shouting at 51:42? He shouts a name of a song an pisses off Nick Cave a bit, but I cant understand which one.

Hazekiah
02-22-2013, 08:30 PM
Can't see the video on my cell but the only time I saw him someone shouted "Play Freebird!" & he totally took the piss & brought the house down by actually playing it, lol.

Morad
03-26-2013, 02:20 AM
Nobody's talking about the tour that's happening? I went to the Massey Hall show in Toronto on Saturday night and it was mind-blowing The Bad Seeds all have such great stage presence, and the string section was led by Owen Pallett, which was just a great treat. The stuff from the new record was incredible by the way, especially the title-track. It's really worth going to, and talking about.

Here's what I wrote about it for Antiquiet (http://www.antiquiet.com/shows/2013/03/nick-cave-toronto-review/).

SaintNoir
03-26-2013, 11:25 AM
I saw back to back shows a little over a week ago. Went to Nashville and than Asheville. Definitely some of the best shows I have seen in a while.

frankie teardrop
03-26-2013, 11:40 AM
going friday- wish i could make more of the gigs... hoping for 'stranger than kindness' which i've seen on a few setlists!

SaintNoir
03-27-2013, 08:10 AM
going friday- wish i could make more of the gigs... hoping for 'stranger than kindness' which i've seen on a few setlists!

That song was FANTASTIC live. Probably my favorite of the night.

eversonpoe
03-27-2013, 09:12 AM
seeing them with my mom (who is so excited it's hilarious) on monday, which happens to be april fool's day...hoping nick does something funny.

frankie teardrop
03-27-2013, 11:26 AM
That song was FANTASTIC live. Probably my favorite of the night.

agh. he's playing three shows in NYC, and it seems like that song gets swapped out. odds are not in my favor for this one, so don't tell me how great it was! ;) i've seen him three times already, so i hope i don't get stuck with 'deanna' for the third time...

blackholesun
03-27-2013, 12:16 PM
Finally heard Push the Sky Away yesterday. Loved it. I was on the fence about seeing him play here in 2 weeks, but I think I was just pushed over.

eversonpoe
04-02-2013, 01:11 PM
wow, that was a good show last night.

after playing four or five songs off "push the sky away" they launched right into "from her to eternity."
other things i didn't expect to hear but was SO excited to hear:
"jack the ripper"
"tupelo"
"papa won't leave you henry"
"the mercy seat"
"your funeral my trial"
"love letter"

i was a little bummed there was NOTHING from abattoir blues/lyre of orpheus on the setlist.

no string section (maybe that's only at special shows?) but seeing barry in the band was awesome. he looked like he was having so much fun the whole time.

frankie teardrop
04-02-2013, 01:44 PM
a very similar setlist in NYC- i went to the second of the three, and arguably the best setlist of the three nights. we got all the gems you listed above, but not 'your funeral my trial' (as i've mentioned in previous posts, that one & no more shall we part are my two favorite albums). we did get to hear 'people ain't no good' as well, a highlight. nick took out his roadie with a mic stand to the eye and botched 'stagger lee' most incredibly, but it was still one of the best shows i'd seen from the band. too bad about the string section, NYC had both that as well as a harlem children's choir. sorry to hear that's not standard across the board as it really upped things a notch...

as for abattoir, they played 'o children' the first and third night which i would have loved to hear as well... sounds like they rotate the rarities and keep the staples. getting a little repetitive to hear some of the same tunes each tour but looks like they at least throw a bone or two out there. and i didn't have to hear 'god is in the house' yet again- man that song is a snoozer (and i love that record otherwise).

eversonpoe
04-02-2013, 07:48 PM
they played "people ain't no good"! i can't believe i forgot to mention it.

clodhopper
04-13-2013, 05:03 AM
My mom is a longtime fan so we went together for their show at The Paramount last Sunday. AMAZING. I brought a promo poster of Push the Sky Away along with me in case the opportunity presented itself for him to sign it. I showed up to the venue a couple of hours before the doors opened to check it out, saw Conway Savage outside and approached him. He encouraged me to stick around as they had just finished their soundcheck and were going back to their hotel to do whatever it is they do before a show. Ten minutes later Barry Adamson & Martyn Casey came out, shortly after that Nick & Jim Sclavunos walk out followed by Warren Ellis...

The Doctor
04-14-2013, 11:32 PM
I don't supposed anybody ripped the Grinderman or Nick Cave Coachella sets, eh? If so kindly point me in the direction...

uroboros
04-15-2013, 12:24 AM
I may have seen something akin to which you seek in a recent comments section of nickcavefixes...I also am currently workin' on my own.

danebraddy
07-08-2013, 07:38 AM
I was just in my backyard (it's 10:30pm here) and was staring at the sky which, tonight, is perfectly clear and littered with stars. I had music playing through earbuds and Higgs Boson Blues came on. It was as close to a religious experience I'll ever get.
That song is fucking magical.

Piko
07-08-2013, 07:49 AM
I was just in my backyard (it's 10:30pm here) and was staring at the sky which, tonight, is perfectly clear and littered with stars. I had music playing through earbuds and Higgs Boson Blues came on. It was as close to a religious experience I'll ever get.
That song is fucking magical.

For some odd reason I was expecting you to say you were going to try and "push the sky away".

r_z
07-28-2013, 04:15 PM
I think, the new album is very good, 'though I liked "Lazarus" and "Grinderman 2" a bit more (yeah, I said it).

"Higgs Boson Blues" will be on repeat the next time I'm driving down to Italy (by way of Geneva that is). Such an awesome song.

Digital Twilight
09-27-2013, 02:45 PM
In just under 4 weeks I get to see my first Cave show :D so excited.

Perdita
09-27-2013, 03:40 PM
In just under 4 weeks, I will see him for the 30th something time, And I'm excited too :).

jmtd
10-21-2013, 02:10 PM
Can anyone tell me where the 8min+ version of "red right hand" originates?

frankie teardrop
10-21-2013, 02:16 PM
do you have a clip of it anywhere? i know there's a different version on one of the scream soundtracks, but the only 8 min. version i've heard is a remix...

henryeatscereal
10-21-2013, 02:21 PM
Can anyone tell me where the 8min+ version of "red right hand" originates?
There's a 6 minute version with added lyrics, recorded for the movie "Scream 3" called "Red Right Hand 2" and also there's a remix...

All the "Scream" movies include a different version of "Red Right Hand", the one in "Scream 2" is a 8-minute remix done by DJ Spooky, i think you mean that one.

jmtd
10-21-2013, 02:23 PM
Thanks - indeed it's the scream 2 one I was wondering about. It's the cheapest on iTunes, I guess that explains why. I guessed a 12" mix but Wikipedia is thin on the ground to confirm. Thanks

henryeatscereal
10-21-2013, 02:24 PM
Controversial opinion: I like "Red Right Hand 2" better than the original one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiQ-C49YvB0

frankie teardrop
10-21-2013, 02:29 PM
yeah, the dj spooky one was the remix i meant, forgot that was *also* on a scream soundtrack...

i love v.2 as well, though the intensity of the various live versions easily trumps any recorded version i've heard. really puts the power behind the breaks.

