PDA

View Full Version : Placebo

Pages : [1] 2

slave2thewage
11-29-2011, 11:51 AM
PLACEBO CONFIRM HEADLINE SHOW AT THE 2012 SUNDANCE FILM & MUSIC FESTIVAL

2012 appears to be a very big year for events in London, but nevermind the Olympic Games, as the Sundance Film & Music Festival will roll into town at the O2 from the 26th-29th April.

As part of the Music Festival, we are delighted to announce that PLACEBO will be taking the stage to headline a show on Saturday 28th April at The o2 Indigo.

A special pre-sale is online NOW, allowing fans to get tickets a few days before the General Sale this Thursday 1st December.

Brian Molko spoke about the band's appearance at Sundance, saying: "As a band, we follow our own philosophy of making the music we want to make, putting faith in our songs and records. The Sundance Film Festival has been championing similarly like-minded people for over 30 years and encouraging them to put faith in their own talent."

In response Ingrid Sutej, Director of Content Development, at Sundance Institute said: "We're very excited about Placebo being a part of Sundance London. It will be fantastic to see this band perform in a more intimate setting; that they will be part of this new and unique festival points to the reach and attraction of Sundance."

Sundance Institute is a global non-profit organization founded by Robert Redford in 1981. Through its artistic development programs for directors, screenwriters, producers, composers and playwrights, the Institute seeks to discover and support independent film and theatre artists from around the world, and to introduce audiences to their work.

slave2thewage
02-06-2012, 08:12 AM
New additional UK shows announced:

April 25 - Edinburgh Picture House
April 26 - Liverpool Olympia

AWKWARD TOUR IS AWKWARD.

aggroculture
02-06-2012, 09:45 AM
A friend in need is a friend indeed, a friend with weed is betrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
a friend with breasts and all the rest, a friend that's dressed in leathrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

frankie teardrop
02-06-2012, 09:56 AM
i can't really get into anything past sleeping with ghosts, but i used to love these guys. been ages, but i still stand by without you i'm nothing and black market music for all my nostalgic teen angst needs. caught them on the tour for the latter, at irving plaza. opening up with 'haemoglobin' blew my 19 year old mind.

icklekitty
02-06-2012, 11:27 PM
A friend in need is a friend indeed, a friend with weed is betrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
a friend with breasts and all the rest, a friend that's dressed in leathrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Someone recently tried to chat me up by misquoting those lyrics. Boner kill.

slave2thewage
02-07-2012, 02:56 AM
I bet it was johnbron.

Deepvoid
02-07-2012, 10:27 AM
I never really paid attention to Placebo bu I just love the version of Soulmates found on their latest b-sides album. Ion is a nice little instrumental track too.

slave2thewage
02-08-2012, 03:26 AM
LMAO, the presale sold out almost instantly (Edinburgh went in three minutes apparently). At least I got tickets for icklekitty and myself.

princessomega
02-09-2012, 01:35 PM
I have always LOVED Placebo. but I must say after MEDS i havent heard any of their music.
I only attended Project Revolution to see them live, my wife and I were probably the only people there who left right afterwards, but I felt that my money had been well spent, and I had no need to see Linkin Park.

henryeatscereal
04-18-2012, 04:55 PM
I still like them, i think "Battle for the sun" was a good effort and it has a lot of quality tracks like : "Kings of Medicine" and "Devil in the Details". By the way maybe you guys dont know this interview, maybe you do, but i think is fuckin hilarious, the fuckin interviewers deserve to be punched, but damn they made me laugh hard! XD

Part 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ELbPys9xHI

Part 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zjsvTBF81Y&feature=relmfu

Part 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmS5tfMIQag&feature=relmfu

Babali
04-18-2012, 05:05 PM
Love every release so far!

Space Suicide
04-18-2012, 05:48 PM
Cool thread bump with amusing videos. I've liked this band for some time. I love Without You I'm Nothing, Black Market Music and Battle for the Sun. For Battle being the most recent I think it holds up longer and sounds better than Meds, to me. I like almost all of their output.

My favorite songs would probably have to be Special K, Twenty Years, Ashtray Heart, Battle for the Sun and Infra-red. Though I must say I hold their cover of Running Up that Hill in high regards. I could never get into Kate Bush but their cover and the overall somber feel to it makes it an incredibly massive listen. Excellente!

icklekitty
04-19-2012, 03:00 AM
That's a shocking interview!

I don't know where to start with how much I love these fags.

henryeatscereal
04-19-2012, 11:09 AM
That's a shocking interview!

I don't know where to start with how much I love these fags.
The assholes that conducted the interview are pricks and his show is equally pricklish, it shows obviously, still i love Brians reactions and faces, LOL

frankie teardrop
04-19-2012, 11:44 AM
"this is the asshole of the world"

that was hilarious- thanks!

henryeatscereal
04-19-2012, 12:14 PM
The sad thing is that they try to be amusing at the band's expense, still i think they managed the interview nicely and it says a lot of their sense of humor (something very important in Mexico), returning to Placebo's music, i like all the releases but "Meds" is in my opinion the worst Placebo album (im not saying is bad, just not my favorite), i think they should go back to the early stuff with raw riffs like the first album, but t's impossible and i respect the band's decision of reinvent themselves

slave2thewage
04-23-2012, 08:32 AM
Seeing these gays twice this week. I HATE PACKING, THAT IS ALL.

fillow
04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Hooray to Eastern Europe! Seems like they coming to Belarus in September, I think I'm going.
Anyone know if they intend to tour the next album by that time? Or is it too early?

slave2thewage
04-30-2012, 07:43 AM
UK setlist:

Leeloo (as intro)
For What It's Worth
Ashtray Heart
Battle For The Sun
Soulmates
Every You, Every Me
Special Needs
Breathe Underwater
Without You I'm Nothing
Black-Eyed
Meds
Bright Lights
Teenage Angst
Special K
Song To Say Goodbye
The Bitter End
===============
Running Up That Hill
Post Blue
Blind
Infra-Red
Taste in Men

They were a lot better this time around than the last tour.

aggroculture
04-30-2012, 07:46 AM
They don't play Pure Morning? What the...

frankie teardrop
04-30-2012, 09:49 AM
if anything, i'm surprised they're still closing with 'taste in men' after all these years... would've thought they'd be sick of that one as well.

xmd 5a
04-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Major nostalgia attached to this band. They were the first band I ever got really into. "Special K" (which I though was about breakfast cereal) was my jam when I was 11 and the videos for it and "Taste in Men" were the coolest ever. Black Market Music is such a fun album beginning to end. I'll also vouch for Sleeping With Ghosts - "Bulletproof Cupid", "English Summer Rain" and especially "The Bitter End" are absolute stormers of tracks. First two albums are great too, but everyone knows that.

frankie teardrop
04-30-2012, 10:33 AM
yeah, i kind of check out after sleeping with ghosts, found the two recent albums to be repetitive with muddier production and less memorable songs.

that said, while i seldom listen to them anymore, i tossed black market music on for nostalgia value the other day, and that album still destroys... 'days before you came,' 'haemoglobin,' etc. brought me back to the NYC show i caught at irving plaza. queued early to get in the front, bootlegged the show on an old cassette recorder. got checked out by brian molko after the show. ahhh, memories.

BlueCalx
04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Funny that Meds seems to be so reviled in this thread. I loved that record, and thought it was very much in line with the first three. Sleeping With Ghosts is a tough listen for me, a lot of synthesizer wank with a couple great songs hiding out. Battle For the Sun, I think, is unlistenable. If you can find value in that album, good for you, but it turned me right off, with the exception of "For What It's Worth".

I've always loved this band, though, since eighth grade (almost half my life at this point). I love how goofy they are, that they're making Suede and Elastica music by way of Blink182, I love that Brian's been balding for years, and that the whole point of the band (youth, ambiguous sexuality, drug experimentation) was basically a punchline by Black Market Music and that their response to that was to go even further into parody. Awesome stuff.

halloween
04-30-2012, 12:12 PM
I for one, also loved Meds. There are even some in Battle for the Sun that I liked, but definitely my least favorable album.

I saw Placebo live when they played in Brasilia, Brazi, years agol--- fucking amazing! I didn't know but two of their songs (and I didn't know I knew it until they played it) and then took the cd from sister, who didn't end up liking them as much as I did. I wish I had known more of the songs so I could remember what they played, but it was mostly from Without You I'm Nothing.

icklekitty
04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, well you dicks like Nine Inch Nails. What do you know.

