PDA

View Full Version : Ministry

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Halo Infinity
11-30-2011, 11:38 PM
I really thought that Ministry was done for good back in 2008. From what I noticed, it has been announced that Relapse will come out on March 3, 2012. Aside from that, what do you think about Ministry's return? Do you think that Al Jourgensen should've just stopped altogether like he said he would back in 2008?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_(band)

http://www.thirteenthplanet.com/ministry/

https://www.facebook.com/Ministry

https://www.facebook.com/alienjourgensenofficial

http://www.youtube.com/MINISTRYMUSIC

https://twitter.com/alfknjourgensen (http://www.youtube.com/MINISTRYMUSIC)

Piko
12-02-2011, 09:11 AM
Yeah, he should've stopped. Another whatever metal album by a guy without a clue. He's a mess... He's been releasing making-of videos on YouTube. Here's the first one (out of five):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSsdkznovhw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And, for good measure, a video with al discussing marketing strategy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPcs5NCT-nk&feature=youtube_gdata_player

There's your indicator of what kind of album he's shitting out. And he released the Buck Satan album which isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. And here's the kicker - HE CAN ACTUALLY STILL SING!!! He needs to swallow his pride (what pride there is left) and make amends with the "book club" (barker, Connelly, and Rieflin. "clever" insult Al used to reference them).

DVYDRNS
12-02-2011, 09:37 AM
Al Jourgenson has disgraced his legacy. However Paul Barkers solo projects, Flowering Blight, USSA, have shown who the true mastermind in Ministry was. Pauls projects still sound like the classic ministry sound that we all love. Its just missing Al on vocals. Which I do miss sometimes...

aggroculture
12-02-2011, 09:47 AM
I don't think I've not despised a Ministry album since Houses of the Mole.
But I saw them live a couple of years ago and it was fun: very loud and psychedelic.

Halo Infinity
12-05-2011, 11:14 PM
There's your indicator of what kind of album he's shitting out. And he released the Buck Satan album which isn't as bad as I was expecting it to be. And here's the kicker - HE CAN ACTUALLY STILL SING!!! He needs to swallow his pride (what pride there is left) and make amends with the "book club" (barker, Connelly, and Rieflin. "clever" insult Al used to reference them).
I really wish that Al would do just that. I'm sure that's one of the huge reasons as to why I preferred both In Case You Didn't Feel Like Showing Up and Sphinctour far more than Adios... Puta Madres. (Aside from the songs.) I just hope Ministry performs some songs from The Land of Rape and Honey and The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste this time around. He just seemed to be more focused on Houses of the Mole, Rio Grande Blood and The Last Sucker. I actually liked those albums, but I still find myself preferring songs from Psalm 69 and Filth Pig live, along with every other album that came out before Psalm 69.

I'd also like to see if he might play any songs from Dark Side of the Spoon. Then again, I could understand how such requests might seem far fetched. I think Al even mentioned that the "Bush Triology" was among the most favorites of his works by far. And by the way, did Al also ignore playing anything from Animositisomina during the previous tour as well? I also made a mistake and noticed that Relapse is actually coming out on March 30, 2012. It's also interesting that you mentioned Al's singing. I completely agree with you there. I've liked his singing voice, especially in With Sympathy and Twitch. He's still got it. I also checked out the episodes for Relapse, and I suppose I'm just okay with what I've heard so far.

I'm partially not surprised that Ministry has returned either. Even when Ministry was supposedly "retired", he just didn't seem to go away with all the releases he put out after The Last Sucker. :p

fillow
12-06-2011, 05:29 AM
New album? meh, I was hoping for a couple more cover and reMIXXX albums
j/k

Piko
12-06-2011, 07:57 AM
Saccia's a guitar god, so I can at least expect the guitars to be amazing. I think HOTM is great (last album Saccia did, not counting great Satan). If it's another HOTM, then we at least have something better than the last few things he's done.

imail724
12-19-2011, 12:17 PM
Album cover and first single release date:
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/ministry-reveal-cover-art-for-new-album-plan-to-release-first-new-original-song-in-four-years-“99-percenters”.html (http://www.revolvermag.com/news/ministry-reveal-cover-art-for-new-album-plan-to-release-first-new-original-song-in-four-years-%E2%80%9C99-percenters%E2%80%9D.html)
Hear a preview here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006I2ZRS4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324290281&+sr=8-2

frankie teardrop
12-19-2011, 12:27 PM
http://www.technodisco.net/img/tracks/m/ministry/40257-ministry-with-sympathy.jpg

Piko
12-19-2011, 12:34 PM
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/ministry-reveal-cover-art-for-new-album-plan-to-release-first-new-original-song-in-four-years-“99-percenters”.html
Hear a preview here:
http://www.amazon.com/99%/dp/B006I2ZRS4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324290281&+sr=8-2

Wow. That is awful...

Space Suicide
12-19-2011, 01:08 PM
http://www.revolvermag.com/news/ministry-reveal-cover-art-for-new-album-plan-to-release-first-new-original-song-in-four-years-“99-percenters”.html
Hear a preview here:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006I2ZRS4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1324290281&+sr=8-2

Well, that's as horrid as I thought it was going to be. Seems like a rehash of the previous albums exactly. I love their trash metal sound but I've grown bored of it. I know a main stay of their lyrics ever since Psalm 69 has been politically driven but it's grown tired from my attention and mindset. Time for something new already? Please?

I also don't care for the album art.

DVYDRNS
12-19-2011, 04:48 PM
why does anybody give a half % of a crap about this drivel?

Highly Psychological
12-20-2011, 03:22 AM
One of my favorite groups of all time. They dont need to reform. It does not bother me. But just seems odd. I hope Al is OK.

Also Twitch is criminally underrated. Once saw them in a really small club, with terrible acoustics and a sound system that was not being monitored properly. It was the loudest gig i have ever been to. The people running the club looked like dangerous drug dealers. I had actual pains in my ears like i had an infection for about a week after. Like someone has slapped my head hard.
Strobes were so strong is you were epileptic you would probably have died. It did not seem macho either like they were trying to overdo everything, it just went with their music.

It was fucking amazing.

Reaps
12-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Ministry is like an ex-wife that got real ugly and keeps coming back for more maintanance.

xmd 5a
12-20-2011, 06:08 AM
http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/e2e4c6e7fbb8f78b6e5cb2e330bbf801/6176.jpg

Only Ministry release I can get 100% behind.

witte
12-20-2011, 07:49 AM
Ministry is like an ex-wife that got real ugly and keeps coming back for more maintanance.

Well spoken.
Edit: a cheap looking ex-wife...

Piko
12-20-2011, 09:00 AM
More like someone who's hit rock bottom but you can't help but watch. And I agree about Twitch. Amazing album that doesn't really get the respect it deserves.

NotoriousTIMP
12-20-2011, 09:14 AM
Haha, that album cover made me laugh, am I going to hell?

Has anyone seen ministry live within the last few tours? Is it worth going to this one or have the past shows sucked ass? I'd like to see Al live but if it's not worth it then I'll find a better way to spend my money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk!

Piko
12-20-2011, 09:32 AM
If the last tour is any indicator, I'd say it depends. If you plan on expecting to hear the hits, no. If you expect a set list with the new album, the bush albums, and a classic song or two - go for it. The bush trilogy is very more miss than hit with me. So paying for overpriced tickets to see that stuff isn't exactly ideal. You could always get the titanium package with a "chance" of meeting Grampa Jourgensen.

Totally
12-20-2011, 03:54 PM
The last 3 tours have kicked ass & with all-star lineups too. Never had a clue about animositisomina goin on around here.

frankie teardrop
12-20-2011, 04:18 PM
were you part of the old boards? because the old ministry thread was chok-a-blok full of complaints and musings on the band's former glories and current atrocities.

Piko
12-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Not many defenders of nu-ministry. If you enjoy it, good for you. I, personally, think it's a trainwreck for Al to continually try to thrash when he doesn't even listen to the genre. And it's debatable on your term of "all-star". Campos is probably the more successful of the lot.

Totally
12-21-2011, 01:50 AM
Yeah I was. With all the metal crap out there, I'm not sure how Ministry's trifecta doesn't measure up against any of it or atleast pass it all with ease. Out of his prime smime, Al's used the vocoder forever so what's the fucking difference. It feels to me the hate goin on is manufactured out of something different than the content on those last 3 albums, they're massive albums that have the same if not greater effect on me than LORAH, PSALM69, TMIATTTT whatever.. it's all different.. but the opinion here is old. The same people are in here that hated them for the last 5 years. What are we doing in here? Cuz they're re-releasing the old shit for $$$ so we'll bitch about that. hah. Any time someone new walks in here, the trilogy is passed off as an ill recommendation based not on fact, but loose opinion. I'd call HOTM & TLS complete epic pieces, but then again... that's just me. Power in numbers don't really supercede personal taste or a chance at some new music, but no one's ever going to change the minds of those already made up. Dunno. Just my opinion.

Has any one here even seen a show lately since the nu-stuff is 'crap'? Campos is the least integral in my opinion of the lineup last 3 tours. If you don't really see the significance of what the rest have had to offer I'd say you're missing out again.

Totally
12-21-2011, 01:58 AM
^ old hairball I guess needed come up. Would like to see the new board be more about personal taste than the atrocity that it sometimes was in certain threads before.

Totally
12-21-2011, 02:02 AM
I really thought that Ministry was done for good back in 2008. Do you think that Al Jourgensen should've just stopped altogether like he said he would back in 2008?

I'll say what I used to say - Exactly who... was? 'The Last Sucker' anyway?

