PDA

View Full Version : Headphones and Amps and DACs... Oh My!

Jon
07-11-2013, 02:20 PM
Thought perhaps we could use a thread for discussion of headphones, amplifiers, DACs, and all other audiophile thingamajigs. Please be respectful; no one is better than anyone else!

I have quite a selection, but I usually use my "Quick & Easy" setup:

Lenovo ThinkPad >
foobar2000 (lossless) >
AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable (Mini to Standard) >
iBasso D7 Sidewinder DAC/Amp >
Sennheiser HD600 (w/ thicker cable upgrade)

So how about you guys? Headphones or speakers? Open or closed headphones? Preamps? Portable or Desktop setup? Tube or solid state amps? Do you like Little Dot, Schiit, something else?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm also taking recommendations for desktop DACs around the $500 mark...

Leviathant
07-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Win 8 -> Zune Desktop Software -> Firewire Cable -> M-Audio ProjectMix IO -> Sennheiser 595s or Yamaha MSP7s.

Ax Mr. L
07-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Here's my setup:

MacBook Pro >> iTunes (Lossless) >> Apogee Duet 2 >> Schiit Valhalla >> Sennheiser HD650

I've been happy with my setup and how it sounds, though I'm thinking of getting new headphones with a bit clearer sound than the HD650's.

Jon
07-13-2013, 12:37 PM
Here's my setup:

MacBook Pro >> iTunes (Lossless) >> Apogee Duet 2 >> Schiit Valhalla >> Sennheiser HD650

I've been happy with my setup and how it sounds, though I'm thinking of getting new headphones with a bit clearer sound than the HD650's.

Very nice! I was looking at the Valhalla but couldn't justify buying since I already own a Little Dot MKIII. I'm sure the Valhalla is better, just would rather spend my money elsewhere for now. No idea how I ended up with 4 stand-alone amps and 0 stand-alone DACs... I'll likely end up buying either a V-DACII or a Bifrost (w/ USB upgrade).

The headphones are a whole different story. I have yet to find anything over or under the price of the Sennheiser HD600's that my ears agree with. I think I personally prefer the 595's over the 650's.

Ax Mr. L
07-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Very nice! I was looking at the Valhalla but couldn't justify buying since I already own a Little Dot MKIII. I'm sure the Valhalla is better, just would rather spend my money elsewhere for now. No idea how I ended up with 4 stand-alone amps and 0 stand-alone DACs... I'll likely end up buying either a V-DACII or a Bifrost (w/ USB upgrade).

The headphones are a whole different story. I have yet to find anything over or under the price of the Sennheiser HD600's that my ears agree with. I think I personally prefer the 595's over the 650's.

Valhalla is a great amp for its price, the quality-price ratio is great, though I'm sure Little Dot MKIII is great too. I've heard good things of it and it was my other choice for headphone amp when I bought the valhalla. As for the DAC:s I've heard good things about the Bifrost.

Haven't heard the HD600's, but they are more brighter than HD650 I presume? HD595 are nice headphones too (I upgraded from 595 to 650), but I prefer the sound of the 650.

Jon
07-20-2013, 11:16 AM
Valhalla is a great amp for its price, the quality-price ratio is great, though I'm sure Little Dot MKIII is great too. I've heard good things of it and it was my other choice for headphone amp when I bought the valhalla. As for the DAC:s I've heard good things about the Bifrost.

Haven't heard the HD600's, but they are more brighter than HD650 I presume? HD595 are nice headphones too (I upgraded from 595 to 650), but I prefer the sound of the 650.

I've always heard the 600's referred to as more "neutral" than the 650's. I can't personally hear too much difference between the two, with the exception of the 600's having a higher top-end. The major complaint of the 600's is that they are not bassy enough. For me, it's about perfect. I listen to a huge amount of jazz, and the snare stands out perfectly without any bassy bloating on the 600's. I'm able to hear every nuance and difference in the way the drums are hit.

One of the songs I use when testing out headphones/amps/dacs is "My Favorite Things" by John Coltrane. There is so much going on "in the background" with the snare and piano. This gives me a good idea of the capabilities for the equipment I'm testing.

qotsa_1992
08-03-2013, 09:04 PM
Studio beats by dre. better sounding than everyone of your setups. i know because i am a dj

qotsa_1992
08-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Totally kidding, I have a pretty easy setup i usually use. Imac-->itunes-->m-audio usb interface---> and either sennheiser 120 ii, sennheiser 595's or my m-audio av 40 monitors. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a decent headphone amp under $200?

Vertigo
08-18-2013, 04:21 AM
I've seen some great discussions on headphones around here, but does anyone have views on what they'd recommend in terms of headsets? You know, with an attached mic.

The choice out there, as with headphones, is a bit bewildering, and I'm having a hard time choosing mine. If anyone could help me I'd be very grateful.
Main criteria: under £100, great sound quality for music, 5.1 surround or greater, super comfortable (and ideally doesn't squeeze glasses into your cranium). I'd go for the Sony MDR7506 I've seen discussed on ETS lately, but I do really need that attached mic for gaming.

Rdm
02-19-2014, 11:07 PM
Getting some headphones and I am thinking about getting these

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Burl-Wood-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392872593&sr=8-4&keywords=sennheiser

Also I am really ignorant on what kind of AMP to get. I want to be able to hook it up to a mac book air if that's possible .Any suggestions would be awesome

Digital Twilight
02-20-2014, 04:19 AM
Getting some headphones and I am thinking about getting these

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Headphones-Burl-Wood-Accents/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1392872593&sr=8-4&keywords=sennheiser

Also I am really ignorant on what kind of AMP to get. I want to be able to hook it up to a mac book air if that's possible .Any suggestions would be awesome

I have these headphones and they are great. I don't have an amp but they are good enough without for now.

ibanez33
02-20-2014, 04:22 AM
Next payday I'm getting an Audioengine D1 DAC/amp and either Sennheiser 598 or AKG Q701. I really like the 598s but I've heard awesome things about the Q701s so I'm going to audition them this weekend and see how they go. Might try a few other DAC/amp combos but the D1 sounds awesome and for $140 I don't think I'll find anything better. Plus the AKG Q701s look SUPER sexy

http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/images/promo/AKG/akg-quincy-jones-q701-white-signature-line.jpg

barkhammer
02-20-2014, 05:16 PM
Thought perhaps we could use a thread for discussion of headphones, amplifiers, DACs, and all other audiophile thingamajigs. Please be respectful; no one is better than anyone else!

I have quite a selection, but I usually use my "Quick & Easy" setup:

Lenovo ThinkPad >
foobar2000 (lossless) >
AudioQuest Cinnamon USB cable (Mini to Standard) >
iBasso D7 Sidewinder DAC/Amp >
Sennheiser HD600 (w/ thicker cable upgrade)

I'm interested to know how important this USB cable step is?

Not trolling - am genuinely interested if people think it makes a difference.

jmtd
02-28-2014, 03:58 AM
The Dac in Sandisk Sansa PMPs is great. Only 16/44 but above average in the non-apple pmp market. The Sansa fuze was an awesome player. The fuze+ sucks. I'm upset by how expensive the original fuzes go for now.

Halo Infinity
09-17-2014, 03:49 PM
I thought that Sades and SleepPhones by AcousticSheep would be worth a mention here. I'll post the URLs to SleepPhones first.

http://www.sleepphones.com/

https://www.facebook.com/SleepPhones

https://twitter.com/sleepphones

http://www.youtube.com/user/SleepPhones

And here are the sites for Sades.

http://sades.us/

http://www.sades.cc/index.html

http://www.sades.cc/

virushopper
09-17-2014, 04:35 PM
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro > Schiit Magni and Modi (optical model) > Win 7 with Foobar2000.

ibanez33
10-14-2014, 03:26 AM
Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro > Schiit Magni and Modi (optical model) > Win 7 with Foobar2000.

Did you get the 990s from NCIX? They had them for $220 last week... If only it wasn't right before pay day :(

I've been looking for new cans for a while and everything I listen to just sounds better and better and I keep thinking "okay well if I wait another month I can get THESE...". I'm pretty sure this is just going to go on for another year and I'll end up with some Audeze LDC3's or something insane like that.

Currently, I'm running my Mac into the Audioengine D1 DAC/amp and from that into Audioegine A2 speakers and Sennheiser HD228HD419 headphones. At this very moment I have The Fragile playing through the headphones as hard as this little amp can push them, just to see what they can handle, and my god does it ever sound good. I'm not sure if it's the amp or the headphones but the sweet spot seems to be around 60-70% volume. On bassier songs like Into The Void you can feel the earcups vibrating against your head even at 50% volume.

For what it's worth, I know this is super bad for my hearing. I've never done this before and I don't plan on doing it again, just wanted to see how far I could push these $30 headphones, and they held up wayyy better than I anticipated.

virushopper
10-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Did you get the 990s from NCIX? They had them for $220 last week... If only it wasn't right before pay day :(
No, I got them from Massdrop for $180. Crazy, I know.

ibanez33
10-14-2014, 10:26 PM
WHAT! Damn, and I thought $220 was a steal... I gotta set Massdrop to my homepage or something, I keep missing out on the best deals. Were they the 250 or 600 ohm version?

virushopper
10-14-2014, 11:57 PM
WHAT! Damn, and I thought $220 was a steal... I gotta set Massdrop to my homepage or something, I keep missing out on the best deals. Were they the 250 or 600 ohm version?
I know, I couldn't believe it too. 250 OHM Pro is the one I have. Massdrop sometimes have great deals on headphones, always check it regularily. When you see it, buy it! Don't hesitate.

ibanez33
10-27-2014, 02:59 AM
Mac users, what do you use for playing FLAC files? I've been using VOX for a bit but I don't really care for it much. It's not bad but I'd like something more akin to iTunes or Foobar2000 in terms of UI, being able to change the sorting in different ways and display the album art and show some statistics like last played, play count, etc. App control would cool to have as well but not necessary at all, I only ever use the Remote app for iTunes before and after I sleep so I can turn my music on or off without getting out of bed because I'm lazy.

