PDA

View Full Version : Interstellar

littlemonkey613
08-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Chris Nolan's new film to incorporate worm holes (HULLLOOO TIME TRAVEL) and contemporary theoretical physics.

Release date : November 7th 2014

http://io9.com/heres-the-first-synopsis-for-chris-nolans-new-flick-i-1124335531

"The new script chronicles the adventures of a group of explorers who make use of a newly discovered wormhole to surpass the limitations on human space travel and conquer the vast distances involved in an interstellar voyage."

"Renowned theoretical physicist Kip Thorne is consulting on the film as well as serving as executive producer"

This is my most anticipated for the next few years by miles and miles. Im obsessed with theoretical physics (on an amateur level of course). Worm holes! Black Holes! Multiverses! Time Travel! *passes out
The things I'm most excited about:

1). The fact that when Nolan does high concept he allows the concept to distort the narrative appropriately. (ie. Inception and The Prestige). This film will most likely not have a linear narrative, and judging by the concept I think it will be even less linear than Inception. He clearly does not give a fuck about whether an audience is confused. He treats his audience like god damn adults even though he's an extremely mainstream director now.

2). Can you imagine what this man will do with Time Travel?

3). Can you imagine how this man will direct space?

4) Jessica Chastain.

thevoid99
08-13-2013, 02:33 PM
5) Anne Hathaway.

I love Christopher Nolan. The dude is definitely one of the best filmmakers working today.

Highly Psychological
08-13-2013, 04:33 PM
Been waiting for this for years, it was meant to go into production way back in 2004 or something but has been in development hell, Ridley Scott was involved then i remember Steven Spielberg was about to start directing this at one point too at Pinewood studios.
It sounds mindblowing would rather Spielberg as other than the Batman pictures am not a big fan of Nolans work, i hated Inception overall , however a few scenes were really well done. However do think he has potential to make a masterpiece. Just am huge fan of Spielbergs underrated recent Science Fiction work from past decade or so, A.I, Minority Report, War of the Worlds. But still am hopeful Nolan brings something cool.

october_midnight
08-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Spreading like wildfire that Matt Damon has joined the cast.

littlemonkey613
12-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Trailer comes out with the Hobbit tonight apparently. fuuuckkk

onthewall2983
12-14-2013, 12:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=zuC3vrzzQec

r_z
12-14-2013, 01:27 PM
In my opinion Nolan's one of the most overhyped directors working today. I understand the appeal of his movies, but to me they're just all over the place posing to be something they're not. They appear to be intelligent and deep, touching "important" aspects of society and whatnot, while in reality they're just simple action movies backed by a big budget that sacrifice their narratives for shock value and action scenes that don't ever contribute to the story. This can be pretty entertaining, of course, but he's in no way in the same league as, say, Kubrick, Lynch, Cronenberg, Fincher, De Palma and the likes...

october_midnight
12-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Cronenberg? lol

Iran_Ed
12-14-2013, 02:19 PM
Cronenberg? lol
Yes Cronenberg, Fincher?

r_z
12-14-2013, 02:49 PM
Well, Fincher may be a stretch, but I think Zodiac's one of the best movies of the last 10 years, so I may be biased here...

marodi
12-14-2013, 02:56 PM
Cronenberg? lol

Yes, Cronenberg indeed. His last two movies were average (at best) but he's the guy who gave us Scanners, Videodrome, The Fly, Naked Lunch, eXistenZ (very underrated in my opinion) and A History of Violence. He's ace in my book.

Yes Cronenberg, Fincher?

Come on now. Fincher's filmography is nearly flawless. If you watch the director's version of Alien 3 (which was put together by someone else following his vision since he wouldn't have anything to do with it after the treatment the studio gave his cut) you see a very different movie; a far superior movie without glaring plot holes and silliness. Se7en? Fight Club? Zodiac? He's ace in my book too.

As for Nolan, I love him for messing with my mind. I love him for thinking that those watching his movies are intelligent enough not to be spoon fed all the answers. I hate the little clan of his fans who worship him as a god. But he's also ace in my book.

Now I'll go listen to the trailer again just to hear Matthew McConaughey Southern drawl.

thevoid99
12-14-2013, 04:15 PM
I think Nolan is aiming for something that is similar to the works of Terrence Malick with this film. I'm fucking seeing this.

aggroculture
12-14-2013, 05:06 PM
For realz? So much cliche, so much cheese in that trailer I feel like I gained several pounds just watching it.

As for Nolan, I went with Inception and dug the shit out of it.
Thought the two Batman movies I sat through were fucking awful, and gave the third a miss. I simply do not understand why anyone raves about those movies.
The Prestige was pretty silly.
Memento was cool at the time, can't imagine it having any replay value.

I guess Nolan stands out because the standard for Hollywood movies is so damn low: he has a bit of flair, a bit of style, and... good self-promotion/networking skills?
So far, he's no Gilliam/Lynch/Cronenberg not even close. His style is too mainstream bland, at least so far.

Sallos
12-14-2013, 08:19 PM
Well, Fincher may be a stretch, but I think Zodiac's one of the best movies of the last 10 years, so I may be biased here...

Along with There Will be Blood most definitely.

After Inception and the last batman movie, i just couldn't care less about Mr Nolan.

Highly Psychological
12-15-2013, 12:04 AM
Im amazed at how bad that clip was. It reminded me of fucking Apollo 13.

richardp
12-15-2013, 01:13 AM
…how? Just because it shows stock footage from real life space travel? You know how many movies have shown stock footage like that before? A LOT. The actual footage shown in the teaser looks NOTHING like Apollo 13. If anything it looks like Star Trek and Looper.

Exploding Plastic
12-15-2013, 01:24 AM

What this teaser did was make people aware that Christopher Nolan has a new movie coming out. This was the definition of a "teaser". Sure, people like us all knew that a movie called "Interstellar" was being released by Nolan sometime in the future but the general public had no idea it was happening.

Christopher Nolan has serious cred since the Dark Knight movies/Inception and now people recognize the name. The simple announcement of a new movie from him is sufficient to who this teaser was marketed to. Brilliant move, imo. I'll wait for more but like everything this guy does, it has me interested. I watch this and I think: Christopher Nolan + Space = ... and that's all I need.

onthewall2983
12-15-2013, 01:25 AM

Armageddon would have been my go-to. Apollo 13 still stands up. Not that the teaser is bad (the post above me has it right), just saying that Apollo 13 isn't.

fillow
12-15-2013, 03:28 AM
People bitching about how bad the teaser was... Seriously? It shows maybe 2 seconds of actual movie footage. Yes, it doesn't tell anything about the movie, but as someone said, its purpose is just to notify people that something is coming.

Mutilated
12-15-2013, 06:10 AM
I actually can't think of a worse teaser. Awful.

dpeters
12-15-2013, 01:26 PM
I've been a big fan of Nolan since I was able to view a Memento prior to DVD release. His weakest film was, imo, The Dark Knight Rises.Memento always struck me as a really good meditation on grief, loss, and guilt. One might argue that the greatest weakness in Nolan's work is the commonality of these themes (used in smaller films like The Prestige, Memento, and Following as well as the already mentioned big budget films like Inception and the Dark Knight series). Despite the big budgets, he's largely kept to films that resonated for me on an emotional level (Rises excepted).Overrating and underrating are meta concerns: they say nothing of the quality of the films themselves and more about the quality of criticism at play.As for Interstellar, I'm curious as to how it'll work.

He's got a great new cast and crew on this:

ltrandazzo
12-16-2013, 02:57 PM
I got goosebumps watching that teaser yesterday before The Hobbit. Thought it was brilliant.

littlemonkey613
12-18-2013, 04:22 PM
O shit so my dad is working at the LA Convention Center right now and he came home from work last night like "oh man I saw incredible spaceships today. They had the whole thing set up with tons of spaceships from a new movie coming out I think its called Interstellar or something." I was like....

Anyways he says they look incredible and that most of the planes were one man fighter ships "like Star Wars". Color me even more intrigued!

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-19-2013, 12:42 AM
The Dark Knight Rises was garbage. Inception, Begins, and Memento I think are his best movies. The trailer was nothing but "Yawn".. wake me up when we get some actual movie footage.

Kodiak33
12-19-2013, 07:23 AM
I think the Prestige is my favorite of his.

neorev
12-19-2013, 09:38 AM
I absolutely love The Prestige...
Not just my personal fave from Nolan, but up there with my all time favorite movies.

Canuckle
12-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Has it become cool to hate Chris Nolan yet? Or are we past that and now in the phase of ironically liking his movies? This thread confuses me on Nolan's current 'coolness' factor...

(I enjoy Nolan's work for what it is now at this point in his career. Large, loud, blockbusters that will try and stretch your mind a bit. They are fun.

Now only if Wes Anderson saw this much hate for making the same movie but in a different universe every 2 years.)

littlemonkey613
05-15-2014, 05:02 PM
New trailer with Godzilla tomorrow.

