12-05-2012, 05:08 PM
yes.
NotoriousTIMP

DVYDRNS
12-05-2012, 05:30 PM
listen to Dead Guy. and Win.

Piko
12-05-2012, 05:41 PM
I keep going back to Filth Pig the most, probably their darkest album, it feels the heaviest even though it is not, their new stuff is ridiculously heavy, but it has no depth or substance and just comes across and pantomine and oddly camp. Filth Pig feels foreboding, bleak, powerful,the subject matter was Al's spiraling Heroin addiction, and the album bludgeons you into getting a taste of what that world is like! Would be the perfect soundtrack to Requiem for A Dream, the production is mind blowing, the guitars sound like Godflesh and the song structures are a lot like 1980s era Swans.

I also like Dark Side of the Spoon a lot too, if Filth Pig was the Heroin album this was the Lunatic Asylum one. I like the Jazzy elements and the bizarre instruments, its so experimental it almost does not sound like a metal record at all. Almost No Wave in parts. Easy to see why it alienated people, Whip and Chain and Bad Blood are some of their best tracks ever. Paul Barker is a genius.
Probably listened to these two albums more than those of their so called classic era.

This. Couldn't have summed it up better. Easily, one of the darkest and most depressing albums you'll ever hear. Spoon is when his addiction spiraled so out of control, it was chaotic and insane. He claims to not even remember the production of the album. That's how far gone he was, and it showed. The jazz parts were insane, but amazing. 10/10 is easily a huge favorite of mine. Eureka Pile as well. Those two albums caught a lot of flack when they were released, but I'm sure plenty have changed their minds. Might go give Filth Pig a listen now.

Space Suicide
12-05-2012, 06:29 PM
Filth Pig is a great album I can always turn on and tune out everything else around me. It has a steep soundscape that's truly immense that is pretty dulled down by the attention of the guitar tones and overall background shit going on. The sounds are incredible in the soundscapes, especially the title track. Crumbs is one of my favorite tracks by Ministry, nothing they're ever done grabs my attention more than that opening few guitar riffs on that track. jfhjkgjkdghjkldfnjklfhdkj!

I agree with two posts up upon the Paul Barker paraise. He was definitely the meat to the musical side of Ministry, Al was the lyrics. Now Ministry is all for lyrics and dull music and the sad thing is the lyrics lack too.

Paul Barker and Flowering Blight are easily better material givers in every aspect since the dissolution of Al and Paul's relationship around 2004 and what Ministry has put out.

Never could get into Dark Side. The album is just...I can't describe it. It never grabs my attention and I just find the subject matter in most of the songs as forgettable. In my years as a Ministry fan (since around 2005) I've never found that album all too deserving my attention. Any recommendations of what could help me like it more?

Edit:

Also miss this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNHiYk2_DSg

Piko
12-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Useless might be my favorite off that album. Its one of those albums that I can actually enjoy from beginning to end without a hitch. And is it wrong of me to enjoy the ministry version of Lay Lady Lay more than the original?

Space Suicide
12-05-2012, 07:29 PM
And is it wrong of me to enjoy the ministry version of Lay Lady Lay more than the original?

Nah and I might get flak for this but just about every band that's ever covered Bob Dylan has performed his song better than he has.

Senateguard33
12-05-2012, 07:40 PM
Filth Pig is awesome because it reminds me of the early 80s Ministry. Even the songs have a similar arrangement. Instead of clean vocals and the synths in the foreground, it is the opposite. It's like a Doomsday version of their roots. Love it. Also, imagine how Brick Windows, Crumbs and Lava would sound with all synths..it would be funktastic! lol.

voidnz
12-05-2012, 08:12 PM
Of the ones i've heard, haven't got Twitch, With Sympathy or Houses of the Mole:

The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
Land of Rape and Honey
Filth Pig
Psalm 69
Dark Side of the Spoon
The Last Sucker
Animosisomina
Relapse
Rio Grande Blood

imail724
12-05-2012, 10:25 PM
TLORAH
TMISTTTT
Psalm 69
Filth Pig
HOTM
Twitch
DSOTS
Animositisomina
TLS
RGB
WS
Relapse

Sutekh
12-15-2012, 05:19 PM
Filth Pig is great, kudos to them for not just doing another Psalm 69. It's an entertaining and mildly challenging industrial rock album. It has the same sort of feel as Big Black's Songs about Fucking & Godflesh's Streetcleaner (sort of sparse, desperate & unclean sounding), and seems quite seperate to the rest of their stuff.

For me, Land of Rape & Honey, Filth Pig & Psalm 69 are their only stone cold classic albums (although Psalm has some crap on it... really not into NWO, lame metal bollocks, foreshadows what they ended up as). The rest always average one or two excellent songs, but the feel is too different. In particular the bush trilogy... I love thrash and whatnot but It's not what I want when I reach for Ministry, and I find it odd he could go from doing what he used to do, to doing that sort of stuff & not be massively frustrated

That old REVCO live video is probably my favourite thing he's been involved in though... I could watch that performance of Attack Ships on Fire all day. Never quite understood why he rugby tackles that dancer though (love those dancers btw)

Saw Fix recently... pretty terrifying. That bit where he shoots up and starts sweating & rambling into the camera... It's almost more frightening than seeing a down & out, thoroughly repentant junkie

sayyosin
12-15-2012, 05:48 PM
The Mind is a Terrible Thing to Taste
The Land of Rape and Honey
Twitch
Psalm 69
Filth Pig
With Sympathy
Dark Side of the Spoon
Houses of the Molé
Animositisomina
Rio Grande Blood
The Last Sucker
Relapse

MrsMeowMeow
12-23-2012, 08:05 AM
http://www.classicrockmagazine.com/news/ministry-guitarist-mike-scaccia-dead-at-47/
RIP Mike Scaccia :(

Maximilian
12-23-2012, 08:49 AM
WHAT?

RIP man, too young.

virushopper
12-23-2012, 10:21 AM
RIP Mikey.

DVYDRNS
12-23-2012, 11:23 AM
Such a shame.

Senateguard33
12-23-2012, 11:55 AM
That sucks :( That makes the second Ministry member to have passed away, the first being John Davis (part of the original lineup). :(

Maximilian
12-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Well, there was Jeff Ward, too. Don't know if he'd be considered a member, but he definitely did stuff.

Piko
12-23-2012, 12:08 PM
And also Paul Raven. Saccia was easily one of the most underrated guitarists, ever. And easily one of my top favorite guitarists. Way too young to go...

DVYDRNS
12-23-2012, 12:55 PM
drugs are bad mmkay kids?

Conan The Barbarian
12-23-2012, 01:17 PM
Wasn't he clean?

DVYDRNS
12-23-2012, 01:27 PM
yea. but decades of hard abuse lead to things like this happening. it weakens your heart. and just about everything else.

Piko
12-23-2012, 01:39 PM
He was clean for quite awhile. But like Joymode said, a lot of damage was done. Surprising Al is still kicking. I'd bet Al has consumed much, much more. Today's pretty much going to be a ministry day. For Mikey!

Senateguard33
12-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Al is perpetually 18 years old, that is how he manages to stay healthy. He is always joking and jumping off the walls like he just had his first cup of coffee. I admire him for that. He's had some close calls, so I'm glad he got clean.

Piko
12-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Apparently, Mikey might have had a heart disease that may have been the cause of it.

wizfan
01-03-2013, 10:25 PM
Just listened to "Ghouldiggers". Oh, fuck. It's so unbelievably corny. I can't stomach the fact that Ministry has sunk to such low levels of self-parody. I thought it couldn't be worse than that Greatest Tricks "anthology". Not sure if I want to listen to the rest of Relapse.

virushopper
01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
I only like "Double Tap" from that album.

DVYDRNS
01-03-2013, 10:50 PM
I havent even listened to one track from the album. I couldnt get past the cover.

Space Suicide
01-04-2013, 12:18 AM
I havent even listened to one track from the album. I couldnt get past the cover.

Not missing much at all. 99% is about the only decent thing on it, even though the video is almost as shitty as the cover and the lyrics are as intelligenty written as a 15 year old mad about the Election.

Sutekh
01-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Recently watched "in case you didnt feel like showing up" - wow, amazing.

Then i watched adios puta madres from 2008... Fuck me, post barker ministry is boring. I love metal but what the fuck? Proper meathead music. Its like they realised that if you make music that boneheads can mosh to, youll keep getting booked to play festivals. I just dont see how he cannot be massively bored playing such shit.

Also was that supposed to be their last show? What a shit setlist! No stigmata, no land of rape and honey, nothing from filth pig, no bad blood... What the fuck??? So strange when bands dont seem to know what their good songs are. Its worth saying one more time... No stigmata?!

really dont get why people stick up for houses of the mole... It's wank. Compare it to dark side of the spoon... Not the same band.

so hard to believe its the same guy from the revolting cocks live video.

does anyone know why chris connelly left?

