PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy XIII, XIII-2 and Lightning Returns

Space Suicide
07-02-2013, 08:13 PM
So I am a fan of this series and even of this ongoing thing with the XIII Saga. I know many detested XIII and also disliked, albeit liked it more, XIII-2. I have yet to take off my playing in XIII-2 but I am planning to pre-order Lightning Returns now after today's news!

http://www.trueachievements.com/customimages/019019.jpg

Today, Square have announced the two pre-order incentives for the title. The Pre-Order bonus will include a limited edition steelbook case and a download token which will give access to the iconic gear of Cloud Strife including the legendary Buster sword. Cloud's famous victory pose and fanfare have also been faithfully recreated for the new title, and they promise some special abilities that come with the sword and weapon will be announced at a later time.

http://www.trueachievements.com/customimages/019026.jpg

In action:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzV40UYx6hE&feature=player_embedded

and we have this too

http://www.trueachievements.com/customimages/019025.jpg

So any fans besides Piko that I know of?

liquidcalm
07-03-2013, 01:55 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with XIII... on the one hand, the characters and story drove me nuts, the game progressions was cripplingly slow and, worse, dull. But I freaking loved the combat system. When you get to Pulse, and everything just opens up, it suddenly becomes the FF game you wanted. Then you dive back down corridors.
What made it worse was the actual world and such was interesting, yet almost entirely expanded in text files, and not just things that round out the story, but stuff that was critical to why characters acted the way they did.
But... I could play that battle system for hours, so it is in fact the only FF game I bothered to finish since 7.

With all that in mind i skipped XIII-2 (though am often tempted by it..) and still interested in Lightning Returns.. Really I'm more interested in Verses... sorry.. FFXV.. just because I want a new world to explore.

Hula
07-03-2013, 03:57 AM
I still haven't cleared XIII but I want so badly to like it - I even bought XIII-2 in the hopes that it would be better but I haven't touched it yet. I feel like the plot was decent and the combat could have been fun if there hadn't been a forced level cap, essentially meaning you couldn't grind if you were finding a boss battle difficult. The linearity was where it really fell through. The characters and plot were about the only thing that felt true to the franchise as a whole, and while every franchise is going to have to change eventually, it felt like change for the worse as there were features that just didn't pan out as well as they could've.

That being said, the Cloud Strife outfit has me bizarrely tempted to invest in this one. I wish I could trust it to actually be a decent game. I really do.

Wretchedest
07-03-2013, 04:10 AM
I think I might be the only person in the world who didn't mind the linear nature of FF XIII. I actually really liked the gameplay, and I felt like going (mostly) linear allowed the game to place an emphasis on its story which, in my opinion, has always been the strongest part of Final Fantasy games.

I thought the story was very strong at the beginning. There's a lot going on, but it's being slow rolled, and each of the subplots seems like its going somewhere interesting. Unfortunately, there are distinct moments that derail each of these subplots and the story immediately goes to shit just before halfway through the game. By the end of the thing, the "villains" are literally trying to accomplish the same thing as the heroes.

Because of this and in spite of what I thought was near perfect gameplay, I never picked up it's sequels. I heard XIII-2 was an even bigger gameplay improvement, but I have a hard time buying into the idea of a true Final Fantasy sequel. I really come for the writing, and it's already been on a sharp decline... for over a decade now. I think the release of "Advent Children" marked the occasion where I noticed something was wrong. Final Fantasy had never been about flashy, over the top battle sequences. It had always been about character development, relationships, tension. "Advent Children" threw all of that out the window.

Of course FF famously has a different writer than the guy who made the series famous and then "botched" the movie. So that probably accounts for the difference.

Still, Lightning Returns and FF XV have absolutely insane looking visuals. So, they have my attention at least. XV even looks to be pushing the gameplay envelope. I'll probably end up getting that at the very least.

MrsMeowMeow
07-03-2013, 05:00 PM
I didn't like XIII at all, the things that make me like a FF title the most (story, interesting characters, exploring the world, finding secrets, small quests, mini games and maybe even a decent villain) weren't there or I just didn't like it. Sure, combat system and graphics were good as usual, but I expected so much more. I don't think I'll ever have the urge to play that again.

