PDA

View Full Version : Under the Dome

elevenism
05-11-2013, 08:26 AM
Thought i'd post on this since it's coming up soon, and i can't fucking wait.

It's a thirteen part series based on Stephen King's behemoth of a novel, which weighs in at over 1000 pages.
This is one of my favorite books of the past several years...hell, make that ever, so i'm very excited about it, as it appears that King himself was heavily involved, sharing screenwriting credits with Brian K Vaughn, who also wrote for Lost.
King is also an executive producer. This is great news to me, because, as many of you may know, Stephen King more often than not has just sold his movie rights and not looked back, with many lackluster results.
I'm a bit disappointed because it originally appeared that Stephen Spielberg would be directing, but from the information available now, it appears that various directors will direct the 13 episodes. The Amblin name, however, is still attached.

Here's the "first look"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StdpKu50sZg

And here is the first full trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyDMR1zrulQ

This thing launches June 24 on CBS. I, for one, can't fucking believe that something this cool is actually happening...now i'm just praying it lives up to its source material.

slave2thewage
06-03-2013, 05:16 PM
I read the book over the course of the last week and thought it was brilliant. This looks like a bit of a mess tbh, but it may just be a poorly edited trailer. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

slave2thewage
06-26-2013, 09:46 PM
OMG, so many changes from the book already.

Jinsai
06-26-2013, 10:21 PM
OMG, so many changes from the book already.

Really? I haven't been watching, but I've been meaning to catch up. I really loved the book. It stands out as one of his better recent ones... but why would they change stuff? Surely there's enough time to cover everything, even if the book felt overlong and could have used some trimming, and there's nothing in there that can't be cleaned up for TV.

At least not that I remember. I thought it was relatively tame for a Stephen King book.

Emil Dorbell
06-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Just watched the first episode and pretty much loved it. It has that Stephen King atmosphere all over it. Never read the book though.

slave2thewage
06-27-2013, 08:00 AM
Really? I haven't been watching, but I've been meaning to catch up. I really loved the book. It stands out as one of his better recent ones... but why would they change stuff? Surely there's enough time to cover everything, even if the book felt overlong and could have used some trimming, and there's nothing in there that can't be cleaned up for TV.

At least not that I remember. I thought it was relatively tame for a Stephen King book.
The opposite - apparently they're changing it so they can show more of life in the Mill. Suddenly, it's now an actual show instead of the mini-series we were told about.

Mech
06-27-2013, 09:40 AM
Didn't know this started yet. Hope it reruns!

Deepvoid
06-27-2013, 10:40 AM
I really liked the pilot. Some of the characters will definitely be interesting.
I haven't read the whole book yet (lazy me).

How many episodes have they ordered? 13 I think?

october_midnight
06-27-2013, 10:43 AM
Sat through the pilot...another casualty of the long-running pattern of good/great King novels that translate to a mess on the screen.

Jan
06-27-2013, 10:13 PM
I can't believe Rusty is on the outside of the dome. He was such a major player in the novel. So far too many changes for me. But that happens when translated to film. Had high hopes because King has so much say in the TV show. I'll still watch, but I'm already disappointed.

Trains
06-29-2013, 04:09 AM
Potential spoilers.

So it's a couple of years now since I read this, but I don't remember Barbie killing and burying some dude at the beginning. As protagonists go, he was fairly clean in the book, right?

fillow
06-29-2013, 04:47 AM
I've only read cast at series' wikipedia page and even that shows that it's gonna be much different from the book.

slave2thewage
06-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Potential spoilers.

So it's a couple of years now since I read this, but I don't remember Barbie killing and burying some dude at the beginning. As protagonists go, he was fairly clean in the book, right?Yeah, he was basically some n00b in town working at the diner and then Junior and his dickhead friends beat him up.

elevenism
07-01-2013, 08:33 PM
Didn't know this started yet. Hope it reruns!
you can buy the first episode on amazon streaming for 1.99, which is what i had to do as i was away in dallas. JUST started it. the second episode starts in about 20 min on cbs.

as far as it not being like the book, i'm grateful that i read it when it came out because ive forgotten half of it.
my fiancee on the other hand, just read it, and she's pissed off 4 min in. :p

Dragoro
07-01-2013, 09:40 PM
The book was one big bs political statement. The series is even worse. When I read horror novels, I read em to escape from this world, not have the authors political opinion shoved down my throat. Under the Dome is probably the worst book King has written, thank God for his son Joe Hill.

onthewall2983
07-01-2013, 10:05 PM
Haven't read the book either, but am digging what I've seen so far.

