PDA

View Full Version : Next NIN Album Speculation

Porkins
11-30-2011, 11:44 PM
What does everyone think the next NIN album will have? I'm hoping for some material like the Tetsuo theme or Year Zero. Not in a thematic sense, but musically and stylistically

theruiner
12-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Every time I thought I knew what the new album would sound like I was completely wrong. Which is one of the many reasons NIN is my favorite band...er artist...er whatever. So who knows? It'll probably be something that will catch all of us off guard (while still sounding like NIN somehow).

sick among the pure
12-01-2011, 12:58 AM
More cowbell. That's all I ask.

iamanexit
12-01-2011, 01:12 AM
More cowbell. That's all I ask.

I emphatically second this motion.

Emil Dorbell
12-01-2011, 07:19 AM
I'm kinda hoping for something that's very different from Ghosts, The Slip, TSN and HTDA. Lots of aggression. And hopefully better lyrics than usual.

MAD
12-01-2011, 07:27 AM
^ Emil said it. There's not much else I could ask for. I want another Terrible Lie.

terryzen
12-01-2011, 09:26 AM
well, if you guys want cowbell, there had damn well be a healthy dose of Vibraslap as well. I, I, I think we can all agree on this one. fingers crossed. lets get it done.

iamanexit
12-01-2011, 09:42 AM
Terrible Lie with cowbell & vibraslap!
That doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

sick among the pure
12-01-2011, 11:55 AM
Terrible Lie with cowbell & vibraslap!
That doesn't seem like too much to ask for.

Man, once I have the time to remix again...

jrdsctt
12-01-2011, 12:52 PM
I have a strong feeling the next NIN LP is going to be Ghosts V-VIII.

shagg_187
12-01-2011, 01:24 PM
It'll be a cover album. You've heard it here first, folks!

terryzen
12-01-2011, 01:32 PM
It'll be a cover album. You've heard it here first, folks!

perfect. Captain and Tennille's Song of Joy has been begging for a remake. Trent doing Muskrat Love would be mind blowing, keeping in mind the copious cowbell and vibraslap.

BenAkenobi
12-01-2011, 01:35 PM
i'm not expecting a groundbreaking release ala TDS, more probably it'll follow The slip's design and tone, something as brief and brutal, but more electronic ala YZ

Wretchedest
12-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Nine inch nails, how to destroy angels... its all the same band to me. Its simply the semantics of nomenclature. I have similar feelings about omar rodriguez and the mars volta. Sometimes a band name or a record label becomes so restrictive and confining that simply going by a different name allows you more freedom and changes expectations.

As far as im concerned the last NIN album was The Social Network. The next one is the Girl With the Dragon tatoo. Its some og the best work of his career and it blows crap like the Slip out of the water. This is NIN at full potential.

Collin
12-01-2011, 01:56 PM
I love instrumental ambient NIN of Ghosts and TSN, but i'd love a modern NIN that's more heavy industrial, along the lines of The Bullet Man and shit. Also, as much as I love his instrumentals, I'd be nice to hear Trent take the mic again.

sheepdean
12-01-2011, 01:58 PM
Nine inch nails, how to destroy angels... its all the same band to me. Its simply the semantics of nomenclature. I have similar feelings about omar rodriguez and the mars volta. Sometimes a band name or a record label becomes so restrictive and confining that simply going by a different name allows you more freedom and changes expectations.

As far as im concerned the last NIN album was The Social Network. The next one is the Girl With the Dragon tatoo. Its some og the best work of his career and it blows crap like the Slip out of the water. This is NIN at full potential.
So, Atticus and Mariqueen are in NIN?

NIN64
12-01-2011, 02:00 PM

As far as im concerned the last NIN album was The Social Network. The next one is the Girl With the Dragon tattoo. Its some of the best work of his career and it blows crap like the Slip out of the water. This is NIN at full potential.

Seconded!!!!

terryzen
12-01-2011, 02:29 PM
Seconded!!!!

yeah I sorta feel like whatever Trent does so does NIN. but it seems like NIN has become such a monolith, Trent feels like it's gotta be something beyond the beyond. To me, Trent and NIN are synonymous. I put out music under 'black-clad', but it's just me doing everything, just wanted to give it a name. Wasn't that a phrase in the movie Things to do in Denver while you're dead?

Wretchedest
12-01-2011, 02:36 PM
So, Atticus and Mariqueen are in NIN?

Hasnt Atticus always been in NIN in some form or another? Not always, but for a long time. And Nine inch Mails has always been a revoling door of cast members with trent at the center... so yeah mariqueen is easily a part of that in my eyes. The style of HTDA isnt very different from NIN you know? You could show someone TDS, Ghosts, and The Slip, and theyd be reasonable in suggesting that they might all be totally different bands.. again trent is at the center.

sheepdean
12-01-2011, 02:49 PM
Hasnt Atticus always been in NIN in some form or another? Not always, but for a long time. And Nine inch Mails has always been a revoling door of cast members with trent at the center... so yeah mariqueen is easily a part of that in my eyes. The style of HTDA isnt very different from NIN you know? You could show someone TDS, Ghosts, and The Slip, and theyd be reasonable in suggesting that they might all be totally different bands.. again trent is at the center.Atticus has never been "in" NIN, except for Ghosts, which was a great departure musically anyway. And having a different lead singer really says this isn't NIN at all. Do you consider The Beatles and Travelling Wilburys the same because they shared a member?

Wretchedest
12-01-2011, 03:02 PM
Producing and prpgramming is a huge part of music like this! He may not be credited as in the band, but he was a major contribution to how that music was made.
The Beatles are different, too, because they were a mostly fixed set of musicians. Nine Inch Nails ahas been a revolving door from the start. So adding just one person as a vocalist while maintaing the same style of music, similar instrumentation, and just changing the name doesnt really mean "new band" to me. Adding a new singer doesnt seem much different from getting a new drummer. How many drummers has NIN had?

reznovka
12-01-2011, 03:04 PM
I wait for Ghosts Cowbell Edition. 36 cowbelled songs with Mariqueens voice.
But I hope for a second PHM.

dominik
12-01-2011, 03:09 PM
Honestly, I bet Trent is so over NIN and that it'll take some time until there will be a new album. That's why he's always so keen to call his albums "old friends".

sheepdean
12-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Producing and prpgramming is a huge part of music like this! He may not be credited as in the band, but he was a major contribution to how that music was made.
The Beatles are different, too, because they were a mostly fixed set of musicians. Nine Inch Nails ahas been a revolving door from the start. So adding just one person as a vocalist while maintaing the same style of music, similar instrumentation, and just changing the name doesnt really mean "new band" to me. Adding a new singer doesnt seem much different from getting a new drummer. How many drummers has NIN had?
A new songwriter, in the form of Mariqueen, a permanent music writer in Atticus and an overall different direction really says this isn't the same.And you really can't compare a drummer to a vocalist/lyricist, it's a very different job in this genre

Wretchedest
12-01-2011, 03:23 PM
Sure. To each his own, thats just my thoughts on the state of nin related things.

Twiggy
12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
I noticed some TSN tracks in the movie Drive. Took me by surprise.

I'd really love to see another Double-Album... The Fragile gets better every listen.

Twiggy

NIN64
12-01-2011, 06:39 PM
I noticed some TSN tracks in the movie Drive. Took me by surprise.

I'd really love to see another Double-Album... The Fragile gets better every listen.

Twiggy

There were no Social Network tracks in Drive. That copy you found online was a work print version of the movie.

NIN64
12-01-2011, 06:56 PM
From Twitter:

@trent_reznor: Button pushing will commence in 4 hrs, 6 min.

