PDA

View Full Version : Placebo

Pages : 1 [2]

henryeatscereal
12-10-2013, 09:26 AM
It seems Placebo will be playing at the "Vive Latino" festival (NIN, will be there too!), i'm debating if i'll go or not... it's been a while since i saw them live, yet i'm not much into them lately...

ManBurning
12-10-2013, 12:02 PM
It seems Placebo will be playing at the "Vive Latino" festival (NIN, will be there too!), i'm debating if i'll go or not... it's been a while since i saw them live, yet i'm not much into them lately...

Yeah but... NIN, man! NIN comes to your city, and you don't even wanna go!? Plus I seem to recall you saying you really like The Arcade Fire, they're gonna be there as well. This is total win-win for you. Arcade Fire, NIN and Placebo? I think it's a done deal my friend!

Seriously, when that lineup came out, I immediately though of you and how estatic you were probably going over this. You can't miss this!

henryeatscereal
12-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Yeah but... NIN, man! NIN comes to your city, and you don't even wanna go!? Plus I seem to recall you saying you really like The Arcade Fire, they're gonna be there as well. This is total win-win for you. Arcade Fire, NIN and Placebo? I think it's a done deal my friend!

Seriously, when that lineup came out, I immediately though of you and how estatic you were probably going over this. You can't miss this!
Oh yeah i'm definitely going to NIN, lol!
Since the Festival is 4 days you got either two choices: buy the "whole festival ticket" or buy "individual" days... NIN is playing on Thursday the 27th, Arcade Fire on Friday 28, and Placebo on Sunday the 30th...
NIN is a lock for me, so i could just buy the Thursday ticket and done deal, still like you mentioned i really like Arcade Fire, so the Friday ticket it's a maybe (and i say maybe mostly because of the money, not because i don't want to see these guys...)
If i'm already paying for the Thursday and Friday's tickets if i'm watching Placebo is better to buy the "festival ticket", since the price is mostly the ticket for three days...

So yeah, i guess i'm buying the "festival ticket" but i'll end up just going 3 days, still it's a great deal for NIN/Arcade Fire/Placebo

slave2thewage
12-10-2013, 02:20 PM
My Glasgow ticket still hasn't turned up. It was sent on November 28th and the gig is on Friday. NNNNNNNGH.

[Shep]
12-10-2013, 08:00 PM
My Glasgow ticket still hasn't turned up. It was sent on November 28th and the gig is on Friday. NNNNNNNGH.

Same with my tickets to Manchester. :/

slave2thewage
12-11-2013, 08:06 AM
;157459']Same with my tickets to Manchester. :/
I hate Seetickets so much. They always seem to mess up orders. I managed to wing box office collection for Glasgow last night. But yeah, I heard they completely screwed up all the presale tickets in Amsterdam so that people didn't get in for an hour after the doors opened.

Reznor2112
12-12-2013, 08:01 AM
Live at RAK Studios for those that did not get the 2 disc set

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNFMcaNxHgY

slave2thewage
01-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Thought Glasgow was pretty poor, but the Brixton shows were quite good.

slave2thewage
01-28-2014, 09:57 AM
Judging from the Instagram account, we're getting something recorded soon enough. The current speculation is some acoustic recordings.

Also, US tour is heavily rumoured for May.

Reznor2112
01-28-2014, 10:03 AM
Judging from the Instagram account, we're getting something recorded soon enough. The current speculation is some acoustic recordings.

Also, US tour is heavily rumoured for May.

I was curious as to what those pics were from...interesting

Fingers crossed for US tour but I am betting is will only be a few shows. Nothing close to my location.

slave2thewage
03-15-2014, 12:23 AM
Bad news: US tour isn't happening due to "complications", according to an interview with Steve. And yet they're doing an actual tour of Russia. Also, "Loud Like Love" has just been released as a single WITH ZERO PUBLICITY. Here's the (quite bad) video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04_i9pWyUuM

On the plus side, one of the B-sides is an acoustic version, which is probably the source of those mysterious Instagram pics. There's also remixes, but one is godawful and one is just average IMO.

Reznor2112
03-15-2014, 08:53 AM
Bad news: US tour isn't happening due to "complications", according to an interview with Steve. And yet they're doing an actual tour of Russia. Also, "Loud Like Love" has just been released as a single WITH ZERO PUBLICITY. Here's the (quite bad) video:
On the plus side, one of the B-sides is an acoustic version, which is probably the source of those mysterious Instagram pics. There's also remixes, but one is godawful and one is just average IMO.

What the fucking fuck?? FUCK

Whats up with these random videos that require your attention to be off the actual damn song. Im all about experimentation but when I watch or direct a music video I am solely focusing on the band, the song and the story. This does none.

henryeatscereal
03-15-2014, 01:02 PM
At least it seems the Mexican dates are still up, i just saw that his show at "El Plaza" is sold out, guess i'll have to catch them at the "Vive Latino" festival...

Deepvoid
08-22-2014, 11:02 AM
New North American tour just announced. Will definitely try to hit the Montreal date.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk/news/placebo-announce-north-american-tour

Reznor2112
08-22-2014, 04:16 PM
New North American tour just announced. Will definitely try to hit the Montreal date.

http://www.placeboworld.co.uk/news/placebo-announce-north-american-tour

Shitty tour. Fuck that. 9 ACTUAL US dates. 2 Canada

Lame. They aren't going any where farther south than maryland on the eastern half of the country.

Throw_it_away9
08-22-2014, 04:33 PM
Can't wait for that LA date! (I missed them last year when they were here)

october_midnight
08-22-2014, 04:48 PM
How do you think I feel? Had tickets for the wife and I a few years back at the Commodore, which is a small club...which was postponed with the promise to reschedule. Never happened...

zaps30
08-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Eh, pass. I haven't really been too impressed with the last two albums enough to see them again. IIRC I saw them in 1999 co-headlining with Stabbing Westward and then in 2007. I think it's only been twice. I'll have to check the ticket stubs again. If they were playing in Providence again, then maybe...but I'm not going up to Boston to see them.

zaps30
08-26-2014, 11:30 AM
For shits and giggles, I checked ticket prices for the Boston show...basically $40 a ticket. Haha. Yeah. OK.

Deepvoid
09-30-2014, 01:02 PM
Just found out that there's no chance I'll hear Pure Morning at the Montreal show. It appears Brian Molko doesn't like that song very much. I'm a little bummed about that.

slave2thewage
09-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Yeah, there's pretty much .005% of hearing that live until Molko and Olsdal pull their heads out of their asses.

GURLS, JUST BE A NOSTALGIA ACT ALREADY PLSKTHNX.

Deepvoid
09-30-2014, 01:22 PM
Yeah, there's pretty much .005% of hearing that live until Molko and Olsdal pull their heads out of their asses.

GURLS, JUST BE A NOSTALGIA ACT ALREADY PLSKTHNX.

Not sure if you are being sarcastic here.
Is Pure Morning considered a shitty song amongst hardcore fans?

I haven't been into this band for very long. It will be my first Placebo concert so yeah I kinda want to hear that old popular song.

slave2thewage
09-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Nah, sorry for sounding sarcastic, it's been this long running thing that the band ignore a lot of their old (and, frankly, best) songs and basically play garbage setlists because they "relate to them right now". Which basically means songs from Meds and the new album.

Deepvoid
09-30-2014, 01:31 PM
I haven't even heard the new album. Will try to check it out before the show.
I looked at a few videos online. I like that they're opening with B3. Good choice.

Throw_it_away9
09-30-2014, 05:46 PM
I dig the new album.

Seen them a few times. Gave up long ago on hearing Pure Morning. What I wouldn't give to hear it though....

PS-Never really got into Running up that hill until hearing it live.

armogi
09-30-2014, 08:05 PM
let's wait for 2016 and the inevitable 20th anniversary tour where they will play the first record front to back and suddenly realize and claim it's the best thing they've ever done, until then...

henryeatscereal
09-30-2014, 08:11 PM
let's wait for 2016 and the inevitable 20th anniversary tour where they will play the first record front to back and suddenly realize and claim it's the best thing they've ever done, until then...
I hope that happens, always wanted to listen to "Bruise Pristine" live...

slave2thewage
09-30-2014, 08:31 PM
I've heard 36 Degrees live *files nails*.

I think we're not getting another album for a LONG time. They're probably going to do one-off tours for the next few years.

GibbonBlack
09-30-2014, 08:56 PM
I've heard 36 Degrees live *files nails*.

