PDA

View Full Version : Controversial Nine Inch Nails opinions

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

GlitchyFlame
06-14-2014, 03:54 PM
Closer to God >>> Closer
I know that most people here are sick and tired of Closer, and i'm like minded. But it would be amazing if he started playing CTG again. I know that Closer isn't a usual "sex song" because it's really about how the protagonist using sex to be able to feel something. But there's something sexy about CTG that the original lacks. I can't point my finger on it though. It also hits you harder and harder as the song progresses. It's miles ahead of Closer.

sheepdean
06-14-2014, 04:01 PM
In the same vein, Eraser (Polite) > Eraser

howdidislipinto
06-14-2014, 04:55 PM
The Slip is a damn good album.

thevoid99
06-14-2014, 09:30 PM

There's nothing controversial about that. I fucking dug that album.

Ryan
06-14-2014, 09:43 PM

It is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77nKUv6JwtI

zeegrizzle
06-14-2014, 10:47 PM
Damn ^^^ That was my very first NIN show. Lights in the Sky was my least favorite song on The Slip, but after hearing that piano live it completely changed into one of my favorite's... Bruuuh

hani
06-15-2014, 02:57 AM
LITS into CR into TFOUAD = bliss

sheepdean
06-15-2014, 03:03 AM
LITS into CR is one track and Trent made a mistake splitting the two

Ryan
06-15-2014, 05:07 PM
LITS into CR is one track and Trent made a mistake splitting the two

Lights In The Radiata?

sheepdean
06-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Lights In The Radiata?
Corona Radiata can be a lot of things, but one of them can be the glowing aura around a star/sun. So .. lights in the sky WOULD have a corona radiata.

hellospaceboy
06-15-2014, 06:17 PM
In the same vein, Eraser (Polite) > Eraser

My big thing was always Heresy (Version) > Heresy, I absolutely love that remix!

Scarlet Siren
06-16-2014, 06:07 PM
I'm sick of hearing THTF at shows. Please stop.

Ryan
06-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Me too. Please starp.

BenAkenobi
06-17-2014, 02:01 AM
Well, for me that one seems to be not quite an easy to perform and I'd like to see him put effort in songs.

Ryan
06-19-2014, 12:39 AM
What made it (THTF) become such a huge staple? Why couldn't it be that other single from With Teeth? That other third single with the scrapped video that is barely played live?

"Only" is a semi-staple...

WHY CAN'T THE PORPOISE BE A STAPLE?

^ That above line will go down in NIN/ETS history, methinks.

icklekitty
06-19-2014, 06:27 AM
I'm sick of hearing THTF at shows. Please stop.

The whole trio. Every time THTF starts I want to set myself on fire.

Deepvoid
06-19-2014, 08:42 AM
I really dig the new visuals for THTF. Thought it gave the song a second life.
The one thing I dislike is his phrasing for "it is black and it's hollow and it's cold". He always sounds weird signing that part. Nitpicking ...

Ryan
06-19-2014, 04:58 PM
He should at least remix it and call it The Fist That Fucks.

GlitchyFlame
06-19-2014, 09:49 PM
RWIB V2 > Hurt

Yeah, I said it.

eversonpoe
06-20-2014, 12:50 AM
RWIB V2 > Hurt

Yeah, I said it.

jesus christ, thank you.

Jon Griffin
06-20-2014, 01:40 PM
RWIB V2 > Hurt

Yeah, I said it.
RWIB album version as well. And ITT. And Zero-Sum. And SICNH.

Jon Griffin
06-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Speaking of Hurt, Trent totally missed a big opportunity with Tension by not ending with WISH/Black Noise. The ending gave me goosebumps and it would have been an amazing way to cap off the show. Play Hurt earlier in the encore.

Jon Griffin
06-20-2014, 01:48 PM
And on a completely unrelated note Getting Smaller is the worst song on WT and one of the worst in the NIN catalog.

implanted_microchip
06-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Having every live performance of Closer for almost 10 years now end with The Only Time breakdown has gotten really stale and cuts out arguably the best section of the original song.

elevenism
06-20-2014, 03:16 PM
And on a completely unrelated note Getting Smaller is the worst song on WT and one of the worst in the NIN catalog.

EVERYBODY says that shit...not very controversial. I actually think it's pretty badass.

RWIB album version as well. And ITT. And Zero-Sum. And SICNH.
Especially ITT. Out of the 4 times i've seen nin, that was the best closing track.

screwdriver
06-20-2014, 03:23 PM

that is just crazy talk
the guitar tone on that is great

that drone bridge is badass

I freaking love that song

worst song on WT is EASILY ... With Teeth

WorzelG
06-20-2014, 03:24 PM
I think there's a reason Hurt is played at the end of the end of the show, and this video is evidence - it at least has to be played after Head Like a Hole so people don't keep shouting head like a hole and piss Trent off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-Y_hH0-g

Maybe the US is more respectful than some European festival but I remember some incident involving a lighter happened somewhere in America?

elevenism
06-20-2014, 03:30 PM
that is just crazy talk
the guitar tone on that is great

that drone bridge is badass

I freaking love that song

worst song on WT is EASILY ... With Teeth

Awitha Teetha?
I'm a fan boy to the core, but i'll agree with you on that. I DO adore the "i can not go thru this again" part.
A WITH A TEETH-UH!
The only NIN song that i actually dislike is that fucking GOD AWFUL capital g house remix. Now THAT was a bad track.

Here's a bit of controversy...i think i like YZ better than TDS. And it's not due to my age...i bought both of them when they came out. But it's not just the album i like, mind you...i'm including the awesome experience of the ARG, the artwork, and the live production of the period.

I can say for sure that i liked seeing NIN 2008 better than NIN 1994.

weeblegrrl
06-20-2014, 03:48 PM
I think there's a reason Hurt is played at the end of the end of the show, and this video is evidence - it at least has to be played after Head Like a Hole so people don't keep shouting head like a hole and piss Trent off!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kA_-Y_hH0-g

Maybe the US is more respectful than some European festival but I remember some incident involving a lighter happened somewhere in America?

THESE FUCKERS!!!!!!! THere's some of them every GODDAM SHOW!!!!!
There's a certain sect of nin inch nails fans at the show, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. They only care about PRETTY HATE MACHINE. once sin starts they freak out!! Then once the song is over they turn into fucking rocks just taking up space the rest of the show. PLAY HEAD LIKE A HOLE MAN YAAA PLAY THAT ONE I"M A FUCKING MOUTH BREATHING MORON. I wish there was a trap door underneath them and I could just hit it and suck them out of the room so that people that give a shit about the last 7 ALBUMS HE'S MADE SINCE THEN can have some goddam room! (i'm just kidding I love you all)

elevenism
06-20-2014, 04:23 PM
THESE FUCKERS!!!!!!! THere's some of them every GODDAM SHOW!!!!!
There's a certain sect of nin inch nails fans at the show, YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE. They only care about PRETTY HATE MACHINE. once sin starts they freak out!! Then once the song is over they turn into fucking rocks just taking up space the rest of the show. PLAY HEAD LIKE A HOLE MAN YAAA PLAY THAT ONE I"M A FUCKING MOUTH BREATHING MORON. I wish there was a trap door underneath them and I could just hit it and suck them out of the room so that people that give a shit about the last 7 ALBUMS HE'S MADE SINCE THEN can have some goddam room! (i'm just kidding I love you all)

They are probably the same fuckers who screamed at Page and Plant to "PLAY STAIRWAY!" when i saw them in 98.
There wasn't a snowball's chance in hell of them playing stairway to heaven, but these fuckers wouldn't shut up screaming and whining for it for the entirety of the show, while the band played Babe I'm Gonna Leave You, No Quarter, and Since I've Been Loving You, among other amazing songs.

screwdriver
06-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Awitha Teetha?
I'm a fan boy to the core, but i'll agree with you on that. I DO adore the "i can not go thru this again" part.
A WITH A TEETH-UH!
The only NIN song that i actually dislike is that fucking GOD AWFUL capital g house remix. Now THAT was a bad track.

Here's a bit of controversy...i think i like YZ better than TDS. And it's not due to my age...i bought both of them when they came out. But it's not just the album i like, mind you...i'm including the awesome experience of the ARG, the artwork, and the live production of the period.

I can say for sure that i liked seeing NIN 2008 better than NIN 1994.

NO DUDE, JUST NO
that capital g remix is AWESOME "push the button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

and also I *still* cannot get into YZ, no matter how much I try. the songs live work alright, but the album is eh for me. Maybe if I had been into the ARG it would've been cool, but I'm so bored by things like that -- so just evaluating it as an album, it doesn't work for me

elevenism
06-20-2014, 11:46 PM
NO DUDE, JUST NO
that capital g remix is AWESOME "push the button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

and also I *still* cannot get into YZ, no matter how much I try. the songs live work alright, but the album is eh for me. Maybe if I had been into the ARG it would've been cool, but I'm so bored by things like that -- so just evaluating it as an album, it doesn't work for me

wow...are you fucking serious about that capital g remix? that is awesome, but year zero is eh?
wow dude.

BRoswell
06-21-2014, 12:18 PM
Into The Void+Slipping Away ending > Into The Void or Slipping Away on their own

screwdriver
06-21-2014, 01:03 PM
wow...are you fucking serious about that capital g remix? that is awesome, but year zero is eh?
wow dude.

I am 100% serious. The YZ remix album >>>> YZ

eversonpoe
06-21-2014, 05:40 PM
Into The Void+Slipping Away ending > Into The Void or Slipping Away on their own

wait, what? i haven't heard this... SHOW ME!

BRoswell
06-21-2014, 05:50 PM
wait, what? i haven't heard this... SHOW ME!

You have a PM.

elevenism
06-21-2014, 11:15 PM
i always thought those two songs sounded like they were cut into two pieces at birth. (Into The Void and Slipping Away)
screwdriver , are we talking about the house track that says drop drop drop the bomb? i just...good lord, i have to commend you for having interesting tastes. but what you are saying just blows my mind...i think yz remixed is the worst nin remix album, and that capital g remix is...good lord, it's honestly the ONLY nin song i can honestly say that i flat out dislike.

to each his own, i suppose. i can't stand house music in general, so that might be part of it.
and there are a couple of good tracks on YZ remixed, don't get me wrong. i like the TGD remix. my favorite thing about it was the multitracks...such a novel idea.

