PDA

View Full Version : David Lynch directs the "Came Back Haunted" video!

Pages : [1] 2

neorev
06-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Great news!!
Didn't someone actually say this on here??

David Lynch (http://www.nme.com/artists/david-lynch) is set to join forces with Nine Inch Nails (http://www.nme.com/artists/nine-inch-nails) in order to direct the video for their song 'Came Back Haunted'.

The band's frontman Trent Reznor tweeted a picture of himself and the legendary film director earlier today (June 18) and Pitchfork (http://pitchfork.com/news/51231-david-lynch-to-direct-nine-inch-nails-came-back-haunted-video/) reports that the pair are once again.

http://www.nme.com/news/nine-inch-nails/70948

allegro
06-20-2013, 12:20 AM
oooohhh this is giving me Deep flashbacks

neorev
06-20-2013, 01:23 AM
oooohhh this is giving me Deep flashbacks

How deep?
:p

jesus
06-20-2013, 01:49 AM
I thought this was somewhere around here, so a new vid next month sounds great... let's see how this works out

katara
06-20-2013, 04:01 AM
I'm expecting the worst. But then again, this could be the greatest thing, so...

hobochic
06-20-2013, 04:38 AM
Too late. Nothing will ever beat |mando|'s video:

http://youtu.be/qvazlMqEjew

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1720-NEW-SINGLE-Came-Back-Haunted?p=91696#post91696

ambergris
06-20-2013, 08:45 AM
For real??? That's sensational news, in my opinion.

PhoenixML
06-20-2013, 08:59 AM
Alright! So we have 1/3 chance we won't actually see the video. Bets are on!

jesus
06-20-2013, 10:35 AM
Alright! So we have 1/3 chance we won't actually see the video. Bets are on!
hahahahhahahahahhaahha hopefully this time we see the video

Mataxia
06-20-2013, 02:42 PM
Too late. Nothing will ever beat @|mando| (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=280) 's video:

http://youtu.be/qvazlMqEjew

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1720-NEW-SINGLE-Came-Back-Haunted?p=91696#post91696
I can't help but picture this video in my head every time I listen to the song now.

cashpiles (closed)
06-20-2013, 08:52 PM
I really wish they would do a video for the next single instead. I don't know if Came Back Haunted can capture the public like a "The Perfect Drug"-type song could.

Nevertheless, the video itself should be more than interesting enough...

Prettybrokenspiral
06-22-2013, 03:11 AM
The only reason Lost Highway or The Perfect Drug got as much hype and attention back then was because Trent was at his peak as a celebrity. If he hadn't been involved in the soundtrack, it's doubtful anyone outside of Lynch's core audience would have given two shits about either.

CBH is five times as catchy as The Perfect Drug. If Trent released The Perfect Drug today, it would generate zero public interest.

eversonpoe
06-22-2013, 11:33 AM
The only reason Lost Highway or The Perfect Drug got as much hype and attention back then was because Trent was at his peak as a celebrity. If he hadn't been involved in the soundtrack, it's doubtful anyone outside of Lynch's core audience would have given two shits about either.

CBH is five times as catchy as The Perfect Drug. If Trent released The Perfect Drug today, it would generate zero public interest.

while i will agree that trent's involvement got more people into it, it wasn't just him. the soundtrack also has a smashing pumpkins song, some david bowie, and various other artists who all have pretty big fan bases. it was also the only film to ever advertise having gotten two thumbs down from siskel & ebert. it garnered plenty of attention on its own.

and i highly doubt you're correct about your second point.

Vertigo
06-22-2013, 12:00 PM
Am I losing my mind or were there plans for a further collaboration between Reznor and Lynch after Lost Highway? I can't find anything on the subject.
(...before Came Back Haunted, in case that isn't obvious.)

Jon
06-22-2013, 12:08 PM
while i will agree that trent's involvement got more people into it, it wasn't just him. the soundtrack also has a smashing pumpkins song, some david bowie, and various other artists who all have pretty big fan bases. it was also the only film to ever advertise having gotten two thumbs down from siskel & ebert. it garnered plenty of attention on its own.

and i highly doubt you're correct about your second point.

It was Lynch's first film since the Twin Peaks era, as well. Also, let's not forget the soundtrack included an outtake from 'Antichrist Superstar' (Manson was considered a posterboy for goth/scary at this time). Then there's Rammstein; this was around when Du Hast was blowing up over here in the States.

hobochic
06-22-2013, 06:04 PM
Dying to see what Trent and Dave Letterman are up to.

http://d3s695o1g63xqg.cloudfront.net/1uCE12_1gn.jpg

Sapo
06-22-2013, 10:18 PM
I miss Lynch. He wasn't doing any film work for a while. Hey, and Trent wasn't doing NIN for a while. I guess this means they are both coming back... uh... *don't say it*

Magtig
06-22-2013, 10:28 PM
Came Back Haunted seems like good subject matter for a Lynch film from a thematic standpoint. My secret little hope is that this video (or something like it) sparks Lynch into making another feature.

ZeroisGreg
06-22-2013, 11:21 PM
just bought some david lynch coffee just to get ready for this.

Dragonkaos
06-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Great, two heros working together, this month is a shock of great nin news.

dbrekke
06-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Trent just announced that the video will be out at the END OF THE WEEK!

Millionaire
06-26-2013, 03:08 AM
Its just wishful thinking on my part, but I think it would be great if Trent called up film directors he knows from previous projects to direct other videos for Hesitation Marks. Just off the top of my head:

Shinya Tsukamoto: I think Tsukamoto's frenetic cyberpunk style would be spot on for a NIN music video. You could probably play the Tetsuo movies and Bullet Ballet on mute and play some NIN over them and they would go together.

David Fincher: Fincher is open to music videos again, having directed a Timberlake video, so it would be nice if he did a quip pro quo for the guy who scored his last two movies. I thought his Only video was OK, but I think he could do more than that if he had another shot at it. Something more in the line of his Perfect Circle video. The opening to Seven is, in a way, kind of a great music video to the Closer remix. I also think the opening to Dragon Tattoo for Immigrant Song was fantastic.

Oliver Stone: Stone's movie output lately hasn't been his best, but I think he still does interesting things with visuals in his films. His visual style from U-Turn and Savages could work for a NIN video.

John Hillcoat: I thought the Ice Age video was decent, but his films look like they would visually fit in with NIN. Especially something that looked like The Road.

Mark Romanek: He's a film director now so he qualifies. I'm always down for another Reznor/Romanek video.

hobochic
06-26-2013, 03:23 AM
David Fincher: Fincher is open to music videos again, having directed a Timberlake video, so it would be nice if he did a quip pro quo for the guy who scored his last two movies. I thought his Only video was OK, but I think he could do more than that if he had another shot at it.

The Only video felt like an experiment to mess around with 3D ideas and looked more like an Apple ad than a music video.
Trent should call Mark Romanek while he's messing around with TDS imagery, but him to choose David Lynch is kinda mind blowing to be honest, and couldn't expect anything cooler I have to add.

The opening to Seven is, in a way, kind of a great music video to the Closer remix.

Those opening titles were done by Kyle Cooper from Imaginary Forces. He now runs Prologue and still works with opening titles for movies and motion graphics. I'd love to see him working with NIN material to create some visuals.

Vertigo
06-26-2013, 03:55 AM
The Only video got me into Nine Inch Nails in the first place, in my opinion it does a superb job of capturing the song's vibe, pace and theme.
I'd love to see Tsukamoto try his hand at a NIN video though.

thefragile_jake
06-26-2013, 12:19 PM
Man, I really can't wait to see this. That picture NIN put up from the shooting of the video has me all kinds of pumped and eagerly awaiting it. I could totally use a Nine Inch Nails video too to liven up my days at my new job.

Dragoro
06-27-2013, 07:53 AM
Recent story about David Lynch

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Hollywood/2013/06/25/lynch-lost-movies-business

"It's a very depressing picture. With alternative cinema – any sort of cinema that isn't mainstream – you're fresh out of luck in terms of getting theatre space and having people come to see it. Even if I had a big idea, the world is different now," the filmmaker recently told The Independent (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/features/waxing-lyrical-david-lynch-on-his-new-passion--and-why-he-may-never-make-another-movie-8665457.html). "Unfortunately, my ideas are not what you'd call commercial, and money really drives the boat these days. So I don't know what my future is. I don't have a clue what I'm going to be able to do in the world of cinema."

skullboy0
06-27-2013, 11:09 AM
Preview pics of the video

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nine-inch-nails-photos-preview-came-back-haunted-clip-20130627

Says it premieres tomorrow on Vevo

BRoswell
06-27-2013, 12:22 PM
I'd love it if Trent did some work on Lynch's next album (after The Big Dream of course). Crazy Clown Time isn't for everybody, but it was one of my favorite albums of 2011, and I'd love to see what Trent could do on a David Lynch track.

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 01:04 PM
Lynch is kinda past his prime. Looks like they shot the video on DSLR, so i'm not expecting great things.

