PDA

View Full Version : Mobile NIN games

bgalbraith
08-23-2013, 12:28 AM
Starting a new thread so as to stop hijacking the Everything song discussion thread.

Thanks to everyone who offered ideas and assistance, I may take you up on them :)

This first pass will be on "Surviving Everything" as in Trent has to survive performing the song while keeping the haters at bay. Should this work out well, I can try out the other ideas and concepts you've been suggesting.

Here's a cheesy animated gif showing that I've now got touch support (tap to make Trent move and fire a cd) and rudimentary collision detection working. http://i.imgur.com/ySip5sf.gif

laz001
08-23-2013, 01:41 AM
Ideas from other posters from other pages:

Game could be like scrolling beat-em-up like Streets of Rage/Double Dragon, but you defend the stage as enemies come to you
Game could have a plot, and stages, that follow Trent's career
A range of different fans or non-fans for Trent to defeat, each with their owns abilities/attacks
A range of different attacks and weapons supplied by the crew/band-mates usable by Trent, including stage equipment / cornstarch.
Bosses, like John Malm Jr, Fred durst, Manson (after betraying you?), C-Love, AxlRose
Allies (or Two-Player!!) like A-Ross, Dre, band-members, Manson
Power ups like beserker mode.
Different era Trents as you progress, different albums, different costumes, different sets

sheepdean
08-23-2013, 02:42 AM
I don't think you can even begin to comprehend how fast Columbia would shut that down if you used the actual song

Furie_Zacharias
08-23-2013, 03:00 AM
A range of different attacks and weapons usable by Trent, including stage equipment.

Corn starch to stun enemies!

Tiz
08-23-2013, 04:30 AM
- Bosses:
Courtney Love
Meathead
Axl Rose
Marilyn Manson

- Corn starch power-ups.

- Allies:
Dr. Dre
Robin Finck
Marilyn Manson (betrays you a la Alec Travelyn then becomes a boss)
Atticus Ross

bgalbraith
08-23-2013, 06:43 AM
I don't think you can even begin to comprehend how fast Columbia would shut that down if you used the actual song

Indeed. I'm well aware of the copyright issues. At worst, this is just a fun demo. To actually get something like this approved on the Apple App Store would require doing, say, a chip tune cover or similar.

martin_b
08-23-2013, 07:11 AM

So, at the beginning of the PHM era (episode/stage), TR should fight with a tons of garbage (because of this role in the studio while he was recording the PHM album), ;-)
Then during the Broken stage, TR should fight with Gottlieb's minions, and at the end with Steve-the-boss (after killing the Steve, TR may say something like "F**K YOU STEVE"), etc.

Well, I think that some of the bad guys (AxlRose or John Malm) could kidnap Mariqueen, so there will be a change in the main plot and now the main focus is to rescue Mariqueen. ;-)

Fadeout54321
08-23-2013, 07:22 AM
You gotta put the Reznor's in their from Mario since they were after all named after Trent!

OSLIN
08-23-2013, 07:24 AM
Could we have a bonus stage where you try and hit Jerome Dillon in the head with a mic stand?

theyellowdart
08-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Parody is protected under American Law. So if careful with the Music... :-).

dlb
08-23-2013, 07:49 AM
A chiptune cover of everything (and other songs if this gets extended) would fit the game even better than the actual song! Would be cool if anyone is up to the task!

An idea for berserker mode/power up: use the "something's gonna get BROKENNNN!!!!" line
Another power up/use-once weapon: throwable Aaron North (a la Meathead Perspective)

KarenLeslie
08-23-2013, 08:25 AM

Game could be like scrolling beat-em-up like Streets of Rage/Double Dragon, but you defend the stage as enemies come to you
A range of different fans or non-fans for Trent to defeat, each with their owns abilities/attacks
A range of different attacks and weapons supplied by the crew/band-mates usable by Trent, including stage equipment / cornstarch.
Bosses, like John Malm Jr, Fred durst, Manson (after betraying you?), C-Love, AxlRose
Allies (or Two-Player!!) like A-Ross, Dre, band-members, Manson
Power ups like beserker mode.
Different era Trents as you progress, different albums, different costumes, different sets

This sounds awesome, but it would take a huge collaborative effort to realistically pull off something like this. Technically, one person could do it, but it's hard to justify putting ALL that effort into a fan game when you could be making your own game.

