PDA

View Full Version : David Lynch directs the "Came Back Haunted" video!

Pages : 1 [2]

fortheloveofgod
06-28-2013, 04:18 PM
The spinning girl dancing is really Aaron North.

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
And since nobody else is going to do it....

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/CBHFleshLight-20130628-141848.jpg

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 04:19 PM
I'm sorry!!!!

henryeatscereal
06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
10sec into this video and there is more motion and THINGS HAPPENING than the entire CBH video. It would be very difficult to convey the dance these people are doing with a still picture.
Well, there's a ballerina with a gas mask ...so i guess it's "dancing still"

Tea
06-28-2013, 04:22 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if they were having dinner, and TR said, "hey David, wanna go down to my basement and shoot a video?". And regardless of what Rob would have tried to do, he would have put more effort into the project. He doesn't f around.
Just because Rob doesn't fuck around doesn't mean he's a good artist and would have produced a good video. To me, Rob's work is void of creativity and I'm glad to see other artists working with Trent on this album. If that means people are divided, that's actually great. Good art divides. Rob's art bores.

baudolino
06-28-2013, 04:27 PM
wait, since when is Lynch speeking like Werner Herzog? I've never recognized their similarity until now.

Max Leo
06-28-2013, 04:32 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that Lynch wasn't trying to "tell" absolutely anything with this video, it's just weird visuals with some shots of Trent singing. No concept, no story, no relation to the song, just weird visuals with some intentional cheap effects, that's the video and that's what Lynch wanted to do, not a 4 minutes version of "Mullholland Drive" with Trent's music as its score. If you can accept this, I think it's a cool video, otherwise you are going to feel disappointed because it's not trying to be a video like "Closer", "The Perfect Drug", "Survivalism" or "We're In This Together".

"March of The Pigs" had not the most impressive video either, if it was released these days I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would think that it sucks, because even if the performance is cool, the band playing the song in just one videoshot is not the most mindblowing concept ever and it's probably way cheaper that this video for CBH, the internet would say that Trent had lost his mind. So maybe the next single will have a more elaborated video like "Closer" (or maybe not XD).

Lew
06-28-2013, 04:35 PM
rofl...BLESS YOU. lololololol.

shit balls! the bless you was to digital chaos for the pic.

icklekitty
06-28-2013, 04:40 PM

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/CBHFleshLight-20130628-141848.jpg

It's where the inspiration for the album artwork came from.

Frozen Beach
06-28-2013, 04:44 PM

You know the sad part is, if that were actually a real fleshlight, it still wouldn't be the weirdest/most disturbing one I've ever seen.

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 04:45 PM
"March of The Pigs" had not the most impressive video either, if it was released these days I'm pretty sure that a lot of people would think that it sucks, because even if the performance is cool, the band playing the song in just one videoshot is not the most mindblowing concept ever and it's probably way cheaper that this video for CBH, the internet would say that Trent had lost his mind. So maybe the next single will have a more elaborated video like "Closer" (or maybe not XD).

If they shot MOTP today and had Rob around to spin some tech into it... i'd like to think it would come out sort of like this: http://tinyurl.com/ojjc6q6

billpulsipher
06-28-2013, 04:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyXSiyGqrgI 7mins 50 seconds in, TR talks about how he dislikes into the void

wight rabbit
06-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Wow! I've never heard him sound so tense... Good interview, though.

ILoveFestivals
06-28-2013, 05:04 PM
I love this video!!

pcarianas
06-28-2013, 05:09 PM
When does "referential" just become plain lazy?

jhulud
06-28-2013, 05:09 PM
Not gonna lie. I watched it, and I'm not epileptic nor have any photo-sensitivity issues (that I know of), but damn did I get a slight headache afterwards.

Still, I really dug it. Nicely done both Reznor and Lynch!

theimage13
06-28-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm sitting in a hotel somewhere in Maine right now. I have the youtube page up, so with any luck, I'll be able to actually watch this in 2-3 days.

Friggin' hotels.

Dragoro
06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Just watched it for the first time in full screen. Its a much different video in full screen then small boxed. Like it alot more now.

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 05:35 PM
To me, Rob's work is void of creativity and I'm glad to see other artists working with Trent on this album... Rob's art bores.
Really?
http://www.rob-sheridan.com/sketchblog/2007/12/happy-holidays.html

If that means people are divided, that's actually great. Good art divides

I disagree. Divisiveness, in and of its self, is not a virtue of art. Good art unites through shared experience.

kitz
06-28-2013, 05:38 PM
You won't start arguing about what art is, right? Because it makes no sense!

Frozen Beach
06-28-2013, 05:41 PM
I disagree. Divisiveness, in and of its self, is not a virtue of art. Good art unites through shared experience.
I'm sorry, but that is completely and utter bullshit. Art is meant to provoke emotions out of people, good or bad.

Dragoro
06-28-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm sorry, but that is completely and utter bullshit. Art is meant to provoke emotions out of people, good or bad.

^^^^
This..

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 05:47 PM

I'd argue that, provoking emotions allows the viewer to share an emotional experience with the artist. This is a "shared experience". It doesn't matter if the experience is pleasant, unpleasant, terrifying, blissful, enraging, or stupefying.

I do like how the keyed those black dots off off luminance starting @ 3:50. And props to whoever suggested watching the video without sound. I enjoyed it much more that way. (but I love the song independently of the video.)

Tea
06-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Really?
http://www.rob-sheridan.com/sketchblog/2007/12/happy-holidays.html

Yeah... really. That's just... ugh. I was also mainly speaking about his art for NIN. I'm not really dying to see something a la Garbage Pail Kids for NIN art.

I did not say it was a virtue, I said that it creates division. So you don't believe in discussing and disagreeing on art? That makes it bad art if people don't agree on it or take the same feelings or messages from it? You must only like the most obvious, in your face, non-symbolic art.

Frozen Beach
06-28-2013, 05:53 PM
I'd argue that, provoking emotions allows the viewer to share an emotional experience with the artist. This is a "shared experience". It doesn't matter if the experience is pleasant, unpleasant, terrifying, blissful, enraging, or stupefying.

I do like how the keyed those black dots off off luminance starting @ 3:50. And props to whoever suggested watching the video without sound. I enjoyed it much more that way. (but I love the song independently of the video.)
I honestly prefer artists not to share their perspectives/feelings of their own work, or at least not make it obvious. Why? Because it makes things more interesting, and I love it when things divide people. Why? Because it gets people talking, having conversation about things they wouldn't talk about if they all felt similar towards the work.

DigitalChaos
06-28-2013, 05:54 PM
Art is supposed to do what I say it's supposed to do. If it doesn't, it's not art.

simonn
06-28-2013, 05:54 PM
It's nice to see the smoke cloud from Lost finally getting another gig.

Awesome, love Lost, and all it's banal brilliance!!

Video - failed on all counts for me. Lynch screws over another band in my opinion, I watched his Duran Duran (yeah get over it) filming of a concert of theirs from a year or so ago, and I'm telling you, the fucked up plastic model that you're meant to be 'haunted' by in this video - is all over that as well. Just added a fucked up eye for the haunting.

Was gagging for a new cool looking Trent-centric video. This isn't it.

I very rarely criticise NIN, and I'm sure the new album will surpass Like Clockwork (somehow!), but to be honest - Came Back Disappointed.

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 05:55 PM
I'm not saying divisiveness is bad either! But it's neither a necessary nor sufficient condition for good art.

sheepdean
06-28-2013, 05:56 PM
Fairly sure that no one has been able to define art for the past 10 thousand years or so.

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 05:59 PM
There is Dali before 1960 and Dali after 1960. Get it?

Frozen Beach
06-28-2013, 06:02 PM
Fairly sure that no one has been able to define art for the past 10 thousand years or so.
I've always felt that art is fairly easy to define: Anything made out of creative, emotional expression meant to arouse reactions from people. That's not to say there isn't bad art, or subgroups of art.

liquidcalm
06-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Loved it. I was a bit worried that it would end up like Moby's Shot in the Back of the Head video he did...

Papagolash
06-28-2013, 06:15 PM
My initial reaction when watching it the 1st time on my phone at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va5_rn3vG3A

That was pretty damn terrible. It reminded me of someone trying to do a film project for class in college. Knowing Trent doesn't like to make music videos anymore it seemed to me like Columbia told him they wanted a video, so Trent went to David and said "OK they want a video, I don't care what you do, just make something" and he made that. Well here you go Columbia, deal with it.

That being said I just watched it when I got home, it looks a lot better in 1080p on a 42 inch hdtv than on my phone, and it wasn't as bad as I 1st remembered it. Liked the shaky Trent head/2nd red clay head thing part of it. Someone mentioned it earlier in a thread that it seems like it'd be played at a club on the screens, I couldn't agree more.

ensanchecedor
06-28-2013, 06:20 PM
To be honest, I always knew the video was going to suck because there is no way david lynch works fit into this song as well as suspecting the shooting wouldn't take too much time. I respect every opinion about it, but everybody can see is a weak piece of art, I can only see fans talking good things about it. What I hate the most is the ballerina part, it's like one minute of the video where nothing happens and I mean it in the negative way, not in a positive godot-esque way, I have delivered shitty university papers in the last day of the deadline and the feeling about them is really similar to this one.

BrokenSpiral
06-28-2013, 06:30 PM
It was just really not good. All the red lines/squares looks like someone's kid added some "cool effects" and they just said fuck it. It looks very amateurish. The overly-shaky cam was annoying as well. Just how it seems to me.

Dragoro
06-28-2013, 06:32 PM
It was just really not good. All the red lines/squares looks like someone's kid added some "cool effects" and they just said fuck it. It looks very amateurish. The overly-shaky cam was annoying as well. Just how it seems to me.

Have you guys watched it in full screen on a comp? Its a much different experience than on a smart phone or the regular sized video boxes.

sheepdean
06-28-2013, 06:33 PM
Regardless of the video's quality (or lack thereof), I do wonder what drove them to the decision to make a video that a fairly large group of people physically can't watch.

simonn
06-28-2013, 06:39 PM
Ensanchecedor - Didn't really read the thread did you? Lots of negative comments abound, and rightly so.

Bugger, while typing/thinking I've been listening to these 'Disclosure' people on Spotify (as recommended by Q...), and for not one moment thought about turning it off. Yikes.

slave2thewage
06-28-2013, 06:41 PM
Regardless of the video's quality (or lack thereof), I do wonder what drove them to the decision to make a video that a fairly large group of people physically can't watch.
http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/thumb/2/2d/Trollface_HD.png/618px-Trollface_HD.png

screwdriver
06-28-2013, 06:44 PM
does anybody else find that after watching that video, your eyes play tricks on you? sort of like one of those internet animations that you watch for awhile and then it makes the walls breathe?

rhet
06-28-2013, 06:45 PM
Have you guys watched it in full screen on a comp? Its a much different experience than on a smart phone or the regular sized video boxes.

yes! i watched it like 3-4 times on my laptop today then stuck it on the TV when my husband came home and enjoyed it WAY more. completely changed my opinion of it and made me much less headachey afterward as well which always helps.