Give Rob S. a decent budget, and he'll do better than Lynch.

ryanmcfly
06-27-2013, 01:22 PM
...and people are already bitching without seeing the video.

eversonpoe
06-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Lynch is kinda past his prime. Looks like they shot the video on DSLR, so i'm not expecting great things.

first of all, DSLRs can do a hell of a lot of awesome stuff. the season 5 finale of house was shot entirely on a DSLR and it looked incredible.

second, lynch is not past his prime. he's making some pretty interesting music, and trying to figure out how to continue being a filmmaker in an industry that no longer has a place for weird/visionary directors.

not knocking rob, because i love his work all around, but david lynch is on a completely different level. rob has never written/produced/directed/edited/sound designed a feature-length film. he doesn't have the experience (or the mind) of lynch. the comparison is nonsense.

BRoswell
06-27-2013, 02:00 PM

I love Rob's work, but no, he can't. I'm pretty sure he would agree too.

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 03:59 PM
My point about the dslr was that someone like Lynch shouldn't be budget constrained, and so there is no real reason to use DSLRs at this point. They used a 5D mkii on that one episode of "House" because they were shooting in very confined spaces, and 5 years ago, there was nothing else that small that could create usable footage.

As far as my provocative Rob S. statement. Yah, I know don't have much evidence to support that statement, other than instinct. Of all the HTDA videos, his work on the Loop Closes was the best.

That, and David Lynch is an old farty pants, who whines because other people won't finance his crappy vanity projects. And he hasn't made a good movie since the Elephant Man.

http://entertainment.stv.tv/showbiz/325148-david-lynch-slams-modern-film-viewing-habits/

/end_rant

jmtd
06-27-2013, 04:08 PM
I half expect the audio to run backwards in the video.

Leviathant
06-27-2013, 04:15 PM
My point about the dslr was that someone like Lynch shouldn't be budget constrained, and so there is no real reason to use DSLRs at this point. They used a 5D mkii on that one episode of "House" because they were shooting in very confined spaces, and 5 years ago, there was nothing else that small that could create usable footage.

But did it look bad? Would it have looked better if they had used the equipment they normally shot on? And would a music video benefit from being shot on, what, film? Or a RED? I frankly don't get the complaint here.

As far as my provocative Rob S. statement. Yah, I know don't have much evidence to support that statement, other than instinct. Of all the HTDA videos, his work on the Loop Closes was the best.

Honestly, I'm just glad the video's not animated, like DL's previous music videos. I'm not really sure how you'd compare The Loop Closes to, well, anything by David Lynch. That video is less about directing and more about effecting. A bunch of it is stock footage. Your statement about Rob Sheridan isn't provocative, it's naive.

That, and David Lynch is an old farty pants, who whines because other people won't finance his crappy vanity projects. And he hasn't made a good movie since the Elephant Man.

Tell me how you really feel ;)

BRoswell
06-27-2013, 04:33 PM
My point about the dslr was that someone like Lynch shouldn't be budget constrained...

Right, because the only reason to shoot on a DSLR is because you have no money.

eversonpoe
06-27-2013, 04:38 PM

http://entertainment.stv.tv/showbiz/325148-david-lynch-slams-modern-film-viewing-habits/

/end_rant

complaining about the film industry not being a good outlet for single-minded creative people anymore (due to the obsession of money-making instead of art-making) and complaining about the way people watch films these days are both totally valid.

also, his "crappy vanity projects" are films that a whole lot of people really like. if you think he hasn't made a "good" film since the elephant man, i really don't understand your definition of good film.

DigitalChaos
06-27-2013, 04:47 PM

This! Also, as you can see in the pictures, it's also in black and white. This entire video is going to be just a glorified demo for some instagram filters.

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 04:50 PM
Right, because the only reason to shoot on a DSLR is because you have no money.

Yes, welcome to 2013, where budget IS the only reason to use a DSLR on set.

To be clear, I'm not saying Rob S. will ever be as great as David Lynch was. I'm saying I'd take a 33 year old Rob vs. a 68 year old Lynch, if i was trying to make a video to attract new NIN fans.

thelastdisciple
06-27-2013, 04:51 PM
first of all, DSLRs can do a hell of a lot of awesome stuff. the season 5 finale of house was shot entirely on a DSLR and it looked incredible.
Also see the movie Act of Valor, it's cinematography is gorgeous. All filmed on the 5D Mark II baby!

dominik
06-27-2013, 04:56 PM

To be clear, I'm not saying Rob S. will ever be as great as David Lynch was. I'm saying I'd take a 33 year old Rob vs. a 68 year old Lynch, if i was trying to make a video to attract new NIN fans.

fuck, you are an arrogant asshole.

thelastdisciple
06-27-2013, 04:57 PM
Not to mention ageist.

DigitalChaos
06-27-2013, 04:58 PM
I heard Trent Reznor doesn't age.

billpulsipher
06-27-2013, 05:00 PM
who gives a fuck about attracting "new" NIN fans...cater to the old ones, that's all that matters...

theimage13
06-27-2013, 05:02 PM

Can you explain why with thoughtful reasoning? I'm genuinely curious to hear a reason other than "because X camera is better, that's why".

MAD
06-27-2013, 05:07 PM
dslr
I bet I can shoot better videos and take better pictures with a point-and-shoot-6MP old camera than you can with a full blown camera and a dolly.

Take advice from a couple other guys. It's not the camera that's important, it's important how you use that camera and how you can maximize its results.

Lynch can shoot a video with a rock and a woodpecker, Flintstones style, and it would still be fantastic.

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Yep. But that fact alone doesn't make me wrong.

Not to mention ageist.

Sounds like you're in denial. You might want to fix that, or your fantasy sports teams will suffer.

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Can you explain why with thoughtful reasoning? I'm genuinely curious to hear a reason other than "because X camera is better, that's why".

In short, because the 5D has a shitty internal codec, which makes the camera's dynamic range seem even more limited than it already is, and doesn't even output true 1080. It also suffers from moire and rolling shutter. It can be hacked to output raw, which improves the dynamic range and resolution, but I don't think that's what they are using.

Do you want more detail?

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 05:23 PM
I bet I can shoot better videos and take better pictures with a point-and-shoot-6MP old camera than you can with a full blown camera and a dolly.

Cheap talk. Prove it,and let's see what you got.

Take advice from a couple other guys. It's not the camera that's important, it's important how you use that camera and how you can maximize its results.

You might not be able to tell the difference between something shot on RED versus and iPhone, but most people can.

KarenLeslie
06-27-2013, 05:31 PM
Cheap talk. Prove it,and let's see what you got.

You've already admitted that you're an arrogant asshole, why would you expect anyone to put forth any effort to prove anything to you?

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 05:33 PM
You've already admitted that you're an arrogant asshole, why would you expect anyone to put forth any effort to prove anything to you?

I don't. Duhhhh.

Dragoro
06-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Wish there was an ignore function on this board.

jesus
06-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Its so awesome the promotion for this album, we are gonna see a new video tomorrow people. That's so great, the last NIN video was Survivalism a long time ago, I dont know you but I'm excited to see it

slave2thewage
06-27-2013, 05:41 PM
Wish there was an ignore function on this board.
There is such a function, but then you miss out at laughing at these fools.

Frozen Beach
06-27-2013, 05:45 PM

/end_rant
David Lynch doesn't use dslr because of budget issues, he uses it because he enjoys using it over film.

And calling him an "old farty pants" shows how really mature and intelligent you are. Also, you're really gonna talk trash about him for "whining", when really, the only one whining is you about a video you haven't even seen yet? Go eat a dick.

MAD
06-27-2013, 05:47 PM
Prove it
Your (http://www.behance.net/gallery/Macro-Photography/8551099) - turn (https://secure.flickr.com/photos/marius-andrei_dima/). Shot with a Kodak Easyshare C613.
Let's take it outside punk and leave this thread for its actual purpose.

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 05:52 PM
Your (http://www.behance.net/gallery/Macro-Photography/8551099) - turn (https://secure.flickr.com/photos/marius-andrei_dima/). Shot with a Kodak Easyshare C613.

Well played. I'll PM you my response.

To everyone else.

I love the song. I hope that the video is smashing.

Frozen Beach
06-27-2013, 05:55 PM
I will always be of the belief, no matter what, that it doesn't matter what you use, as long as you use it to the best of your ability. Take for example this short film made by Park Chan-wook. He used an Apple Iphone 4, and for what it is, it looks marvelous.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tRlqPQ7dAw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tRlqPQ7dAw)

Dragoro
06-27-2013, 05:56 PM

Sweet photos MAD! Add you as a contact on flickr!

d-signet
06-27-2013, 06:09 PM
In short, because the 5D has a shitty internal codec, which makes the camera's dynamic range seem even more limited than it already is, and doesn't even output true 1080. It also suffers from moire and rolling shutter. It can be hacked to output raw, which improves the dynamic range and resolution, but I don't think that's what they are using.