Aywok
10-27-2014, 03:33 AM

I've been looking for new cans for a while and everything I listen to just sounds better and better and I keep thinking "okay well if I wait another month I can get THESE...". I'm pretty sure this is just going to go on for another year and I'll end up with some Audeze LDC3's or something insane like that.

Currently, I'm running my Mac into the Audioengine D1 DAC/amp and from that into Audioegine A2 speakers and Sennheiser HD228 headphones. At this very moment I have The Fragile playing through the headphones as hard as this little amp can push them, just to see what they can handle, and my god does it ever sound good. I'm not sure if it's the amp or the headphones but the sweet spot seems to be around 60-70% volume. On bassier songs like Into The Void you can feel the earcups vibrating against your head even at 50% volume.

For what it's worth, I know this is super bad for my hearing. I've never done this before and I don't plan on doing it again, just wanted to see how far I could push these $30 headphones, and they held up wayyy better than I anticipated.

$220 is about the "regular" price you'll pay for the 990 250's at this current time. Sweetwater has them right now for $229.99.

You know what you really want to do is save money for years and go the Stax/electrostatic route. :p

I have several "portable" type DAC/amps, and 60-70% seems to be about the sweet spot. That's where I keep the volume myself for several of my Sennheisers. If you want to get a little more accurate, I use about 55-65%.

(Edit): I listen to a lot of jazz and anything higher than that, the horns become way too strident.

ibanez33
10-27-2014, 04:30 AM
$220 is about the "regular" price you'll pay for the 990 250's at this current time. Sweetwater has them right now for $229.99.
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAhahaha... they normally go for like $400 in Canada. :(

Aywok
10-27-2014, 09:43 AM
HAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAhahaha... they normally go for like $400 in Canada. :(

Great Scott! That's $355 US! I have the 600's, and they are a beautiful set of cans. Both the 250's and 600's have excellent soundstage, with that "wide" sound you'd expect from open cans.

Not sure if you have any preference, but some consider the 990's to be warmer headphones. I've found them awesome for my tastes, especially on bassier things like Welcome Oblivion. And they don't shake your freaking ears, like you mentioned a few posts above. I use my son's Beats every once in awhile, so I know exactly what you meant. :)

virushopper
11-21-2014, 04:50 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004SY4H/ref=gb1h_img_c-2_9402_b7a78523?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1MQVN2JHP9HQ8ZQ52X40&pf_rd_i=384082011&pf_rd_p=1977199402

Going on Sale on Amazon's Black Friday sale at 11/21 6:00 pm EST.

Don't miss out!

ibanez33
03-13-2015, 04:09 AM
Just bought a pair of these bad boys, after months of debating and financial decision making:

http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/fileadmin/_migrated/pics/DT990PRO_250.jpg

Can't fucking wait for them to come in.

virushopper
03-13-2015, 06:45 PM
Just bought a pair of these bad boys, after months of debating and financial decision making:

Welcome to the club man! You won't go back to crap headphones after this.

ibanez33
03-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Got 'em this morning, I'm in love. Everything just sounds perfect. The only problem that I have is that I'm now already looking at getting them a better amp :P The Schiit Magni 2 Uber is looking pretty damn fine right now...

binaryhermit
03-17-2015, 12:18 AM
Currently rocking this setup:
Really old thinkpad running Windows 7 and foobar2000 or Google Play Music All Access > Monoprice Desktop Amp/DAC > AKG K7XX.
Considering getting a Schiit stack.

ibanez33
03-17-2015, 03:48 AM
AKG K7XX.

I was pretty bummed when I found out I missed that drop, might spring for it if they do it again. Also considering getting a Schiit stack but I don't know anywhere I can try the Modi/Magni combo, the only Schiit dealer around carries pretty much everything except those two and the Ragnarok (which I would fucking love to try). I've also considered using my D1 purely as a DAC running it into a Bottlehead Crack (http://bottlehead.com/product/crack-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/) because it's the same price as a M/M stack and is apparently just fucking insanely good. If it ever hits Massdrop it'll be on my desk like white on rice.

The D1 works really well with the DT990 but there's really no end-game for me here, there's always that yearning feeling to upgrade. Thank god I get to play around with all kinds of A/V shit at work or I'd be broke as fuck trying to bring it all home with me.

Camille
03-17-2015, 05:22 AM
Nothing fancy, but good enough for my needs.

For digital I have Tannoy Mercury speakers with cable upgrade, Cambridge Audio AM5 amp, Sennheiser HD449's and an HP Envy running Foobar 2000.

I have a Denon PMA520AE amp for my turntable.

virushopper
03-17-2015, 05:30 PM
Got 'em this morning, I'm in love. Everything just sounds perfect. The only problem that I have is that I'm now already looking at getting them a better amp :P The Schiit Magni 2 Uber is looking pretty damn fine right now...
I sold my Magni a while ago and bought the Magni 2 Uber and the extra gain option helps a lot.

ibanez33
03-19-2015, 02:40 AM
I sold my Magni a while ago and bought the Magni 2 Uber and the extra gain option helps a lot.

I was looking at the Uber mostly because it has the extra output so I can run my speakers through it like I can with my D1, plus I heard great things about the first Magni and the Magni 2.

virushopper
03-19-2015, 10:29 AM
I was looking at the Uber mostly because it has the extra output so I can run my speakers through it like I can with my D1, plus I heard great things about the first Magni and the Magni 2.
Wait why would you need the Magni if you have a D1? The D1 itself is both a DAC and headphone amp.

ibanez33
03-19-2015, 11:28 PM
Wait why would you need the Magni if you have a D1? The D1 itself is both a DAC and headphone amp.

Oh it has nothing to do with needs, just wants.

binaryhermit
03-20-2015, 04:57 PM
Currently rocking this setup:
Really old thinkpad running Windows 7 and foobar2000 or Google Play Music All Access > Monoprice Desktop Amp/DAC > AKG K7XX.
Considering getting a Schiit stack.
Well, I pulled the trigger on the Schiit stack early this morning and it's already shipped

catiua
03-27-2015, 02:39 PM
I use Sennheisher HD 25-1 II to produce music. They are the best headphones I've ever had.

Dr. Orange
03-29-2015, 07:37 PM

My nigga that's some tight phones dar.

right now I have this off brand headset right now called "Inf1nity" but I'm saving up for some new Senheizers, probably just a pair of 600s. I had 598s but a kids b-day party resulted in total annihilation and a very awkward conversation with two stressed out parents.

Jon
04-22-2015, 10:04 AM
I don't normally go for "on-ear", but... $65!

http://i58.tinypic.com/1j81ur.jpg

Mutilated
04-27-2015, 04:36 AM
My V-Moda M80's have just died, quite sad indeed as they a fine set of headphones and provided excellent service during their 2.5 year lifespan. They were used for commuting to work. So now I must find a replacement set of cans.

I am considering the Sennheiser Urbanite XL headphones. Anybody have any experience with these?

Jon
04-27-2015, 01:57 PM
My V-Moda M80's have just died, quite sad indeed as they a fine set of headphones and provided excellent service during their 2.5 year lifespan. They were used for commuting to work. So now I must find a replacement set of cans.

I am considering the Sennheiser Urbanite XL headphones. Anybody have any experience with these?

Yessir, and I also have experience with the V-Moda M80/100's. I'm assuming you're thinking about the Urbanite XL and not the Momentum 2.0 because they can "fold" like the V-Moda's?

In that price range, non-audiophile, I'd personally go with the Momentum 2.0's. That however was not one of your options. You'll notice a pretty large increase in soundstage and bass response (attack/decay) in the Urbanite XL's over the M80's. I would recommend them as a successor to your M80's.

EDIT: The Urbanite XL is a good sound signature "match" for the V-Moda M80's if the above was confusing.

Mutilated
04-27-2015, 02:41 PM
Yessir, and I also have experience with the V-Moda M80/100's. I'm assuming you're thinking about the Urbanite XL and not the Momentum 2.0 because they can "fold" like the V-Moda's?

In that price range, non-audiophile, I'd personally go with the Momentum 2.0's. That however was not one of your options. You'll notice a pretty large increase in soundstage and bass response (attack/decay) in the Urbanite XL's over the M80's. I would recommend them as a successor to your M80's.

EDIT: The Urbanite XL is a good sound signature "match" for the V-Moda M80's if the above was confusing.

Massive thanks Jon. Food for thought, I had pretty much discounted the Momentums as I had tested a pair of the on-ear model and thought they were dreadful. Maybe they were version 1.0 but I will need to go back to the shop for a re-test I think.

In the meantime, I actually just remembered this afternoon that I have a spare pair of Creative Aurvana Live cans at the bottom of a wardrobe.So these will do temporarily.

Jon
04-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Massive thanks Jon. Food for thought, I had pretty much discounted the Momentums as I had tested a pair of the on-ear model and thought they were dreadful. Maybe they were version 1.0 but I will need to go back to the shop for a re-test I think.

In the meantime, I actually just remembered this afternoon that I have a spare pair of Creative Aurvana Live cans at the bottom of a wardrobe.So these will do temporarily.

The 1.0's are lacking in mid-range. I have a pair of "over-the-ear" and a recently purchased pair of the "on-ear", and the soundstage seems much thinner on the "on-ear". The 2.0 are an overall improvement in mid-range regardless of "on" or "over" ear.

I can see how you'd have that initial reaction, though. The Momentums are much more neutral compared to the V-Moda's and the Urbanite XL's. You're probably much more attenuated to a "bassier" headphone. At the end of the day, it's all down to your personal tastes in sound signature.

ibanez33
05-16-2015, 03:38 AM
I just honestly can't see how people enjoy on-ear headphones. Sound-wise I have no problem with them other than the lack of isolation you get with IEMs or over-ear, but even good pairs just feel super uncomfortable to me.

