PDA

View Full Version : Nine Inch Nails and Beyonce are headlining the same festival?

nycPRowler
04-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Nine Inch Nails and Beyonce are co-headlining the 2103 Budweiser Made in America Festival in Philly....what kind of alternate reality do we live in that Beyonce and Trent are on the same concert poster? I enjoy Beyonce sashaying as much as the next, but it's hard to picture NIN fans and Beyonce in the same venue lol.

Source: http://wp.me/p2TETC-1J5

onthewall2983
04-11-2013, 04:06 PM
There's a long history of odd bills at these things.

gorast
04-11-2013, 04:17 PM
Love the picture they used for Trent.

fillow
04-11-2013, 04:58 PM
i'm sorry trent, imma let you finish you headline set, but beyonce is one of the best festival headliners of all time.
of all time!

Hazekiah
04-11-2013, 05:02 PM
Saw that yesterday and thought it was kinda funny. Beyonce and NIN...together at last!

Good ol' beer-drinkin' music, lol.

nycPRowler
04-11-2013, 05:10 PM
If they were to do a song together....which would it be? I would love to hear Trent sing "Halo" lol...i think it would actually sounds pretty good.

botley
04-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Public Enemy's playing this festival, too — you guys gonna make some dumb jokes about that as well? Lol who let *them* in the Rck and Roll Hall of Fame?!

I mean, is it really so weird that disparate music acts with big radio hits all share billing at the same festival? Heaven forbid you don't have everything spoon-fed to you in neat, easy compartments.

slave2thewage
04-11-2013, 05:17 PM
If he liked it, he should've put a ringfinger on it.

sheepdean
04-11-2013, 05:24 PM
Who cares?

Hazekiah
04-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Public Enemy's playing this festival, too — you guys gonna make some dumb jokes about that as well? Lol who let *them* in the Rck and Roll Hall of Fame?!

I mean, is it really so weird that disparate music acts with big radio hits all share billing at the same festival? Heaven forbid you don't have everything spoon-fed to you in neat, easy compartments.

LOL, rage much?

I don't think anyone's offended or confused or whatever, it's just a funny and odd contrast that's worth a chuckle or two.

Pretty cool line-up, actually.

howdidislipinto
04-11-2013, 06:49 PM
Maybe I'm just being overly sensitive because of some of the horribly embarrassing NIN fans at the HTDA show yesterday, but I'm with Botley. Y'all (and the point of this thread) are weird.

Good lineup. I'd like to be there.

butter_hole
04-11-2013, 06:50 PM
Nine Inch Nails and Beyonce are co-headlining the 2103 Budweiser Made in America Festival in Philly....what kind of alternate reality do we live in that Beyonce and Trent are on the same concert poster? I enjoy Beyonce sashaying as much as the next, but it's hard to picture NIN fans and Beyonce in the same venue lol.

Source: http://wp.me/p2TETC-1J5

was your use of sashaying a Sasha fierce pun? Because it better have been.

NIN64
04-11-2013, 06:57 PM
I'd like to point out that you don't necessarily need to be a HARDCORE fan on an artist to enjoy live music. For those lucky enough to be there; chill out, open your mind a little, and enjoy the festival. . .

orestes
04-11-2013, 07:40 PM
So should I toss Kylie and all the fun pop out of my music library? I'm confused.

sheepdean
04-11-2013, 07:41 PM
Didn't NIN tour with a circus once

marodi
04-11-2013, 07:51 PM
Maybe it's not so much against Beyoncé (hey, there's much much worst than her out there) that it is about how strange it is seeing those two names right next to each other on a poster?

BEYONCÉ NINE INCH NAILS

(and everyone else)

I have a lot of imagination but never in a million years would I have been able to come up with this.

And I still think that back in the golden age of the Photoshop thread, there would have been a dozen pics of Pointing Trent and Beyoncé posted already.

RJK
04-11-2013, 08:37 PM
It is a two day festival with two headliners so they aren't playing the same day. I don't know what the problem is.

Krazy
04-11-2013, 08:38 PM
"Nine Inch" nails Beyonce. <---- wouldve been a good April Fools joke. Jay Z changes name to 9".