Space Suicide
10-21-2013, 02:55 PM
Red Right Hand 2 is all right. I like the alternate take but something feels missing.

I appreciate the more ominous tone to the song.

This is my have song that isn't on any traditional album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHqmKac3AI

Don't ask why I randomly told everybody for no reason haha.

henryeatscereal
10-24-2013, 10:44 AM
Once again Nick is mugging me, but once again i'm up for it:

http://warp.la/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/NickCave_LiveFromKCRW.jpeg

There was already "Live seeds", for me that album is the definitive live Nick Cave album.
Yet i'm happy he's releasing this one, i had the pleasure of watching him on this tour and it was great... a well deserved live album as a companion for the awesome "Push the Sky Away"

Piko
10-24-2013, 03:15 PM
Live Seeds is an absolute must. Never get enough from it.

henryeatscereal
10-24-2013, 04:51 PM
Live Seeds is an absolute must. Never get enough from it.
It was my first album from Nick cave ever (someone told me that it was a good buy), since then he's one of my favorites... i was hooked as soon as i pushed play and that beautiful version of "The Mercy Seat" started...

clodhopper
11-16-2013, 02:46 AM
It appears The Bad Seeds will be touring North America again next summer:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2013/11/nick_cave_the_b_11.html

october_midnight
11-18-2013, 12:39 PM
New tour and live album for Record Store's Black Friday announced. (http://pitchfork.com/news/53030-nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-announce-north-american-tour/)

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds:
11-18 Antwerp, Belgium - Lotto Arena
11-19 Paris, France - Zenith
11-21 Munich, Germany - Zenith
11-22 Prague, Czech Republic - Tipsport Arena
11-24 Vienna, Austria - Gasometer
11-25 Ljubljana, Slovenia - Hala Tivoli
11-27 Rome, Italy - Auditorium Parco Della Musica
11-28 Milan, Italy - Alcatraz
11-29 Bologna, Italy - Paladozza
06-16 Louisville, KY - Louisville Palace Theater
06-18 Kansas City, MO - Midland Theatre
06-20 Milwaukee, WI - The Milwaukee Theatre
06-21 Minneapolis, MN - State Theatre Minneapolis
06-24 Denver, CO - The Buell Theatre
06-27 Calgary, Alberta - Southern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
06-28 Edmonton, Alberta - Northern Alberta Jubilee Auditorium
06-30 Vancouver, British Columbia - Orpheum Theatre
07-02 Seattle, WA - Paramount Theatre
07-05 Portland, OR - Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
07-07 San Francisco, CA - The Warfield Theatre
07-11 Los Angeles, CA - Shrine Auditorium
07-19 Austin, TX - ACL Live at the Moody Theater
07-21 New Orleans, LA - Mahalia Jackson Theater
07-23 Washington, DC - Dar Constitution Hall
07-25 Philadelphia, PA - The Mann Center
07-26 New York, NY - Prospect Park
07-29 Detroit, MI - Masonic Temple
07-31 Toronto, Ontario - Sony Centre

eversonpoe
11-18-2013, 01:02 PM
no chicago date. LAME! my mom really wanted to see him again.

Rdm
11-18-2013, 11:46 PM
I finally get to see Nick Cave

richardp
11-20-2013, 01:07 PM
Scored tickets for orestes and I yesterday. YES!!! This dude has seriously been on my bucket list of people to see live for years now. I think the last time that he came through KC was in the 90s. Probably gonna fangirl out when dude comes into the crowd for Stagger Lee.

orestes
11-20-2013, 05:30 PM
Definitely going to vamp it up for this one!

richardp
11-21-2013, 01:40 AM
I need to just start growing my hair and beard out and show up looking like Warren Ellis.

eversonpoe
11-21-2013, 08:27 AM
I need to just start growing my hair and beard out and show up looking like Warren Ellis.

make sure you wear a suit that's too small for you.

henryeatscereal
11-21-2013, 09:02 AM
Yeah, grow the beard, nobody will recognize you if you go as "beardless Ellis"

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3544142-v

eversonpoe
11-21-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah, grow the beard, nobody will recognize you if you go as "beardless Ellis"

http://nla.gov.au/nla.pic-vn3544142-v

oh my god he looks way better with the beard. x.X

frankie teardrop
11-21-2013, 01:47 PM
really? i always preferred him and his stage presence/violin playing before the whole mountain man thing... that's obviously not a flattering photo...

henryeatscereal
11-21-2013, 05:04 PM
it's one of the few i know of Warren without the beard, seems to me he deleted all his "beardless pics" :P

Perdita
11-22-2013, 02:25 PM
I saw them 10 times this year, 8 times this last month. I need to go in rehab now, but I don't want to...

clodhopper
03-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Mark Lanegan will be supporting the Bad Seeds on the west coast dates of the upcoming tour:

http://marklanegan.com/tour

october_midnight
03-03-2014, 11:35 PM
Praise Odin, can't wait for the show!!

Kid Charlemagne
07-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Has anyone else gone to the shows for this current US leg? I saw them at Bonnaroo, and it was easily one of the top 3 sets I've seen at that fest, keep in mind I've seen guys like Macca, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, Elton, and Tom Petty play it, and the Seeds fucking killed it. I've been listening to a lot of the Seeds in preparation for next Friday's show, I'm hoping he closes out with this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIMDxX-Yps

implanted_microchip
07-08-2014, 11:23 PM
If there is ever a Florida date I have every intention of dropping whatever is going on and seeing them, no doubt about it.

Has anyone here gotten to see 20,000 Days on Earth yet? I know they've done some screenings at festivals, and I'm really interested in it. Has gotten a lot of good reception so far.

Jinsai
07-08-2014, 11:24 PM
I'm going to the show on friday. It will be great.

orestes
07-09-2014, 06:45 AM
Has anyone else gone to the shows for this current US leg? I saw them at Bonnaroo, and it was easily one of the top 3 sets I've seen at that fest, keep in mind I've seen guys like Macca, Arcade Fire, Radiohead, My Morning Jacket, Elton, and Tom Petty play it, and the Seeds fucking killed it. I've been listening to a lot of the Seeds in preparation for next Friday's show, I'm hoping he closes out with this again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YIMDxX-Yps

Yeah, me and richardp saw him last month and it was fucking amazing!

jmtd
07-09-2014, 10:26 AM
This is my have song that isn't on any traditional album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAHqmKac3AI

Don't ask why I randomly told everybody for no reason haha.

This video does not exist :(

Space Suicide
07-09-2014, 01:21 PM
This video does not exist :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B2F7_g3a-g

Aladdinsanity
07-09-2014, 08:56 PM
I had the opportunity to witness the man in all his living glory last week at the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall in Portland. Since the show had sold out just as quickly as tickets were made available, I had no choice but to purchase one of the $200 VIP packages that came with a ticket for a front row seat.