Marry me....

slave2thewage
09-30-2014, 09:00 PM
It was the slow version AND I SOBBED.

icklekitty
10-01-2014, 06:34 AM
*cough* Scared of Girls *cough*

I hope they do stay out of the studio for a while. It took NIN at least four years? Yeah, that.

No idea what will make them start sucking live though. Or rather, her.

GibbonBlack
10-01-2014, 06:49 AM
I hope they do stay out of the studio for a while. .

they should take as long as they can to avoid making anything like Loud Like Love again

Deepvoid
10-09-2014, 11:46 AM
Setlist for the first US show is

1- Every You Every Me
2- Scene of a Crime
3- One of a Kind
4- Twenty Years
5- For What's It's Worth
6- Purify
7- Song to Say Goodbye
8- Special K
9- The Bitter End
10- Begin The End
11- Running Up That Hill
12- Post Blue
13- Infra-Red

That looks awfully short. Thank god I got freebies for this one.

Edit: Clearly setlist FM is not right. Videos on Youtube tell a different story. Looks like the same setlist as the EU festivals.

eversonpoe
10-09-2014, 01:47 PM
Setlist for the first US show is

1- Every You Every Me
2- Scene of a Crime
3- One of a Kind
4- Twenty Years
5- For What's It's Worth
6- Purify
7- Song to Say Goodbye
8- Special K
9- The Bitter End
10- Begin The End
11- Running Up That Hill
12- Post Blue
13- Infra-Red

That looks awfully short. Thank god I got freebies for this one.

Edit: Clearly setlist FM is not right. Videos on Youtube tell a different story. Looks like the same setlist as the EU festivals.

yeah, that would be a pretty amazing setlist that doesn't really seem like they'd play it these days :(

slave2thewage
10-09-2014, 04:44 PM
yeah, that would be a pretty amazing setlist that doesn't really seem like they'd play it these days :(
To be honest, that just looks like a shortened version of the setlist from the first leg of the tour.

eversonpoe
10-09-2014, 05:09 PM
To be honest, that just looks like a shortened version of the setlist from the first leg of the tour.

oh, really? a lot of those songs are good! i'd be happy with that setlist!

slave2thewage
10-09-2014, 05:11 PM
This seems to be legit:

B3
For What It's Worth
Loud Like Love
Every You Every Me
Scene of the Crime
A Million Little Pieces
Twenty Years
Too Many Friends
Rob the Bank
Purify
One of a Kind
Exit Wounds
Meds
Song to Say Goodbye
Special K
The Bitter End
------------------------------
Begin the End
Running Up That Hill
Post Blue
Infra-red

icklekitty
10-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Yeah. It's a bit "ooh! ew. ooh! ew!"

hythloth
10-09-2014, 11:00 PM
Going to the Boston show, but that USA setlist is just weak. They're playing Twenty Years, Purify, and Begin the End in lieu of Allergic, Space Monkey, and Teenage Angst which were played earlier this year. Only one song off of WYIN, BMM, and SWG is such a waste.

slave2thewage
10-09-2014, 11:13 PM
Going to the Boston show, but that USA Loud Like Love tour setlist is just weak.

Fixed that for you :P.

Having heard Space Monkey three times last December, I thought it sounded a lot weaker than it did back on the Meds tour. I'd kill to hear Allergic live, though.

Deepvoid
10-10-2014, 09:52 PM
Fixed that for you :P.

Having heard Space Monkey three times last December, I thought it sounded a lot weaker than it did back on the Meds tour. I'd kill to hear Allergic live, though.

How does Breath Underwater sound live? One of my fav.

slave2thewage
10-10-2014, 09:56 PM
How does Breath Underwater sound live? One of my fav.

Fab live. Have you seen the last live DVD? The crowd closeups for that track are just me and icklekitty . ETS represent.

Deepvoid
10-11-2014, 08:53 AM
Fab live. Have you seen the last live DVD? The crowd closeups for that track are just me and @icklekitty (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=47) . ETS represent.

Really? That's awesome. I'll check it out.

slave2thewage
10-12-2014, 12:51 AM
I was just thinking - what are the chances they'll keep playing Too Many Friends after this touring cycle is done? ;)

Brian's been stating in interviews that he wants to play Bosco live in the future, so I guess that means I'll just have to keep checking out their shows.

hythloth
10-13-2014, 01:22 PM
I was just thinking - what are the chances they'll keep playing Too Many Friends after this touring cycle is done? ;)

Very likely, given the band's tendency to play newer songs. I don't get how Molko can be ashamed of his back catalogue, yet keep a straight face when singing about his gay computer an the Champs-Élysées.

Brian's been stating in interviews that he wants to play Bosco live in the future, so I guess that means I'll just have to keep checking out their shows.

If they like it so much, what has prevented them from playing it in the past year?

Mixed feelings about the Boston show - I liked the one we got, but I couldn't help feeling disappointed that I didn't get the show I wanted. I don't get the fixation on the tracks from Meds and the songs from Loud Like Love (which flopped all over the world). The current setlist serves neither the casual nor the die-hard fans.

Molko needs to quit the method acting and start performing balanced shows. Look, here's an example:

B3
For What It's Worth
Loud Like Love
Allergic
Every You Every Me
Scene of the Crime
A Million Little Pieces
English Summer Rain
Too Many Friends
Rob the Bank
Soulmates
Slave to the Wage
Passive Aggressive
Meds
Songs to Say Goodbye
Special K
The Bitter End

Teenage Angst (bass version)
Running Up That Hill
This Picture
Infra-Red

Or how about this setlist that was played at Australian festivals this spring: http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/placebo/2014/rna-showgrounds-brisbane-australia-43c553f7.html

Deepvoid
10-13-2014, 10:16 PM
Just got back from the show in Montreal.
I wasn't really impressed. It was good but nothing to get all excited for.
Some songs really made an impact on the crowd but others fail to connect.
Sound was ok. Production was non-existent. Molko sounded good. Drum sounded muffled for the first few songs.
I had a freebie so I'm not gonna complain too much. Setlist was the exact same as the previous shows.
The "gay computer" line his hilarious indeed.

icklekitty
10-14-2014, 07:41 AM
just got back from the show in montreal.
I wasn't really impressed. It was good but nothing to get all excited for.
Some songs really made an impact on the crowd but others fail to connect.
Sound was ok. Production was non-existent. Molko sounded good. Drum sounded muffled for the first few songs.
I had a freebie so i'm not gonna complain too much. Setlist was the exact same as the previous shows.
The "gay computer" line his hilarious indeed.

************welcome to placebo***************

Deepvoid
10-14-2014, 07:53 AM
I forgot to mention that the band had a strict no photo/video policy.
It was hilarious seeing security going through the pit asking people to stop filming with their phones.
I was hanging at a bar located on the right side of the stage and this guy in front of me received a warning mid-way through the show.
That was a first for me and I've been to countless shows.

slave2thewage
10-27-2014, 08:49 AM
Currently on the road in North America to conclude an epic album campaign, touring their critically acclaimed 7th studio album 'Loud Like Love', Placebo today announce that they will return to the UK and Ireland in February/ March 2015 to play their most extensive run of shows since 2006.

The tour kicks off in Dublin on the 25th February, and ends in London at Hammersmith’s EventIM Apollo on March 24th, taking in cities the band haven’t played for many years.

This extensive UK tour is something the band have been wanting to do for a long time, marking the start of an exciting series of events and releases planned ahead of the bands 20th Anniversary celebrations in 2016, looking back over an incredible catalogue of such songs as Nancy Boy, Pure Morning, Taste In Men, Special K and this fan favourite, The Bitter End

Placebo have now survived nearly 20 years of love, hate, blood, sweat, tears, break ups and harmony all the whilst toting up over 1 million album sales in the UK, and over 12 million albums sold worldwide, and are still going strong.

They have played to the most loyal fans in over 63 different countries, ranging from football stadiums in Chile to temples in Cambodia and a disused mine at a UNESCO world heritage site in Germany.

Today, Brian Molko has also revealed that he is releasing a retrospective book containing his own selection of lyrics from throughout his 20-year career at the helm of Placebo. Titled ‘Brian Molko – Selected’ the book is available to order from BrianMolko.com on Friday 31st October.

