PDA

View Full Version : Stone Temple Pilots

Pages : [1] 2

Piko
05-20-2013, 08:12 PM
Suddenly I feel sick...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9HYDsQE3E

Either way, this band deserves it's own thread.

JessicaSarahS
05-20-2013, 08:16 PM
I saw them last night at BFD and I was surprised that it was actually pretty good! Chester's vocals were much better than the video above, maybe he had a louder backing track this time around, and my distance from the stage changed things, heh. But I was very surprised and had anticipated that it would be shit and he does a great Scott Weiland vocal impersonation, which is really what he's doing in this band at this point.

Space Suicide
05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
Chester Bennington is ok, sounds like a lighty minuscule decent Weiland impersonator. Still doesn't hold a candle to the real thing. Hopefully this was a one off thing, if not then I'd be severely upset. Which is odd because I'm not an STP super fan.

Piko
05-20-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm no hardcore STP fan. But, they're a band that i've enjoyed for years. And to see them replace Weiland with the guy from Linkin Park is just a mindfuck. Weiland always comes back though. So it's probably temporary, even though, i'm sure they intend for it to be "permanent".

Conan The Barbarian
05-20-2013, 09:00 PM
I can understand a band wanting to go on and such, but that guy?

thevoid99
05-20-2013, 09:09 PM
Why are they still calling it STP? Couldn't they go back to that other lame band they once called Talk Show? Remember that band people?

thelastdisciple
05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
STP will obviously always have a legacy with Scott Weiland but with that being said I too am not the biggest fan of these guys to start with but as a fan of Chester it's interesting for me to hear him over some different music for a change and i have a feeling this would turn out to be a lot better than his Dead By Sunrise record.

I like the new track they released. Again I'm not the biggest STP fan so it doesn't really rub me in offensive ways as I'm sure it is for the more loyal fans.....

Just taking a look at the comment feeds of recent posts on their Facebook just tells me i would not be wanting to be these guys right about now.

To preserve the legacy you'd think they'd at least have some respect and change the name, not to go too off topic but there really seems to be something in the air though as i just read a post from System of a Down or rather one of the respective members recently about wanting to ditch Serj.

In the case of STP though, they could have done much worse.... i mean it could have been Scott Stapp :P

Space Suicide
05-20-2013, 09:10 PM
I can understand a band wanting to go on and such, but that guy?

Because he's a fucking badass, man.

http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/_/81416623/Chester+Bennington+PNG.png

JessicaSarahS
05-20-2013, 09:16 PM
Scott and the guys really need to hang up the whole STP thing if they're not together and just do their own material separately. I think it's stupid that Scott is touring and playing STP music and Eric and the DeLeo brothers are touring with STP music as well. Just create new material outside of the STP name!

Ripe(withdecay)
05-20-2013, 09:53 PM
I'm very excited to see how this goes. The new song is amazing, Chester is a perfect fit for this band.

aggroculture
05-20-2013, 10:27 PM
Stone Temple Park.

Presideo
05-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Scott and the guys really need to hang up the whole STP thing if they're not together and just do their own material separately. I think it's stupid that Scott is touring and playing STP music and Eric and the DeLeo brothers are touring with STP music as well. Just create new material outside of the STP name!
It's all about the money. The Deleo's tried two different STP clones in the past (Talk Show, Army of Anyone) and I think both albums bombed. The STP name at least gives them the 90's nostalgia factor that still sells tickets and CD's.

As for Scott, I guess he'll try to sue them...then send some drunken calls to Slash's voicemail, begging for a Velvet Revolver reunion.

Frozen Beach
05-20-2013, 10:55 PM
My friend told me that the main reason why they chose chester is probably because he was a big STP fan when growing up, so apparently this is a dream come true for him.

dlb
05-21-2013, 08:27 AM
I have to say that I get a real kick out of the latter STP and especially Scott's antics during that phase before their self titled and while he was with Velvet Revolver. Chester is a surprisingly good replacement and I like the new song, but still, there is a bitter taste when I see the promo photos and him bascially doing a bland imitation of Weiland style and vocal wise. He pulls it off quite well, but they should move on and get a new band going rather than cash grabbing everything they can get with the STP-name.

Here's still hoping to see Scott reunite or even tour with Velvet Revolver again. I'm dying to see either of them live for the first time.

Off to listen to no.4 and shangri-la dee da

think i'm a fire engine
05-23-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't really give two fucks about STP, but....

They have made music outside the STP name, as has been mentioned, and it bombed. They're trying to keep the appeal of the name plus go for "singer from X popular band joins Y popular band" to get a bit of publicity for their new material, which at the very least sounds better than Scott Weiland's Christmas album.

Space Suicide
05-23-2013, 08:37 PM
My friend told me that the main reason why they chose chester is probably because he was a big STP fan when growing up, so apparently this is a dream come true for him.

How come I never became the lead singer of Nine Inch Nails or A Perfect Circle then?

aggroculture
05-23-2013, 08:43 PM
their new material, which at the very least sounds better than Scott Weiland's Christmas album.

Oh no you don't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EojN6r2VSR4
Possibly one of the creepiest things ever, intentional or no. Sheer, perverse awesomeness.

Presideo
05-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Weiland's Bowie-esque crooning on his Christmas album wasn't too bad, but it was definitely the most random release of the year (I'm pretty sure Grandma would appreciate Michael Buble's X-mas album over Weiland's as a stocking-stuffer)

Piko
05-23-2013, 10:58 PM
That's the first seen or heard of that. Wow... Haircut and everything.

Frozen Beach
05-24-2013, 10:47 PM
https://www.facebook.com/ScottWeiland/posts/10151384245720685

BrokenSpiral
05-25-2013, 12:56 AM
He's suing then too, apparently.

Piko
05-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Apparently a big no-no to use the STP name without the four original members present. Hiring Bennington, calling it STP, and letting him mimic Scott is an obvious "fuck you". If the legal stuff Scott says is infact true, this new STP might be very short lived.

thevoid99
05-25-2013, 04:18 PM
I read Scott's Facebook post and he's got a point. It's really about money as far as what is happening and Scott Weiland isn't calling himself STP when he's doing a solo thing.

It's a shame that STP is now becoming another band. A band where you know there's maybe one or 2 original members in that band plus a bunch of hired guns. Art Alexakis has reformed Everclear but w/o the guys who helped made that band famous. In Foreigner, it's just Mick Jones and a bunch of other dudes including the bassist from Dokken. In Journey, it's just three guys from the classic line-up plus the drummer they've had for 15 years and some other dude. In Styx, it's just the two guitarists from the band, a couple of guys who had been around for more than a decade, and the bass player from the Babys.

It's pretty ridiculous. It's like watching a fucking cover band and paying a lot of money. Who wants to do that?

onthewall2983
05-25-2013, 04:31 PM
In Foreigner, it's just Mick Jones and a bunch of other dudes including the bassist from Dokken. In Journey, it's just three guys from the classic line-up plus the drummer they've had for 15 years and some other dude.

FWIW, Lou Gramm might be coming back.

Presideo
05-25-2013, 07:11 PM
I read Scott's Facebook post and he's got a point. It's really about money as far as what is happening and Scott Weiland isn't calling himself STP when he's doing a solo thing.
It seems a little more complicated than that. Apparently STP (w/ Scott) were prepared to do a tour to celebrate the anniversary of Core, and play the entire album front to back. However, Scott didn't have the vocal range to do some of the songs anymore. When his bandmates stated this to Scott, he couldn't take the criticism and decided to do a Core anniversary tour by himself, leaving the rest of the band holding their dicks.

Technically, it's Scott that fucked over the rest of the band, not the other way around. They were even prepared to do a 'Greatest Hits' tour after they found out Scott couldn't perform all of Core, but Weiland's ego stood in the way. They were left with two choices: do a shitty Core anniversary tour with Scott or kick him out and find somebody willing to tour - of course, they chose the latter.

Yes, it was all about money. But Weiland had obligations he decided not to fulfill and the rest of the band weren't going to nix their tour because of his ego. They should still be able to use the STP name if a single bandmember doesn't hold up their end of the bargain. We wouldn't even be having this discussion if Eric Kretz was fired and replaced for the same reasons as Weiland's ousting - just because Scott is the frontman doesn't give him the right to halt a tour and cost the rest of the band money.

Piko
05-25-2013, 07:50 PM
It all depends on what legal agreements they've made as a band. If they signed something that says they can't play or release material under certain circumstances, then they simply can't unless they settle. And there's always two sides to a story. But this isn't the first time he's been booted from the band.

Conan The Barbarian
05-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Its really not hard to sing STP. Dudes at karaoke bars can nail it.

onthewall2983
05-25-2013, 09:00 PM
They had some nice songs, but David Spade pretty much sealed their fate on "Weekend Update".

thevoid99
05-25-2013, 09:16 PM
FWIW, Lou Gramm might be coming back.

No, he's too sick and couldn't carry a tune these days.

onthewall2983
05-25-2013, 10:06 PM
No, he's too sick and couldn't carry a tune these days.

Apparently not too sick (http://ultimateclassicrock.com/lou-gramm-foreigner-reunion-tour), for one show at least.

Presideo
05-28-2013, 12:47 PM
http://www.avclub.com/articles/stone-temple-pilots-sue-scott-weiland-whose-feelin,98259/

Apparently the rest of STP feel they have the legal high-ground over Weiland. I thought Scott would take the situation to court first, but I guess the Deleo's and Kretz want to sever ties and move on as quickly as possible.

Its really not hard to sing STP. Dudes at karaoke bars can nail it.
Especially most songs from Core, an album where Weiland was pretty much a good Eddie Vedder clone at that point in his career. Still, songs like Sin, Piece of Pie, and Where the River Goes take some shred of vocal talent to pull off live on a day-to-day basis. Considering Weiland already has a penchant for half-assing it live these days, those songs might have been too embarrassing to play over the coarse an entire tour.

SM Rollinger
08-18-2013, 05:08 PM
http://youtu.be/2Bz2JSbaiAM

JessicaSarahS
09-03-2013, 05:33 PM
Oh, lol: S (http://live105.cbslocal.com/2013/08/30/stone-temple-pilots-officially-change-name-set-high-rise-ep-release/#.UiZigrRLZJI.twitter)tone Temple Pilots officially "change" their name. (http://live105.cbslocal.com/2013/08/30/stone-temple-pilots-officially-change-name-set-high-rise-ep-release/#.UiZigrRLZJI.twitter)

SM Rollinger
09-03-2013, 05:37 PM
Its just like whenever anybody sings for Queen...

Piko
09-03-2013, 07:07 PM
How suave of them. Couldn't use the name without Weiland, so why not just use WITH. Still not STP. It's like Joy Division without Ian and with Boy George instead.

aggroculture
09-03-2013, 08:41 PM
I would think the DeLeos would know enough rock history to know that there's no way in hell you can substitute your iconic singer with someone else moonlighting from a band a generation younger and get away with it. If STP want to be something more than a band whose 15 minutes were up nearly two decades ago they need to go away, sort out their shit, get back with Weiland, and write some fucking hits. Because this Chester Bennington shit is fucking ridiculous, and shame on Chester for eagerly going along with it.

Space Suicide
09-03-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm so against this whole STP reunion thing and with a really shitty vocalist choice on top of it. It's all so stupid and idiotic.

Piko
09-03-2013, 08:52 PM
I would think the DeLeos would know enough rock history to know that there's no way in hell you can substitute your iconic singer with someone else moonlighting from a band a generation younger and get away with it. If STP want to be something more than a band whose 15 minutes were up nearly two decades ago they need to go away, sort out their shit, get back with Weiland, and write some fucking hits. Because this Chester Bennington shit is fucking ridiculous, and shame on Chester for eagerly going along with it.

