PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

binaryhermit
08-22-2013, 12:59 PM
Since I've seen similar threads in other places on the forum, but I can't find one specifically for NIN, I thought I'd start one.

And, to start off, I like "The Slip" and "Everything".

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 01:00 PM
Random thought: You should try the random thought thread.

binaryhermit
08-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Random thought: You should try the random thought thread.
Didn't think of that. I'm sorry.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 01:05 PM
Didn't think of that. I'm sorry.

It's cool man, I'm here to help.

tony.parente
08-22-2013, 01:07 PM
Heres a controversial opinion: I think this thread should stay. It serves a purpose I think.

KarenLeslie
08-22-2013, 01:13 PM
Heres a controversial opinion: I think this thread should stay. It serves a purpose I think.

I agree.

-I like The Slip. A lot.
-I like many songs on PHM, but I do find young TR indefensibly whiny on it.
-It pisses me off that whenever Trent sings a song straight out-- no talk-singing, no screaming-- it seems like he always tries to bury it under the production. RWIB has that annoying filter thing going on, ITT has all that crashing and banging distracting from the singing, LITS is recorded at a stupidly low volume compared to the rest of the album, etc.

Of course, finally with Everything he's put his voice front and center, only I'm not crazy about the song.....

tw3rbz
08-22-2013, 01:15 PM
Year zero is my favorite album. And i would like to thank josh wink for his noodling on the album, at the beginning and the end.
Sorry. Ill go away

EndlessLoveless
08-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Controversial opinion- I like the flip flop flip flop flip line. A lot.

sheepdean
08-22-2013, 01:23 PM
Liking The Slip is controversial? It's hardly a bad album

Controversial opinion: I really don't care if we never hear Tapeworm

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 01:26 PM

You sir, how can I put this politely, are full of shit.

Pyract
08-22-2013, 01:28 PM
I really like Not so pretty now! There. I said it.

hani
08-22-2013, 01:29 PM
time to spark some controversy:

my favorite track from Pretty Hate Machine is Kinda I Want To
my favorite TDS-era track is The Perfect Drug
my favorite tracks on WT are The Collector, Getting Smaller (FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP), Sunspots and BYIT
my favorite track on The Slip is The Four of Us Are Dying
I love Everything

you can kill me now

Dethbryte
08-22-2013, 01:32 PM
I think With Teeth is probably my favorite album. Though at times Year Zero might hold the spot depending on my mood. It's not the greatest album, no. But it was the first new NIN album release I got to experience, so I think that's why I hold it so dearly to me.

And I love Purest Feeling.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 01:33 PM
NIN is the poor man's Stabbing Westward.

Max Leo
08-22-2013, 01:34 PM
Controversial opinion- I like the flip flop flip flop flip line. A lot.
Well, that wouldn't really be a controversial NIN opinion since Trent just used that line as a tribute to Pere Ubu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91KBuWqxE7g

But you are right, "Getting Smaller" is a cool track that deserves some more respect, it's like a NIN's cover of a Pixies song, it was WT's "Everything" (both have been bashed by many fans and this last one sounds like a The Cure's/New Order's cover).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq2ZTg5-9KI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3nPiBai66M

sheepdean
08-22-2013, 01:34 PM
You sir are, how can I put this politely, full of shit.
I am ambivalent at best towards MJK's vocals, neither of the songs heard so far have been "wow" for me and the only element of the whole band I'd really want to hear is Atticus' contributions. Which I'm sure he's used since in things like Ghosts

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 01:38 PM
sheepdean
You sir, were actually being honest.
I would probably sacrifice a puppy for a chance at hearing it.
(that was said to be controversial, in no way do I want to harm any puppies)

chroipahtz
08-22-2013, 01:43 PM
* I am sick to death of Hurt, Head Like a Hole, Gave Up, and Wish.
* I never really liked Gave Up anyway.
* Broken is overrated.
* Starfuckers, Inc. is underrated.
* I am really kind of bummed about how similar all the setlists have been recently, even if it is just for festivals -- and yes, the Scala one wasn't diverse enough for me either.
* All backup singers should stop singing, except for Alessandro Cortini, who should sing more.
* And finally, I miss Aaron North. Not his playing, just him.

Whew, that felt good.

EndlessLoveless
08-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Shit, i was just joking. Actually getting smaller is one of my least favorite nin songs. And not cause of the flip flop line. It just doesnt do anything for me....except for after the second chorus when that noise slowly fades in....like a foreshadow of BYIT.

But if i have to be serious about this question, the song that speaks to me the most is the line begins to blur. Every word. The uncertainty and paranoia...its fucking haunting listening to it now, knowing where i was in my life when i heard it. And that crushing drum and bass...just perfect. Fav nin song.

Also, and all that could have been speaks to me, on a whole other level.

Fuck wrong thread. My bad

hani
08-22-2013, 01:48 PM
* I never really liked Gave Up anyway.
yes

* Starfuckers, Inc. is underrated.
YES

* All backup singers should stop singing, except for Alessandro Cortini, who should sing more.
YES! [edit: I mean, no, Finck should sing too, but Ally should sing louder]

* And finally, I miss Aaron North. Not his playing, just him.
YES YES YES!!!

jesus fuckin christ do I miss Aaron?????? I mean Finckster is the man but GOD Aaron was so fucking awesome. fucking dangerous, man, he could do anything. he broke stuff, he jumped on stuff, he fockin wrecked the shit out of his guitars and amps. that man had some serious balls

and btw, ever since Live: With Teeth, my fav member (except for Trent of course) was always Ally. I love him on Live: Beside You In Time. plus, his solo stuff as SONOIO made me cry a lot. this dude is my god

goingincirclez
08-22-2013, 01:50 PM
I could happily do without "Wish" being performed live again. I think it's the "26 years..." line. While I admire the dedication to ferocity and his ability to pull it off, all I can think of is "damn, that was a long time ago... even close to the *same amount of time* ago!"

And yet I'll never tire of Gave Up, which usually pairs with Wish to bookend a respite in the set to riotous effect.

It's a First World NIN problem, I guess.

chroipahtz
08-22-2013, 01:50 PM
his solo stuff as SONOIO made me cry a lot. this dude is my god

It's so good. It's so fucking good. Listen to modwheelmood if you haven't, too. Specifically Pearls to Pigs. A better collection of earworms, I've never found.

eversonpoe
08-22-2013, 01:55 PM
time to spark some controversy:

my favorite track from Pretty Hate Machine is Kinda I Want To
my favorite TDS-era track is The Perfect Drug
my favorite tracks on WT are The Collector, Getting Smaller (FLIP FLOP FLIP FLOP FLIP), Sunspots and BYIT
my favorite track on The Slip is The Four of Us Are Dying
I love Everything

you can kill me now

strongly agree with all of this except i don't like sunspots at all.

kinda i want to is ONE of my favs off PHM, and the perfect drug is ONE of my favs from TDS era.

i was listening to the slip yesterday and i had forgotten how much i love the triptych of corona radiata/the four of us are dying/demon seed. probably one of my favorite ending-sections of any NIN release.

goingincirclez
08-22-2013, 02:03 PM
...i love the triptych of corona radiata/the four of us are dying/demon seed. probably one of my favorite ending-sections of any NIN release.

Agreed, and that's kind of how I feel about With Teeth. That album is rather scattered and myopic but TLBTB / BYIT / RWIB trifecta really make a strong close. Seems like ALL of NIN's post-Fragile era albums have stronger finishes than builds, now that I think about it... the conclusion to YZ is rather poignant and pointed compared to that album's earlier meandering.

EndlessLoveless
08-22-2013, 02:06 PM
strongly agree with all of this except i don't like sunspots at all.

kinda i want to is ONE of my favs off PHM, and the perfect drug is ONE of my favs from TDS era.

i was listening to the slip yesterday and i had forgotten how much i love the triptych of corona radiata/the four of us are dying/demon seed. probably one of my favorite ending-sections of any NIN release.

Isnt lights in the sky part of that combo? I mean, it fades right into corona.

frothy_ham
08-22-2013, 02:17 PM
NIN is the poor man's Stabbing Westward.

http://i.imgur.com/RylY6y5.png

eversonpoe
08-22-2013, 02:22 PM
Isnt lights in the sky part of that combo? I mean, it fades right into corona.

technically, yes, but it's my least-favorite song on the slip. (yes, i like 999,999 more than lights in the sky)

hani
08-22-2013, 02:43 PM
It's so good. It's so fucking good. Listen to modwheelmood if you haven't, too. Specifically Pearls to Pigs. A better collection of earworms, I've never found.

oooh yes, Pearls to Pigs is awesome. I usually sing Problem Me when in the shower

Shadaloo
08-22-2013, 02:45 PM
-Starfuckers is fine where it is. Should be a setlist regular again.
-Deep fucking rules and always has
-So does Where Is Everybody?
-So does The Collector
-The Slip would have made a way better EP
-I don't know if it's tasteless, but I would really like to hear 'Just Do it' some day if it was ever recorded at all. And, of course, 'The Beauty of the Drug'.
-Gave Up should be retired from setlists.
-Sunspots is average.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 02:59 PM
oooh yes, Pearls to Pigs is awesome. I usually sing Problem Me when in the shower

Sounds like a personal problem :)

Amaro
08-22-2013, 03:08 PM
I had the idea of a thread exactly as this one in the last two days, from reading the Least Favorite NIN Tracks some.

\\

The Line Begins To Blur is one of the greatest NIN songs. It just is.

hani
08-22-2013, 03:13 PM
Sounds like a personal problem :)

the song is not about THAT problem, it's just pretty catchy :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o41rgQeY7Xo

GavinCollins420
08-22-2013, 03:15 PM
I don't like Gave Up.
I fucking love The Collector.
I think Getting Smaller is awesome.
I don't understand the hate for God Given, that track is killer.
Year Zero is my favourite album.
I really don't care for TDTWWA.

theSplinter04
08-22-2013, 03:18 PM
I never liked Reptile. The chorus is too annoying.

theyellowdart
08-22-2013, 03:24 PM
Year zero is my favorite album. And i would like to thank josh wink for his noodling on the album, at the beginning and the end.
Sorry. Ill go away

This joke will be on ets for a while.

OSLIN
08-22-2013, 03:25 PM
the song is not about THAT problem, it's just pretty catchy :D

Just mute video on right.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=o41rgQeY7Xo&start1=0&video2=FTofjcxXHqA&start2=0&authorName=OSLIN (http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=o41rgQeY7Xo&start1=0&video2=FTofjcxXHqA&start2=0&authorName=OSLIN)

tony.parente
08-22-2013, 03:28 PM
The Slip was a mistake.
He should have scrapped everything and put Lights In The Sky on the Greatest Hits album and released that instead.

The Reason Being
08-22-2013, 03:30 PM
Goths annoy me. The fact that they are seen as synonymous with NIN annoys me. I'm an asshole.

I absolutely love the Porter Ricks mix of TDTWWA.

I'll show myself the door.

