slave2thewage
11-29-2011, 03:46 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py_PavqqOao

Christo
11-29-2011, 08:41 AM
I really like Mikey's post

Amaro
11-29-2011, 09:34 AM
Not really. But I do tolerate. It's not terrible. And it's only for two months more, tops.

marodi
11-29-2011, 03:49 PM
On November 1st, I quit the job I had for the last 14 years. Health issues forced me to make that decision. It was a very hard thing to do too since I really love the place and that I had many advantages that I'm going to miss (4 weeks a year of vacation, health coverage that included that darn dentist etc).

Such is life, I guess!

Malechite
11-29-2011, 04:20 PM
I love my job but i cant for the life of me figure out why my goddamn code doesn't work! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

sublimaze
11-29-2011, 04:29 PM
My job begins too early in the day (6:45 AM), otherwise it's pretty cool.

Malechite
11-29-2011, 05:22 PM
I love my job but i cant for the life of me figure out why my goddamn code doesn't work! :mad::mad::mad::mad:

I figured it out. Someone else's code fucked with my code. :rolleyes:

bgalbraith
11-29-2011, 05:24 PM
I figured it out. Someone else's code fucked with my code. :rolleyes:

At least it wasn't your fault.. I've gone crazy over basic things not working only to discover I was looking at production instead of development..

Torgo
11-29-2011, 08:51 PM
Ugh. Hollywood.

icklekitty
11-30-2011, 02:59 AM
Quitting my full-time job and working for myself was the best decision I ever made. I do still have a really cushy morning job in an office with SO MANY perks (free things, dinners, out, celebrities) to pay my basic bills just-in-case, but the rest of the time is all my own and I doubt I ever work more than a 30 hour week yet I make more than I ever have.

Lisbeth
11-30-2011, 09:14 AM
I'm a full time mom, frau, cat herder and turtle rancher.

I've been "retired" for 6.5 years...before that I worked in the medical device industry, as well as, various laboratory settings.

ETA: I'm embracing being a full time mom although it has let my mind go to mush, and I don't like that.

Amaro
11-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Quitting my full-time job and working for myself was the best decision I ever made. I do still have a really cushy morning job in an office with SO MANY perks (free things, dinners, out, celebrities) to pay my basic bills just-in-case, but the rest of the time is all my own and I doubt I ever work more than a 30 hour week yet I make more than I ever have.

Damn cool.

Torgo
11-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Ugh. Hollywood.

Going off on this a bit.

I am BEYOND tired of people being in positions they shouldn't be in... who are completely ignorant, but have their job because they know people or have the right amount of money. Hollywood is FULL of these people (surprise!) and I WISH I didn't have to deal with them to get higher on the totem pole.

Dra508
11-30-2011, 04:06 PM
Going off on this a bit.

I am BEYOND tired of people being in positions they shouldn't be in... who are completely ignorant, but have their job because they know people or have the right amount of money. Hollywood is FULL of these people (surprise!) and I WISH I didn't have to deal with them to get higher on the totem pole.This is not an issue exclusive to Hollywood. Not a day goes by that I don't ask myself "how the fuck did she/he get that position and manage to keep it."

A work buddy was talking to my boss today and he later told me my boss said I made him nervous. I'm the only one in his group that has management experience. This guy wants my affirmation! Holy shit. He's got a PhD in experimental pysch or something, He's got more smarts in his pinkie then I have and he wants my affirmation - WOW. I knew I could be intimidating, but dang, I need to work on my I'm-approachable-and-sweet-demeanor or something.

MAD
11-30-2011, 05:22 PM
I love my job. I quit what most would call a dream job to take this one. Bigger paycheck, a bit more relaxing but I do work my ass off when needed.
Comfy chair, cool desk, AC whenever I want, discounted snacks, nice colleagues.

bgalbraith
11-30-2011, 07:52 PM
One of my jobs is to do research for my PhD, which, at the moment, includes trying to co-opt the blender game engine into being a virtual environment for our robotics platform. It partially works, but the part that doesn't work is evading all attempts to fix it and mocking me in the process :mad:

redshoewearer
11-30-2011, 10:49 PM
My work for pay is owning/running a fitness center that has aerobic classes, most of which I teach. I'm bored of it and have returned to school for review so I can resume graduate study in mathematics. This board is going to hinder my work - I'm supposed to be studying right this minute.

leo3375
11-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Right now I'm working two jobs: one is my full-time job and helps pay the mortgage; the other is my "Fun-money" job so I can have some disposable income for whatever I feel like buying/saving up for. Both jobs involve dealing with tourists and travelers on a regular basis. Sometimes they're cranky, but if I can make them laugh or at least smile I know I've made their day somehow.

Kid Charlemagne
11-30-2011, 10:53 PM
I could take or leave my job. There's a managerial position up for grabs in my department that I could get by default, but the other managers are put off by my "care free and fuck it" attitude. They hoped I would take something seriously for once, but I haven't shown them that. Then again, they should look at the fact that I'm 22 years old in college and just want money for expenses, I'm not looking to make a career out of it, and that upsets them.

Jadezuki
11-30-2011, 10:57 PM
http://youtu.be/z2wrU2tkl38

bruised
11-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I love my job, I'm a UPS driver. Tis the season!

