PDA

View Full Version : Am I weird for not caring about NIN touring?

slopesandsam
08-21-2013, 10:40 AM
Each time NIN announce a tour, and everyone goes apeshit with excitement, I always feel like a weird outsider because I just don't care about NIN touring. I've been to see NIN live four times now, and I really enjoyed the experience every time. Even the time Trent cracked the shits when people started yelling shit over "Hurt". That concert started out well enough. They played Ruiner. It was awesome.

But those experience, good as they were, didn't even come close to the experience of listening to a new NIN album for the first time. Or the second or third time either. In fact, I wouldn't be bothered at all if I never saw NIN live again, so long as Trent keeps making music.

I was actually hoping that NIN was going to do a Beatles, quit touring altogether and just focus on putting out albums, after the Wave Goodbye tour. And that is sort of what happened. Only it was soundtracks and side projects, which were cool, but they weren't NIN.

I'm posting this purely because I do feel like I'm not in the majority in feeling this way. Are there others who feel the same?

OSLIN
08-21-2013, 10:47 AM
You're in the minority for sure, NIN live is essential when experiencing NIN ( I don't know if that makes sense).

Halo Infinity
08-21-2013, 11:16 AM
I would actually say no, because I don't think it's weird to not be interested in attending concerts, even though you might be in the minority as a NIN fan. I'm actually not much of a concert-goer myself either, but I try to go see NIN whenever there are any tour dates in or near the NYC area.

And at least you also got a chance to see NIN more than I have, but I still think you don't have to feel weird for not wanting to attend any concerts of any kind. :)

tony.parente
08-21-2013, 11:18 AM
I think you're weird for not posting this in the nin comments thread.

;)

jessamineny
08-21-2013, 11:28 AM
Were you sitting up in the seats like a spectator? Because I have to tell you, there isn't quite anything like being down in the middle of the masses for a show.

There's an addictive, palpable exchange of energy that you'll never get up in the seats. It feels sort of like a wave coming off the stage and crashing down on us in the crowd. (Over and over and over for two hours.) Plus there's the crush, the heat, the collective adrenaline, all on top of the music and visuals. Sensory fucking overload.

Dooooo it. You will never go back. :)

Leo_OAK
08-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Sorry, I do find you weird. You don't want to see a concert, don'to go the concerts anymore. It's bizarr to hope NIN will stop touring just because you're no longer interested in seeing them live. Will you pay the wages of TR and the incredibly large shitbunch of people geting jobs every time NIN goes out on tour? C'mon brother. Lazarus and Balthazar need savings for college. Love, peace, out.

EndlessLoveless
08-21-2013, 11:30 AM
"Am I weird for not caring that NIN is touring?"

Yes.

pigpen
08-21-2013, 11:47 AM
I actually kind of get what the OP is saying.
I find myself becoming really bored with concerts about halfway through them. I don't know why..
I know it wouldn't make much sense, but if any given band got up there, tore out a blazing 30min set and left I'd be ok with that.
You know, as long as the tickets weren't +$100!!!

Leviathant
08-21-2013, 11:55 AM
There are more NIN fans who haven't been to concerts than those who have been. So you're not that weird :)

snaapz
08-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Not weird.

1997-2009 I would do anything to get to a concert. I was like a 12 year old school girl at a Justin Bieber concert. When I had a ticket my life revolved around that ticket until the big day.

Now, (October/Toronto show) I suppose I've grown up and I'm not so "Angst" or rocker or what ever... I'm not going to get drunk and shit my self when TR steps foot on the stage.

Instead of pushing my way up front I think me and my wife will watch the show mid G/A section... I just hope this concert isn't too theatrical... I think TR wan't to put on a good exciting show... ontop of the music.

RGM81
08-21-2013, 12:19 PM
Everybody enjoys and experiences music differently. Some people live for the live show, others like to relax in a quiet room with a set of headphones. There's no right, wrong, weird, or normal way to do it.

