PDA

View Full Version : The Thread of Lists

ambergris
08-03-2013, 02:45 PM
Everyone loves lists because everyone can make them and they simplify things, order the world around you and invite controversy. So this is a thread to post your lists about whatever, music, films, food, whatever you like or whatever you've always wanted to say. As an example, here are some of my lists:

My 10 favorite cities I've been to:

1. Berlin (currently, and for the foreseeable future my hometown. Fun, green, relatively safe and cheap, I love it.)
2. Hückelhoven (the city I grew up in, population of 39000, a lot of sentimental value)
3. Paris (perfect for tourists, I wouldn't want to live there, but it's a wonderful city to walk through)
4. Barcelona (A big city with a beach can't be bad)
5. Dresden (This city has lots of potential, I wonder if they'll make use of it)
6. Bruges (like a fucking fairytale)
7. Prague (a huge beautiful city center, the suburbs are dirty though)
8. Hamburg (a potential city to move to, the port, the mentality of the people)
9. London (impressive city, but the tourist attractions are more hidden than in Paris, and the city is too expensive)
10. Bremen (I liked the people there when I wa there for work)

My 10 favorite albums of the 80s

1. Scary Monsters - David Bowie (1980)
2. Fourth World Music Vol. 1 - Possible Musics - Jon Hassell & Brian Eno (1980)
3. Journey to the One - Pharoah Sanders (1980)
4. Remain in Light - Talking Heads (1980)
5. Blade Runner OST - Vangelis (1982)
6. Life in the Bush of Ghosts - Brian Eno & David Byrne (1981)
7. Spirit of Eden - Talk Talk (1988)
8. The Pearl - Brian Eno/Harold Budd (1984)
9. Fourth World Music Vol. 2 - Dream Theory in Malaya - Jon Hassell (1981)
10. The Sensual World - Kate Bush (1989)

My 10 favorite science fiction movies:

1. Aliens (1986)
2. Blade Runner (1982)
3. 2001 - A Space Odyssey (1968)
4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (1986)
5. Children of Men (2006)
6. Dune (1984)
7. The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
8. Star Trek VIII: First Contact (1996)
9. Wall-E (2008)
10. Alien (1979)

playwithfire
08-03-2013, 04:44 PM
11 Worst Retail Behaviors

1. Putting your money down on the counter. It's disrespectful.
2. Talking on the phone. I don't need to explain this.
3. Trying to pay with a large bill without asking first if the cashier can take it.
4. Complaining lengthily to the employee about anything their higher ups have done, as if they can change it/ questioning policy to one of the peons.
5. Not saying hi/returning a greeting before ordering.
6. Not first getting the attention of an employee before asking them for something/speaking to them.
7. You are not a special case, don't think you're a special case.
8. Making dumb assumptions about the employees simply because of the nature of their jobs.
9. Making physical contact with an employee in order to get their attention.
10. Not waiting for a cashier to invite you to their register. They may not be ready for you.
11. Not actually listening to the questions you're being asked. It's not always a script. "What size?" "Jenny."

6 Bonus Bad Coffeeshop Behaviors

1. "Is this mine?" You ordered a latte and this is a smoothie. It isn't yours.
2. Not specifying the size or whether you want some drinks cold or hot.
3. Leaving your cups and trash on tables/making a big mess. This isn't a restaurant and you shouldn't trash that table either.
4. Yes, you do have to pay extra for extra things. Yes, sometimes you don't get charged for it because a barista either doesn't care or likes you. Yes, you're still supposed to. You are not a special case.
5. Your barista is not a mind reader.
6. Acting like a complete baby if you spill a bit of coffee on yourself. Do you have any idea how often we do this to ourselves?

My qualifications: I've worked for Starbucks all over midtown Manhattan for 3 and 1/2 years. I've seen some shit.

Halo Infinity
10-30-2013, 03:48 PM
I was actually looking for another thread, and just entered this thread out of curiosity, as I'd normally would. I understand you on all of those reasons, but the following two really jumped out at me.

1. Putting your money down on the counter. It's disrespectful.
I seriously had no idea, and never did this as means to be disrespectful. When I can, I normally hand the money over without putting it on the counter, but I have put money on the counter regularly in grocery stores, convenience stores, and fast-food restaurants, while making sure to have exact change, or a little bit more money to cover it all. And but of course, I'm sure nobody said anything, since it's not something you can easily say in the open at that line of work to customers.

1. "Is this mine?" You ordered a latte and this is a smoothie. It isn't yours.
I've been guilty of doing this before, but depending on which place you're at, some orders look identical, and some employees don't really tell you who it's for right away, but I'm not fretting over that since it's normal to make such mistakes occasionally. However, despite all these things, I do my best to be courteous and considerate to employees at whatever place I'm shopping and/or eating. It's really uncalled for an unfair to be a douche to somebody that has to be professional, especially when you know that some of them are forced to be nice to assholes. It makes me cringe whenever I see retail employees being treated like shit. And aside from it being wrong, if you piss off the wrong guy, that's just asking for your food/drinks to get fucked up.

Oh yes, and as much as possible, I always true to make sure to READ the menu before ordering. Not knowing how I'm ordering makes me nervous as fuck and I end up feeling like a douche, because that would make me hold up the line, which is bad for both customers and employees. Speaking of which, don't you also hate it when people don't get everything they wanted, and put it on the counter just to walk back and forth to it, even for just a little bit?