*strop*

slave2thewage
04-30-2012, 09:50 PM
Brian stated at the London Q&A that new material will be released by the end of the year, btw.

that they're making Suede and Elastica music by way of Blink182, I love that Brian's been balding for years, and that the whole point of the band (youth, ambiguous sexuality, drug experimentation) was basically a punchline by Black Market Music and that their response to that was to go even further into parody.

http://i.imgur.com/oL6xm.gif

BlueCalx
04-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I think it's foolish to take Placebo more seriously than Placebo o. I love this band to death, but genius artistes they ain't.
Or: I was commenting favourably on their sense of humour, something that virtually no post-90s bands have

slave2thewage
05-01-2012, 08:26 AM
Meh, foreigners don't really get Placebo.

BlueCalx
05-01-2012, 09:12 AM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/12042575.jpg

icklekitty
05-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Meh, foreigners don't really get Placebo.

I wish..........

henryeatscereal
05-01-2012, 11:26 AM
sometimes Placebo doesn't get Placebo, too

aggroculture
05-01-2012, 11:52 AM
When I got dumped three years ago, Without You I'm Nothing really spoke to me. But I haven't listened to it, or Placebo, since.

slave2thewage
05-01-2012, 09:16 PM
Hope you enjoy your North American tour!!

Oh wait...

BlueCalx
05-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Yeah, you're a real piece of work. How are the British National Party doing these days?

icklekitty
05-02-2012, 02:43 AM
That's not a logical retort, but I presume the BNP are doing the same as the KKK.

slave2thewage
05-02-2012, 07:15 AM
Yeah, you're a real piece of work. How are the British National Party doing these days?
You do realise that calling me British is like me calling you American?

EDIT: This sounds interesting (http://www.thecmuwebsite.com/article/brian-molko-added-to-great-escape-conversation-line-up/). Also, from the Q&A: Brian said the US tour would happen "when gay marriage is legalised", so don't hold your breath. An acoustic tour has also been discussed so I'm crossing my fingers/preparing to tour-stalk for that.

BlueCalx
05-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Ah, well, I wasn't actually calling you British, fascist, nationalist or any other thing. I was trying to say that grousing about 'foreigners' pissing all over the special thing that only you get to have because of where you're from associates you with some rather ugly lines of thinking. I don't think you actually think what you said - if you do, shame on you, because that invalidates English-speaking K-pop fans, Mick Jagger and Eric Clapton's take on the blues, the entire French hip-hop scene and all manner of other wonderful things that wouldn't have happened if artists and critics had stayed comfortably in their lanes. No, I think you were trolling, trying to get me to say something crazy by saying something offensive. Garden-variety, Youtube-comments-section level angry internet kid crap. Next time, try saying "I think what you said is stupid and wrong but I don't want to meet you on your terms, so fuck you anyway". Or just stick to sneering Bowie gifs, at least he's pretty.

Brian saying that a US tour will happen when gay marriage is legalized is pretty weak. We've had gay marriage for years up here in the frozen north, so why isn't Brian rewarding our progressive politics with a set of intimate gigs in scenic locales like Moose Jaw, Winnipeg, Whitehorse or Sicamous? Unfortunately, Placebo doesn't have the fanbase that they used to in North America, and getting across the border is a massive pain in the ass. I can hardly blame Brian & the rest for not wanting to tour here, it seems like an awful lot of work for not a lot of profit. I sure can take issue, though, with Brian annoying his fanbase with statements like "We won't tour until gay marriage is legalized". Surely most everyone who would be interested in paying to see Placebo is already fully on board with the idea of gay marriage, and unable to do anything significant about it. He may as well just say, "We'll tour the US when pigs fly".

slave2thewage
05-03-2012, 06:33 AM
It's still lame to me that "Oh, Brian is sick so the tour has to be cancelled but we can fly back to Mexico and perform our big-ass arena show". Plus I know someone who lost $3,500 over the cancellations. Plus, if I was at the Q&A I'd have asked "Why are you playing St. Petersburg then?".

slave2thewage
06-02-2012, 09:25 AM
Update on the official site: "new tracks", aka probably an EP, released in the autumn, album to be released in the first half of 2013.

slave2thewage
06-12-2012, 11:55 PM
The unreleased video for Follow The Cops Back Home is online. I'd never heard about this until I randomly discovered it. It's pretty good, albeit a bit odd.

http://vimeo.com/16782954

icklekitty
06-13-2012, 03:40 AM
That is odd.

I thought that song already had a video; I think I just see pictures when I hear it.

slave2thewage
06-13-2012, 06:36 AM
It had that terrible slow-motion video with the guy in front of the exploding TV. I think that was just released to youtube though.

The single choices for Meds were weird anyway.

eversonpoe
06-13-2012, 09:13 AM
harry dean stanton in a placebo video...very interesting. i liked it.

henryeatscereal
06-13-2012, 10:27 AM
I had no idea there was a video for "Follow the Cops...", i like Placebo a lot but i find most of his videos generic, not bad or anything just generic (mostly the ones from the Black market Music-Sleeping with Ghosts Era), this one is good, a simple well directed idea, munch like the video for "A song to say goodbye".
On topic: im going to watch my favorite Placebo concert tonight, god i love when they play "Bionic"

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-OMiocE-SfiY/Tlz7pCAgMOI/AAAAAAAAAF4/5IgnLCW5WTM/s1600/57275f.jpg

ibanez33
07-06-2012, 12:56 AM
Just started getting into these guys last week. I'm completely in love with MEDS, but I don't know where to go from here. Suggestions?

Babali
07-06-2012, 01:46 AM
After Meds I went on to songs like Pure Morning, Every You Every Me, Taste In Men, Special K, so I'd say Without You I'm Nothing and Black Market Music, then their first album.

Listening to their live performances is really fun, check out Live in Paris or the iTunes Live albums.

I didn't like Battle For The Sun my first listen-through for some reason, but now I am absolutely in love with that album. My least favorite songs are the first three on the album, however, so if they put you off, don't worry it gets so much better.

Placebo are awesome, highly influential for me, I'd just absorb it all and enjoy! :)

slave2thewage
07-06-2012, 08:27 AM
It's all good, more or less. Except the last album is a bit weak.

henryeatscereal
07-06-2012, 09:21 AM
Just started getting into these guys last week. I'm completely in love with MEDS, but I don't know where to go from here. Suggestions?
Buy "Sleeping with Ghosts" it's better than "Meds" and it has some memorable songs in there, then you can jump to the early stuff i'll suggest the first self titled album...

aggroculture
07-06-2012, 10:16 AM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164259/Placebo-ruined-life-Child-star-rock-band-album-cover-sues-damages-dropping-school-bullying.html

Babali
07-06-2012, 10:50 AM
Buy "Sleeping with Ghosts" it's better than "Meds" and it has some memorable songs in there, then you can jump to the early stuff i'll suggest the first self titled album...Yeah, where was my mind last night? Can't believe I didn't suggest that album... English Summer Rain, This Picture, Sleeping With Ghosts, The Bitter End, Special Needs and Protect Me From What I Want, to name a few... Excellent album!

Also, that lawsuit is stupid..

sayyosin
07-06-2012, 04:26 PM
I love Without You I'm Nothing and Black Market Music.

henryeatscereal
07-07-2012, 06:29 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2164259/Placebo-ruined-life-Child-star-rock-band-album-cover-sues-damages-dropping-school-bullying.html
What a douche, i understand him, but i think he's out of line for complaining like this, the guy that posed in Pantera's "Vulgar Display of Power (http://www.ugo.com/music/metal-album-covers-vulgar-display-of-power)" never complained about his shoot, Placebo aren't bullies you are the one who allowed to be bullied and now you use them as your golden ticket, WTF

icklekitty
07-08-2012, 05:07 AM
Yeah, his problem is really with his cousin. Anyone purchasing photographs assumes that the photographer has the right to sell those images.

henryeatscereal
07-08-2012, 11:40 AM
it is the photographers fault, i understand "Placebo's kid" situation still it's odd to hear him complain about a 1996 photograph, the guy that posed in Nirvana's Nevermind even showed his dong and i heard he's even proud of it...

ibanez33
07-09-2012, 02:23 AM
Yeah, the gigantic neck tattoo definitely has nothing to do with his inability to get a job.

frankie teardrop
07-09-2012, 09:54 AM
meanwhile, i wonder how much the kid from the cover of u2's boy/war gets laid on a regular basis.