XIII-2 was waaaay better. It made up for a lot of things, especially the linearity. And I kinda liked Noels story.
I really wonder how they are going to continue that storyline...

The costumes look very nice, but there is no way in hell I would pre order, not after the past few years of disappointment with FF titles, sorry.

Jinsai
07-03-2013, 08:01 PM
the problem with XIII-2 is that the story was beyond awful. I've never sat through a plot so convoluted, repetitive, and utterly obnoxious. I now cringe every time I hear the word "paradox." By the time I got to the end of the game, I'd given up on trying to even pay attention to what was going on.

I'd say I still enjoyed the game more or less, but maybe Square should try dialing it back a bit and just tell a simple coherent story. I'm sure I'll pick up XIII-3, but from watching the trailers I don't have any real hope that the story is going to be any better.

Piko
07-03-2013, 09:29 PM
I liked XIII and XIII-2. They both have their fair share of problems. But, they aren't enough to ruin the game for me too much. For XIII, I actually enjoyed the story. The characters were weak, but eventually they grew on me some as the story progressed. XIII-2, definitely had some pretty cool moments. It's main problem is it's story, which tried to do way more than it should have. Not saying it was a bad story. But, it could've been trimmed down and less convoluted. Noel was probably the game's saving grace. I did like Caius and Yeul though he's stuck living for eternity watching her die, again and again. Pretty dark stuff.. If the story was simplified just a little bit, it could've been much more.

Reaps
07-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Just noticed FFVII has hit steam!

xmd 5a
07-05-2013, 08:13 AM
I wasn't super impressed with XIII (especially after XII which is my personal favourite game in the series and in my overall top 5 gamed of all time), but XIII-2 was really fun. Looking forward to the latest installment and hope they build upon the XIII-2 template.

nvr_mind
07-10-2013, 08:07 PM
I liked 13 except for the linearity as well but at the same time I understood why it was like that. It, to me, was because it went with the story. They were fugitives being chased. It wouldn't make much sense if they were able to take a break from being chased to explore a bit. I really think all these sequels, however, are stupid as fucking shit. Such a stupid plot device like time travel just seems thrown in for the sake of having an excuse for a sequel. How the fuck does it make sense that Lightning, a former soldier, is now a time traveling warrior and guide for souls and shit. fuck that. I liked Lightning too as well as many other characters from the first one. Not touching another shit excuse for a FF until XV. Now that looks amazing and have not been disappointed in Nomura's work yet.

Piko
07-10-2013, 11:12 PM
So, I've been dabbling with the ffxiv beta these last few days. Any opinions? Seems cool. Typical mmo though. Lvl 9 lancer.

Jon
07-11-2013, 12:53 AM
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD information (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/09/final-fantasy-xx-2-sd-vs-hd-video-pre-order-for-art-book-edition/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PSBlog+(PlayStation.Blog))

Looking forward to fighting the Dark Aeons and the non-nerfed Omega Weapon.

EDIT: currently on my 16th playthrough of Final Fantasy VI. I've managed to play and beat this game once a year, pretty much every year since release. Still haven't found anything I like more for summoning than the Esper system.

Piko
07-11-2013, 07:28 AM
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD information (http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/07/09/final-fantasy-xx-2-sd-vs-hd-video-pre-order-for-art-book-edition/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PSBlog+(PlayStation.Blog))

Looking forward to fighting the Dark Aeons and the non-nerfed Omega Weapon.

EDIT: currently on my 16th playthrough of Final Fantasy VI. I've managed to play and beat this game once a year, pretty much every year since release. Still haven't found anything I like more for summoning than the Esper system.

That's one game I regret not finishing. Got to the end, got stuck, and wandered off. Easily, one of my favorites of the series though.

nemesiswontdie
07-14-2013, 02:19 AM
So apparently the HD remake of FFX and X2 will be getting new endings.
http://www.gamespot.com/news/final-fantasy-x-x-2-hd-remaster-to-feature-bonus-30-minute-cutscene-6411067

Shadaloo
08-08-2013, 12:21 PM
currently on my 16th playthrough of Final Fantasy VI. I've managed to play and beat this game once a year, pretty much every year since release.