Piko
01-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Connelly left because he just got tired of it; Al, and he eventually got tired of the music and genre, his solo music being a prime example of that.

And I like HOTM. I like Spoon more, but that doesn't mean anything bad about Molé. Its essentially two different bands there except for Washem and Al. I don't normally like to compare things when a band has such a major change in lineup. I view ministry as a few different bands: pre-barker, cocks era (connelly, rieflin, etc), 96-03 (Svitek, washem, etc), and Post-Barker.

HOTM being the more solid of the four since Barker left.

DVYDRNS
01-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Read Connelly's Book.

Its a great read. Much more enjoyable than that fixx documentary that I forced myself to sit through.

Sutekh
01-04-2013, 11:25 AM
Yes I've had my eye on that... Definitely something I'll treat myself to. Really impressed with CC's performances on those 2 live videos (esp. Cattle grind)
Plus he looks like dylan moran in that version of so what

Maximilian
01-04-2013, 11:51 AM
Speaking of Chris Connelly, I was just playing this old nugget of goodness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csrvVWouJN8

Piko
01-04-2013, 12:34 PM
read connelly's book.

Its a great read. Much more enjoyable than that fixx documentary that i forced myself to sit through.

unacceptable!!!

DVYDRNS
01-04-2013, 12:43 PM
I guess I just didn't like being forced to sit through watching someone totally self destruct and spew so much BS like it was gospel. I actually lost a LOT of respect for jourgenson after watching that.

I am not surprised Barker jumped ship. And refuses to talk about it. I can only imagine what was NOT caught on film.

Sutekh
01-04-2013, 01:13 PM
But on the upside, because of that movie we got barker's "fix this" album

but yes, listening to junkies philosophise their drug abuse into acceptable terms is like nails on a blackboard

SM Rollinger
01-06-2013, 12:23 AM
I guess I just didn't like being forced to sit through watching someone totally self destruct and spew so much BS like it was gospel. I actually lost a LOT of respect for jourgenson after watching that. .

Thats why ive avoided watching Fix. All ive seen is a youtube snippet where Trent and Dino talk about Supernaut.

On a more positive note, i found this on soundcloud and thought id share

http://soundcloud.com/leepopamusicsound

Enjoy!

DVYDRNS
01-06-2013, 12:38 AM
Yea i caught that there a couple weeks ago. great recording!

Sutekh
01-06-2013, 08:18 AM
In fairness, I watched an interview with al (on some programme with dave navarro) and he does admit he comes across as a moron in fix & was pretty much watching it through his fingers.

never really read any interviews with members of ministry before but been tucking in recently, have to say paul barker comes across as a babbling bore (practically incoherent sometimes) and bill rieflin is just bizarre.

been listening to "houses..." A bit more, perhaps "wank" is a bit strong, but its still too samey compared to the 90s stuff

DVYDRNS
01-06-2013, 10:45 AM
In fairness, I watched an interview with al (on some programme with dave navarro) and he does admit he comes across as a moron in fix & was pretty much watching it through his fingers.

How does he perceive that he comes across now... ?

Senateguard33
01-06-2013, 12:05 PM
I think I'm the only person on the planet that likes the whole catalog. Most "fans" hate anything before The Land of Rape And Honey and anything after Filth Pig. So Basically, they are only fans of the material spanning 1988-1995. I love Relapse. The cover is crappy, but I like it better than the boring Bush trilogy, and the rehashing Animositisomina. Anyways, enough ranting. Ministry is more than just "Stigmata" and "Psalm 69". Just saying.

DVYDRNS
01-06-2013, 12:15 PM
I like everything up through hotm. But it just got terrible after that.

I actually love animositisomina and filth pig and spoon. Favourites are mind twitch rape and 69 era tho.

Thatd be a good name for a ministry cover band. Mind twitch rape.

Piko
01-07-2013, 08:57 AM
I like mostly everything Al did up until 2004. HOTM was the last album that showed any actual variety. Rio Grande Blood and The Last Sucker, as wholes, were total bore-fests. They did have a few good songs though. Good enough, that they might've been better as EPs than full lengths. Most of those songs just screamed out on how rushed they were. Relapse, easily, has to be the most unfocused and rushed. There's a video where he even said that they were trying to reach deadline. Deadlines and Al never worked before, and usually ended up with a rewarding payoff. If he would've spent another few months on those albums, who knows what would have happened.

fillow
01-07-2013, 10:07 AM
So, is Ministry finally over? Did Al ever expressed what happens after Relapse tour?
I know all plans are now subject to change since Mike died, I just wonder if Al spoke of any.

DVYDRNS
01-07-2013, 10:21 AM
Either that or he pulls out some old synths. And says he's going back to his roots.

Because that certainly wasn't him with those chops.

Piko
01-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Ministry should be done. But this is his second final album, so who knows. But with Scaccia's death, maybe. No one probably knows what Al is going to do next. Was supposed to do another Buck Satan, but I don't see that happening now. And I highly doubt he'll go back to electronic music. He might be done for awhile. I doubt its the end for him. But I don't think even Al knows what's next for him at this point.

DVYDRNS
01-07-2013, 10:38 AM
If he continues his self destructive behaviour we won't have to be having discussion much longer.

Sutekh
01-07-2013, 10:41 AM
he hates touring, Scaccia & Raven have died, relapse didn't sell massively & from what I hear he makes a decent crust producing shit bands like Soil (who he hates, apparently). I'm absolutely fucking gutted I never saw them live (esp. as they played 10 minutes from my house in august, I have zero excuse), but my gut feeling is they're done. He's sorted himself out to a certain degree but says when he's touring he hits the sauce, and these days he's trying not to.

I'm not so sure he will drop dead tbh. Apparently he doesn't go out anymore at all & just stays at home. So at this point he's an old man with a toe missing who drinks a bottle of red wine everyday... it's not ideal but that state of affairs is pretty sustainable

DVYDRNS
01-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Addicts don't stay at home and drink 1 bottle of wine a day.

Sutekh
01-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Not trying to be contrarian, but coming from a family of drunks, I can assure you there's lot of room in the pisshead spectrum for variation & a lot of them certainly do.

Also my last lodger never went out but would sit in his room each night and cane 6 tins of beer or a bottle of red wine. Going out and drinking is just too expensive if you're doing it every day, and not every drunk has to drink until there's no money in his account or nothing left in the house, many drink just enough to get the monkey off their back for the evening.

Piko
01-07-2013, 11:35 AM
His albums haven't been selling at all. His label is bleeding money. His current direction is far from lucrative. Only reason I think he brought ministry back this time was to pay off his doctor bills. I don't think he's rolling in the cash flow as much as some want to believe.

DVYDRNS
01-07-2013, 01:02 PM
Boggles the mind that he wouldn't have insurance. But then again... What insurance company would cover him...

Senateguard33
01-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Either that or he pulls out some old synths. And says he's going back to his roots.

Because that certainly wasn't him with those chops.

He said he was doing a solo album, but I haven't heard much about in a couple of years. But he described it as "Pop stuff, like that first album that I fucking hate, but it's pop that I want to do." He did release an EP called Alien Christmas. The music was good, but unfortunately he didn't use his natural singing voice. It's a shame, because the guy can sing. He is also more musically capable than what he's made himself out to be these past 13 years. Al is a cool guy, but he is a poseur. He never was a new romantic, an industrialist and he certainly isn't a butt rock hillbilly. One thing I've always admired about Trent is how much class he has.

Sutekh
01-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Al sings normally on some bridge school benefit thing, and sounded really good (edit - it's on a previous page, derp)

Piko
01-07-2013, 02:39 PM
Boggles the mind that he wouldn't have insurance. But then again... What insurance company would cover him...

Still gotta pay a deductible.

And Al is indeed a very capable musician. What amazes me the most, is how he insists on using that cheap sounding drum machine instead of investing into an actual drummer. He can obviously play the guitar well enough that he didn't really need the other guys. But instead he got guys to play everything for him. That's puzzling.

Sutekh
02-01-2013, 07:53 AM
Bought chris connelly's book on a recommendation from here - excellent book & very funny. Have more or less no more questions about that period!

SM Rollinger
02-16-2013, 10:31 AM
I heard a rumored that a new Ministry album in the works a couple weeks back. Anybody heard anything more about this? IMO if its going to be anything like Relapse, then Al shouldnt even bother. I doubt it though, since his records seem to come in 3s from a musical standpoint. (WS, 12" and Twitch being the classic era. Lorah, Mind and Psalm the Industrial era. Filth Pig, Dsots and Ani the Barker era. and of course we all know about the Bush trilogy...)