I think the ARG definitely enhanced YZ. I can't objectively evaluate the record because i followed every bit of the ARG that i could, and it certainly enhanced the experience...it actually slightly terrified me, but in a good way.

Space Suicide
06-21-2014, 11:40 PM
i always thought those two songs sounded like they were cut into two pieces at birth. (Into The Void and Slipping Away)
@screwdriver (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=380) , are we talking about the house track that says drop drop drop the bomb? i just...good lord, i have to commend you for having interesting tastes. but what you are saying just blows my mind...i think yz remixed is the worst nin remix album, and that capital g remix is...good lord, it's honestly the ONLY nin song i can honestly say that i flat out dislike.

to each his own, i suppose. i can't stand house music in general, so that might be part of it.
and there are a couple of good tracks on YZ remixed, don't get me wrong. i like the TGD remix. my favorite thing about it was the multitracks...such a novel idea.

I think the ARG definitely enhanced YZ. I can't objectively evaluate the record because i followed every bit of the ARG that i could, and it certainly enhanced the experience...it actually slightly terrified me, but in a good way.

I love Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D but I HATE the Me, I'm Not remix by Olof Dreijer. Boring piece of shit that is obscenely long for no reason.

BenAkenobi
06-22-2014, 01:06 AM
I love Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D but I HATE the Me, I'm Not remix by Olof Dreijer. Boring piece of shit that is obscenely long for no reason.

Better than AVOTT String Quartet abomination

Inkė
06-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Lights in the sky > Hurt

Copy of a is the best song from Hesitation Marks.

I love the live version of The hand that feeds. I really do. The part right after "but I keep holding on and on and on..." is a killer, it works everytime. So yeah, it's a staple and all, but I am one of those who are happy with it.

ophelia_
06-22-2014, 09:33 PM
I am 100% serious. The YZ remix album >>>> YZ

Yeah, I like the YZ remix album over the standard one. Thought I was the only one!

Joy Prevention Hotline
06-23-2014, 12:48 AM
Better than AVOTT String Quartet abomination
GRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH. Take that back.

Kronos was cool before being cool was cool.

icecream
06-23-2014, 01:40 AM
If we are talking remixes, THTF (DFA) is better than the album version.

BenAkenobi
06-23-2014, 01:57 AM
GRAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH. Take that back.

Kronos was cool before being cool was cool.

What does their legacy have to do with a shitty first 1/3 of the track? Like, we should adore the chance to hear their tuning of instruments before actual music comes in?

r_z
06-23-2014, 07:13 AM
If we are talking remixes, THTF (DFA) is better than the album version.

especially the version where they left off the vocals...

implanted_microchip
06-23-2014, 07:34 AM
On remixes:

The Day the World Went Away (Quiet) > TDTWWA

Only El-P mix > Only

All the Pigs, All Lined Up > MotP

Find My Way Oneohtrix Point Never Mix > FMW

Gunshots by Computer > Hyperpower!

The Great Destroyer Remix > The Great Destroyer

All Time Low Todd Rundgren mix > All Time Low

I guess what I'm saying is I really love the official remix output, and then there are a bunch of fan mixes I could name that I probably listen to more than the originals or at least enjoy more than the originals; specifically the remixer Reaps is really fantastic and has done some amazing things with NIN. Did anyone here ever hear the Beautiful Nightmare remix of Head Down? No clue who made it but it trumps the original in every way.

hani
06-23-2014, 08:18 AM
I don't know if it's just me but if I was given a chance to go back in time and see one 21st century NIN show, I would take L:WT 2006 or P2007 over Fragility every time. is it just me?

fillow
06-23-2014, 08:58 AM
^^
No, because 2000 was still 20th century.

hani
06-24-2014, 11:57 AM
^^
No, because 2000 was still 20th century.

ok, sorry, you know what I meant

GlitchyFlame
06-24-2014, 02:48 PM
Alessandro is the best live NIN band member (Besides Trent of course). Better than Robin, Charlie, Aaron, Jeordie, etc.

There's just something about his personality, skills, and creativity that makes him different. He puts his own spin on things.

icecream
06-24-2014, 07:44 PM
Alessandro is the best live NIN band member (Besides Trent of course). Better than Robin, Charlie, Aaron, Jeordie, etc.

There's just something about his personality, skills, and creativity that makes him different. He puts his own spin on things.
Ilan Rubin is pretty good too, I like him as much as Alessandro.

elevenism
06-25-2014, 09:30 PM

i love alessandro too, with his hissing noises during MOTP and such.

conversely, i don't think Jeordie has the chops to be playing with nin.

hani
06-26-2014, 08:43 AM
i love alessandro too, with his hissing noises during MOTP and such.

his keyboard stomping during MoTP on BYIT was what made me love him so much.

conversely, i don't think Jeordie has the chops to be playing with nin.

I beg to differ, vide his bass on Burn live version and he's awkward headbang during TBCD on BYIT

*I refer to BYIT a lot, sorry*

elevenism
06-26-2014, 09:57 AM
I beg to differ, vide his bass on Burn live version and he's awkward headbang during TBCD on BYIT

*I refer to BYIT a lot, sorry*

i just watched BYIT, and in retrospect, that is probably my favorite NIN lineup ever.
Josh Freese is the best drummer this side of Neil Peart. Aaron North's (unfortunately and apparently very real) insanity on stage gives Robin a run for his money. And then you have the aforementioned Alessandro Cortini. And Jeordie isn't a BAD bass player...it's just that he hits a couple of wrong notes on Burn...and it's NOT THAT FUCKING HARD to play!
But in retrospect, he ain't all bad. He has a nice tone and scary backup vocals.

and screwdriver , i listened to as much of that capital g remix as i could handle, and i like it...for about 25 seconds. the part between 1:20 and 1:45, where it could possibly like...not be house music? what the remixer does with the vocal there is really cool.
But then, it says "drop drop drop drop..." and the lyrics go off rhythm...and then it turns into GOD AWFUL, TERRIBLE house music...the kind of house music that literally sends me running out of the house/trance tent to find the drum and bass tent. :p
But, it DID get NIN out there on the house dance floor...i give it that.

*nothing wrong with referring to BYIT by me, i fucking LOVE it!"

ok, time for a controversial opinion.

That's What I Get KICKS ASS! it's not whiny to me...i've always thought that backwards cymbal that comes in at :52 to be fairly disturbing. I always thought it was like knives rubbing together, in trent's hands, as he prepares to go slice some people.

Sarah K
06-26-2014, 10:50 AM
With Teeth is one of my favorite songs! When all the NOISE comes back in after that quiet break, I can actually FEEL tension building up and then releasing. I fucking LOVE that song. Goddamn.

sheepdean
06-26-2014, 11:08 AM
With Teeth is one of my favorite songs! When all the NOISE comes back in after that quiet break, I can actually FEEL tension building up and then releasing. I fucking LOVE that song. Goddamn.
I'd love to hear it done Still-style, I get that he doesn't do it live any more because it kinda breaks the feel of a set, but a slower set would totally fit it back in.

eversonpoe
06-26-2014, 12:57 PM

thank you thank you thank you that is one of my favorite noisy moments in any NIN song. it's SO GOOD. and the first time i listened to the album, that startled me so much because i had turned up the volume significantly during the (gorgeous) quiet part.

Sarah K
06-26-2014, 01:12 PM
Also, that third bar after the noise part is over where everything kinda drops out for a moment, besides Trent... I love that little bit for some reason. It is even more prevalent on the BYIT DVD.

It's the little things. <3

elevenism
06-26-2014, 02:07 PM
@Sarah K (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3236) , @eversonpoe (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=588) , @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) ....
i feel you all on with teeth.
i adore the "i cannot go through this again" refrain. that part is already still-style.
And then the "this time i'm not coming back," hell yeah, the way it comes back in so heavy.
That one, LINE (one of my top 10...maybe even five...nin songs,) YNWYA, and Please, just fucking NAIL various aspects of addiction and recovery. Hell, half of NIN's songs do, for that matter. I have to wonder how many of us here have wrestled with addiction.
You guys know i still take pills, but good god, the drinking. It's a fucking MIRACLE that it's over and i'm alive.
There was a LONG ass time where i couldn't fathom going even one day without drinking. WT helped me through some of that...it was like, "Well shit, trent's giving it a shot!"

So here's a semi-controversial opinion that i'm sure my rambling ass has brought up a couple of times...
What would everyone think of a "Still" style TOUR?
I hope and pray that we will get this...maybe in about ten years? Seven?
It would be the most beautiful, perfect way for NIN to age gracefully, in my opinion.
It took me a long while to string together even a month,

Edit: that last line...how do i keep winding up with random non-sequiturs in my posts? i guess i edit them too much. and i guess you guys just assume i'm nuts anyway and don't ask me about it.:p

kel
06-26-2014, 03:14 PM
the director's cut of "survivalism" is nin's best video. it's so fucking brilliant.

BRoswell
06-26-2014, 03:44 PM
the director's cut of "survivalism" is nin's best video. it's so fucking brilliant.

I'd say third best, but I agree. By the way, is there a thread to rank all the videos?

eversonpoe
06-26-2014, 04:09 PM
I'd say third best, but I agree. By the way, is there a thread to rank all the videos?

no! START ONE! that'd be great. i don't think we have even a thread generally discussing the videos.

Joy Prevention Hotline
06-27-2014, 12:40 PM
So here's a semi-controversial opinion that i'm sure my rambling ass has brought up a couple of times...
What would everyone think of a "Still" style TOUR?
I hope and pray that we will get this...maybe in about ten years? Seven?
Why wait that long? Do it next year!