InvitingmeAway
08-22-2013, 03:40 PM
IMO Reptile is amazing

ComradeCornhole
08-22-2013, 03:47 PM
Where is Everybody? > 2/3 of The Fragile. And while we're on the subject, I frequently skip Please. Also, as previously stated, Deep is awesome. I love Zoo Station. I think TR's best look is YZ-Wave Goodbye. I would be THRILLED if With Teeth (the song) were thrown back into set lists. Come to think of it, add several WT songs. And finally (for now), I rarely think about, or listen to, because I'm not particularly touched by: And All That Could Have Been.

hani
08-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Just mute video on right.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=o41rgQeY7Xo&start1=0&video2=FTofjcxXHqA&start2=0&authorName=OSLIN (http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=o41rgQeY7Xo&start1=0&video2=FTofjcxXHqA&start2=0&authorName=OSLIN)

no

just

ummm

no

Halo Infinity
08-22-2013, 03:59 PM
I don't know how controversial these opinions are, but I thought I'd give it a shot.

1. I like both the Left and the Right discs of The Fragile equally. As much as I love Somewhat Damaged, The Day The World Went Away, The Wretched, We're In This Together, The Fragile, Just Like You Imagined, and Pilgrimage, I also loved The Way Out Is Though, Into The Void, Where Is Everybody?, Starfuckers, Inc., I'm Looking Forward To Joining You, Finally, and Ripe (With Decay).

2. I used to love Underneath It All, but I barely listen to it now. It's probably my least favorite track on the Right disc.

3. Starfuckers, Inc. is actually one of my most favorite songs from the Right disc as mentioned in number 1.

4. I also mentioned this in NIN.com as well: I sometimes find myself liking With Teeth more than Year Zero, Ghosts I-IV, and The Slip, but that also depends on my mood.

5. Ghosts I-IV would have to be by far my least favorite NIN album. (I'm also not saying it's a bad album either, now that would've been really controversial, as I really do have some favorite tracks from both Ghosts I-II and Ghosts III-IV.)

6. Everything easily became my latest favorite NIN song.

Wolfkiller
08-22-2013, 04:01 PM
Third time is a charm...
Not only is Deep great, but so is the video. Come at me.
Closer is amazing even if it is overplayed.
PHM is awesome and I find nothing embarrassing about it.
Trent should have married Tori instead to prevent her from sucking later in her career.

hani
08-22-2013, 04:18 PM
Trent should have married Tori instead to prevent her from sucking later in her career.

quick question (will spark some controversy too, I guess)

who's Tori

RGM81
08-22-2013, 04:21 PM
So much bravery here.

Here's mine - I've never been a fan of Piggy live, and I hope it gets some vacation time during Tension. Also, let Robin play guitar more often.

binaryhermit
08-22-2013, 04:24 PM
quick question (will spark some controversy too, I guess)

who's Tori
I think this refers to Tori Amos.

chroipahtz
08-22-2013, 04:25 PM
who's Tori
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tori_amos

hani
08-22-2013, 04:29 PM
she was involved with TR? didn't know

Amaro
08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
HM will at least beat out YZ, GH, TS, and even WT for me. In one throw.

This is a somewhat unfounded opinion, but an opinion nonetheless. Real controversial talk.

frothy_ham
08-22-2013, 04:30 PM
plus, his solo stuff as SONOIO made me cry a lot. this dude is my god
Both SONOIO albums are SOOOOO freaking good. I can't believe we didn't hear more about them in general, some of my favorite releases by any artist in the last few years. The only bad thing about Ally being on tour with NIN for the next year and half plus is less time to record a follow-up :p.

chroipahtz
08-22-2013, 04:34 PM
Trent did write his best music while he was deep in the throes of drug addiction. That said, I don't think it had anything to do with his drug addiction. He was a tortured artist, spending years and years on one release, presumably slaving over it in the studio every day, trying to get little pieces perfect. I just wish he would do that again. I imagine With Teeth took some time (due to the scrapped Bleedthrough concept), but every bit of work since has been much more quickly done. I just want him to be that perfectionist again.

eversonpoe
08-22-2013, 04:35 PM
she was involved with TR? didn't know

yeah, around 94. that's part of why trent does vocals on her song "past the mission"

howdidislipinto
08-22-2013, 04:35 PM

Can I double down on that and say I hope we never do, because everything about it sounds shitty? Nothing about it ever sounded exciting. "NIN but with less talented people!" Yay?

hani
08-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Both SONOIO albums are SOOOOO freaking good. I can't believe we didn't hear more about them in general, some of my favorite releases by any artist in the last few years. The only bad thing about Ally being on tour with NIN for the next year and half plus is less time to record a follow-up :p.

Ally tweeted that new SONOIO record will be out this year

frothy_ham
08-22-2013, 04:47 PM
Ally tweeted that new SONOIO record will be out this year
GAH!!!! I'm so behind on my feed, missed that completely. Thanks for the great news!

hani
08-22-2013, 04:57 PM
GAH!!!! I'm so behind on my feed, missed that completely. Thanks for the great news!

https://twitter.com/blindoldfreak/status/355893877477081089

ComradeCornhole
08-22-2013, 05:12 PM
Trent did write his best music while he was deep in the throes of drug addiction. That said, I don't think it had anything to do with his drug addiction. He was a tortured artist, spending years and years on one release, presumably slaving over it in the studio every day, trying to get little pieces perfect. I just wish he would do that again. I imagine With Teeth took some time (due to the scrapped Bleedthrough concept), but every bit of work since has been much more quickly done. I just want him to be that perfectionist again.

This... is within the realm of possibility. I've had a similar feeling that along with the drugs came insecurity and paranoia that his music wasn't going to be good enough. Couple that with the imposed media pressure of "saving rock music", and you have a recipe for some really groundbreaking tunes. Of course, this was almost at the expense of TR's sanity. After sobriety, there was confidence and relaxation that lead to making music with joy and, importantly, without much in the way of pressure or expectations (at least not any he cared about). This may have led to TR being a little more... lax in is standards, shall we say? Or if that doesn't seem quite right, maybe we could call it a confidence that anything he put together was worth hearing.

chroipahtz
08-22-2013, 05:19 PM
This... is within the realm of possibility. I've had a similar feeling that along with the drugs came insecurity and paranoia that his music wasn't going to be good enough. Couple that with the imposed media pressure of "saving rock music", and you have a recipe for some really groundbreaking tunes. Of course, this was almost at the expense of TR's sanity. After sobriety, there was confidence and relaxation that lead to making music with joy and, importantly, without much in the way of pressure or expectations (at least not any he cared about). This may have led to TR being a little more... lax in is standards, shall we say? Or if that doesn't seem quite right, maybe we could call it a confidence that anything he put together was worth hearing.
I'm sure it's just that it's been healthier for him to not obsess over the material and just let it flow out. But hey, we haven't had a painstaking effort since The Fragile, and I miss that stuff. It was so nuanced and weird.

Hitman2110
08-22-2013, 05:23 PM
So much bravery here.

Here's mine - I've never been a fan of Piggy live, and I hope it gets some vacation time during Tension. Also, let Robin play guitar more often.

While not a comment about live performances, I will say this:

Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now) > Piggy

Not sure if that's really controversial though (kinda doubt it).

nowimnothing
08-22-2013, 05:33 PM
Agreed, and that's kind of how I feel about With Teeth. That album is rather scattered and myopic but TLBTB / BYIT / RWIB trifecta really make a strong close. Seems like ALL of NIN's post-Fragile era albums have stronger finishes than builds, now that I think about it... the conclusion to YZ is rather poignant and pointed compared to that album's earlier meandering.

Agree with this entirely. It seems to be one of TR's strengths.

nowimnothing
08-22-2013, 05:52 PM
Controversial thoughts:

1. Fuck The Perfect Drug. It was, and still is - shit. I could give two fucks if they ever play it live. The remixes were more interesting than the original.
2. PHM is ridiculously dated. The remaster made it less so - but nonetheless, none of the songs from PHM should ever be played live again.
3. Survivalism and THTF are so shitty that are almost funny. The first half of With Teeth was absolutely terrible - I can only listen to the last half these days.
4. I listen to The Slip regularly from start to finish. Great album. Maybe I am still hard that he gave it away for free.
5. Half of Ghosts is fantastic. The other, more percussion based and aggressive tracks do not fit at all - and I really dislike them.
6. TR's scores are better than post Fragile albums by a fucking mile.

Inkė
08-22-2013, 06:01 PM
I dream of a setlist with songs only picked from Year Zero, The Slip and Hesitation Marks. The show ends with The Day The World Went Away.

ninsp
08-22-2013, 06:57 PM
Most of With Teeth is shit except for the last four/five or so songs.
Year Zero is a modern masterpiece that I put up there with TDS and The Fragile.
A lot of Pretty Hate Machine is fucking terrible.
Gave Up is a sucky song.

pigpen
08-22-2013, 07:18 PM
I think people would be as bored with a TDS or TF sounding record as TR would be making one.
I find PHM to be a more compelling record than YZ.
YZ would be an awful television show and I'm glad it's not happening.
Both The Social Network and TGWTDT OST's are boring and do not compete with anything TR has put out under NIN.
Ghosts is an unfocused mess of a record/experiment.
Closer, for as many times as I've heard it, within the context of TDS is still a fucking amazing song and I never EVER skip it.

howdidislipinto
08-22-2013, 07:18 PM
That's What I Get is probably in my top 10 NIN songs. Maybe my top 5.

bigbadjesus
08-22-2013, 07:19 PM
I think the real reason Trent and Brian Warner/Marilyn Manson had a falling out is because Trent propositioned Brian for gay sex, or possibly vice versa, and the other wasn't up for it.

tw3rbz
08-22-2013, 07:20 PM
There is not a single song I skip when listening to ANY nine inch nails album except Ripe(with decay) And year zero is my fav. The concept, the ARG, everything about it is amazing.

jesus
08-22-2013, 07:23 PM
Everything is the best NIN track of the last 4 albums

Krazy
08-22-2013, 07:25 PM

Jesus- get back to work. And quit trolling Internet forums!!

tiempo
08-22-2013, 07:28 PM
I have seen every tour since FDS tour in 94 and I wish he would mix up the setlists a bit. One of the most rewarding shows for me was when he opened up for Bowie's Outside tour in 95. Closer To God, Sanctified, Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now) - still can't believe it! I understand why the setlist has the songs on it, but more reinterpretations of them are most welcomed for those of us who try to catch them at least once a tour.

jesus
08-22-2013, 07:37 PM
Jesus- get back to work. And quit trolling Internet forums!!
LOL Is my opinion over-controversial , even considered Trolling?

Krazy
08-22-2013, 07:40 PM
LOL Is my opinion over-controversial , even considered Trolling?

Sarcasm man, sarcasm.

Carry on.

jesus
08-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Sarcasm man, sarcasm.

Carry on.
??? Sarcasm too! hahahahaha

TheRealNs1

fuck that, "Everything" is GOAT.

