PDA

View Full Version : Closer To God - blue spine version?

TheLazenby
06-25-2013, 12:21 AM
My local Exchange has a 9-track "Closer To God" CD with a blue spine - rather than the yellowish one I'm used to. This is the only copy I've ever seen like this.

Anyone know if it's worth something?

sheepdean
06-25-2013, 12:28 AM
http://www.nincatalog.com/item.asp?key=01-00928

It might be worth something, this should be in Marketplace and they'll know there better what it's worth, if anything

BenAkenobi
06-25-2013, 04:57 AM
i have a "theory" that's not a misprint but a regular edition with sun fading. reasons are: first, i've seen that same effect of other printed materials which were exposed to bright light for a long time. second, i held in my hands two Closer to god CDs and both had discoloration but to different degree (will add picture later)

TheBang
06-25-2013, 06:36 AM
Yup, this is totally due to sun fade damage. My copy happens to have this, and it was not originally like that (a lot of my media have been sun fade damaged on the spines). If you check the spine on the other side (the side facing inside on the shelf), you'll find the normal color.

Sun fade damage tends to disproportionately affect red colors first. Not quite sure why on this release why yellowish - red = blue, but that's what happens.

TheLazenby
06-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Yes - the other side did have the correct color; and the blue tint ended exactly at the join to the back cover.

I thought maybe it could be a printing glitch, like one of the component colors was missing. CD covers with sun fade damage tend to look washed out and pale; the blue spine is very vivid and crisp.

DVYDRNS
06-26-2013, 11:01 AM
same issue here. sun fading.

heavenly_bearded
06-26-2013, 11:07 AM
Years ago on old ets we had this discussion. I did many tests using water and sunlight to try to reproduce the blue spine that you see on Closer. None would give the same effect. We came to the conclusion that this was a manufacturing error. When the inserts for the CDs are made, each color is put onto one section of the insert at a time. The paper actually runs through the printing machine 6-7 times before the finished product comes out. These CDs have these blue spines because the person running the machine was lazy and at one point, the red ink ran out and some ran through without the ink(there is no red on the art, but the red ink is used with the other colors to make the color you see). How this gets past the QC? The completed product is given a quick once over before being packed into a box for distribution. The QC person probably spends about 5 seconds looking at each CD for flaws. A quick check of front and back. I worked in printing running these machines and ran into these same errors on many different things. I guarantee you, this is not caused by sunlight or water damage.

heavenly_bearded
06-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Also, there are other discolored versions of these CDs. Not always just the spine. I have a UK Closer that has it on the spine and it runs across the bottom of the front as well as TPD white spine, and TPD white spine that has the discoloration on the bottom front. How did I do these tests? Old car sitting in the driveway for the entire summer of 2007. I always have a huge shelf of extra nin goods. I took 5 Closers, all with the same spines. Opened and placed water on the spines of 2. Let one sit inside in front of a window to mimic the effects of sitting in a record store, let one sit in the car with only spine exposed. Did the same without water and finally one just sitting outside in direct sunlight. The ones in the car surprisingly did not fade as much as the one outside in direct sunlight. But the spine turned red, meaning that the blue ink actually fades off first. Manufacturing error, not sun-damage.

BenAkenobi
06-26-2013, 11:39 AM
well, in my defence, what else one would think after seeing these two side by side?
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii574/benakenobi/img040_zpsfecd653a.jpg

*high-fives heavenly_bearded for scientific approach*

heavenly_bearded
06-26-2013, 11:47 AM
Ever seen a black spine version? Maybe that one has too much direct moonlight?

EDIT: Here is my Australia version with brighter discolored spine. Maybe the sun shines brighter in AU? The reason I point this out, notice the small spot that is still the original green. Had this been done by sun damage, the entire spine would be blue. I have always and will always stand by manufacturing error.

http://i389.photobucket.com/albums/oo340/sexmachine23_photos/IMG_3833_zps493623fe.jpg (http://s389.photobucket.com/user/sexmachine23_photos/media/IMG_3833_zps493623fe.jpg.html)

TheLazenby
06-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Eh, I'll pick it up. Nice little collectable.

Not as cool as finding, say, Halo 00 in an Exchange (no, that's never happened - and I'd pass out if it did) but still nice. :-P

heavenly_bearded
06-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Not as cool as finding, say, Halo 00 in an Exchange (no, that's never happened - and I'd pass out if it did) but still nice. :-P
You mean a Suck/Supernaut bootleg? You must pass out easy. If you really want one, drop me a pm. I even have in the works: "The stamp used for the back insert". I guess we shall see...

sheepdean
06-26-2013, 12:56 PM

I think I saw 2 or 3 of them last week in a second hand shop. Along with a few Purest Feeling boots. You're looking in all the wrong places :P

Blackbookpress1984
06-26-2013, 01:08 PM
I think I saw 2 or 3 of them last week in a second hand shop. Along with a few Purest Feeling boots. You're looking in all the wrong places :P

what were they asking in that second hand shop, and if the price is decent, mind picking one up for me?

Blackbookpress1984
06-26-2013, 01:12 PM
And more on point, yes these indeed are misprints. Like HB said, the ink fades differently depending on color, and they way they print them running them through 6 or 7 times is all very accurate. However, I'm sure many of you know, similar effects can be cause by sunlight. (which is why at one point I was looking for uv protective cd sleeves((no luck on that one by the way)) Im sure many of you have also seen the copy of Broken on ebay lately that the seller is trying to get 8 or ten dollars for, THAT item is sun faded, not a misprint like this. And in a good market you might get a couple bucks for it, nor more than $10 id say. but many record stores will never notice that little misprint, or they will assume its damage from sunlight and it will end up in the dollar bin (that's where I got both of mine. :)

BenAkenobi
06-26-2013, 01:39 PM
Along with a few Purest Feeling boots

i'm not exactly trying to find out if sheepdean can be bothered with requests, but if there's an original made in Italy version, i'm all ears ;)

Leviathant
06-26-2013, 01:54 PM
Ever seen a black spine version? Maybe that one has too much direct moonlight?

EDIT: Here is my Australia version with brighter discolored spine. Maybe the sun shines brighter in AU? The reason I point this out, notice the small spot that is still the original green. Had this been done by sun damage, the entire spine would be blue. I have always and will always stand by manufacturing error.

UV rays are actually more powerful in AU. Having visited, you can feel the difference between sun in the US and sun in Australia.

And that small spot in the middle could be where, for example, a small colored sticker on the spine might have indicated a pricing scheme (Red = $9.99, Green = $14.99, Blue = $24.99, for example) - which also would tie in well with the spine being discolored from sitting on the shelf for so long.

It's a more plausible theory than anything I can think up for how it would be a printing error, considering the spine does not get printed separately from the rest of the insert.

sheepdean
06-26-2013, 02:15 PM
what were they asking in that second hand shop, and if the price is decent, mind picking one up for me?
It was £25 for "super rare release!!!" - I can see if he's still got them, but afaik, that is pretty damn overpriced.

Along with a few Purest Feeling boots

i'm not exactly trying to find out if @sheepdean (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=350) can be bothered with requests, but if there's an original made in Italy version, i'm all ears ;)
It wasn't sadly, I've been after one of those myself heh