Whole thing just reeks of spite and denial. Chester probably knows full well that he doesn't fit, but does it anyway. And DeLeos are only doing this a fuck you to Weiland. They've been in the industry for over 20 years now. You would thing they would know better or be mature about the whole thing and just start a new band.

thevoid99
09-03-2013, 09:56 PM
It's still not right. I feel like people who are STP fans will feel like they've been ripped off.

ninedead
09-03-2013, 10:55 PM
as a person that in the early 90s was as a big an stp fan(STP was my first concert) as i was a nin fan i can say i left that fandom after tiny music, their last great album and i havent looked back. on the the fact that chester is now their singer only enforces my lack of interest. (im sure many will say they had good albums after tiny but i will disagree haha)

Failure
09-04-2013, 08:18 AM
If STP want to be something more than a band whose 15 minutes were up nearly two decades ago.

While I agree with your general sentiments, I don't think that the "15-minutes" verbiage applies to STP. Their first 4 records are all classic and they combined to sell over 20 million copies. The only crappy songs they ever released in the 90's were: Army Ants, Ride The Cliche, and MC5. That run of consistency was pretty incredible. Plus, they were absolutely on fire for a year or two when Scott got out of jail. The Shangri-La tour is even worth re-visiting (check out the 4-19-2002 show when they opened with "Shine On, You Crazy Diamond" or the Rolling Rock Town Fair Show). Even when they put out their crappy, self-titled record a few years back, they were still able to fill small arenas.

When I think of 90's bands who had their 15-minutes, it's much more applicable to acts like Everclear, Filter, Sugar Ray, Days Of The New, etc...

Piko
09-04-2013, 08:38 AM
STP proved with the last album that they still had a lot left in the tank. A lot of bitching and moaning on both ends. They'll probably kiss and make up eventually before falling out, again.

STP is like Jane's addiction. Quit when they still had a lot gems left to be written, and can't get along.

Kodiak33
09-04-2013, 09:17 AM
No. 4 is probably my favorite followed by Tiny Music. Although all of them were good IMO.

I saw them live in 2000 and they were incredible. The show opening Final Four weekend in Indy was bad, Scott was wasted or something and couldn't talk/sing correctly.

skullboy0
09-04-2013, 09:21 AM
Whole thing just reeks of spite and denial. Chester probably knows full well that he doesn't fit, but does it anyway. And DeLeos are only doing this a fuck you to Weiland. They've been in the industry for over 20 years now. You would thing they would know better or be mature about the whole thing and just start a new band.

Yeah, they've tried that twice, hence STP with Chester Bennington.

Piko
09-04-2013, 09:23 AM
And past will repeat itself and it'll likely flop.

Presideo
09-04-2013, 12:35 PM
Yeah, they've tried that twice, hence STP with Chester Bennington.
Bingo!

It's not spite; they're going to great lengths to use the STP name because they have to, not because they want to. Sadly, even the STP brand will only guarantee them a House of Blues tour and a couple spins on local hard rock stations.

Space Suicide
09-04-2013, 12:55 PM
Bingo!

It's not spite; they're going to great lengths to use the STP name because they have to, not because they want to. Sadly, even the STP brand will only guarantee them a House of Blues tour and a couple spins on local hard rock stations.

Deleos band with Richard Patrick, Army of Anyone, was a failure so i agree 100%.

_minus
09-30-2013, 09:09 AM
So the STP & Chester Bennington EP leaked last week and I decided to listen to it so I could justify how bad of a decision STP had made in choosing this guy as their vocalist.

Ugh. I hate when I'm wrong. I actually enjoy it quite a bit. I don't know if I like it under the name STP, but it's not bad music and Chester has chops that I wouldn't have expected from "that guy from Linkin Park".

Full EP:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjH9w9T4ZA

GulDukat
10-01-2013, 04:48 AM
Thanks for posting the new EP--I've been waiting to see it on youtube.

I personally really like the new EP--and I say that as someone who was never a huge Linkin Park fan. I was not very enthusiastic about Chester joining the band, but where credit is due, he's done a good job of filling in for Scott and is a good fit for the band, IMHO. The new songs kind of sound like a continuation of band's (very underrated) self-titled album. The EP is nothing earth-shattering, just a collection of five well-crafted 90s-sounding rock songs.

Caught the Boston show a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. It was very odd to see STP with a new singer, but the band clearly has chemistry and seemed to be enjoying themselves. I also saw Scott Weiland in Boston in March. While Scott's show was a little more exciting, STP were in much better form. Scott was clearly on something and I can't say I blame the rest of the band for not wanting to play with a singer who is often late/high/drunk.

Gotta disagree with what some have said about SW as a singer. Weiland may have channeled Vedder on Core, but he's an amazing, versatile, charismatic singer and a true rock star with a great set of pipes.

GulDukat
10-01-2013, 06:36 AM
Thanks, man. ETS seems far more active than the official form. Maybe that will change once the upgrade is made.

Piko
10-01-2013, 08:56 AM
EP isnt that bad. Feels kinda odd at times. But, musically, it's pretty lively. First two tracks aren't too bad either. But, those are the tracks where he tries to sound like Scott. Last track's guitar part reminds me a lot of Regeneration. This could be a grower. Time will tell I guess. It isn't bad though.

poinoup
10-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Morning spin of this today, and I have to say it's not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Chester sounds great on "Black Heart", really outside of his normal range, but it's still just not Weiland.

I'd say a solid 6/10 or so. Far better than that Korn disc yesterday...

Piko
10-01-2013, 10:45 AM
Not really a competition when you compare it to korn. 6/10 seems pretty reasonable.

Piko
10-01-2013, 11:51 PM
The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. Might have to take back my 6/10

GulDukat
10-02-2013, 04:18 AM
I'd give it a 8/10 or 4/5. Again, nothing earth-shattering and the band isn't breaking new ground, but the songs are memorable and well-written.

Brett from alternativnation did a good interview with Dean. Lots of good info: http://www.alternativenation.net/?p=35820

Space Suicide
10-02-2013, 09:06 AM
The music is perfect but I can't get behind the Weiland impersonator. Shame.

GulDukat
10-02-2013, 09:15 AM
Chester's still singing in his range, it's just that he's using a vocal style that's better suited for STP. It's not like when Gary Cherone fronted Van Halen and was screaming his lungs out, trying to sound like Sammy Hagar.

GulDukat
10-03-2013, 06:49 PM
STP will be on Leno tonight.

Space Suicide
10-03-2013, 06:51 PM
STP will be on Leno tonight.

"STP" you mean, but I might throw it on just to see how it goes.

Piko
10-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Chester's still singing in his range, it's just that he's using a vocal style that's better suited for STP. It's not like when Gary Cherone fronted Van Halen and was screaming his lungs out, trying to sound like Sammy Hagar.

He doesn't need to mimic Weiland though. For a first release, fine. But I can expect that getting very old, very fast if he continues doing that. He's not Weiland. If they want to to continue with Chester, fine. There's potential there. But, they can't keep going on if all they're going to do is keep writing with a Weiland impersonator. It's one thing to play the hits with him, it's another to write completely new material while mimicking the old guy, who they fired. If they want him to sound like Weiland, then perhaps they shouldn't have canned him.

GulDukat
10-03-2013, 07:41 PM
The first two singles and "Cry Cry" are the most Weiland-esque, IMO. With the other two, Chester sounds more like that way he does with LP.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAjsAaistW0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc9sTQgRDXI

He's still trying to find his voice with STP--and I like what they've done so far. I really dig this EP and hope that we see an album or at least another EP down the line.

GulDukat
10-04-2013, 05:33 AM
On my jog last night I was listening to Core, and man, even after all these years, the whole album still smokes. Pearl Jam/Nirvana comparisons aside, the songs are just really, really good. The whole album rocks hard, is melodic, has killer solos and just really well written. The hits--"Sex Type Thing," "Wicked Garden," "Creep" and "Plush" stand up well against any other rock song from that era, IMHO and the rest of the album is great too--"Sin," "Naked Sunday" etc. are awesome, so it's not like it's just a few strong songs and a bunch of filler. I hope over time people will recognize Core as one of the best albums from the era.

Failure
10-04-2013, 08:01 AM
On my jog last night I was listening to Core, and man, even after all these years, the whole album still smokes. Pearl Jam/Nirvana comparisons aside, the songs are just really, really good. The whole album rocks hard, is melodic, has killer solos and just really well written. The hits--"Sex Type Thing," "Wicked Garden," "Creep" and "Plush" stand up well against any other rock song from that era, IMHO and the rest of the album is great too--"Sin," "Naked Sunday" etc. are awesome, so it's not like it's just a few strong songs and a bunch of filler. I hope over time people will recognize Core as one of the best albums from the era.

Agreed. While Core is not my favorite STP album, it really has no filler. Even the deepest tracks are extremely strong (Where The River Goes, Piece Of Pie). To me though, the public backlash that the band had to deal with after their initial success makes Purple and Tiny Music even more incredible (remember that little dipshit on SNL making fun of them during Weekend Update). I've said it on here before, but STP really expanded their sound in interesting/exciting ways during that 1994-1999 period. Luckily for them, the hits always came easy, but it was unfair how they were classified as a derivative/mainstream/second tier band. They were great at straight-hard rock (Unglued, Trippin' On A Hole, No Way Out, Heaven And Hot Rods), expiremental fusion (Lounge Fly, And So I Know, Seven-Caged Tigers, Adhesive, I Got You), and even in the acoustic/melodic space (Pretty Penny, Kitchenware, Atlanta). And I'm not sure how you would clasify Still Remains, but that song has one of the best hooks of the 90's.

It's sad seeing Scott wither away. That's why I have so many mixed feelings about this new STP project. Dean/Robert are at the top of their game, but I can only imagine how incredible these songs would be if 1997 Scott Weiland was singing. Unfair to Chester I realize...

skullboy0
10-04-2013, 08:46 AM
...Even the deepest tracks are extremely strong (Where The River Goes, Piece Of Pie)...

I had forgotten how great Piece of Pie is until I saw them live at the Riv in Chicago shortly before the release of the last album.

aggroculture
10-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Liked Core, loved Purple. Vasoline was my anthem when I was an angsty teenager.
Tiny Music came as a massive disappointment to me: way, way too Beatlesy. Oh, it's got good songs on it (Art School Girl, Tumble in the Rough, Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show), but I never made peace with it.
Everything else since has been bleh. A few good moments (Hollywood Bitch, Sour Girl), but the majority has been lumpen average hard rock.

GulDukat
10-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Agreed. And I'm not sure how you would clasify Still Remains, but that song has one of the best hooks of the 90's.

Man, that one's awesome. It sounds contemporary (by 1994 standards), but still had this great retro vibe.

Piko
10-04-2013, 03:24 PM
No. 4 is my favorite. I also love Shangri la de da. As far as I'm concerned, there's no bad album, and they only got better as they continued. I like the s\t, but that was a huge step back imo. Still, pretty good for a reunion album.

poinoup
10-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Liked Core, loved Purple. Vasoline was my anthem when I was an angsty teenager.
Tiny Music came as a massive disappointment to me: way, way too Beatlesy. Oh, it's got good songs on it (Art School Girl, Tumble in the Rough, Big Bang Baby, Lady Picture Show), but I never made peace with it.
Everything else since has been bleh. A few good moments (Hollywood Bitch, Sour Girl), but the majority has been lumpen average hard rock.

Those first three albums...man.

Purple was my grade 8 album by far. I think I had a shirt of the album art too. That disc was played out beyond belief. Even the hidden "Gracious Melody". Great record for it's time, and I was one year out from finding NIN.

I liked Tiny Music too myself, Art School Girl is just awesome, and I love how it fades out into Adhesive.

But they have suffered since the first three albums in quality. For every decent track since, there have been three "meh" tracks.

It's hard to believe Weiland with his mechanic shirts etc. in '94 is the same creepy dude in the Winter Wonderland video :)

GulDukat
10-04-2013, 04:02 PM
My STP tattoo:
https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/301501_119374454915968_1504240217_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/207458_122540457932701_710378345_n.jpg
The second one isn't the best picture because of the glare.