On a more positive note Animositisomina turned 10 recently, so i decided to give it a few listen Wow! thats all i can say! There is some seriosuly good stuff on here. Broken, Impossible and Leper stand out as my favorites, and i love Stolen too(any of Barkers solo tracks are great). People give this album alot of flak for having a "tinny" sounding mix, but it doesnt take the human ear more than a couple minutes to adjust to the way something "sounds," and once that happens, i think the mix adds to the discomfort\confrontational atmosphere of the record. Overall, its a great closer to the "Barker" trilogy, and in my eyes, the final "true" Ministry record.

DVYDRNS
02-16-2013, 10:54 AM
animositysomina was a fantastic record. with some great tracks on it for sure. Not sure why records like Mole get more love than Animostiy does.

Space Suicide
02-16-2013, 10:57 AM
animositysomina was a fantastic record. with some great tracks on it for sure. Not sure why records like Mole get more love than Animostiy does.

Namely because it was released at a bad, awkward time between transitions of styles and eras.

Piko
02-16-2013, 08:10 PM
Last great ministry album. It was post-narcotics and pre-alcohism Al. Follows where Spoon left off, less chaos.

And there will probably be another ministry album. From what I gather, Scaccia contributed some before he died. Possibly his last recordings.

thefragile_jake
02-16-2013, 08:18 PM

Agreed.

Haven't listened to Ministry in years but that album is really good, it's before they got all "studio metal" sounding.

SM Rollinger
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
http://youtu.be/v01VqJJuYis

come on al, the puns were old back when dark side came out

Piko
02-27-2013, 08:42 PM
New stuff. Dub?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v01VqJJuYis&feature=em-uploademail

SM Rollinger
02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
lolz, the posts were within a minute of eachother, awesome

Piko
02-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Hah! It happens.

DVYDRNS
02-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Vids are private. What are they?

Piko
02-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Recording sessions for the new album: From Beer to Eternity (no joke). Al and Mikey, mostly. They played a dub song (fake steel drums of course). Then gloated about The Rolling Stones.

DVYDRNS
02-28-2013, 10:26 AM
Ugh

That sounds wonderful....

thefragile_jake
02-28-2013, 11:05 AM
Good lord....

So how do we watch these videos? I take it you have to be a member or something?

Sutekh
02-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Weird, I thought with Scaccia dying he would actually pack it in once and for all

SM Rollinger
03-10-2013, 09:39 AM
The youtube Beer to Eternity vids are un-privatized.

and....
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51VT5OFKaLL.jpg
http://www.amazon.com/Ministry-Lost-Gospels-According-Al-Jourgensen/dp/0306822180/ref=rec_dp_2
(al's memoir/autobio has a release date. im sure ill be picking this one up, but i have a suspicion that hes gonna gloss over the 80s tho...)

Halo Infinity
03-10-2013, 11:48 AM
I hope he doesn't. I'm always curious as to what other thoughts he might have on his pre-The Land of Rape and Honey works along with what other experiences he might've had back then. I'm even pleasantly surprised that he's bothered to even write a book.

Space Suicide
03-10-2013, 11:58 AM
I bet that autobiography touches briefly on anything pre-2003 and mainly focuses on his "recent" struggles from about 2006-2012. Alcoholism abound.

SM Rollinger
03-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Agreeded, post Paul era. :(

Havent been a fan of anything since Houses to be honest. When I was younger, I was all about the LORAH/Mind/Psalm block, industrial all the way. But the last couple years, ive been real into basically anything Land and older. Once I found some of the boots from 1982, it was like rediscovering Ministry all over again.

Man, what I wouldnt give to have Al do a proper "retrospective" tour. Play some of the stuff from the WaxTrax era and freakin' Over the Shoulder. Now its just 60 minutes of thrash karaoke, with 4 "classics" tacked on at the end.

edit: i forgot to include this, courtsey of darkcircleroom folks...
REVOLTING COCKS live! You Goddamn Son of a Bitch , Restored!
(http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2V_3lFRZSAVt6y7v4BctjYMy8FuZnA1X)I ve said this before, but back in the day, Ministry and Revco were basically the same band. With the exception of Chris Connely and various occasional guests.

Sorry to drift off there, but ill probably check out the book regardless. Ive avoided Fix because, as I hear time and time again, "if you want to retain any respect for Al, then dont watch it."

DVYDRNS
03-10-2013, 12:29 PM
Seems to me that Connelly was just as much a part of Ministry as he was REVCO back then... So I would say theyre the same band with the exception of some occasional guests.

SM Rollinger
03-10-2013, 12:32 PM
Ok, i stand corrected! Ministry + Guests = REVCO :)

DVYDRNS
03-10-2013, 12:32 PM
regarding that video. its pathetic to see him drinking beer at this point. the man has a death wish.

kenthebear
03-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Looks like the new Ministry album is coming out sooner rather than later, as the marketing campaign is beginning to start which suggests its complete.

I still haven't listened to Relapse yet.

Space Suicide
03-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Looks like the new Ministry album is coming out sooner rather than later, as the marketing campaign is beginning to start which suggests its complete.

I still haven't listened to Relapse yet.

Don't bother, it's mostly shit.

fillow
03-16-2013, 08:56 AM
I just hope that this is gonna be their fastest and heaviest album yet. Can't wait to not give a shit about it.

Piko
03-16-2013, 10:40 AM
He's pulling out the kitchen sink on this one.

SM Rollinger
03-16-2013, 09:29 PM
its going to be more thrash, isnt it?

Piko
03-16-2013, 09:46 PM
its going to be more thrash, isnt it?

Yeah, probably so.

wizfan
03-17-2013, 01:12 AM
I bet it's gonna have a cover of a popular 60's song as a bonus track. Hell, it may as well become the lead single.

SM Rollinger
03-17-2013, 08:26 PM
So on some positive Ministry news...

Apperently there is a demo tape from 1982 that has surfaced on dime. For those who are into that sort if thing...

My interweb access right now dosent allow me to torrent, so i havent heard them myself. There is a unheard version of Same Old Madness on it, so id grab it if you can.

Conan The Barbarian
03-17-2013, 10:00 PM
I'll download it

Space Suicide
03-17-2013, 10:07 PM
I'll download it

Let us know if it's worth a shit.

Piko
03-17-2013, 10:11 PM
If it weren't FLAC, i'd probably give it a go. But I absolutely loathe FLAC. Great sound quality that's mostly useless on your average player.

NotoriousTIMP
03-18-2013, 01:20 AM
I'm DLing it now as well....

*EDIT*

Oh man, this is good stuff......I wish ministry would have continued with their Synthpop roots rather than go into the thrash metal.....go DL this if you like OLD Ministry

Sutekh
03-18-2013, 05:22 AM
late 80s/early 90s is the best... the synth and thrash book-ends are too generic IMO. The crunchy middle is the point where they aren't trying to sound like other bands

frankie teardrop
03-18-2013, 12:43 PM
except big black or skinny puppy with updated gear. sorry guys, i like early and mid-period ministry, but they never were the most original band in the world.

frankie teardrop
03-18-2013, 12:45 PM
ps- you guys know they have FLAC convertors for those who don't use the format. the demo tape is great. solid quality, very little hiss. the version of 'i wanted to tell her' has the same intro/structure as the 12'' mix. 'same old madness' is indeed a new version, and it rules.

Sutekh
03-18-2013, 01:48 PM
except big black or skinny puppy with updated gear. sorry guys, i like early and mid-period ministry, but they never were the most original band in the world.

I guess what I mean is the synth stuff is definitely trying to be synth & the thrash stuff is similarly limited, whereas in the mid period they were ripping off all sorts of different things rather than going for a wholly generic sound, you can hear unmistakeable bits of big black, PiL, Godflesh, Killing Joke, etc

To put it in crappy cod-poetic terms, they were trying to be so many things at once that they ended up being something slightly different (around the time that live vhs came out, at least). Yep they owe Big Black and PiL and Skinny Puppy, but they aren't straight forward clones & I think it's fair to characterise them as being (circa 1990) fairly unique, if not original

NotoriousTIMP
03-18-2013, 03:29 PM
There is a mega.co.nz link to mp3 versions

frankie teardrop
03-18-2013, 04:59 PM
I guess what I mean is the synth stuff is definitely trying to be synth & the thrash stuff is similarly limited, whereas in the mid period they were ripping off all sorts of different things rather than going for a wholly generic sound, you can hear unmistakeable bits of big black, PiL, Godflesh, Killing Joke, etc

To put it in crappy cod-poetic terms, they were trying to be so many things at once that they ended up being something slightly different (around the time that live vhs came out, at least). Yep they owe Big Black and PiL and Skinny Puppy, but they aren't straight forward clones & I think it's fair to characterise them as being (circa 1990) fairly unique, if not original

yeah, you summed it up here better than i was able to in my limited time (had training all day long and had about three minutes to squeeze off a post about it). you can trace even ministry's most creative path down to a select few artists in a blender.

that said, the songwriting during the synthpop phase is incredible- some of the best of the genre, even if it is highly derivative. that's the world i generally dj in, and there are few songs as well written, gloomy, AND club-friendly as say, 'revenge,' so there's the silver lining on dismissing some of the with sympathy stuff as uninteresting or generic.