Kyle
06-27-2014, 01:04 PM
no! START ONE! that'd be great. i don't think we have even a thread generally discussing the videos.
It would be a big fight between CBH and Deep for bottom spot.

hani
06-27-2014, 02:48 PM

5) Closer (or MoTP, can't decide)
4) Into the Void
3) The Perfect Drug
2) Only

1) Discipline (dir. Meathead)

implanted_microchip
06-27-2014, 03:30 PM
5) Closer (or MoTP, can't decide)
4) Into the Void
3) The Perfect Drug
2) Only

1) Discipline (dir. Meathead)

There's a thread for this now, just so you know. Also +1 for Discipline

GlitchyFlame
06-27-2014, 04:00 PM
Getting Smaller is a stand-out track on WT.

In the same vein TLBTB is also a stand-out track, but that may just be my nostalgia talking though.

hani
06-28-2014, 05:56 AM
Getting Smaller is AWESOME, although I think Grohl could bang it through Rubin style, make it a bit more agressive, considering the small break in the rhythm during choruses

elevenism
06-28-2014, 09:08 PM
It would be a big fight between CBH and Deep for bottom spot.
i like both of those videos, especially CBH.

Omega
06-29-2014, 02:52 AM
Hesitation Marks>YZ.

Fred
06-29-2014, 03:05 AM
I partly agree, even though I love YZ. Fact of the matter is that a substantial part of my emotional response when I listen to YZ stems from the ARG. The mental images projected by those songs come from all those nightmarish websites. It's a great album, but I think it only becomes a true masterpiece when you add the interactive dimension to it.

HM, on the other hand, is fully capable of standing alone as - possibly - the best NIN album since The Fragile.

elevenism
06-29-2014, 03:13 AM
I partly agree, even though I love YZ. Fact of the matter is that a substantial part of my emotional response when I listen to YZ stems from the ARG. The mental images projected by those songs come from all those nightmarish websites. It's a great album, but I think it only becomes a true masterpiece when you add the interactive dimension to it.

HM, on the other hand, is fully capable of standing alone as - possibly - the best NIN album since The Fragile.

I agree with the YZ thing.
I've tried SO hard to explain the story of YZ to people so many times, but it's pretty much impossible. Year Zero was, as you said, is a true masterpiece, with the websites and the buildup. It's a multimedia masterpiece. On its own, it's just a really good album.

HM is definitely fucking awesome on its own. It took me months for HM to really open itself up to me, and that, to me, is the mark of an aurally DEEP, THICK record. I was listening to Copy Of A or CBH in a car with a nice sound system turned up really loud, and heard things i hadn't noticed before. There is a LOT going on in pretty much every song on that album...so many lovely sonic layers.

elevenism
06-29-2014, 03:16 AM
Why wait that long? Do it next year!

sorry for the double post, but i want more massive NIN lightshows and rare songs before the Still tour.
I REALLY, honestly think we will get a Still tour. I think trent knows how to age gracefully, and i think the stage will always call to him.

Omega
06-29-2014, 03:41 AM
Is HM>WT? Or Ghosts?

The only song on HM I simply cannot like is Came Back..I really just dislike that song. YZ was too political for me, not really a big fan.

BenAkenobi
06-29-2014, 05:06 AM
For my taste, HM has way too much whispering. The moments when he really sings are so few and far between they're almost negligible. And people here keep saying they enjoy this kind of vocals, they even say they've been waiting years for this exact record. :confused: Where was Trent during recording? In another room?

tony.parente
06-29-2014, 06:13 AM
i want more massive NIN lightshows

This is my problem with modern NIN shows, I don't see NIN so the band can be covered by a fucking screen half the show.

WorzelG
06-29-2014, 12:59 PM
This is my problem with modern NIN shows, I don't see NIN so the band can be covered by a fucking screen half the show.
This really wasn't the case in Europe, except for ilan behind the screen for a minute or so in eraser before the screen rose. You could pretty much see the band the entire time

Khrz
06-29-2014, 01:16 PM
the perps of attending a stripped-down version of the show...

ziltoid
06-29-2014, 03:02 PM
Closer/head like a hole and all variants of said songs should be replaced with reptile for every single show. Honestly how many times has reptile been played live? A handful of times and for god sakes play some lesser played songs.

botley
06-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Honestly how many times has reptile been played live? A handful of times
Three hundred and sixty-eight times (http://www.nintourhistory.com/song.php?songid=25).

implanted_microchip
06-29-2014, 04:21 PM
Closer/head like a hole and all variants of said songs should be replaced with reptile for every single show. Honestly how many times has reptile been played live? A handful of times and for god sakes play some lesser played songs.

To be fair we've now had what, 2 full tours without Closer being played? Not to mention that on the Wave Goodbye shows it was far less common. I agree that there's always room for more less played songs, but it's not like Closer is anywhere near as much of a staple as something like The Hand That Feeds or Hurt is.

ziltoid
06-29-2014, 05:06 PM
Nifty website, I like it a lot.
I meant in the last 8 years. Excluding The Self Destruct tours.
Also he could replace hurt with In This Twilight.

Krazy
06-29-2014, 05:19 PM

It's been played quite a bit since the start of LITS. It might even be the most played non-staple song over that time period.

Khrz
06-30-2014, 12:24 AM

Well it played in Paris for instance, a couple months ago.

God it was awesome. Too bad about frowny bear Trent.

Omega
06-30-2014, 12:52 AM
Replace Hurt with ITT? I like Hurt..wouldn't want it to be replaced.

icecream
06-30-2014, 01:11 AM
I wish they would start playing the Ghost Piggy again!

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-01-2014, 01:01 PM
Nothing can stoppa me now.

Sallos
07-01-2014, 03:18 PM
Hesitation Marks>YZ.

nothing controversial about that.

elevenism
07-01-2014, 07:12 PM

Shit, i don't give a FUCK if the band is obscured part of the time. I want to see amazing visuals.
I REALLY hope trent made a fuck-ton of money from the beats deal so he can bring another huge light show.
LITS was a fucking religious experience for me.

That being said, i'm also the guy asking for a stripped down still-type show. I'm a fan boy and i want it all!
I feel quite certain that we will get both.

Fred
07-02-2014, 10:25 AM

I'd rather hear Piggy (Nothing Can Stop Me Now). Or, even better, no Piggy at all; I was so relieved they didn't do the stale MoTP/Piggy-combo in Copenhagen last time. They played SICNH as the latter song. Huge sigh of relief.

Microwave Jellyfish
07-02-2014, 04:32 PM
I can get behind that. Really strange to see how so many actually want HLAH and Hurt gone from the setlists, yet they have no problem with MOTP and Piggy.

elevenism
07-02-2014, 08:26 PM
I can get behind that. Really strange to see how so many actually want HLAH and Hurt gone from the setlists, yet they have no problem with MOTP and Piggy.

i swear, i don't even thing TRENT likes playing HLAH anymore.
I'm tired of MOTP too. I don't want hurt removed from the setlist, i just can't handle the sinking feeling it gives me as the closer.
And piggy (PLEASE don't hit me everyone) has always bored me live.

icecream
07-02-2014, 10:43 PM
We are all big NIN fans though. If someone who only has one or two NIN albums didn't hear HLAH or MotP live, they would be upset. NIN won't leave them off the setlist. Can we all stop talking about how NIN live staples are overplayed?

icklekitty
07-03-2014, 06:21 AM
i swear, i don't even thing TRENT likes playing HLAH anymore.
I'm tired of MOTP too. I don't want hurt removed from the setlist, i just can't handle the sinking feeling it gives me as the closer.
And piggy (PLEASE don't hit me everyone) has always bored me live.

That's the main thing. "oh, HLAH and Hurt, time to go home". If he opened with Hurt (weirdness aside) it would totally change things up. We wouldn't know what was happening next.

elevenism
07-03-2014, 06:52 AM
That's the main thing. "oh, HLAH and Hurt, time to go home". If he opened with Hurt (weirdness aside) it would totally change things up. We wouldn't know what was happening next.

it's funny you say that, the Mrs was suggesting that very thing last night.
I think it would be awesome if they opened with closer and then went into hurt.

I went to see Rush one time and they opened with Tom Sawyer, which was awesome...it was like "if you're here for this, here it is...you can leave now if you like. we are going to play whatever the fuck we want now." :p

Khrz
07-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Closer then hurt would be like starting the concert at full speed only to bring it to a screeching halt right at the second song, no ? Hurt would be a great intro, I agree, but its place is either at the very beginning, as a bridge in the middle of the show, or at the end of it. Anywhere else either kills the show dead in its tracks, or would render the emotional charge of Hurt completely powerless.

elevenism
07-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Closer then hurt would be like starting the concert at full speed only to bring it to a screeching halt right at the second song, no

Yeah, you're right.
Okay, intro with some nasty ass version of Closer from the closer to god EP.
Play hurt as a bridge.
Close with The Great Below followed by In This Twilight.

When i was at LITS, it was so fucking perfect, but it appeared that hurt would be the last song. I HATE it as the last song because it is SO FUCKING HOPELESS! It negates any positivity felt from the show (for me.)
Then, they started playing ITT...and i admit, i cried tears of...IDK what...but not sad ones.
Granted, ITT is kinda dark, but it has a LOT of positive lines, especially "we can find a better place."

pinata89
07-03-2014, 09:45 AM
Closer then hurt would be like starting the concert at full speed only to bring it to a screeching halt right at the second song, no ? Hurt would be a great intro, I agree, but its place is either at the very beginning, as a bridge in the middle of the show, or at the end of it. Anywhere else either kills the show dead in its tracks, or would render the emotional charge of Hurt completely powerless.

For me, the only version of "Hurt" that maintains the substance the song intends to convey is the one that fades in directly after the "The Downward Spiral" (e.g. album version). In my opinion, this is the only way the song is as impacting as it needs to be.