Fangster_
06-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Am I alone hearing it as if the vocals had been rerecorded? Sounded different, clearer and stuff. Also BOOO-URNS for cutting the synth. But props for shortening the end, usually drags forever. Just can't STAHP.

Don't really care for the video though, mostly because my vision of CBH isn't anything like this and my stubborn mind wants it to be different. Teaser shots had me forseeing cooler things. And more of clearly visible Trent looking great (this is the man-crush speaking).

vpintz
06-28-2013, 07:23 PM
So, all that flashing. It's a bit like a ... strobe light
#oh, you. <3

Shnoorum
06-28-2013, 07:55 PM
Just came home from work and watched it for the first time. The hell was that?! Am I still alive?

PhoenixML
06-28-2013, 07:56 PM
This video is terrible. Unless it was calculated to make it has low cheat weird-esque has possible, then they at least successfully made it terrible. Congrats to Trent and David, I hope to love it. That's all that counts. As for my pears, I have suggested they listen to the song without the video...

Deepvoid
06-28-2013, 08:11 PM
It's definitely not gonna down has one of the great video in the history of music video.
It's weird. It's Lynch. I wasn't expecting anything less or more from him.

I don't dislike it but I don't love. Tool does "weird" better for sake of comparing it to something.

With that being said, I do believe the video might be tight to some visual innovation during the tour. Hopefully, it will come full circle with the upcoming stage production.
I believe a lot of us will be ... "holy fuck now I get it" when they play the song live.

heroicraptor
06-28-2013, 08:30 PM
That looked like the trailer for The Blair Witch Musical.

memeories
06-28-2013, 08:49 PM
I thought I'd seen it all with "Deep" but this garbage is the new low for NIN videos. Pure dreck.

David Lynch hasn't done diddly-shit since Mulholland Drive and his "style" has been this for over a decade: lots of camera shakes while zoomed in on a blurry, screaming face. Maybe some red curtains, smoke plumes or a storyline so arbitrary and random that nobody can hold him accountable for his subpar scripts since they'd first have to explain what they're about - and Lynch isn't going to confirm or deny their conjectures, being the enigmatic auteur that he is. And that's pretty much what this video is. Nothing new to see here, folks.

Frankly, I wonder if TR went with Lynch because had an awesome concept and really sold him on the idea or if TR just wanted to get Lynch's name tossed into the promotional mix because he's associated with fringe-art genius nonsense. Probably somewhere in between.

HurtinMinorKey
06-28-2013, 09:08 PM
So after a thoroughly inebriated viewing, i'm actually starting to like it. Sorry everyone. Crucify me.

billpulsipher
06-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Mark Romanek or bust from now on

exilajei
06-28-2013, 09:14 PM
I thought I'd seen it all with "Deep" but this garbage is the new low for NIN videos. Pure dreck.

David Lynch hasn't done diddly-shit since Mulholland Drive and his "style" has been this for over a decade: lots of camera shakes while zoomed in on a blurry, screaming face. Maybe some red curtains, smoke plumes or a storyline so arbitrary and random that nobody can hold him accountable for his subpar scripts since they'd first have to explain what they're about - and Lynch isn't going to confirm or deny their conjectures, being the enigmatic auteur that he is. And that's pretty much what this video is. Nothing new to see here, folks.

Frankly, I wonder if TR went with Lynch because had an awesome concept and really sold him on the idea or if TR just wanted to get Lynch's name tossed into the promotional mix because he's associated with fringe-art genius nonsense. Probably somewhere in between.

I'm sure David Lynch doesn't think much of you either.

Krazy
06-28-2013, 09:33 PM
Mark Romanek or bust from now on

Serious question: are you THAT Bill Pulsipher (MLB), or just fucking with us?...

NINisamazing
06-28-2013, 09:43 PM
I don't like it. Maybe I am not getting it, but I thought it was more irritating and weird more then really anything else.

allegro
06-28-2013, 10:00 PM
I like it.

Yeah, I can't believe I said that.

It's very David Lynch, circa Eraserhead.

I think it may have triggered a migraine, though.

ryanmcfly
06-28-2013, 10:31 PM
I've watched it four times today, and I have to admit that it's not my cup of tea. I just don't see the artistic value in it.

Ryan
06-28-2013, 10:52 PM
...what the fuck was that?

"Dad, was that your commercial?"

Homer: "I... don't know..."

henryeatscereal
06-28-2013, 11:06 PM
^True Story!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRhkEVrqZe4

Rabbit
06-29-2013, 01:06 AM
For the amount of money that was spent on this i think it's pretty good. it grows on you. the song isn't strong to begin with but this video helps it also grow on you.

david lynch can still make everyone uneasy and that's his brilliance.

nineismine
06-29-2013, 01:14 AM
I see a song called "Came Back Haunted" and a video that seems to be inline with the things Trent and Lynch were doing in the past. Layered on top are all of these semi cheesy modern seeming effects that you find commonly in youtube videos and other places. I think this is our sign of the times, layered over what used to be. To me this is pretty fitting for this song. I like it , I like it alot.

ZeroisGreg
06-29-2013, 01:49 AM
looks like Lynch took advantage of the rolling shutter glitch in the camera...what was it again? MD 5 Mark II Canon? Anyway, the video feels so unacceptable. I don't know where the line is anymore when it comes to what kind of art is accessible or not. Does anyone have an interpretation of the video yet?

BRoswell
06-29-2013, 02:07 AM
looks like Lynch took advantage of the rolling shutter glitch in the camera...what was it again? MD 5 Mark II Canon? Anyway, the video looks so unacceptable. I don't know where the line is anymore when it comes to what is kind of art is accessible or not. Does anyone have an interpretation of the video yet?

Not that you'll find it acceptable, but here's mine:

I think the video fits the song perfectly, but that's just me. Makes me think of Trent looking into the maw of a beast that represents his past and all the nightmares raging inside its gut. For the first time he's not saying "This is who I am", but "This is who I was". He's not going to turn away from it anymore. He's going to stare it down and confront it, for better or worse.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-29-2013, 02:22 AM
I know some people on this board are going to pretend they "get it" and that this is some kind of artistic statement but lets all stand together on this one and face the fact that this is %110 Grade A+ SHIT! I am no David Lynch but I have had some of my short films in festivals and things like that and I could BLOW THIS AWAY!!! I mainly just do that shit for fun but this is some amateur crap! There are something like 5 different scenes in this video that repeat with corny ass effects over them. The one face thing looks like it was stolen from a Tool video and that seizure crap is just trying to be controversial. Hopefully someone has some serious adverse reaction to the video and it gets banned from EVER playing again. I respect some of Lynch's past work but DEAR GOD this was like he was not even trying. Congrats dude, you are artsy and weird you just failed COMPLETELY to be good! I have literally scene first year film school projects that look like The Godfather compared to this turd!

ZeroisGreg
06-29-2013, 02:27 AM
This video is terrible. Unless it was calculated to make it has low cheat weird-esque has possible, then they at least successfully made it terrible. Congrats to Trent and David, I hope to love it. That's all that counts. As for my pears, I have suggested they listen to the song without the video...*peers.
are you talking to fruit or do you mean your friends?

Sandy Phimester
06-29-2013, 02:59 AM
I sort of enjoy most parts of the video, the weird flipping image that almost looks like something wearing a gas mask? I don't like that part very much, the weird rubber masks or faces and trent's appearance are good, the CGI smoke cloud in the room and the bolts seem OK. I like the song, and the video has an appeal for me, but I guess I just wish it was more along the lines of a full fledged music video, somewhat bigger production with more elements. I'm not going to expect something along the lines of the Closer video or some of the more popular ones.... I get the idea of doing a more simple video that can be more easily done, but it does somewhat seem less thought out and not nearly as impactful as a few others we can all probably think of.

Long story short, I like it, but I don't think it really stands anywhere near the top of the better NIN videos, and I guess my main question is .... why not make a video with a new album coming that really stands out and blows people away? Not sure I get it with concerns to this.... it doesn't have to be the best video ever, or even best NIN video, but at least compete with the better ones instead of comfortably rest near the middle and/or bottom (depending on who you are). Been listening to NIN since 1993, and I love the throwback to older 90s industrial scene, but I wish it had just a bit more to offer. Personally.

Wretchedest
06-29-2013, 03:07 AM
This video was AWESOME!

I actually had low expectations, in the face of the fact that I don't like the single much but David Lynch always pulls through and this is no exception. A great music video, the most I could have hoped for.

The reaction on ETS seems.... oddly opposite. I saw lots of love for the single but the video seems widely reviled. That can only mean that somewhere along the line things became more skewed towards conventional, instantly accessible things. A sad state of things if you ask me.

To write off David Lynch's work as deliberately wierd as "deliberately wierd" and to insinuate that it is essentially meaningless or pointless is kind of lazy and, I'd say, media illiterate. Speaking from experience, there's a lot to gain from reading deeper into his work if only you put forth the effort and approach it with the right attitude.

I don't know how people can watch the last 10 years of shitty NIN/HTDA videos and then proclaim THIS is awful. it blows my mind. This was good enough to compensate for a mediocre song. Some great work.

Eraser
06-29-2013, 03:09 AM
Is there any way to watch this videos for german people? The fucking GEMA has it´s greedy fingers all over this video and therfore I cannot watch this! Has anybody downloaded the video and is willing to send it to me?

Necrodoommonkey
06-29-2013, 03:25 AM
If Trent gave all of you rim jobs you'd probably bitch about that too. The video was fucking great. It's a goddamn David Lynch video. It doesn't have to make sense and he doesn't owe you an explanation.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-29-2013, 03:53 AM
It is trying to be risky and weird and not doing it for me. You call it lazy, I call it taste. I don't care what secret agenda he had and the meaning of his imagery. Some of it actually looks like a preschooler with Imovie! I dig the song and I don't bitch about NIN a lot but this is crap! If being an intelligent art connoisseur means not calling a turd a turd count me out! Me not liking it has NOTHING to do with me not giving it a chance. I just truly believe it was a terrible execution! I don't want an explanation from Fincher or Trent, I just don't want to see it again. (and I am not even epileptic)

Fred
06-29-2013, 04:07 AM
Overall, I liked parts of it, but a single photo flipping back and forth, occasionally augmented by flashing geometric shapes is fucking lazy. Period. If I can whip something like that up in half an hour with the right software and a minimum of brainpower, I find no reason to be impressed about David Lynch doing it. The CG lightning bolts and the smoke cloud looked like they were made in 2002. If a split second's worth of CG (that doesn't include Jar Jar Binks) draws that much negative attention towards itself, something's not right. I liked the shots of Trent and the weird, decomposing face, even if the usage of the latter is extremely repetitive. It's the same fucking shot every time, isn't it?

