PDA

View Full Version : NEW SINGLE: Came Back Haunted

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

witte
06-04-2013, 01:30 PM
"came back haunted" (http://news.radio.com/2013/06/04/nine-inch-nails-to-debut-new-single-came-back-haunted-june-6/ )

WorzelG
06-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Love the title, booked tickets for Reading in August, it's all sinking in now. Hope the single is online before night time in the UK, don't want to wait till Friday

Leviathant
06-04-2013, 02:08 PM
I'd like to take this opportunity to remind folks that last time KROQ did the debut thing (Immigrant Song) the track was not aired on the online stream, and was exclusive to the airwaves.

BatBrain
06-04-2013, 02:08 PM
It'll be 19.30 UK time.

otnavuskire
06-04-2013, 02:09 PM
I'd like to take this opportunity to remind folks that last time KROQ did the debut thing (Immigrant Song) the track was not aired on the online stream, and was exclusive to the airwaves.

I also recall the DJ acted all surprised when she heard it wasn't streamed, and didn't understand why this was, and aired it again.

sheepdean
06-04-2013, 02:09 PM
Came Back Haunted sounds a wee bit Strobe Light :P

But yay, new NIN!

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 02:10 PM
Good point. Anyone going to try capturing the OTA broadcast?

Leviathant
06-04-2013, 02:10 PM
I also recall the DJ acted all surprised when she heard it wasn't streamed, and didn't understand why this was, and aired it again.

She was genuinely surprised, it was done without her knowledge.

NIN64
06-04-2013, 02:11 PM

I still feel the anger from that night every time I hear that Of Monsters and Men song they played on the stream instead. . . "Little Talks" *shudder*

pukkelpop
06-04-2013, 02:12 PM
It'll be 19.30 UK time.
then it will be 20.30 in Belgium/Western Europe. stoked!

probably that program will be full of advertisement untill 10.55 -local time..

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 02:12 PM

But yay, new NIN!
Yea, "Came Back Haunted" just doesn't sound like a NIN track. Maybe that's because it wasn't a NIN track for 23 years. When I quickly read the posting, I thought that was the person's description of their experience of previewing the track (I came back haunted!). I'm sure it will all make sense when we hear it or see how it falls into the rest of the album.

miss k bee
06-04-2013, 02:13 PM
this last two weeks has been one of the best in music for me!!

trollmanen
06-04-2013, 02:15 PM
One disadvantage of being a on a major label, this info leaked ahead of time. I'm assuming Trent would have rather just had it drop on Thursday unannounced as a surprise. Remember Discipline coming out of nowhere (aside from a vague hint about something coming in two weeks)?

sheepdean
06-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Trent Reznor: did Ghosts, came back haunted

pukkelpop
06-04-2013, 02:17 PM
One disadvantage of being a on a major label, this info leaked ahead of time. I'm assuming Trent would have rather just had it drop on Thursday unannounced as a surprise. Remember Discipline coming out of nowhere (aside from a vague hint about something coming in two weeks)?
for a lot of people it will be a suprise. and we, we're already fired up

smokey_mcpot
06-04-2013, 02:21 PM
According to Los Angeles radio station KROQ (http://news.radio.com/2013/06/04/nine-inch-nails-to-debut-new-single-came-back-haunted-june-6/), the song is titled “Came Back Haunted” and will premiere Thursday at 2:30pm ET/11:30pm PT. KROQ’s Program Director Lisa Worden says the song “harkens back to early Nine Inch Nails,” adding, “I think it’s in line with the first two albums. It’s got a great beat, it’s not the experimental material Trent’s done in the last five years.”

hmmmmmmm so very curious...

JessicaSarahS
06-04-2013, 02:24 PM

Where did the June 6 date come from originally? I feel like I've had that day marked for a couple months now.

BrokenSpiral
06-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Sweet! Sounds dance-y with a good beat? Cool. I miss the NIN's.

Leviathant
06-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Where did the June 6 date come from originally? I feel like I've had that day marked for a couple months now.

I believe Antiquiet got the scoop on May 2.

JessicaSarahS
06-04-2013, 02:28 PM
I believe Antiquiet got the scoop on May 2.

Ah, that's it. Thanks!

scorpiusdiamond
06-04-2013, 02:29 PM
“I think it’s in line with the first two albums."

Um, what? PHM and TDS are completely(ish) different though?

Homesick Alien
06-04-2013, 02:30 PM
A throwback to Pretty Hate Machine and Downward Spiral? Now I'm even more excited for this album to come out!

sheepdean
06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
[/I][/COLOR]
Um, what? PHM and TDS are completely(ish) different though?
I assumed that was Broken/TDS because online journalism is awful

LockeDown
06-04-2013, 02:33 PM
I will do my best to record it since I happen to live in KROQ range. Will be working at that time but will try to rig something up in advance -- sure by then someone will already beat me to it.

GavinCollins420
06-04-2013, 02:35 PM
Well, there goes my Thursday plans.

jessamineny

It's a direct quote (“I think it’s in line with the first two albums,”), not an interpretation of what she said.

DigitalChaos
I was assuming PHM+Broken (makes more sense) or PHM+TDS (I could still see that).

MrSlfDstruct
06-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Hopefully this means an online/iTunes release tomorrow sometime as well.

marodi
06-04-2013, 02:37 PM
I saw that thread on the first page of ETS and I thought the song had been released today. I was so happy!

And then I found out it's going to come out Thursday.

I hate all of you.

Okay, not really.

I'm going to go sleep until Thursday now.

hobochic
06-04-2013, 02:42 PM
Meanwhile, here's our new and only "song witness" Lisa Worden AKA (https://twitter.com/Peachy67) on how she operates and programs KROQ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XztWZB3fhA

FernandoDante
06-04-2013, 02:45 PM

But yay, new NIN!
I opened this thread just to post the exact same thing.

I mean, it's a COMEBACK track and all.

mfte
06-04-2013, 02:47 PM
The article mentioned that it has been half a decade since the SLIP.

What makes me feel weird is that it was half a decade between TDS and Fragile... that felt like a damn eternity

Since the SLIP came out it has definately not felt like eternity. Is time moving faster or does time feel like its moving faster the older you get?

WorzelG
06-04-2013, 02:48 PM
I'm wondering if this album will be a 'personal journey' type thing or a concept /story - the title doesn't really give it away, could be either

BrokenSpiral
06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm not one to get hung up on song titles and what not. But it does instantly make me think Stone Sour/Corey Taylor.

Deepvoid
06-04-2013, 02:49 PM
When someone from radio or a magazine says that it sounds like the first album or something along those lines, it's usually a good indication that it's not gonna sound like the first record.

MrSlfDstruct
06-04-2013, 02:50 PM

What makes me feel weird is that it was half a decade between TDS and Fragile... that felt like a damn eternity

Since the SLIP came out it has definately not felt like eternity. Is time moving faster or does time feel like its moving faster the older you get?

Well, between The Slip and now we've still had plenty of output from TR. Back in those days, we got one song and a remix album of said song and that was pretty much it.

FernandoDante
06-04-2013, 02:51 PM

Well, we had a sountrack album, then an EP, then a sountrack TRIPLE album, then another EP and another album. As opposed to... Tapeworm?

