PDA

View Full Version : Bootleg Halos?

TheLazenby
06-19-2013, 12:43 PM
I've always wondered.... is "Suck" (Halo 0) the only NIN bootleg that was given a Halo?

I mean, it wouldn't surprise me if there were others - there's always some clever bootlegger who tries to make their product look legit. (Loads of Beatles bootlegs claimed to be 'Apple Records' products, for instance.)

BenAkenobi
06-19-2013, 01:50 PM
other than this “best of” CD i'm afraid there aren't
http://i1260.photobucket.com/albums/ii574/benakenobi/halosixteen_zpsb3540c9b.jpg
--edit--
“halo sixteen”
contents: wish, terrible lie, dead souls, get down make love, mr self destruct, into the void, burn, suck, piggy, march of the pigs, sin, eraser, we're in this together, down in it, heresy, head like a hole, last, something i can never have (soundtrack mix)

sorta tastefully done, i might add

TheLazenby
06-19-2013, 01:53 PM
I didn't know about that one! Thanks!

(Funny they called it "The Art of Self Destruction".... and none of the four parts of that song are included.)

sheepdean
06-19-2013, 02:18 PM
I see Halo Numbers on lots of bootlegs, usually it's one that wasn't out yet (so like, a 90s bootleg that says halo 25). But Suck's usage of Halo 0 is very memorable, so it sticks better than the rest.

TheLazenby
06-19-2013, 03:19 PM
Hmm - any in particular you can think of?

The "Suck" one is funny in how it goes out of its way to make you think it's a pre-PHM promo - the entire back cover is a giant "1987". The tracks weren't recorded for at least three years!

TheLazenby
07-14-2013, 01:50 PM
Damn... went through about every bootleg cover on discogs.com looking for halos, no luck! :confused:

NINfanatic82
07-14-2013, 02:01 PM
I know 1 of the 2 guys responsible for the Suck/Supernaut pressing and distribution and that back cover w/ the 1987 is actually from a different techno-type group from the mid to late 80s that were on the record company these 2 guys worked for at the time that never really made it big and they just used the big NIN rubber stamp and threw it on those back inserts they took from the record company! They still have about 40 copies of Suck sitting in Florida that have not been circulated!! I have made an offer for the stamp many times, and have a few of the cds! Pretty interesting, they used to sell the cds out of their trunks and to local record stores and soldered the #'s off the discs so no trace could be made back to them! He says that Trent was irate when they started to circulate!

NotoriousTIMP
07-14-2013, 03:10 PM
^^^
Learned something new today :) I've always wondered where/who these discs came from....

NINfanatic82
07-14-2013, 03:23 PM
Ya, I always wondered myself and came across the guy and I bought a copy off of him and we started talking and he sent me pics of the stamp and the cds and basically told me the history of that cd. Even stating that is came from Canada was just making sure "bootlegging" these would never trace back to them! He is still in the music business and sent me a box full of promo NIN stuff w/ a couple more of the cds! When I get the $, I am going to buy those 40 copies off him, I think he stated if I bought them all he could do $10-15 a piece, & I am going to give them out on here and not be a jackass and try and get rich! Even though they are boots, they are still a really cool piece to add to the collection!

ericy210
07-14-2013, 04:10 PM
According to Wikipedia, halo 16 is things falling apart. Aren't these just made-up halos to look legit, like mentioned above?

NINfanatic82
07-14-2013, 04:34 PM
I would assume it would be to look legit, but honestly other than Suck and the one pictured above I personally have never seen another bootleg labeled as a Halo!? Not really sure...

sheepdean
07-15-2013, 04:39 AM
Shit like this pisses me off.

For one, the artwork is horrendous. They're also missing crucial singles on that thing, replaced with a bunch of slapdash album offerings that hardly qualify as definitive NIN.
All bootlegs should piss you off because someone is making money off of someone else's work

BenAkenobi
07-15-2013, 05:42 AM
Shit like this pisses me off...

Heh, i received it as freebie with a lot of genuine CDs, so i'm not complaining. Sorry it was so disturbing for you.

NotoriousTIMP
07-15-2013, 09:49 AM
After thinking about the whole halo numbering system on bootlegs, I vaguely remember there being a professionally pressed single disc bootleg for the Atlanta Fragility show that I *think* had a halo on it. I spoke to the guy who recorded it and had it pressed to CD when he was selling them on eBay in 2001. It's not a complete show and the reason why is because it was going to cost him too much $$$ to get a 2CD set pressed. I used to own a copy of this disc about 12 years ago but lost it during a move. :(

does anyone have a copy of the artwork that came with this release? If memory serves me correctly, I believe this was the only silver backed recording from the Fragility 2.0 tour....

katara
07-15-2013, 05:09 PM
No way I would see that cd in a store and believe it was official with artwork that bad. It's slapdash, at best. But that's splitting hairs, really.
Honestly, it's on par with most of the tribute CDs.