OSLIN
08-21-2013, 12:20 PM
There are more NIN fans who haven't been to concerts than those who have been. So you're not that weird :)

Though that is technically true.

Does NIN become as popular without their live act? I mean look at some of their quintessential shows, Lolla '91, Woodstock '94, the entire Self Destruct tour are what makes NIN special.

I think if you're a NIN fan, you at one point want to see them live, especially if you haven't yet.

Are there any NIN fans on this board that haven't seen them live? Let's hear your opinions.

redshoewearer
08-21-2013, 12:43 PM
Seeing NIN live was what pulled me in. Everyone's different, and there are some bands that aren't very good live, but NIN isn't one of them. It was 2006 and they were touring near me (Saratoga NY), the time was right, and I'd heard how good they were live. That was an understatement. NIN is one of the top live acts out there, so while I wouldn't call anyone weird for what they like or don't like (I have some weird likes/dislikes as we probably all do), I'd encourage anyone to see them live at least once. (And wear earplugs - I like to be able to hear, the day after a NIN show)

On the other hand, NIN studio work is really good too. Pearl Jam is another of my favorites but I usually listen to their live recordings over studio albums; not the case with NIN - The Fragile still rules for late night road tripping.

Dethbryte
08-21-2013, 06:02 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing them live, but I live too far away from any major cities and don't have the money to blow on going to one in the first place.

Plus I just hate being around people in general, so yeah. I guess I'm with you. Sorta.

JessicaSarahS
08-21-2013, 06:14 PM
Nope, not weird at all. You're most likely in the majority of general music listeners, most of whom do not attend concerts. Sure, your choice won't be the majority opinion here, but shockingly enough, we are not the entirety of NIN fans. :eek: Lots and lots of people away from the internet give me shit for going to concerts, and most of them don't attend concerts. So yeah, your choice is extremely common.

Krazy
08-21-2013, 07:05 PM
I don't think you're weird- but I'm actually the exact opposite. Back in February when TR announced a new album and a fall arena tour I was looking forward more to seeing them live.

NIN is a must see act, and pretty much have been since... well, probably since their early days.

I can see why no one would care about some concerts though. More often than not other acts will bore me and I'll be standing there arms folded, beer in hand, kind of waiting for it to be over. Everyone's different for all types of concerts though.

Amaro
08-21-2013, 07:51 PM
It's not weird, not even for me to hear, an extreme concert-goer. I want to go everytime.

I think it's kinda weird to me you would wanna ask...but I ain't trippin'.

I will say you should probably be *happy* when they tour though, simply because that usually means he's about to release new music.

redimmunity
08-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I kind of felt the same way when they announced they were touring again, but really only for a selfish reason. I was at the final Wave Goodbye show, so it was pretty cool thinking I saw my favorite band's last show. But, I am beyond excited knowing that I'm going to get to see them live again. Plus I have about 6 people coming with who have never seen them live before, and will get to experience the magic. Plus, listening to the albums and seeing them live are two completely different experiences. The live versions of so many songs almost makes you feel like you're getting to hear new material. 24 years later and Sanctified is the perfect example.

Fist Fuck
08-21-2013, 09:06 PM
The thing is, when there's no tour, everything is "peaceful". You don't have to worry about getting tickets, how much they cost, how you get to the shows, where the band plays, if you get a good spot, what songs they play, etc. Whenever a band I like is done touring, and everything went well, I'm relieved rather than being sad about it coming to an end.

I see where you're coming from. A concert is just one way to consume and enjoy music, you enjoy the intimacy, I do too. Especially with NIN, which isn't a good-time-jump-and-clap festival band. I could tell you a bunch of bands that I love listening to but I wouldn't see their show even if they played in my city. Why? Concerts do have annoying aspects. I've been to shows where, as you mentioned, I was hoping they'd be over already. Either it's the surrounding that's annoying or even the band playing for too long (yes, concerts can be too long, and I'd rather see a great 1 hour set than a 3 hour celebration of the band's catalogue set).