henryeatscereal
07-09-2012, 11:41 PM
meanwhile, i wonder how much the kid from the cover of u2's boy/war gets laid on a regular basis.
...and the least we talk about "Virgin Killer" the better...

http://image.bayimg.com/iaagjaadd.jpg

slave2thewage
07-29-2012, 08:45 AM
New song debuted in Spain last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7JEhMehZq8

slave2thewage
07-29-2012, 08:49 AM
Setlist:

Kitty Litter
Battle For The Sun
Every You, Every Me
Speak in Tongues
Black-Eyed
Special Needs
For What It's Worth
I Know (!)
Slave To The Wage (!!!!. I nearly fainted when I read this)
Bright Lights
Meds
Teenage Angst
Song To Say Goodbye
The Bitter End
---------------------------------
Running Up That Hill
Post Blue
"B3" (the new song)
Infra-Red

henryeatscereal
07-29-2012, 03:44 PM
"I know" live!!! now is it too much to ask for "Hang on to your IQ"?

slave2thewage
07-30-2012, 10:07 AM
Welcome back, you fucking beauty. Slave To The Wage live:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DtfH5hfBR8

slave2thewage
08-01-2012, 10:07 AM
In a new interview (in Italian), Brian now states the new album will be out by the end of the year!

slave2thewage
08-02-2012, 03:58 PM
Update: A new audio interview with Molko has appeared. "B3" or whatever it's called will be released as a single in September, album "early" next year.

EDIT: source - http://www.radio.rai.it/podcast/A42489150.mp3 - interview starts at 26:40. And apparently Brian states that March is when it should be released, I'm still trying to get the mp3 to stream for me.

henryeatscereal
08-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Maybe im the only one, but i would love a more "electronic" Placebo cd, just like this song...

http://youtu.be/oKC7RCb1H_o

slave2thewage
08-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Complete set from the Sziget Festival in Hungary last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nC2lHCNK5mk

And here's the link to my audio rip:
https://rapidshare.com/files/4124491110/sziget2012cebo.rar

frankie teardrop
08-09-2012, 11:34 AM
so wait, their bass player hardly plays bass anymore? man, i miss those black market days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h08ZvEOPE94

was in the front row for this gig. blew my head off. i recorded it too, think i still have the cd somewhere...

slave2thewage
08-09-2012, 11:48 AM
Stef's been more of a guitarist since the SWG days.

I've always wanted to see Brian on keyboards.

frankie teardrop
08-09-2012, 11:58 AM
yeah, i kind of checked out after sleeping with ghosts (as i probably mentioned a few times before, i like meds all right these days, and couldn't get into the new drummer/record). i saw them on the SWG tour too, same venue, much more frustrating experience. the first show was very high energy/jumping etc., but fun and good energy. second was just a cesspool of nasty mosh pitters and a girl who jumped up on stage to tackle brian, which cut off our encore.

brian playing piano on 'leni' was pretty special, cigarette smoke mixing with the lights like fog- and also hearing 'my sweet prince'- an unexpected gem on the set. and opening with 'haemoglobin'- christ. yeah, black market music is probably my favorite, with the second record coming in close.

idlewild, who opened the 2001 gig, were also awesome and loud. love that 100 broken windows record, too. similar vibes.

slave2thewage
08-12-2012, 07:52 PM
The last four minutes of this... just epic. From tonight's show in Poland:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BLwVQVmU3M

slave2thewage
09-08-2012, 03:22 PM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ma09bkAZeW1rn23cko1_500.jpg

Tracklist (not confirmed, was on amazon.de but removed):
01. B3
02. I Know You Want To Stop
03. The Extra
04. I Know Where You Live
05. Time Is Money

- "I Know You Want To Stop" is a cover of a 90s band called Minxus and was played live at the A-Rock mini-tour a few months back.
- "The Extra" and "Time Is Money" are known BFTS leftovers.

slave2thewage
09-12-2012, 01:30 PM
Tracklist confirmed via iTunes, samples are available on all EU iTunes stores. And for those outside...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyZptLBl0HI

GibbonBlack
09-12-2012, 08:45 PM
I like it :)

slave2thewage
09-12-2012, 08:59 PM
So, they cut The Extra and Time Is Money from BFTS, yet kept on Ashtray Heart and Come Undone. I really question their decisions.

slave2thewage
10-03-2012, 09:45 AM
DRIP DRIP!

Fuck me, the last three tracks on there are amazing. If they keep it up, roll on Album #7!

Reznor2112
10-14-2012, 04:57 PM
So, they cut The Extra and Time Is Money from BFTS, yet kept on Ashtray Heart and Come Undone. I really question their decisions.

I love the new EP. Simply badass. But I hate to hear you say that about Come Undone as that is my favorite track off of BFTS.

slave2thewage
10-15-2012, 06:04 PM
I knew I would hate Come Undone from the opening show in Sheffield because it bored my ass off when it was played. I hoped I would like it in my next show in London, but, no. And the album version just compounded my hatred of it.

At least the studio version of The Never-Ending Why was good compared to how fucking lame it was live.

Gray Grimez
10-16-2012, 09:41 AM
So guys long term fan but not really liked anything since before the bts. Is this ep worth me checking out?

eversonpoe
10-16-2012, 02:52 PM
what's the BTS?

voidnz
10-16-2012, 04:30 PM
Battle The Sun i'm guessing. (Missing the F_

Deepvoid
04-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Kid who appeared on Placebo album cover sues band "for running his life". (http://www.aux.tv/2012/06/kid-who-appeared-on-placebo-album-cover-sues-band-for-ruining-his-life/)

Pretty sure he got paid to do this and in exchange signed a non-waiver.
Gotta love people blaming everyone for their own misery.

Reznor2112
04-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Kid who appeared on Placebo album cover sues band "for running his life". (http://www.aux.tv/2012/06/kid-who-appeared-on-placebo-album-cover-sues-band-for-ruining-his-life/)

Pretty sure he got paid to do this and in exchange signed a non-waiver.
Gotta love people blaming everyone for their own misery.

Haha old news.. kid is a douche bag

Any word on the next album??

The new site teaser is giving me hope...
http://www.placeboworld.co.uk/

Deepvoid
04-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Damn, I knew I should have looked at the date. Sorry about that...

slave2thewage
04-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Remember when the album was meant to be out in March? Yeah...

If you're looking for an update, I think they're in the mixing stage. There were instragram updates but they dried up a few weeks ago.

slave2thewage
04-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I was right. Brian did a radio thing the other day where he confirmed the album is being mixed and released "before the end of the year".

He's also planning on releasing a book of his lyrics, which is probably what that "L" thing is about. That'll be fascinating...

GibbonBlack
04-21-2013, 07:05 AM
Yeah, I was right. Brian did a radio thing the other day where he confirmed the album is being mixed and released "before the end of the year".

He's also planning on releasing a book of his lyrics, which is probably what that "L" thing is about. That'll be fascinating...

I'm sure you know them all already

[Shep]
05-01-2013, 04:25 PM
http://placeboworld.co.uk/

Their site now counts down towards May 20th.
#LLL ?

http://youtu.be/xdKZYOAhZdU

My guess is a single followed by album details.

GibbonBlack
05-02-2013, 06:41 AM
;84345']http://placeboworld.co.uk/

Their site now counts down towards May 20th.
#LLL ?

My guess is a single followed by album details.

:) Just what I need right now

slave2thewage
05-02-2013, 03:04 PM
It's Placebo. They're probably trolling and it'll be Brian Molko's Lyrics and Colouring Book.

slave2thewage
05-21-2013, 07:36 AM
Album #7
Loud Like Love
September 16, 2013
http://www.loudlikelove.com/

Tour dates (presale at http://placebo.seetickets.com/tour/placebo):
12.11.13 Torwar - Warsaw, Poland
13.11.13 Lucerna Music Bar - Prague, Czech Republic
15.11.13 Arena Leipzig - Leipzig, Germany
16.11.13 Lanxess Arena - Cologne, Germany
18.11.13 Hallenstadion - Zurich, Switzerland
19.11.13 Olympiahalle - Munich, Germany
21.11.13 Stadthalle - Vienna, Austria
23.11.13 Unipol Arena - Bologna, Italy
24.11.13 Geneva Arena - Geneva, Switzerland
27.11.13 Festhalle - Frankfurt, Germany
28.11.13 O2 World - Berlin, Germany
30.11.13 Falconer Salon - Copenhagen, Denmark
01.12.13 Stora Arenan - Stockholm, Sweden
03.12.13 Sentrum Scene - Oslo, Norway
05.12.13 O2 World - Hamburg, Germany
07.12.13 Sportpalais - Antwerp, Belgium
08.12.13 Ziggo Dome - Amsterdam, Netherlands
10.12.13 Bercy - Paris, France
12.12.13 O2 Academy - Birmingham, UK
13.12.13 O2 Academy - Glasgow, UK
14.12.13 Apollo - Manchester, UK
16.12.13 Brixton Academy - London, UK

henryeatscereal
05-21-2013, 08:47 AM
A Mexico date would be great, i like the album cover!

slave2thewage
05-21-2013, 09:05 AM
"...Fans in North America, South America, Australia, Asia, other European markets and beyond, don't worry we are coming your way very soon, keep your eyes on PLACEBOWORLD for details of the next phase of shows..."