On a positive note, I'm still madly in love with my DT990s and I recently went back to a few older Sennheisers (HD419 and HD428) I have kicking around and I can't believe I even used those before. Open cans for life (at home, at least). Looking into getting some IEMs for on-the-go soon, too. I've heard nothing but praise for the Shure SE-215 (and everything else Shure makes, really) but I think I've read they're discontinued now? So if I can find a pair of them on the cheap I'll jump on it.

virushopper
05-20-2015, 10:59 AM
Looking into getting some IEMs for on-the-go soon, too. I've heard nothing but praise for the Shure SE-215 (and everything else Shure makes, really) but I think I've read they're discontinued now? So if I can find a pair of them on the cheap I'll jump on it.

Shure still makes them.

Me personally I use the thinksound ms01. It's neutral and warm sounding. I have tried the S215 and it was too bass heavy for me. The isolation was great but it was too much for me.

Check out Head-Fi's guide for recommendations on IEMs: http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

I will say the Hifiman RE400 is awesome as well but the build quality could be a little better.

ibanez33
08-17-2015, 05:17 AM
Thinking of upgrading my D1 to a Schiit stack, Modi with either Vali or Magni 2. Any reason why I should go with one over the other?

ibanez33
01-29-2016, 05:17 AM
bump

My desktop setup is still the same (for now..) but I got a FiiO X1 for Christmas and holy shit, I love everything about it. Not only does my music sound better but I can carry 4x as much of it with me and my phones battery lasts way longer now. After using it for a few weeks I'm astonished that Apple discontinued the iPod Classic, instead of upgrading it, because that's exactly how this feels to me. Portable music player that will play damn near every format you throw at it, battery lasts forever, expandable memory, great UI, and of course, it sounds amazing. The only thing I could ask for is a colour wheel & texture list to customize your screen theme, instead of having to choose between 6 simple defaults.

Jon
02-06-2016, 11:18 PM
bump

My desktop setup is still the same (for now..) but I got a FiiO X1 for Christmas and holy shit, I love everything about it. Not only does my music sound better but I can carry 4x as much of it with me and my phones battery lasts way longer now. After using it for a few weeks I'm astonished that Apple discontinued the iPod Classic, instead of upgrading it, because that's exactly how this feels to me. Portable music player that will play damn near every format you throw at it, battery lasts forever, expandable memory, great UI, and of course, it sounds amazing. The only thing I could ask for is a colour wheel & texture list to customize your screen theme, instead of having to choose between 6 simple defaults.

How is the gapless playback on that?

I have been wanting to dive into the portable DAP world for a long time, but find myself solely looking at players $500+. For under $100, I could have one and be off my high horse.

When I'm not doing anything "special", I use my iPhone 6 + Philips Fidelio M2L's connected via lightning cable (24/96, currently capped at 24/48 because of firmware) -- Is there any reason not to pick up the X1?

EDIT: I'm also looking at the Audeze EL-8 Titanium (https://www.audeze.com/products/el-8-collection/el-8-titanium)'s for tax season, regardless.

ibanez33
02-07-2016, 04:24 AM
How is the gapless playback on that?

Good enough that I never wondered about it before, double-checked the settings and listened to a few songs to confirm how it was. I usually listen to albums through-and-through and have never noticed a gap where it shouldn't be. I'm not using any particularly great headphones with it (yet), just a pair of Sennheiser MM50 I got for cheap. It's mostly for convenience so I can have more music with me on-the-go and save my phones battery, but I occasionally use it with my DT990 around the house and it sounds beautiful.

virushopper
02-10-2016, 01:06 AM
Thinking of upgrading my D1 to a Schiit stack, Modi with either Vali or Magni 2. Any reason why I should go with one over the other?

You can get either the original Vali for $99 or spend $169 and get the new Vali 2! It has a preamp output now like the Magni 2 Uber.

ibanez33
02-10-2016, 01:31 AM
You can get either the original Vali for $99 or spend $169 and get the new Vali 2! It has a preamp output now like the Magni 2 Uber.

I'm actually looking into the Sprout (http://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout/) now, so I can integrate my turntable with my desktop setup. Price is a bit steep but totally worth it, it's an upgrade for my amp/dac, strong headphone out, and drives proper speakers instead of having a line-out to powered speakers like I have now.

virushopper
02-10-2016, 11:53 PM
I'm actually looking into the Sprout (http://www.psaudio.com/products/sprout/) now, so I can integrate my turntable with my desktop setup. Price is a bit steep but totally worth it, it's an upgrade for my amp/dac, strong headphone out, and drives proper speakers instead of having a line-out to powered speakers like I have now.

Cool device. I have been looking into something similar but I'm not sure what I want exactly. Between the Sonos, Plex server, and stuff like this device I can't decide where I would go.

ibanez33
02-12-2016, 03:45 AM
Cool device. I have been looking into something similar but I'm not sure what I want exactly. Between the Sonos, Plex server, and stuff like this device I can't decide where I would go.

If I were doing it based around a TV/home theater setup I would go SONOS, but I'm more of an audio fan and I spend a lot of time on the computer, so for me the Sprout is exactly what I'm looking for in a desktop setup. Either that or the Sony UDA-1 (http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/headphone-amplifier/sony-uda-1-usb-dac-amplifier-review/), which costs a bit more but definitely serves all of my needs and I could easily integrate a TV into my setup down the road, if I want to.

eversonpoe
02-12-2016, 08:07 AM
If I were doing it based around a TV/home theater setup I would go SONOS, but I'm more of an audio fan and I spend a lot of time on the computer, so for me the Sprout is exactly what I'm looking for in a desktop setup. Either that or the Sony UDA-1 (http://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/headphone-amplifier/sony-uda-1-usb-dac-amplifier-review/), which costs a bit more but definitely serves all of my needs and I could easily integrate a TV into my setup down the road, if I want to.

i have several customers who have SONOS systems, and i personally think they're FAR too expensive for what they do. they essentially only fulfill the audio part of the AirPlay function of what AppleTVs can do (unless you get one of the ones that also powers speakers) and it seems kind of silly.

ibanez33
02-13-2016, 02:45 AM
i have several customers who have SONOS systems, and i personally think they're FAR too expensive for what they do. they essentially only fulfill the audio part of the AirPlay function of what AppleTVs can do (unless you get one of the ones that also powers speakers) and it seems kind of silly.

I often have to turn away customers looking for SONOS on a daily basis, because my store doesn't carry them. Functionally they're pretty limited, but if you're looking for wireless speakers and they're in your budget, you really can't beat them.

Jon
02-15-2016, 09:49 AM
they essentially only fulfill the audio part of the AirPlay function of what AppleTVs can do (unless you get one of the ones that also powers speakers)

Truth.

The SUB is the only cool/interesting part of the whole system, but is $200–$250 overpriced.

ibanez33
02-19-2016, 03:30 AM
Finally got around to rigging my turntable to my current desktop setup, instead of just being *near* it, although it's super convoluted for the time being. My signal chain now is Turntable > USB > Audacity > USB > DAC/amp > headphones

Still sounds good though, and I can finally turn use my turntable at night without waking anyone up.

jmtd
12-02-2016, 05:27 AM
I own and love a pair of Sennheiser HD438s headphones, which I got as a clearance bargain. They're closed design. They were a revelation to me when I first got them, hugely better than anything I'd used before, and opened up my existing music collection massively.

However, most of my listening these days is on AKG K541s. I mostly listen either at work, or travelling to work, and they sound really good, nearly as good as the sennheisers, but are much more portable and convenient for working.

On Black Friday I got weak and bought some Sennheiser HD598 Cs half price. They're higher-end than my 438s (at least theoretically) and similarly closed in design. I have not opened the box yet.

I'm considering returning them. Even half price they were real money. My thinking is as follows: I wanted a serious upgrade from my 438s. But, is there likely to be that much of a difference? My 438s are awesome and perhaps I should listen to them more often than I do. If I was investing in new phones (not sure why I write that in the potential case, since I just did), I could look at open ones, which would give me a different soundstage experience, and I could probably get away with at work, and either way I could at home, and I work from home 1-2 days a week. So perhaps I would be better saving or waiting for an opportunity to get HD 598 Se (open design) or a higher end set, the 650s, or even something non-Sennheiser (I was recommended Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros by an audio engineer).

What should I do oh Internets? I am confuse!

Jon
12-02-2016, 07:44 AM
(I was recommended Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros by an audio engineer).

Excellent recommendation for the price. Right now, the 80 & 250 ohm's are the exact same price in the US (around $135).

EDIT: Does anyone here own a Little Dot MK VI+ (http://www.littledot.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=831&sid=9114e15f95b884a3a9c18eae5646723a)?

Leviathant
12-02-2016, 08:14 AM
I own and love a pair of Sennheiser HD438s headphones, which I got as a clearance bargain. They're closed design. They were a revelation to me when I first got them, hugely better than anything I'd used before, and opened up my existing music collection massively.

However, most of my listening these days is on AKG K541s. I mostly listen either at work, or travelling to work, and they sound really good, nearly as good as the sennheisers, but are much more portable and convenient for working.

On Black Friday I got weak and bought some Sennheiser HD598 Cs half price. They're higher-end than my 438s (at least theoretically) and similarly closed in design. I have not opened the box yet.

I'm considering returning them. Even half price they were real money. My thinking is as follows: I wanted a serious upgrade from my 438s. But, is there likely to be that much of a difference? My 438s are awesome and perhaps I should listen to them more often than I do. If I was investing in new phones (not sure why I write that in the potential case, since I just did), I could look at open ones, which would give me a different soundstage experience, and I could probably get away with at work, and either way I could at home, and I work from home 1-2 days a week. So perhaps I would be better saving or waiting for an opportunity to get HD 598 Se (open design) or a higher end set, the 650s, or even something non-Sennheiser (I was recommended Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros by an audio engineer).

What should I do oh Internets? I am confuse!