Anyways as others have said there's been worse. Kanye West and NIN co-headlined Lollapalooza back in '08. One of the things I clearly remember from that night was all the "Kanye Sucks!!" chants as everyone was filing out to the streets.

Jinsai
04-11-2013, 08:54 PM
These things usually have multiple stages with different types of music.

howdidislipinto
04-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Anyways as others have said there's been worse. Kanye West and NIN co-headlined Lollapalooza back in '08. One of the things I clearly remember from that night was all the "Kanye Sucks!!" chants as everyone was filing out to the streets.

"There's been worse" than what? Two artists people love headlining a festival? What the devil are you even going on about?

I don't see anyone rushing to point out that on a record sales level (in, say, the last 10 years), NIN really SHOULDN'T be next to Beyonce on that poster. But they are, and that's fucking awesome for everyone, and maybe NIN will even get some cool attention from it instead of just us hopeless nerds hanging on his every move.

And what kind of idiot would turn NIN and Kanye co-headlining into a competition? Everybody wins in that situation! Except for fans of both, of which I know many. Trent likes Kanye. Kanye fucking LOVES Trent, as we've seen from his many shoutouts. In that situation the only losers are music fans with pathetically closed minds.

gorast
04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
I think maybe some of us are taking the original post a bit too seriously. Beyonce is pretty much standing on top of the world now - it really is incredible that NIN is a co-headliner considering the band hasn't existed for the past four years.

Why is it considered so strange, anyway? This is what festivals are about. At least, this is what I thought festivals were about - bringing together diverse acts for the sake of getting the biggest crowds possible. It's not like NIN's fuckin' opening for Beyonce.

Frozen Beach
04-11-2013, 10:02 PM
If only it were Sheryl Crow, then Trent could have made Pussygrinder a real song.

screwdriver
04-11-2013, 10:03 PM
"There's been worse" than what? Two artists people love headlining a festival? What the devil are you even going on about?

I don't see anyone rushing to point out that on a record sales level (in, say, the last 10 years), NIN really SHOULDN'T be next to Beyonce on that poster. But they are, and that's fucking awesome for everyone, and maybe NIN will even get some cool attention from it instead of just us hopeless nerds hanging on his every move.

And what kind of idiot would turn NIN and Kanye co-headlining into a competition? Everybody wins in that situation! Except for fans of both, of which I know many. Trent likes Kanye. Kanye fucking LOVES Trent, as we've seen from his many shoutouts. In that situation the only losers are music fans with pathetically closed minds.

just wanted to write about how right you are. honestly, I'm not a big Jay-Z/Beyonce fan (though I think Kanye is great), but like... NIN isn't even in the same stratosphere of popularity as Beyonce, which means that when they were picked to headline, they were picked out of respect by the curators. I think thats pretty fucking cool -- nice to see NIN getting some credit from the biggest mogul in music right now.

Krazy
04-11-2013, 10:04 PM
^^^ Holy shit Kim K, CHILL THE FUCK OUT!!!

Anyways, I honestly don't have an issue with Beyonce co-headlining a festival with NIN. Honestly think it's good pub for NIN and don't mind her music one bit. If you like the hack that is Kanye is so be it. I don't give a fuck if Trent likes Kanye (which I doubt) or not- he sucks in my opinion and I'm somewhat open minded about rap/hip hop.

Put away the sauce and go to bed.

screwdriver
04-11-2013, 10:07 PM

thats weird, considering Kanye went out of the way to not make it a competition (and said some nice things about NIN in the process) http://www.gigwise.com/news/45323/Kanye-West-Praises-Nine-Inch-Nails-Good-Music

Krazy
04-11-2013, 10:13 PM
thats weird, considering Kanye went out of the way to not make it a competition (and said some nice things about NIN in the process) http://www.gigwise.com/news/45323/Kanye-West-Praises-Nine-Inch-Nails-Good-Music

My opinion of Kanye West and his music won't change because he may or may not be a fan of Trent, and was spotted at one of the Wave Goodbye shows. My comment was a bit tongue in cheek and like Final Destiny quoted it wasn't meant to be a serious thing.

howdidislipinto
04-11-2013, 10:35 PM
^^^ Holy shit Kim K, CHILL THE FUCK OUT!!!