SM Rollinger
03-19-2013, 05:58 PM
Wow, I got the torrent and this version if Same Old Madness is, much like Revenge is when compared to early live recordings (like 1982), at a much slower tempo. Regardless, it rules like frankie said. Im digging the extra guitar work through out the song and on the fade at the end. I always laugh when people say guitars dint come into Ministry til LORAH, Al was using them from the genesis!

Speaking of Revnege, its great to hear another version besides the 1982 live and the WS recorded version. Kinda fills in the gaps, if you know what I mean. The main synth hooks is full on vicious on this one!

Ok one last thing, the version of IWTTH, at least to me is much closer to Primental than the WS. Its got a much more live feel to it, the bass line has got more kick to it.

Anyways, this is an awsome find, I love early Ministry. Speaking of wich, does anybody have the full Twitch era rehearsal tape? All i have from it is I See Red, does anyone have the rest of it (or whats in circulation still)?

SM Rollinger
03-20-2013, 04:58 PM
So, it seems like theirs rumors floating around the interweb, about someone who claims to have heard 5 of the 10 new Ministry tracks, and says that Al has "returned to form" so to speak. Mentions mid paced stuff, with samples, industrial noise and actual melodies! Far far removed from the thrash of the last 4 discs.

If this proves to be true, Al might just see some of my hard earned $$$.

wizfan
03-20-2013, 05:01 PM
That's good news. I'll only be truly relieved if Paul Barker listens to it and gives it a positive review, though. Never too late for a reunion, right?

Sutekh
03-20-2013, 05:29 PM
Chris Connely has a David Bowie tribute band with Shirley out of Garbage

and that's a fact

frankie teardrop
03-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Chris Connely has a David Bowie tribute band with Shirley out of Garbage

and that's a fact

i saw a few clips of that on youtube... was very impressed! connely nailed a lot of the mid-period soul/station to station numbers beautifully, and shirley was as charming and as forgetful on lyrics as always, but a hell of a performer.

ps- just found this and it's blowing my mind a bit:

Yes, we`re rational people. But we are also really sensitive artists who have a lot of pain to express.`` Most of it is Mann`s. For the songs on Voices Carry, she excerpted chapters from her own troubled love life, dwelling on the heartaches and heartbreakers. No More Crying, for example, ``is about Al Jourgensen (keyboard player with the synth-pop band Ministry) and nothing else,`` Mann says.

hush hush. keep it down now.

fillow
03-21-2013, 04:59 AM
So, it seems like theirs rumors floating around the interweb, about someone who claims to have heard 5 of the 10 new Ministry tracks, and says that Al has "returned to form" so to speak. Mentions mid paced stuff, with samples, industrial noise and actual melodies! Far far removed from the thrash of the last 4 discs.

If this proves to be true, Al might just see some of my hard earned $$$.

Did the said 5 tracks featured that godawful drum machine from the past few records?

SM Rollinger
03-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Did the said 5 tracks featured that godawful drum machine from the past few records?
Supposedly, Mikey, Sin and basically the live band for relapse, played live drums for this one.

Man, i hope this turns out to be true.

Piko
03-21-2013, 08:56 AM
He didn't call it a return to form. Just said it was a change in direction from Relapse. More keyboards, etc. The guy made it clear on that, heh.

Sutekh
03-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Apparently Alt model Ulorin Vex is on the cover of the next album

kenthebear
03-21-2013, 06:03 PM
As is model Melissa Kimbro, or you may know her as Zoe Voss if you're a lonely wanker like myself

e: 'wanker' pun genuinely not intended

virushopper
03-28-2013, 12:00 AM
It's the last album again,

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/ministrys-last-stand-brings-al-jourgensen-from-beer-to-eternity

Reaps
03-28-2013, 04:27 AM
So the last track on the last album is a Depeche Mode cover?? Please don't.

fillow
03-28-2013, 04:44 AM
Wait, there won't be a new remix album?? I was totally expecting RelaXXX before the new stuff.

Sutekh
03-28-2013, 05:36 AM
"rom Beer to Eternity is scheduled for release in September, but there will be no tour. "

ah bollocks

SM Rollinger
03-28-2013, 06:51 AM
It's the last album again,

http://noisey.vice.com/blog/ministrys-last-stand-brings-al-jourgensen-from-beer-to-eternity

Dysentary in Paris, eh? I thought Al was just trashed and exhausted. Ok, whatever....

Space Suicide
03-28-2013, 10:59 AM
So the last track on the last album is a Depeche Mode cover?? Please don't.

Ironically funny because after this album I'll enjoy the silence of no more Ministry albums.

https://twimg0-a.akamaihd.net/profile_images/2312704942/Troll_Face.jpg

Piko
03-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Dysentary in Paris, eh? I thought Al was just trashed and exhausted. Ok, whatever....

Must be an odd form. Because there was a video floating around with his wife bribing him with wine to get on the tour bus. So yeah, it had to have been dysentery, without a doubt.

SM Rollinger
03-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Pirate approach? Steralize the body with booze?

But seriously, you can still find pix from this show online, and Al is waaaaaaaaassssssted

Piko
03-28-2013, 05:07 PM
I believe that he was dehydrated. Drinking booze and no water could do that to a fella.

konkelo
03-30-2013, 09:22 AM
I don't really have any expectations about that album but the thing that they are using a live drummer on this one sounds like a good thing. We don't have to be hearing the same drum machine again that has been on Last Sucker and Relapse :D Relapse to me was quite a dissapointment but there were some good tunes on it. For example 99 Percenters isn't as bad as everyone is saying. It didn't work that well live though; the riff was played somehow different and the drummer was playing the beat to a floortom instead of cymbals. Didn't sound so good. And Al was lazy to sing the 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 part completely.

SM Rollinger
04-13-2013, 11:55 AM
http://youtu.be/PHJZLbBeWK4

This looks like it might be a lower gen then the version that has been out there for years. Thoughts?

This guy has a shit-ton of Ministry videos from all eras, check em out.

exilajei
04-13-2013, 03:26 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/44823_556818104339468_1394114059_n.jpg

Kind of puts things into perspective when he legit looks older than his dad.

Space Suicide
04-13-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm not going to lie, I LOL'd at this photo.

NotoriousTIMP
04-13-2013, 09:21 PM
http://youtu.be/PHJZLbBeWK4

This looks like it might be a lower gen then the version that has been out there for years. Thoughts?

This guy has a shit-ton of Ministry videos from all eras, check em out.

Man, going from the show in July of '83 to December of '84, you see a HUGE transformation with the band's appearance.

andre78
06-06-2013, 02:01 PM
Amid all the excitement about NIN's new song being released in this very day, I just found out that this radio show called Awkward, from Los Angeles' TradioV ( http://tradiov.com/la/videoscategory/awkward/ ), is claiming on twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/destinpfaff/status/342680782185308160) that they'll debut a new Ministry song today too.

Piko
06-06-2013, 03:13 PM
Meh. Just listen to Relapse. Same thing probably.

imail724
06-07-2013, 12:37 PM
So according to that same guy on twitter, they premiered a new song called Permawar. I don't know why I even care, but did anyone catch it?

skip niklas
06-12-2013, 03:04 AM
Anyone heard it yet?

Highly Psychological
06-29-2013, 11:26 PM
Was listening to the Flowering Blight and came across this, missed this B side on the Lay Lady Lay single from Filth Pig era.
Like the type of heavy atmosphere of this period.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jOr0aFFf9z4

SM Rollinger
06-30-2013, 12:12 AM
Lol, i knew what song you were talking about before the youtube video loaded, and was going to comment that mine is on my copy of Escape fron LA. But yeah, Paisley is a killer track! The live versions from the Bridge School Benifit are sweet too, and id reccomend getting them if you havent already.

But what I really want to know, is where can I find this new track?!? People over on prongs are talking about it already and im not having any luck thru the regular channels.

thefragile_jake
06-30-2013, 01:18 AM
For anyone that was interested/curious as to what new material from the band sounded like...here's a video of a photoshoot with what I BELIEVE is a new track on it...?

Sounds like the same Ministry record that's been coming out a decade now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DoYRlvu3JqM#at=11

also...lololololol

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/7313_583561711665107_488128812_n.jpg

thefragile_jake
06-30-2013, 01:26 AM
EVEN MORE LULZ

This EPK for the new live DVD has some unintentional hilarious quotes in it...

http://youtu.be/G82HAmJfzfQ

SM Rollinger
06-30-2013, 01:32 AM
Well that songs not so bad, actual real drums for once and a nice mid-tempo. I still dont get the cookie monster vocals though, I mean look at the last 3 albums with Paul, Al can clearly sing and dint have a problem coming up with different vocal styles and effects.