I spent $99 on a pair of Sennheiser HD500s in 1999. They were, as you said, a revelation. I babied them, I used them all the time. And around 2009, one of the speakers was making a terrible noise, so I capitulated and bought a slightly used pair of HD555s. I don't know if it was just time taking it's toll, or an improvement in technology over a decade, but when I went back to my HD500s, they sounded muted, the high end wasn't as present as my HD555s. Also, the terrible noise in the left speaker of my HD500s turned out to be a cat hair.

The HD555s actually didn't stand up to wear all that well - I didn't baby these as much, admittedly. It got to the point where, last year, I fell into a similar on-sale HD595 trap. I'm okay with that. They're the most comfortable headphones I've ever owned. They're not much of an improvement over the HD555s, even though they're a fair bit more in MSRP.

Moral of the story? You're at a significant point of diminishing returns now. You can pay more for better headphones, but you're going to pay a lot for not a lot of difference.

I prefer open-backed headphones, but there's no way I could wear them to work. It'd be annoying to my coworkers, and it wouldn't keep the background sound out. So that's why I've got a pair of HD280 pros at work. I found them more effective than noise-canceling headphones in that regard, actually.

jmtd
12-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Thank you. That is very useful. I think I should crack the box and try them. Someone else pointed out that, since the half price deal was only on BF, I could probably sell them on eBay even opened for at least what I paid for it (having said that seems there's plenty on eBay already). But there's no way of knowing if they fill a void in my life without actually trying them.

theimage13
12-02-2016, 10:10 AM
Does anyone here use a mini amp (2x15-2x20w) to power bookshelf speakers? I'm looking to make up a set of "better than an extremely expensive bluetooth speaker" gear to take on an upcoming move. I've got the speakers already, but I want to leave my bulky 5.1 receiver behind and buy a small amp to power them with instead. I don't need a remote or a sub output, just a stereo amp. The Lepai 2020A+ seems to be a commonly suggested model, but looking for any other opinions.

botley
12-02-2016, 03:55 PM
Does anyone here use a mini amp (2x15-2x20w) to power bookshelf speakers? I'm looking to make up a set of "better than an extremely expensive bluetooth speaker" gear to take on an upcoming move. I've got the speakers already, but I want to leave my bulky 5.1 receiver behind and buy a small amp to power them with instead. I don't need a remote or a sub output, just a stereo amp. The Lepai 2020A+ seems to be a commonly suggested model, but looking for any other opinions.
I used one of those (similar model, definitely the same brand) with some generic bookshelf speakers for a very short-lived design project last year. The connectors are EXTREMELY flimsy and broke off in transit — in fact, the whole thing is cheap plastic construction, very much hobbyist-DIY quality (ie. not good enough for serious listening) and won't last long. It may work out okay for a while but be sure you can easily return for a refund, that's all I'm saying. Consider investing in proper gear rather than buying $4 worth of parts in a factory-assembled $25 package.

Or if you want something comparable but just a little bit better, have a look at this (https://www.lifewire.com/lepai-2020a-vs-topping-tp30-amp-review-3134838).

theimage13
12-03-2016, 06:58 AM
I used one of those (similar model, definitely the same brand) with some generic bookshelf speakers for a very short-lived design project last year. The connectors are EXTREMELY flimsy and broke off in transit — in fact, the whole thing is cheap plastic construction, very much hobbyist-DIY quality (ie. not good enough for serious listening) and won't last long. It may work out okay for a while but be sure you can easily return for a refund, that's all I'm saying. Consider investing in proper gear rather than buying $4 worth of parts in a factory-assembled $25 package.

Or if you want something comparable but just a little bit better, have a look at this (https://www.lifewire.com/lepai-2020a-vs-topping-tp30-amp-review-3134838).

Great review! I'm all about buying proper gear when it comes to audio (I already have most of it; I just can't take it on this move). In this particular instance it's all about a kind of stop-gap solution. Article definitely had some good food for thought.

Mutilated
12-16-2016, 04:09 PM
So, I'm listening to The Fragile on my new Bowers & Wilkins P7 Wireless cans. I have a feeling there's slightly too much bass. Anyone have these cans? Does the bass tighten after time??

Wolfkiller
12-17-2016, 03:56 AM
Seems like a good time to be asking this...
How do I listen to vinyl through headphones? I'm at work right now so can't post my gear but I have the player hooked up to a cheap amp. Said amp has a hole for MP3 but this only lets me plug my phone in and listen to that through the speakers. I'm guessing I need a different amp?

eversonpoe
12-17-2016, 09:25 AM
Seems like a good time to be asking this...
How do I listen to vinyl through headphones? I'm at work right now so can't post my gear but I have the player hooked up to a cheap amp. Said amp has a hole for MP3 but this only lets me plug my phone in and listen to that through the speakers. I'm guessing I need a different amp?

i have mine hooked through my stereo so when i want to use headphones, i just plug them in and it deactivates the speakers. i'm guessing there are some smaller amps that offer a headphone out.

when you say yours has a "hole for mp3" do you mean a USB port?

Wolfkiller
12-17-2016, 09:47 AM
i have mine hooked through my stereo so when i want to use headphones, i just plug them in and it deactivates the speakers. i'm guessing there are some smaller amps that offer a headphone out.

when you say yours has a "hole for mp3" do you mean a USB port?

No, not USB. Lil circle hole that is the same size as a headphone jack, but it only works for input. "Lepai LP-2020A+ Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifier" is what I'm using, connected to "Pioneer PL-990" player, and two Sony speakers. I knew/know nothing about this stuff and randomly put this all together via amazon review recommendations a few years ago.

eversonpoe
12-17-2016, 02:08 PM
No, not USB. Lil circle hole that is the same size as a headphone jack, but it only works for input. "Lepai LP-2020A+ Hi-Fi Stereo Power Amplifier" is what I'm using, connected to "Pioneer PL-990" player, and two Sony speakers. I knew/know nothing about this stuff and randomly put this all together via amazon review recommendations a few years ago.

ah, a 3.5mm line-input jack.

yeah, that's a pretty tiny amp and doesn't have anything but speaker outs. so your choices are a) get a different amp that offers a headphone out port (either 3.5mm or 1/4" will work fine, as long as you have an adapter for your chosen pair of headphones) or b) find a separate headphone amp that will take a line input (since your turntable has a built-in phono amp) and plug your turntable into that when you want to use it.

Wolfkiller
12-17-2016, 06:26 PM
Thank you good sir, I'll get to googling... or amazoning!

jmtd
12-18-2016, 12:48 PM
I might open those sennheisers this week. I'm borrowing a focusrite Scarlett to use as amp/dac and new NIN may make for interesting audition material!

Edit: 16:44 and I haven't opened them today for various reasons; maybe Tomorrow

Conan The Barbarian
12-19-2016, 10:32 PM
Need some help. Due to the recent events, I am looking into putting together a system. At a budget of course. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced amplifier with a headphone jack. I am finding great deals yet these amps don't have a headphone jack.

Can someone point me to the right direction ?

eversonpoe
12-20-2016, 11:16 AM
Need some help. Due to the recent events, I am looking into putting together a system. At a budget of course. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced amplifier with a headphone jack. I am finding great deals yet these amps don't have a headphone jack.

Can someone point me to the right direction ?

https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audioengine-n22-desktop-audio-amplifier-semi-matte-black

that will run a pair of speakers, it will connect to powered speakers, it has a headphone jack on the front, AND it has a 3.5mm line-input jack so you can plug your phone into it if you want.

that said, it DOES NOT have a built-in phono pre-amp. so if the turntable you got has phono out instead of line out, it's not the right thing. what turntable did you get?

Conan The Barbarian
12-20-2016, 11:21 AM
https://www.turntablelab.com/products/audioengine-n22-desktop-audio-amplifier-semi-matte-black

that will run a pair of speakers, it will connect to powered speakers, it has a headphone jack on the front, AND it has a 3.5mm line-input jack so you can plug your phone into it if you want.

that said, it DOES NOT have a built-in phono pre-amp. so if the turntable you got has phono out instead of line out, it's not the right thing. what turntable did you get?

Still looking into it, I wont be purchasing one till I know which one to get and save up for it. I was told an LP-120 was the way to go, or a turntable from u-turn. I am not sure as I am new to this. I want a table that will safely play my records while providing good sound.

Conan The Barbarian
12-20-2016, 09:32 PM
Another question. Would I need an amp with an equalizer or no?

eversonpoe
12-21-2016, 09:32 AM
Another question. Would I need an amp with an equalizer or no?

no. as long as your turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp or the amp you get has one, you're fine. equalizers are unnecessary unless you're a super uptight "audiophile" (i put that in quotes because, seriously, i'm an audiophile and i want to listen to things as they are presented, not fuck with them).

also, u-turn makes solid turntables that are very easy on your records.

allegate
12-21-2016, 11:11 AM
I'm looking at buying a Lightning-equipped headphone and this one caught my eye.

Sony MDR-1ADAC
http://www.son-video.com/images/dynamic/Casques_et_ecouteurs/articles/Sony/SONYMDR1ADAC/Sony-MDR-1ADAC_P_450.jpg
I like that it has the Lightning connector but also the connector for my NWZ-A27 so I can listen to HD files digitally. The problem is I can't seem to find much in the way of reviews. The few I've read all say "it's alright" but for $250+ I need to know more.

jmtd
01-04-2017, 03:42 AM
Sennheiser HD598 CS initial review: not as comfortable as the HD438s, tricky to wear on the move (my collar/scarf kept pushing them off my ears). A close fit, good isolation from outside. Sound quality is excellent. Too soon to say more about that; at least as good as the HD438s.

Jon
01-07-2017, 10:11 AM
Cross-post from here (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/733-Random-NIN-Questions?p=334872#post334872)...

ATH m50x, bought it 2 days ago. I had ~20$ Philips earbuds, which is surprisingly decent, especially for its cost. Nothing audiophile about it, but sounds good with every genre.

Part of this is a placebo effect caused by the diaphragms of the earbuds vibrating in closer proximity to your ear drums.

