PDA

View Full Version : What's this concert footage? (UPDATE: It's Further Down the Spiral, and IT'S HERE!)

Pages : [1] 2

Norton Canes
08-08-2013, 12:37 PM
OK, let me tell you the story.

Back in about 1995 I was working in the library (storeroom, yeah?) of a video production facilities house in Camden, London. We handled a lot of pop and rock music stuff - promos, live concerts, that sort of thing. We had all the footage from Glastonbury turn up when Channel 4 UK had the rights to show it, for instance. Anyway, one day a whole stack of films tins arrived. There were scores of them - close to a hundred, I guess - and they were all marked 'Nine Inch Nails'. Well, my curiosity was piqued, 'cause I was a fan; so when, a few days later, the director turned up in an edit suite to put all this stuff together, I went down to ask him what he'd got.

He told me it was footage from a recent NIN concert, and the reason there was so much of it was that it had been shot by far more cameras than usual, to get as many different angles as possible. There was backstage stuff too, shot on handicams. In short, it all sounded pretty awesome. I paid regular visits to the edit suite as the guy worked on, watching over his shoulder whenever I could.

Eventually, after a few weeks, he'd got the thing finished. The film cans all came back to the library, and he jetted off to LA, for a meeting with Trent, who would give the movie his approval. Except... he didn't. The director came back a couple of weeks later totally crestfallen, telling us that Trent had changed his mind - rather than wanting an epic production shot from all angles, he now wanted the record of the concert to be more intimate. So the completed movie was shelved, and we never saw the director again.

Except the story doesn't end there. A few weeks on again, and who should suddenly turn up in our library but the imposing figure of Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson, founding member of Throbbing Gristle and Coil, and experimental music promo director. He had been recruited by Trent to rescue the movie, by re-cutting much of the footage. So that's what he did. And shortly afterwards I left the company, so I guess most of you have a better idea of what happened to Sleazy's version of the concert than I do. I presume it found favour and was released in its truncated form, but I haven't checked the NIN filmography.

But... wait. If you've been following me, I know what you're thinking. Doesn't that mean that the extended version of this concert footage is still hanging around? The one that the original director took to Trent Reznor? The one with all the angles? Someone must have the master tape, yeah? Well, I couldn't say exactly where the master tape is now - last time I saw it, it was sitting on the 'N' shelf of the video facilities house library. But I know where a VHS copy of master tape is. It's on my desk, right here. I had one of the tape engineers make it for me, when I found out it wasn't going to be released. Let me look at the track listing...

Mr Self Destruct
Sin
March Of The Pigs
Piggy
Reptile
Gave Up
Happiness In Slavery
Eraser
Hurt
The Downward Spiral
Wish
How Does It Feel
The Only Time
Down In It
Head Like A Hole
Closer
Lost Souls
I Do Not Want This
Something I Can Never Have

I wish I could remember the name of that first director. Ginger hair, is all I can recall. The name totally escapes me. It was a long time ago! I thought it was such a shame he got the rebuke from Trent, after all that hard work.

CAVEAT: All the above is true. But for all I know, a hundred other copies, and copies of copies, were made of that master tape, and there are a million versions of it sitting on people's hard drives. Hell, I haven't even checked YouTube. But for a while, mine was unique.

slave2thewage
08-08-2013, 12:46 PM
You might want to message Leviathant about this. There was no full-length concert officially released from the Self-Destruct tour, so you might happen to have a great piece of NIN history on your desk!

ninlive
08-08-2013, 12:46 PM
I'll be the first to ask if you'd like to get that properly transferred and archived for everyone to see? http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com

Leviathant
08-08-2013, 12:53 PM
Hi there @Norton Canes (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3253) - I only skimmed this, but wanted to say that I would love to talk to you about lending that tape to @ItsJustDave (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=6)

Edit: Bonus points for the delivery of your story, dude, haha. Private Message Sent!

P.S. Simon Maxwell (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3963786/) is credited for directing the videos for Hurt, Eraser, and Wish on Closure. I'm guessing he's the ginger.

ItsJustDave
08-08-2013, 12:59 PM
NTSC or PAL?

Fred
08-08-2013, 01:02 PM
WANT. What a great story, and what a great tape you've got there. If you intend to share this, I'm sure the entire community would be eternally grateful if you decide to share this. I, for one, absolutely would. Thank you for making my day!

tony.parente
08-08-2013, 01:06 PM
Mother of god....
....Mother of god.

spiralhate
08-08-2013, 01:07 PM
@Norton Canes (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3253):

Do you have any ideia if this video is part of that footage you have?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0Tw5HTMvqs

Shadaloo
08-08-2013, 01:10 PM
Candidates, anyone? (slow day at work and I feel like helping). This could be narrowed down via presence of Wooley or Clouser:

Tampa (incomplete setlist?) - http://www.ninwiki.com/1994/11/21_Tampa,_FL

Winston-Salem - http://www.ninwiki.com/1994/11/23_Winston-Salem,_NC

Pittsburgh - http://www.ninwiki.com/1994/11/28_Pittsburgh,_PA

Boston - http://www.ninwiki.com/1994/12/03_Boston,_MA

Baltimore - http://www.ninwiki.com/1994/12/06_Baltimore,_MD

NYC - http://www.ninwiki.com/1994/12/09_New_York_City,_NY

Topeka - http://www.ninwiki.com/1995/02/08_Topeka,_KS

sheepdean
08-08-2013, 02:18 PM

Back in about 1995 I was working in the library (storeroom, yeah?) of a video production facilities house in Camden, London. We handled a lot of pop and rock music stuff - promos, live concerts, that sort of thing.

Wait is that the one in Kentish Town

Norton Canes
08-08-2013, 02:36 PM
spiralhate: The irony is that we don't have a VHS player any more, so I can't actually watch the thing. From what you've all said, though, it seems like it's something worth exploring - so I'll sort out getting it converted sometime very soon.

@Levianthant: Simon Maxwell - yeah, that was him. Really nice guy.
sheepdean: No, it was right in the middle of Camden. It shut down ages ago though, and the building's been demolished since - no idea what happened to the stock.

Shadaloo
08-08-2013, 02:45 PM
Also, some possible dates from the point in the tour that NINwiki has no info on, after they dropped Ruiner from the setlist:

1994/11/25 Hampton, VA
1994/12/28 Cleveland, OH
1994/12/31 Detroit, MI
1995/01/08 Cleveland, OH
1995/01/12 Kalamazoo, MI
1995/01/13 Toledo, OH
1995/01/15 Chicago, IL
1995/01/16 Chicago, IL
1995/01/21 Indianapolis, IN
1995/01/22 Evansville, IN
1995/01/25 Columbia, SC
1995/01/27 Orlando, FL
1995/01/31 Little Rock, AR

Leviathant
08-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Also, some possible dates from the point in the tour that NINwiki has no info on, after they dropped Ruiner from the setlist:

1994/11/25 Hampton, VA
1994/12/28 Cleveland, OH
1994/12/31 Detroit, MI
1995/01/08 Cleveland, OH
1995/01/12 Kalamazoo, MI
1995/01/13 Toledo, OH
1995/01/15 Chicago, IL
1995/01/16 Chicago, IL
1995/01/21 Indianapolis, IN
1995/01/25 Columbia, SC
1995/01/27 Orlando, FL
1995/01/31 Little Rock, AR

From the NINWiki Entry on the Hurt video:

The footage used for this (as well as the live videos for "Eraser (http://www.ninwiki.com/Eraser)" and "Wish (http://www.ninwiki.com/Wish_%28song%29)") was shot in Dallas, Texas and Omaha, Nebraska in February of 1995. This video was released after a fully produced music video was scrapped. Both the scrapped studio video and the final live video were directed by Simon Maxwell (http://www.ninwiki.com/index.php?title=Simon_Maxwell&action=edit&redlink=1).

Shadaloo
08-08-2013, 02:57 PM
Nice. Damn, missed it by that much, haha

My failure to refresh a thread as I excitedly sift through NINwiki aside...this is a pretty goddamned amazing find. I've always wondered what the rest of those shows were like. Holy shit...

brokenfragility
08-08-2013, 05:44 PM
I've always wanted a Self Destruct tour show DVD (in this case VHS) with decent audio/video. Closure has too many random cuts, it's definitely not an accurate representation of seeing one show start to finish.

*edit: Also, why is there a song labeled How Does It Feel, isn't that just Suck?

piggy
08-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Oh. My. Jesus. The lost Simon Maxwell footage has been my personal holy grail of NIN for years. Would love to eventually get my hands on it.

Reznor2112
08-08-2013, 08:21 PM
Jesus! Please tell me this is going to surface!!!!!! Ahhhh

billpulsipher
08-08-2013, 09:09 PM
Dude, you surface this and you go into the hall of fucking fame in the NIN community for life

fuckit
08-09-2013, 12:17 AM
Lost souls dead souls. Tomato tamato

Fred
08-09-2013, 12:59 AM
If it is indeed the full Maxwell footage... well, WOW. I've always wanted to see this, and there has always been a considerable gap in the history of "Closure". The story goes that Trent was dissatisfied with the quality of the supposedly too polished pro-shot material in "Closure", and that he subsequently went with a rawer, "audience POV" style for "And All That Could Have Been".

This story has always made me go "WTF". Yeah, yeah, the music videos for "Eraser", "Hurt" and "Wish" are definitely squeaky clean, but the rest of the live footage on "Closure" is deliberately shitty, with stuff shot on old film stock, off CRT TVs and whatnot. Why would Trent find that footage too clean? Did he want every NIN live video to look like it was flushed into a toilet or what?

The story makes a lot more sense now. Of course Maxwell shot more and of course it's this footage Trent was dissatisfied with because of its look and feel. But wow, do I want to see this. The aesthetic on "Closure" was cool for a while, but ten years after the fact, it becomes disappointing that Trent's infatuation with rougher art ensured that we have almost no live footage from this era that doesn't look like crap. This could bridge a huge gap. I so badly want to see it.

TheBang
08-09-2013, 04:02 AM
When this get released, I vote that it be called "Closurer".

TRAjiK_SiN813
08-09-2013, 09:38 AM

Back in about 1995 I was working in the library (storeroom, yeah?) of a video production facilities house in Camden, London. We handled a lot of pop and rock music stuff - promos, live concerts, that sort of thing. We had all the footage from Glastonbury turn up when Channel 4 UK had the rights to show it, for instance. Anyway, one day a whole stack of films tins arrived. There were scores of them - close to a hundred, I guess - and they were all marked 'Nine Inch Nails'. Well, my curiosity was piqued, 'cause I was a fan; so when, a few days later, the director turned up in an edit suite to put all this stuff together, I went down to ask him what he'd got.

He told me it was footage from a recent NIN concert, and the reason there was so much of it was that it had been shot by far more cameras than usual, to get as many different angles as possible. There was backstage stuff too, shot on handicams. In short, it all sounded pretty awesome. I paid regular visits to the edit suite as the guy worked on, watching over his shoulder whenever I could.