Anyways, I honestly don't have an issue with Beyonce co-headlining a festival with NIN. Honestly think it's good pub for NIN and don't mind her music one bit. If you like the hack that is Kanye is so be it. I don't give a fuck if Trent likes Kanye (which I doubt) or not- he sucks in my opinion and I'm somewhat open minded about rap/hip hop.

Put away the sauce and go to bed.

You're embarrassing yourself.

allegro
04-11-2013, 11:39 PM
Could be worse?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lku6S24pWSU

shagg_187
04-12-2013, 06:14 AM
Maybe now they can finally perform tracks from Strobe Light!

BenAkenobi
04-12-2013, 06:21 AM
remembering Trent commenting on sharing rehearsal space with Britney Spears. saying he was impressed with all the hard work and production. it will only benefit nin, without a doubt.

icklekitty
04-12-2013, 07:30 AM
Naaaw, everyone already said everything I wanted to.

Kylie.

I would fly there today and chain myself to the barrier.

veruz
04-15-2013, 10:23 AM
Anyone knows if NIN are playing on saturday or sunday?

GibbonBlack
04-15-2013, 10:39 AM
what do we care? It's not for another hundred years anyway. I wouldn't buy your tickets just yet though. Anything can happen

Nine Inch Nails and Beyonce are co-headlining the 2103 Budweiser Made in America Festival in Philly

ambergris
04-15-2013, 12:05 PM
If they were to do a song together....which would it be? I would love to hear Trent sing "Halo" lol...i think it would actually sounds pretty good.

Haha! NIN's next release: Halo 28: Halo

Oh, and my opinion on Beyoncé, her career is declining. Jay-Z is doing his best to prevent it, but it's over. I liked a couple of her songs, especially Bootylicious, but she's become insufferable.

icklekitty
04-15-2013, 02:57 PM
I lost faith in Beyonce when she decided to become a blonde-haired white person.

slave2thewage
04-15-2013, 03:01 PM
Shame this isn't happening at Voodoo, I'd love to see Mariqueen do Independant Women with Beyonce.

sick among the pure
04-15-2013, 04:30 PM
what do we care? It's not for another hundred years anyway. I wouldn't buy your tickets just yet though. Anything can happen

Probably people who want to buy tickets when they go on sale in 2 days want to know. Why would we want to not buy tickets yet?

theimage13
04-15-2013, 07:01 PM

Nine Inch Nails and Beyonce are co-headlining the 2103 Budweiser Made in America Festival

Probably people who want to buy tickets when they go on sale in 2 days want to know. Why would we want to not buy tickets yet?

So you're just ignoring the part where the date listed in the OP - and again in the post you quoted - is 2103? You know...that part of the post that clearly identified it as a light-hearted poking of fun at the typo?

sick among the pure
04-15-2013, 07:48 PM
So you're just ignoring the part where the date listed in the OP - and again in the post you quoted - is 2103?

Actually, I didn't quote any post with 2103 in it, and I missed the typo on the OP.

sheepdean
04-15-2013, 09:11 PM
Shame this isn't happening at Voodoo, I'd love to see Mariqueen do Independant Women with Beyonce.
Possibly the best idea to ever happen ever

Kid Charlemagne
04-16-2013, 12:20 AM
What is the point of this thread exactly?

Anyone who attends Beyonce's set will be pleasantly surprised at it, she's a natural performer and one of the biggest pop stars on the planet, so she knows what she's doing. Having covered one of her shows on her last tour, I can assure you that she'll put on a fantastic show. Besides, as far as headliners go, I'd much rather see her than Phoenix or Red Hot Chili Peppers who are everywhere this year as headliners (well aware Phoenix are on this lineup). Last year this had Pearl Jam and Jay-Z headlining, so it'll be fine. Plus this lineup is stacked and not even close to being finalized. QOTSA, Wiz Khalifa, Kendrick Lamar, Miguel, Public Enemy, 2 Chainz, Gaslight Anthem, A$AP Rocky, Haim, Schoolboy Q, and Ab Soul. I sort of wish I was going to this.