Honestly, I'd spend some more time with them and figure out what exactly you want for a sound profile. Starting out, any sort of headphone is immediately going to sound more neutral than something jammed by your eardrums. Figure out if it truly is a "depth" issue for your ears, or a difference in volume (which creates differences in subtleties, etc.). You may prefer (and get a better audio experience out of) something with more bass, but I think 2 days is a little early to make a final judgment.

If you need to adjust anything, I would look into DSP effects (http://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_dsp_effect) for foobar2k rather than using software that came with your soundcard.

Shadaloo
05-08-2017, 03:50 PM
I've been wearing earbuds for years, but a few factors, including constant replacements due to one bud inevitably dying after 3/4 of a year or so of use, and friends being concerned that I play them too loud, led to my finally caving and spending a bit more on the Sennheiser HD 4.30i model. This will take some getting used to, but I think I'm pretty satisfied after about an hour or so of listening.

Rubeninphoenix
10-08-2017, 11:31 AM
I might open those sennheisers this week. I'm borrowing a focusrite Scarlett to use as amp/dac and new NIN may make for interesting audition material!

Edit: 16:44 and I haven't opened them today for various reasons; maybe TomorrowCurious as to how this worked! I'm looking into buying a system and if I can save the money on a preamp (I already have a Scarlett) it would be great!

botley
10-08-2017, 12:00 PM
I'm happy with my new Audio-Technica ATH-E40 IEMs (a real bargain at CAD $100) for the subway commute and other casual listening. They isolate well and the midrange sounds good.

jmtd
10-09-2017, 05:02 AM
Curious as to how this worked! I'm looking into buying a system and if I can save the money on a preamp (I already have a Scarlett) it would be great!

The headphones are pretty good but I rarely use them for stupid reasons. As I write this I'm listening to internet radio with my AKG 512s (which are my portable set) whilst sat at my work desk, and to my right the Sennheisers are parked on top of my plush cacodemon. What a waste of money.

The Scarlett didn't work out particularly great, but you couldn't use it as a pre-amp anyway so it wouldn't help you.

Jon
10-31-2017, 10:31 PM
I'm interested in upgrading my sound system. I will start with a nice set of headphones, amp and DAC. Unfortunately I don't have the ability to test most products before I buy so I'm forced to purchased based on online reviews. I know, not ideal. Being that I listen to NIN by far more than anything, I want some cans that match that style of music. I am curious if any of you have recommendations? I've been considering the Sennheiser HD650 or the HD800, Woo Audio WA2 or WA22 headphone amp, and a Resonessence Concero HD DAC. Thanks.

Cross-post from here (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/733-Random-NIN-Questions?p=383678#post383678).

Those are huge price swings for the headphones and amp. The difference between the HD650's and the HD800's is around $600. The difference between the WA2 and WA22 is $900–$1000 (assuming "factory" attenuator on the WA2).

I would first figure out within $50–$100 how much you want to spend on each piece. There are so many choices within the price ranges you've presented, it would be easier if there was a more solid number to lean towards. I know tone can get lost in typing; I'm making this recommendation hoping to curb you from feeling "ripped off" later.

Jordan
11-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Cross-post from here (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/733-Random-NIN-Questions?p=383678#post383678).

Those are huge price swings for the headphones and amp. The difference between the HD650's and the HD800's is around $600. The difference between the WA2 and WA22 is $900–$1000 (assuming "factory" attenuator on the WA2).

I would first figure out within $50–$100 how much you want to spend on each piece. There are so many choices within the price ranges you've presented, it would be easier if there was a more solid number to lean towards. I know tone can get lost in typing; I'm making this recommendation hoping to curb you from feeling "ripped off" later.

I understand what you are saying. There is a large difference in price but I want to get it right the first time. I don't mind spending the money if it's worth the money. I don't want to settle now only to wish I'd gotten better. I was hoping to be around $3,000 for all 3 pieces but don't have a firm budget.

Jon
12-03-2017, 12:14 PM
My past few purchases have been compact DAC/Amp combos. Nothing over $200; just interested in testing unassuming options.

I should have an AudioQuest DragonFly Red (http://www.audioquest.com/dragonfly-series/) coming my way at the end of this month. Anyone in ETS-land have one of these things?

The only hang-up is with the adapter I would need to purchase (Lightning to USB 3.0). From what I understand, USB 3.0 is backwards compatible but incapable of asynchronous transfer. Here are some questions since I hadn't considered this until just recently:

1). Is the CCK adapter capable of audio passthrough/bitstream? I know USB and Lightning are digital, just not sure if there's a hiccup somewhere in the circuitry.
2). Is ATM (https://www.techopedia.com/definition/5339/asynchronous-transfer-mode-atm) something I need to be worried about on a mobile device (iPhone 8+) in relation to audio fidelity?
3). If "Yes" to #2 -- would purchasing an older cable (Lightning to USB 2.0) provide asynchronous transfer?

I'm very interested in some answers/opinions from the techies here. Head-fi.org probably has all of this information spread out over multiple posts/articles, but that's no fun.

nmitchell86
12-07-2017, 05:35 PM
no. as long as your turntable has a built-in phono pre-amp or the amp you get has one, you're fine. equalizers are unnecessary unless you're a super uptight "audiophile" (i put that in quotes because, seriously, i'm an audiophile and i want to listen to things as they are presented, not fuck with them).

also, u-turn makes solid turntables that are very easy on your records.

I can second the U-Turn turntables. I just got the Orbit Custom and it's the bomb. Not as dope as my SL1200's from back in the day when I fucked around trying to be DJ Jazzy Jeff but a true solid table for sure. I got the Grado cartridge, acrylic platter and walnut plinth. This table is pretty good for the money.

klyrish
02-09-2019, 03:42 PM
Received a balanced HD650 cable from Corpse Cable on eBay last night and finally gave it a listen...I can't believe how much better the HD6XX sound with this cable over single-ended. I recently upgraded my Schiit Vali 2 to a Jotenheim and am blown away by the additional detail and clarity this amp provides. The Modi Multibit continues to impress me so much. It's the best DAC I've ever heard and it's hard to believe the Gungnir Multibit (my next upgrade) is even more precise and detailed. NIN is especially wonderful to listen to with all of the little details and layers to discover. I can't believe how many new things I've heard since upgrading my audio game over the last year.

Jon
02-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Received a balanced HD650 cable from Corpse Cable on eBay last night and finally gave it a listen...I can't believe how much better the HD6XX sound with this cable over single-ended.

Did you end up with the GraveDigger make or one of the "older" ones (https://corpsecable.com/collections/hd-650-600)? Interconnects are an upgrade most people scoff at until they hear a balanced setup.

klyrish
02-09-2019, 07:21 PM
Did you end up with the GraveDigger make or one of the "older" ones (https://corpsecable.com/collections/hd-650-600)? Interconnects are an upgrade most people scoff at until they hear a balanced setup.
I just got a stock 650 cable modified to terminate in a 4-pin XLR connector. It was only $60 on their eBay page and I figure, for now, that'll do. I was eyeing the Black Dragon (https://www.moon-audio.com/black-dragon-headphone-cable-v2.html) and Silver Dragon (https://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-headphone-cable-v3.html) cables but folks at SBAF recommended against them for now. I'll get more out of my money with a better DAC than by spending $300+ on a cable, but I definitely do intend on getting to that point someday. :)

The upgrade from Vali 2 > Jotenheim and then single-ended to balanced for my headphone cables has been enormous and I'm looking forward to just enjoying this for the time being while constantly thinking about a Gungnir Multibit...

Max
02-10-2019, 06:20 PM
Received a balanced HD650 cable from Corpse Cable on eBay last night and finally gave it a listen...I can't believe how much better the HD6XX sound with this cable over single-ended. I recently upgraded my Schiit Vali 2 to a Jotenheim and am blown away by the additional detail and clarity this amp provides. The Modi Multibit continues to impress me so much. It's the best DAC I've ever heard and it's hard to believe the Gungnir Multibit (my next upgrade) is even more precise and detailed. NIN is especially wonderful to listen to with all of the little details and layers to discover. I can't believe how many new things I've heard since upgrading my audio game over the last year.

I’m just getting into this and I totally agree. Great on any equipment but so much more is there the more clear it is.

klyrish
02-11-2019, 08:24 AM
I’m just getting into this and I totally agree. Great on any equipment but so much more is there the more clear it is.
Nice! It really is incredible to hear (lossless) recordings you've listened to hundreds of times again after listening through a decent DAC, amp, and headphones. So many scoff at Hi-Fi and audiophiles as they crank Spotify or Apple Music and put on their Beats to impress people they don't know at the gym and on Instagram but I'd much rather re-experience a loved recording for the first time as close to how it was intended through quality equipment.

What's your setup?

klyrish
02-24-2019, 11:17 AM
YES! I just won a Gungnir delta sigma on eBay for $580 shipped! It'd be about $890 shipped from Schiit's website so that's a nice savings AND it's fully upgradable so in a few months when I've got $500 saved up, I can ship it off to be upgraded for a grand total of $1080 spent plus whatever shipping to/from Schiit is, down from $1290 or so new.

klyrish
02-27-2019, 07:28 PM
OMG this DAC is absolutely amazing. It blows the Modi Multbit out of the water and I thought the sound that DAC produced was incredible. There is even more data, better separation of instruments, and such a massive increase in bass impact. "Somewhat Damaged" sounds so sinister. This is giving me fully body goosebumps and keeps making me tear up from how incredible it sounds. I fucking love this hobby so much.

fortheloveofgod
11-16-2019, 04:31 PM
Can someone recommend noice canceling headphones that are used $100. Something decent for airplane noice?

kenz87
12-28-2019, 12:18 PM
If we're talking about high quality headphones, I would definitely choose Sony. Especially noise-cancelling headphones. And it also counts on Amps and receivers world. I've seen a model from Sony recently, called STR-DH790 ( right there: https://chooserator.com/best-av-receiver-under-500 ), and it was so outstanding, that I've got it. It has automatic calibration system developed by Sony itself. Not every manufacturer can provide such inner technical goods for their customers..

virushopper
12-30-2019, 12:07 AM
Can someone recommend noice canceling headphones that are used $100. Something decent for airplane noice?
https://sites.google.com/view/quipa/assistants

Jon
02-18-2020, 01:03 AM
Research into SACD players is confusing...