Fragile Teeth
06-04-2013, 02:53 PM
My body is not ready. I'm excited but I don't want to get my hopes up too high.

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 02:54 PM

It's age! Time is relative. The percentage of your life that 5 years made up during TDS was much higher than the percentage of your life during The Slip.

Jadezuki
06-04-2013, 02:57 PM
It was also roughly a half a decade between Fragile and With Teeth. And at that point it felt like we'd never have new NIN again. It's age, but also there were a good few years of NIN touring in the last five years.

UninTY
06-04-2013, 02:58 PM
The level to which news like this consumes my life is a little scary. It verifies that I'm still 16 years old somewhere inside. :)

Leo_OAK
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
The level to which news like this consumes my life is a little scary. It verifies that I'm still 16 years old somewhere inside. :)

Amen to that. Same here.

GavinCollins420
06-04-2013, 03:00 PM
I saw that thread on the first page of ETS and I thought the song had been released today. I was so happy!

And then I found out it's going to come out Thursday.

I hate all of you.

Ten times this.

manik instandin
06-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Stoked. Can't wait to get my grubby hands on it to remix!

Is time moving faster or does time feel like its moving faster the older you get?

"Time" definitely moves faster the older we get. You don't have the same condensed sense of memories in that 5 year period that you had before. Time is relative to perception. That's why there's no time like the present! :)

icklekitty
06-04-2013, 03:03 PM
I trust someone here will rip the song so we can enjoy it in its low-bitrate shitty goodness until the real thing gets released?

The title sounds crap, but then I thought that about My Violent Heart and that song is delightful.

hobochic
06-04-2013, 03:05 PM
Ten times this.

Enjoy the silence, the song might be shitty. Right now it's the best song EVER.

r_z
06-04-2013, 03:06 PM
I wonder, who arranged the meeting to discuss calling the comeback song for NINs comeback "came back haunted". Actually, I don't.

MAY have to listen to the actual song first 'though... you know... before going all ETS on this.

Now back to this Aniston movie. See you Thursday.

BrokenSpiral
06-04-2013, 03:07 PM
Yeah, it's been awhile since we've had to rely on the shit quality radio rip for a NIN song. So spoiled with the "I made a new song, download it in whatever quality you want" era of NIN.

jaypayton
06-04-2013, 03:18 PM
Trent returning to his synth pop roots? perhaps?

somewhat_
06-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Yeah, it's been awhile since we've had to rely on the shit quality radio rip for a NIN song. So spoiled with the "I made a new song, download it in whatever quality you want" era of NIN.

I think TR still appreciates a good quality first impression, so I wouldn't be surprised if a high quality download will be available right away.

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 03:25 PM
I just hope this album has a shitload of energy. Lots of the music coming out lately has been... slow.

fillow
06-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Didn't you hear? That old geezer from King Crimson is supposedly in it.
Go back to your cave.

ryanmcfly
06-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Not only am I excited for the song, I'm also quite excited for the artwork for the single.

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Not only am I excited for the song, I'm also quite excited for the artwork for the single.
What do we know about the artwork so far?

PhoenixML
06-04-2013, 03:33 PM

Rob will do it.

somewhat_
06-04-2013, 03:34 PM

According to Rob on twitter, it is the polar opposite of the glitch art of Welcome Oblivion and it wasn't done by him.

joplinpicasso
06-04-2013, 03:42 PM
I wonder if we'll get to make a corny run-on sentence with all the track titles like that infection With Teeth meme.

Also, it's strange nowadays how we have the single title only days before its release and yet no mention of the album's name. Is this only me?

According to Rob on twitter, it is the polar opposite of the glitch art of Welcome Oblivion and it wasn't done by him.

I love Rob's art, truly, but I'm excited for this.

sheepdean
06-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Anyone taking bets on how long it will take jaypayton to say it sucks?

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 03:46 PM
any guesses who did it if it wasn't Rob?

pukkelpop
06-04-2013, 03:47 PM
a guy named Jack on the 11th floor of the Columbia building

BrokenSpiral
06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
a guy named Jack on the 11th floor of the Columbia building

It goes to 11?

sheepdean
06-04-2013, 03:49 PM
I'm guessing Mike Mitchell, solely because he and Rob seem to be friends and I would really love that :P

Highly Psychological
06-04-2013, 03:51 PM

One can dream.

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 03:52 PM
I'm guessing Mike Mitchell, solely because he and Rob seem to be friends and I would really love that :P
He also likes theoatmeal. Album cover art by theoatmeal might be the best way to piss off the maximum number of people.

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 03:54 PM
They were also recently in touch with Gary Talpas when Rob was doing the PHM remaster.

jessamineny
06-04-2013, 03:56 PM

Someone asked about what they were seeing in the photo of his "mission control" desk setup -- that was his response ("Q: nin artwork. More glitch?" A: "Polar opposite. Not done by me. No more hints!")

So he wasn't talking about all of the album art/videos/tour production (I especially don't think we should infer that everything's by someone else), though it could end up being the case.

somewhat_
06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Someone asked about what they were seeing in the photo of his "mission control" desk setup -- that was his response ("Q: nin artwork. More glitch?" A: "Polar opposite. Not done by me. No more hints!")

So he wasn't talking about all of the album art/videos/tour production (I especially don't think we should infer that everything's by someone else), though it could end up being the case.

Good point. I may have misinterpreted what he said.

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 04:00 PM
I was only joking about theoatmeal stuff but, funny enough, he was making NIN references less than 2 weeks ago: https://www.facebook.com/theoatmeal/posts/10152876757285078 (this video is the closest we will get to some meathead action).

gorast
06-04-2013, 04:19 PM
Wow, okay. Cool song title. It might sound like PHM? Count me in for that.

I'm just glad we're not getting yet another album full of glitch art (hopefully, anyway).

jmtd
06-04-2013, 04:38 PM
I'm expecting a 12 minute opus in three parts, one sans drums, one with a polymorphic rhythm, two instrumental.

carpenoctem
06-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Re: the title "not sounding like a NIN song" - remember the initial weirdness of seeing "Corona Radiata" and "The Four Of Us Are Dying" on the track list for The Slip? Anyway, I think it sounds really cool, and also a perfect title for a first single heralding the "comeback" of NIN so to speak.

tremolo
06-04-2013, 04:58 PM

Well, Trent has been very prolific since With Teeth, and after The Slip he has released a lot of stuff, as opposed to the time between TDS and The Fragile where we only got a couple songs.

But also, time is relative. Think o you as a 1 year old and the long wait from when you turned 1 to when you turned 2... that one year was literally A LIFETIME... Get the point?

To me, 5 years NOW are about 1/6 of my life (i'm 30). In 2000, when i was 18, 5 years were 5/18 of my life... that's somewhere between 1/3 and 1/4.