If there were an ideal live version of "Hurt," it would be middle of the set (when TR tones it down for a few songs), TR playing a piano rendition of the song, one spotlight, with the only "heavy" part coming in for the final "...I will find a way" portion (drums/guitar/abrasive lights). It looks and sounds marvelous in my head, but I would love to see this happen in reality.

botley
07-03-2014, 09:52 AM
The phrase "Ghost Piggy" just makes me think of this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13044862/2014-06-30%2022.28.30.jpg

icklekitty
07-03-2014, 10:57 AM
Make the ending less predictable is my basic point. I don't care how. I just want that last 10 minutes of gig to be more exciting rather than planning my dinner that night.

icecream
07-03-2014, 02:10 PM
The phrase "Ghost Piggy" just makes me think of this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13044862/2014-06-30%2022.28.30.jpg
What is that lol?

elevenism
07-03-2014, 03:53 PM
Make the ending less predictable is my basic point. I don't care how. I just want that last 10 minutes of gig to be more exciting rather than planning my dinner that night.

Make the whole thing completely unpredictable! icklekitty , you've been around a long time. that's what you really want, isn't it?
i know that casual fans would be pissed if they didn't get the songs they recognized, but good god, wouldn't it be incredible to hear trent play a different set EVERY NIGHT?
You know, that's what pearl jam does.

Some bands do shit like that and some bands don't. My parents went to see bowie when he was doing the tin machine thing and they ONly played songs off the tin machine album (which was a nasty permutation of grunge rock with, of course, Bowie at the helm.)

Like i said earlier about the lights...i hope trent made an obscene amount of money with the beats deal. I want him to be able to do WHATEVER HE WANTS.

ethan829
07-03-2014, 10:47 PM
What is that lol?

Monkey Island

icecream
07-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Sorry botley. My knowledge of old school videogames failed me

Jon Griffin
07-04-2014, 06:59 AM
AVOTT is boring, one of my least favorite tracks on YZ.

WorzelG
07-05-2014, 03:13 PM
I've just been reading the MTV v-jay Kennedy's book on the nineties and she says that Madonna was leaving messages at Nothing Studios for a collaboration I assume but Trent would never respond with some bollocks excuse - anyway my controversial opinion is that I'm FAR more intrigued as to what that would sound like than Tapeworm which I never really cared about ever

slave2thewage
07-05-2014, 04:00 PM
^Apparently she wanted him to work on the Ray of Light album, which would have been AMAZE.

HurtinMinorKey
07-11-2014, 11:43 AM
I think TR should have given up on NIN and stayed with HTDA. Mostly because I think his voice is shot and he should use Mariqueen as the lead vocalist for new material going forward.

Frozen Beach
07-11-2014, 08:32 PM
I don't really like the song And All That Could Have Been. To me, the song never really takes off and feels like it plods along.
Also, the way the line "I could have been!" was sung makes me cringe. It sounds so forced and weak.

Charmingly Miserable
07-11-2014, 08:54 PM
I've just been reading the MTV v-jay Kennedy's book on the nineties and she says that Madonna was leaving messages at Nothing Studios for a collaboration I assume but Trent would never respond with some bollocks excuse - anyway my controversial opinion is that I'm FAR more intrigued as to what that would sound like than Tapeworm which I never really cared about ever
Mid 90s Madonna was cool. That would have been an awesome collab. Someone needs to mashup Human Nature with Closer.

I think TR should have given up on NIN and stayed with HTDA. Mostly because I think his voice is shot and he should use Mariqueen as the lead vocalist for new material going forward.
That is controversial.

Inkė
07-12-2014, 01:39 PM

This is controversial, but I agree with it. I think he really wanted to end NIN after the 2009 shows. But HTDA wasn't as exciting as NIN... I don't think so either... But it was a great idea to start again after all these years, with a new band. His voice is not the issue. He just can't let it go. (youtube.com/watch?v=0wkJn08-tjM)

Vertigo
07-12-2014, 02:45 PM
I think TR should have given up on NIN and stayed with HTDA. Mostly because I think his voice is shot

I'd been thinking that during NIN's hiatus, but Trent seems to have found a new larynx since the Wave Goodbye tour. Hesitation Marks' singing is strong and varied, and throughout the tour cycle he's sounded better than he has since Fragility. My (controversial?) opinion.

screwdriver
07-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Disagree on the voice thing

I generally agree I'd like to see more HTDA

BUT… I'm much happier with the possibility of Hesitation Marks as a last statement from NIN than The Slip. I love both, but HM is fucking killer and up there in the NIN pantheon

HurtinMinorKey
07-12-2014, 05:07 PM
This is controversial, but I agree with it. I think he really wanted to end NIN after the 2009 shows. But HTDA wasn't as exciting as NIN... I don't think so either... But it was a great idea to start again after all these years, with a new band. His voice is not the issue. He just can't let it go. (http://youtube.com/watch?v=0wkJn08-tjM)

I don't think it was that HTDA was less exciting(for him) as much as it was Columbia telling him he'd make more money releasing music under the NIN moniker. But either way, he could/should have stuck with Mariqueen. But who knows, maybe she didn't want that.

kel
07-12-2014, 07:28 PM
WORD. erotica to bedtime stories to ray of light -- the best, most experimental era. some of my favorites (namely erotica).

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-12-2014, 07:58 PM
I don't think it was that HTDA was less exciting(for him) as much as it was Columbia telling him he'd make more money releasing music under the NIN moniker. But either way, he could/should have stuck with Mariqueen. But who knows, maybe she didn't want that.
Who's to say he won't go right back to work on HTDA after this tour (and Gone Girl) are over? If anything, he seems determined to avoid boredom — after two soundtracks and 1.5 HTDA albums, it was time to do some NIN again. Not sure it's necessary to ascribe financial motives to everything.

WORD. erotica to bedtime stories to ray of light -- the best, most experimental era. some of my favorites (namely erotica).
Bedtime Stories is the only Madonna album I ever bought — didn't regret it, either.

kel
07-12-2014, 08:00 PM
it's fantastic and weird and all over the place genre-wise. not as groundbreaking as erotica, but an understated great record.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-12-2014, 08:15 PM
I'm putting Erotica and Ray of Light in my Spotify queue right now. :)

HurtinMinorKey
07-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Who's to say he won't go right back to work on HTDA after this tour (and Gone Girl) are over? If anything, he seems determined to avoid boredom — after two soundtracks and 1.5 HTDA albums, it was time to do some NIN again. Not sure it's necessary to ascribe financial motives to everything.

http://www.american-buddha.com/ghostbust.84e1.gif

WorzelG
07-13-2014, 12:52 AM
I'd been thinking that during NIN's hiatus, but Trent seems to have found a new larynx since the Wave Goodbye tour. Hesitation Marks' singing is strong and varied, and throughout the tour cycle he's sounded better than he has since Fragility. My (controversial?) opinion.
When we got back from the recent London show, my sister put the Beside You in Time DVD on and we both thought his voice sounds a lot stronger now than then. I wonder if it's because as time goes on more songs are added to the catalogue that suit his current voice more

Vertigo
07-13-2014, 02:31 AM
It was a bit hard to tell in London whether his voice was just that good, or if it was because the sound system ludicrously amplified the high-frequencies. Made him sound a couple of octaves higher than usual; it was funny to hear PHM-era Trent singing Copy Of A.

Senateguard33
07-14-2014, 02:45 PM
80s and 90s Madonna rocked. Her newer stuff is just ok.

pinata89
07-17-2014, 12:01 AM
80s and 90s Madonna rocked. Her newer stuff is just ok.

I think she still brings it. Broke a lot of social/pop norms throughout her career, and I find that pretty cool. I attribute much of my fandom to my parents beating her music into my head as a child, but she is definitely on my bucket list to see live before she throws in the towel!

And to fulfill my post requirements...
Controversial NIN Opinion: "Leaving Hope" deserved a spot on The Fragile... I'm not sure where I would have placed it on the album, but I think TR could have incorporated it somewhere on the right disc. The other side of me is content with the amount of instrumental tracks on the album, and could honestly find myself feeling (onset) bloated with the addition of one more. But I don't like the idea of replacing one of the already existing tunes, so I don't know....#ViciousCircle

BRoswell
07-17-2014, 12:12 AM
Controversial NIN Opinion: "Leaving Hope" deserved a spot on The Fragile... I'm not sure where I would have placed it on the album, but I think TR could have incorporated it somewhere on the right disc.

Assuming it was created during those sessions and not as part of the ideas Trent had for One Hour Photo, of course.

Kyle
07-17-2014, 12:13 AM
I don't think Leaving Hope was a Fragile outtake. I was under the impression the instrumentals on Still were from that aborted movie soundtrack he was working on and the only actual Fragile outtake was AATCHB.

edit - I typed this before the above post showed up for me lol.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I don't think Leaving Hope was a Fragile outtake. I was under the impression the instrumentals on Still were from that aborted movie soundtrack he was working on and the only actual Fragile outtake was AATCHB.

edit - I typed this before the above post showed up for me lol.
What about Adrift and at Peace?

dvdglss
07-17-2014, 01:02 PM
What about Adrift and at Peace?

I believe Trent mentioned it is a continuation of La Mer. Not a part two of it, but thematically.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-17-2014, 04:33 PM
I believe Trent mentioned it is a continuation of La Mer. Not a part two of it, but thematically.
To me that always sounded like the track was a leftover from the Fragile sessions proper, but I can see how it could be interpreted the other way. Hmm.

Even if it turns out that the One Hour Photo tracks came into existence after the album was completed, can they be considered anything but loose threads from The Fragile?

dvdglss
07-18-2014, 03:39 PM
To me that always sounded like the track was a leftover from the Fragile sessions proper, but I can see how it could be interpreted the other way. Hmm.

Even if it turns out that the One Hour Photo tracks came into existence after the album was completed, can they be considered anything but loose threads from The Fragile?

http://www.ninwiki.com/images/e/e4/LM-AAAP.gif

elementroejoy
07-18-2014, 07:54 PM
I don't know if it's controversial but the Came Back Haunted video is fucking awful

Kyle
07-18-2014, 08:07 PM
I don't know if it's controversial but the Came Back Haunted video is fucking awful

I'm pretty sure that's not controversial.

mfte
07-25-2014, 12:22 PM
-Starfuckers is fine where it is. Should be a setlist regular again.

-So does The Collector

-I don't know if it's tasteless, but I would really like to hear 'Just Do it' some day if it was ever recorded at all. And, of course, 'The Beauty of the Drug'.
-Gave Up should be retired from setlists.