That makes it midnight eastern for me. . .

kevincwhitacre
12-02-2011, 01:25 AM
I don't know that the next NIN album would be Ghosts V-VIII simply because Trent's been working on so much instrumental stuff lately. I concur with those of you that say you'd love for him to pick up the microphone again. I'd like to hear something new, yet recognizably NIN. I think that's what makes NIN great. TR doesn't just rehash old albums, but changes sounds from album to album. If I had to choose one that I'd like to hear more of, I'd say Broken.

Rossva
12-02-2011, 07:44 AM
I'm still desperately hoping for YZ part 2 but I need to accept the fact that it's never gonna happen :(
for sure I'm grateful as fuck for all the excellent soundtrack output lately... But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want "the old" NIN back

cashpiles (closed)
12-03-2011, 12:31 AM
For some reason, With Teeth is now my favorite NIN album, so I'm hoping Trent creates something along those lines sonically and production-wise: something clean, full, warm, colorful, diverse, melodic, and as always, innovative.

Hasnt Atticus always been in NIN in some form or another?

I think With Teeth is where Atticus came into the picture, and I remember at the time I thought, "what kind of plastic sounding production is this?" But now it stands out as a work of quality.

sheepdean
12-03-2011, 06:22 AM
I think With Teeth is where Atticus came into the picture, and I remember at the time I thought, "what kind of plastic sounding production is this?" But now it stands out as a work of quality.
He first came in on With Teeth, but they first worked together in 12 Rounds and (ssh)Tapeworm, so it's not clear how long he's been playing with Trent's style: whether or not he was on Bleedthrough for example

Ryan
12-03-2011, 06:29 AM
Don't forget Trent was quoted as saying he thought The Collector was the best track on With Teeth in one interview that one time. Atticus was probably looking at him all

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vN9xORClBPE/TW1cwoMJ-lI/AAAAAAAAGuQ/bPiTJTlhIaM/s1600/ARE-YOU-FUCKING-SERIOUS.jpg

sick among the pure
12-03-2011, 07:28 AM
I'm still desperately hoping for YZ part 2 but I need to accept the fact that it's never gonna happen :(
for sure I'm grateful as fuck for all the excellent soundtrack output lately... But I'd be lying if I said I didn't want "the old" NIN back

Trent's bio on TGWTDT mentions the still being worked on ZY HBO show, so don't accept that fact just yet. I feel like if we see a YZ2, it'll be around the show.

BenAkenobi
12-03-2011, 08:13 AM
The Collector was the best track on With Teeth

Can i get a hellyeah?

NemesisNZ
12-03-2011, 12:42 PM
I'm not sure what I would like the next NIN album to be, I have been continually surprised/delighted at the evolution from With Teeth onwards.
But I would prefer not to have another Ghosts just yet, We have TSN and TGWTDT.
I want the "old friends" albums to get together and have a baby that is something new but also familiar NIN.

Oh and definitely more cowbell!

IAmTheExit
12-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Next year we can probably expect him to start working on something NIN focused, as he's mentioned it for the last year.

Twiggy
12-04-2011, 04:29 PM
Thanks for pointing it out.

I thought it was strange that the tracks were on the movie...

There were no Social Network tracks in Drive. That copy you found online was a work print version of the movie.

cheddamash
12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I also think the next iteration of Ghosts is next. It'd be an easy transition back from scoring I think. Then again at this point Trent may have a lot of lyrics wanting to get out. It has been a while.

I also keep trying to convince myself that a YZ sequel will coincide with miniseries. It'd be a badass marketing move if he released YZ2 "with an exclusive first look at Year Zero the mini series" or something like that. Meh, something to hope for I guess.

JessicaSarahS
12-04-2011, 04:39 PM
I also think the next iteration of Ghosts is next.

I hope not. I really want something with lyrics. But at this point, I would take anything that is new NIN.

Piko
12-04-2011, 05:21 PM
If there's Ghosts, there will probably be another album not too far behind. Trent did say "a lot of new music". So i'm calling it.

Dragon Tattoo
Ghosts
NIN LP
HTDA LP

Wretchedest
12-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Dragon Tattoo, by itself is a lot of new music.

Also, the Collector, FTR has that wierd time signature, which makes it pretty damn techinical... maybe that's why trent likes it?

Somewhat Damaged
12-04-2011, 05:31 PM
I really want Year Zero 2 above anything else. But really, any new NIN will get me excited.

gorast
12-04-2011, 07:04 PM
If there's Ghosts, there will probably be another album not too far behind. Trent did say "a lot of new music". So i'm calling it.

Dragon Tattoo
Ghosts
NIN LP
HTDA LP

HTDA LP is damn near done, though, so if you're right (which IMO I don't think you are) we're looking at a fuckton of new music in the next like, three months.

Which probably won't happen.

The next thing we're getting after Dragon Tattoo is almost definitely the HTDA LP. Then maybe some NIN at the end of 2012, or like, 2013.

Piko
12-04-2011, 07:12 PM
I think 2012 is going to be a big year for nin fans. That's for sure.

Big Fat Matt
12-04-2011, 07:13 PM
I think "soon" is going to be a big year for nin fans. That's for sure.
fixed it for you.

Highly Psychological
12-04-2011, 07:31 PM
I dont even know if there will ever be another Nine Inch Nails record ever again. Isnt it only a vague possibility?
I reckon it will be an electronic album, i think the electronic influence will be far greater on it. It will still be dark, but primarily electronica sounding. I think that where Trent is at right now. Its where most good music is now.
He has spoken on a few occasions of his mixed feelings on With Teeth so i highly doubt he will ever have a 'band' sounding album ever again.
I disliked The Slip. by far the worst NIN record, sounded too rushed lack of ideas. He was trying to capitalize on Radiohead's In Rainbows and Ghosts internet release scheme. However I liked a lot of Year Zero. Be interesting to see what he comes out with next via How To Destory Angels, NIN or any other act.

For some reason i just cant picture him being on stage singing songs like Head Like A Hole or March of the Pigs ever again.

cheddamash
12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
... He was trying to capitalize on Radiohead's In Rainbows and Ghosts internet release scheme.

Capitalize how? He gave the album away...

sheepdean
12-04-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm torn slightly in what I want from a new NIN - I love his softer, acoustic songs, and I think Zoo Station was brilliant for that. But Tetsuo blew me away in being a fucking awesome, intense and ACTUALLY INDUSTRIAL track, I want to hear more of that. Acoustic Industrial?

Harry Seaward
12-04-2011, 08:26 PM
I'd imagine it'll be like every NIN album. Songs that are soft, songs that are heavy, songs with lots of electronic influence, songs with lots of rock influence, songs with lyrics, songs with none... Pretty much every NIN album has a bit of a variance between tracks. Something to satisfy everyone. I don't too much care, because nothing he's released as disappointed me yet.

dcl
12-04-2011, 08:31 PM
I want whatever Year Zero Part 2 is going to be

jrdsctt
12-04-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm torn slightly in what I want from a new NIN - I love his softer, acoustic songs, and I think Zoo Station was brilliant for that. But Tetsuo blew me away in being a fucking awesome, intense and ACTUALLY INDUSTRIAL track, I want to hear more of that. Acoustic Industrial?

I think you may have just invented the best fake genre ever.

MrSlfDstruct
12-04-2011, 09:19 PM
I'm really hoping we'll see more work like The Fragile and TDS. I've listened to both of those countless times, but there's so much going on in both that I almost always find something I didn't hear before. As a die hard NIN fan I hate to admit it, but I was underwhelmed with the comparative simplicity (I hate to use that word because I sure as fuck couldn't do it) of Awitha Teetha :D and The Slip.