Do you want more detail?

yeah, and once that's run through final cut etc that will make a fuck load of difference.

sorry dude, but having worked in video industry for a few years you're sounding like a petulant university graduate. You can't possibly think that david lynch couldn't make a better video with a VGA webcam than you could do with a RED

part of the whole expertise is knowing what hardware, what stock, what media, what processing, what final output media to use. KNOWING that a certain camera, a certain codec, a certain lens, a certain lighting setup , will give you effect 'A' - whereas just changing the bulb in light #2 and boosting the violin on the soundtrack will totally change that effect.

you don't know what look, what texture, what feel he's looking for with this video, because YOU HAVENT SEEN THE VIDEO YET

you have NO reason, absolutely NO basis on which to say "camera x is better than camera y for this feel"

you know who DOES know the answer to that decision?

DAVID FUCKING LYNCH

is the video going to look like Only ? Closer? Survivalism? They all needed different hardware setups. Would it have been better with a fucking Kinect just capturing data? Is it supposed to look a bit "80's" ? Is it supposed to look like a "found footage" horror movie? who the fuck knows? i'll tell you who...DAVID FUCKING LYNCH

you're ranting like a kid against a jedi master

shut before you embarrass yourself even more.

Torgo
06-27-2013, 06:11 PM
Do you yell at Picasso for his choice of paintbrush? As long as you enjoy the final product, it doesn't matter what was used.

Also - how do you know they weren't shooting RAW? Were you on set? Are you best buddies with David Lynch?...

Regardless, there have been some great things shot on 5D Mark III's and II's. It's not about what you have, it's how you use it.

(Here's a link to some example footage and article of making your 5D footage look like it was shot on an Arri Alexa I was just reading. (http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/hunter-hampton-richards-5d-markiii-resolve-alexa-lut/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nofilmschool+(nofilmschool))) (http://nofilmschool.com/2013/06/hunter-hampton-richards-5d-markiii-resolve-alexa-lut/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nofilmschool+(nofilmschool))

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 06:21 PM
yeah, and once that's run through final cut etc that will make a fuck load of difference.

sorry dude, but having worked in video industry for a few years you're sounding like a petulant university graduate. You can't possibly think that david lynch couldn't make a better video with a VGA webcam than you could do with a RED

part of the whole expertise is knowing what hardware, what stock, what media, what processing to use.

you're ranting like a kid against a jedi master

shit up before you embarrass yourself even more.

I never said I could do better than D. Lynch. Not with any camera, or any other resources for that matter.

If you want to continue a discussion about video work flow, i'm happy to do it via PM.

thelastdisciple
06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Just report back to us and let us know when you've been schooled by Torgo. :P

HurtinMinorKey
06-27-2013, 07:14 PM
Just report back to us and let us know when you've been schooled by Torgo. :P

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwta224E4e1qb0srwo1_500.jpg

artdeco
06-27-2013, 07:53 PM
Camera Schmamra! This is the fella who directed 'Mulholland Drive' and 'Fire Walk With Me' - two films that make me piss my pants. I, for one, am optimistic.

Frozen Beach
06-27-2013, 08:06 PM
I find it funny though a lot of people critique David Lynch because his films tend to be very weird and awkward. Some people even think he's incapable of directing a linear film. That's complete hogwash. Watch The Straight Story if you think that's true. While it's not his best, it still shows he's capable of doing it. He just chooses not to because they don't really interest him as much.

Ash512
06-27-2013, 08:13 PM

Do you want more detail?

What you're overlooking is the fact that it's going to be mostly shown on the web, with most people watching it in SD on YouTube and won't be able to tell the difference anyway. I agree with you that 5Ds aren't quite good enough to shoot features but that doesn't mean you can't do a good job with a DSLR. Heck, some of my favorite films were shot on MiniDv (Kiarostami). That's just very superficial thinking, reminding me of high school metalhead kids who'd diss Radiohead because it wasn't hard enough to play. Who cares what he's shooting on, seriously?

And by the way, that's coming from a Red lover who hates working with DSLRs, and who's not really a David Lynch fan either.

slave2thewage
06-27-2013, 08:18 PM
This camera discussion is nerdy even for ETS.

sheepdean
06-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Maybe he's not even filming it on that camera and was just taking stills for storyboarding.

Maybe we shouldn't judge a video without even seeing it.

Maybe, maybe just once.

Leviathant
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Where's that "Why do you like ETS better than nin.com" thread, because this thread? This is why.

Bravo, d-signet - I only regret that I have but one like to give for your post.

DigitalChaos
06-27-2013, 10:35 PM
I don't know if this is some intense trolling going on or not... but ether way, fuck me the last half of this thread is hilarious and awesome.

KrakenWakes
06-28-2013, 12:09 AM

Do you want more detail?

They used 5D's and 7D's to shoot parts of the Avengers.

Fist Fuck
06-28-2013, 02:44 AM
I just recently registered again, but I've been reading the ETS for many years. You people are fucking hilarious. There's a new Nine Inch Nails video coming out (!) today (!), directed by David Lynch (!) and all you do is argue about the camera you see him use in 4, 5 behind the scenes photos?

I'm more than excited for this, and I rarely get excited for music videos anymore. This could be a one-shot of Trent singing into the camera filmed with an iPhone and it'd be a masterpience, simply because of the creative energy in the room. Many of Lynch's works are weird, that's why they're so interesting and why I've watched them more than once.

Also, the best music videos I know had low budgets and they're always the best videos in my opinion. Key word: limitation, and bringing out the maximum with what you have. Besides, we don't even know their budget. We don't even know if all of the video is shot with a DSLR. We don't know shit. If I was Trent and I read this thread I'd be incredibly frustrated and never release sneak peeks in any form ever again.

Wolfkiller
06-28-2013, 03:16 AM
If I was Trent and I read this thread I'd be incredibly frustrated and never release sneak peeks in any form ever again.

Trent releases sneak peeks with the sole intention of coming on here and laughing at his fans.
PS HEY TRENT YOU DELETED ME FROM FACEBOOK YOU DICK. I was there waaaaaay before your wife added you. Just saying.

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 05:14 AM
It's 11.14a.m. in Ireland. WHERE'S THIS DAMNED VIDEO ALREADY?!

WorzelG
06-28-2013, 05:35 AM
Yeah, I have a window of two hours while my baby is napping, then full on 2 kids frenzy the rest of the day, show us the video now!

Prettybrokenspiral
06-28-2013, 06:13 AM
Where's that "Why do you like ETS better than nin.com" thread, because this thread? This is why.

That's my thread! Right here!

You're preaching to Noah about the flood, bro. I've been around the bulletin boards since the NIN site went live all those years ago on the Fragile release date. One of my favorite things about new Trent-anything is the back-and-forth bickerfest we're treated to. There were some fucking doozies on the Spiral, I remember.

I can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning and read all of the banter about the new video over my morning latte.

sheepdean
06-28-2013, 08:22 AM
lol @ anyone who thought "video should be out friday" meant it would even be out this month

heavenly_bearded
06-28-2013, 08:37 AM
So I've got this flashdrive... lolzers

Sorry, had to be done :)

r_z
06-28-2013, 08:39 AM
I can't wait to wake up tomorrow morning and read all of the banter about the new video over my morning latte.

Fun Fact: In German, 'morgen' means 'morning', while 'Latte' means '...glory'. So by accident you just wrote a funny sentence that made sense either way.

http://i.imgur.com/UmpOi.gif

That is all.

laci
06-28-2013, 09:06 AM
Here's the video: www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RN6pT3zL44

sheepdean
06-28-2013, 09:10 AM
If you have photosensitive epilepsy, don't watch this video, jesus christ it's flashy

heavenly_bearded
06-28-2013, 09:10 AM
yes yes yes!!!

danebraddy
06-28-2013, 09:11 AM
WOW. awesome.

Dragoro
06-28-2013, 09:13 AM
Well it appears that Reznor hasnt lost any of his anger lol

thefragile_jake
06-28-2013, 09:15 AM
Well that was fuckin fantastic! Bravo!

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 09:15 AM
1/3 Down In It, 1/3 Closer, 1/3 terrifying nightmare. I like it.

kitz
06-28-2013, 09:18 AM
While I was watching it I kept saying "oh that's so great that it's so bad"

I feel dizzy, my eyes burned out. :D Love it!

heavenly_bearded
06-28-2013, 09:18 AM
*Crappie-flops on the floor, foaming at the mouth*

Anyone else reminded of Tetsuo the Bullet Man?

Looks like you just made a profile this month and are basically a troll looking for some attention. There is no way anyone really does not like that video unless they are prone to seizures, in which case you should find a new kind of music to listen to. My guess is, not much will happen because all you are is a hungry troll looking for some eats. Your opinion is about worthless...
\/\/\/

Double edit: See what I mean? Feed the trolls and all you will get is more stupidity...
\/\/\/

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Wow, everyone liked it. I guess I just am not getting it. It looks like absolute garbage to me.

Someone spent all of 10 hours making this, tops.

Flame away.

There is no way anyone really does not like that video unless they are prone to seizures

Are you really that close minded and stupid? Probably not.

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Wow, everyone liked it. I guess I just am not getting it. It looks like absolute garbage to me.

Flame away.
Oh, I can't wait to see this.
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/179341/mj-thriller-popcorn-o.gif

danebraddy
I love how it is so obviously a David Lynch video, as long as someone was familiar with his work, they would know it's his without being told before hand.