GibbonBlack
04-16-2013, 06:42 AM
Actually, I didn't quote any post with 2103 in it, and I missed the typo on the OP.

he meant to say the part where I quoted the OP. When I made a lil' joke about the typo I quoted it so no one would miss what I was on about

sick among the pure
04-16-2013, 01:25 PM
he meant to say the part where I quoted the OP. When I made a lil' joke about the typo I quoted it so no one would miss what I was on about

Yeah, but I missed it anyway, lol.
(Speaking of lol, I miss the old word replacement filters...)

kenthebear
04-16-2013, 02:29 PM
who cares the bigger problem is that half of the artists aren't even 'made in america'
unless they mean 'made' as in they've 'made it'

because that's fucking stupid

GibbonBlack
04-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Yeah, but I missed it anyway, lol.
(Speaking of lol, I miss the old word replacement filters...)

I hope you didn't think I was being an asshole

slave2thewage
04-16-2013, 02:44 PM
who cares the bigger problem is that half of the artists aren't even 'made in america'
unless they mean 'made' as in they've 'made it'

because that's fucking stupid
I wish they were playing the "Maid in America" festival. Trent could dress up in an ensemble based off Jennifer Lopez in "Maid in Manhattan".

gorast
04-16-2013, 10:09 PM
Isn't the name just ripped from the Watch the Throne track? The lyrics refer to actually being successful in America, not being born here or anything.

And what does the festival's name have to do with anything? It's a festival, you could call it "Yet Another Fucking Festival" and no one would give a shit.

sheepdean
04-16-2013, 10:53 PM
I keep coming back to this thread hoping someone will unearth a collab

nycPRowler
04-17-2013, 02:29 PM
Kinky enough for trent? heh.

http://nycprowler.com/prowler/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/1366133859030.cached.jpg

gladcarrot
04-18-2013, 11:15 PM
I try not to let my personal politics interfere with my opinion of musicians and their politics, but I have make an exception for Beyonce. She is may very well be the biggest whore on the music industry, a horrible role model for young black women, and borderline traitor to her own country. And yet for some strange reason this woman and her husband are treated like royalty and get a free pass from the media. Don't forget this is a woman who performed a private concert for the Qaddafi family for $1 million, got the hospital where she gave birth to close down part of the floor for her, got a pass around airport security, and got special treatment to travel to Cuba when every other American is forbidden to do so. Anyone who pays to see her or her music is just contributing to this behavior. I would be extremely pissed off and conflicted if Trent even considered working with the whore.

thevoid99
04-19-2013, 12:12 AM
To me, Beyonce is nothing more than an overexposed, overrated, self-centered bitch. I tried to watch her documentary and it was just terrible.

icklekitty
04-19-2013, 05:59 AM
I try not to let my personal politics interfere with my opinion of musicians and their politics, but I have make an exception for Beyonce. She is may very well be the biggest whore on the music industry, a horrible role model for young black women, and borderline traitor to her own country. And yet for some strange reason this woman and her husband are treated like royalty and get a free pass from the media. Don't forget this is a woman who performed a private concert for the Qaddafi family for $1 million, got the hospital where she gave birth to close down part of the floor for her, got a pass around airport security, and got special treatment to travel to Cuba when every other American is forbidden to do so. Anyone who pays to see her or her music is just contributing to this behavior. I would be extremely pissed off and conflicted if Trent even considered working with the whore.

Don't be mean about whores.

jessamineny
04-19-2013, 04:18 PM

Why pick on Beyonce? Usher performed at that same Qaddafi concert. The year before? Mariah Carey. Nelly Furtado, 50 Cent and Lionel Ritchie have also reportedly played for the family.

Numerous musicians get passed through security at airports. There was just a report in February that Kim Kardashian and Kanye West had to get yanked off a plane at JFK after complaints that they had bypassed security (and, of course, the plane was delayed almost an hour waiting for them to properly go through security).

The birth of their daughter? The hospital didn't close down a floor of the hospital in some grand display of celebrity ass-kissing. The Carters paid for the privilege, because they wanted the security and they could afford it. I'm sure to them, it was the equivalent of the three-room birthing suites that "regular" wealthy people secure for their special days.