Eventually, after a few weeks, he'd got the thing finished. The film cans all came back to the library, and he jetted off to LA, for a meeting with Trent, who would give the movie his approval. Except... he didn't. The director came back a couple of weeks later totally crestfallen, telling us that Trent had changed his mind - rather than wanting an epic production shot from all angles, he now wanted the record of the concert to be more intimate. So the completed movie was shelved, and we never saw the director again.

Except the story doesn't end there. A few weeks on again, and who should suddenly turn up in our library but the imposing figure of Peter 'Sleazy' Christopherson, founding member of Throbbing Gristle and Coil, and experimental music promo director. He had been recruited by Trent to rescue the movie, by re-cutting much of the footage. So that's what he did. And shortly afterwards I left the company, so I guess most of you have a better idea of what happened to Sleazy's version of the concert than I do. I presume it found favour and was released in its truncated form, but I haven't checked the NIN filmography.

But... wait. If you've been following me, I know what you're thinking. Doesn't that mean that the extended version of this concert footage is still hanging around? The one that the original director took to Trent Reznor? The one with all the angles? Someone must have the master tape, yeah? Well, I couldn't say exactly where the master tape is now - last time I saw it, it was sitting on the 'N' shelf of the video facilities house library. But I know where a VHS copy of master tape is. It's on my desk, right here. I had one of the tape engineers make it for me, when I found out it wasn't going to be released. Let me look at the track listing...

Mr Self Destruct
Sin
March Of The Pigs
Piggy
Reptile
Gave Up
Happiness In Slavery
Eraser
Hurt
The Downward Spiral
Wish
How Does It Feel
The Only Time
Down In It
Head Like A Hole
Closer
Lost Souls
I Do Not Want This
Something I Can Never Have

I wish I could remember the name of that first director. Ginger hair, is all I can recall. The name totally escapes me. It was a long time ago! I thought it was such a shame he got the rebuke from Trent, after all that hard work.

CAVEAT: All the above is true. But for all I know, a hundred other copies, and copies of copies, were made of that master tape, and there are a million versions of it sitting on people's hard drives. Hell, I haven't even checked YouTube. But for a while, mine was unique.

I have heard all this footage is in the 'Valuts' at Interscope. The Director you might be referring to, who did the 'Closure' 'Self-Destruct Tour'??? His name is Jonathan Rach, I've been trying to find the 'real' one for a year or two. I have a 'Self-Destruct tour' Itinerary with everyone who was on the tour & their jobs, its got a lot of pretty cool info in it. But a lot of the stuff isn't current because it was The J Artist Days, Hope this video/audio can surface!!! Thanks TRAjiK SiN aka J

Shadaloo
08-09-2013, 10:04 AM
When this get released, I vote that it be called "Closurer".

Should we continue the trend of naming it after a lyric in a song from the album? ex: "Nothing Can Stop Me Now", "All That You Want", "So Far Away" "Something That Matters", "A Million Miles Away" "Got Me A Big Old Dick", etc.

buckaroo
08-09-2013, 11:09 AM
i have been hoping for this for so long. i had always hoped interscope would release this at some point. as much as i love closure i thought in terms of the live footage the wish and eraser "videos" were the highlights. even if it was super polished.

[parasite]
08-09-2013, 11:27 AM
"crawl right up on your knees!"

tony.parente
08-09-2013, 11:34 AM
"Got Me A Big Old Dick"

It has been decided.

Bokononist
08-09-2013, 12:07 PM
"Something I Can Never Have". Wrong era? Sure, but it ends the show.

nobies
08-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Can someone tell me the history of this Simon Maxwell concert film? From what I'm hearing Trent hired Maxwell to shoot a concert film of the Self Destruct Tour, Trent said "no manches" and then had it recut into Closure?

Fred
08-09-2013, 02:54 PM
It has been decided.

Actually, "You Know, Just For the Fuck Of It" would be a wonderfully non-committal title for a release. Though I suppose a more fitting one would be "Now Doesn't That Make You Feel Better?"

tony.parente
08-09-2013, 02:57 PM
Actually, "You Know, Just For the Fuck Of It" would be a wonderfully non-committal title for a release. Though I suppose a more fitting one would be "Now Doesn't That Make You Feel Better?"

I'm still mad we didn't call any of the with_teeth bootlegs "flip flop flip flop flip"

ItsJustDave
08-09-2013, 04:20 PM
I'm still mad we didn't call any of the with_teeth bootlegs "flip flop flip flop flip"

But this isn't a bootleg. This is an unreleased official recording.

icklekitty
08-09-2013, 04:25 PM
I hope something is happening behind the scenes and this guy hasn't gone AWOL.

tony.parente
08-09-2013, 04:31 PM
But this isn't a bootleg. This is an unreleased official recording.

Does that mean "I got my NIN on a spring-ah" is still an option?

pigpen
08-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Holy shit, this would be amazing.
Please let this come to fruition!!!!

I've always wondered where the rest of that footage went, and why it never surfaced as it's own live concert video!
Hope something comes of this.

billpulsipher
08-09-2013, 05:26 PM
if this was the Faith No More scene, the guy woulda went AWOL by now and the vid would never surface.....Hopefully this has a different outcome

MrSlfDstruct
08-09-2013, 05:44 PM
Man, if nothing happens with this, starting this thread is a pretty dick move :p

simonn
08-09-2013, 06:05 PM
if this was the Faith No More scene, the guy woulda went AWOL by now and the vid would never surface.....Hopefully this has a different outcome

Please elaborate - big FNM fan here...

billpulsipher
08-09-2013, 08:08 PM
Please elaborate - big FNM fan here... theres a 90 minute pro shot of FNM from their 1991 south America tour..pristine quality..only 1 person has it, he's in Germany and he refuses to let it out...he wouldn't even let the band members have it when they requested it....

theimage13
08-09-2013, 08:15 PM
theres a 90 minute pro shot of FNM from their 1991 south America tour..pristine quality..only 1 person has it, he's in Germany and he refuses to let it out...he wouldn't even let the band members have it when they requested it....

Translation: he lost it and won't admit it. That's my bet, anyway.

piggy
08-09-2013, 10:04 PM
Can someone tell me the history of this Simon Maxwell concert film? From what I'm hearing Trent hired Maxwell to shoot a concert film of the Self Destruct Tour, Trent said "no manches" and then had it recut into Closure?
Essentially. I believe the original plan was to make a full length home video live release that would have been along the lines of Beside You In Time. Trent thought Simon's results were too polished, so he dispensed with everything but "Wish", "Eraser" and "Hurt", which became the live music videos on the second tape/disc of Closure. What wound up on the first tape/disc was completely different footage that was being shot by people (i.e. Jonathan Rach) who were traveling along with the NIN camp at the time. It's not really clear if that footage was being shot all that time with the intention of making a film or if it was just for the sake of making some "home movies".

fuckit
08-09-2013, 10:15 PM
I thought they recorded eraser and hurt before the actual concert to keep audience volume down? I'd be psyched to see a whole other performance of hurt pro shot style.

piggy
08-09-2013, 11:28 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. They must have filmed two performances of each of those songs, I guess.

Ryan
08-09-2013, 11:46 PM
"Got Me A Big Old Dick"

Best title ever.

Merriweather
08-10-2013, 12:00 AM
Please elaborate - big FNM fan here...

Also, a couple years ago a snippet of "The Seagull Song" from the Angel Dust sessions surfaced. Whoever posted it claimed that they had found a demo tape with that song at a garage sale and would share it online. They quickly disappeared.

The band's response was that it shouldn't be released because it wasn't very good in their opinions. Of course during the YouTube interview where they laughed it off, they teased having a HQ version that they could easily release.

Kyle
08-10-2013, 02:31 AM
One of the possibilities listed was Pittsburgh 1994. That was my first NIN show and trust me when I say that I can verify if that was the one because I remember it vividly (and I later found an audio recording that has verified my memories). Two things. 1. Before Closer did he make a speech about this being the closest thing he has to a hometown crowd and 2. Did someone get on stage and yell into the microphone during Dead Souls? If the answer to those is no then it's not Pittsburgh.

That is however the exact set list he played at that show. There are slight variations in different shows on that tour. Some shows got Ruiner, some got The Only Time and a couple got neither. Also some shows have I Do Not Want This as the second to last song and others don't.

Kyle
08-10-2013, 02:35 AM
I hope something is happening behind the scenes and this guy hasn't gone AWOL.

you posted this only 28 hours after he started the thread. A bit soon to start worrying.

simonn
08-10-2013, 03:12 AM
theres a 90 minute pro shot of FNM from their 1991 south America tour..pristine quality..only 1 person has it, he's in Germany and he refuses to let it out...he wouldn't even let the band members have it when they requested it....

He sounds like a dick!

billpulsipher
08-10-2013, 10:53 AM
He sounds like a dick! He's the scourge of the FNM scene lol

trollmanen
08-11-2013, 09:06 AM
That FNO stuff reminds me of the whole Martin Atkins/Pretty Hate Machine demo tape thing a few years ago with the demo versions of Terrible Lie and Sin, which we'll probably never hear now. This guy sounds like he wants to share, especially since it's been so long, but obviously it's not going to happen overnight. I'm sure Matt and Dave will do all they can to get this tape out to us, even if it takes a while. Hell, we've waited this long! I'm just excited about soundboard recordings of some of these songs, especially Mr Self Destruct.

ninedead
08-12-2013, 06:32 PM

great show, would be nice to have footage from this one!!

ryanh92
08-12-2013, 10:39 PM
I've been hoping that a pro shot concert from this tour would eventually surface at some point. thanks in advance to everyone working on getting this out here to all of us. this is why the NIN community is the best on the planet!

Norton Canes
08-16-2013, 08:44 AM
OK, I'm back. Apologies, but August, being August, is full of little inconveniences like family holidays. I can see a lot of you are pretty hyped about this footage, and I don't want to be stringing people along with it. I'm heading into town right now with the VHS (in an attache case cabled to my wrist) to see about getting it converted. After that I'm quite happy to distribute it by whichever means is considered the most quick, efficient and legal. Not sure how long the conversion will take - I guess it won't be while-u-wait - so bear with me again.

I'm just hoping the quality hasn't degraded.

Fred
08-16-2013, 09:37 AM
Distribution will probably never be fully "legal". Someone (probably Interscope) likely still owns the rights to this particular footage. That said, Nine Inch Nails are very unlikely to protest over the release of something like this, so I wouldn't lose sleep over the legality if I were you. Trent himself even shared DVD-quality versions of the Broken Movie and Closure, pro-shot 1080p footage of three 2008 gigs for fans to edit, as well as a 3-disc Greatest Hits collection on The Pirate Bay (which is used by a lot of NIN fans) a couple of years ago. I honestly know few artists as cool and down-to-earth as Trent when it comes to stuff like this. Getting it out on the torrent circuit is most definitely the easiest and most efficient way. And, though it may not be legal per se, it'd also be an inconsequential way for you to do it.