<sarcasm> But imagine how much better it would have been if they used a RED camera instead... </sarcasm>

I love it, compliments the song and freaks me out a bit. Total win.

EDIT:
HurtinMinorKey - seriously, fuck off. You sound like a petulant 15 year old.

imail724
Guess Eric Avery's gonna have to sit this one out

MAD
06-28-2013, 09:22 AM
What the fuck?

Well, we can all agree that a DSLR was overkill, bwhahahaa.

My mind is full of fuck.

kitz
06-28-2013, 09:24 AM
What the fuck?

My mind is full of fuck.

I feel this everytime I watch something that was made by Lynch. He is true to his name.

Presideo
06-28-2013, 09:25 AM
It was like watching a gothed-out Hype Williams directing with a low budget. And 90's-era ESPN2 graphics spliced in at random for good measure.

Also, waiting for a user on Youtube to make an unfunny Michael J. Fox joke that will inevitably become a "Top Comment"...

becomingtom
06-28-2013, 09:26 AM
Parts of it remind me of the videos Josh Freese would do. Lightning bolts! lol But I'm not saying I don't like it, I do!

JessicaSarahS
06-28-2013, 09:29 AM
Well, I passed that epilepsy test this morning. :o

Parts of it remind me of the videos Josh Freese would do. Lightning bolts! lol But I'm not saying I don't like it, I do!

Bwahaha, yes!

r_z
06-28-2013, 09:30 AM
Already blocked in Germany. So that's that. Fuck our industry. Srsly.

halo33
"The pictures have a "We're In This Together" feel with all the black and
white and bright lights...I really enjoyed that video, can't wait to
see what's in store for this new one."

WTF is that all about?!

henryeatscereal
Liked it! it's closer to "Eraserhead" and farther from "Mullholand Drive", Lynch is awesome!

imail724
06-28-2013, 09:31 AM
I hate how the radio edit cuts out the synth line in the beginning. I love that part

Dragoro
06-28-2013, 09:31 AM
Already blocked in Germany. So that's that. Fuck our industry. Srsly. WTF? why is it blocked in Germany?

scorpiusdiamond
06-28-2013, 09:32 AM
WTF? why is it blocked in Germany?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blocking_of_YouTube_videos_in_Germany

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 09:35 AM
What the fuck?

My mind is full of fuck.

I agree. I guess maybe that was what i was afraid of. Definitely could have used an i phone to cut with the stock footage. But I don't see how that is a good thing.

halo33
06-28-2013, 09:35 AM
well. that sure was David Lynch.

rhet
06-28-2013, 09:37 AM
I hate how the radio edit cuts out the synth line in the beginning. I love that part

agreed.

it kind of made my head hurt but i still want to watch it again so i guess thats a good thing?

anyone else keep thinking trent had a Glasgow smile going on for some of it? i know he didn't but the red of his mouth kept making him look a bit joker-ish to me. *watches again*

Reznor2112
06-28-2013, 09:38 AM

YOU CAN FUCK OFF YOU HOMOEROTIC DOUCHE BAG!

Sorry, but jesus. Some of the greatest pieces of cinema were made using a DSLR in the past 5 years. I just graduated from film school and guess what everyone trained on??? DSLR and Red. So first off, before you make comments about DSLR and what kind of image they can provide, try studying up on your camera knowledge.

Obviously there is a particular reason Lynch used a DSLR and my guess would be the cost/ease of use/and time contraints. (have you every worked with a raw RED files, or edited actual film from an ARRI. NO I will bet my left nut you have not. And btw Rob uses FUCKING DSLRs.

On a side note...Love the video :rolleyes:

sheepdean
06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
So, all that flashing. It's a bit like a ... strobe light

plusminus
06-28-2013, 09:39 AM
Sorry to interrupt this circle jerk but that video is terrible. Not trying to troll, just expressing my opinion.

dominik
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Woah. That was.. interesting.

dzaver
06-28-2013, 09:43 AM
Sorry to interrupt this circle jerk but that video is terrible. Not trying to troll, just expressing my opinion.

I totally agree. I was expecting more from Lynch. The camera work is ok, but the animations are just plain horrible. Disappointed.

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 09:45 AM
People should stop listening to NIN if they don't like the video? Gurl, please. People are entitled not to like it.

exilajei
06-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Reminds me of some of Lynch's early work like The Grandmother or Six Men Getting Sick. Really like it! The last thing I was expecting him to do was use his art like this.

halo33
06-28-2013, 09:47 AM
Was kinda hoping for a cameo from this guy.
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdgimgHS1N1r8swmoo1_500.png

The Reason Being
06-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Yeah i've been trying so hard to be happy with the new artwork for the single and album but I just can't. I've eaten up everything they've done since 2005 so it was only a matter of time before I didn't like something they did. The songs alright but Hesitation Marks? Pictures of Downward Spiral teeth? Trent wearing make up and looking all angsty like it's 1998? Watching that video I actually cringed a little. I'm not trolling and have spent the last 10 years of my life completely loving everything he's put out, but this new "era" seems to be rubbing me the wrong way. :(

I've always enjoyed how "Forward thinking" Trent has been this last decade, but for the first time ever he seems to be "Backward Thinking". Maybe thats the point, who knows! That said, I still can't wait for the album and will gladly take all this back if its awesome.

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Sorry, but jesus. Some of the greatest pieces of cinema were made using a DSLR in the past 5 years.

Exaggerate much?

I just graduated from film school and guess what everyone trained on??? DSLR and Red. So first off, before you make comments about DSLR and what kind of image they can provide, try studying up on your camera knowledge.

So what you're saying is you wasted your money and you are now unemployed. Good for you!

I've edited R3D files before (rented), but never Alexa. I own a 5D2, 5D3, and a BMCC. But i'm sure you know soooooo much more than I do.

Tony
06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
Are you fucking twelve?

henryeatscereal
Did anyone felt like you just watched the tape from "Ringu"? I was expecting a phonecall...

Magtig
It's nice to see the smoke cloud from Lost finally getting another gig.

Ash512
06-28-2013, 09:51 AM

lol.
Whether you like the video or not, that's probably one hell of a postproduction job.
Wonder how much of it Lynch did by himself, by the way.

tremolo
06-28-2013, 09:53 AM
I liked it, but I found it very bizarre.

I'm not familiar with Lynch's work, so I guess this is his style? I don't get the whole imagery... the "winged girl" flipping left/right/left/right, the thunderbolts, the smoke, the red lines, the red squares... oh and the spooky face, yes, that spooky face.

I do like it though! It's out of the ordinary, different and refreshing, but I really wish I could understand it better.

Just by tying the lyrics to the imagery of the video, reminded me of a comment I read somewhere (maybe here?) that Came Back Haunted might be about a DMT trip, or some kind of psychedelic trip gone wrong...

Fred
06-28-2013, 09:54 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5_rn3vG3A

screwdriver
06-28-2013, 09:55 AM

there's a circle jerk going on? how do I get in on it?

kitz
06-28-2013, 09:55 AM
I do like it though! It's out of the ordinary, different and refreshing, but I really wish I could understand it better.

That's David Lynch for you :D

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 09:58 AM
lol.
Whether you like the video or not, that's probably one hell of a postproduction job.
Wonder how much of it Lynch did by himself, by the way.

Well I assume it took all of 30 mins to shoot. I think there was some stock footage in there too. What do think was so time consuming about the post production? Most of the flashing geometric shapes can be done pretty easily in things like Adobe After Effects.

Scarlet Siren
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
Something for me to watch and look forward to when I get back home :)
exiting before I see any spoilers!

danebraddy
06-28-2013, 09:59 AM
I do like it though! It's out of the ordinary, different and refreshing, but I really wish I could understand it better

I have thought those words every time I see a Lynch film for the first time... and second... and third...

Me: You're thinking of watching Lost Highway? Awesome! it's great...
Friend: Really? I'm not sold on it, whats it about?
Me: I have no fucking idea, but you gotta watch it!

Dragoro
06-28-2013, 10:00 AM
Ah yes, finally found the ignore function.

henryeatscereal
06-28-2013, 10:02 AM
Well I assume it took all of 30 mins to shoot. I think there was some stock footage in there too. What do think was so time consuming about the post production? Most of the flashing geometric shapes can be done pretty easily in things like Adobe After Effects.

http://cdn.meme.li/instances/400x/21960242.jpg

Dethbryte
06-28-2013, 10:03 AM
Today I learned I am slightly sensitive to elliptic images. Because that shit gave me a headache.

I also thought it was pretty boring. I would've happily taken another "band pretends to play instruments" video over this. Oh well.

Guess I'm not hip enough.

Ash512
06-28-2013, 10:05 AM

Have you ever done any experimental video work? There's a lot of trial & error involved...You try things, wait till it renders... See if it works. Adjust parameters and rerender if you're on to something, try something else if it doesn't work, repeat. It's a lot like abstract painting, except you keep waiting on renders. That's what's time consuming.

We have no idea how much unused rushes they shot either...