The full List of tour dates and ticket links is below, General Admission tickets go on sale Friday 31st October at 9am :
25th Feb 2015 - Dublin, Olympia
26th Feb 2015 - Belfast, Waterfont Hall
28th Feb 2015 - Edinburgh, Corn Exchange
1st Mar 2015 - Glasgow, o2 Academy
3rd Mar 2015 - Aberdeen, Music Hall
4th Mar 2015 - Newcastle o2 Academy
6th Mar 2015 - Hull, City Hall
7th Mar 2015 - Blackburn, King George’s Hall
9th Mar 2015 - Leeds, o2 Academy
10th Mar 2015 - Liverpool, Guild Of Students
12th Mar 2015 - Manchester, o2 Apollo
13th Mar 2015 - Sheffield, o2 Academy
15th Mar 2015 - Norwich, UEA
16th Mar 2015 - Leicester, De Montfort Hall
18th Mar 2015 - Birmingham, o2 Academy
19th Mar 2015 - Bristol, Colston Hall
21st Mar 2015 - Bournemouth, o2 Academy
22nd Mar 2015 - Southend, Cliffs Pavillion
24th Mar 2015 - London, EventIM Apollo

Support comes from Scotland’s - The Mirror Trap

[Shep]
10-27-2014, 08:58 PM
I'll be at the Manchester show. (Although I'm hoping for a better setlist this time around)

GibbonBlack
10-27-2014, 10:02 PM
I'll likely go to the Bristol show as it's only an hour away

Reznor2112
10-28-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm assuming I will never be able to see them live :(

slave2thewage
10-29-2014, 04:34 PM
Got tickets in the presale for Dublin, Glasgow and London. Now I need to get Belfast, Aberdeen and Bristol on Friday.

dvdglss
10-30-2014, 10:53 AM
I almost saw them in Seattle back for Sleeping with Ghosts tour, but it was a 21+ show... i flew from Miami to see them... i was depressed and i'll really NEVER get to see them...

at least i saw them webcast in '98 with Bowie in NYC lol!

slave2thewage
10-31-2014, 12:31 PM
Didn't get Bristol tickets, but not that bothered. Also, I ended up going for the book and that was a NIGHTMARE. The site crashed in the middle of my order and was down for hours and they charged my card twice. And then when I checked my account on the site when it went back up, there was no record of an order. After some emailing, I have a signed copy on the way and they're refunding me the second charge. Phew.

slave2thewage
02-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Steve Forrest leaves Placebo (http://www.placeboworld.co.uk/news/steve-forrest-leaves-placebo-pursue-personal-musical-ambitions)

Not that surprising, to be honest. He's always seemed to have felt a bit constrained by the other two.

henryeatscereal
02-02-2015, 10:24 AM
Never liked Forrest to be honest, not bad news there, wish Hewitt would come back, but i don't think it will happen...

Reznor2112
02-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Jesus, their entire back catalog minus (BFTS and LLL) are selling for $200+ EACH on vinyl...dammit

slave2thewage
02-10-2015, 10:29 AM
Jesus, their entire back catalog minus (BFTS and LLL) are selling for $200+ EACH on vinyl...dammit

Heh, they just announced all the albums are being reissued on vinyl.

eversonpoe
02-10-2015, 01:23 PM

yaaaaay! i have been waiting for that to happen so i can get my hands on them.

Reznor2112
02-10-2015, 03:32 PM

Whaaaaaaaaa???!!?1?1?!1 :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edit: just saw the PLACEBO 20 post on thier Facebook. Awesome. Explains why their back catalog isn't on Spotify

[Shep]
03-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Anyone else here been to the shows on this leg yet?
I've just got back from the Manchester show...

The set list hasn't changed a bit since the first leg a year and a half ago, except that they've dug up I Know and Special Needs.

So if you saw the first leg don't be too excited for anything new.

slave2thewage
03-13-2015, 03:19 AM
I did Dublin, Belfast, Glasgow and Aberdeen. I think the performance is better than the previous leg, but they really should have changed up the setlist a lot more. That stretch of four LLL songs in a row does not work at all. Dublin was a great show, Aberdeen was great but the crowd was dead until they started playing singles, Glasgow and Belfast were just snoozefests.

lloyd_dhr
03-19-2015, 01:27 PM
I was at the Birmingham gig last night. First time I've seen them since 2000, when I started getting bored with their live show. The gig was as soulless as I'd feared. Molko moaned about a fan taking his photo. Very strange atmosphere, not bad, just.... somewhat detached.

eversonpoe
08-05-2015, 04:53 PM
yaaaaay! i have been waiting for that to happen so i can get my hands on them.

oh, apparently i did know about all the albums being reissued on vinyl...but i forgot about it until i got an e-mail last night.

oops i ordered all of them :rolleyes:
(black vinyl, the colors are pretty but not worth THAT much extra money)
also did separate shipping because it was only like $5 more TOTAL than getting them all shipped together.

Reznor2112
08-05-2015, 06:18 PM
oh, apparently i did know about all the albums being reissued on vinyl...but i forgot about it until i got an e-mail last night.

oops i ordered all of them :rolleyes:
(black vinyl, the colors are pretty but not worth THAT much extra money)
also did separate shipping because it was only like $5 more TOTAL than getting them all shipped together.

Duuuuude...how did you not know this....haha

So stoked. I really hate to see Meds and SWG disappear because I def can NOT pre-order them at the moment. :(

[Shep]
09-07-2015, 03:54 PM
WYIM BSides streaming 25th September

eversonpoe
09-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Wowzers...BMB and SWG going for $52 in the Amazon store. But they're not coming out until December and February, so that gives me time to plan at least.

I already own WYIN, and I bought the S/T reissue because it's already available. Will be interested to read about how the WYIN reissue sounds, because that will determine if I throw down $100+ for the other two

you're much better off buying direct from the placebo website. that's what i did.

slave2thewage
09-09-2015, 06:19 PM
The Unplugged DVD is apparently out in November.

eversonpoe
10-05-2015, 08:55 AM
so i got an e-mail yesterday saying "delivery 3 for your order has been cancelled because we weren't able to capture payment." i went on to the store website to check what that meant and it seems like the part of my order that would have been "without you i'm nothing" isn't coming. what's confusing is that i already paid for everything. so i have to figure out what to do.

cicada
11-10-2015, 10:35 PM
I still love Meds...

Looking fwd to listening to the unplugged.

Exocet
11-10-2015, 11:14 PM
I love their first album from 1996...they felt like such a breath of fresh air during the whole Britpop macho lad era. British alternative music was always about eccentric outcasts, in the 80s we had Morrissey, Robert Smith, Cocteau Twins, Jesus and Mary Chain, they were all difficult outsiders. In the 90s they were all normal... the whole queer outsider thing had been eradicated in the 90s. Brian was like the anti Noel Gallagher/Damon Albarn.

I love the video for Teenage Angst.

eversonpoe
11-11-2015, 07:47 AM
Their videos were fucking right from their first album to SWG. That '36 Degrees' video they filmed in the bog, and Brian was allegedly crying because the water was freezing and the director wouldn't let him get out..

wasn't that directed by chris cunningham?

yup! haha

The music video, directed by Chris Cunningham (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chris_Cunningham), was shot primarily in a scuba diving pool and shows band members performing the song underwater. Some scenes were shot in a swamp (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swamp)-like area and show Brian Molko singing the lyrics with just his head above the surface of the water. Later band members revealed that this video was extremely hard to shoot and they would never make one underwater again. Chris Cunningham also claimed in an interview that he made Molko cry, having him in the frigid water for hours.

Exocet
11-11-2015, 06:03 PM
Yeah ive seen a few of those Chris Cunningham early Britpop Alternative/Indie music videos. I think the Placebo one is the best of his early work.

Its interesting. how he very suddenly shifted from good but unremarkable director to then teaming up with Warp records and becoming a shape shifting, jaw dropping, ground breaking, mind blowing ...just...most innovative music video director on the planet!

slave2thewage
11-12-2015, 09:59 AM
You Don't Care About Us is one of their greatest singles and the band acts like the song never existed. UGH.

henryeatscereal
11-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Speaking of "forgotten Placebo-classics", has the band played "I Know" recently?
It's one of the greatest Placebo songs ever; i've seen them live 3 times and they always let me down when it's not on the setlist, i bet they only played the damn song in the first album tour and that's it...

slave2thewage
11-12-2015, 02:53 PM
I Know performances:

Meds Tour - Arena Leg 2006, 2007 European shows
2012 Summer tour
2015 shows

I've heard it a bunch of times and, being honest, I don't think it transfers well live.

henryeatscereal
11-13-2015, 12:26 PM
damn, i guess that's why they don't play it, you're right i looked for a live version and found this one, no problem with the performance but Molko's voice doesn't sound like the 90's at all...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_tOWNYOViE

henryeatscereal
11-24-2015, 01:26 PM
No problem with the "Only" LED curtain on the show, but finishing with the "Placebo" logo at the end looked like a NIN ripoff...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qk8JZcisYpY

Excluding that, got no complaints, looking to buy it this weekend...

slave2thewage
11-26-2015, 05:06 PM
This video has just surfaced with the audio of the Unplugged show.

https://vimeo.com/147048077

fillow
11-26-2015, 05:13 PM
No problem with the "Only" LED curtain on the show, but finishing with the "Placebo" logo at the end looked like a NIN ripoff...