Big Fat Matt
12-01-2011, 12:49 AM
My job is awesome and a pain in the dick all at once. I sell Chrysler parts 10 minutes removed from the ghetto, and 15 minutes away from the largest arabic population in the tri-state area. i get a LOT of mangled english, and being a grammar nazi, it infuriates me. though free oil changes and killer deals on parts for my minivan is cool. 99% of my co-workers are super cool people.

playwithfire
12-01-2011, 01:40 AM
More 4:45am work days in my life than usual while the guy who normally opens the store on most weekdays is on vacation. I don't like my job that much but it's tolerable and I'm grateful to have one. Also, health insurance. This time next year I will be in a situation I'm happier with, though. I've already done nearly 2 years of a job I don't like. If I don't like my job, I want it do it more part time so I can supplement it with artsy income sources or I want to be making a lot more money than I do. Because I don't make very much.

Rémy
12-01-2011, 01:54 AM
I now work for an international humanitarian organisation in Afghanistan. It's what I'd always dreamt of doing during my 4 years at university. This is my job:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX291gOXGH4 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX291gOXGH4)

scotty79
12-01-2011, 09:20 AM
my jobs pretty cool, I get to drive about in a big ass Volvo all day movin logs and loading the log decks, only bad thing is early shift which is a 6am start and I'm not a mornin person

fixate
12-01-2011, 09:29 AM
Sadly, I don't enjoy my job. I work at a print shop full time for people that don't know what the hell they're doing even though they've been in business 25+ years. Working to jumpstart a freelance career, but that's going to take time unfortunately.

redshoewearer
12-01-2011, 10:21 AM
Remy that was amazing. What a cool thing to be doing.

scottness
12-02-2011, 12:27 AM
I have a great job with awesome co-workers. Unfortunately, I'll soon be leaving because something inside me keeps reminding me that I don't want to remain single for the rest of my life.

dogsipod
12-02-2011, 02:16 AM
my job is pretty neat. Hours suck a little, commute makes me get up at 4am so I can workout before i head in.

merfed
12-02-2011, 05:24 AM
I'm an animator, the complete lack of sleep is terrible, but it's fun.

Tea
12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
I have a "music industry" desk job. The office is small but with nice coworkers, and I get to listen to current music and research it all day. It's great, except the pay is not. And I'm actually in one of those "good buddies" situations with my boss, who I have to deal with all day, so I'm really lucky there.

waffel
12-02-2011, 06:17 PM
I'm a free lance worker for the business school in my university. Whenever they need something I don my cape and precede to do research, print stuff, code things, edit papers or any crazy thing they come up with. Though I do love my job, I don't get to work enough hours so I might become a burger flipper at my school.

halloween
12-03-2011, 09:21 AM
I don't have a "real life job", but i work at school being a monitor at my dept. (photo), and also have been working at my school's professional art gallery (meaning it's not a student run/student work gallery) for the past three and half years. The gallery job is my favourite, i've learned a lot about general construction and of course art handling and installing. And my boss is the most awesome guy! I'll miss him when I graduate =[

I used to think because of this gallery job that i'd like to go into that area after school, but something tells me it's going to be so vastly different that it might not be as fun...

The Fifth Witness
12-03-2011, 09:37 AM
Mine is pretty fun. I work at Target overnight while going to school - unloading trucks, moving freight to the sales floor, and stocking it. My sleep schedule is pretty crazy and it led to a no-call, no-show last night. Hopefully I'm not in danger of losing the job. It pays pretty well.

ItsJustDave
02-24-2012, 04:08 PM
It's been over 14 years since I've interviewed for a job. Today, I had one. Is it still necessary/expected to where a suit when you interview for an office job? I didn't wear one and talking with my friends (who've already migrated over to this place) over lunch the general opinion is that I should have (as they both did). The dress code at this place is more like khakis & polo. Thoughts?

Regardless, it seemed like the interview went pretty well.

Blackbookpress1984
02-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I currently work as an MSD clerk handling dafety paperwork and physical inventory of chemicals for a chemical manufacturer. Its kind of cool. i get to listen to my ipod all day. But it gets kind of repetitive. Oh well. its a job right? Now if they would only make me a permanent employee rather than a temp. (fingers crossed)

DF118
02-24-2012, 04:20 PM
It's been over 14 years since I've interviewed for a job. Today, I had one. Is it still necessary/expected to where a suit when you interview for an office job? I didn't wear one and talking with my friends (who've already migrated over to this place) over lunch the general opinion is that I should have (as they both did). The dress code at this place is more like khakis & polo. Thoughts?

It's would always wear a suit for an office job regardless of the dress code. However, I've known one or two people who've turned up to a shorts and t-shirts place dressed causally, and still got the job- but that's very much been because of a very laid back environment and interviewer. You sell yourself better as a suit though- it indicates that you mean to perform. Did anyone draw attention to it in the interview?

The number one thing to take away from an interview, is that it's all about the experience. If you blew it, you can learn from that and you wont make the same mistake again. I should add that that I've blown hundreds of the damn things.

ItsJustDave
02-24-2012, 04:26 PM
It's would always wear a suit for an office job regardless of the dress code. However, I've known one or two people who've turned up to a shorts and t-shirts place dressed causally, and still got the job- but that's very much been because of a very laid back environment and interviewer. You sell yourself better as a suit though- it indicates that you mean to perform. Did anyone draw attention to it in the interview?

The number one thing to take away from an interview, is that it's all about the experience. If you blew it, you can learn from that and you wont make the same mistake again. I should add that that I've blown hundreds of the damn things.

No one drew any attention to it during the interview. I only became aware of it after the fact because my friends said something when we met up for lunch. Obviously, regardless of the outcome, that will be the last time I make that mistake.