And Cuba? Almost 580,000 Americans managed to visit Cuba last year.

Calling her a whore (twice), a horrible role model for young black women and a U.S. traitor is beyond over the top.

slave2thewage
04-19-2013, 05:51 PM
I would be extremely pissed off and conflicted if Trent even considered working with the whore.
I was under the impression that "the whore" in NIN-speak was reserved exclusively for Courtney Love, no?

gladcarrot
04-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Why pick on Beyonce? Usher performed at that same Qaddafi concert. The year before? Mariah Carey. Nelly Furtado, 50 Cent and Lionel Ritchie have also reportedly played for the family.

Because the title of the thread is not "Nine Inch Nails and Usher are headlining the same festival?"
The above mentioned artists are also awful people who sell out their own country for money.

As far as being a terrible role model and traitor, please remember that 270 innocent people were murdered by by the Qadaffi regime including 189 Americans and 43 Britons when Pan Am Flight 103 was destroyed over Scotland. Beyonce and the others performed for the Qadaffi's for $1,000,000. In my book that makes you a traitor and a whore.

sheepdean
04-20-2013, 02:50 PM
Because the title of the thread is not "Nine Inch Nails and Usher are headlining the same festival?"
The above mentioned artists are also awful people who sell out their own country for money.

I wasn't aware Beyoncé OWNED a country to even be able to sell it out? I know she's rich but...

orestes
04-20-2013, 02:55 PM
My, my somebody excels in the Suffering Olympics.

Do you consider Trent a "whore" for selling out to vodaphone?

gladcarrot
04-20-2013, 03:05 PM
I wasn't aware Beyoncé OWNED a country to even be able to sell it out? I know she's rich but...

Beyoncé is an native born US citizen. The US (and the UK) and Libya were at de facto war for roughly 30 years. I'll be the first person to admit that the US and UK have misguided foreign policies, but that does not excuse her performing for people with whom we are engaged in a conflict with. Foreign policy aside, the Qadaffi's profited from plundering and brutalizing the people of Libya and Beyonce gladly accepted the money.

My, my somebody excels in the Suffering Olympics.
Do you consider Trent a "whore" for selling out to vodaphone?

You cannot possibly compare a telecommunications company to a regime that sponsors terrorist attacks against Americans.
By whore, I mean "to compromise one's principles for personal gain." Trent does no such thing. In fact, Trent sticks to his principles more than almost any other artist. I suppose Beyonce, Usher, Mariah Carey, etc, had no principles in the first place except to make as much money as possible, no matter the source. In that case, they would not be considered whores, just awful people.

sheepdean
04-20-2013, 03:09 PM
She's not a soldier. She has never been a soldier. She does not have to bend to the political whims of people she may not agree with. Play for a concert for Mugabe, Kim and Putin and she won't be selling out anything because that's not how it works.

gladcarrot
04-20-2013, 03:20 PM
She's not a soldier. She has never been a soldier. She does not have to bend to the political whims of people she may not agree with. Play for a concert for Mugabe, Kim and Putin and she won't be selling out anything because that's not how it works.

There is a HUGE difference between political differences and acts of terrorism. Mugabe, Kim, Putin did not murder almost 200 Americans. I really don't understand people defending her decision.

orestes
04-20-2013, 03:33 PM
Maybe you shouldn't use such misogynistic terms in your argument? You come off as an asshole.

gladcarrot
04-20-2013, 04:01 PM
Maybe you shouldn't use such misogynistic terms in your argument? You come off as an asshole.

"Whore = To compromise one's principles for personal gain." This definition is gender neutral.