Failure
10-05-2013, 07:05 AM
Shangrila-dee-shit you can keep. That album is horrid. It's kind of weird that one of the worst songs Scott has ever penned (Wonderful) is the one that Chester duetted on during that Family Values run in 2001.

Wonderful is crap and Shangri-La was the first STP album with multiple bad songs, but there are some great moments on there. Coma, Regeneration, and Long Way Home all stand up well. And Transmissions From A a Lonely room is the single most underrated song in their discography. Horrid is a bit harsh. Even the singles and the supporting tour were solid.

GulDukat
10-05-2013, 07:35 AM
I really liked both Shangri-La Dee Da and the self-titled album. Loved the mix of power-pop, garage-rock and ballads on SLDD. Here are three great songs, IMHO.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_mxUL0Gs1Q
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DTXEg-S1cc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXXPymJi3UA

I was a little disappointed with the S/T album at first and I'm not sure why. I've been listening to it lately and I really like it--more power-pop sounding than most STP albums, but it has a lot of great songs like "Cinnamon," "Dare if you Dare" and "Peacoat."

GulDukat
10-06-2013, 07:29 AM
Loved the Talk Show album, kind of a "lost" STP album (1997)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro6XxXVTzoU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JeEWulLsDQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLHn0AU-pWc

GulDukat
05-01-2014, 11:58 AM
New Scott Weiland songs, just performed:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqxPTZ1GfSA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3R2DsYlYG_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzAf9Wn-lOw

henryeatscereal
05-01-2014, 12:39 PM
So it seems Scott is never coming back, that sucks... i did liked "High Rise" but it's just not the same...

I also rated my top STP albums for no reason (feel free to disagree, lol)

1. Purple
2. Core
3. Shangri La Dee Da (VERY underrated)
4. Stone Temple Pilots
5. Tiny music...
6. No 4

GulDukat
05-01-2014, 01:36 PM
So it seems Scott is never coming back, that sucks... i did liked "High Rise" but it's just not the same...

I also rated my top STP albums for no reason (feel free to disagree, lol)

1. Purple
2. Core
3. Shangri La Dee Da (VERY underrated)
4. Stone Temple Pilots
5. Tiny music...
6. No 4

It's kind of hard for me to rank-order every STP album as I really liked them all. I agree that SLDD is underrated. I hope that Chester and STP are able to make a proper album, once Chester's commitments to Linkin Park's new CD and tour are over.

Piko
05-01-2014, 01:39 PM
No. 4
Shangra La Dee Da
Tiny Music
Purple
Core
STP

GulDukat
01-04-2015, 11:34 PM
Kinda quiet on the STP front. It will be interesting to compare their new album with Scott's.

GulDukat
01-09-2015, 05:12 PM
Yay! Seeing Scott Weiland in Boston this March.

theruiner
01-09-2015, 06:08 PM
Kinda quit on the STP front. It will be interesting to compare their new album with Scott's.There's news on a new album? I would probably give it a shot but the band hasn't been good since "Tiny Music." The EP they put out with Chester was the very definition of bland.

I would totally see Scott in concert if tickets weren't 75 bucks and if he played more than a dozen songs. Maybe that has changed but that was the case the last time he was in town. Sorry, I love that guy but I wouldn't pay more than, like, 40 at most and only if it was a full show.

GulDukat
01-09-2015, 08:16 PM
There's news on a new album? I would probably give it a shot but the band hasn't been good since "Tiny Music." The EP they put out with Chester was the very definition of bland.

I would totally see Scott in concert if tickets weren't 75 bucks and if he played more than a dozen songs. Maybe that has changed but that was the case the last time he was in town. Sorry, I love that guy but I wouldn't pay more than, like, 40 at most and only if it was a full show.
The DeLeos said that they were working on new songs a few months back and they have a gig this spring, not much else. They have to work around Chester's schedule.

I really enjoyed every STP album, although some fans, including Chester, think the first three are the best. I really enjoyed the EP that they released with Chester. Nothing groundbreaking, but good, solid 90's-sounding rock. High Rise showed some potential and that this new lineup has chemistry.

As for ticket prices for the new tour, my ticket for the Boston show was only about 30 bucks.

GulDukat
01-10-2015, 11:39 PM
According to Dean DeLeo's twitter page, STP have been working on new songs and are going to start recording a new album on Monday. I'd post a link but don't know how to on this tablet.

theruiner
01-10-2015, 11:49 PM
As for ticket prices for the new tour, my ticket for the Boston show was only about 30 bucks.Yeah, I ended up looking up prices after I posted that. Not terrible. At his most recent show he played 14 songs, according to Setlist.fm. Which isn't bad for the price. But only 5 STP songs. Which, you know, it's his solo show so that's understandable, but personally I'm not going to put in the effort to go see him for only 5 songs that I actually want to hear.

Ah, well. I may or may not see STP when they tour next time. Hearing anyone else sing those songs but Scott is blasphemy but it would be nice to see one of my favorite bands live again, even with the wrong singer. I still love the rest of those guys and to be able to hear them perform those songs live might be worth it. I don't know.

I got to see them three times with Scott, once in 2000 when they were in their prime. That show is one of the best concerts I have ever been to and I have fond memories of the other two as well. Plus, two of those times I was just a few feet from the stage, so I really can't complain. I just really miss seeing all of them together. Maybe Scott will eventually get his shit together so they can reunite again. Maybe. But I'm not holding my breath.

GulDukat
01-11-2015, 12:12 AM
Yeah, I ended up looking up prices after I posted that. Not terrible. At his most recent show he played 14 songs, according to Setlist.fm. Which isn't bad for the price. But only 5 STP songs. Which, you know, it's his solo show so that's understandable, but personally I'm not going to put in the effort to go see him for only 5 songs that I actually want to hear.

Ah, well. I may or may not see STP when they tour next time. Hearing anyone else sing those songs but Scott is blasphemy but it would be nice to see one of my favorite bands live again, even with the wrong singer. I still love the rest of those guys and to be able to hear them perform those songs live might be worth it. I don't know.

I got to see them three times with Scott, once in 2000 when they were in their prime. That show is one of the best concerts I have ever been to and I have fond memories of the other two as well. Plus, two of those times I was just a few feet from the stage, so I really can't complain. I just really miss seeing all of them together. Maybe Scott will eventually get his shit together so they can reunite again. Maybe. But I'm not holding my breath.
Saw Scott in Boston in 2009 and he played maybe two STP songs, which I was cool with as I liked his solo stuff. There were a bunch of drunks that kept singing "I Am SMELLIN'...." for most of the show, which was kind of funny.

At the last tour (2013), he played only songs from the first two STP albums. He seemed kind of fucked-up and his band was sloppy, but I was right up front and it was a great show. A few months later I saw STP with Chester and that show was superior in just about every way--Chester was in far better form than Scott and the DeLeos and Kretz played far better than the Wildabouts. But while the STP show was far more polished and professional, I might give the edge to the Weiland show--despite its flaws, or maybe because of them--it had a certain looseness and rawness which made it unpredictable and exciting. Still, I can see why STP felt the need to go with a more reliable singer and they put on a great show with Chester.

Saw STP in 2002 and in 2010 and they were awesome. I'd recommended the live DVD from Chicago, from the 2010 tour. Great stuff.

GulDukat
01-12-2015, 06:33 PM
Brand new Scott Weiland single, "White Lightning"
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/6436527/scott-weiland-wildabouts-white-lightning-blaster-exclusive-premiere

Sounds like a cross between The Black Keys and Morrison Hotel-​era Doors. Good stuff.

GulDukat
01-17-2015, 12:54 AM
According to Robert's twitter page, drums are done and bass and guitar are set for next week.

dlb
01-17-2015, 05:59 AM
I love Weiland! He's definitely one of my most favorite frontmen in rock history! While I don't dig his singing style at times I absolutely adore his voice at other times! That single is pretty cool, curious what blaster will hold for us! :)

GulDukat
01-17-2015, 02:21 PM
I love Weiland! He's definitely one of my most favorite frontmen in rock history! While I don't dig his singing style at times I absolutely adore his voice at other times! That single is pretty cool, curious what blaster will hold for us! :)
Looking forward to Blaster ​and new STP. It will be interesting to compare the two.

kel
01-19-2015, 10:10 PM
edit: wrong thread.

W Axl Rose
02-01-2015, 03:35 PM
http://www.blabbermo...other-projects/ (http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bumblefoot-art-of-anarchy-is-not-competition-or-a-threat-to-any-of-our-other-projects/)

Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal has confirmed that his ART OF ANARCHY project will likely employ a new vocalist when and if the band hits the road later in the year.
In addition to the GUNS N' ROSES guitarist, the recording lineup for ART OF ANARCHY's first CD included ex-STONE TEMPLE PILOTS singer Scott Weiland and DISTURBED bassist John Moyer. The rest of the lineup is filled out by Jon Votta on guitar and Vince Votta on drums. The group's debut disc will arrive this spring.

In a statement on his Facebook page posted only hours after the ART OF ANARCHY project was first announced, Weiland minimized his involvement with the group, explaining: "I just saw some press about a side project called ART OF ANARCHY that I worked on last year. I wrote and put my vocals down for these guys and had fun doing a couple of videos too. We had a lot of fun. When they find their frontman to hit the road and play some dates, check them out."

In an exclusive statement to Rolling Stone, Thal wrote that "ART OF ANARCHY is not competition or a threat or interference to what any of us are doing — it's a complement, an addition, one I'm proud of creatively."
He continued: "[There is] no need to minimize or undermine or devalue a project we all worked on together over the course of two years.
"I enjoyed working with Scott. And I'm looking forward to [the SCOTT WEILAND AND] THE WILDABOUTS album release, the Bumblefoot album release, and the ART OF ANARCHY album release. The more music the better, it's what we do, right? http://www.mygnrforum.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png Artists do collaborations and a month later, their own album comes out. This is normal stuff. All good. :)"
Thal added: "The five of us made an album together. Scott is currently the singer of the band. It's in writing; no confusion. But yes, Scott's solo album and tour are his priority and we're all on the same page about getting another vocalist if ART OF ANARCHY hits the road. But we don't need to cross that bridge just yet. Taking everything as it comes, one step at a time, letting it evolve organically. Where it goes from here (and with who!) is yet to be seen."
ART OF ANARCHY is the brainchild of Thal and the Votta brothers, who have been friends for 18 years dating back to their days on the New York music scene.

aggroculture
02-01-2015, 07:33 PM
12 Bar Blues was awful to me.

I think Cool Kiss was the only song I remember liking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxGG81vrT2A

I also wish we'd seen more of the Magnificent Bastards:
this song ruled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWuOReSB1Gk

GulDukat
02-05-2015, 10:04 AM
First review of Scott's new album:
http://www.alternativenation.net/scott-weiland-blaster-review/

GulDukat
02-05-2015, 10:05 AM
12 Bar Blues was awful to me.

I think Cool Kiss was the only song I remember liking:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxGG81vrT2A

I also wish we'd seen more of the Magnificent Bastards:
this song ruled:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWuOReSB1Gk

LOVED 12 Bar Blues. It's one of the most underrated albums from the 1990's, IMHO.

GulDukat
02-09-2015, 08:14 PM
New Scott Weiland, "The Way She Moves."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/premieres/hear-scott-weilands-foot-stomping-way-she-moves-20150209

Space Suicide
02-09-2015, 08:15 PM
On topic of 12 Bar Blues, I LOVE Barbarella.

GulDukat
02-18-2015, 03:45 AM
STP have a new spring tour, details on their website. Looks like they dropped the "with CB" moniker from their name, as Ticketmaster and their site just list the band as "Stone Temple Pilots." I wonder if that has anything to do with their lawsuit with Scott being settled. According to a video posted and twitter updates, the band is still working on their upcoming album.

So now STP and Scott will be touring at the same time. The two Boston shows are about a month apart. It will be fun attending both shows to compare.