You might get lucky!

icklekitty
05-21-2013, 09:33 AM
LOL at North American tour.

eversonpoe
05-21-2013, 10:53 AM
LOL at North American tour.

hey...i saw them a couple years ago and it was great! although they haven't been back since...so i guess you're right to laugh :p

icklekitty
05-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Yeah they have a bit of a disastrous track record when it comes to following through on US shows!

slave2thewage
05-24-2013, 10:46 AM
The guy who works at Riverman (the band's management company) that posts on the official forums hinted that we'll get something at the time of preorders. Also, if anyone cares/can make it, there's a second Brixton show on December 17th.

Reznor2112
05-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Here's hoping for a US tour... absolutely love the artwork for the album

eversonpoe
05-24-2013, 12:46 PM
i'm a bit reluctant to go in for the box set (despite being a sucker for such things). i got burned on the battle for the sun box set (the DVD was region 2 only, it came with a printed CD-R for later use to burn live tracks to, but the tracks were only 160kbps mp3s when they became available, etc.) and i don't want that shit to happen again with this one. plus, without knowing how the album is going to sound, i'm even more worried about getting it. :/

slave2thewage
05-24-2013, 03:28 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'll bother with the box set this time around. I'm not wowed by the extras, so I'm thinking of just getting the limited digipack with the live DVD.

eversonpoe
05-24-2013, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I don't think I'll bother with the box set this time around. I'm not wowed by the extras, so I'm thinking of just getting the limited digipack with the live DVD.

have you watched the DVD in the BftS box set? is it good?

slave2thewage
05-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Angkor Wat show is good, the Making Of is pretty average. Of course, they're both on YouTube these days.

slave2thewage
05-26-2013, 01:04 AM
Americans, you can stalk them RIGHT NOW: the band are in California. The official line is that they're on a photo shoot for LLL, but apparently they're also making the first video from the album. According to the tweet that mentioned this, the first single is called One Too Many Friends.

slave2thewage
06-07-2013, 06:42 AM
Preorders are up, and this is the clip they just released:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVzAnPrePu0#!

Digging the melancholy air to it. Getting a Black Market Music/Sleeping With Ghosts meets Meds feel.

GibbonBlack
06-07-2013, 06:59 AM
That keyboard (I think) melody is great

eversonpoe
06-07-2013, 07:58 AM
definitely reminded me of early new order...i like it.

i really, really, really hate brian's current haircut, though. le sigh...

Reznor2112
06-07-2013, 10:02 AM
No matter what era this band is in, I am instantly taken back to high school. Really excited about this record. Grabbing my pre-order asap.

EDIT: JESUS, these pre-order prices are fucking crazy.

$31.00 for the digi pack and $109 for the box (which I guess makes more sense) butt seriously, its a 10 track album. Hopefully this is just the initial amazon price and they go down.

slave2thewage
06-14-2013, 09:40 AM
Tracklisting is out:

1. Loud Like Love
2. Scene Of The Crime
3. Too Many Friends
4. Hold On To Me
5. Rob The Bank
6. A Million Little Pieces
7. Exit Wounds
8. Purify
9. Begin The End
10. Bosco

icklekitty
06-14-2013, 10:32 AM
7. Exit Wounds
8. Purify
9. Begin The End

NIN songs.

New Killer Star
06-14-2013, 11:35 PM
... i really, really, really hate brian's current haircut, though. le sigh...

I agree. Actually, his hair styles have been shit for a while now, making him look very, very average at best.

slave2thewage
06-15-2013, 03:27 AM
2003-2006. The only time that man has ever had a decent haircut.

There, I said it.

eversonpoe
06-15-2013, 08:32 AM
2003-2006. The only time that man has ever had a decent haircut.

There, I said it.

i like the one he has in the liner notes of black market music. (though that photo still seems SO out of place with the mood of that album)

slave2thewage
06-17-2013, 07:29 AM
Official confirmation just came out that "Too Many Friends" is the single, release date is July 7th (download only).

slave2thewage
06-25-2013, 05:25 PM
Single's been released to radio. There's a decent rip doing the rounds, but it keeps being pulled from YouTube so I can't get a link. I like the music but the lyrics are appalling. Here's hoping "My computer thinks I'm gay" becomes a meme.

eversonpoe
06-26-2013, 08:38 AM
Single's been released to radio. There's a decent rip doing the rounds, but it keeps being pulled from YouTube so I can't get a link. I like the music but the lyrics are appalling. Here's hoping "My computer thinks I'm gay" becomes a meme.

is that really one of the lines? jesus, brian...

slave2thewage
06-26-2013, 09:04 AM
I'm not making this up. These are the actual lyrics:

My computer thinks I'm gay
I threw that piece of junk away
On the Champs-Elysee
As I was walking home

This is my last communique
Down the super highway
All that I have left to say
In a single tome

I got too many friends
Too many people
That I'll never meet
And I'll never be there for
I'll never be there for
'Cause I'll never be there

If I could give it all away
Will it come back to me some day?
Like a needle in the hay
Or an expensive stone

But I got a reason to declaim
The applications are to blame
For all my sorrow and my pain
Of feeling so alone

(chorus)

My computer thinks I'm gay
What's the difference anyway
When all the people do all day
Is stare into a phone

(chorus x2)

I'll never be there (x4)

icklekitty
06-26-2013, 09:05 AM
It's total shit.

slave2thewage
06-26-2013, 09:09 AM
A lot of people on the official forum think the "computer" line is "cute". Jesus wept.

eversonpoe
06-27-2013, 08:10 AM
you know...brian's never been the most amazing lyricist, but he used to be able to treat mundane subjects with such importance that it became poetic. and he's used some great language tricks in the past...but yeah, this is total shit.

Space Suicide
06-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Jeez that it pretty awful!

Jeez, has it really been 4 years since Battle for the Sun as well?

Reznor2112
06-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Is there anywhere to hear the track? Don't want to judge until I can hear it.

EDIT: Nvm
http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x11bmeu_placebo-too-many-friends_music

This is terrible

EDIT 2: after 3 listens I have to say I really do enjoy the instrumentation in the song but the lyrics really ruin it for me. I will still buy the CD/DVD as I am still a diehard fan of these guys. And here's hoping for 9 tracks that are better than this one.

eversonpoe
06-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Is there anywhere to hear the track? Don't want to judge until I can hear it.

EDIT: Nvm
http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/x11bmeu_placebo-too-many-friends_music

This is terrible

EDIT 2: after 3 listens I have to say I really do enjoy the instrumentation in the song but the lyrics really ruin it for me. I will still buy the CD/DVD as I am still a diehard fan of these guys. And here's hoping for 9 tracks that are better than this one.

i'm going to agree about enjoying the instrumentation and hating the lyrics, but i'm also going to add that i don't even like the way brian is SINGING the song. maybe it's that the words are so horrible, there's no good way to sing it? i don't know. sigh...

slave2thewage
07-09-2013, 06:19 AM
Just been announced that the US and Canada (EDIT: according to the Facebook page, Australia too) are getting "Loud Like Love" (the title track) as the lead single. It's released to radio this morning and available from iTunes on the 23rd. Whoever gets this uploaded gets sexual favours for life.

henryeatscereal
07-09-2013, 03:22 PM
The track was available in my country 3 hours ago, then they took it off i guess it's because they fucked up and im getting "Loud Like Love" instead...