Piko
12-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah I was. With all the metal crap out there, I'm not sure how Ministry's trifecta doesn't measure up against any of it or atleast pass it all with ease. Out of his prime smime, Al's used the vocoder forever so what's the fucking difference. It feels to me the hate goin on is manufactured out of something different than the content on those last 3 albums, they're massive albums that have the same if not greater effect on me than LORAH, PSALM69, TMIATTTT whatever.. it's all different.. but the opinion here is old. The same people are in here that hated them for the last 5 years. What are we doing in here? Cuz they're re-releasing the old shit for $$$ so we'll bitch about that. hah. Any time someone new walks in here, the trilogy is passed off as an ill recommendation based not on fact, but loose opinion. I'd call HOTM & TLS complete epic pieces, but then again... that's just me. Power in numbers don't really supercede personal taste or a chance at some new music, but no one's ever going to change the minds of those already made up. Dunno. Just my opinion.

Has any one here even seen a show lately since the nu-stuff is 'crap'? Campos is the least integral in my opinion of the lineup last 3 tours. If you don't really see the significance of what the rest have had to offer I'd say you're missing out again.

Dude no. These last few years have been nothing but half-assed. Nothing different. All he's been doing is milking psalm 69. He did HOTM, which I like. The problem comes after that. He decided to do the same exact thing. Only difference, is that he had Victor and Raven contributing. Nothing new about it other than the guitars Then he did The Last Sucker with yet another guitarist and yet again, does the same exact thing. And the production, far worse than before. And the introduction to that shitty drum machine he's used ever since.

You can honestly say that garbage is better than anything Slayer or any band has ever done? He's ruined ministry, ruined the Cocks. His "final tour" was the ultimate "fuck you". Advertise that they would play the hits that made him famous throughout the years. What we ended up getting was an entire show of the bush albums, shitty covers, and FOUR classics (if you were lucky).

He's a drunk old has-been who doesn't give a shit, writes music than I could probably write in less than an hour. No originality. You posted at Piss Army, didn't you?

Space Suicide
12-21-2011, 09:12 AM
Every band that says 'I'm done, this is it, the final tour/album' is usually telling a boldface lie. I don't even know why they bother stating that sentence or a variation on it. Though some bands, a small select few, actually do hold true to that sentence.

Piko
12-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Surprisingly, that doesn't really bother me much. It's the rehash of the same thing over and over again and Al waving his middle around and telling everyone to go fuck themselves. He's a shell of who he used to be. Highly intelligent guy whose relegated himself to some drunken wannabe biker who spouts out pseudo-political jabber and tries to come off like he's the most hardcore crazy guy you'd ever meet. The old Al Jourgensen would cringe at the mere sight. The album covers are now reduced to shitty photoshop. I may think RGB and TLS are below average, but at least the covers showed some effort.

Halo Infinity
12-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Every band that says 'I'm done, this is it, the final tour/album' is usually telling a boldface lie. I don't even know why they bother stating that sentence or a variation on it. Though some bands, a small select few, actually do hold true to that sentence.
After always seeing musicians renege on such claims most of the time, I'd have to agree with you. Final tours/albums are akin to making goodbye threads at a forum in the music world. :p As for Relapse, I'm sure I'm not going to hate it or dislike it, but I'm not denying that Ministry hasn't been the same in a long time coming, and while changes can be great, some things are just better off left alone.

_incoma_
12-21-2011, 06:35 PM
I've seen all the ministry tours since 2004. Honestly The Evil Doers Tour tops the other two. At least then he had some fucking energy. After that i felt totally ripped off. During the Masturbatour he was so fucking trashed he barley moved but you know at least he sang. Fast the last tour he upped the ante by leaning against the guitar cabinets fuck out of his skull while Burton Bell (who totally kicked ass and did the songs justice) did all the classics. So yeah, in general ministry shows have seemed more and more half assed on Al's part. If he really wanted to come back strong he should fuck off with the metal shit. Industrial music can be aggressive without being metal. His lazy ass needs to play a fucking synth again.

virushopper
12-25-2011, 01:49 PM
http://youtu.be/sKcPDudjmcI

Blah!

Piko
12-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Yeah, it's awful. Thankfully, I didn't pay for it.

Space Suicide
12-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Eh, it's ok. Same typical sound and fashion of the last albums. I like their thrash sound and I adore Rio Grande Blood but I'm not digging the sound much anymore. It's not that I don't like progression in terms of sound from 90's to now but the sound and themes have been stagnant for the past 3 albums. Grown tiresome.

In recent news, TLS's "Watch Yourself" was remixed by danny Lohner (aka Renholder) for the new Underworld soundtrack coming out next month. Video for it on Danny's facebook.

P.S. I know you are a member and will probably read this, Danny. Shed some light and insight on it!

voidnz
12-25-2011, 04:54 PM
Musically it's pretty cool imo. Lyrically it's fucking terrible.

imail724
12-26-2011, 02:49 PM
99 percenters is private and I can't find the renholder remix. someone help please

Totally
12-26-2011, 11:41 PM
Yea I posted a bit on the pissarmy, Piko

fillow
12-27-2011, 02:29 AM
Listened to Dark Side and Animositisomina a lot more than any other Ministry album this year. Can't get enough of them (though I have to sew me some new ears after every listen)

Senateguard33
12-28-2011, 05:02 PM
I welcome new Ministry material, but he needs to stop rehashing the same sound. What made Ministry a classic band was the awesome progression of their sound. I loved the variety of the great Ministry albums from the 80s...new wave, dance, industrial, experimental, ambient/collage, metal. Filth Pig and Dark Side of the Spoon brought some of this back, but for the most part he seems to be obsessed with making his music and image as "Psalm 69: Bigger and Badder" with every new album.

DVYDRNS
12-28-2011, 08:42 PM
its obvious he doesn't care what we think.

Piko
12-28-2011, 10:48 PM
He's at least always stayed true to what he wanted and vice versa. And he's always been like that. His song selections while touring are a perfect example of that. When he was touring for Filth Pig, he wanted to play nothing but Psalm 69 and that album. But thankfully snuck in a few "oldies". But unlike them, he's not getting tired of the same old thing. By the time Psalm 69 came around, Twitch was just a mere afterthought. If only he would do that with the new album and stick to that routine.

xmd 5a
12-31-2011, 03:29 AM
The Early Trax compilation has been on heavy rotation of late. Good stuff.

Space Suicide
12-31-2011, 08:41 AM
So I think Crumbs is one of their best songs from the 90's (and overall to me). Listened to Filth Pig again after some time, kind of a screwy and dark album that is. Lurve it.

Also for the record, I hate and don't know why Jesus Built My Hotrod is such a popular song. I think it sucks a lot. Never did like it. Also, With Sympathy is the shit. I've giving old Ministry albums a spin last night and this morning for fun. been awhile since I've had a proper listen.

Halo Infinity
01-04-2012, 04:49 PM
The Early Trax compilation has been on heavy rotation of late. Good stuff.
Early Trax has easily become on of my favorite Ministry compilations. Some of my favorite songs from Early Trax would be Nature of Love, He's Angry and Overkill.

So I think Crumbs is one of their best songs from the 90's (and overall to me). Listened to Filth Pig again after some time, kind of a screwy and dark album that is. Lurve it.
As do I. Did you also find yourself loving Dark Side of the Spoon as well?

Also for the record, I hate and don't know why Jesus Built My Hotrod is such a popular song. I think it sucks a lot. Never did like it. Also, With Sympathy is the shit. I've giving old Ministry albums a spin last night and this morning for fun. been awhile since I've had a proper listen.
While I didn't think it sucked, I also had a hard time understanding that myself. I also agree with you on With Sympathy as well. I loved songs such as Effigy (I'm Not An), Work For Love, Here We Go, Say You're Sorry and She's Got A Cause. (That's a whole lot of With Sympathy anyway, and I've also had that the album on heavy rotation as well.)

As for 99 Percenters, here's a URL on YouTube that actually works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY50tO3AUgA

I just don't see why it would have to be set to private if it would've inevitably leaked anyway. :p

Highly Psychological
01-05-2012, 11:45 PM
My current favorite Ministry track is WHAT ABOUT US which is not on youtube, it was in Artificial Intelligence by Steven Spielberg, very odd but cool seeing Ministry in that film, works perfectly.*

danebraddy
01-05-2012, 11:56 PM
My current favorite Ministry track is WHAT ABOUT US which is not on youtube, it was in Artificial Intelligence by Steven Spielberg, very odd but cool seeing Ministry in that film, works perfectly.*

I've always loved that song. It's also on their 'Greatest Fits' album.

RE: the new song... it's like TLS, the lyrics, while never Ministry's strong suit, are horrible.

It's all been downhill since The Dark Side of the Spoon... Animositisomina had some moments, Rio Grande Blood was fun in parts too.

The Last Sucker was embarrassingly bad, I know Al has abandoned his industrial roots in favor of punk/thrash/speed/metal but I wish he'd go back the 'old' sound. Maybe Paul was the reason I loved Ministry... since he left they haven't been half as 'interesting'.

DVYDRNS
01-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Pauls current music is excellent. its everything i loved about ministry. with the exception of Al's vocals. I miss those in pauls music. maybe he can work with connelly again. or ogre. since they contributed lots of vocals to ministry back in the day.

burninglard
01-07-2012, 11:43 PM
99% sucked. That was horrible. I can't believe Al thought that is was good enough to put out.
I love all of their albums, including the last trilogy, but that was song is bad. Mostly the vocals and lyrics. It sounds like a bad frat house song, that frat boys would sing not even knowing what they are saying.
If that is how the rest of the cd is going to sound, then this will be the first album of theirs I don't buy.

danebraddy
01-09-2012, 02:27 AM
Pauls current music is excellent. its everything i loved about ministry. with the exception of Al's vocals.

I just listened to some Flowering Blight - you are 100% correct - it's EVERYTHING Ministry is sorely missing these days... I guess in the Paul/Al split a backed the wrong horse and kept following Al when Paul was the one I should have been paying attention to.