GulDukat
02-19-2015, 12:45 PM
Got my ticket for the Boston show.

New interview with Dean and Eric. They are four songs into a full length album:
http://www.dc101.com/onair/mike-jones-4720/its-open-season-for-live-setlists-13268481/

GulDukat
02-28-2015, 10:08 AM
Some new acoustic performances from Purple, with Chester singing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WyrIbNIQGec#t=74
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeBSfT05SNs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDcNDxXiaKE

henryeatscereal
02-28-2015, 10:27 AM
^the tracks sound ok, but i miss Weiland's voice, still, Chester is doing a good job and i coulndn't find anything wrong with his performance (and i'm not even a fan of him...)

Space Suicide
02-28-2015, 11:16 AM
This band sucks now. Shadow of their former selves, no disrespect to the other guys involved but they act like Bennington is a good replacement when he sounds like such a tryhard copycat in every sense of the word. Should've just kicked Weiland out and made a new band with Bennington under a new moniker. This will NEVER be Stone Temple Pilots to me and adding WITH Chester Bennington doesn't pull a fast one on me.

dlb
02-28-2015, 12:41 PM
wow, I'm quite surprised how good he sings those songs in an acoustic einvironment. Yet, he sound like he's just immitating Weiland. Very well at that, but yeah, this is not STP but a cover band. You just can't go on like that with a singer as remarkable as Weiland. Same goes for AiC to a certain extent (at least Cantrell is there for the songs that feature him more prominently).

It's really sad that I probably will never see Weiland with any of his bands live. No STP and no VR. Sadly as their are one of my most favorite bands when it comes to just listening to some guys rocking out.

GulDukat
02-28-2015, 01:05 PM
This band sucks now. Shadow of their former selves, no disrespect to the other guys involved but they act like Bennington is a good replacement when he sounds like such a tryhard copycat in every sense of the word. Should've just kicked Weiland out and made a new band with Bennington under a new moniker. This will NEVER be Stone Temple Pilots to me and adding WITH Chester Bennington doesn't pull a fast one on me.

They actually dropped the "With Chester Bennington" moniker.

I'm a huge Scott Weiland fan and feel sorry that he was fired, but I can hardly blame the other members for kicking him out. These guys are in their late 40's now and getting too old for this sort of thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10Q6p5TV9Dg

Chester is reliable and professional, so I can totally see why they'd want to work with him over Scott. I also have no problem with them keeping the name. The three other members have spent over 20 years of their lives building up that brand and they shouldn't have to stop using that moniker just because their frontman can't keep it together. As a live act, STP with Chester sound great, IMHO. Caught the Boston show in 2013 and am seeing them again in April. I'm also seeing Scott next month.

As for Chester sounding like Scott--I see your point. He does sound somewhat Weiland-esque on the excellent High Rise EP, although he still has his own identity. Since that was just their first collaboration together, I expect Chester to find his own voice with the upcoming album.

ETA--this sounds good:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRCwjfvml0o

Space Suicide
02-28-2015, 01:22 PM

I'm a huge Scott Weiland fan and feel sorry that he was fired, but I can hardly blame the other members for kicking him out. These guys are in their late 40's now and getting too old for this sort of thing:

Chester is reliable and professional, so I can totally see why they'd want to work with him over Scott. I also have no problem with them keeping the name. The three other members have spent over 20 years of their lives building up that brand and they shouldn't have to stop using that moniker just because their frontman can't keep it together. As a live act, STP with Chester sound great, IMHO. Caught the Boston show in 2013 and am seeing them again in April. I'm also seeing Scott next month.

As for Chester sounding like Scott--I see your point. He does sound somewhat Weiland-esque on the excellent High Rise EP, although he still has his own identity. Since that was just their first collaboration together, I expect Chester to find his own voice with the upcoming album.

Oh, I don't blame them for ditching him again but banking on the STP name is just laziness. If they got the interest, talent and fans people will follow. I followed the DeLeo brothers with that disastrous Army of Anyone thing they did with Richard Patrick (barf). They're just banking on the STP name because I bet even some casual idiots won't even know Weiland isn't with them. Some music fans today still think Slash is in GNR...fucking hilarious.

It's the same as current day Smashing Pumpkins, where Billy needs that name to sell music he couldn't sell otherwise because he's tapping into familiarity. I love the new SP music and Billy but the current day SP is NOT SP to me. It's a solo act with a familiar name. Just like Guns N' Roses, I know Axl owns the name/rights but to me it's not really GNR. It's just Axl solo singing the hits with sessions members, who have been around so long that they aren't session members anymore.

GulDukat
02-28-2015, 01:44 PM
I really liked Chinese Democracy and the recent GN'R shows that I've seen. That said, fans do have a point when they say "that's not really Guns N' Roses without Slash, Duff, etc." For me, it is what it is and I'll continue to follow Axl as long as he tours and releases new music.

It's a totally different situation with The Smashing Pumpkins, IMO. James and Jimmy contributed to the group, but it was always Billy's vision and a band in name only, sort of like The Wings. I have no issue with him using the name.

The DeLeo brothers and Kretz used a different name in the late 90's (Talk Show) and (without Kretz) in 2006 with Army of Anyone. Both projects (despite being rather good, IMO) flopped. So sure, them using the name is about using a familiar brand to help with ticket sales, singles, etc. and I have no problem with that. They've spent their entire adult lives building up the STP brand and they shouldn't be kept from using it and have their careers hurt because of Weiland's antics.

GulDukat
03-14-2015, 07:35 AM
New interview with Chester:
http://www.altwire.net/2015/03/12/altwire-interview-chester-bennington/

GulDukat
03-15-2015, 06:42 AM
Scott Weiland was pretty awesome last night. The Brighten Music Hall is pretty small and I stood at the side of the stage, maybe 20 feet from the band. What a difference from last time. When I saw him two years ago, about a week after he was fired from Stone Temple Pilots, he seemed pretty wasted (he was late, slurred speech, sloppy), but he was definitely on his game last night. Scott, who is 47, looked and sounded like he could have been in his early 30's. He's in great shape and gave a good performance, playing a mix of old-school STP and songs from his upcoming album, 'Blaster.' The new material has a sort of Black Keys/Jack White garage sound but with a retro 70's feel. Scott's band, the Wildabouts, now reduced to a four piece (including Scott), was a lot tighter than the 2013 show. On the last show they seemed like a tribute band at a dive bar, but last night they actually played the STP material a lot better, although they are still no match for the DeLeo brothers and Kretz. I had a lot of fun at the 2013 show, but it was sad to see Scott in such bad shape. Glad to see that he's taking care of himself these days.

GulDukat
03-16-2015, 06:42 PM
Scott and Chester singing "Wonderful" from 2001--sounds fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVi3wlbSn1M

GulDukat
03-19-2015, 05:30 PM
Album sampling of Art of Anarchy's new album, due 6/8. Features Scott Weiland on vocals:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frm4MK6ZZJU

GulDukat
03-31-2015, 03:28 AM
Scott Weiland's guitarist, Jeremy Brown, has passed away.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/6516985/scott-weiland-guitarist-jeremy-brown-dies

GulDukat
03-31-2015, 07:13 AM
On the day of their album release, too. Not to sound insensitive, but Scott kind of needs this tour to happen, with all the heavy debt he's accrued. Will be interesting to see what happens.
I would imagine that the tour will be cancelled or at least delayed. It's not just about losing a member of the band--think of the trauma and distress this is causing Scott, the other members and their crew.

Presideo
04-02-2015, 07:11 AM
Modzilla is a direct ripoff of White Stripes' Icky Thump
Bleed Out is a direct ripoff of Nirvana's Stay Away

Not sure why they just didn't make a cover album. There's some catchy hooks here and there, but it's mostly generic riff rock with cookie-cutter Weiland lyrics - very forgettable stuff.

GulDukat
04-07-2015, 06:08 AM
Modzilla is a direct ripoff of White Stripes' Icky Thump
Bleed Out is a direct ripoff of Nirvana's Stay Away

Not sure why they just didn't make a cover album. There's some catchy hooks here and there, but it's mostly generic riff rock with cookie-cutter Weiland lyrics - very forgettable stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kXTK1WbwNM
Those two songs do have the same riff. I prefer "Modzilla" though-I just prefer Weiland's vocals and the song's structure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcHoVku4L7k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dIwr_IQWGI
Again, some strong similarities.

Blaster is not breaking any new ground. It's a sort of White Stripes/Nirvana/T Rex hybrid that goes for the White Stripes/Black Keys lo-fi sound that's been popular for the past decade or so. That said, I really enjoyed the album. It's nothing original but it's well written, melodic and catchy. It's not a classic or the best thing that Weiland's ever done but it's an enjoyable album.

Let's see what Stone Temple Pilots come up with with their new album.

GulDukat
04-07-2015, 08:06 AM
This, THIS and more this. It's the first album I've heard from a renowned 90's musician since SP's Oceania album where I actually wondered aloud "WTF is this shit?"

I had some high expectations for this album because I loved his first two solo records. This one has none of the artsy weirdness of his prior albums and suffers immensely for it. There's a song on there called "Beach Bop" or something and it's fucking embarrassing. That 2010 comeback album he did by email with STP absolutely smokes this one.

It's sad because the dude can still write an aching pop song when he's inspired. "Circles" is up there with the best ballads he's ever written; sun-splashed countrified pop with a killer vocal melody. But you have to wade through an entire album of faceless riff rock schlock to get to it.

Really hoping I'll warm to this if I spend more time with it, but for now...meh.

De gustibus non est disputandum.

Funny how fans of the same artist can have such divergent opinions. I absolutely loved Oceania and would rank it as their fourth best album, behind SD, MCATIS and Adore. I too enjoyed Scott's first two solo albums, with all of their "artsy weirdness," but I don't think it's such a bad thing that he's made a more straight-forward rock album this time around. Listening to "Hotel Rio" right now and again, he's not reinventing the wheel, but it's a solid meat-and-potatoes retro-70's song. "Amethys" has a kind of Tiny Music feel and is another good track.

aggroculture
04-07-2015, 01:58 PM
Scott Weiland has always been a bit of a musical chameleon/magpie from STP's debut onward.

This might sound crazy, but I think the De Leo brothers should have done another Talk Show album with Dave Coutts. Somewhat underrated that album.

GulDukat
04-07-2015, 02:08 PM
Scott Weiland has always been a bit of a musical chameleon/magpie from STP's debut onward.

This might sound crazy, but I think the De Leo brothers should have done another Talk Show album with Dave Coutts. Somewhat underrated that album.
Fantastic album.

GulDukat
04-13-2015, 04:24 AM
Blaster debuts at 133, behind Journey's Greatest Hits (1988).

Ouch.

http://www.billboard.com/charts/billboard-200

GulDukat
04-14-2015, 08:48 PM
Sad. I hope Scott Weiland wasn't behind this:
http://www.alternativenation.net/scott-weiland-flyers-handed-out-after-stp-show-comparing-band-to-journey-without-steve-perry/

GulDukat
04-29-2015, 05:26 AM
Saw Stone Temple Pilots last night in Boston --pretty awesome show. They must have played for a good two hours--a bulk of the setlist was from their first two albums, 'Core' and 'Purple,' but they played a fair amount of songs from their later-day 90's albums as well, a lot of deep album cuts. This was my fourth STP show and second with Chester Bennington as their lead singer. It still feels kind of strange to see the band with a new lead singer, but Chester's a great frontman/vocalist, and I say that as someone who is not really a huge fan of Linkin Park. Hopefully once STP release a new album with Chester, it will cement this new lineup and they will be seen more as their own band and not a cover one. The band was in great spirits and my throat is a little sore from singing along to "Plush" and "Dead and Bloated."

