PDA

View Full Version : Thatcher is dead

Sutekh
04-08-2013, 08:35 AM
So!

Did she save the country or sell it out? Bit of both? (US people you can replace her with Reagan).

Contentious issue in the UK - I was checking my phone and got the notification of her death - said to my mate "Thatcher is dead" , and pretty much everyone on the platform was like "REALLY?!" ;)

onthewall2983
04-08-2013, 08:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp5_Ul-qG0w

sheepdean
04-08-2013, 10:07 AM
Ding dong, the bitch is dead

miss k bee
04-08-2013, 12:14 PM
I didnt agree with her politics, but she was a strong woman RIP

JamesCmuse
04-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I am entirely indifferent to her death. I really couldn't care. She was nothing to me or anyone around me and hasn't directly affected my life. There's a lot of hate on the internet though.. nasty stuff.

sheepdean
04-08-2013, 12:19 PM
I didnt agree with her politics, but she was a strong woman RIP
So was Myra Hindley

miss k bee
04-08-2013, 12:35 PM
Was Myra Hindley in politics???

sheepdean
04-08-2013, 12:38 PM
No, but she was a strong woman.

Just because she was strong in her opinions doesn't mean we should respect her. Let's put in a new female PM who we don't have to be ashamed of as a nation, and let's praise her strength.

miss k bee
04-08-2013, 12:41 PM
Well she was better than this streak of piss government we have now!.

Sutekh
04-08-2013, 12:43 PM
In what way

sheepdean
04-08-2013, 12:44 PM
I'd argue they're as bad as each other - at least Cameron is working FOR gay rights (which I still don't believe and am sure there's an ulterior motive).

Then again, I have no idea who to vote for next election as I can't justify supporting Lib Dem as long as Clegg is in charge.

Sutekh
04-08-2013, 12:50 PM
I am entirely indifferent to her death. I really couldn't care. She was nothing to me or anyone around me and hasn't directly affected my life. There's a lot of hate on the internet though.. nasty stuff.

She almost certainly will have affected your life... the financial crisis is hitting Ireland pretty hard, Thatcher was instrumental in the deregulation of financial services

Also her denying hunger strikers political status caused a massive spike in violence in Northern Ireland - but if that hasn't affected you or anyone you know, that's great

slave2thewage
04-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Forever happy that I was in Northern Ireland today for when she died to see the absolute glee on people's faces.

Sutekh
04-08-2013, 02:06 PM
best day for facebook ever, civil war on my friends list

slave2thewage
04-08-2013, 02:52 PM
Oh, RTE, you never disappoint:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/150700_569578363076614_112416032_n.jpg

Sutekh
04-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Glasgow keeping it classy :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-22072150

"Glasgow City Council have urged people to stay away from the city's George Square after hundreds gathered to mark the death of Baroness Thatcher."

miss k bee
04-08-2013, 03:33 PM
A great night to work in media/news monitoring - not!

slave2thewage
04-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Also, the biggest online-only news site in Ireland gave us perhaps the greatest typo ever today:

"Margaret Thatcher, the former British Prime Minister, has died from a strike at the age of 87."

JamesCmuse
04-08-2013, 04:26 PM
She almost certainly will have affected your life... the financial crisis is hitting Ireland pretty hard, Thatcher was instrumental in the deregulation of financial services

Also her denying hunger strikers political status caused a massive spike in violence in Northern Ireland - but if that hasn't affected you or anyone you know, that's great

I would have only been a young child at the time, as would my friends. Also, I don't think you could link her to our current financial crisis, considering how good things were in our celtic tiger years and how much banks were administering loans and mortgages to people who could never, ever pay them back. This was our biggest downfall after having it so good, as far as I'm aware.

On the other hand I know very little about politics and you're probably right. I heard of all the horrid things she did in power but never linked them to any of the conditions I grew up in.

liquidcalm
04-08-2013, 05:17 PM
considering how good things were in our celtic tiger years and how much banks were administering loans and mortgages to people who could never, ever pay them back.

Those loans being pretty much a result of the deregulation she put in place...

Highly Psychological
04-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Most of the the Irish in the UK certainly hated her, im second generation Irish, and grew up in an massively Irish area of North London in the 80s and majority hated her with a passion. Dear god the profanity.