Right, because NIN totally invented displaying band's logo on LEDs and backdrops...

slave2thewage
11-26-2015, 05:18 PM
NIN have been an influence on the visual side of Placebo's shows since the early 2000s. The BFTS tour was taking some definite visual cues from Lights in the Sky and Corbijn's visuals for Depeche Mode.

GibbonBlack
11-26-2015, 08:34 PM
I saw them in Bournemouth in 2009 and they had three screens behind them very similar to the ones used in And All That Could Have Been

slave2thewage
11-27-2015, 07:31 AM
The Unplugged version of Slave To The Wage doesn't have the "run away" section of the outro.

Major side-eye going on right now.

slave2thewage
11-28-2015, 09:46 PM
I saw them in Bournemouth in 2009 and they had three screens behind them very similar to the ones used in And All That Could Have Been
Those shows had one screen behind them, but it was frequently divided into three sections so I understand the confusion. I've always wanted an official release of a show from the Meds arena tour because those projections were insane - just very random (for the most part) and claustrophobic. Plus I've forgotten what they had on the screens for Cops, but I remember that one part had a heavily processed video of those lights running across the tops of underground tunnels and the whole thing was just eerie and quite melancholy. Worked very well with that song.

GibbonBlack
11-29-2015, 08:14 AM
Those shows had one screen behind them, but it was frequently divided into three sections so I understand the confusion.

Ah my mistake. I don't know why but that whole gig is a complete blur to me.

Are there any Placebo bootleg sites ninlive.com but for Placebo?

henryeatscereal
11-29-2015, 10:20 PM
Right, because NIN totally invented displaying band's logo on LEDs and backdrops...
I'm sure NIN didn't invented that, but the effect and the curtain reminded me a lot to the "Only" performance for the "Lights in the sky" tour, 'course i could be wrong since it's just my opinion, but that's what it looks to me.

On topic: Got the Unplugged CD/DVD version, heard the CD and liked it, but i still have to check out the DVD...

Reznor2112
12-01-2015, 02:31 PM
The Spotify version sounds like there is some over-modulation or peaking on Brian's vocals every no and then...maybe it's just me.

slave2thewage
12-03-2015, 07:19 PM
Are there any Placebo bootleg sites ninlive.com but for Placebo?
Try the forums on placebocity.com for your bootleg needs. Heard they have a lot.

I think my new holy grail is a full-length, decent rip of the Hotel Persona remix of Cops.

GibbonBlack
12-03-2015, 08:03 PM
I think my new holy grail is a full-length, decent rip of the Hotel Persona remix of Cops.

I've never heard any remixes of their stuff. Cops is probably my favourite track of theirs though.

Black Market Music though. That whole album gives me butterflies every time. No other album by anyone has that effect on me. It's the strangest thing

/edit. I didn't find the bootleg on that site but I managed to find a torrent that has a whole lot of bootlegs including the show I was at :)

Reznor2112
02-28-2016, 04:39 PM
Been on a mad Placebo kick today. Threw on my Without You I'm Nothing vinyl and damn if side B isn't just a PERFECT second half of an album...

Really wish I could've snagged the blue vinyl version of Sleeping With Ghosts but it appears to be sold out everywhere :(

eversonpoe
02-28-2016, 04:52 PM
Been on a mad Placebo kick today. Threw on my Without You I'm Nothing vinyl and damn if side B isn't just a PERFECT second half of an album...

Really wish I could've snagged the blue vinyl version of Sleeping With Ghosts but it appears to be sold out everywhere :(

did you get the black version, at least? i listened to mine today and it's GORGEOUS. however, the mailer they shipped it in wasn't great and one of the bottom corners (and a pretty big amount of it) is bent all the way through (which means the inner sleeve, too). which sucks. at least it didn't affect the record, though. : /

armogi
02-28-2016, 08:59 PM
funny, i have been playing that album a lot recently, i can't stand what they've become and hardly want to listen to them anymore but damn that record is just awesome, i realize it's hard and probably impossible to go on for 20 years and release anything as good as this record again but i wish they had. I also realize that every you every me is also probably the reason they now suck, as good as it was then that song paved the way for their mainstream success and that generic mellow crap formula they repeat now.

Reznor2112
02-29-2016, 12:33 PM
did you get the black version, at least? i listened to mine today and it's GORGEOUS. however, the mailer they shipped it in wasn't great and one of the bottom corners (and a pretty big amount of it) is bent all the way through (which means the inner sleeve, too). which sucks. at least it didn't affect the record, though. : /

No, haven't ordered yet. :(

I will say, I ordered the WYIN black vinyl from Turntable Lab and the damn heavy ass disc cut right through the inner sleeve and is busting out of there bottom of the actual jacket :mad:.

GibbonBlack
03-10-2016, 07:42 AM
https://www.facebook.com/officialplacebo/?fref=photo

Something's being announce tomorrow

eversonpoe
03-10-2016, 07:51 AM
so they've released b-sides for s/t, black market music, and sleeping with ghosts. why not for without you i'm nothing?

GibbonBlack
03-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Their b-sides aren't mind blowing. It wouldn't surprise me if there just weren't any decent ones from those sessions

eversonpoe
03-11-2016, 07:49 AM
today's big announcement

20 YEARS OF PLACEBO - WORLD TOUR 2016/17
WWW.APLACEFORUSTODREAM.COM (http://WWW.APLACEFORUSTODREAM.COM/)
FIRST SHOWS ANNOUNCED - 14.03.16
48 HOUR PRE-SALE 9 AM - 16.03.16

Reznor2112
03-11-2016, 10:43 AM
so they've released b-sides for s/t, black market music, and sleeping with ghosts. why not for without you i'm nothing?

http://s22.postimg.org/5dbxrql81/Screen_Shot_2016_03_11_at_10_42_49_AM.png

armogi
03-12-2016, 04:02 PM
http://s22.postimg.org/5dbxrql81/Screen_Shot_2016_03_11_at_10_42_49_AM.png

is this available to purchase anywhere? not lossy.

Reznor2112
03-13-2016, 11:28 AM
is this available to purchase anywhere? not lossy.

edit: iTunes has them all for sale.

slave2thewage
03-14-2016, 04:02 AM
OCT 13 - DENMARK. AARHUS TRAIN
OCT 14 - DENMARK. COPENHAGEN VEGA MAIN HALL
OCT 16 - NORWAY. OSLO SENTRUM SCENE
OCT 18 - SWEDEN. STOCKHOLM CIRKUS
OCT 20 - FINLAND. HELSINKI HARTWALL ARENA
OCT 22 - LATVIA. RIGA ARENA
OCT 24 - RUSSIA. ST.PETERSBURG NEW ARENA [ SUPPORT FROM. THE MIRROR TRAP ]
OCT 26 - RUSSIA. MOSCOW OLIMPIYSKIY [ SUPPORT FROM. THE MIRROR TRAP ]
OCT 29 - POLAND. WARSAW TORWAR
OCT 31 - GERMANY. HAMBURG BARCLAYCARD ARENA
NOV 02 - GERMANY. COLOGNE LANXESS ARENA
NOV 04 - GERMANY. MUNICH OLYMPIAHALLE
NOV 05 - GERMANY. LEIPZIG ARENA
NOV 07 - GERMANY. BERLIN MERCEDES-BENZ ARENA
NOV 08 - CZECH REP. PRAGUE FORUM KARLIN
NOV 10 - CROATIA. ZAGREB CIBONA HALL
NOV 11 - HUNGARY. BUDAPEST SPORTARENA
NOV 13 - AUSTRIA. VIENNA STADTHALLE
NOV 15 - ITALY. MILAN MEDIOLANUM FORUM
NOV 16 - SWITZERLAND. ZURICH HALLENSTADION
NOV 18 - FRANCE. LILLE ZENITH
NOV 19 - BELGIUM. ANTWERP SPORTPALEIS
NOV 21 - HOLLAND. AMSTERDAM ZIGGO DOME
NOV 23 - GERMANY. FRANKFURT FESTHALLE
NOV 24 - GERMANY. STUTTGART SCHLEYERHALLE
NOV 26 - FRANCE. AMNEVILLE GALAXIE
NOV 28 - FRANCE. NANTES ZENITH METROPOLE
NOV 29 - FRANCE. PARIS ACCORHOTELS ARENA
DEC 02 - UK. GLASGOW SSE HYDRO
DEC 03 - UK. LEEDS FIRST DIRECT ARENA
DEC 05 - UK. MANCHESTER ARENA
DEC 06 - UK. NOTTINGHAM MOTORPOINT ARENA
DEC 08 - UK. BIRMINGHAM BARCLAYCARD ARENA
DEC 10 - IRELAND. DUBLIN 3ARENA
DEC 12 - UK. NEWPORT CENTRE
DEC 14 - UK. BRIGHTON CENTRE
DEC 15 - UK. LONDON SSE WEMBLEY ARENA

Probably doing Glasgow and the last four shows.

