PDA

View Full Version : Eurovision 2013

slave2thewage
05-16-2013, 06:15 AM
The madness is upon us once again. Second semi-finals are tonight. My personal highlights of the first were the Irish drummers (oh my) and that ridiculous Lithuanian song about his shoes.

Alexandros
05-16-2013, 06:25 AM
Really, that Lithuanian guy didn't know what to do with himself on stage, he seemed really awkward.

From the first semi-final I think the Dutch song is by far the best. Also, it was fun seeing Anouk in an entirely different context!

I won't be able to watch the final, but I think watching the two semi-finals is probably enough.

Finally, what's with the new voting system, where only the countries participating in each semi-final can vote on that particular semi-final? Is this an ill-conceived attempt to break alliances? (Btw, no Balkan countries through to the final!!) Is it to save time? What?

slave2thewage
05-16-2013, 12:54 PM
There's far too many ballads this year and not enough batshit insanity. I'll be voting for Finland's casual misogyny.

scorpiusdiamond
05-16-2013, 04:35 PM
Lalalalala, not reading. God damn it, I had to be playing a gig the night of Eurovision didn't I? Literally had it as a tradition the past couple of years to get beyond drunk watching it and get way too into it.
Enjoy everyone, I'll be doing it two hours after everyone else, hoping I won't get spoiled.

slave2thewage
05-16-2013, 05:36 PM
That Romanian entry is one of the greatest things I've ever witnessed. Along with the pro-gay Finnish song.

Shaking my head that Malta, Armenia and Hungary got in though.

miss k bee
05-16-2013, 05:42 PM
I like watching it while drunk, went to two Eurovision events two years ago but my friend didn't get it.

ambergris
05-18-2013, 05:37 AM
I watched the first half of the second semi-finals but there was a lot of rather forgettable stuff. I got tired fast. Romania's song is ...something. I dislike our (Germany) song, bad copy of "Euphoria", bad lyrics, uninspired production.

wizfan
05-18-2013, 07:03 AM
Romania's my favorite. You can't go wrong with a dubstep vampire that swallowed Tarja Turunen.

Also, Greece's song is fun, too; one of the few that have actual instruments.

staleincense
05-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Ah, Eurovision. How I similtaneously love and loathe you. I love you for providing me an oppurtunity to have a laugh at the rest of Europe's expense, and be witty on Twitter and internet forums. I loathe you for the actual musical ability of your contestants.

This year I've so far completely ignored it, haven't listened to any of the songs yet (except for ours which has been played on the radio) so I've got no idea what's coming my way. Other than bloc voting and sexual ambiguity, that is. :p

slave2thewage
05-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Bonnie Tyler being pissed was hilarious.

Sutekh
05-18-2013, 03:46 PM
was she drunk? I got bored

Romania = clear winners and a fine example

MAD
05-18-2013, 03:57 PM
^ AWwww man, that guy looks and sings like a bunch of sticks.

Sutekh
05-18-2013, 04:03 PM
100% eurovison insanity though... brostep with an all the way male falsetto vocal, with a stage prop nicked from marilyn manson... top marks

slave2thewage
05-18-2013, 04:06 PM
I feel the need to point out that we (Ireland) should get votes just for pandering to the gays with the hot drummers.

Sutekh
05-18-2013, 05:36 PM
Ireland = robbed

I think next year is time for the nuclear option - deploy the divine comedy doing "my lovely horse"

slave2thewage
05-18-2013, 06:04 PM
Oh, we were shafted big time. We wouldn't have won but I thought we'd end up in the mid/late teens. Christ, even the ridiculous Lithuanian song beat ours.

Fangster_
05-18-2013, 06:21 PM
You guys had tribal. TRIBAL. Sweden was a bit homoerotic, Ireland just gay as sin. Sorry. (not that there's anything wrong blah blah...)

DING DONG HOT GURLS KISSING

But yeah, even with that we couldn't get the job done. As usual. Should stick with big-ass monsters and hellfire.

slave2thewage
05-18-2013, 10:30 PM
I think next year we should send Jedward but have them sing with Cezar from Romania.

ambergris
05-19-2013, 05:39 AM
I voted for Norway. Germany got what it deserved.

Edit: Germany gave 12 points to Hungary... no wonder, because the singer looked like a Berlin hipster.

slave2thewage
05-19-2013, 08:02 AM
Hungary always send the worst songs in, just like Georgia always sends a dull-as-fuck ballad. I seriously think ballads should be banned from the Eurovision. BUT WO IST DIE CAMP?

scorpiusdiamond
05-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Aw, I liked Hungary. My favourite was Norway, it was almost almost industrial sounding.
Other favourites were Sweden, Greece (oh hell yeah, I bet Greece were terrified being that high up!), Belgium, and yeah, Ireland were pretty damn good.
Hats off to Sweden's production... that was a pretty amazing show. Just sucked I couldn't watch it live and drunk... got to skip the voting part of it though which is only fun whilst heavily intoxicated.
Just sad I have to wait a whole year for the next one now...

wizfan
05-19-2013, 04:42 PM
(oh hell yeah, I bet Greece were terrified being that high up!)

Yes, we were.

slave2thewage
05-11-2014, 09:40 AM
These threads are failing on new ETS :(

This year's final was great. Queen Conchita rightfully slayed, but I was a bit shocked at that Dutch song doing so well. The booing at Russia...

Details and rumours already for next year's contest:
- Belarus are trying to get Alexander Ryback.
- Ireland's act "will be selected internally", as in by the network.
- It's apparently definitely happening in Vienna.

scorpiusdiamond
05-15-2014, 08:15 PM
Watched it at the club I work in. Amazing. Through a full PA and everything. Super cool. If you have the chance to watch it with strangers next year I thoroughly recommend it.

ophelia_
05-15-2014, 09:08 PM
How that Dutch song did so well is a mystery to me. AND THE WAY THE GUY KEPT STARING INTO THE CAMERA, STOP IT!

Booing at Russia was to be expected I guess. And the jokes about invading the Ukraine performers when they were on stage.

Definitely going to try and get to Austria next year for Eurovision. Fingers crossed it's in Vienna, such a beautiful city.

ambergris
05-16-2014, 01:43 PM
The dutch song was just a countrified version of Police's Every Breath You Take. I don't get it either. I was disappointed by the mediocre result for the Spanish song. Conchita's song was one of the maybe five songs that I thought were worthy winners. This was the first time I watched the semi-finals as well, and while on first listen you really think that most of it is trash, once you listen to the songs two or three times, you realise that most of them have at least some appeal. Our german song did worse than I had previously thought. But then the live performance wasn't good. It was a song for a smaller venue and the singer didn't hit the deep notes.

ambergris
05-22-2015, 05:58 AM
I think my vote will go to Latvia this year. It was obviously inspired by FKA Twigs. It's musically the most daring song there. But where is the gay vote going to? Apparently, Sweden? I thought the fat Serbian also had some potential.