PDA

View Full Version : Mantra and Trent Reznor's Piano Sampling

Chibi
06-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Hi all.

I just today stumbled upon the song Mantra, performed by Trent and some other notables. During the song, there's a piano rift that is way too familiar and I for the life of me cannot decipher which of Reznor's songs I know it from.

http://www.listenonrepeat.com/watch/?v=L2kGNdE0b5Q The piano sampling I mention starts at 4:55 in.

I know I've heard it somewhere before....!

If you know where, please tell me xD

Thanks!

botley
06-09-2013, 10:38 PM
It's the same line as the chorus from "Beside You In Time".

Chibi
06-10-2013, 12:24 AM
Aaaah. Yes, you're right.

I really should have known that.

Thank you.

snaapz
06-10-2013, 03:17 PM
This came to my mind when I first heard the song and one particular part near the end...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgfnCTp3p7U

P.S. I think Mantra is an awesome listen, great song.

Chibi
06-13-2013, 09:11 PM
Interesting. I do sort of hear the resemblance...

elevenism
06-13-2013, 09:25 PM
what is this song from and why did no one tell me about it?

seasonsinthesky
06-13-2013, 09:28 PM
what is this song from and why did no one tell me about it?

the Sound City soundtrack. it was all over this board when it came out.

also, for the sake of clarity: TR playing the BYIT piano line isn't sampling! it's only sampling if he actually uses the original recording.

botley
06-14-2013, 07:23 AM
Yes and no. Particularly in moden art music, some composers and performers have started appropriating "sampling" to mean the same thing as "quoting from". I don't approve of this word usage, but it is spreading, despite being little more than a clumsy and transparent attempt to appear hip.

liquidcalm
06-14-2013, 07:25 AM
Yes and no. Particularly in moden art music, some composers and performers have started appropriating "sampling" to mean the same thing as "quoting from". I don't approve of this word usage, but it is spreading, despite being little more than a clumsy and transparent attempt to appear hip.
At least no one is saying they retweeted a riff.... Yet.

botley
06-14-2013, 07:27 AM
To be clear, if anyone did that I would definitely both cringe and facepalm at the same time.

liquidcalm
06-14-2013, 07:34 AM
As would I.
'yo bro I toats rt'd that bass' *shudder*
Sampling has become a bit blurred as musics become more data driven.. Midi + melodyne etc.. But yeah there is a huge difference between quoting and referencing a melody/composition and sampling something recorded

elevenism
06-14-2013, 10:14 AM
the Sound City soundtrack. it was all over this board when it came out.

also, for the sake of clarity: TR playing the BYIT piano line isn't sampling! it's only sampling if he actually uses the original recording.

Ahhh....sadly, when i'm living in dallas and close to my vices, i can't afford the interwebz...or tv for that matter. what the hell is sound city?
it's only when i take a break and come out to the country where my family is that i wind up being able to see ets...that's why i disappear for 2 years at a time sometimes.

eversonpoe
06-14-2013, 02:10 PM
Ahhh....sadly, when i'm living in dallas and close to my vices, i can't afford the interwebz...or tv for that matter. what the hell is sound city?
it's only when i take a break and come out to the country where my family is that i wind up being able to see ets...that's why i disappear for 2 years at a time sometimes.

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1408-Mantra-%28from-Sound-City%29