I wish he would play more rockers from WT. I was really dissapointed with that record when it came out for reason. As of late I've grown to really appreciate the immediate nature of that album and consider it the last great vocal performance from Trent. WT is the last album to feature that famous Reznor bark and snarl that has been sadly missing from all subsequent releases.

I dont think Just Do It was ever recorded... I think i remember a thing that said Flood refused to record that song, or work on that song because it was so direct in its message.

HurtinMinorKey
07-25-2014, 06:43 PM
I wish TR would play Everything Live. For better or worse, i think it was the most sincere song on HM, and the fact that he got so flustered by initial reactions was disappointing.

sheepdean
07-25-2014, 07:02 PM
I dont think Just Do It was ever recorded... I think i remember a thing that said Flood refused to record that song, or work on that song because it was so direct in its message.
It wasn't finished, but it was recorded in some form. From the two real mentions we have( http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=148 and http://www.musicianguide.com/biographies/1608002660/Nine-Inch-Nails.html ), it seems it existed but was pulled by Flood before it was in final album form. Though, considering it's about suicide and the title track is about suicide, I wouldn't be shocked if at least musical elements from JDI entered TDS

katara
07-26-2014, 08:06 AM
It wasn't finished, but it was recorded in some form. From the two real mentions we have( http://www.theninhotline.net/archives/articles/manager/display_article.php?id=148 and http://www.musicianguide.com/biographies/1608002660/Nine-Inch-Nails.html ), it seems it existed but was pulled by Flood before it was in final album form. Though, considering it's about suicide and the title track is about suicide, I wouldn't be shocked if at least musical elements from JDI entered TDS
I always thought it was pulled from the album when Nike stopped sponsoring NIN after they heard the TDS demo.

hani
07-26-2014, 01:30 PM
I came to realize that Head Down is probably the best thing Trent did after The Fragile. is it controversial?

Vertigo
07-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Well, it's the best thing he did in the second quarter of 2008, in my opinion. Aside from The Four Of Us Are Dying, maybe. Letting You, too, probably.

hani
07-27-2014, 03:29 AM
Well, it's the best thing he did in the second quarter of 2008, in my opinion. Aside from The Four Of Us Are Dying, maybe. Letting You, too, probably.

oh yeah, TFOUAD comes pretty close.

tony.parente
07-27-2014, 03:31 AM
I came to realize that Head Down is probably the best thing Trent did after The Fragile. is it controversial?

I think with_teeth is the second best thing he's ever done, after the fragile of course.

Microwave Jellyfish
07-27-2014, 03:47 AM
Damn straight.

HurtinMinorKey
07-27-2014, 09:31 PM

I think i would say best thing since Year Zero. It's close though. It's definitely better than anything on With Teeth

Sarah K
07-27-2014, 09:34 PM
With Teeth is the 3rd best for me. TDS > Broken > WT

Scarlet Siren
07-27-2014, 09:36 PM
I hate THTF and hate I've seen it live so many times.

EDIT - I've seen that song live 26 times according to NIN Tour History *shudder* :(

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-28-2014, 06:40 PM
With Teeth is the 3rd best for me. TDS > Broken > WT
At first I thought that was weird, but then I remembered how you and The Fragile don't get along. :p

I still haven't decided how to rank PHM–TF vs WT–HM.

Sarah K
07-28-2014, 07:02 PM
At first I thought that was weird, but then I remembered how you and The Fragile don't get along. :p

That, and attending a NIN show was my first exposure to NIN. I went to the With Teeth tour... And when I was getting sober, I watched BYIT nearly every night, which is WT heavy. It holds a dear place in my heart because of how I related to a lot of it while trying to stay clean.

Charmingly Miserable
07-29-2014, 12:41 AM
I was listening to Starfuckers today and thought that it's a pretty weak song compared to everything else on the Fragile.

niggo
07-29-2014, 03:23 AM
To me Starfuckers feels like it doesn't really belong on that record to begin with. The overall feel of the The Fragile is just SO different.

piggy
07-29-2014, 03:42 AM
That's a pretty commonly held opinion... not controversial at all, really. And I'm down with it, too.

Kyle
07-29-2014, 03:55 AM
I think it's more controversial to say you have no problem with Starfuckers, Inc. Which is where I stand. It's not my favorite track on the album, but I don't have a problem with it at all and would be fine with it returning to setlists.

implanted_microchip
07-29-2014, 04:34 AM
I think it's more controversial to say you have no problem with Starfuckers, Inc. Which is where I stand. It's not my favorite track on the album, but I don't have a problem with it at all and would be fine with it returning to setlists.

It seems like a great live song, by far. In general the complaint I always hear is that it feels out of place on The Fragile (something I don't even agree with, like you I think it's fine) but live that shouldn't be a problem in the least.

Oh, controversial contribution from me: Not So Pretty Now is fantastic and would be great to hear again even though it wouldn't fit in the least with this current version/era of NIN. If they ever dip back into the more rock-driven elements like the WT tour, I'd love for this to get played again (although I'm totally happy with NIN right where it is stylistically).

tony.parente
07-29-2014, 04:38 AM
It seems like a great live song, by far. In general the complaint I always hear is that it feels out of place on The Fragile (something I don't even agree with, like you I think it's fine) but live that shouldn't be a problem in the least.

Oh, controversial contribution from me: Not So Pretty Now is fantastic and would be great to hear again even though it wouldn't fit in the least with this current version/era of NIN. If they ever dip back into the more rock-driven elements like the WT tour, I'd love for this to get played again (although I'm totally happy with NIN right where it is stylistically).

I think starfuckers was only included so it could be a "single", as it's the only song that would make sense to be played on the radio. It DOES stick out big time IMO.

Also Not So Pretty Now is friggin cringeworthy.

Atu
07-29-2014, 05:13 AM

I have something more controversial: not only I have no problem with Starfuckers, Inc. on The Fragile, but also I like its remixes on Things Falling Apart:p

eversonpoe
07-29-2014, 08:39 AM
I think starfuckers was only included so it could be a "single", as it's the only song that would make sense to be played on the radio. It DOES stick out big time IMO.

i feel like, if that were the case, it would have been released as the first single (as opposed to as a b-side ON the first single).

it's possible it wasn't originally intended to go on the album and was just going to remain an extra, but that trent or bob ezrin or someone decided that it DID fit.

i personally like the song and think that, though it may sound more in your face and immediately grandiose than the rest of the album, its tone fits perfectly. the guitars and drums, especially during the chorus, sound very similar to other things on the album (tone-wise, not the actual progressions), and thematically it fits in with the established world of things falling apart (pun intended).

sheepdean
07-29-2014, 09:54 AM
It annoys me that my favourite Fragile track (10MH) was cut but Starfuckers wasn't from the CD release

Leviathant
07-29-2014, 09:58 AM

I'll go a step further. I really actually quite enjoy Starfuckers as a song. I feel as though I stand alone amongst my peers in this opinion. Maybe it came from listening to the slow reveal of the music through nin.com, and seeing nine Fragility shows, but it hits the right spot for me.

The remixes are all shit though.

fillow
07-29-2014, 10:10 AM
All Starfuckers remixes are brilliant. Most of all the one by Charlie 'Nucca' Clouser.

EndlessLoveless
07-29-2014, 10:34 AM
First time i heard starfuckers was on the radio, editing the "fuck" out of the word starfuckers. And the dj couldnt say the name so i didnt know what it was called. It sounded like he was yelling " STOP, THIS" instead of "STARFUCKERS" during the chorus because of the harsh edit. I thought it was killer. I liked it better that way then when i bought the day the world went away single and realized what the fuck was going on. Not my favorite fragile song but it has grown on me.

Atu
07-29-2014, 11:40 AM
I'll go a step further. I really actually quite enjoy Starfuckers as a song. I feel as though I stand alone amongst my peers in this opinion. Maybe it came from listening to the slow reveal of the music through nin.com, and seeing nine Fragility shows, but it hits the right spot for me.

The remixes are all shit though.

I just wanted to like your post and then I read last sentence.

sheepdean
07-29-2014, 02:23 PM
First time i heard starfuckers was on the radio, editing the "fuck" out of the word starfuckers. And the dj couldnt say the name so i didnt know what it was called. It sounded like he was yelling " STOP, THIS" instead of "STARFUCKERS" during the chorus because of the harsh edit. I thought it was killer. I liked it better that way then when i bought the day the world went away single and realized what the fuck was going on. Not my favorite fragile song but it has grown on me.
That's weird, because Starsuckers exists, the radio-friendly version that was also used for the music video. And, imo, it's better despite it only being a couple of line changes.

Kyle
07-29-2014, 02:53 PM
That's weird, because Starsuckers exists, the radio-friendly version that was also used for the music video. And, imo, it's better despite it only being a couple of line changes.

If he heard it before TDTWWA single was released (as it sounds), then this was well before Starsuckers existed. That was the last single from the album IIRC.

Space Suicide
07-29-2014, 02:55 PM
All Starfuckers remixes are brilliant. Most of all the one by Charlie 'Nucca' Clouser.

My favorite. So much drastically different and awesome sounding.

I find The Frail on all things falling apart better than the album version as well.

cahernandez
07-29-2014, 02:59 PM
I was listening to Starfuckers today and thought that it's a pretty weak song compared to everything else on the Fragile.

Listen to the 2005 KROQ sped-up version with JOSH FREESE giving a Masters class on drums and Aaron North going crazy on guitar. I miss those guys! Hopefully it makes you appreciate the song (before I heard this version I didn't care about Starfuckers much, but it's that good that it made me change my mind):

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hjqwtQEY2cw

implanted_microchip
07-29-2014, 07:24 PM
Oh while we're on songs everyone hates:

Capital G is awesome. I mean, genuinely fantastic to my ears. The guitar solo, the vocals, the chanting of "GREED" over and over, the melody in the chorus, that wailing guitar in the end in the right channel, the entire everything about it, the little "Ahh-ah-uhhh-uhhhh" at the tail end of the final chorus. I can't get enough of it. The handful of live performances seem like they were incredible, too, and I absolutely hate that it got jettisoned early on and instead Survivalism was the staple YZ track for several tours on (not that I hate Survivalism but I find very little all too special about it aside from the fact that there's a Hippopotamus Great Nation).

icecream
07-29-2014, 07:44 PM
I can see how Trent could feel silly playing Starfucker while pushing 50. I liked Capital G but the way he sings makes the lyrics seem forced.

