PDA

View Full Version : The Counselor

aggroculture
08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
Cormac McCarthy, Ridley Scott, Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Javier Bardem, Penelope Cruz, John Leguizamo, Rosie Perez.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2193215/

Reznor2112
08-12-2013, 12:10 PM
Anything starring Michael Fassbender is automatically amazing.

Anything or anyone else involved is merely a plus.

onthewall2983
08-13-2013, 12:19 AM
Dean Norris is in it as well, and the screenplay (http://www.amazon.com/Counselor-Movie-Tie--Screenplay-International/dp/0345803590/ref=sr_1_11?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376343242&sr=1-11) will be published in October.

onthewall2983
08-20-2013, 11:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ML50I0mVHY

Pillfred
10-28-2013, 01:03 PM
Kinda surprised this thread didn't pick up. Been super excited about this movie for a while now and I finally have the chance to see it. I report back later tonight after I watch it.

*So after reading some reviews I'm a bit hesitant to drop monies on it. Though there really isn't anything else that strikes me.

dpeters
10-28-2013, 08:20 PM
The dialogue varies sharply between abstract, philosophical language and naturalistic, day-to-day diction.

It took me a while to adjust (I rolled my eyes during the first Diaz/Bardem scene where they discuss past relationships in vague/abstract language).

However, this is a taut thriller with beautiful, well-framed cinematography. It's also (in my opinion) an exploration into heterosexual, cis-gendered male insecurity. The conversations between Bardem, Fassbender, and Pitt revolve around women and how ill-equipped they are to understand them (for various reasons: hubris, sexism, ignorance). They fancy themselves hunters but each man is prey. The women generally have more insight into the power dynamics and are principal actors in a script revolving around reaction to chaos.

Spoiler: Diaz had the most chips in the end.

I liked it--but the first twenty minutes are difficult.

uroboros
10-29-2013, 03:22 AM
Cormac McCarthy's The Counselor is a bleak experience that will weigh me down in the days and weeks ahead. In the tradition of 'No Country' and 'The Road' the soul withers as lives of all involved come undone. It is a slow burn that delves in the darkest recesses of humanity. I had long since lost faith in Ridley Scott and I am happy to say that he can still deliver with a strong script to work with. I regret that there are so many naysayers towards this film. As with 'Only God Forgives' or 'Drive', The Counselor is not a traditional Hollywood film & the negativity comes from a misleading trailer and the expectations that come from such poor marketing. Its a spectacular film w/ fantastic performances and labyrinthine dialogue. Highly recommended for any McCarthy, Scott, Bardem, Fassbender, Pitt, Cruz or Diaz fans. Get to it, cuz it prolly won't be in theaters long.

Pillfred
10-29-2013, 03:37 PM
Okay so I'm back on board, if I can swing the early show before my date tomorrow I'll go see it. I can enjoy a more abstract film.

orestes
10-29-2013, 06:59 PM
Highly recommended for any McCarthy, Scott, Bardem, Fassbender, Pitt, Cruz or Diaz fans. Get to it, cuz it prolly won't be in theaters long.

Those people exist?

Deadpool
10-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Just got back from seeing this. I loved it. What's with the critics/bad reviews? Such detailed dialogue - I loved Fassbender and Pitt's verbal parrying in particular. Awesome seeing those 2 actors go at it with McCarthy's words. The short scene with Fassbender and Cruz at dinner was a highlight, too - really fantastic acting in that scene. I've never been a Cameron Diaz fan, and The Counselor didn't change that, but I liked her scene with Penelope Cruz as well. As a Vanilla Sky fan, it was fun to see those actresses together again.

Definitely looking forward to repeat viewings of this.

mfte
10-30-2013, 12:24 PM
This is a great movie. I really don't understand the poor reviews saying that talent in front of and behind the camera is wasted. The story was bleak and lean. The only time where I almost started to think that the film was starting to lick its own butt was when the counselor was talking to the bar owner where he fell asleep. At that time I thought there might be too much dialogue BUT it ended quickly and moved on.

Stellar performances from everyone. Cameron Diaz can really bring it when she wants to and she definitely brings it in this movie.

Deadpool
10-30-2013, 07:39 PM
The only time where I almost started to think that the film was starting to lick its own butt was when the counselor was talking to the bar owner where he fell asleep. At that time I thought there might be too much dialogue BUT it ended quickly and moved on.

I almost forgot about the bartender scene! I actually really liked that part! I found what the bartender said about himself to the counselor to be extremely powerful. I love movies like this, and say The Social Network, where every scene is like a movie unto itself in that there's this rich, interesting dialogue between characters which is still tethered to one of more of the film's themes.

To that end, the wordless scene in which the wire was strung across the highway road was pretty awesome for some reason. The gun fight on the road was damn intense, too.

I also have to echo what dpeters mentioned about this flick being an exploration of male, heterosexual insecurity. It's subtle but present. That's something I want to pay more attention to on future viewings.

mfte
11-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Agreed about the exploration of the male. Also the relation of man and woman. Rennier loved Malkina which led to his ruin. The counselor loved Penelope Cruz and that led to her ruin. Brad Pitt loved women in general and that led to his ruin. Haven't thought about what this means to much.

I still dont get all the negative reviews. One thing that struck me was that every time I tell someone I saw this movie they either have never heard of this movie, or they heard of it but had no idea that it was out.

Corvus T. Cosmonaut
11-04-2013, 04:12 AM
I don't think the negative reviews are surprising. The Counselor is very bleak, lacking in sympathetic characters; it feels strange, difficult to fully grasp, with outcomes that stymie our expectations of justice or closure and leave a sour after-taste. This is all by design, but for many that itself provides sufficient ground for negative criticism.

onthewall2983
07-25-2014, 06:50 PM
Watched the extended cut today. I liked it, though I'm also not surprised at the mixed reaction. It always sounded to me like something his late brother should have been doing, so it was doubly fitting that it was dedicated to him. Watching it there were a few times I wondered what kind of wonderful craziness Tony Scott could have brought to it. It would be especially interesting to watch it back-to-back with Domino, where that visual excess hit it's peak (to me anyway). But this in comparison is much more muted and reserved, there is violence but the tension is brought out more by decisions and conversations.