DF118
02-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Yeah, to be honest, you could be totally fine- a good employer will see past something like that if he recognises your value. If they don't they're not worth your time. Good luck!

ItsJustDave
02-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Yeah, to be honest, you could be totally fine- a good employer will see past something like that if he recognises your value. If they don't they're not worth your time. Good luck!

Yeah, that was my father-in-law's opinion on it as well (and he's been responsible for hiring a number of people over the years). Also, I just realized I used the wrong "where" in my original query. It's been a long day.

brightshadow
02-24-2012, 07:04 PM
I've been a death investigator for the last 4 years. It's my dream job and I absolutely love it. The only problem is the pay isn't that great so it looks like I'm going to have to find something part-time to supplement my income. Turns out it's really hard to get a job anywhere else because all of my work experience is in government and investigations--not exactly what they're looking for at Starbucks, Target, etc.

halloween
02-25-2012, 02:09 AM
I've been a death investigator for the last 4 years. It's my dream job and I absolutely love it. The only problem is the pay isn't that great so it looks like I'm going to have to find something part-time to supplement my income. Turns out it's really hard to get a job anywhere else because all of my work experience is in government and investigations--not exactly what they're looking for at Starbucks, Target, etc.
Ugh, that must be tough. Talk about overqualified heh.

millionmilesaway
02-25-2012, 09:10 AM
love my job but lately I feel like my supervisor is babysitting me, its very frustrating. She has been the supervisor for about 5 months now and has completely burnt herself out working way too many hours and trying to do everyone's work for them. If she would just let me do my job the way I like to do it both of us would have less to worry about.

dogsipod
02-25-2012, 10:35 AM
I may have to quit my job, my wife has to move. I am torn on this. I like my job a lot, but the idea of something new is exciting....and terrifying.

Ryan
02-25-2012, 04:49 PM
I work for an amazing IT security company and just had a cruise on Sydney harbour Friday night. Amazing business, amazing people.

ItsJustDave
02-27-2012, 10:09 AM

Follow up to this post. Thankfully, it appears that the lack of a suit wasn't an issue. Got a call this morning with an offer.

jmtd
02-27-2012, 10:20 AM
Yeah, that was my father-in-law's opinion on it as well (and he's been responsible for hiring a number of people over the years). Also, I just realized I used the wrong "where" in my original query. It's been a long day.

It's entirely possible that your get-up will contribute towards you standing out from the crowd, especially if they interviewed hundreds of people.

Follow up to this post. Thankfully, it appears that the lack of a suit wasn't an issue. Got a call this morning with an offer.

Congrats!

frankie teardrop
02-27-2012, 10:41 AM
mixed feelings about my job. love the spouts of downtime and the respectable hours, despise the bureaucracy of the place. could do better, but complacent with 7 years of time spent here.

icklekitty
02-27-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm looking for a change of pace. For several months I've been working month to month doing the easiest thing to get by and working with the most scatty corporate clients. I need a big, scary, creative project to sink my teeth into again, but I have no idea where the fuck I should be looking.

allegro
02-27-2012, 12:09 PM
I've been in law far too long (23 years) and I'm bored and completely burned out. Right now, I have a flexible job where I can do pretty much whatever I want but that makes me even more bored. After I get a few personal matters squared away, I'm going to seriously look into getting back into corporate; hopefully something COMPLETELY different than what I'm doing, now. Even if i have to TEMP for a while to get a foot in the door, whatever.

Dra508
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I've been in law far too long (23 years) and I'm bored and completely burned out. Right now, I have a flexible job where I can do pretty much whatever I want but that makes me even more bored. After I get a few personal matters squared away, I'm going to seriously look into getting back into corporate; hopefully something COMPLETELY different than what I'm doing, now. Even if i have to TEMP for a while to get a foot in the door, whatever.I know a company in Chi town that'll be looking for a contract manager sometime real soon.

I'm a sales engineer. I've been doing it far too long and am way too comfortable. I need to make more money too. I think I'm going to start looking within my company for a full sales position. add a whole lot of change to my wallet.

Dra508
02-27-2012, 08:39 PM
I've been in law far too long (23 years) and I'm bored and completely burned out. Right now, I have a flexible job where I can do pretty much whatever I want but that makes me even more bored. After I get a few personal matters squared away, I'm going to seriously look into getting back into corporate; hopefully something COMPLETELY different than what I'm doing, now. Even if i have to TEMP for a while to get a foot in the door, whatever.I know a company in Chi town that'll be looking for a contract manager sometime real soon.

I'm a sales engineer. That's someone who knows more about the product then a sales person, but gets paid less then a sales person. I've been doing it far too long and am way too comfortable. I need to make more money too. I think I'm going to start looking within my company for a full sales position. add a whole lot of change to my wallet.

allegro
02-27-2012, 09:29 PM
I know a company in Chi town that'll be looking for a contract manager sometime real soon.

I love you.

sentient02970
02-28-2012, 11:46 AM
What I love about my job:
http://youtu.be/zcVYGHUE3Oc

What I hate: I'm mostly the bearer of bad news at the worst possible time. Imagine spending a few months designing a new complex chip and have me tell you (just before it's ready for manufacturing) that it's no good and you need to do it again.

Timinator
02-29-2012, 05:08 AM
I have had jobs that most people only dream about.