And i think the goth floozies are compleatly unnecessary, this isnt a Cradle of Filth album. Isnt this getting distrubited by Cleopatra though? They have a track record for crap like this.

Anyways, im sure there will be at least 4 or 5 good tracks on this one. Seems to be about the par since 2004ish.

Hell, all i can think of are No W, Lieslieslies, The Great Satan and Lets Go. So maybe not so much :(

Prettybrokenspiral
06-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Ministry 1982-1992: awesome

Ministry post-1992: fucking awful

Maximilian
06-30-2013, 08:38 AM
Ministry 1982-1992: awesome

Ministry post-1992: fucking awful

Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

staleincense
06-30-2013, 08:47 AM
also...lololololol

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/7313_583561711665107_488128812_n.jpg
oh my sweet dear lord what even is this

Space Suicide
06-30-2013, 08:53 AM
This recent two covers ARE SOOOOOOOOOOOO fucking badly done and generic metal it's not even funny. This one is photoshopped to hell and back that a lot of the actual people in it look fake as hell.

I stopped liking the band after The Last Sucker. He should've quit when he intended to then. Relapse was garbage and this will be too.

fillow
07-01-2013, 04:07 AM
If you'd say 2003 instead of 1992, then yes.

imail724
07-02-2013, 12:58 AM
I wish Paul Barker had more solo albums, or albums that feature him on lead vocals. Anyone know anyway to follow what he's been up to lately? A twitter or facebook or anything? Would kill for a follow-up Flowering Blight album.

Sutekh
07-02-2013, 07:09 AM
I think conventional wisdom holds that Filth Pig is either the last good album or the first bad one. 92 is too early and 2003 is far too late (animositisomina is not a classic album and neither is dark side or houses). For the record I think Filth Pig > Psalm 69. Psalm has some great tracks but it was the beginning of that moronic industrial metal sound that polluted the airwaves and eventually rendered ministry redundant

That is a pretty godawful album cover... say no more!

Piko
07-02-2013, 08:51 AM
Personally, I love Filth Pig and Spoon. Infact, I can say I enjoy Filth Pig more than Psalm 69. Animositisomia is a decent album, nothing mind blowing, but it what it intended to do (a more straight forward follow up).

As for Barker. He pops up every now and then. Plays with the Cocks on special occasions. That's about it. I'd love to hear another album from him though.

staleincense
07-02-2013, 11:09 AM
I think conventional wisdom holds that Filth Pig is either the last good album or the first bad one. 92 is too early and 2003 is far too late (animositisomina is not a classic album and neither is dark side or houses). For the record I think Filth Pig > Psalm 69. Psalm has some great tracks but it was the beginning of that moronic industrial metal sound that polluted the airwaves and eventually rendered ministry redundant

That is a pretty godawful album cover... say no more!
Yeah, you do realize Ministry had been an industrial metal band at that point since 1988?

Sutekh
07-02-2013, 12:21 PM
I said it was the beginning of that moronic industrial metal sound, not the beginning of their phase as an industrial metal band. Ministry ended up sounding like the cheap bands ripping off their sound (that shitty downtuned throaty vocals knockoff ministry/white zombie sound)

Psalm 69 saw the formula they would doggedly stick to post 2003 well & truly established. Earlier stuff like "Stigmata" and "So What" is very different, the thrash influence isn't so pronounced on those 2 albums, but later it comes to dominate.

The last few albums really feel like they have the bonehead industrial metal anthem well and truly set in stone as their approach. You really wouldn't get something like "land of rape and honey" or "cannibal song" because they have slipped into a corner of the subgenre that doesn't require you to try anything new

Piko
07-05-2013, 04:07 PM
1988-1990 was easily Al's golden year. Just about everything he touched was golden (1000 Homo DJs, Pailhead, Cocks). So much amazing stufd came from that camp (al, barker, Connelly and rieflin).

And I'd hardly consider FP the beginning of the end. Commercially, yes. I can't blame the guy for not wanting to repeat himself by doing another Psalm 69. Unfortunately, that's what he does now...

virushopper
07-05-2013, 09:52 PM
Anyone planning on reading Al's book? If so, please tell us all if it is worth it. Thanks!

innerturmoil
07-06-2013, 03:25 PM
If you dig his whole "uncle Al" schtick and raging junkie persona who was solely responsible for anything the band produced, you'll probably like it. My favorite part is that after most chapters are interviews with related people who tend to have conflicting versions of Al's stories.

SM Rollinger
07-06-2013, 09:57 PM
Damn, looks like ill be passing on this one unless i can snag a used copy from my local used media store. Oh well

Piko
07-07-2013, 01:04 AM
I'd say Animositisomia, since it became painfully apparent that it was Barker that was holding it together. I actually like Molé too. That's the last album that I thoroughly enjoyed, and the beginning of Thrash Ministry. I listen to that album a great deal actually. But since then, we've just gotten the same album over and over again.

danebraddy
07-07-2013, 03:30 AM
Of the thrash Ministry era the only record that I spin every now and then is Rio Grande Dub Ya, most of the mixes are far superior to the originals.

notmebug
07-14-2013, 12:33 PM
In his book, Al, his wife, Mike Scaccia, and Gibby Haynes accuse Paul Barker of stealing from him and being solely responsible for other people not getting their due royalties. What's up with that?

Piko
07-14-2013, 12:54 PM
In his book, Al, his wife, Mike Scaccia, and Gibby Haynes accuse Paul Barker of stealing from him and being solely responsible for other people not getting their due royalties. What's up with that?

Of course "they" did. Al and his wife are so reliable, you know? As for Scaccia and Gibby? No idea. That argument goes both ways though. And I seriously doubt Barker has anything to do with Tommy Victor, who just so happened to have that same problem. And if I remember correctly, I think Scaccia left the band (although he toured in 06) because he wasn't getting paid, same for Sin who left (and joined) in 08, who also came back.

Barker left in 2003. He's to blame for unpaid royalties from 2004-2012 as well?

And I'm sure if you were to talk to Rey Washem, he'd probably point fingers at Al. Interesting sidenote, the drums on HOTM that are uncredited are from Washem. Also in 2004, AFTER Barker left.

notmebug
07-14-2013, 01:28 PM
I should have figured. Al also claims to have always hated Paul and he has no idea why people ever thought they even liked each other. Uhm, maybe because he said as much in interviews for so long? Oh, and he snogs Paul in "Fix" after waltzing with him, can't forget that, either.....

Piko
07-14-2013, 02:11 PM
I should have figured. Al also claims to have always hated Paul and he has no idea why people ever thought they even liked each other. Uhm, maybe because he said as much in interviews for so long? Oh, and he snogs Paul in "Fix" after waltzing with him, can't forget that, either.....

Pretty sure he just gets butt hurt when people leave. Whem Barker first left, Al still had good things to say about him. By 2006, he suddenly realized how much he hated Barker and had always hated him and how he was "just a bass player". And from what I've heard about Connelly, he apparently just tagged along and did nothing. Which is funny considering that he not only did lead vocals on a bunch of songs, but also wrote a majority of the lyrics back then as well, "Burning Inside, etc".

I could be wrong, but I think the lyrics from Mind were mostly written by Connelly and Ogre (Cannibal Song, and another one I think).

Stateira
07-14-2013, 03:14 PM
Pretty sure he just gets butt hurt when people leave. Whem Barker first left, Al still had good things to say about him. By 2006, he suddenly realized how much he hated Barker and had always hated him and how he was "just a bass player". And from what I've heard about Connelly, he apparently just tagged along and did nothing. Which is funny considering that he not only did lead vocals on a bunch of songs, but also wrote a majority of the lyrics back then as well, "Burning Inside, etc".

I could be wrong, but I think the lyrics from Mind were mostly written by Connelly and Ogre (Cannibal Song, and another one I think).

According to the now deleted message boards on Chris Connelly's website, Al's mainly buttmad at Connelly (and to a lesser extent, Rieflin) right now for not going along with his and his wife's attempts to paint Barker as a mustache-twirling embezzler. Which, if it is true, makes an awful lot of sense. Certainly more than any story Al or his wife have whipped up.

On another note, the only songs off "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste" where Connelly and Ogre don't get lyric credits are "Dream Song" and "Test."

Piko
07-14-2013, 03:42 PM
Test never happened... ... ... ;)

Connelly also opted out of a revco reunion. Which ptobably pissed Al off. Bill just kinda had enough and walked off.

fillow
07-14-2013, 04:19 PM
YO
dis is
a
TEST

Space Suicide
07-14-2013, 05:08 PM
attempts to paint Barker as a mustache-twirling embezzler.

