PDA

View Full Version : HM Support Group (pun intended) - NO SPOILERS

Reznor2112
08-03-2013, 08:47 AM
I felt like it was needed...a place for those attempting to be strong enough to not listen to any leaks of the album which will be coming in the not too distant future.

A support group for those waiting to listen to the album on release day. I have never done this with NIN, I have listen to every leak since WT...I need you guys :(

Essentially discuss the album with no worry of spoilers.

binaryhermit
08-03-2013, 05:14 PM
Snape killed Dumbledore
:eek:

Vertigo
08-03-2013, 05:29 PM
Might seem a bit weird, but over the last few years, that email from Nullco (or associate) with a lossless download link has made release days feel like Christmas did as a youngster. I go to bed on release day eve with a big goofy grin thinking about the present that'll be sitting waiting for me in the morning.

So yeah, I won't be grabbing any leaks (or radishes for that matter), opening presents early just means less to look forward to. If you'll excuse the weird analogy.

WorzelG
08-03-2013, 05:39 PM
I third this - I did actually listen to some of the Fuji show - but then I thought, it's not worth it, I'm seeing them at Reading in a few weeks - BUT the thing that's killing me is I only will get to see an abridged version of what's out there as they're not headlining in my country so whatever I would watch if I succumbed, I could remove a bunch of songs from that for the sake of Biffy Clyro headlining! aaaggh

theimage13
08-03-2013, 06:25 PM
I've gone leak free on albums since With Teeth, excluding any officially released stuff like the five YZ tracks.

Also went to the last NYC club show without seeing any set lists or reading any reviews. Made the show a million times better when I was left guessing what could possibly be next after each and every song.

Stay strong; the payoff is worth it!

butter_hole
08-03-2013, 09:20 PM
Waking up and downloading a link in your email and putting it on your phone and listening to it isn't as different from waking up and downloading a torrent and putting it on your phone and listening to it as y'all are saying. Leaks are just release days we don't see coming. Whatever floats your boat, though. One love

theimage13
08-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Waking up and downloading a link in your email and putting it on your phone and listening to it isn't as different from waking up and downloading a torrent and putting it on your phone and listening to it as y'all are saying.

Eh, I beg to differ. Links mean whatever additional content is offered with the purchase, a guaranteed and artist approved audio quality, and the knowledge that you're receiving the album the way its creator intended.

Downloading a leak kind of feels like "fuck you band, I want it for free and I want it right now, regardless of whatever quality it is". Yes, even if you've already preordered a legit copy. At least, that's how it feels to me.

Then of course there are those of us who don't just download and throw it on a phone, but purchase CDs and play them in CD players.

BenAkenobi
08-04-2013, 02:51 AM
Then of course there are those of us who don't just download and throw it on a phone, but purchase CDs and play them in CD players.

Exactly. Although it'll all depend on whether local release is coming in any reasonable timeframe. It'll be humiliating to not see the album in shop on 3rd while all the world is partying. And the preorder will show up after, what, 2 months again? Official download link provides gratification first ten minutes then the following days you feel you've been thrown a bone.

theimage13
08-04-2013, 04:02 AM
Personally, I pre-ordered on Amazon this time instead of actually going to a store because I don't have a record store within about half an hour of me.

Now, it turns out I'll be flying across a good portion of the country on release day (heading east), so when I get home late that night I'll likely be wired - despite it being dark outside - and I'll have that package sitting on my kitchen table. Should be a good night.

howdidislipinto
08-04-2013, 04:10 AM
So far I've avoided all the new songs save CBH, and unless there's another single/video, I won't be hearing anything until the album is released. (Whichever arrives first, CD or download.) Even if there's an official stream like with HTDA, that would take the fun out of album release day, and I'm just too dorky to let that happen with a NIN album. Should be fun! Less than a month!

Maybe it's counting the days that's making this tough? Let's use another method...

Guys, Hesitation Marks is only FOUR Breaking Bads away!!!

sleepless
08-04-2013, 09:55 AM
I don't have a philosophical problem with (me listening to) leaks. I've already pre-ordered 5 copies of the album, so why should I?

But I refuse to allow my first listen to be of questionable audio quality.

Dethbryte
08-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I kind of wished I would've avoided songs for now. I kind of want to wait until I get the CD in the mail and listen to it front to back while looking through the book. Because I haven't done that in ages.

katara
08-04-2013, 10:40 AM
And the preorder will show up after, what, 2 months again?
I sincerely hope not. I'm the type who will ignore the downloads and only listen to the album when I'm holding the CD in my hands.