If using The Pirate Bay still doesn't sit right with you (something I fully understand), you'd probably want to get in touch with @RITCNIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141). As far as NIN live recordings go, his site (http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com/) is pretty much the cream of the crop. Your tape would still be well-distributed among NIN fans this way, but attracting less attention than it would on The Pirate Bay. For better or for worse.

theimage13
08-16-2013, 03:21 PM
After that I'm quite happy to distribute it by whichever means is considered the most quick, efficient and legal.

Not a lawyer; can't speak on legal. But for quick and efficient: @RITCNIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141) is who you're looking for. Contact him here, or through the site he runs: http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com/

This will quickly and efficiently lead to the video being available in both direct download and torrent forms (as well as Youtube, most likely) on a well-known (among NIN fans) site that doesn't require anything - not even an email address - in order to access the content there.

edit: yeah, all of that was just said in the post above. Which I probably should have read first, except I was too damn excited to be bothered. So just consider this a second vote; a reinforcement that the aforementioned advice is sound.

Kyle
08-16-2013, 03:24 PM
OK, I'm back. Apologies, but August, being August, is full of little inconveniences like family holidays. I can see a lot of you are pretty hyped about this footage, and I don't want to be stringing people along with it. I'm heading into town right now with the VHS (in an attache case cabled to my wrist) to see about getting it converted. After that I'm quite happy to distribute it by whichever means is considered the most quick, efficient and legal. Not sure how long the conversion will take - I guess it won't be while-u-wait - so bear with me again.

I wish I could like this post more than once.

Max Leo
08-16-2013, 04:34 PM
Thank you so much in advance. :D:D:D

TheRealNs1
08-16-2013, 08:58 PM

Do you accept payment in blowjobs? Out of cash, bought NIN tickets.

nohomo, just want this video.

In other news, we'll probably get this video released before AAISAD bluray.

ItsJustDave
08-16-2013, 10:19 PM
If using The Pirate Bay still doesn't sit right with you (something I fully understand), you'd probably want to get in touch with @RITCNIN (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1141). As far as NIN live recordings go, his site (http://www.reflectinginthechrome.com/) is pretty much the cream of the crop. Your tape would still be well-distributed among NIN fans this way, but attracting less attention than it would on The Pirate Bay. For better or for worse.I'd say the best approach would be to get it into the hands of yourfutureenemy (http://twitter.com/yourfutureenemy). Should the wrong feathers get ruffled, I'd hate to see RITC brought down. YFE on the other hand is just some account on TPB.

Fred
08-17-2013, 01:13 AM
I hadn't considered that TPB user, but yeah, ItsJustDave has a very good point there.

botley
08-20-2013, 10:29 AM
*bump* Any updates to share, Norton Canes (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3253)?

fishtifer
08-23-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm hoping since Levi mentioned this found footage when advertising the ninhotline shirts on Facebook that something is happening with this found concert footage, loved how we got Fragility V1.0 and Coil Unreleased mixes, now this is totally the ultimate find!

kercyx
08-24-2013, 07:25 PM
I simply can't wait for moaaaaar 94 era

Leviathant
08-24-2013, 08:00 PM
I've been talking with the OP behind the scenes - your best recourse right now is patience. Pretend you never saw this, and if it does come out, then get excited.

Kyle
08-25-2013, 01:55 AM
Saw what??

Butterscotch
08-25-2013, 01:59 AM
Saw what??

Yes, exactly.

theimage13
08-25-2013, 05:46 AM
I've been talking with the OP behind the scenes - your best recourse right now is patience. Pretend you never saw this, and if it does come out, then get excited.

The publicist in me is extremely concerned about your choice of words.

Thankfully, my memory sucks. I'll probably forget all about this by the time I've wandered to another thread.

Kyle
08-25-2013, 10:33 AM
The publicist in me is extremely concerned about your choice of words.

Thankfully, my memory sucks. I'll probably forget all about this by the time I've wandered to another thread.

It's the word "if" that mainly concerns me. Hopefully, it will work out, but if not, I'll live.

MrSlfDstruct
08-25-2013, 02:07 PM
Ooh, shit. That doesn't inspire a lot of confidence . . .

TheRealNs1
08-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Do you accept payment in blowjobs?
nohomo, just want this video.

hey OP I fulfilled my end of the bargain now it's your turn.

kercyx
09-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Please tell me we'll see this gem someday...
I was really looking forward to listen to it

ninja77
09-05-2013, 07:23 PM
If it is indeed the full Maxwell footage... well, WOW. I've always wanted to see this, and there has always been a considerable gap in the history of "Closure". The story goes that Trent was dissatisfied with the quality of the supposedly too polished pro-shot material in "Closure", and that he subsequently went with a rawer, "audience POV" style for "And All That Could Have Been".

This story has always made me go "WTF". Yeah, yeah, the music videos for "Eraser", "Hurt" and "Wish" are definitely squeaky clean, but the rest of the live footage on "Closure" is deliberately shitty, with stuff shot on old film stock, off CRT TVs and whatnot. Why would Trent find that footage too clean? Did he want every NIN live video to look like it was flushed into a toilet or what?

The story makes a lot more sense now. Of course Maxwell shot more and of course it's this footage Trent was dissatisfied with because of its look and feel. But wow, do I want to see this. The aesthetic on "Closure" was cool for a while, but ten years after the fact, it becomes disappointing that Trent's infatuation with rougher art ensured that we have almost no live footage from this era that doesn't look like crap. This could bridge a huge gap. I so badly want to see it.

My feelings exactly, Fred. I've been a fan since senior year of high school in '94 and although they played in Milwaukee several times on the SD/FDTS touring cycle, I didn't have the means to see them live at the time, especially since I live in Green Bay. I've seen "Closure" dozens of times since then and I've watched a few audience-shot bootlegs on YouTube, but it always felt like something was missing and for almost 20 years I had to mostly rely on crappy bootlegs and second-hand accounts of the shows to get a good sense of what the NIN live experience was about in the mid 90s. You're right - the shelved Maxwell film would definitely close a huge gap in NIN history. I'm almost surprised that Trent hasn't leaked it himself by now since it was as important (or maybe more) to NIN history as the Broken movie, and he seemed to have been over the obsession with rougher art when he released BYIT on DVD and Blu-Ray. I've been wanting to see this since I read about it on an old NIN FAQ back in the mid 90s.

Kevin Carafa
09-06-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm just wondering why footage from handheld consumer cameras is in film tins. It's not even film...

Fred
09-06-2013, 09:34 AM
I think you're mixing things up, Kevin. The Self-Destruct era live videos Norton is in possession of definitely weren't shot with consumer cameras, but most likely on film.

However, the official live DVD And All That Could Have Been, which documented one of the Fragility tours, was shot with handheld consumer camcorders by Rob Sheridan and a spontaneously put-together camera crew.

screwdriver
09-06-2013, 10:43 AM

I can't believe you just got through that without a "soon" joke

tony.parente
09-06-2013, 11:23 AM
I can't believe you just got through that without a "soon" joke

The lack of a "soon" joke makes me think this thing isn't going to see the light any time "soon".

:/

ninja77
09-06-2013, 04:10 PM
I think you're mixing things up, Kevin. The Self-Destruct era live videos Norton is in possession of definitely weren't shot with consumer cameras, but most likely on film.

As mentioned before, the footage in question was apparently shot at the 2/11/95 Dallas and 2/13/95 Omaha shows at the end of the tour. According to an old NIN FAQ dating back to the early 90s, Sean Beavan said that an additional show was recorded on 2/14/95 in St. Louis, with the intent of releasing a live album as a companion to the concert movie. I also remember reading that before indefinitely shelving the project, the NIN camp was even considering a theatrical release for the movie.

I've read a number of different reasons that Trent wasn't satisfied with the film over the years - one was that it looked too professional, I think the example given was that it looked too much like a Bon Jovi HBO special. Another reason was that the show had to be lit differently in order to effectively capture it on film, and the alternate lighting scheme wasn't representative of how other dates on the tour looked. My thought is if it was to be shelved and forgotten forever, why did Trent let that time-stamped clip of Mr. Self Destruct leak out on the Closure DVD bonus features?

If the reason that the Closure DVD and Broken movie leaks happened was to get around legal issues with one John A. Malm, Jr., perhaps the reason the whole Maxwell project hasn't already been leaked is due to rights issues or something beyond even the NIN camp's control. After all, the Broken movie was never intended for release, but it got out.

A side note: Has anyone else noticed that the video clip of "Hurt" on Closure is an alternate cut from what was originally shown on MTV? Just a thought.

Fred
09-07-2013, 02:37 AM
My thought is if it was to be shelved and forgotten forever, why did Trent let that time-stamped clip of Mr. Self Destruct leak out on the Closure DVD bonus features?

Probably because he could. It's easy for 1995 Trent to say something should be shelved and forgotten forever, but 2005 Trent would not neccessarily agree. The Closure DVD features a metric fuckton of stuff no one was really ever meant to see. Behind the scenes footage for the Hurt video and the scrapped March of the Pigs video spring to mind.

Of course, as you point out in the rest of your post, rights issues may factor into it. But we already know Trent is pretty lenient with those. And, indeed, he hasn't been prosecuted for leaking The Broken Movie and Closure as far as I know. As for not leaking the whole thing, maybe he just wants to be about now rather than about then. He talks a lot about being in doubt about his relevance as an artist, so I can't imagine him ever kicking back and deciding to release all the shit from the vaults and resting on his laurels forevermore.

Plus, we don't know how finished the edit was. Norton might have a rough cut. Transferring the original film into digital space, restoring it and getting a new edit together would be quite time-consuming and expensive as fuck. So if that's neccessary for us to ever see a release from Trent, I see why he doesn't want to bother.

Ryan
09-07-2013, 04:39 AM
Fred, you make my willy tingle.

Fred
09-07-2013, 05:56 AM
Thanks; I sure hope it pays off that I'm doing so much yammering about something that may never come out :p

billpulsipher
09-07-2013, 11:25 AM
converting from a VHS to dvd would only take a couple hours....one month later and nothing has happened, doesn't bode well

Conan The Barbarian
09-07-2013, 11:46 AM
Wonder if this is the surprise that ritc is teasing

Kyle
09-07-2013, 12:17 PM
I thought that as soon as I saw the tease but didn't say anything because I didn't want to get anyone's (myself included) hopes up.

Tomp252
09-11-2013, 02:22 PM
That would be amazing

theimage13
09-11-2013, 03:03 PM

Say what now? Didn't even know they were teasing a surprise...guessing I'm just blind here.