It's decent, I guess. Still better than "Deep", but not by a far margin, and overall a disappointing first video for "Hesitation Marks". That said, I'm glad to see Trent is into something resembling the classic, industrial NIN videos from 1994-2000. Hopefully this was nothing but a weak start.

Trains
06-29-2013, 04:13 AM
I dig it. Found it really intense and confrontational, it really reminds me of Lost Highway (Trent and Bill Pullman look quite similar, right?).

simonn
06-29-2013, 04:31 AM
This video was AWESOME!
I don't know how people can watch the last 10 years of shitty NIN/HTDA videos and then proclaim THIS is awful. it blows my mind. This was good enough to compensate for a mediocre song. Some great work.

You don't like The Space In Between video then? Personally I think it's a classic.

BenAkenobi
06-29-2013, 04:40 AM
Was Trent among those musicians who were openly offended by that Guantanamo music-torture reveal? Oh, the irony.

hessian
06-29-2013, 05:20 AM
It was all a joke. The real video is coming out next week

sore_and_crucified
06-29-2013, 05:28 AM
You don't like The Space In Between video then? Personally I think it's a classic.

This is more like what I was expecting, production levels etc. I'm surprised this is Lynch and not Rob Sheridan.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Lynch...Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Elephant Man, but, this just doesn't seem 'up there'. I'll give it more chance, I'm not convinced.

Nyx
06-29-2013, 05:38 AM
I'm getting more and more disturbed by that giant tick on the little ballerina...
Also, what is she holding? Is it a spine? A bow?

hobochic
06-29-2013, 05:40 AM
I think it's great but I assume they made a full song edit of the video? (Release the bitch!)

P.S. @GrayscaleRain (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/members/2442-GrayscaleRain), he does look like a greaser!

Trent really has the face and the look of a Lynchesque character, he should have a cameo playing a supersonic-alien-greaser in an upcoming Lynch film.

Max Leo
06-29-2013, 06:36 AM
I've been reading a few youtube comments for the video and found this:

better than gaspar noe's video for animal collective. 

So I googled it and found the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIbtYzjLuMo

I have to agree with the youtube comment. XD

I've never given a chance to Animal Collective, but I liked "Enter The Void" or "Irreversible", however I doubt that Noe wasted much of his time making that video. XD

allegro
06-29-2013, 06:44 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Lynch...Twin Peaks, Lost Highway, Elephant Man, but, this just doesn't seem 'up there'. I'll give it more chance
Have you seen Eraserhead?

I'm getting more and more disturbed by that giant tick on the little ballerina...
Yeah that had me hyp-no-tahzed.

I only watched this video once because it's too much of a neurological tour de force for this migraineur to handle without running for my Imitrex.

theimage13
06-29-2013, 07:09 AM
I've never seen any of Lynch's movies (nothing against him; just don't watch many movies in general). So maybe there's something I'm missing. But...I just don't get this video. At all. I'm looking at it from the perspective of my student days, when I'd be asked to watch something and critique it. And I just can't figure out what I'd say about this, other than...well...I don't get it.

Oh well. It's just a music video. Still excited for the new album.

allegro
06-29-2013, 07:14 AM
I said "I don't get it" about 600 times after seeing "Eraserhead."

My best friend leaned over to me in the theater and repeatedly declared "I don't get it" while we watched Blue Velvet.

It was at that moment when I realized that we weren't supposed to get it; there was nothing to get. It was intentionally ungettable.

tudek
06-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Just by looking at the people's reaction we can see some interesting points. Most valuable thing seems to be how it looks - the style and composition of most images in the video do not seduce us. They push us away with the overall "amateur look". Other things are accessibility and how much work did Lynch put in to this. Some feel that they could have done better in an hour! This is important because it raises the old question that is always present in the artworld - "my kid could do that". Many expect that the video should showcase the superior virtuosity of the director, so we can be amazed by that alone.

The thing is Lynch goes by intuition. The fact that it doesn't look like most of the sugar-coated videos we see on MTV all the time, is what makes this so refreshing. This burst of creativity is inspirational, but instead of embrasing it people like to bash it and compare it to their own skills. Yes, you probably could do those CGI lightning effects. Why not do it? Whose stopping you? Create and make something! Maybe it'll be great, or maybe it'll suck balls - the thing is everything doesn't have to be perfect to some shallow formalistic standard. It's brave to try something that won't click with the larger audience.

We all know what Lynch can do. He doesn't have to prove anything.

xmp3x
06-29-2013, 07:41 AM
It seems that this video is just trying to be horrific and creepy, which is reflective of the song's subject matter. I find it creative as far as the props are involved, but I'm not sure about the simple graphics used, although they feel like a fresh element being tried.

I find myself simply saying that I like it, but I also was hoping for something more sleek. I feel like Nine Inch Nails is more deserving of a video with high-budget effects.

slave2thewage
06-29-2013, 07:43 AM
I think people are forgetting that the majority of NIN videos are average-to-shit already.

allegro
06-29-2013, 07:46 AM
I remember everybody going "WHAT THE FUCK DOES IT MEAN???" when the Closer video was released.

I still say that, actually.

(When your video has a narrative, you end up with the Deep video.)

GrayscaleRain
06-29-2013, 07:53 AM
Just by looking at the people's reaction we can see some interesting points. Most valuable thing seems to be how it looks - the style and composition of most images in the video do not seduce us. They push us away with the overall "amateur look". Other things are accessibility and how much work did Lynch put in to this. Some feel that they could have done better in an hour! This is important because it raises the old question that is always present in the artworld - "my kid could do that". Many expect that the video should showcase the superior virtuosity of the director, so we can be amazed by that alone.

The thing is Lynch goes by intuition. The fact that it doesn't look like most of the sugar-coated videos we see on MTV all the time, is what makes this so refreshing. This burst of creativity is inspirational, but instead of embrasing it people like to bash it and compare it to their own skills. Yes, you probably could do those CGI lightning effects. Why not do it? Whose stopping you? Create and make something! Maybe it'll be great, or maybe it'll suck balls - the thing is everything doesn't have to be perfect to some shallow formalistic standard. It's brave to try something that won't click with the larger audience.

I think that's really the whole point when it comes to modern art (or art in general really). Art is not only a display of skill, but a display of expression, so when people choose to express without using the whole of their skill it seems to make people angry! XD People start to pull out their degrees or experience as to why their opinion should matter about how something is sub-par or whatnot, when their opinion really doesn't factor into the piece at all.

"Well, I could do that in an hour." Well... yeah. Perhaps. But you didn't, did you? They did.

And I think that's the important distinction. It's their creativity put up on showcase, and you can cut it up however you like from a technical or artistic angle, but at the end of the day its them up there and not you. And that makes people angry. It makes their self-entitlement angry, because they think that in order to be famous or to have a name that these people have to be so out of reach it's crazy.

But this is art. It's self-expressive and technically competent, plus a little provocative (which is certainly not a requirement, but it helps.)

And people seem to forget that there's never been a Nine Inch Nails video that wasn't low budget or kind of cheesy. That's just the kind of stuff that TR likes. I suppose it's been so long since the last one that we've forgotten.

(I also don't know why people hate Deep so much, but frankly I've stopped trying to figure that out.)

xmp3x
06-29-2013, 08:00 AM
And people seem to forget that there's never been a Nine Inch Nails video that wasn't low budget or kind of cheesy. That's just the kind of stuff that TR likes. I suppose it's been so long since the last one that we've forgotten.

I'm going to address this point because it has been mentioned twice on this page now. I agree that the "low-budget" style is commonly used in NIN videos. The only reason why this stands out to me as less elaborate is because there are only maybe 3 real camera shots in the video. The only other NIN video I can remember that has such a low amount of camera shots is March of the Pigs, but it's a live performance, so it is inherently engaging.

Like I said before though, I like it.

GrayscaleRain
06-29-2013, 08:08 AM
Oh, of course. I would have preferred a performance video myself, but people tend to get tired of that sort of thing. Honestly though it's really hard to tell how much of this was done for the video and how much was stock or old stuff the Lynch was just waiting to use on something. It may have all been crafted for the video 100%, or it may have been that the shots of TR were the only thing made for the video at all and the rest were just Lynch's leftovers. I'm sure the actual truth is somewhere in the middle, of course.

It's certainly not my favorite video, but it does have that silly charm that HLAH does. My only issue is I don't really like the edit and the video seems independent of the song in timing, but the result is more or less like listening to atonal music. It's disconcerting which may have been the point.

Does that make it a great video? Not really? Does that make it bad? Not really. It's okay! I don't mind it. ^_^

hobochic
06-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Why this video is awesome:

1. Treznor is Bill Pullman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37Ae6nWdRgE

2. The video incorporates the "ball of expanding consciousness and enlightenment" that Lynch loves to talk about. (3 minutes in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&amp;v=gbX_4ebnoYI&amp;NR=1

What more do you want?

Fred
06-29-2013, 08:51 AM
Liked it better when I watched it the second time. Maybe because I knew what to expect? I still think some of the imagery is a bit too repetitive, but it is a mesmerizing watch somehow.

The smoke cloud still sticks out like a sore thumb, though. And not in the good way. Apart from that, I'm okay with the video.

Warped_Savant
06-29-2013, 08:56 AM
My wife looked over while I was watching it and, after a minute, asked what I was watching a shitty, fan-made video.
I held onto the hope that I had clicked on the wrong video and that was, in fact, what it was.

It wasn't creepy to me, it wasn't intense, I don't think it suited the song... The only positive thing I can say about it is to agree with someone from a page or two back that said they could see it playing on a video screen in the club.

JessicaSarahS
06-29-2013, 09:37 AM

I thought it was average, but I loved the video for How Long.

bruised
06-29-2013, 09:40 AM
I wish he would direct all their videos, this way I wouldn't have to watch them.

antimatter
06-29-2013, 10:05 AM
From Trent Reznor and David Lynch I expected more.

allegro
06-29-2013, 10:12 AM
This prompted me to watch Rabbits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjWWSKfKsg

A recent study determined that eating Tylenol before watching Rabbits is, um, recommended (http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/18/science/la-sci-sn-tylenol-existential-crisis-20130417).

BRoswell
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
I know some people on this board are going to pretend they "get it" and that this is some kind of artistic statement but lets all stand together on this one and face the fact that this is 0 Grade A+ SHIT! I am no David Lynch but I have had some of my short films in festivals and things like that and I could BLOW THIS AWAY!!!