I'd also love the shit out of some more Broken-like material. Goddammit that's a good album. Still sucks that Last was never performed live before Trent's voice started changing and it was dropped to a lower key.

jrdsctt
12-04-2011, 09:24 PM
I'm really hoping we'll see more work like The Fragile and TDS. I've listened to both of those countless times, but there's so much going on in both that I almost always find something I didn't hear before. As a die hard NIN fan I hate to admit it, but I was underwhelmed with the comparative simplicity (I hate to use that word because I sure as fuck couldn't do it) of Awitha Teetha :D and The Slip.

I'd also love the shit out some more Broken-like material. Still sucks that Last was never performed live before Trent's voice started changing and it was dropped to a lower key.

I feel like it's going to be hard to make another album that sounds and feels like The Fragile or TDS. Trent isn't in that place anymore. He's older, sober, married, happier, has a kid, has a lot going for him. He's said before that he doesn't want to sing those songs anymore because they bring him back to a very bad place that he doesn't want to be anymore, and I doubt he would go back to that place to write new material. As much as I love the sound of those two albums and would love to hear more of it, I just can't get my hopes up for more of it, nor do I want Trent to go off the deep end again just to make more music I like more.

ManBurning
12-04-2011, 09:28 PM
At this point, I just hope there will be another NIN record in the future at all.

Diet Poison
12-04-2011, 09:52 PM
I think we're gonna see Ghosts V-... but only if he doesn't do another movie score right away, which I'm sure will be completely up to him because after TSN and GDT, producers/directors/whatever are probably lined up around the block offering piles of cash and sexual favours for Reznor and Ross to score their movies. But fuck it, TSN score was better than Ghosts, and the GDT one is poised to knock it out of the park as well, so see if I care whether it's called Ghosts V-VIII or "The 'Social Network 2 - The Legend of Curly's Gold' Score".

heroicraptor
12-04-2011, 09:56 PM
I'm hoping for some face-melting ragtime.

M1ke
12-04-2011, 10:14 PM
I feel like it's going to be hard to make another album that sounds and feels like The Fragile or TDS. Trent isn't in that place anymore. He's older, sober, married, happier, has a kid, has a lot going for him. He's said before that he doesn't want to sing those songs anymore because they bring him back to a very bad place that he doesn't want to be anymore, and I doubt he would go back to that place to write new material. As much as I love the sound of those two albums and would love to hear more of it, I just can't get my hopes up for more of it, nor do I want Trent to go off the deep end again just to make more music I like more.

It would have to evolve into the next stage, whatever that is. The Slip and With Teeth both sounded much more in control than anything NIN ever put out before.

I guess, since there is success in staying in control, the only bet would be on something less dramatic, but would it really be NIN without the extremes?

I guess not really...I dunno, but then again, there are many, many reasons why I don't write music.

frothy_ham
12-04-2011, 10:22 PM
One of the things I've always respected about Mr. Reznor the most was that he only ever did something if he thought it was relevant. He was honest about himself and where he was in his life.

The themes of his previous music came from someone growing up, learning about himself, fighting through drug addiction, trying to become a man. IMO, With Teeth was the last album about himself...and it felt cathartic, squeezing out the last of that fear and self-hatred. I've always heard that an addict is not able to mature emotionally post the point of the start of their addiction. Being able to get past that part of his life and finally become a complete person, I truly believe it would be dishonest if there was another melodramatic, uber-aggressive NIN album. He's grown up.

From what it seems, Trent might actually be happy now. Married, with baby, and just able to relaxingly do what he loves. I can't imagine the same intense anger and aggression coming out of an almost 50 year old man.

If you had asked me 5-6 years go...hell, even 2-3 years ago, if I would be happy if Trent never put out another good ol' fashioned NIN, I would have screamed "HELL NO" at the top of my longs. Maybe because I am also maturing and becoming a happy adult with my own family, I don't really desire that. I want honesty...and I think that is what we are getting from the Social Network and Girl with Dragon Tattoo soundtracks.

imail724
12-04-2011, 10:31 PM
I personally would like to see Trent do a remix for another artist. When was the last time that happened? U2? I love listening to Trent apply his homemade turd polish to other people's music.

Highly Psychological
12-04-2011, 10:39 PM
Capitalize how? He gave the album away...

What was the point in making an album in 3 weeks? The Downward Spiral and The Fragile and With Teeth both took a couple of years to complete.

It seemed like it was rushed to come out at that specific point when artists suddenly started using different ways of releasing their music. The release of The Slip generated media attention. Maybe capitalize is the wrong word. But I dont understand why it was done in 3 weeks. The good stuff on it sounds like a good idea half formed. The rest seems like filler. Discipline being the highlight.
It seemed like he was retreading old ground again and it all sounded a bit weary. Its good he took the break i think.

However i really liked the How to Destory Angels EP i thought The Space in Between was one of his best tracks he has ever done. He maybe felt a bit restrained with the NIN tag. In 2011 he does not seem like the same person anymore. I would love to see NIN again live, but as long as he is releasing good music i dont mind if he calls it NIN or not.

waffel
12-04-2011, 10:58 PM
What was the point in making an album in 3 weeks? The Downward Spiral and The Fragile and With Teeth both took a couple of years to complete.

It seemed like it was rushed to come out at that specific point when artists suddenly started using different ways of releasing their music. The release of The Slip generated media attention. Maybe capitalize is the wrong word. But I dont understand why it was done in 3 weeks. The good stuff on it sounds like a good idea half formed. The rest seems like filler. Discipline being the highlight.
It seemed like he was retreading old ground again and it all sounded a bit weary. Its good he took the break i think.

However i really liked the How to Destory Angels EP i thought The Space in Between was one of his best tracks he has ever done. He maybe felt a bit restrained with the NIN tag. In 2011 he does not seem like the same person anymore. I would love to see NIN again live, but as long as he is releasing good music i dont mind if he calls it NIN or not.

Discipline was created as a new single the band could tour on. The rest came about because he wanted to experiment with a new way of writing/releasing music that felt "exciting"(if I remember right from one of the interviews). He also mention not putting out an album out in that fashion again, that the next release (if there ever is one) would be one that he would take time on. Though I'm agreeing with some others here, that the guy is happy now and I'm content with him not releasing NIN if he's not into it. Even in one of his old interviews from the 90's he said NIN had a finite time timeline. He inadvertently adds his own emotion whatever he's working on, so I consider soundtrack work and HDTA a kind of evolution of NIN.

jrdsctt
12-04-2011, 11:02 PM
One of the things I've always respected about Mr. Reznor the most was that he only ever did something if he thought it was relevant. He was honest about himself and where he was in his life.

The themes of his previous music came from someone growing up, learning about himself, fighting through drug addiction, trying to become a man. IMO, With Teeth was the last album about himself...and it felt cathartic, squeezing out the last of that fear and self-hatred. I've always heard that an addict is not able to mature emotionally post the point of the start of their addiction. Being able to get past that part of his life and finally become a complete person, I truly believe it would be dishonest if there was another melodramatic, uber-aggressive NIN album. He's grown up.

From what it seems, Trent might actually be happy now. Married, with baby, and just able to relaxingly do what he loves. I can't imagine the same intense anger and aggression coming out of an almost 50 year old man.

If you had asked me 5-6 years go...hell, even 2-3 years ago, if I would be happy if Trent never put out another good ol' fashioned NIN, I would have screamed "HELL NO" at the top of my longs. Maybe because I am also maturing and becoming a happy adult with my own family, I don't really desire that. I want honesty...and I think that is what we are getting from the Social Network and Girl with Dragon Tattoo soundtracks.

Amazing first post, I agree with every word of it. Awesome.

MrSlfDstruct
12-05-2011, 12:14 AM
I personally would like to see Trent do a remix for another artist. When was the last time that happened? U2? I love listening to Trent apply his homemade turd polish to other people's music.