I started a new job seven weeks ago for a software company. They make virtualization, project management, service desk, and other business software. It's a big multinational. I don't code things, I make sure that customers are getting the most out of the software we sell them. My title is "Customer Success Architect". Which is so lame it kicks ass. Sort of. In my mind.

allegro
02-29-2012, 08:55 PM
Look at this, what do you guys think?

http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/grad/msis/

Louie_Cypher
02-29-2012, 11:11 PM
Just got a sideways move to a new role that is totally where I want to be. Love the company and the people I work with, and with this new move I am on cloud 9. It requires a lot of study but is stuff I can put in my pocket and if I play my cards right consult with if anything should happen.

Dra508
03-01-2012, 08:24 AM

http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/grad/msis/As long as they have a good placement office. Finding a job in that area might be tough. Didn't we shed a lot of those type jobs?

However, as a women, you'd probably be a great candidate. Few and far between and the HR dept might push hard for your placement so they can report a better ratio. Oh - how cynical I am, but it's true - there are not enough women in this industry. Dam schools.

DF118
03-01-2012, 08:35 AM

http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/grad/msis/

Only take it if it has a couple of programming modules. It doesn't matter if you can't code for shit. Nobody cares unless you can claim you're "technical" (and a lot of people are a lot more genuinely technical than they think).

allegro
03-01-2012, 02:24 PM
Yeah, good point, I've read a few articles via Twitter recently that said that even if you, yourself, aren't going to code, learn to code, even if it's through Code Academy http://www.codecademy.com/#!/exercises/0

Here are the courses offered in the NU program: http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/grad/courses/?Program=MSCIS (http://www.scs.northwestern.edu/grad/courses/?Program=MSCIS)

"Object-Oriented Programming" is a Core Course, looks like it's the only one.

Edit: God, this looks boring.

Fixer808
03-09-2012, 06:42 PM
By the end of the day I wanted to smash my head against the floor until I was dead or until I had a hole deep enough to crawl into.

Tighfield11
03-31-2012, 12:35 PM
I love my job. I went where my passion is and the satisfaction of saving lives is really great.

allegro
04-03-2012, 05:30 PM
I've *completely* changed my mind about my job. *

Real Estate Law is like a fucking video game obstacle course, BUT ... I've been doing it so long, I know how to handle just about ANY obstacle in my sleep.

This is a real asset in this business, it gives me a LOT of control.

I told an ex-boss (who was my mentor, now retired) that I wanted to get out of real estate. He said, "You can't. You never will, either." Why? "Because, you're too good at it."

While I'm not sure this is a compliment or a curse, I currently have a job where I can show up whenever I want, leave whenever I want, work from home (or from a condo in Lake Tahoe, or from Detroit, or wherever) whenever I want, and make a lot per hour, and work from home in my office and be with my old blind doggie.

And my boss backs me up with everything I do, and sends me emails saying "I'm so glad you work for me."

Sure, I could be making a LOT more money, but that would mean a LOT more hours ...

Do I *WANT* to?

*edit: For now.

Dra508
04-04-2012, 07:02 AM
^^^^ Do you feel this way now that marriage is there and sort of a safety net?

It is quite wonderful to be good at something and also be appreciated for it. Was changing about money or just doing something more challenging? If more challenging, feel your spare time (har har) with that.

allegro
04-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Nah, marriage didn't change anything, I've always had financial security.

But the PRINCIPLE of not getting health insurance at this job kinda bugs me. I haven't worked without insurance benefits since I was, like, 18. Not counting the times I worked freelance, natch (at which time I bought MYSELF health insurance, since I was self-employed).

G and I have decided that I'll kinda "live with it" (this job) right now, since this schedule is kinda fitting into some other stuff we have going on in our lives at this very moment .

But, yes, I'm bored. Appreciated, yeah. But, I'm still really bored. Or, I guess, BURNED OUT. I barely want to get out of bed in the morning.

Problem, though, is will introducing "challenge" end up meaning 60 hour weeks and no vacation for over a year? I've been there, did that for most of my life, and it means one foot in the grave.

Honestly, my best girlfriend and I have been dreaming of starting our own business for a long time but we just can't figure out doing WHAT.

Dra508
04-04-2012, 04:42 PM
^^ Why don't you go to a business broker who could sell you a business rather then starting from the ground up? If anything it might give you an idea of what's out there. Or, invent silly banz.

Having health insurance really is the balls. I can't imagine not having it. Fuck, I can't imagine not having a job. I've had one since I was 16.

Fixer808
04-04-2012, 08:19 PM
I got a $15 movie theatre gift card from my boss today because I've been improving my skills and helping other teams out in the field. Also I entered 4 of my photos in a continent-wide company photo contest. Top prize is $25,000. Competition is stiff, but you never know!

Beef of the Sea
04-04-2012, 08:36 PM
There's one way to ensure you win: Murder all of your colleagues. Might even get some good photos out of it, double bonus.

Fixer808
04-04-2012, 08:45 PM
It's gonna take a while. There's 24 branches of the company in Canada alone.

sentient02970
04-12-2012, 03:31 PM
I'm finally coming around to realize I work in a department of people that just want to retire....NOW. You can imagine what the motivation level is.

halloween
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
I really really really love my boss! He's been so helpful in preparing me for work outside of college. He introduced me to the president of my school when she was visiting the gallery (which I work at) and she now wants me to hang art work from her collection, around her house. I got to ask for a real pay rate (freelance installing is GREAT!) and look at a fancy art collection, heh.
I recently applied for an artist residency too, for after graduation. I've been so excited about that, constantly thinking about and planning the installation/photo project that I want to realize there.