GulDukat
04-29-2015, 05:44 PM
Pretty cool, Dean goes off on a "fan" shouting for Scott.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=132&v=cLlEWstLvUg

cahernandez
04-30-2015, 10:04 AM
This is sad...just sad. Now I fully understand why STP kicked Scott out of the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1wUBZBVsZk

GulDukat
04-30-2015, 10:11 AM
This is sad...just sad. Now I fully understand why STP kicked Scott out of the band: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1wUBZBVsZk
To be fair, the next day (last night) he was in much better form.

cahernandez
04-30-2015, 10:38 AM
I was not trying to 'bash' Scott with the video I posted...I hope someone close to him reaches out to him, and pulls him aside. He needs a break from all of this! He gave us such wonderful music and I feel a bit powerless about this, you know? I want Scott to get better. It's similar to how I feel about Aaron North (that depressing Spin article). Gave us such great performances...hopefully Aaron's out there, doing OK.

GulDukat
04-30-2015, 10:54 AM
I was not trying to 'bash' Scott with the video I posted...I hope someone close to him reaches out to him, and pulls him aside. He needs a break from all of this! He gave us such wonderful music and I feel a bit powerless about this, you know? I want Scott to get better. It's similar to how I feel about Aaron North (that depressing Spin article). Gave us such great performances...hopefully Aaron's out there, doing OK.
I don't think you were trying to "bash" Scott by posting that video. He looked pretty fucked-up and there's no denying that.

Scott couldn't even take off his jacket (@35 seconds):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=35&v=7HQ_eq6NXFY
It's just sad and painful to watch. Hopefully he will get some help. But like I said, he seemed much better the next night, so hopefully Tuesday's show was just a slip-up.

wight rabbit
04-30-2015, 11:29 AM
Man, Scott is one of my favorite vocalists/lyricists and to see him like this is such a drag. He looks like he's performing karaoke, but isn't very good at it. I hope he can put himself back together.

thevoid99
04-30-2015, 01:50 PM
He needs help. I don't blame the other guys for kicking him out of the band and use the STP name. They need to make money. I can understand that so I can at least forgive them for that.

W Axl Rose
04-30-2015, 02:09 PM
I might go see Weiland next Friday since it's only about a 90 minute drive and tix are $25. My beef is that on a solo tour,he neglects 12bb and HIG. Not even a single song from either,at least according to the setlists I saw. I understand he's promoting Blaster and most fans there probably wanna hear STP hits but it's ridiculous to play such short sets and not even a few songs from his previous solo albums. Still,he's in my top 5 favorite singers so I'll probably go.

GulDukat
04-30-2015, 02:18 PM
I might go see Weiland next Friday since it's only about a 90 minute drive and tix are $25. My beef is that on a solo tour,he neglects 12bb and HIG. Not even a single song from either,at least according to the setlists I saw. I understand he's promoting Blaster and most fans there probably wanna hear STP hits but it's ridiculous to play such short sets and not even a few songs from his previous solo albums. Still,he's in my top 5 favorite singers so I'll probably go.
Have fun if you go. I did notice that the Boston show was pretty short, about an hour. The STP show I saw on Tuesday was at least two hours long.

wight rabbit
04-30-2015, 05:35 PM
Hmmm... This COULD hold true: http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/30/stone-temple-pilots-scott-weiland-gasoline-video/

mfte
05-01-2015, 04:40 PM
Hmmm... This COULD hold true: http://www.tmz.com/2015/04/30/stone-temple-pilots-scott-weiland-gasoline-video/

He's has been the front man for major rock bands for over 20 years. If he was having problems hearing him self on stage I'm sure her has the experience and skillset to know how to address the issue. In an interview with Howard Stern a while back he did say that he liked to hit the wine bottle. From what it looks like here could be a bad reaction to booze and pills.

GulDukat
05-01-2015, 05:44 PM
Soundboard recording from 4/30--Scott sounds much, much better here:
https://soundcloud.com/always_ending/scott-weiland-the-wildabouts-varsity-theater-43015-vasoline-board-recording

W Axl Rose
05-01-2015, 09:21 PM
https://soundcloud.com/always_ending/scott-weiland-the-wildabouts-varsity-theater-43015-vasoline-board-recording

He sounds great here. Now I'm sure some genius will let us know this is not a legit live recording and it was touched up on a bus studio but this does give me hope for next Friday's show. I don't know much about hard drugs so if he was as bad off as people say,could he really have recovered in just a few days and turned things around 100%?

tony.parente
05-01-2015, 09:44 PM
Those vocals are an absolute lie.

wight rabbit
05-04-2015, 01:44 PM
He's has been the front man for major rock bands for over 20 years. If he was having problems hearing him self on stage I'm sure her has the experience and skillset to know how to address the issue. In an interview with Howard Stern a while back he did say that he liked to hit the wine bottle. From what it looks like here could be a bad reaction to booze and pills.

I was thinking it was more: bad in-ear + tired and intoxicated = really spaced out performance.

Reznor2112
05-04-2015, 02:38 PM
SW performed last night here in Memphis and a band I direct music videos for (Persevere) opened for them. They said he was in tune and on time and sounded fantastic.

People in the crowd were even talking about how great of a performance he put on.

scotty79
05-05-2015, 01:59 AM
Holy shit, that was bad, the other guys in the band must honestly be wondering how long that bands gonna last if that's the show that gets put on

GulDukat
05-09-2015, 07:28 PM
I'm watching a Velvet Revolver DVD now, from their 2008 tour and it's pretty awesome. Too bad this band broke up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1JwPFBz7k
Scott sounds and looks great. Velvet Revolver's two albums are a lot better than Slash's past few with Myles Kennedy or Scott's last one.

GulDukat
05-10-2015, 03:47 AM
Myles Kennedy = a non-asshole version of Scott Stapp

Remember a few years ago when G n' R got inducted into the hall of fame and Slash had Myles sing the G n' R stuff because Axl wasn't there? Talk about a slap in the face to their legacy. I don't care for Slash or his maudlin solo bullshit
I really liked Slash's first album, the one with multiple singers--Ozzy, Ian Astbury, Cornell, etc. Each singer brought something to the table and it was a true collaboration. Even the two with Kennedy were quite good. Slash's last two albums--they're not bad, but they are totally predictable. It's the same meat-and-potatoes hard-rock that Slash has been doing since the first Snakepit album, 20 years ago. Kennedy just enables Slash to be in his comfort zone. Slash needs someone like Weiland or Axl to help push him.

GulDukat
05-10-2015, 05:27 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5d_QHOGcW8&feature=youtu.be
New interview.

Twiggy
05-12-2015, 07:46 AM
It's like Scott is a different person on the Velvet Revolver DVD.... sounds amazing.

theruiner
05-12-2015, 08:26 AM
Man, it is really sad what's happened to Scott. I had the good fortune to see STP during their peak back in 2000 (they opened with "Dead and Bloated" and brought the house down; it was awesome) and also had the chance to see them in 08 and 09. In 08 it was very clear that Scott was drunk for about half the show (rambling incoherently, falling into the drum kit, screwing up lyrics) but then in the second half pulled it together. I remember at the time thinking, man, he's definitely not as good as he used to be, even in 09 when he (seemed to be) sober. But he still put on a good show, just not as good as he used to put on.

You know, when STP kicked him out a couple of years ago, I figured I probably wouldn't see them in concert anymore because, even though I understood why they had to do that, I just didn't really want to see them with a new singer. And I didn't want to see Scott playing STP songs with any other band (because I love those other guys, too, and it's just not the same without the four of them together). But now I've changed my mind. Though it still won't quite be the same, I am definitely going to see STP the next time they're in town. I would NEVER see Scott now. Ever. I'm sorry he's going through this and I hope he gets help but I have no interest in seeing him like this. I'd much rather see STP with a different singer who actually has energy and gives half a shit about putting on a good show.

Also, have been listening to "Purple" a lot the last few days. Such a great album. Still one of my favorite albums ever and my favorite from STP. If it weren't for "Army Ants" it would be a perfect album.

Maximilian
05-12-2015, 09:37 AM
Another recent Weiland interview. Even someone who didn't know who he is would think "this guy is on something...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=196&v=iHpf-F1Yh6o

ninsp
05-12-2015, 10:23 AM
I'm watching a Velvet Revolver DVD now, from their 2008 tour and it's pretty awesome. Too bad this band broke up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY1JwPFBz7k
Scott sounds and looks great. Velvet Revolver's two albums are a lot better than Slash's past few with Myles Kennedy or Scott's last one.

Wow. The late 2000s were not good to him. He sounds great there. His run in STP must've killed him.

Failure
05-12-2015, 12:43 PM
If it weren't for "Army Ants" it would be a perfect album.

Absolutely! I've been saying that for years and people always give me push back. Most STP fans seem to like that tune (even though it is an unfocused pile of dung). I also feel like "Ride The Cliche" has a similar effect on Tiny Music (i.e. one bad apple in a record full of gems).

theruiner
05-12-2015, 02:51 PM
Absolutely! I've been saying that for years and people always give me push back. Most STP fans seem to like that tuneWhat the? I don't understand how anyone can like it. It's awful. It's the only track on the entire album that I would call filler. And it is BIG TIME filler.

I also feel like "Ride The Cliche" has a similar effect on Tiny Music (i.e. one bad apple in a record full of gems).I like that song but it's definitely not one of my favorites from the album (I used to say the same about "Seven Caged Tigers" and then one day that song clicked with me and now I love it). To me the only bad song on the whole album is "Art School Girl." BLEH. Awful. The verses are ok but the chorus completely ruins it. Every other song on there- every single one- is fantastic.

Failure
05-12-2015, 03:21 PM
I like that song but it's definitely not one of my favorites from the album (I used to say the same about "Seven Caged Tigers" and then one day that song clicked with me and now I love it). To me the only bad song on the whole album is "Art School Girl." BLEH. Awful. The verses are ok but the chorus completely ruins it. Every other song on there- every single one- is fantastic.

I have loved "Seven Caged Tigers" ever since they played it acoustic on Howard Stern (92.3 K-Rock) in 1997. As for "Art School Girlfriend", I think that song is dumb fun (ala Naked Sunday, Pretty Penny, Dumb Love).

piggy
05-13-2015, 12:20 AM
Scott has bipolar disorder alongside his obvious drinking problem. I think what's going really wrong here is that he is mixing the BD meds with the alcohol and apparently he's been doing that for several years at this point. I don't know how it hasn't caught up with him yet. He keeps claiming that he's not on any illicit drugs these days, but who really knows anymore? Dude needs help either way.

ninsp
05-13-2015, 09:39 AM
Scott has bipolar disorder alongside his obvious drinking problem. I think what's going really wrong here is that he is mixing the BD meds with the alcohol and apparently he's been doing that for several years at this point. I don't know how it hasn't caught up with him yet. He keeps claiming that he's not on any illicit drugs these days, but who really knows anymore? Dude needs help either way.

I don't know, I have an uncle who Weiland reminds me of. At some point, you just go near brain dead. I think that's where Weiland's at, the drugs have done their damage.

piggy
05-14-2015, 12:51 AM
That's a good point. He's put enough substances into his body by now that he can't be fully functional.

GulDukat
05-14-2015, 07:49 AM
I have loved "Seven Caged Tigers" ever since they played it acoustic on Howard Stern (92.3 K-Rock) in 1997. As for "Art School Girlfriend", I think that song is dumb fun (ala Naked Sunday, Pretty Penny, Dumb Love).
I never listen to "Art School Girlfriend" randomly, but I think that it fits nicely on Tiny Music and is a fun, off-beat song. Love "Pretty Penny," very Zeppelin-esque. "Dumb Love" is a good song and gets SLDD off to a good start.

GulDukat
05-28-2015, 09:51 AM
New-ish interview with Dean and Chester. They talk about the new album and the current state of rock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_Ui5dPqLA

GulDukat
06-06-2015, 01:01 PM
Anyone buy Art of Anarchy's new self-titled album? It's alright. Not great, not bad. Sort of by-the-numbers late 90's/00's rock. I'm enjoying it, but it's not all that memorable. Good production, decent songs, Weiland makes it slightly better than your average middle-of-the-road modern rock album. I'd give it a 3/5. ETA--maybe 3.5/5 stars.