Christo
Controversial thoughts:

1. Fuck The Perfect Drug. It was, and still is - shit. I could give two fucks if they ever play it live. The remixes were more interesting than the original.
2. PHM is ridiculously dated. The remaster made it less so - but nonetheless, none of the songs from PHM should ever be played live again.
3. Survivalism and THTF are so shitty that are almost funny. The first half of With Teeth was absolutely terrible - I can only listen to the last half these days.
4. I listen to The Slip regularly from start to finish. Great album. Maybe I am still hard that he gave it away for free.
5. Half of Ghosts is fantastic. The other, more percussion based and aggressive tracks do not fit at all - and I really dislike them.
6. TR's scores are better than post Fragile albums by a fucking mile.
Your opinions are null and void because you like The Slip

Transfixed
08-22-2013, 07:52 PM
I guess this is controversial...?

I think Beside You In Time might be my favorite NIN track of all time. Something about where I was in life when it came out, and that it was SO unexpected, and just so hypnotic and kinda ballsy... plus the lyrics, and that EXPLOSION of energy at the end, it just hits me every time. Greatest. Ever. And I'm a massive NIN fan since the early 90's, for what it's worth.

Mark Fraser
08-22-2013, 08:05 PM
The Modwheelmood remix of the Great Destroyer is one of the top 10 NIN songs of the past 10 years.

whiskeyboy
08-22-2013, 08:05 PM
1. the pixor of rez in his relaxedwear circa late 90's is the most flattering pixor of him in existence
2. meathead needs to come out of retirement to give the discipline treatment to everything
3. year zero is second only to the fragile
4. ruiner, in terms of layering, production, and raw artistic talent, outpaces any nin song ever written

marodi
08-22-2013, 08:06 PM
I don't like any of the remixes.
I agree that Alessandro should do all the back vocals, all the time and he should do them louder. I love his voice.
The Finckster's singing voice is godawful but once you get beyond that fact, you miss it when it's not there. The ending of Reptile would not be the same without him.
I've always found it highly amusing that (kinda) short and skinny Trent was manhandling seven feet tall Robin Finck, on stage, all those years ago.
The Perfect Drug and Deep are great songs.

carpenoctem
08-22-2013, 08:10 PM
The Fragile is bloated and takes real effort to listen to start to finish. I have only done it a few times, back when I first discovered it. Yet it has his best individual songs - Somewhat Damaged, The Wretched, and Into The Void are amazing.

KarenLeslie
08-22-2013, 08:36 PM
The Fragile is bloated and takes real effort to listen to start to finish. I have only done it a few times, back when I first discovered it. Yet it has his best individual songs - Somewhat Damaged, The Wretched, and Into The Void are amazing.

I agree with this. I love several of the individual tracks on the album, but it does feel overworked and kind of masturbatory, if that makes any sense. I always feel kind of guilty when other fans wax poetic about their love of TF because I feel like I probably should appreciate it more than I do.

ninsp
08-22-2013, 08:40 PM
I agree with this. I love several of the individual tracks on the album, but it does feel overworked and kind of masturbatory, if that makes any sense. I always feel kind of guilty when other fans wax poetic about their love of TF because I feel like I probably should appreciate it more than I do.

The Fragile is the best double album ever written.

Krazy
08-22-2013, 08:45 PM
+3 on TF. One of the reasons it wasn't as well liked when it was released (outside of it not being TDS pt. 2, or at least a progression of Broken to TDS to the next whatever) was how long it was and had filler tracks, or things that just didn't quite seem to fit.

Everyones got their favorite songs from TF, if you could fit it into one CD would be much better IMHO. It's one of those great albums that I find myself skipping a lot of songs... if that makes sense.

goingincirclez
08-22-2013, 09:04 PM
As I'm what seemed like one of the few who instantly adored The Fragile right from release day, I'll admit it does demand a certain attention and no small amount of time.

But what you should try is playing it start-finish on a long solo road trip. In fact, that was how I first heard it: I had a long road trip scheduled for work. I had to be up at 5 am, so I picked up my copy at midnight and went to bed, content in the fact I'd get to hear it in a few short hours from the comfortable environs of my car's respectable stereo.

Fuck Zeus, what an experience that was: swallowed up on an interstate slowly coming alive. But everything fell into place... even the bloated / filler parts are like the ebb and flow of so much traffic... hitch-hiking through the void would be an apt metaphor.

So yeah, The Fragile is best served in the right environment. But even now sometimes I listen to it in my sleep... Pilgrimage jars me awake every time, so that La Mer can carry me off...

One warning about driving though: Underneath it All is not compatible with lead feet. Er, that is if you'd like to spare your wallet and tires some angiush, heh heh.

jessamineny
08-22-2013, 09:11 PM
What are these bloated/filler parts you speak of? :::confusion:::

ninsp
08-22-2013, 09:12 PM
As I'm what seemed like one of the few who instantly adored The Fragile right from release day, I'll admit it does demand a certain attention and no small amount of time.

But what you should try is playing it start-finish on a long solo road trip. In fact, that was how I first heard it: I had a long road trip scheduled for work. I had to be up at 5 am, so I picked up my copy at midnight and went to bed, content in the fact I'd get to hear it in a few short hours from the comfortable environs of my car's respectable stereo.

Fuck Zeus, what an experience that was: swallowed up on an interstate slowly coming alive. But everything fell into place... even the bloated / filler parts are like the ebb and flow of so much traffic... hitch-hiking through the void would be an apt metaphor.

So yeah, The Fragile is best served in the right environment. But even now sometimes I listen to it in my sleep... Pilgrimage jars me awake every time, so that La Mer can carry me off...

One warning about driving though: Underneath it All is not compatible with lead feet. Er, that is if you'd like to spare your wallet and tires some angiush, heh heh.

Man, the other day, I put The Fragile on, and it was a 24/96 vinyl rip on some great headphones through an amazing amp...

Jaw dropping.

fragmentjunkie
08-22-2013, 09:14 PM
I think Memorabilia is fucking awesome.

tiempo
08-22-2013, 09:20 PM
TF is definitely a commitment, but never bloated. A lifetime of layers hidden in that beautiful album for me to explore...

TheRealNs1
08-22-2013, 09:27 PM
What are these bloated/filler parts you speak of? :::confusion:::

Ripe (With Decay) for one; I like the song name more than I like the song.

steelnails95
08-22-2013, 09:32 PM
This is the best thread on ETS ever!

goingincirclez
08-22-2013, 09:37 PM
Truth is I personally don't consider TF to be bloated at all. All the songs have a purpose, and the order is generally sensible. It's not meant to be a seamlessly flowing album. Consider the name: the sometimes clunky arrangement and hither-yon aesthetics really do underscore just how, ahem, fragile the whole thing really is.

But the key word there, is sometimes (clunky). Going back to my "ebb and flow of traffic" metaphor: sometimes you zip right through a familiar stretch and sometimes it takes to long for Who the fuck knows why. Same too with The Fragile: sometimes my mood just doesn't feel like a Starfucker, or With Decay, or even (ironically) Fragile. It doesn't happen often... but sometimes it does.

The Fragile is truly an organic work. It is never the same, no matter how many times I hear it. All those songs evoke so many different moods and sweep to so many places real, felt, forgotten and imagined... all and never at once.

For me it is the most cherished piece of music I've had the pleasure to hear and "own" and when The Deluxe Edition is finally "soon" announced for sale I'll be knocking the rest o' you muthafukas out the way to be first in line...

...just kidding on that last bit. Well, maybe only a little.

Copy of A
08-22-2013, 09:41 PM
I guess this is controversial...?

I think Beside You In Time might be my favorite NIN track of all time. Something about where I was in life when it came out, and that it was SO unexpected, and just so hypnotic and kinda ballsy... plus the lyrics, and that EXPLOSION of energy at the end, it just hits me every time. Greatest. Ever. And I'm a massive NIN fan since the early 90's, for what it's worth.
I agree man, I love that song

eversonpoe
08-22-2013, 09:43 PM
i just listened to "maybe just once" for the first time ever (i know, right?) and i really liked it (i know, right?)

everyone grab your pitchforks!

InvitingmeAway
08-22-2013, 09:51 PM
I miss North as well. Is it in the minority to like the end of The Great Destroyer? Cause I love that entire song!!!

InvitingmeAway
08-22-2013, 09:53 PM
And The Slip is great, favorite track is Head Dow, second is Corona Radiata (turn the bass up on speakers full blast, whole different experience)

steelnails95
08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Ive always thought The Great Destroyer is very overrated and probably the worst song on Year Zero. I love Kinda I Want To

steelnails95
08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
I also don't like Piggy very much

InvitingmeAway
08-22-2013, 09:59 PM
I also don't like Piggy very much You pig...nah jk. I love Piggy, I love it more on TDS Live.

joplinpicasso
08-22-2013, 10:07 PM
The stretch of four songs from La Mer - The Great Below - The Way Out Is Through - Into The Void or the trilogy of The Line Begins To Blur - Beside You In Time - Right Where It Belongs might be Trent's greatest musical achievements as a songwriter and arranger. (So far)

carpenoctem
08-22-2013, 10:16 PM
@joplin - Oh for sure, although I'd like to tack on Sunspots into that last movement. Really amazing stuff.

ComradeCornhole
08-22-2013, 10:46 PM
Truth is I personally don't consider TF to be bloated at all. All the songs have a purpose, and the order is generally sensible. It's not meant to be a seamlessly flowing album. Consider the name: the sometimes clunky arrangement and hither-yon aesthetics really do underscore just how, ahem, fragile the whole thing really is.

But the key word there, is sometimes (clunky). Going back to my "ebb and flow of traffic" metaphor: sometimes you zip right through a familiar stretch and sometimes it takes to long for Who the fuck knows why. Same too with The Fragile: sometimes my mood just doesn't feel like a Starfucker, or With Decay, or even (ironically) Fragile. It doesn't happen often... but sometimes it does.

The Fragile is truly an organic work. It is never the same, no matter how many times I hear it. All those songs evoke so many different moods and sweep to so many places real, felt, forgotten and imagined... all and never at once.

For me it is the most cherished piece of music I've had the pleasure to hear and "own" and when The Deluxe Edition is finally "soon" announced for sale I'll be knocking the rest o' you muthafukas out the way to be first in line...

...just kidding on that last bit. Well, maybe only a little.

It shouldn't be controversial at all to call The Fragile a grand, ambitious, sweeping masterpiece the likes of which few musicians ever hear, much less produce. It probably won't be controversial at all in twenty or thirty years.

ManBurning
08-23-2013, 02:08 AM
Year Zero was the first album I did not go out and buy on release day (I even went and purchased the Slip on release day after he gave it AWAY FOR FREE), as I hated it so much I told myself I was not paying for that piece of shit.

Maybe 4 years after it's release, I found it at a used CD store in the bargain bin section for $3. I picked it up only to complete my collection of all the halos.
I did the same with Year Zero Remixed, found it a few years after it was released in a bargain bin.

For some reason I really, really hated that era...

On a completely opposite side thought, I thought "The Slip" was FANTASTIC!

Sunspots

I wrote this elsewhere on this board the other day, but Sunspots is the BEST song he has written sober.