Needless to say, it was worth every penny. Standing at the very front of the audience when Nick Cave is on stage is an experience unparalleled. He will own your fucking soul. Just being on the floor level in general grants some chance at interaction, as he wasn't shy from making his way into the middle of the audience to perform entire songs at a time. That being said, being at the front of the stage seems akin to him actually getting to know you as he'll sing to you directly and physically interact with you for most of the concert's duration (he actually held my hand twice). His front row audience is very much a part of the performance as much as the actual band. It's almost embarrassing how hard it is for me to contain my fanboy-ism, but it was without question the best concert I've ever been to and much more interactive than any hardcore punk show I've attended (at a seated venue, no less).

As a fan of pretty much every era of his music, he puts together an amazing setlist expansive of his entire career. My only complaint in this area would've been that they didn't play "We Know Who U R", but made up for it with "Mermaid" (my personal favorite from the latest record).

Also; Mark fucking Lanegan.

orestes
07-09-2014, 09:33 PM
^ ^Haha, yes! When the show started, we were seven rows back, dead center of the stage. It wasn't too long before Nick asked the people near the front to remove their seats (the show was sold as reserved seating) so he could get closer to the audience. Next thing you know, people were politely folding their chairs and passing back to the person behind them. We managed to be two heads back from the stage the rest of the show.

Dude is like a caged tiger on stage.

Also, Warren fucking Ellis!

richardp
07-10-2014, 02:53 PM
Yes indeed. This was orestes' and I's view. An absolutely amazing one at that. I had no idea he was looking right at me when I took this picture and kinda lost my breath a bit after the show once I discovered this.

http://photos-h.ak.instagram.com/hphotos-ak-xap1/10414059_1522685651285703_274709667_n.jpg

Frozen Beach
07-14-2014, 11:58 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ap0_y5EGttk
I can't wait to see this.

richardp
07-15-2014, 02:30 AM
We showed that a few weeks back at the movie theater I work at and the crowd reaction (attended by all die hard Nick Cave fans) was split pretty down the middle. Had a couple of people who walked out after half an hour wanting a refund, another guy who's a huge fan hated it claiming it "demystifies everything cool about Nick Cave". Still haven't gotten a chance to watch it myself, but I found it surprising that people weren't walking out of the theater head over heels for it.

The Doctor
07-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Just wanted to share the excitement of my Nick Cave weekend!

Saturday I'm seeing him perform live in Austin.
Sunday I'm seeing the documentary 20,000 Days on Earth
Sunday, right after the doc I'm headed to see his Austin City Limits taping! My friend won tickets to the drawing and is taking me. This is the same friend who also won for NIN's ACL taping and took me to that too.

I feel incredibly lucky/fortunate right now.

Kid Charlemagne
07-17-2014, 01:55 PM
Bought a scalper ticket for Saturday's show under face value and ended up winning the draw for the taping on Sunday. I never thought I'd b able to see them live in high school, and now I'll be seeing them four times in the span of a year.

richardp
07-18-2014, 12:35 AM
Bought a scalper ticket for Saturday's show under face value and ended up winning the draw for the taping on Sunday. I never thought I'd b able to see them live in high school, and now I'll be seeing them four times in the span of a year.

Thats un fuckin real, man. I don't think I'd ever be able to comprehend seeing Nick Cave four times.

frankie teardrop
07-18-2014, 03:19 PM
i'm at four shows myself (total, dating back to 2003)... i wish i could go to the prospect park show next saturday but we're out of town. at least the setlist on this leg is nearly identical to last year's shows at beacon...

The Doctor
07-21-2014, 08:19 AM
I've returned from my Nick Cave weekend, and man, what a weekend!

Saturday night's show was INCREDIBLE. He was so energized and on that it was ridiculous. Lots of fantastic crowd interaction and a set with enough variation from last year's Dallas show to make it exciting. I especially loved hearing "West Country Girl," "The Ship Song," and "Do You Love Me." The majority of the time I just felt in awe of his presence and the band's performance. It was a healthy 19 song set: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds/2014/the-moody-theater-austin-tx-bc119b2.html

20,000 Days on Earth is a beautiful, non-traditional doc. I love the way the stories flowed, and that it didn't flow in a boring, linear timeline of his life, more like how his every day life brings up memories of significant moments in his life. And of course the great footage of recording 'Push the Sky Away.' I recommend this film to everyone, even people who aren't huge fans, because you probably will be by the time it's through.

The ACL taping was weird. A lot of the crowd on the floor seemed really weird/noncomittal/lacking energy and there were some obnoxious people near the stage that Nick Cave almost seemed to go out of his way to avoid. Like this big bro-looking dude who shouted at a few inappropriate times. Cave is a performer that feeds off the crowd's energy. If it's a bad/apathetic crowd, then it seems like the performance is a little less. The top balcony area had many empty seats, or people who got the tix for free and could care less, leaving halfway through, and even some people who left during all the swearing in "Stagger Lee."

Cave even seemed annoyed at times. He said with a wry grin, "This song is called "Mermaids," and it won't be on the broadcast, because I use the word snatch." After the Warren's violin solo in "God Is In The House," the crowd erupted in an excessive amount of cheers, which made Cave just sit down in a chair and not continue the song and he pointed to Warren and said, "Warren Ellis everybody," and further cheers erupted. Once it died down he went back to the piano and continued the song. During "Stagger Lee," the camera got really close to him while he was trying to interact with the crowd and he actually shoved it away. He also on several occasions called people in the seats/balcony "lazy fuckers" and kept encouraging people to come down to the floor, to no avail.

They ended their regular set with "Push The Sky Away," which seems standard on this tour, and people were cheering for an encore, and at first instruments were being set up, then all of a sudden a guy came onstage making a slashing at his throat motion, saying "nope." And the houselights went up, leaving everyone a little confused, but we all shuffled out anyway. Here's the shortened setlist: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds/2014/the-moody-theater-austin-tx-4bc1138a.html I can't help but think he didn't come back for the encore because he wasn't feeling the crowd. After all, NIN played the ACL taping and still did a full, lengthy set.

Now, this isn't to say he didn't give a good performance. He still put TONS of energy into the show and the band was great too. Any Nick Cave show is still miles above the majority of other bands, but when you witness such a transcendental show like the one the previous night, it's hard not to notice when something's amiss, causing a great show instead of a stellar show.

@Kid-Charlemagne, how was your experience with these shows?

WorzelG
08-05-2014, 03:16 PM
Got a bit confused here

ManOfAtom
08-05-2014, 04:40 PM
Sean Bean just did an AMA with a pretty funny and short story about getting drunk with Nick Cave
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/2cp9ol/hello_its_sean_bean_a_legend_on_legends_ama/cjhq1yp

Erm... Nic Cage.