Anyway, i'm excited about the single! And looking forward to a release date for the album!

thefragile_jake
06-04-2013, 05:09 PM
I like the name! I'm actually surprised we got an announcement regarding the release of a single as opposed to Trent just releasing a new song on the whim. As far as the quote about the song goes, I wonder what in the hell she's talking about in regards to "first two albums". If this is a Downward Spiral reference somehow, hell...that album was very experimental for it's time. Not as soundscapey prog rock as Trent would later go on in the Fragile...but still. I swear if the beat is similar to "Only", "Discipline" and "Fur Lined"...I'm gonna laugh.

ryanmcfly
06-04-2013, 05:13 PM
I also think the new album will be out sooner than we think with a new single out this week. Late July or August sounds plausible.

MrSlfDstruct
06-04-2013, 05:21 PM
I'd think they'd release the album prior to the new round of shows starting. At least that would make sense.

Kid Charlemagne
06-04-2013, 05:22 PM
I also think the new album will be out sooner than we think with a new single out this week. Late July or August sounds plausible.

I would think that if he were putting it out himself, but them being signed to Columbia, I'd like to think Columbia would like to capitalize on the success of a single and play it up at least two months before it comes out.

Torgo
06-04-2013, 05:26 PM
I'm actually surprised we got an announcement regarding the release of a single as opposed to Trent just releasing a new song on the whim.

That's what you get when you work with a record label again. All the radio stations start puffing out their chests to get attention before the other radio stations, because they're given this information by the record company for marketing, obviously. I think it's a given that, with the involvement of so many people, it was probably expected that information would "leak" out.

On the plus side, it does serve as a major marketing push toward people who don't go to this website.

slave2thewage
06-04-2013, 05:30 PM
"The first two albums"

Oh good, it'll be a mix of Kinda I Want To and Physical.

sheepdean
06-04-2013, 05:35 PM
"The first two albums"

The first album was Purest Feeling WHAT IF THE NEW TRACK IS MAYBE JUST ONCE I CAME BACK HAUNTED

FernandoDante
06-04-2013, 05:37 PM
"The first two albums"

I asked around, and apparently it's the polar opposite of that.

slave2thewage
06-04-2013, 05:38 PM
the first album was purest feeling what if the new track is maybe just once i came back haunted
PUREST FEELING/RINGFINGER MASHUP. Perhaps with a wub-wub breakdown.

Way to piss on my dreams

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 05:39 PM
^^
Well, maybe there is a chance of that Sex Dwarf cover finally fucking happening!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrMZDbBZksY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT5KeuUCLt0

Jon
06-04-2013, 05:41 PM
I just want some saxophone AND tambourine...

Vertigo
06-04-2013, 05:49 PM

Cowbell solo!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsDLR7pK3bs

screwdriver
06-04-2013, 05:53 PM
The first album was Purest Feeling WHAT IF THE NEW TRACK IS MAYBE JUST ONCE I CAME BACK HAUNTED

this is fun

something I can never have came back haunted?
ringfinger came back haunted?

Scarlet Siren
06-04-2013, 06:01 PM
I just want some saxophone AND tambourine...

Definitely more tambourines! Haven't heard enough tambourines in past few releases..... I hope there's a tambourine solo of some sort and a reprise!

theimage13
06-04-2013, 06:10 PM
He also likes theoatmeal. Album cover art by theoatmeal might be the best way to piss off the maximum number of people.

Piss off?

Fuck, I don't even own a record player, but I'd buy the vinyl of that just to have a larger version of the album art.

Collin
06-04-2013, 06:40 PM
remember this tweet? (http://i48.tinypic.com/350ngxe.jpg)

Still don't know how reliable the source is, but it seems likely. It would be pretty awesome if the new single had the Quartet strings on it, too. Although from the short single description, it doesn't sound like the case. Either way, I think it would be cool if Trent went for a orchestral/electronic combo for the new record.

Oh yeah, and the single title is pretty cool too.

FernandoDante
06-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Little do you know that the whole "reinvention" thing means Reznor on drums and Ilan Rubin on vocals and cello.

(Had to get this one in before the "no relevant news" lock)

slave2thewage
06-04-2013, 07:03 PM
Just in case it isn't on the stream, any of the LA-based people here prepared to record this for us?

jessamineny
06-04-2013, 07:07 PM

Still don't know how reliable the source is, but it seems likely. It would be pretty awesome if the new single had the Quartet strings on it, too. Although from the short single description, it doesn't sound like the case. Either way, I think it would be cool if Trent went for a orchestral/electronic combo for the new record.

It's possible they still hooked up, but they have been on tour. There were a couple of windows when they were in California and had mini-tour-breaks, but they might have been already booked with their own stuff.

March 9-14 New Zealand
March 23 Long Beach
April 3-4 Netherlands
April 6 France
April 20-21 Stanford
April 27 New Hampshire
etc.

RJK
06-04-2013, 07:13 PM
Just in case it isn't on the stream, any of the LA-based people here prepared to record this for us?

From the article it doesn't seem to be Kroq exclusive. Maybe it is better to find a station that didn't fuck us over the last time they debuted a TR song?

xmp3x
06-04-2013, 07:14 PM

But yay, new NIN!

Yeah, I agree. It's also cool at the same time. It's right on the edge of "playfully silly" and "extra serious/dramatic", and I think that's a fun place for the single to be. It definitely seems to allow for the creative energy to harken back to earlier NIN.

I'm definitely thrilled about all of this! I hope this album is the serious body of work that we (and he?) have been waiting to be released, but new Nine Inch Nails is always a great thing. This is exciting.

cashpiles (closed)
06-04-2013, 08:19 PM
Came Back Haunted: the song title connotes graveyards, haunted houses or a return from a journey to a spiritual or emotionally intense place...

hippygeek
06-04-2013, 08:47 PM
Anyone taking bets on how long it will take jaypayton to say it sucks?

Pitchfork Review: 3/10

Ghostofme
06-04-2013, 08:52 PM
Came Back Haunted: the song title connotes graveyards, haunted houses or a return from a journey to a spiritual or emotionally intense place...

What if Trent's being less than honest again.. and the new NIN album is actually his soundtrack to Ghostbusters III? .. Columbia Records/Pictures.

Paul
06-04-2013, 08:56 PM
I'd like to think it's part 2 of the unreleased track My Dead Friend...

theruiner
06-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Pitchfork Review: 3/10
Pitchfork: "Somewhere between an oscillating ventriloquist looking for his soul and a vegetable farmer in a drought praying for even just a drop of rain, 'Came Back Haunted,' the new song from Trent Reznor's indecipherable smörgåsbord of unilaterally titillating cacophonous tomfoolery is at once brightly enigmatic and warm and painfully alone. Eliciting the marked truculent force of his 'Downward Spiral' days with the melancholy halcyon of 'Still,' Reznor destroys all misconceptions about what he's been up to these last four years as he screams the opening lines: 'I am woman, hear me roar!' Indeed, Trent. Indeed."

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 09:02 PM
It's a reference to the comeback tour. Trent will come on stage dressed as a bat. It will be a characture of the last 2 decades of the NIN community that he wants to break away from.

Paperthin567
06-04-2013, 09:15 PM
It's a reference to the comeback tour. Trent will come on stage dressed as a bat. It will be a characture of the last 2 decades of the NIN community that he wants to break away from.

Are you serious?

Wolfkiller
06-04-2013, 09:23 PM
What if Trent's being less than honest again.. and the new NIN album is actually his soundtrack to Ghostbusters III? .. Columbia Records/Pictures.