Am I correct that there is not a native DSD player for less than about $1500? The players look to be about $700-800 (Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Sony), but then you need a DAC/Amp that can support the audio which is equal in price. Are these price points accurate for Onkyo and Denon (I'm not familiar with these as much). The "all-in-one" players (just one component instead of two) look to be about $1999+ MSRP. Correct?

Also, a lot of the verbiage for some of the specifications is vague, especially since each brand has their own "lingo". I know DoP (DSD over PCM) is an option, but since I'm in the market for a new receiver, it'd still be about $1000-1200. So, the thing has to play native DSD, through a disc slot, as well as HDCD decoding (this is a huge one as the vast majority of Grateful Dead stuff is HDCD). I know Sony has the patent for the DSD technology, does that mean any of them over a certain dollar amount can passthrough native DSD if I have a DAC which can decode it?

I'm also planning on getting a PS2 for ripping/extracting purposes...

I realize this is all over the place; I'm really looking for some guidance. I'd like to spend no more than $1500, but if that's not possible, I'd really just like a breakdown of which direction to go (I'd like to stick with Sony, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio if possible).

ETA: And De-Emphasis!#@$

Tom
02-18-2020, 03:57 AM
If you need to get a separate DAC anyway, one option would be just to rip the SACDs and then stream the files to the DAC - that is, don't use an SACD player at all. Depending on the DAC, and what you use for streaming duties (plenty of good options that cost less and are more versatile than an SACD player), you can use DSD direct or DoP - I do the latter since my DAC is a little old and won't take DSD direct, down sampling on the fly to 24/192, since that's the most it can handle.

Jon
03-16-2020, 11:14 AM

I got a pair of Sony WH-CH700N (https://www.amazon.com/Sony-WH-CH700N-Canceling-Headphones-WHCH700N/dp/B079GPFLT1)'s a few months ago and they have been outstanding. $150 new, battery lasts for about 25 hours with noise-cancelling on, 50 without.

Rdm
03-24-2020, 02:42 PM
Can anyone recommend me some good stereo gaming headphones for PS4 pro ? I was going to get the latest astro 50 4th generation but they got terrible reviews. Anyone with some feedback or any recommendations. My budget is 300-400 price range ?

i have some goood sennhieser digital headphones I use for music but going for some gaming ones now

Jon
03-25-2020, 09:25 AM
Can anyone recommend me some good stereo gaming headphones for PS4 pro ? I was going to get the latest astro 50 4th generation but they got terrible reviews. Anyone with some feedback or any recommendations. My budget is 300-400 price range ?

i have some goood sennhieser digital headphones I use for music but going for some gaming ones now

Astro A50 4th gen are 9/10 most places I'm looking; what'd ya see?

There's really no reason to pay more than $150, unless you're wanting something you can literally ball up, like the Audeze Mobius. 40mm drivers and 7.1 capability is what you're looking for (even though you want stereo):

I'd recommend the Beyerdynamic MMX300 or the Corsair RGB Elite (whatever they're called); they're both $150-$200. You'd get way more spending another $150 on a Sound BlasterX AE-5 (https://us.creative.com/p/sound-cards/sound-blasterx-ae-5#buy-menu) than you would adding to your headphone budget.

ETA: For clarity, I understand you said PS4. My point is there's no reason to spend $400 on gaming headphones.

eversonpoe
03-25-2020, 10:35 AM
my audiotechnica headphones are lovely, but the ear cups are starting to shed. really wish they could find a material that wouldn't do this but also is pleasant on one's skin.

Jon
03-25-2020, 11:04 AM
my audiotechnica headphones are lovely, but the ear cups are starting to shed. really wish they could find a material that wouldn't do this but also is pleasant on one's skin.

Brainwavez (https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/pages/brainwavz-earpad-guide)

Sheepskin, Faux Leather, Velour, Hybrid... if you can find them, the angled velour pads should be right up your alley. Make sure you're buying the ATH-M ones. They have "HM5" ones, which will fit, but are not made for the headphones and affects the soundstage negatively.

eversonpoe
03-25-2020, 11:27 AM

Sheepskin, Faux Leather, Velour, Hybrid... if you can find them, the angled velour pads should be right up your alley. Make sure you're buying the ATH-M ones. They have "HM5" ones, which will fit, but are not made for the headphones and affects the soundstage negatively.

thank you! <3

also, for only the second time ever, Honey gave me a coupon that actually worked! saved an extra couple bucks!

allegate
03-25-2020, 01:01 PM
weird question about over-the-ear headphones that I've only been noticing lately: it feels like there's a hair tickling my ears after about 20 minutes or so of listening. I have two different over-the-ear headphones, one the MDR-1ADAC and one the WH-XB900N wireless, and it happens in both. is there a reason something is tickling my ears? I always take them off and check the pads but they're fine. again it's a weird thing to notice but I was reminded of it when I saw this thread again.

side note: I wish the cables for the 1ADAC were cheaper. Just to get a replacement lightning cable is >$100.

Sheepskin, Faux Leather, Velour, Hybrid... if you can find them, the angled velour pads should be right up your alley. Make sure you're buying the ATH-M ones. They have "HM5" ones, which will fit, but are not made for the headphones and affects the soundstage negatively.Nice. I was looking for new pads for said 1ADAC and they have some that should work.

eversonpoe
03-25-2020, 01:05 PM
weird question about over-the-ear headphones that I've only been noticing lately: it feels like there's a hair tickling my ears after about 20 minutes or so of listening. I have two different over-the-ear headphones, one the MDR-1ADAC and one the WH-XB900N wireless, and it happens in both. is there a reason something is tickling my ears? I always take them off and check the pads but they're fine. again it's a weird thing to notice but I was reminded of it when I saw this thread again.

side note: I wish the cables for the 1ADAC were cheaper. Just to get a replacement lightning cable is >$100.Nice. I was looking for new pads for said 1ADAC and they have some that should work.

i mean it's entirely possible it's your own hair/ear hair that gets compressed/moved around while wearing the headphones ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ but i can't say for sure

allegate
03-25-2020, 01:08 PM
that is definitely something I had not considered. can you manscape your ears? :)

Jon
03-25-2020, 03:04 PM

side note: I wish the cables for the 1ADAC were cheaper. Just to get a replacement lightning cable is >$100.Nice. I was looking for new pads for said 1ADAC and they have some that should work.

if you want a laugh look up "custom balanced headphone cable" on MoonAudio. $1000? What a steal!

As someone that's 35, I didn't experience that constant tickling sensation till I was 32 or so. You're an old, hairy human... sorry.

I mentioned them above, but angled earpads are great for little quirks such as that.

that is definitely something I had not considered. can you manscape your ears? :)

Those electric razors with all of the attachments are fucking great. I know, I know, electric, but for real though.

allegate
03-25-2020, 05:09 PM
if you want a laugh look up "custom balanced headphone cable" on MoonAudio. $1000? What a steal!

As someone that's 35, I didn't experience that constant tickling sensation till I was 32 or so. You're an old, hairy human... sorry.lol, it's true that I'm having issues with hair in places I didn't previously.

I mentioned them above, but angled earpads are great for little quirks such as that.

OK, that's an option to look at.

Those electric razors with all of the attachments are fucking great. I know, I know, electric, but for real though.
well, as I shave with a safety razor I have to say that electric would be MUCH more preferable to my becoming van Gogh. :D

Rdm
03-25-2020, 08:38 PM
Jon

Thank you this is a fantastic response. I’ll look into the ones you suggest

Magnetic
03-31-2020, 10:03 AM
Ok question time. My budget is limited.
Sony MDR7506 or AudioTechnica ATH-M20x?

Alternatives suggestions will be considered if they're <$100. Thanks!

Tom
03-31-2020, 10:14 AM
Buy both, test them, return the pair you like least - only way to go with audio stuff.

Jon
03-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Ok question time. My budget is limited.
Sony MDR7506 or AudioTechnica ATH-M20x?

Alternatives suggestions will be considered if they're <$100. Thanks!

FYC, you can also get Sennheiser HD 280 Pro's for $99 before tax and shipping.

All of these are good choices, the only thing I would point out is that the Audio Technica ones can obtained for $50. The M30x and M40x both fall under or at $100 as well. If bulk and clamp is an issue, I'd go with Audio Technica though all of these options are towards the middle on the spectrum.

BRoswell
03-31-2020, 06:39 PM

I second this.

Magnetic
03-31-2020, 07:22 PM

All of these are good choices, the only thing I would point out is that the Audio Technica ones can obtained for $50. The M30x and M40x both fall under or at $100 as well. If bulk and clamp is an issue, I'd go with Audio Technica though all of these options are towards the middle on the spectrum.

I second this.

Soooo, the Sennheiser HD 280 would be better than the Sony? The AudioTechnica ATH-M20x are indeed much cheaper at $49 on Amazon, but I'm ok spending $100.
I can actually get the Sennheiser ones faster because it's a private seller/ not Prime.

BRoswell
03-31-2020, 08:08 PM
Soooo, the Sennheiser HD 280 would be better than the Sony?

I can't say with that exact model, but the Sonys I've had in the past are decent. The Sennheiser HD 280s are pretty nice though, especially for the price.

Magnetic
03-31-2020, 08:26 PM
Gah! I keep going between different models and can't make up my mind. :( I just want something that's good for listening to music off my computer while I work, because the earbuds are not working.

Fuck it. I went ahead and ordered the ATH-M20x. Will see how they go. I'm not a super audiophile, but I just want something better than what I have currently.

eversonpoe
03-31-2020, 09:38 PM
Gah! I keep going between different models and can't make up my mind. :( I just want something that's good for listening to music off my computer while I work, because the earbuds are not working.