WorzelG
08-06-2014, 01:19 AM
Erm... Nic Cage.
I'd been reading a lot about Nick Cave and erm, well just saw the name as that,

Findus
08-06-2014, 02:12 AM
http://niccageaseveryone.blogspot.com/2010/01/nic-cage-as-nick-cave.html

eversonpoe
12-01-2014, 10:03 AM
new US pressings of pretty much every album on vinyl are coming out starting this month!

didn't see no more shall we part, nocturama, or lazarus as part of the reissues, for some reason.

i pre-ordered "the firstborn is dead", "your funeral, my trial...", "tender prey", "the good son", "henry's dream", "let love in", "murder ballads", and "the boatman's call", as well as the (unfortunately pricey) import of "abattoir blues/the lyre of orpheus". goodbye $225 >.<

i don't care as much for "from her to eternity" or "kicking against the pricks" but the collector in me will probably force me to get them eventually. i own all of the cd/dvd versions of all of the albums except the boatman's call.

Camille
12-01-2014, 10:55 AM
new US pressings of pretty much every album on vinyl are coming out starting this month!

didn't see no more shall we part, nocturama, or lazarus as part of the reissues, for some reason.

These seem to be available on his site. http://shop.nickcave.com/

eversonpoe
12-02-2014, 01:28 AM
These seem to be available on his site. http://shop.nickcave.com/

they're quite a bit more, though, and no free shipping. that's disappointing...

Camille
12-11-2014, 06:09 PM
Bought 20,000 Days on Earth dvd today, it's utterly compelling... a must for all Cave fans.

eversonpoe
12-16-2014, 10:18 PM
i ended up asking for "from her to eternity" and "kicking against the pricks" for x-mas, so hopefully someone will get them for me so my collection can be complete :p

in the meantime, "the firstborn is dead", "your funeral my trial", and "abattoir blues/the lyre of orpheus" have all arrived. all on nice, heavyweight vinyl (with download codes). can't wait to listen to them. :D

Camille
12-17-2014, 02:48 PM
I have most of the albums on vinyl from when they were originally released so I was a little reluctant to buy the re-releases, however, someone bought me the Abattoir Blues 180g and it sounds fucking epic. I may purchase a couple of others now.

eversonpoe
12-17-2014, 05:12 PM
I have most of the albums on vinyl from when they were originally released so I was a little reluctant to buy the re-releases, however, someone bought me the Abattoir Blues 180g and it sounds fucking epic. I may purchase a couple of others now.

lucky duck!

do we know for sure if these reissues are of the recently remastered audio that was on the cd/dvd releases? or are they the original masters and these are all just re-presses?

edit: google is my friend (http://www.mojo4music.com/16950/mick-harvey-oversees-vinyl-nick-cave-reissues/)

implanted_microchip
12-17-2014, 05:18 PM
Thanks to everyone here buying these early on and taking the risk, it's great to hear they came out right! Really looking forward to getting Your Funeral, My Trial, Tender Prey and No More Shall We Part.

Arcspiral
01-06-2015, 12:17 AM
So I really dig NC+TBS, but I just listened to the sdtk for The Assasination of Jesse James for the first time today and it fucking blew me away! What a jaw-dropping piece of work! Are the rest of his scores that amazing? Which other ones should I check out?

implanted_microchip
01-06-2015, 02:41 AM
So I really dig NC+TBS, but I just listened to the sdtk for The Assasination of Jesse James for the first time today and it fucking blew me away! What a jaw-dropping piece of work! Are the rest of his scores that amazing? Which other ones should I check out?
Personally I think that's his absolute best but I highly recommend The Road.

eversonpoe
01-06-2015, 08:06 AM

my favorite score is the proposition. the movie is incredible but a bit hard to watch at points, and the score is beautiful and haunting.

implanted_microchip
01-06-2015, 11:10 AM
my favorite score is the proposition. the movie is incredible but a bit hard to watch at points, and the score is beautiful and haunting.

Worth nothing that Cave wrote the screenplay for it as well. Absolutely incredible film, with a setting that's miserably underused in Westerns (Australia).

eversonpoe
01-06-2015, 02:40 PM
so my replacement for "your funeral, my trial" arrived, and (despite being opened to, i would assume, check to make sure both records were in it) once again came with two of the side C/D records. i have been on the phone with amazon customer service for about 15 minutes so far and i've been transferred twice.

edit: so, they issued me a refund ($19.99, the price it was when i pre-ordered) and told me to just ship back both copies while they "investigate." the problem is that, if i have to buy it again, i'll have to pay $24.99, which sucks.

implanted_microchip
01-21-2015, 03:18 PM
So I've got a question for anyone who might know the answer to.

I've got a CD copy of And No More Shall We Part. The catalog number is the same as the generic US release according to Discogs. But it's got a gold promo stamp on it. Any reason for this? Does that mean anything?

eversonpoe
01-21-2015, 03:52 PM
so my replacement for "your funeral, my trial" arrived, and (despite being opened to, i would assume, check to make sure both records were in it) once again came with two of the side C/D records. i have been on the phone with amazon customer service for about 15 minutes so far and i've been transferred twice.

edit: so, they issued me a refund ($19.99, the price it was when i pre-ordered) and told me to just ship back both copies while they "investigate." the problem is that, if i have to buy it again, i'll have to pay $24.99, which sucks.

cross-posted from the vinyl collectors thread:

so, i thought i had finally acquired a proper version of "your funeral...my trial" but it's fucked up AGAIN.

the first two, both from amazon, had two side c/d discs.
this one, which i got at my local record store, actually has a disc labeled side a/b, but it's still PRESSED with side c/d.

I JUST WANT A PROPER FUCKING COPY OF THIS RECORD, GOD DAMNIT!

orestes
02-20-2015, 11:12 PM
20,000 Days on Earth is available on Amazon Prime.

eversonpoe
02-23-2015, 08:08 AM
my vinyl reissues of "tender prey" and "let love in" arrived last week. haven't had a chance to listen to them yet, but hopefully they'll be without issues.

also, the response i got from the nick cave shop help was ridiculous after the (five-paragraph) eloquent and kind message i sent them regarding the messed up pressing of "your funeral...my trial"

Hello Maxwell

Thank you for your email, this is not a situation we are familiar with here, so if you would like to place an order through our store please feel free to do so.

Kindest regards

Sandbag

Michalrose
04-10-2015, 05:00 AM
I'm going to Nick Cave's book reading tonight in NYC tonight. Anyone else attending? Should be an interesting evening!

uroboros
05-03-2015, 07:14 PM
Nick is offering two shows from this tour for download or CD! Stellar setlists from this tour so far.

Purchase here:
http://abbeyroadlive.sandbag.uk.com/Store/DisplayArtist.html?CatID=5745&ViewTourID=5746

Setlist for the first night:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/nick-cave/2015/royal-albert-hall-london-england-43c83353.html

eversonpoe
05-04-2015, 07:55 AM
finally found someone willing to open and listen to a copy of "your funeral...my trial" before selling it to me to make sure it actually had all four proper sides, and it did! so it should be arriving this week, and i'll be able to have a complete collection of all the vinyl reissues (once the rest are released).