Is the track worse than "Ashtray heart"? NOTHING can be worse than "Ashtray heart"?

slave2thewage
07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
I genuinely don't know. It's about the same as Ashtray Heart.

icklekitty
07-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Too Many Friends makes Ashtray Heart sound like Beethoven.

slave2thewage
07-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Too Many Friends makes Ashtray Heart sound like Beethoven.
I AM SCREAMING!

Apparently the Aussies will be playing it in 12 hours from now.

EDIT: No airplay reported anywhere yet and the press release was reposted without any mention of a radio debut, just the download release date. It's a bit of a mess, to be honest. I've been reliably told that it was a literal last-minute decision to release this as a single. If you want me to guess why, probably since Europe had a deal of promo for TMF and they saw the response to that song so they decided to release a "stronger" song in these territories. That's just a guess. That band make the weirdest business decisions.

slave2thewage
07-11-2013, 01:40 PM
A journalist who heard the album has posted on the official forums. Here's a few points:

- "Hold On to Me" and "Bosco" are the ballads.
- Most of the album is mid-tempo.
- "Begin the End" and "Bosco" are the longest tracks, over six minutes long.
- "Rob The Bank" sounds like "For What It's Worth".
- The album is clunky lyrically, but "Too Many Friends" and the title track are apparently the worst.

Oh dear.

eversonpoe
07-11-2013, 03:48 PM
:[ no me gusta

it always sucks when a band you love just...stops being good. same thing happened with my love for incubus.

frankie teardrop
07-11-2013, 04:12 PM
it happens more often than not, sadly. there's something to be said about fickle fanbases or growing up and out of a band (i still love the first three records in theory, but not in practice). a lot of times, they just jump the shark.

it's possible to come back though... one of my favorite bands (comsat angels) put out a brilliant 3/4 record run, got caught up in dodgy 80s trappings in the later part of the eighties, but then hit the nineties with one of their best albums, back to form, kicked ass again out of nowhere, etc. i'd be surprised if placebo could achieve this, though... i feel like in this example it was just a response to what was going on musically at the time- "OH! it's cool to embrace guitars again, perfect, that's what we excel at," etc.

as for the lyrics- their lyrics were always sort of questionable. there's a fine line there about trashy goodness vs. sophomoric poetry. my guess is he's still trying to write witty trashy things but plumb out of ideas.

icklekitty
07-12-2013, 04:23 AM
The steep incline of this downfall is what's gobsmacking. Ok, a lot of people say that BFTS isn't *as* good as the others, but...this has the potential to hurt me more than The Slip.

slave2thewage
07-12-2013, 08:36 AM
Well, that journalist said it was better than BFTS, but it's nothing like the pre-2008 era Placebo.

Reznor2112
07-12-2013, 09:01 AM
I think the song would be more tolerable in a stripped down version on the album much like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-klGm59dTXA

slave2thewage
07-12-2013, 09:20 AM
That actually sounds like Steve Forrest's solo stuff. I think it's the other two's problem, there's been this desire lately to throw EVERYTHING they can think of into a song.

Reznor2112
07-12-2013, 10:01 AM
That actually sounds like Steve Forrest's solo stuff. I think it's the other two's problem, there's been this desire lately to throw EVERYTHING they can think of into a song.

Your post made me realize i had never checked out his stuff. Just listened to the Planes EP and its pretty fantastic.

Too Many Friends lyric video (for those that haven't heard it)
- I still love the instrumentation in this song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hKLONjkiL1c

henryeatscereal
07-12-2013, 11:49 AM
The single it's plain "OK", i expected worse... yet the Lyrics are AWFUL!

My only complain is that is very "poppish", but i can understand that this song was conceived to be the single... I still think they can do a whole lot better and hope tha album is better than this.

slave2thewage
07-21-2013, 03:57 PM
Riverman went on the warpath about the album "spoilers" and deleted them. There's also leaked promo pics doing the rounds and basically they've got this goth look going on now. Brian is very 1997 in them.

slave2thewage
07-23-2013, 06:23 AM
So, America and Australia are meant to have their single right now and there's apparently no sign of it anywhere online. This was a bit of a shit plan.

Deadpool
07-23-2013, 10:42 AM
Yeah, I just searched iTunes US and saw nothing. Lame.

slave2thewage
07-23-2013, 02:09 PM
So, they're late with the video for TMF, LLL hasn't appeared ON ITS RELEASE DATE, the promo images leaked two months early and Riverman are throwing random tantrums online. Great marketing they have going on.

icklekitty
07-24-2013, 06:54 AM
I wonder if this album era is just going to be a huge trollfest?

slave2thewage
07-24-2013, 08:29 AM
^LOL, Meds is awesome.

Someone found a clip of a verse of Loud Like Love - http://rope.zfmq.fimc.net/afamusic/Placebo_LoudLikeLove56.m3u. Should've just been the international single, really. It's so much better musically and the constant rhyming isn't as annoying as TMF.

slave2thewage
07-24-2013, 06:13 PM
It's been released to radio. http://www.savealternative.com/ is playing at the top of the hour, every hour. IT'S AWESOME.

EDIT: if you can't hear it, PM me.

Lyrics:

Love on an atom, love on a cloud
To see the birth of all that isn't now
Can you imagine a love that is so proud
It never has to question why or how

So I'll abandon the love in my dreams (note - I'm not too sure about that line)
When I wake up I'm soaking in my sheets

Breathe (x4)
Believe (x4)

For all of our youth
We have craved them
Their beauty and their truth

Breathe (x4)
Believe (x4)
Breathe (x4)
Believe, believe
That we are loud like...

Love on an atom, love on a cloud
To see the birth of all that isn't now
Can you imagine a love that is so proud
It never has to question why or how

For all of our youth
We have craved them
Their beauty and their truth
So we name them
And somehow they pull us through
We have craved them
For all of our youth

Breathe (x4)
Believe (x4)

We are loud like love (x9)

henryeatscereal
07-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Meds has "Space Monkey", for that track alone, it's existence is justified...

"Battle for the Sun" was great! (minus "Ashtray Heart", i hate that song!)

eversonpoe
07-25-2013, 09:58 PM
speak in tongues and devil in the details are two of my favorite placebo songs, with battle for the sun ranking up there, too...i like the majority of that album a lot.

kitz
07-26-2013, 06:02 AM
This band has lost the point entirely. That new single is horrendous.

Seriously, I was a huge Placebo fan all the way up until Sleeping With Ghosts, with Black Market Music being their apex. SWG had its moments, but Meds and that Battle of the Sun record were fucking abysmal. This one is on track for the hat trick.

What happened to you, Brian Molko.
Welcome to the disappointed fans of Placebo. Although I saw them live last year ( I got a free ticket) and the gig was pretty good, I think my passionate feeling for them got lost in 2009.

slave2thewage
07-26-2013, 06:44 AM
LOL at talking about "the best of Meds" and then mentioning the flop that is Infra-Red. Also, no Drag = fail.

icklekitty
07-26-2013, 05:40 PM
Accurate breakdown clapping or GTFO.

eversonpoe
07-26-2013, 06:03 PM
Not only did I mention it, I kicked off the album with it. You must be a diehard fan if you put Drag over Infra-Red.

Drag sounds like a 'self-titled' b-side, at best. Infra-Red at least sounds like a Placebo A-side...whatever that means anymore.

i'm guessing you don't like self-titled, then? i think that album is fantastic (though i prefer live versions of the songs with steve h playing drums)

Reznor2112
07-26-2013, 08:39 PM
Any word on LLL?

slave2thewage
07-28-2013, 11:20 AM
Any word on LLL?

http://vimeo.com/70993281

kitz
07-28-2013, 11:24 AM
meh... what the fuck is this?

slave2thewage
07-28-2013, 11:25 AM
Heh. Personally I think it's their strongest single in a decade.

kitz
07-28-2013, 11:26 AM
Decade? you gotta be kidding me.

icklekitty
07-28-2013, 11:59 AM
Is this how the production is going to be for the whole album? Because it's distracting.

LLL sounds a lot like late 90s britpop. OK in itself, but it's not Placebo. Every past album, as different as it sounds, has an intrinsic Placeboness to it.

slave2thewage
07-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Decade? you gotta be kidding me.
Well, since BIWY/STSG.

I assume there's a bit missing from the radio version (i.e. that sample that was on the website countdown) but it's a dodgy webstream rip. There's still nothing from management about the delay, so I'm assuming they're all dead.

henryeatscereal
07-28-2013, 11:59 PM
So much better than "Too many Friends", it reminded me to New Order a bit (and that's not a bad thing!)