I don't know why, but this made me lose my shit. Maybe because I envisioned it.

Sutekh
07-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Connelly is great, he's awesome on the revco and ministry concert videos. He looked cool on stage and performed well (those versions of so what and cattle grind are just fucking amazing), and he co wrote a lot of their best ever stuff. Really can only assume that Al is an arsehole idiot

funny how fix this is better than anything since filth pig. Must be black magic seeing as barker is just a bass player

Stateira
07-15-2013, 06:10 PM
funny how fix this is better than anything since filth pig. Must be black magic seeing as barker is just a bass player

That or, as someone on tumblr suggested (http://nanshe-of-nina.tumblr.com/post/55220307219/if-you-dont-wanna-read-al-jourgensens-book-and), Chris and Paul are Deep Old Ones.

Piko
07-15-2013, 06:21 PM
The new album is supposed to be somewhat different from the last few. But Al simply could give a fuck less about what his fans want. At the end of the day, he does what he wants. Always has and always will. And I seriously doubt this is the final album. But, maybe in his mind it is. Or, maybe every album is or could be his last at this point. Who knows?

SM Rollinger
07-15-2013, 08:35 PM
...Gibby Haynes accuse Paul Barker of stealing from him and being solely responsible for...

Because Gibby is the most honest guy in the world...

*cough cough* BROKEN MOVIE * cough cough*

Space Suicide
07-17-2013, 09:34 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/5761a2823805adffe8e7610781f8e486/tumblr_mpujdcnFAe1s2hykyo1_400.png

Piko
07-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Would maybe explain why Al fucked his face up with metal and tattoos; to replace the pain Barker gave when he left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfnbviN-Fo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Space Suicide
07-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Would maybe explain why Al fucked his face up with metal and tattoos; to replace the pain Barker gave when he left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfnbviN-Fo&feature=youtube_gdata_player (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfnbviN-Fo&feature=youtube_gdata_player)

No! It was to show his daughter he wasn't a pussy!

In better news, it looks like Chris Connelly and Paul Barker have started a project! (http://exclaim.ca/News/ministryrevolting_cocks_members_reunite_as_bells_i nto_machines)

Piko
07-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Anxious to hear more from that. Extremely promising. The stuff I heard (bandcamp, I think) was pretty cool.

imail724
07-17-2013, 12:02 PM
In better news, it looks like Chris Connelly and Paul Barker have started a project! (http://exclaim.ca/News/ministryrevolting_cocks_members_reunite_as_bells_i nto_machines)
Now THAT is something to get excited about!

This was also posted on their facebook (https://soundcloud.com/burning-city-frontiers/wretched-little-deity-demo)

Is it worth it to start a new thread devoted to this new group? Or maybe an all-encompassing Paul Barker thread?

Stateira
07-17-2013, 01:22 PM
Mean Girls seems very apt indeed. You think Al has a Burn Book?

Piko
07-17-2013, 11:17 PM
Mean Girls seems very apt indeed. You think Al has a Burn Book?

Yep! Just published it.

slave2thewage
07-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I read the book on my Kindle during my commute to/from Dublin this week. I thought it was a hoot! Then again, I didn't take everything at face value.

How come that book was the first time I ever heard about TR working as a roadie for Ministry?

Stateira
07-20-2013, 06:47 PM
I read the book on my Kindle during my commute to/from Dublin this week. I thought it was a hoot! Then again, I didn't take everything at face value.

How come that book was the first time I ever heard about TR working as a roadie for Ministry?

I think Chris Vrenna tagged along with him on the Beers, Steers, and Queers tour, but don't quote me on it. I distinctly remember hearing somewhere that TR's hazing on the Beers, Steers, and Queers tour is what inspired him to do the same thing to Marilyn Manson in '94, but don't quote me on that either.

Anyway, here's Jason Pettigrew's tour diary (http://www.skatenigs.com/revco.htm).

slave2thewage
07-24-2013, 09:58 AM
I just remembered that I burst out laughing when Al said he didn't like thrash metal in the book.

Piko
07-24-2013, 11:46 AM
Just likes it when he cashes in on it.

Prettybrokenspiral
07-25-2013, 07:48 AM
Wait, did he actually make any money off those thrash-metal albums?

Piko
07-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Not really. But he did get grammy nominations, heh.

Stateira
07-25-2013, 08:40 AM
Not a whole lot, no, but definitely more than most of his former bandmates' projects do, and that's all that seems to matter to him.

DVYDRNS
07-25-2013, 08:58 AM
Not sure I can believe the nonsensical ramblings of 3 drugged out burnouts. Jourgenson is obviously retarded from all the drugs. Haynes has always been retarded from the drugs. And Scaccia isn't alive anymore to to say yay or nay. But I'm pretty sure there's some drugs there too.

And don't get me started on Angie...

Piko
07-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Not a whole lot, no, but definitely more than most of his former bandmates' projects do, and that's all that seems to matter to him.

Not sure I can agree with that. Albums and touring is Al's main priorities (for the most part). The other guys (Barker and Connelly), while they still play music (not as much with Barker), touring isn't even on the table. They have day jobs, and families to support. Money-wise, they're probably even. Al's albums don't sell anymore, but he plays festivals which can probably make up for some of that.

Connelly still releases albums on a regular basis, which mostly sell to his fans (like al), plays local shows in Chicago, and manages at a record store. Probably making the same money in a year, I'd wager. Plus, he's still probably cashing in from royalties.

Barker, at a pedal company, I believe. Less active than the rest of the "book club".

Not sure I can believe the nonsensical ramblings of 3 drugged out burnouts. Jourgenson is obviously retarded from all the drugs. Haynes has always been retarded from the drugs. And Scaccia isn't alive anymore to to say yay or nay. But I'm pretty sure there's some drugs there too.

And don't get me started on Angie...

I heard somewhere that she actually defended barker in the book. How Al is hurt that he left, etc etc. Scaccia was probably just trying to defend his buddy.

And no one in ministry was really "clean". Especially Mikey (see: crumbs).

Stateira
07-25-2013, 10:00 AM
Not sure I can agree with that. Albums and touring is Al's main priorities (for the most part). The other guys (Barker and Connelly), while they still play music (not as much with Barker), touring isn't even on the table. They have day jobs, and families to support. Money-wise, they're probably even. Al's albums don't sell anymore, but he plays festivals which can probably make up for some of that.

Connelly still releases albums on a regular basis, which mostly sell to his fans (like al), plays local shows in Chicago, and manages at a record store. Probably making the same money in a year, I'd wager. Plus, he's still probably cashing in from royalties.

Barker, at a pedal company, I believe. Less active than the rest of the "book club".

Oh, that's a very good point. I was mostly just going off what Al had to say in Decibel Magazine about the making of "The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste": "Connelly's ... got a day job in a record store. All the sane people or Dengenerate [me, Mikey, and Ogre] people have nice places, studios, and good lives." I should have known he was full of it, since almost all of his other stories in that interview have holes in them big enough to drive a semi through.

I heard somewhere that she actually defended barker in the book. How Al is hurt that he left, etc etc. Scaccia was probably just trying to defend his buddy. And no one in ministry was really "clean". Especially Mikey (see: crumbs).

Angie said that Al actually loved Paul when they were bandmates, but then (and I quote) Paul stuck a knife in Al's heart. She then goes on to say that she doesn't believe Paul is completely bad. Which, in most cases, would be a rather token defense, but compared to what Al and Mike have to say in that book about Paul...

Sutekh
07-25-2013, 01:47 PM
If you play headbanging metal you will get booked for the numerous metal festivals! He sussed it and turned it into a nice earner

Space Suicide
07-25-2013, 05:03 PM
The thrash direction was all right but it got to be too dominant and drawn out repetitive.

Prettybrokenspiral
07-26-2013, 02:04 AM
Have to admit that "Live Fast (Die In A Crash)" song is an absolute burner.

Piko
07-26-2013, 11:44 AM
The thrash direction was all right but it got to be too dominant and drawn out repetitive.

My problem with the thrash stuff is that not only got repetitive, but gradually decreased in quality. Judging from the Relapse vids, he/they obviously rush through production.

Have to admit that "Live Fast (Die In A Crash)" song is an absolute burner.

Best song on the album, hands down.

DVYDRNS
07-26-2013, 07:23 PM
Barker and Connelly have a new project together.

Bells into machines.

It's interesting for sure.

Piko
07-26-2013, 07:45 PM
If they could get Rieflin involved they'll have themselves a stew!

Space Suicide
07-26-2013, 08:15 PM
Barker and Connelly have a new project together.

Bells into machines.

It's interesting for sure.

I posted it on the last page.

thefragile_jake
07-26-2013, 10:28 PM
So what happened to that new song that was supposed to come out?