Also was trying to think of more reasons why I'm so obsessed with his work, pretty much he's the only Hollywood guy whose films remind me of anime. lol

A lot of anime that I like has this tendency to not worry about whether exposition is classy in order to look at a narrative and fuck. shit. up. I just like the man's priorities. (obviously the batman films don't really count structure wise, but they were all excellent in my opinion.)

I think he is really the only blockbuster director actually subverting formula, and our marriage to what makes a good narrative from a mainstream standpoint. Or rather, he saw what he could do on a smaller scale (The Prestige and Memento) and decided to apply that system of writing to his blockbusters, and so Inception was birthed. I assume Interstellar will follow the same fuck shit up mentality.

Anyways my point is I will gladly take what people consider to be his flaws (obvious exposition, some minor characters who seem less human and more like plot devices etc.) if it means abandoning classic structure, letting high concept define the narrative style and allowing a thematic idea to reach its most "out there" possible conclusion. I just don't see anyone else doing this shit right now when it comes to really mainstream movies.

richardp
05-15-2014, 08:01 PM
I saw the new trailer yesterday at work and it's REALLY good. Tons of footage on earth and really only goes into Space during the last like 30 seconds, but man was I blown away. The space suits look suuuuuper retro. I am really hyped for this movie.

Swykk
05-15-2014, 08:13 PM
I really like Nolan and think the backlash is stupid. Man of Steel sucked bad but now that it's common knowledge any input he had, which amounted to some phone calls, was shut down by Snyder and Goyer, let the silly Nolan hate be done with! Oh, you hated TDKR? That's ONE of his movies. So fucking quit it already...

AgentofChaos
05-16-2014, 12:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSWdZVtXT7E

ambergris
05-16-2014, 01:36 PM
The trailer looks great. If this doesn't make me love a Nolan movie, then nothing ever will.

Rabbit
05-16-2014, 01:58 PM
New trailer with Godzilla tomorrow.

Also was trying to think of more reasons why I'm so obsessed with his work, pretty much he's the only Hollywood guy whose films remind me of anime. lol

A lot of anime that I like has this tendency to not worry about whether exposition is classy in order to look at a narrative and fuck. shit. up. I just like the man's priorities. (obviously the batman films don't really count structure wise, but they were all excellent in my opinion.)

I think he is really the only blockbuster director actually subverting formula, and our marriage to what makes a good narrative from a mainstream standpoint. Or rather, he saw what he could do on a smaller scale (The Prestige and Memento) and decided to apply that system of writing to his blockbusters, and so Inception was birthed. I assume Interstellar will follow the same fuck shit up mentality.

Anyways my point is I will gladly take what people consider to be his flaws (obvious exposition, some minor characters who seem less human and more like plot devices etc.) if it means abandoning classic structure, letting high concept define the narrative style and allowing a thematic idea to reach its most "out there" possible conclusion. I just don't see anyone else doing this shit right now when it comes to really mainstream movies.
Huh? Have you watched any of the Wachowski siblings movies ? they deliver anime more than Nolan by a long shot. I don't even consider Nolan's style even remotely close to anime.

ironic that the trailer music for interstellar is from v for vendetta. Nolan takes many cues from the siblings.

littlemonkey613
05-16-2014, 02:03 PM
Huh? Have you watched any of the Wachowski siblings movies ? they deliver anime more than Nolan by a long shot. I don't even consider Nolan's style even remotely close to anime.

Yeah I dig their shit a lot too, though besides The Matrix I don't enjoy their films nearly as much. I think the main strengths of Cloud Atlas and V for Vendetta were innate to the source material, which I enjoy a lot more in both cases. I guess I was more commenting on how he structures his films and how the narrative is effected by the concept. I didn't just mean outright visually. His writing style, and how far he'll take a concept definitely. Your right the the Wachowski siblings do anime shit.

thevoid99
05-16-2014, 03:57 PM
Wow.... the scenes in space look fucking amazing. Nolan must've taken some of his cues from Malick and maybe got invited to the editing room for Gravity as well. I'm fucking there.

Alexandros
05-16-2014, 11:17 PM
Great trailer, I hope the feeling of awe that permeates it carries into the film as well. I'm always a sucker for mankind's ventures into space, and the urgency implied by the trailer will hopefully make it even more gripping. The big question is where the film will end. Will it be just as the spaceship enters the wormhole, or are they holding back what could possibly be the second half or final third of the movie? I'm not sure what I would prefer, I guess it could work both ways.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
05-16-2014, 11:42 PM
Matthew McConaughey... nuff said. This looks fantastic, and what a genius build up from the first lackluster trailer.

onthewall2983
05-17-2014, 05:48 PM
Looks good. There are no two ways around it, as a space movie it will stand long and hard in the shadow of Gravity but if there's one guy working now who can at least match the intensity of it, it's Nolan.

Fixer808
05-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Me to a friend: "What if it turns out that Nolan had a huge bombshell to drop, and as you're watching the film you suddenly realize it's a prequel to 'Event Horizon'...?"
Him: "Oh my GOD, that would be INCREDIBLE!! Whatever it turns out to be won't be as good now, thanks a lot!"

cahernandez
05-18-2014, 05:08 PM
I don't understand why people here say that TDKR was "garbage" or "weak". Sure, not the best in the trilogy, Bane and Talia Al Ghul's death were anticlimactic (specially Bane's) but Bane's fight against Batman in the sewers is in my opinion the best sequence in the trilogy. The lack of score music amplified the gravity of the battle, the pure noise of the drains and water splashing made the scene a lot more chilling. You hear all the punches and blows without any music to set the tone, mastery in filmmaking. And the rest of the movie was good, not great. But a decent finale to the series.

On point: call me crazy but Murphy (little girl in the teaser, Matthew McConaughey's daughter) looks veeery similar to Anne Hathaway. Maybe she goes to space to look for her dad in the future? After all, in that brief scene with Anne Hathaway (1:52 mark) Matthew is nowhere to be seen. So could be possible.

littlemonkey613
05-18-2014, 05:48 PM
On point: call me crazy but Murphy (little girl in the teaser, Matthew McConaughey's daughter) looks veeery similar to Anne Hathaway. Maybe she goes to space to look for her dad in the future? After all, in that brief scene with Anne Hathaway (1:52 mark) Matthew is nowhere to be seen. So could be possible.

I remember reading recently that it was pretty much confirmed that Chastain was cast as older Murphy

Swykk
07-30-2014, 01:54 PM
http://collider.com/interstellar-trailer-comic-con/

Comic con trailer is out now. Really looking forward to this.

Deadpool
07-30-2014, 02:24 PM
Wow! The Kubrick and Malick influence is already apparent! I'm more excited than ever after that trailer.

Doesn't look like The McConaissance is coming to an end any time soon either - McConaughey seems poised to tear it up yet again. Can't wait.

orestes
07-30-2014, 09:32 PM
That last frame, wow.

klang
07-30-2014, 09:50 PM
Really excited to see this, especially in Imax. Loving how huge the sense of wonder is just from the first couple of trailers....

onthewall2983
09-16-2014, 10:43 AM
http://d1oi7t5trwfj5d.cloudfront.net/0e/64/bd3193e34b66be4852058129bf42/interstellar-poster.jpg

onthewall2983
09-17-2014, 05:20 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxxEC7BCcAE1m3S.jpg

I think I like this one better.

onthewall2983
09-27-2014, 08:31 PM
The runtime is 169 minutes.

ImTheWiseJanitor
09-27-2014, 09:41 PM

Fucking awesome.

thevoid99
09-27-2014, 10:56 PM

Fuck yeah!!!

onthewall2983
09-29-2014, 11:56 AM
Nolan on Spielberg's influence, as well as that of 2001: A Space Odyssey and The Right Stuff (http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/christopher-nolan-talks-influence-of-close-encounters-the-right-stuff-2001-and-more-on-interstellar-20140929).

onthewall2983
10-01-2014, 11:00 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVgawHv6Ngs

ambergris
10-27-2014, 11:43 AM
Review up on The Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oct/27/interstellar-first-look-review-matthew-mcconoughey

Unfortunately, it sounds like what I generally believe to be the weakness of Nolan's movies: A whole lot of structure, not a lot of heart.

onthewall2983
11-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Details and tracklisting for Hans Zimmer's score (http://thefilmstage.com/news/details-and-tracklist-for-hans-zimmers-interstellar-score/), which will come out in three editions. Very cool.