Reznor2112
07-29-2013, 09:47 AM
I quite like LLL, Too Many friends just has awful lyrics.

slave2thewage
07-29-2013, 12:26 PM
So, Riverman didn't implode after all:

On the 6th August, fans around the world will be able to pre-order the the Digital Download version of the new PLACEBO album 'Loud Like Love'.
And if you choose to purchase via iTunes you will get an instant download of the title track 'Loud Like Love', however you will also be able to purchase the 'Loud Like Love' track as a single download from the album.
Finally, we will be premiering a stunning 'Loud Like Love' lyric video on the PLACEBO VEVO channel at midday on the 6th, so make sure you are tuned in to see that.

GibbonBlack
07-30-2013, 09:21 AM
I'm watching the We Come In Pieces DVD. Does anyone else think the directing and editing is just awful? Come to think of it I haven't eve seen a well directed Placebo concert

slave2thewage
07-30-2013, 09:33 AM
^The state of me during Breathe Underwater on that.

icklekitty
07-30-2013, 01:10 PM
They were clearly too distracted by our beauty.

Reznor2112
07-30-2013, 04:44 PM
I'm watching the We Come In Pieces DVD. Does anyone else think the directing and editing is just awful? Come to think of it I haven't eve seen a well directed Placebo concert

Not a fan much of the live concert, but I tend to watch the "Coming Up for Air" doc at least once a month.

slave2thewage
08-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Blah blah setlist from Korea blah:

Intro (mashup of Pure Morning and Svefn-g-englar by Sigur Ros)
B3
For What It's Worth
Bionic
Too Many Friends
Loud Like Love
Twenty Years (redux version)
Every You Every Me
Black Eyed
Song To Say Goodbye
Blind
Bright Lights
Meds
Slave To The Wage
Special K
The Bitter End
----------------------
Teenage Angst (new version)
Running Up That Hill
Post Blue
Infra-Red

Sweet, boring, safe Placebo.

GibbonBlack
08-03-2013, 08:55 PM
^The state of me during Breathe Underwater on that.

without seeming too creepy, which one are you. [He asked creepily]

slave2thewage
08-04-2013, 03:18 PM
^The guy in the front in the white/purple shirt that appears a lot.

eversonpoe
08-05-2013, 08:25 AM
That live DVD they released about 10 years ago for the Sleeping With Ghosts tour wasn't too bad.

"soulmates never die"? yeah, that's the only one i have (since i can't actually watch the DVD that came with the BFTS box set as it's region 2) and it's quite good.

GibbonBlack
08-05-2013, 10:04 AM
That live DVD they released about 10 years ago for the Sleeping With Ghosts tour wasn't too bad.

I haven't seen it. I'll check it out

slave2thewage
08-05-2013, 03:32 PM
http://vimeo.com/71742442

[Shep]
08-10-2013, 07:28 PM
did this get posted? sorry if I missed it.

Video for Too Many Friends...

http://www.vevo.com/watch/placebo/too-many-friends/DEUV71300772 (http://vevo.ly/fU8CAY)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
08-10-2013, 08:57 PM
Liking the new song. I didn't really care for it at first, but after listening to it in my car and catching myself singing along.. I approve. Battle for the Sun was a huge disappointment for me.

henryeatscereal
08-10-2013, 11:59 PM
;109896']did this get posted? sorry if I missed it.

Video for Too Many Friends...
(http://vevo.ly/fU8CAY)
http://www.vevo.com/watch/placebo/too-many-friends/DEUV71300772 (http://vevo.ly/fU8CAY)
Simpsons did it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q18RRxEMaos

eversonpoe
08-11-2013, 08:56 AM
i don't get everyone's beef with battle for the sun. there are one or two songs on it i don't like, but i think the rest of the album is pretty great. the title track, devil in the details & speak in tongues are three of my favorite placebo songs.

GibbonBlack
08-11-2013, 08:59 AM
i don't get everyone's beef with battle for the sun. there are one or two songs on it i don't like, but i think the rest of the album is pretty great. the title track, devil in the details & speak in tongues are three of my favorite placebo songs.

The title track is amazing

slave2thewage
08-11-2013, 11:54 AM
I has a sad that the title track didn't make the cut on this tour, it seems. Yet they continue to subject us to Post Blue and Bright Lights.

My biggest problem with them, as a live act, is that they have NO idea what songs their audience wants to hear.

henryeatscereal
08-11-2013, 03:33 PM
In my opinion "Battle for the Sun" owns "Meds" by far... And "Speak in tongues" is one of the best Placebo songs ever!!!

...still, i hate "Ashtray Heart" :/

eversonpoe
08-12-2013, 07:40 AM
In my opinion "Battle for the Sun" owns "Meds" by far... And "Speak in tongues" is one of the best Placebo songs ever!!!

...still, i hate "Ashtray Heart" :/

i actually don't mind ashtray heart, but kitty litter kinda sucks as an album opener (especially with how strong their album openers usually are).

slave2thewage
09-03-2013, 09:12 AM
PLACEBO are delighted to confirm that they will be playing two shows in the United States in October, fans will also be pleased to know that a full USA tour is scheduled for 2014.
The shows are as follows :
15th October 2013 : TERMINAL 5 - New York (ON-SALE 6th SEPT)
18th October 2013 : THE WILTERN - Los Angeles (ON SALE 6th SEPT)

NY tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/00004B1CBDA7B4E8
LA tickets: http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/09004B1CF87DCB53

[Shep]
09-04-2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SstqKcDtja8&feature=share&list=PLIF0xQ52m3qagaMgoKMY_iUmRgpU9bSfd

This sounds more like it :)

Christo
09-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Too Many Friends was to Placebo what Everything was to NIN. Though that being said I quite enjoy Loud Like Love.

slave2thewage
09-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Drip, drip...

eversonpoe
09-06-2013, 12:11 PM
anyone else get the e-mail today about a 90-minute "live tv show" to debut the album?

slave2thewage
09-06-2013, 12:22 PM
OLD NEWS :P

Yeah, it's their weakest album. I've just finished my first listen

Best tracks: Bosco, Begin The End, Exit Wounds (holy NIN tribute song with references to Brick Shithouse)
Worst: Too Many Friends, Purify (generic "fast" track), A Million Little Pieces (the last 30 seconds are good and it's not bad musically, but the lyrics are atrocious)

[Shep]
09-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Can someone please point me in the right direction of the leak, I can't seem to find it :/
EDIT: thanks Slave2thewage.

First Listen over, there's some good stuff here (Dare I say it's all good... Musically. It's the lyrics that let it down)

I can't help but think that between this and the B3 EP there could've been a single solid album.

slave2thewage
09-06-2013, 02:12 PM
"Please do not post on our forum about an album that you have obtained illegally.

thank you."

LOLOLOL. I forgot how awful the Placebo forums were. Especially THAT MOD.

slave2thewage
09-06-2013, 02:14 PM
;130355']
First Listen over, there's some good stuff here (Dare I say it's all good... Musically. It's the lyrics that let it down)

I can't help but think that between this and the B3 EP there could've been a single solid album.
The lyrics are by far the biggest problem with this album. Bosco might be my favourite song of theirs ever, lyrically. It's poignant but not too melodramatic.

A Million Little Pieces and Hold On To Me are destroyed by those lyrics, though. I might make up a playlist combining the album and B3.

[Shep]
09-06-2013, 02:16 PM
I might make up a playlist combining the album and B3.

I've done just that, just can't quite decide on a track order

icklekitty
09-06-2013, 03:24 PM
I also want to add tracks 9 and 10 from Loud Like Love to B3EP and pretend that's the real album.

Aside from that, this is easily Placebo's Slip.

[Shep]
09-06-2013, 03:26 PM
I actually like loud like love and scene of the crime. It's just that middle section of the album I think is wasted potential

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Reznor2112
09-06-2013, 03:44 PM
I'm kind of diggin it.

