PDA

View Full Version : NIN B-side Compilation

mits5k
07-25-2013, 06:16 PM
I'm a total NIN fanboy, though relatively disconnected from the community (until finally registering here today). Two weeks ago, in my giddy anticipation of HM, I decided to collect and sequence what I consider to be the more major NIN b-sides so that they flow together as an album, sequencing them roughly in chronological order based upon when they first appeared. I gave it an album name (All That's Left of You), taken from a lyric from Non-Entity, and cropped artwork from some fan art I found online. The NIN fans I've sent it to seem to groove on it, so why not shoot it out to the community at large? Anyway, here's the tracklist I have for it:

Burn
Dead Souls
Memorabilia
The Perfect Drug
10 Miles High
The Great Collapse
Metal
And All That Could Have Been
Deep
Not So Pretty Now
Home
Non-Entity

All songs that I'm sure we have, but I can't be the only one bothered by trying to compile them into a single listening experience and finding it jarring to have AATCHB start suddenly with the sound of rain.

However, I'm not sure if sharing these songs is or isn't against the rules. If it's not, I'll post a link to a .zip file for anybody who's interested.

hellospaceboy
07-25-2013, 06:34 PM
Where's 'Maybe Just Once'? :)

gorast
07-25-2013, 06:36 PM
All of those have been commercially released (except for Not So Pretty Now and Non-Entity), so posting a link to the .zip on the forum is a big no-no.

mits5k
07-25-2013, 07:00 PM
All of those have been commercially released (except for Not So Pretty Now and Non-Entity), so posting a link to the .zip on the forum is a big no-no.

Kinda had a feeling. Lame since I'm sure everybody here already has them on their computers, but oh well. Too bad there's no way for anybody to email or IM me or something without risking a ban.

Where's 'Maybe Just Once'? :)

Eh, I decided not to include any of the Purest Feeling tracks. Sonically and tonally they just don't jibe.

sheepdean
07-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Get Down Make Love actually IS a b side, and yet is absent. And of course, if it's more of a rarities thing, there's Zoo Station, Theme for Tetsuo and so on

mits5k
07-25-2013, 07:13 PM
Get Down, Make Love was recently stuck onto the end of the tracklist of the PHM remaster-- adding it into mine seemed redundant and unnecessary. I forgot all about Zoo Station, and I've only ever listened to Theme for Tetsuo once (I can't say I ever felt compelled to listen to it again). Ultimately, the tracklist I threw together was much less about trying to compile every single non-album NIN track that has ever surfaced and more about trying to create a cohesive, fluid listening experience that added up be roughly a standard album's worth of music.

sheepdean
07-25-2013, 07:25 PM
Get Down, Make Love was recently stuck onto the end of the tracklist of the PHM remaster-- adding it into mine seemed redundant and unnecessary. I forgot all about Zoo Station, and I've only ever listened to Theme for Tetsuo once (I can't say I ever felt compelled to listen to it again). Ultimately, the tracklist I threw together was much less about trying to compile every single non-album NIN track that has ever surfaced and more about trying to create a cohesive, fluid listening experience that added up be roughly a standard album's worth of music.
Well, if you don't include ones on certain versions of albums, that also removes: Burn (TDS DE disc 2), Dead Souls (TDS Japan and DE), Memorabilia (TDS DE), 10 Miles High (TF Vinyl), Home (WT all releases except domestic standard)

Max Leo
07-25-2013, 07:26 PM
A Violet one? :p

Sorry. :o

And Dead Souls, Burn and Memorabilia are included in TDS reissue like GDML is on PHM's, all of them are b-sides, not including the first proper (non remix) b-side is odd to say the least, but it's not my compilation. ;)

EDIT: Sheepdean beat me to it.

gorast
07-25-2013, 07:43 PM
It seems more pick-and-choosey than anything else, and there's nothing wrong with that. I haven't tried this mix (yet), but if the OP thought that these particular tracks were ones that would work well together, than that's their deal.

Collin
07-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I once did something like this. Since I like keeping my Ipod neat, I just compiled every NIN B-side I cared about onto a single "album" and gave it the Bleedthrough artwork and name since, hell, it exists and I actually really like that artwork. The tracklist was this:

1. Home
2. 10 Miles High
3. Non-Entity
4. Burn
5. The Bullet Man
6. Dead Souls
7. The Perfect Drug
8. Deep
9. The New Flesh
10. Not So Pretty Now
11. Get Down, Make Love
12. The Great Collapse
13. Metal
14. Zoo Station

The only other recorded non-album tracks are A Violent Fluid, Memorbilla, Ghosts 37, and Ghosts 38 which I all left out because they aren't very interesting and I just never cared to listen to them again. Plus I just kept Still as is on my Ipod cuz it's a great album in its own right.

mits5k
07-25-2013, 08:49 PM
I'm aware of the tracks being issued on the second disc of the TDS remaster-- the key difference for me between those tracks and Get Down, Make Love is that those aren't part of the functional tracklisting of the album at this point since their inclusion was relegated to the second disc.