Usher, Jay-Z, Lionel Richie are whores too. I know it's a very derogatory term but it's also very accurate. They deserve to be called derogatory terms. You could call them assholes as well.

orestes
04-20-2013, 05:03 PM
You may chose to label differing genders a whore but its origin is decidedly derogatory towards women. But you know what? Nobody should be labelled a whore, period. When you choose to use such derogatory language it only weakens your argument.

screwdriver
04-20-2013, 05:04 PM
this open letter sums up my feelings on jay-z and beyonce: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/phil-lord-jay-z-cuba_n_3069831.html

but... whatever

I like some Mel Gibson movies, I like some Jay-Z songs, and 2 Live Crew was awesome.

gladcarrot
04-20-2013, 05:26 PM
You may chose to label differing genders a whore but its origin is decidedly derogatory towards women. But you know what? Nobody should be labelled a whore, period. When you choose to use such derogatory language it only weakens your argument.

Fine. Beyonce is an individual that profits off those who commit terrorist attacks against Americans and atrocities against their own people.

What I chose to call her does not change the fact that she has no principles and is willing to perform for anybody that gives her enough money, even the most despicable people on the planet.

Frankly, I would rather be called a whore.

I'm sorry you are offended by what I chose to call her. I hope you also find offense in her actions and attitude towards her own countrymen and countrywomen.

sheepdean
04-20-2013, 05:33 PM
Fine. Beyonce is an individual that profits off those who commit terrorist attacks [..] and atrocities against their own people.Yeah, she did play at that Obama thing after all...

orestes
04-20-2013, 06:32 PM
Fine. Beyonce is an individual that profits off those who commit terrorist attacks against Americans and atrocities against their own people.

What I chose to call her does not change the fact that she has no principles and is willing to perform for anybody that gives her enough money, even the most despicable people on the planet.

Frankly, I would rather be called a whore.

I'm sorry you are offended by what I chose to call her. I hope you also find offense in her actions and attitude towards her own countrymen and countrywomen.

Ugh. *progressive moan*

You must have been so pissed at Trent for playing a NIN gig in China a few years back- what with their atrocious human rights record? If we're going to continue down this moral slippery slope, then I'm going to ask for a detailed inventory of everything you own because you know what? Everyone makes an ethical compromise everyday with their wallet.

If you want to be mad at artists like Beyonce for being sell outs or traitors to their conscience (note I didn't resort to calling her a whore) then by all means point some of that vitriol towards their management who approves such gigs. To be honest I highly doubt these artist could even recall much less know about Lockerbie. It was a lucrative and exotic paycheck.

tl; dr

Check your privilege.

dominik
04-20-2013, 06:35 PM
derogatory language

You just called him an asshole one posting before?

orestes
04-20-2013, 06:38 PM
Yes, saying someone comes off as a jerk for using a loaded word derived in sexism is the same or even worse.

gladcarrot
04-20-2013, 07:16 PM
Ugh. *progressive moan*

You must have been so pissed at Trent for playing a NIN gig in China a few years back- what with their atrocious human rights record? If we're going to continue down this moral slippery slope, then I'm going to ask for a detailed inventory of everything you own because you know what? Everyone makes an ethical compromise everyday with their wallet.

If you want to be mad at artists like Beyonce for being sell outs or traitors to their conscience (note I didn't resort to calling her a whore) then by all means point some of that vitriol towards their management who approves such gigs. To be honest I highly doubt these artist could even recall much less know about Lockerbie. It was a lucrative and exotic paycheck.

tl; dr

Check your privilege.

That is not the same at all. You are confusing the citizens of a country with their corrupt leaders. The Chinese people are not responsible for the actions of their government any more than the Libyan people are responsible for the actions of the Qadaffi family. I would not have cared if NIN performed for the Libyan people in Tripoli just as I don't care if NIN performs in China. Beyonce did not perform a concert for the Libyan people. She performed a concert for their corrupt ruling family. The same family that is a state sponsor of terrorism. The Chinese government does not bomb US Airliners.

The Lockerbie bombing was in 1988. The bombers were convicted in 2001. Sanctions on Libya were not lifted until 2003. Convicted bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahil was released to much criticism in 2009. All of these were extremely high profile event and are among the biggest news stories in our lifetimes. To imply that "I highly doubt these artist could even recall much less know about Lockerbie" is nonsense. Of course Beyonce and her management are old enough to remember the Lockerbie bombing. Even if they hadn't, which is highly unlikely, they should be smart enough to investigate the funding source of a $1,000,000 private performance. Remember, these artists would have kept their blood money had Wikileaks not leaked this information.

orestes
04-20-2013, 07:45 PM
I think you give such people too much credit. Some people could give two shits about politics; all they care about is a performance fee or having a ridiculous rider (http://www.crushable.com/2013/03/30/entertainment/jennifer-lopez-demands-cricket-gig-pitbull/) fulfilled.