Frozen Beach
07-15-2015, 08:08 AM
http://www.vmusic.com.au/news/nick-caves-15-year-old-son-killed-in-cliff-fall.aspx (http://www.vmusic.com.au/news/nick-caves-15-year-old-son-killed-in-cliff-fall.aspx)

Holy fuck, this is awful. Hope his family are getting the support they need.

Reznor2112
07-15-2015, 08:54 AM
Terrible news. So sad.

Twiggy
07-15-2015, 09:07 AM
This is really sad news!!!

imail724
06-02-2016, 08:47 AM
New album and feature film coming in September

eversonpoe
06-02-2016, 10:33 AM
New album and feature film coming in September

hope it's better than Push The Sky Away. i literally listened to it once and NOTHING grabbed me at all. i found the live versions of the songs just as uninspiring when i saw them. i didn't love dig lazarus dig, but it was at least fun. i miss mick harvey.

kdrcraig
06-02-2016, 11:15 AM
I just got into these guys this year, 30 years late to the party. It was incredible to have 15 albums to binge through, I absolutely love them. I like Push the Sky Away just fine but it's way down at the bottom of the list. Really pumped for a new album and to get to see them live. That feature film sounds awesome too.

october_midnight
06-02-2016, 11:31 AM
hope it's better than Push The Sky Away. i literally listened to it once and NOTHING grabbed me at all. i found the live versions of the songs just as uninspiring when i saw them. i didn't love dig lazarus dig, but it was at least fun. i miss mick harvey.

Interestingly, the very first track 'We No Who U R' hit me upon the first listen. It's so good haha...

implanted_microchip
06-02-2016, 11:36 AM
Andrew Dominik, director of Assassination of Jesse James and Killing Them Softly is directing "One More Time With Feeling" meant as a companion to the new album Skeleton Tree

http://theplaylist.net/andrew-dominik-directed-nick-cave-bad-seeds-movie-one-time-feeling-sets-fall-debut-20160602/

henryeatscereal
06-02-2016, 02:09 PM
Weird album cover...

http://static.spin.com/files/2016/06/skeletonkey-640x640.jpg

...but it's irrelevant since it's all about the music

implanted_microchip
06-02-2016, 02:16 PM
Part of me hopes we get some extremely weird electronic Nick Cave album, huh. I just hope that I'll be ready to hear this album when it does come out, because if it's at all what I'm expecting after his son's passing, it'll be a really tough listen emotionally.

I feel like I'm in a weird spot as a fan since Push the Sky Away's my favorite Bad Seeds album along with And No More Shall We Part.

Michalrose
06-03-2016, 05:06 AM
Part of me hopes we get some extremely weird electronic Nick Cave album, huh. I just hope that I'll be ready to hear this album when it does come out, because if it's at all what I'm expecting after his son's passing, it'll be a really tough listen emotionally.

I feel like I'm in a weird spot as a fan since Push the Sky Away's my favorite Bad Seeds album along with And No More Shall We Part.

i like and/or love all of NCTBS albums. I adore No More Shall We Part. I also really like Push the Sky Away- Higgs Boson Blues gives me the chills, it's that fabulous. Whatever they put it out it will be good. I have some hesitation about listening to the new material because of the backdrop of the terrible loss of Cave's son. It will no doubt be a dark album.

henryeatscereal
06-03-2016, 10:03 AM
An electronic Nick Cave album would be an interesting experiment, i think it would sound like the arrangements Warren Ellis did for "We call upon the author".

The album cover reminds me to The Police's "Ghost in the Machine".

imail724
06-03-2016, 10:51 AM
Weird album cover...

http://static.spin.com/files/2016/06/skeletonkey-640x640.jpg

...but it's irrelevant since it's all about the music

Looks familiar

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4106WEZZZHL.jpg

ChipRock
08-05-2016, 08:31 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svru1jNLIK8

Just over a month to go until One More Time With Feeling, and of course the new record. I'm guessing at least parts of the film are going to be tough, but at the same time I'm glad that I will be seeing it.

Just in the lead up to all this I am listening to a lot of Nick at the moment, and it's interesting that Push The Sky Away is really growing on me. At first I thought it was good, but nothing really special, but especially after hearing it live (I missed it at the time, but there's a full show on YouTube from the Fonda) I'm now really taken with it. So that and Dig!!! have been on a lot, alongside Tender Prey and Your Funeral... My Trial for some old stuff.

It seems the idea is that the film will be the only chance to hear anything new before the album comes out, so no single for the time being. I'm half expecting there not to be a tour, but I do hope there will be.

kdrcraig
08-05-2016, 08:34 AM
I really wish I could make it to one of the screenings of One More Time With Feeling but all the ones in Philly start so late and it's during the week. Hopefully they do a blu-ray release, which I imagine they are. Either way, real pumped for the new album

Camille
08-17-2016, 10:13 AM
Album track list revealed http://www.nickcave.com/news/skeleton-tree-tracklist-revealed/

Frozen Beach
09-01-2016, 09:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iGxoJnygW8

triplesun
09-02-2016, 06:01 AM
I really wish I could make it to one of the screenings of One More Time With Feeling but all the ones in Philly start so late and it's during the week. Hopefully they do a blu-ray release, which I imagine they are. Either way, real pumped for the new album
There's a 7:45 p.m. screening at the ArtsQuest Center in Bethlehem.

http://www.steelstacks.org/event/3485/nick-cave-one-more-time-with-feeling/

kdrcraig
09-02-2016, 07:27 AM
There's a 7:45 p.m. screening at the ArtsQuest Center in Bethlehem.

http://www.steelstacks.org/event/3485/nick-cave-one-more-time-with-feeling/

Thanks I didn't see that one. That's an hour from my place still, but it's a possibility.

New song is great.

eversonpoe
09-02-2016, 07:45 AM
the new song is better than ALL of push the sky away (which i really don't care for at all). i was worried this new album was going to be a rehash of that sound and i'm glad i was wrong. still not pre-ordering it until i can hear the whole thing, though.

henryeatscereal
09-02-2016, 09:35 AM
the new song is better than ALL of push the sky away (which i really don't care for at all). i was worried this new album was going to be a rehash of that sound and i'm glad i was wrong. still not pre-ordering it until i can hear the whole thing, though.
I agree with your posts and musical taste most of the time, but i disagree: To me this song sounds exactly like "Push the Sky Away".
I don't now if the whole album will have this sound, but at least "Jesus Alone" sounds like an outake from the last album...

eversonpoe
09-02-2016, 03:56 PM
I agree with your posts and musical taste most of the time, but i disagree: To me this song sounds exactly like "Push the Sky Away".
I don't now if the whole album will have this sound, but at least "Jesus Alone" sounds like an outake from the last album...

i guess to me it sounds like a better version of anything off push the sky away haha.

henryeatscereal
09-02-2016, 05:29 PM
i guess to me it sounds like a better version of anything off push the sky away haha.
Fair enough, lol

The track has grown on me a lot ...such powerful lyrics!
It also reminds me to "We real cool"

Frozen Beach
09-07-2016, 07:53 PM
album has leaked, haven't listened to it.