Senateguard33
01-09-2012, 06:17 PM
I'll have to check out the Flowering Blight. I've heard a lot about it. I love the With Sympathy era...there's also a good number of great unreleased tracks that were played live during this era. I like that 99% is bringing back some melody, the intro reminds me of their song "Overkill" from 1980. Al is still my hero.

virushopper
01-23-2012, 04:49 PM
In other news, the documentary Fix comes out in April. http://www.fixtheministrymovie.com/

voidnz
01-24-2012, 01:57 AM
About fucking time.

Halo Infinity
01-24-2012, 08:21 AM
That's a relief. I was a bit worried that it would never come out. I'm definitely going to make sure that I save up for both Relapse and Fix this year. :)

imail724
01-25-2012, 04:38 PM
Extremely positive review. (http://www.kikaxemusic.com/reviews/album-reviews/item/5020-ministry-relapse-advance-album-review#.Txz5c-vEjxc.facebook)

MINISTRY manages to prove that they are not immune to the trappings of releasing one of an album's worst tracks as a single on 99 Percenters. A protest song for the "Occupy Movement," 99 Percenters falls flat musically, and from a lyrical perspective feels unfinished.

Piko
01-25-2012, 05:39 PM
I think there's about a total of four reviews out there. All of which are horrifyingly positive. 99% is pretty mediocre, and one review I've read actually calls that one the only weak track off the album. These all seem like metal reviewers though. But who knows? Maybe this one's gonna be alright... Have to hear it for myself.

fillow
01-26-2012, 12:30 AM
So this review tells me Filth Pig and Dark Side were bad albums and Relapse is gonna be much better? Did Al write this bullshit himself?

Piko
01-26-2012, 08:52 PM
In some circles, it's ok to hate the 90s stuff. Psalm 69 is te best thing ever and so on. Personally, Filth Pig is in my top 3. Certainly above Psalm 69.

Space Suicide
01-26-2012, 09:19 PM
Relapse > Filth Pig and Dark Side of the Spoon

Haha, all righty then.

Piko
01-27-2012, 08:18 AM
It's a safe bet that nothing he will do will ever even come close to Filth Pig. And as erratic and chaotic as Spoon is, that too. Strung out Al = Creative Al.

DVYDRNS
01-27-2012, 11:08 AM
listen to barkers work. I think its more like Strung out Al = Paul gets to do what he wants because Al is strung out....

Its become painfully obvious to me that Al Jourgenson was NOT the mastermind in Ministry. He was just an outspoken assface that got the band notoriety because a label signed him to make synth pop once.

Piko
01-27-2012, 04:28 PM
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Yeah, Paul contributed ALOT to the sound and took a lot with him when he left. But I remember seeing an interview with Paul saying that it was mostly 50/50. Think their partnership's been mostly a "keep the other in check" kind of thing. Paul was surely more than "just the bass player".

DVYDRNS
01-29-2012, 02:54 AM
I think Paul said that kind if crap to keep the peace. Otherwise I'd see a bit more awesomeness than I do in everything since he left.

Piko
01-29-2012, 10:52 AM
After Paul left, Al started the whole "hey kiddies, uncle al here! Buy my stuff". Play the "heavy music ffor the kids". Pretty sure Paul was the "no, bad idea" guy. And when Al finally cleaned up, the "bad idea" trick probably lost it's effect. Then it went downhill from there.

Radiovoyr
01-29-2012, 01:57 PM
The Perfect Pair is an amazing album. When I first heard it I was shocked by how much better I thought it was than any of the ministry releases since the split. I'd really love a new album from Flowering Blight. The Perfect Pair to me sounds like where Ministry should have gone after Filth Pig, which is my second favorite ministry album, my first being The Land of Rape and Honey.

Senateguard33
02-07-2012, 02:19 AM
Eh, I'm not so sure about that. Yeah, Paul contributed ALOT to the sound and took a lot with him when he left. But I remember seeing an interview with Paul saying that it was mostly 50/50. Think their partnership's been mostly a "keep the other in check" kind of thing. Paul was surely more than "just the bass player".

He says the same thing about Stephen George (the original drummer until 1985) as "just some drummer guy". Stephen went on to produce several mainstream multi platinum albums, which goes to say that he has had a more successful music career. Al has always had control of Ministry, but certainly needs others to keep the project focused. Paul was smart to leave after Animositiasomina. He knew at that point Ministry was a spent force.

burninglard
02-07-2012, 11:29 AM
Listened to 99% again. It was better than the 1st listen. But Al's vocals suck, no creativity and he sounds like a shadow of his former self. But I am excited again for the new album. I will be getting "Fix" in april. I am more excited about the film and tour in june more than anything else though. I hope they have some good opening bands play as well. Last time Meshuggah fucking owned, they were amazing.

Piko
02-08-2012, 08:46 AM
I'm mixed about 99%. Not the worst song I've heard. Not a great song either. Supposedly the weak track from the album according to some of the reviews.

Piko
02-24-2012, 03:34 PM
New single dropped today. Double Tap. Surprisingly isn't that bad. No psalm 69 or LORAH, but ain't too shabby. Much, much better than 99%. Came with two remixes. Both terrible.

virushopper
02-25-2012, 01:34 AM
http://youtu.be/V5M4aTGyZCA

Jinsai
02-25-2012, 01:41 AM
I went for a long time without realizing that Al was a moron. I'm sorry I watched that video clip

Space Suicide
02-25-2012, 09:45 AM
That's not that great...

:(

burninglard
02-25-2012, 05:48 PM
I think Double Tap is pretty fucking cool. Mikes guitar playing on it is awesome.

Anyone do the pre-order on 13th planet records? I think I might get the the bundle with the AL/oil shirt.

Piko
02-25-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm sure the album's going to have it's fair share of stinkers (99% and so on). I thought I was going to hate the song. But, it's managed to click with me. It's nothing new. But yet I find I find it more than tolerable at the same time. Hopefully there's a little more variety though. One of my main problems with nu-ministry. All of the songs sound the same, and the further you go, the less quality they are.

DVYDRNS
02-27-2012, 12:26 AM
if I have to grow to tolerate a bands music then I quit being a fan. this is my stance with Ministry. sucks but whatever...

Piko
03-19-2012, 04:11 PM
There's a leaky septic pipe spewing shit all over the place. Yeah, it's terrible...

virushopper
03-19-2012, 05:49 PM
Blah!
http://youtu.be/DqTxsSsaho0

trollmanen
03-19-2012, 10:44 PM
WTF AL. I can't even begin to describe how bad that was.

danebraddy
03-20-2012, 02:03 AM
that could possibly be the worst music video ever made. It's not even bad enough to be good.

Way to trash an already shaky legacy you jackass.

WorzelG
03-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Aren't Ministry closer to the 1% than the 99%? - they don't really have to work for a living anymore

Maximilian
03-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Blah!
http://youtu.be/DqTxsSsaho0

Dumb video, dumb lyrics, but I still dig the sound.

Hazekiah
03-20-2012, 04:39 AM
Aren't Ministry closer to the 1% than the 99%? - they don't really have to work for a living anymore

Um, he almost died from 13 ulcers.

An ordeal which likely resulted in MASSIVE hospital bills.

And then BAM! Ministry's back and touring again.

That is almost LITERALLY the very definition of "working for a living," ffs.

Space Suicide
03-20-2012, 08:48 AM
I HATE that music video. It's so horrible. The song itself is all right. Still doesn't hold up to Rio Grande Blood in the thrash respects. That's my favorite.

Magtig
03-20-2012, 03:59 PM
If anyone's got a link to the Flowering Blight album, I would really appreciate a PM. I can't seem to find it, and I'm really liking what previews I can get on myspace.

WorzelG
03-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Um, he almost died from 13 ulcers.

An ordeal which likely resulted in MASSIVE hospital bills.

That is almost LITERALLY the very definition of "working for a living," ffs.

Being from the UK (apparently a full blown communist state) hospital bills just don't figure in my rich / poor equation

Carpathian Psychonaut
03-20-2012, 04:55 PM
I read the posts so far and wondered if it is really that bad or if people have just fallen out favour with Al & Ministry these days.

I watched the video.

Damn. That's truly terrible and the most painful and unenjoyable part of it is that Al probably doesn't even realise that's the case.

Such a genuine shame.

Gray Grimez
03-21-2012, 08:50 AM
Sooooo bad. The only thing that could possibly make a difference is you have to wonder whether al is just trolling anyone, he can't actually be that retarded can he? I mean the song's pretty terrible even by ministry standards, the vocals sound horrible, the lyrics are shit and the videos bollocks. Not exactly a good look..

Gray Grimez
03-21-2012, 08:51 AM
And as for ministry not needing to work, you really don't get how the music industry works if you think that. Most bands we listen to are still broke, very few reach that NiN higher echelon of actually making a shitload of money, and a lot of that's done to some very astute business decisions by trent.

Piko
03-21-2012, 02:39 PM
Al thinks he some higher than life rockstar. Ego way above cloud nine. Doesn't help either that he has all of these rabid yes-men to feed off of. The real Al Jourgensen would be sick to his stomach.

Reaps
03-23-2012, 01:12 PM
The one thing about music, rock/metal music mostly that really makes me mad is listening to a generic riff and then listening to a chorus which basically repeats the song title 4 times. Well, i just streamed ' Relapse' and i'm not mad at all. It's actually too funny to get upset.

This album must either be a very impressive trolling session or, well.. nah this can't be serious.

voidnz
03-23-2012, 03:24 PM
http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/ministry-relapse_album_stream

Relapse is streaming. If you have any respect still for Ministry though don't listen. I'm at the third song and Double Tap's ok. The other 2 songs Ghouldiggers and Freefall are embarrassing.