Substance242
11-02-2014, 11:01 AM
How Building a Black Hole for Interstellar Led to an Amazing Scientific Discovery:
http://www.wired.com/2014/10/astrophysics-interstellar-black-hole/

Very nice article, sometimes raytracing is not good enough. :-) I was curious what else were Double Negative working on - e.g. Godzilla (2014, don't laugh, in my opinion good movie), but mainly - Children of Men. I saw this 2006 film only some 3 weeks ago, and I am STILL (!) thinking about it almost every day. Strong story, perfect Clive Owen, and thousand of effect out of which I have noticed NONE. Immersive, to see it in cinema must have been something else. I love long shots, even when they were not really done in one go... Gravity was movie of 2013 for me. :-) OK, so much for Interstellar then! ;-)

littlemonkey613
11-04-2014, 03:50 PM
Seeing tomorrow night in 70 mm IMAX. I wont survive.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
11-06-2014, 04:56 AM
Hope you're not seeing it at the TCL Chinese. I caught it today and the presentation was pretty shit, especially the sound. Though it is hard to say whether the sound issue is a Chinese problem or a Nolan one, beyond that theater's characteristic reverb.

telee.kom
11-06-2014, 04:47 PM
** SPOILERS AHEAD **

I gotta say I didn't like it very much. Sure there were amazing moments, McConaughey acting was stellar, in some scenes I was really close to tearing up, although I gotta say in the beginning of the movie he seemed to overplay some of the scenes. Effects were mindblowing, the visual style of Interstellar was in league of its own.

But firstly, it was so long. First third of the movie was flat out boring to me, I understand why it was there, but I think it could be done in half of the time to the same effect. I didn't understand the motivation of lot of characters in the story, fe. McConaughey's son can save lives of his family, but he rather choose to let them all die for absolutely no reason? The Mann guy on the second planet? I completely missed his point why he rather choose to kill McConaughey. They didn't have the fuel to go back to earth, they would go to the third planet anyway. Or what was his deal? It just seems to me that lot of the conflicts in this movie was there just for the sake of being and it didn't make any sense. The ending was, well, weird. I think it would have much more emotional impact if McConaughey would reunite with his daughter whilst she in the age where they communicate with each other. This dying old self of her felt really weird to me and it didn't have that emotional impact that was intended, or at least the impact I would have expected.

Lot of people didn't like the black hole 5th dimmension stuff towards the end, but I gotta say that's the only part of the movie I really loved. I actually think this part made the most sense to me, no matter how weird that sounds. I was confused about lot of things and maybe I just didn't get this movie, I don't know. But it was a let down to me.

theruiner
11-06-2014, 07:51 PM
Hope you're not seeing it at the TCL Chinese. I caught it today and the presentation was pretty shit, especially the sound. Though it is hard to say whether the sound issue is a Chinese problem or a Nolan one, beyond that theater's characteristic reverb.Eeek! Not just your theater. Uh oh.

http://www.slashfilm.com/interstellar-sound-issues/

mrselfdestruct94
11-07-2014, 06:01 PM
Saw this movie earlier today. I've never had such a mixed reaction, which I suppose is a good thing. There were parts that were wonderful, dull, heartbreaking, confusing, beautiful, silly, mesmerizing, corny, thought-provoking, all wrapped in a near three hour experience that felt both way too long and not long enough. I can't quite put into words what I experienced watching it yet, as I'm still thinking about the movie and reviewing it in my mind and trying to figure out if what I saw was truly genius or pretentious overindulgence. Perhaps both?

Maybe that's the whole point of this film: To experience an array of emotions while dissecting its themes and message, ultimately coming to your own conclusion of whether or not it was worth your time after a few hours (or hell, days) to consider what was on the screen. I would recommend seeing it because of how well made the film is in terms of visuals, acting, and Holy Shit, The Score! I would recommend seeing it because it really is a unique experience.

Tums206_BFY
11-08-2014, 05:10 AM
Weird captivating film. Great score! I liked it overall but I can definitely see why some wouldn't, there were some plot holes/questions that weren't really answered or explained. Clocks in at nearly 2 hours and 50 minutes I believe so a pretty long movie. BTW I by no means can say I understand the film fully there was some stuff that was confusing and just weird my friend thought it was ok but we were discussing it all the way to when he dropped me off at home. For the most part though I enjoyed the film.

shazbot
11-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Saw it last night and I think it was pretty good. Expected a good sci-fi movie and wasnt disappointed. Some good acting and really nice effects/props.

Something that did bother me was the level/or the quality of the sound. Before the movie started, the cinema personal informed us that the volume was a bit higher in some scenes (rockets, explosions and such) since they had focused setting the volume to match the dialogue. For someone like me that has a more sensitive hearing (due to tinnitus) the music/sound effects in some scenes were pretty much shit since it was too loud. Which sucked, because I was really looking forward to that delicious zimmer score along with some powerful scenes.

Millionaire
11-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Saw this. It was very much a mixed bag, with some incredible stuff and some things that didn't work so well. I would compare it to Contact, the movie with Jodie Foster(and McConaughey, too) where there is this great build up, and the ending is this weird metaphysical thing that is, to me, kind of a let down. Overall I liked it, but only slightly.

The film looks awesome on Imax, and yes, the sound had some issues.

implanted_microchip
11-08-2014, 03:13 PM
I really enjoyed it; it took me on the trip it was attempting to take, and I felt constantly involved and engaged. Lots of breathtaking moments for me.

Something I definitely want to applaud it for that can't be said enough is that it's a sci-fi film that isn't just another action adventure film with a space setting painted over it. As much as I enjoy things like Guardians of the Galaxy, it's very refreshing to see such a major blockbuster film focus on subject matter and ideas that are what a lot of deeper sci-fi novels explore.

Substance242
11-08-2014, 05:34 PM
Just coming from cinema, it was good. After maybe one hour the movie started to lose me, but the end was fantastic, like "it was me" and that emotional stuff. I did not even expect certain actor to appear in this film. Sound was very good, quite loud in some places, in one moment even unexpected and scary. I am not going to do what I did after Gravity last year - to go two more times to see it again, and again. Anne Hathaway sometimes looked like she was not sure who she is, how to act.

And Slovak subtitles were (again) obviously done by someone who did not see the movie - but this is common these times, the companies just don't give them quality video because they're scared shitless, maybe 20x10 pixels of streaming buffering nonsense.

GoodSoldier333
11-08-2014, 10:48 PM
I love one genre to death and it's science fiction. Instead of writing about what I liked about this thing, I really want to go through what I thought the problem was. And i think the best way of doing this is to talk vaguely and generally instead of going through [many] specifics. I'll do my best to stay away from spoilers with very general hints and explanations.

With the screenplay, things just bounced around and it didn't feel like events racked up properly....or as well as they could have. It just didn't flow at times.

I think the term "it broke its own rules" adheres. With sci-fi, many of the great films establish their rules and tell a story within those parameters. I thought Interstellar escaped that boundary of "rules" and went into fantasy. And yes, before you tell me that this is "science-fiction" and fantasy does play a role in it, it shouldn't be to the point where you're sitting in the movie theater watching this thing and CLEARLY you're no longer in a sci-fi setting but a fantasy setting (I'm looking right at that last act of this film).

I read that Nolan had a large number of scientific ideas presented to him (regarding occurrences and sequences in space) and he had to cut out the majority of them and just go with a few. I thought what he chose to go with was too much. Again, speaking extremely vaguely here....once the film shifts into a completely new setting in the second half.....look at how many things were getting involved all at once (different planets [conflict], black holes [conflict], planets ridiculously close to black holes [conflict], hours spent here=yrs spent there [conflict], unique occurrences like giant waves [conflict]). Let's face some kind of reality here: There were way too many "issues" in a "galaxy far, far away" for Cooper and Co. to have a solution/get out of jail card for. Furthermore, it totally seemed like "okay, we have to deal with this problem right now" but the script/screenplay kept moving so "okay, i guess that problem is no longer a big issue because now we have to deal with this new problem".

Once you've watched the whole movie and have a second or two to think literally everything through, i think a lot of people will say "this part was a bit far-fetched", "as was this part".

Oh, and the sudden introduction of "said actor" until the conclusion of the story of "said actor" was the worst act of the film. My goodness, it was Sunshine all over again.

Let's be honest though...science fiction is a tough genre to tackle. Very tough. I think Nolan did such a great job regardless of all the negative I pointed out here.

Rdm
11-09-2014, 01:57 AM
INTERSTELLAR!! This might be the best movie I have ever scene, Bravo Fucking-ohhh Christipher nolan.

I forgot how it feels to be so emotional in a movie theater, there was like 10 scenes where I Was hold back tears. Just incredible

theruiner
11-09-2014, 09:30 AM
I saw this yesterday in 70mm IMAX glory. I pretty much loved it. Nolan has been one of my favorite directors since Memento and I had high hopes for this movie and I was not let down. Yes, the film had issues (the dialogue, especially in the first half of the movie, was REALLY clunky, for example) but the good stuff was so good that it more than made up for whatever flaws it had. I would say that the movie really didn't grab me until they went to space, but after that I was all in. I keep hearing criticism that Nolan once again made a movie with no heart but I honestly cannot for the life of me figure out what those people are talking about. This was probably the most emotionally engaging movie he's ever made and there is a scene in this movie (I won't even hint at what it is) where I am pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The saddest moment in a film I have seen in quite awhile.