Tomp252
09-11-2013, 03:25 PM
Say what now? Didn't even know they were teasing a surprise...guessing I'm just blind here.
Ritc tweeted that there will be a surprise tomorrow at 8 am. I'm pretty sure he said it wasn't going to be the htda Chicago show. We'll see

The Great Destroyer
09-11-2013, 03:31 PM
Whatever happened to the pro-shot Wave Goodbye footage? NIN only released those 2 clips as a holiday suprise...

nineismine
09-11-2013, 03:54 PM
hey OP I fulfilled my end of the bargain now it's your turn.
So about that time when I told you It was me who started this thread and I had the video.....

TheBang
09-11-2013, 04:14 PM
Whatever happened to the pro-shot Wave Goodbye footage? NIN only released those 2 clips as a holiday suprise...
https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/370587127597105152

The Great Destroyer
09-11-2013, 04:31 PM
https://twitter.com/rob_sheridan/status/370587127597105152

Nooooooooo

theimage13
09-11-2013, 05:38 PM
So about that time when I told you It was me who started this thread and I had the video.....

Translation: we'll probably never see it. Or maybe some day, seed0 will have another ridiculously large upload to everyone's favorite torrent site on Christmas morning.

dlb
09-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Patience is a virtue! This is only dead to me, when someone I believe says it's dead!

Of course this would blow my mind right now with the onslaught of amazing NIN stuff the last two months! :)

slave2thewage
09-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Oh, Bill. You're my favourite Negative Nancy on here.

Kyle
09-12-2013, 12:52 PM
I don't think it will never happen. Just not anytime soon unfortunately.

slave2thewage
09-12-2013, 12:56 PM
I don't get why everyone is thinking that we're never going to see this. It's only been a month since we found out about it.

Kyle
09-12-2013, 12:59 PM
I don't get why everyone is thinking that we're never going to see this. It's only been a month since we found out about it.
The wording of an earlier post, in particular (for me at least) the use of the word "if".

Tomp252
09-12-2013, 01:03 PM
I think we'll get it within the next couple months. Video and audio. Just a guess

Kyle
09-12-2013, 02:19 PM
I'm hoping since Levi mentioned this found footage when advertising the ninhotline shirts on Facebook that something is happening with this found concert footage, loved how we got Fragility V1.0 and Coil Unreleased mixes, now this is totally the ultimate find!
What exactly did he say?

fishtifer
09-13-2013, 12:51 AM
It was something like "thanks for reading about theninhotline shirts, now back to nin news and some newly found pro shot footage from '95, say whaaa..." Levi wants us to forget about this for now, so let's do that as painful as it is. I'm now looking more forward to this release than The Fragile Remaster!

Fred
09-13-2013, 01:49 AM
I don't want to be negative. It's not like we're missing gratification these days. If it comes out, cool. If it doesn't, sucks. I don't really believe in the latter scenario, though. No matter how long we have to wait.

theimage13
09-13-2013, 07:34 AM
I don't get why everyone is thinking that we're never going to see this.

I'm guessing it has something to do with this...

sore_and_crucified
09-13-2013, 03:16 PM
"Hey, here's a million in a suitcase, forget about it for now, you may one day have it, earn it and spend it".

This footage really would be next level!

frankie teardrop
09-13-2013, 03:24 PM
you guys are forgetting the patient part. just let it go for now and hope for the best. no need to keep whining about it, right?

Kyle
09-13-2013, 03:30 PM
What is this patient thing of which you speak?!?!?!?

Little_Dreamer
09-13-2013, 04:01 PM
What is this patient thing of which you speak?!?!?!?

It's a virtue, apparently ;)
Anyway, since this is my favourite era, it's very hard to be patient.

billpulsipher
10-01-2013, 04:34 PM
I guess this is gone forever

frankie teardrop
10-01-2013, 04:40 PM
now you're just whining and being an impatient, nagging ass. we're going in circles here with these posts and i hate that i even have to look at it again. mods, if you could lock this until there's actually something to announce, that'd be super duper.

Leviathant
10-01-2013, 07:39 PM
Consider it done.

Norton Canes
04-06-2022, 04:21 PM
Sorry, it's been a while (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2013-What-s-this-concert-footage)...

Nine Inch Nails in concert 1995 (https://youtu.be/Oa1fMNxKl4s)

Directed and edited by Simon Maxwell

botley
04-06-2022, 04:25 PM
Fuck yeah!

fillow
04-06-2022, 04:27 PM
Is this the real life? Is it just fantasy?

otnavuskire
04-06-2022, 04:40 PM
This day is just full of unexpected and welcome surprises, between the Boston Calling announcement and now this!

ninlive
04-06-2022, 04:50 PM
Wow… insane.

Any info on the transfer method and potentially having this preserved on the live archive?

buckaroo
04-06-2022, 05:04 PM
Thank you. Thank you so much.

sweeterthan
04-06-2022, 05:30 PM
Sorry, it's been a while (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/2013-What-s-this-concert-footage)...

hey. i posted this to the hotline twitter. thanks so much. https://twitter.com/ninhotline/status/1511832151498661903?s=21&t=helXN0gFn8O3PxAOs5QtBw

ryanmcfly
04-06-2022, 05:33 PM
Mother of god

gorast
04-06-2022, 06:04 PM
Holy shit lmfao. This is awesome.

Leviathant
04-06-2022, 06:18 PM
Well folks, I think it's time to reopen the thread.

FULLMETAL
04-06-2022, 06:29 PM
Fuck yeah & thank you!!

Here's a great interview with Simon that has some amazing detail about the first post in this thread:
https://pantograph-punch.com/posts/interview-with-simon-maxwell

henryeatscereal
04-06-2022, 06:30 PM
As soon as "Pinion" hits, i got a hard-on!

ponch
04-06-2022, 06:38 PM

https://i.imgur.com/wwcRU0N.png

piggy
04-06-2022, 06:51 PM
Oh em motherfucking gee.

Papagolash
04-06-2022, 06:54 PM
ahhhhhhhHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am losing my absolute fucking shit right now! This is like the holy grail of NIN footage, it's hard to comprehend that it's actually out and that in a few minutes I'm going to watch a professionally shot show from the motherfucking Self Destruct tour, something I have dreamt about after watching Closure for the 1st time. I knew then there was a whole show professionally filmed, then we got another tease of it when the Closure Appendage dvd footage came out. The fact that ninlive existed (reflectinginthechrome back then) and tapes were beginning to surface gave me hope that maybe one day this would actually get released. Then this thread happened and it was a kick to the balls. Still held out hope but I pretty much accepted that we would never see this.

Whoever is involved in releasing this, thank you. This has been such a shitty year, and the last 48 hours have pretty rough for me, I so needed this. I'm sitting here crying from the joy I'm about to experience, I'm about to watch a full proshot show from 95, holy fuck. I cannot believe it got released, I am a ball of emotion. What can top this?

Leviathant
04-06-2022, 06:57 PM
converting from a VHS to dvd would only take a couple hours....one month later and nothing has happened, doesn't bode well

p.s. fuck you I was right and you were wrong

snichols
04-06-2022, 07:05 PM
Oh man this is better than expected.

Pyract
04-06-2022, 07:07 PM
p.s. fuck you I was right and you were wrong
That's been a long time coming, and it feels great.

snichols
04-06-2022, 07:09 PM
Happiness is explosive, and I Do not want this is mind blowing.

tricil
04-06-2022, 07:34 PM
holy fuck

BRoswell
04-06-2022, 07:36 PM
Fantastic stuff, although I can kind of see why Trent was maybe not too eager to release it. I think he wanted to present something that was rawer, and this feels a little too polished at times.

m0reta
04-06-2022, 08:38 PM
Oh man! The closest I'll get to a recording of my first NIN show. *cries*

Disassociative
04-06-2022, 09:38 PM
Holy shit it’s here. Massive thank you to everyone involved in getting this up for everyone to see.

halo_nothing
04-06-2022, 10:11 PM
Out of nowhere.. Holy shit!

Disassociative
04-06-2022, 11:09 PM
Happiness in Slavery…. Holy shit haha. I’ve seen the audience shot footage but this is wild. Shame about the vocals though - does it look like his mic cut out or he stopped singing…?

alfonso99
04-06-2022, 11:53 PM
I knew this day was going to come, I just wasn't expecting it this soon (and I'm aware is not soon at all, but NIN soon).

For me this is really a closure for a lot of things. I just finished watching it and I don't know why i feel at peace.

I wouldn't have used the in between songs footage and for sure wouldn't have almost muted the crowd as it sounds sometimes, but his is fucking FANTASTIC!

Thanks Norton Canes and whoever else helped the dark force from internet to release this in its entirety. I'm pretty sure you're not aware the impact you just had on a bunch of crazy people.

Fred
04-07-2022, 12:40 AM
Oh my God. I'd all but forgotten about this. Fantastic job - thank you so much for releasing this into the wild to all involved. It looks and sounds fantastic.

And fuck you wherever you are, billpulsipher.

Happiness in Slavery…. Holy shit haha. I’ve seen the audience shot footage but this is wild. Shame about the vocals though - does it look like his mic cut out or he stopped singing…?

I can hear Trent faintly at times before the vocal comes back. The mic probably broke. Of no surprise to Trent himself, I'm sure.

Fadeout54321
04-07-2022, 05:23 AM
Here's a great interview with Simon that has some amazing detail about the first post in this thread:

The video is obviously fantastic but this article...holy shit is it good. There is also a video in there I hadn't seen before from the filming of the Hurt video. Thanks for posting this link FULLMETAL!!

Lerxto
04-07-2022, 05:26 AM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/549112665298173964/961572607969345547/Nine_Inch_Nails_in_concert_1995.gif

What about it, fuckers? Yeah?

Lerxto
04-07-2022, 06:29 AM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/549112665298173964/961590814734176306/Nine_Inch_Nails_in_concert_1995.gif

Tweaked the audio just a little bit (mostly volume gain) for my convenience. Tagged with artwork.

(link gone)

mauro995
04-07-2022, 07:02 AM
The fact that this footage existed and didn't see the light of day for so many years is incredible. The quality is pretty good and at the moment I'm really enjoying watching it, but I can't help but think that if we had access to the original file we could work on it to "remaster" it in some way.

The video could get a little color correction to reverse the degradation and it might even be a good opportunity to implement Rob Sheridan's advice on upscaling AATCHB to have a 1080p version or even 4K if the results were good enough.

As for the audio it sounds a bit dry at times, if we could locate the date of the concert and there was some taper audio avaliable it could be used to add some more crowd noise at certain times or even do a surround mix if someone has the skills.

Erneuert
04-07-2022, 07:09 AM
It just makes you wonder what else is yet to float to the surface. This is incredible.

I only made a comment the other day about another show and how awesome the set list was, with Hurt in the middle and IDNWT closing the show. Then this appears not two or three days later. Utterly gobsmacked!

