PDA

View Full Version : Not NIN-Spotting...

Pages : 1 [2]

sheepdean
02-08-2015, 03:51 AM
During that time he was on heavy drugs, you know...
...says who? Trent was sober from, what, 2002?

witte
02-08-2015, 03:54 AM
right......

WorzelG
02-08-2015, 05:55 AM
Reznor was seen "rocking out" to several Limp Bizkit songs, on the side of the stage, at some festival in 2009.
I think I was at that show, Sonisphere festival UK, 2009. Limp Bizkit were on just before NIN and just the intro was so annoying we were repelled to the beer tent!

gorast
02-08-2015, 11:13 PM
Not sure if this counts, but JMJ was playing bass for Beck during his Grammys performance.

Vic
02-09-2015, 03:05 AM
re:limp bizkit, i can only think of one instance of trent mentioning LB in an interview (when he was asked about NIN lyrics being used in Hot Dog) and his response was miles away from calling anyone retard and asshole (not a positive response either but that's beside the point)
Trent used to be really harsh when he talked about Limp Bizkit in 99/00, that's why Durst wrote the lyrics for "Hot Dog" using parts of NIN's lyrics, and then Trent said in an interview that Durst was so stupid that he wrote a song against him using his lyrics without realizing that he would have to ask for his approval to legally use them, but that he gave Durst his permission to use them because he didn't want to fuck up their album, that's why Trent is credited as a co-writer of the song. XD

Durst was so pissed that he also asked to the audience in a LB's show if they thought that Trent Reznor should suck his dick. Some time later him and Borland were asked about this "feud" and they said that they actually were huge NIN's fans and that they were hurt by Trent's and Manson's (he also used to talk shit about them back in those days) words against them (example in this next video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckfuNG-aBr8

I guess that with time Lohnner became a friend of Borland since they worked together in The Damning Well and Black Light Burns, so when NIN auditioned for guitarists he was probably offered to join the band but he ultimately prefered to continue with BLB (and to return to LB some time later), the same way Lohnner decided to continue with his own projects. Josh Freese was also the drummer for TDW and BLB since he knew Danny from APC (I guess), they also used Josh Eustis for BLB and Rich Patrick was the singer for TDW, many of them have collaborated and/or played for NIN in different periods of time, and all of them seem to know each others and I guess this connection and the fact that Trent got older and sober made him to finally accept Limp Bizkit as a "friend" band that didn't need his attacks anymore.

Also when Durst was Interscope's vicepresident (or something like that) he said very nice words about "With Teeth" upon its release saying that Trent waa a genius and that he had made it again or something along those lines, I guess that Trent was grateful for his words since he admitted that he didn't know if the album would be a commercial disaster after NIN being so many years out of the radar, he thought that he had killed his own career and he didn't know if he still had an audience, I guess that he was thankful for every kind of support, including Durst's, who still had a massive number of fans back then that could check out WT if Durst recommended them to do it.

Iirc, NIN and LB shared a couple of festivals in 2009, and I believe that the one where Trent was spotted attending to LB's show was the korean festival and not Sonisphere, but I'm not really sure. I also believe that Durst mentioned that LB and NIN partied during the festival.

billpulsipher
02-09-2015, 12:18 PM
Trent used to be really harsh when he talked about Limp Bizkit in 99/00, that's why Durst wrote the lyrics for "Hot Dog" using parts of NIN's lyrics, and then Trent said in an interview that Durst was so stupid that he wrote a song against him using his lyrics without realizing that he would have to ask for his approval to legally use them, but that he gave Durst his permission to use them because he didn't want to fuck up their album, that's why Trent is credited as a co-writer of the song. XD

Durst was so pissed that he also asked to the audience in a LB's show if they thought that Trent Reznor should suck his dick. Some time later him and Borland were asked about this "feud" and they said that they actually were huge NIN's fans and that they were hurt by Trent's and Manson's (he also used to talk shit about them back in those days) words against them (example in this next video):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckfuNG-aBr8

I guess that with time Lohnner became a friend of Borland since they worked together in The Damning Well and Black Light Burns, so when NIN auditioned for guitarists he was probably offered to join the band but he ultimately prefered to continue with BLB (and to return to LB some time later), the same way Lohnner decided to continue with his own projects. Josh Freese was also the drummer for TDW and BLB since he knew Danny from APC (I guess), they also used Josh Eustis for BLB and Rich Patrick was the singer for TDW, many of them have collaborated and/or played for NIN in different periods of time, and all of them seem to know each others and I guess this connection and the fact that Trent got older and sober made him to finally accept Limp Bizkit as a "friend" band that didn't need his attacks anymore.