Put your money where your mouth is and post them.

Presideo
06-29-2013, 10:31 AM
(I also don't know why people hate Deep so much, but frankly I've stopped trying to figure that out.)

Probably the same reasons people don't like the vid for The Perfect Drug: it's too self-indulgent and brash for it's own good (and both aren't exactly the most well-liked NIN songs either)

Most NIN music vids fall into two catagories: self-indulgent or off-the-cuff. IMO, the only vid that reaches a good middle-ground would be Survivalism.

henryeatscereal
06-29-2013, 10:35 AM

Post of the year! i agree with you 100%!

This video isn't about "pretention" it's about "expression" and it not necessary for it to "narrate" or even have great "technique" it just says something disturbing as serves as a reinforcement fot the music... i think there's mainly two dominant opinions among the fans: "I don't get it therefore i don't like it" and "It's simple amateur and ugly therefore it's crappy", yet they are missing the main point: IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY: Abstract, amateur, ugly, even kitch... I don't think the video is meant to be "understood", this video is meant to be "watched" in order to get the feeling Lynch and Reznor are looking for...

jessamineny
06-29-2013, 10:53 AM
I watched it once. I don't feel compelled at all to watch it again. Didn't hate it. Didn't like it. It just did nothing for me. Maybe that's the ultimate failure. :::shrug:::

Presideo
06-29-2013, 11:14 AM
This video isn't about "pretention" it's about "expression" and it not necessary for it to "narrate" or even have great "technique" it just says something disturbing as serves as a reinforcement fot the music... i think there's mainly two dominant opinions among the fans: "I don't get it therefore i don't like it" and "It's simple amateur and ugly therefore it's crappy", yet they are missing the main point: IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE THAT WAY: Abstract, amateur, ugly, even kitch... I don't think the video is meant to be "understood", this video is meant to be "watched" in order to get the feeling Lynch and Reznor are looking for...

No, we all understand that it's intentionally supposed to be crude and abrasive (the dumb lightning bolt graphics and flashing red lights give that away) But when you show something this unconventional to NIN fans you can expect negative reactions. It's like a theater expecting a big-budget superhero movie, only to have an art-house flick start playing instead.

I'm not implying that NIN fans are too stupid or shallow to "get it", but as NIN fans, we expect a certain degree of conventionality in a NIN product. It's the same reason nobody liked that 'Me, I'm Not' remix Olaf Dreiser made. If a group like the Knife did a music vid like this it would be be par for the course. For NIN, though, it's like teeing off with a putter.

screwdriver
06-29-2013, 11:18 AM
I watched it once. I don't feel compelled at all to watch it again. Didn't hate it. Didn't like it. It just did nothing for me. Maybe that's the ultimate failure. :::shrug:::

I felt that way after watching it the first time. But then I had some desire to see what my wife thought of it, so I watched it a second time, and enjoyed it. It had a great mix of creepy and hilarious. I'm not watching it on repeat like I used to watch Closer as a teenager, but I'm also not a teenager anymore.

Wolfkiller
06-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Probably the same reasons people don't like the vid for The Perfect Drug: it's too self-indulgent and brash for it's own good (and both aren't exactly the most well-liked NIN songs either)

Did I wake up in opposite world?? Every touring cycle people lose their shit wondering if he will finally play TPD. Pretty sure the video was in high rotation back when it first came out as well. The only video/song everyone seems to hate (for reasons I can't really understand) is Deep.

allegro
06-29-2013, 11:25 AM
The only video/song everyone seems to hate (for reasons I can't really understand) is Deep.
I think it's because the video has a "story" and Reznor is "acting" as a "character" in the "story" and, well, videos like that suck.*

*Except for Michael Jackson's "Thriller" but that kinda sucks, now, too.

Presideo
06-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Did I wake up in opposite world?? Every touring cycle people lose their shit wondering if he will finally play TPD. Pretty sure the video was in high rotation back when it first came out as well. The only video/song everyone seems to hate (for reasons I can't really understand) is Deep.

People only want TPD played because it's never been played live before, the drumming would be very difficult for a live drummer to pull off, and TR has a notorious dislike for the song. The song and music vid may have been popular at the time b/c it satisfied fans craving for new NIN between The Downward Spiral and The Fragile, but now I don't think it's well-liked at all (I could be wrong though)

Space Suicide
06-29-2013, 11:36 AM
I don't care for the video.

BRoswell
06-29-2013, 11:44 AM
I don't care for the video.

See? That's all you need to say, folks. "I don't care for it." "Not for me." Whatever you need. None of this "OMG! I can make a better video with paper dolls and one of those old timey cameras from the 19th century!" and "This is the worst thing in the history of histories!"

ensanchecedor
06-29-2013, 12:12 PM
Seriously guys, I'm considering not to open this thread anymore, even the most hipster, underground artist knows this videos is a weak work, there is no passion in it and there are no arty words or selfindulgent speech sufficient to defend this. And worst of all, I'm beginning to have really bad expectations about the album, the direction NIN is going and especially about how HTDA could replace NIN in my heart right now. I think, as a band, HTDA is way much more interesting and strong than the current NIN. It's just a personal opinion

jessamineny
06-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Oh, come on. "The current NIN" is one song so far. :rolleyes:

JessicaSarahS
06-29-2013, 12:32 PM
This prompted me to watch Rabbits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdjWWSKfKsg

A recent study determined that eating Tylenol before watching Rabbits is, um, recommended (http://articles.latimes.com/2013/apr/18/science/la-sci-sn-tylenol-existential-crisis-20130417).

Such a sad and depressing series. Poor Rabbits :(

Sandy Phimester
06-29-2013, 12:38 PM
I've watched it a few times, I do like it, but as I said before - it's not something I feel that really lives up to the potential of these two artists working together. Yes, I understand that it doesn't always necessarily mean that every time you work on something it is going to be your biggest and best work to date, but as much as I like the song and the video together, I think that it does come off feeling small and (limited?) somewhat confined, I guess. It's hard to put into simple words, but I was hoping for something more, not the biggest, not the best, but something more.

Does it really matter? No. Does it change how excited I am for a new album and new tour (and all the fun updates along the way) No.... definitely not. Of course not.

But as a music video it does feel pretty weak. Sure, lots of NIN videos before were weak, but not all, and at least quite a few seemed to go places or do things, and YES I get that you can explore ideas without having to move a camera off a tripod, but I think anyone can understand... it's just one or two cameras in one spot and then some computer editing after, and that's mostly fine, but it's so simple that the cool parts aren't enough and the weaker elements seem to drag it down (for me).

DigitalChaos
06-29-2013, 12:41 PM
Also, what is she holding? Is it a spine? A bow?
i couldn't figure it out. The part she is holding looked like some sort of strap with squares across it. The squares look sort of similar to the new album art from:
http://i.imgur.com/hEQYJMI.jpg
http://dc.moose.cc/temp/5137aa53df32f8e-20130629-104415.jpg

Wolfkiller
06-29-2013, 12:44 PM
I think it's because the video has a "story" and Reznor is "acting" as a "character" in the "story" and, well, videos like that suck.*

I assumed it was autobiographical. Trent used to take 5 years between albums because he was constantly in jail thanks to his robbery addiction.

Sandy Phimester
06-29-2013, 12:50 PM
After a few more viewings today, just for the hell of it, I do enjoy the video more, my comments before still stand, however the ONE part that I dislike (as if it matters, I suppose) is the dancer image that flips back and forth, it feels really corny for some reason, I sorta like everything else, really dig the TR stuff and the weird heads and the motion and such.

DigitalChaos
06-29-2013, 12:58 PM
This video does fit well into the idea of a 90's era revival that much of the latest NIN fits into.

Alex of scotland
06-29-2013, 01:34 PM
I see a song called "Came Back Haunted" and a video that seems to be inline with the things Trent and Lynch were doing in the past. Layered on top are all of these semi cheesy modern seeming effects that you find commonly in youtube videos and other places. I think this is our sign of the times, layered over what used to be. To me this is pretty fitting for this song. I like it , I like it alot.

Yeah, I feel Lynch uses Parody and cliche and lot but does so in a disjointed and creepy way that you don't recognize whats meant to be humorous or self deprecating.

billpulsipher
06-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Most NIN fans I know (myself included) fucking love TPD song AND video....I don't care for CBH but if the video was the boys playing the song in a rehearsal space, it would have been much more interesting.

Papagolash
06-29-2013, 01:46 PM
I know one thing this video's going to be great for, making little animated gif avatars for forums. Cant wait for someone to rip a few little scenes out of this video to be able to use.

hobochic
06-29-2013, 02:07 PM
Uh, it's not like we're not getting any more rehearsal videos of "the boys" playing new NIN music live. There's plenty of that coming up. This video isn't replacing any of that, it's just what it is, it exists as a bonus without replacing anything dear to you. You read that right: you're not missing out on one single fuck. It's a fun collaboration between two artists and friends doing stuff they love to do hands-on with low budget equipment and not giving the one fuck for what the industry or the fans would like them to be.

And this whole tech gear quality talk. Dave and Trent kinda already toyed around with a little film project called "Lost Highway" last century. These dudes don't need to prove themselves to tech heads on message boards.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-29-2013, 02:14 PM
Put your money where your mouth is and post them. In respect of this thread and not to turn it into me advertising my own shit I will post 1 video that I did and the only reason for that is that it was something I did with one of the Ghost tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AprdBErqT7o If you want to see anything else just go to my channel and snoop.

GentlemanLoser
06-29-2013, 03:14 PM
No, we all understand that it's intentionally supposed to be crude and abrasive (the dumb lightning bolt graphics and flashing red lights give that away) But when you show something this unconventional to NIN fans you can expect negative reactions. It's like a theater expecting a big-budget superhero movie, only to have an art-house flick start playing instead.

I'm not implying that NIN fans are too stupid or shallow to "get it", but as NIN fans, we expect a certain degree of conventionality in a NIN product. It's the same reason nobody liked that 'Me, I'm Not' remix Olaf Dreiser made. If a group like the Knife did a music vid like this it would be be par for the course. For NIN, though, it's like teeing off with a putter.

^^^
THIS!

I feel like I may have liked this video more outside the context of a NIN video. And it's not like this video was necessarily a bad fit, it's just a not good fit. Break the video down to it's visual elements alone, and the only thing that really irked me was the "dancer" graphic shifting around (though it kinda did have this cool/creepy moth-like quality to it, but it felt like it was somehow from outside this video and inappropriate), the rest is just fine and very Lynchian.

Also, I liked the strobe-dancing dots toward the end. I don't know if he was trying to, but it made me think of those copyright dots the MPAA throws onto film reels so that they can track which theatres pirated films are coming from.