Surprised no one suggested the song being about coming back from war aka OMG YEAR ZERO PART TWO!!!!!1!!?!

DigitalChaos
06-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Are you serious?
I have a NIN penis cozy as an avatar.

Krazy
06-04-2013, 09:37 PM
I have a NIN penis cozy as an avatar.

Yup, it's definitely serious. o_O

jaypayton
06-04-2013, 09:58 PM
Go back to your cave.

don't be shocked if there's 12-15 songs on the new album and Belew played on 3 or 4 lol....for all the Belew lovers, when all is said and done, Belew's NIN legacy will rank somewhere in between Ron Musarra and Gary Talpas

Reznor2112
06-04-2013, 10:15 PM
Living in a vast land of dolphins, the monkey men crept in to sniff the crab cakes of heavens not yet seen. And on that day the dwarf man knew no wrong. He knew that there was wallop of wonderful and it was indeed good. He took that wallop to the main man of yesternothing. The main man was displeased with the dwarf and beat him. Finally he sent the dwarf back on his journey home. The dwarf's whores celebrated his return with a few Doritos Locos tacos. But something was wrong. Their little penis provider was different, changed. He came back haunted...

gorast
06-04-2013, 10:20 PM
This topic got absolutely hilarious real quick.

I wonder if it's going to have a fast tempo. Would that qualify as having a "dance-y beat"?

Paperthin567
06-04-2013, 10:26 PM
This topic got absolutely hilarious real quick.

I wonder if it's going to have a fast tempo. Would that qualify as having a "dance-y beat"?

Why does it matter? It was stated that the song does NOT have a "dance-y" beat.

R-Dot-Yung
06-04-2013, 10:48 PM
I'm giddy like I'm in high school or some shit. Very excited for Thursday, gah I love NIN.

Miss.Selfdestruct
06-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Love how there's only been the smallest announcement of a new song and there's already 4 pages on it XD

Oh yeah, and the single title is pretty cool too.
That would be siiick.

poinoup
06-04-2013, 11:07 PM
Add this to the list and 2013 is shaping up to be one of the best years in music. Thursday cannot come fast enough!

matt925
06-04-2013, 11:16 PM
Over 50% of song titles sound stupid without context.

This brings me right back to the pre with teeth days. So excited.

gorast
06-04-2013, 11:33 PM
Why does it matter? It was stated that the song does NOT have a "dance-y" beat.
Wait, I thought it said the exact opposite.

No, I was just remembering it wrong.

In any case, dial it back, dude, it's just the Internet. Don't establish yourself as a douche less than a month after joining a forum.

Paperthin567
06-04-2013, 11:58 PM
Wait, I thought it said the exact opposite.

No, I was just remembering it wrong.

In any case, dial it back, dude, it's just the Internet. Don't establish yourself as a douche less than a month after joining a forum.

:-).......

Wretchedest
06-05-2013, 12:21 AM
I miss that brief period of time where we only got the news straight from horses mouth. Or when I'd wake up and Ghosts was sold out before I even knew what it was. I still have funny feelings about the whole columbia thing... I'm really not a fan of major labels and all that comes with it.

also, in keeping with my feelings that Nine Inch Nails never really went away "Came Back Haunted" is kind of an ironic title.

fingers crossed, though! glad we get to hear it soon.

caca
06-05-2013, 12:28 AM
What's this thing here in my pants? Oh, it's just a raging anticipitory boner. Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

Jinsai
06-05-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm not sure what to make of the move back to major label/radio support. I'm not jumping up to call it something pointless like "selling out," but it makes me a bit sad that apparently the various independent experiments weren't really a success. It's kind of depressing that even someone as firmly established as Trent Reznor cannot find a way to make it work, and that it's basically an admission that the major labels and original institution still do serve a legitimate purpose, even to the people who it would seem need them the least. He's gone from self-distribution and no label with tracks "leaked" to The Pirate Bay to quietly returning to the major label approach to everything.

I don't hold it against him, but it's telling and more than just a little bit discouraging.

butter_hole
06-05-2013, 01:50 AM
He's gone from self-distribution and no label with tracks "leaked" to The Pirate Bay to quietly returning to the major label approach to everything.
Has he, though? He might have a whole lot of control at Columbia... even more then I guess he had at Interscope. Columbia might be a glorified distribution / promotion center for him, with no creative control. Isn't that exactly what we'd all want a major label to be? Maybe they think his stint as an independent artist was so successful they made the deal on his terms.

danebraddy
06-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Has he, though? He might have a whole lot of control at Columbia... even more then I guess he had at Interscope. Columbia might be a glorified distribution / promotion center for him, with no creative control. Isn't that exactly what we'd all want a major label to be? Maybe they think his stint as an independent artist was so successful they made the deal on his terms.

That's always how I took the news of NIN returning to a label. I do wish Trent was more forthcoming on the decision through as he trumpeted his departure from 'the system' in early '08.
I don't think he'd make a deal where he was having to argue over the quality of paper in a booklet again (like with Interscope).
I'd like to think the deal is that Columbia distribute and market and take a small cut and "don't make more money from Trent Reznor than Trent Reznor"

Jinsai
06-05-2013, 03:11 AM

I have no doubt that his contract with Columbia is a fantastic one. I'm certain he'll maintain unobstructed artistic control. He has the clout to secure that leverage... although I'm still perplexed why he's bothering with KROQ. They're about as relevant as MTV at this point.

What I'm a bit bummed out by is that the DIY gesture has more or less fizzled out as a result of the move back to the major label approach. The sentiment behind what he was doing before seemed to be a fairly impressive "fuck you" to the industry. Sure, you need existing clout to have that gesture register on any real level, but it still means something. I guess part of the hope of most music fans was that it would pan out to prove a legitimate success, establishing that label backing was unnecessary or even anachronistic for someone with that stature. I think a lot of people are genuinely concerned about the future of the music industry, and not just with regards to whether or not it will continue to be profitable for the artists. A lot has been hinging on the issue, and I'd be interested to hear him say why he chose to go back... and I guess I'd hope the answer wouldn't be "it's easier, they handle the advertising and other bullshit I don't want to deal with, and in the end I make more money."

Still, I expect that the answer is probably something like that (more or less). I'm not casting judgment, I get it, I think it's completely reasonable. I just think it's a little bit of a let down.

BenAkenobi
06-05-2013, 03:42 AM
New big label backing didn't win him a lot of point in my eyes because i still can't buy "Welcome Oblivion" in my town, only have to order from abroad, wait 3-5 weeks and hope it arrives in one piece. Same with new nin album, i have a bad feeling about international releases.

Scarlet Siren
06-05-2013, 04:34 AM
I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a new release/new material. Counting down the hours :)

Emil Dorbell
06-05-2013, 04:36 AM
and other bullshit I don't want to deal with.