Loud Like Love - 3/5
Scene of the Crime - 4.5/5
Too Many Friends - 2/5 (instrumental - 4/5)
Hold on to Me - 4.5/5 (instrumentation reminds me of early 90's Cure)
Rob the Bank - 2.5/5
A Million Little Pieces - 4.75/5 (Should've been on the Cruel Intentions soundtrack & hate me for it but I LOVE this track)
Exit Wounds - 3.75/5
Purify - 2.5/5
Begin the End - 3/5
Bosco - 4/5 (Gorgeous ending)

As far as the lyrics are concerned, its a real shame that they are so generic and down right cheesey considering Brian is such an eloquently spoken person. The entire album sounds very 90's to me for some reason, which I love.

slave2thewage
09-06-2013, 06:54 PM
I'm still laughing over the blatant NIN influence on Exit Wounds.

slave2thewage
09-07-2013, 06:36 AM
Just so you guys know, if ETS still had thread subtitles, this one's would've been changed to "Album #7: Placebo covers The Slip".

henryeatscereal
09-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I heard the album and i gotta say it's a solid-average Placebo release...
I agree that the lyrics are the main "weakness" of the album, yet the disc is filled with good musical "moments" (i'll say this album has mostly "moments" than " full songs").

In a way they are becoming like AC/DC, Muse or Ministry (recording the same album with better production), even "Bosco" (That is one of my favorites...) is very similar to "Kings of Medicine" (or the lyrics of "Because i want you"), i can hear the "nod" to NIN or even Depeche Mode and even though their electronic experiments are mostly forgettable i do think it's something they are incorporating to sound a bit more "current"; ok album... 6.5/10

GibbonBlack
09-08-2013, 06:16 AM
Am I the only person that likes Too Many Friends? I recognise everyones problems with it and they're all valid points but something about it makes me smile. I haven't heard the whole album yet but if every song can make me smirk a bit it'll be cool. I'm not expecting anything amazing

slave2thewage
09-08-2013, 07:13 AM
Figured out what the music of Bosco reminds me of: the piano version of This Picture mixed with Closing Time by Semisonic. Seriously, I recognized the chord progressions at the "You know I'm grateful" verse as being lifted from something from the 90s.

EDIT: Lyrics transcribed by ear since I'm bored
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/93490072/LLLlyrics.doc

Reznor2112
09-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Just so you guys know, if ETS still had thread subtitles, this one's would've been changed to "Album #7: Placebo covers The Slip".

I just dont hear it... And Exit Wounds doesnt remind me of NIN except for the digital glitchyness but Placebo has done that before.

slave2thewage
09-08-2013, 10:52 AM
I hear Burn and Sunspots in Exit Wounds, but maybe that's just me.

kitz
09-08-2013, 04:16 PM
I just couldn't listen the album from the beginning to the end. Got bored with it after the 4th song.

That Placebo forum's reaction is so funny. Their reaction because the album leaked. Like it's the end of the world and it never happened before to anybody. :D

slave2thewage
09-08-2013, 04:43 PM
The forum thing is apparently since it's official now, but also since all the mods on there are kinda power-mad. Two in particular stand out to me.

ZeroSum
09-08-2013, 05:13 PM
This album is pretty bad....

Edit: OK, so after two listens, some of the stuff on the second half is pretty cool. The first half has some stinkers though. I think Too Many Friends might be the worst song ever made by a band that I like.... holy shit are those lyrics bad.

kitz
09-08-2013, 06:06 PM
The forum thing is apparently since it's official now, but also since all the mods on there are kinda power-mad. Two in particular stand out to me.
I was a regular there when it was semi-official. I was even a mod for years, but it's never been like that. Maybe they chose the wrong people after I left :P

Thor
09-08-2013, 06:54 PM
I haven't got the chance to hear the full new album, but I felt totally disappointed the first time I heard 'Too Many Friends', it kinda broke something in me that made me love Placebo, after that I'm not expecting to much of this record. And you know, it's not that I miss the Placebo of the 90's, my favourite album of them is Meds (and the Angkor Wat gig is one of the most beatiful things I've heard), but this time I simply don't feel it.

[Shep]
09-08-2013, 07:06 PM
this time I simply don't feel it.

This.

On reflection I like some songs on this album, I like the instrumentation on this album, but... as a cohesive whole this isn't Placebo making a record they need to make, this isn't Placebo pushing themselves in a new direction or changing the formula. This is just Placebo being Placebo, coasting.

I personally think after this round of touring they should go on a break or something for a while and come back with something to say.

Thor
09-08-2013, 07:17 PM
;131216'] I personally think after this round of touring they should go on a break or something for a while and come back with something to say.

But 'Battle for the Sun' was realised on 2009, maybe it's not so much time, but it's enough for make a good record.

[Shep]
09-08-2013, 07:20 PM
But 'Battle for the Sun' was realised on 2009, maybe it's not so much time, but it's enough for make a good record.

True. But im sure they toured that album until mid last year? then went back into the studio. (I could be wrong with my dates here)

slave2thewage
09-09-2013, 04:49 AM
;131222']True. But im sure they toured that album until mid last year? then went back into the studio. (I could be wrong with my dates here)

Last year was just a "general" tour, albeit still heavy with BFTS songs. The general consensus is that they were doing it for the money to record the album. As regards to recording, some stuff (B3, one or two LLL tracks) was recorded in early 2012 and then, I THINK, they were still writing the rest of it through that tour.

icklekitty
09-09-2013, 07:24 AM
Basically, Brian should have shut the fuck up on this album. The music itself makes sense, but these lyrics are cringeworthy. We've all heard what he actually wrote in his late teens, so I can't find an excuse for this.

icklekitty
09-10-2013, 07:07 AM
Yeah, but Trent's always written kinda lame lyrics. With Brian, he has something. Or had. Also I think Trent would shoot himself in the face before letting Too Many Friends see the light of day.

And Rob the Bank. Ugh. It's like Trigger Happy Hands, but written by a fucking moron.

slave2thewage
09-10-2013, 07:11 AM
Another thing I've noticed: Brian no longer "sings" on the faster tracks, he just shouts the lyrics.

slave2thewage
09-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Oh, great. I forgot to cancel my box set order.

The fact that I'm giving them €90 for this album disgusts me.

[Shep]
09-12-2013, 04:50 PM

Im glad I just ordered the cd for this reason.

eversonpoe
09-12-2013, 04:56 PM

oy vey. i'm sorry. i'm still pissed about several things regarding the battle for the sun box set (DVD is region 2 and they didn't say anything about it before hand, live tracks for burning to the CD-R were only ever released as MP3s), but it sure is damn pretty.

slave2thewage
09-12-2013, 05:07 PM
If it's one with a signed art print, I could probably ebay it for a good price. Failing that, I'm sure the "Alternative Videos" DVD will be hysterically awful so at least it will be entertaining.

slave2thewage
09-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Sorry for the double post, BUT:

To further my reputation as PM Queen of ETS, if anyone needs the iTunes bonus track... you know what to do. It's REALLY good.

henryeatscereal
09-14-2013, 12:43 AM
Bought the "Limited deluxe edition" today... (the price for the boxset is laughable in the bad way...)
Nothing much to see here: (fragile) digipack, booklet, the regular cd and a 8 song DVD called "Live at the Rak studios", it's a bit late so i'll be checking the DVD tomorrow...

Edit: "A Million Little Pieces" is officially my favorite song from the album...

dzaver
09-14-2013, 12:50 AM
Bought the "Limited deluxe edition" today... (the prince for the boxset is laughable in the bad way...)
Nothing much to see here: (fragile) digipack, booklet, the regular cd and a 8 song DVD called "Live at the Rak studios", it's a bit late so'll be checking the DVD tomorrow...

Edit: "A Million Little Pieces" is officially my favorite song from the album...

are there lyrics inside?

henryeatscereal
09-14-2013, 01:09 AM
are there lyrics inside?
Nope, just "one liners" taken from "Loud Like Love", to be honest i was disappointed...

The booklet artwork is mostly it's the "exploding colors" art with superimposed pictures of Brian, Stefan and Steve and a centerfold picture of the band where they suspiciously look like U2 circa "Joshua Tree" (not making this up, even Stefan's beard kinda reminds me to The Edge...)

dzaver
09-14-2013, 02:29 AM
Nope, just "one liners" taken from "Loud Like Love", to be honest i was disappointed...

The booklet artwork is mostly it's the "exploding colors" art with superimposed pictures of Brian, Stefan and Steve and a centerfold picture of the band where they suspiciously look like U2 circa "Joshua Tree" (not making this up, even Stefan's beard kinda reminds me to The Edge...)

that sucks big time :(

henryeatscereal
09-15-2013, 02:18 AM
that sucks big time :(
It does but what the hell...