Also, I love the lightning bolts. In general, for whatever my opinion as a critic is worth, I'll say this: There are worse nine inch nails videos, and there are better nine inch nails videos.

ZeroisGreg
06-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Dumbland Chapter 8. Oh I miss this so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X16KDmRJ6G8

dominik
06-29-2013, 03:35 PM
If you imagine that this video and music was made by some band you don't know, and you don't associate the big names Reznor and Lynch with it, would you still say it's good?

nineismine
06-29-2013, 03:39 PM
Yeah, I feel Lynch uses Parody and cliche and lot but does so in a disjointed and creepy way that you don't recognize whats meant to be humorous or self deprecating.
Yep! Agree. I think its pretty well done especially for how quick it was put together. I don't need a masterpiece. I'ts one of my favorite videos in a while from Nails.

nineismine
06-29-2013, 03:44 PM
I think that's really the whole point when it comes to modern art (or art in general really). Art is not only a display of skill, but a display of expression, so when people choose to express without using the whole of their skill it seems to make people angry! XD People start to pull out their degrees or experience as to why their opinion should matter about how something is sub-par or whatnot, when their opinion really doesn't factor into the piece at all.

"Well, I could do that in an hour." Well... yeah. Perhaps. But you didn't, did you? They did.

And I think that's the important distinction. It's their creativity put up on showcase, and you can cut it up however you like from a technical or artistic angle, but at the end of the day its them up there and not you. And that makes people angry. It makes their self-entitlement angry, because they think that in order to be famous or to have a name that these people have to be so out of reach it's crazy.

But this is art. It's self-expressive and technically competent, plus a little provocative (which is certainly not a requirement, but it helps.)

I think it makes people angry because they didn't have a great enough idea to share and thus they didn't. When they see something that "they could have done a better job of" it reminds them that they didn't and all of their reasons for why they didn't. If that makes any sense...

TheLazenby
06-29-2013, 04:00 PM
Trent needs to reclaim the glory of videos past. Any chance we can dig up Bob Flanagan and clamp his dick again? That seemed to impress people...

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-29-2013, 04:11 PM
So what happens when someone who does have ideas that they share? Can they still say it sucks? I mean, I guess you could say that I did not make a music video for "Came Back Haunted" but I have created plenty of art (mostly music but some film/photography) in my life and continue to so the whole "reasons why I didn't" point seems mute. My number one reason for not having an idea and making a music video for this song is that I was not approached to do it. The second reason would be that I would rather work on something of my own. I have on occasion done a cover tune and in one instance a "music video" to another artist song but I prefer to work on my own shit. That being said, if someone wants to croudsource me 1/20th of the budget that this video had I will do my best to make a video that more NIN fans will find ummmm.......better! I am 1/2 ass kidding but I do think I could take a stab at it. I really don't care if people like it or not but all the people who do like it always seem to comment and cut down everyone who is not afraid to admit it is a turd. I know that some people like turds and am okay with that. (A quick google image search will show you that) Turds are just not my thing people! Sorry!

allegro
06-29-2013, 04:56 PM
Dude, stop, you're never going to do a NIN video.

slave2thewage
06-29-2013, 05:14 PM
James Nguyen should direct the next NIN video.

wizfan
06-29-2013, 05:23 PM
Also, I liked the strobe-dancing dots toward the end. I don't know if he was trying to, but it made me think of those copyright dots the MPAA throws onto film reels so that they can track which theatres pirated films are coming from.

Heh, and to think Trent also did this with the Broken movie when he blacked out clips on the VHS tapes so he could know if somebody leaked one.

richardp
06-29-2013, 05:24 PM
So what happens when someone who does have ideas that they share? Can they still say it sucks? I mean, I guess you could say that I did not make a music video for "Came Back Haunted" but I have created plenty of art (mostly music but some film/photography) in my life and continue to so the whole "reasons why I didn't" point seems mute. My number one reason for not having an idea and making a music video for this song is that I was not approached to do it. The second reason would be that I would rather work on something of my own. I have on occasion done a cover tune and in one instance a "music video" to another artist song but I prefer to work on my own shit. That being said, if someone wants to croudsource me 1/20th of the budget that this video had I will do my best to make a video that more NIN fans will find ummmm.......better! I am 1/2 ass kidding but I do think I could take a stab at it. I really don't care if people like it or not but all the people who do like it always seem to comment and cut down everyone who is not afraid to admit it is a turd. I know that some people like turds and am okay with that. (A quick google image search will show you that) Turds are just not my thing people! Sorry!

Your biggest problem here is that you're acting like it's a scientific fact that the video is awful, rather than admitting that YOU don't "get" it but other people MIGHT ACTUALLY LIKE IT.
To you, it's implausible that anyone can enjoy it. And that's why you're points are coming across so terribly, making you sound like a 13 year old.

And honestly, with how violently negative you are against this video is probably the reason the two made the video the way it is in the first place.

slave2thewage
06-29-2013, 05:47 PM
a video that more NIN fans will find ummmm.......better!
Lemme guess: corn starch and Trent being "spooky"?

screwdriver
06-29-2013, 05:56 PM

dude, just make a video
have you seen the guy who did the HTDA fan-videos that are absolutely unreal? they're so good. no budget, no crowd-sourcing. just an idea and an execution

making real lame scat-analogies on a message board is silly

ZeroSum
06-29-2013, 06:06 PM
Shit, I hated this video when I first saw it yesterday! Gave it a few more shots before bed and another this morning and now I can't get it out of my head. It's like it's haunting me. I think... I think I like it.

kitz
06-29-2013, 06:07 PM
If you imagine that this video and music was made by some band you don't know, and you don't associate the big names Reznor and Lynch with it, would you still say it's good?
I would say no. But we are fans and most fans are biased.

voidnz
06-29-2013, 06:30 PM
I like the video. I can understand the bitching, because it's David Lynch. That guy can't do anything without people bitching because his shit is so 'out there'. It's not for everyone.

A lot of the newskool NIN fans probably hate it because it's not all gay and poppy like the other bullshit Nickleback, Kings of Leon crap they listen to. Going back to PHM, Broken and TDS days this is probably the closest we'll get to a real NIN video like what we got then.

It's creepy, weird and makes little sense (probably not meant to make much sense). I love it. It fits the song and NIN. No one watches music videos any more so why put together an elaborate high budget video.

Prettybrokenspiral
06-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Fun Fact: In German, 'morgen' means 'morning', while 'Latte' means '...glory'. So by accident you just wrote a funny sentence that made sense either way.

http://i.imgur.com/UmpOi.gif

That is all.

Morning glory...yea, I get that in the a.m. too. I'm digging it.

Zipfinator
06-29-2013, 06:46 PM
A lot of the newskool NIN fans probably hate it because it's not all gay and poppy like the other bullshit Nickleback, Kings of Leon crap they listen to.

Yeah fuck those newskool kiddies! Anyone under 25 who only recently got into NIN must also listen to homosexual music like Nickleback... It's the only reason they wouldn't like this video. Wait... What does listening to Nickleback have to do with not liking a video by NIN for a song that's pretty poppy by NIN standards?

Also us young people all think Nickleback is "gay" too. Dang Oldskool NIN fans don't get us Newskool NIN fans at all...

BRoswell
06-29-2013, 07:17 PM
In respect of this thread and not to turn it into me advertising my own shit I will post 1 video that I did and the only reason for that is that it was something I did with one of the Ghost tracks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AprdBErqT7o If you want to see anything else just go to my channel and snoop.

Thanks for posting that. Now I know not to trust your opinion.

kel
06-29-2013, 09:29 PM
even when i was on a "david lynch is cool" kick, i never really liked 'lost highway' or 'twin peaks'. i saw 'lost highway' recently and it was a complete waste of time -- complexity for the sake of complexity. and boring, at that. this video is no different. but i like it *a little*. like, the lightning bolts, maybe. not a total piece of shit, but nothing to write home about.

allegro
06-29-2013, 10:04 PM
Am I the only one here who sees zero value in music videos anymore? Back in the 80s, it was novel and MTV was kind of like a video jukebox where we could hear songs we couldn't hear on the radio. In the 90s, it was pretty much the same thing but the videos got artier and more pricey. Now, MTV is dead and videos are viewed via the Internet and they just seem, I dunno, obsolete? Unnecessary? Going the way of the cassette or the 45 single? I just don't see it being a relevant form of marketing, anymore. And that was always its primary purpose: marketing. Sure, it could be "art" but lots of advertising can also be viewed as art. That doesn't mean it isn't primarily advertising. But I just don't get excited about music videos, anymore. I'm so completely oversaturated by YouTube and amateur clips of the day and amateur art and self-made videos and viral crap, I just don't care. Once you've seen OK Go on treadmills, you've seen it all. Nothing is new.*

*edit: well, I admit I kinda liked that HTDA video where Mariqueen was on fire, that was cool.

bgalbraith
06-29-2013, 10:52 PM
So I've only watched the video twice, but now I've got an imprint of the twitching girl during the bass synth and that shaky shrunken head thing during the chorus. I don't actually visualize them when listening to just the audio, but I do get an odd sense of twitching or shaking at those points in the song.

Magtig
06-29-2013, 10:53 PM
edit: I can't get this to work. At all.

edit #2: I linked all the videos, but... for some reason only half the text appeared and blah blah blah. I guess you'll have to look them up yourself if you're interested. I copied and pasted this text into notepad to finally get it to work.

edit #3: repasting the original quote back in:

Am I the only one here who sees zero value in music videos anymore? Back in the 80s, it was novel and MTV was kind of like a video jukebox where we could hear songs we couldn't hear on the radio. In the 90s, it was pretty much the same thing but the videos got artier and more pricey. Now, MTV is dead and videos are viewed via the Internet and they just seem, I dunno, obsolete? Unnecessary? Going the way of the cassette or the 45 single? I just don't see it being a relevant form of marketing, anymore. And that was always its primary purpose: marketing. Sure, it could be "art" but lots of advertising can also be viewed as art. That doesn't mean it isn't primarily advertising. But I just don't get excited about music videos, anymore. I'm so completely oversaturated by YouTube and amateur clips of the day and amateur art and self-made videos and viral crap, I just don't care. Once you've seen OK Go on treadmills, you've seen it all. Nothing is new.

When a music video goes viral and receives millions (billions on the case of Psy) of plays they're hardly irrelevant, but I think what you're getting at is more along the artistic aspect of it. Videos when done right can definitely add a dimension to the music. Regardless of your opinion of Lana Del Rey, her videos are often short films with a strong narrative. In fact, the historical fantasy of JFK as a black man for the National Anthem video was very compelling to me, and it's definitely not something I would have imagined just listening to the song. A similar effect can be had from Ride. Die Antwoord is another divisive band, but their videos, especially when paired with photographer Roger Ballen, are pretty fucking hard to look away from. Film and music will always complement each other and for that reason music videos will never totally lose relevance. In fact, I'd argue that musicians self-releasing videos on youtube have much more potential than they ever did on pay-to-play MTV. For example, just look at Macklemore's, Thriftshop.