This is like… Closure (Version) (Version)

fillow
04-07-2022, 07:44 AM
Confirming what I always suspected: Wish official live video is basically an outtake from this film. It's a different edit on the overall, but many cuts/shots match 1:1, and I think audio is also a match

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu-_44Lf3Cw

Not the same with Eraser though. Pretty sure it's a different audio, and video cuts only match occasionally, on TR closeups. Very few matching shots:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVuOX4fUBOQ

Hurt appears to be also very different. I only went closely though 1 minute, but found no matching footage at all. And obviously audio is different (wasn't Hurt actually taped at the soundcheck? The version that ended up in the video and on FDTS v2)

EvilGobi
04-07-2022, 08:01 AM
It seems to have been copyright claimed, is there anywhere else to watch it?

hellospaceboy
04-07-2022, 08:04 AM
It seems to have been copyright claimed, is there anywhere else to watch it?

I second this question, I missed it :(

botley
04-07-2022, 08:05 AM
Confirming what I always suspected: Wish official live video is basically an outtake from this film. It's a different edit on the overall, but many cuts/shots match 1:1, and I think audio is also a match
That fits with what the interviews with Simon Maxwell said, about certain songs meeting TR's approval and others not so much. The version of "Mr. Self Destruct" on Closure — Appendage is also the same audio but obviously a shorter edit.

Not the same with Eraser though. Pretty sure it's a different audio, and video cuts only match occasionally, on TR closeups. Very few matching shots

Hurt appears to be also very different. I only went closely though 1 minute, but found no matching footage at all. On obviously audio is different (wasn't Hurt actually taped at the soundcheck? The version that ended up in the video and on FDTS v2)
I seem to remember reading on the old alt.music.nin FAQ that they filmed a special pre-concert performance to capture the "Eraser"/"Hurt" sequence with a smaller, less rowdy audience.

EDIT: no linky right now

sweeterthan
04-07-2022, 08:07 AM
boooooo i’m mad it’s gone already. copyright for something never fucking released?

TheBang
04-07-2022, 08:10 AM
OK, so I've looked at this (not completely yet) and found some interesting things (Edit: to which fillow beat me):

First, as I (and probably many others) suspected, the Eraser (Live) and Wish (Live) music videos on Closure came from this concert film footage. However, the edits are different. So different, that I'd say only about 50% of the shots match up. For example, in Wish in this long concert film, Simon often featured a lot of close-up shots of Chris, Robin, and Danny, and the audience. The Closure edit doesn't feature those as much, preferring to linger on wider shots longer.

Hurt (Live) already had 2 edits, the original MTV broadcast edit, and the Closure edit. There is yet another edit in this film. It features a lot of the same footage, but also a lot of different cuts and angles too. It also doesn't use the same audio as the music videos.

The Mr. Self-Destruct footage in the Closure Appendage is exactly the same as what is in this film. I think we can take that to mean that Trent has a copy of this film as it appears here in his vaults.

I'm not sure what to make of the different edits for the other videos above in Closure. Maybe they are the alternate edits that Sleazy worked on (that the OP mentioned) after Simon finished the project.

Disassociative
04-07-2022, 08:26 AM
I managed to rip it before it went down - file I have is 720p25fps according to windows and is around 800mb. Happy to put it somewhere but have to wait on my Australian potatonet upload speed. It's currently trickling onto my Onedrive, 1MB/s at a time...

fillow
04-07-2022, 08:32 AM
I saved it too, can upload somewhere later today or tomorrow. EDIT: Disassociative beat me to it on the next page. My saved version was the same, 811 MB

Actually I'm pretty confident most copyright claims on youtube can be battled with fair use claims, if you're not gonna monetize. At least I did it with NIN and Muse footage/audio multiple times.

jmtd
04-07-2022, 08:33 AM
That would be awesome. Thank you @botley (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) for sharing what you saved so quick. It's at 480x360 so anyone who grabbed bigger and can share, wins today's Internet points!

When I saw the message I immediately bounced the browser tab from my phone to my desktop and by the time I walked upstairs it was gone.

Norton Canes
04-07-2022, 08:33 AM
Hi people

First of all, big apologies again for waiting nine years before making good on this. Life stuff happened, I'm afraid, and it just got forgotten.

Secondly, though, great to see you all buzzing off it now it's finally out there.

Except it isn't, of course, following a copyright takedown from Kobalt Music Publishing. Obviously not sure exactly why they've done it but I'll send them a polite retraction request, see what they say and go from there.

In the meantime I've still got the VHS rip file which I really want to upload to mega.nz but I'm just going to talk to someone in the know first about any further potential copyright pitfalls. Hopefully it will be there soon (sooner than nine years, anyway!)

I guess it would also be good to get it over to The NIN Live Archives (https://www.ninlive.com/)?

jmtd
04-07-2022, 08:35 AM
I guess it would also be good to get it over to The NIN Live Archives (https://www.ninlive.com/)?

Paging ninlive

Disassociative
04-07-2022, 08:42 AM
Quickly before the copyright demon strikes - 720p

I switched to my phones 5G to get it out faster haha

Edit: have hidden the link because it ended up elsewhere and got flagged for too many downloads by by the looks of it. PM me and I'll see what I can do. Have also reuploaded the ZIP of the audio.

ninlive
04-07-2022, 08:43 AM
Hi @Norton Canes (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=3253)! Yes please get in contact. I would love to host it properly :) Maybe even talk shop on the transfer. Looks great.

mauro995
04-07-2022, 08:44 AM
I also saved a 720 / 25fps version but won't be able to upload it until a couple hours. Of course it would be better to have the original VHS rip file without the crappy YouTube compression.

Deacon Blackfire
04-07-2022, 08:50 AM

Thank you so much!

The NIN community is so wildly awesome - a massive thank you to the industrious people who helped this amazing content see the light of day.

Papagolash
04-07-2022, 08:53 AM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/549112665298173964/961572607969345547/Nine_Inch_Nails_in_concert_1995.gif

What about it, fuckers? Yeah?

Gotta make one of Trent humping keyboard

TheBang
04-07-2022, 09:18 AM
Not the same with Eraser though. Pretty sure it's a different audio, and video cuts only match occasionally, on TR closeups. Very few matching shots:
You're right. It's different audio for Eraser. I didn't catch that at first, because I was watching one of my TV and one on my iPad, rather than comparing on my computer. The video, however, appears to be from the same shoots. You can tell (especially at the end during the yelling) that a lot of the shots are just different angles, because the band's actions/movements match in both angles, and so it's just a different edit of all the Simon Maxwell footage.

As an aside, the original broadcast edit of Hurt (Live) doesn't exist on YouTube or other online video platforms anymore. I spent a long time looking for it and couldn't find it. Everything is the Closure edit. The one copy of it that was on YouTube (linked on NIN Wiki (https://www.nin.wiki/Hurt_(song)#External_Links)) was deleted at some point. I ended up having to dig through my hard drive where I finally found an old copy from nin.com. It was either that or dig out my TDS DualDisc, which I didn't want to do.

EvilGobi
04-07-2022, 09:32 AM

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eyjclmvaFlR5PiEGLaObuBMBF-tngonH/view?usp=sharing

I switched to my phones 5G to get it out faster haha

Thanks, I'm super-excited to watch it. Unfortunately, I gotta do a bunch of errands then go to work so it'll prob be a couple days before I can sit down and actually get to it. From the few seconds I checked out after downloading, this looks insane. Thank's to everyone involved.

Disassociative
04-07-2022, 09:34 AM
Thanks, I'm super-excited to watch it. Unfortunately, I gotta do a bunch of errands then go to work so it'll prob be a couple days before I can sit down and actually get to it. From the few seconds I checked out after downloading, this looks insane. Thank's to everyone involved.

We’ve technically been waiting since 1995 for this. What’s a few more days? :P

Pyract
04-07-2022, 09:49 AM
Here are the tracked audio files, in case you want them.
Tweaked the audio just a little bit (mostly volume gain) for my convenience. Tagged with artwork.
Link expires in 7 days.

https://we.tl/t-YAGUjH8bzu

Thanks for doing this! If anyone's interested, here's the art Russell Mills designed for the canceled live album:
https://nindestruct.com/photos/large/nin_mills_05.jpg

(Download link removed)

SM Rollinger
04-07-2022, 09:57 AM
This is awesome thanks guys!!

roolfdriht
04-07-2022, 10:03 AM
Random thought: I'm SO glad my parents had no easy way to perform diligence on the GA situation for this tour. Seeing these crowd shots makes me wonder how my 13 year old self made it through one of these show a few bodies from the rail without a concussion (or worse). I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but as a parent now, I can't help cringing ;)

Disassociative
04-07-2022, 11:45 AM
I was watching this at work earlier today, that woman flashing her boobs was unexpected.

botley
04-07-2022, 11:54 AM
I was watching this at work earlier today, that woman flashing her boobs was unexpected.
Which one?

Disassociative
04-07-2022, 11:58 AM
Which one?

Well now I’m slightly more worried about what people saw as they walked past lol
oh well that’s what I get for multitasking

Erneuert
04-07-2022, 11:59 AM
Thanks for doing this! If anyone's interested, here's the art Russell Mills designed for the canceled live album:
https://nindestruct.com/photos/large/nin_mills_05.jpg

Another YouTube rip download link in case the others go down:
http://www.nindestruct.com/videos/Nine%20Inch%20Nails%20in%20concert%201995.mp4

Wow, I didn’t know Russell Mills had made a cover for it. Was it just that without any text or title?

Pyract
04-07-2022, 12:04 PM
Wow, I didn’t know Russell Mills had made a cover for it. Was it just that without any text or title?

No text, just the art. I grabbed it from his website ages ago.

Disassociative
04-07-2022, 12:22 PM

http://www.permanence.de/millscat/nin/index.html If you’re curious

ekrekel
04-07-2022, 12:43 PM
Gotta make one of Trent humping keyboard

Keyboard, Danny. Potato, Potato.

Erneuert
04-07-2022, 01:03 PM
http://www.permanence.de/millscat/nin/index.html If you’re curious

Hmm… looks mirrored and the hues altered compared to the one posted above: http://www.permanence.de/millscat/nin/spiral_revolve.jpg

Disassociative
04-07-2022, 01:11 PM
Hmm… looks mirrored and the hues altered compared to the one posted above: http://www.permanence.de/millscat/nin/spiral_revolve.jpg

interesting. That one looks to be a clearer scan at the very least. I was mainly just posting that other thing to show off all the artwork from that set - grabbed the link off ninwiki :/

arsenic
04-07-2022, 01:39 PM
Amazing, I still remember reading about this and getting hyped. I just finished watching it and OMG. A massive thank you Norton Canes .

It's mind-blowing that this was shot in both 35mm and 16mm. It's unfortunate that this project got scrapped from the beginning because imagine scanning and re-editing it today in 4K.. holy shit this would be ridicolously clear and detailed, even more than the legendary Woodstock 1994 HD footage that might still be out there. If this live album was scrapped because at the time it was considered too polished I can totally see why.

Let's hope that the original tapes weren't destroyed in the 2008 Universal Studio fire. You know, maybe, one day..