GibbonBlack
06-20-2016, 10:56 AM
Does anyone know why there is 2 different versions of Bright Lights? When I first heard it, which was on a pirate copy, it didn't have the "bright lights and black holes" repeated at the end and it sounds really jarring to me whenever I hear it now. Was that added later or was it removed from a version for some reason?

icklekitty
06-21-2016, 05:56 AM
The version without it is the album version and the version with it is the single version - I think this version might also be shorter. I find it a stupid addition too.

GibbonBlack
06-21-2016, 06:04 AM
it's annoying that whenever it comes on my shuffle on Spotify it's the single version then

slave2thewage
07-27-2016, 09:07 PM
The Spotify version has the single version replacing the old album version. The 'Redux' edition of BFTS did the same thing.

Also, Universal Germany let it slip that a second 'greatest hits' is coming in October called A Place For Us To Dream and will feature three new/unreleased tracks. They were filming a video on a beach in Spain a few weeks ago for one of the tracks.

GibbonBlack
07-27-2016, 09:50 PM
A Place For Us To Dream

That's a great title!

slave2thewage
08-04-2016, 08:41 AM
Two releases coming on 7th October.

Life's What You Make It EP.

01. Life's What You Make It (Talk Talk cover)
02. Jesus' Son
03. Twenty Years (Live)
04. Autoluminescent
05. Twenty Years (Live/Acoustic)
06. Song #6

A Place For Us To Dream: 20 Years of Placebo

CD1
01. Pure Morning (edit)
02. Jesus' Son (edit)
03. Come Home
04. Every You Every Me (single version)
05. Too Many Friends
06. Nancy Boy (edit)
07. 36 Degrees (version 2016)
08. Taste in Men (edit)
09. The Bitter End
10. Without You I'm Nothing (feat. David Bowie)
11. English Summer Rain (single version)
12. Breathe Underwater (slow)
13. Sleeping with Ghosts (B-side version)
14. Meds (single version)
15. Bright Lights (single version)
16. Song to Say Goodbye (edit)
17. Infra-Red
18. Running Up That Hill

CD2
01. B3 (edit)
02. For What it's Worth
03. Teenage Angst
04. You Don't Care About Us (edit)
05. Ashtray Heart
06. Broken Promise
07. Slave to the Wage (edit)
08. Bruise Pristine (edit)
09. This Picture
10. Protège-Moi
11. Because I Want You (redux)
12. Black-Eyed
13. Lazarus
14. I Know (version 2008)
15. A Million Little Pieces (edit)
16. Special Needs (edit)
17. Special K
18. Loud Like Love

henryeatscereal
08-04-2016, 06:49 PM
I will be buying just the EP, i hate to buy tracks that i already have (for the third time), i did it with the "Nothing has Changed" compilation by Bowie but that's it

slave2thewage
08-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Radio rip of Jesus' Son just surfaced. I quite like it, but it's very cheesy. It reminds me a lot of the acoustic pop-rock songs from about ten years ago.

Incomplete lyrics (the rip cuts off the start of the song):

Now is the rest of your life

Dare, dare a dimension
Your laughter makes me cry
A speck of dust in my eye

And I am unafraid and blissful, here I come
I am unashamed at getting nothing done
I'm a cavalcade that tumbles one by one
But I'm okay, just like Jesus' son

Bone, bone of contention
I've lost the count of times
I've seen you, fucking goodbye

Some good orderly direction
To pull you from the mire
Your universe on fire

I'm okay, just like Jesus' son
And I'm okay, just like Jesus' son
And I'm okay, just like Jesus' son

henryeatscereal
08-10-2016, 04:16 PM
I heard "Jesus Son" today, liked it, at least is better than "I do" (one of the worst Placebo songs in my opinion).
The cover of "Life's what you make it" is better, it reminded me a bit to "Taste in Men" at the start...

henryeatscereal
08-19-2016, 09:42 AM
"Jesus Son", video (on Vevo, because stuff...)

http://vevo.ly/dL8OM1

EDIT: Here's the youtube version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obovwrfkvv4

GibbonBlack
08-19-2016, 11:31 AM
oooooo that's a step in the right direction after Loud Like Love :)

slave2thewage
08-21-2016, 07:40 AM
It's apparently a leftover that didn't make the B3 EP. Forrest did the backing vocals and drums on it, according to a tweet he sent out.

voidnz
08-22-2016, 08:39 PM
I personally think this new song is awful. Not quite as bad as Loud Like Love though.

slave2thewage
10-06-2016, 08:08 PM
Oh, so the new EP is basically just covers plus Jesus' Son and the odd double-appearance of Twenty Years and the 2016 Version of 36 Degrees is essentially the 2005 version, but recorded in a studio with a few tiny parts played differently. Disappointing.

I quite like that 'Song #6' track though.

slave2thewage
10-07-2016, 05:48 AM
Holy crap, wasn't expecting to ever see this. The original, scrapped video for EYEM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGnhYZh6IUc

slave2thewage
10-07-2016, 06:13 AM
Is that Skin from Skunk Anansie in disguise at the end..?

It could be! Her and Brian were pretty tight back in the day.

Reznor2112
10-07-2016, 03:57 PM
Oh, so the new EP is basically just covers plus Jesus' Son and the odd double-appearance of Twenty Years and the 2016 Version of 36 Degrees is essentially the 2005 version, but recorded in a studio with a few tiny parts played differently. Disappointing.

I quite like that 'Song #6' track though.

Double appearance because they are celebrating 20 Years of Placebo.

slave2thewage
10-07-2016, 05:29 PM
Double appearance because they are celebrating 20 Years of Placebo.
Double appearance because they seriously forgot to put it on A Place For Us To Dream, apparently. We have Brian to blame, legitimately.

slave2thewage
10-14-2016, 12:26 AM
So Aarhus was cancelled two songs into the show because Brian was wasted, couldn't perform and gave a completely incoherent speech to the crowd. At least I heard Pure Morning live.

GibbonBlack
10-14-2016, 01:53 AM
So Aarhus was cancelled two songs into the show because Brian was wasted, couldn't perform and gave a completely incoherent speech to the crowd. At least I heard Pure Morning live.

Oh wow, that really sucks. That's unusual for Placebo isn't it?

slave2thewage
10-14-2016, 04:17 AM
Oh wow, that really sucks. That's unusual for Placebo isn't it?
Especially since Brian is "sober". He was an absolute mess. I just want my money back now.

I won't spoil it, but the setlist was procured and is really good. A shame that I didn't get it all last night.

GibbonBlack
10-14-2016, 07:57 AM
That's really sad. I hope you get your money back

halo eighteen
10-14-2016, 10:29 AM
“Here is an official statement. We wish to sincerely apologize to all fans who attended the gig in Aarhus last night. Brian suffered a severe and unexpected reaction to some new medication which meant he was unable to continue with the show.
We are saddened and extremely disappointed to let you down on the very first show of our tour. We will endeavor to reschedule the show at a later date but in the meantime, tickets will be refundable from point of purchase. Tonight’s Copenhagen show will go ahead as planned.”

Didn't know vodka was still considered a medication. That's really crazy though, i thought he's banned alcohol from their tours for quite a while now, so if he's fallen off the rails it's probably not a good idea to be starting a huge world tour.

henryeatscereal
10-14-2016, 10:55 AM
I guess he didn't forget to take his "Meds".

bobbie solo
10-14-2016, 02:01 PM
really, really lame when they outright lie like that. If you have no good excuse, then just dont acknowledge the actual issue, apologize, and offer the refund. Still lame, but better than lying.