SM Rollinger
07-15-2013, 08:04 PM
Not since i made the mistake of buying a Ministry one like 15 years ago...

NINfanatic82
07-15-2013, 08:05 PM
No way in hell I will buy or have ever bought any tribute crap!!

NotoriousTIMP
07-15-2013, 09:24 PM
I too made the mistake of buying a tribute album....mine was for Depeche Mode so you can imagine how horrid it was

sheepdean
07-15-2013, 10:17 PM
Y'all gonna pretend that the U2 tribute album that NIN was on didn't exist then, yeah?

Tribute albums are great so long as the artists are great and don't try to carbon copy the songs.

NotoriousTIMP
07-15-2013, 11:15 PM
Personally, I hate tribute albums. Show me on tribute album that is half way decent......oh wait.....

sheepdean
07-15-2013, 11:27 PM
Side note, if you want a fantastic tribute album, try Deadicated (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000002VHS/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000002VHS&linkCode=as2&tag=theninhotli0a-20), the Grateful Dead one. It has Jane's Addiction, Elvis Costello, Dr John and even Burning Spear.

eversonpoe
07-16-2013, 07:35 AM
there are two pixies tribute albums that are both pretty good. one had local H, weezer, the get up kids and some other pop-punky bands, and the other had mogwai, ok go, they might be giants, & british sea power. if you combine those two and get rid of the less awesome tracks from each, you'd have probably the best tribute album you could manage.

timdotexe
07-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Personally, I hate tribute albums. Show me on tribute album that is half way decent......oh wait.....

Masters of misery - black sabbath tribute. OLD covering who are you is my idea of a great cover :)

SM Rollinger
07-16-2013, 06:39 PM
Y'all gonna pretend that the U2 tribute album that NIN was on didn't exist then, yeah?

Im not gonna even lie, ive only listened to Zoo Station once and i dont think i made it thru the whole song. Snooooooooozeeeeeee........

thevoid99
07-16-2013, 11:12 PM
That U2 tribute CD was WEAK. 'Zoo Station' added nothing to the original and sounded nothing like a NIN song. The only redeeming song on the whole thing was the song Garbage covered.

I sort of disagree as I thought it was a good cover though the best track in that album was Depeche Mode's cover of "So Cruel" along with cuts by Garbage, the Killers, and Jack White. The worst cover was from the Fray. God, those guys suck ass.

TheBang
07-16-2013, 11:22 PM
does anyone have a copy of the artwork that came with this release? If memory serves me correctly, I believe this was the only silver backed recording from the Fragility 2.0 tour....
There were several others. "Fragile in Berlin", "Fragmentation Bomb", and "Fragiliglade", amongst others.

NotoriousTIMP
07-17-2013, 12:10 AM
There were several others. "Fragile in Berlin", "Fragmentation Bomb", and "Fragiliglade", amongst others.

Those are all from Fragility 1.0 - I think Fragiliaglade was a professionally pressed CDr though....

katara
07-17-2013, 06:33 AM
Why the hate for Zoo Station? Since The Slip we've only had that and Tetsuo. I thought it was awesome, personally.

Jon
07-17-2013, 09:35 AM
Tribute CDs don't count though; does anybody actually buy those things?

I feel so ashamed... I own:

Radiant Decay
Covered In Nails
Re-Covered In Nails 2001
Closer To The Spiral
The Broken Machine
String Quartet Tribute
String Quartet Tribute To Pretty Hate Machine
Lullabye Renditions Of Nine Inch Nails

I've never even listened to a full CD and most of these I've had for over 10 years

eversonpoe
07-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I feel so ashamed... I own:

Radiant Decay
Covered In Nails
Re-Covered In Nails 2001
Closer To The Spiral
The Broken Machine
String Quartet Tribute
String Quartet Tribute To Pretty Hate Machine
Lullabye Renditions Of Nine Inch Nails

I've never even listened to a full CD and most of these I've had for over 10 years

i have radiant decay, the first string quartet tribute, and lullabies. all of those lullaby CDs are incredibly well-done.

eversonpoe
07-20-2013, 09:15 AM
Seriously? I have been tempted, over the years, to grab the NIN, Nirvana and Deftones ones...

just so you know, you start almost every one of your posts with a note of condescending disbelief. something i've noticed all over the board when reading what you write.

anyway, yeah, they're really well done. the cure, NIN, deftones, and TOOL ones are all fantastic. many of the other ones are great, too.