Piko
07-26-2013, 10:31 PM
No idea. Been hearing about a new song for past couple months, and have yet to really hear anything. I'm sure there will be a single sometime before the album comes out (September, I think?).

Edit: nm, misread. It's september

Piko
07-27-2013, 09:33 AM
Hah! Yeah, probably so. I know it's called Permawar. I do remember hearing a sample it somewhere, not sure where, and it wasn't anything we haven't heard before.

SM Rollinger
07-27-2013, 11:00 AM
Its probably from one of the cuts of Loose Change or some PrisonPlanet "documentary"

Piko
07-27-2013, 11:02 AM
Nah. I'm almost positive it was something to do with models for the cover art. Not sure where I saw it. I'll look for it in a few.

Stateira
07-27-2013, 11:16 AM
A heads up: There are links all over YouTube that claim to have the whole album, but they all lead to scam website Download Provider. I made the mistake of giving Download Provider money about a year ago and I had to call my credit card company to get them to stop billing me.

imail724
07-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Nah. I'm almost positive it was something to do with models for the cover art. Not sure where I saw it. I'll look for it in a few.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoYRlvu3JqM
I've heard worse from Al and the gang

bobbie solo
07-31-2013, 12:45 AM
A heads up: There are links all over YouTube that claim to have the whole album, but they all lead to scam website Download Provider. I made the mistake of giving Download Provider money about a year ago and I had to call my credit card company to get them to stop billing me.

wow. so you people DO exist.

Space Suicide
07-31-2013, 12:56 AM
wow. so you people DO exist.

If it isn't mediafire, yousendit, fileshare, filefactory, etc. then it's not even worth bothering to click. The warning signs are there.

Stateira
07-31-2013, 03:04 PM
I was snookered in by the promise of Thomas Ligotti's Songs of a Dead Dreamer.... Very, very stupid of me, but at the time I couldn't find it anywhere for less than $500. *Hangs head*

voidnz
07-31-2013, 06:30 PM
Has a new song premiered yet? I heard some interview on full metal jackie yesterday that said it was gonna be.

virushopper
08-01-2013, 10:30 PM
I read somewhere it is out tomorrow (8/2) on iTunes.

The single I mean.

Piko
08-01-2013, 10:49 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the album leaks. Ministry albums usually leak pretty early.

Space Suicide
08-02-2013, 01:31 PM
New Single on iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/permawar-single/id677266072)

Same shit, different album. Meh. Seems better than any material on Relapse so that's good at least.

virushopper
08-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Blah it was bland and crap.

voidnz
08-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Preview didn't impress me, not worth my money.

thefragile_jake
08-02-2013, 07:12 PM
BWAHAHAHA, that sample sounded hilarious. What is with his Cookie Monster growl he's had for these past few records? Man. At least I have this record to look forward to for a cheap laugh.

Stateira
08-02-2013, 11:05 PM
BWAHAHAHA, that sample sounded hilarious. What is with his Cookie Monster growl he's had for these past few records? Man. At least I have this record to look forward to for a cheap laugh.

It's to impress people who really like death metal, I suppose.

Piko
08-02-2013, 11:12 PM
His voice is shot, and that's the closest thing to a scream that he can really do. He's still very capable of singing, but he's too "tough" to sing these days, unless he's doing a "country" album.

poinoup
08-03-2013, 09:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50AV6bJDL4Y

Well there it is. Yep, still bland and uninspired. And Obama samples...

SM Rollinger
08-03-2013, 11:01 AM
Embedding denied via youtube.

This is alot better than the stuff Al's put out ove the last couple years. What a difference real drums make!

Maximilian
08-03-2013, 11:11 AM
I like the part when he does the vocals similar to "Apathy".

I've always been a first day buyer for Ministry studio albums, so this is not different. It's got to be better than Relapse, I mean, seriously.

Piko
08-03-2013, 11:46 AM
It shouldn't be that hard to do better than Relapse. If he actually tries, that is. I know he has a good album left in him somewhere. Problem is, he doesnt really care and is willing to rush out an album for a quick buck. Quantity over quality.

Stateira
08-03-2013, 12:44 PM
Embedding denied via youtube.

This is alot better than the stuff Al's put out ove the last couple years. What a difference real drums make!

Who'd he get to play drums, do you have any idea? Was it Aaron Rossi?

Piko
08-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Drums make a major difference. Aaron Rossi plays drums on some of it, I think. Read somewhere that Scaccia played some as well.

Space Suicide
08-03-2013, 03:36 PM
The comments on that video either love 'Ol Uncle Al a lot or haven't even listened to anything pre-Houses of the Mole.

I honestly think the latter.

Stateira
08-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, you never know. They could be the type of metalheads who think that using a synthesizer automatically makes you gay.

Piko
08-03-2013, 09:17 PM
There are actually a few fans out there that have been around forever that actually do enjoy the metal albums. Definitely a minority.

Space Suicide
08-03-2013, 09:19 PM
There are actually a few fans out there that have been around forever that actually do enjoy the metal albums. Definitely a minority.

I agree and same with me but even so, the quality has declined even as far as lyrical content.

billpulsipher
08-04-2013, 06:38 PM
Ministry has been worthless shit since Filth Pig..the last few albums are fucking abortions to say the least

DVYDRNS
08-06-2013, 05:26 PM
Al is working with Reznor on a project. wtf.

http://pitchfork.com/news/51799-al-jourgensen-of-ministry-working-with-trent-reznor-and-lil-wayne/

Piko
08-06-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm guessing it's not what it seems. I seriously doubt Trent would collaborate with Al these days. While he's off winning awards for soundtracks, Al's getting wasted and releasing half assed metal albums. Doubt Trent would go along with that, being super sober and all.

Lil Wayne... No idea. Remix probably.

SM Rollinger
08-07-2013, 05:57 PM
I agree, probably just Al talking out his ass again. But who knows? Maybe they could get Ogre and En Esch involved and really kick it old school?

Stateira
08-07-2013, 06:55 PM
I agree, probably just Al talking out his ass again. But who knows? Maybe they could get Ogre and En Esch involved and really kick it old school?

Sascha Konietzko would be more likely. I think En Esch has too many connections to the ebil Book Club for Al's liking.

Space Suicide
08-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Sascha Konietzko would be more likely. I think En Esch has too many connections to the ebil Book Club for Al's liking.

I'd hope not. KMFDM might not be at their glory days but they still make solid, consistent offerings. I think making something with Jourgensen would kinda seem awkward in creativity.

Lil Wayne working with Jourgensen? What piece of shit doesn't this guy want a slice of? I speak of Lil Wayne, not Al this time.

Piko
08-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Maybe he's using Al's studio, and not an actual collaboration? I doubt that though. A rapper in a studio draped in rebel flags, right. If it isn't a ministry release, it's probably not happening. that's the only reliable thing you take Al at face value on.

danebraddy
08-07-2013, 10:31 PM
Musically the new song reminds me of 'Crumbs'.
I like that it's not typical double timed thrash/speed metal.

...but that's as nice as I'll be about it. Everything else about it is... embarrassing.

Al,
Retire.
We don't want anymore.

Stateira
08-07-2013, 11:33 PM
I'd hope not. KMFDM might not be at their glory days but they still make solid, consistent offerings. I think making something with Jourgensen would kinda seem awkward in creativity.

Oh, I don't think that Sascha would, I was just saying he'd be a more likely candidate than En Esch for obvious reasons.

Maybe he's using Al's studio, and not an actual collaboration? I doubt that though. A rapper in a studio draped in rebel flags, right. If it isn't a ministry release, it's probably not happening. that's the only reliable thing you take Al at face value on.

How can you say that? It only took him, like, a decade to deliver on the promise of a country album. :rolleyes:

Piko
08-08-2013, 12:14 AM
Decade? Try two decades. Al's own "chinese democracy".

thelastdisciple
08-08-2013, 12:21 AM
Damn... Al is really frail these days, didn't even realize till i looked up on some stuff from him in recent times.

Someone posted a video from Paris in NIN Spotting, Al looked like death....

Upon some research i found these articles from Rolling Stone and Loudwire. (which i know are not new but i hadn't seen these till now)

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/al-jourgensen-collapses-onstage-in-paris-20120729

http://loudwire.com/ministrys-al-jourgensen-hospitalized-after-shortened-show-in-paris/

It's no wonder he looked bad, sheesh.

They both kind of conflict each other but so goes Al Jourgensen.

virushopper
08-13-2013, 11:33 AM
New Lard album? Revolting Cocks is no more? Al name dropping Lil' Wayne for the hell of it?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/ministrys-al-jourgensen-if-you-havent-sucked-dk-before-youre-really-missing/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blabbermouth+%28Blabbermouth. net%27s+Daily+Headlines%29

Stateira
08-13-2013, 02:46 PM
New Lard album? Revolting Cocks is no more? Al name dropping Lil' Wayne for the hell of it?