I was actually just thinking earlier while I was listening to Immigrant Song that a straight up cover album could actually be pretty awesome.

BenAkenobi
12-05-2011, 02:21 AM
I'd love if Reznor/Ross produced next Interpol album

Amaro
12-05-2011, 09:07 AM
^ lol Random.

Anything, as long as it's not Year Zero pt. 2 or more Ghosts.

jrdsctt
12-05-2011, 09:23 AM
^ lol Random.

Anything, as long as it's not Year Zero pt. 2 or more Ghosts.

I think you're the first person I've heard who doesn't want more Year Zero. Not a fan?

jrdsctt
12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
I know a lot of people were not big fans of The Slip, but if NIN's next album all sounded as catchy as this I would have no problem. I fucking love this song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Lqsx2Jn4hE

sick among the pure
12-05-2011, 09:43 AM
I know a lot of people were not big fans of The Slip, but if NIN's next album all sounded as catchy as this I would have no problem. I fucking love this song:

See, The Slip live is good. But Discipline is definitely not at the top of my list from that album. Letting You and Head Down, I could listen to at every single show. Discipline, like Only, I kinda got over rather quickly. As much fun as it is to bounce around to gay disco music in a pit full of scrawny vampire dudes. ;)

Amaro
12-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I think you're the first person I've heard who doesn't want more Year Zero. Not a fan?

No, not really.

I think one too many people dismiss the good possibility that he will do another introspective album.

Piko
12-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I think one is good enough. I liked YZ, but I can't really see him doing another one.

frothy_ham
12-05-2011, 11:30 AM
No, not really.

I think one too many people dismiss the good possibility that he will do another introspective album.

I think there is a slight possibility of him doing an introspective album, but IMHO, it's a small one. As I said in my previous post on this topic, I just don't think Trent is in that frame of mind anymore.

When he was in the throes of drug/alcohol addiction, fear and uncertainty...he lived within his own mind. It's not hard to imagine the external world feeling like an illusion to an addict in the throes of depression, it just doesn't seem as important to the internal battle waging on inside of you. Being able to break out of that, be free of all that narcissitic negativity, it might be as if he actually saw the world outside of his own head for the first time as an adult. Year Zero was a way for him to show that there are bigger issues than your own inner demons. Even The Slip wasn't an overly emotional album...the little amount of that was there seemed to be echoes of catharsis from his former life, the rest followed along with Year Zero, with Trent almost playing characters or rallying against something else.

What is their left to be introspective with for an almost 50 year old newly married father who now scores motion pictures? What does someone like that worry about? Himself? Probably not...but what would he worry about?

After spending so many years sonically journaling the struggles with his inner demons, I'm sure if he was forced to make an introspective album based on his own problems it would be about his family.

[*=1]"What kind of world is my son going to grow up in?"
[*=1]"What can I do to make that world a better and safer place for him?"
[*=1]"What can I do to keep my child safe from what happened to me with drugs and alcohol?"
Making an angsty, railing against the world for the sake of itself album would simply be dishonest IMO. I think NIN as we once knew it (PHM, TDS, The Fragile, and even With Teeth to a degree) is dead...and that's not such a bad thing. I'm happy for Mr. Reznor, and I'm proud of him for being able to break the self-destructive cycle he was in and finally grow up and look outside of himself to see how big the world is.

Then again, this is all my own opinion, not grounded in any facts at all whatsoever... :o

Amaro
12-05-2011, 01:12 PM
I'm not implying that another introspective would be lyrically angry like the lot from the past tended to be. There are a lot of things I could imagine him centering a new personable record around, from his "new life." I hope he does an actual "pretty" album next, like Still except without the frequent despair.

Vertigo
12-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Wouldn't surprise me if he's tempted to write music based on the difficulty of working outside a big label. With the arguable exception of Purest Feeling/Pretty Hate Machine, all the major NIN albums have had a concept underpinning them, and judging by his recent Twitter activity, struggles of independence seems to be a popular theme at the moment...

Despite his consideration of a second Year Zero some years ago, I don't see him revisiting it musically unless as a score for the TV show (and even then, I'd expect it to be in a new style to the original album). Trent never just sticks with a formula, he's always looking for new sounds, new things to say, new producers and musicians to work with. With that in mind, I'd expect a new NIN album to be something wholly original, just like every previous example. I'm crossing my fingers for an expansion of the style he's devised for the Tetsuo theme and Immigrant Song cover.

reznovka
12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
I hope there´ll be another catchy album like PHM...maybe in a mix from YZ, TS and PHM...80s-Dark-Future-Anarcho-Pop or something like that you know...something you just wanna fall in and never get out of it again...

frothy_ham
12-05-2011, 04:54 PM
I'm not implying that another introspective would be lyrically angry like the lot from the past tended to be. There are a lot of things I could imagine him centering a new personable record around, from his "new life." I hope he does an actual "pretty" album next, like Still except without the frequent despair.

Sorry, I didn't mean for my post to come off as aggresively as it did @ you. It was directed more at the generalization of a lot of NIN fans wanting another classic NIN album ala PHM, TDS, or The Fragile and me truly believing that will never happen (for the better). It looks like that's not what you were really trying to say, so once again I apologize.

In reply to what you just said, I agree. I would really enjoy a slower paced album NIN album...something simple and stripped away with a piano and his voice.

carpenoctem
12-05-2011, 06:11 PM
I'm not sure how Trent could continue under the Nine Inch Nails name, because despair is pretty much the cornerstone of that music - things falling apart, things broken, anger, rage, hopelessness, etc. He's a different man now than he was then; I wonder if new, "happy" Nails would ring false to us, the fans who've spent so many years hearing the blister of Broken or TDS. Maybe it's better he continues as a unit, with How To Destroy Angels, rather than feel constricted by slipping back into NIN like a costume.

That being said, I'd love new Nails and I have no problem against it, just idle speculation. He might end up feeling nostalgic after all this broadening of his horizons and end up making a final NIN album that knocks it out of the park, I wouldn't be surprised.

What would I want? I'm tempted to say "I want another Still" but I actually don't, as much as I love that album. I would want it to be a new direction - something I wasn't expecting and couldn't have predicted from what came before. That's why I love Year Zero still. It was very different from With Teeth and everything else.

Harry Seaward
12-05-2011, 07:04 PM
I don't understand the people who think NIN needs to be filled with self-hatred and despair. I mean, just look at Year Zero. That album wasn't very introspective at all and it was one of NIN's best, in my opinion. There are plenty of other directions besides inwards that Trent can aim his emotions toward.

kevincwhitacre
12-05-2011, 07:10 PM
Am I the only person who liked The Slip? I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with producing an album in three weeks. I find that the end product was solid. It, to me, was a culmination of the entirety of NIN up until its release. I agree with sick among the pure in that Head Down is probably the most solid song from the album. Discipline was good, but didn't have as much replay value. Anyway, TR said in his interview earlier today that he is focusing his writing during 2012 towards a NIN project. Perhaps we will see the next NIN album, whatever that may be, in '13 or '14.

Harry Seaward
12-05-2011, 07:12 PM
Am I the only person who liked The Slip? I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with producing an album in three weeks. I find that the end product was solid. It, to me, was a culmination of the entirety of NIN up until its release. I agree with sick among the pure in that Head Down is probably the most solid song from the album. Discipline was good, but didn't have as much replay value. Anyway, TR said in his interview earlier today that he is focusing his writing during 2012 towards a NIN project. Perhaps we will see the next NIN album, whatever that may be, in '13 or '14.