ChipRock
09-08-2016, 06:04 AM
Yeah, initially I'd say that Jesus Alone doesn't sound too far removed from Push The Sky Away. I've only listened once though - I'm saving proper listens until after I've seen the film. Hoping the Skeleton Tree CD I ordered will arrive on Friday, but if not I may look out for that leak.
It makes a lot of sense for Nick to produce this film rather than deal with interviews for this record, but by making it quite a big thing I wonder how hard it will be to separate the album from the film. I've read a couple of reviews and they suggest it's quite a powerful experience. Maybe it's inevitable that the new album would be nothing too adventurous, arrangements wise, when you consider the circumstances of its recording. It is of course early days yet. Very much looking forward to this evening. I understand there will be a broadcast on BBC radio, from midnight:
https://twitter.com/BBC6Music/status/773774141539385344

henryeatscereal
09-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Just downloaded, but will listen to it tonight to give the proper attention to it...

implanted_microchip
09-08-2016, 10:39 AM
Definitely excited for whenever I get to see the new film. I found Days On Earth to be a great watch and Push the Sky Away is in my top 5 Cave records (because I'm strange, apparently).

Findus
09-09-2016, 01:37 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAMZYpZi_M4

henryeatscereal
09-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Beautiful and emotional album, in a way it's like a modern-era "Boatman's call" (not that the album is dated), but also it's an entire different thing like "Push the Sky Away" with another twist.
It's obviously very personal and i think all the album speaks about his son one way or another; "Girl in Amber", "I need you" and the title track are beautiful songs, fuckin' Cave almost made me cry...

The Doctor
09-09-2016, 08:27 AM
Happy new Nick Cave album release day. I left a friend's after midnight last night and was able to listen to much of the album on the drive home. Wow. Very ambient and raw. It's weird that the vocals don't always sound organic. Like you can hear a hiss on them over the music, like they were sort of just slapped on top. I don't think I've heard an album from him this unpolished. Well, not counting his super early stuff anyway. I'm digging it, but much of it feels like it's lacking the "catchy" feeling that much of Push the Sky Away had.

I also saw One More Time with Feeling last night. Wow. That's a very emotionally heavy movie. Dense. At times it feels like it gets lost in the minutiae, but then you realize that's where you see Cave at his most raw and honest. It's strange to see a man that's been so firm about who he is and what he does for so long in a complete mental mess at times. This tragedy has taken a toll on him and you can tell in the film.

On a lighter note, here's a pic of when I met Nick Cave at SxSW a few years back. I kinda hate putting pictures of myself on the Internet, but I figure everyone will be so fixed on Cave that maybe it'll be ok:
http://i.imgur.com/f4nU0QSm.jpg

henryeatscereal
09-09-2016, 08:30 AM
Need to watch "One More Time with Feeling" ASAP!
I agree that it's a very raw album, so much feeling...

Michalrose
09-09-2016, 11:57 AM
A good film sticks with you the next day and beyond. I woke up with One More Time with Feeling very much in my head. It is a heavy experience, almost unbearable at times. Nick Cave songs have brought me to tears many times and the this film and songs within are no exception. A must see, a must listen.

xmd 5a
09-09-2016, 03:47 PM
Skeleton Tree is so great. May turn out to be my favourite Bad Seeds album.

frankie teardrop
09-09-2016, 11:30 PM
my son turns 1 in a week, and the idea of losing him really hit home after watching one more with feeling last night. i had listened to the album on the way in to work that morning, but didn't really hear it until sitting in the dark in the theater. the movie moved me to tears at points, and listening to the album today only prolonged the feeling. 'girl in amber' is my favorite.

i agree that the album is very raw and unpolished, but the movie speaks to that, at least from a lyrical point of view. the album feels like a hymnal mass, a funeral of sorts, very repetitive with each line a proclamation of loss. very psalm like, hosannahs, etc. on a related note, i absolutely LOVE the unexpected female vocal on the penultimate track.

xmd 5a
09-10-2016, 05:04 AM
my son turns 1 in a week, and the idea of losing him really hit home after watching one more with feeling last night. i had listened to the album on the way in to work that morning, but didn't really hear it until sitting in the dark in the theater. the movie moved me to tears at points, and listening to the album today only prolonged the feeling. 'girl in amber' is my favorite.

i agree that the album is very raw and unpolished, but the movie speaks to that, at least from a lyrical point of view. the album feels like a hymnal mass, a funeral of sorts, very repetitive with each line a proclamation of loss. very psalm like, hosannahs, etc. on a related note, i absolutely LOVE the unexpected female vocal on the penultimate track.

My feelings are almost identical for similar reasons. "Girl in Amber" is definitely a highlight for me, along with "Magneto", "Anthrocene" and "I Need You".

Hoping the film gets some kind of physical release in the future.

implanted_microchip
09-13-2016, 02:50 PM
This is an incredible LP.

Not wanting to say anything too absolute in how I feel about it yet -- a lot of people are saying "it's his best" and I try to avoid saying that stuff when something's new. But it's definitely up there. Some of his most powerful lyrics, finest vocals and the music is just as eerie, haunting and enthralling as anything they've ever crafted in the studio before. Jesus Alone, Girl in Amber, Skeleton Tree -- all the songs here are great. I'm really interested in if they're going to be doing any touring and taking this stuff out live.

Also really wanting to see the movie, frustrated I'll have to wait for a good while before I get to, but it's great knowing everyone seems to positive about it. I loved the last one, and people seemed less unanimous about it, so it should be right up my alley.

Beautiful stuff, glad to have it. There's been a lot of heartbreaking music this year and this is as good as any that's come out. It's basically Push the Sky Away with electronic aspects woven in, and I can't think of anything I could really complain about when it comes to that considering my sensibilities. Pretty close to flawless to me so far.

Piko
09-13-2016, 05:20 PM
I've only heard it once. I was kind of a rough listen. Very depressing. Not saying it's a bad album though. With so many albums out at the same time, it's hard to really get into it, atm.

The Doctor
09-29-2016, 01:23 PM
Now that the new album has been out a while, can we do the time-honored tradition of personal album ranking? Here's mine:

Henry’s Dream
Boatman’s Call
Murder Ballads
Let Love In
Push The Sky Away
Your Funeral…My Trial
Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus
The Good Son
Skeleton Tree
Tender Prey
Dig!! Lazarus Dig!
No More Shall We Part
From Her to Eternity
Kicking Against the Pricks
The Firstborn is Dead
Nocturama

r_z
09-29-2016, 04:58 PM
1. Dig!!!
2. Push The Sky Away
3. Abattoir Blues / Lyre
4. Skeleton Tree
5. Let Love In
6. Murder Ballads
7. Boatman's Call
8. Nocturama
9. No More Shall We Part

xmd 5a
09-30-2016, 03:18 AM
1. Skeleton Tree
2. Your Funeral... My Trial
3. No More Shall We Part
4. From Her to Eternity
5. Dig!!!
6. Push the Sky Away
7. Tender Prey
8. Abbattoir Blues / Lyre
9. The Firstborn is Dead
10. Boatman's Call

frankie teardrop
09-30-2016, 07:46 AM
1. no more shall we part
2. your funeral, my trial
3. let love in
4. skeleton tree
5. boatman's call
6. tender prey
7. from her to eternity
8. push the sky away
9. henry's dream
10. the first born is dead
11. abbattoir blues/lyre of orpheus
12. murder ballads
13. the good son
14. kicking against the pricks
15. dig lazarus dig
16. nocturama

henryeatscereal
09-30-2016, 09:05 AM
Oh man, this is going to be hard...