3. The first half of With Teeth was absolutely terrible - I can only listen to the last half these days.

I hate to admit this, but [With_Teeth] isn't very good as an album. It has some amazing tracks on it, but I personally tried to listen to it a few months ago, and I know EXACTLY what you mean. Started off with All The Love In The World (love that track) and then I kinda skipped to Getting Smaller / Sunspots / The Line Begins To Blur and then I turned it off, lol.

And Yes folks, you heard me correctly... I willingly skip to Getting Smaller and listen to it.

dominik
08-23-2013, 03:54 AM
he also wrote TDS sober.

Scarlet Siren
08-23-2013, 03:56 AM
I'd quite like to see a Closer omitted from the setlist for a little while. And The Hand That Feeds, I never was a fan of that song.

Sutekh
08-23-2013, 04:06 AM
Cutting out 10 miles high and the new flesh but leaving in please and no you don't is a baffling decision, the former are superb and the latter pretty dull tbh

Tiz
08-23-2013, 04:16 AM
YZ is solid
Everything is awesome
TDS sounds dated as hell

Khrz
08-23-2013, 04:21 AM
TDS sounds dated as hell

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff178/BLAKKROB/wanted.gif

Boy, that escalated quickly...

ComradeCornhole
08-23-2013, 05:06 AM
It shouldn't be controversial at all to call The Fragile a grand, ambitious, sweeping masterpiece the likes of which few musicians ever hear, much less produce. It probably won't be controversial at all in twenty or thirty years.

Oops. I phrased that like shit. What I meant to say was, "the likes of which is heard very rarely, much less produced." It isn't as though only certain musicians have access to good music, is it?

dlb
08-23-2013, 05:38 AM
YZ would be an awful television show and I'm glad it's not happening.

thank god, yes! Let it die already! No YZ2, no ARG anymore and no television show!

And I agree with pretty much everything else you said, only that I rocked the shit out of the SN soundtrack. Dragon tattoo on the other hand... the only cool tracks were solely used for trailers and immigrant song is too short.

Ryan
08-23-2013, 05:43 AM
TDS sounds dated as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au0E8-YTdBo

[/end best response to ETS post ever now]

Mijji
08-23-2013, 06:20 AM
- absolutely addicted to all of the three new songs from Hesitation Marks EDIT: uh.. four... somehow I missed Find My Way (in before I notice there's a fifth one)
- I still can't see why Closer is such a big hit. Ruiner has always been the one for me on TDS

The stretch of four songs from La Mer - The Great Below - The Way Out Is Through - Into The Void or the trilogy of The Line Begins To Blur - Beside You In Time - Right Where It Belongs might be Trent's greatest musical achievements as a songwriter and arranger. (So far)
Not really controversial in my opinion but AGREED!!

Butterscotch
08-23-2013, 04:45 PM
This might just be my OCD talking, but I would have liked Ghosts more if the songs had actual titles instead of just being numbered.

redshoewearer
08-23-2013, 05:31 PM
I skip Pilgrimage whenever I play TF. I find it too upsetting for some unknown reason. I listen to everything else, every other noisy, angry, quiet, weird, sad (and now 1 happy) song, but I have to skip Pilgrimage. It feels too close to some awful reality that always seems just around the corner, and hits me too viscerally to tolerate.

Transfixed
08-23-2013, 05:41 PM
I skip Pilgrimage whenever I play TF. I find it too upsetting for some unknown reason. I listen to everything else, every other noisy, angry, quiet, weird, sad (and now 1 happy) song, but I have to skip Pilgrimage. It feels too close to some awful reality that always seems just around the corner, and hits me too viscerally to tolerate.

So bizarre... and yet I know EXACTLY what you mean. I hated it passionately when TF first came out. Sometime about 6 months ago I heard it for the first time in a long time and was actually able to appreciate/enjoy it. But yeah... it's strangely disturbing... which is saying a lot when talking about NIN. The odd thing being that there's nothing overtly disturbing about it! It just grates on me the wrong way....hmm.

Tiz
08-23-2013, 06:03 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au0E8-YTdBo

[/end best response to ETS post ever now]

Bitch, pleeeeeeease.

I love The Downward Spiral from top to bottom. But that doesn't stop those guitar tones from sounding INCREDIBLY nineties.

ZeroisGreg
08-23-2013, 06:06 PM
I agree man, I love that song
When I first heard a teaser of this track for With teetha, it pumped me up. I thought 'Man! that kicks all ass'. Then I heard the full track and really wanted it to be longer with a build-up, break, then build up again.

Fist Fuck
08-23-2013, 07:57 PM
This might just be my OCD talking, but I would have liked Ghosts more if the songs had actual titles instead of just being numbered.

Speaking of Ghosts and OCD... Having them titled Ghosts I - IV only makes sense if there are going to be more Ghosts. While we're at it, I think Ghosts I - IV is the most underrated NIN album ever. Even though I'm not a huge fan of all the songs (Ghosts 15 or 23 in particular), it's perfect the way it is. The packaging, artwork, simplicity, I love it (so much more than let's say... The Slip).

The Slip on the other hand would have made a great EP. As a full length album I must say it's lacking substance to me. I know it was given away for free, but that doesn't matter.

1. 1,000,000
2. Discipline
3. Echoplex
4. Head Down
5. Lights In The Sky
6. Corona Radiata

Yep, I said it. No Letting You, no Demon Seed.

tony.parente
08-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Speaking of Ghosts and OCD... Having them titled Ghosts I - IV only makes sense if there are going to be more Ghosts. While we're at it, I think Ghosts I - IV is the most underrated NIN album ever. Even though I'm not a huge fan of all the songs (Ghosts 15 or 23 in particular), it's perfect the way it is. The packaging, artwork, simplicity, I love it (so much more than let's say... The Slip).

The Slip on the other hand would have made a great EP. As a full length album I must say it's lacking substance to me. I know it was given away for free, but that doesn't matter.

1. 1,000,000
2. Discipline
3. Echoplex
4. Head Down
5. Lights In The Sky
6. Corona Radiata

Echoplex
Letting You
Lights In The Sky

Fixed*

chroipahtz
08-23-2013, 08:19 PM
Demon Seed is the 2nd best song on that album, after Head Down.

Come at me.

TheRealNs1
08-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Bitch, pleeeeeeease.

I love The Downward Spiral from top to bottom. But that doesn't stop those guitar tones from sounding INCREDIBLY nineties.

if by "incredibly nineties" you mean "incredibly awesome" then yes, I agree.

That said, the first time I heard TDS in it's entirely (2008 mind you) the first words out of my mouth were "WTF IS THIS SHIT".

Mr.Metheus
08-23-2013, 08:59 PM
The Modwheelmood remix of the Great Destroyer is one of the top 10 NIN songs of the past 10 years.

YES. I thought I was the only one! It's actually one of my all-time favorite songs, from any musician.

chroipahtz
08-23-2013, 09:01 PM
Agree. More Cortini remixes please.

Mr.Metheus
08-23-2013, 09:17 PM
Yes, please! Didn't he also do that remix of The Space in Between?

chroipahtz
08-23-2013, 09:21 PM
Yeah, that was good too. I'm also down for Trent remixes of SONOIO. Are you listening, Trent?

ps trent if you're listening please leak hesitation marks please and thank you

ComradeCornhole
08-23-2013, 09:24 PM
So bizarre... and yet I know EXACTLY what you mean. I hated it passionately when TF first came out. Sometime about 6 months ago I heard it for the first time in a long time and was actually able to appreciate/enjoy it. But yeah... it's strangely disturbing... which is saying a lot when talking about NIN. The odd thing being that there's nothing overtly disturbing about it! It just grates on me the wrong way....hmm.

I think of Nazis every time.

ComradeCornhole
08-23-2013, 09:28 PM

Come at me.

I prefer Head Down's live ending with the TR-midi-shitfuck.

Amaro
08-23-2013, 09:30 PM
I could never get into Head Down. I like things about it, but I don't like it.

goingincirclez
08-23-2013, 09:35 PM
The Slip on the other hand would have made a great EP...

... No Letting You, no Demon Seed.

http://www.goingincirclez.com//Kaleid/Albums/NIN/table_flip_by_warcry31-d4pmxgs.gif

Actually I get where you're coming from. I like the Slip, but I always thought it could have been arranged better. Turned into an EP I would drop 1,000,000, Discipline and Echoplex and plot the remainder as such:

1. 999,999 -> as an excellent lead (given the trailing vocal) into
2. The Four of Us Are Dying
3. Letting You
4. Lights in the Sky
5. Head Down
6. Demon Seed
7. Corona Radiata

Arranged that way, there's a narrative. Tracks 3-4-5 betray a sense of tortured scizophrenia. 6 becomes the defiant realization as a result, which makes track 7 a more jarring and haunting conclusion to the story.

(Yes, my therapist loves me, why do you ask?)

chroipahtz
08-23-2013, 09:40 PM
yesssss holy shit yes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTLaYlmyNo&t=3m20s

TheRealNs1
08-23-2013, 09:51 PM
yesssss holy shit yes

Ilan is a gangster at like, everything, but Freese is a fucking OG on the drums.

Fist Fuck
08-23-2013, 09:51 PM
Head Down is a great track, but never really sounded that great live. Either Trent's voice was fucked, Robin's guitar had a weird sound or the general lack of guitar in the chorus was a downer. That midi-shitfuck is great though.

Letting You works great live, but the studio version never did it for me. It's one of the weakest tracks IMO.

And by the way: NIN2013 > LITS

Ponderance
08-23-2013, 09:57 PM
I didn't realize people didn't like the slip. But I would assume my controversial opinion would be.... Well, not so much here among other fans. But the look I get when I say I don't think Closer is a fun happy fuck song as much as it is a desperate, dark and depressing song. People think I'm insane.

Sad, my first post in this thread is about one of the most popular NIN songs out there. and I doubt the fact The Way Out is Through is not only my favorite NIN song but my favorite song, period, would be controversial at all.

danebraddy
08-23-2013, 10:04 PM
I don't think Closer is a fun happy fuck song as much as it is a desperate, dark and depressing song.

That's not a controversial opinion. It's the truth.
I've never heard anyone describe the song as a 'happy fuck song'.
I know when it came out some clubs played it as such, but I've not known anyone who actually listened to the song think its about rolling in the hay. Or a good time.

Ryan
08-23-2013, 10:06 PM

Come at me.

It's the best song on the record for me.

Ponderance
08-23-2013, 10:25 PM
That's not a controversial opinion. It's the truth.
I've never heard anyone describe the song as a 'happy fuck song'.
I know when it came out some clubs played it as such, but I've not known anyone who actually listened to the song think its about rolling in the hay. Or a good time.

Sadly half a dozen people instantly came to mind who do think just that - it's a fun, happy song to fuck to. Then more trickled in. It's quite sad.

allegro
08-23-2013, 11:06 PM
I saw a guy get down on one knee and propose to his girlfriend on the floor at the Joe Louis Arena (Detroit) during "Hurt."

