PDA

View Full Version : Riddick

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-22-2013, 08:53 PM
I am a big fan of the first two movies (Especially Pitch Black) so hearing the news over the years really got me pumped. It seems like they are going for a more Pitch Black vibe here and that is a great thing. Awesome to see where the movie is now since Vin Diesel pretty much made this film happen. Cannot wait to see the result.

http://www.impawards.com/2013/thumbs/sq_riddick.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDxDEjDMreA

Denim Chicken
08-22-2013, 11:08 PM
I enjoyed Pitch Black. I thought it was a cool concept and Riddick is badass. I always watch it when it's on tv. Chronicles I didn't see till it was on USA one afternoon and it wasn't very good. This definitely does look like a throw back to Pitch Black. Aliens, speeder bikes, Katee Sackhoff and Bautista. Sure, why not?

Millionaire
08-23-2013, 12:04 AM
This looks cool as a throwback to Pitch Black, and I'll definitely check it out, but I would've liked to see something else besides the swarms of aliens again. Maybe something like an Escape from Butcher's Bay movie. I thought that was the best Riddick story. The whole ultra-max security futuristic prison scenario was something I dug.

Hitman2110
08-23-2013, 04:59 PM
I enjoyed the first two as well (Pitch Black being the better of the two) and I think this new installment looks like a fun b-movie. Going in with realistic expectations. Not expecting anything on the level of Pitch Black, but I am hoping it'll be an enjoyable sci-fi/popcorn flick.

Demogorgon
08-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Pitch Black was always one of my favorite movies, and the games were tiiiiiiiight. Butcher Bay moreso than Dark Athena, but they were both good. i enjoyed Chronicles for what it was, trying to flesh out the characters a bit more, but if this one ends up being mostly a monsterfest with Riddick involved, i won't really complain.

thelastdisciple
08-23-2013, 05:20 PM
I'll definitely be in the theater to see this, been waiting ages for it and Riddick is easily one of my favorite Sci-Fi characters, love the whole mythos.

The thing that really pisses me off with this though is how much of a muck up they've done of the franchise identity...

The games (Butcher Bay, Dark Athena), the anime (Dark Fury) and even the re-released Pitch Black dvd/blu-ray all ended up following suit with The Chronicles of Riddick identity/brand after the 2004 movie.

The way i look at it the 2004 movie was already kind of the self titled or character titled “Riddick” movie, it just feels like they're doing the same thing twice with the title.

I much preferred when it was called The Chronicles of Riddick: Dead Man Stalking or something to that effect...

Sort of had a Star Wars thing going for it.

Deadpool
08-23-2013, 05:42 PM
I haven't seen either of the Riddick movies, but have always meant to check out Pitch Black (I think it's time to finally do that). The IMAX format and especially Katee Sackhoff (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vkVLLE111U&feature=player_embedded#t=0) are enough to get me to see this new one.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-23-2013, 06:18 PM
Pitch Black was highly underrated. It became more of a cult classic after it was released on DVD, but I watch it every time it is on television.

marodi
09-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Has anyone else seen it?

I saw it yesterday. I've never been much of a movie critic but here are a few thoughts about it:

It's better than Chronicles but not as good as Pitch Black of which it's closer story wise. CGI was lacking in some scenes but there are a few great shots as well. The acting was good; Diesel still makes a creepy and disturbing character but manages to make Riddick sympathetic at the same time. It's a 2 hours long movie that doesn't feel like it at all.

In short: it's flawed but still very very enjoyable. Except for the part about the dog. That was a shitty thing to do.

thelastdisciple
09-11-2013, 12:17 AM
I dug this new entry to the series but it wasn't without faults and many things about the new film irritated the hell out of me, case in point the spanish guy Santana... that dude was really getting on my nerves maybe that was the point but just his acting too.... urrrghh haha but he got what was coming to him thankfully so there was a bit of a reward there i guess......

I felt that they could have scaled back on the stupid silly "heartstring" scenes a bit with the dog (you'll know what i mean if you see the film).

Most of all i know this film was supposed to be "back to basics" and much lower in budget in the spirit of the first film Pitch Black but i thought it actually spent way too much time on rehashing that plot... this was almost worse than Star Trek Into Darkness in that aspect.

To be honest I would have been much more interested had the film went to the Underverse or Furya.. or at least STARTED on those stories by the end but we got nothing... this was more so just a detour to fund those stories, what i hope is that this movie earned enough to cover the cost of those as the next ones are sure to tackle the bigger fish.

All in all it was still cool to see Riddick kicking some ass and ghosting dudes like the good ol days.