PDA

View Full Version : 2013.08.29 - Zurich, CH @ Zurich Open Air

opal
04-29-2013, 03:39 AM
http://zurichopenair.ch/

Date is now set.

Deftones are playing the same night as an added bonus.

arsenic
04-29-2013, 04:56 AM
I'll be there. Never seen NIN live in my life. I've waited 4 years after missing St. Gallen Openair and Milan performances in 2009. I can't wait

laci
04-29-2013, 05:46 AM
I really wanna go to Zurich to see NIN (and Deftones, wow).
All I have to do is to convince my girlfriend that is totally normal to spend a lot of money to see NIN in an expensive country. :)
I think I'll be there... :)

arsenic
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
I really wanna go to Zurich to see NIN (and Deftones, wow).
All I have to do is to convince my girlfriend that is totally normal to spend a lot of money to see NIN in an expensive country. :)
I think I'll be there... :)

Good luck with that :)
In case you're coming by car, don't forget you'll have to pay about 35 euro for a (yearly) motorway tax. And yes, Switzerland is expensive :/

laci
04-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Good luck with that :)
In case you're coming by car, don't forget you'll have to pay about 35 euro for a (yearly) motorway tax. And yes, Switzerland is expensive :/
Thanks! :)
No, I'd go there by train for sure. That's the most budget friendly and comfortable way to travel for me.
God, cannot wait to see this beautiful country (I've never been there) and see NIN again!

dominik
05-01-2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks! :)
No, I'd go there by train for sure. That's the most budget friendly and comfortable way to travel for me.
God, cannot wait to see this beautiful country (I've never been there) and see NIN again!

Are you sure that a plane is not cheaper? At least from Vienna I think it's quite the same price.

arsenic
05-01-2013, 04:44 PM
I agree. Train tickets are quite expensive too. A one way ticket across Switzerland might costs you as much as the day ticket for the NIN show. So be sure to check the flights to Zurich airport first.

From what I understood, the festival ticket give you access to zones (http://www.zvv.ch/opencms/export/sites/default/common-images/content-image-gallery/linien-zonen-pdfs/Tarifzonen_2012.pdf) 100, 121 by public transport. So bus tickets from and to the airport or train station should be included.

dominik
05-02-2013, 03:59 AM
That reminds me of my first time at Zurich Festival where some guy on drugs slept naked in my sleeping bag, spit on everything in my tent and claimed it was his. After I called the security he put on one of my underpants and went away. I then slept in a garbage bag in another tent.

laci
05-02-2013, 07:46 AM
^
Ouch. That's a tough story.

dominik
05-02-2013, 08:30 AM
^
Ouch. That's a tough story.

Yep, but now I think it's quite funny. :D

dominik
05-18-2013, 04:13 AM
Why is it not confirmed on the NIN homepage?

arsenic
05-18-2013, 08:28 AM

no idea but I believe it's official since they've already started the campaign on some Swiss newspapers https://vine.co/v/bEBnZOE5XbU

witte
05-26-2013, 04:38 AM

if "die ärzte" shows up at the line up next weeks, NIN will cancel their appearance!

dominik
05-26-2013, 03:00 PM
if "die ärzte" shows up at the line up next weeks, NIN will cancel their appearance!

please tell me that you are joking and that there is no actual rumor that they will play zurich open air

witte
05-27-2013, 10:15 AM
yes, yes and I don't know

arsenic
05-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Someone asked the same question on the official facebook page and they answered confirming that NIN will be playing in Zurich on August 29th ; )

here's the full answer in German (well, Swiss German I believe):

Q: Gits en Grund das NIN jede Gig uf de eigne Website bestätiget, nur de be eu ned? Spieled btw. am gliche Wuchenend no in Amerika.
A: Das haben sie wohl noch vergessen einzutragen. Keine Sorge, am 29.8. stehen sie bei uns auf der Bühne!

jessamineny
05-27-2013, 02:18 PM
If you're really concerned, just send Rob a Tweet and point out that it's missing from the lineup on tour.nin.com, and I'm sure he'll add it. Unless they've already blown up the site...

arsenic
05-27-2013, 04:36 PM
If you're really concerned, just send Rob a Tweet and point out that it's missing from the lineup on tour.nin.com, and I'm sure he'll add it. Unless they've already blown up the site...

actually I've tried to get in touch with Rob three times to point out that the gig in Zurich was missing and the link for the Milan show is wrong as it's displaying "no tickets available".
No answer, though.

witte
05-31-2013, 04:08 PM
Yeah, very strange. That Irish festival shows up and right after that it's on tour.nin.com.
But, still no Zurich festival on that page.

arsenic
06-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Gig now listed on tour.nin.com!

dominik
06-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Finally! Now I consider going. Or Milan. What do you think is better?

arsenic
06-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Finally! Now I consider going. Or Milan. What do you think is better?

