PDA

View Full Version : Mew

lady weetly
11-29-2011, 07:46 AM
Nothing really has come from the band in the last couple of months. Jonas Bjerre has been working with Apparatjik (http://apparatjik.com/bulletins/) and he recently made a soundtrack for a film called Skyscraper (http://www.jonasbjerre.com/shop/skyscraper-jonas-bjerre-cd/). I'm hoping for a new album soon.

konstantin
11-29-2011, 10:43 AM
oh... i clicked hoping there's a new album coming out. it'll be hard topping what they did the last time around.

ihatecrayons
11-30-2011, 04:59 PM
I want a new Mew album SO badly. So, so badly.

Endlessly
12-01-2011, 02:21 AM
Not to post any direct links, but there's a good winter-themed Mew mix on Soundcloud. It's got a beautiful mood to it, and if you're not familiar with their b-sides, it makes for a pretty good introduction-- Drown and Killer are two of my favorites, and That Time On The Ledge is beloved by a lot of the fans.

Someday we will get that new album.

jrdsctt
12-01-2011, 12:33 PM
I saw Mew twice when they opened for NIN in Chicago during the second leg of the Waves Goodbye Tour. They put on quite the incredible show. Here's a shitty video I took of them performing Comforting Sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLRtK98EfPY&feature=channel_video_title

lady weetly
12-02-2011, 06:29 AM
I saw Mew twice when they opened for NIN in Chicago during the second leg of the Waves Goodbye Tour. They put on quite the incredible show. Here's a shitty video I took of them performing Comforting Sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLRtK98EfPY&feature=channel_video_title
I was there at the rail! I wasn't a fan at a time (which I really wish I was), but I fell in love with them after those two shows. Saw them a few months later and ihatecrayons and I ended up meeting Bastian, Nick, and Jonas beforehand. So fantastic. I miss seeing them live. :(

jrdsctt
12-02-2011, 01:45 PM
I was there at the rail! I wasn't a fan at a time (which I really wish I was), but I fell in love with them after those two shows. Saw them a few months later and ihatecrayons and I ended up meeting Bastian, Nick, and Jonas beforehand. So fantastic. I miss seeing them live. :(

Great shows. That's awesome that you got to meet them!

richardp
12-02-2011, 02:13 PM
I was an enormous fan of MEW before I saw them open for NIN in Chicago, but their live set made me weep. I was geeking out so hard up in the balcony and everyone around me was not feeling it whatsoever, and then on the train ride back into Downtown, everyone was saying how "shitty" and "gay" they were. Such a shame.

jrdsctt
12-02-2011, 02:14 PM
I was an enormous fan of MEW before I saw them open for NIN in Chicago, but their live set made me weep. I was geeing out so hard up in the balcony and everyone around me was not feeling it whatsoever, and then on the trade ride back into Downtown, everyone was saying how "shitty" and "gay" they were. Such a shame.

Their loss. Mew put on two amazing performances.

bobbie solo
12-03-2011, 02:50 AM
killed it in NYC as well. i was SO psyched to see them open, as alot of NIN openers over the years have sucked.

konstantin
12-03-2011, 06:16 AM
Not to post any direct links, but there's a good winter-themed Mew mix on Soundcloud. It's got a beautiful mood to it, and if you're not familiar with their b-sides, it makes for a pretty good introduction-- Drown and Killer are two of my favorites, and That Time On The Ledge is beloved by a lot of the fans.

Someday we will get that new album.
what's wrong with posting a link?

Endlessly
12-03-2011, 08:03 PM
what's wrong with posting a link?
It's got a download available, and the songs on it are copyrighted material-- generally against the rules here, yeah? I'd rather not post a direct link when a quick Google of "winter Mew mix" gets you there.

In other news, apparently Jonas came on stage at Oh No Ono's final show last night (he's spoken highly of them in past interviews) and sang I Should Have Been A Tsin-Tsi (For You). Video: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150501527100915

Malechite
12-03-2011, 08:04 PM
It's got a download available, and the songs on it are copyrighted material-- generally against the rules here, yeah? I'd rather not post a direct link when a quick Google of "winter Mew mix" gets you there.

Links to soundcloud are cool, direct links to copyrighted material aren't (as in an mp3/torrent/download link)

Endlessly
02-09-2012, 03:23 PM
We have news! AWW (http://twitter.com/mewwire) YES (http://www.facebook.com/mew?sk=wall)

Good morning Frengerinos. You have awaken. Lets hold each others hands for a moment.
Mew have commenced writing the new piece that will become your friend. Instruments have started bonding, amorously. Theres a fire burning.
love to all, bo

shows on the rise

ihatecrayons
03-01-2012, 05:20 AM
I need new Mew immediately. I'm craving it real bad right now hahaha it's been too long since No More Stories... came out.

Also, I need a US tour. ASAP.

This has been an update :P

ImTheWiseJanitor
03-01-2012, 10:49 AM
I need new Mew immediately. I'm craving it real bad right now hahaha it's been too long since No More Stories... came out.

Also, I need a US tour. ASAP.