Fuck it. I went ahead and ordered the ATH-M20x. Will see how they go. I'm not a super audiophile, but I just want something better than what I have currently.

as someone who has had sony, sennheiser, and audiotechnica, AT is my preference. best sound reproduction, least ear fatigue, and the comfiest.

Magnetic
03-31-2020, 09:49 PM
Thank you for helping me feel better about my decision. :)

Jon
04-01-2020, 10:27 AM

Nice. Even if you were willing to spend $100, you're only in it for $50 so win-win.

No clue what earbuds you were using before, but the sound stage increase will be noticeable, even if we're talking about switching from earbuds to the entry level $20 Sony MDR's.

eversonpoe
04-01-2020, 11:57 AM
oh man, Jon thank you for the earcup replacement recommendation. these are officially the most comfortable things i've ever had on my ears. and they were super easy to change. <3

i asked my wife if she wanted to feel them and she put them on her head and went "it's like a stuffed animal is hugging my head" hehehe

allegate
04-13-2020, 11:41 AM
Question about the Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, since I just found my pair that I had thought I gotten rid of. A) I need new cups and the handy little guide (https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/pages/brainwavz-earpad-guide) on the Brainwavz page has disappeared to be replaced by gobbledygook:

Introducing Your

PAGE DETAILS TEMPLATE
Let's Get Started!

TALK ABOUT YOUR BRAND
Use this text to share information about your brand with your customers.

Describe a product, share announcements, or welcome customers to your store.wtaf is going on with the site.

B) I plugged them into my receiver so I could listen to a record sans hum (see vinyl thread) and there was absolutely zero bass coming through. It's been long enough that I don't 100% remember what they sounded like but I am 100% sure that they were very good sounding cans. I've had them for awhile sure but I've never heard of a set of headphones doing this. they sound very clear but there is zero bass response.

Jon
04-13-2020, 11:48 AM
Question about the Sennheiser HD 280 headphones, since I just found my pair that I had thought I gotten rid of. A) I need new cups and the handy little guide (https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/pages/brainwavz-earpad-guide) on the Brainwavz page has disappeared to be replaced by gobbledygook:

wtaf is going on with the site.

B) I plugged them into my receiver so I could listen to a record sans hum (see vinyl thread) and there was absolutely zero bass coming through. It's been long enough that I don't 100% remember what they sounded like but I am 100% sure that they were very good sounding cans. I've had them for awhile sure but I've never heard of a set of headphones doing this. they sound very clear but there is zero bass response.

The website works just fine for me. With the Sennheiser 280 Pro's, you're "stuck" with choosing just from the Oval pads (https://www.brainwavzaudio.com/pages/brainwavz-earpad-guide).

If you're having hum and zero bass response, there's something going on with your receiver/amp (could be as simple as the cable though).

allegate
04-13-2020, 12:12 PM
Firstly, wtf. that link was giving me that weird page all weekend - and even while I was typing that post out, hence the quotes! - and suddenly it's working again. I'm not complaining, but it makes me look/feel crazy! :) side note: both the 280s and my Sony headphones are on that page so that's a bonus for me, just order two of the same thing.

The cable on them is so damn heavy duty I hope it's not that. I mean it's not a big problem since I have two other headphones I could use but I'll check when i get home.

allegate
04-13-2020, 12:26 PM
Research into SACD players is confusing...

Am I correct that there is not a native DSD player for less than about $1500? The players look to be about $700-800 (Marantz, Cambridge Audio, Sony), but then you need a DAC/Amp that can support the audio which is equal in price. Are these price points accurate for Onkyo and Denon (I'm not familiar with these as much). The "all-in-one" players (just one component instead of two) look to be about $1999+ MSRP. Correct?

Also, a lot of the verbiage for some of the specifications is vague, especially since each brand has their own "lingo". I know DoP (DSD over PCM) is an option, but since I'm in the market for a new receiver, it'd still be about $1000-1200. So, the thing has to play native DSD, through a disc slot, as well as HDCD decoding (this is a huge one as the vast majority of Grateful Dead stuff is HDCD). I know Sony has the patent for the DSD technology, does that mean any of them over a certain dollar amount can passthrough native DSD if I have a DAC which can decode it?

I'm also planning on getting a PS2 for ripping/extracting purposes...

I realize this is all over the place; I'm really looking for some guidance. I'd like to spend no more than $1500, but if that's not possible, I'd really just like a breakdown of which direction to go (I'd like to stick with Sony, Marantz, or Cambridge Audio if possible).

ETA: And De-Emphasis!#@$
sorry for the out-of-order of this but I just saw this: do you mean a PS3? Because there's a version of the PS3 that will allow you to rip SACDs after a bit of trickery with the firmware.

as for the rest of your post: good luck. HDCD is fairly rare on cheaper players right now. Combine that with an SACD player and you're looking at some high-level (and high-price) equipment. and not to add to your headache but there is also DSD over HDMI but it will only work if the receiver has the DAC for it, otherwise it's just a PCM signal. the forums at https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ would be a good place to read up and ask questions if you aren't already.

side note: dbpoweramp and foobar can decode HDCD digital tracks if they are lossless, if it matters. for example you might find that the Grateful Dead albums you're worried about might not matter (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110372-Handling-HDCD) at all.

Jon
04-13-2020, 12:50 PM
sorry for the out-of-order of this but I just saw this: do you mean a PS3? Because there's a version of the PS3 that will allow you to rip SACDs after a bit of trickery with the firmware.

as for the rest of your post: good luck. HDCD is fairly rare on cheaper players right now. Combine that with an SACD player and you're looking at some high-level (and high-price) equipment. and not to add to your headache but there is also DSD over HDMI but it will only work if the receiver has the DAC for it, otherwise it's just a PCM signal. the forums at https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/ would be a good place to read up and ask questions if you aren't already.

side note: dbpoweramp and foobar can decode HDCD digital tracks if they are lossless, if it matters. for example you might find that the Grateful Dead albums you're worried about might not matter (https://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?110372-Handling-HDCD) at all.

Yep, I meant the PS3. Thankee-sai.

The Grateful Dead releases are interesting because only a few include peak extension, and a good portion of the releases are the wrong speed. Unfortunately, Sunshine Daydream is one of them.

I've been trying to find a discounted Marantz SA8005, but no luck so far (MSRP is $1200). We have a Sony UBP-X700 which has been fine for DSD playback. Using a PC+software does seem like the best approach.

allegate
05-22-2020, 10:15 AM
I ordered a pair of the new Pixel buds because I have a Pixel phone and have been gradually moving my main listening to it instead of an ipod touch that cannot keep a charge. pare the devices that I carry down a bit. Anyway I ordered them and they have the dreaded static bug feature that only a few people can hear. my dumb ass waited for the firmware update to see if it would work but it didn't and now it's past the return time. my fault, I know this. But I talked to tech support last night and they said "oh well it's working as intended because only a few people hear it". fuck you. I'm stuck with them but fuck you, it's not working as intended.

eversonpoe
05-22-2020, 11:44 PM
I ordered a pair of the new Pixel buds because I have a Pixel phone and have been gradually moving my main listening to it instead of an ipod touch that cannot keep a charge. pare the devices that I carry down a bit. Anyway I ordered them and they have the dreaded static bug feature that only a few people can hear. my dumb ass waited for the firmware update to see if it would work but it didn't and now it's past the return time. my fault, I know this. But I talked to tech support last night and they said "oh well it's working as intended because only a few people hear it". fuck you. I'm stuck with them but fuck you, it's not working as intended.

what's this bug you speak of? i didn't even know the Pixel had its own earbuds

theimage13
05-23-2020, 06:28 AM
If anyone has been thinking about dabbling in headphone amps but never pulled the trigger, this is a pretty solid deal - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

(If you go for it, be sure to use the promo code they mention on the product page to knock it down to $80)

eversonpoe
05-23-2020, 10:33 AM
If anyone has been thinking about dabbling in headphone amps but never pulled the trigger, this is a pretty solid deal - https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=33304

(If you go for it, be sure to use the promo code they mention on the product page to knock it down to $80)

also, monoprice stuff may look a little...low-grade, but i used a ton of different products of theirs during my time in the a/v world and never had a problem with any of them.

simonn
09-04-2020, 12:01 PM
So, I'm looking at replacing my Sennheiser HD 477's - had for more years than I care to remember and have served me well. I already have a pair of Sony Noise cancelling's WH1000XM2's - which are great , but would like a decent wired set of over ears for my pc-time - listening via a very old Technics system which still sounds good! Budget of up to £200 (UK-based). Happy to go with Sennheisers, but would consider Sony/Beyer/Audiotechnica and other premium brands too. When looking on Amazon - there is a class of headphones labelled 'studio' - presuming these are generally good for general music consumption too?

klyrish
09-04-2020, 01:12 PM
So, I'm looking at replacing my Sennheiser HD 477's - had for more years than I care to remember and have served me well. I already have a pair of Sony Noise cancelling's WH1000XM2's - which are great , but would like a decent wired set of over ears for my pc-time - listening via a very old Technics system which still sounds good! Budget of up to £200 (UK-based). Happy to go with Sennheisers, but would consider Sony/Beyer/Audiotechnica and other premium brands too. When looking on Amazon - there is a class of headphones labelled 'studio' - presuming these are generally good for general music consumption too?
Yes, but be aware they'll likely be tuned to be as neutral as can be. No bass cannons, no treble knives to your ears (looking at you, Beyer).

The ATH-M50x are great lower-end closed back headphones. They're not entirely neutral--kind of got a v-shaped signature--but they're decent in terms of detail and clarity. They sound great for music until you hear something better and then likely won't want to use them anymore. They take EQ quite well, too.

simonn
09-06-2020, 10:51 AM
Yes, but be aware they'll likely be tuned to be as neutral as can be. No bass cannons, no treble knives to your ears (looking at you, Beyer).

The ATH-M50x are great lower-end closed back headphones. They're not entirely neutral--kind of got a v-shaped signature--but they're decent in terms of detail and clarity. They sound great for music until you hear something better and then likely won't want to use them anymore. They take EQ quite well, too.

