PDA

View Full Version : What album do you think Trent is most proud of?

kolopsia
07-20-2013, 11:20 AM
This is excluding anything he's said about an album right as it was being released or whatnot, has there ever been any remarks he's made about a previous album and it being one of out the rest in which he was most proud of? MY assumption would be "The Fragile", but I could be wrong.

marodi
07-20-2013, 11:45 AM
Hesitation Marks. Artists are always most proud of their latest baby.

Space Suicide
07-20-2013, 11:47 AM
The Fragile

The hard on and determination for that remaster and re-release is evident of it. Also, the promotion and build-up to it was a pinnacle of NIN I'm pretty sure. No momentum and numbers of sales have rivaled it since.

sheepdean
07-20-2013, 12:47 PM
I believe it's Option 30

elevenism
07-21-2013, 12:13 PM
The Fragile

The hard on and determination for that remaster and re-release is evident of it. Also, the promotion and build-up to it was a pinnacle of NIN I'm pretty sure. No momentum and numbers of sales have rivaled it since.

I don't know...he sure seemed unhappy with the reaction to it. I recall seeing him in 2000 before playing, the big comedown i think, and he prefaced it with "Here's another song from my new album that none of you fucking liked" or something along those lines.
Of course, that COULD be because he IS super proud of the album but wasn't so happy with the album sales at the time.

If i were Trent, i'd probably be proudest of the fragile as well. But i have a funny feeling he's proudest of TDS, because that's the album for which he's received the most positive feedback. He strikes me as being hyper-sensitive to both critical and fan reactions, and often brings up his "relevance, (usually lack thereof,) in interviews and also, in my opinion, in the lyrics to songs such as Discipline and Only.

Of course, this is pointless speculation. Sheepdean says Option 30...i'm gonna go with Exotic Birds.

Amaro
07-21-2013, 12:33 PM
Tds..............

ZeroSum
07-21-2013, 12:44 PM
I obviously don't know if he's MOST proud of it, but I have a feeling he's pretty damn proud of Year Zero. Seems to me he's not that proud of The Fragile (though he should be) and probably very, very proud of TDS.

fillow
07-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Strobe Light

ryanmcfly
07-21-2013, 01:33 PM
Hesitation Marks probably. Then The Fragile. I'm pretty sure he's least proud of Pretty Hate Machine.

ItsJustDave
07-21-2013, 06:14 PM
You're all wrong, it's the baby book.

hobochic
07-21-2013, 06:42 PM
TDS: It's the album that influenced pieces of art that Trent himself probably came to admire, like Chuck's listening to TDS while writing Fight Club which later turned into the movie; the Coil remix that was used for Se7en's opening titles; the Johnny Cash cover of Hurt; the Closer video collaboration with Romanek and so on. If not proud for the album itself he sure as hell should be proud for being influential to other influential artists. TDS created quite an impressive chain reaction.

The Fragile, while being my favorite NIN album, has earlier been criticized by Trent himself in interviews where he's said that he wished it wasn't as long or how it shouldn't have been a double album. I think it's perfect in its dense and manic design. I hope Trent's found appreciation for TF while working on the deluxe version.

Mataxia
07-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Hesitation Marks. Artists are always most proud of their latest baby.

This.

10 characters.

InvitingmeAway
08-14-2013, 12:24 PM
That's hard to answer. None of us truly know that for sure obviously. I actually think Broken could be a decent answer. Remember the conflict with TVT? That record was the first one his label and his first time exercising his rights as an artist. Personally, The Fragile would be my most proud achievement if I were him...but that's because it's my favorite album.

OSLIN
08-14-2013, 12:30 PM
At the time: PHM
Reflecting: The Fragile
Now: HM

billpulsipher
08-14-2013, 12:51 PM
Purest Feeling obv...synth pop at its finest

ambergris
08-15-2013, 05:35 AM
The Slip. He wanted everyone to hear it so he gave it away for FREE!!

Halo Infinity
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
I think he would be the most proud of The Downward Spiral and The Fragile. I'd also understand it all to well if he had a hard time deciding over which one to be proud of more.

As for the post-Fragile albums, I think it's also a toss-up between Year Zero and Hesitation Marks.

joplinpicasso
09-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Can't possibly answer this, but I had wanted to ask him a similar question along those lines (favorite post-2005 song) at a NY Times interview event after TSN came out. Yet the last question was taken by the bearded man in front of me who asked if he would ever collaborate with Manson again.
arg.