Also when Durst was Interscope's vicepresident (or something like that) he said very nice words about "With Teeth" upon its release saying that Trent waa a genius and that he had made it again or something along those lines, I guess that Trent was grateful for his words since he admitted that he didn't know if the album would be a commercial disaster after NIN being so many years out of the radar, he thought that he had killed his own career and he didn't know if he still had an audience, I guess that he was thankful for every kind of support, including Durst's, who still had a massive number of fans back then that could check out WT if Durst recommended them to do it.

Iirc, NIN and LB shared a couple of festivals in 2009, and I believe that the one where Trent was spotted attending to LB's show was the korean festival and not Sonisphere, but I'm not really sure. I also believe that Durst mentioned that LB and NIN partied during the festival.

massive number of fans in 2005? LBs 2003 album was an absolute catastrophe and the entire nu metal scene was dead. By 05 he was already regarded as a washed up has been..........there is still not a 1 percent chance TR was standing on the side of the stage "rocking out" to LB in 2009. Cuz I can totally see TR rocking out to "Nookie"........If he was standing on the stage, he was probably waiting for them to get the fuck off

Vic
02-09-2015, 02:53 PM
massive number of fans in 2005? LBs 2003 album was an absolute catastrophe and the entire nu metal scene was dead. By 05 he was already regarded as a washed up has been..........there is still not a 1 percent chance TR was standing on the side of the stage "rocking out" to LB in 2009. Cuz I can totally see TR rocking out to "Nookie"........If he was standing on the stage, he was probably waiting for them to get the fuck off
Yes, "Results May Vary" was not as successful as their previous albums (still sold +4 million copies worldwide if Wikipedia is correct, and the "Behind Blue Eyes" cover was a hit, though not as big as "Nookie", "Break Stuff", "Take A Look Around", etc), and "The Unquestionable Truth" was a commercial failure (it was just an EP though), but Durst still had millions of followers at that moment, the previous albums had been massive successes that sold tons of copies all around the world.

I'm not saying that nu-metal was still successful in 2005, but LB was probably the biggest one, they were even bigger than Korn, this is like if you told me that the 80s rock bands were dead around 95 because of grunge's and alternative rock's success, but Axl Rose was still popular then and if he asked his fanbase to check out a new album, that would always be helpful for the band that released it.

Even these days, when LB's popularity is at its lowest point and nu-metal has been dead for over a decade, Fred Durst still has like 1.5 million followers in Twitter. I'm not saying that Durst helped to boost WT's sales, but Trent certainly knew Borland back then and he probably saw Durst's message recommending his album to everybody and thought that it was a nice gesture after all the shit that he had talked about LB and Durst. Then they meet in a couple of festivals and they are just cool with each other.

If I remember well, Trent was seen checking out LB's show, that doesn't necessarily mean that he was "rocking out" like a fanboy, I doubt that he suddenly became the biggest LB's fan, he probably just decided not to be so critical about them and accept them for what they are, they are not The Beatles and Durst is not Bowie (even if he said in 99 that he wanted to be bigger than Elvis and also wanted that LB were bigger than Zeppelin, this was when "Significant Other" ranked at #1 in the Billboard charts replacing the Backstreet Boys).

Trent probably hated LB because they were massively successful while "The Fragile" didn't sell as well as expected, that probably sucked for him, he admitted that the lack of success of his own album after so much pressure for so many years didn't help with his addiction problems, although he admitted that he could see why LB were so successful, but he just hated it. 10 years later Trent has grown up and is sober, NIN is still a successful band and LB is far from being as huge as they were, Trent is cool with Borland and doesn't give a fuck about LB's popularity (or lack of) anymore, so they meet in a couple of festivals and they were just cool with each others, I don't see the problem and what could be so unbelievable about it.

sheepdean
02-09-2015, 03:00 PM
I think Bill can't handle the idea that people can be friends (or at least pleasant to each other), even if their musical talents aren't aligned.

billpulsipher
02-09-2015, 03:30 PM
10 years later Trent has grown up and is sober, NIN is still a successful band and LB is far from being as huge as they were, Trent is cool with Borland and doesn't give a fuck about LB's popularity (or lack of) anymore, so they meet in a couple of festivals and they were just cool with each others, I don't see the problem and what could be so unbelievable about it.