Arkadin
04-07-2022, 01:47 PM
I'm guessing that, if TR vetoed its release before, he probably would rather this edit not be available now--though I doubt he cares enough to ask that it be taken down, as long as no one is trying to make money off of it.

But the #1 question I would have for TR is, do those original 35mm film elements of the tour still exist in storage somewhere?

If so, there could be a phenomenal release of an edit of that footage, if financing could be cobbled together. That's a big if--doing a 4k scan of all that 35mm film wouldn't be cheap, and then there is the work after that. Probably the best bet would be a deal with one of the streaming services. And if I'm that service, I'm also interested in a feature length documentary--music documentaries are all the rage lately, though many of them are just hagiographies.

mauro995
04-07-2022, 02:03 PM

This is most likely the reason the video has been blocked in YouTube.

Toadflax
04-07-2022, 02:16 PM
So awesome and so weird to watch a brand new concert film from almost 30 years ago. It's like the proshot NIN/Bowie footage but without the crazy frenetic editing.

It may be too soon to start this discussion, but since the audio clearly never went through a final mixing process on this, I wonder if ninlive has better quality audio of these performances. If so, maybe we could collectively work on synching it to the video?

paul_guyet
04-07-2022, 02:32 PM
First off, I'm wet. Tears, jizz, etc.

Second though, I thought Maxwell had lost this. Or it was destroyed or stolen? Am I misremembering?

botley
04-07-2022, 03:50 PM
First off, I'm wet. Tears, jizz, etc.

Second though, I thought Maxwell had lost this. Or it was destroyed or stolen? Am I misremembering?

Apparently all (or most?) of the 8mm footage went missing. Dunno if the 35mm negatives still exist anywhere...

Leviathant
04-07-2022, 04:17 PM
So, something to keep in mind, given the sometimes lax enforcement around things like live recordings, promo videos, and other 'official' things: This was a project that was funded by Interscope (i.e. Universal), which they undoubtedly invested a decent amount of cash into, and which the end result was to deliberately shelve it. It's out in the wild, it's really amazing to see, but unless you want to mess around with Universal Music Group, you would be wise not to share public links.

The fact that a bunch of other promo and bootleg stuff is floating around should probably always be taken as a semi-deliberate oversight, sort of like how brown bags work hand in hand with open bottle laws in the states (technically, you can't drink in public in most municipalities, but if you're drinking out of a brown bag, the cops probably don't want to bother), but when it comes to something like this, it's kind of in a different, more sticky category.

Not here to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but you know I only fly this kind of message up the flagpole for everyone's benefit.

botley
04-07-2022, 04:23 PM
^ Point taken and links duly edited.

fillow
04-07-2022, 06:26 PM
So, unless the audio part of this film was stitched from several shows, I'm confident there's no audience recording of this gig in circulation. Also no match with that random Gave Up sbd recording from some 90s compilation.

buckaroo
04-07-2022, 09:00 PM
That was quick. PM with the audio rip?

Shadaloo
04-07-2022, 10:38 PM
Likewise. I don't check the NIN forum for one goddamn day...

paul_guyet
04-07-2022, 11:13 PM
Goddamn, that might be one of my favorite performances of 'Gave Up' fucking EVER.

Erneuert
04-07-2022, 11:21 PM
teitan, does it look better in retrospect?

Disassociative
04-08-2022, 12:13 AM
Sorry I won’t have access to my copies of the audio files until I get home from work tonight. Which by then some of you might be in bed or something. Ahh timezones haha

Paul
04-08-2022, 12:26 AM
Wow guys, just wow. Blown away. This is just the pick me up I needed, lately. Seriously.

Thank god for NIN. Thank god for NIN fans. Thank god for other people still caring this much for something I still care this much about.

reseen_lamenti
04-08-2022, 02:30 AM
keen on an audio rip plz

Fred
04-08-2022, 03:23 AM
So, unless the audio part of this film was stitched from several shows, I'm confident there's no audience recording of this gig in circulation. Also no match with that random Gave Up sbd recording from some 90s compilation.

Probably multiple shows, judging from this (https://pantograph-punch.com/posts/interview-with-simon-maxwell) interview:

I shot the whole tour, the tour across the States. I had masses of footage. We shot it in New York, and all over the place. Places I can’t even remember. We had miles and miles of 35mm footage of him performing and all sorts of things. And then we went back to Madison Square garden and shot it all again.

Assuming he's not misrembering the last bit, this may be from the FDTS tour leg in late 1994 rather than 1995, and that would make the two MSG shows in December 1994 the best places to start hunting:

https://ninlive.com/shows/1994/19941208.html
https://ninlive.com/shows/1994/19941209.html

Disassociative
04-08-2022, 03:34 AM
So this leaves Heresy and Ruiner as the only TDS songs we don’t have a 1994/1995 soundboard recording of now doesn’t it?

edit: oh and A Warm Place - but that was never performed back then as far as I’m aware. I’m stoked we have this recording of IDNWT though. It’s so… raw.

sweeterthan
04-08-2022, 07:15 AM
are they waiting for Reznor to die to cash in on this? that’s the only thing i can think of as to why they’re claiming copyright for something that was never gonna get released. usually i have a less bratty outlook on these type of situations but i honestly thought no one would care about this but us.

Swykk
04-08-2022, 07:26 AM
Count me amongst those who would truly appreciate the audio.

Please and thank you.

trollmanen
04-08-2022, 08:24 AM
are they waiting for Reznor to die to cash in on this? that’s the only thing i can think of as to why they’re claiming copyright for something that was never gonna get released. usually i have a less bratty outlook on these type of situations but i honestly thought no one would care about this but us.

I got the impression it was taken down because Wish and Eraser are basically the same as the music videos, so that's where the clear copyright claim is. I think there are algorithms that scan for stuff like that, so maybe that's what happened. I really doubt TR pulled the trigger himself, given the amount of things that have leaked over the years that he's ignored.

I'm guessing this is the best we're going to get, which is fine with me. I don't think this is ever going to get officially released, cause if it was, they would have done it with that Closure DVD in 2004. If you watch the whole thing, it's clear it's not a final copy, most of TR's vocals during Happiness In Slavery are inaudible, some moments in other songs too, so the mix on this was probably a temp one. Once we get a better rip, hopefully someone can do a matrix on the audio, make a DVD out of it. Hell, I'd try to do it.

It's crazy how clear the pre-recorded vocals in I Do Not Want This are on this video, it sounds cleaner than on the album version.

hellospaceboy
04-08-2022, 09:50 AM

This is an excellent interview and it's kinda surreal to have this thread come up so directly!

Disassociative
04-08-2022, 10:01 AM
It seems my link floated to reddit and now got flagged for too many downloads lol I've uploaded the audio send me a message and I'll respond when I can I'll have to deal with the video another time (Unless the original uploader has sorted something else or someone else can take up the mantle as temporary sharer)

BRoswell
04-08-2022, 10:10 AM
Can someone make a loop of Trent humping the keyboard during Happiness In Slavery? I need it...for reasons.

Callahan
04-08-2022, 11:33 AM
oh man...This has to get hosted somewhere and preserved! I didn't catch it in time - hope OP and ninlive are able to sort this out!

Papagolash
04-08-2022, 02:21 PM
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/549112665298173964/961590814734176306/Nine_Inch_Nails_in_concert_1995.gif

(link gone)

If anyone is looking for Lerxto's rip of the audio, DM me.

sweeterthan
04-08-2022, 02:42 PM
“you don’t get it, do you?” [emoji7]

this video’s set list is only one song off from my first nin show in atlanta in 1995.

https://www.nin.wiki/1995/01/24_Atlanta,_GA

TheBang
04-08-2022, 04:11 PM
Can someone make a loop of Trent humping the keyboard during Happiness In Slavery? I need it...for reasons.
https://i.imgur.com/5778gq7.gif

TheBang
04-08-2022, 04:28 PM
Assuming he's not misrembering the last bit, this may be from the FDTS tour leg in late 1994 rather than 1995, and that would make the two MSG shows in December 1994 the best places to start hunting:
I'm leaning on the side of Simon misremembering. All of the shots of the keyboard player are Charlie (short hair), not James (long hair), which means they had to be shot in 1995, not 1994. And the audio matches up with the video a lot of the time (like when Trent is hitting the microphone against his head), so I think the audio and most of the video has to be from 1995.

Edit: I did a bit of review of a.m.nin posts from the whole tour, and there are many, many mentions of all the cameras and filming at the Dallas and Omaha shows (Feb. 11 and Feb. 13):

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/1rUM85VmRgY/m/ZCyaoGMOU1QJ
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/2HZooZA25GA/m/zu3BgVgMJ64J
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/CSUfyqEW81M/m/tKbsnWWrRW8J
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/zZDB6ne_gEM/m/XcjngQTJ8ZAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/dxaCvHuTeaM/m/g0T8ZQLUR6AJ

And there are no mentions of extensive filming for any other dates on the tour. There was one post from someone who talked to Sean Beavan (doing FOH sound engineering at the time) who said they did video recording at most of the shows "for Trent's personal viewing pleasure", but I got the impression that it was just informal handheld recording stuff. Things like all the insert shots in this film of people being escorted out of the venue.

So, my opinion is that that majority of the footage in this film came from the Dallas and Omaha shows. And the audio too. Unfortunately, there are no audience recordings for either night, so there's no way to verify it that way.

There is this repeated Dallas anecdote about Trent humping the keyboard during HiS, and straddling the mic stand during Closer:
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/KqP1UqpuY5c/m/KtLUSvI8kKUJ
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/30N5bEGFl8Y/m/7ioaZrTko9sJ

So, while I'm sure it's not the only time Trent has humped a keyboard, it does lend credence to the HiS footage in this film being from Dallas. And since he doesn't straddle the mic during Closer in this film, that footage might be from Omaha.

SM Rollinger
04-08-2022, 05:35 PM
Making sweet love to that DX7, awesome

LOVEANDZOMBIES
04-08-2022, 06:44 PM
I missed this whole thing by a day. The DL links I could find are 720p. Is that that as high as the original was? Is there any difference from the ones linked floating around in this thread?

otnavuskire
04-08-2022, 07:03 PM
I missed this whole thing by a day. The DL links I could find are 720p. Is that that as high as the original was? Is there any difference from the ones linked floating around in this thread?

It was a VHS rip so even if the actual video resolution was 720p, the quality was still lower. That being said for a VHS rip the quality is outstanding.

TheBang
04-08-2022, 07:26 PM
I missed this whole thing by a day. The DL links I could find are 720p.
That's the best quality one currently available.

BRoswell
04-08-2022, 07:40 PM
https://i.imgur.com/5778gq7.gif

Bless you!

EmulatorIV
04-08-2022, 08:17 PM
Hey all -- I'll make a proper intro post but suffice it to say, longtime fan, first-time forum participant here.