Mech
07-02-2013, 11:08 AM
you can buy the first episode on amazon streaming for 1.99, which is what i had to do as i was away in dallas. JUST started it. the second episode starts in about 20 min on cbs.

as far as it not being like the book, i'm grateful that i read it when it came out because ive forgotten half of it.
my fiancee on the other hand, just read it, and she's pissed off 4 min in. :p

Thanks, but I caught it when it reran Sunday night. Haven't gotten to watch last night's yet.

elevenism
07-02-2013, 02:27 PM
word. i had to buy it last night and i LOVED it. but we watched it while last night's was on, so now we have to buy last night's episode too...and then the jumblefuck will be over and we can catch next week's episode for free.

elevenism
07-02-2013, 02:30 PM
The book was one big bs political statement. The series is even worse. When I read horror novels, I read em to escape from this world, not have the authors political opinion shoved down my throat. Under the Dome is probably the worst book King has written, thank God for his son Joe Hill.
Wow. i consider Under the DOme just about king's BEST work, and i've read ALL of his work.
I didn't see it as a political statement, rather, a statement about human nature...that we ultimately DONT care about each other.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I know there were SOME left wing politics in there, but i certainly didn't see it as a theme. i am interested in how you saw it as a political statement.

Also, im VERY interested in Joe Hill. I haven't read anything by him. what's he all about and where do i start?

Dragoro
07-02-2013, 02:40 PM
Wow. i consider Under the DOme just about king's BEST work, and i've read ALL of his work.
I didn't see it as a political statement, rather, a statement about human nature...that we ultimately DONT care about each other.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one. I know there were SOME left wing politics in there, but i certainly didn't see it as a theme. i am interested in how you saw it as a political statement.

Also, im VERY interested in Joe Hill. I haven't read anything by him. what's he all about and where do i start?

He is S. Kings son. Hes got 3 books out, and some comics. Horns (Being made into a movie) and NOS4A2 are both great books. I read NOS4A2 in a single day it I was so enthralled.

slave2thewage
07-02-2013, 04:12 PM
Am I the only one finding this to be a complete snoozefest?

koz-ivan
07-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Am I the only one finding this to be a complete snoozefest?

i think they are still in the building up groundwork phase, so far i'm digging the show.

mfte
07-08-2013, 12:55 PM
The pilot was sorta interesting. Alot of the dialogue was kinda stupid. Some interesting set ups happened.

I will give it 1 -2 more episodes to make an executive decisions.

onthewall2983
07-09-2013, 07:24 PM
Found myself fast-forwarding a few scenes through yesterday's EP. Not good.

slave2thewage
07-09-2013, 08:08 PM
I thought last night's episode was a bit better, but it's still pretty bad. It seems more like something on ScyFy than being on a major network. I'll give it two more episodes to see if it improves.

onthewall2983
07-15-2013, 10:40 PM
And tonight's episode lured me back in, to my surprise.

slave2thewage
07-16-2013, 06:55 PM
OH MY GOD I DON'T GIVE A FUCK ABOUT THIS ANGIE SHIT.

This outbreak plotline that was resolved in one episode was also a flop. I'm loving the lesbians though, they're the best addition to the show that wasn't in the book.

mfte
07-17-2013, 10:47 AM
I said 2 more episodes and I would make a judgement call. Here I am 2 episodes later and I still dont know. Some of the acting and dialogue are still pretty shake BUT something is keeping me here.

That crazy kid that looks like Andy Sandnerg is weird. It's odd to see Hank as a bad guy. The hipster chick is Thora Birch from Ghostworld. I guess i'll keep watching.

mfte
09-11-2013, 08:30 AM
What will evil Hank do next?

slave2thewage
09-11-2013, 11:45 AM
I stopped on episode 4 or 5, did the show get any better?

onthewall2983
09-11-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm still watching, but I'd say no.

mfte
09-11-2013, 12:12 PM
Yeah its pretty much the same level of acting and writing but still watchable week to week.

The evil Hank rampage is worthwhile.

onthewall2983
09-14-2013, 05:12 AM
The evil Hank rampage is worthwhile.

Dean Norris is far and away the best thing about the show, and Big Jim is a worthwhile scenery-chewing TV villain to watch. If they ever get to it, I hope his death scene will be as epic as possible.

Michalrose
09-18-2013, 11:44 AM
WTF? I thought this was a mini-series event for the summer only. I watched this through the summer to see what the hell the egg was about and the big dome and mini me dome. But no! It was a lame ass season finale with a really unexciting cliff-hanger because somewhere along the way it was decided this would become a series with a second season. Not good enough to be a regular series and a waste of time.

mfte
09-18-2013, 01:11 PM
The lamest season finale since the beginning of time.

"ill keep the egg safe by throwing it in to the lake"

I was pleased when the mexican got zapped. she is too annoying.

Michalrose
09-18-2013, 01:15 PM
The lamest season finale since the beginning of time.

"ill keep the egg safe by throwing it in to the lake"

I was pleased when the mexican got zapped. she is too annoying.

Mexican! Not sure where her ancestors come from but she is definitely clueless and her raspy voice bugs me.