That said, I don't think the Came Back Haunted video has a whole lot of value in this department. I like the song, and David Lynch is one of my favorite filmmakers, but I don't feel that Lynch is cut out for the music (or vice versa). Most of his work is built on slow tension and dream logic; not the greatest space for a bouncing pop industrial tune.

allegro
06-29-2013, 11:10 PM
I agree to a certain extent, you're right; artists like Lana Del Ray can definitely stretch out in the artistic department; but it seems that most music videos are primarily "entertainment." I do agree that music and video often seem to go together, but I don't feel it's a requirement like many here seem to think. Some seem genuinely upset about this music video, like NIN somehow blew it; what they blew is what I don't grasp. This isn't THAT important, is it?

Magtig
06-29-2013, 11:18 PM
I agree to a certain extent, you're right; artists like Lana Del Ray can definitely stretch out in the artistic department; but it seems that most music videos are primarily "entertainment." I do agree that music and video often seem to go together, but I don't feel it's a requirement like many here seem to think. Some seem genuinely upset about this music video, like NIN somehow blew it; what they blew is what I don't grasp. This isn't THAT important, is it?
Well, in all fairness to them, NIN is probably finished now that some people are unsatisfied with the video. It's doubtful Hesitation Marks will still be released, and Columbia is pretty much obligated to drop them from the label.

billpulsipher
06-29-2013, 11:31 PM
When all is said and done, why even make a video..MTV ceases to exist...

Magtig
06-29-2013, 11:38 PM
When all is said and done, why even make a video..MTV ceases to exist...
Are you serious, I just said why.

Alex of scotland
06-30-2013, 03:13 AM
For Camera Geeks like me......

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/i-finally-found-someone-shooting-with-the-hasselblad-lunar-its-david-lynch/ (http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/i-finally-found-someone-shooting-with-the-hasselblad-lunar-its-david-lynch/)

wunderpanda
06-30-2013, 03:46 AM
I'm not sure if I like it, but it made me laugh. Some of it seemed like an old Ed Wood movie, some looked like deleted scenes from Burn and melted puppet #2 looked like a tapeworm. :D

sick among the pure
06-30-2013, 07:34 AM
For Camera Geeks like me......

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/i-finally-found-someone-shooting-with-the-hasselblad-lunar-its-david-lynch/ (http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/i-finally-found-someone-shooting-with-the-hasselblad-lunar-its-david-lynch/)

I want an old film Hassy SO BAD :(

Henrie_Schnee
06-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Weird thing is, it's still a VEVO exclusive-video... even two days later. Usually, VEVO claims exclusivity for the first 24 hour period, after which the videos are allowed to be uploaded to the "normal" internet (that is, the part of the internet we all can access to), Vimeo, local hosting, iTunes, whatever.

Which kind of got me thinking... I mean, here we have a label, paying his newest investion a shitload of money to hire THE weird director of our generation... and in the end, the budget gets sinked into a ridicoulusly overpriced camera and the whole video get's shot by 3 guys in an attic. Lynch *most likely* created the CGI on his own vintage 90's PC... what I'm getting at is this: Okay, you guys might be irritated, but imagine how you would have felt if it was your signature on the check that payed for all this.

Personally, I still don't know what to make of what I saw. I mean, I actually kind of liked it - it's funny, it's dark and it really recreates the multilayered rhythms going on in the song. BUT it's fucking Trent Reznor and David Lynch, so as most of the guys above, I was expecting something with way more meat on its bones. First time I saw the white-red-strobe lights, I was sure some jackass had posted a fake link here.

Got to say, the moment that turned the video for me from a big "WTF" to an "allright, I get it" were those big-headed stick figures dancing to the beat.

allegro
06-30-2013, 08:25 AM
I'm not sure if I like it, but it made me laugh. Some of it seemed like an old Ed Wood movie, some looked like deleted scenes from Burn and melted puppet #2 looked like a tapeworm. :D
Yes!! All of this!!!

Max Leo
06-30-2013, 08:46 AM
CBH's video reminded me to this one for Nitzer Ebb:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAS_wmiYTzE

I'm not sure if this is an official video, bit it's one of my favorites ever (and it looks cheaper and flashier than CBH's, yet it's great).

Paul
06-30-2013, 08:58 AM
I'm really not sure what the big uproar is over this video.

Did it defy all expectations? Yes.
Are you still talking about it days later? Yes.
Has any of its imagery stuck with you long after viewing? Yes.

Then I'd say "Mission accomplished."

-Paul

jessamineny
06-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Yeah, but this is a nerdy fucking NIN fan board. Of course we're talking about it days later. We're not the audience for the thousands and thousands of dollars that were spent on the damn thing.

cashpiles (closed)
06-30-2013, 09:56 AM
This is awesome. It's a return to the messy art of late 80s/early 90s music videos. It brings back memories of VHS tapes and editing videos in a public access tv station studio. It's a video you would watch at like 2am on a Friday or Saturday night on some alternative music video program. I hope everything goes totally old school. It's time to strip away the gloss and get messy again. Half-formed chaos. Primordial. The universe a few seconds after the Big Bang. This is mind-opening and will probably inspire tons of future music video directors. Are some of the haters just unconsciously wishing that the video was tied up in a nice neat bow...in some easily digestible McStory? How about use your god damned brains.

Paul
06-30-2013, 10:06 AM
I've always enjoyed how "Forward thinking" Trent has been this last decade, but for the first time ever he seems to be "Backward Thinking". Maybe thats the point, who knows!

Well that might make sense considering this new album originally started as some extra tracks on a Greatest Hits album. I wouldn't call it "backward thinking" as much as "looking back" at what Nine Inch Nails had been.

botley
06-30-2013, 10:32 AM
Now, MTV is dead and videos are viewed via the Internet and they just seem, I dunno, obsolete? Unnecessary? Going the way of the cassette or the 45 single? I just don't see it being a relevant form of marketing, anymore. And that was always its primary purpose: marketing. Sure, it could be "art" but lots of advertising can also be viewed as art. That doesn't mean it isn't primarily advertising. But I just don't get excited about music videos, anymore. I'm so completely oversaturated by YouTube and amateur clips of the day and amateur art and self-made videos and viral crap, I just don't care. Once you've seen OK Go on treadmills, you've seen it all. Nothing is new.
If I was trying to get people to stream my new song, I'd put it on the by-far largest streaming platform in the world (YouTube). That's where everyone in the world with broadband internet congregates.

If I had the option, I'd put a video with it to keep the listener's attention... the spinning tape deck is not compelling enough. If I had the budget, I'd get an A-list director to set some intriguing imagery to it so people talk about it and share it with their friends.

Music videos aren't really the artform they once were, but neither is music. Everything being instantly on-demand kinda fucked it all up.

Bluegirl
06-30-2013, 12:26 PM
This video makes me think of something meathead would do as a joke. I personally don't watch music videos any more so I don't really care. I am not really a fan of the song either but I never like the singles as much as I like the albums anyway.

Leviathant
06-30-2013, 12:49 PM
Whether or not you like the video, it makes for some fun avatars (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/profile.php?do=editavatar&categoryid=12).

richardp
06-30-2013, 01:18 PM
This video makes me think of something meathead would do as a joke. I personally don't watch music videos any more so I don't really care. I am not really a fan of the song either but I never like the singles as much as I like the albums anyway.

I loved the video, but fuck what I still wouldn't do to see Meathead come out of retirement just this once just to poke fun at it.

Jon
06-30-2013, 01:26 PM
Stan Brakhage, is that you?

(Video was good, that is all)

snaapz
06-30-2013, 03:20 PM
Very creative video. Defiantly a creepy feeling with the faces. I'm drawn to the monochrome room where we see an apparition grow and fill the room... kind of like a false awakening nightmare.

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/images/1.jpg

The parts where TR is seen is pretty creepy too. If you pause the video and use the arrow keys (right) to advance frame by frame you can see some creepy shots... I also noticed the lighting in the bg change, making me think the scene is cut & chopped with various shots..

I can only guess at what this is...

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/images/2.jpg

A girl? Wings? Spider or fly arms? Holding something long and narrow? Not sure what this represents...

I'm glad DL & TR were able to create a video which has generated so much gossip & opinions. I'm also glad it's a creepy and unique video. If this was my project/video then my family would have me checked by a psychologist.

thelastdisciple
06-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Whether or not you like the video, it makes for some fun avatars (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/profile.php?do=editavatar&categoryid=12).
hell yes and such is the new one i have chosen. ^_^

MrsMeowMeow
06-30-2013, 03:35 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mek4emwMl71qgxfuu.jpg

Nyx
06-30-2013, 03:57 PM
I can only guess at what this is...

http://snaapz.bounceme.net/images/2.jpg

A girl? Wings? Spider or fly arms? Holding something long and narrow? Not sure what this represents...
It's a ballerina wearing a gas mask. The "thing" on top of her is not a spider, it's a tick. For me, this is the most memorable/strongest image of the video, even more than the faces.
DigitalChaos pointed out that what she's holding resembles the artwork for the single:

i couldn't figure it out. The part she is holding looked like some sort of strap with squares across it. The squares look sort of similar to the new album art from:
http://i.imgur.com/hEQYJMI.jpg

johnhenry
06-30-2013, 06:19 PM
Stan Brakhage, is that you?

Nope, it's just me, E.E. Merhige.

TheRealNs1
06-30-2013, 06:22 PM
like others, when I first clicked on the link I thought it was a fucking joke. 5 views later, I'm still praying it's a joke.

this is srsly terribad; feels low budget. I would prefer studio/rehearsal videos via GoPro over this.

k258
06-30-2013, 09:17 PM
Look at it as a piece of abstract art and don't over-think it. Take away an impression. A feeling. It's enough.

SIR.LONDONCLEANLILY
06-30-2013, 09:18 PM
Thanks for posting that. Now I know not to trust your opinion. Having someone who likes the CBH video not like my work is a compliment. :)

Papagolash
06-30-2013, 09:19 PM

That's exactly what I said in my last post :D Any way of making some of them animated?

Leviathant
06-30-2013, 09:22 PM
That's exactly what I said in my last post :D Any way of making some of them animated?

You could certainly animate them, but you can't have animated avatars here (that's on purpose).

jmtd
07-01-2013, 03:38 AM
That face-on-the-moon thing looks like it might have been sculpted from a blob of wet toilet paper.