Ryan
08-23-2013, 11:08 PM

yesssss holy shit yes

Me too. Got a great capture of it back in '09 -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o5cnvvqsJI

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 12:04 AM
So, here's something controversial, I guess. It always seemed a little to me that as Trent made his musical 80-degree turn in 2005 with With Teeth, which has continued into the "new-NIN" sound that we're now well-familiar with, that his new "poppy" quality of music, (releasing tracks like 'Only' etc) kinda came off a little...gay? Like, not that he sounded flaming or anything, but some of the sound that he goes for in his last several records seems to have a certain flair to it that resembles that of a repressed dude letting some of his gayness out. IS IT JUST ME? Some of his tunes sound a little fruity, and on this new stuff too, no joke. I don't mean it as any offense and I love his work as much as all of you, but that's something I've honestly thought and want to know what you think. And yes I know he's married with kids.

chroipahtz
08-24-2013, 12:13 AM
All you need to do is look at PHM and earlier stuff to see Trent's flamboyant side. He was probably too depressed/fucked out of his mind to do that stuff before he got sober. Now every song is filled with tambourines and "YEAH"s and more lip pursing than Zoolander. But the pure focused energy of the concerts has gone up, so hey, more power to him.

I leave you with this:
http://ningayfuel.ytmnd.com/

r_z
08-24-2013, 06:29 AM
The Slip is the only album I can listen to without skipping a song. As raw as the album may sound, I think it's part of its appeal. And from a production standpoint, I think Head Down is one of the best NIN songs in the catalogue. Overall, I'm loving the garage-y vibe and I think, it's perfectly sequenced. Only thing bothering me, is Discipline fading out and cutting off.

dominik
08-24-2013, 06:58 AM
So, here's something controversial, I guess. It always seemed a little to me that as Trent made his musical 80-degree turn in 2005 with With Teeth, which has continued into the "new-NIN" sound that we're now well-familiar with, that his new "poppy" quality of music, (releasing tracks like 'Only' etc) kinda came off a little...gay?

Dude, have you ever heard the DFA remix of the hand that feeds?

theSplinter04
08-24-2013, 07:35 AM
Turned into an EP I would drop 1,000,000, Discipline and Echoplex and plot the remainder as such:

wait, what

godflesh
08-24-2013, 08:59 AM
I don't seem to get the avid collecting thing that is so prominent with NIN fans, I mean I understand why people want as much music as they can get they're hands on but sometimes the cost of being a collector is a bit scary.
Some fans I've met equate people's collection with how much of a fan a person is!

CRIMinal
08-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Actually I get where you're coming from. I like the Slip, but I always thought it could have been arranged better. Turned into an EP I would drop 1,000,000, Discipline and Echoplex and plot the remainder as such:

1. 999,999 -> as an excellent lead (given the trailing vocal) into
2. The Four of Us Are Dying
3. Letting You
4. Lights in the Sky
5. Head Down
6. Demon Seed
7. Corona Radiata

Arranged that way, there's a narrative. Tracks 3-4-5 betray a sense of tortured scizophrenia. 6 becomes the defiant realization as a result, which makes track 7 a more jarring and haunting conclusion to the story.

I listened to this arrangement a couple of times this morning and I have to say that it flows nicely.

CRIMinal
08-24-2013, 10:08 AM
I don't know if this is controversial or if it has been said before, but I honestly want Trent to work with some other musicians besides Atticus. I like what the two of them have created together, but I think he needs to change it up some. I would love to see Grohl, Homme, and Reznor do more work together. I really like Mantra and want more stuff like that.

Scarlet Siren
08-24-2013, 11:00 AM
All you need to do is look at PHM and earlier stuff to see Trent's flamboyant side. He was probably too depressed/fucked out of his mind to do that stuff before he got sober. Now every song is filled with tambourines and "YEAH"s and more lip pursing than Zoolander. But the pure focused energy of the concerts has gone up, so hey, more power to him.

I leave you with this:
http://ningayfuel.ytmnd.com/

I hate you for posting that link!! I've just embarrassed myself by laughing so hard and shooting water through my nose in front of a coach full of people!

Damn you! LOL!

Collin
08-24-2013, 11:03 AM
I think Welcome Oblivion and The Social Network score are some of the best albums Trent has ever released.

hani
08-24-2013, 12:04 PM
Letting You works great live, but the studio version never did it for me. It's one of the weakest tracks IMO.

exactly. all the other tracks on The Slip are top notch.

ZeroSum
08-24-2013, 01:39 PM
- PHM is the worst NIN album. About half is classic, but the other half is unlistenable. The new live version of Sanctified fucking rules, though.

- The Slip is fucking excellent and massively underrated. It has better flow than most NIN albums, and while it DOES feel like an album that was banged out in just a couple of weeks, It does a great job of drawing together a bunch of elements from all previous eras of NIN. It really does feel like Trent's retrospective on his personal growth alongside the development of Nine Inch Nails.

- Ghosts is also fantastic. It bothers me when people brush it off. A few songs are annoying, yes, but its one of my favorite albums to relax to, and it's relevance to the career of Trent is huge. Look at the film scores!

- Year Zero belongs alongside TDS and TF as the great NIN masterpieces.

- "I Do Not Want This" is a top 3 song on TDS

- "All the Love in the World" is one of the absolute best NIN songs ever, and With Teeth has some of Trent's all time best work. It's sad to see songs like Sunspots, Right Where It Belongs, and Beside You In Time get brought down by crap like "Getting Smaller." This album could be much improved if a few of the more lackluster songs were replaced with "Home" and "Non-Entity."

- Despite both discs being amazing, it's hard as fuck to listen to The Fragile in its entirety. I almost view Left and Right as two different albums.

- Discipline is a really good song

- I like Mariqueen's voice. I hope she is in Hesitation Marks. If she has been thus far, don't tell me. I have heard about half of what has been released.

nineismine
08-24-2013, 01:46 PM
Since I've seen similar threads in other places on the forum, but I can't find one specifically for NIN, I thought I'd start one.

And, to start off, I like "The Slip" and "Everything".
me too and I just short of hate With teeth.

nineismine
08-24-2013, 01:48 PM
i just listened to "maybe just once" for the first time ever (i know, right?) and i really liked it (i know, right?)

everyone grab your pitchforks!

love it++++++

nineismine
08-24-2013, 01:50 PM
I could never get into Head Down. I like things about it, but I don't like it.

Head down is probably my favorite song on the slip and in my top ten... Love what he says in that song.

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 02:49 PM
Dude, have you ever heard the DFA remix of the hand that feeds?

Umm.. don't think so. Why, is it uber gay?

dominik
08-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Umm.. don't think so. Why, is it uber gay?

Yes. Even gayer than slave2thewage.

nineismine
08-24-2013, 03:25 PM
the slip is the only album i can listen to without skipping a song. As raw as the album may sound, i think it's part of its appeal. And from a production standpoint, i think head down is one of the best nin songs in the catalogue. Overall, i'm loving the garage-y vibe and i think, it's perfectly sequenced. Only thing bothering me, is discipline fading out and cutting off.

fuck yeah
+++++++++

Ponderance
08-24-2013, 03:59 PM
- "All the Love in the World" is one of the absolute best NIN songs ever, and With Teeth has some of Trent's all time best work. It's sad to see songs like Sunspots, Right Where It Belongs, and Beside You In Time get brought down by crap like "Getting Smaller." This album could be much improved if a few of the more lackluster songs were replaced with "Home" and "Non-Entity."

YEEAAAHHHHH!!!!!!! Fuck yeah!! *fiddles with that*

Mutilated
08-24-2013, 04:47 PM
I'm 99.9% certain the Ladytron remix of The Beginning of the End is better than the original.

hani
08-24-2013, 04:49 PM
So, here's something controversial, I guess. It always seemed a little to me that as Trent made his musical 80-degree turn in 2005 with With Teeth, which has continued into the "new-NIN" sound that we're now well-familiar with, that his new "poppy" quality of music, (releasing tracks like 'Only' etc) kinda came off a little...gay? Like, not that he sounded flaming or anything, but some of the sound that he goes for in his last several records seems to have a certain flair to it that resembles that of a repressed dude letting some of his gayness out. IS IT JUST ME? Some of his tunes sound a little fruity, and on this new stuff too, no joke. I don't mean it as any offense and I love his work as much as all of you, but that's something I've honestly thought and want to know what you think. And yes I know he's married with kids.

please tell me that you're joking

hani
08-24-2013, 04:56 PM
- PHM is the worst NIN album. About half is classic, but the other half is unlistenable. The new live version of Sanctified fucking rules, though.
actually PHM is awesome and Kinda I Want To is one of my top NIN tracks

- The Slip is fucking excellent and massively underrated. It has better flow than most NIN albums, and while it DOES feel like an album that was banged out in just a couple of weeks, It does a great job of drawing together a bunch of elements from all previous eras of NIN. It really does feel like Trent's retrospective on his personal growth alongside the development of Nine Inch Nails.
bravo, that needed to be said

- Year Zero belongs alongside TDS and TF as the great NIN masterpieces.
YES

am I the only person in the world who loves every single track on WT, including The Collector and Getting Smaller?

- Despite both discs being amazing, it's hard as fuck to listen to The Fragile in its entirety. I almost view Left and Right as two different albums.
I can't agree with that, the flow of the album is flawless. I actually love how The Great Below is complimented with the first sounds of The Way Out Is Through

- Discipline is a really good song
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

- I like Mariqueen's voice. I hope she is in Hesitation Marks. If she has been thus far, don't tell me. I have heard about half of what has been released.
I hope Trent isn't reading this, because personally I really think she's beautiful and I MOST DEFINITELY WOULD :D

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 04:58 PM
please tell me that you're joking

Why? It's pretty self-evident. I mean, isn't it?
I'm dead serious, and am asking in a serious manner. You don't think ol' Trezzy's gotten fruitier as time goes by? Sure, maybe hearkening back to his early fruitiness in the late 80's/early 90's but... my eyebrows have definitely been raised in suspicion a few times. Have you heard 'Everything'? My friends said it sounded like someone driving down a palm-lined suburban California street ina convertible, bobbing their head and chewing bubblegum... And I can't say I disagree.

marodi
08-24-2013, 05:10 PM
Why? It's pretty self-evident. I mean, isn't it?
I'm dead serious, and am asking in a serious manner. You don't think ol' Trezzy's gotten fruitier as time goes by? Sure, maybe hearkening back to his early fruitiness in the late 80's/early 90's but... my eyebrows have definitely been raised in suspicion a few times. Have you heard 'Everything'? My friends said it sounded like someone driving down a palm-lined suburban California street ina convertible, bobbing their head and chewing bubblegum... And I can't say I disagree.

Is this your way of coming out as a homophobe?

And I won't even address the possible "fruitiness" of TR because it's just... not there.

Scarlet Siren
08-24-2013, 05:15 PM

No thanks. I like Mariqueen's voice, its pleasant I like her in HTDA. Welcome Oblivion is one of my most played albums this year, I love it. But really, NIN as well???