I watched the "Live" DVD, they play 7 songs from the new album (plus the itunes edition bonus track: "Pity Party (of One)")

The session is ok, and nicely filmed (even though is very similar to the bonus DVD it came with NIN's, The Slip), Brian looks just like in the 90's and i was amazed to see a girl play with them (No, i'm not referring to the drummer...)
Other than that there's no more extras in the DVD.

slave2thewage
09-15-2013, 11:02 AM
and i was amazed to see a girl play with them (No, i'm not referring to the drummer...)
You obviously haven't seen them play live in a while :P

Oh yeah, apparently it seems the live lineup is the same as the BFTS tour. I can keep perving at Nick when I get bored!

icklekitty
09-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Mmm, Fiona. So much upskirt.

henryeatscereal
09-15-2013, 11:43 AM
You obviously haven't seen them play live in a while :P

Oh yeah, apparently it seems the live lineup is the same as the BFTS tour. I can keep perving at Nick when I get bored!
The first time i saw them was waaay back in 2001 (The first Placebo gig in Mexico, ever).
Second time was during the "Sleeping with ghosts tour" and the last time for me was back in 2005, during the "Greatest hits tour", so yeah, it's been a while for me...

They played a date nearby, during the "Battle for the sun" tour but i wasn't able to attend... (I regret it because i have never seen them with the "new" drummer).

On topic: It seems there will be a "live session" streaming live tomorrow at 8 (UK time).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpRZXGr0jKo

Reznor2112
09-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Ok, I am in fucking love with this album.

Most notably Exit Wounds (fuck me, that chorus!) Scene of the Crime, and A Million Little Pieces.

And this may sound dumb, but I get goosebumps every time I hear the line "we have craved them" from Loud Like Love...not sure why, the music mixed with Brian's vocals are just haunting in that little second.

slave2thewage
09-16-2013, 09:30 AM
Box set came (unsigned :() and it's quite gorgeous.

Alternative Videos DVD notes:
Loud Like Love - the lazy fuckers just put the lyrics video on.
Scene of the Crime - pretty but boring. Just a couple dancing/fighting.
Too Many Friends - actually good.
Hold On To Me - boring, just like the song.
Rob The Bank - I really like the video, but it doesn't really suit the song.
A Million Little Pieces - pretty bad. Also, lol nudity.
Exit Wounds - really good, it's like something from the SWG/Meds era of videos.
Purify - darkest Placebo video for a while. I quite like it, even though it's hardly subtle.
Begin The End - Love it. The end is a bit odd.
Bosco - UGH. It LOOKS pretty, but it's pretty nonsensical. Pretty pissed off with that right now.

[Shep]
09-16-2013, 11:31 AM
What tracks are on the rehearsal dvd? (Im assuming that those will be the ones getting heavy rotation on the tour)

henryeatscereal
09-16-2013, 11:37 AM
;134342']What tracks are on the rehearsal dvd? (Im assuming that those will be the ones getting heavy rotation on the tour)

In order:

1. Loud Like Love
2. Scene of the Crime
3. Too Many Friends
4. Purify
5. Pity party (for one)
6. Exit Wounds
7. A Million little Pieces
8. Begin the End

[Shep]
09-16-2013, 11:42 AM
Hmmm I guess im ok with most of that list.
Is pity party available as a stand alone track on itunes or am I going go have to aquire it illegally? (Im not paying for the full album twice)

henryeatscereal
09-16-2013, 11:52 AM
;134347']Hmmm I guess im ok with most of that list.
Is pity party available as a stand alone track on itunes or am I going go have to aquire it illegally? (Im not paying for the full album twice)

I think is just available in itunes, im cool without it... the song is nothing special... :/

slave2thewage
09-16-2013, 12:32 PM
I really like Pity Party :/

Also, another chance to spam my inbox: I ripped the audio for the rehearsal DVD.

dzaver
09-17-2013, 01:08 AM
I must say that I listen to the new Placebo album more than the NIN album these days... don't know why really

henryeatscereal
09-17-2013, 09:16 AM
I must say that I listen to the new Placebo album more than the NIN album these days... don't know why really
Me too, but i figured out why: You don't need to pay much attention to it... so it's "easier to listen" (not necessarily a bad thing).

The new NIN album demands more attention...

On a sad note: i'm getting bored of LLL really fast (it usually happens with the Placebo albums but it takes longer usually... the only album that never bores me by them is the first one)

Self.Destructive.Pattern
09-17-2013, 06:25 PM
This album stinks... besides a few good eye openers, it drags and drags for me. I'll go back to listening to everything up to Meds.

kitz
09-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Last year was just a "general" tour, albeit still heavy with BFTS songs. The general consensus is that they were doing it for the money to record the album.
Okay, this is another reason I'm not a fan of them anymore. You can smell that they are doing it now just for that stupid money.
Aren't they famous and rich enough to record an album without a tour?

icklekitty
09-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Although the last tour was pretty outstanding. I mean, Brian actually opened his mouth and engaged with the audience for a whole ten minutes in a row!!

slave2thewage
09-19-2013, 08:31 AM
I can't really bitch about them doing stuff for money. They've always made it clear that they consider the band as a "job".

henryeatscereal
09-19-2013, 10:40 AM
Full show from the 16th:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSm-09gU1zg

voidnz
09-29-2013, 07:20 PM
LLL Has some bad lyrics, going to agree with all of you here, but musically I really like it. It's not the best Placebo record but there are some really good tracks which sound like classic Placebo

Deadpool
09-29-2013, 10:36 PM
I'm getting a lot of enjoyment out of LOUD LIKE LOVE. Really solid album - no filler. The full LOUD LIKE LOVE TV was actually very cool, too. Cheesy at times, but the studio performances and especially Stef's "history lesson" on the band was moving and great.

slave2thewage
11-26-2013, 05:12 AM
Rob The Bank is rumoured to be the new single, apparently some magazine in Poland blabbed about it. Ugh.

Continuing the "Ugh" factor, the setlist from this tour leg in Europe... isn't great. Regardez:

B3
For What It's Worth
Loud Like Love
Twenty Years (Redux Version)
Every You Every Me
Too Many Friends
Scene Of The Crime
A Million Little Pieces
Speak In Tongues
Rob The Bank
Purify
Space Monkey
Blind
Exit Wounds
Song To Say Goodbye
Special K
The Bitter End
----------------
Teenage Angst (2013 Version)
Running Up That Hill
Post Blue
Infra-Red

[Shep]
11-26-2013, 09:11 AM
Rob the bank?! Who is making these decisions??

And that set list is just... dull. Hoping they'll have added a few less frequently played songs by the time they roll around to Manchester (but I doubt it)

icklekitty
11-26-2013, 09:14 AM
Ew. Do we have to do this tour?

slave2thewage
11-27-2013, 04:55 AM
Apparently Brian already looks bored on tour. I have this feeling the end is near :/

kitz
11-27-2013, 05:59 AM
So many people are complaining about the curtain. Brian explained its purpose.
It's from PFWW:

right after the song "Too Many Friends" was done, he asked us how many of us had watched that song through a screen (meaning a phone or camera or whatever electronic recording device we might have)... And then said we watch them through a screen and now it's their turn to watch us through a screen. He was nice and smiling about it and said 'if you know what I mean?'.
That's just rude.

GibbonBlack
11-27-2013, 06:15 AM
So many people are complaining about the curtain.

The curtain?

kitz
11-27-2013, 07:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQafpeV2mp0

You can see that it's between the band and the crowd. just right in front of the stage.

[Shep]
11-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Well that just seems unnecessary.

slave2thewage
11-27-2013, 07:51 AM
This tour is just a trainwreck. This whole era is.

henryeatscereal
11-27-2013, 08:16 PM
I think the "Meds" era was even worse, the album is OK, but you can see they are clearly lost during it, i think this era is mostly "generic", just like LLL, not good, not bad, but "generic"...

[Shep]
11-27-2013, 08:33 PM
Interesting. I think Meds was thier last solid album. Why do you think the 'era' was worse than this??

henryeatscereal
11-27-2013, 11:25 PM
;154621']Interesting. I think Meds was thier last solid album. Why do you think the 'era' was worse than this??
Mostly because the band was going through a lot of shit during that time (the album leaking way before it was released, Steve resigned from the band...), even Brian admits that they were difficult times (on the "Battle for the Sun" special edition DVD).

As i said: i like "Meds", not my favorite but i don't hate the album and just like you i think it's solid, still in my opinion, that era almost ended Placebo's career...

icklekitty
11-28-2013, 04:47 AM
I think all their albums and EPs were very good up until LLL. I'm not kidding when I say it's their The Slip.