You might be slightly underestimating what that other bullshit actually entails. Even if he probably didn't do a lot of things himself when Nine Inch Nails was an independent band, he'd still have to find and manage people to employ for the various tasks a tour / marketing/distributing an album requires. It was probably an enormous hassle that maybe even got in the way of the creative parts.

danzo_rezno
06-05-2013, 05:24 AM
Just checked, Bowie's The Next Day is on Columiba

SM Rollinger
06-05-2013, 05:56 AM
I can't remember the last time I was this excited for a new release/new material. Counting down the hours :)
Im not feeling that so much for this one, but reading this made me feel nostalgic. I remmeber when The Day the World Went Away single came out, how excited I was. I even skipped school with some friends to go get it at Best Buy (did the same thing for the Fragile)

Canuckle
06-05-2013, 06:51 AM
Shame on Trent for not wanting to deal with all the logistics and headaches that comes with releasing a Nine Inch Nails full length album while trying to tour with another band, rehearse for a year long NIN tour and handle two very young kids...

Very pumped for Thursday.

botley
06-05-2013, 07:32 AM
^ This.

Even if he probably didn't do a lot of things himself when Nine Inch Nails was an independent band, he'd still have to find and manage people to employ for the various tasks a tour / marketing/distributing an album requires. It was probably an enormous hassle that maybe even got in the way of the creative parts.
And this. I mean, the experiments with end-runs around the traditional industry model were successful, to various degrees... but in the end, a band the size of NIN is a corporation, like it or not. I don't think it's particularly satisfying to keep all of the machinery supporting that kind of juggernaut turning all by yourself. You can either subcontract some of the labour out to other corporations (Columbia in this case, which has people that TR trusts on its staff) or spend far too much time that could be spent creating music supervising the execution of promotion, distribution, merchandising, touring, financial logistics, etc.

WorzelG
06-05-2013, 07:37 AM
^^^^
not to mention we do know that he reads these forums and must check in to nin.com and it must be disheartening to listen to all the moaning about cd mailing logistics and 'oh my vinyl was slightly scuffed' etc and feel personally responsible - now all that can be hived off to the record label

Reznor2112
06-05-2013, 08:28 AM
Dumb question: You can listen to KROQ live online right?

pukkelpop
06-05-2013, 08:32 AM
yes. the whole world can.

Jon
06-05-2013, 08:33 AM

*sigh* I guess... I don't know why we can't have any secrets anymore... (http://kroq.cbslocal.com/tag/live-stream/) ;)

Louie_Cypher
06-05-2013, 08:37 AM
Go back to your cave.
I see what you did there. Hopefully not O/T but strange facebook post from "that old geezer"
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adrian-Belew/6696764994?hc_location=stream

[Shep]
06-05-2013, 08:41 AM
I don't get what the big deal is.
We're getting new Nine Inch Nails music.

Yeah it must've been interesting for Trent to experiment and play around with different methods of distribution and promotion. But for the end user the result is the same.

I don't blame Trent in the slightest for choosing not to carry on doing it all himself (though I don't doubt he'll still have alot of say about what happens under the new contract)

theimage13
06-05-2013, 09:00 AM

Be warned: last time this happened, the single wasn't actually played on the stream - it was only played on the air. Apparently the DJ was very confused about this and had no idea that it would play out that way, so hopefully it was some stupid thing that has since been fixed. But while I certainly wouldn't say don't listen to the stream, I would caution that it's not a 100% guarantee that you'll hear the song.

dpeters
06-05-2013, 09:27 AM
Huh... there must be rain out and about--cause there's something dripping.

That said, all the logistics would interfere with his personal life, making music, scoring films, and collaborating with others. He's kept very busy. Hopefully, a new direction for the music is in store. The Ghosts/Score Work sounds a little too similar.

Satyr
06-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Came Back Haunted definitely seems like it could be about a soldier that came back from a war haunted by the things they've seen/done.

Seems like it could fit in with Year Zero Part 2?

Blackbookpress1984
06-05-2013, 09:47 AM
so, I'm fairly sure this has probably bee answered already but can I hear the song now? and if now, where do I go tomorrow to listen? thanks!

Leviathant
06-05-2013, 09:53 AM
so, I'm fairly sure this has probably bee answered already but can I hear the song now? and if now, where do I go tomorrow to listen? thanks!

Song's not available yet, but you'll have no trouble finding it tomorrow.

Senateguard33
06-05-2013, 09:56 AM
Still, I expect that the answer is probably something like that (more or less). I'm not casting judgment, I get it, I think it's completely reasonable. I just think it's a little bit of a let down.

It's probably more like "I don't have time to run EVERYTHING, when I have a family to take care of" It's hard enough to spend time with your family working 40 hours a week. If you think he would have tons of free time writing/recording/managing/booking/promoting/publishing, you're mistaken. He got a way from the major labels before he had a family. Now he want to focus on that. He may be a rock star, but that doesn't mean he isn't human.

ManOfAtom
06-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Pretty sure this will be on iTunes fairly shortly after it's premiered...

d-signet
06-05-2013, 10:27 AM
Pretty sure this will be on iTunes fairly shortly after it's premiered...

hope it's not an iTunes-only job - i've managed to go 30-odd years without giving Apple a single penny and have NO desire to break that habbit.

ambergris
06-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Came back haunted? Maybe this is about the woman that has been haunting him on all his latest records and who moans like a bored ghost all the time.

JessicaSarahS
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Is it Thursday yet? ;)

hobochic
06-05-2013, 10:39 AM
hope it's not an iTunes-only job - i've managed to go 30-odd years without giving Apple a single penny and have NO desire to break that habbit.

Call me crazy but I'm sure "the internet" will supply a number of ways for you to hear it.

Paperthin567
06-05-2013, 10:49 AM
Came back haunted? Maybe this is about the woman that has been haunting him on all his latest records and who moans like a bored ghost all the time.

I love your interpretation. :-).

Jon
06-05-2013, 10:51 AM
With the Columbia thing happening, I'm hoping for physical singles (not just promos, either).

EDIT: I haven't done "auction collecting" since 2002 2005... geez.

LexTron6K
06-05-2013, 11:01 AM
I'm not sure what to make of the move back to major label/radio support. I'm not jumping up to call it something pointless like "selling out," but it makes me a bit sad that apparently the various independent experiments weren't really a success. It's kind of depressing that even someone as firmly established as Trent Reznor cannot find a way to make it work, and that it's basically an admission that the major labels and original institution still do serve a legitimate purpose, even to the people who it would seem need them the least. He's gone from self-distribution and no label with tracks "leaked" to The Pirate Bay to quietly returning to the major label approach to everything.

I don't hold it against him, but it's telling and more than just a little bit discouraging.

It's my understanding that Trent just realized that he's got better shit to do (make more music, develop the live show, raise children, etc) than focus on the business and distribution side of his craft.

preaves
06-05-2013, 11:02 AM
Call me crazy but I'm sure "the internet" will supply a number of ways for you to hear it.

So to avoid giving Apple a few pennies, we steal from the artist that this entire 5-page thread is about. Good call, guys.

BRoswell
06-05-2013, 11:23 AM

Maybe it's about people like you, who keep popping up and making comments like this, like a ghost that won't "go towards the light".

d-signet
06-05-2013, 11:30 AM
So to avoid giving Apple a few pennies, we steal from the artist that this entire 5-page thread is about. Good call, guys.