No bloody thanks. I'll leave it at that.

howdidislipinto
08-24-2013, 05:35 PM
fruity

What the fuck is wrong with you?

dominik
08-24-2013, 05:56 PM
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Just chill. There have been worse statements here on ETS.. like that time when someone said tapeworm failed because Trent was hitting on Maynard

nin5in
08-24-2013, 06:50 PM
-My favorite songs off PHM are ​Kinda I Want To ​​and That's What I Get
- I like the Aphrodite mix of The Perfect Drug
- ​When I first heard Came Back Haunted, ​​ my first thought was " WTF?"

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 07:04 PM
Is this your way of coming out as a homophobe?

And I won't even address the possible "fruitiness" of TR because it's just... not there.

I can appreciate that people are assuming that I'm joking or trolling, but I am (again) completely serious, and shouldn't have to stress that fact 4 friggin times. The fact that the mere mention of gayness makes you assume "homophobia" says more about your perspective on homosexuality than it does mine.

ANYWAY - surely someone else see what I'm saying. The sudden obssessive love of the tambourine, the constant "HEY!" he does live, the uh, SYNTH-POP that he's become massively a fan of over the last 8 years? The really, really fruity songs like "All the Love in the world", much of "The Slip", and now with "CBH" and especially "Everything", it's just impossible to ignore.

Butterscotch
08-24-2013, 07:07 PM
I can appreciate that people are assuming that I'm joking or trolling, but I am (again) completely serious, and shouldn't have to stress that fact 4 friggin times. The fact that the mere mention of gayness makes you assume "homophobia" says more about your perspective on homosexuality than it does mine.

ANYWAY - surely someone else see what I'm saying. The sudden obssessive love of the tambourine, the constant "HEY!" he does live, the uh, SYNTH-POP that he's become massively a fan of over the last 8 years? The really, really fruity songs like "All the Love in the world", much of "The Slip", and now with "CBH" and especially "Everything", it's just impossible to ignore.

Yes, because everyone who does that is gay.

Better stop now, dear. Your ignorance is showing.

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 07:09 PM
Yes, because everyone who does that is gay.

Better stop now, dear. Your ignorance is showing.\

No, the ignorance of the people on this fukkin boarxd is showing. I asked a legitimate, serious, honest question and get nothing but insipid responses like yours, DEAR.

Butterscotch
08-24-2013, 07:11 PM
\

No, the ignorance of the people on this fukkin boarxd is showing. I asked a legitimate, serious, honest question and get nothing but insipid responses like yours, DEAR.

Aww, you called me dear back?

You're just a big sweetheart, aren't you? :o

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 07:16 PM
Cool. Nothing like closed-minded people calling you closed-minded...

Butterscotch
08-24-2013, 07:18 PM
Cool. Nothing like closed-minded people calling you closed-minded...

Aw, I wanted to be your friend. :(

Butterscotch
08-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Two different mindsets, one of which is either understanding and jacking with the other (Butterscotch) and the other just making it worse (Transfixed)... Very unfortunate. I empathize as I'm a profane person and often get slapped with various labels regardless of what the context and attempted clarification said..

Just throwing this on there..

Honestly, I just wasn't a big fan of what he said, and I thought I'd mess with him a little.

Maybe not the most mature way to respond, but admittedly, I'm not a very mature person.

Sorry to shit up the board. :(

jesus
08-24-2013, 07:24 PM
I think that the Pretty Hate Machine Remaster is superior than the original

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 07:25 PM
For the record, I thought this was "Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions", but apparently I'm in the wrong place.

Sutekh
08-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Er nope, people disagreeing with you is what controversy is, so this is the right thread. You're just being a bitch because your hick waffle wasn't met with a chorus of approval

Scarlet Siren
08-24-2013, 07:31 PM
http://i.imgur.com/IlzfP.gif

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 07:34 PM
Er nope, people disagreeing with you is what controversy is, so this is the right thread. You're just being a bitch because your hick waffle wasn't met with a chorus of approval

A: People weren't disagreeing, they were ignoring the question and calling me a homopobe.
B: I wasn't looking for "approval" or for anyone to agree, I was looking for (gasp!) actual discussion about the idea. But hey, gayness is a no-no, so Trent CANNOT be even a little gay, therefore we cannot discuss it and must trash the poster of the question.

You guys really suck sometimes.

Butterscotch
08-24-2013, 07:36 PM
A: People weren't disagreeing, they were ignoring the question and calling me a homopobe.
B: I wasn't looking for "approval" or for anyone to agree, I was looking for (gasp!) actual discussion about the idea. But hey, gayness is a no-no, so Trent CANNOT be even a little gay, therefore we cannot discuss it and must trash the poster of the question.

You guys really suck sometimes.

I would have no problem with Trent being gay, if he was.

Also, not that it matters, but I'm gay myself.

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 07:46 PM
I would have no problem with Trent being gay, if he was.

Also, not that it matters, but I'm gay myself.

Cool, I am not, but have several gay friends and have no issue in the slightest with gayness nor Trent being (even a little) gay!
I'm not even sure that what I'm detecting is necessarily real, that's why I was interested in the opinions of yous guys.

Sutekh
08-24-2013, 07:48 PM
Yeah... You've missed the point, people are disagreeing with the basis on which you infer gayness (a tambourine? grow up) not the implication that TR could be gay

Ichiro
Demon Seed is the greatest thing ever (at least that's my opinion after listening to The Slip twice through while drunk).

Shadaloo
Head down is probably my favorite song on the slip and in my top ten... Love what he says in that song.

Hell yes. In terms of lyrics, it felt like the most honest, personal thing on that album which, when I look back on it, felt like kind of a hodgepodge (not complaining, just saying he did kinda dash it off quickly comparatively speaking, and it shows a little).

sheepdean
08-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Transfixed no one cares about his sexuality. It's the way you talked about it, the fact you think being gay/"fruity" could be controversial and ... Trent has a wife? I mean, he might be bi/pan/queer/whatever, but he's not gay.

captainbeyond
08-24-2013, 08:02 PM
4. ruiner, in terms of layering, production, and raw artistic talent, outpaces any nin song ever written

I agree 100%.

howdidislipinto
08-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Just chill.

No thanks.

What you categorize, generalize and discriminate as sounding "gay" is ridiculous, not to mention that you're using a fucking derogatory term to describe said "gayness." THAT'S why people are calling you a homophobe. It's not ok to talk the way you talk. Grow the fuck up.

tiempo
08-24-2013, 09:45 PM
So much unfair hate for the magnificent tambourine...
Trying to imagine Motown or The Beatles without it.

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 10:23 PM
No thanks.

What you categorize, generalize and discriminate as sounding "gay" is ridiculous, not to mention that you're using a fucking derogatory term to describe said "gayness." THAT'S why people are calling you a homophobe. It's not ok to talk the way you talk. Grow the fuck up.

I'm 31 years old and have several gay friends and am about as UNhomophobic as you can get, so you can get down off your high horse. I was trying to describe the intangible essence of Trent's possible gay layer, and I described it the best I could. No - using a tambourine doesn't make him gay, it's the WAY he uses it, and his seeming obssession out of nowhere. I don't know what the fuck else to call it other than fruity, and it's not meant to be derogatory. I'll talk any damn way I want to, but thanks for playing First Amendment Police Officer.
I could have simply said "do you guys think Trent might be a little gay?" But would've been bombarded by "WHERES YOUR EVIDENCE"-type statements, so I tried to throw a few things out there that have always struck me as a little gay. I'm just trying to spark the goddamn question/discussion not dive deep into my supposed homophobia, which does not in fact exist.
RELAX. If you don't wanna discuss it, then move on.

JessicaSarahS
08-24-2013, 10:25 PM

I love it! We need more tambourine action. :o

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lhhlme1Dcg1qb58vko1_500.gif

Transfixed
08-24-2013, 10:25 PM
@Transfixed (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3363) no one cares about his sexuality. It's the way you talked about it, the fact you think being gay/"fruity" could be controversial and ... Trent has a wife? I mean, he might be bi/pan/queer/whatever, but he's not gay.

Well if he's married with kids, then yes, being secretly homosexual qualifies as controversial. And clearly by the flaming treatment I've received for asking the question, I think that pretty well confirms it's "controversial" nature.

Butterscotch
08-24-2013, 10:31 PM
Well if he's married with kids, then yes, being secretly homosexual qualifies as controversial. And clearly by the flaming treatment I've received for asking the question, I think that pretty well confirms it's "controversial" nature.

http://i.imgur.com/tkvdyvl.jpg

sheepdean
08-24-2013, 10:53 PM
The HOMOPHOBIC BULLSHIT is why you got this response, not to mention NO ONE CARES WHAT HIS SEXUALITY IS. You think someone's music can define their sexuality? Are you really that fucking stupid?

tw3rbz
08-24-2013, 10:57 PM
I personally think the tambourine is badass, and I'm so glad he is obsessed with it.. There are parts of came back haunted that I expected him to play with the tambourine. He didn't D:

allegro
08-24-2013, 10:59 PM
I had no idea that there is a het way and a gay way of playing the tambourine. And I was a percussionist in school. Tambourine is a serious percussion instrument.

http://www.bostonconservatory.edu/percdb/carroll-orchestral-repertoire-tambourine-triangle-and-castanets

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OTc4gdQuJSA

Trying to imagine Motown or The Beatles without it.
Jack Ashford!!!!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zOKO3BkDm3s

Transfixed
08-25-2013, 12:00 AM
http://icongal.com/gallery/image/47404/gay_hands_handshake_alliance_deal.png

howdidislipinto
08-25-2013, 12:10 AM
bigoted horseshit

Trent could be gay, Mariqueen could be his willing beard, NIN could finally put out I Like Dudes with nothing but Rob's photography of a Pride parade as the artwork, and you'd still be a fucking idiot. I hope you hate yourself.

Butterscotch
08-25-2013, 12:11 AM
Seriously, can we drop this now?

Is it worth arguing a whole page over?

Scarlet Siren
08-25-2013, 01:33 AM
[QUOTE=Transfixed;119890]I'm 31 years old and have several gay friends and am about as UNhomophobic as you can get, so you can get down off your high horse.... [\QUOTE]

I hate opening statements like this. Paula Deen had plenty of African American friends and associates but it still turns out she was racist and used derogatory terminology.

Look dude, I'm going to go disagree with most folk here, and say you're not a homophobe, I think you have a little thing for Trent yourself ;) go on admit it, you have a serious man crush on him. Nothing to be ashamed of, there are plenty of blokes who feel the same way but it takes a real man to admit it, I know them personally and live happy fulfilling lives. Rather than place this your dealing with on Trent and look for validation at his expense you just need to deal with it and accept it.

And while you're at it, leave the bloody tambourine of if this, man! Not one person could shake a tambourine as badass as Trent Renzor! I know it and YOU know it! VIVA TAMBOURINE!

Have a good day!

J x

marodi
08-25-2013, 01:41 AM
The only thing that's more badass than Trent and his tambourine was Justin and his tiny cymbals.

Scarlet Siren
08-25-2013, 02:12 AM
jesus. that paula deen shit got brought into this. what a massive fucking piece of shit, worthless waste of anybody's time that tiny amount of totally unrelated to anything evidence besides, at best, some out of context bullshit that was. but, considering the ammo used against Transfixed so far... Fucking why not use such worthless tracers in a firefight? I mean what the fuck?