Im amazed she made it out alive to be honest, i found the Section 28 bill the most repulsive piece of legislation during her whole 11 years.
But oddly i still felt sad when i heard the news. cant put my finger on it, Feels like the end of an era or something.

JamesCmuse
04-08-2013, 05:33 PM
Ah, never thought of that, thank you! I'm not really entirely up to date on politics as I should be..

sheepdean
04-08-2013, 05:36 PM
But oddly i still felt sad when i heard the news. cant put my finger on it, Feels like the end of an era or something.
It's like, NOW whose grave do we plan to dance on?

Sutekh
04-08-2013, 06:23 PM
I'd say Iain Duncan Smith is setting himself up pretty nicely with his £53 a week comments

The sheer amount of suicides that are in the post will win Milliband the election - I seriously hope I turn out to be wrong, but honestly I can't see it unfolding any other way. And when you consider how smart the tories are & how they must surely know what will happen... pretty chilling, really.

orestes
04-08-2013, 07:18 PM
It's like, NOW whose grave do we plan to dance on?

Ian Paisley?

miss k bee
04-08-2013, 07:40 PM
Papers are late tonight - wonder why? Appearently there is partying outside Brixton police station!

Sutekh
04-08-2013, 07:59 PM
if the daily mirror doesn't print pictures of thatcher with savile tommorow, I will assume invasion of the bodysnatchers is actually happening :P

scotty79
04-09-2013, 01:02 AM
if the daily mirror doesn't print pictures of thatcher with savile tommorow, I will assume invasion of the bodysnatchers is actually happening :P

If the headline doesn't read something along the lines of "who screwed more miners" then something is definitely wrong

slave2thewage
04-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Ian Paisley?
I will ugly-cackle when he kicks it.

WorzelG
04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
How did she die? All I've heard is in the Ritz at 87 - talk about having the last laugh. I hated her at the time but it almost seemed like it was the done thing to do from watching the Young Ones too much, I wasn't a political person - I think she was a bit mad personally towards the end of her 'reign'.

Now looking back, I think she helped create the obsession with owning your own home and the way it's made the country so dependent on house prices whereas other countries don't have this stigma towards renting. It created classes of people - home owners, those who don't who can't afford to get on the ladder - and the fact that the money made from selling your house has equalled a pension since the government pension is so shit

I don't like what she did about manufacturing, I don't know what she could have done to save some of it, but she could have been less cruel about that and the miners, maybe closing mines less suddenly

I definitely agree we should have protected the Falklands though, if the people wanted to remain british, we owed it to help them

icklekitty
04-09-2013, 02:53 PM
Stroke, or strike if you're a news transcriber that can't type.

scotty79
04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Ding dong the witch is dead is currently at number 2 in the charts, guaranteed number 1 by Sunday I would expect

sheepdean
04-09-2013, 05:42 PM
How did she die? Stroke, again

allegro
04-09-2013, 06:06 PM
How did she die? All I've heard is in the Ritz at 87 - talk about having the last laugh. I hated her at the time but it almost seemed like it was the done thing to do from watching the Young Ones too much, I wasn't a political person - I think she was a bit mad personally towards the end of her 'reign'.

Now looking back, I think she helped create the obsession with owning your own home and the way it's made the country so dependent on house prices whereas other countries don't have this stigma towards renting. It created classes of people - home owners, those who don't who can't afford to get on the ladder - and the fact that the money made from selling your house has equalled a pension since the government pension is so shit

I don't like what she did about manufacturing, I don't know what she could have done to save some of it, but she could have been less cruel about that and the miners, maybe closing mines less suddenly

I definitely agree we should have protected the Falklands though, if the people wanted to remain british, we owed it to help them

I'm an American who was still in school when she was elected: While I didn't like her politics, from an American's perspective I give her credit for being a feminist and for being a female who broke a very big male barrier. We have yet to have a female President in the United States and it's not likely that we will anytime soon, we're WAY behind in that regard.

edit: I must add that us Americans, even in 1979, didn't know much about her other than she was friends with conservative assholes like Ronald Reagan. There wasn't much of a difference between Ronald Reagan and Maggie Thatcher, except here in the U.S. Reagan has been nearly declared a saint. Which says a lot more about the U.S. than it does about Reagan or Thatcher.