I loved The Slip. It's probably at the bottom of my list concerning NIN albums, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. If I put out an album like that in three weeks, I'd feel so accomplished I'd never leave my house again.

burn.
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
Trent Reznor says new How To Destroy Angels and Nine Inch Nails coming in 2012 (http://rockitoutblog.com/2011/12/05/trent-reznor-says-new-how-to-destroy-angels-and-nine-inch-nails-coming-in-2012/)

"Of course, everyone is wondering as to whether Reznor will ever bring back Nine Inch Nails. Reznor did say that he plans on spending a good amount of 2012 writing new material with NIN in mind. So there’s that glimmer of hope for you."

Space Suicide
12-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Nothing like The Slip. Please.

ManBurning
12-06-2011, 12:23 AM
Am I the only person who liked The Slip?

Nope, not at all! I love the slip! In fact, I was beginning to think I was the ONLY PERSON who liked the slip. So thanks for the reassurance that i'm not the only one. Demon seed is probably on par with TDS material, and Lights in the sky is to beautiful of a song to hate.

danebraddy
12-06-2011, 05:39 AM
I'm not sure how Trent could continue under the Nine Inch Nails name, because despair is pretty much the cornerstone of that music - things falling apart, things broken, anger, rage, hopelessness, etc. He's a different man now than he was then; I wonder if new, "happy" Nails would ring false to us, the fans who've spent so many years hearing the blister of Broken or TDS.

In some way I agree, but I'd hate to limit what Nine Inch Nails is (or could be).
As someone who used to be all doom and gloom, but now 'happy' with a one year old daughter and loving partner I can attest to the fact that being generally 'happy' or 'content' with life doesn't mean one couldn't tap into aggressive or 'dark' emotions.

There are plenty of artists out there that have stable 'happy' lives that still manage to amaze with depth when exploring 'darker' subjects. Nick Cave, Gary Numan and MJK just to name a few.

The Slip was also written when Trent wasn't wallowing in self pity and it's fucking awesome.

I wouldn't worry about 'happy" nails either. Trent has spent most of his life cultivating and protecting NIN - if his creative endeavors take him to a place that doesn't feel like Nine Inch Nails, it won't be called Nine Inch Nails.

reznovka
12-06-2011, 09:29 AM

TS was great - very poppy, but that´s fine, because it´s like the phm, just happier...you know what I mean?...it´s just music...

frothy_ham
12-06-2011, 09:41 AM
TS was great - very poppy, but that´s fine, because it´s like the phm, just happier...you know what I mean?...it´s just music...

Good point.

Seems like a lot of us connected to NIN because of the emotional themes that spoke to us, but we all have to admit that the reason we came back is because Trent is damn good at writing a pop hook.

PhoenixML
12-06-2011, 12:13 PM
Back when The Slip came out, I wouldn't have mind Ghosts 5-8... but with 2 soundtracks, I really don't want another Ghosts. I think he did enough experiment, it wouldn't be sane..

I wouldn't mind another Year Zero, aka something more focused than The Slip (which was good, but too short).

Hell, as long as he sings: I WANT!!

Elke
12-06-2011, 12:14 PM
I'm still waiting for more like Still EP - I'm going to be waiting till I'm old and buried, I'm afraid, but whatever. I'm patient.
However, any of the following would also make me happy:
- the Tetsuo track, enhanced to a complete listening experience of approximately 60 minutes (no more, because that would probably get me arrested if I played it on my living room stereo - I have thin walls)
- a disco album! It'd be like The Slip, but with only Discipline on it, which would be awesome. I would buy that.
- something with actual lyrics
- something with actual instruments (yeah I know, synths and whatever are all instruments, I don't care: actual instruments)
- a real collaboration with something/someone Queens of the Stone Age-related (preferable, to be honest, a Desert Sessions-style desert session, but for obvious reasons without the drunkenness)
- a cover album
- an R.E.M. tribute album
- Ben & Jerry's Trent's Toffee Treat

Meh. I really don't care. I've liked everything that's been released since I discovered NIN in 2005, so I'm pretty sure it'll all be good, whatever it is. And I especially like that he seems to be having a lot of 'fun' (or a 'fun'-related state of being) making the music, so.

I don't get the idea that the Treznor wouldn't be able to write depressing gloomy doomy music while being absolutely happy. It's an insult to the guy, really. I can see how knowing bits and pieces of his personality and his life as he experienced it through interviews, kind of gives you the idea that he was not a happy camper while he was making everything pre-WT, which is not happy music, but I don't think he was planning an actual rebellion and/or world domination while writing Year Zero, and I hope for Mrs. Treznor en Trent Jr. that he's not in a Tetsuo-like headspace right now. (I guess TSN would have been easier, because in a way he still is a big ol' computer nerd, so...)
I mean, isn't that the point of being an artist: that you create things? This implication that he would only be able to translate actual feelings he has at that time into music, that he wouldn't be able to conjure something up, to create... I'm not digging it.

That said, I'm not going to be excited before the mandatory 'soon...' pops up again. The ets madness that follows is fun for a while, it usually means a lot of awesome ideas get tossed around, and then we end up with dozens of pictures of dogs on the couch to analyse / photoshop. Good times!

jrdsctt
12-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Another Still-like album would be wonderful. It doesn't even have to quiet versions of songs, I am just sick of remixes. Actual re-workings of albums are highly interesting to me though.

REPLICA
12-06-2011, 01:29 PM
I am STILL waiting for Trent's epic - Strobe Light!

Really! Pussygrinder, Black T-shirt, Coffin on the Dancefloor! Who doesn't want tracks like those!?

Wretchedest
12-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Dragon tatoo sounds ALOT like still at times. Maybe people would notice if he slapped "halo 28" on it?

Halo Infinity
12-06-2011, 02:32 PM
My guess is that the follow-up to The Slip might come out in 2013, or 2014 if it takes a bit longer. We know what NIN's conception of the word "soon" is like anyway. I sometimes want the old NIN back too, and he's still got it. I loved the theme for Tetsuo: The Bullet Man. Come to think of it, didn't Trent also mention that Year Zero was still alive? I'm not too sure about that right now. :confused:

gorast
12-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Come to think of it, didn't Trent also mention that Year Zero was still alive? I'm not too sure about that right now. :confused:
Trent's still working on getting the YZ TV show up and running. TV takes forever, so it'll probably be a while until we see results from that.

chrislounsbury
12-06-2011, 10:14 PM
The Upward Spiral.

Another concept album, same texture layering, back to the "industrial" style roots, but with updated lyrics based on where he and the rest of the world are at now.

Thats what I want. But in reality, ANYTHING from TR is good. I haven't disliked anything he's produced (NIN, HTDA, Soundtracks, etc).

jrdsctt
12-07-2011, 11:22 AM
The Upward Spiral.

Another concept album, same texture layering, back to the "industrial" style roots, but with updated lyrics based on where he and the rest of the world are at now.

Thats what I want. But in reality, ANYTHING from TR is good. I haven't disliked anything he's produced (NIN, HTDA, Soundtracks, etc).

I am totally fine with that concept, but please don't let it be named The Upward Spiral...

chrislounsbury
12-07-2011, 11:38 AM
I am totally fine with that concept, but please don't let it be named The Upward Spiral...

Haha. Title was just based on the concept. I'd laugh pretty hard though if it was called "The Upward Spiral".

new now
12-09-2011, 10:08 AM
I'd have to agree with being ready to see another volume or two of ghosts, more as an interim to a full-scale, not-fully-instrumental NIN release.
I would love to see something sonically similar to WT as someone else has said but I think for the most part the requests for a terrible lie-esque full on vitriol spitting agressionfest are going to go unfulfilled.
Trent seems to still have the fire for the older stuff live but a lot of the newer music has been so much more subdued and brooding. At the same time I hope the YZ tv show goes ahead, I thought YZ was impressively innovative and would love to hear something similar to that.

sheepdean
12-09-2011, 10:17 AM
I'd love to see Ghosts handled like Disney's Fantasia was to be handled: Ghosts becomes a title for the project, and every year new ones are added to the master list (say, 36 tracks), replacing some old ones.

joplinpicasso
12-09-2011, 10:22 AM
I believe a good amount of vitriol could be there lyrically, just not vocally (I'd love to be proven wrong). His vocals, luckily, have evolved with his subject matter - brooding and pensive.