If he ran into Durst and shook his hand backstage somewhere, I can totally see that..Shit even Mike Patton said if he ran into Anthony Kiedis he would shake his hand and let bygones be bygones (their feud was 10 times what TR and Freddy boys feud was).....But for anyone to claim TR was "rocking out" to Limp Bizkit on the side of the stage and implying he enjoyed their music...its just ludicrous....

sheepdean
02-09-2015, 03:33 PM
If he ran into Durst and shook his hand backstage somewhere, I can totally see that..Shit even Mike Patton said if he ran into Anthony Kiedis he would shake his hand and let bygones be bygones (their feud was 10 times what TR and Freddy boys feud was).....But for anyone to claim TR was "rocking out" to Limp Bizkit on the side of the stage and implying he enjoyed their music...its just ludicrous....
The dude likes KISS, you really think he has such a refined musical palette?

Krazy
02-09-2015, 08:36 PM
I gotta side with Bill on this one- letting a beef linger (that sounds funny, heh) from grown men after nearly 10 years is one thing, "rocking out" to LB and "partying" with them is another. Anyone even know of any instances of TR rocking out or partying with bands post sobriety (I could be wrong on that, just never saw or heard of it- and not talking about the occasional IG or Twitter photo of Home or Freese, etc.)?

regarding Kiss they had a lot of influences on young bands/artists. Safe to say that TR didn't care too much for them as he got a bit older otherwise he wouldn't have talked shit about Gene Simmons going to work for kids as a clown, or whatever it is he said during the WG shows when he was supposedly calling it quits (which is a whole nother topic).

sheepdean
02-09-2015, 11:37 PM
Oh this looks like fun (http://www.ndvenue.com/event/755429-happiness-in-pasties-austin/)

sorry if this was already posted ...
I'm on my way

laz001
02-10-2015, 12:10 PM
You must be trolling........I should find some of the 20 interviews Trent did around 99/2000 where he said Limp Bizkit were a piece of shit band.....It was frat boy jock rap rock made by retards and catered to retards...Limp Bizkit and that entire rap metal scene were the motley crues and warrants of the late 90's/early 2000s....

This is BS. I can't stand people who generalize like this. TR isn't an authority on LB, so your statement is pointless.

Numetal/rapmetal has some great older bands - Deftones, Cypress Hill, Public enemy, system of a down, rage against the machine, fear factory, soulfly, machine head, avenged sevenfold, type-o slipknot and many more.

Anyone who dismisses an entire genre of music is an idiot in my eyes.

EndlessLoveless
02-10-2015, 12:46 PM
This is BS. I can't stand people who generalize like this. TR isn't an authority on LB, so your statement is pointless.

Numetal/rapmetal has some great older bands - Deftones, Cypress Hill, Public enemy, system of a down, rage against the machine, fear factory, soulfly, machine head, avenged sevenfold, type-o and many more.

Type o negative nu-metal/rap metal???? I think not.

laz001
02-10-2015, 12:50 PM
Type o negative nu-metal/rap metal???? I think not.

I'm inclined to agree with you and removed (which specific bands are somewhat irrelevant) - but take it up with Wikipedia... ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_nu_metal_bands

EndlessLoveless
02-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Sorry man, not trying to sound like a dick or to get into the 'genre' debate. I am guilty of taking my type o too seriously, which is pretty fucking ironic considering they never did. Dont take it out.

dlb
02-10-2015, 05:01 PM
I'm on my way

Take me with you! :D

God damn, that's one of those things that will probably never ever happen here. :(

billpulsipher
02-10-2015, 06:18 PM

Numetal/rapmetal has some great older bands - Deftones, Cypress Hill, Public enemy, system of a down, rage against the machine, fear factory, soulfly, machine head, avenged sevenfold, type-o slipknot and many more.

The world dismissed that entire genre of music

sheepdean
02-11-2015, 12:20 AM
The world dismissed that entire genre of music
Oh fuck off. So you only care about what is popular?

Sarah K
02-11-2015, 12:23 AM
Oh this looks like fun (http://www.ndvenue.com/event/755429-happiness-in-pasties-austin/)

sorry if this was already posted ...