Beginning to regret pre-ordering the deluxe edition direct from NIN, as I know it'll be ages before it shows up.

I wonder if it's worth buying a standard edition anyway just so I can listen to it on release day and use it as my listening copy. Plus, the alternate artwork is nice.

MrSlfDstruct
08-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Nin.com claims release date delivery. I'd hope they'd live up to that.

Regarding leaks, I don't have a problem with leaks any more, as long as the quality is good, ie it's a rip of the cd at at least 320kbps. I'll buy the cd, go to the concert (or two if they come back around) and spend a bunch of money on merch. So my conscience is clean.

I don't think I've used the CD player in either one of my cars now that I think about it. Everything's on my iPod in Apple lossless and I play everything off of that. Still, holding a brand spankin' new nine inch nails record in your hands is pretty sweet.

icklekitty
08-04-2013, 11:58 AM
I don't think I've used the CD player in either one of my cars now that I think about it. Everything's on my iPod in Apple lossless and I play everything off of that. Still, holding a brand spankin' new nine inch nails record in your hands is pretty sweet.

Same. I'll get the leak the second it comes out, then get the professional quality/legitimate version as soon as that comes out. I'll also buy a bunch of CDs, vinyls, etc. Not to listen to them. Just to cuddle them periodically before returning them back to their pristine, halo-ordered home.

jessamineny
08-04-2013, 02:02 PM

So did the HTDA store. But then the Modlife support person told me in an e-mail that was incorrect, and they were actually not to mail them until release day. (Whether that was a misguided Modlife rule or an order from Columbia, I have no idea.)

katara
08-05-2013, 05:56 AM
Thanks for pointing that out. Let's hope that holds true for all of us foreigners, too.

WorzelG
08-05-2013, 09:25 AM
I don't see how the release date promise can be true when there were several speeds of shipping. I'm not personally bothered about when I get the physical cd as long as I have the digital download, so I chose the cheapest shipping, I'd be a bit peeved if I'd gone with the expensive option just to have it exactly the same time

jessamineny
08-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Perhaps it's just the free digital download that's the "release date delivery." But that's pretty misleading. Or maybe Modlife just wasn't getting things right with HTDA and it will be different with NIN. We'll see...

MrSlfDstruct
08-05-2013, 09:47 AM
"Your CD will be shipped to arrive on release date." Nothing ambiguous about it. Now whether or not they succeed in this is another story.

My guess would be that the different shipping options are more so for purchases made after the album is released.

Conan The Barbarian
08-05-2013, 09:53 AM
Maybe we will get lucky and they ship it early.

I got amon amarth's deceiver of the gods from metal blade a week early.

Scarlet Siren
08-05-2013, 09:58 AM
I've just realised I fly back home on the evening of the release date and the vinyl and deluxe edition are being delivered to the office which I won't get until I get back to work the next day. Ha!

katara
08-05-2013, 10:35 AM
"Your CD will be shipped to arrive on release date." Nothing ambiguous about it.
It's hugely ambiguous. The way it's worded should be "Your CD will be shipped to arrive *at your house* on the release date". They could easily turn around and make the excuse that they meant it would be sent from manufacturing to arrive *with them* on the release date for distribution.

Anyway. Fingers crossed.

MrSlfDstruct
08-05-2013, 11:30 AM
Sorry, but I think that's a pretty big leap. If it were the case that it would arrive for them to ship on release day, it would say "item ships on release day".

I don't think they include the entire manufacturing process in their shipping details. International could be an entirely different animal, I don't know. But the wording is clear.

jessamineny
08-12-2013, 08:54 AM
:::cries:::

hobochic
08-12-2013, 09:04 AM
I've held out on everything except official releases, now including Copy of A. Love the song and now I've even heard the live version. Still, I'm feeling a little naughty, like I should've waited for the complete album to drop. Singles were always part of an album experience! I tell myself...

eversonpoe
08-12-2013, 09:04 AM
:::cries:::

i thought about just sending you the download link...but then i realized that would be REALLY mean (instead of my intention of being nice), so i abstained.

jessamineny
08-12-2013, 09:08 AM
I would probably drive to Chicago just to kick you.

katara
08-12-2013, 09:31 AM
I can't be bothered to listen, tbh. The album is so close now. I don't want to spoil it any more for myself.