On the other hand there's so many things that are exciting about a concert. It's not the 2 hours you see a band, it's everything from the anticipation after the tour announcement to the waiting in line to get in to looking at your own photos and videos years later. Right now for example I'm looking forward to the show in Milan. I already had fun planning everything, getting custom made t-shirts for my group of people, and I'm looking forward to being there, waiting in front of the venue, hear thousands of people singing my favorite songs, etc.

You probably just haven't had your "key event" yet. A show that blew your mind because you heard the right song and the right time in your life, or a show you could share with an important person in your life. Those are the memories you're paying for when you go to a show.

A concert is like sex: It can be the greatest thing ever, but sometimes it's just not as good as you had imagined it and you'd enjoy it much more all by yourself.

Ray1971
08-21-2013, 11:44 PM
Yes I have not seen nin live except the dvds.I would always have to work or something.But I have my ticket for Spokane Washington this time and already requested to take my vacation days around that time. So this will be my first nin concert in person.
Though that is technically true.

Does NIN become as popular without their live act? I mean look at some of their quintessential shows, Lolla '91, Woodstock '94, the entire Self Destruct tour are what makes NIN special.

I think if you're a NIN fan, you at one point want to see them live, especially if you haven't yet.

Are there any NIN fans on this board that haven't seen them live? Let's hear your opinions.

Scarlet Siren
08-22-2013, 03:16 AM
Not weird. Some people, if not most, are content with supporting their favourite artist by just buying the records and DVD releases. Nothing wrong with that.

More often than not, I come across more people who have been to very few concerts if any at all. My friends might see 1 or 2 a year where as I might see 2-3 on a good month, I might be considered weird on that basis *shrug* who knows?

BrokenSpiral
08-22-2013, 04:42 AM
I've seen NIN twice. Fucking awesome experiences (Would be 3, fuck you Katrina). But I was not all that amped when they announced the tour and I saw Tampa on the list. I've been pretty uninterested in going to shows, in general, the last couple of years. Not sure why really. I'd still like to see Queens though.

You guys here make the live experience so accessible though. With your wonderfully shot concert vids. Thanks ETS!

slopesandsam
08-22-2013, 05:19 AM
The thing is, when there's no tour, everything is "peaceful". You don't have to worry about getting tickets, how much they cost, how you get to the shows, where the band plays, if you get a good spot, what songs they play, etc. Whenever a band I like is done touring, and everything went well, I'm relieved rather than being sad about it coming to an end.

That is rather how I feel about concerts. If NIN are coming to my city, I feel obligated to go see my favourite band. And I do enjoy the experience. I get right in the mosh pit and bounce around and walk out so soaked that I look and feel like I jumped in a lake of other people's sweat. It's great.

But it's not the sort of great that makes me want the experience again and again and again. Whereas I'll always want to experience of listening to TDS or TF or YZ or TS for the first time again. Those experiences were orders of magnitude better than seeing the band live.

kel
08-22-2013, 12:38 PM
i get it. the first show i saw was fragility 2.0 over 13 years ago. it was overwhelming, cathartic, all that. then from early 2005 to the end of 2008 i ran myself (and my credit cards) ragged traveling to show after show. truth be told, i started getting antsy for "head like a hole" to start so i could beat the crowds leaving the arenas.

i was kinda relieved when the tension dates were announced and boise wasn't on the list. *shrug* . i suppose it has a lot to do with the fact that i'm almost 33.

Mr.Metheus
08-22-2013, 01:15 PM
I feel that way about pretty much every other band that I like. Concerts are expensive, inconvenient, and there are so many people. But NIN puts on such a great show that I'm willing to deal with all of that.

Hitman2110
08-22-2013, 02:02 PM
No. You are not weird for not caring about NIN touring. You would be weird if you collected pieces of toenails in a jar.