GibbonBlack
10-14-2016, 06:53 PM
It's just possible that the official story is true, ya know. Obviously we don't have any real proof either way, but pain meds and such can fuck you up and make you appear drunk. It's not that far fetched.

More than that I hope the official story is true just because Molko means a lot to me.

henryeatscereal
10-15-2016, 04:57 PM
BTW, i think i will be buying, "A place for us to dream" after all...
I already own almost all the tracks but i downloaded and found some are different versions o re-recordings like that sweet new version for 36 Degrees i like.

slave2thewage
10-17-2016, 03:07 AM
It's just possible that the official story is true, ya know. Obviously we don't have any real proof either way, but pain meds and such can fuck you up and make you appear drunk. It's not that far fetched.

Seeing it in person, my guess at the time (and I still believe this) is that it was a mix of alcohol and something prescription-based. At least the tour is continuing.

Here's the setlist btw:

Pure Morning
Loud Like Love
Jesus' Son
Soulmates
Special Needs
Lazarus
Too Many Friends
Twenty Years (new version, aka the old version but with piano playing the original riff)
I Know
Devil in the Details
Exit Wounds
Space Monkey
Protect Me From What I Want
Without You I'm Nothing
36 Degrees (2016/2005 arrangement)
Lady of the Flowers
For What It's Worth
Slave To The Wage
Special K
Song To Say Goodbye
The Bitter End
----------------------
Teenage Angst (bass version)
Nancy Boy
Infra-Red
----------------------
Running Up That Hill

voidnz
10-17-2016, 07:17 PM
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/rank-your-records-brian-molko-skeptically-rates-placebos-eight-lps

Found this very weird. He must hate the old stuff or something.

armogi
10-18-2016, 01:51 AM
https://noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/rank-your-records-brian-molko-skeptically-rates-placebos-eight-lps

Makes absolutely no sense. The first 3 are the only worthy ones.

halo eighteen
10-18-2016, 07:22 AM
I'm sure Brian was just taking the piss with that list. I mean putting MTV Unplugged as their best album? Come on now haha.

henryeatscereal
10-18-2016, 03:42 PM

Ha, he put my top 3 Placebo albums at last!, man he's funny

icklekitty
10-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Makes absolutely no sense. The first 3 are the only worthy ones.

Makes absolute sense; Brian is one of those musicians that hates his classics/old stuff.

Also I saw him prancing around the airport the day before the Aarhus show. Gangrene my arse.

slave2thewage
10-20-2016, 10:52 AM
Placebo: good music, awful businesspeople. Unless you consider "ways to alienate our fans" to be a viable business strategy.

slave2thewage
11-23-2016, 09:10 AM
I did Amsterdam out of my Aarhus refund money on Monday night. Brian was sober and the show was great. And he gave a shout-out to me and my friends on stage, mentioning our names and everything. I'm back on board the hype train.

The only other news is that Brian did an interview in Prague the other week and album #8 will be "electronic, dark and very sad". Excited!

GibbonBlack
12-04-2016, 07:24 PM
Who's supporting Placebo this tour? Specifically the Newport gig next week

halo eighteen
12-06-2016, 10:50 AM
Minor Victories are opening the UK shows - they're pretty great. "Supergroup" consisting of Rachel Goswell from Slowdive, Stuart Braithwaite from Mogwai, and Justin Lockey from Editors.

MicheaelElizabeth
12-15-2016, 07:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vNMsOU-DAY

slave2thewage
12-17-2016, 06:44 AM
Just got back from my week of dates in Ireland/UK (basically the last four). Dublin was probably my favourite.

GibbonBlack
12-17-2016, 07:01 AM
I was at the Newport show. I didn't get to see the support but Placebo were amazing, so energetic!

Terrible venue though, especially when we had to leave

slave2thewage
12-17-2016, 07:03 AM
I was at the Newport show. I didn't get to see the support but Placebo were amazing, so energetic!

Terrible venue though, especially when we had to leave

Yeah, the band were good but the crowd was pretty dead. And the sound wasn't great in there. Dublin and London were the best, they were a bit off at Brighton IMO. They seemed to just rush through the set. Minor Victories were very good live, and it helped that their drummer was very easy on the eyes!

henryeatscereal
12-18-2016, 10:04 AM
They announced a date in my hometown, but i don't think i will be attending, the venue has terrible sound and it's a bad place for concerts in general (even more frustrating?, it's like 25 minutes away from my home...)

Bummer, i really wanted to see them for a 4th time

slave2thewage
01-29-2017, 05:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMYvSE3MmPM

@slave2thewage (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=89) Is there an official (non-alternate) video of this? I'm not seeing it anywhere. I didn't think they released it as a single from LLL?

Figured I would ask you since you know more about this band than anyone..
No, that video is from the bonus DVD that came with the Loud Like Love boxset. It had videos for all the tracks and they were all labelled as 'Alternate'. I'm guessing they hadn't finalised the single choices.

Substance242
02-20-2017, 04:02 AM
So, I kinda acknowledged existence of, and "accepted" Placebo (that is more than most groups can get from me, heheh), but only today I made my first purchase, "A Place for Us to Dream" (google play). And yes, it's good! :-) I like their melancholy mood.

halo eighteen
02-20-2017, 06:51 AM
^That's probably a really good starting point, actually. I do genuinely enjoy all their albums. You might want to look further into Without You I'm Nothing and Black Market Music. Those albums in particular are pretty melancholic, aside from the big singles from them.

Substance242
02-22-2017, 02:29 AM
"Someone call the ambulance, there's gonna be an accident..." - great. :-)

Edit, interesting: ""Infra-Red"'s about that, when you get very drunk and you've got a bee in your bonnet about something, and this vengeful quality emerges. You start thinking about people who've done you wrong and [want] to set the record straight."

halo eighteen
03-26-2017, 09:56 AM
It looks like the first of 7 shows in Mexico was canceled last night, due to illness. That's all the info I can find on it. Sheesh, they're really not having a good track record with first shows on the 20 Years of Placebo tour.

slave2thewage
06-06-2017, 08:43 AM
UK tour announced for October, pretty small venues.
October 7 – Edinburgh, Usher Hall
October 8 – Dundee, Caird Hall
October 10 – Doncaster, Doncaster Dome
October 11 – Blackpool, Empress Ballroom
October 13 – Reading, Rivermead
October 14 – Cardiff, Motorpoint Arena
October 16 – Portsmouth, Guildhall
October 17 – Swindon, Oasis Centre
October 20 – Plymouth, Plymouth Pavilions
October 21 – Wolverhampton, Civic Hall
October 23 – London, O2 Academy Brixton

I should be at the first three shows and Brixton.

slave2thewage
08-20-2017, 09:19 PM
Show cancellation tonight at the Highland festival in Germany 30 minutes before the set was due to begin. Cause was given as "sudden illness".

Hmmmm.....

ManBurning
08-21-2017, 03:01 AM
These guys sure do like to cancel shows...

halo eighteen
08-21-2017, 05:37 AM
^Meh, they've got a long way to go before they catch up to Morrissey, the king of all non-commitments lol

eversonpoe
08-21-2017, 07:46 AM
^Meh, they've got a long way to go before they catch up to Morrissey, the king of all non-commitments lol

yeah but he's not cancelling because he's wasted. :(

halo eighteen
09-06-2017, 02:41 PM
yeah but he's not cancelling because he's wasted. :(

Ugh. Yep, the first Australian show was canceled at the last minute the other day ago. Fucking seriously?

slave2thewage
10-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Heads up to anyone doing the UK shows this week - Brian's voice is FUCKED. He's sounded awful since the other night in Reading, it's an apparent flu but they're oddly continuing on the tour. Monotonous voice and a bunch of songs are dropped from the setlist.

He sounded great in Edinburgh last week. Dundee was good, but Brian got in a mood after he spotted a girl filming him and stopped Special Needs twice.

GibbonBlack
10-14-2017, 08:59 PM
. Dundee was good, but Brian got in a mood after he spotted a girl filming him and stopped Special Needs twice.

Wow, it's just all bad news about Molko :(

tremolo
10-14-2017, 10:06 PM
I hope they come to North America for their 20 years tour.

I also hope that Molko is doing fine and that he just has a flu and is not relapsing.

I'm not a big fan of LLL and what has come after. To me their first 3 albums are pure gold. SWG is pretty solid, and BFTS has great moments too.

dvdglss
10-15-2017, 07:02 AM
All downhill since Hewitt left...

slave2thewage
10-15-2017, 08:36 AM
I hope they come to North America for their 20 years tour.
Not a chance. It's ending at Brixton.

tremolo
10-15-2017, 08:45 AM
Not a chance. It's ending at Brixton.