I've been ridiculously happy recently because of all this- I only hope I can create a life for myself by installing art professionally and finding time to make my own art too. I'm feeling so overwhelmed, knowing graduation is only a month or so away...

millionmilesaway
04-12-2012, 08:36 PM
Monday was a super crazy extra busy shit storm of a day that pretty much drained the life out of me. Well I just got a facebook message from one of the Doctors I work with pretty much telling me that I saved the day and went above and beyond the work that was required of me. It feels good to be recognized because lately I have felt like the only one who actually does work. And she also sent the same rave review to my supervisor. double win!

GavinCollins420
06-04-2013, 11:42 PM
I work pretty much permanent nightshift on a bar/restaurant/reception in a busy casino. The only place in the city that sells alcohol after 2am. You can probably imagine...

playwithfire
06-12-2013, 09:17 AM
I need the weekend to get here. I also need to get a job that isn't Starbucks at some point because I'm pretty done, but I'm going to need my insurance for a while, so that's not on the table until I handle all of that stuff.

Pillfred
06-12-2013, 04:17 PM
I need a new job/profession as cooking is starting wear me out. I like it but it's come to the point where i can't really afford to try and get in at a "good" place cause im pretty sure i make more now than i would at most of the places in town. That and i just feel like i have the gumption. Meanwhile the job i do have while it pays decent enough and is easy just really kind of sucks the life out of me. I've passed my apathetic "no fucks given" phase some time ago but at the same time it's hard to get anything done when our gm is around for about 25 hours a week. So due to his eternal absence no one really gives a fuck outside what affects them directly. I kind of like being able to self supervise but it would be nice to have at least some structure in place. Which wouldn't be so bad if the asshole could take ideas and treat them as worth while that are not his own. We've been getting a new menu now for going on over a year and still nothing, and the only changes he made was to take stuff off it. I'm guessing his nearly complete set of Shun knives that he has at home qualifies him as some sort of culinary aficionado cause he can spend far too much money on steak knives. Not to mention this dick fuck has on occasion taken to calling some the servers "cunts", yes, to their face. Lucky for my job i never witnessed it in person. Im all for yelling at a dumb server etc, but even then i know some restraint. I guess thats what i get for working at a side street money dump of a restaurant. The up side, or one of the few good things is that the assistant no longer gives two fucks and will usually pour a round of shots after work. Which was once nice but now that i have cut back on drinking doesn't do much for me. The other up side is that we can pretty much try and run whatever we come up with as a special, if the girls remember to offer it up. All in all not terrible but with any collective effort it could run a lot smoother.

tldr: I need to pay off my bills get back into school, do something other than cook and hope to enjoy the idea of eating out again someday. Sorry for the ranting nature, ive had far to too much coffee today.

ninedead
08-02-2013, 06:11 PM
after spending a majority of my working career jumping from retail, manufacturing and gas station positions, i finally grew up and got a profession. a good friend of mine is a manager at our local newspaper and i found out he was hiring an entry position (pressman apprentice) and he gave me a shot. ive been there two months now, the pay is good(better than ive ever had) but will jump considerably once i leave the apprentice program, hopefully in under a year. only downside is i work 10pm to whenever we get done, usually 6 or 7 am. no holidays or weekends off since the paper comes every day. but its an enjoyable job and with my wife taking 4 months off when our baby comes, the extra income will help, currently we are enjoying the extra money while we can. i dont know if i love my job, but im not complaining. dream job would still be a radio dj, as lame as that is.

Fixer808
08-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Might be a short one tonight, but I wouldn't mind that because THREE DAY FUCKING WEEKEND STARTS THE SECOND I PUNCH OUT.

miss k bee
08-04-2013, 05:29 AM
This week at work has felt too long, need my seven days off from tomorrow, must hibernate! As of next week I will have been working nightshift for three years.

Baphomette
09-02-2013, 12:38 AM
Working on a new project for a HORRIBLE TV show that promotes football, frat life and objectification of women. KMN.

ninedead
09-02-2013, 03:14 AM
ok so i need a little help. 3 months ago a good friend and close family friend(officiated over my sisters wedding and played a vital part in mine) was able to offer me a great job with the local paper(an ew scripps division) as an apprentice pressman. pay is a amazing and the benefits are great as well as it got me away from the hell of a job i had for the past year and a half. this was also going to be a career and not just another job like ive been going through for 16 years of employment. the downside has been that it is third shift and will ALWAYS be third shift since that is the only way to get the paper done by 2 am each day. well, its killing me and im not getting to see my wife since she works days, there is also the matter of our first child coming in 6 weeks and do i want to miss most of the day while she is awake sleeping?
a good friend has offered me a chance at another job which would be monday through friday and 3$(cant imagine!!) more an hour plus it could possibly be a career as well.
the problem being that they spent the past 3 months training me and only today am i officially on the schedule(being a union job i had to wait three months) and if i leave they go back to trying to find someone else and the 8 guys that work there go back to crazy overtime hours since a trainee is not officially on the schedule and cant be counted each night. i just dont know if i could go to my friend and tell him im leaving or should i be able to? should i just tough it out and hope that third shift eventually works for me or get out while i can before its too late?

Pillfred
09-02-2013, 10:41 AM
That's a tough one indeed. I'm kinda in a vaguely similar spot, I'm cutting my way back at my old job and taking a pay cut but my new job is a 4 min walk from home. I guess it's what's more important to you. You may end up being one of those 8 getting crazy the overtime at some point down the road. Then again something may come up down the road. Probably didn't help much but just consider what you think will be best for you and yours.