One of the things I do for fun (and for semi-professional reasons) is study NIN packaging and promotional materials, and whip up things that "may have happened in an alternate timeline". The discovery of this film served as a huge catalyst for a late-night project: I whipped up a full scale, printable 300dpi PDF VHS cassette sleeve for "nine inch nails live: further down the spiral 1995". Inspired by the cool CD case that was made for the Uncoiled release, the idea being that one could transfer the download of the film to a VHS cassette and enjoy it "as God intended" in all its original 480i glory and have an era-accurate way to store and display the cassette. I'm working with a few colleagues to do some final QC and tweaks, but here is a "potato resolution" version of what I've whipped up so far. If you folks dig it, I'd be happy to make the PDF available for DIY arts-and-crafts.

I used a photo of Russell Mills' unadorned FDTS artwork as the basis for the front cover, and it works surprising well with the dimensions of a VHS cassette cover. An enlarged detail of the larger work formed the back cover, just like TDS and FDTS. Added all the relevant track & personnel info in the appropriate typeface, judiciously placed some appropriate record label logos on it, and scaled it all into a print-ready template. As a fun addition, I whipped up a "hype sticker" similar to ones used on other releases from that era figuring that like the sleeves of the Closure videocassettes, the cover might have Mills' artwork presented without text obscuring it, but the retail shrinkwrap would need some "label bullshit" in aid of Commerce. Hence the NIN logo and marketing jive like "featuring 'closer' and 'hurt'", etc.

At any rate, it was a pleasant exercise. Hopefully some other folks dig it too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ofIVYczOYQFAufczigtVhz5QD-aBbCI/view?usp=sharing

Cheers,
-ian

TheBang
04-08-2022, 09:52 PM
One of the things I do for fun (and for semi-professional reasons) is study NIN packaging and promotional materials, and whip up things that "may have happened in an alternate timeline". The discovery of this film served as a huge catalyst for a late-night project: I whipped up a full scale, printable 300dpi PDF VHS cassette sleeve for "nine inch nails live: further down the spiral 1995".
Very nicely done. A few suggestions:

1. This probably would have come out in 1996 at the earliest (looking at your copyright date, here).
2. By 1996 TVT had been excised from the label logos. Island would also only appear if it were a UK release. The most appropriate logos to have would be Nothing and Interscope.
3. I think they probably would have left the personnel and credits off the back cover
4. Can you make a DVD version?

Shadaloo
04-08-2022, 10:00 PM
So, while I'm sure it's not the only time Trent has humped a keyboard, it does lend credence to the HiS footage in this film being from Dallas. And since he doesn't straddle the mic during Closer in this film, that footage might be from Omaha.

Christ I love this fucking forum

so much

EmulatorIV
04-08-2022, 10:45 PM
1. Good point -- I'll amend that! EDIT: Amended.

2. Also a good point re: TVT, if we're now using '96 as the supposed release date. Edit: Amended. Swapped Island for Interscope.

2a. I did envision this as a UK release (if you read the legalese, I even typed up the "under exclusive license to island records in the uk"). I could easily swap Island for Interscope, honestly I just like the Island logo better and I always enjoyed the UK imports more than the domestic stuff (more-attractive packaging, eg the black-varnish-on-matte-black Sin, the double-CD singles for MoTP and Closer, the arguably superior tracklisting for FDTS, etc) so this was a nod to that.

3. It felt kind of empty with just the tracklisting. I had tossed around the idea of having the credits as an insert sheet, but that started to feel like scope creep :-) It's on its own layer, I could switch it off and see. EDIT: It doesn't suck, it's just minimalist -- and that tracks with the style guide of the era. Good call.

4. I can certainly give it a whack, but it'll take me a bit.

EDIT: the link in my previous post now points to the revised version.

By the way, hi and thanks for the notes :-)

Cheers,
-ian

Very nicely done. A few suggestions:

1. This probably would have come out in 1996 at the earliest (looking at your copyright date, here).
2. By 1996 TVT had been excised from the label logos. Island would also only appear if it were a UK release. The most appropriate logos to have would be Nothing and Interscope.
3. I think they probably would have left the personnel and credits off the back cover
4. Can you make a DVD version?

Shadaloo
04-09-2022, 02:30 AM
Just watched it with a sangria and a couple of screwdrivers. Thoughts:

-In a weird, perverse way, I think the VHS quality of this footage really kind of adds to the atmosphere, the feeling. Assuming I were watching completely cleaned up footage, I think I can - kind of - understand why TR vetoed this. There's a very 'cinematic' feel to a lot of it, in a way that kind of doesn't do some of the songs justice. It might not feel right if it was 'clean'.
-There is so much more corpse footage in the Hurt video than I could have ever imagined. Maxwell was not kidding when he said the footage was an homage to death.
-It feels surprising in retrospect that they were still doing Down In It by 1995, for some reason. It sticks out a little.
-Jesus FUCK do I ever miss the insanity and sheer energy of 90's concerts.
-As I advance in years, I find myself listening to some of my favorite albums less frequently for a few reasons - how I feel about them changing as I age, the fear thereof, not wanting to ever grow tired of them, or overplay them...always wanting to keep the same feelings I have when I listen to them as they are, as much as I can, to remember why they mean what they do to me. Watching/listening to this brings everything back and reminds me I still do feel that connection here. Thank you.
-Sexy sexy Yamaha DX7 mmm yeah fuck yeah it'll never be clean again

Thank you to everyone - everyone - who made this possible. Absolutely amazing.

Erneuert
04-09-2022, 04:02 AM
Hey all -- I'll make a proper intro post but suffice it to say, longtime fan, first-time forum participant here.

One of the things I do for fun (and for semi-professional reasons) is study NIN packaging and promotional materials, and whip up things that "may have happened in an alternate timeline". The discovery of this film served as a huge catalyst for a late-night project: I whipped up a full scale, printable 300dpi PDF VHS cassette sleeve for "nine inch nails live: further down the spiral 1995". Inspired by the cool CD case that was made for the Uncoiled release, the idea being that one could transfer the download of the film to a VHS cassette and enjoy it "as God intended" in all its original 480i glory and have an era-accurate way to store and display the cassette. I'm working with a few colleagues to do some final QC and tweaks, but here is a "potato resolution" version of what I've whipped up so far. If you folks dig it, I'd be happy to make the PDF available for DIY arts-and-crafts.

I used a photo of Russell Mills' unadorned FDTS artwork as the basis for the front cover, and it works surprising well with the dimensions of a VHS cassette cover. An enlarged detail of the larger work formed the back cover, just like TDS and FDTS. Added all the relevant track & personnel info in the appropriate typeface, judiciously placed some appropriate record label logos on it, and scaled it all into a print-ready template. As a fun addition, I whipped up a "hype sticker" similar to ones used on other releases from that era figuring that like the sleeves of the Closure videocassettes, the cover might have Mills' artwork presented without text obscuring it, but the retail shrinkwrap would need some "label bullshit" in aid of Commerce. Hence the NIN logo and marketing jive like "featuring 'closer' and 'hurt'", etc.

At any rate, it was a pleasant exercise. Hopefully some other folks dig it too.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10ofIVYczOYQFAufczigtVhz5QD-aBbCI/view?usp=sharing

Cheers,
-ian

That’s awesome!

Regarding the cover art, did you see the Russell Mills artwork mentioned a page back or two that was going to be used for this project? Did you want to make an alternate one using that?

v1: https://nindestruct.com/photos/large/nin_mills_05.jpg

v2: http://www.permanence.de/millscat/nin/spiral_revolve.jpg

Erneuert
04-09-2022, 07:51 AM
Incidentally (sorry to double post), but re-reading the first post of this thread and seeing the OP finally coming through with it, regardless of how long it took, is humbling as hell. I wonder what other treasures are sitting on dusty shelves in the public domain waiting to be found?

shagg_187
04-09-2022, 08:10 AM
This is nuts.

EmulatorIV
04-09-2022, 08:48 AM
For sure -- I've followed Mills' work for quite a while and browse his site frequently! I love seeing the original works on their own, especially some of the pieces he created for Hesitation Marks (I keep debating ordering a print of "Turn And Burn" to hang in my studio). But "Spiral Revolve" feels a bit too busy for me -- not enough negative space to work with. When I examine the Mills pieces that "made the cut" (eg MotP, TDS, FDTS, HM) there's a commonality to the original work: a focal point surrounded by a large buffer zone that allows things like placement of text, cropping and enlargement of details, use of multiple details as panels in a series etc -- whereas "Spiral Revolve" is busy all the way to the border and doesn't crop well.

Someone else is certainly welcome to try, but I'm not feelin' it :-)

Cheers,
-ian

That’s awesome!

Regarding the cover art, did you see the Russell Mills artwork mentioned a page back or two that was going to be used for this project? Did you want to make an alternate one using that?

tricil
04-09-2022, 10:00 AM
For sure -- I've followed Mills' work for quite a while and browse his site frequently! I love seeing the original works on their own, especially some of the pieces he created for Hesitation Marks (I keep debating ordering a print of "Turn And Burn" to hang in my studio). But "Spiral Revolve" feels a bit too busy for me -- not enough negative space to work with. When I examine the Mills pieces that "made the cut" (eg MotP, TDS, FDTS, HM) there's a commonality to the original work: a focal point surrounded by a large buffer zone that allows things like placement of text, cropping and enlargement of details, use of multiple details as panels in a series etc -- whereas "Spiral Revolve" is busy all the way to the border and doesn't crop well.

Someone else is certainly welcome to try, but I'm not feelin' it :-)

Cheers,
-ian

it makes a good playlist / fictional live album cover: https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/nine-inch-nails-self-destruct/pl.u-oZyj8KWsRq63JN

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0RNGVeZknc0wRDn19wgjcb?si=y6BpVcxQQZiqpQj5IZs91w

Fred
04-10-2022, 01:43 AM
I'm leaning on the side of Simon misremembering. All of the shots of the keyboard player are Charlie (short hair), not James (long hair), which means they had to be shot in 1995, not 1994. And the audio matches up with the video a lot of the time (like when Trent is hitting the microphone against his head), so I think the audio and most of the video has to be from 1995.

Edit: I did a bit of review of a.m.nin posts from the whole tour, and there are many, many mentions of all the cameras and filming at the Dallas and Omaha shows (Feb. 11 and Feb. 13):

https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/1rUM85VmRgY/m/ZCyaoGMOU1QJ
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/2HZooZA25GA/m/zu3BgVgMJ64J
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/CSUfyqEW81M/m/tKbsnWWrRW8J
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/zZDB6ne_gEM/m/XcjngQTJ8ZAJ
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/dxaCvHuTeaM/m/g0T8ZQLUR6AJ

And there are no mentions of extensive filming for any other dates on the tour. There was one post from someone who talked to Sean Beavan (doing FOH sound engineering at the time) who said they did video recording at most of the shows "for Trent's personal viewing pleasure", but I got the impression that it was just informal handheld recording stuff. Things like all the insert shots in this film of people being escorted out of the venue.