And yes, I do count listening to Came Back Haunted six times since it was released to be spoiling myself. I want to go into this one with almost completely fresh ears.

eversonpoe
08-12-2013, 11:07 AM
I would probably drive to Chicago just to kick you.

and then i would hug you and profusely apologize, despite the pain. because that's just the kind of person i am.

slave2thewage
08-12-2013, 11:13 AM
Spoilers: Trent sings.

howdidislipinto
08-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Holding out on Copy Of A too. Although if NIN.com releases it as a download with artwork or a video does indeed come out as rumoured, I will crumble like the crumbliest cookie. Even without listening, I do enjoy reading all the reactions. (Y'know, the things people have been posting occasionally in between all the PM requests.)

Anyone else manage to avoid listening to it so far?

Paperthin567
08-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Holding out on Copy Of A too. Although if NIN.com releases it as a download with artwork or a video does indeed come out as rumoured, I will crumble like the crumbliest cookie. Even without listening, I do enjoy reading all the reactions. (Y'know, the things people have been posting occasionally in between all the PM requests.)

Anyone else manage to avoid listening to it so far?

I have managed to, but it has been extremely difficult. I'm trying to hold out o release day, so I can smell the packaging and read the liner notes and take in the artwork, while experiencing everything at the same time. I've only listened to CBH and the live versions of COA and FMW. It's going to be a long 3 weeks.

joplinpicasso
08-12-2013, 08:28 PM
And why the hell is my post in a different font than everyone else's?

Because your sporadic and verbose posts are highly valued here, in my book!

A few things: Regarding the radio, many, many FM stations (at least in my area) serve an important purpose as a platform for the very instance you described from 2003. But it goes beyond that. Many non-mainstream news outlets depend on FM radio and are losing funds quickly, which is a shame. I value radio as I never would have gotten into NIN in the first place without K-Rock in NYC (a now-defunct rock station). My Nokia brick phone had an FM receiver around the time that "Only" was released, and I remember listening on my singular mono earbud waiting for the station to play it again. And this was before WT was released.

I guess the easy, logical, first-world answer to your last question would be, well, to just wait, dang it! [used kindly!] I think that the idea of 'not spoiling' an album is in direct response to the unconscious feeling that most albums are 'spoiled' nowadays anyway by us grabbing the first 192kbps torrent we can get our pirate hands on, with perhaps some gritty 220px art icon. It seems my appetite is just as whetted as yours! I can hold off for those few more days.

OSLIN
08-13-2013, 06:36 AM
Just listen... go ahead... man, one listen ain't gonna hurt you. Just give it a try.

SarahConnor
08-13-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm also, not listening. I'm waiting for the record release... but I won't cover my ears at the concert. Its more like nineties album nostalgia, one single, one LP. I guess you could say I'm holding on to when everything seemed to matter more?

xmp3x
08-14-2013, 10:45 PM
I can relate to this thread for sure.

For the past two months I've avoided the tracklist. Every once in a while I'm here, or at another website, and I encounter the tracklist and shield my eyes.
I haven't avoided the releases of Came Back Haunted or CoA, and I've watched some live performances (Lolla) because I don't want to remove myself from what's happening. At the same time, until I have this record, I'm doing my best to stay away from more spoilers.
Visiting ETS is sometimes perilous for me now. Don't know where I'm safe, lol

Wretchedest
08-14-2013, 10:49 PM
I cant imagine what bemefits are yielded from avoiding the track list. It must improve the album immensely.

katara
08-15-2013, 01:53 AM
I'm now restricting myself to only reading this thread in the NIN section of the forum. Loads of people are posting lyrics etc. It's just not safe out there any more.

Vertigo
08-15-2013, 02:19 AM
They mostly post at night. Mostly.

hobochic
08-19-2013, 03:51 PM
So, it's a bit tricky not to listen to this brand new track, huh... It's not, not at all actually. I have a feeling it's a song more fitted to be experienced within the whole. Yep. Not listening. Or...? Hmm I feel like I'm corrupting an AA meeting.

TheRealNs1
08-19-2013, 04:15 PM
We need a support group for Wretched souls who just listened to "Everything".

gorast
08-19-2013, 05:59 PM
You guys holding out for the full album are missing an incredible shitstorm. Good on you.

simonn
08-20-2013, 01:37 AM
Made a decision that having already heard 4 songs, I'm going to avoid Everything until I have HM in my hands. Just listened to the Zane Lowe interview, and fast forwarded past the song when it was played. Didn't think I had willpower anymore, so this is quite a step in the right direction!! Very intrigued with the reaction that it's produced though, particularly in relation to some of the bands it's been compared to!

hobochic
08-20-2013, 01:58 AM
You guys holding out for the full album are missing an incredible shitstorm. Good on you.