Space Suicide
03-23-2012, 03:41 PM
I am listening...bad idea. The Last Sucker should've been the end for real.

Carpathian Psychonaut
03-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I have no problem with any band or artist trying something new, even if it doesn't work. Good luck to them.

I do have a problem with a band I love(d) grinding themselves into the ground with a catalogue tail-end that you'll see listed in the dictonary under "diminishing returns".

Can you guess where I'm going with this comment?

virushopper
03-23-2012, 05:58 PM
That was....WOW....outside of 'Double Tap' I can't remember any other good songs. Save your money and bandwidth and don't bother with this.

Fixer808
03-23-2012, 06:15 PM
Ugh, I'm gonna go listen to Filth Pig.

Magtig
03-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Al's new stuff is so bad it's ruining the old stuff. I'll probably never like Ministry, even the good albums, like I used to at this point. He's just done way too much damage, and revealed himself as such an incredible buffoon. "Pathetic" and "embarrassing" really don't quite communicate how awful this is.

Space Suicide
03-23-2012, 06:44 PM
After listening to the whole album, the only songs worth noting and a nod from me are Double Tap, 99 Percenters and Blood Lust. the rest flows into one continuous stream of the same droning guitar riffs and insane drumming. It doesn't show any individuality or unique sound to any one song, they all mostly sound similar and even more subpar than the worst tracks of the Bush Trilogy combined. I'm not going to buy it.

Hazekiah
03-23-2012, 07:52 PM
http://exclaim.ca/MusicVideo/ClickHear/ministry-relapse_album_stream

Relapse is streaming. If you have any respect still for Ministry though don't listen.

Totally disagreed and I haven't even finished the album yet.

I know it's not the same Ministry that always changed before anyway, but I still really enjoy the relentless, simple, speedy, brutal, sarcastic-and-yes-sometimes-even-silly thing that Ministry's become pretty much as well as I'd enjoyed the relentless, simple, speedy, brutal, sarcastic-and-yes-sometimes-even-silly thing Ministry always was before. And Tommy Victor kicks ass, I'd go see any band with him in it.

And Flowering Blight is amazing, too. Likewise, I can't wait for Fix to finally come out on DVD because it is one of the most fun and awesome music documentaries I've ever seen in my life and I'm dying to watch it again! Glad they got that settled finally. But this is Ministry and Ministry's whatever Al wants it to be...which might not be my favorite Ministry but it's still kicking lots of ass anyway. Yeah, I wish Paul were back in the band. But this is Ministry.

bobbie solo
03-23-2012, 09:55 PM
man you reveal yourself as such a blind lemming on this board almost every day.

voidnz
03-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, i'm looking forward to Fix a lot.

I thought all the dumb rambling before those 2 tracks was really annoying. Nothing wrong with the music. Al's lost it, his bandmates would be better off working on other project anyhow

Hazekiah
03-24-2012, 01:38 PM
man you reveal yourself as such a blind lemming on this board almost every day.
And your own posts are equally revealing about yourself.

I already said that the current material isn't exactly my favorite stretch of Ministry releases and explained that I'm choosing instead to appreciate it for what it is while enjoying many of the same elements which have always carried over from one version of the band to the next. And as much as I wish Paul were still one of the constants in the band, he's just not. This is Al's show. And I like Rammstein and Hanzel und Gretyl, etc. This permutation of Ministry might fit better on a mixtape with them than it does with some of the best old Ministry stuff, but as I like those bands anyway I can certainly live with that if that's what Al feels like doing these days.

I'm a NIN fan on a NIN board, ffs. I'm hardly in any position to begrudge someone the opportunity to make music with their own band as they see fit, regardless of whether or not my personal favorites from a revolving-door cast of bandmates are involved any longer.

You might call that being a blind lemming somehow, but I just call it not being an asshole.

I mean, I know that whole "I'm-the-biggest-fan-because-I-hate-it-the-most" thing is BIG over here...but I'm just not one of those guys, sorry.

aggroculture
03-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Cursory listen to the album: is it that worse than anything he's churned out since 2004? For me Ministry went bad when they started rehashing Psalm 69 over and over.
But I still enjoyed the live show I saw several years ago.

trollmanen
03-29-2012, 09:04 PM
http://thequietus.com/articles/08397-ministry-relapse-review

This review sounds about right!

Piko
03-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Yeah, that one's pretty spot on.

danebraddy
03-30-2012, 01:50 AM
Cursory listen to the album: is it that worse than anything he's churned out since 2004? For me Ministry went bad when they started rehashing Psalm 69 over and over.
But I still enjoyed the live show I saw several years ago.

if you are including Rio Grande Dub in your list, then yes it is worse.

Maximilian
03-30-2012, 09:45 AM
Well, shit.

Another new Ministry album, another thread full of people communicating how awful it is, then I ignore them, buy it and enjoy it.

I don't compare everything to the "golden years".

Space Suicide
03-30-2012, 09:48 AM
Well, shit.

Another new Ministry album, another thread full of people communicating how awful it is, then I ignore them, buy it and enjoy it.

I'm not comparing it to 90's Ministry but even to Houses of the Mole and Rio Grande Dub it doesn't even hold a consistent candle. It's weak.

I LOVE Rio Grande Blood.

Carpathian Psychonaut
03-30-2012, 12:21 PM
Well, shit.

I'm not comparing it to "the golden years".

I'm comparing it to things that aren't shit :D

Piko
03-30-2012, 05:20 PM
The album doesn't suck because its not psalm 69. It sucks because it's an unfocused, rushed mess. One thing that probably made the older albums so great is the fact that they took their time making those albums. They didn't constantly recycle and churn out the same thing over and over again. None of this stuff requires much though. And if I were to compare the new one to The Last Sucker, TLS would win by a longshot. Not a great album, but it at least had more songs I could get behind. This one only has three tolerable ones out of the eleven (Double Tap, Freefall, and Bloodlust) .

Maximilian
03-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Bah, I just meant I kinda liked it. I'll agree that it's weak even by anyone's standards. It's especially NOT a good farewell album....

wizfan
03-31-2012, 11:03 AM
Posted it already in the Puscifer thread, but I think it should be here, too:

The guys who made FIX: The Ministry movie are releasing a track by Paul Barker remixed by Puscifer!

http://www.fixtheministrymovie.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=113&vmcchk= (http://www.fixtheministrymovie.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=113&vmcchk=1&Itemid=113) 1&Itemid=113

Maximilian
03-31-2012, 02:16 PM
Hmm, well how about an actual track from Paul Barker featuring Ogre:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vdcd5yOsnw

Space Suicide
03-31-2012, 04:07 PM
Paul Barker and Flowering Blight are so much better than what Ministry has become. I know it's been stated several times but hey, it's just true.

burninglard
03-31-2012, 05:49 PM
That Ogre and Paul song kicks ass!
Can't wait to get the cd and FIX in a week and a half. :)

Now, I bought Relapse and I have to say it is my least Favorite album of Miniatry's. Besides the first 3 tracks and bloodlust the cd is a lot of filler. I loved the last 3 'bush" albums but this one is so generic even by those standards and is nothing memorable.

I hate to have to admit it but Al has truly ran out of creativity and idea's for Ministry. :(

imail724
03-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Get up, get out and vote... Seriously?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

imail724
04-02-2012, 10:30 AM
I cannot wait for the Fix This album. New Paul Barker with Chris Connelly!?! Yes!

Space Suicide
04-02-2012, 10:44 AM
Al is a narcissistic prick these days.

I picked up the latest Revolver magazine and it had a Ministry interview with Al in it. He's a real piece of work. I'd like to think he's not being serious but the sad thing is that he is.

I'm only paraphrasing this but one question asked why he hasn't had a drummer on a studio album for many years, his reason: he believes that drum machines are superior and better advanced. He then said that drummers are primadonnas and are 'like Republicans' as they are going extinct and anything they do they try to get as much credit and bragging rights as possible.

He also mentioned the origins of his new piercings in it: his daughter said he was a 'pussy' for not having any. He then replied that getting a tattoo hurts more (truth). He then had a bet with her that if she got a tattoo and he got some piercings they'd see who the bigger pussy action was. He then stated that he got 8 piercings to prove he wasn't a pussy. Okay, cool?

He also stated he hates his Bush trilogy and other material and that he believes that Relapse is his best and current work. Wrong.

He's lost touch with himself, I tell ya.

Piko
04-02-2012, 02:18 PM
He needs to come back down to earth. The bush trilogy shits all over this album.

sheepdean
04-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I know Al isn't the most decent of guys, but I don't see why that should affect people's opinions on the music.

Piko
04-02-2012, 03:42 PM
Because it's affecting the music. He's always been a douche. But he was a douche who managed to put out good albums and surrounded himself with many talented folk. Now he's a delusional old man trying so.hard to stay on the train that left years ago.

Extar
04-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Al Jourgenson has disgraced his legacy. However Paul Barkers solo projects, Flowering Blight, USSA, have shown who the true mastermind in Ministry was. Pauls projects still sound like the classic ministry sound that we all love. Its just missing Al on vocals. Which I do miss sometimes...

I agree, there needs to be Paul Barker in the equation. Also, there needs to be more Lard: the Jourgensen side-project that never went downhill. All that said, HotM had some absolute killers on it.

Piko
04-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Al and Barker fed off each other that worked in a great way. Al had to have been a handful during the 90s, so to have someone like that around to keep the boat afloat. One had the other to filter out the bad ideas. It worked. No one's telling Al "no". And all he's done is surround himself with a bunch of drunken Texan yes-men.

_incoma_
04-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I agree, there needs to be Paul Barker in the equation. Also, there needs to be more Lard: the Jourgensen side-project that never went downhill. All that said, HotM had some absolute killers on it.