Anyway, yes. It was fantastic.

Rdm
11-09-2014, 01:38 PM
I saw this yesterday in 70mm IMAX glory. I pretty much loved it. Nolan has been one of my favorite directors since Memento and I had high hopes for this movie and I was not let down. Yes, the film had issues (the dialogue, especially in the first half of the movie, was REALLY clunky, for example) but the good stuff was so good that it more than made up for whatever flaws it had. I would say that the movie really didn't grab me until they went to space, but after that I was all in. I keep hearing criticism that Nolan once again made a movie with no heart but I honestly cannot for the life of me figure out what those people are talking about. This was probably the most emotionally engaging movie he's ever made and there is a scene in this movie (I won't even hint at what it is) where I am pretty sure there wasn't a dry eye in the house. The saddest moment in a film I have seen in quite awhile.

Anyway, yes. It was fantastic.

I agree, I left the theater feeling emotionally drained, but in good way. Also, I can't for the life of me figure out why some critics are saying negative things, it's honestly my favorite Nolan movie.I have read from fans that "its too long", honestly if someone can't sit through a movie thats 3 hours long then maybe they need to see a psychiatrist about getting some medication, JK of course, but COME ON. .

thevoid99
11-09-2014, 08:08 PM
I saw it earlier today. I enjoyed it though there were some flaws in the third act as I felt like it got very conventional at times while I was aware of what it was trying to do. Still, I think it's something that has to be seen. I don't think it's Nolan's best film but still an excellent one. Here's my review.
(http://thevoid99.blogspot.com/2014/11/interstellar.html)

onthewall2983
11-09-2014, 08:09 PM
"Awesome" is probably the most overused word in the English language, but it's movies like this that makes you really think about what that means. Sure everything doesn't work exactly but what does makes those complaints a distant concern. Me and dad (who I caught with a few tears in his eyes towards the end) had to sit about as close to the screen as we could since we were running quite close to the showtime, but seeing it that close kind of brought me easier to that place of awe, so it'll be awhile before I can process it completely.

GoodSoldier333
11-09-2014, 10:04 PM
I don't mean to stir anything whatsoever, just healthy conversation about this film. :) Despite my earlier complaints, i enjoyed this thing a lot! But for those of you on here who have said that you really liked this thing/had less to complain about, did the following bother anyone else as much as it did me (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Okay, so the one big emotional tie in this movie is the bond between father and daughter. Nolan has been talking a lot about this relationship in his personal life, that's what he tried to instill onto Matthew Mcconaughey in their first meeting, and it's what the majority of this film involved. So skip to the end, his daughter finally sees him. And she shoos him away after the briefest of conversations, just like that. They've been apart for what, 60/70+ yrs....she's about to DIE, as in she definitely won't see him again after this. From Vulture's website on Interstellar: "The elderly Murphy Cooper spends two years in a space-travel cryo-freeze, apparently two of the very last years of her life, to finally be reunited with her father — and she more or less chases him out of the room after a couple minutes." I found this scene a huge heart-breaker. As in, after that 3 hour/lifelong build-up, if i were either the father or the daughter in real life...that is definitely not how our reunion would have went. At all.

What do you guys think? I seem to be on the outside looking in here. I honestly believe that in terms of this scene's significance towards the entire film's message, this was such a poorly executed scene.

Rdm
11-10-2014, 01:01 AM
I don't mean to stir anything whatsoever, just healthy conversation about this film. :) Despite my earlier complaints, i enjoyed this thing a lot! But for those of you on here who have said that you really liked this thing/had less to complain about, did the following bother anyone else as much as it did me (SPOILERS AHEAD):

Okay, so the one big emotional tie in this movie is the bond between father and daughter. Nolan has been talking a lot about this relationship in his personal life, that's what he tried to instill onto Matthew Mcconaughey in their first meeting, and it's what the majority of this film involved. So skip to the end, his daughter finally sees him. And she shoos him away after the briefest of conversations, just like that. They've been apart for what, 60/70+ yrs....she's about to DIE, as in she definitely won't see him again after this. From Vulture's website on Interstellar: "The elderly Murphy Cooper spends two years in a space-travel cryo-freeze, apparently two of the very last years of her life, to finally be reunited with her father — and she more or less chases him out of the room after a couple minutes." I found this scene a huge heart-breaker. As in, after that 3 hour/lifelong build-up, if i were either the father or the daughter in real life...that is definitely not how our reunion would have went. At all.

What do you guys think? I seem to be on the outside looking in here. I honestly believe that in terms of this scene's significance towards the entire film's message, this was such a poorly executed scene.

i agree with that, but I don't think it took away from the movie.

Deadpool
11-10-2014, 01:48 AM
Racetrack from BSG has a cameo! Made the movie for me!

In all seriousness: I'm sure there are plenty of plot-holes that will become more and more clear to me on repeat viewings, but even if this movie missed the mark intellectually, it is outstanding on an emotional level. I didn't cry as hard as I did watching TDKR, but I still openly wept during Interstellar and really had to fight back some tears. Coop watching his children's video messages was when I really lost it. That scene was devastating on multiple levels. It felt like a really sad, beautiful comment on loss, death, and reconciling those feelings of being abandoned & growing lonely from a young age. Great, great work from Casey Affleck (and of course McConaughey). My father died when I was around the age of Murph when Coop left Earth, so watching the parent/child relationships evolve after that point was really intense for me in a good way.

I saw it in IMAX, and I personally loved the sound. I won't be able to see this movie in a standard theater because I want to be crushed by the sound effects and music - and I was.

Rdm
11-10-2014, 03:17 AM
I really hope hans zimmer releases a deluxe vinyl package. the cd version can be Pre=ordered here http://www.myplaydirect.com/interstellar-soundtrack/interstellar-soundtrack-illuminated-star-projection-edition/details/33155828

I thought the score really added to the emotional level of the movie. Cant wait to get my hands on, IF, they make a vinyl edition.

liquidcalm
11-11-2014, 05:30 AM

All spoiler tags hooo
I actually thought that the final scene between the two was remarkably mature. Murphy had all her life to think about and come to terms with the moment. What else was there to do, she was going to die, and didn't want her father to see her beyond knowing that he did finally keep his promise. That to me said it all.

There were lots of little niggles I had with the film walking out of the cinema, but having slept on it, I'm pretty happy with how understated most of it was, the special effects were brilliant, yet never intrusive, which I really admire. Everything felt grounded, even when dealing with some pretty out-there leaps of imagination. Yeah its not as 'scientific' as it was perhaps sold as, but the best sci-fi films rarely are (or they are Primer). 7.5/10. Would watch again.

implanted_microchip
11-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Y'know, I hate to say this, but the more that days have gone by since seeing it, every time I've found myself thinking of it again, it's been me realizing things I actually didn't care for. I really was hoping this would be like Inception, where I found nothing but good things to say for the week after seeing it, but now it's like the exact opposite. I don't know what it is specifically, but it's like now that I'm past that initial-viewing high and excitement of finally seeing it, but I just keep realizing how almost none of my favorite things about it had anything to do with the story itself, or any of the characters besides Cooper and the robots.

The first thing I realized that was absolutely negative was that if I ever want to watch this again, I'll have to sit through the first 40 minutes all over again, and no movie should leave me dreading rewatching it because of how it begins.

I don't know, I really did enjoy it, but it's the kind of thing where the more you reflect on it and think about it, the more it starts to fall apart.

Wretchedest
11-11-2014, 07:25 PM
It's hilarious how far out of it's way this movie goes not to mention global warming, since it's only there to further an environmentalist agenda.

Satyr
11-11-2014, 09:43 PM
It's hilarious how far out of it's way this movie goes not to mention global warming, since it's only there to further an environmentalist agenda.

The Earth will become unable to sustain human life eventually.....Global warming is man made liberal bullshit. Why bother to mention it?

wizfan
11-12-2014, 04:26 PM
Wasn't very impressed by the movie, overall. Plus, I hated the score.

october_midnight
11-12-2014, 04:29 PM
Global warming is man made liberal bullshit.

I categorically refuse to believe that any functioning adult with half a brain, in the year 2014, still buys in to this. I just can't believe it. Can't happen.

Wretchedest
11-12-2014, 09:07 PM
I categorically refuse to believe that any functioning adult with half a brain, in the year 2014, still buys in to this. I just can't believe it. Can't happen.it certainly appears that christopher nolan still buys into that.

This movie was like a contest to see how many time they could get me to roll ny eyes, during and after the movie.

Christopher Nolan's "Signs"

orestes
11-12-2014, 09:20 PM
Guys, don't feed the obvious trolls.

Satyr
11-12-2014, 10:32 PM
Guys, don't feed the obvious trolls.

Not trolling. Just stating facts. The Earth has gone through hot and cool phases over millions of years.