Joy Prevention Hotline
07-29-2014, 10:38 PM
I'd definitely take NSPN over Starfuckers.

Also a fan o' Capital G.

Charmingly Miserable
07-29-2014, 11:37 PM
I like to think that Trent borrowed Starfuckers from Tori (see: Professional Widow).

EndlessLoveless
07-30-2014, 06:31 AM

It was before the single or video came out. Wasnt starfuckers the second or third video with WITT being first? Anyways, it was an edit to the vocals only. The whole song didnt cut out. I remember like it was yesterday because it was so badass. Only heard once on the radio, but i dont listen to fm radio much. Twas very cool though.... STOP, THIS! da na na na nah nah STOP, THIS. I also HATE that starfuckers t shirt.

zah
07-31-2014, 05:47 PM
Listen to the 2005 KROQ sped-up version with JOSH FREESE giving a Masters class on drums and Aaron North going crazy on guitar. I miss those guys! Hopefully it makes you appreciate the song (before I heard this version I didn't care about Starfuckers much, but it's that good that it made me change my mind):

I prefer this version to the original, but the chorus is still too boring to bother repeating the 2nd time. Deep is less boring. Even TPD is slightly less boring.

The remix on EFA is okay.

I really like Hesitation Marks. It's not my favourite, but I like it.

sick among the pure
07-31-2014, 06:41 PM
I do not hate a single NIN song. There are songs that I believe are out of place on their respective albums, but I do not hate any of them. I do not hate any live song, there are songs I would prefer to hear instead, but do not hate hearing any song live.

And yes, I'm including Everything.

Edit: I feel like I've said this before, actually. But since the discussion of "I actually don't hate this song" has come back up, I posted it.

Halo Infinity
08-02-2014, 03:38 PM
I think with_teeth is the second best thing he's ever done, after the fragile of course.
Not if The Downward Spiral and Year Zero have anything to say about that. (I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist. It's all good though, as I actually enjoy seeing With Teeth get more love and appreciation anyway.) :p

Butterscotch
08-02-2014, 04:51 PM
I'm not really sure how controversial this is, but I think the worst NIN song is Not So Pretty Now.

And in general I don't like the rock-oriented songs as much as the more electronic ones.

Charmingly Miserable
08-02-2014, 06:17 PM
Kris Year Zero. Ugh. I just can't listen to that album as a whole. lol

Not So Pretty Now is not the worst NIN song. I like to secretly think it's about Courtney Love.

Halo Infinity
08-02-2014, 07:53 PM
@Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) Year Zero. Ugh. I just can't listen to that album as a whole. lol
I actually find that happening to myself as well, since I often skip around Year Zero. I even tend to skip around a lot more on The Slip too. I skip around the most on Ghosts I-IV though. With that being said, I've often felt that Year Zero is at least one of the best NIN albums of the 2000s.

Butterscotch
08-02-2014, 07:56 PM
I like Year Zero as an album, but I don't like listening to individual songs from it all that much.

I prefer to listen to it all the way through.

Joy Prevention Hotline
08-02-2014, 08:30 PM
I'm still not sure how all of the albums stack up for me, but I'll stake a claim and say I like Year Zero more than TDS.

But maybe not FDTS. I think. Need to do more research.

Oh, and speaking of research, my copy of FDTS UK arrived yesterday. :)

kel
08-02-2014, 09:16 PM
that puff daddy remix.

imail724
08-02-2014, 10:14 PM
that puff daddy remix.
...is the dopest shit ever?

elevenism
08-02-2014, 11:26 PM
i might have already mentioned this, but the slip is fucking AWESOME.

Charmingly Miserable
08-14-2014, 03:08 PM
PHM has just as much cheese as Y Kant Tori Read. Blame the late 80s.

eversonpoe
08-14-2014, 10:47 PM

but the music on PHM is better, for sure. :p

Halo Infinity
08-14-2014, 10:52 PM
I actually had Purest Feeling more in mind, but I still see what you mean there. Either way, I just love it. (From both camps, that is. The Big Picture became an instant favorite of mine.)

Charmingly Miserable
08-14-2014, 10:55 PM
I actually had Purest Feeling more in mind, but I still see what you mean there. Either way, I just love it. (From both camps, that is. The Big Picture became an instant favorite of mine.)
Oh yeah. Cool on Your Island and Fire on the Side are personal favorites and Pirates is extremely fun to sing along with. I should pull my YKTR vinyls from storage.

AlanMorlock
08-15-2014, 02:15 AM

When I saw Arcade Fire last spring, after opening with "Here Comes the Night Time" Win Butler leaned into his mic and grumbled "We are not fucking around" and the band kicked immediately into "Wake Up" their usual closing/encore staple. It threw me for a complete fucking loop.

Sarah K
08-18-2014, 09:49 PM
So, I'm watching the Woodstock show for the first time. I'm about 30 minutes in.

On what fucking planet is this good? I feel like I'm just watching someone have a thorough emotional melt down... It's extremely fucking uncomfortable to watch.

implanted_microchip
08-18-2014, 10:28 PM
So, I'm watching the Woodstock show for the first time. I'm about 30 minutes in.

On what fucking planet is this good? I feel like I'm just watching someone have a thorough emotional melt down... It's extremely fucking uncomfortable to watch.

For a lot of people, that's what that era is all about. It's depressing in retrospect and when you have things in context of Trent's life and see him more as a fully formed person rather than a big rock star, but then again, that entire tour is just such a full-fledged embodiment of the album it's supporting. There's that intense, raw, fucked up decay to all of it that is an upsetting and harsh thing to see, but then again it's a harsh album. It's almost a flagship show of what that tour was like, the chaos of NIN live, the entire presentation of NIN as emotional catharsis and a sudden outpour of anger, frustration and pain, with almost everything else taking a backseat. It's a roughness and rawness and sincerity that is just special and unique, even if it's uncomfortable.

I'm incredibly glad Trent is well past that person he used to be, I'm glad that kind of show is over and I'm more than glad that the live performances have turned into something far bigger in terms of scope and scale, but it's just an important aspect of what used to be Nine Inch Nails, and knowing that it's all said and done and moved past makes it really easy for me to enjoy it as simply a great example of that version of NIN was. That's what people thought of when they saw the logo or heard the name, that attitude, that style, that presentation.

Also, keep in mind that for a ton of people that Woodstock show was the first exposure they had to NIN, or NIN live. It was a major event, people were watching that show across the country, and it made NIN so much more popular. It took TDS and made it a massive album, it made the Self Destruct tour so successful, and NIN became a household name. There's gonna be that rose-colored glasses effect because of that, we all think fondly of the first encounters we have with the things we love, even if they weren't as great or as fantastic as we remember them being.

WorzelG
08-19-2014, 01:41 AM

I really don't get that impression from Woodstock, it just comes over as intense to me, just anger at the equipment fucking up and nerves probably giving a lot of adrenaline. Watch the footage from Japan in 2000 on the Fragility tour for a real melt down. I can't even get through a song it's so awful

GlitchyFlame
08-19-2014, 03:55 AM
2007-Present Manson > 2007-Present Trent
This is going to get me some major shit.

misternegative
08-19-2014, 04:01 AM

But...but...but how? Why? How?

fillow
08-19-2014, 04:10 AM
Sure, Manson's so fucking good that he needs to use an oxygen mask in the middle of 12-song set.

GlitchyFlame
08-19-2014, 04:24 AM
Trent has just gone down hill personally. Manson seems to be doing more interesting things as of late.

sheepdean
08-19-2014, 04:31 AM
Trent has lost his balls? He spent like most of the 90s off his head being bossed about by his manager, then spent the 00s bossed about by his label, the only time he's been in self control is the exact period you think he "lost his balls".

Unless balls means musical talent, in which case, where's Brian's Oscar?

Khrz
08-19-2014, 04:41 AM

More like major scoff really. So far Reznor has overcome every obstacle that Manson keeps tripping on. Sure, Reznor has turned into Peter Gabriel, he's not the dark lord of angst anymore (thank god for that), but Manson still thinks he's the antichrist of the american dream, which is kind of endearing in 2014...

hani
08-19-2014, 04:45 AM
I really have tons and tons of respect for both Trent and Manson, but if I was to compare - ever since NIN started, they had no bad albums, but Manson - I think "Eat Me, Drink Me" and "The High End of Low" both feel dull, uninspired and just not on par with his previous masterpieces like "Golden Age of Grotesque", "Antichrist Superstar" and my personal fav "Mechanical Animals".

but still, "Born Villain" was a hell of an album, thoroughly enjoyable, and IMHO a return to form for Manson.

*edit* and yes, now seeing the post above, it's true - Manson still tries to be the shock rocker he used to be (with amusing results I must say), while Trent seems just - I don't know, a person? he's being himself, no more fishnet stockings and corn starch

misternegative
08-19-2014, 04:48 AM
Trent has just gone down hill personally. Manson seems to be doing more interesting things as of late.

As a fan of both Marilyn Manson and NIN (used to be a huge fan of MM), I still can't really where your opinion holds much truth (if that doesn't sound too condescending). When I saw MM on both his Born Villain and Twins of Evil tour, although the show was fun, Manson has really become a parody of himself. He tries to do the same stage antics that he did back in the '90s, which ends up looking nostalgic and ultimately, slightly pathetic. Not to mention how quickly he becomes out of breath and exhausted, and how much of an asshole he is to everyone around him. That, combined with the past few albums he's put out and such, really just underwhelms me overall as an artist.

Trent, on the other hand, has matured and evolved, both as a human being and an artist. He continues to present new/different live experiences to his audience, while still playing through nearly two hour sets. On top of NIN (and self-releasing his NIN material, might I add), he's scored three films, worked with a few other projects/bands, married and had kids, worked with Beats on a streaming service, etc. All with their own sense of individuality, and not with a "NIN-creepy" vibe behind all of it.