I would say Milan it's better as it's a venue with only Tomahawk and NIN playing, whereas the Zurich Openair is a festival with a lot of people, other bands playing on different stages, mud, uncertain weather (hopefully it won't rain).
I'm personally hoping that the Milan' setlist will be slightly longer than the Zurich one, but since we don't know anything about this tour yet I will stop the speculation here. For sure in Milan they won't be forced to respect any particular time schedule - as it might happen in a festival where NIN are not the headline band of the evening - and they might be able to do a proper soundcheck first too. But I know very little about soundchecks so maybe in Zurich the sound will be great too, even though it's a festival and bands almost plug the instruments in and play.

My answer to this dilemma is: going to both gigs.
Still don't know what's better, though. I think at this time it's up to your personal preference but I would wait at least until tomorrow when NIN might announce their whole tour (as speculated in another thread).

dominik
06-05-2013, 05:14 PM
Ah okay. Right now I'm prefering Zurich because the festival lineup is actually pretty good. With flying from Vienna and not camping on the festival but staying in a hostel, that could really be a great weekend. What do you think of Zurich, though? Last time I was there I thought it's a little close-minded village trying to act like a "cosmopolitan city". But maybe I was a little biased because of that naked dude sleeping in my tent.

arsenic
06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
Ah okay. Right now I'm prefering Zurich because the festival lineup is actually pretty good. With flying from Vienna and not camping on the festival but staying in a hostel, that could really be a great weekend. What do you think of Zurich, though? Last time I was there I thought it's a little close-minded village trying to act like a "cosmopolitan city". But maybe I was a little biased because of that naked dude sleeping in my tent.

I've been to Zurich only once and I think it's a nice city. I tend to agree with your definition of "pretentious narrow-minded cosmopolitan city with people sleeping in others' tents" (except the tent bit) but I'll try to answer to your question giving you a short overview of what I think (any Swiss reading this can feel free to join the discussion and disagree!)

As a Swiss, I have to admit that Switzerland is a weird country. There are three main linguistic region, German area being the most popular, followed by French and Italian. Although we live in the same country and we share the same flag, each linguistic area has an extremely different identity and cultural backgrounds and since we speak different languages, it's often very difficult to talk to each other and by doing so we often misunderstand each other. Additionally, we're geographically divided by the Swiss alps. This division is often very clear when you look at results in politics, with French and Italian appearing to be more open-minded whereas German area appearing to be more conservative and narrow-minded. This often leads to internal misunderstandings and bring a certain fear/angst to deal with Swiss people. Swiss German don't like Swiss French and Swiss Italian and neither Swiss French and Italian like Swiss German. It all depends on your point of view.

To sum up: Switzerland is a huge mix of nationalities, languages, identities, different thoughts, chocolate and cuckoo clocks. Well, wait... we're about 8 million people so I wouldn't say HUGE.
In 20 years of my life, that's what I've understood of the country I live in. Every Swiss person might be different so don't be afraid of them. You'll find narrow-minded and unfriendly people everywhere in the world, although I've been in the UK for about half a year and I have to admit that people were generally much friendly there.

Cmon, think positive and nobody is gonna sleep in your tent again ; )

By the way, what's "worrying" me most is that i the Italian region VERY FEW people listen to NIN. I don't know if it's the same in your country, but only a few friends of mine actually listen to NIN. Luckily, given the number of likes on the Zurich Openair facebook page, in the Swiss German area NIN are - hopefully - much more popular!

dominik
06-06-2013, 04:42 AM
I like Switzerland, but I've only been in the german speaking parts so far. I just got the impression that as soon they found out that I'm from Austria they really had the urge to point out that they are not in the EU and really glad that they "make their own laws" (actual quote). Anyway, the people seemed nice overall :) I guess I should give Zurich another chance. I have a question.. is the festival in the city? Because it says Rümlang, I don't know if that is still in the city. First time the festival was in the city near the airport. I have thought it's the case again.. I'd like to sleep in a hostel and not stay on the camping area. What do you think?

edit: how is the italian region?