He's been saying that they'll be new Lard for years and has yet to deliver. As for Revolting Cocks, I guess Al couldn't find anyone else who wanted to be a part of his industrial Menudo project?

Sutekh
08-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Yeah I support all manner of tenuous lineups but that fake revco was a step too far. I mean who was that singer? what the hell was the connection to the old cocks

Al's facebook is very funny though, he's obviously a bit unhinged but some of his posts do make me laugh

slave2thewage
08-14-2013, 08:46 AM
I still don't understand how anyone can drink two bottles of wine a day. I had a bottle and an extra glass on my birthday and I was out for the count.

Piko
08-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I can put down a bottle and still function. Never tried for two, although I considered getting another bottle one time. Two is probably pushing it though. His tolerance must be insane. He's a drunk and an addict. There's never "enough" for guys like him.

Prettybrokenspiral
08-14-2013, 09:12 AM
His tolerance must be insane. He's a drunk and an addict. There's never "enough" for guys like him.

The guy used to mainline Jack Daniels Tommy Lee-style and sticks vegetables up his ass. Two bottles to him is like a cigarette and a sock change to you and me.

Piko
08-14-2013, 09:17 AM
The guy used to mainline Jack Daniels Tommy Lee-style and sticks vegetables up his ass. Two bottles to him is like a cigarette and a sock change to you and me.

And he was good at sucking cock. Kinda weird for tough guy Al to even say that, fact or fiction. But yeah, you got a point. My tolerance is likely nowhere near his. Especially when he likely drinks on a daily basis.

Piko
08-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Fix? I've yet to really see that one. But, I did see the video you're referring to. That was the same show in France when he collapsed from "dysentery"...

Stateira
08-14-2013, 12:00 PM
And he was good at sucking cock. Kinda weird for tough guy Al to even say that, fact or fiction

In FIX, David Yow claims that he and Gibby Haynes used to blow men for money at a bus station in Toledo and taught Al everything he knows about "penis suckery" and how he's much more money from it than they have. I suspect that was probably a joke of some kind about their respective successes (or lack thereof) in the music industry, though.

Either way, FIX also shows Al kissing David Yow and Paul Barker at different points. Between that and the way Chris Connelly described him doting over Ogre in his memoir, well... Though it is surprising that Al admitted to it, given the audience he's trying to cater to these days.

wizfan
08-14-2013, 12:43 PM
www.metalsucks.net/2013/08/14/ministrys-al-jourgensen-discusses-sucking-dick-sticking-vegetables-up-his-ass/

Mutilated
08-14-2013, 02:38 PM
No more RevCo either?!?!?!? That's my day ruined.

imail724
08-14-2013, 02:41 PM
No more RevCo either?!?!?!? That's my day ruined.
Can't tell if serious

Mutilated
08-14-2013, 02:48 PM
I prefer 21st century RevCo over 21st Century Ministry....

frankie teardrop
08-14-2013, 03:05 PM
yeah, i've seen both versions of revco (and saw the wax trax retrospective with everyone BUT al from the original band) and the menudo-style version isn't bad at all, with the exception of obviously being a bunch of younger kids with no connection to the source material. they play all the old material primarily, and the new songs, while not great, are leagues better than modern ministry...

i'm not saying they're brilliant, but i agree with Mutilated.

SM Rollinger
08-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Wow those "interview" snippits were worthless. Although i got a kick out of the Al/Spongebob pix at the top, funny stuff.

Sutekh
08-15-2013, 04:42 AM
pmsl... from Al's facebook

"As if there's not enuff problems I the world I have one more to add to the list.....raccoons! My compound has been taken over by a thug gang of asshole raccoons.b4 I get bombarded with post about how cute your pet raccoon is, know this ,I've been bitten three times by those surly bastards my ex had one that bit me twice and the owner of sonic ranch had one that damn near took my leg off. To me, they are just over glorified fat rats with eyeliner(hmmmm, kinda sounds like Robert smith of the Cure to me) anyways b4 the P.E.T.A.philes freak out ,I don't want to poison or shoot them I just want them the fuck off my property. They've already beaten the crap out of one of my cats ruined my fucking vegetable garden,tip over the garbage cans nightly and keep us up all night with weird creepy loud as fuck noises, any humane or organic suggestions on how to get rid of these assholes?"

there's a sitcom in here somewhere

frankie teardrop
08-15-2013, 11:26 AM
regarding robert smith, i don't think al's in the position to pass judgement.

/judgement

Stateira
08-15-2013, 10:02 PM
pmsl... from Al's facebook

"As if there's not enuff problems I the world I have one more to add to the list.....raccoons! My compound has been taken over by a thug gang of asshole raccoons.b4 I get bombarded with post about how cute your pet raccoon is, know this ,I've been bitten three times by those surly bastards my ex had one that bit me twice and the owner of sonic ranch had one that damn near took my leg off. To me, they are just over glorified fat rats with eyeliner(hmmmm, kinda sounds like Robert smith of the Cure to me) anyways b4 the P.E.T.A.philes freak out ,I don't want to poison or shoot them I just want them the fuck off my property. They've already beaten the crap out of one of my cats ruined my fucking vegetable garden,tip over the garbage cans nightly and keep us up all night with weird creepy loud as fuck noises, any humane or organic suggestions on how to get rid of these assholes?"

there's a sitcom in here somewhere

Now he's ranting about how a rainstorm washed away all the cayenne pepper that he spread around to keep the raccoons away and then somehow goes off on a tangent about climate change.

This is better than most television.

Piko
08-15-2013, 11:08 PM
He's become THAT GUY!

Space Suicide
08-16-2013, 12:31 AM
I think his brain is fried or definitely cooked well.

slave2thewage
08-16-2013, 01:30 AM
What's the link to his Facebook? I found his private page but I can't friend him.

EDIT: Found it. "NOW ALL OUR NEIGHBORS KNOW WHAT I LOOK LIKE HALF-NAKED" - omg, I'm dying.

Stateira
08-16-2013, 10:12 AM
A tip for drummers: as long as you leave your drumsticks visible on the dash you are allowed to park in handicap

Did you hear about the drummer that locked his keys in his car and had to call AAA to come get his bass player out

Al's a master of subtly airing his grudges.

virushopper
08-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Marvel at this awesome video!

http://youtu.be/rwvoHP7bUAw

Piko
08-16-2013, 11:45 AM
Wow, that was "wonderful"... Not really. Does Al ever realize how much of a goof he appears to be in that video, or any of his videos.

imail724
08-16-2013, 12:16 PM
Guy sure loves his green screens

Piko
08-16-2013, 12:18 PM
HAHA! That, and trying to look scary.

Stateira
08-16-2013, 03:47 PM
I lol'd. It looks like he was attacked by a porcupine.

Space Suicide
08-16-2013, 04:54 PM
Alien Jourgensen (https://www.facebook.com/alienjourgensenofficial?ref=stream&hc_location=stream)

Holy fuck! Just crawled under my staircase where the raccoons have their terrorist safe house . They were all there sleeping. Threw some powdered cayenne pepper at em and damn near got my face ripped off fuck this no more mr. Nice guy! Going back to store and buying dry ice to put in a plastic bottle fuck them! Have plenty of fire extinguishers to make sure rest of house doesn't catch fire but now I AM OFFICIALLY PISSED OFF! Sorry Angie when you get back from L.A. I will build you a new stairwell.

Safe to say this guy's lost it or hellbent.

Have 2 high powered crossbows but there's so many of these brazen fuckers they'd have my leg off b4 I reload have a 30 odd 6 but Angie hid the ammo b4 leaving for L.A. So the official sequel to caddy shack begins today. KABOOM!

Uh...

Stateira
08-16-2013, 05:29 PM
Holy fuck! Just crawled under my staircase where the raccoons have their terrorist safe house . They were all there sleeping. Threw some powdered cayenne pepper at em and damn near got my face ripped off fuck this no more mr. Nice guy! Going back to store and buying dry ice to put in a plastic bottle fuck them! Have plenty of fire extinguishers to make sure rest of house doesn't catch fire but now I AM OFFICIALLY PISSED OFF! Sorry Angie when you get back from L.A. I will build you a new stairwell. Al, call animal control, FFS. Rabies is the last thing your clearly addled brain needs right now.

Have 2 high powered crossbows but there's so many of these brazen fuckers they'd have my leg off b4 I reload have a 30 odd 6 but Angie hid the ammo b4 leaving for L.A. So the official sequel to caddy shack begins today.KABOOM! Now that sounds like the scene in Steel Magnolias where Tom Skerrit's character is trying to use a gun to scare off birds. Then, Sally Field hides his ammo so he resorts to fireworks. ... Nobody post that on his FB; it might give him ideas.