Edit: whilst abbreviated, at least the video edit of CBH doesn't chop out some of the instrumental work towards the end, my biggest complaint with the WITT radio edit.

Jon
07-01-2013, 10:47 AM
The "thing" on top of her is not a spider, it's a tick.

This probably has no significance, but ticks only have 6 legs until their first meal (blood). After they feed the first time they grow another pair of legs, bringing the total to 8.

eversonpoe
07-01-2013, 10:54 AM
This probably has no significance, but ticks only have 6 legs until their first meal (blood). After they feed the first time they grow another pair of legs, bringing the total to 8.

1. why do you know that?

2. grossssssss

3. does that still leave a tick classified as an insect, or is it an arachnid?

Jon
07-01-2013, 10:57 AM
1. why do you know that?

2. grossssssss

3. does that still leave a tick classified as an insect, or is it an arachnid?

1. I unfortunately paid attention in science ;)

2. It's only gross if you're their first meal

3. Ticks are classified as arthropods

Nyx
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
All insects and arachnids are classified as arthropods... Ticks are arachnids.
Edit: I've also never heard of them growing a pair of legs after their first meal. That's creepy if true.

greyskies13
07-01-2013, 12:42 PM
i think the video makes me like the song more

Jon
07-01-2013, 12:50 PM
All insects and arachnids are classified as arthropods... Ticks are arachnids.
Edit: I've also never heard of them growing a pair of legs after their first meal. That's creepy if true.

ticks are disgusting (http://science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/insects-arachnids/tick2.htm)

Bokononist
07-01-2013, 12:51 PM
I liked it. My biggest problem is the jump cutting towards the end. The images weird you out on their own without resorting to that. Can't say I'm a fan or even familiar with Lynch as I only watched Eraserhead and outside of the round headed girl singing didn't find it terribly memorable. Was her head round or am I mixing it up with Méliès? I guess it's not that memorable to me afterall.

ninsp
07-01-2013, 01:09 PM
I love the video. It gave me a lot more hope for CBH. Edgy and divisive video, harks back to old "unsettling" NIN...but PHM/WT/The Slip hybrid style. Originally, despite liking the song, the song worried me because it was more of the HLAH/The Hand That Feeds/Discipline style lead single...but the video showed me that this is more of an overall cohesion of all of NIN's eras and he wants that dark vibe back. I love the video for what it does.

allegro
07-01-2013, 01:28 PM
ticks are disgusting (http://science.howstuffworks.com/zoology/insects-arachnids/tick2.htm)
My dog had a tick on her ear last month and I managed to pull the tick off without leaving any part of it, but I was worried so I Googled and I saw this (http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/lite987.com/files/2012/05/dog-with-ticks-630x420.jpg).

And I haven't gotten it out of my mind, since.

And I've been waiting for this opportunity to share it with you all, so now I love this video.

Muaaaaa haha ha ha ha haa

eversonpoe
07-01-2013, 01:36 PM
My dog had a tick on her ear last month and I managed to pull the tick off without leaving any part of it, but I was worried so I Googled and I saw this (http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/lite987.com/files/2012/05/dog-with-ticks-630x420.jpg).

And I've been waiting for this opportunity to share it with you all, so now I love this video.

i'm not clicking that. you can't make me.

i am so glad i have more self-control than most people, because i really don't want to see anything gross today.

allegro
07-01-2013, 01:41 PM
It's not gross; it's fascinating!!!!!

That's okay, jessamineny didn't want to see it, either.

Chickens.

jessamineny
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
hahahahahaha I can't remember whether I actually ended up looking or not. I guess that means I didn't. :D

DigitalChaos
07-01-2013, 02:12 PM

Surprisingly, I've seen worse on a dog:
<Astoudingly unnecessary picture removed>

I've also seen them on a snake:

<Astoudingly unnecessary picture removed>

and here is a picture of a carmel apple rolled in coconut:
http://i.imgur.com/1fzBIxX.jpg

Needless to say, this isn't quite as creepy now. I'll take one giant tick over a shitload of them.

JessicaSarahS
07-01-2013, 02:18 PM
^^ ?!...
http://img.pandawhale.com/31164-Brian-vomit-gif-1ZSg.gif

Bokononist
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
Speaking of snakes, does anyone see a resemblance to those old linking plastic snakes in what the girl is holding?

DigitalChaos
07-01-2013, 02:27 PM
^^ ?!...

I'm just going to pretend that post is performance art inspired by Lynch's CBH video.

fun fact: i gathered those images and made the post while eating lunch!

BenAkenobi
07-01-2013, 02:29 PM
who says “gross” about ticks? humans take all the cake any day!

FernandoDante
07-01-2013, 02:33 PM
When did this become the gross-out thread?

hobochic
07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Would've loved Lynch to do the entire album artwork.

DigitalChaos
07-01-2013, 02:53 PM
Would've loved Lynch to do the entire album artwork.
I could see the single artwork being done by him. I'd be said to see RM's album artwork go though. I love the orange/blue.

eversonpoe
07-01-2013, 04:08 PM
did you have to post those images with no warning? couldn't have made them links?

:: barf ::

ughhhhh my stomach is definitely not as strong as my willpower.

thefragile_jake
07-01-2013, 04:25 PM
Gah! :( I hate seeing crap like that on dogs. :( :(

Anyway...

The more I watch this video, the more I love it. I'd say this one could probably even go in my top 5 NIN videos of all time...

Plus, I love seeing all that avatars people are using!

thelastdisciple
07-01-2013, 04:44 PM
The disgusting pictures in this thread are going to haunt me more than the video at this point.

MAD
07-01-2013, 05:00 PM
VERY SHORT VERSION OF CAME BACK HAUNTED

http://i.imgur.com/01w2kin.gif

henryeatscereal
07-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Jesus fuckin christ! ...what have you done to this thread?

rhet
07-01-2013, 05:05 PM
i kind of want to make that my avatar.

ZeroisGreg
07-01-2013, 06:54 PM
just tried Lynch's coffee...now watching video again. Man, this is great-tasting coffee...the video, not so much.

henryeatscereal
07-01-2013, 08:05 PM
just tried Lynch's coffee...now watching video again. Man, this is great-tasting coffee...the video, not so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxwcQ1dapw8

ninsp
07-01-2013, 08:19 PM
What the fuck?

Spoiler or link that shit please. Good lord.

FernandoDante
07-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Fucking paid spammers are at it again. Oh, the benefits of being on a major label:

http://www.antiquiet.com/news/2013/05/new-nine-inch-nails-album-is-finished-coming-later-this-year/#comment-137087

EDIT: new page. Amen.

http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v7/490558502_1/Candice-guo-Hot-sale-super-cute-plush-toy-doll-chi-s-cat-chi-s-sweet-home.jpg

ZeroSum
07-01-2013, 09:31 PM
I love the video. It gave me a lot more hope for CBH. Edgy and divisive video, harks back to old "unsettling" NIN...but PHM/WT/The Slip hybrid style. Originally, despite liking the song, the song worried me because it was more of the HLAH/The Hand That Feeds/Discipline style lead single...but the video showed me that this is more of an overall cohesion of all of NIN's eras and he wants that dark vibe back. I love the video for what it does.

I agree with you almost 100 percent (I would probably just say I like the video instead of love the video, still don't like the dancing ballerina thing and the cheesy lightning bolts). The fact that it was edgy, unsettling, and a little out of the box totally seems to be evidence that Hesitation Marks should aim to recapture the classic NIN feel (and yes, with the more modern influences incorporated.) Honestly, I'd probably be a little worried if this video were the typical thing of the band jamming out in the studio, and realistically I was expecting this to fall somewhere between that and the HTDA "How Long" video. As cool as it would have been to see that, I think music videos are better when they are more artistically motivated and abstract. I'm glad this video is weird and bizarre. It elicits a response from me, I enjoy it on repeat viewings, and something more typical would have most likely been something I watched once or twice and then just forgot about. Anyways, the last thing I want for HM is for it to be With Teeth 2 (It was cool to have a more straightforward mainstream rock style album from NIN, but we don't need 2) and I can't even begin to imagine a video like this fitting any With Teeth song. So there ya go.

Dragoro
07-01-2013, 09:36 PM
I really like the dancing ballerina (hate the lightening bolts) and the smoke in the room. Has a definite HP Lovecraft feel to it.

Dragoro
07-01-2013, 09:38 PM
Edit: I keep seeing mentions of NIN videos, like HTDA How Long, that I cant find on youtube. Any clues to finding em?

vpintz
07-01-2013, 09:58 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/f5907e0c764826b94c5bd3c84bda848b/tumblr_mpag7yRmiP1qit7qwo1_500.png
Is this a fucking blob fish? I'm way too sober for this nonsense.

piggy
07-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Edit: I keep seeing mentions of NIN videos, like HTDA How Long, that I cant find on youtube. Any clues to finding em?
http://vimeo.com/destroyangels

thelastdisciple
07-01-2013, 10:43 PM
VERY SHORT VERSION OF CAME BACK HAUNTED

-content snip-
You could probably even sum up the video with a mashup of brief Vine clips lol

jesus
07-02-2013, 12:52 AM
So I just showed the video to my brother (he hated NIN) but he said "that's the first song that I like of them", and he also liked the video. I'm starting to like more and more that video and song, and it seems that it brings new fans :D , this just made my day

The Reason Being
07-02-2013, 02:41 PM
For the past few days me and my best friend, who's as big a NIN fan as I am, have been posting the most awful pop music videos we can find on facebook with the caption "Still better than the came back haunted video", and oh man have there been some laugh out loud ones. But its cheered me up a bit about the video and now I can at least watch it in a "so bad its good" way.

cicada
07-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Don't love this video at all. Yes it elicits a response, but the response is "hey, this is shit"
Survivalism and Only were much more interesting. OK they were more palatable and more straightforward, which some people don't like, and I get that people are appreciating the unsettling nature of CBH video, but for me I just think, visually, it is very unimpressive.

snaapz
07-03-2013, 09:06 AM
Don't compare apples and oranges.

TR and DL are both brilliant artists & producers of art. I'll admit that I did raise an eyebrow when I started watching the video... I said "oh, so that's the angle they are using for this one..." and I appreciated it for what it is and connected the dots.

Mind you... I enjoy odd, abstract and confusing things.

baudolino
07-03-2013, 09:26 AM
seriously, I doubt the video is as abstract as claimed within this thread. Imo it actually translates CBH's lyrics into pictures/scenes very well. The style used is a matter of taste of course.

M1ke
07-04-2013, 07:06 PM
What the fuck is this shit. Holy hell, that's god-damn awful.

thefragile_jake
07-04-2013, 11:34 PM
I'm shocked everyone is still lukewarm about the video.