Max Brody was still on board on that album. After that is when everything Ministry just wilted. Plus the drummer at that time was pretty cool. If the dude would just say fuck being heavy and screaming all the time it would open more doors for him. Too bad he's too drunk to figure it out.

fillow
04-03-2012, 05:50 AM
Please no more Lard. Unless you want it to go downhill as well real fast.

Highly Psychological
04-03-2012, 07:24 AM
Unless your a meth smoking Texan metalhead....this record gets quite boring after a few listens. I quite liked the stupidity of it at first and the ferocious nastiness of it, is quite funny and charming for a couple of listens....but yeah then it gets boring....I have found any Ministry material since Animositisomnia really mediocre too. Which is weird cos i still listen to anything by Ministry between 1986-2003 loads....its timeless.

I didnt really notice the shift towards retarded metal band until i saw them live in 2006, the audience seemed really different, more thugs, a lot more violent and macho, big guys with their tops off swinging their arms about in the mosh pit....before that it was still mental but there seemed a different vibe. Most important thing is that the gig was not scary....Ministry gigs were always scary, only the Butthole Surfers gigs from the 1980's were more trippy.

At best in 2012 it would be cool to look forward to a record in a similar vein to Dark Side of the Spoon...but Ministry will always remain shit if Al continues to drink. Those recent videos of him are shocking, there is nothing dangerous or cool about his image now. Just get your shit together man! If Keith Richards can do it so can you!

Space Suicide
04-03-2012, 08:27 AM
Lard wouldn't reform anyways. I severely doubt that Jello Biafra would agree to it.

DVYDRNS
04-03-2012, 09:05 AM
are you kidding me? jello is an attention whore almost more than Al is! He'd sign up for anything that allows for flailing around being ridiculous on stage.

fillow
04-03-2012, 09:57 AM
except Lard isn't particularly known for live shows...

imail724
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
fixtheministrymovie.com says the album is out today but I can't find where to purchase it? Does that just mean I can listen to it on spotify today but the only way to own it is to buy the dvd?

Piko
04-03-2012, 04:19 PM
Almost positive there won't be another Lard album. Could've sworn I've seen an interview somewhere with Jello dismissing it.

Extar
04-03-2012, 09:40 PM
Almost positive there won't be another Lard album. Could've sworn I've seen an interview somewhere with Jello dismissing it.

I will cry myself to sleep tonight.

DVYDRNS
04-03-2012, 11:12 PM
I saw Ministry in mid 2000's in san francisco. half the set was a lard set with jello acting like an asshole the whole time. sure it was entertaining tho.

Hazekiah
04-04-2012, 02:57 AM
I saw Ministry in Chicago in 2004 on Al's 45th birthday. At nearly the end of the show they wheeled out a giant prop cake onstage and Jello popped out all fat and beer-gutted in a cop shirt so he could do some spoken word action before launching into a couple Lard songs as an encore. It was pretty fucking awesome.

I bootlegged that shit and it turned out pretty well, too...I'll make sure to post it someday.

:)

trollmanen
04-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Saw this update on Litany, and since I didn't see a thread on the Fix documentary on Ministry, so I thought I'd add it here.

http://www.fixtheministrymovie.com/

It's released tomorrow on their website. The DVD comes with a CD of new material from Paul Barker featuring Orge (Skinny Puppy) amongst others.

Here's what Paul had to say for Litany about their track, reSpite:::

I talked to Ogre about this fresh idea I had: make a generic thrash metal record and sing about current lame political woes using sesame street lyrics, but I still have all my teeth and wanted songs with a little more bite than that. After many hilarious phone calls a deal was struck: I write the music and he writes and sings the lyrics.

So I sent Ogre a rough song I wrote. Unfortunately, our schedules didn't allow us to track together, so he and Mark Walk sent me finished vocals and I finished the mix.

Not nearly as much fun as being together in the studio, but fun nonetheless. All 1's and 0's- very modern.

koz-ivan
04-12-2012, 06:58 AM
looks like the Fix movie has shipped. it was starting to feel like that project was never going to reach fruition, the included cd seems promising.

Relapse was meh, i don't really feel like continuing to beat on that dead horse, however the production seemed a little better than the last batch of ministry / revco records...

in some what related news, it's good to hear the newish chris connelly record "artificial madness" it never attempts to reach ministry levels of madness and chaos, but at least he's still out there, and the record is more rock and less crooning than most of his output over the last decade.

connelly's book "concrete, bulletproof, invisible and fried: my life as a revolting cock" should be required reading for fans of the ministry / waxtrax era.

fillow
04-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know if any soundboard bootlegs exist from DSOPS or Animositisomina tours?

danebraddy
04-12-2012, 09:24 AM
this fresh idea I had: make a generic thrash metal record and sing about current lame political woes using sesame street lyrics, but I still have all my teeth and wanted songs with a little more bite than that.

ouch, very true and apt, but ouch.

imail724
04-17-2012, 07:19 PM
So anyone get the DVD/CD set of Fix?

Andrew
04-18-2012, 09:41 AM
yes. The film is worth seeing if you are/were a fan of the band's 80s/90s music. It was not what I expected. It's a portrait of a creative guy with a celebrated past at the peak of heroin addiction beginning a nasty slide into delusions and paranoia. Lots of great interviews and stories, but the time difference between core footage (96 ish) and interview footage (recent) makes it feel like an obituary. It abruptly starts and abruptly ends.

also, Barker's included album is more Ministry than anything in years. The first track doesn't work for me (that singer doesn't fit the music) but the rest of it is pretty good.

Space Suicide
04-19-2012, 09:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xYoXWWYlhY

LOL

koz-ivan
04-19-2012, 10:08 AM
yes. The film is worth seeing if you are/were a fan of the band's 80s/90s music. It was not what I expected. It's a portrait of a creative guy with a celebrated past at the peak of heroin addiction beginning a nasty slide into delusions and paranoia. Lots of great interviews and stories, but the time difference between core footage (96 ish) and interview footage (recent) makes it feel like an obituary. It abruptly starts and abruptly ends.

also, Barker's included album is more Ministry than anything in years. The first track doesn't work for me (that singer doesn't fit the music) but the rest of it is pretty good.

i was (slightly) disappointed in some of the interviews, seemed like half of them really didn't have much to do with al / ministry, i had hoped that there would be more on the ministry process, and perhaps have included more from paul, chris or perhaps even atkins vs some of the included interviews from that drunk guy in the gothy black leather, navarro or maynard, or the guy with the dog for that matter. at least maynard & navarro were coherent and i suppose they did fill in some details on lifestyles of "rockstars" in general, even if they didn't have specifics on ministry or al.

still a good film, when the live performances were shown it was a nice reminder of just how awesome ministry used to be.

voidnz
04-21-2012, 04:15 PM
Anyone know if it's hit the internet? I can't find it yet.

andre78
04-25-2012, 12:20 PM
I just received an e-mail about the release of Fix, directing to http://fixtheministrymovie.com/. After reading some comments here on the board, my interest about it slowed down... but the mail cites Trent and even has a pic of him in the site. Anyone saw the final movie? And what does TR have to say?

koz-ivan
04-27-2012, 05:28 AM
I just received an e-mail about the release of Fix, directing to http://fixtheministrymovie.com/. After reading some comments here on the board, my interest about it slowed down... but the mail cites Trent and even has a pic of him in the site. Anyone saw the final movie? And what does TR have to say?

on the whole, i enjoyed the film, definitely worth a watch if you're a ministry fan.

trent was a really good interview, he talks about his history w/ ministry a bit and his own struggles with substance abuse.

Andrew
06-05-2012, 01:24 PM
flipping through the new release bin in the local record shop today and spotted this:
http://www.amazon.com/Very-Best-Fixes-Remixes-Ministry/dp/B007WFQZQ4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1338920501&sr=8-2

wtf. Is any of this any good? The angelspit remix made it sorta tempting. Wish there was a date next to all the tracks to indicate vintage.

imail724
06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
Holy shit it never ends with these cash-in releases

fillow
06-05-2012, 02:11 PM
review (supposedly from Al himself): The re-recordings and remixes were great to hear. NWO was a good but I still favor the original. The Stigmata and Jesus Built My Hotrod Re-recordings and remixes I whole heartedly enjoyed. The remakes: Iron Man, Purple Haze, Paranoid, Thunderstruck, Sharp Dressed Man, Rehab, Paint It Black and Sweet Dreams(are made of these... ALL AMAZING! They brought back that industrial angst from my youth and merged it with timeless songs to leave me wanting MORE!

Space Suicide
06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
LOL ^

What dismays me just as much as the crappy covers, lousy remixes and generic form is how awful the album artwork has gotten.

koz-ivan
06-06-2012, 12:30 AM
LOL ^

What dismays me just as much as the crappy covers, lousy remixes and generic form is how awful the album artwork has gotten.

i'm not sure who is to blame for the album artwork stuff, cleopatra has seemingly always had really sub standard artwork - among other dubious distinctions. anyway cleo has made it painfully clear that they have very little in the budget for album artwork.

imail724
06-13-2012, 06:40 PM
This had to be posted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm1UhzcJrtw&feature=youtu.be
http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/images/12/2010/04/implied_facepalm.jpg

Reaps
06-13-2012, 07:43 PM
^video is blocked in the UK, on copyright grounds?? anywhoo, for some reason i feel relieved..

Space Suicide
06-13-2012, 08:40 PM
^video is blocked in the UK, on copyright grounds?? anywhoo, for some reason i feel relieved..

Garbage, like everything post 2008.

Piko
06-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Wow, that was even worse than the 99% video...

DVYDRNS
06-14-2012, 09:19 AM
i wish he WAS dead.

frankie teardrop
06-14-2012, 10:15 AM
Garbage, like everything post 2008 1992

there ya go.