JessicaSarahS
06-28-2013, 10:07 AM
The Annoying Orange didn't age very well.

http://i41.tinypic.com/5nm3hw.jpg

ThinkIcouldburn
06-28-2013, 10:09 AM
Sad to say I'm not a fan. It gave me a headache and reminded me of movies class in high school. I will admit that I've never really loved David Lynch's style. I guess I was hoping for something different.

Nyx
Would look great as a backing video/projection at a live gig.

r_z
The video is badass. I really like those red/black contrasts.

Also, the image of Trentlefly is indeed haunting.

I repeat: Trentlefly.

Badass.

Ash512
06-28-2013, 10:10 AM
And by the way, just for the record: now we know why those Trent closeups required a DSLR.

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Have you ever done any experimental video work? There's a lot of trial & error involved...You try things, wait till it renders... See if it works. Adjust parameters and rerender if you're on to something, try something else if it doesn't work, repeat. It's a lot like abstract painting, except you keep waiting on renders. That's what's time consuming.

We have no idea how much unused rushes they shot either...

I didn't see anything in the video that they couldn't have rendered in real time (like 3d stuff).

There was a time when Lynch was experimental and meticulous in his construction of shots: Eraserhead comes to mind. Now it just seems like he is whimsically rehashing old material.

Tea
06-28-2013, 10:18 AM
Hi there! I am a long time David Lynch and Nine Inch Nails fan, neither of which I have really enjoyed work from since around 2000 minus a couple random songs/videos here and there. I really enjoy this video, and I'm starting to enjoy the song more. The video is low budget and simple, yes. Lynch seems to be returning to his roots of "moving images" and black and white. It's not his best work but the main point of the video is to tap into the atmosphere of the song and I think it does that wonderfully. In recent years music videos have become this huge overly produced part of music that takes too much attention away from the song, which is great for pop really, but I can see NIN trying to get away from that, and wouldn't think Lynch would disagree. If you don't know about the Knife's recent album, they've stated it's basically a protest against what people expect from them and what they could do because of how privileged they are as successful musicians on a big label... look at it in that sense.

spahn
06-28-2013, 10:18 AM
HurtinMinorKey, we get it... you think he sucks. next.

_incoma_
06-28-2013, 10:19 AM
If your a fan of david lynch, the video really shouldn't be surprising to you. Saying that, I loved the video! I totally got a lost highway meets eraserhead kinda vibe from it. Regarding this era, it's really starting to have the old nin feel again. Since With Teeth it's just had that rock band feel to it instead of people creating something interesting and figuring out how to interpret it live. I know someone above mentioned that the visuals for the album are harkening back to nineties nin but maybe that's the point. Coming back haunted by old spirits when returning to something you know was born from a dark place in general. Just my take on it.

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 10:19 AM
A HD download of this would be nice. My nefarious ways of obtaining videos this way seems to be failing on this one.

k258
06-28-2013, 10:20 AM
I liked it. I have no connection to David Lynch, so I'm not comparing it to anything, just reacting to the imagery.

The doughy face with the bloody socket reminded me of the moon face in Georges Méliès "A Trip to the Moon" film from 1902. Only without the rocket stuck in his eye.

Maximilian
06-28-2013, 10:21 AM
Came Back Haunted just got Eraserheaded.

Fantastic.

BRoswell
06-28-2013, 10:22 AM
I've seen videos that have taken a long time to produce that are complete ass. Whining about how long this might have taken is pointless.

Like all of Lynch's work, this is going to divide people, but I really dug it. It's weird and confrontational and I love it.

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 10:25 AM
It's not his best work but the main point of the video is to tap into the atmosphere of the song and I think it does that wonderfully.

I felt the complete opposite. I felt the rough and superficial feel of the video clashed with the textured and super-produced sound of the song.

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 10:28 AM
Would look great as a backing video/projection at a live gig.
Funny you should mention that, the hfiosfoisjdifjsidofjiEPILEPSY moments reminded me of the early video projections for THTF on the LITS tour.

GrayscaleRain
06-28-2013, 10:31 AM
Let's see...

Now as anyone who remembers me posting before the ETS reset knows, I'm really easy to please. I love Trent and his buddies and I just like Nine Inch Nails in general. XD

That said, the first time I saw the video, I didn't particularly care for it. I'm not a fan of David Lynch's work overall and I suppose that has something to do with it. I mean, I love the track so it had that going for it, but I was really kind of disappointed that there wasn't anything to concentrate on (of course, you go in the other direction and you get Ice Age which was a very boring video for a great song.) I'd have preferred something in the vein of We're In This Together, How Long, Survivalism, etc. with a general, if vague narrative of what's going on.

My first thoughts of what it was similar to was Head Like A Hole, actually, a bunch of eclectic imagery being flashed on a screen, done on a really cheap budget, to look spooky and mysterious. And that's fine, if that's what it was supposed to be! The video itself is very disconcerting, if not complex, and I found the hopping between low resolution and high resolution images started messing with my sense of perception during the course of the video (the smoke and lines being very vivid and crisp, while the pictures of Trent, the man with the bleeding mouth, the shrunken head and all being very very low resolution, as if taken with an old camcorder.)

Given the kind of budget put down for the HTDA videos and Lynch's involvement, I would have to say that all the choices made for the video are completely stylistic and your mileage may very. It's not a bad video, for sure, and as was said before, it would probably make for some pretty banging tour visuals. It's not my cup of tea. Rather, it's not what I was expecting, so I'm a little disappointed. It's not my favorite video (that honor goes to Only). Still, all and all not bad and like the track itself it definitely invokes the spirit of Nine Inch Nails' formative years with that added polish of age and experience. It's a very surreal time. ^_^

icklekitty
06-28-2013, 10:32 AM
The doughy face with the bloody socket reminded me of the moon face in Georges Méliès "A Trip to the Moon" film from 1902. Only without the rocket stuck in his eye.

Interestingly, a lot of the imagery here is similar to Lynch's first feature film, Eraserhead, which referenced A Trip to the Moon quite a bit.

Pyract
06-28-2013, 10:32 AM
A HD download of this would be nice. My nefarious ways of obtaining videos this way seems to be failing on this one.
Same here! I wonder if there's some new protection involved...?

BenAkenobi
06-28-2013, 10:34 AM
well, there goes my slight hope that video could help understand the song better.

ryanmcfly
06-28-2013, 10:35 AM
What the fuck did I just watch.

mfte
06-28-2013, 10:37 AM
i like it. remindes me of the head like a hole video.

Highly Psychological
06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
I think its quite funny, Trent looks awesome, it makes no sense whatsoever. I felt paranoid i was going to go into a seizure watching it.

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-28-2013, 10:42 AM
I think my biggest problem with the video is just the shortened edit of the song. It feels like it loses a LOT from having a minute of mostly instrumental parts taken out, especially at the beginning. The flow just felt tampered with. But hey, maybe that's just a result of getting so used to hearing the full version.

I definitely see the video being used as a background image for the song in a live setting, though.

Oh, and a side note -Vevo's still the shittiest thing since the first person to ever experience diarrhea.

FernandoDante
06-28-2013, 10:44 AM
I love the part where a single 2D image flips like 50 times while the screen flashes violently.

If Trent wanted Meathead to direct, all he needed to do was ask.

slopesandsam
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
I think I fall somewhere in the middle. I definitely didn't love it...but I didn't dislike it either. The vibe was cool, but what I saw didn't particularly excite me. The only thing I didn't like about it was the CGI smoke. That looked shitty. Otherwise, I suspect I'm Indifferent Ren.

ensanchecedor
06-28-2013, 10:45 AM
I'm not surprised about the poor result of the video, actually I'm starting to think trent doesn't want to spend too much time at set shooting and the videos take only a few days to record. Also, not the first time a nine inch nails video directed by a fantastic director named David turns out to be a complete disappointment.

Leviathant
06-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Also, not the first time a nine inch nails video directed by a fantastic director named David turns out to be a complete disappointment.

Taking bets now that the next video will be directed by Cronenberg, with similar results.

GrayscaleRain
06-28-2013, 10:54 AM
I think my biggest problem with the video is just the shortened edit of the song. It feels like it loses a LOT from having a minute of mostly instrumental parts taken out, especially at the beginning. The flow just felt tampered with. But hey, maybe that's just a result of getting so used to hearing the full version.

Yeah, that was really messing with me too. XD It's not so bad when they do it at the beginning or end, but when you just nick twelve seconds or so out of the middle of a song it's really jarring. (Though you can have really cool/weird/unique edits like the ones for We're In This Together or Every Day Is Exactly the Same.)

icklekitty
06-28-2013, 10:54 AM

That's how I feel whenever I hear one of the earlier NIN songs in a nightclub.

Shadaloo
06-28-2013, 10:55 AM
I really hated Eraserhead. This reminds me of it more than a little. Well, that's Lynch for you.

dragonkal
06-28-2013, 10:59 AM
That was...not at all what I expected. But then, I'm not at all familiar with Lynch's visual works, so I'm not sure why I felt I had enough to go on to expect anything in particular!