Manson is acting in SOA though, so I guess he has that going for him.

WorzelG
08-19-2014, 05:16 AM
More like major yawn, check out what tony parente has been saying lately, it's not even new. From bill pulsipher to tp to this, controversial opinions have really gone downhill lately. He can't even be arsed to back it up with anything tangible

HurtinMinorKey
08-19-2014, 09:10 AM

Year Zero was released April 17, 2007. So in short, no.

implanted_microchip
08-19-2014, 04:49 PM
I love both current setlists for the summer tour and don't see anything wrong with either one. With the production and length limitations, along with being a part of a tour that is going to attract a lot of casual or non-fans to the show who otherwise wouldn't be there, I don't see a problem at all.

I don't even know if that's really so controversial to say, because most people seeing these shows seem totally pleased, but just the amount of bitching that's gone on (and thankfully has died down a bit) really makes me feel that way. I got to see both sets back to back, and while yeah, of course I preferred Assault (it was my first time seeing Burn; it's always going to be special to me for that), the Fuji show is so perfectly flowing and rolls out really, really well.

Don't know if this is controversial, but I love Year Zero more than PHM or Broken.

WorzelG
08-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Don't know if this is controversial, but I love Year Zero more than PHM or Broken.
I feel the same way - but I think it is controversial!

Halo Infinity
08-19-2014, 05:10 PM
I'd also say that it is, but I also love it when post-The Fragile works get more love anyway. It's always a pleasure for me to see them gain more appreciation and acceptance. :D

tony.parente
08-19-2014, 05:13 PM
More like major yawn, check out what tony parente has been saying lately, it's not even new. From bill pulsipher to tp to this, controversial opinions have really gone downhill lately. He can't even be arsed to back it up with anything tangible

I don't have much to complain about in the world of NIN, the only time i've ever been actually peeved at nin EVER has been the most disappointing tour leg in the history of the band i.e NIN/SG.

Other than that NIN is probably the most important band in my life. Major pilar in framework of who I am.

WorzelG
08-19-2014, 05:15 PM
I don't have much to complain about in the world of NIN, the only time i've ever been actually peeved at nin EVER has been the most disappointing tour leg in the history of the band i.e NIN/SG.

Other than that NIN is probably the most important band in my life. Major pilar in framework of who I am.
to be fair to you, you did back up your controversial opinion with a setlist you thought was better.

Regarding setlists for this tour, if its any consolation, I imagine Trent is getting more hassle from David Fincher finishing off his film right now than any fans could give on a message board!

tony.parente
08-19-2014, 05:19 PM
to be fair to you, you did back up your controversial opinion with a setlist you thought was better.

Regarding setlists for this tour, if its any consolation, I imagine Trent is getting more hassle from David Fincher finishing off his film right now than any fans could give on a message board!

NIN fans are cunts, he's used to it.

Halo Infinity
08-21-2014, 03:10 PM
I was about to recommend that you visit Provider Module until I remembered that I've also recognized your username over there. I even forgot that you were on Echoing the Sound to start with. I know that I've mentioned this before, but I was amazed as to how some of the members' reactions to The Slip and Hesitation Marks on PM mirrored the reactons ETS had to Eat Me, Drink Me and The High End of Low. There also seems to be a couple of members from PM that also look at With Teeth the same way ETS looks at The Golden Age of Grotesque. Some members have also claimed that Marilyn Manson is a lot more daring than Nine Inch Nails, and that Marilyn Manson has evolved more than Nine Inch Nails.

GulDukat
08-22-2014, 07:49 PM
The Fragile ​is one of the best albums of all-time.

implanted_microchip
08-22-2014, 07:54 PM
The Fragile ​is one of the best albums of all-time.

This is usually the fan-favorite album, I'd definitely not call it controversial. Even Trent has called it his personal favorite work.

Damian
08-22-2014, 07:56 PM
TR has talked about "evolving" way more than he's actually done. Strip away the pretty-flashy-lights and he hasn't really done much to do anything different live. As I said elsewhere, TR doesn't evolve, he just surrounds himself with the people he wants to borrow from and then buys new synths/software. His methods are still painfully predictable, no matter what new fancy thing he tries to package it under. All the "noise" of YZ away, it's still typical TR pop. The most daring he's been is Ghosts when he learned maybe it's better if he shuts up now and then.

sheepdean
08-22-2014, 08:24 PM
That's true of like, anyone though? Every musician has a sound or a theme they prefer and stick to, a least he's not Status Quo

implanted_microchip
08-22-2014, 10:19 PM
He still has expanded his horizons far past what a lot of artists of his time have. Go look at the lyrics from Year Zero and songwriting for The Slip and compare them to Broken or TDS, then take a look at Marilyn Manson and tell me who stagnated. Also, if changing band members, stage shows, instruments and arrangements isn't evolving live, then what is?

elevenism
08-22-2014, 11:15 PM
the slip kicks ass

and yeah, like kleiner352 said, trent has evolved A LOT.

it's a long, long way from god is dead and no one cares to oh dear lord hear my prayer.

tony.parente
08-22-2014, 11:41 PM
it's a long, long way from god is dead and no one cares to oh dear lord hear my prayer.
Yeah that was weird.

BenAkenobi
08-22-2014, 11:55 PM
Yeah that was weird.
Flyentology perfectly explains it

No! There are no atheists in the foxholes
No! There is no intellect in the air
No! There are no scientists on the way down
Just a working example of faith versus physics

WorzelG
08-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Flyentology perfectly explains it
That Flyentology song ethos is typical of someone who makes the assumption everyone who is an atheist was brought up to be religious and then denied it to be 'rebellious'. I was never brought up to be religious and haven't even spent a second of my life believing in God, I would no more pray in a foxhole as I would assume a giant beanstalk is going to grow up to help me escape. But I wouldn't define myself by it because it's so meaningless to me (in other words I'm no Dawkins and have actually had pretty religious friends over the years)

BenAkenobi
08-23-2014, 01:15 AM
Sure, no song ever can explain (a)theism, it just was a fitting example of how same musician can aproach the subject. One song is rebellious, one is heartfelt, one is ironic, etc.

sheepdean
08-23-2014, 01:58 AM
I don't think Heresy is about atheism, he's never claimed to be an atheist anyways

implanted_microchip
08-23-2014, 02:24 AM
Keep in mind the full line "YOUR god is dead and no one cares." Not addressing any general god, instead a specific person's or institution's embodiment. On TDS even, the narrator basically attempts to become his own view of what god is ("you get me closer to God" implying having control over another, while songs like Ruiner illustrate how the protagonist views god as someone "serving His shit to His flies") which in turn leads to his downfall and suicide.

elevenism
08-23-2014, 09:20 AM
I don't think Heresy is about atheism, he's never claimed to be an atheist anyways

i'm not saying heresy is about atheism, i'm just talking about lyrical evolution.
i feel that trent HAS evolved lyrically and musically.
i've been awake for far too long to get very deep into it right now.

Go look at the lyrics from Year Zero and songwriting for The Slip and compare them to Broken or TDS (what @kleiner352 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4417) said. )

And now that i think about it, the BIGGEST way trent ever evolved lyrically was on YZ, moving from all "i" statements to looking at the world.

by the way, kleiner352 , YOUR god is dead and i don't care ;)

Khrz
08-23-2014, 10:01 AM
And now that i think about it, the BIGGEST way trent ever evolved lyrically was on YZ, moving from all "i" statements to looking at the world.

If the mutation doesn't hold across generations, it's not evolution, it's just an aberration. "I" came back in full force with Hesitation Marks.

elevenism
08-23-2014, 06:22 PM
i was thinking about all this, @kleiner352 (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=4417) , @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) , @tony.parente (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2107) , @Khrz (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2023) ....because i am an utter geek...anyway...

you guys are right. and what Khrz said REALLY speaks to what i was thinking.

NIN didn't really evolve. With Teeth was a more straightforward rock album. Year Zero was more glitchy with a shift of narrative distance. And Ghosts makes me think of NIN meets boards of canada or something.

But half of HM would be at home on TF.

At first, and especially to the press, it's like "oscar winner reznor, now married, is making different music," especially listening to songs like everything.
But musically he is still on the same path he started with TDS, the rich sonic layers influenced by funk and even hip-hop. He's just gotten, i would say, better at it, deeper into it.

And his lyrics are a bit lighter now, but only by a few degrees.

so i retract my previous statement (as if it fucking matters what i think ;) . just my 2 cents)

btw Khrz , you are a good writer.
If the mutation doesn't hold across generations, it's not evolution, it's just an aberration.
that's a $2 sentence.

kel
08-23-2014, 06:33 PM
hasn't he said in the past that "heresy" is about being sexually active in the time of hiv and aids? i don't have a source, but i doubt a 14-year-old (my age when tds came out, and close to the time i remember reading this) could concoct such an analogy on his own ...

elevenism
08-23-2014, 06:35 PM
i'm pretty sure he said that c0f3d , but i think it's more about him wanting to scream "Your God is Dead and No One Cares" :)

tony.parente
08-23-2014, 06:42 PM
But half of HM would be at home on TF.

Eww.
Don't insult the fragile that way.

Sarah K
08-23-2014, 06:54 PM
Having some HM songs on TF instead of all that filler would have been a lot better!

elevenism
08-23-2014, 06:57 PM
(as if it fucking matters what i think ;) . just my 2 cents)

tony.parente , no HM for you? you either sheepdean?
i really like it. and don't you guys see the similarity between, say, even deeper and i would for you?

sheepdean
08-23-2014, 08:13 PM
Hm is not really for me. I like Everything, and the album has grown on me, but it's not ~fantastic~

tony.parente
08-23-2014, 09:32 PM
My favorite tracks on HM are Disappointed, Find My Way and Various Methods. My main issue with the album is the lack of analog instruments and the fact that almost every track on the album starts with some generic and cheesy drum machine beat. I also kind of disagree with the filler comment on the fragile, it's a little 'bloated' but I can't think of one track on that album that would be considered filler other than Pilgrimage and even that song seems like a necessary segway from Even Deeper to No, You Don't.