You, sir, get a great big fistbump from me. I do the exact same thing. Love that game to pieces.

Piko
08-08-2013, 02:14 PM
You, sir, get a great big fistbump from me. I do the exact same thing. Love that game to pieces.

I'm at the end of it (never finished it), and kinda wandered off. Once you reach the world of ruin, it kinda dies down for me. Especially when I'm at a point where i've found just about everything and all I have left is grinding (ultima) and kefka's tower.

Shadaloo
08-09-2013, 03:16 PM
Aw, nuts to Ultima. I mean, it's nice to have, but Genji Glove + Offering, or Offering + Fixed Dice for Setzer...the list goes on. The game's breakable to the point where on playthroughs I feel like one has to struggle not to destroy it. If you've got everything, I'd say just shoot for the tower and be done with it. I like the overall open-endedness of the world of Ruin; it's a great feeling knowing you've got tons of stuff to do, and being able to tackle said tasks in any order you choose, if at all (granted, some places are better left until others are done first).

Piko
08-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Is it true leveling doesn't really matter? I saw somewhere that magic and the lvl bonuses are what really help out. And I have the gloves AND the dice. Only sidequests I have left are the dragons and the cult tower (which is magic only...). Plus, I finally found the growth egg.

I'm not sure if I feel overwhelmed by how much it has for you to do, or that I'm burned out and ready to be done with it.

Shadaloo
08-12-2013, 08:31 PM
I think if you're anywhere near 50-60, you can do it. It matters, but not to a huge extent. I'd recommend tackling the tower if you're big on using magic, as the reward makes a magic user a psychotic powerhouse. Just don't go up there and take on that boss without Life 3. The dragons may be worth it for the experience in taking them out, as they're not too tough and can be beaten with a trick or two. And I don't think any of the bosses in Kefka's tower barring Goddess and maybe the second round of the end boss fights are very challenging as long as you're relatively prepared.

You can actually get a few more growth eggs through the colloseum, by betting tintinabulums/tintinabars (which can be had by betting a megalixir). If you need more magic fast, grind in the small desert just south of Maranda, and make sure you have someone with a guaranteed hit attack to nail the Cactuars.

Piko
08-12-2013, 08:38 PM
Where would I find tintinabulums? I ran through some of the tower before warping out. I had to do a lot of healing, but it seemed possible. And I read somewhere about a relic that makes every spell cost 1mp. Where would I find that (if it exists)?

Shadaloo
08-15-2013, 04:55 PM
If you haven't got one by now, it may be tricky. Two were acquirable in the World of Balance by delivering all of the letters for the soldier in Mobilz, and by doing well at the Emperor's banquet (talking to and fighting all soldiers and answering the right questions). In the World of Ruin, using the Morph ability from the Ragnarok esper on a Stray Cat, which you'll find in the Veldt every so often if you fought them in the World of Balance (which hopefully you did, it's one of Gau's best rages) - that will sometimes work. Alternately you can fight Tonberry enemies in Umaro's cave, who give it as a drop (probably rare, but still the best option).

Alternately, it seems using the Morph ability on Harpy (giant bird) type enemies has a slim chance to convert them straight into a growth egg. Might be your best bet. I think there are some around Darrill's tomb on the world map, and I know there's one in the Phoenix cave.

The 1 MP relic is the Celestriad/Economizer, and it can be won from Brachiosaurs, the single toughest normal enemy in the game, located in dinosaur forest (a really great place to level up) north of the Veldt. If you're going to take them on, save often, because even the common T-Rex enemies in that place pack a wallop. Bring Ribbons, because the Brachiosaur frequently hits with status effects on everyone. And it likes to use Ultima after four turns, sometimes. You may want to just vanish/doom it; it's arguably harder than Kefka in all seriousness.

Piko
08-15-2013, 09:53 PM
Ah nice. I'll give that a try then.