I realized, too, that after all the obfuscation of TR in HTDA stuff, I was somehow banking on finally getting to see more than a glimpse of the guy when this video came out. Oops. Not a criticism of the video, just an acknowledgement of a personal problem. ;)

It does make sense to me in the context of what Trent's said about the song. The video harkens back to the formative NIN years nicely, back when I would roll my eyes and change the channel during MTV's hourly airing of "Hurt." (I had a slew of near-misses with NIN before finally falling down the BIG FAN rabbit hole.)

Side note: I'm not at all epileptic but I have synesthesia, particularly in terms of "seeing" music. I usually don't mind videos or visuals even if they clash sharply with what I "see" in the tune, but this one really violently disagreed with what I see in it in an uncomfortable way. Interesting and unusual sensation.

JessicaSarahS
06-28-2013, 11:08 AM
Taking bets now that the next video will be directed by Cronenberg

I hope so.

I think its quite funny, Trent looks awesome, it makes no sense whatsoever. I felt paranoid i was going to go into a seizure watching it.

Yep, that was my reaction to it as well. I liked it. :)

Presideo
06-28-2013, 11:11 AM
Same here! I wonder if there's some new protection involved...?

I think so. I tried ripping other Vevo video's and they won't download. The best can can do is rip a low-quality .flv video.

Anybody have any luck ripping it in HD?

Pyract
06-28-2013, 11:15 AM
I think so. I tried ripping other Vevo video's and they won't download. The best can can do is rip a low-quality .flv video.

Anybody have any luck ripping it in HD?
http://www.clipconverter.cc/?format=mp4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eyoutube%2Ecom%2Fwatch%3Fv%3 D1RN6pT3zL44#uploadurl

Skip the settings, hit Continue next to the URL and select the HD one. Mine looked good.

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 11:16 AM
I did some digging around, Vevo's brought in some new protection and no one's come up with a work-around yet. BOO.

Edit: Nevermind. Thanks for the link!

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 11:17 AM
Interesting video but I was hoping for more. This just had no narrative. A 4min 17sec video with about as much information as you could convey with 4 still pictures. Hell, I think I got more of a story from Sheridan's behind the scenes shots.

You have a winged girl, Trent, a fucked up fleshlight, a room with smoke, and some seemingly random effects with lines/squares/lightning bolts. Oook... I'll wait for an art geek to tell me if there is some hidden story in there. It's kind of odd that they would pair one of the most inaccessible, if not THE most inaccessible, NIN videos with one of the most accessible NIN songs.

henryeatscereal
06-28-2013, 11:29 AM
^Since when videos SHOULD have narrative???

I know there's plenty of conceptual videoclips since the Michael Jackson era, but most of the time they are just a commercial for the song and that's what this is... a (very weird) commercial, it's just imagery and most of you didn't like it because it was either stock or still frames, there's people who like it for that very reason and i do agree with the comparison with "Head Like a Hole"

Love it or hate it's still a NIN video...

jmtd
06-28-2013, 11:34 AM
Video is meh for me after one watch. Recently rewatched the hand that feeds video and it's much better IMHO

sentient02970
06-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Haha this was so Lynch. Loved it.

uroboros
06-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Lynch has never been good at narrative. but he can conjure unnerving surreal images and string them together to (not) tell a story. Exceptions: the straight story, elephant man, blue velvet. The rest of his work is nonsensical. Its just what he does.

Kid Charlemagne
06-28-2013, 11:42 AM
I was expecting glowing reviews on here, glad to see I'm not the only one who dislikes the video. The effects look cheesy, almost like Lynch was putting this on Windows Movie Maker with some effects he thought was neat. There's the annoying flashes and weird images, yeah I think it sucks. Trent looks slim though from those pictures Pitchfork posted, so good for him.

k258
06-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Interestingly, a lot of the imagery here is similar to Lynch's first feature film, Eraserhead, which referenced A Trip to the Moon quite a bit. So maybe the video is "self-referential" to Lynch, as Trent described the song in the kroq interview.

R-Dot-Yung
06-28-2013, 11:46 AM
I can't say I'll ever watch that video again...

thelordoflard
06-28-2013, 11:51 AM
My opinion: First watch - shocked at how awful it was. Second watch, decided to mute it - Fucking amazing! In conclusion, the contrast between the video style and music style is too much for even me and I like some weird shit

bgalbraith
06-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Whereas most music videos sit behind and complement the song, I feel this went the other way. Lynch produced a very evocative video using CBH as the soundtrack. Regardless of if you loved it or hated it, it likely elicited a strong reaction of some sort, which was the point.

halo33
06-28-2013, 11:54 AM
http://i.imgur.com/hcZvRmx.jpg = http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2013/008/4/f/shark_with_human_teeth_by_starfoxzeldametriod-d5quiso.png ????

heavenly_bearded
06-28-2013, 11:55 AM
Don't get me wrong, both song and video are great, but I really hope this is not the new direction that they will be taking with their live performance.

Shadaloo
06-28-2013, 11:57 AM
While I don't actually like it - or much of Lynch's work at all - I have a lot of respect for the man for being able to put together mesmerizing experiences worthy of discussion and analysis. It's a lot of fun to actually go through the video frame by frame and check out the makeup job done on Trent at various points - there's a specific shot somewhere in there very reminiscent of that scene at the end of Lost Highway where Bill Pullman's face starts wigging out and morphing grotesquely as he's in the car.

Anyhow, what this should do at the very least is prove TR's not out to create any kind of completely accessible commercial, entirely radio-friendly comeback record like a few people I've seen on here seem to be fearing. This..is not the way to attract the teeming masses, lolz

Fragile Teeth
06-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Interesting video but I was hoping for more. This just had no narrative. A 4min 17sec video with about as much information as you could convey with 4 still pictures. Hell, I think I got more of a story from Sheridan's behind the scenes shots.

You have a winged girl, Trent, a fucked up fleshlight, a room with smoke, and some seemingly random effects with lines/squares/lightning bolts. Oook... I'll wait for an art geek to tell me if there is some hidden story in there. It's kind of odd that they would pair one of the most inaccessible, if not THE most inaccessible, NIN videos with one of the most accessible NIN songs.
this is how I felt. I felt like the song and the video didn't really go together or share the same tone/mood or express the same emotions.

BRoswell
06-28-2013, 12:01 PM
I think the video fits the song perfectly, but that's just me. Makes me think of Trent looking into the maw of a beast that represents his past and all the nightmares raging inside its gut. For the first time he's not saying "This is who I am", but "This is who I was". He's not going to turn away from it anymore. He's going to stare it down and confront it, for better or worse.

orestes
06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
My opinion: First watch - shocked at how awful it was. Second watch, decided to mute it - Fucking amazing! In conclusion, the contrast between the video style and music style is too much for even me and I like some weird shit

As I was watching it, I thought to myself, "I could see this playing on screens at a club as background noise".

henryeatscereal
06-28-2013, 12:02 PM
I did the exact same thing! that's why i compared it to "Ringu" in an earlier post...

I do understand the dislike of the video, actually that happens a lot with Lynch's body of work...
I think i got what i expected from Mr Lynch and i think Trent wanted something fucked up and even kitch for this one...

Considering the time and resources put into this i think it's pretty effective and i just watch it for what it is, if you didn't like it nobody if forcing you to watch again, as we're allowed to dislike the video, we're also allowed to like it!

My two pesos for ya!

exilajei
06-28-2013, 12:09 PM
After watching it several times... yeah, this video is great. As was mentioned earlier, try muting it and just watch the video itself, it's pretty wild. I'm confused as to how people can say this is "very weak". It's an artful and abstract approach to what is, let's be honest here, a 5 minute commercial for an album/tour/song.

Fragile Teeth
06-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Honestly the tour visuals were my favorite part of the video. The is a lot going on visually and a lot of it is great, I just feel like the song and the video are putting out 2 different tones/moods.

Hazard
06-28-2013, 12:16 PM
...but it's not April 1st...

shapermusic
06-28-2013, 12:17 PM
This video is seriously weak.

It is disconnected, pretentiously abstract and tacky.

All of you trying to milk value from it : good luck with that.

nowimdowninit
06-28-2013, 12:22 PM
As I was watching it, I thought to myself, "I could see this playing on screens at a club as background noise".

Well, forgive me but, what the hell kind of clubs do you frequent? :p

As for this video, I'm afraid that it just doesn't do anything. It does, however, move at the frantic pace of the average internet user's attention span, though it does not go very far.

I'll keep loving NIN, but I may not watch this video again. (As a side note, I am not big on any of NIN's music videos since The Fragile era. Not to be a fuddy duddy. I am really not big on any music videos since that same time. Child of the eighties, stuck in the nineties I guess.)

shoelacekeys
06-28-2013, 12:24 PM
I think the video fits the song perfectly, but that's just me. Makes me think of Trent looking into the maw of a beast that represents his past and all the nightmares raging inside its gut. For the first time he's not saying "This is who I am", but "This is who I was". He's not going to turn away from it anymore. He's going to stare it down and confront it, for better or worse.