Damian
08-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Because he talked about God one way, and then God another isn't anything I called evolved. Oooohh, he hated god, and now he talks to god. He's been talking about God since day one and I don't care that he has beliefs but saying because he went thru the typical nihilistic 20-something and came out of it - that's hardly an evolution. Just different sides of the same construct. Then again, we shouldn't be talking about evolution and TR's lyrics in the same subject. The one man who really sing about the same shit and nothing at all.

sheepdean
08-23-2014, 11:15 PM
Damian so what would you call evolution in a musician?

elevenism
08-24-2014, 12:26 AM
My favorite tracks on HM are Disappointed, Find My Way and Various Methods. My main issue with the album is the lack of analog instruments and the fact that almost every track on the album starts with some generic and cheesy drum machine beat. I also kind of disagree with the filler comment on the fragile, it's a little 'bloated' but I can't think of one track on that album that would be considered filler other than Pilgrimage and even that song seems like a necessary segway from Even Deeper to No, You Don't.

i love all of them...all the nin albums. the one i like the least is ghosts, but @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) talked to me about how great it is, i gave it another listen, and i really like it too. i like the pilgramage a lot. one of my least favorite tracks on the fragile is no you don't...but it still kicks ass.
What i love about HM is how sonically THICK it is. there are so many layers, so much going on. I'm still discovering sounds that i didn't know were there.

and Damian , NIN has DEFINITELy evolved as a live entity. i saw them in 94 and 95...when i compare those shows to, say, tension, it's like two different bands...hell, it IS two different bands.

BenAkenobi
08-24-2014, 02:39 AM
What i love about HM is how sonically THICK it is. there are so many layers, so much going on. I'm still discovering sounds that i didn't know were there.

This statement has appeared on this message board numerous times from numerous members, but it still causes my head to shake. I must be listening to a different album than "everyone and their uncle". I struggle to find that THICKNESS and DEPTH. Most stuff as tony.parente said seems to revolve around same simple beat, one effect here, one there, and *maybe* for Trent that was enough. But for some of us "diehards" it didn't quite work. Maybe i'm talking like an addict needing bigger, concentrated doses of nin but with HM i'm never getting enough. And it's not about repetition, as usually said "i can't get enough" would mean "i need to repeat it" — no, that's about viewing all of HM (except a handful songs, two of them, ironically, being Everything / Disappointed and other titles i don't remember) as a bunch of demos which didn't evolve into real album. When i put on NIN record i must, by definition, step on a rollercoaster without safety belts. This device, however, moves just as fast as required by safety regulations so parent don't have to worry their kid would need any kind of help after the round is over. Maybe more soda or popcorn? No, they haven't been spilled along the road. What do we do next?

tony.parente
08-24-2014, 02:44 AM
a bunch of demos which didn't evolve into real album

THIS.

It honestly sounds like it was created in less time than the slip to me, which has INFINITELY more depth than hesitation marks to me.

r_k_f
08-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Most stuff as @tony.parente (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=2107) said seems to revolve around same simple beat, one effect here, one there, and *maybe* for Trent that was enough.. That's factually impossible with Buckingham, Palladino and Belew. How many songs can you come up with that the bass and guitar chase each other around like All Time Low? Layers, thickness, Hesitation Marks sounds like it has plenty to me. And what does being a "diehard" have to do with this in terms of depth? if anything it would allow you to compare complexity, depth, layering or thickness to many tracks in the NIN catalogue that have less of the aforementioned. Every album is it's own unique animal. take some NIN virgins, have them sit through Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, Ghosts & Year Zero and 9 outta 10 of them would even guess it's the same artist.

BenAkenobi
08-24-2014, 11:12 AM
There's no argument that "All Time Low" is a highlight of album. It starts a real nice sequence of three songs. And later down the road we have good stuff too: VMOE, IWFY and "In two". It's a little more than a handful but still less than half of album. Speaking of "diehards", i'd be honoured to call myself one but i'm not quite there yet, probably because i could easily "sit through Pretty Hate Machine, Broken, Ghosts & Year Zero" any day and enjoy all of it.

pinata89
08-24-2014, 01:11 PM
My favorite tracks on HM are Disappointed, Find My Way and Various Methods. My main issue with the album is the lack of analog instruments and the fact that almost every track on the album starts with some generic and cheesy drum machine beat.

This.

I feel like Hesitation Marks could have been so much better with some use of actual instruments here and there. I think the only song with a small segment of acoustic drums is "Various Methods of Escape" starting at the outro. Hell, I would have been happy if he would have sampled real drums sounds. This album is just a little too electronic, at times.

elevenism
08-24-2014, 07:16 PM
This statement has appeared on this message board numerous times from numerous members, but it still causes my head to shake. I must be listening to a different album than "everyone and their uncle". I struggle to find that THICKNESS and DEPTH.

i didnt realize how "thick" and "deep" HM was until i listened to it really loud on a good car stereo.
you might try that.

r_k_f
08-24-2014, 08:58 PM
This.

I feel like Hesitation Marks could have been so much better with some use of actual instruments here and there. I think the only song with a small segment of acoustic drums is "Various Methods of Escape" starting at the outro. Hell, I would have been happy if he would have sampled real drums sounds. This album is just a little too electronic, at times.

Not enough drums means not enough actual instruments? How do you feel about The Slip or Year Zero?

Ryan
08-24-2014, 10:23 PM
Hm is not really for me. I like Everything, and the album has grown on me, but it's not ~fantastic~

"Everything" has become my favorite track off the record as well. It's too bad that the public made Trent dislike it.

sheepdean
08-24-2014, 10:42 PM
I wonder if Trent dislikes it, or doesn't want to risk playing it to a crowd that could potentially boo it

Ryan
08-24-2014, 10:50 PM
I wonder if Trent dislikes it, or doesn't want to risk playing it to a crowd that could potentially boo it

I think if he opened the song in a much lower and more subdued vocal octave it would work really well live.

tony.parente
08-24-2014, 11:05 PM
Not enough drums means not enough actual instruments? How do you feel about The Slip or Year Zero?

The slip was probably the most analog album since with teeth. And Year Zero was different because it was good.

aggroculture
08-24-2014, 11:17 PM
I think if he opened the song in a much lower and more subdued vocal octave it would work really well live.

Or drag it out, make the whole song ugly and slow.

BRoswell
08-24-2014, 11:36 PM
If they performed the Autolux version (minus the crazy voice pitching), it would be fantastic.

simonn
08-25-2014, 03:34 AM
Trent's onstage moves were stolen from Gary Numan. That is all.

pinata89
08-25-2014, 10:33 AM

Right, not enough actual instruments.

On the albums in question here, I find The Slip definitely more in the vein of what I enjoy with production and instrument choice (fuzzy guitars, acoustic drums, etc.). However, the content and actual songwriting is a little lacking and not as fleshed out as some of the previous albums. Feels kind of thrown together, to me at least.

Year Zero: this particular album is actually very focused conceptually, and I feel that it thematically fits the mold of an electronic sound base. So, to an extent, I grant it a handicap on use of actual instruments. With that said, it sounds like it may have been idealized with real instruments in mind during the songwriting stage--and actually features some real instruments on select tracks... whereas Hesitation Marks sounds like it was written entirely with a drum machine using minimal settings.

pinata89
08-25-2014, 10:34 AM
If they performed the Autolux version (minus the crazy voice pitching), it would be fantastic.

Exactly! This remix trumps the album version so much, in my opinion. The acoustic drums drive the groove so much more than the electro-beat on the album track.

Joy Prevention Hotline
08-25-2014, 09:05 PM

Or drag it out, make the whole song ugly and slow.
Yup, make it unrecognizable at first, until it dawns on people and somebody yells "Oh my God it's the rainbows song LOL" (yes, actually says "LOL") and he gets beaten to death by the people around him.

Then we can get serious about enjoying it. :)

pinata89
09-09-2014, 11:05 PM
Controversial NIN Opinion:

Further Down the Spiral is pretty awesome (I like Things Falling Apart better)...however, with that said, it seems kind of heavy on remixes of "Mr. Self Destruct" (which is one of my favorite all-time NIN tunes)....I honestly can't find a terribly noticeable difference between "Self Destruction, Final" being a combination of the first two ("The Art of Self Destruction, Part I" and "Self Destruction, Part II").

m15a
09-10-2014, 10:54 AM

Further Down the Spiral is pretty awesome (I like Things Falling Apart better)...however, with that said, it seems kind of heavy on remixes of "Mr. Self Destruct" (which is one of my favorite all-time NIN tunes)....I honestly can't find a terribly noticeable difference between "Self Destruction, Final" being a combination of the first two ("The Art of Self Destruction, Part I" and "Self Destruction, Part II").

oooh. saying that there are a lot of remixes of Mr. Self Destruct on FDTS? very controversial. careful with that opinion or you might get banned. ;) sorry, just joking. just doesn't sound very controversial.

personally, i don't exactly mind having a lot of similar remixes, but i won't exactly choose to listen to something like the HLAH single over and over. *but* i totally did do that when i was in high school. :D

EDIT: I just listened to Part One, Part Two, and Final in a row. Actually, I feel like there's definitely enough variety to make it worth listening to. I don't know about Part Three, though. Not really sure why it was included instead of Part Two.

screwdriver
09-10-2014, 11:13 AM

I feel you, though I guess I found the Self Destruct remixes more interesting than the Starfuckers remixes on TFA. (ignoring Clouser's.)

fillow
09-10-2014, 11:18 AM
I feel you, though I guess I found the Self Destruct remixes more interesting than the Starfuckers remixes on TFA. (ignoring Clouser's.)
They just shouldn't have make so many of them. There is a Part One, and then there is Part Two which sounds pretty much the same as Part Three which sounds pretty much the same as Final (more or less of course). Too much repetition in the latter three.

Joy Prevention Hotline
09-10-2014, 05:11 PM
Nah, I like the deconstructed Mr Self Destruct(s) better than the original.