I'm really digging it still, the weird visuals and camera techniques enhanced and molded how I hear the song now giving it much more of a nightmarish vibe when I listen.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1044842_10151718935051221_1188999958_n.jpg

Besides the fact that his hair is shorter, this picture feels very Fragile era Trent Reznor.

sick among the pure
07-05-2013, 01:21 AM
https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1044842_10151718935051221_1188999958_n.jpg

Besides the fact that his hair is shorter, this picture feels very Fragile era Trent Reznor.

All the photos (and what you can make out of the video) make Trent look younger than I've seen in recent red carpet and interview type photos. I think it's the shave and short but not buzzed hair.

(if you're talking about the atmosphere of the photo, I also agree with that)

thefragile_jake
07-05-2013, 01:29 AM
All the photos (and what you can make out of the video) make Trent look younger than I've seen in recent red carpet and interview type photos. I think it's the shave and short but not buzzed hair.

(if you're talking about the atmosphere of the photo, I also agree with that)

No you're right, he does look much younger and a bit more toned down than I think I remember him being for quite sometime. Yes, the atmosphere for sure too because it reminds me of something maybe from the Into the Void video shoot...but he also just looks slimmer to me. Especially when compared to this (http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BOTQwNDY5NTE1NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNDY3MjcyNw@@._ V1._SX640_SY982_.jpg).

Not saying Trent looks bad in those pictures but even the rehearsal photos (https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/998389_10151699165916221_391228174_n.jpg) make him seem much younger.

I would've loved to have seen some behind the scenes video of them shooting this.

dlb
07-05-2013, 02:34 AM
so here we are...

at first I didn't like it at all, but I found myself coming back to it several times since its release and I have to say that I actually like what I'm seeing now. My only gripes being that I expected something more in vain of a classic music video (we haven't had that in a while and I was disappointed with survivalism) and the fact that I found that tick-ballerina-girl to be an absolutely stupid image. Seriously, nothing scary. Just stupid. But as soon as the wild shots of Trent kick in around the 1:30 min mark I'm beginning to enjoy it. So a little bit more of Trent and a little lower pacing and less static imagery would make this a perfect video for CBH imho.

oh, and I'm in no ways a Lynch fan. I do enjoy some of his movies, but not for the sake of them being Lynch's work.

Frozen Beach
07-05-2013, 02:39 AM
The best part about this music video is the vast reactions it has drawn. Has any other NIN video accomplished this? Sorry, I was only around starting with With Teeth.

thefragile_jake
07-05-2013, 02:48 AM
Again I think what I like the most about it is how disturbing and weird it is at times, the shakey camera just fits the song perfectly and gives it a mental breakdown like atmosphere. It feels like something that would be within a Nine Inch Nails video. I have a soft spot in my heart for everything NIN related but ever since the start of the With Teeth era, the music videos didn't really have that kind of creepy old school vibe...not that they always needed to be, Nine Inch Nails should always be a reflection on where Trent is at in his head and it gives me excitement that Lynch created something so strangely fitting.

Heck, I just even rewatched a couple old videos earlier today and while I have more history with songs like Starfuckers and Deep, Came Back Haunted might be a better video all around than those. Yet, I do love the Star"suck"ers video because of how much of a middle finger it is.

hobochic
07-05-2013, 04:15 AM
I'm shocked everyone is still lukewarm about the video.

I'm really digging it still, the weird visuals and camera techniques enhanced and molded how I hear the song now giving it much more of a nightmarish vibe when I listen.

I love how they both look like Norman Rockwell characters in these photos. Lynch sits and looks like Rockwell doing his art...

http://0.tqn.com/d/arthistory/1/7/4/2/1/Norman-Rockwell-Triple-Self-Portrait-1960.jpg

...and Trent looks like a grown up version of a Rockwell kid with that 50's buzz cut.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-baxEgs2GIKA/T_cohTb3cII/AAAAAAAACzk/YXx0UcuQJps/s400/norman+rockwell29.jpg

MrsMeowMeow
07-05-2013, 05:12 AM
Trents hair reminded me instantly of Alistair from dragon age
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110616082251/dragonage/images/7/74/Alistair.jpeg

Fred
07-05-2013, 05:39 AM
The best part about this music video is the vast reactions it has drawn. Has any other NIN video accomplished this? Sorry, I was only around starting with With Teeth.

Well, probably mostly in terms of stuff that needed to be censored or was otherwise controversial. And, I guess, everything related to the "Broken" movie. I think this kind of "It's good! No, it's horrible!"-reaction is a first, though. "Closer" was widely renowned as a masterpiece while "Deep" was widely shunned. This seems to have plenty of both lovers and haters.

katara
07-05-2013, 01:00 PM
I found that tick-ballerina-girl to be an absolutely stupid image. Seriously, nothing scary. Just stupid.
I feel that rather than shock and scare tactics, Lynch went for something unsettling. Kind of like how a nightmare can really jar you without its content being scary.

elevenism
07-05-2013, 03:03 PM
I've never seen any of Lynch's movies (nothing against him; just don't watch many movies in general). So maybe there's something I'm missing. But...I just don't get this video. At all.

I've always thought of David Lynch's movies as kinda like a painting. He's REALLY good at creating tension and disturbing images....as far as cohesion of story or plot, he REALLY doesn't give a fuck. At all.

I think it's fucking AWESOME that Lynch directed the video, and it's pretty cool. I mean it's a damn good video. I just maybe expected a little more out of lynch, but it DOES have that bizarre Eraserhead feel to it. For people who aren't used to Lynch...don't expect an easy "interpretation." He's always kinda left that up to us. And honestly, i REALLY don't think lynch gives a FUCK what the song is about. I'm probably wrong on this one, but that's how it feels.

Okay, so for the record, yes, the video kicks ass.
However... I am reminded ever so slightly of the scene in "Basquiat" where Basquiat is trying to sell "ignorant art" to David Bowie playing Andy Warhol.
Bowie/Warhol says "Ohhh...you didn't WORK very hard on these, did you?"

(if you aren't familiar with basquiat, hurry up and look at some artwork or at least watch the fucking movie, you lazy junkie..:)

henryeatscereal
07-05-2013, 05:12 PM
^Basquiat is an awesome movie! good taste man!

elevenism
07-06-2013, 02:32 AM
Honestly, now that im 33....NIN could have made a video of tumbleweeds blowing, or scenes from megaman, or pictures of a clear blue sky...and i would have been THRILLED.
20 years (of fandom) in, and it's a NEW NIN VIDEO...for a NEW NIN SINGLE...from a NEW NIN ALBUM!
And this isn't '92...or '02...it's fucking (post) TWENTY TWELVE. maybe im just a fanboy. maybe im just getting old. Maybe the new skrillex and lady gaga and jay-z vids are more exciting. And i'm not being sarcastic...i love all those artists.
But i promise you, (most of you,) if you had been around like we had...if they had made fun of you for wearing your PHM or Fixed shirts in ELEMENTARY/MIDDLE school, you might feel differently.

And NO...I'm not saying swallow whatever they feed you. DON'T, as a matter of fact!

Just understand...we didn't used to have the interwebs. We walked 20 miles to school in the snow, uphill BOTH ways.
And we didn't have "cereal," we ate STICKS and ROCKS for breakfast!

Thank GOD and JESUS that Trent/NIN still exists!

ambergris
07-06-2013, 07:01 AM
So I was able to watch the video in Germany.... It's interesting. When I watched it first I was very tired and it was almost too much input. Today, I can handle it better, but it's still very intense. I think that the cuts/lighting changes actually subvert the beat instead of supporting it. Also, I keep wondering if they implant subliminal messages with the red dots, red lines, the lightnings in the cloud, the dancing dots... What is the room with the cloud supposed to mean? It's really reminiscient of the early Lynch.

theimage13
07-08-2013, 03:56 PM
20 years (of fandom) in, and it's a NEW NIN VIDEO...for a NEW NIN SINGLE...from a NEW NIN ALBUM!
And this isn't '92...or '02...it's fucking (post) TWENTY TWELVE. maybe im just a fanboy. maybe im just getting old.

But i promise you, (most of you,) if you had been around like we had...if they had made fun of you for wearing your PHM or Fixed shirts in ELEMENTARY/MIDDLE school, you might feel differently.

I've been a fan for about 20 years as well. I've been around for all of the "we're waiting HOW MANY YEARS?" eras. I grew up without cable and had a dial up connection for the longest time, so I didn't even see my first NIN video until almost a decade after I started listening to them. Trust me, we're in the same boat.

But I don't feel the same way you do. Am I excited about a new album coming out? Yes. Did I preorder it without hearing a single second of one song? You know it. But I don't have the same all-in appreciation; the "I'd be thrilled for a video of tumbleweeds" devotion that you do. Maybe with age I've gotten more discerning. Or more weary. Or both. NIN has a strong enough track record for me, and I've enjoyed their past offerings so much, that I'll definitely give Trent and company a few bucks for a new album out of blind faith. But I can't find myself liking a video simply because it exists. It still needs to move me somehow, or at least just draw me in. And in this case, it doesn't.

But hey, not every band will please every fan with every move they make. And the video hasn't made me like NIN any less. It's just not my cup of tea.

antiskum
07-12-2013, 09:32 AM
i think the song's pretty rubbish, but the video's excellent. almost makes me dig the track.

ninjaw
07-14-2013, 03:35 AM
The video is now available on vimeo (https://vimeo.com/70257842) you still cannot download it but you can rip it in 'hd' for 104MB, strange thing is there is more than 1mn of credits added.

themethatyouknow
07-15-2013, 08:49 PM
So the first time watched this I had to turn it off at around 1:15 because I got physically ill from the flashing. I watched it again with a few turns to the side and realized I was right the first time. It's a steaming pile. It's like most Lynch things in that it caters to those who want something totally different to get behind. But it also lacks substance. The only real point I could see, was to give someone a seizure. The flashing bullshit that made me sick had no real purpose except to try to make someone sick.

BRoswell
07-15-2013, 08:54 PM
Right, because every Nine Inch Nails video before this had substance out the ass.

If it's too weird for you, cool, but criticizing this video for a lack of subtext is ridiculous.

becomingtom
07-16-2013, 03:44 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the video doesn't start for over a minute now when you play it on the nin.com front page? I doubt it's just my computer. I tried it on Internet Explorer and Firefox.

howdidislipinto
07-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the video doesn't start for over a minute now when you play it on the nin.com front page? I doubt it's just my computer. I tried it on Internet Explorer and Firefox.

Yeah, I was just going to say, I was excited to see the video was on Vimeo so I could share it with people, and only after sharing it realized the Vimeo version has a minute of technical stuff beforehand. Guess the wrong version got uploaded.

https://vimeo.com/70257842

Edit: Aaaaand I now see it was already mentioned on the last page. D'oh.