Digital Twilight
09-02-2013, 11:04 AM
ok so i need a little help. 3 months ago a good friend and close family friend(officiated over my sisters wedding and played a vital part in mine) was able to offer me a great job with the local paper(an ew scripps division) as an apprentice pressman. pay is a amazing and the benefits are great as well as it got me away from the hell of a job i had for the past year and a half. this was also going to be a career and not just another job like ive been going through for 16 years of employment. the downside has been that it is third shift and will ALWAYS be third shift since that is the only way to get the paper done by 2 am each day. well, its killing me and im not getting to see my wife since she works days, there is also the matter of our first child coming in 6 weeks and do i want to miss most of the day while she is awake sleeping?
a good friend has offered me a chance at another job which would be monday through friday and 3$(cant imagine!!) more an hour plus it could possibly be a career as well.
the problem being that they spent the past 3 months training me and only today am i officially on the schedule(being a union job i had to wait three months) and if i leave they go back to trying to find someone else and the 8 guys that work there go back to crazy overtime hours since a trainee is not officially on the schedule and cant be counted each night. i just dont know if i could go to my friend and tell him im leaving or should i be able to? should i just tough it out and hope that third shift eventually works for me or get out while i can before its too late?

Is the other job a good one? You mention a possible career but is it a good position? Life is short. I know you might have loyalties with where you are now but spend as much time with your wife and child as possible, that's the most important thing. You won't remember much of the rest on yer death bed. Its not a great situation to be in but it sounds like further down the line (unless you can change shift) that you'll end up leaving anyway.

ninedead
09-02-2013, 11:10 AM
Yea the job would be a career with mead johnson.

sentient02970
09-04-2013, 09:21 AM
I think I need to make a set of meeting Bingo cards out of this list:

top 30 most irritating jargon phrases used at work:

Going forward
Drill-down
End of play
Touch base
It's on my radar
No brainer
Best of breed
Low hanging fruit
Reach out
Dive deeper
Think outside the box
Positive momentum
On my plate
At the end of the day
Run the numbers
Touch points
Keep your eye on the ball
Back to the drawing board
Get the ball rolling
Bang for your buck
Close the deal
When the rubber hits the road
Shift paradigm
Move the needle
Game-changing
Move the goal post
Value added
Win-win
Across the piece
All hands on deck

Digital Twilight
09-04-2013, 10:23 AM
I think I need to make a set of meeting Bingo cards out of this list:

top 30 most irritating jargon phrases used at work:

Going forward

My manager used to say that all the time. Drove everyone nuts.

Pillfred
09-04-2013, 10:40 AM
I'd like to add,

I know, I know
In reference and response to any sort of issues brought up.

october_midnight
09-04-2013, 10:45 AM
I think I need to make a set of meeting Bingo cards out of this list

My team actually has a buzzword bingo card we use. Can I add:

Let me take this offline. ??

Dra508
09-04-2013, 01:27 PM
the problem being that they spent the past 3 months training me and only today am i officially on the schedule(being a union job i had to wait three months) and if i leave they go back to trying to find someone else and the 8 guys that work there go back to crazy overtime hours since a trainee is not officially on the schedule and cant be counted each night. i just dont know if i could go to my friend and tell him im leaving or should i be able to? should i just tough it out and hope that third shift eventually works for me or get out while i can before its too late?When it comes to your career, you are the only one that matters. You can't stay at a job just so you don't upset other folks. Here's the thing, the union and the company put you on a 3 month trial that frankly should be a two way street. They can cut you after that period and you know what, you can cut them.

I say take the other position so you can be there for your family. It's true, on your death bed, no one cares where you worked.

Dra508
09-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Corporate jargon bingo: all already said plus:

Synergy - euphemism for someone is going to be out a job.
Up the value chain
Leverage and extend
Customer experience
Evolution
Virtualize
Basically
Help me understand - anyone who says this I want to punch in the neck. You just were not paying attention
On conference calls: "sorry I was on mute" - translation: really I don't give a crap about this call and wasn't paying attention.

I'll think of some more.

Pillfred
09-05-2013, 12:09 AM
After starting my new job I'm not sure I can stay at my old one. They have better food but I'm so tired of the constant bitching. It's valid and I agree I'm just over it.

JessicaSarahS
09-05-2013, 01:31 AM
I love what I do at my current job, but the work environment is horrible and it's time for me to move on. I have my third and final interview at Twitter tomorrow and I am super excited about it,
but I feel like this at the moment. I really hope I don't feel like it during:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_jBe0WvxWaEk/TMYq7dL7JfI/AAAAAAAACMU/HjzcTENQvYY/s1600/GaggingSweetDee.gif

:(

Pillfred
09-05-2013, 01:45 AM
In it to win it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PtvLTZS4Ik&feature=youtube_gdata_player

virushopper
09-05-2013, 01:51 AM
I like the company of people I work with but I'm also mentally suffocating from corporate America.