Thanks for your recommendation. Have seen very varying review re these. How were they comfort-wise, as one review I saw labelled them the second most uncomfortable pair of headphones of all time!?

klyrish
09-07-2020, 02:30 PM
Thanks for your recommendation. Have seen very varying review re these. How were they comfort-wise, as one review I saw labelled them the second most uncomfortable pair of headphones of all time!?
Hahaha I find them reasonably comfortable but I also bought some velour replacement pads that were a bit thicker than the stock pads.

Honestly, I don't use them outside of work calls/meetings anymore, though. I just do not enjoy their sound/capabilities compared to the rest of my stable (Stax SR-404, Koss ESP/95X, Dan Clark Audio Ether 2, RAAL/Requisite SR1a) and I generally prefer open-back headphones.

eversonpoe
09-08-2020, 12:57 AM

i am currently wearing a pair of M-40x headphones, and i love them. i replaced the pads earlier this year because i wear them a lot and i've had them for a few years (replacement pads i got are comfier than the originals). i actually use them to do a lot of mixing (i find them fairly neutral) as well as listening to records. when i still took public transportation, they were how i'd listen to music on the go. i don't get much ear fatigue from them. i've actually seen people say they prefer the 40s to the 50s, but i can't speak to the difference since i've never used the 50s.

henryeatscereal
09-09-2020, 12:43 PM
Audio-Technica, anyone? (https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3 %91&crid=19R5HYWBORP2K&dchild=1&keywords=audio+technica+headphones&qid=1599672715&sprefix=audiotechnica+h%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-3)

eversonpoe
09-09-2020, 01:42 PM
Audio-Technica, anyone? (https://www.amazon.com/-/es/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_3?__mk_es_US=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3 %91&crid=19R5HYWBORP2K&dchild=1&keywords=audio+technica+headphones&qid=1599672715&sprefix=audiotechnica+h%2Caps%2C194&sr=8-3)

that's what we've been talking about!

allegate
09-09-2020, 02:31 PM
so my Amazon experience is now entirely in Spanish. wtf. I figured out how to change it back sure, but I've never seen that happen before.

henryeatscereal
09-09-2020, 06:25 PM
that's what we've been talking about!
Just bought the ATH-M50's and love em!

so my Amazon experience is now entirely in Spanish. wtf. I figured out how to change it back sure, but I've never seen that happen before.
lol, had no idea that would happen, lo siento!

eversonpoe
09-10-2020, 11:05 PM
lo siento!

that means "shut up" right? ;)

Leviathant
09-10-2020, 11:31 PM

Whoa. This happened to me Wednesday, but after following some link on Twitter. I thought it was just me.

henryeatscereal
09-11-2020, 10:44 AM
that means "shut up" right? ;)
"Shut your pie-hole", actually, lol!

I also ordered the Beyerdynamic DT 240 PRO for my work, according to some reviews they are as good as the Audio-Technica's headphones.

Here's a review: (In english for your comfort, also i found out giving my amazon links fucks it up, lol)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXxr9825nJ4

Self.Destructive.Pattern
10-12-2020, 07:44 PM
Just grabbed the Sony WH-1000MX4's and I'm in love. First pair of over the ear phones I've owned with this sort of noise cancelling quality which is the main selling point for these. Sound quality is pretty good, could be louder but once you tweak the EQ that comes with the headphones app for these makes the range have much more kick.

Going through tons of tracks right now and already hearing so many different sound effects I've never heard before :D.

poinoup
10-21-2020, 12:44 AM
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0759QFPQ3/ref=twister_B07M9KLH36?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I picked up these for $50 on sale. Even at normal price, they're a bargain.

eversonpoe
02-10-2021, 10:58 PM
anyone have any recommendations for some circumaural bluetooth headphones for a casual wearer? sarah's been having trouble with her headphone cord getting tangled up with the baby when they're hanging out together and i told her i'd ask around. i've never used bluetooth headphones myself so i have no way of knowing what's good or not.

thanks in advance!

virushopper
02-15-2021, 01:19 PM
anyone have any recommendations for some circumaural bluetooth headphones for a casual wearer? sarah's been having trouble with her headphone cord getting tangled up with the baby when they're hanging out together and i told her i'd ask around. i've never used bluetooth headphones myself so i have no way of knowing what's good or not.

thanks in advance!

I am not an expert in this field but check out the following: https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/reviews/best-bluetooth-headphones/

The Wirecutter generally does a good job on evaluating the various models out there. Try not to go too deep the rabbit hole of headphones though.

allegate
01-16-2024, 03:48 PM
I bought a DAC about a month ago (FiiO K7BT Balanced HiFi DAC Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier (https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-K7BT-Bluetooth-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B0C3HHCTJC/ref=sr_1_3)) and put it through some work with many different musical styles and headphones. I hated it. I kept reading that the volume is logarithmic but all I could tell is that it only became useful around the 60-70% turn of the knob. And even then it wasn't driving any of my headphones, everything sounded flat. I connected it to my computer to test that part of it out and even then it was weak. it felt like I could put dubstep on and it would sound like a cardboard box.

Probably there's a case to be made that if I had let it burn in it would have gotten better but ~$300 is a lot for a maybe and a real good way to lie to yourself that it sounds better. It also did not help that it turns out my hires audio player does not output via the USB port so it was a headphone cable connected to the unit. Really good way to screw up sound when there are two volume dials to keep in mind.

Leviathant
01-17-2024, 09:46 AM
The foam on my HD-595s finally fell apart, and I realized they were something like 15 years old, so I sprung for a new pair of HD-600s. They're only ever plugged into either my Macbook Pro or my SSL Big Six.

On a related note, I took advantage of a Black Friday sale and bought the dSoniq Realphones VST plugin, which can also be set up system-wide. Ultimately it's a set of EQ curves that can neutralize headphones based on model-specific profiles, and reverb impulses to simulate being in a car, or a club, or a studio... It's ultimately meant for mastering an album and testing it in different environments, but it's also just kind of fun to change up the feel of what's coming out of your headphones.

Jinsai
01-17-2024, 01:52 PM
oooh, Leviathant, you got a Big Six? I was really thinking about getting that.

On topic w/ this thread though, my pair of these recently broke, and as soon as I can justify it I'm replacing them with another pair. Bang for buck, these are incredible.

https://drop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx

Leviathant
01-17-2024, 05:37 PM
oooh, @Leviathant (https://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1) , you got a Big Six? I was really thinking about getting that.

I had milked my M-Audio Projectmix IO for as long as I could, because I couldn't find anything quite like it, and certainly not for the price point. But it was Firewire, the drivers hadn't been updated since AVID bought M-Audio in 2004. It was honestly impressive that a Windows 10 machine, nearly 20 years later, could still operate the hardware. During the pandemic, I picked up a Focusrite SaffirePro 40 as an inexpensive expander for the ProjectMix. There was a notable improvement in sound quality... so I picked a second one up, and got rid of the ProjectMix. I'd been making do with 8 ins and 4 outs for a very long time, and suddenly I had 16 ins and 16 outs, appearing as a single unit. There was also a hot-rodded Sound Workshop 1280b that I was using as a set of 8 console channels for EQ and color. I hooked it all up through my patch bays so I could route outputs to inputs and all kinds of goodness, but like the ProjectMix, these were Firewire devices, getting the software running on Windows required some weird hacks. It was incredible bang for the buck, but I was still operating on a short runway.

Last year, I did some big upgrades, in the name of simplification and modernization. B&H had a pretty fantastic deal on an M1 Max Macbook Pro (64gb of RAM!), and before the price drop here in the US made all things more or less equal, I was able to pick up the Big Six for about $2600 by importing from Thomann. And at the last half of the year, I got an Apple Studio Display.

So, just looking at audio and video, I went from a Dell Desktop with dual Firewire cables into two Saffire Pro 40s and a 12-channel outboard console, with all the cable snakes between them (including a snake from the console to the optional 8 VU meter attachment), power cable for the PC, weird dual DVI cable to the monitor with its own power cable to...

110v Power -> Apple Studio Display --USB--> M1 Macbook --USB--> SSL Big Six (the patch bay is where we finally start to break out into separate cables)

I think I've got 15 inputs running on the Big Six (it's such a weird name for the device). The hybrid workflow is just killer - you can route DAW channels back out through the console channels, good for running VST instruments through outboard FX, or re-amping stuff you've recorded. I could do that with the PreSonus stuff but it required two extra 8-channel 1/4" snakes and manually patching stuff - it's just a button press on the Big Six. The preamps, EQ, channel comps & bus comp are great, too, and it's portable enough that if I ever was in a situation where I wanted a nice multitrack recording somewhere, I could very easily drag it with me.

It's just incredible value for the money.

Jinsai
01-18-2024, 12:17 PM
Leviathant Yeah... I have a patchbay that I use primarily to route all my synths to the desk interface. I opted to get an SSL 12 instead of the Big Six and to save some money (I've been spending an ungodly amount lately... just got a new Mac Studio and had to update about a billion licenses during the installapalooza). I was going to use my Apogee Firewire Ensemble to give me another 8 channels (w/ 4 Apogee Pres) via ADAT... But that didn't work out like planned. First, I need an old Mac running an old version of OSX to turn the firewire device into Standalone mode to pass along the ADAT signal to my SSL 12, BUT that still caps the sample rate at 48k, and I was working at 96. Also, this gives me fewer DC coupled outs, which I could use to send CV to my modular via Ableton's CV Tools. Realistically I'm limited to 4 usable tracks of output, which is enough to route a signal through external hardware, and send 2 CV signals, and 4 inputs without the Ensemble working (which is currently does not)... which is kind of a bummer, because my setup allows for 10 converted lines of simultaneous ins from my modular, which currently is just wasted.

TL;DR, I probably should have just opted for the big six but needed to save money... and it all works, so I can't complain, even if the true potential is locked away there and it nags at me in an OCD kinda way. Maybe someday I'll put the SSL 12 on eBay.