Calm the hell down, dickhead. Seriously, calm down. That was unnecessary.

howdidislipinto
08-25-2013, 02:25 AM
I'm 31 years old and have several gay friends and am about as UNhomophobic as you can get, so you can get down off your high horse....

I hate opening statements like this.

Scarlet is absolutely right. Only a bigot ever needs to defend him or herself by saying, "But I have so many _______ friends..." because non-bigoted people prove it by just not saying bigoted things. Why is the Paula Deen comparison off base? She said some stupid bullshit and tried to justify it just as ridiculously as this @Transfixed (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3363) clown. I'm surprised at how many people are leaping to his defense. NIN fans are a lot of things (obsessive, overeager, occasionally creepy) but one thing I'm proud of is that we're a pretty welcoming lot. I go to a concert and I feel like I see all types. Maybe primarily a little on the pale side, but still, all types. We don't need high school bully bullshit about "fruity beats" and "playing tambourine the gay way" being spouted off here. Don't brush it off or try and change the subject. Shut him the fuck down.

sheepdean
08-25-2013, 02:29 AM
And this​ is why this kinda thread is always a bad idea

howdidislipinto
08-25-2013, 02:36 AM
And this​ is why this kinda thread is always a bad idea

Ha. I dunno, people still probably had a more extreme reaction to that one dude saying TDS sounded dated.

Ponderance
08-25-2013, 03:10 AM
Today I learned the acceptable way to accept bringing yourself to being someone's first entry on their ignore list is going back and facepalming all of their posts. Sly.

08-25-2013

03:09 AM - howdidislipinto (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=284) clicked Faceplams for this post: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?p=119800#post119800) by Ponderance (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3510)
03:08 AM - howdidislipinto (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=284) clicked Faceplams for this post: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?p=119906#post119906) by Ponderance (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3510)
03:08 AM - howdidislipinto (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=284) clicked Faceplams for this post: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?p=119970#post119970) by Ponderance (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3510)
03:08 AM - howdidislipinto (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=284) clicked Faceplams for this post: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?p=119977#post119977) by Ponderance (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3510)
02:36 AM - howdidislipinto (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=284) clicked Faceplams for this post: Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/showthread.php?p=119986#post119986) by Ponderance (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3510)
Guess the time he got ignored. You go boy.

howdidislipinto
08-25-2013, 03:55 AM
...yeah, I stand by it. His PMs were hysterical.

Controversial NIN opinion: count me amongst the nearly 3s or 4s of people who like the Porter Ricks TDTWWA mix. I can't explain it. Definitely don't like the Me I'm Not remix, but... that Porter Ricks mix does it for me. Who the hell is Porter Ricks, anyway?

(Josh Wink?)

Ponderance
08-25-2013, 03:58 AM
If that's your definition of Hysterical..... Sheltered life. Barely even elevated. Bravo.

Halo Infinity
08-25-2013, 04:08 AM
These are just some other opinions I've mentioned at NIN.com. I'm actually not sure how controversial they are, and they're probably not, unless it really depends on who you speak to.

1. I think that first time buyers would be better off checking out the regular versions of Pretty Hate Machine and The Downward Spiral before even thinking about checking out the remastered versions, and I still find myself listening to the regular versions a lot more.

2. I also like to think of Broken as the second album. (Not to say that it is.)

BenAkenobi
08-25-2013, 04:24 AM
Ha. I dunno, people still probably had a more extreme reaction to that one dude saying TDS sounded dated.

saying dated about TDS* is like talking personal stuff with your best friend, with whom you are the most honest and aren't shy about discussing "uncomfortable" things. similar opinions from other people** may seem less acceptable, as in "what do they know?!"

piggy
08-25-2013, 05:21 AM
I can't get into the Fixed and TPD Versions EPs, save for a couple of tracks on each one.
I adore Ghosts I-IV and I hope to see a Ghosts V-VIII someday.
I don't collect NIN stuff like a lot of fans do, though I used to be a lukewarm collector in the past.
I think Things Falling Apart is overrated due to all the shitty "Starfuckers, Inc." mixes.
I think there's some cool stuff on the domestic HLAH single.

UnjollyIrishman
08-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Ohhh, I have a bad one....

I never liked Closer that much imho. It is not bad, and I do like some things a lot, like the the arrangement, both on the studio version and the live versions I have seen, they were bloody awesome. But for me personally, the lyrics annoyed me quite a bit. I don't get the whole, I need this to survive thing that most people get, I get a more sadistic psycho thing. Its just not my cup of tea as far as I can see.

wunderpanda
08-25-2013, 08:19 AM
I prefer Aaron to Robin. He seems more reckless and less deconstructive on the live versions. He jumped around too, randomly, from out of frame, just 'weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it's Aaron! *guitar solo*. Just miss it. ;-(

Transfixed
08-25-2013, 09:56 AM
Scarlet is absolutely right. Only a bigot ever needs to defend him or herself by saying, "But I have so many _______ friends..." because non-bigoted people prove it by just not saying bigoted things. Why is the Paula Deen comparison off base? She said some stupid bullshit and tried to justify it just as ridiculously as this @Transfixed (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3363) clown. I'm surprised at how many people are leaping to his defense. NIN fans are a lot of things (obsessive, overeager, occasionally creepy) but one thing I'm proud of is that we're a pretty welcoming lot. I go to a concert and I feel like I see all types. Maybe primarily a little on the pale side, but still, all types. We don't need high school bully bullshit about "fruity beats" and "playing tambourine the gay way" being spouted off here. Don't brush it off or try and change the subject. Shut him the fuck down.

You know what? I don't care what the consequences are, I don't care if I'm banned and never come back - you're a fucking asshole who, among several others here - has jumped massively to conclusions which are flat out wrong. I am in no way whatsoever "bigoted", and just because I mention that I have several gay friends, even THAT gets turned around on me, and used as more of your pathetic ammo to "shut me the fuck down"? It has become clear that what you guys have a problem with isn't ME, it's the insinuation that Trent might be a little gay. You just cannot stand it, so you build this huge wall of wrath, camouflage it in "DEFENDING THE GAYS" bravado, and try with all your might to burn me down. Fuck you. I am a HUGE NIN fan, and have been since the early 90's, I own every record, many t-shirts, posters, imports etc... so I have every right in the world to bring up - in a thread called 'Controversial NIN opinions' no less - the question of whether or not he might be a little gay. The tambourine thing was ONE example, it wasn't a great one, but it wasn't the crux of my statement - yet you guys run and ruuuuuuuuun with it to try to point out how fucking stupid I am instead of, I dunno, discussing the actual subject. But it's so much more fun to act like using the word 'fruity' is bigoted somehow, when....wait for it....ACTUAL GAY PEOPLE use the term themselves! Whooooaaaaa..... I didn't realize that suggesting there's a drop of gay in Trent would bring the self-righteous dickheads out of the woodwork like moths to the flame. And yet, there you are.
And seriously...Paula Deen? Just wow.

allegro
08-25-2013, 10:01 AM
(Um, actually, the "Trent is secretly gay" or --more often -- "Trent is bi" rumor has been circulating for DECADES. For lots and lots of reasons [gay porn snippets in videos and songs, making out with Rich Patrick on stage, rumors from NOLA that Trent had both a gf and a bf, etc etc.] There have been at least 3 entire threads dedicated to this topic on ETS. So, for us seasoned NIN fans, this isn't controversy at all. Most of us admitted at least the possibility of bi, went "meh, whatever" and moved on.)

thefragile_jake
08-25-2013, 10:06 AM
I prefer Aaron to Robin. He seems more reckless and less deconstructive on the live versions. He jumped around too, randomly, from out of frame, just 'weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee it's Aaron! *guitar solo*. Just miss it. ;-(

I thought Aaron was fun live but I HATED his solo during Wish. He made it sound way too bluesy for me.

dominik
08-25-2013, 10:13 AM
(Um, actually, the "Trent is secretly gay" or --more often -- "Trent is bi" rumor has been circulating for DECADES. For lots and lots of reasons [gay porn snippets in videos and songs, making out with Rich Patrick on stage, rumors from NOLA that Trent had both a gf and a bf, etc etc.] There have been at least 3 entire threads dedicated to this topic on ETS. So, for us seasoned NIN fans, this isn't controversy at all. Most of us admitted at least the possibility of bi, went "meh, whatever" and moved on.)

Yeah I mean, in the 90s he talked about wanting to suck dick so that rumor is not exactly coming from nowhere.

@howdidislipinto (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=284): I have no clue why you facepalmed that DFA remix post, but let me tell you this: James Murphy himself said (jokingly) that they were going for the gayest sound possible, so maybe you should not take everything so seriously.

The Reason Being
08-25-2013, 10:22 AM
If that DFA remix is gay then I need to tell my girlfriend because COUNT ME IN

ambergris
08-25-2013, 10:27 AM
Well, I have a couple of gay friends, but, seriously, they're a bunch of homos.

allegro
08-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Most of us can proudly embrace our gay side. The thing I don't get is the "electronics music is gay" thing. I always heard it was: "Broadway show tunes are totally gay."

thefragile_jake
08-25-2013, 10:30 AM
If that DFA remix is gay then I need to tell my girlfriend because COUNT ME IN

Here here!

Actually that DFA remix is one of my top five favorite NIN remixes of all time. I love the way that track sounds.

orestes
08-25-2013, 11:22 AM
What is this fuckery?

allegro
08-25-2013, 11:44 AM
^ Oh, crap, sorry, accidental facepalm.

Transfixed
08-25-2013, 12:00 PM
How does one even facepalm? Is there secret voodoo involved? I don't see the option...

brokenfragility
08-25-2013, 12:07 PM
How does one even facepalm? Is there secret voodoo involved? I don't see the option...

You have to have donated money to get the facepalm button I believe.

sheepdean
08-25-2013, 12:12 PM
Donate money, also lets you have custom avatar and custom user title. And the respect and love of thousands

BenAkenobi
08-25-2013, 12:16 PM
You have to have donated money to get the facepalm button I believe.

also you have to be just a bit gay :D

marodi
08-25-2013, 12:28 PM
also you have to be just a bit gay :D

And own a tambourine.

Controversial: the album version of Closer is far superior to any live performances.

nineismine
08-25-2013, 12:56 PM
Sometimes I think that nine inch nails fans go out of their way to try to hate some of the songs on each album so they can maintain they edginess....

Butterscotch
08-25-2013, 12:58 PM
Sometimes I think that nine inch nails fans go out of their way to try to hate some of the songs on each album so they can maintain they edginess....

I'm going to start hating Hurt right now, so I'll be one of the cool kids...

I can't do this.

paul_guyet
08-25-2013, 01:05 PM
Not sure how controversial this is but I would be okay never hearing The Hand That Feeds, Head Like A Hole, Wish or Terrible Lie live ever again. I could be okay with Terrible Lie, but I'm done with those others...barring some radical Sanctified-esque recreation.

Also: I really like 'Everything'.

fillow
08-25-2013, 01:20 PM
Things Falling Apart is the best NIN remix album and all three Starfuckers remixes are fucking awesome.