Kyle
08-23-2013, 12:02 PM
As you move from The Fragile era to With Teeth era, Trent should become bigger, stronger and able to take more damage. Perhaps some increasing size as it goes on through that era. Fragile and prior era Trent can only really defeat enemies by throwing microphone stands, guitars and synths at them. By the time you get to Hesitation Marks, he can pummel them with his fists.

bgalbraith
08-23-2013, 12:27 PM
This sounds awesome, but it would take a huge collaborative effort to realistically pull off something like this. Technically, one person could do it, but it's hard to justify putting ALL that effort into a fan game when you could be making your own game.

You are correct in that doing most of this well would require more than just a single person, and at that point, why not do something that is more than just a fan project. For me, the motivation comes almost entirely from the fact that it *is* a fan project -- it's about doing something I enjoy to make something that can be shared with the community, I get valuable experience in the process, and just maybe someone in the NIN camp will get a kick out of it.

Also, these ideas are great, but are crazy feature creep over what I originally planned as a silly one-off thing. I'm going to finish the original simple idea first, then we can start thinking about how to make the rest of these ideas work.

TheRealNs1
08-23-2013, 01:23 PM
up up down down left right ba select start brings up Marilyn Manson as an ally or an enemy (depending what era TR you're at LOL)

eversonpoe
08-23-2013, 01:50 PM
i think you mean

up up down down left right left right b a select start

people often overlook the second set of "left right" in the konami code...

Erik
08-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Sounds a lot like the old NIN RPG Maker game I played through a long time ago. It was created by a fan and I think distributed from the Burningsoulsforum site. It had Trent and band members battling Slipknot and Fred Durst amongst other enemies.

Not mobile, as it was made with RPG Maker for the PC, but it was a bit of fun and it made me laugh.

tony.parente
08-23-2013, 02:10 PM
Maybe he could put an option to import specific tracks to each level from your ipod to bypass that whole legal thing. he could set up time stamps to start the song and everything, so the music would be generated from your library instead of from the app itself.

TheRealNs1
08-23-2013, 02:13 PM
i think you mean

up up down down left right left right b a select start

people often overlook the second set of "left right" in the konami code...

sorry, it's been a while ;)

bgalbraith
08-25-2013, 10:05 PM
Given Trent's experience at Reading, perhaps shitty festival promoters should be added as enemies.

Anyway, I'm making decent progress on some of the basic mechanics and have sketched out how the Everything game is going to play:

1) There are 3 "venues" or stages that correspond to verse 1 + chorus 1, verse 2 + chorus 2, outro
2) The bridges correspond to changing stages
3) In stage one, Trent fends off fans coming from the right; in stage two, the left; and in stage three, both sides
4) You get points for stopping a fan, lose points if they reach trent
5) Each main song part will have a person you have to let through to get rewarded bonus points and a simple animation: rob, robin, allessandro, ilan, and josh

I think I can get the mechanics of this all done within the next week or so and have the full game running with placeholder assets.

KarenLeslie
08-26-2013, 09:12 AM
You are correct in that doing most of this well would require more than just a single person, and at that point, why not do something that is more than just a fan project. For me, the motivation comes almost entirely from the fact that it *is* a fan project -- it's about doing something I enjoy to make something that can be shared with the community, I get valuable experience in the process, and just maybe someone in the NIN camp will get a kick out of it.

Also, these ideas are great, but are crazy feature creep over what I originally planned as a silly one-off thing. I'm going to finish the original simple idea first, then we can start thinking about how to make the rest of these ideas work.

I apologize if it seems like I was putting words in your mouth, that wasn't my intention. I was just trying to point out some of the difficulties inherent in this before someone suggested a 90-hour NIN RPG for the PS4 with fully voiced dialogue:rolleyes:

Psyched that this seems to be coming along, and I look forward to seeing it in action when you're ready to show it.

staleincense
08-26-2013, 09:26 AM

Industrial elistists! Concerned parents! Pitchfork Media critics! Creepy fangirls who want to murder Mariqueen! People who say "olo trent needz to get on drugs bcuz only then is he dark and edgy enuf to satisfie me"!

laz001
08-26-2013, 10:03 AM
Industrial elistists! Concerned parents! Pitchfork Media critics! Creepy fangirls who want to murder Mariqueen! People who say "olo trent needz to get on drugs bcuz only then is he dark and edgy enuf to satisfie me"!

And now it seems, Biffy Clyro and Reading Festival. :-)

Halo Infinity
08-26-2013, 02:01 PM
- Bosses:
Courtney Love
Meathead
Axl Rose
Marilyn Manson

- Corn starch power-ups.