Alexandros
11-13-2014, 10:00 AM
I really liked it. Like many have said, it has its failings, mostly the fact that it jumps from one plot point to another in ways that you feel don't add up or are gimmicky, but I don't know...it was quite a riveting experience for me! And really, this point about it having no heart is probably the most bizzare criticism one can make about this specific film, it sounds like the opposite of fanboyism, like criticism of Nolan on autopilot. It's probably Nolan's most emotional film to date.

Soundtrack was great, sound was great, visual effects and space sequences top notch. Finally, you can really see the nods to 2001: A Space Odyssey I think, but by no means does Interstellar lack its own space aesthetic.

I also really didn't mind the almost certainly present scientific inaccuracies or straight-up fantasies. I was engaged enough that it didn't seem to matter.

seasonsinthesky
11-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Y'know, I hate to say this, but the more that days have gone by since seeing it, every time I've found myself thinking of it again, it's been me realizing things I actually didn't care for. I really was hoping this would be like Inception, where I found nothing but good things to say for the week after seeing it, but now it's like the exact opposite. I don't know what it is specifically, but it's like now that I'm past that initial-viewing high and excitement of finally seeing it, but I just keep realizing how almost none of my favorite things about it had anything to do with the story itself, or any of the characters besides Cooper and the robots.

I don't know, I really did enjoy it, but it's the kind of thing where the more you reflect on it and think about it, the more it starts to fall apart.

this, exactly — except it was the walk home from the theatre when i realized it. even my favourite part (the black hole and post-) was so mired in 2001 worship and poorly scripted, poorly paced, overwrought 'emotion' that it was rendered crap, for me.

i didn't give a shit about anyone in this film except Murph, and even then she was rendered hollow halfway through.

also, my biggest issue: Nolan tried very, very hard to answer every question in the film, so it suffers from about 3 or 4 endings, all of them lame compared to how horribly my brain could have been destroyed by twisting the questions with more questions (like most directors worth a shit would do with this material). the worst part of this issue was that LOVE IS THE ANSWER GUYS! fucking gag.

implanted_microchip
11-13-2014, 09:25 PM
also, my biggest issue: Nolan tried very, very hard to answer every question in the film, so it suffers from about 3 or 4 endings

I still think the entire final ten minutes were utterly pointless and added nothing genuinely worthwhile to the film; which surprised me, since Nolan almost always picks excellent cut-off points. If it had ended on Cooper saying "Where do we go now?" in the tesseract, I'd've been a lot happier with it, and think that would've been a great moment to end it at. Instead it's like they felt that the audience was too dumb to understand that they had the data and were saving humanity so they made damn sure everyone understood that.

Alexandros
11-13-2014, 09:55 PM
LOVE IS THE ANSWER GUYS! fucking gag.

Although I really, REALLY understand your sentiment (I've had similar reactions to its use in other settings), for some reason it didn't bother me in this one. I was certainly aware of its presence, like a big, drunken elephant peeking behind a tree, but I just...rolled with it. I'd be interested to get a psychological analysis on this!

wizfan
11-14-2014, 05:24 AM
I was annoyed that his son was essentially fucked over at the end. What, just because "he chose to let him go" doesn't mean he didn't deserve a second chance.

Rabbit
11-16-2014, 05:46 PM
Another typical Nolan film. It's merely an OK movie that his fans will champion up and down. I'm getting tired of his shtick though... the flash backs, the insane decibels Zimmer pounds you with, the expositions that mean nothing and is so forced fed down our throats. He takes himself far too seriously and i'm convinced he's gone up so far into his own ass to realize it. Film is marred with bad acting, bad dialogue, chunky plot with holes bigger than the black hole depicted in the movie itself.

He's really nothing more than a more mature version of Michael Bay.

R-Dot-Yung
11-16-2014, 07:59 PM
This was a beautiful movie with a fantastic score that made no sense. I enjoyed watching it, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again.

SPOILERS:
--------------------
Is it ever explained how the time-loop was initiated? I have no problem with the way space effected time or anything that we actually "see" happen on screen. I have a problem with everything we don't see. Whatever timeline is depicted in the movie is not the "original" timeline, and I can't fathom any scenario in which the original timeline creates the circumstances for to allow the events we see on screen take place.

And even IF the time-loop made sense, how the hell did Humans get onto the space stations in 50 years?

I think I'm over Nolan's shit.
--------------------
END OF SPOILERS:

Alexandros
11-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Is it ever explained how the time-loop was initiated? I have no problem with the way space effected time or anything that we actually "see" happen on screen. I have a problem with everything we don't see. Whatever timeline is depicted in the movie is not the "original" timeline, and I can't fathom any scenario in which the original timeline creates the circumstances for to allow the events we see on screen take place.

And even IF the time-loop made sense, how the hell did Humans get onto the space stations in 50 years?

The timeline follows the commonly-seen-in-movies paradox that basically the future affects the past so that the future can happen. So we do actually see the "original" timeline, even if this word is pretty meaningless in this case. If Murphy hadn't noticed the dust patterns, Cooper wouldn't have found NASA and travelled to space and thus wouldn't have caused the dust patterns etc etc. As for humans making it to space stations, the main hurdle for that was the lack of a gravity drive that would be able to send a huge amount of mass (people and big spacecrafts) to space. Since the equations were solved through the transmission of data from the black hole, the rest was relatively simple I guess.

R-Dot-Yung
11-16-2014, 09:09 PM
The timeline follows the commonly-seen-in-movies paradox that basically the future affects the past so that the future can happen. So we do actually see the "original" timeline, even if this word is pretty meaningless in this case. If Murphy hadn't noticed the dust patterns, Cooper wouldn't have found NASA and travelled to space and thus wouldn't have caused the dust patterns etc etc. As for humans making it to space stations, the main hurdle for that was the lack of a gravity drive that would be able to send a huge amount of mass (people and big spacecrafts) to space. Since the equations were solved through the transmission of data from the black hole, the rest was relatively simple I guess.

Okay but,

I'm referring to the idea of the black hole being created by 5th dimensional beings from the future to save earth, that's why it falls apart. If the black hole was not "artificial" and put there for the purpose of Matthew falling into it and introducing the loop, then it wouldn't matter. However the story implies that there is a version of the story that exists without the loop which progresses to the point where 5th dimensional humans build this loop to occur to save earth?

Fuck it...

Rabbit
11-17-2014, 05:40 AM
7 biggest problems with interstellar http://www.salon.com/2014/11/11/the_7_biggest_problems_with_interstellar_partner/

the whole thing is downright bad. Nolan will finally be downgraded as he should've never been uplifted to such heights.

sentient02970
11-17-2014, 06:26 AM
I can't get over how much of a slap Zimmer gets over the mix of the final cut! It's not his fault they over-mixed his score to the dialogue. In fact, I only noticed this happening once during the film. Even then, I didn't feel the dialogue was terribly important. I personally think that his score here was very different than what he's done in previous films and fit quite well. Overall, I loved the film.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/17/christopher-nolan-addresses-interstellar-sound-complaints
http://screencrush.com/christopher-nolan-interstellar-sound/ (http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/17/christopher-nolan-addresses-interstellar-sound-complaints)

Rabbit
11-17-2014, 03:39 PM
I can't get over how much of a slap Zimmer gets over the mix of the final cut! It's not his fault they over-mixed his score to the dialogue. In fact, I only noticed this happening once during the film. Even then, I didn't feel the dialogue was terribly important. I personally think that his score here was very different than what he's done in previous films and fit quite well. Overall, I loved the film.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/17/christopher-nolan-addresses-interstellar-sound-complaints
(http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/11/17/christopher-nolan-addresses-interstellar-sound-complaints)http://screencrush.com/christopher-nolan-interstellar-sound/

It's not just that though. Zimmer pounds on shit all the time. Everything is brass and in your face regardless of the mix. He's the perfect companion to Nolan. They both assume if they blast things in your face loud enough it will get you to feel something. It's a Michael Bay explosion tactic. The mix applied to Interstellar just makes this even worse.

R-Dot-Yung
11-17-2014, 05:28 PM
7 biggest problems with interstellar http://www.salon.com/2014/11/11/the_7_biggest_problems_with_interstellar_partner/

the whole thing is downright bad. Nolan will finally be downgraded as he should've never been uplifted to such heights.

Number 7 is exactly what I was trying to articulate in my above post...thank god someone can write better than me.

littlemonkey613
11-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Okay but,

I'm referring to the idea of the black hole being created by 5th dimensional beings from the future to save earth, that's why it falls apart. If the black hole was not "artificial" and put there for the purpose of Matthew falling into it and introducing the loop, then it wouldn't matter. However the story implies that there is a version of the story that exists without the loop which progresses to the point where 5th dimensional humans build this loop to occur to save earth?

Fuck it...