Dra508
09-05-2013, 05:13 PM
http://cdn.smartbrief.com/images/stories/Sales%20cartoon%209-5-13.jpg

halloween
09-05-2013, 07:43 PM
I started a new job!! I'm working with kids in an after school program that runs clubs and activities. The comic above me reminds me of how this program, that has been around for 9 years, is being "rebuilt" as my boss puts it. For various reasons last year was terrible and he had to fire a lot of people and now I'm part of a new team that is responsible for thinking of new ways to run this after school program. It's been crazy thinking about it since this is the first time I have ever ever ever worked with kids- from k to 6 and soon 7th and 8th graders. Learning how to work with kids AND create a brand spankin' new structure, schedule, and curriculum is crazy! I'll be doing art specifically and that's proved to be difficult with this age range and just for my own creativity for "what can I make them do with these supplies!?" It's not exactly stressful but it's definitely challenging in a really exciting way. I feel like I'm learning what works and what doesn't and that my opinions are actually heard and respected. It's a really small team which is going to get expanded soon, but I really enjoy working like this. Going from a federal (FEMA Corps) job to a small town community job is funny to think about but has helped me realize that this is the level of involvement I enjoy the best. I quit FEMA Corps because I didn't like just being told what to do and now here I am being ASKED what to do!
It's been a week and a half, I feel like I've learned so much so fast about working with these kids and about my self. I also have been working the morning, before school, program which I honestly enjoy a lot. Kids at 7 am are such a different experience than kids at 3 pm! So far I'm loving these hours only because I live 2 minutes away from the school so having four hours in between "shifts" at home is great. I take a nap, make a nice lunch, read, and still have time to watch an episode of something.

At one point I thought "I can't believe that making art and playing games is my JOB!" but I stopped short and realized my job is deeper than that, it's about helping kids with whatever developmental stage they are at, helping their social skills, and being there for those with certain needs (like the kid with cerebral palsy, the kid with tourettes, and that kid that we know gets abused at home...) It's interesting seeing my brain processing all this new stuff for example over last weekend when it was thundering during the night, I had dreams where I was consoling kids who were afraid of the thunder! Already this week though I'm learning how to "leave work at work" as I've stopped stressing out over "WHAT DO I DO!!" and realize that every day is new but the kids are the same.

P.S. Having kids give me their drawings is SUCH A COOL FEELING!

JessicaSarahS
09-12-2013, 09:38 PM
I got the job! :D

Pillfred
09-13-2013, 08:57 AM
I got the job! :D

Woot! Congrats.

I'm going to cut way back on my hours at my old job, I can't believe a thing my boss tells me... Our salamander (over head heater, think big toaster oven) has been busted for three days now. He said he called they just never showed up yet. Which is bulls hit, every time in the last 7 years I've made a call or had a manager worth a fuck do it they've at least been out the same day.

Same shit with our pasta shocker, only that took three fucking weeks, no biggie were only a pasta joint. Other cook finally calls and boom they show up the same day, said they never got a call.
It's fine if you forgot, kinda, just don't lie about it, you're the boss.

When other cook decides to suck at life I can deal with it, maybe a bit more work and catching up but when the boss won't fix shit or be expected to do what needs to be done there is nothing I can do to get around it.

Oh well this is my last full week. I must say however I took great enjoyment out of letting him cook for one of the owners and royally fuck up his pizza...

fizz7283
09-17-2013, 04:01 AM
I really like my job, I enjoy what I do. It's challenging and requires me to learn something new practically every day. I just can't stand the people I work with or for. They lack integrity. They're shady as fuck. The managers let the other shifts get away with murder, they come in hours late and leave early while still logging their full 8 hours because they cover for each other, they constantly make mistakes that make our whole operations desk look like a bunch of idiots because if it happens on first shift, it usually falls back on second shift while me and my coworkers are there... And we have no clue what the fuck has gone on by then because our battle hand offs are shit!

Sometimes I think the other two shifts have something on the managers. They get away with far too much illegal and immoral crap that myself and my shift partners have pointed out to both our supervisor and manager and nothing is ever done about it. Not just immoral stuff though, but things involving safety as well, they are literally putting people's lives in danger and all our supervisor says when we tell him the mistakes they consistently make is, "oh well.. What can I really do about it?"

It's very frustrating when you truly enjoy the job you do, but can't stand the management or your coworkers. Makes it hard to go to work day after day =/

Christo
09-17-2013, 08:55 AM
"We have a job for you. But firstly, do you mind getting covered in blood and guts?"

Enjoyable commission email yesterday

frankie teardrop
09-18-2013, 02:44 PM
i could use some legitimate, non-internet sourced advice on changing careers. i've been at my job as an av technician for 8+ years now... the responsibilities are growing and my skill set has increased considerably, but the pay hasn't changed and the stress has my blood boiling through the roof. i applied to (and received a terrible offer from) another bank in need of AV, and turned it down because it was a lesser move. i feel i may have peaked out, that maybe there aren't any better jobs in this field, so i'm considering a career change, with or without the option of going back to school. i'm not terribly sure i can afford it (but we can make it work i'm sure), but i feel trapped and some days, get manic about being here.

my wife is advising me to find a new job in the short term, then take steps for the big change, but i feel like a better use of my time would be to plan for the bigger change right away, instead of wasting time applying for a new job. she says it will take the stress off, but even a change of scenery won't make a difference if i'm deeply unhappy with the work i do. the last thing i want to do is go from a horrible, soul sucking, put-my-head-in-the-oven job to one that pays more or less the same, with potentially worse hours, potentially just as stressful/crappy conditions.

in short, i'm looking for the fine line between more money and doing something i enjoy. both are of equal importance, though i know that's a difficult balance to find. but the way i see it- if i'm going to do something i dislike, i'd like to be compensated adequately for it... so perhaps something that commands a higher paycheck is a priority if i had to fall on one side of that fence.

so with that in mind, can anyone point me in the right direction or offer any tidbits that might help?

JessicaSarahS
09-18-2013, 11:13 PM
so with that in mind, can anyone point me in the right direction or offer any tidbits that might help?

That's really difficult and depends on what you want to do. What field would you like to work in?

frankie teardrop
09-19-2013, 12:27 AM
i'm considering teaching and since writing this post, have begun the application process to the NYC teaching fellows program.