This post from @botley (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=469) in another topic fits succinctly

I don't care how people perceive the band artistically; that's clearly all subjective and blah blah blah. But people also operate on a weird fantasy set of premises on how the music business works, in terms of motivations etc. and that just sucks because it reinforces shitty prejudices.

Let it be known that I don't condone Beyonce's actions. I have issues with her as well. The problem is with the casual misogyny in your attacks.

gladcarrot
04-20-2013, 10:35 PM
The problem is with the casual misogyny in your attacks.

A definition of misogyny includes the sexual objectification of women.

If you are really that concerned about misogyny, and about preventing ETS from becoming NSFW, you may want to do delete the semi-nude pic of Beyonce in this post...

http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1569-Nine-Inch-Nails-and-Beyonce-are-headlining-the-same-festival?p=81645#post81645
(http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1569-Nine-Inch-Nails-and-Beyonce-are-headlining-the-same-festival?p=81645#post81645)

I'm done now.

orestes
04-20-2013, 10:43 PM
LOL, okay.

slave2thewage
04-20-2013, 10:51 PM
The Lockerbie bombing was in 1988.
LOL, Beyonce would've been a child then. Why the fuck should we care about something that happened 25 years ago now?

allegro
04-20-2013, 10:51 PM
Beyonce was 7 at the time of the Lockerbie bombing.

But she's an idiot. A very rich idiot.

I didn't know shit about this private concert for that freed Lockerbie bomber, though.

I don't know what this has to do with NIN playing the same fest as her; should everyone boycott? Sounds good to me! I hate festivals !!

orestes
04-20-2013, 11:01 PM
LOL, Beyonce would've been a child then. Why the fuck should we care about something that happened 25 years ago now?

Because celebrities should be held to higher standard than governments!

gladcarrot
04-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Beyonce was 7 at the time of the Lockerbie bombing.

But she's an idiot. A very rich idiot.

I didn't know shit about this private concert for that freed Lockerbie bomber, though.

I don't know what this has to do with NIN playing the same fest as her; should everyone boycott? Sounds good to me! I hate festivals !!

I know I said I was done, but I want to make sure facts are correct. Beyonce did NOT perform for for the bomber. She (among others) performed for the Qadaffi family.

Rolling Stone article about Qadaffi party (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/industry-lashes-out-at-mariah-beyonce-and-others-who-played-for-qaddafis-family-20110225)

For those of you too young to remember or those who don't pay attention to the news, please read about the Pan Am 103 bombing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_103) It's important.

Why the fuck should we care about something that happened 25 years ago now?

Wow. That is an incredibly ignorant attitude. History is VERY important and it fucking matters. It matters a lot. You cannot possibly understand how today's geopolitical world works without historical content. The world existed before you were born.

It doesn't matter that Beyonce was only 7 when the bombing occurred. There is no statute of limitation for blowing up an American airliner full of innocent people.
Do you think the September 11, 2011 terrorist attacks won't matter 9 years from now?

Guess what else also happened 25 years ago? Nine Inch Nails was formed. That also matters.

BenAkenobi
04-21-2013, 12:29 AM
okay...

Beyonce is a terrorist! Trent cancel your show! Proud americans demand it!

sounds silly, non?

allegro
04-21-2013, 01:26 AM
I know I said I was done, but I want to make sure facts are correct. Beyonce did NOT perform for for the bomber. She (among others) performed for the Qadaffi family.

Rolling Stone article about Qadaffi party (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/industry-lashes-out-at-mariah-beyonce-and-others-who-played-for-qaddafis-family-20110225)

For those of you too young to remember or those who don't pay attention to the news, please read about the Pan Am 103 bombing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pan_Am_103) It's important.