1. Henry's Dream
2. Dig Lazarus Dig!!!
3. Kicking Against the Pricks
4. The Boatman's Call
5. Let Love In
6. Tender Prey
7. Push the Sky Away
8. Skeleton Tree
9. No more shall we Part
10. The Good Son
11. Abbattoir blues/Lyre of orpheus
12. Murder Ballads
13. Your funeral, My trial
14. From her to eternity
15. The first born is dead
16. Nocturama

Sebek
09-30-2016, 10:17 PM
Question for those who've seen Once More With Feeling. Midway through the film he recites a poem with lines like "she's got legs like elevators" -- is there any info about that anywhere? I don't recall ever hearing it before, but I really enjoyed it.

Piko
09-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Haven't really digested Skeleton Tree yet. So, I'm not ranking it.

Tender Prey
Let Love In
Murder Ballads
Henry's Dream
No More Shall We Part
Abbattoir blues/lyre
Dig Lazarus Dig
The Boatman's Call
Push the Sky Away
Nocturama
From Her to Eternity
Kicking Against the Pricks
The Good Son
Your funeral, my trial
The Firstborn is Dead

If we're including Grinderman, the first album would be above No More Shall We Part. Second album below Dig.

Michalrose
10-01-2016, 08:09 AM
No More Shall We Part
Let Love In
Abattoir blues/lyre
The Boatman's call
Henry's Dream
Dig!!!
From Her To Eternity
Push the Sky Away
The Good Son
I'm not sure where Skeleton Tree fits in yet but most likely it will be amongst the top few.

october_midnight
10-26-2016, 11:41 AM
Woohoo!!!!

Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 2017 Tour Dates:
01/13 – Hobart, AU @ Derwent Entertainment Centre
01/15 – Ballarat, AU @ North Gardens
01/17 – Wellington, NZ @ TSB Bank Arena
01/18 – Auckland, NZ @ Vector Arena
01/20 – Sydney, AU @ ICC Sydney Theatre
01/21 – Sydney, AU @ ICC Sydney Theatre
01/22 – Newcastle, AU @ Newcastle Entertainment Centre
01/25 – Brisbane, AU @ Riverstage
01/27 – Melbourne, AU @ Sydney Myer Music Bowl
01/28 – Melbourne, AU @ Sydney Myer Music Bowl
01/29 – Adelaide, AU @ Adelaide Entertainment Centre
01/31 – Perth, AU @ Perth Arena
05/26 – Brooklyn, NY @ Kings Theatre
05/29 – Montreal, Quebec @ Metropolis
05/31 – Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
06/01 – Toronto, ON @ Massey Hall
06/03 – Detroit, MI @ Masonic Temple Theatre
06/05 – Philadelphia, PA @ Electric Factory
06/07 – Asheville, NC @ Thomas Wolfe Auditorium
06/08 – Pittsburgh, PA @ The Warhol at Carnegie Music Hall
06/10 – Boston, MA @ Boch Center Wang Theatre
06/13 – New York, NY @ Beacon Theatre
06/14 – New York, NY @ Beacon Theatre
06/16 – Chicago, IL @ Auditorium Theatre
06/18 – Denver, CO @ Paramount Theatre
06/19 – Salt Lake City, UT @ Kingsbury Hall
06/21 – Portland, OR @ Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall
06/22 – Vancouver, BC @ Queen Elizabeth Theatre
06/24 – Berkeley, CA @ Greek Theatre
06/26 – San Diego, CA @ Civic Theatre
06/29 – Los Angeles, CA @ Greek Theatre

ChipRock
10-27-2016, 03:09 AM
Well this is quite exciting. I've never seen Nick live, and I was half expecting him to quit touring to be honest. Fingers very much crossed then for European dates. I'd hope for Brixton, but Hammersmith would be acceptable. *drums fingers on desk / refreshes Twitter*

Shadaloo
10-27-2016, 11:54 AM
Christ I hope I can get tix tomorrow morning. The guy typically sells out Montreal within moments, experience has taught me.

Edit: Yoink! After 2 missed occasions, this time I'm finally getting to see him. :)

implanted_microchip
10-28-2016, 01:48 PM
Any chance I should hold out for a string of dates closer to the South being announced, or just say fuck it and start planning a trip next summer? I remember the Sky tour had a stretch of shows closer to FL but still not in it, and I'm wondering if I should expect a NOLA or ATL date later on or not.

ChipRock
01-17-2017, 06:46 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_mwTAJJ19c

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-ballarat-20170115-gtrxtf.html

Good to see Nick back on stage. Still waiting on European dates. There must be someone here from down-under seeing him this month? I'd be interested to hear more about how the shows are going down.

ChipRock
03-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Just announced: 'Lovely Creatures - The Best of Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds' (http://www.nickcave.com/music/nickcaveandthebadseeds/lovely-creatures-best-nick-cave-bad-seeds/)
Looks pretty nice. The deluxe edition is quite a set, although I might be inclined to stick with the 3 x CD and DVD collection, just because that looks decent enough on its own and is a bit more affordable.
Looks like there's nothing new music wise, but the regular CD edition makes a good collection in its own right, and no doubt will make a good 'Introduction to'.

Now that I know I'll be seeing them live later in the year I'm wondering how this release will effect the upcoming tours. I'm not sure how much of the 'down under' tour focused on Skeleton Tree (avoiding potential spoilers), but I wonder if it was decided to shift the focus away from that and One More Time With Feeling (which is available to buy soon on, I believe) and we'll see more of a Greatest Hits tour from here on. Either way, I won't complain.

frankie teardrop
03-09-2017, 10:53 PM
oh, actually if this tour becomes a greatest hits tour by the time it hits the states next month, i'm going to be sorely disappointed. i've seen nick four times now- the last thing i need is a setlist heavily picked from the same stuff he usually plays. i'd love to see skeleton tree material as a huge centerpiece.

eversonpoe
03-10-2017, 08:49 AM
i still can't get into skeleton tree. i've tried three times, listened all the way through, and it just doesn't do anything for me. i feel the same way about "push the sky away" so i guess i just kind of lost interest in the direction the band has taken...

ChipRock
03-31-2017, 04:10 AM
I'm still not sure if I want to watch One More Time With Feeling again, as good as it was, but it's available to buy today, and there's a new clip up for the occasion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWjZ85m1BKg

eversonpoe
03-31-2017, 08:19 AM
still can't get into skeleton tree. idunno. i feel like Me & That Man are doing what i wish nick cave was still doing, so i'm gonna keep spinning that album and older bad seeds stuff.