In any event, my purpose here was never to debate the semantics of what can be called a B-side, but to see if anybody is interested in hearing it. If it was unclear in my first post, the sequencing of the songs is not simply lining them up back to back and calling it a day-- I adjusted the dead space between them and crossfaded them where appropriate so that they work together and not just as individual songs as part of a hodge-podge sort of playlist. *shrug*

eversonpoe
07-25-2013, 10:06 PM
The only other recorded non-album tracks are A Violent Fluid, Memorbilla, Ghosts 37, and Ghosts 38 which I all left out because they aren't very interesting and I just never cared to listen to them again. Plus I just kept Still as is on my Ipod cuz it's a great album in its own right.

oh, dude...i LOVE memorabilia. it's not my favorite cover trent has done, but it's definitely one of them. i've actually had some crazy dreams with it as the soundtrack.

butter_hole
07-25-2013, 10:43 PM
When was And All That Could Have Been released as the back-side of a single? Actually, you could say that about most of these songs. Do you know what "B-side" actually means?

Max Leo
07-26-2013, 12:09 AM
I'm aware of the tracks being issued on the second disc of the TDS remaster-- the key difference for me between those tracks and Get Down, Make Love is that those aren't part of the functional tracklisting of the album at this point since their inclusion was relegated to the second disc.

Well, GDML was not relegated to a second disc because it was just one song, the same with "Home" in the european edition for WT, and you have included that song.

As you may very well know, many albums have extra tracks following the last song of the album but are not officially part of the tracklist of said album, the label or the band just don't want to include a second disc, probably for economical reasons, and specially if it's just one song. They are usually just extra tracks, b-sides or remixes, so GDML wouldn't really be the 11th track of PHM, but just an extra track included in the same disc because it was the main b-side for that album (the rest were remixes).

With all of this I mean that GDML should be in a NIN's b-sides compilation, but if you just didn't want to include it, it's ok if you prefer it that way, I guess. ;)

EDIT: And "A Violet Fluid" (bad joke in my previous message, sorry XD) was a b-side too, "Burn" and "Dead Souls" were actually songs recorded for soundtracks, I'm not sure if that makes them b-sides too because they were not included in other releases back in the 90s, although I would include them in every possible compilation just because they are awesome.

gorast
07-26-2013, 12:45 AM
I think you guys are making this entire process a little too overcomplicated by attempting to define what a "b-side" actually is.

mits5k
07-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Guys, seriously, I understand the definition of the term "b-side." I was using it as a catchall for non-album tracks, which I had no reason to believe would offend you all so much. O_o

sheepdean
07-26-2013, 01:10 AM
There's a reason most compilations of this type are called "rarities and b-sides" :P

Wait, isn't there already a NIN boot with that name?

Max Leo
07-26-2013, 02:18 AM
I was not "offended" at all, just trying to clarify/understand why certain songs were used and some others were not. ;)

Even a "catchall for non-album tracks" should include all non-album tracks. XD

But like I said before, it's your compilation, you can include whatever you want. XD

I remember I had 2 compilations, one including all the remixes made by Trent for other bands and artists, and the other including non-NIN (or Trent related) songs with Trent's participation (excluding stuff from albums produced or coproduced by him like ACSS, Niggy Tardust or even Jakalope), but I lost both when my previous laptop died. :(

OSLIN
07-26-2013, 06:42 AM
I have a similar mix except it's more B-sides/rarities type of thang.

01. Complications of the Flesh
02. Metal
03. Black Bomb
04. Supernaut
05. Dead Souls
06. Burn
07. Memorabilia
08. The Perfect Drug
09. AATCHB
10. Leaving Hope
11. The New Flesh

humie74
07-27-2013, 03:09 AM
mits5k
nobody cares about b side albums or what you think should be on it this has been talked about on many forums mate
plus guys like me heavy collectors who have all the songs can make our own album up so its pointless talking about it

jmtd
07-27-2013, 04:13 AM
20 replies and counting would suggest there is some point talking about it.

I always skip GDML on the re release, it doesn't fit at all IMHO.