So, my opinion is that that majority of the footage in this film came from the Dallas and Omaha shows. And the audio too. Unfortunately, there are no audience recordings for either night, so there's no way to verify it that way.

There is this repeated Dallas anecdote about Trent humping the keyboard during HiS, and straddling the mic stand during Closer:
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/KqP1UqpuY5c/m/KtLUSvI8kKUJ
https://groups.google.com/g/alt.music.nin/c/30N5bEGFl8Y/m/7ioaZrTko9sJ

That all makes sense. Thanks for going the extra mile!

I was basing the late 1994 guess on the fact that the New York shows in late 1994 are grouped under the "Further Down the Spiral" tour at RITC, and I was assuming James had already bowed out by then. Not that he remained on board for the duration of 1994. While Charlie does indeed seem to have entered the group in late December per NIN Wiki (https://www.nin.wiki/Further_Down_The_Spiral_Tour), James was obviously still there for MSG, which I hadn't realized. So yeah, you're right. This must be 1995.

It's a shame we can't verify the locations via audience recordings, unless there are some out there still waiting to surface. It goes without saying that crazier things have happened.

astfgyl
04-10-2022, 08:26 AM
What a great day to randomly check in here! Well done to all involved.

ninlive
04-10-2022, 08:41 AM
I wonder what other treasures are sitting on dusty shelves in the public domain waiting to be found?

That's why it is important to archive :) It's always great to find little gems like this that pop up even 30 years down the road.

It's a shame we can't verify the locations via audience recordings, unless there are some out there still waiting to surface. It goes without saying that crazier things have happened.

There probably are a bunch out there that aren't circulating. But some people don't even share out their tapes. They may have just taped the show and then it goes in to their storage bins. Just like those recent NYC 1994 DATs I uploaded. I think the alt.nin boards are an alternative way of confirming these dates. May not be 100% but NIN fans have always been pretty detailed, it seems. I wasn't around back then. But those forums have a lot of valuable information from the early days.

Kyle
04-10-2022, 12:37 PM
Random thought: I'm SO glad my parents had no easy way to perform diligence on the GA situation for this tour. Seeing these crowd shots makes me wonder how my 13 year old self made it through one of these show a few bodies from the rail without a concussion (or worse). I wouldn't trade the experience for anything, but as a parent now, I can't help cringing ;)

I was a scrawny 19 year old with zero toughness and had only attended a few concerts in my life and the only time I had to step out of the pit was during MotP. People look out for you. There was even a big patch of ice dead center in front of the stage where a floorboard got ripped off exposing the hockey ring underneath and people grabbed you if you started to slip. I’m pretty sure I was safer there than I would be on stage with 90s Trent

Uneven Stephen
04-10-2022, 02:35 PM
Apologies for my ignorance, but where can one obtain a copy of the performance?

roolfdriht
04-10-2022, 04:31 PM
I was a scrawny 19 year old with zero toughness and had only attended a few concerts in my life and the only time I had to step out of the pit was during MotP. People look out for you. There was even a big patch of ice dead center in front of the stage where a floorboard got ripped off exposing the hockey ring underneath and people grabbed you if you started to slip. I’m pretty sure I was safer there than I would be on stage with 90s Trent

Ha, that’s probably a fair assessment - much greater risk in taking a mic stand upside the head than anything happening in the pit. I was fortunate to end up shoved against a larger guy with an comfy back who wasn’t shoving, so I just nestled in there for the duration [emoji23]

stlkr
04-11-2022, 08:32 AM
so... where is the whole video/audio?

allegate
04-11-2022, 09:28 AM
I'm not going to post the link because it's not mine to post but if you go back two pages you'll find that someone who posted the link to the video - and subsequently deleted the link - was quoted by someone and that quote was not edited so the link is just sitting there.

good luck.

zecho
04-11-2022, 12:30 PM
I picked a hell of a week to go on vacation. If anyone knows where this is being hosted, DM me, please.

reznovka
04-11-2022, 12:59 PM
I fucking love this forum. xoxo to all of you

Reznor2112
04-11-2022, 01:27 PM
~ Edit ~
Many thanks for the PM

Ripe(withdecay)
04-11-2022, 02:04 PM
I missed this post and now I'm scrambling to find anything on this. Can anyone send me a DM?

kercyx
04-11-2022, 02:16 PM
I missed it too ! Can I have a DM too ? Many thanks !

_incoma_
04-11-2022, 02:40 PM
<_< i too would be interested in a dm please…

allegate
04-11-2022, 02:47 PM
it's not exactly hiding. just click on page six and read a little.
I'm not going to post the link because it's not mine to post but if you go back two pages you'll find that someone who posted the link to the video - and subsequently deleted the link - was quoted by someone and that quote was not edited so the link is just sitting there.

good luck.

Kyle
04-11-2022, 02:51 PM
it's not exactly hiding. just click on page six and read a little.

just clicked to confirm and it’s still there

ryanh92
04-11-2022, 05:20 PM
"I hope some of you get it. Please. Please. Please. This is my favorite song I ever wrote. And I don't think anyone gets it."
-TR before Gave Up

There's a bit of information I'd never heard. I wonder how high up Gave Up is on TR's favorite songs he's written these days.

Also, holy fuck I remember this thread from back in the day and all but giving up on it. Thanks to Norton Canes for following through with this. I'm so fucking happy!

Kyle
04-11-2022, 05:31 PM
"I hope some of you get it. Please. Please. Please. This is my favorite song I ever wrote. And I don't think anyone gets it."
-TR before Gave Up

There's a bit of information I'd never heard. I wonder how high up Gave Up is on TR's favorite songs he's written these days.

Also, holy fuck I remember this thread from back in the day and all but giving up on it. Thanks to Norton Canes for following through with this. I'm so fucking happy!

I can’t remember where but I believe I heard him saying Gave Up was either his favorite or one of his favorites at one time. I have no idea what the “getting it” was referring to that he said a couple times during the show

Wulgaren
04-11-2022, 11:48 PM
i guess we’ll never truly get it :(

i guess he meant audience understanding this song and vibing to it

fillow
04-12-2022, 05:52 AM
Re: "I hope you get it" quotes

There was a similar banter in the 5-Feb-95 show (Lacrosse, WI), which is in the archive.

During second chorus in MOTP: "Doesn't it make you feel better? Hey, fuck 'People' magazine, and fuck 'Spin', and fuck the mainstream media, cause they don't get it. And I hope that 10 percent of you get it. I hope that at least 10 percent of you..."

nooneimportant
04-12-2022, 06:59 AM
OP delivered after 9 years?!

https://c.tenor.com/LoxPvE8arFIAAAAd/holy-shit-key-and-peele.gif

fillow
04-12-2022, 10:26 AM
OP delivered after 9 years?!

I guess the only thing that can beat this is if somehow the 1991 Wembley proshot turn out to be real too.

Disassociative
04-12-2022, 10:51 AM
Sending out another batch of links in PMs, sorry for anyone who messaged me and was kept waiting. Back to work the last few days working late and been busy. Anyone else who still wants this just fire away and I'll get to you as soon as I can

kargath
04-12-2022, 07:20 PM
So... Anyone here have access to topaz labs video enhance?

Granted it would be better starting with the original file and not the YT compressed version....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Leviathant
04-12-2022, 09:45 PM

We all do, and so do you. (https://www.topazlabs.com/video-enhance-ai)

Erneuert
04-12-2022, 09:56 PM
I can’t remember where but I believe I heard him saying Gave Up was either his favorite or one of his favorites at one time. I have no idea what the “getting it” was referring to that he said a couple times during the show

So that explains why it’s always done live.
piggy, want to add that tidbit of info to the ninwiki Gave Up page?

Disassociative
04-13-2022, 12:59 AM

Granted it would be better starting with the original file and not the YT compressed version....

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

The problems with doing this is as you said it's not the original source video so results may be mixed but also if the audio gets transcoded again it's going to sound like ass. The files on my computer are ok but when going up into my Apple Music library then downloaded onto my phone it gets converted again iCloud (thanks Apple) and it really doesn't sound that great when it's gone through another conversion pass.

nooneimportant
04-13-2022, 06:27 AM
It seems like most of the footage comes from the Omaha, Nebraska show. A quick Google search of the Omaha Civic Auditorium shows similar features like the seating and roof. The building has since been demolished but here's a picture to give you an idea if you want to go looking for similarities yourself.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/82/e5/bf/82e5bf6a6e1ae74a35720224c0eb28aa.jpg

After Happiness in Slavery there is footage of a guy being thrown out of the building and the place looks very similar to the below image as well.

https://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/omaha.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/c/c1/cc1a03a2-f2fd-11e5-abdd-a79eda4c24cb/56f5f974eb014.image.jpg

CAMEO172
04-13-2022, 09:01 AM
I don't check the video at this time but can you confirm there is blood on Trent leg during Wish ? It can be a good proof for this song.
It was at Omaha 95

fillow
04-13-2022, 09:16 AM
I don't check the video at this time but can you confirm there is blood on Trent leg during Wish ? It can be a good proof for this song.
It was at Omaha 95

ja

On the next song (Suck) it's bandaged.
However, by Down in It both the blood and bandage are gone, so it's likely a shot from different show already. Didn't have time to check more.

Papagolash
04-13-2022, 09:32 AM
Anyone notice that the audio through the channels is flipped from how NIN shows normally are? So on this Robin is coming out the left channel and Danny on the right channel, when typically it's reversed where Robin's in the Right and Danny(whomever) is in the left. Is flipping the audio even a thing that can be done?

Jon
04-13-2022, 10:31 AM
The problems with doing this is as you said it's not the original source video so results may be mixed but also if the audio gets transcoded again it's going to sound like ass.

You can remux the "unaltered" audio to the upscaled video. A few extra steps, but definitely not a deal breaker.

fillow
04-13-2022, 11:49 AM
Maybe we should try and asking Charlie about this film. He's the most talkative NIN member ever, after all.

TheBang
04-13-2022, 02:53 PM
Anyone notice that the audio through the channels is flipped from how NIN shows normally are? So on this Robin is coming out the left channel and Danny on the right channel, when typically it's reversed where Robin's in the Right and Danny(whomever) is in the left. Is flipping the audio even a thing that can be done?
Yes, for a situation like this, that would generally mean that someone plugged in the L/R audio channels incorrectly when digitizing the tape. Or perhaps it happened when the tape was originally dubbed from the master. In any case, if it's flipped for sure (I haven't checked), then it's easily solved by just flipping the channels back.

piggy
04-13-2022, 05:38 PM
So that explains why it’s always done live.
piggy, want to add that tidbit of info to the ninwiki Gave Up page?
Just added it. Thanks for the idea.

trollmanen
04-19-2022, 08:26 AM
I just got a copy of the compilation AP Presents Industrial Strength Machine Music, which has an exclusive live version of Gave Up. I didn't realize it until I was reading the liner notes, but it says it was recorded in Omaha, NE on 2/13/95.