This has been an update :P

I'd really love to see these guys headlining, too, rather than standing in the middle of people talking about how "gay" they think the band sounds. That was really annoying to put up with at the Wave Goodbye Chicago show.

ihatecrayons
03-01-2012, 02:16 PM
I'd really love to see these guys headlining, too, rather than standing in the middle of people talking about how "gay" they think the band sounds. That was really annoying to put up with at the Wave Goodbye Chicago show.

Yeah, some people just have no respect. I fell in love with Mew at those Wave Goodbye shows in Chicago. Later in the year, I think in December, they headlined their own Chicago show, and lady weetly and I caught them there. We got rail and it was really great <3 we met the band before the show, too, because they walked out the front door of the venue to their tour bus parked right out front, haha. I hope they come back to the US soon, so more people can catch them, they're really awesome!

richardp
03-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Agreed. The train ride back into the city was brutal as well. Everyone spent basically the entire time talking shit on Mew. As I sat there with my No More Stories vinyl that I bought at the show.

Amaro
05-04-2012, 03:26 PM
I hated on Mew some in the past...but even then I could aknowledge greatness they possessed. I like a number of their songs. Being a drummer, Silas Utke Graae Jørgensen is a real professional. Guy knows.

All the music clearly is the result of fine musicianship. While talented and unique, it's the vocal application Jonas tends to push almost always once every song that I have difficulty understanding...to the point of upset. I guess that's simply a big part of Mew's sound... We'll see how it all fares with me on another catalog listen (if I can find an album at least worthy enough of owning).

richardp
05-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Dammit, I was really hoping the bump of this thread meant that I was going to find a new album announcement inside.

Amaro
05-04-2012, 04:15 PM
lol Sorry.

FULLMETAL
01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Apologies for unearthing this thread from the crypt!

Anyhow, Mew just posted a FB update about their recent Roskilde performance being broadcast on Danish television this Friday. Anyone have pals in Denmark that could record and upload this show on Dime or another similar music site?!

Here's the details from FB: "
Hey there, on friday the 18th of January tune in (if you can) to Danish television DR K and watch our Roskilde set! It starts at 23.45 - Jonas"

Endlessly
01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
I assume that this is the same broadcast that the Klassen video currently on Mewsite (at least, when you enter your email) is taken from, right?

Also, hopefully this will work for streaming: http://www.dr.dk/TV/live/dr-k

FULLMETAL
01-18-2013, 07:08 PM
Here's a link for the stream: http://www.dr.dk/TV/se/dr-k-roskilde/dr-k-roskilde-mew#!/00:00
Hopefully, it will show up as a high quality mp4 or DVD recording.

Amaro
08-08-2013, 10:57 AM
I got Frengers for .50¢ at a used place. Whoa?

orestes
08-08-2013, 12:09 PM
Ugh, I thought this thread was updated with new album news. :(

Amaro
08-08-2013, 01:51 PM
That's my second time doing that in this thread... I should really stop trying to be a fan. ;)

Kodiak33
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM

I was there too, on Saturday. Really liked them.

FULLMETAL
09-28-2015, 01:49 AM
Since the last post in this thread (which this will be the second time i've resurrected it from the dead), Mew released +/- and have started their North American tour. I had a wonderful stretch of 4 Mew shows proper + a Radio show performance in CA and am longing for a professional live recording from this tour. The version on the deluxe album release is pretty cool, but doesn't include "Rows," Making Friends," "Witness," or "The Night Believer."

Anyhow, if they come through your town I recommend checking them out. It's good stuff.

If you find their "Live at the Hollywood Palladium" release on Spotify or some other online music fountain - that was their set opening for NIN back in 2009.

littlemonkey613
09-28-2015, 02:00 AM
Saw them in LA on Friday. Incredible.

shin2chi
03-07-2016, 04:25 AM
Kites Vinyl on RSD16:
http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/record-store-day-2016-release-information-rsd16.497214/page-6
Mew - And The Glass Handed Kites [LP] (180 Gram, first time on vinyl, gatefold, poster, limited to 2000, indie-retail exclusive)
Legacy
54,50€

Amaro
05-13-2017, 11:58 AM
Damn, fam... Last post here was over a year ago and the new album came out late last month!!!

I actually had no idea myself. :P <3 (I blame being inactive on Instagram.)

About to dive in. Cheers!

bobbie solo
05-14-2017, 03:12 AM
what's the verdict? Haven't heard any of the new material but became a fan of these guys when they opened for NIN back in the day.

richardp
05-14-2017, 04:51 PM
what's the verdict? Haven't heard any of the new material but became a fan of these guys when they opened for NIN back in the day.

The new album is excellent and quite honestly is probably their best since Glass Handed Kites. Totally worth a listen.

Endlessly
08-14-2017, 08:06 PM
I saw them live in Chicago on Saturday, for a bit of a double-feature -- they did a short JBTV taping in early afternoon that I actually caught this time around, then played a regular show at Park West. It was a wonderful time, the new stuff is really good, the projections are better than ever, and they've even worked Start into the set (which really surprised me, since I haven't been reading setlists this tour). I still can't get over how perfect and on Jonas's vocals are every single time.

halo eighteen
08-15-2017, 06:57 AM
Ugh, I had tickets to go see them in Detroit, but I fell super ill that day and couldn't make it (still not quite right even after 4 days of antibiotics). I was kind of hoping that maybe they'd be no good live haha. Guess that's not the case.

Comforting Sounds would have been epic!