Apple usually take approximately 30% of anything sold through iTunes. This (obviously) leaves approx 70% to go to the label who then deduct 'costs' and send a percentage share whatever's left to the artist. That's a percentage of whatever's-left-after-costs of their 70% of the retail price.

I'm willing to buy the single and album through ALMOST any channel, and I've got tickets to see them on the tour where i'll happily buy merch.

I won't lose any sleep tonight through a bad concience - especially as this is all hypothetical.

kevinbeetle
06-05-2013, 11:31 AM

I dont own any Apple products either, so it would be better for me if Columbia or Trent offers it for a buck and you would get an instand download from their camps at midnight or 2:30 EST tomorrow. Then everyone is happy, except Apple.

hobochic
06-05-2013, 11:34 AM

Who said anything about stealing? Now you're just projecting your own illegal ways. Good call, guy.

ManOfAtom
06-05-2013, 11:36 AM
I dont own any Apple products either, so it would be better for me if Columbia or Trent offers it for a buck and you would get an instand download from their camps at midnight or 2:30 EST tomorrow. Then everyone is happy, except Apple.

might well happen. i've just got reason to believe that itunes will have it. no reason not to think other places won't.
there'll probably be something on youtube as well.

Krazy
06-05-2013, 11:43 AM
Looks like its not a KROQ exclusive, here's a Tweet from local Milwaukee station (central time):

@FM1021: Tomorrow 1:30pm -- @FM1021 @IsMichelleOK be debuting a brand new @nineinchnails track -- #CameBackHaunted #NIN

Jinsai
06-05-2013, 01:32 PM
Shame on Trent for not wanting to deal with all the logistics and headaches that comes with releasing a Nine Inch Nails full length album while trying to tour with another band, rehearse for a year long NIN tour and handle two very young kids...

I'm not sure if I could be any more clear. I'm NOT saying "shame on him." I prefaced what I was saying by clarifying that I wasn't calling him a "sell out" or implying anything of the kind. I'm also definitely not underestimating what the logistic bullshit entails. That's why I said "I get it, I understand it." Also, pointing out that Bowie (or any other great artist) is on Columbia is completely irrelevant.

I also get the "he's got better things to do, and with a family he has less time" point. That's ALSO understandable. Hell, I'd understand that argument if he offered it as a reason why he was giving up on touring altogether. But referring to taking a game-changing stance against the traditional industry model as something "unimportant" or comparably insignificant is a disservice. The point he was making was a big deal to a lot of people, even to people who don't care that much for his music. It was more than a cute experiment.

Scramasax
06-05-2013, 01:35 PM
Can't wait to hear this, hope the digital version appears on the official NIN site as well. Looking forward to hearing it in Belfast come August.

minusthesnake
06-05-2013, 02:01 PM

This is likely exactly case, and I say this as someone who has worked at a bunch of the major labels. The recent Daft Punk album also came out on Columbia and they're not "signed" to the label in the traditional sense, they simply licensed their music to the label. In return the label co-finances everything: tour, merch, album, etc, but they also a percentage on all money made, not just album sales. Trent clearly had confidence to go with Columbia with both of his bands, probably due to the positive experience he had releasing The Social Network soundtrack with them a few years ago. I'm sure his contract with them is very much in his favor. At this point in his career, the label just wants to capitalize on NIN's popularity, I doubt they're interested in exerting any sort of creative control and will let Trent do whatever he wants, as long as they're financially compensated for it (i.e. if he wants to use more expensive paper than his contract allows, he either covers the cost himself or they raise the SRP of the product to cover it).

Also, holy shit! Have I really not posted on ETS once since it relauched? It's been far too long, folks.

ryanmcfly
06-05-2013, 02:14 PM
23 hours and seventeen fucking minutes. The crappy thing is that my lunch break is scheduled 12:30 to 1:30, so I'll be going back in right when the song gets aired.

cynicmuse
06-05-2013, 03:02 PM
KROQ has come through in the past with NIN songs online (they played Discipline and Year Zero stuff on both the radio and the stream). I dug out my 10 year old PCI radio card, but I'd need a better antenna to get a signal that doesn't sound like you're listening to KROQ underwater. I'll be optimistic and assume that KROQ will play it on both.

Canuckle
06-05-2013, 03:18 PM
The point he was making was a big deal to a lot of people, even to people who don't care that much for his music. It was more than a cute experiment.

There was a reason I didn't quote you, and it was because I understood that you weren't trying to be shallow with your comments. My comment was NOT a shot at yours, but moreso the stream of thought that it was leading towards. In other words, a 'pre-emptive strike' against some of the people who feel that the only legitimate artistic way to distribute is through independent methods.... while completely ignoring that almost every medium of entertainment (the good, bad and the ugly) is distributed primarily through major publishers/distributors (e.g., books, movies, video games).

To your point above, do we know how the music industry has changed in 5 years in terms of major record label deals? Do we know what is in TRs contract with Columbia? Maybe his experiment worked, and him and other artists are coming to the negotiating table with more power and freedom?

I found it a bit odd to see Atoms for Peace on XL after Radiohead's big push to go 'indie' as well... until I realized that it's f-ing hard to release an album to millions of fans by yourself.

But I digress and hope that the new song will push this blather far away.

ryanmcfly
06-05-2013, 03:28 PM
KDGE in Dallas is playing the song tomorrow also apparently.

jessamineny
06-05-2013, 03:37 PM
Dear Columbia Records PR people: Drop by and give the fans a list. :rolleyes:

Jinsai
06-05-2013, 03:46 PM
To your point above, do we know how the music industry has changed in 5 years in terms of major record label deals? Do we know what is in TRs contract with Columbia? Maybe his experiment worked, and him and other artists are coming to the negotiating table with more power and freedom?

That's partially why I'd be interested to hear him weigh in on it. I'd like to hear an assessment of what worked and what didn't. Sure, without a label he was able to organize and (mostly) sell out an arena rock tour.

The experiment isn't proven a success by Reznor (or any other huge artist with no label) making a major record label his/her bitch. That's what every legacy artist outside of a contract commands, and that's nothing new. That's WHY it was a bold move to go without a label when in that position.

I found it a bit odd to see Atoms for Peace on XL after Radiohead's big push to go 'indie' as well... until I realized that it's f-ing hard to release an album to millions of fans by yourself.

Not to split hairs here, but XL is technically an indie label, and by comparison to Columbia (and KROQ by extension) that's punk as fuck. Honestly, it's the KROQ aspect that pushed it over the top for me. I was a little miffed at the Columbia thing, but ok, I get it, so much for the DIY gesture. But debuting your new single on conventional radio, and not just any radio station, but fucking KROQ? That's a complete 180 from the sentiment he was seemingly pushing for before, and it's a large part of why I wonder if he just wasn't hitting anywhere near the numbers he was hoping to reach before. And to reiterate the initial point, I think that's a little sad and unfortunate.

On that note, I don't entirely understand why people are so eager to tune in to KROQ to hear the new song. It'll be ripped to the net within minutes of the broadcast.

homphgomph
06-05-2013, 03:51 PM
Too excited about this. Happy to see that it'll be on several different stations too, I don't think 87.7 here in Chicago would make room amid all the Grouplove/Imagine Dragons songs for a new NIN single.

hippygeek
06-05-2013, 03:53 PM
23 hours and seventeen fucking minutes. The crappy thing is that my lunch break is scheduled 12:30 to 1:30, so I'll be going back in right when the song gets aired.