Still haven't heard it but I'm amazed at the quite harsh reaction it seems to be causing.

EndlessLoveless
08-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Ive only listened to whats been sent to my nin account for pre-ordering. And before lolla, i didnt hear COA or FMW. So to hear those live was cool. But I still havent heard disapointed yet. And yes, you guys are lucky to not be in the everything thread. What a fuck storm.... Stay strong!!!

theimage13
08-21-2013, 06:15 AM
Spoilers: Trent sings.

DAMNIT! You've ruined everything.

So far, I've listened to CBH fewer than half a dozen times, and have left the other tracks untouched. Haven't even really read about them.

But holding out - like the proverbial hard-on I've got for new material - is getting harder every day.

Amaro
08-21-2013, 10:01 AM
To those holding out for a first album listen in full seamlessness: play it *loud*

Enjoy.

tony.parente
08-21-2013, 10:04 AM
Everything is going to make you have a "wtf" look on your face, probably induce a "...seriously...?" from you and you probably will hate it for the first 30 seconds.

And then it will creep into your head like a worm and you won't be able to stop listening to it.

Amaro
08-21-2013, 10:12 AM
...And then it will creep into your head like a worm and you won't be able to stop listening to it.

Because it's actually good.

//

Pretty sure we should stop talking.

broevol
08-21-2013, 10:13 AM
I have only listened to CBH, CofA, Disappointed, Find my way and Everything. I will hold out to listen to anything else until something else is released.

Reznor2112
08-26-2013, 08:40 AM
I really need to call my sponsor

redshoewearer
08-26-2013, 11:41 AM
I am taking deep breaths.

katara
08-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Fuck. Well, now I'll just have to avoid the whole Internet until my album arrives.

xolotl
08-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Here's hoping NIN'll respond to the leaks by posting the official digital copies to store.nin.com soon, yeah? Though perhaps he'll be hamstrung by the label arrangement. I suppose time will tell! I admit to listening to the various singles (and live versions) but I can remain strong for one more week if not. :)

laz001
08-26-2013, 01:20 PM
So, the other threads, everyone is raving about how great the album is, 8 ,9 and 9.5 out of 10. How relieving is that?!? I'd hate to wait for the CD knowing everyone was saying it was 'crap' or worse, a 'letdown'.

But everyone seems to love it! Cannot wait till I get my cd!!!

Janus3659
08-27-2013, 02:22 AM
Oddly, I've been looking practically everyday for it to leak... just to torture myself into not downloading it. I preordered the Deluxe CD and Vinyl the day I heard about it, so I wouldn't really feel guilty about downloading it without paying for it, per se. To me, it is about the Ritual. These days it is rare for me to buy an album (especially a PHYSICAL COPY... damn your convenience MP3) and open it, read the liner notes, pop it into the home system and listen start to finish. Like, absorb the album as it were. Holy shit, album art. I used to do that all the time... back in those heady days of having lots of free time I guess. But, I honestly thought The Slip was going to be it for NIN. So, I intend to really savour the experience.

It's going to be a long week.

gorast
08-27-2013, 08:21 AM
This probably means that those of us who are holding out for release day like true fans will be disappointed with the new record.
The very fact that you just used the term "true fans" means you're going to be disappointed with the album purely on principle.

allegro
08-27-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm waiting to receive the actual CD. Because I'm lazy. And because, perhaps sadly, I'm not nearly as excited about this as most of you.

Edit: I should add that I'm not excited about any music, anymore, and this bums me out.

sweeterthan
08-27-2013, 09:12 AM
True fans would *never* want to hear an album by their favorite artist the moment it's available. :rolleyes:

Thor
08-27-2013, 09:18 AM
So, the other threads, everyone is raving about how great the album is, 8 ,9 and 9.5 out of 10. How relieving is that?!? I'd hate to wait for the CD knowing everyone was saying it was 'crap' or worse, a 'letdown'.

But everyone seems to love it! Cannot wait till I get my cd!!!

I'm on the same situation, but now that is leaked and up on stream it's getting harder for me to wait. Arrrrrrrgggg

katara
08-27-2013, 09:35 AM
To me, it is about the Ritual. These days it is rare for me to buy an album (especially a PHYSICAL COPY... damn your convenience MP3) and open it, read the liner notes, pop it into the home system and listen start to finish. Like, absorb the album as it were. Holy shit, album art. I used to do that all the time... back in those heady days of having lots of free time I guess. But, I honestly thought The Slip was going to be it for NIN. So, I intend to really savour the experience.