Anna Lapiccirella
08-04-2013, 08:47 AM
Hi, I'm new here and when I saw everybody have already been to the Zurich open air i decided to ask you all some questions. I read somewhere there is no camping this year for the festival, is it true? Which are other ways of accommodation?? Thanks :)

stefler
08-06-2013, 04:12 PM
I have a question.. is the festival in the city? Because it says Rümlang, I don't know if that is still in the city. ?

Hi, I also will drive to Zurich. The Festival is not in the city - its outside.The easiest way for arrival - you can inform here:
http://zurichopenair.ch/anfahrt

David Prado
08-08-2013, 05:30 AM
Hi, I'm new here and when I saw everybody have already been to the Zurich open air i decided to ask you all some questions. I read somewhere there is no camping this year for the festival, is it true? Which are other ways of accommodation?? Thanks :)

Camping information:
http://zurichopenair.ch/camping

There are lots of hotels near the concerts area.

kamparino
08-26-2013, 05:12 AM
Hi! Is someone looking for a ride sharing the costs? I'm leaving from Milan area going to Zurich...

hani
08-29-2013, 01:53 PM
any infos on stream or something?

nobies
08-29-2013, 09:48 PM
any idea what was played?

Little_Dreamer
08-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Here's what was played (was my first NIN-gig, so my memory might be kinda blurred):

- Copy Of A
- Disappointed
- Came Back Haunted
- 1'000'000
- March Of The Pigs
- Piggy
- Reptile
- Terrible Lie
- Burn
- Closer
- Gave Up
- Help Me I Am In Hell
- Me I'm Not
- Find My Way
- The Way Out Is Through
- Wish
- Only
- The Hand That Feeds
- Head Like A Hole
- Hurt

kamparino
08-30-2013, 04:49 AM
You missed reptile somewhere before BURN...

kamparino
08-30-2013, 04:50 AM
and important to say...Trent said: "See you next year" !!!

Little_Dreamer
08-30-2013, 05:08 AM
You missed reptile somewhere before BURN...

ah, I knew I'd forget something... but I can't remember if it came after Piggy or Terrible Lie. Jeez, I'm getting old

Edit: okay, pretty sure it came after Piggy. Edited my other post.

ninlive
08-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Here ya go guys. Full download:

http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2013/20130829.html

Scarlet Siren
08-30-2013, 05:46 PM
Seriously, you're the BEST! Thank you!

stefler
09-06-2013, 04:55 AM
I loved this evening. Great Night.
I taped the show and did some pictures. If you like, you can watch the pic album here.
Watch them from back to front for the right order. :)

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10306536/

arsenic
09-06-2013, 03:53 PM
I loved this evening. Great Night.
I taped the show and did some pictures. If you like, you can watch the pic album here.
Watch them from back to front for the right order. :)

http://imageshack.us/g/1/10306536/

thanks for sharing! And if you are the same taper that was published on RITC, a big thank you again. That's a great recording!

stefler
09-06-2013, 05:01 PM
thanks for sharing! And if you are the same taper that was published on RITC, a big thank you again. That's a great recording!

you're welcopme. no, i am not OsR. My recording will be available in the next days. you're right the previous recording from OsR sounds amazing.

arsenic
09-06-2013, 07:34 PM
you're welcopme. no, i am not OsR. My recording will be available in the next days. you're right the previous recording from OsR sounds amazing.

cool to hear that Zurich was recorded by two tapers! In 2009 the gig in St. Gallen was not taped at all (although a Swiss national radio should still have the soundboard recording..)
Will you upload it to RITC too?

stefler
09-07-2013, 10:08 AM
cool to hear that Zurich was recorded by two tapers! In 2009 the gig in St. Gallen was not taped at all (although a Swiss national radio should still have the soundboard recording..)

Yes I already have send my recording to RITC. I think it should be available in the next week.

dlb
09-07-2013, 03:17 PM

home, terrible lie and survivalism are out there, but I'd still like to have the whole recording. The moderator said that they were only allowed to air three songs. Wonder why that is since we got so many live streams 4 years later and the show in 2009 sounded pretty good.

stefler
09-13-2013, 10:26 AM
So my recording is now available on RITC. Hope you like it.

http://reflectinginthechrome.com/shows/2013/20130829.html

Boi Phan
06-05-2014, 03:22 PM
The last stop for me this tour, and it was a great show even if the crowd was less than last night in Milan.
I catch the flight directly on the morning to zurich from milan, so i was a little bit tired.
But it was almost the same setlist from last night, except reptile! what a power robin had during this song. really really great