Michalrose
03-31-2017, 07:46 PM
Thanks for posting. I saw the film last September and got chills listening to the Steve McQueen segment. Got them again revisiting via this clip. Yeah someone's gotta sing the stars and rain and who better than Nick Cave?

ChipRock
05-05-2017, 03:13 AM
First up - there's a brief interview in The Guardian this week:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/may/04/nick-cave-death-son-struggle-write-tragedy

I like that he's just got into The Smiths. Interesting to confirm that Steve McQueen comes from writing after Arthur's sad death, in case there was any doubt.

Then of course we have the release of Lovely Creatures today. I was planning on picking up the 3 x CD / DVD version, but I feel very slightly annoyed that the 2 x CD set is a more interesting set - it largely includes single versions of the songs, including an edit of Jubilee Street, which I don't think has been on CD before (and that of course is 'not available separately' https://www.7digital.com/artist/nick-cave-the-bad-seeds/release/lovely-creatures-the-best-of-nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-1984-2014-explicit-6401596).

henryeatscereal
05-05-2017, 08:49 AM
I was going to pick the 3CD version for "Lovely creatures", too, i had no idea the 2CD set had different versions, i wanted the book that comes with the deluxe version mostly, I can't believe they are making me choose between an inferior set...

Shadaloo
05-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Well, I just saw Nick and the guys for the first time in my life and I think I just had me a religious experience. Holy shit, what charisma the guy's got. And my SO's small cuteness nabbed us a setlist sheet. :D

Michalrose
05-30-2017, 07:54 PM
I see him in Pittsburgh June 8. So excited!

kdrcraig
06-06-2017, 08:32 AM
Saw them in Philly last night. Other than it being unbearably hot in the venue it was great, the Electric Factory sucks. I swore I'd never go there again but I couldn't pass up going to this. Saw at least 6 people get carried out of the front passed out from the heat, they didn't even have the AC on or turn on any of the fans pointing at the floor.

Setlist was really good. I wasn't sure how the new songs would go over live but they worked really well. We ended up getting an extra song in the encore cause some guy down front had been to every show and Nick let him request a song. That was pretty cool. Another band checked off the bucket list.

ChipRock
09-25-2017, 09:49 AM
Saw them last night at Bournemouth, the first night of the European leg. This was my first ever show so it was very exciting. I knew they'd be good, from years of watching live videos, but come on... No huge surprises in the setlist, although I don't think I've heard of them doing Weeping Song for a while, so that was very cool. The band were all spot on, and Cave sounded really bloody good. The main surprise for me was how energetic he is. Of course we've seen him leaping around and getting up close with the audience, but seeing a full show in the flesh, and reasonably close to the stage, was way more lively than I'd expected. The almost constant off-mic shouting, the spitting, the efforts to keep the crowd involved and riled up... I don't like to judge anyone on their age, but damn he works hard and keeps fit for someone of a certain age (and Happy Birthday was sung by the audience). Of course most of the crowd were around my age, give or take (not that young), so it didn't get too rowdy, but I felt exhausted just watching Nick do his thing. Legendary.

frankie teardrop
09-25-2017, 11:43 AM
five nick cave shows down, including this tour. to be honest, the only time i've been disappointed is this time around. i LOVED hearing the new material from skeleton tree. it was gorgeous and well handled and cathartic. however, the experience was deeply cheapened by most of the other tracks, most notably 'stagger lee.'

i understand he has to play some of the classics, but perhaps 'stagger lee' was a poor choice to play against material about the loss of his son. really rubbed me the wrong way, even though i like the tune and have enjoyed hearing it live in the past. i would much prefer if the band did a smaller, more intimate tour and focused on the new material and similarly thematic material good son, no more shall we part, boatman's call) etc.

oh well, still love the guy.

GibbonBlack
09-25-2017, 03:09 PM
Wow!

I was right front and center at Bournemouth. Absolutely amazing! Nick grabbed my hand and used me as support when he was leaning into the crowd at one point (he's heavy to hold with your left hand) and, of course, everyone then rushed in to touch and they ripped off my new tattoo scab, so that's all faded :( But at least I can blame it on Nick Cave now if anyone asks!

I went into the gig only knowing a few songs of his, a friend had a spare ticket so I tagged along. But I left absolutely in love. The guy was like a preacher up there and had everyone, including me, someone who didn't really know his music, eating out of the palm of his hands and that ain't easy!

https://image.ibb.co/eYsGDk/Nick.jpg

ChipRock
10-09-2017, 03:12 AM
I've really enjoyed basically everybody in the world loving Nick Cave now. The UK shows went down a storm it seems.
I consider myself a bit of a latecomer as it was only around Abbatoir Blues that I got into his work (somehow managing to avoid him throughout the nineties, even with the Kylie collaboration) - Robin Ince wrote about Nick Cave replacing Morrissey in his affections, and the same applies to me I think. https://robinince.wordpress.com/2017/09/29/and-who-shall-be-healed-nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-on-ice/
So anyway, after seeing him the first time, I'm now getting wound up about seeing him again as soon as possible. Then, at the weekend, I noticed this Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ8A4nHF0JL/ - I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but they write 'See you again next year Netherlands...' followed by #badseeds18 - So it does look like there will be further tour dates in 2018. Just hope there is a return to the UK, and all being well this will involve a smaller venue on the south coast, as per Bournemouth. I'll also be looking out for any evidence of any shows in this current run being filmed professionally. If anybody here knows anything, don't forget to post it.

eversonpoe
10-09-2017, 09:07 AM
I've really enjoyed basically everybody in the world loving Nick Cave now. The UK shows went down a storm it seems.
I consider myself a bit of a latecomer as it was only around Abbatoir Blues that I got into his work (somehow managing to avoid him throughout the nineties, even with the Kylie collaboration) - Robin Ince wrote about Nick Cave replacing Morrissey in his affections, and the same applies to me I think. https://robinince.wordpress.com/2017/09/29/and-who-shall-be-healed-nick-cave-and-the-bad-seeds-on-ice/
So anyway, after seeing him the first time, I'm now getting wound up about seeing him again as soon as possible. Then, at the weekend, I noticed this Instagram post: https://www.instagram.com/p/BZ8A4nHF0JL/ - I've not seen it mentioned anywhere else, but they write 'See you again next year Netherlands...' followed by #badseeds18 - So it does look like there will be further tour dates in 2018. Just hope there is a return to the UK, and all being well this will involve a smaller venue on the south coast, as per Bournemouth. I'll also be looking out for any evidence of any shows in this current run being filmed professionally. If anybody here knows anything, don't forget to post it.

have you listened to / watched the live abbatoir blues tour? it's AMAZING.

kdrcraig
10-09-2017, 10:04 AM
have you listened to / watched the live abbatoir blues tour? it's AMAZING.

Yeah that is absolutely incredible