Reznor2112
06-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Watched the new(er) David Bowie documentary 5 Years on Showtime and it is GENUINELY scary how much Scott Weiland tries to be like Bowie. His mannerisms on stage, interviews, how he dresses, speaks, his hair...

Even looking back at the 90's, ie. the Sour Girl music video...has bowie written all over it.

kel
06-21-2015, 12:06 PM
purple is one of my favorite records, i worried that i'd wear my copy out so i had to kind of schedule when i'd play it. i love every song, even army ants. i like it a lot, actually. i had no idea it was so polarizing.

Piko
06-21-2015, 02:01 PM
I'm more of a fan of the stuff from the late 90s. Those albums don't get enough credit. Love Shangri La Dee Da.

piggy
06-21-2015, 10:09 PM
I've always liked "Army Ants", too. I never knew people hated it.

GulDukat
11-09-2015, 03:22 AM
Chester has left STP to focus on Linkin Park. Hardly a surprise. Saw Chester with STP twice and was very impressed, and I generally don't like Linkin Park. I enjoyed their EP and thought this lineup had some real potential.

Twiggy
11-09-2015, 04:49 AM
I still love the first three STP albums.
The other three with Weiland have there moments but I think they just lost there way a bit. I don't think Weiland helped at all.

I was hoping to see an album out of this new lineup but I'm not sure where the rest of STP go from here...

gorast
11-09-2015, 10:28 PM
Those three need to give it up and form some other project. Chester has always been 100% dedicated to LP, so if another project was getting in the way of that - even if it was a childhood dream of his - then that would be the one sent packing. I think they had a lot of potential with Chester, but the legal shit with Weiland and the glacial pace of their writing in the past few years (that EP seriously came out over two years ago and there's been nothing since). I probably wouldn't want to deal with Weiland either.

thevoid99
12-04-2015, 12:22 AM
I was thinking he had a few years left if he was able to get his shit together. Still, I'm just really gutted by this. Purple is my favorite STP album as my sister and I loved "Vaseline" as we knew the words to the song. "Big Empty" is my favorite song of theirs while I also love "Barbarella" that Scott did as it introduced me to The Man Who Fell to Earth. This one really fucking hurts.

Space Suicide
12-04-2015, 12:26 AM
Drugs, alcohol, who knows what. Not surprised due to his destructive life style and antics but I am surprised from the random occurrence. RIP.

piggy
12-04-2015, 12:38 AM
Yes, unsurprising, but somehow still shocking. I'm feeling pretty deflated right now. Really hoping that the STP moniker will be laid to rest at this point, as well. It just seems right after all that's happened to the legacy already.

GulDukat
12-04-2015, 12:52 AM
I saw Scott this past March in Boston and he put on a great show. I really thought that Scott was getting his life together and was surprised to hear he died. Loved his music, saw him many times live, this really sucks.

BrewHa
12-04-2015, 01:36 AM
Man, it's been one hell of a rough week. Scott was one of pioneers of the grunge genre and his legacy is cemented in music history. Sad to hear his demons got the best of him, life isn't easy no matter who you are. RIP

GulDukat
12-04-2015, 01:59 AM
Scott may be one of the most underrated singe/songwriters from the past 25 years. So many great songs and albums.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
12-04-2015, 02:02 AM
Such a shame :(. So many good songs I still rock out to to this day. RIP man <3.

dlb
12-04-2015, 02:30 AM
fuck that hits hard. really love this man and never had the chance to catch him live... not surprising but still a little out of nowhere. RIP Mr Weiland. :(

WorzelG
12-04-2015, 02:32 AM
I feel really sad about this, why did grunge seem to attract a lot of tragic figures?

GulDukat
12-04-2015, 06:10 AM
When I saw Scott this past March, I was maybe 10-15 away, same two years ago too. These shows take on new meaning for me now. So glad I attended.

Piko
12-04-2015, 07:14 AM
Can't say I'm really surprised by this. Still sucks a lot though. He was amazing and talented. He had his problems though.

cahernandez
12-04-2015, 07:59 AM
From Aaron Harris FB: "When I think of Scott Weiland I think of the time that Chino Moreno (https://www.facebook.com/chino.moreno.98) told me that he sang on the Deftones track "RX Queen." I had never noticed it, but after Chino told me about it, it's all I can hear in that song. Give it a listen and see if you can hear Scott. Such a distinct voice. RIP."

EndlessLoveless
12-04-2015, 08:01 AM
Yeah this one hurts. RIP brother, RIP.

tony.parente
12-04-2015, 08:02 AM
I'm so mad at Scott over this. What the fuck dude, what the FUCK.

Piko
12-04-2015, 08:05 AM
He was who he was. And he was also one of greatest rock vocalists of the 90s. He had his problems though. Maybe it just caught up to him. Years of using can take its toll. My argument to any who assume he overdosed. Been seeing a lot of OD remarks on facebook, etc. No one knows what happened. It's a damn shame though.

sweeterthan
12-04-2015, 08:17 AM
Core & purple will always be classics to me. So sad.

Piko
12-04-2015, 08:18 AM
Core & purple will always be classics to me. So sad.

They're all classics, imo. Listening to Shangri-la-dee-da now.

theruiner
12-04-2015, 08:26 AM
I was really sad to hear the news this morning. Scott made some of my favorite music of all time. I'm a huge STP fan, one of my top three favorite bands, their music is always in rotation on my stereo.

I was fortunate enough to be able to see them three times. I enjoyed all three shows, but the first one was the best. I saw them in 2000 and at the time I was a lapsed fan who was there for the other bands. I thought I would be kind of bored with their show but by the end of their opening song ("Dead and Bloated"...what an amazing way to start a show) I was a fan again. By the end I was completely in love. They blew the roof off the place, and being able to see them, and especially Scott, at their height was amazing.

The last two shows I saw with them I was really close to the stage (the first one on the floor, maybe 10 feet from the stage, the other being the third row when the played the fair of all places). Seeing Scott sing "Creep" just a few feet away from me is one of my favorite concert memories.

So, yeah. This sucks. I can't say I was shocked because I know he's battled addiction for years but it's still very sad. I was hoping that maybe he'd get his stuff together and reunite with STP at some point. My sister is a huge fan and never got the chance to see them live, so I was hoping maybe I could take her if they ever went back on tour together He used to be amazing live. Here's him at his absolute prime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIxkveUJEKU).

I'll be watching the STP live Blu-ray after work today, for sure, as well as probably listening to the first three albums over the weekend.

henryeatscereal
12-04-2015, 09:55 AM
Just heard "Tiny Music..." a couple of weeks ago and i still love that album, so sad to read these news today, he will be missed, RIP

Shadaloo
12-04-2015, 09:58 AM
Aw, fucking hell. :(

hellospaceboy
12-04-2015, 12:38 PM
I am an STP fan, but I have to say that 12 Bar Blues was his masterpiece (for me). It was so brave and experimental and personal.

Sad news indeed. RIP my friend.

Failure
12-04-2015, 01:01 PM
This one really hurts. I'll never forget April 19th, 2002. STP played at Trump Marina and they opened with "Shine On You, Crazy Diamond". Scott strolled out in a 3-piece, white suit smoking a cigarette. I don't think I've ever seen another man look so cool. Plus Layne Staley had just died and Scott said a couple words about that before breaking into "Still Remains" (which is one of the most underrated STP songs). I will also never forget May, 26th, 2004. Velvet Revolver played at Roseland Ballroom before Contraband even came out. The encore was "Negative Creep" by Nirvana which took a lot of balls. Scott absolutely nailed it. I don't think I've ever heard someone pull off Kurt so well.

He's obviously been in pretty rough shape over the past couple of years and the quality of voice deteriorated quite a bit (starting with Libertad). But it's still really tough to swallow. "Dying with your face on a t-shirt isn't all that original".

PS- I encourage anyone who hasn't heard it to go listen to the Limp Bizkit song "Hold On". I know, I know, LB is super lame. But that song kicks serious ass and it holds extra weight now. Scott wrote it with Wes Borland.

Tums206_BFY
12-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Today when I went on my 3 mile run the first song that played on my Pandora was "Big Empty" and later "Vasoline" came on; Very sad news. I wouldn't consider myself anything more than a casual fan but I had the pleasure of seeing them a few years ago at Memorial Stadium during Bumbershoot. It was an amazing show despite them coming on about 45 minutes late, Scott and the band was on point the whole night glad I got to see them. RIP Scott!

EndlessLoveless
12-04-2015, 01:46 PM
The first 3 albums were flawless, every song. No. 4 is good but thats where the albums started to slip a little for me. It had about 5 really strong tracks. Nevertheless, each album had its great songs. "Atlanta" from No.4 is in my top 5. I still love "Days of the week", "All in the suit that you wear", "Between the lines"....blah blah blah

Top 5:
1. Still Remains
2. Lounge Fly
3. Sin
4. Pops love suicide
5. Atlanta

Anyways, thanks for the soundtrack to my teens Scott. You will be missed.

theruiner
12-04-2015, 01:47 PM
..."Still Remains" (which is one of the most underrated STP songs).

That song is probably in my top five favorite STP songs. Absolutely beautiful.

They had so many underrated songs. "Kitchenware & Candybars," "Seven Caged Tigers," "Atlanta," among others.

henryeatscereal
12-04-2015, 02:06 PM
"Atlanta" is one of the greatest (and most underrated) STP songs, this live version always give me the goosebumps...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WiFB3pN_dgU

marodi
12-04-2015, 02:22 PM
It's just so incredibly sad. I can't put into words what I feel right now.

RIP Scott. You'll be sorely missed.

TheyCallMeDrug
12-04-2015, 02:27 PM
this seems like it was beyond inevitable. only part of this that's surprising to me was that he wasn't even 50 yet. at least he was able to put out some amazing music in his prime.

Exocet
12-04-2015, 03:01 PM
I thought Scott was doing better in recent years...not sure...he was always quite up and down...could never really tell.
always liked Core the most, not really a fan of the later stuff. apparently Core sold 13 Million albums in the U.S alone..had no idea they were that big....i never really understood why they were maligned so much by hipsters in 90s .. tracks like Sin and Plush are beautiful psychadelic tunes.

thetrivialsublime
12-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Man, when I was a kid growing up on grunge with 92.3 K-Rock, I was immediately drawn towards Stone Temple Pilots and Scott Weiland's voice in particular. To me, he was the ultimate "what-if" Kurt Cobain had lived longer scenario. They were contemporaries who struggled with substance abuse in the public eye, both lacking in that sort of vital way that keeps a person steady. Who knows, maybe it's the same fateful road that Trent got off of when he found sobriety?

In his prime, Scott had the most pure vocal talent of any lead rock frontman since Freddie Mercury. He could jump from hard rock, to blues, to grunge, to southern rock, to soft acoustic, to pop, to weird psychedelic stuff with ease. He's someone I was fortunate enough to see in person four times: twice with STP, once with Velvet Revolver, and once just a few days ago as a solo act in Montclair, NJ. His third final show ever!! Isn't that eerie? It wasn't one of those sad so-high-all-he-can-do-is-mumble performances, the man really rocked the roof off that place. Kinda gave me a lot of hope he was on the straight and narrow, aiming to reunite with VR or STP again. It's still so fresh in my mind, I'm having a hard time comprehending he's even really gone to be honest. I'm very grateful for seeing him perform in person, as I've always regretted never seeing Kurt play.

Scott struggled a lot, as we all do, but somehow through all that turmoil he left an extensive catalog of amazing work behind him that will live on.