- Allies:
Dr. Dre
Robin Finck
Marilyn Manson (betrays you a la Alec Travelyn then becomes a boss)
Atticus Ross
I've actually thought of something like this too. And not that they'd have to be included, but I could also picture Jaz Coleman and Nivek Ogre as allies, and perhaps Richard Patrick and Al Jourgensen can go from being bosses to being allies. It's just an idea I played around with. :p

dragonkal
08-27-2013, 12:56 PM
ROFL. I love the game concept just as much as I enjoy reading and imagining the totally implausible, outrageously badass suggestions. This whole thread may need to get read aloud to the fam tonight...

bgalbraith
08-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Another update: I now have the core mechanics mostly completed. The only thing that is missing are the band members for bonus points, but I can play through the game while the song is going, the stages (left/right/center) change at roughly the right times, and it keeps track and displays a score. I'm still using placeholder assets, and there's a lot of polish that needs to be added, but there's a game there.

Here are screenshots showing the three phases: http://imgur.com/a/N9tx9

Halo Infinity
08-28-2013, 01:44 AM
You gotta put the Reznor's in their from Mario since they were after all named after Trent!
http://trentandthereznors.ytmnd.com/ :p (I'm sorry, I didn't catch it earlier, and that YTMND instantly came to mind. And yes, I like that idea as well.)

Halo Infinity
11-09-2013, 02:41 AM
bgalbraith - So... was there any progress on the game yet or was it scrapped or postponed? I'm just curious.

bgalbraith
12-05-2013, 08:46 AM
@bgalbraith (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=10) - So... was there any progress on the game yet or was it scrapped or postponed? I'm just curious.

I actually had a rough playable demo finished that Leviathant got to see at the Made in America festival. After that I got derailed by life as is not uncommon , and the priority to work on this dropped off (also my coming on here as well unfortunately, as I just saw this message almost a month later). If there is still interest I'll push to get something up for people to beta test in the next few weeks.

GlitchyFlame
05-08-2014, 08:55 PM
How is the game going?

Ryan
05-08-2014, 09:26 PM
I actually had a rough playable demo finished that @Leviathant (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1) got to see at the Made in America festival. After that I got derailed by life as is not uncommon , and the priority to work on this dropped off (also my coming on here as well unfortunately, as I just saw this message almost a month later). If there is still interest I'll push to get something up for people to beta test in the next few weeks.

You have the best avatar in existence.

bgalbraith
05-27-2014, 11:53 AM
You have the best avatar in existence.

Thanks!

How is the game going?

It's been on hold as other projects have a much higher priority at the moment. That said, I really hate the idea of being "that guy" who posts a project in progress, get's some people excited, then totally flakes on it. What I'm going to do for now is get it setup so people can directly download the version of the game that exists right now as a sort of alpha build. I'll post here once that is ready with directions on how to get it.

The original game concept was largely to take advantage of the hilarious (to me) fan outrage surrounding the release of Everything and was also designed to align with the summer 2013 festival tour. At this point I'm toying with the idea of going in a different direction, as neither of those things are really relevant at this point. Other vague ideas I had included "Flappy Trent" and "Year 2048" to take advantage, again, of simple yet popular games by slapping a NIN motif on them.

bgalbraith
06-02-2014, 09:45 PM
OK, so looking at it again, it should be able to work OK for iPhone 4 and 4s right now. iPhone 5 and 5c should run but the extra screen length isn't handled at all. iPhone 5s won't work because of an incompatibility with the version of the game framework I'm using.

The game premise right now:

NIN fans have been driven into a rage by the song Everything. Trent must fend them off from rushing him while on tour by throwing copies of Hesitation Marks at them. In order to toss a record, simply tap on the same line as the fans are rushing you. This will move Trent to that position along a set rail and fire off a record. The song Everything plays in the background, with the game stages synced to the song. Once the song ends, the game ends. The goal of the game is to get a high score for the playthrough. When the game ends, it will just sit there, so you have to hit the home button to exit out, then relaunch if you want to play again.

Hit a fan: 100
Let a fan get past you: -100
Let a fan hit you: -500

Stage 1: fans come at you from the left
Stage 2: fans come at you from the right
Stage 3: fans come at you from both sides

Things that are missing:
A way to save high scores
Replay option after game ends
Stage transition scenes/animation
Actual art assets for the fans/Trent (using stand-in sprites)
Sprite animations for when fans are hit/reach you
Friendly units aka band members
A non-copyright infringing version of Everything
Lots of polish
Greater device support

With all that said, if you want to get a copy of this to try out, PM me your UDID and I will send you directions on how to get and install the game once it's ready (I need to repackage it).