I originally thought this video was 4 minutes of various flashing WTF-ery, but after watching it muted and with this opinion in mind, I think this video works as an abstract representation of exactly what you said.
However, I am unconvinced that Lynch connected the video to the music. The idea presented by the lyrics is effectively shown in video, but there's a disconnect that I side with that's been repeated here. The music is polished and accessible, the video may be polished, but it much more inaccessible.

Amaro
06-28-2013, 12:27 PM
Great! Now I don't need to watch this music video ever again.

marodi
06-28-2013, 12:28 PM
From this video, I've learned that I don't have epilepsy although I was a bit dizzy. I'm still waiting on the result of this 21st century reimagination of the Rorschach test.

FULLMETAL
06-28-2013, 12:29 PM
This guy has to be The Eater of Dreams.

http://i.imgur.com/qKY58CWl.png

Findus
06-28-2013, 12:31 PM
Eraserhead Like a Hole

Tea
06-28-2013, 12:34 PM
The idea presented by the lyrics is effectively shown in video, but there's a disconnect that I side with that's been repeated here. The music is polished and accessible, the video may be polished, but it much more inaccessible.
I think Trent is trying to go back to being more abstract and atmospheric, but he's definitely a polished musician now so I'm sure it's quite difficult. I wouldn't call the song more polished than simplistic. Realistically, these days, I think to get an unpolished sound as an electronic musician you actually have to work hard in the opposite direction (which essentially would be the same as "polishing" the final product).
Also, this is the first main visual element for the album, it could be trying to convey more of what's to come. Trent definitely loves his initial popy singles these days.

jmtd
06-28-2013, 12:35 PM
You've got to slow it down 50% and play it backwards. Mute the audio right channel (of course) and XOR the left channel against the green channel - it sinks up perfectly with "the dark side of the moon"

hobochic
I just saw it. I love it.

The contrast between accessible music with experimental video balance it out perfectly and introduces the tone I've been missing with NIN for a while. My biggest irks with Year Zero was the too literal narrative in its concept and presentation. This opens and invites the viewer to form his or her own interpretation of the piece. Nice!

Shadaloo

It's either that or Link just failed the world of Termina big-time.

KarenLeslie
06-28-2013, 12:44 PM
I was actually hoping for a super-campy video with like, bats flying around and ghosts made out of sheets with holes cut out for their eyes and stuff. Given I couldn't have that, this was okay, I guess. Oh well.

Just to clarify, I really didn't think David Lynch was going to give me the cute video I wanted, but hope springs eternal and all that.

Dragoro
06-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I liked it for the most part, the only thing I found cheesy were those lightening bolts.

Max Leo
06-28-2013, 12:58 PM
I like it.

gorast
06-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah, okay, I didn't like that very much. I'm not even sure what to say about it. Oh well.

I very much could've done without the horrendous strobing transitions, for one.

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 01:05 PM
^Since when videos SHOULD have narrative???

I know there's plenty of conceptual videoclips since the Michael Jackson era, but most of the time they are just a commercial for the song and that's what this is... a (very weird) commercial, it's just imagery and most of you didn't like it because it was either stock or still frames, there's people who like it for that very reason and i do agree with the comparison with "Head Like a Hole"

Love it or hate it's still a NIN video...

Even Head Like a Hole cannot be represented by 4 pictures the way this video could. There is almost no character motion in here outside of facial expression. Nothing even HAPPENS. People excuse that with "Lynch doesn't really do narrative" but even his work has people actively doing... something.

BRoswell
06-28-2013, 01:17 PM
What exactly happens in Head Like A Hole? I'm sorry, but I don't see any difference in terms of shit happening between the two videos, except maybe that one has Trent performing with a band and the other has Trent singing alone. Same with Closer. Nothing really happens in those videos. It's just strange imagery meant to accompany the songs. Not to say I think this video is anywhere near as good as Closer, but I think this is definitely a Nine Inch Nails video through and through.

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Well, for starters, people are moving in HLAH & Closer.

henryeatscereal
06-28-2013, 01:25 PM
Even Head Like a Hole cannot be represented by 4 pictures the way this video could. There is almost no character motion in here outside of facial expression. Nothing even HAPPENS. People excuse that with "Lynch doesn't really do narrative" but even his work has people actively doing... something.
So, it's a "great" video if it can be represented by more than 4 pictures? ...is that what you're trying to say???
I don't "excuse" Lynch for not having "narrative"... many music videos in general don't use the resource of a straight "narrative" and show TONS of images... then again there's plenty of videos with "few" images that have a LOT of narrative. (i'll post an example...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PElhV8z7I60

As i said: i understand the dislike... i don't think the video for "everyone", i just liked it and it made me feel "something", that's all i care about when watching audio-visual productions... but i also respect if some fans didn't like it.
I just don't get that "a video is worth watching because it has a narrative" or because "it can be represented in many pictures", i think this is mostly a matter of personal taste and i respect yours...

mostlymad
06-28-2013, 01:31 PM
I had no idea what to expect. I like David Lynch, and this delivered his vision well. I got the impression it was supposed to be a kind of incoherent stumble through a brain with the few moments of clarity that sometimes happen in a very active and messy thought process. It was a music video, so I really didn't place too much emphasis on it. It serves the medium well enough. And yeah, I can see that it can certainly leave some people cold.

BrokenSpiral
06-28-2013, 01:43 PM
That wasn't good, in my opinion.

ManBurning
06-28-2013, 01:52 PM
As soon as the video started I immediately thought of Strobe Light (http://www.nin.com/strobelight/)

I guess Eric Avery won't be able to watch this video...

jesus
06-28-2013, 01:58 PM
soooo as some of you it reminded me to Closer and Head Like A Hole, but honestly I was expecting more, I felt a little dizzy and kinda hard I will see it again, but still I downloaded it 720hp to collect it [I'm a collector] and maybe if I watch it more times I will like the style a little bit more. It fits with the song

frothy_ham
06-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Overall, it didn't quite do it for me. The jarringly bad CGI cheapness of the weird smoke monster and the other funky post-production stuff just felt corny. The best parts were those featuring creepy/cool vibro-head Trent...if the video was nothing but that and the minamilstic flashing of red and black then I think it would have been great.

ninsp
06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
The video, like the song, is supposed to look industrial, I think. Dark, decayed, disorienting and cheap. It does the trick. Great video, excellent honestly. And I think the whole commercial song/non-commercial song is really just a throwback to the industrial and synthpop bands who did the same thing.

Scarlet Siren
06-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Some behind the scenes photos on Rob's Tumblr http://robsheridan.tumblr.com/post/54111886431/photos-i-took-of-david-lynch-filming-trent-reznor

tate the great
06-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, that video was freaking AWESOME!! The internet, it seems, doesn't feel that way, though...

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 02:07 PM
So, it's a "great" video if it can be represented by more than 4 pictures? ...is that what you're trying to say???
I don't "excuse" Lynch for not having "narrative"... many music videos in general don't use the resource of a straight "narrative" and show TONS of images... then again there's plenty of videos with "few" images that have a LOT of narrative. (i'll post an example...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PElhV8z7I60

As i said: i understand the dislike... i don't think the video for "everyone", i just liked it and it made me feel "something", that's all i care about when watching audio-visual productions... but i also respect if some fans didn't like it.
I just don't get that "a video is worth watching because it has a narrative" or because "it can be represented in many pictures", i think this is mostly a matter of personal taste and i respect yours...

10sec into this video and there is more motion and THINGS HAPPENING than the entire CBH video. It would be very difficult to convey the dance these people are doing with a still picture.

GrayscaleRain
06-28-2013, 02:07 PM
Some behind the scenes photos on Rob's Tumblr http://robsheridan.tumblr.com/post/54111886431/photos-i-took-of-david-lynch-filming-trent-reznor

Eeeeee! He looks so cute in those pictures! He's dressed up like a greaser, with the white t-shirt and leather jacket. <3 Adorbs.

Wolfkiller
06-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Well... at least the song is still good.
To echo what some have already said: I liked Trent's parts but think the mixing/transitioning of his screaming and the Evil Dead gourd could have been done better. The lightening bolts and smoke were laughingly bad.

wizfan
06-28-2013, 02:14 PM
It was okay. Didn't like it at first, but then I got what David was trying to do.

baudolino
06-28-2013, 02:19 PM
my prompt interpretation: the video is Lynch's antithesis of Trent's perfectionism

BRoswell
06-28-2013, 02:21 PM
Well, for starters, people are moving in HLAH & Closer.

I think your problem is less about movement and more about how many actual human beings are in the video.

Reznor2112
06-28-2013, 02:33 PM
Exaggerate much?

But i'm sure you know soooooo much more than I do.

Based on the ignorance of your original post, I probably do. And no I am not unemployed. I dont even see how you came to that conclusion from my post.

And if you hate DSLR so much why do own the 5DMII and III?

Sorry, this will be my last post from taking this thread off topic but your original post was completely ignorant and trollish. The fact that you said Rob should have shot it would have garnered a damn near similar video yet with the difference of glitch art. Rob has used DLSRs on the last few NIN shoots minus BYIT. So that comment is invalid. Secondly I dont understand the criticism about using a DSLR. Ive shot numerous shows, short films etc using Canon and they are an amazing piece of machinery. Granted film and the RED look amazing. But if the filmmaker wants the look that a DSLR gives them, why should automatically assume that said project will be shit?