Sooo, how about the vocals of the Zoo Station cover mixed with the music of Tetsuo and TGWTDT ?? ;P

icklekitty
12-09-2011, 11:59 AM
Even a covers album would be interesting. Just something with more thought, direction, and care than.....that thing, which seems to be the plan anyway from recent interviews.

jessamineny
12-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Even a covers album would be interesting. Just something with more thought, direction, and care than.....that thing, which seems to be the plan anyway from recent interviews.

You'd think it would be fun to record and release, especially if it were digital-only. And he's probably got tons of ideas to pull from after polling us a few years back.

VVVV I'd prefer some fresh material myself.

sheepdean
12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
You'd think it would be fun to record and release, especially if it were digital-only. And he's probably got tons of ideas to pull from after polling us a few years back.Even if he only recorded every song he's covered live, but not on record, he'd have enough for an album. And that's not even counting the Peter Murphy radio sessions.

Maelstrom
12-13-2011, 01:35 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'non-entity' or some of the rarely performed and never recorded songs NIN has done in concert

sheepdean
12-13-2011, 01:45 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned 'non-entity' or some of the rarely performed and never recorded songs NIN has done in concert
Non-Entity is on a release, Seed 6

Miss.Selfdestruct
12-13-2011, 02:58 AM
My guess is that the follow-up to The Slip might come out in 2013, or 2014 if it takes a bit longer. We know what NIN's conception of the word "soon" is like anyway. I sometimes want the old NIN back too, and he's still got it. I loved the theme for Tetsuo: The Bullet Man. Come to think of it, didn't Trent also mention that Year Zero was still alive? I'm not too sure about that right now. :confused:
my bf and i tend to always revert to wondering about what else he can do in the lines of that Tetsuo track. as much as i love and still appreciate the old nin. that's not him anymore. unlike many artists i used to follow, he's actually evolved nicely as a musician. i think that working on those 2 films by fincher have helped him loads in exploring what we heard in Ghosts.

personally, i'd be ecstatic to hear he 'returns' as a solo artist with an album that sounds like Tetsuo/Ghosts.

carpenoctem
12-13-2011, 04:28 PM
No more Ghosts. He's done about four more hours of Ghosts now. Singing, please.

ratexla
12-16-2011, 04:09 AM
Nope, not at all! I love the slip! In fact, I was beginning to think I was the ONLY PERSON who liked the slip. So thanks for the reassurance that i'm not the only one. Demon seed is probably on par with TDS material, and Lights in the sky is to beautiful of a song to hate.
The slip... is my fave NIN album! (In an overall way - none of my top 5 songs are on it, I think. :B ) Each NIN album has been different and non-disappointing to me, so I'm not too worried about what he releases next. :)

ubermensch
12-16-2011, 08:23 AM
The slip... is my fave NIN album! (In an overall way - none of my top 5 songs are on it, I think. :B ) Each NIN album has been different and non-disappointing to me, so I'm not too worried about what he releases next. :)

The Slip wasn't bad by any means. Its a great album. Just not on par with The Fragile or TDS.

burn.
12-16-2011, 08:43 AM
Wait...
I thought the YZ series were going to happen next year.
Didn't he confirmed it somewhere?, he said something about HBO and 2012.

sheepdean
12-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Wait...
I thought the YZ series were going to happen next year.
Didn't he confirmed it somewhere?, he said something about HBO and 2012.
He also said something about Tapeworm and 2002. Due to the last two years being heavily score-focused, and from the fact we've heard nothing about filming or pre-production, I think it's safe to say that YZTV will take a wee bit longer.

burn.
12-16-2011, 11:42 AM
He also said something about Tapeworm and 2002. Due to the last two years being heavily score-focused, and from the fact we've heard nothing about filming or pre-production, I think it's safe to say that YZTV will take a wee bit longer.

There's still a year to go, maybe on fall. I don't know, I still have a little hope for it.

I mean, it seemed like they were already writting and looking for staff for this project:

Fight Club writer Jim Uhls has been tapped to write Trent Reznor’s HBO/BBC Worldwide Productions miniseriesYear Zero.

Reznor is working with the team of Lawrence Bender, best known for producing Quentin Tarantino films such as “Pulp Fiction,” “Inglourious Basterds” and ”Reservoir Dogs“ as well as the documentaries “An Inconvenient Truth” and “Countdown to Zero,” and Kevin Kelly Brown, who was executive producer on “Roswell.“
“BBC [Worldwide Productions] was the first to show interest and came on as the studio,” Reznor explained. “Our writer is Daniel Knauffrom ‘Carnivàle’ and he’s busy with pages right now and revising the overall world Bible. It’s been an interesting collaborative effort but I’ve learned that [television development] moves at a glacial pace.”

But yeah, he said it himself, things on TV work very slow so I guess we'll have to wait and not get over-excited about it yet.

ryanmcfly
12-17-2011, 12:28 AM
I think he said summer 2013 was when it's prolly gonna start. I could be wrong though.

strwbrryjam
08-28-2012, 11:06 PM
http://loudwire.com/2013-albums/

This article says 2013!!!

sheepdean
08-28-2012, 11:24 PM
The article bases that on wild assumptions. Somehow, I won't take a casual article from loudwire as the source of Halo 28's release date.

jmtd
08-29-2012, 04:14 AM

I love the Slip. I replay it a lot, I never replay YZ. Although I tend to skip to "head down" and skip discipline and echoplex too. So perhaps I replay only half of it a lot. Demon Seed is one of my all-time favourite NIN tracks.

icklekitty
08-29-2012, 05:43 AM
Demon Seed is one of my all-time favourite NIN tracks.

Yeah. I like Ghosts 38 too.

BenAkenobi
08-29-2012, 07:16 AM
1 year from now we'll still be speculating

gorast
08-29-2012, 10:37 PM
I don't really mind the extended wait, as long as we continue to get music from Trent.

I do think we'll see new NIN in mid to late 2013, though.

snaapz
09-05-2012, 03:28 PM
Listen to his recent works. Example: When TR, Twiggeth, AR & Peter M had a jam session in a hotel ... you heard a lot of new perc & synth samples being used that we would later find to be used a lot in YZ. (IMO)

He's got his studio set up nicely right now and has a lot of ideas from producing TGWTDT & HTDA. Will new HTDA sound like NIN? Will new NIN sound like HTDA? Will new HTDA sound like TGWTDT?

Maybe shared (self made) soundbanks but how hard core or industrial or AC he makes the new album is only a guess.

I'd say very electronic but more live instruments than YZ... but less live than Le' Slip.

Personally I'd like to hear more ARP. Manual or Piano Roll. (Heresey, Runier, Happiness in slavery, HLAH, MOTP, The Becoming, Everyday is Exactly the Same...)... but that's too easy right?

I'd also like to see a solid crisp guitar/drum track with normal progression - (Gave up)

But I'm more interested to see what I've never seen from NIN before. Something new.

sick among the pure
09-05-2012, 07:36 PM
I think that, like with each new NIN album and era, the next one will sound similar enough to past works to "be NIN", but have it's own sound to it. It's not going to sound "like" anything he has released yet. I remember when people were speculating over what WT would sound like. Then what YZ would sound like. And both times we were blown away with a completely new sound. I expect that this time, as well.