Atom
06-14-2012, 10:26 AM
"post 1992"? Filth Pig and Dark Side of the Spoon are fantastic. Everything after 2003-04 is absolute shit though.

frankie teardrop
06-14-2012, 10:31 AM
yeah, was going for the easy joke there. i actually don't mind some of filth pig, but i check out after that. i don't even love psalm 69 as much as most ministry heads, but i'm that weirdo who vastly prefers with sympathy/twitch to any of the harder material. i was on board for the synths/metal guitar mix, but i got lost when it started swinging more to the thrash/bombastic side of things.

xmd 5a
06-14-2012, 10:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdB6e91stm0

All downhill after this classic IMHO! (Though Twitch is top tier too)

frankie teardrop
06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Reaps
06-14-2012, 01:16 PM
I can't quite figure out why they put out trash metal albums and fill the singles with dubstep remixes, It's all most confusing. Anway, My sole interest with Ministry lies between LORAH & Filth Pig, The rest i only follow for the comedy value. Oh, I quite like Worm.

Piko
06-14-2012, 01:51 PM
Because he's trying to cash in. But at this point, if you weren't a fan before, you probably never heard of them. His albums barely even sell from what I hear.

virushopper
06-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Setlist from last night (setlist.fm):

Ghouldiggers
Rio Grande Blood
Señor Peligro
No W
LiesLiesLies
Watch Yourself
Life Is Good
99 Percenters
Relapse
Waiting
Worthless
The Last Sucker
Khyber Pass

Encore:
Psalm 69
N.W.O.
Just One Fix
Thieves
So What
United Forces

slave2thewage
06-18-2012, 11:56 AM
I cannot with those setlists.

Maximilian
06-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Aww, shit. I thought he was gonna break out "What He Say".

Let's dance!

DVYDRNS
06-18-2012, 02:30 PM
so if i go see ministry, show up for the last 30 minutes and I'm good.. noted.

fillow
06-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Al quote from August '11 just for teh lulz

“We’ll do all the major hits. To be honest with you my favourite records are now the last few that I’ve done. I really love Houses of the Molé, Rio Grande Blood and The Last Sucker, I really think those three are great records, so three or four off the new one and then like seven or eight of the old ones and keep it to that, like 20 or 25 songs a night and a two, two and a half hour set, a little bit of something for everyone I’m gonna try and hit every single album I’ve done.”

frankie teardrop
06-18-2012, 02:49 PM
wanna bet, al?

virushopper
06-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Okay, thanks to an awesome dude at the Prongs forum. Here is the setlist for the Relapse tour:
http://i.imgur.com/t1bb5.jpg

Yesterday night's show did NOT have "No W" and "Hero".

voidnz
06-18-2012, 05:27 PM
Probably best to miss the main set and just show for the encore.

sayyosin
06-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Ministry is dead to me.

burninglard
06-19-2012, 05:05 PM
I was at the Denver show, front row right in front of Al the whole night.

They did not play Double Tap or Hero. THey did play No W.

Al completely fucked up The Last Sucker, he stopped singing after the 1st chorus, and the bad had a "WTF" look.He seemed really drunk. But he apologized right after the song was over. The show was really awesome up until that point then it just felt off the rest of the night.
I am seeing them in LA as well, hopefully they(AL) has it down tight.

The opening local band Overcasters were really good, I got a free album from them. They had a great woman drummer.

BlackBurner sucked, stupid dubstep crap, and they seemed like a deadmaus wannabe. Then they had slutty chicks dancing with them on stage, it was horrible.

I will let you know how the LA show goes.

virushopper
06-22-2012, 02:26 AM
Quick recap of tonights LA show, Al ends the show early.

Here's the set list:
Ghouldiggers
Rio Grande Blood
Señor Peligro
No W
LiesLiesLies
Watch Yourself
Life Is Good
99 Percenters
Relapse
Waiting
Worthless
The Last Sucker
Khyber Pass

Encore:
Psalm 69
N.W.O.
Just One Fix
Thieves
and at this point Al says good night and that was it.

The setlist clearly stated 'So What' and that cover tune were going to be played but no reason was given why they weren't played.

burninglard
06-22-2012, 10:30 PM
^ Because of the curfew.
Al said that, maybe you missed that?

I had a great time, the band and Al were way better than in Denver. It was nice too see him not drunk.
On the rail the whole show, infront of Al and his kick ass mic stand :)

bobbie solo
06-22-2012, 10:31 PM
stop giving him your money!

virushopper
06-22-2012, 10:54 PM
^ Because of the curfew.
Al said that, maybe you missed that?

I had a great time, the band and Al were way better than in Denver. It was nice too see him not drunk.
On the rail the whole show, infront of Al and his kick ass mic stand :)

I thought that was a joke!

But yeah it was cool to see Al move around more and in control of himself.

Sutekh
06-23-2012, 11:58 AM
errr absolutely TERRIBLE setlist!

no Stigmata...?! what's the point

I really think 2004 onwards is a different band & in a perfect world there would be a distinction, as it is he just sabotages his setlists - Ministry are patchy but if you put all of their belters together you'd have an amazing concert

Piko
07-29-2012, 10:17 PM
Oh Al...

MINISTRY / PARIS Al Jourgensen Hospitalized
July 27, 2012 PARIS 9:05 pm Ministry Front man Al Jourgensen collapsed on-stage during the live Ministry performance and was rushed to hospital via ambulance where he was examined by numerous physicians and diagnosed to have had a full-system collapse due to extreme dehydration and heat exhaustion intensified by the lack of ventilation on stage at the venue. Doctors confirm via blood tests conducted that Jourgensen’s alcohol blood levels were well below normal and no narcotics were found in his system. As a result, Ministry has cancelled today’s appearance at the L’Etaples France Rock en Stock Festival in order to allow Mr. Jourgensen a few days rest to recuperate and receive additional medical attention in Switzerland. Jourgensen fully intends to complete the remaining shows on the Ministry DeFiBriLlaTouR European leg.
Jourgensen extends his most sincere apologies to his devoted Parisian fans who displayed so much love, respect and concern for him before and after the Ministry show. Says Jourgensen: “I will make it up to you, somehow. I love Paris, I love the Parisian people. I’m so sorry …but, shit happens and the shit hit the fan for me last night.”

http://youtu.be/8D61Knfj1n8

fillow
07-30-2012, 02:14 AM
Probably just run out of booze onstage.

Sutekh
07-30-2012, 07:54 AM
Below normal blood alcohol levels? Normal is none at all, so I don't see how he managed that

Hate to say it, but looks like he could be on his way out. I read an interview where he said he has a guy who limits him to 2 bottles of wine a day. Only being able to bring it down to 2 whole bottles - and having to hire someone to force you to stick to that limit... that's a sorry state. If you're that far gone, quitting is just as likely to kill you as carrying on. He should really, seriously knock it on the head and check into a hospital so they can cushion his system & he can quit safely

Piko
07-30-2012, 08:23 AM
At che point, I don't really see him being around much longer. He's touring, which he can't handle. He's trying to "sing along" to a backing track. He looks terrible. Not healthy at all. Those 13 exploding ulcers were merely the beginning. His brain isn't what it used to be (obviously). I'd be amazed to see him still kicking around by 2015.

Not going to talk about his recent musical output. But, this guy needs to do something. Everything's going downhill for him, fast. Once a junky, Always a junky... and at 50, that shit starts coming back to you.

Look at Peter Steele. All the damage he put on himself and see where that landed him (RIP). There's more examples I'm not thinking of, but you guys get the point.

But maybe Al realizes this. One "final" hurrah. The tattoos and the dozens of piercings on his face. Maybe this is his form of acceptance. Pity to watch someone who was (at one time, if even for a moment) at the top of the world, and came crashing down hard, and still falling.

There's my eulogy in my advance.

Space Suicide
07-30-2012, 11:13 AM
At che point, I don't really see him being around much longer. He's touring, which he can't handle. He's trying to "sing along" to a backing track. He looks terrible. Not healthy at all. Those 13 exploding ulcers were merely the beginning. His brain isn't what it used to be (obviously). I'd be amazed to see him still kicking around by 2015.

Not going to talk about his recent musical output. But, this guy needs to do something. Everything's going downhill for him, fast. Once a junky, Always a junky... and at 50, that shit starts coming back to you.

Look at Peter Steele. All the damage he put on himself and see where that landed him (RIP). There's more examples I'm not thinking of, but you guys get the point.

But maybe Al realizes this. One "final" hurrah. The tattoos and the dozens of piercings on his face. Maybe this is his form of acceptance. Pity to watch someone who was (at one time, if even for a moment) at the top of the world, and came crashing down hard, and still falling.

There's my eulogy in my advance.

Couldn't say it better myself, so I'm quoting you.

SM Rollinger
07-30-2012, 04:36 PM
/\/\ ditto

man, this is really sad, i made the mistake of watching that 99% video this morning before i went to work, but it wasnt near as bad as that ghouldiggers one. just shameless, i feel taken advantage of as a one time fan.

im not suprised by any of these comments, Ministry was my favorite band in high school, the impact that Land of Rape and Honey and Mind is a Terrible... had on me was immense, id say it was what opened me up to this type of industrial rock music! If it wasnt for those albums, i never would have picked up The Downward Spiral at a pawn shop (missing the jacket and booklet, just the jewel case and CD, still have it along with my other copies )

Thankfully the one and only time i got to see Al and Co. was on the Animositysomina tour, so Paul was still on board, and they played nothing but classics. To hear Breathe, Stigmata and So What? live, blew my mind.

I feel like since Paul left, its been nothing but a downhill slide from there. Its a shame too, i could tell that they completed eachother (in a musical sense).