It was the worm hole that the beings created. The black hole is that gargantua shit. But yeah @Alexandros (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=373) explanation still stands. It's not that it implies that there is a version without the worm hole, its that the worm hole's existence implies that they complete part of the loop by putting it there when it needs to be put. NASA records when it shows up, and the future beings put it in the correct time. This movie didn't explore what would happen if the loop was broken and there is no implication of another timeline.

That article is still misunderstanding this brand of time paradox. It's nothing new. They don't want to risk erasing their whole existence so you wouldn't want to change the past, but they know that their actions influence how they got there. Therefore, they complete all the actions they know they "took" part in. You have to think of it as fulfilling a role which was already completed (and is always being completed) as opposed to being able to change things. But yeah in this story there is just one closed time loop which cannot be altered and is always happening. Everyone's actions in the movie (in the past , future and present) of the movie are just doing various actions which complete the loop. Its like a domino effect of influence which relies on every major player realizing what their role of intervention is. But because the time loop is happening, we already know that everyone does their part. They have to put the worm hole by Saturn because thats where it was. Thats the funny thing about these kinds of time loops. No one can really decide things based on convenience b/c you don't have a choice. They put it by saturn because NASA discovered it by saturn where they put it. lmao That last sentence is literally how your supposed to look at it. Some people find it silly but this is actually my favorite method of dealing with effecting timelines. This webcomic called Homestuck which I adore does this but with like 1000 times more points of influence on the past.

Rabbit
11-17-2014, 07:36 PM
Number 7 is exactly what I was trying to articulate in my above post...thank god someone can write better than me.

Well, yah i mean.. i try to ignore certain things as much as i can. Just the fact that the wormhole leads them outside the galaxy is kind of stupid. Our galaxy alone has tons of planets that could harbor life and furthermore scientists can now tell if some of them would have conditions to sustain life before ever setting foot. They'd know if the entire planet was covered in fucking ice or liquid water.

littlemonkey613
11-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Damn forgot to mention I went to a screening at directors guild yesterday that ended with a Chris Nolan q and a moderated by Edgar Wright.

Dr.Z
11-18-2014, 02:38 AM
I don't understand all you complainers. Saw the movie for the second time yesterday and loved it even more than the first time!

I find it more fascinating than annoying that a paradox is such an integral part of the story. Makes you wanna philosophize about all the possibilities how this could happen

zaps30
11-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Then there's the theory that the whole third act isn't real. That it was a death dream so-to-speak. Cooper really died when he went into the hole. Mann said earlier that we see our children / family before we die. Cooper saw his daughter, a house similar to his farm house, the ball field, etc. He loved being a pilot and took off. Went after Brand because he was interested in her. Wouldn't she have been older assuming she survived? Some time had passed, she traveled to the third planet, and was there for a while. Cooper was stuck in the paradox.

implanted_microchip
11-18-2014, 12:58 PM
I don't understand all you complainers. Saw the movie for the second time yesterday and loved it even more than the first time!

I find it more fascinating than annoying that a paradox is such an integral part of the story. Makes you wanna philosophize about all the possibilities how this could happen

I definitely think it's a real theater experience kind of film. I'd be lying if I said I didn't have a post-high after seeing it, because it really does engulf you in visuals, sound, etc., and I wish I had seen it in IMAX, but I really feel the story and pacing is far from ideal. Regardless, it was definitely one of the most immersive films I saw all year, and I've gone to a ton this year compared to what I usually do. I just don't think I'm going to want to see it at all on blu ray at home outside of that setting (and don't take that the wrong way; I thought Gravity was one of the most fantastic times I've had at a theater, and I've intentionally avoided seeing it any other way since, as it was the only good experience I've had with 3D and I know that no TV screen near me can do it justice).

Rabbit
11-18-2014, 02:36 PM

The script is bad, plain and simple. There's just so much ridiculous shit and stretches of science that it pulls you out of the experience. There were many times i just sighed, or said REALLY COME ON? that it ruined a lot of the immersion for me.

But it's beautifully shot and the score (though loud and pounding) is pretty good. There's really nothing to philosophize here because it's so outside the realm of possibility, it's just a hollywood movie. The movie isn't "deep" or have hidden meanings. It's a popcorn flick through and through.

littlemonkey613
11-18-2014, 06:58 PM
There's really nothing to philosophize here because it's so outside the realm of possibility, it's just a hollywood movie. The movie isn't "deep" or have hidden meanings. It's a popcorn flick through and through.

IdkI think part of their point was to explore things that a lot of people don't know about (how little most people know about more modern physics and cosmology) which are actually in a realm of possibility. Actual physicists debate the philosophical implications of scenarios that sound this crazy all the time. Something like making time a physical dimension, or influencing the past, higher dimensions, multiple universes etc. The point is the realities of our universe lend themselves to this kind of fantasy and in fact if you want to talk about it being in the realm of possibility compared to most epic sci fi / fantasy, its way more so than average. I think Nolan puts himself at risk because he tries to actually have a scientifically accurate foundation more so than any blockbuster filmmaker, so he gets you thinking about whether shit is possible to begin with, which is a mental step up from just passively accepting everything going on like in a Marvel sci fi film or something. Idk I sort of admire the fact that hes willing to get people to actually discuss what is possible concerning a worm hole or black hole in a way that actually acknowledges real scientific theory. But its a double edged sword because the film in turn is setting itself up to be more strictly analyzed in that sense than your average film dealing with science.

My favorite thing about the film is that by the end it doesn't really define frontier by distance covered like how we tend to view it, but acknowledges that the implications of modern physics make the idea of a frontier something different. The shit being discovered is spooky and weird as hell and maybe it is possible that humans could figure enough out about the nature of reality to fuck with it to a degree like in Interstellar or maybe even beyond that.

I just appreciate the sentiment. Like if we are not even jazzed about going into space how can we hope to overcome what we view now as fundamental "rules" in reality. u.u It inspired me to look up a ton of quantum physics shit and I think that was part of their goal so woohoo

But yeah my favorite thing about the movie is actually how much it wants to be accurate. Its no coincidence that he mostly instills the fantasy elements when it comes to going into the black hole, something that we know nothing about inside. He didn't fuck that much with what we already know. Not much in the movie can actually be said with confidence to be absolutely impossible. Of course most of the credit in this area really goes to physicist Kip Thorne. This was like his baby.

Rabbit
11-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Of course most of the credit in this area really goes to physicist Kip Thorne. This was like his baby.
Ah, but here lies the problem i have. It was sold as if this was the case but it isn't. Most of everything besides communicating through gravity bit was all Nolan and his brother. They used very little of Kip Thornes original script yet they sold the movie as if Nolan was going to tackle something Thorne came up with.

In the end it was Nolan coming up with some wonky story and having Kip make sure some of it fit within the realm of possibility. It's a big big stretch. But hey, if it got you interested in things like quantum physics then that's great. I've been a big physicists buff since college, but never majored in it. Like i said, in the end it's a popcorn flick with a bit of a science base underneath.

voidnz
11-18-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't get it, does everyone hate Hans Zimmer because they're Trent fanboys? Or is it because they genuinely don't like his scores. I personally think they're in most cases quite amazing. I had no issue with the music in this movie personally.

The movie wasn't perfect, most of Nolan's movies aren't, he takes on quite ambitious ideas and I feel translates them really well onto the screen. It's a movie after all. I really enjoyed it and was engaged throughout.

onthewall2983
11-18-2014, 09:46 PM
I don't think his work is getting slammed here, but in general Zimmer is not well-regarded in the film score community. Some of their reasons are quite valid, but I think he does extraordinary work when he's with the right people. His work here might be the best he's done since The Thin Red Line, which even some of the haters will confess to being a great score.

littlemonkey613
11-18-2014, 10:17 PM
I don't get it, does everyone hate Hans Zimmer because they're Trent fanboys?

Most of the complaints I've read were about the sound mixing. Like a lot of people couldn't hear shit the whole movie.

R-Dot-Yung
11-19-2014, 12:14 PM
I don't think his work is getting slammed here, but in general Zimmer is not well-regarded in the film score community. Some of their reasons are quite valid, but I think he does extraordinary work when he's with the right people. His work here might be the best he's done since The Thin Red Line, which even some of the haters will confess to being a great score.

Why do people not like Zimmer?

onthewall2983
11-19-2014, 12:29 PM
The main allegation is that his former company Media Ventures essentially just churned out composers who scored in the same style as him. His score for Crimson Tide was so popular with film and TV producers that it created a need for that kind of music in their films or programs. That's the extent of my understanding about it anyway.

JessicaSarahS
11-20-2014, 02:15 AM
Why do people not like Zimmer?

I absolutely love his work on The Lion King and Gladiator-- I've listened to the scores so much! But his latest works all sound the same to me --flat, emotionless, and monotonous.

sentient02970
11-20-2014, 05:42 AM
It inspired me to look up a ton of quantum physics shit and I think that was part of their goal so woohoo

Haha I love this! I also admit to trying to relearn aspects of tensor calculus to better feel out the beautiful mathematical principles behind general relativity after seeing the film.

onthewall2983
11-20-2014, 11:31 AM
http://www.soundworkscollection.com/news/soundworks-collection-interview-series-composer-hans-zimmer-interstellar

30-minute interview with Hans about the score and the sound.