BipolarMike
09-10-2012, 02:20 AM
It's gonna be dubstep. Just wait.

danebraddy
09-10-2012, 04:18 AM
Listen to his recent works. Example: When TR, Twiggeth, AR & Peter M had a jam session in a hotel ... you heard a lot of new perc & synth samples being used that we would later find to be used a lot in YZ. (IMO)

I don't think that's an opinion :) The drum beat used in the jam session version of Reptile is the beat of 'The Good Soldier'. It makes sense knowing that the same equipment/vibe was making Year Zero on that tour.

I think the next HTDA will give a hint to the new NIN stuff.
I'm expecting layered atmospheres, and lot of 'groove'. Electronic.
Vocally I think it will be understated and lyrically... well who the hell knows?

I also have a feeling it will be long, almost Fragile-esque long.

But then again SATP is right - we haven't really seen whatever direction Trent takes coming, so based on that logic it will probably be short, acoustic and with the vocals loud and up front :P

thefragile_jake
03-03-2013, 01:37 PM
I guess we can start this up again? We have no idea what to expect or even when really this sucker is going to be released, although a report said that when NIN Greatest Hits drops in 2014 the new NIN record will follow...I'm wondering if maybe the new record will possibly come out around summer time to get people amped up for the tour this fall?

"Having a few years doing other things, I've enjoyed [them] and I'm enjoying doing How to destroy angels_, and there will be a place for stuff that falls in the Nine Inch Nails column of things," Reznor told Rolling Stone. "It's a different kind of work." Regarding the trajectory of his past few years, he said, "It's been an unexpected, weird ride. I'm just trying to approach things with integrity and try to find things that are interesting to me."

aggroculture
03-03-2013, 02:05 PM
I am really hoping this new NIN line-up can belt out a kick-ass album.
I am picturing something very organic-sounding. Less machines and electronics, more guitar, drums, bass.

onthewall2983
03-03-2013, 02:11 PM
I'm not saying Trent's going prog, but considering the length of some of the pieces from Dragon Tattoo and the latest HTDA record and the addition of Belew to his team makes me wonder if musically the sound will have some more technical expertise and more expanded forms.

sheepdean
03-03-2013, 02:13 PM
Trent should collab with Rick Wakemen and create the greatest prog album of all time

thefragile_jake
03-03-2013, 02:15 PM
Yeah, I've always wanted Trent to make something along the lines of the Fragile soundscape vibe but feeling more condensed and "digestable". I'm not saying I'm wanting him to remake the Fragile essentially but something that feels grand and epic but are 13 to 14 punches to your face.

thepresence0
03-03-2013, 03:33 PM
I would personally love to see Year Zero 2, however if I had to bet based on precedent... What we'll get is something different and unexpected. Consider With_Teeth to Year Zero to The Slip. These were wildly different sounding albums. Based on Trent's recent comments about feeling like he has something new to say, he seems like he might be a little bit pent up after years of doing movie soundtracks and sidelining his ego a bit with HTDA material. I would guess we're going to get something very personal again, at the least.

Edit: Also it will definitely be dubstep and he will be collaborating with jdevil. :)

Fragile Teeth
03-03-2013, 09:09 PM
I feel like considering who he picked as band mates it will be heavy drums, mid/distorted bass with wild wailing guitar sounds based off what Trent and Adrian Belew did in the past. The synths with be place holders to help the song build and give it texture.

Piko
03-03-2013, 09:33 PM
Expecting something VERY atmospheric.

BRoswell
03-03-2013, 09:35 PM
I'm expecting it to be a Nine Inch Nails album. Is there a chance I'll be disappointed?

thepresence0
03-04-2013, 06:18 AM
I think with Trent Reznor being Trent Reznor, there is always a chance he will alienate or disappoint some of his fans. Unavoidable. But given that I have loved nearly every one of his releases, I doubt I have anything to be worried about.

My least favorite release of his in the 00's was probably With_Teeth, and yet I still love the crap out of the majority of that album.

Personally I'd actually really like to see him allow himself to get goofy and experimental with lyrics again.

new now
03-04-2013, 06:32 AM
Haven't been around in a while but wanted to pitch in on this.

For the best speculation I'd say we have to look at the way this has been announced and the respective announcement itself.
Trent announced new NIN by telling us who his 'band' are.
That says something to me.
Tie that with the (paraphrasing) 'made me question what I though NIN could be' and I think we'll see something very band centric, a lot more control given to the chosen members and a much more collaborative effort.

Since 'wave goodbye' trent has started a ban which he openly said was more band like rather than his sole control, I think he has found - over the course of his career - a group of musicians and artists who he respects and trusts enough to allow for a true band.

In terms of sound, thats all in the air. Allessandro can produce almost anything from soaring melody to agressive noise. Bewel has such a roster under his belt its anyones guess (my hope is for more TF like stuff)

Deepvoid
03-04-2013, 06:57 AM
I'm expecting it to be a Nine Inch Nails album. Is there a chance I'll be disappointed?

Yes ... The Slip

jessamineny
03-04-2013, 09:28 AM
For the best speculation I'd say we have to look at the way this has been announced and the respective announcement itself.
Trent announced new NIN by telling us who his 'band' are.
That says something to me.
Tie that with the (paraphrasing) 'made me question what I though NIN could be' and I think we'll see something very band centric, a lot more control given to the chosen members and a much more collaborative effort.

No, he announced a new tour.

He has said for a long time that he's been working on new NIN music. But there's been no announcement of a new album.

thefragile_jake
03-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Yeah, exactly. I think the people working on this album are probably the people he's worked on NIN material with the last couple of years as well as Belew helping out with "musical ideas".

Yes ... The Slip

Meh, to each their own. I find Year Zero to be the most disappointing. Maybe "disappointed" isn't the proper term either, I don't think I was ever really let down ultimately by anything released under the Nine Inch Nails name...I just find Year Zero the one that I don't care for as much as his other work.

WorzelG
03-04-2013, 03:23 PM
So when Trent said on twitter he was 'experimenting around in the studio with a hero of mine' - was that Adrian Belew?

Fragile Teeth
03-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Damn, I hope the new album sounds like Mantra. That shit is beautiful.

thefragile_jake
03-08-2013, 11:29 AM
Meh. Mantra just sounds like a typical Foo Fighters track with little Trent piano sprinkled in. Nothing too exciting in my opinion.

Speaking of the new NIN record though, with How to Destroy Angels on Columbia now...that just means Nine Inch Nails is still basically a label free act correct? It's not like Columbia got a package deal or anything correct? So we could expect another Null Corporation release?

gorast
03-08-2013, 11:46 AM
I would think that Trent wouldn't use NIN as a bargaining chip with Columbia - though from what Rob said, it certainly wouldn't be the end of the world if it ended up being a package deal, no matter what the butthurt anarchists say.

Mantra was good, but it wasn't great. I don't want the whole album to sound like that - that'd get boring after track 2.

suicidegrrl
03-08-2013, 12:38 PM
Seconded!!!!
thirded? mwahaha!

staleincense
03-08-2013, 01:39 PM
So when Trent said on twitter he was 'experimenting around in the studio with a hero of mine' - was that Adrian Belew?
Considering that he's said he has been working in the stdio with him, probably.

Fragile Teeth
03-09-2013, 10:23 AM
Meh. Mantra just sounds like a typical Foo Fighters track with little Trent piano sprinkled in. Nothing too exciting in my opinion.

Speaking of the new NIN record though, with How to Destroy Angels on Columbia now...that just means Nine Inch Nails is still basically a label free act correct? It's not like Columbia got a package deal or anything correct? So we could expect another Null Corporation release?