"Arghh. My gut. I think I have food poisoning. I need to go to the restroom NOW."

thelastdisciple
06-05-2013, 03:56 PM
On that note, I don't entirely understand why people are so eager to tune in to KROQ to hear the new song. It'll be ripped to the net within minutes of the broadcast.
Cauuuussssee......... i dunno it's like a red carpet premiere of the song... sort of... for a few minutes....but not really.

Apparently KROQ don't have exclusivity though, my local radio station said they'd be playing it at pretty much the same time i think... so eh.... just depends how antsy you are to hear it i guess if you can't wait another few minutes for it to pop up in places to stream or buy or whatever....

Krazy
06-05-2013, 03:58 PM
"Arghh. My gut. I think I have food poisoning. I need to go to the restroom NOW."

Haha!! Everyone stay away from the gas station sushi for lunch tomorrow.

skullboy0
06-05-2013, 04:06 PM
I was looking for an article David Byrne wrote about the different options artists have as far as distributing their work in the modern era, found this link about an interview he did (last year?) that also included Trent:

http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/10/trent-reznor-david-byrne-on-diy-vs-major-labels.html

& I believe this is the article I was looking for:

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/magazine/16-01/ff_byrne?currentPage=all

andre78
06-05-2013, 04:24 PM
Awww, come on, I've been away from ETS for like, two weeks and all of a sudden there's a new NIN song debuting tomorrow? What's happpening with the world, this is too good to be true!

Although... this "Came Back Haunted" title sounds like something off some Type O Negative album.;)

Scarlet Siren
06-05-2013, 04:31 PM
I wonder when the song will get airplay in the UK? Any info yet?

ryanmcfly
06-05-2013, 04:51 PM
Not sure what this is/means.
http://nineinchnails.tumblr.com/post/52247958645

joplinpicasso
06-05-2013, 05:05 PM

I want to say that I do. But it's rectangular so it's not album/single art...or is it? Looks beautiful.

ryanmcfly
06-05-2013, 05:07 PM
I'm sure we'll know more about it... soon.

Leo_OAK
06-05-2013, 05:10 PM
It must mean something. Bring those geniuses that cracked the YZ codes in the golden days of 2007. I'm going bananas already. I want this song.

W.O.R.M
06-05-2013, 05:14 PM

Oh no, Rob and Trent are playing with the printer again having bleedthough flashbacks.....

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 05:20 PM
It's probably more like "I don't have time to run EVERYTHING, when I have a family to take care of" It's hard enough to spend time with your family working 40 hours a week. If you think he would have tons of free time writing/recording/managing/booking/promoting/publishing, you're mistaken. He got a way from the major labels before he had a family. Now he want to focus on that. He may be a rock star, but that doesn't mean he isn't human.
This. Would you rather play customer service for people who still use IE5 or hang out with family? He has a wife now. He has two kids now. Priorities are different.

Also, we probably wouldn't have seen much HTDA if Reznor was trying to run everything himself. If we did, new NIN would be another year out.

He already showed the record industry that he doesn't need them. That has given him a ton of power. I'm sure he has a ton of power in this relationship now. In many ways, this is BETTER than going indie.

Broadbent
06-05-2013, 05:22 PM
How can there be 6 pages of bitching about a song we haven't heard yet?

Torgo
06-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Are you new here?

marodi
06-05-2013, 05:24 PM

Because it's what NIN fans do?

WorzelG
06-05-2013, 05:27 PM
I was looking for an article David Byrne wrote about the different options artists have as far as distributing their work in the modern era, found this link about an interview he did (last year?) that also included Trent:
http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2012/10/trent-reznor-david-byrne-on-diy-vs-major-labels.html

some of the comments in that article were ridiculous - why doesn't he just go with local digital marketing companies for everywhere he's touring?? What so he has to sign 20 or whatever deals for all the countries NIN plays in? Yeah- piece of cake, no hassle there

gorast
06-05-2013, 05:27 PM
If that's indicative of the art direction of the new album, then I'm already in love with it.

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 05:31 PM
Too bad Rob's image isn't higher res. It looks very similar to the thumbnails here:
http://dc.moose.cc/temp/skitched-20130605-153046.jpg

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/Twitter-20130605-153956.jpg

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 05:33 PM
Oh no, Rob and Trent are playing with the printer again having bleedthough flashbacks.....
looks very similar. That definitely looks like the heel of someone's palm pressed into some sort of powder or paint.

LexTron6K
06-05-2013, 05:35 PM

Wow. Boners up fellas.

d-signet
06-05-2013, 05:38 PM

looks a little like a burned-out solar panel with a dead bug on it?

what's Russell Mills been up to lately? lol

hagcel
06-05-2013, 05:41 PM
according to the exif data the image was shot Mar 24 2012. It was exported today at 12:56:18 PM.

it almost looks like there is something in there but I'm thinking not since it was shot so long ago...

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/189/screenshot20130605at538.png

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 05:45 PM
according to the exif data the image was shot Mar 24 2012. It was exported today at 12:56:18 PM.

it almost looks like there is something in there but I'm thinking not since it was shot so long ago...

https://imageshack.us/scaled/large/189/screenshot20130605at538.png

It's mini trent in a v-neck

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/a-20130605-154834.jpg

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/a-20130605-154921.jpg

http://dc.moose.cc/temp/a-1-20130605-155143.jpg

Torgo
06-05-2013, 05:49 PM
It looks like it could be similar writing to arabic. Could someone translate? Or maybe morse code?

hobochic
06-05-2013, 05:49 PM
Those are clearly butt cheeks. It looks like the sonic equivalent of a shart.

d-signet
06-05-2013, 05:55 PM
guys, please, too early to consider that there might be messages there

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apophenia

Ghostofme
06-05-2013, 05:56 PM
Tree rings with some kind of grid overlay?

Jinsai
06-05-2013, 05:58 PM
Although... this "Came Back Haunted" title sounds like something off some Type O Negative album.;)

I don't know... I think it's a great song title

jessamineny
06-05-2013, 05:58 PM
I swear it looks like a closeup of eyeshadow and eyeliner on a makeup palette.

GibbonBlack
06-05-2013, 06:01 PM
It clearly says "speak friend and enter"

Ivan
More art from the NIN Instagram.

http://instagram.com/p/aMc7JWDquC/

Vertigo

It looks like a crystal cross-section to me. Look at the rings near the top. Not sure what's going on with the bars though, I wonder if they're superimposed.

Anyway, I'm glad we're getting some form of physical art, as opposed to a focus on manipulated photography. I'd love another piece of sculpture work (TDS era covers); I don't think that's what this is, but it'd be great.

:edit: Ninja'd... loving the pair on the top row.

Collin
06-05-2013, 06:06 PM

nice. I really hope that the upcoming artwork continues in this earthy style, reminds me a bit of Downward Spiral's art direction. it would be a nice change of pace from the glitchy digital look of recent albums.