Pretty much every edit of LITS gift footage sucks. AVOTT isn't that good too due to godawful color correction.

Alessandro Cortini is overrated. Not his HTDA/NIN live appearance, but all his remixes and Sonoio music.

hani
08-25-2013, 01:25 PM

I was watching Live: Beside You In Time yesterday and I was thinking the exact same thing. that line-up was pure gold, I think North/White/Cortini/Freese is my fav NIN line-up. 2nd place: Finck/JMJ/Cortini/Freese.

Alessandro Cortini is overrated. Not his HTDA/NIN live appearance, but all his remixes and Sonoio music.

you take that back

orestes
08-25-2013, 01:53 PM
Things Falling Apart is the best NIN remix album and all three Starfuckers remixes are fucking awesome.

Nope. Nope. Nope.

Transfixed
08-25-2013, 09:47 PM
Things Falling Apart is truly a masterpiece of a remix album. Can't say I dig all 3 SF remixes though...
Also, 'Still' doesn't get nearly enough love. I played that bad boy endlessly.

Joshua Lami
08-25-2013, 10:37 PM
Controversial NIN opinions? Ok... here goes.

-Pretty Hate Machine is an okay record. A good jumping off point, and groundbreaking for it's time. It's not that great of a record through and through.
-The Only Tme is the best song on PHM.
-Gave Up is my least favorite song on Broken.
-Closer is an incredible song. The last half of it is one of my favorite instrumentals on a NIN record.
-I Do Not Want This might be one of my least favorite songs... not just from TDS... but from the entire NIN catalogue.
-I hate the song Please. But, to be fair, it's literally the only song on The Fragile I dislike.
-I hate the redone live version intro to Somewhat Damaged. I think it ruins the buildup of the song.
-I think With Teeth is an amazing album, and I like damn near every track on it.
-I like RWIB better than Hurt.
-The breakdown at the end of The Great Destroyer is my favorite moment on Year Zero.
-I have never listened to Ghosts past the first 4-5 tracks.
-I only played The Slip 3-4 times the first week it came out, and wasn't particularly impressed, but am considering giving it a re-listen soon.
-I like Everything
-I love hip hop music.

SM Rollinger
08-25-2013, 10:44 PM
I could do without ever hearing live versions MOTP, HLAH, Hurt, Gave Up, Wish, Piggy, Closer (with the TOT breakdown), and Terrible Lie, in their current forms, ever again. I think their tired souding and could do some serious reworking.

Dont get me wrong, their all great, classic songs. Just in need of a little love, like Sanctified '13, the version of Hurt that was played on Dissonance, and the Ghosts Piggy. How about for March, an extended intro ala the "All the Pigs, all lined up" mix? Get the crowd worked up into a frenzy.

(im trying for constructive criticisim here guys. this is tough, there isnt much i dont like about NIN. well, except for maybe Lights In The Sky. I mean, seriously? Come on Trent, this sounds like a b-side from The Fragile, or something that dint make the cut for Still.)

tw3rbz
08-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Closer (with the TOT breakdown)
That shit is SO fucking sick.

SM Rollinger
08-25-2013, 10:50 PM
That shit is SO fucking sick.

WAS sick, i agree. But after hearing it time and time again, i long for either the original arrangement or something new entirely.

edit: I haven't added it up or anything, but im almost certain at this point, the version with the TOT breakdown has been played more than the original arrangement.

tw3rbz
08-25-2013, 11:03 PM
WAS sick, i agree. But after hearing it time and time again, i long for either the original arrangement or something new entirely.

edit: I haven't added it up or anything, but im almost certain at this point, the version with the TOT breakdown has been played more than the original arrangement.
I love it, and there is NO way it's been played more than the original, I always expect it now, but it's fucking awesome in my opinion. fav part of the show usually.

edit: actually, I might be wrong. If I'm not mistaken he started doing that in 2005ish, time just got away from me. But still, I think it's amazing live, cause, ya know, this song is about fucking.

GentlemanLoser
08-25-2013, 11:20 PM

Pretty much every edit of LITS gift footage sucks. AVOTT isn't that good too due to godawful color correction.

I will give you the one Starfuckers remix that sounds a little like the Gremlins title music. Actually, this album has some really good remixes on it, but it gets pulled down by some of the bad remixes, and lack of cohesion. I kinda wish there was a NIN remix albums thread that was active now. I want a reason to revisit.

The LITS footage, well I wouldn't say it sucks, but there was only so far you could go with the footage. (Probably why it was given away/Still like my Blu-ray).

You can say what you like about Sonoio, you can say what you will about his HTDA remix, but his remix of The Great Destroyer is bad-to-the-fucking-ass! Also, modwheelmood.

piggy
08-26-2013, 12:09 AM
I love it, and there is NO way it's been played more than the original, I always expect it now, but it's fucking awesome in my opinion. fav part of the show usually.

edit: actually, I might be wrong. If I'm not mistaken he started doing that in 2005ish, time just got away from me. But still, I think it's amazing live, cause, ya know, this song is about fucking.
I just did some rough figures since I didn't have anything better to do at the moment. From 1994-2000, it was played about 200 times and from 2005 to the present, it has been played over 300 times. AFAIK, there were not very many times during those years that it didn't have the TOT breakdown.

Sutekh
08-26-2013, 04:43 AM
You know what? I don't care what the consequences are, I don't care if I'm banned and never come back - you're a fucking asshole who, among several others here - has jumped massively to conclusions which are flat out wrong. I am in no way whatsoever "bigoted", and just because I mention that I have several gay friends, even THAT gets turned around on me, and used as more of your pathetic ammo to "shut me the fuck down"? It has become clear that what you guys have a problem with isn't ME, it's the insinuation that Trent might be a little gay. You just cannot stand it, so you build this huge wall of wrath, camouflage it in "DEFENDING THE GAYS" bravado, and try with all your might to burn me down. Fuck you. I am a HUGE NIN fan, and have been since the early 90's, I own every record, many t-shirts, posters, imports etc... so I have every right in the world to bring up - in a thread called 'Controversial NIN opinions' no less - the question of whether or not he might be a little gay. The tambourine thing was ONE example, it wasn't a great one, but it wasn't the crux of my statement - yet you guys run and ruuuuuuuuun with it to try to point out how fucking stupid I am instead of, I dunno, discussing the actual subject. But it's so much more fun to act like using the word 'fruity' is bigoted somehow, when....wait for it....ACTUAL GAY PEOPLE use the term themselves! Whooooaaaaa..... I didn't realize that suggesting there's a drop of gay in Trent would bring the self-righteous dickheads out of the woodwork like moths to the flame. And yet, there you are.
And seriously...Paula Deen? Just wow.

Ah so because some gay people use the term "fruity" in a non offensive way, this means it can never be crass or offensive when anyone else uses it. Ever.

you thick fucking twat... Look at the size of that essay you've posted. That's why you're still a twat - instead of considering if you might be wrong you just block out the criticisms with BLAH BLAH BLAH

it's not about being a white knight for the gays, it's about slagging off your backward remarks. Fruity this and gay tambourines... It's not even the suggestion of homophobia, it's just the tackiness and immature nature of the remark. But being a tasteless wanker you don't pick up on that and instead start whining about the excesses of the politically correct. You assume there's such truth in what you're saying that we're only disagreeing to show how right on we are. Incorrect, the bad reaction is because you are embarassing yourself with juvenile observations

ON TOPIC! - NIN are a better live act since TR sobered up (gasp). Some people cling to romantic notions of the 90s and drug fuelled chaos (which usually I'm fully signed up for), but really I think they are better these days, tons more energy

tw3rbz
08-26-2013, 08:36 AM
I just did some rough figures since I didn't have anything better to do at the moment. From 1994-2000, it was played about 200 times and from 2005 to the present, it has been played over 300 times. AFAIK, there were not very many times during those years that it didn't have the TOT breakdown.

Yea after i actually thought about it i figured i was wrong

Inkė
08-26-2013, 03:11 PM
I kind of miss some acoustic drum in Hesitation Marks. But I already thought that about HTDA.

Transfixed
08-26-2013, 05:27 PM
That's why you're still a twat - instead of considering if you might be wrong you just block out the criticisms with BLAH BLAH BLAH

You clearly haven't been following along. I phrased my question very cautiously initially. Said I didn't know what to call it. It was an intangible essence which was hard to describe. I defend myself because I know beyond any doubt that I'm not homophobic in the slightest effing bit, yet all you hyperventilating Defenders of The Kingdom come crashing down shrieking "homophobe!" at me because I used the word "fruity" for shits sake. There are MUCH worse terms and phrases I could use to describe gay people and you know it. But y'all got a huge self-righteous stick of Moral Justice so far up your ass that you felt the collective need to pile on and create an issue where that WAS NONE. So you could smash that issue to the ground and feel better about yourself for doing so. Well... do you?
The ironic thing is I don't give half a shit if trent is gay. I just thought the idea was interesting and that maybe some of it is showing through in some of this musical....choices, shall we say. And I made the mortal mistake of mentioning the tambourine, so I must be a massive dipshit who thinks tambourrine use = your must be gay. Nice conclusion jumping skills.
The other hilarious irony is you saying that I am blocking out the criticism, with....wait for it...."blah blah blah", which is you - doing just that. Blocking out what I actually said. Cute!
I'm way over this and had already moved on, but thanks for jumping in late with your brilliant 2 cents.

heroicraptor
08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
If you actually didn't give a shit about Trent being gay, then you wouldn't have brought it up. Because it doesn't fucking matter one single iota.

Stop the gay talk.

whiskeyboy
08-26-2013, 05:29 PM
All Time Low is the best NIN song EVER.

Joshua Lami
08-26-2013, 06:04 PM
You know whats really gay? Ben.

Halo Infinity
08-26-2013, 07:00 PM
When it came to Year Zero, I didn't really pay that much attention to the ARG as much as I liked Year Zero. Not to say that the ARG was bad, considering how well it was executed. And from the looks of it Year Zero can very well be the best NIN album of the 2000s, despite how much I listen to With Teeth, but that's just me.

eversonpoe
08-26-2013, 08:46 PM
When it came to Year Zero, I didn't really pay that much attention to the ARG as much as I liked Year Zero. Not to say that the ARG was bad, considering how well it was executed. And from the looks of it Year Zero can very well be the best NIN album of the 2000s, despite how much I listen to With Teeth, but that's just me.

i had the total opposite. i thought the ARG was amazing and i was so enthralled, and i really just don't like the album. there are three, maybe four songs i like, one or two i don't mind, and the rest is just "meh" to me. i've literally only listened to it all the way through once or twice. i always feel like i should feel guilty about it or something...but i don't.

Halo Infinity
08-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Nor should you, but I think I have an idea what that feels like. I caught myself feeling the same way over Ghosts I-IV.

piggy
08-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Yea after i actually thought about it i figured i was wrong
I know, I just thought I'd put that out there anyway in case anyone else was wondering about the numbers.

I knew there was something I forgot to put in my controversial opinions post and that was it. While I thought the ARG was interesting in a general sense, I personally didn't get into it at all.