I was about to say this exact same thing. This could be the last NIN album ever (although I doubt it). Every release should be savoured. The wait is just part of that. I want to listen to the album the way it was intended to be listened to, not via some digital file that I can just download for free with no effort involved.

I couldn't give a flying fuck about the twitter generation and the idea of having everything NOW and wanting MORE before what you just got can be absorbed. Getting a new album should be a special, personal experience. I fully intend to hold on to that.

Amaro
08-27-2013, 09:38 AM
Bless all of you waiters...and coming from a currently spinning leaker--cheers! Keep busy, stay strong.

niggo
08-27-2013, 09:50 AM
Oddly, I've been looking practically everyday for it to leak... just to torture myself into not downloading it.

[...]

I promised a friend of mine that I would wait until both of us get our physical copies. This will be (hopefully) on friday.

Funny thing is, I even have the leaked mp3 files on my PC right now. So, tell me something about torture...

Fangster_
08-27-2013, 10:22 AM
Was totally about to give in when that iTunes preview happened. The little devil sitting on my shoulder tickled me, I was so ready for just a quick one before the actual thing, headphones already on... aaaaaand it's region locked. At first I was kinda pissed, then a grumpy-cat-esque face of self discipline appeared: GOOD. I'll wait. But then, what, oh no, IT'S ON YOUTUBE TOO. Maybe Just Once? Oh, it's full of gaps - GOOD!

So that's it. Friday's basically like tomorrow anyway. Also a fun thing I noticed on my local record store's site: they're selling the Japan import for 50 euro. Price is madness (albeit justified, I guess) but I'd so buy the shit out of it were I not too broke to barely even afford the DE-CD.

xmp3x
08-28-2013, 11:07 PM
Welp...Guess I'm going off-grid for the next week. x_x

I'm staying strong until I have that fucking vinyl in my hands. Read the Spin article and ran into another track name, but eh, can't stay unscathed forever I reckon.
We can call ourselves the Hesitants. hahahah.
Good luck everyone.

Ichiro
08-28-2013, 11:20 PM
I still haven't heard a second of HM. None of the singles, none of the live renditions...just waiting for the 3rd; which seems to be taking a while.

theimage13
08-30-2013, 09:25 AM
I really hope my flights back from these shows in Denver don't crash. Dying with the sealed CD sitting in the mailbox at home would be quite a bummer.

Okay, I suppose dying at 28 would kind of stink in general. But still...

katara
08-31-2013, 03:41 AM
Modlife shipped my album yesterday. :D

Now to just wait a week for it to get here!

laz001
08-31-2013, 11:40 AM
Album has shipped! I see some people have received theres already (damn you all!!), but not here in the UK. The wait continues!

Ichiro
08-31-2013, 11:57 AM
Mine has been shipped but apparently won't be here until Wednesday. So...fucking...frustrating...@#$!$!#*^%!

eversonpoe
08-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Scheduled Delivery Day:
September 7, 2013

>.<

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

redshoewearer
08-31-2013, 12:23 PM
I gave in when it went up on itunes. I figure that's legit - if NIN puts it up for me to hear, I'm fine with hearing it. And now that I've heard it, I'm *really* fine with hearing it if you get my meaning.

slave2thewage
08-31-2013, 12:25 PM
"No tracking available"

Aww, cheers for that modlife.

BenAkenobi
08-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Scheduled Delivery Day:
September 7, 2013

>.<

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I see you aren't used to waiting, say, 3 months for your order to show up, right?

fishtifer
08-31-2013, 10:42 PM
I went to a few local record stores today, hoping they had some copies in the back room and I could talk them into selling me one on the long weekend to enjoy, one store told me it was coming out at the end of September, the other said they could order it for me. I told them not to bother, I'll just go to HMV during my lunch on Tuesday. Have only heard the 3 singles released and skipped the other new tracks on the live concert feeds, but man these last few days of waiting are painful!

I would have preordered the Deluxe cd, but I was so dissapointed with Welcome Oblivion when I preordered it, got the digital copy and listened to it non stop, then several weeks later the cd shows up and it seemed pointless. I opened it, looked at the artwork and stuck in my cd shelf.

theimage13
09-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Shipping confirmation, hoozah! So close. Soooooo close. Now, to figure out which tasty beer to accompany the inaugural listening. Maybe that two year old bottle of Older Viscosity has finally mellowed a bit.

Amaro
09-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Release day bump, for those hopefully consuming this record by now.

theimage13
09-03-2013, 01:26 PM
Oy, mail: fucking hurry up!