Highly Psychological
07-30-2012, 06:06 PM
That video reminds me of when i saw Johnn Balance in Coil a few months before he died in 2004 as a result of his alcoholism.
He was a fucking mess onstage. Pissed out of his brain, shaking manically, looked like he was homeless, really ill, he was a total nutcase. Morbid gig.

Ex Heroin Addicts usually transfer to alcohol. It just gets worse...

Its up to Al at the end of the day!

Sutekh
07-30-2012, 06:33 PM
Know what you mean... Poor john, he really crashed and burned :( heartworms is an awesome track but so hard to listen to now

sayyosin
07-30-2012, 09:55 PM
For anyone who hasn't watched it, here's the Fix Ministry documentary.

<link to copyrighted material removed> -heroicraptor

Al acts like a retard, does heroin, and fucks a chicken.

DVYDRNS
07-31-2012, 12:57 AM
yea i watched that a couple months ago. i was disgusted by who he was. made my appreciation of ministry go down even more than it already has in the last 10 years.

slave2thewage
07-31-2012, 04:52 AM
Cheers for the Fix link.

Piko
07-31-2012, 08:18 AM
Wait until after the song...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SE8WXLcrFe4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

witte
07-31-2012, 09:02 AM
Silly.
Enjoy this. He'll be gone soon.

danebraddy
07-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Man that last video... if the blood reports are true then... is he just... gone?
It's a sad thing if you make Manson 2012 look like a picture of health...

imail724
07-31-2012, 11:19 AM
Manson looks like a teenager compared to Al.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Space Suicide
07-31-2012, 12:53 PM
He looks absolutely terrible and dreadful.

Sutekh
07-31-2012, 12:58 PM
Can't help but think of winehouse's gig in Serbia, and what that precipitated

doom and gloom aside, does anyone know of any decent ministry concert movies/bootlegs from the 90s? Id love a video of a decent setlist, but as i recall, the sphinctour video is cobbled together from various shows (hate it when bands do that)

NotoriousTIMP
07-31-2012, 02:39 PM
Wow I'm speechless

http://img.tapatalk.com/aefdc03c-448-7075.jpg

NotoriousTIMP
08-05-2012, 11:38 PM
WOW, So I finally got around to watching Fix today and I was left without words by its end. If you haven't had the chance to watch this yet, do yourself a favor and hit up TPB and get it. Its 2 hours of (O_O)

dlb
08-06-2012, 07:43 AM
Got the parts that were uploaded here but missed out on the last one. Are the missing 15 minutes worth getting it somewhere else?

On another note: Al's in town tonight. I'm not going since I already had tickets for Electric Wizard, but I'm curious what my friends will tell me.

Piko
08-06-2012, 07:56 AM
I've yet to see Fix. Not sure what's stopping me. Haven't even heard the Barker stuff that comes with it. I've heard all over that it's very fucked up to watch at times. Eventually I will though.

virushopper
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM
http://youtu.be/GdB7Di-PsYA

Just watch what happens when Al doesn't have samples to back him up during "No W".

Sutekh
08-06-2012, 12:52 PM
Got the parts that were uploaded here but missed out on the last one. Are the missing 15 minutes worth getting it somewhere else?

On another note: Al's in town tonight. I'm not going since I already had tickets for Electric Wizard, but I'm curious what my friends will tell me.

You made the right choice, EW live are at the top of their game, their show in kentish town this year was one of the best concerts I have ever seen

wizfan
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Just watch what happens when Al doesn't have samples to back him up during "No W".

I think I can faintly hear the "trust me" sample. Goddamn, Al is incredibly weak.

Piko
08-06-2012, 06:39 PM
One good thing I can say is that i'm enjoying Saccia's solos are the RGB songs (which were mostly Victor). The guy's a monster and highly underrated.

Space Suicide
08-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I love Rio Grande Blood, always have. Even for the new Ministry post Animositisomina.

Piko
08-06-2012, 09:25 PM
Post-2004 albums just got repetitive. Recycled albums and songs. I liked about half of RGB and half of The Last Sucker. Some songs are pretty cool, some are OK, and most are just mediocre. Relapse is easily the worst of the lot.

acidpolly
08-11-2012, 04:21 AM
going to see Ministry tonight, they play in Moscow for the first time ever. after reading this thread I feel a bit horrified to be honest :) hope it won't suck... that much.

NotoriousTIMP
08-12-2012, 02:21 AM
going to see Ministry tonight, they play in Moscow for the first time ever. after reading this thread I feel a bit horrified to be honest :) hope it won't suck... that much.

Soooo, how much of a train wreck was Al? Lol

acidpolly
08-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Soooo, how much of a train wreck was Al? Lol
actually after reading all this I expected much much worth :) like my friends who saw Ministry about 10 times since 2008 said it wasn't as good as back then but "he stood straight for 1.5 hours - that is an achievement already!" Al was in a good mood, talking to the audience, asking for a smoke etc. setlist wasn't different from other recent shows though. and 1.5 hours (including 2 encores) is not too long for me but I am spoiled by the shows of sober / straight edge guys who can go on forever haha

Hazekiah
09-04-2012, 10:12 PM
New/old Ministry!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsvyBiFA-fI&amp;feature=player_embedded

Uploaded by thermate detonator (http://www.youtube.com/user/thermatedetonator) on Feb 2, 2012

Same Old Madness - Unreleased single and video from 1982. Originally intended to be a single in the spring of 82. Video was shot before Al signed to Arista. I remastered the audio in attempting to get highest quality version of this video out there. From my personal VHS archive of rare Goth & Industrial music videos and live performances. Archived and circulated through years VHS tape trading and Video collecting.

DVYDRNS
09-04-2012, 10:57 PM
wow. i used to DJ with Nelson. (thermal detonator) havent seen him in years... i should call him up...

Highly Psychological
09-04-2012, 11:35 PM
I actually really like that Same Old Madness tune, I never found the With Sympathy album embarrassing or anything its just not very good.
I have always dismissed the Synth Pop Ministry, but that song proves they did have something there in that field.
Twich was what it was all about and where itreally started, but i reckon they could have been an awesome synth group too if things had been easier with record labels and stuff.

Piko
09-04-2012, 11:42 PM
I actually really like that Same Old Madness tune, I never found the With Sympathy album embarrassing or anything its just not very good.
I have always dismissed the Synth Pop Ministry, but that song proves they did have something there in that field.
Twich was what it was all about and where itreally started, but i reckon they could have been an awesome synth group too if things had been easier with record labels and stuff.

There's some stuff that didn't make the album that might actually be better. Same Old Madness being a prime example. They mostly played those other songs live, but never recorded them..

NotoriousTIMP
09-05-2012, 12:57 AM
Damn, I really dig that tune....

frankie teardrop
09-05-2012, 10:17 AM
yeah, 'same old madness' is a staple track to dj at the wierd party in new york. if i don't play it, usually the guest djs do. the second half of with sympathy falls apart, but 'revenge,' 'i wanted to tell her,' and 'effigy' are all prime for the dancefloor, too.

fillow
09-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I love With Sympathy, it's on my top 3 Ministry albums (along with Animositisomina and DSOTS). What He Say is my most played Ministry song this summer.

Piko
09-05-2012, 11:28 AM
I Wanted To Tell Her is one I hum randomly from time to time.

imail724
10-01-2012, 03:31 PM
Just found out this exists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwMmwppLh4

This is what the Buck Satan album SHOULD have been

Space Suicide
10-01-2012, 04:00 PM
With Jourgensen and Ministry, there's a lot of 'Should Have Beens'

Piko
10-01-2012, 07:43 PM
Al's too "tough" to make a legitimate country album. He's the "godfather of industrial". And is it really that difficult to just have a studio drummer? Cost effective, maybe. But, the drum programming since 08 has been fucking terrible. The older albums had live drums and sounded amazing. HOTM even had live drums. Whoever told Al that the current drum programming was a good idea should be taken out back and shot.

Senateguard33
10-07-2012, 03:20 PM
I like With Sympathy, but it is a watered down, radio friendly version of early 80s Ministry. Al's original vision of the band was two different projects: The Ministry Of Funk and The Ministry of Fear. The first was the dancy/funky/love type songs, while the latter was dancy/darker stuff. If you listen to the original 12" (I'm Falling/Cold Life/Primental) it's very evident. Some of the songs on With Sympathy were edited down (both musically and lyricly) from their original versions. The versions played live were more in the style of the Wax Trax material...5-7 minute long songs.

It's a shame that With Sympathy holds the spotlight for that era of Ministry. Here is a list of songs that Arista simply did not want to release, and if you listen to these songs, you will understand why Al dislikes With Sympathy so much.

1. I'm Falling
2. Cold Life
3. Primental (This was re-worked into I Wanted To Tell Her, but this is how the song was supposed to be)
4. Funkamental
5. Overkill
6. Dancing Alone
7. Le Stupide
8. Knowledge
9. Same Old Madness
10. Never Asked For Nothing
11. What Is The Reason
12. Love Change
13. America (a political bashing song WAY before the recent Ministry albums)
14. So So Life
15. Wait

There also was supposed to be second album for Arista. Some of the material was stuff that was later released on Wax Trax and Twitch, but were rejected. Two songs "Let's Be Happy" and "The Game Is Over" were recorded (in similar fashion to With Sympathy, which is what the label wanted) but were also rejected and Al threw up his hands and sewed to get off the label and went back to Wax Trax.

What's really funny is the song "Here We Go", which was on With Sympathy is a song about Al's horrible experience with the label. They must have not understood it's message, lol. Most of the songs on the album were in fact written by Al (and his band at the time), but again, they don't have the energy and rawness of the live versions. A few songs were written at the demand of the label (What He Say, Say You're Sorry, Should Have Known Better) but it is unclear how much input the label and "other producers" had on these songs.