Great Films which made use of DSLRs
Black Swan
127 Hours
Limitless
Placebo: Coming Up for Air
I Melt With You

I apologize for the douche bag comment, as it was out of line but it really chaps my ass when people critisize things that many people use as means of presenting a piece of art the way they want it shown. Personly I think DSLRs were a great thing to happen in the film industry but to each his own. truce.

thevoid99
06-28-2013, 02:35 PM
I love it. It's just good to see something so weird yet so intense. Thank you David Lynch. If I had a billion dollars, I'd fund whatever project you want to do.

[parasite]
06-28-2013, 02:44 PM
just watched it and it's amazingly great, but i didn't really expect but amazing from Lynch!

Millionaire
06-28-2013, 02:44 PM
I liked it, even though it wasn't what I was expecting for this song. Only thing that I really disliked was the Playstation 1 cloud. I do understand why one wouldn't like the video, though.

It does further cement the fact that when you get David Lynch to do something, you are kind of at the whim of a madman. I read something about an art project that gave clear plastic cows to various artists and told them they could do whatever they wanted to the one they had, and it would be in an exhibition. Lynch's was the only one that wasn't exhibited because he filled it with real cow innards and it was a biohazard to the public.

drunkpoet
06-28-2013, 02:50 PM
I liked it. Menacing, disturbing. Like the memory of a nightmare.

Leo_OAK
06-28-2013, 02:56 PM
You don´t need the link for the HD video anymore?

thelastdisciple
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
I don't know about you guys but i had an overwhelming rush of anxiety whilst watching this video for the first time.

Jesus fuck... i need to sit down.... OH FUCK I AM SITTING DOWN.... *dies*

Frozen Beach
06-28-2013, 03:16 PM
Trent's probably really happy about the video, despite all the negative feedback. I liked it, but I admit, it's a bit void of substance. Best part is the shaky closeup of Trent, cut to the weird head, which looks like the one from the cover of Julee Cruise's album The Voice of Love. I think the video would work wonders used as a screen video during the live shows.

Also, I think the lightning bolts are a reference to David's upcoming album The Big Dream.

konstantin
06-28-2013, 03:18 PM
but is it art?

billpulsipher
06-28-2013, 03:25 PM
very disappointed in the video...would say it ranks up alongside 'Into The Void' and 'Hand That Feeds' as the most disappointing vids TR has done...future reference, TR should ONLY do videos with Mark Romanek

Frozen Beach
06-28-2013, 03:26 PM
but is it art?
Did it get a strong reaction out of people?

BRoswell
06-28-2013, 03:31 PM
Worst thing you can do as an artist is make something that everyone says "Meh" to, so in that instance I think the video is a success. I doubt Trent wanted a video that everyone was going to love, hence why he chose someone as divisive as Lynch to direct it.

Vertigo
06-28-2013, 03:37 PM
very disappointed in the video...would say it ranks up alongside 'Into The Void' and 'Hand That Feeds' as the most disappointing vids TR has done...future reference, TR should ONLY do videos with Mark Romanek

I liked Into The Void.

Anyway, I just watched the video. I thought it was hilarious. I imagine David and Trent will be disappointed if anyone walks away from it normal and composed, as opposed to wracked with headaches and nausea, hissing and spitting whatever invective they can sift from their fried brains (ooh, fried brains... maybe next time, David?).

Aside from the breathtaking weirdness/horribleness/crappiness on display, I thought it did a good job of amplifying the lyrics' underlying hints of darkness and nightmare - themes which are initially missed due to the funkiness of the tune. Nobody's going to miss them now, and I actually think the video unifies the song strangely well.

With that said, I don't see myself watching it again in the near future, except perhaps as some form of ritualistic self-flagellation.

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
And he should only tour with Marilyn Manson and wear fishnet vests all the time too!

witte
06-28-2013, 03:46 PM
mission accomplished

(the more haters we get, the better it is)

edit:
vvv hey man, what's your problem? HE said he liked it...

billpulsipher
06-28-2013, 03:47 PM
I liked Into The Void.

then you liked it more than Trent..he has gone on record many times saying how much he hated it

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 03:50 PM
I like the video under the assumption that is was intentionally campy. Campy just doesn't seem like a NIN thing.

arsenic
06-28-2013, 03:51 PM

http://i.imgur.com/qKY58CWl.png

It looks like this fish:

http://haggisthesheep.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/uglyblobfish.jpg

For all the photographers and nerds on ETS: in the backstage pics you can see Lynch using a rare and unreasonably expensive Hasselblad Lunar. The camera has been on amazon for some time but it was later removed from the store as nobody was buying it. It must be one of the few Lunar ever produced.

Oh and by the way, I didn't like the video at all. It just doesn't fit the song.

WorzelG
06-28-2013, 03:54 PM
then you liked it more than Trent..he has gone on record many times saying how much he hated it

Maybe it was because the camera was going up his nose or wherever - but are you sure you're not thinking of the Perfect Drug video? (or was it the song he didn't like rather than the video)

eversonpoe
06-28-2013, 04:01 PM
i quite enjoyed the shots of trent, and i thought some of the other imagery was interesting. i didn't mind the strobing or the weird red graphics...i think the only thing i really took issue with was that when that one image was flipping, it wasn't doing it in time to the beat. haha.

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 04:04 PM
And he should only tour with Marilyn Manson and wear fishnet vests all the time too!
the 2nd rubber monster head in this video kind of looked like MM

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/CBHMM-20130628-140405.jpg

staleincense
06-28-2013, 04:06 PM
Nope, still don't get why people are complaining about the video. I really liked it, very dark and surreal. Minimalistic, sure, but that isn't neccesarily a bad thing and it matched the song perfectly.

staleincense
06-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Am I the only one who's favourite NIN video overall is Into The Void?

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 04:07 PM
I apologize for the douche bag comment, as it was out of line but it really chaps my ass when people critisize things that many people use as means of presenting a piece of art the way they want it shown. Personly I think DSLRs were a great thing to happen in the film industry but to each his own. truce.

My point was not: great things cannot be made with dslrs, it was that someone like LYNCH, like any well established artist, should use the best tools available. It was just a bad sign to begin with, like he(Lynch) wasn't taking the project seriously. And as it turns out, the video looks like an after-school project.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were having dinner, and TR said, "hey David, wanna go down to my basement and shoot a video?". And regardless of what Rob would have tried to do, he would have put more effort into the project. He doesn't f around.

But i apologize for the crass part of my earlier response. I was giving you shit because you were condescending on the basis of having an art degree.

sheepdean
06-28-2013, 04:12 PM
Am I the only one who's favourite NIN video overall is Into The Void?
It's one of my favourites for sure - Sin and Survivalism are probably tied first though

staleincense
06-28-2013, 04:15 PM
It's one of my favourites for sure - Sin and Survivalism are probably tied first though
Yeah, Sin is one of my favourites too, Survivalism is pretty awesome as well.

ComradeCornhole
06-28-2013, 04:16 PM
I don't know about you all, but I'm just sad to discover that Lynch kidnapped Heather DeLoach and had her frozen in carbonite.

Frozen Beach
It was just a bad sign to begin with, like he(Lynch) wasn't taking the project seriously. And as it turns out, the video looks like an after-school project.

What part of David preferring dslrs over shooting in film do you not understand? He uses it because he enjoys it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej9JZsVmrGo

Lew
who slipped the acid into my chicken noodle soup??????????
ahahahahahahaha. that was fucked.
a bug girl, a blowfish melting face, trent in a dryer (rocking rocky horror lips, no less), a hairy smoky pulsating cloud, and some fairly pleasing red and black geometrics = wtf, brosef?
lol.
gonna watch it without sound.
no headache, no dizziness...but i almost busted my face open laughing.
<3 david lynch, you are the king of freaks. long live david lynch.
have to watch lost highway now. have to.

ok, so after watching again with no sound:
trent on a pogo stick in HYPERDRIVE.

i prefer it with-a music-a.

i love it, and can't even say why.

BRoswell
06-28-2013, 04:18 PM
My point was not: great things cannot be made with dslrs, it was that someone like LYNCH, like any well established artist, should use the best tools available.

So why did he shoot Inland Empire on DV cameras? I mean, after all, he should be able to use the best tools available, right?

What you fail to understand is that sometimes it's not about having the best, most expensive camera. It's about the effect. I'm sure Lynch could have used a RED, or an Arri Alexa, or whatever other expensive camera you want to drool over, but he chose to use a DSLR. And knowing how detail oriented Lynch is, I doubt he did that because he was lazy. There was probably a very specific reason he chose it, and just because it's not blatantly obvious why he did doesn't mean he wasn't taking it seriously.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were having dinner, and TR said, "hey David, wanna go down to my basement and shoot a video?". And regardless of what Rob would have tried to do, he would have put more effort into the project. He doesn't f around.

You know what they say about assuming.