The very first time I met playwithfire was at a NIN Burlesque show. GOOD TIMES.

billpulsipher
02-11-2015, 02:17 AM
Oh fuck off. So you only care about what is popular?

no I just hate retarded music...and rap metal was the most retarded music ever. but if your heroes are limp bizkit and crazy town and linkin park, good luck with that....I'm not saying anything Trent hasnt already said 50 times

sheepdean
02-11-2015, 03:53 AM
no I just hate retarded music...and rap metal was the most retarded music ever. but if your heroes are limp bizkit and crazy town and linkin park, good luck with that....I'm not saying anything Trent hasnt already said 50 times
Your basis for musical quality seems to be based on if Trent doesn't like it and/or it's not 80s industrial. Get over yourself, god forbid someone just likes an artist.

Khrz
02-11-2015, 04:24 AM
And NIN isn't that highbrow when it comes to musical refinement. There's not enough of a gap between what all those industrial, nü metal or pop punk acts and what NIN do for anyone to act all high and mighty and treat every other genre like it's music for plebs.
The NIN era you particulary revere, Bill, is considered by many to be nothing more than cock rock. You pinhole a genre to a selected panel of bands you loathe, and act like they're the pinnacle of that style, like music isn't fluid, chaotic and constantly evolving.
Break out of the fucking amber, and quit thinking "The World" is the name of your own circlejerk.

Blackbookpress1984
02-11-2015, 09:00 AM
http://i1282.photobucket.com/albums/a539/blackbookpress1984/twiztid-insane-clown-posse_zps52469f0d.jpg (http://s1282.photobucket.com/user/blackbookpress1984/media/twiztid-insane-clown-posse_zps52469f0d.jpg.html)

fillow
02-11-2015, 09:20 AM
Fucking offtopic threads... how do they work?

billpulsipher
02-11-2015, 12:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYnFIRc0k6E

rollin rollin rollin...god this guy was a musical genius...

Sarah K
02-11-2015, 12:18 PM
That's like someone pointing to FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL, and casting judgement on ALL of the work Reznor has done. That happens plenty, and I know I get tired of trying to explain #NOTALLNIN.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm familiar with LB outside of their major hits, because I'm not. But calling them and their fans "retarded" is way more of an indication of your intelligence than it is of theirs.

Cat Mom
02-11-2015, 12:39 PM
(why is this discussion still in this thread without being split into "not NIN spotting?")

witte
02-11-2015, 01:20 PM
right.......

telee.kom
02-11-2015, 04:36 PM
Actual NIN spotting in interview with Adrian Belew. I'm glad there are no issues between him and Trent, loved his input to HM and hope it continues

http://www.craveonline.com/music/interviews/817003-interview-adrian-belew-new-processor-project-fluxfx-nine-inch-nails-secret-new-project

That gum though

billpulsipher
02-11-2015, 05:10 PM
That's like someone pointing to FUCK YOU LIKE AN ANIMAL, and casting judgement on ALL of the work Reznor has done. That happens plenty, and I know I get tired of trying to explain #NOTALLNIN.

I'm not going to pretend that I'm familiar with LB outside of their major hits, because I'm not. But calling them and their fans "retarded" is way more of an indication of your intelligence than it is of theirs.

Than you must think Trent is an idiot too because he has gone on record many times saying Fred Durst is an asshole as well and that type of music is horrid.....And yes LB and their fans are retards. go read about woodstock 99 when LB fans decided to riot and rape a bunch of women in the crowd because their leader incited the entire thing.....

Am I actually arguing with people who are trying to defend Limp fucking Bizkit? LOL. I know some people like to try and fight with me on this board over nonsense, but taking the side of nu metal/limp bizkit and fred durst? surely you can do better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIw8JW9dmrQ

Joy Prevention Hotline
02-11-2015, 09:01 PM
Am I actually arguing with people who are trying to defend Limp fucking Bizkit? LOL.
No, they're trying to defend the idea that music comes in many flavors, and you can't make absolute judgements based on any one person's taste (or lack thereof).

Which to me has always been argument enough to lock all music critics in a windowless, soundproof building so we don't have to listen to them. (Particularly in a thread called NIN Spotting.)

Leviathant
02-12-2015, 01:08 AM
(why is this discussion still in this thread without being split into "not NIN spotting?")

Been busy (http://blog.melissadunphy.com/2015/02/a-new-addition-to-family.html), getting busier. Sorry.