NotoriousTIMP
10-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Is there any good live recordings for early ministry? I'd be interested in hearing the raw live versions

Senateguard33
10-07-2012, 06:09 PM
Here is a good place to start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz6wwgIY1Lo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh8ntIcW8cg

fillow
10-08-2012, 02:55 AM
I believe there is an entire show from WS era in proshot quality in circulation, but unfortunately it's currently sourced from high-gen vhs, so quality is not very good. Can't link to it right now since Youtube is banned at my work (duh)

frankie teardrop
10-08-2012, 09:45 AM
'i'm falling' and 'same old madness' are dj staples. have those other tracks seen a proper release, or are they only circulating in demo form?

Senateguard33
10-08-2012, 11:08 AM
'i'm falling' and 'same old madness' are dj staples. have those other tracks seen a proper release, or are they only circulating in demo form?

"Wait" is an actual studio demo, but the others are from live bootlegs.

Maximilian
10-09-2012, 06:46 AM
I love this one, too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cz6wwgIY1Lo

fillow
10-10-2012, 04:22 PM
I desperately need someone to recommend me music similar to WS.

frankie teardrop
10-10-2012, 04:30 PM
check here!
http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/944-Synthpop-Italo-etc?highlight=synthpop+italo

wizfan
10-10-2012, 04:32 PM
Depeche Mode, Devo and Pet Shop Boys should be good enough for you.

Senateguard33
10-10-2012, 04:57 PM
You also might want to check out Roxy Music and Fad Gadget, Al said they were huge influences and he even covered a song from each :)

wizfan
10-10-2012, 05:02 PM
How about Soft Cell and Gary muthafuckin' Numan?

Piko
10-10-2012, 09:53 PM
The The. You can see some definite influences on Soul Mining (amazing album, btw!). Never heard Fad Gadget before, but i've heard there's influences. Jourgensen, back when he was talking about his solo album, he tried referring the material to Fad Gadget and The The. Of course, though, none of the two songs sounded anything like The The, and I could only imagine the same for Fad Gadget.

frankie teardrop
10-11-2012, 12:56 PM
i still stand by checking out/reviving/contributing to the synthpop thread linked above-- plenty of great things that are probably discussed better there. but yes, fad gadget are incredible and are probably the best recommendation here. a little sampler list of songs to get you started:

back to nature
lady shave
love parasite
coitus interruptus
for whom the bells toll
under the flag II

invoking frank tovey in the collapsing new people video was one of my favorite halloween costumes...pretty sure i tweeted 'lady shave' to TR when he was calling for cover suggestions on the NIN/JA tour.

thefragile_jake
10-29-2012, 11:53 PM
My god, those new songs and videos are so laughably bad....

SM Rollinger
10-30-2012, 11:26 AM
wow that revenge clip was awesome, its been years since ive listened to anything older than twitch.

Senateguard33
10-30-2012, 07:21 PM
Revenge is one of the best Ministry songs. Rumor has it that Al has a wall filled with tapes of unreleased material, and he is considering an Early Trax II. :)

DVYDRNS
10-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Of course he is. 👾🔫

koz-ivan
11-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Just found out this exists

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGwMmwppLh4

This is what the Buck Satan album SHOULD have been

there are a few of the bridge school tracks on itunes, (friend of the devil, paisley, here they come)

that being said, i kinda like the buck satan record as is, it's not the "real" country album al had been promising / threatening to make for years, and it's got the ministry sound to it, but it's more fun than the recent ministry / revco productions.

imail724
11-06-2012, 08:55 AM
I had to turn that piece of shit album off after the twentieth "COME ON, MIKEY!"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

NotoriousTIMP
11-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Anyone in here a Ministry collector? I've got a few questions for someone who knows the discography pretty well

DVYDRNS
11-19-2012, 01:04 AM
I know it pretty well

Senateguard33
11-27-2012, 06:19 PM
I collect Ministry. What's your question?

imail724
12-01-2012, 12:23 PM
Re-listened to Ministry's discog recently and now I'm wondering, am I alone in thinking Houses of the Mole is actually a really solid album? It's post-Barker, but still pre-letsplayeveryinstrumentasfastasfuckingpossible. Worm, World, WTV, WKYJ, all kickass songs.

Piko
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
HOTM is a great album. Kinda fell apart after that though.

koz-ivan
12-04-2012, 08:31 AM
HOTM is a great album. Kinda fell apart after that though.

calling hotm a "great" album is probably overstatement, but it was a good album, and better than anything that followed it.

for great ministry albums i'm thinking: land of rape & honey, Mind is a terrible thing to taste, psalm 69, twitch. i really like with sympathy too, but it's different

houses of the mole just doesn't make that cut, but i'd group it with some other solid records:

mole, flith pig, dark side of the spoon.

Space Suicide
12-04-2012, 08:38 AM
Re-listened to Ministry's discog recently and now I'm wondering, am I alone in thinking Houses of the Mole is actually a really solid album? It's post-Barker, but still pre-letsplayeveryinstrumentasfastasfuckingpossible. Worm, World, WTV, WKYJ, all kickass songs.

Yeah it's good. Jourgensen's head wasn't up his ass yet at that point.

Piko
12-04-2012, 08:53 AM
calling hotm a "great" album is probably overstatement, but it was a good album, and better than anything that followed it.

for great ministry albums i'm thinking: land of rape & honey, Mind is a terrible thing to taste, psalm 69, twitch. i really like with sympathy too, but it's different

houses of the mole just doesn't make that cut, but i'd group it with some other solid records:

mole, flith pig, dark side of the spoon.

Im not comparing it to those albums. Never will. 86-92 was his prime (revco, lard, etc.) depending on who you ask. HOTM was the last album I can say I fully enjoyed. And personally, I think Psalm 69 is kinda overrated. I'd rate Filth Pig over it.

Senateguard33
12-04-2012, 05:20 PM
For me the decline started with Animostisomina. That album doesn't really stand out like the ones before. I enjoyed several songs from the Bush trilogy, but alot of it blurs together, the sound is pretty much the same. I did enjoy the remix albums better than the proper releases. Relapse is my favorite post-Dark Side album.
Here is how I would rank the albums:
1. The Land Of Rape and Honey
2. Twitch
3. With Sympathy/Wax Trax era
4. The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste
5. Filth Pig
6. Psalm 69
7. Relapse
8. Dark Side Of The Spoon
9. Houses Of The Mole
10. Animositisomina
11. The Last Sucker
12. Rio Grande Blood

Space Suicide
12-04-2012, 06:15 PM
For me the decline started with Animostisomina. That album doesn't really stand out like the ones before. I enjoyed several songs from the Bush trilogy, but alot of it blurs together, the sound is pretty much the same. I did enjoy the remix albums better than the proper releases. Relapse is my favorite post-Dark Side album.
Here is how I would rank the albums:
1. The Land Of Rape and Honey
2. Twitch
3. With Sympathy/Wax Trax era
4. The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste
5. Filth Pig
6. Psalm 69
7. Relapse
8. Dark Side Of The Spoon
9. Houses Of The Mole
10. Animositisomina
11. The Last Sucker
12. Rio Grande Blood

I found Relapse the weakest album he's ever made under the Ministry moniker.

My listing would be something like this:

The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste
With Sympathy
Filth Pig
Psalm 69
Twitch
The Land Of Rape and Honey
Rio Grande Blood
Houses of the Mole
Darkside of the Spoon
The Last Sucker
Animositisomina
Relapse

Piko
12-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Relapse is easily the worst thing Jourgensen has ever done. Period. Nu-Revco AND Buck Satan were even better, entirely (I have plenty of criticisms for those).

LORAH
Twitch
Mind
Filth Pig
Psalm 69
DSOTS
HOTM
Animositisomnia
With Sympathy
Rio Grande Blood
The Last Sucker
Relapse

MrsMeowMeow
12-05-2012, 07:27 AM
my list would be something like this:
Land of rape and honey
The mind is a terrible thing to taste
Twitch
Psalm 69
Filth Pig
Dark Side of the Spoon
Rio Grande Blood
Houses of the mole
Animositisomnia
With Sympathy
Relapse
The last Sucker

fillow
12-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Dark Side
Animositisomina
With Sympathy
Twitch
Filth Pig
LORAH
Mind
Houses
Psalm
RGB
Last Sucker
Cover Up
Undercover

Relapse is unranked since I actually haven't listened to it even once. This is just a snapshot, everything above RGB can be shuffled in unpredictable order as soon as next month.

Swykk
12-05-2012, 08:58 AM
For me:
The Mind Is A Terrible Thing To Taste
Psalm 69
Filth Pig
Rio Grande Blood
Twitch
The Land Of Rape And Honey
Houses Of The Mole
Animositosomina
With Sympathy
The Dark Side Of The Spoon
The Last Sucker

Highly Psychological
12-05-2012, 11:53 AM
I keep going back to Filth Pig the most, probably their darkest album, it feels the heaviest even though it is not, their new stuff is ridiculously heavy, but it has no depth or substance and just comes across and pantomine and oddly camp. Filth Pig feels foreboding, bleak, powerful,the subject matter was Al's spiraling Heroin addiction, and the album bludgeons you into getting a taste of what that world is like! Would be the perfect soundtrack to Requiem for A Dream, the production is mind blowing, the guitars sound like Godflesh and the song structures are a lot like 1980s era Swans.

I also like Dark Side of the Spoon a lot too, if Filth Pig was the Heroin album this was the Lunatic Asylum one. I like the Jazzy elements and the bizarre instruments, its so experimental it almost does not sound like a metal record at all. Almost No Wave in parts. Easy to see why it alienated people, Whip and Chain and Bad Blood are some of their best tracks ever. Paul Barker is a genius.
Probably listened to these two albums more than those of their so called classic era.