Wow. That is an incredibly ignorant attitude. History is VERY important and it fucking matters. It matters a lot. You cannot possibly understand how today's geopolitical world works without historical content. The world existed before you were born.

It doesn't matter that Beyonce was only 7 when the bombing occurred. There is no statute of limitation for blowing up an American airliner full of innocent people.
Do you think the September 11, 2011 terrorist attacks won't matter 9 years from now?

Guess what else also happened 25 years ago? Nine Inch Nails was formed. That also matters.
Not really.

I am old so I remember Lockerbie very clearly. However, I was serious in that I know absolutely nothing about Beyonce, her tours, her music, or her being another of these celebrities performing for millions of dollars at the private parties of rich people with way too much fucking money.

http://www.today.com/id/18024485/ns/today-entertainment/t/j-lo-available-parties-million/

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/mar/10/entertainment/la-et-music-dictators-20110311

"But that can be difficult if the client is using a third-party intermediary or hiding behind a pseudonym, as one of Kadafi's sons is known to do, Van Ronkel said.

That was the explanation put forward by Carey last week when she renounced the reported $1 million she earned for giving a private 2008 New Year's Eve concert bankrolled by a member of the Kadafi family.

"I was naive and unaware of who I was booked to perform for," the singer, who has a substantial record of philanthropic activities, said in a statement. "I feel horrible and embarrassed to have participated in this mess. Going forward, this is a lesson for all artists to learn from. We need to be more aware and take more responsibility, regardless of who books our shows."

Beyoncé said in a statement that she hadn't realized who was picking up the tab for a Kadafi-sponsored private party. "Once it became known that the third-party promoter was linked to the Kadafi family, the decision was made to put that payment to a good cause," the statement read. The singer said she already had donated the money she earned to Haitian earthquake-relief efforts.

Chris Palmer, a former vice president of progressive music and senior vice president of marketing for Warner Bros. Records, said that many artists typically are disconnected from who they are performing for, or for what reason, being more interested in putting on a good show.

"Some of the artists are so focused on being good entertainers, they're oblivious to the politics," said Palmer, now an assistant professor and program director for Arts Presenting at the University of Miami Frost School of Music. "Not all artists are as politically aware as Bruce Springsteen, Sting or Bono. It's a responsibility of their agents, and support staff, and the people around them to make that kind of call."
-------
None of this, however, explains the purpose of this thread. What if I start a thread, "FRIGHTENED RABBIT TO PERFORM AT SAME SHITTY FESTIVAL AS NIN!!!" Will that thread last this long?

dominik
04-21-2013, 04:53 AM
The problem is with the casual misogyny in your attacks.

Don't you think you overreact a little bit? Seriously. People get called names all the time.. get over it.

sheepdean
04-21-2013, 08:41 AM
*Not all Americans think the same way
*Don't use misogynistic language
*Trent isn't the only musician in the world
*Festivals are for making money, not for the fans
*What the fuck is going on in this thread

slave2thewage
04-21-2013, 09:16 AM
As someone who studied history for three years in university, I can tell you Lockerbie is pretty much a minor footnote in modern history.

It doesn't matter that Beyonce was only 7 when the bombing occurred.
It kind of does.

There is no statute of limitation for blowing up an American airliner full of innocent people.
Awful things happen every single day in the world. Deal.

Lockerbie didn't usher in an era of fear and war that has lasted over ten years, though.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m025kgZycT1qgwde4o7_r1_500.gif

Amaro
04-21-2013, 09:24 AM
*facepalms the whole thread*

Fuck all of this shit...

Long live NIN.

(^ On topic)

Warped_Savant
04-21-2013, 09:29 AM
Wait, wait, wait... She made it so that Qaddafi had a million less dollars? Does that mean that if the US government had managed to freeze a bank account of his worth a million dollars they would have been betraying their country?

We should've sent the guy more celebrities! They might've been able to get all of his money out of him!
She should be honoured as an American Hero!

Leviathant
04-21-2013, 09:40 AM
This thread, which had a rough start, has gone completely off the rails, in ways I never could have imagined.

We already have a thread for the Made in America tour stop. We also have a thread where you can savage musicians you don't like. That Beyonce photo does not actually contain any nudity.