Crap.

slave2thewage
10-15-2017, 08:47 AM
All downhill since Hewitt left...
Ah, the good old days when Hewitt was the "alcoholic"...

dlb
10-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Oh man, didn't bother coming here, but I was at that festival in Germany and sure pissed as hell. We traveled soley for Placebo to that very festival since we had a stag night aswell and the guys were the only band we all (9 dudes) could agree on so we were really looking forward to see them. We had fun anyway and a blast during that weekend, but having them bail out 30 minutes before the show with everyone already in place and waiting for them to close the festival on a Sunday this was absolute shit. "Sudden illness"... yes of course. If he was puking or stuff like that after some bad catering, okay... Be specific as long as it's not insulting or humiliating, but this shallow message felt like a severe rip off for everyone. I suppose he was drunk out of his mind or might have had a few shots to many when strolling the festival location.

Would have loved to see them perform as did many with their 20-years shirts, but oh well...

halo eighteen
06-16-2018, 09:06 PM
Looks like they did a Cure cover of Let's Go to Bed at the Meltdown fest tonight.

dvdglss
07-10-2019, 07:16 PM
Brick shithouse has some amazing production on it. I know it’s not the strongest song. But man it sounds so great...

fillow
07-11-2019, 12:31 AM
So what's happening with them? There's some NIN-level of radio silence going on...

halo eighteen
07-11-2019, 06:13 AM
So what's happening with them? There's some NIN-level of radio silence going on...

Yeah, I don't think there's been any news of anything since last October when Brian and Stef did WYIN anniversary interviews and only alluded to the next album being experimental, changing up their songwriting process etc. I was kind of hoping your post would have been an update on stuff haha. Hopefully soon!

firewlker
07-13-2019, 12:35 PM
Well... the most recent thing that I've found about Brian Molko at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7iM49J6P0A

halo eighteen
07-13-2019, 03:31 PM
He looks pretty fucked up there. :/

slave2thewage
12-19-2019, 05:42 PM
The Instagram updated the other day showing that they’re at the “recording vocals” stage. Guess it’s definitely coming next year.

henryeatscereal
12-19-2019, 06:42 PM
I'm up for some new Placebo, even though they given it all as a band, im always happy to get a new release from them

halo eighteen
01-19-2020, 06:17 PM
Little late on this, but hopefully it means a bigger announcement is on the way...

June 27 - Athens, Rockwave
June 28 - St. Gallen (Switzerland) - OpenAir
July 3 - Barcelona, Cruilla Festival
July 4 - Tours (France), American Tours Festival
July 5 - Werchter, Rock Werchter
July 8 - Madrid, Mad Cool Festival
July 9 - Bilbao, BBK Live Festival
July 11 - Kiev, Atlas Festival
July 14 - Mantova (Italy), Piazza Sordello (headline show)
July 15 - Zagreb (Croatia), SRC Salata (headline show)
July 17 - Moscow, Park Live Festival
August 28 - Vilar De Mouros (Portugal), EDP Vilar De Mouros Festival

slave2thewage
01-20-2020, 07:36 AM
Little late on this, but hopefully it means a bigger announcement is on the way...

Thinking about Barcelona, but honestly just waiting until the inevitable UK warmup dates.

ManBurning
01-20-2020, 03:13 PM

Would be absolutely amazing if they got announced for the Wave Gotik Treffen festival in Germany, May 28-June 1, 'cause I will be there for that festival, lol.
Chances are slim, but man, that would justify the $10,000 price tag of this trip (I'm an absolute fool for doing this. Absolute fool... )

slave2thewage
01-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Would be absolutely amazing if they got announced for the Wave Gotik Treffen festival in Germany, May 28-June 1, 'cause I will be there for that festival, lol.
Chances are slim, but man, that would justify the $10,000 price tag of this trip (I'm an absolute fool for doing this. Absolute fool... )
I highly doubt it. Earliest date so far is June 27th in Greece. Few more dates have surfaced lately (the aforementioned Greek festival, Rock Werchter in Belgium and some festival in Ukraine).

New album is being released via So Recordings. If you haven’t heard of them, you’re not alone.

ManBurning
01-30-2020, 07:07 PM
I highly doubt it. Earliest date so far is June 27th in Greece. Few more dates have surfaced lately (the aforementioned Greek festival, Rock Werchter in Belgium and some festival in Ukraine).

New album is being released via So Recordings. If you haven’t heard of them, you’re not alone.

Oooohhh, New album. That's exciting.

halo eighteen
01-30-2020, 08:47 PM
Band of Skulls are with that label. As long as the new tunes are kicking, that's all I care about. Maybe another American tour lol

firewlker
02-05-2020, 09:21 AM

I think the most famous bands with this label are Band Of Skulls and Enter Shikari (and now Placebo)

So, isn't a big label, let's hope that means Placebo will release a more interesting records than the last ones.

slave2thewage
08-15-2020, 02:18 PM
Rumours that the new album is tentatively set for a February release.

NIN –Downward Spiral Book
08-15-2020, 02:31 PM
I fucking loved Placebo in my teens, still do, Without You I'm Nothing was one of my favourite records growing up, it's bleak but really fierce at the same time. I also thought Sleeping With Ghosts was a great mature record.

henryeatscereal
08-15-2020, 09:15 PM
Placebo is running a "Summer Festival Lockdown series", they will release an old concert tape each week, they started with Uk's 1996 Phoenix Festival:

https://youtu.be/xVlNXGaG_1w

halo eighteen
08-23-2020, 01:15 PM
Eurockéennes de Belfort 1997, with great early renditions of WYIN and Evil Dildo! Seems like the portion of the set with Kitsch Object got cut though, if setlist.fm is accurate anyway. :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVLWwmthB8A

henryeatscereal
08-24-2020, 01:09 PM
Eurockéennes de Belfort 1997, with great early renditions of WYIN and Evil Dildo! Seems like the portion of the set with Kitsch Object got cut though, if setlist.fm is accurate anyway. :(

I was impressed with "Evil Dildo", i thought they never played that song live!
does anyone know if they ever played "Black Market Blood"?

eversonpoe
08-25-2020, 10:54 AM
ugh, i LOVE black market blood. and the rob ellis-arranged strings are just so gorgeous. always makes me wish that PJ harvey had collaborated with placebo in some way.

henryeatscereal
08-25-2020, 02:31 PM
ugh, i LOVE black market blood. and the rob ellis-arranged strings are just so gorgeous. always makes me wish that PJ harvey had collaborated with placebo in some way.
Oh yeah, PJ/Placebo is something that needs to happen; in a way it could have been something similar to the Asia Argento/Molko collaboration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_LO70W93E

eversonpoe
08-25-2020, 05:59 PM
Oh yeah, PJ/Placebo is something that needs to happen; in a way it could have been something similar to the Asia Argento/Molko collaboration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EM_LO70W93E

interesting! i had no idea that existed.

i feel like if PJ & brian collaborated i'd want it to be more raw & organic than electronic, but that's just me.

henryeatscereal
08-26-2020, 11:32 AM
interesting! i had no idea that existed.

i feel like if PJ & brian collaborated i'd want it to be more raw & organic than electronic, but that's just me.
I also imagine something similar to the "Sleeping with Ghosts" era, with PJ

slave2thewage
08-27-2020, 07:36 AM
I was impressed with "Evil Dildo", i thought they never played that song live!
does anyone know if they ever played "Black Market Blood"?
1. Evil Dildo got played a good bit between 97-99.
2. Black Market Blood has never been played.

henryeatscereal
08-27-2020, 11:47 AM
2. Black Market Blood has never been played.
damn...

henryeatscereal
08-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Good concert and loved the violin in "Battle for the sun"; i love that album, it's so underrated...

https://youtu.be/fEUNVCBsdiY

GibbonBlack
11-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Is anyone else unable to play Nancy Boy on Spotify? It's totally greyed out on the album for me :/

muad'nin
11-22-2020, 01:54 PM
Is anyone else unable to play Nancy Boy on Spotify? It's totally greyed out on the album for me :/

Works ok here in Australia.