Rest in peace, Scott.

dlb
12-04-2015, 03:17 PM
still quite confused why this one hurts me especially. it's pretty much the first time I see one of my most favorite musicians/singers pass while having witnessed alot of his output and been actively following. And there will be more to come I fear. It would have been a dream come true to see either VR or STP live and back in 2010 I was more than pysched to see STP come to Europe which unfortunately never happened... in addition to that it really bummed me out that the Wildabouts show in Munich has been cancelled as well. Another chance of seeing him missed. Scott, I guess this was not meant to heaven - thanks for the music and one hell of a ride, miss you already!

thevoid99
12-04-2015, 04:15 PM
This really fucking hurts as well. For someone that I'm sure many people here who grew up and listened to those bands in the 1990s. In 1994 alone, the albums I probably listened to the most from that year were The Downward Spiral, Purple, Superunknown, and MTV Unplugged in New York. The first 3 were albums that I listened to all summer on my cassette walkman. They were all different in what they offered. Soundgarden was more hard rock while STP were just straight-up rock n' roll. I never understood why they were perceived as Pearl Jam wannabes which I thought was totally false. They sounded nothing like Pearl Jam and I'm sure the guys in Pearl Jam would say the same thing.

It wasn't just the songs that were good as Purple is my favorite album of theirs and it still fucking holds up. Someone said that w/o Scott, STP was just another band and that person is right. Anyone remember the band Talk Show that the guys in STP did with another singer? I thought it was mediocre and couldn't hold a candle to what the band were doing with Scott. "Barbarella" is still one of my all-time favorite songs ever. Here are my 10 favorite songs from Scott:

1. Big Empty
2. Barbarella
3. Sex Type Thing
4. Sour Girl
5. Slither
6. Fall to Pieces
7. Vasoline
8. Trippin on a Hole in a Paper Heart
9. Plush (acoustic)
10. Pretty Penny

Thank you Scott. You will be missed.

Hazekiah
12-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Talk SMACK all you want, Weiland was EASILY among the best performers I've EVER seen.

The guy was fucking AWESOME, damnit.

DEAD AND BLOATED, bitches.

\m/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBlKueoD46I

elevenism
12-04-2015, 04:55 PM
Oh my god, no!

allegro
12-04-2015, 05:44 PM
I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by this. He has been fired by every band he was in, some more than once, he has been in a downward spiral for most of his life save for a few times he tried to get his shit together. He died doing what he liked doing.

GulDukat
12-04-2015, 05:54 PM
They're all classics, imo. Listening to Shangri-la-dee-da now.
Totally underrated album. "Hello, it's Late," is one of the best songs STP ever recorded.

elevenism
12-04-2015, 05:55 PM
I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by this.
Not surprised. I'm saddened.

They weren't my favorite band by a long shot, but they are part of the soundtrack of my formative years @allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) . I was 12. 13. It was Pearl Jam, Tool, Primus, AIC, STP, NIN, type o, Nirvana, soundgarden, smashing punkins, the breeders, the lemonheads, Jane's Addiction.
It was a big deal and his death actually made me cry a bit

Long Term Junkie Overdoses is hardly a rare headline.
It just breaks my heat a little. It's about where and when i was exposed to them, you know? I saw them live in 93 with the Meat Puppets. I was only 13 and it was a magical time. Sigh.

marodi
12-04-2015, 05:56 PM
I'm surprised that so many of you are surprised by this.

I hope against hope his death has nothing to do with drugs; if I'm surprised, is that he lasted this long.

In the second half of the 90s, I used to wake up every morning expecting to hear that one of my favorite artists had died: Scott Weiland, Dave Gahan, Trent Reznor and RDJ. I was sure none of them would see the new millennium.

So I'm not really surprised but it still fucking hurt. He had so much talent...

allegro
12-04-2015, 05:58 PM
I hope against hope his death has nothing to do with drugs; if I'm surprised, is that he lasted this long.

In the second half of the 90s, I used to wake up every morning expecting to hear that one of my favorite artists had died: Scott Weiland, Dave Gahan, Trent Reznor and RDJ. I was sure none of them would see the new millennium.

So I'm not really surprised but it still fucking hurt. He had so much talent...
There was cocaine on the bus, and they arrested some dude with cocaine.

kel
12-04-2015, 06:02 PM

They weren't my favorite band by a long shot, but they are part of the soundtrack of my formative years @allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) . I was 12. 13. It was Pearl Jam, Tool, Primus, AIC, STP, NIN, type o, Nirvana, soundgarden, smashing punkins, the breeders, the lemonheads, Jane's Addiction.
It was a big deal and his death actually made me cry a bit

Long Term Junkie Overdoses is hardly a rare headline.
It just breaks my heat a little. It's about where and when i was exposed to them, you know? I saw them live in 93 with the Meat Puppets. I was only 13 and it was a magical time. Sigh.

we're the same age and were probably watching alternative nation at the same time.

like you, not surprised. also like you, sad to hear this.

allegro
12-04-2015, 06:02 PM

Welllll ... Jane's predates them by a LOT (first album = 1987, second album = 1989), but let's not nitpick, and we ALL lived through that period and can wax nostalgic about everybody who has died from that Alternative Nation period (there were a lot) so let's not go all Ego, here, but face it, he is one of many Rock Drug Deaths and a lot of his band mates (a) had given up on him and (b) saw this coming.

marodi
12-04-2015, 06:04 PM
There was cocaine on the bus, and they arrested some dude with cocaine.

*sigh*

I also feel terrible for his family.

allegro
12-04-2015, 06:14 PM
*sigh*

I also feel terrible for his family.

He's from a different time where people feel differently about it.

If Nikki Sixx died of an OD in the 80s (which he technically DID once but was revived and notoriously went home and changed his answering machine message: "hello, this is Nikki, I'm dead"), we would have talked about his career but toasted him. If Ozzy had OD'd, same thing. But by the time Alternative Nation rolled around, and 10 Alternative Nation people OD'd, people somehow kept hoping that these people would change and start acting like accountants? That's why I don't think people "get" how big it is for guys like Navarro and Reznor to be clean this long in the world of Sex and Drugs and Rock n Roll (and Fame and Money).

Piko
12-04-2015, 06:20 PM
Totally underrated album. "Hello, it's Late," is one of the best songs STP ever recorded.

My favorite song might be Regeneration. Only song I don't really like is Days of the Week. Meh. The rest is pretty good.

Talk about an omen. I was listening to no. 4 when I wrecked my car... And I listened to some Velvet Revolver last night as well. Then I find out about Scott when I woke up this morning. Surreal shit.

Really hoped for a reunion with STP and some point. At least he left us with an amazing catalogue.

elevenism
12-04-2015, 06:23 PM
i know what you mean @allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) , and i DAMN sure saw it coming.
But watch this and tell me it doesn't make you a little sad. Also, i think Ego is a HUGE part of it-because it causes a "People " to reflect on its OWN mortality

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe7m1VzD2Fk

edit: just so you know, i wasn't using "a people" to talk about a certain group in any way.
I'm just being insanely utterly goofy. you know, i'm a people, @c0f3d (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=420) is a people, @allegro (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=76) is a people.
I'm pretty sure @marodi (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=125) is the only person here who knows how goofy i really am.

And often, the sadder i am, the goofier things i will say

SarahConnor
12-04-2015, 06:38 PM
Does anyone live that hard anymore? Seems like the current gen have better habits or better PR.

allegro
12-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Does anyone live that hard anymore? Seems like the current gen have better habits or better PR.
No, I think "The Osbournes" was too much for everybody and everybody went to rehab and started getting wheatgrass colonics after that.

GulDukat
12-04-2015, 07:32 PM
Velvet Revolver released two cool concert dvds, one from 2004 and the other 2008. I'l post some clips when I am on an actual computer. VR's STP renditions were pretty sweet. And Scott was awesome on "Patience."

elevenism
12-04-2015, 08:09 PM
IDK though.
Do you listen to hip hop?
"Somethin' bout Mary, she gone off that Molly/Now the whole party is meltin' like Dali" --Kanye West on "Mercy"

"MDMA got you feelin' like a champion/The city never sleeps but it'll slip you an Ambien" --Jay-Z on "Empire State of Mind"
"Coke on her black skin made a stripe like a zebra" Watch the Throne on "No Church in the WIld"
Two white cups and I got that drank/Might be purple, might be pink/Dependin' on how you mix that shit" --Drake on "I'm on One"
"Enough Oxycontin to send a fuckin' ox to rehab" --Eminem on "Underground"
"I can mingle with the stars and throw a party on Mars/I am a prisoner, locked up behind Xanax bars" --Lil Wayne on "I Feel Like Dying"
Oxycontin - Xanax Bars - Percocet and Lortab Valiums - Morphine -patches - Ecstasy - and it's all up for grabsWhat'cha want - what'cha need - hit me up I got you man-Lil White on "Oxy Cotton"
Then you got pop songs as blatant as "I can't feel my face" by the weekend and High by the Beach by Lana Del Ray.
Or how about Kendrick Lamar? Chance the Rapper? Tove Lo? Tiesto? Sia? Ke$ha? Miley Cyrus?

So i guess my answer is Hell Yes, people still live that hard and sing about it and encourage others to do so too.
I find it to be pretty sickening. I mean, i LOVE the lil white song, but what if i was 10 or 11 and trying to figure out what drugs were right for me, safe for me to try? And little wayne is singing "I treat that medicine like peppermints." Or how about Tyler, the Creator in "Yonkers" saying "i slipped myself sum pink xannies" and " made it home to catch sum damn adventure time" which is a show for kids.

So it's safe and pleasurable to take SOME (not one) benzodiazapines (which is, in my opinion, the most dangerous class of drug, the only one that features deadly withdrawals) and watch A FUCKING CARTOON SHOW. and he also kind of implies that you shouldn't tell yer therapist about it.

So i guess what i am saying is that HELL YES people live that hard. But instead of coke, they snort Molly which is HOPEFULLY mdma but god knows what in the hell is in any given batch (yes, i know from experience.)
They eat shrooms, but not the cow shit kind, the lab kind.
And kids these days tend to be REALLY into prescription drugs.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

Hazekiah
12-04-2015, 11:50 PM
"Adventure Time" is a show for children of ALL ages.

And I think it's safe to say that if you're 10 or 11 and trying to decide which drugs are for you, then you're probably going to find them regardless of which pop artists you enjoy.

elevenism
12-04-2015, 11:57 PM
"Adventure Time" is a show for children of ALL ages.

And I think it's safe to say that if you're 10 or 11 and trying to decide which drugs are for you, then you're probably going to find them regardless of which pop artists you enjoy.
Whatever the case may be @Hazekiah (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=1162) , my point still stands. The "new generation" of pop stars still does drugs.

I'm damn sure not advocating for censorship. I guess i was kind of thinking out loud there-it's a tricky question.
Just for the record, OFWGKTA kicks ass.

Now. Back on point.
I think this is the best STP song
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kHt3JkyC9Y
And i'm damned glad i got to see them in 93. If you've ever been to the Starplex in dallas, you know there's a huge lawn behind the seats. And the lawn tickets are cheep. It's a cool venue, and i assume it must have been scott's first time there, because he said "This is really cool! So what, if you have the lawn seats, you sit back there and take mushrooms and make out?"
And everyone cheered.

Hazekiah
12-05-2015, 02:07 AM
We'll, yeah...I wasn't saying current pop artists don't do drugs, should be censored, or anything like that.

I'm just saying INEVITABLE is INEVITABLE.

If kids wanna find drugs they will.

It's not the fault of the artist who's expressing himself, ffs.

elevenism
12-05-2015, 05:43 AM
We'll, yeah...I wasn't saying current pop artists don't do drugs, should be censored, or anything like that.

I'm just saying INEVITABLE is INEVITABLE.

If kids wanna find drugs they will.

It's not the fault of the artist who's expressing himself, ffs.
No it sounded like I was advocating for some kind of censorship. It was my bad!