Mech
09-18-2013, 01:39 PM
That was the season finale?! Damn it, I was thinking there was one more episode left or something after that! I really like mini series, and this should've been one. I was sort of looking forward to not having to watch it.

elevenism
10-07-2013, 04:22 PM
We kinda fell off on watching it. I hate to say "the book is so much better" because that is kindof a stupid ass cliche.
But y'all?
The book is SOOOO much better. It's cunt ramming awesome. The tv show is fucking wack.
I know i made the thread. I was excited. What a let down.

koz-ivan
10-08-2013, 10:56 AM
Dean Norris is far and away the best thing about the show, and Big Jim is a worthwhile scenery-chewing TV villain to watch. If they ever get to it, I hope his death scene will be as epic as possible.

big jim is a great tv bad guy.

the show was watchable, and had the advantage of not a whole lot of other stuff going on so i could keep up with it via dvr, but i feel like the show just sort of slipped away.

hopefully this first season was just table setting (which seemed to come across as mostly random weirdness) and when it resumes it begins to move more with a purpose towards a conclusion, and we get some more concrete info about the why is there a giant dome over the town...

in all reality i cant see this as a long running series, because there is only so much you can do with a dwindling cast stuck in a giant snowglobe.

onthewall2983
06-23-2014, 08:12 AM
There's an hour-long special about the show on CBS tonight. I really don't even know if I'll tune in despite Norris' involvement. I even became bored with Big Jim by the end.

mfte
07-09-2014, 08:42 AM
This show was never the greatest or anything BUT this new season is plain horrible.

Lenny Kravitz is a cop now? Common.

elevenism
07-16-2014, 04:17 AM
Yeah this whole thing is a goddamn clusterfuck. When i heard that King and Spielberg and a writer from lost were teaming up to make a MINI SERIES about one of my favorite books, i was ecstatic.

But here is King raping his own work. He can't blame anyone else this time.

And it was fucked up from the get go. Then the ratings were so good that they fucked it up some more and turned it into a goddamn tv show.

So now under the dome isn't about art, it's about selling tampons and razors and chevy forerunners (or however they spell it,)

SIGH.

mfte
07-16-2014, 10:10 AM
SPOILER?

I am willing to bet that this stupid dome eventually brings back all the people that have died so far.

Dome Ex Machina

Jan
07-17-2014, 10:08 AM
I LOVED the book.....but one and a half episodes in to season 2 and I am OUT. Bad acting, poor story line. It is so far from the book, it just sucks.

onthewall2983
07-29-2014, 05:50 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6TRVXG4kQE

This gets funnier and funnier now.

mfte
08-06-2014, 08:56 AM
This last episode was a little better... still crappy... but to a lesser degree.

That hole in the ground and Sam was cool. The windmill and water hose was... im not even sure what to call that.

elevenism
08-06-2014, 10:02 AM
man i am a stephen king fanatic and i don't want ANY part of this horse shit.
UTD is perhaps King's best book of the past decade.

This show is just SAD.

Reaps
08-06-2014, 12:41 PM
How does spraying the equivalent of 10 hose pipes at dust storm stop it in 5 seconds? Why am i still watching this wet shit on a stick pantomime?

My guess is at the bottom of the pit all the dead folk are having a disco.

Deepvoid
08-06-2014, 01:05 PM
I'm about to stop watching as well.
I can barely make it through an episode now.

mfte
08-06-2014, 01:33 PM
I'm about to stop watching as well.
I can barely make it through an episode now.

common 3 more episodes and then another horrible cliff hanger.

Deepvoid
08-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Last two episodes were above average. Maybe it's a sign that they are turning thinga around.

mfte
08-27-2014, 10:04 AM
Last two episodes were above average. Maybe it's a sign that they are turning thinga around.

Above average? Really? I dont know. The show keeps getting worse. I don't know why I watch it but I still do. It has become funny to watch just to spot how poor and lopsided the plot is getting.

3/4 of the dialogue on that show is exposition in regards to things we already know. That's all these characters do now. They stand there and remind each other of what they are doing and why they are doing it minutes after those things are already explained.

Now that we have had that development in the cave this show feels like a really really low rent version of LOST and that is definitely not a compliment.

Barbie and Big Jim rule!

Deepvoid
08-27-2014, 10:09 AM
Above average? Really? I dont know. The show keeps getting worse. I don't know why I watch it but I still do. It has become funny to watch just to spot how poor and lopsided the plot is getting.

3/4 of the dialogue on that show is exposition in regards to things we already know. That's all these characters do now. They stand there and remind each other of what they are doing and why they are doing it minutes after those things are already explained.

Now that we have had that development in the cave this show feels like a really really low rent version of LOST and that is definitely not a compliment.

Barbie and Big Jim rule!

I thought the cave thing was interesting. It was the first "major" development in 8 episodes. Maybe that's why I got excited...
I haven't seen this week's episode yet.

sentient02970
08-27-2014, 10:41 AM
It's good to see they use Microsoft software products for all of their technology needs.