R-Dot-Yung
11-20-2014, 05:26 PM
I absolutely love his work on The Lion King and Gladiator-- I've listened to the scores so much! But his latest works all sound the same to me --flat, emotionless, and monotonous.

I dunno I've got to disagree. There is rarely a Zimmer score that I don't enjoy. The only time I wasn't feeling it was the constant recycling of the Inception theme for a hot second.

But I enjoyed the music here a LOT. It was probably the best part of the movie besides the visuals.

Alexandros
11-21-2014, 03:32 AM
Regarding the soundtrack, I've been listening to it again and again for the past couple of days and I love it. I like the sad parts, I like the creepy parts, I like the epic parts. Listening to it I keep thinking of scenes I want to watch again.

Rabbit
11-21-2014, 03:39 AM
I keep thinking of scenes I want to watch again.

Which scenes? Every other scene people were crying

Alexandros
11-21-2014, 10:07 AM
Rabbit What you don't believe me? :P

Well, like I said I was not untouched by the emotional part of the film, so I include some of the more emotional scenes in what I want to see again. To name a few (emotional and not); when Cooper says goodbye to Murphy and leaves for the launch (and the launch itself), the wormhole, the water planet, Cooper watching the piled up messages, the realisation that there is no plan A, the botched docking of Dr. Mann and subsequent acrobatic docking of Cooper...I'm talking about musical cues that have been very clearly connected to a scene in my mind, something that is probably a sign of a successful soundtrack.

Findus
11-21-2014, 01:14 PM
Regarding the soundtrack, I've been listening to it again and again for the past couple of days and I love it. I like the sad parts, I like the creepy parts, I like the epic parts. Listening to it I keep thinking of scenes I want to watch again.

Apparently, there will be a special edition of the soundtrack, which will be out December 28th.

"The Illuminated Star Projection Edition features special illuminated star projection packaging, 2 CDs featuring 28 tracks, including 30 minutes of music unavailable anywhere else, and the DTS Z+ app."

https://www.facebook.com/DTS.Inc/posts/10152810269753270

http://www.hans-zimmer.com/index.php?rub=disco&id=1256

Sallos
11-29-2014, 09:05 AM

Nolan along with Ridley scott has become one of the most overrated directors out there. Sad thing is Nolan actually used to be great, now he's clearly a sell out.
With that being said, i actually enjoyed the movie, but after the last batman movie and inception i wasn't really all that hyped and my hopes were down.

Throw_it_away9
11-29-2014, 10:59 AM
Just saw it yesterday. Real tear jerker at times. Loved it!

mfte
12-22-2014, 11:47 AM
Pros - Great concept, very interesting ideas, huge emotional moments, very satisfying visual effects

Cons - Poor dialogue at times, some plot holes, wasted characters, feels like certain things were not fleshed out

also... Topher Grace? Don't put that guy in your movie unless you want people to stop and go "oh hey thats topher grace"

onthewall2983
02-12-2015, 10:19 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU5rfokh4vw

cahernandez
02-19-2015, 06:31 AM
Soundtrack on vinyl is coming up March 16: http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/original-soundtrack/interstellar#.VOXXa_mG-yq

Rabbit
03-19-2015, 05:37 AM
watched this again last night. it's really a mediocre film dressed really nicely and accompanied by a fantastic score from zimmer (even though Nolan almost ruins it with the damn mix). I really appreciate his attempt at making the focus on the science and all that but he then ruined it with all the bullcrap fluff love talk.

it's time for the fanboys to jump off the nolan hype train

Dr Channard
03-19-2015, 05:29 PM
watched this again last night. it's really a mediocre film dressed really nicely and accompanied by a fantastic score from zimmer (even though Nolan almost ruins it with the damn mix). I really appreciate his attempt at making the focus on the science and all that but he then ruined it with all the bullcrap fluff love talk.

A few of his movies live up to all the hubbub, but YES to everything you just said about Interstellar.

telee.kom
03-19-2015, 05:47 PM
I just saw that this movie is #22 on iMDB best movie of all time list and Jesus fuck, can this movie be even more overrated? I saw it three times (once in a theatre, twice on dvd/bluray) and each time I find more and more flaws in it.

The love transcends time and space crap was so incredibly cheesy. When Brand was saying that line about love I genuinely felt bad for Anne Hathaway to say something so stupid. And what a fucking crutch for the story this is? Well we don't need to explain anything, it's LOVE! It transcend EVERYTHING! And one would say, that when love and relationship between father and daughter was such important part of the premise, their final reunion would have at least some emotional impact. But nope, hey dad glad to see you, now fuck off so I can die with my real family... And why did Cooper go after Brand in the end? Were they supposed to be in love with each other? When that happened? I thought she was in love with that guy from the third planet? What if he was still alive when Cooper get there? "So um.. whatcha guys doin, eh?".

Anyway, the most overrated movie of my lifetime

Rabbit
03-19-2015, 08:16 PM
I just saw that this movie is #22 on iMDB best movie of all time list and Jesus fuck, can this movie be even more overrated? I saw it three times (once in a theatre, twice on dvd/bluray) and each time I find more and more flaws in it.

His fanboys are RABID dude.

fillow
03-20-2015, 03:18 AM
IMDB ranking is always unbalanced in favor of newer films. The older they get (and the more people rate them), the better the ranking.

Actually, I would never understand why do people need to give some films more and more chances to "get it", if they didn't like them from the start. In my life I had never saw a film which I hated at first but liked later (complicated films seen in childhood don't count).

Wolfkiller
03-20-2015, 04:12 AM
Anyway, the most overrated movie of my lifetime

You've clearly never seen The Big Lebowski yet.
I enjoyed the Interstellar but it was very overrated. I had high hopes for it because I've really enjoyed much of his prior work, but wasn't very impressed with this.

telee.kom
03-20-2015, 05:43 AM
You've clearly never seen The Big Lebowski yet.
I enjoyed the Interstellar but it was very overrated. I had high hopes for it because I've really enjoyed much of his prior work, but wasn't very impressed with this.

Oh, yeah. But I always assumed that Cohen humour isn't for everybody and I'm just tedious fuck

Khrz
03-20-2015, 07:10 AM
I think the Nolan hype has really been out of control since everyone had their mind blown by Inception... The guy makes clever action films (clever as in, not pants-on-head stupid), he's no Kubrick. I liked Interstellar, only because I reminded myself that I wasn't going to see 2001 all over again. The guy uses interesting premises, twists a subject, and makes an action film around it, it doesn't go much farther than this. Treating any of his movies like it reinvents social commentary and existentialism is just idiotic...
And I love Zimmer, but someone hide the HORN button from the guy, please...

Oh, yeah. But I always assumed that Cohen humour isn't for everybody and I'm just tedious fuck

I think their humor is quite simple really : "Everyone's a fucking idiot. Here's their story". They have the most misanthropic filmography I've ever seen. People running around trying to make sense of things, trying to find worth, trying to prove themselves, trying to make it... But they're as doomed as any imbecile can be, and surrounded by other idiots, which makes any prospect and plan an exercise in futility. "Y'all dumb as fuck" is the fundamental message of any Coen movie...

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
03-21-2015, 03:12 AM
I just saw that this movie is #22 on iMDB best movie of all time list and Jesus fuck, can this movie be even more overrated? (...) Anyway, the most overrated movie of my lifetime
This only really supports the already ironclad case for ignoring movie placement on the IMDB 250. Don't even worry about 'overrated', discard the word from your vocabulary; no justice is done by complaining about others' tastes.

I think their humor is quite simple really : "Everyone's a fucking idiot. Here's their story". They have the most misanthropic filmography I've ever seen. People running around trying to make sense of things, trying to find worth, trying to prove themselves, trying to make it... But they're as doomed as any imbecile can be, and surrounded by other idiots, which makes any prospect and plan an exercise in futility. "Y'all dumb as fuck" is the fundamental message of any Coen movie...
Not misanthropic, but deeply humanistic, and never so simple. From your reductive reading it isn't clear which ones you're talking about.

Jon
03-31-2015, 06:53 PM
I know this wasn't a very popular film around here, but wanted to update on the "sound issues".