So when i saw them in 13 or 14, they played Vasoline, SilvergunSuperman, Crackerman, Loungefly, Meatplow, and Still Remains. Then they brought out like a living room set-up. It was so strange, but effective. It was around the height of the popularity of the unplugged thing. And they sat down and played Pretty Penny, Creep, Andy Warhol, Army Ants, Big Empty and POSSIBLY Interstate Love Song and Plush, all acoustic and slightly rearranged. I'm looking at a setlist, obviously, and i'm trying to remember what songs they played "unplugged," and i might be off by a couple. They finished up with unglued, dead and bloated, and sex type thing. This was either the summer of 93 or 94. How many of you guys saw this strange show?

Dr Channard
12-05-2015, 09:15 AM
Core and Purple were definitely part of the soundtrack of my youth. While the productions that came afterward never much resonated with me personally, I never lost appreciation for the range and quality of Scott’s voice.

Does anyone live that hard anymore?

I don’t know. But man, it does feel like the musical figures that loomed large for me growing up (Layne, Peter, Kurt, and now Scott) are disappearing too soon. And I’m sorry if this is selfish or judgmental, but for the natural talent they had, they wasted too much of it on that lifestyle.

GulDukat
12-05-2015, 09:51 AM
I listened to Velvet Revolver's debut Contraband last night and forgot how much that album rocked.

dlb
12-05-2015, 11:00 AM
VR is definitely underrated. Libertad was a bit hit and miss, but contraband is one of my all time balls out rock n roll records. I actually remember the day I bought it coming right from the dentist in 2004. :D

GulDukat
12-05-2015, 11:06 AM
VR is definitely underrated. Libertad was a bit hit and miss, but contraband is one of my all time balls out rock n roll records. I actually remember the day I bought it coming right from the dentist in 2004. :D
I thought Contraband had better singles, but front-to-back, Libertad was a better album, as the songs had a little more melody. There is a DVD titled Let it Roll from the 2008 tour which is great and worth checking out.

Piko
12-05-2015, 11:13 AM
I like Libertad more. Weiland's influence shows a little more on that one. Contraband was more safe, and straightforward. Libertad was the band, as a unit, opposed to a collaboration album. Both are good though.

GulDukat
12-05-2015, 11:17 AM
I know there are a few songs that were not on either album. A compilation of those songs, like "Messages" along with maybe some demos, live tracks, etc. would be cool.

Your Name Here
12-05-2015, 11:29 AM

Maximilian
12-05-2015, 11:37 AM
I'm kind of bummed that he played a club here earlier this year and I didn't go. Always admired his vocals and even his wacky dancing. Also, no one did the megaphone cooler than Weiland.

GulDukat
12-05-2015, 12:28 PM
I can't even listen to his music right now and I love his music.
I was listening to his music yesterday and that's when it started to sink in. His work has been part of my musical vocabulary for over 20 years and now he's gone, forever.

GulDukat
12-05-2015, 01:35 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrOgRDsPnH0

Your Name Here
12-05-2015, 02:26 PM

theruiner
12-05-2015, 03:06 PM
I was listening to his music yesterday and that's when it started to sink in.
I was watching their live DVD this morning and when they got to "Plush" it kind of hit me: we'll never get to hear him sing that again.

So incredibly sad. I can't overstate how special STP has been for me over the last almost 20 years that I've been a fan. I kind of almost wish I had seen him the last time he came out here solo, just as a show of support for someone I was a huge fan of. I avoided it because from everything I had seen it seemed like the shows were pretty bad. I heard that they were starting to get better, though. Very glad I had the opportunity to see him and STP a few times.

GulDukat
12-05-2015, 03:20 PM
When all is said and done, he really did leave a great legacy. Classic STP will be around for a long time.

ldopa
12-05-2015, 03:27 PM
i was in 4th or 5th grade and i saw him perform 'crackerman' live on TV in a silver dress, fishnets, and an orange wig. i was forever changed. and now forever grateful.

ziltoid
12-05-2015, 04:24 PM
https://youtu.be/64_qnMmpqdg
This hits me too damn hard. Especially since I covered Big Empty at my high school talent show years ago.
I share many fond memories with friends while listening to STP. They were greatly influential to me while growing up.
There is now an emptiness with Scotts passing.

Rest In Peace and thank you for all the great music and memories Scott.

elevenism
12-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I struggled with the same addiction problems he had. Although it took me twenty years to quit heroin and cocaine and to understand my addictive nature of leaving one addiction for another I eventually got clean. It was hard and there are times even to this day I just want to dive into a mountain of blow and then get faded, but I don't because I know what the outcome will be. I have lost many good friends to addiction and we always say "you have two choices you can quit or die" and some of my friends chose the later.
I feel like Scott and I were the same in so many ways we are both huge Bowie fans and we knew the ways of addiction and we both had our asses kicked by our addictions.

Ahh, so are you a fellow (ex) speedballer? I'm SOOOOO fucking lucky that i have bad veins-otherwise i'm sure i'd be dead. But i always had to have someone hit me, which meant i was buying, which meant i obviously couldn't get high every day.
Coke and heroin just make you feel way too fucking good, especially mixed.
Why does the best feeling in the world have to be fucking russian roulette?

Hazekiah
12-06-2015, 01:43 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qe7m1VzD2Fk/

OMFG, what an EXQUISITELY delicate performance.

:'(

GulDukat
12-07-2015, 07:25 PM
This is a really good unreleased song from the 'Happiness in Galoshes' album. No idea why it was left off because it was one of the best songs from that album, IMHO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iVfxZe4kcw

Archive_Reports
12-08-2015, 10:32 AM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207

God damn.

sweeterthan
12-08-2015, 12:34 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/scott-weiland-s-family-dont-glorify-this-tragedy-20151207

God damn.

A brutal and honest read for sure. My heart really feels for her and her children. Her words sting and are filled with sorrow. It's just too sad that any child has to feel the feelings addressed.

Hazekiah
12-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Wellll, in all fairness...it's not exactly as if his history wasn't WELL documented before they started having kids together.

Still sucks for the kids, of course. Just sayin'.

But, yeah. It's a pretty sad story.

Ugh. At least his son Noah got to share this...not...awful...in...hindsight...at...all...m oment with his dad, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXUYSJLY-_M

:-\

implanted_microchip
12-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Wellll, in all fairness...it's not exactly as if his history wasn't WELL documented before they started having kids together.

:-\

I don't think you mean it to come off this way at all, but that seems incredibly dismissive and a little on the victim-blaming side of things. Just because you know someone has flaws doesn't mean you don't love them, or hope they can overcome them, and if we all only ever opened ourselves up to people who are problem-free and perfect then we'd never open up to anyone. Besides, none of that article seemed to be built around making anyone feel bad for her -- it seemed to focus entirely on the impact these issues have on children and what we can all (hopefully) do to at the very least alleviate those issues for innocent and at-risk kids who never signed up for an emotionally distant and in turn abusive/damaging addict of a parent.

I've not chimed in on any of this much since I have zero connection to STP and I honestly wouldn't recognize any of their music if you played it for me and didn't tell me who it was, but it's a tragic loss nonetheless and reading that article which I saw last night really impacted me. A lot of what she says could apply to a lot of artists I think most of us are aware of, and it has a lot of good to say about why we should never mythologize and idolize this sort of behavior and these sorts of issues. It's incredibly sad to hear that this man was never able to get himself together and be a healthy parent and healthy individual and hopefully someone out there dealing with similar issues will have this wake them up to their need for help before they end up in the same situation.

Space Suicide
12-08-2015, 06:17 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7WPVSd5Eoo

Twiggy
12-09-2015, 08:58 AM
I feel sorry for her and the kids but I don't think she and Scott had the best track record before the kids arrived. But I guess its the life they lived. I'm sure he wanted to spend more time with his family. Who knows the truth really...
We all have problems and I think most people refer to Scott as still feeling like a person who didn't fit in with anyone else, alone. He talks about it in some of his interviews in the past.

I had tickets to see them for their last album tour back but couldn't go as I had to head home from Europe back to Australia for a wedding. But I wish I did...

Such a great talent and shame he couldn't keep it together. Same thing happened to Layne Staley probably my other most favourite singer of our generation.

God damn.

ghostaustin
12-09-2015, 09:44 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flPQabj1bRo

I came here to post one of my favorite unreleased STP tracks, and while searching for it, found out that Scott re-worked it and released it as a solo single. I'm kinda disappointed in myself that I didn't realize that, and that I haven't really delved into Scott's solo work despite being a die-hard STP fan.

Space Suicide
12-09-2015, 09:56 PM
TMZ obtained a copy of the search warrant Bloomington, MN cops got to search Weiland's bus after his death — and it shows they found at least 2 bags of a white substance. They've already said that substance tested positive for cocaine.

Also on the bus — a generic version of Xanax, 2 different brands of sleeping pills, Buprenorphine … a synthetic opiate painkiller, and Viagra. There was also Ziprasidone … which is used to treat bipolar disorder and schizophrenia. Scott was diagnosed as bipolar in 2001.

There it is.

GulDukat
12-10-2015, 04:48 AM
There it is.
Yeah, it does appear like it was an OD. When I saw him this year, he was in better shape than he was two years ago, so I had really hoped he was going easy on that shit and getting his life together.

On another note, I am listening to his final album now, Art of Anarchy's self-titled debut, and it's not bad. It's a little generic, but Weiland did the best he could with the material and his personality, craftsmanship and ability to create strong melodies make this a better-than-average, modern sounding rock album.

GulDukat
12-24-2015, 06:49 AM
Free download of Art of Anarchy's album, Scott's final project.
http://anothercentury.com/host/ArtOfAnarchy/download/

GulDukat
12-24-2015, 11:44 AM

ETA--this sounds good:

I posted this a few months back and that's how I felt then. I kind of thought they would release a new album with Chester and one day Scott would return. Now, with the departure of Chester and the death of Weiland, I think they should retire the band, or at least the name and leave the legacy alone. I think they had potential with Chester, but it didn't work out, and it would be a mistake to go with a third singer. I would be interested in new music from the DeLeo brothers, but Stone Temple Pilots died with Scott.

october_midnight
01-29-2016, 11:01 AM
The harrowing last months of Scott Weiland. (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/6859089/scott-weiland-final-months-friends-family-talk-mental-illness-family-struggles)

GulDukat
01-30-2016, 02:24 PM
The harrowing last months of Scott Weiland. (http://www.billboard.com/articles/news/magazine-feature/6859089/scott-weiland-final-months-friends-family-talk-mental-illness-family-struggles)
Yeah, I read that. Just such a shame. He had a new band, was recently remarried, and seemed sober, at most shows. I thought he was turning his life around.

W Axl Rose
02-05-2016, 12:50 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stone-temple-pilots-launch-open-audition-for-new-singer-20160205

thevoid99
02-05-2016, 03:31 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stone-temple-pilots-launch-open-audition-for-new-singer-20160205

https://imgflip.com/s/meme/Captain-Picard-Facepalm.jpg

henryeatscereal
02-05-2016, 05:11 PM
Can't blame them for trying, they deserve a second chance because they are very talented guys, but very few bands survive the death of their lead singer...

GulDukat
02-05-2016, 06:25 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/stone-temple-pilots-dean-deleo-talks-singer-search-were-up-for-it-20160205?page=3

New interview.

thevoid99
02-05-2016, 08:15 PM
Yeah but didn't they try that almost 20 years ago as Talk Show?

W Axl Rose
02-05-2016, 09:46 PM
They should just be Stone Temple Pilots featuring (insert new singer here) like they were with Chester.

GulDukat
02-06-2016, 06:11 AM
Good luck to them. Not crazy about getting some unknown, via the Internet. If they insist on using the name, at least go with an established singer, imho.

thevoid99
05-02-2016, 10:32 PM
And Scott Stapp is now claiming he might be STP's new singer but the band denies it: http://www.avclub.com/article/scott-stapp-hints-hes-stone-temple-pilots-new-sing-236152

https://cdn.meme.am/instances/35551615.jpg

Piko
05-03-2016, 09:14 AM
If that were to happen, STP would be dead to me. Then again, it kinda is now.