JamesCmuse
04-09-2013, 06:35 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/apr/09/russell-brand-margaret-thatcher?CMP=twt_gu

Funnily enough, the best article I've seen about Thatcher is written by Russell Brand. Never pegged him for such an intelligent guy.

Sutekh
04-10-2013, 04:05 AM
He's the same as Jimmy Carr - intelligent and thoughtful (and much funnier) when not putting on his persona.

Absolutely nobody sticking up for Thatcher yet? Interesting... a lot of people I know have fallen out with each other in the past 2 days!

Sallos
04-11-2013, 07:50 AM
We have yet to have a female President in the United States and it's not likely that we will anytime soon, we're WAY behind in that regard.

Yeah when all you have to offer are the likes of Michelle Bachman, Sarah Palin and even Hillary, i wouldn't be counting on a female president in the upcoming years.

Anyway, something tells me that the very same people that are happy with Thatchers demise would be the first to jump on someone's throat for rejoicing over the death of lets say, Chavez, or maybe not. Only time i ever felt happy about someone's death was Bin Laden, and being happy about the death of a politician with no records of corruption or any other misdeeds, besides questionable politics which there's no consensus that indeed provoked the actual crisis is something that i find a little disturbing. Then again i don't live in Britain, so i can't really say much, though all i hear is how she faced Unions, dismantled industries (done everywhere around 1st world countries) and maybe the falkan isles incident.

aggroculture
04-11-2013, 08:04 AM
Happiness over the death of any human being - even if it's Bin Laden or Hitler - is a misguided response.
People in Britain have no reason to rejoice, she wasn't oppressing them anymore. They even elected a Tory government again ffs.
If people channel the energy they put into "hating" these figureheads into actually changing the world for the better...oh well.

icklekitty
04-11-2013, 08:10 AM
They even elected a Tory government again ffs.
If you're referring to the current government, no, we didn't

Highly Psychological
04-11-2013, 01:48 PM
About 60 per cent of the people celebrating her death were either not born or too young to remember her as PM.
A huge amount of people at the Brixton celebration were under 25. so would have no memory.
I think it drew out more or less the same type of people as the Student Riots from back in November 2010.
Luckily it did not descend into madness this time.

miss k bee
04-12-2013, 06:19 AM
About 60 per cent of the people celebrating her death were either not born or too young to remember her as PM.
A huge amount of people at the Brixton celebration were under 25. so would have no memory.
I think it drew out more or less the same type of people as the Student Riots from back in November 2010. e
Luckily it did not descend into madness this time.

The madness will be on Saturday around Trafalger Square. I hope it does not kick off but not holding out much hope. I can understand people up north and relatives of miners partying, but not middle class anarchists in London. Also Ding Dong the Witch is Dead likely to be number one on Sunday ffs!

sheepdean
04-12-2013, 07:56 AM
I lived through the 90s. I don't have to remember her to see what she did.

Sutekh
04-12-2013, 08:12 AM

Yes but they have grown up in the conditions she created - Thatcher's time in office was very much a case of before & after, Britain was profoundly changed, so everyone who has lived in Britain since then has had their lives subjected to her vision in some way

Very few people on this forum lived under the reigns of Mao or Hitler, does that mean we would be incorrect to think badly of those people? It's a bit of a nonsense thing to say & I keep seeing it again and again - as we speak Thatcher's ideological heirs are stitching up disabled people and people talk like when Thatcher was kicked out, the spell was magically broken or something

But yes class war or the black bloc or ALARM or whatever they're calling themselves these days will always kick off given a chance, it's part of their philosophy

miss k bee
04-12-2013, 03:19 PM
SCARGILL ALIVE!!

Surprised Nancy Regan is still alive as well!

Brian Blessed on Have I Got News for You tonight is hilarious!

slave2thewage
04-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Aww, "Ding Dong The Witch is Dead" only got to 33 in the Irish charts today.

Highly Psychological
04-12-2013, 06:43 PM
http://www.nme.com/news/public-image-ltd/69689

I agree with what John Lydon said.

miss k bee
04-13-2013, 06:05 PM
I agree with Carole Malone in today's Sunday Mirror
'Maggie morons just disgust me'