I mean as in terms of effects and the arrangements. The drum beat is sort of repetitive. The bass is repetitive. The piano is very trent.

I know adrian belew will bring his own style since I believe I read this started as a collaboration between them. I expect more atmosphere and build-up and plain loudness/noisiness but mantra feels very natural to me like With Teeth.

A lot of his stuff since then feels very forced to me. This doesn't so much.

Collin
03-09-2013, 03:05 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/350ngxe.jpg

This basically confirms a new nin album. Plus the Kronos Quartet might be on it? damn!

fillow
03-09-2013, 03:52 PM
Kronos Quartet is overrated as hell, but it's still good news

voidnz
03-09-2013, 04:29 PM
It's probably a new ghosts then.

Fragile Teeth
03-09-2013, 05:32 PM

nope. I'm pretty sure Trent would realize that would be a terrible idea.

Collin
03-09-2013, 05:52 PM

As much as I love Ghosts I-IV, It would be really disappointing if Trent decided to do this. Don't get me wrong, I love his instrumentals, but I've just been a bit burned out at this point after all the soundtracks.

onthewall2983
03-10-2013, 12:18 AM
I'm not saying Trent's going prog, but considering the length of some of the pieces from Dragon Tattoo and the latest HTDA record and the addition of Belew to his team makes me wonder if musically the sound will have some more technical expertise and more expanded forms.

Now we can add strings to that...

jaypayton
03-10-2013, 12:12 PM
Ghosts is dead. YZ is dead. The last thing Trent is going to do is bring NIN back after 4 years and book a huge tour...to promote an instrumental album? Or to make a sequel to an album that came out 6 years ago that is already forgotten in the grand scheme of things....Not happening....

DigitalChaos
03-10-2013, 01:46 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/350ngxe.jpg

This basically confirms a new nin album. Plus the Kronos Quartet might be on it? damn!
Still #2
do it trent, do it!

JamesCmuse
03-10-2013, 02:19 PM
I reckon an album heavy in electronics and ambience is heading our way. Not YZ style electronics, but something that would work well in particular with Adrian's guitar work. I think there'll be tracks with considerable distortion and boom, but not so much as to dominate any more than half the album.

Edit: Note, when I say heavy in electronics I do not mean dubstep or anything that resembles it. :P

icklekitty
03-11-2013, 04:31 AM
So long as it sounds nothing like The Slip I'll be happy.

MrSlfDstruct
03-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Well this is both exciting and disappointing.

. . . there's no new record scheduled at this point.

http://www.nme.com/news/nine-inch-nails/69179?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=1993

thefragile_jake
03-13-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't understand this? We've heard from various sources that a new record was in the works and that he had been writing full fledged NIN material....plus with the whole Kronos Quartet mention I figured we were locked in for another record. Not that they know for sure it's an "album"...but still.

Tony
03-13-2013, 11:10 AM
well, /thread.

jessamineny
03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Well, I just read the NME summary as "there's no target/scheduled release date" not that there's "no new NIN album in the works." No biggie.

TR translation: "The tour will not be in support of a new album."

DigitalChaos
03-13-2013, 11:40 AM
Still going with Still #2. Look what videos were just added: http://vimeo.com/ninofficial. (Hint: it's the Still videos)

thefragile_jake
03-13-2013, 11:43 AM
Well, I just read the NME summary as "there's no target/scheduled release date" not that there's "no new NIN album in the works." No biggie.

TR translation: "The tour will not be in support of a new album."

Good point! Perhaps the new album will be released around the Greatest Hits collection then now?

jessamineny
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
The timing of the albums isn't really news. In the December interview in The New Yorker, he said the greatest hits record would come in 2014 and the new NIN album would follow that.

MrSlfDstruct
03-13-2013, 12:14 PM
Have NIN ever toured without a new release to support? I can't think of any instances.

jessamineny
03-13-2013, 12:18 PM
He could tour with a new release if he'd do The Fragile: Live.

/obligatory pouty selfish drama

Wretchedest
03-13-2013, 12:26 PM
if there is a new album, I'm hoping it'll be somewhat transformative. As I mentioned in it's thread, Welcome Oblivion is decent, but fails to tread new territory. I'm sure he'll blow my mind again soon enough.

sheepdean
03-13-2013, 12:40 PM
Have NIN ever toured without a new release to support? I can't think of any instances.
NINJA and Wave Goodbye?

jessamineny
03-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Not really the same thing. It was just one long, 14-month tour cycle after The Slip was released, from LITS to Australia to NINJA to Europe and Asia to the club dates. There was never more than a couple of months off.

jmtd
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
He's said he had some new work "in the new nin column" which is not incompatible with "no NIN album in the works". Even if he has hours of material there might be no cohesion: an album is more than the sum of its parts. Aside from artistry it's a project to manage with finances, personnel, Gantt charts...

MrSlfDstruct
03-13-2013, 01:24 PM
NINJA and Wave Goodbye?

I'd still consider those parts of the same touring cycle as LITS/Slip-related as there wasn't much of a break.

I was speaking more in terms of being gone for quite awhile and firing up a tour just because. It seems odd, especially with his previous comments regarding NIN as it was running its course.

But then again I guess we won't be seeing them as they were if they're reinvented from the ground up.

Banjos and tambourines on the upcoming tour. You heard it here first.

fillow
03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Dissonance wasn't in support of TDS. They wrapped everything up after Australian '95 dates and only came back because one cannot simply say 'no' to David fucking Bowie.

jaypayton
03-13-2013, 02:57 PM
they also did a club tour in late 95 after the Bowie tour...and inlate 96 they did the 3 or 4 show night of nothing tour...

BenAkenobi
03-13-2013, 03:01 PM
So to say, there really hasn't been a “remix-album-for-the-slip”, has it?

hobochic
03-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Hey now, don't forget Strobe Light and its world wide tour strictly available through windows media player, and compatible with most computer systems registered and verified through AOL and Dell computers. That tour was sick.

carpenoctem
03-13-2013, 04:24 PM
No new NIN album in the works per Pitchfork. Sadface. Will be intrigued to hear the new tracks off the greatest hits, but I guess he's really done with it now?

gorast
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
No new NIN album in the works per Pitchfork. Sadface. Will be intrigued to hear the new tracks off the greatest hits, but I guess he's really done with it now?
"No new album on the schedule" doesn't mean "no new album ever". Trent's been recording for like a full year now. Scroll up before posting.

jmtd
03-13-2013, 04:43 PM
So to say, there really hasn't been a “remix-album-for-the-slip”, has it?

We can dream...

icklekitty
03-14-2013, 03:51 AM
Good point! Perhaps the new album will be released around the Greatest Hits collection then now?

I believe the NME article says the Greatest Hits is planned for 2014 - I take that to mean enjoy NIN now before we get an influx of fanmates!

We didn't know that Year Zero was coming when Performance 2007 started, if that counts.

Beta
03-16-2013, 08:29 AM
We didn't know that Year Zero was coming when Performance 2007 started, if that counts.

hm, i wouldn't say so:
Performance 2007 (with the first date being 10 February 2007) was announced about 29 October 2006. see: http://web.archive.org/web/20061029150937/http://www.nin.com/tour/index.html
And a "new NIN record" was (unofficially announced) on 03 November 2006 via a Spiral blog, so just 5 days later. see: http://trent-reznor.narod.ru/03_11_2006-rough_mix_madness.html and http://trent-reznor.narod.ru/20_11_2006-revisions.html

so basically we knew that something was coming when the tour was announced. still these info was somewhat insider-info, because it was via spiral and stuff...

butter_hole
03-18-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm hoping the new album will be more synth-centric. Real synths, not laptop synths.

but he's been using analogue synths almost exclusively for the past three years