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 06:06 PM

I keep seeing inappropriate body parts...

d-signet
06-05-2013, 06:08 PM
the instagram stuff....RM 2013 ? I was joking earlier but... Russel Mills?

DigitalChaos
PRETTY sure these are glass slides (think microscope slide covers) dropped ontop of paper with paint-like substances in between.

howdidislipinto
That has to mean Russell Mills, 2013 on the Instagram caption, yes? YES?

slave2thewage
"(rm, 2013)"

Holy crap, could it be Russell Mills?

joplinpicasso
06-05-2013, 06:13 PM

Uh, guys? "(rm, 2013)"

http://i44.tinypic.com/30c6slx.jpg

(edit: ^^ Yes. Excited.)

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Again, same colors and general outlines as Rob's picture here:
http://dc.moose.cc/temp/Twitter-20130605-153956.jpg

heavenly_bearded
06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Just received a flash drive from a friend at 93x. Local mn rock station. Just popped it in. About to press play...

johnbron
06-05-2013, 06:22 PM
It looks like it could be similar writing to arabic. Could someone translate? Or maybe morse code?

Pretty sure it's elvish. I'll check my LOTR books when I get home for translation.

jesus
06-05-2013, 06:24 PM
:D Overhyped to buy another halo

d-signet
06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Just received a flash drive from a friend at 93x. Local mn rock station. Just popped it in. About to press play...

That's nice but we're trying to have a conversation here.

Wait, what?

slave2thewage
06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Frankly:

​LEAK OR GTFO

hippygeek
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM

I... don't even... Just give us a NINcentric review mmm, K?

jesus
06-05-2013, 06:27 PM
that images remember me what Trent said "it's in gestation period"

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 06:28 PM
I better have a PM in about 30 seconds with a link.... !!!!!!!

Harry Seaward
06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Why would this guy rat out his friend and the exact radio station if he legit had it... Come on now guys.

reseen_lamenti
06-05-2013, 06:29 PM
*hyperventilates*

d-signet
06-05-2013, 06:30 PM
*hypermasturbates*

what?

Ryan
06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
PM me too please. :)

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Why would this guy rat out his friend and the exact radio station if he legit had it... Come on now guys.
WHY WOULD YOU SAY THESE THINGS!?
You are worse than me :(

pukkelpop
06-05-2013, 06:32 PM
hyperchaos

heavenly_bearded

Lol that's ok, got nothing to prove to you. Jealousy is a natural human emoition. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

littlemonkey613
PM MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE O_O

Just a crazed... DYING... nin fool over here.

ltrandazzo
Well, looks like page 8 is going to turn into the PM page.

OR NOT. PM the guy directly and he'll probably send it to you if he actually has it. Keep the conversation moving in the mean time.

HurtinMinorKey
06-05-2013, 06:33 PM
That grid overlay looks like it could almost be a map.
Russel Mills did work for TDS, no?

Torgo
06-05-2013, 06:34 PM
Well, looks like page 8 is going to turn into the PM page.

OR NOT. PM the guy directly and he'll probably send it to you if he actually has it. Keep the conversation moving in the mean time.

Well, it seems like that plan has worked because this guys' inbox is full. Haaaaaa...

PM me, maybe?

slave2thewage
I have a suspicion that this is the theme song for page 8:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY

pukkelpop
Lol that's ok, got nothing to prove to you. Jealousy is a natural human emoition. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

your message is box is full.

spiralhate
06-05-2013, 06:35 PM

How about a quick review, if you've heard it?

heavenly_bearded
06-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Frankly:

​LEAK OR GTFO

Everyone who is a cool nin collector in my email list will receive an email shortly. But to tell me to get the fuck out of my own house... you wait til tomorrow like all of the other lessers

GibbonBlack
06-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Everyone who is a cool nin collector in my email list will receive an email shortly. But to tell me to get the fuck out of my own house... you wait til tomorrow like all of the other lessers

I'm pretty cool ya know.....

littlemonkey613
06-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Are you.... an angel?

GavinCollins420
06-05-2013, 06:38 PM

I am trying to believe.

HurtinMinorKey
06-05-2013, 06:38 PM
Do desperate refugess from other NIN sites make in on to your list?

pukkelpop
06-05-2013, 06:39 PM

i pick things up, i am a collector..

slave2thewage
06-05-2013, 06:39 PM
cool nin collector
Does not compute.

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 06:40 PM
this thread is incontinence defined

HurtinMinorKey
06-05-2013, 06:41 PM
I believe the man, why he would make this up?

hobochic
06-05-2013, 06:42 PM
http://www.marketingmelodie.com/wp-content/uploads/Orange-Gullible1.jpg

pukkelpop
i believed him first.

Torgo
Will you at least give us another lyric from the song? Just as a teaser?

DigitalChaos
06-05-2013, 06:43 PM
The whole track is watermarked. He can't distribute it without getting his friend in trouble. On the bright side, the drive actually has the full album on it.

arsenic
06-05-2013, 06:48 PM
Let's all listen to Rick Astley, shall we? I'm sure some troll will eventually post it anyway.
You've got to be prepared those days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

heavenly_bearded
06-05-2013, 06:49 PM

Just "the". That's all you get. I am happy my pm box is full. Please people, the song will air in less than 24 hours.

I really don't care if you believe me or don't. Anyone who knows me here knows what's up. Its not like it is a special flash drive direct from the band or some shit. Its a beat to shit crappy flash drive. Had there been a promo cd or any press release, I would have that instead.

I did not realize that my post would have caused such a ruccus. I should have just kept my mouth shut. Please get back on topic.

HurtinMinorKey
I bet if he did an analog recording of it, even through the computer mic, he would scrub the watermark.

theruiner
Will you at least give us another lyric from the song? Just as a teaser?"Came back haunted"

ImTheWiseJanitor
06-05-2013, 06:50 PM

Oh NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

If this is legit, then just a heads up - You know this is the internet, right? Sharing with one person here means it'll be shared with just about everyone. So...You're really not keeping anyone from anything. Just stroking your internet dick.

Fadeout54321
06-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey HB. I don't think you have my email address. Shot me a PM?:D

Wolfkiller
06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Hooooook a brotha uuuuup!

DigitalChaos
Just "the". That's all you get. I am happy my pm box is full. Please people, the song will air in less than 24 hours.

I really don't care if you believe me or don't. Anyone who knows me here knows what's up. Its not like it is a special flash drive direct from the band or some shit. Its a beat to shit crappy flash drive. Had there been a promo cd or any press release, I would have that instead.

I did not realize that my post would have caused such a ruccus. I should have just kept my mouth shut. Please get back on topic.
my google alerts are blowing up
http://dc.moose.cc/temp/cnh-20130605-165043.jpg

ninlive

Really? This is NIN fans you're talking about.........

Leo_OAK
06-05-2013, 06:52 PM
I was the first one to like your original post. PMing me would be... you know, really fucking great.

theSplinter04
06-05-2013, 06:53 PM
a million miles away

butter_hole
06-05-2013, 06:55 PM
I bet if he did an analog recording of it, even through the computer mic, he would scrub the watermark.
actually no this isn't a thing