As with the Bane audio issues in TDKR, this was simply a matter of the theater not having their surround sound properly "balanced". The movie IS loud, but you are able to pick out dialogue in the middle of the rising and swelling of Zimmer's score no problem. The balance and separation on the surround is actually quite impressive, though they probably should have gone with 7.1 instead (I think Blu-ray.com was of this opinion, too).

ltrandazzo
03-31-2015, 07:22 PM
I still don't get the hate and disdain around this movie. I was balling my eyes out during the last 20 minutes. People can dislike movies all they want, and even hate them. I'm not above that. But focus that energy towards something that deserves it, like the latest Ninja Turtles or Transformers movies. This was a movie that made lots of interesting choices, and some of them left me slightly puzzled, but I think it all tied itself together nicely.

ibanez33
04-01-2015, 02:47 AM
I still don't get the hate and disdain around this movie. I was balling my eyes out during the last 20 minutes. People can dislike movies all they want, and even hate them. I'm not above that. But focus that energy towards something that deserves it, like the latest Ninja Turtles or Transformers movies. This was a movie that made lots of interesting choices, and some of them left me slightly puzzled, but I think it all tied itself together nicely.

Dude I was almost crying like 20-30 minutes into it. Still not done, just watching for the first time right now.
*edit* Cooper checking his messages after the water planet. Crying. Even ETS April Fools fart sounds can't stop it.

*edit* last 20-30 minutes were tough but Coops messages after the water planet were what really killed me. I pretty much cried my eyes right out of their sockets watching him see those videos, I honestly can't think of any other film or TV show that had such a profound effect on me as that.

avesjohn
04-01-2015, 04:11 AM
Got my Blu-ray/DVD combo in the mail yesterday. Loved seeing this movie in the theater, can't wait to watch it again.

Just to throw in my two cents on the quality of Interstellar: I agree that it's overrated on IMDB and elsewhere (I love Nolan's movies, too, but come on, people, let's be realistic here), but I also feel it doesn't deserve all the hate it's gotten either. At the very least, it's an ambitious, above-average sci-fi flick, definitely worth seeing at least once.

ibanez33
04-01-2015, 05:50 AM
The one thing that really gets me with pretty much every sci-fi movie is that no matter how advanced all of their equipment is, they still have shitty crackly radios for voice communication, which at this point is just a plot device. Right now we can transfer a pretty-fine audio signal wirelessly from a fucking cellphone to pretty much every other device that's made these days, albeit with a limited range, but still every single fucking sci-fi movie has everyone doing radio contact through an auditory cheese-grater that works just as shitty no matter if you're 30 feet or 30 light-years from the source.

mfte
04-01-2015, 07:35 AM
/\/\/\/\
Good point

also, this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZMzf-SDWP8

Jon
04-01-2015, 09:13 AM
The one thing that really gets me with pretty much every sci-fi movie is that no matter how advanced all of their equipment is, they still have shitty crackly radios for voice communication, which at this point is just a plot device. Right now we can transfer a pretty-fine audio signal wirelessly from a fucking cellphone to pretty much every other device that's made these days, albeit with a limited range, but still every single fucking sci-fi movie has everyone doing radio contact through an auditory cheese-grater that works just as shitty no matter if you're 30 feet or 30 light-years from the source.

I completely get what you are talking about here...

This movie was not realistic, but the amount of Hawking radiation a black hole emits would probably effect radio frequencies.

ibanez33
04-01-2015, 09:40 AM
I completely get what you are talking about here...

This movie was not realistic, but the amount of Hawking radiation a black hole emits would probably effect radio frequencies.
True, but it's not just this movie, it's pretty much every movie set in the modern day or beyond, or even before. Sci-fi tech in every movie is always so insanely incredible and yet voice communication is always still sketchy at best. It's almost a trope at this point and I've yet to see a movie that tries to challenge it.

marodi
04-01-2015, 02:53 PM
/\/\/\/\
Good point

also, this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZMzf-SDWP8

Every time I watch one of these, I say "this one is their best". But this is is definitely their best. "Hey, you stole that one from Event Horizon!" "Anne Goaway" "MURPH!" "Christopher Nolan's Contact".

The farts even make it better.

richardp
04-01-2015, 03:08 PM
Anybody else trying to collect good IMAX film cells from their releases?

I bought three copies today (I know, wtf) hoping to get an IMAX scene, and only got three 35mm to 70mm Scope scenes that are all fairly uninteresting. Boooo.

Substance242
04-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Interstellar reminds me a bit of Prometheus - fine movies, but we were just expecting something... more. :-)

Anne Hathaway is cute and all (see Devil Wears Prada), but here, I don't know, maybe she was so intimidated by Matthew's professionalism she gave up on trying, like she's just on autopilot or something.

EndlessLoveless
04-02-2015, 09:12 AM
Finally saw it last night. Really cool. A wet dream for someone whos into theoretical physics like myself. Of course there are a few holes but it didnt ruin it for me. Great film. Couldnt sleep afterwards, mind was racing. Worst part was the kid from the 70's show. WTF is he doing in this movie, i thought. But whatever, he had like 4 lines. It held my attention the entire 3 hours. Visuals were amazing. Wish i wouldve seen it in the theatre or IMAX. Fucking awesome movie.

Rabbit
04-03-2015, 07:31 AM
Dude I was almost crying like 20-30 minutes into it. Still not done, just watching for the first time right now.
*edit* Cooper checking his messages after the water planet. Crying. Even ETS April Fools fart sounds can't stop it.

*edit* last 20-30 minutes were tough but Coops messages after the water planet were what really killed me. I pretty much cried my eyes right out of their sockets watching him see those videos, I honestly can't think of any other film or TV show that had such a profound effect on me as that.
You cried? really? I sighed and was thoroughly annoyed.

sentient02970
04-03-2015, 08:29 AM
Of course there are a few holes but it didnt ruin it for me.

I only noticed one hole in the movie and it was big and black. :)

But seriously, I really did like the film as well but agree with most that there was so much that was lacking from it. I suspect Nolan was way over his head, budget, time constraints on this one. I can only imagine that he was doomed to try to make a much bigger (and longer film) than what had to go to print (as most big shot directors/producers usually are). The movie, as edited, already runs at 169 minutes (just under 3 hours). Sure there have been film releases in the 5-7 hour range but most typical audiences won't pay to sit in a theater longer than 3 hours. Could he have made this a 2 parter? I doubt it. Unlike Lord Of The Rings or Hunger Games, it doesn't wrap nicely into little parts that have enough entertainment value to make separate films. There was some flawed logic here and there and I do agree, after seeing it the second time, that he uses way too much exposition (why didn't he learn this style of storytelling from Kubrick instead of just the visual?).

I love Interstellar for what it is but also think it had so much more potential. I hope Nolan both sees this and learns from it because I do think he has some real skill but just doesn't know how to pull it off in the end.

Jon
04-03-2015, 09:34 AM
I only noticed one hole in the movie and it was big and black. :)

But seriously, I really did like the film as well but agree with most that there was so much that was lacking from it. I suspect Nolan was way over his head, budget, time constraints on this one. I can only imagine that he was doomed to try to make a much bigger (and longer film) than what had to go to print (as most big shot directors/producers usually are). The movie, as edited, already runs at 169 minutes (just under 3 hours). Sure there have been film releases in the 5-7 hour range but most typical audiences won't pay to sit in a theater longer than 3 hours. Could he have made this a 2 parter? I doubt it. Unlike Lord Of The Rings or Hunger Games, it doesn't wrap nicely into little parts that have enough entertainment value to make separate films. There was some flawed logic here and there and I do agree, after seeing it the second time, that he uses way too much exposition (why didn't he learn this style of storytelling from Kubrick instead of just the visual?).

Something to keep in mind, he "limits" himself storytelling-wise because of the technical limitations of IMAX film. I actually can't believe they got all 169 minutes; I guess that's why the platters weigh 50 pounds.

sentient02970
04-03-2015, 10:01 AM
Ah yes! Good point! He has insisted to keep out of the digital format. Those reels are massive!

Substance242
04-06-2015, 04:31 PM
I saw Interstellar at the movies when it came out, and I watched it at home today and I would rate it higher now, 95%, honestly.

sentient02970
04-10-2015, 08:25 AM
Just now catching up on the Extras on the Best Buy BluRay. I was amazed that I had not realized they built the house and grew the cornfields for the film! I have got to hand it to Nolan that he was able to carry his fame around to the point of pulling such a large enough budget to just make those sort of things happen. The extras behind the scenes gave me a real sense that everyone involved with the project really took some serious efforts in making it right. Even Zimmer utilizing the Temple Church organ and a pro organist to create some great sounds that most would just assign to a synthesizer and call it "sci fi". I feel stronger than ever that this level of work really do shine through in the final project.

Jon
04-16-2015, 11:54 AM
Finally got a 1.44:1 / 70mm IMAX film cell--if only I had an 8K scanner, heh. Of course, it came out of a standard edition copy.

onthewall2983
12-14-2020, 04:12 AM
Watched this in 4K Dolby Vision over the weekend. I think this might be his very best. And I could be dead wrong but I think a lot of those who had doubts or didn't like it, might come around in it because of age. Especially if they have kids of their own now. It's far more prescient to the world today in some aspects than it was six years ago.

The deluxe edition of the soundtrack is now available on vinyl, and as a moderately priced 2-disc CD set.