GibbonBlack
11-22-2020, 02:23 PM
weird. So I'm in the UK but I had VPN making it seem like I was in the states. If I turn the VPN off it plays fine

halo eighteen
11-27-2020, 11:42 AM
https://placebo.backstreetmerch.com/vinyl-box-sets/a-place-for-us-to-dream

Looks like they're sick of holding onto extra copies of the Place for Us to Dream 4lp boxset; it's onsale for $27 right now. I will say the copy I have sounds great. Not sure there's anything exclusive on it (maybe at the time the horribly mediocre Jesus' Son, and so-so reworkings of 36 Degrees and I Know) but it's a solid collection of their whole catalogue.

edit - Disappointingly they didn't bother to include Narcoleptic, the song the title comes from. Sheesh, guys.

eversonpoe
12-09-2020, 04:57 PM
https://f4.bcbits.com/img/a2372898116_16.jpg

https://eversonpoe.bandcamp.com/track/without-you-im-nothing

in case anyone's interested, my friend jack and i did a cover of "without you i'm nothing" and we're donating the money to the national bailout fund. hope you check it out and enjoy it enough to throw in a little to help a good cause <3

firewlker
09-13-2021, 12:05 PM

Reznor2112
09-13-2021, 01:17 PM
Super stoked! Hope this one is not so overly produced as LLL was.

henryeatscereal
09-13-2021, 01:29 PM
Guess it's the single's name, i'm up for it!

wampa
09-13-2021, 02:56 PM
hadn't thought about these guys in a long time! been on the placebo rabbithole for the last few hours listening to their music again.

wampa
09-16-2021, 09:41 AM
https://twitter.com/PLACEBOWORLD/status/1438502017975021569?s=20

firewlker
09-16-2021, 11:21 AM
Just heard the song, sounds like a leftover from Battle For The Sun

meh for me, sadly.

henryeatscereal
09-16-2021, 11:04 PM
Battle from the Sun is great, so i'm even more interested!

Reznor2112
09-17-2021, 07:48 AM
Not a bad track -- def hear the BFTS sound.

I think I am spoiled by how great Without You Im Nothing is and that particular sound of that time. I ended up really enjoying LLL surprisingly and will probably love this new album as well. haha

henryeatscereal
09-17-2021, 11:58 AM
Song is ok, nothing to scream about, but i liked it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLataWj71FU

Reminded me to "I Do" and "Ashtray Heart".

poinoup
09-21-2021, 04:24 PM
How did I just find out about this now. It's pretty ok; I am still amazed that Brian's voice sounds so good all these years later.

wampa
09-23-2021, 09:42 AM
I didn't hate it, would love to hear more.

henryeatscereal
09-23-2021, 01:36 PM
Hope this leads to a full album

firewlker
11-02-2021, 02:34 PM
New single coming out next week.

firewlker
11-08-2021, 05:39 PM
New song is out, loved that one more than Beautiful James.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N17TEw__Iog

voidnz
11-09-2021, 02:39 AM
Woah, love that new track. That's the dark shit I love from Placebo!

Reznor2112
11-09-2021, 08:18 AM
Ever since LLL, it feels like the lyrics are getting very lazy. This song especially annoys me by repeating each line 4 times in a row before going to the next. Reminds of the the sound Mouth by Bush when he kept singing "mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth, mouth". I start banging my head on a table haha.

I will hold out since I hated "Too Many Friends" but ended up thoroughly enjoying LLL

Maybe i just loved WYIN too much.. I also loved Sleeping With Ghosts and Meds. :shrug:

henryeatscereal
11-09-2021, 12:19 PM
The new track sounds very "Meds-esque" (Space Monkey comes to mind...), i liked it, but i also need a "fast-punk" Placebo song like "Nancy Boy" or "Bitter End", their electronic stuff i like in small doses...

slave2thewage
01-10-2022, 08:18 PM
https://youtu.be/VOVkzL0ga2w

Loving this and Surrounded by Spies. Beautiful James is meh.

Siah13
01-12-2022, 11:14 AM
I haven’t listened to any of the new stuff yet and I feel like a Placebo fan fail. Lol. I’ve been waiting for time to actually sit and listen and I haven’t had any BUT I’ve got a long drive to get an ultrasound today so maybe today is the day!

Reznor2112
01-13-2022, 01:13 PM
I'm genuinely bummed by these three singles --- what is up with the constant use of repetition with the lyrics? Feels very lazy but I am NO songwriter...but as a listener it gets very annoying and old.

poinoup
03-24-2022, 01:08 PM
There's a 160 out in the ether.

firewlker
03-24-2022, 04:51 PM
There's a 160 out in the ether.

Any tips about it?

chuckrh
03-24-2022, 05:01 PM
I scored front row tickets in Seattle. Looking forward to it.

Reznor2112
03-25-2022, 08:06 AM
OK. Just had my first start-to-finish playthrough. The instrumentation/music on this album is AMAZING. Sounds fantastic and very exciting. Brian also sounds great on every track...

That said, I am so fucking frustrated with the terrible, receptive lyrics. I was hoping it was just the couple of singles but its most of the whole damn record. Why is everything so on-the-fucking-nose and cringey in some instances. Im frustrated because I love this band and now I genuinely enjoy this album's music. But the lyrics on the majority of tracks just destroys this listening experience for me.

Now, before I get facepalmed left and right... I am no lyricists or musician. Its all subjective. So I will shut up. I will be giving this album a few more listens today.

Hope everyone enjoys it!

GibbonBlack
03-25-2022, 08:13 AM
Nah, I hear you.

Brian's lyrics on this album don't go much over "just ok". But it's definitely a step above the awful Loud Like Love. Except for Hugz, fuck that track :rolleyes:

Reznor2112
03-25-2022, 08:27 AM
Standout tracks currently are:

Chemtrails
Twin Demons
HBITS - the last 90 seconds of that song is awesome
Forever Chemicals - really cool instrumentation

GulDukat
03-25-2022, 08:46 AM
Excellent 4/5 review from the AMG. (https://www.allmusic.com/album/never-let-me-go-mw0003619094)

poinoup
03-27-2022, 02:22 PM
Really digging this sucker. "Hugz" and "The Prodigal" are just beauties. This is their best stuff since Meds.

Self.Destructive.Pattern
03-28-2022, 09:47 AM
VERY good so far. It holds elements from a lot of their past work, with also not losing that organic Placebo feel. Happy Birthday In The Sky is fantastic.

Reznor2112
03-28-2022, 12:02 PM
About 10-12 full listens in and it is a pretty solid album.

Standouts (as previously mentioned):
Chemtrails (favorite)
Happy Birthday in the Sky
Twin Demons
Forever Chemicals (Could totally see this being the opener of the next NIN album sub TR vocals)
Fix Yourself

Growers:
Surrounded by Spies (such an interesting song to listen to, again just the repetitive lyrics are a downer)
Sad White Reggae (legit thought that was Colin Stetson on this one)
Went Missing (reminded me of a Meds b-side, not a bad thing)

On the fence:
Try Better Next Time (repetition soapbox - pretty much an instant skip each time)
Hugz (lyrics soapbox)
The Prodigal (the violins are jarring after coming out of HBITS -- subjective)
Beautiful James (repetition soapbox)

I will say Brian, Stef and team have never sounded better. Regardless of my subjective complaints and bitching, it really is a solid record and Im so thankful that there are some standouts that really drive it home for me and recover the record from the few I'm not loving. Will definitely be on steady rotation.

henryeatscereal
03-28-2022, 10:25 PM
"Twin Demons" is awesome!

I liked the album overall

henryeatscereal
04-12-2022, 01:47 PM
I can safely say this album is better than "Loud Like Love" (and i liked that one too...)

Ranking:

1. Placebo
2. Battle for the Sun
3. Sleeping with Ghosts
4. Never Let Me Go
5. Black Market Music
6. Meds
7. Without You I'm Nothing
8. Loud Like Love

Reznor2112
04-12-2022, 01:54 PM
I can safely say this album is better than "Loud Like Love" (and i liked that one too...)

Ranking:

1. Placebo
2. Battle for the Sun
3. Sleeping with Ghosts
4. Never Let Me Go
5. Black Market Music
6. Meds
7. Without You I'm Nothing
8. Loud Like Love

Very interesting to see WYIN so low on your list. Thats my number one haha

henryeatscereal
04-12-2022, 02:00 PM
Very interesting to see WYIN so low on your list. Thats my number one haha
lol, i do like WYIN, but i hardly listen to it anymore, it has awesome songs like "Brick shithouse", "You don't care..", "Allergic..." and of course the title track, but i'm not huge on it because there's too many ballads, still i have to listen to it again, maybe, it'll move up...

Curious to see your rating, cool thing about Placebo is that there's no consensus on their best!