Digital Twilight
09-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Job hunting is such an awful activity. I've never had this much free time before and its starting to drive me nuts.

halloween
09-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Ok, now I'm realizing that kids give me their drawing has become a cheap way of saying " I don't want this." Yet, I'm still keeping them for some reason... Today I also had an epiphany! I was looking at books about after school programs and working with kids in general thinking it could help me somehow but I realized that the most challenging part of this job isn't going to be solved through reading but rather purely through experience and knowing the kids. It's kind of a rough thought because I've always had this idea that the more I read about any topic the more I can learn. At the same time it's a relief because I've become familiar with these kids and know that only continued involvement in their lives is what's going to teach me the most and that I'm not "missing" something by not reading a book. Several of my coworkers have worked with kids (some for several years) and even they are having a hard time so I'm seeing that the community these kids come from is playing a huge roll in their behaviours and it's not purely because of my personal inexperience.

I just can't believe it's friday.

Halo Infinity
09-20-2013, 06:22 PM
This thought just occurred to me out of sheer curiosity after seeing how some libraries, schools, including colleges block certain sites, or even the entire Internet from their computers. Does your workplace by any chance block ETS? (Assuming that you work on a computer. I'm just saying, since not all jobs are like that.)

Pillfred
09-20-2013, 08:25 PM
Not mine, I could jack all day if I were so inclined.

Also, boss man put up an add for a km, previous management experience preferred, not required... This dude is truly stupefying.

miss k bee
09-21-2013, 10:15 AM
I go on ETS at work but cannot post, I used to be able to. Some people go on YouTube and watch iPlayer and everything. Previous job I had most websites were blocked but not on this job.

Digital Twilight
09-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Great, I have an interview on tues and i'm getting a cold

Halo Infinity
09-23-2013, 06:57 PM
Does this thread also include job hunting and job interviews and advice concerning those two topics? I'm not sure if there's a thread on those topics, but if not, I don't see why they shouldn't be discussed here. What are the hardest questions for you when it comes to a job interview?

These three seemed to be the most difficult ones I've seen and heard of.

1. Why should we hire you?

2. What are your weaknesses?

3. Where do you see yourself in X amount of years from now?

richardp
09-23-2013, 07:48 PM
Finally just left being a manager at fucking Noodles & Co, one of the shittiest experiences of my life to be a theater manager at the Alamo Drafthouse. I start on wednesday and am beyond excited. It's going to feel great to wake up in the morning and go to work and do something that I actually care about for a company that I've thought was really cool for years.

frankie teardrop
09-24-2013, 12:14 PM
3. Where do you see yourself in X amount of years from now?

i hate this question. they're basically asking if you're in it for the long hall, but if it's a menial job, it's kind of depressing to admit that you still want to be at that kind of job in five years time... ideally we'd all like to climb the ladder, but when you get asked this question for a temporary or sub-par job, it's pretty meaningless (as are most interview cliches).

i've always wanted to answer it with "in a mirror" but i've never had the balls.

miss k bee
09-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Finding my job incredibly dry and boring this days. Only been with this company just over a year so don't want to jump ship too fast but man sometimes just bored shitless! Grr

Digital Twilight
09-24-2013, 02:56 PM
I went for an interview today, great opportunity. It went well but I had to do a surprise numerical test (which is always fun). Fingers crossed.

Fixer808
09-24-2013, 06:55 PM
Ugh, been off for 5 days. Next cheque is going to be a shit one. Working tomorrow, at least.

ibanez33
09-24-2013, 08:21 PM
The only way to answer this question:

"honesty"

"I don't think honesty is a weakness"

"I don't give a fuck what you think"

aurelius
09-26-2013, 11:05 PM
Be sure you actually specify a weakness AND how you work to correct that issue. Don't act as if you're awesome at everything. They want you to be honest and proactive.

I have an interview with the county tomorrow. I'd kick such ass at this job. It's an awesome fit and a great opportunity for an actual, stable career with room for growth. So nervous, but SO excited. I'm currently in the highest ranking group. I hope I remain so tomorrow!

Pillfred
09-26-2013, 11:21 PM
The only way to answer this question:

I'm going to have to start using that if I ever join the real world again.

Halo Infinity
09-27-2013, 10:34 PM
Do people actually go crazy from a quiet workplace? I find that silence at a workplace would actually alleviate my stress and help me focus.

Ryan
09-27-2013, 10:49 PM
I blast NIN on my speakers from a USB and no one minds. I find it's too much like a morgue otherwise.

I especially love being on the phone while "HEY MOTHER FUCKING PIG" is playing in the background... although I turn it down when I'm on the phone, lol

Halo Infinity
09-27-2013, 10:50 PM
I'd love to be able to get away with that though, I'll admit. :D

Ryan
09-27-2013, 10:51 PM
I'm kinda situated in an area where telesales are behind me and I have my own little area where it doesn't disturb anyone. It works for me!

Halo Infinity
09-30-2013, 02:39 PM
I just thought I'd ask a quick question on long hair and men in the workplace. And to just let everybody know, I really would cut it all off if I had no choice. I'm not going to starve and end up homeless for long hair, even though I like to grow it out. (I just thought I'd get that out there, because people have thought I'd do that for long hair.) And well, don't get me wrong, I like having long hair, but I wouldn't deprive myself of food, clothing, and shelter just to have long hair.

So, I was just wondering, as I've actually liked almost every single hairstyle Trent had. I could see how his hair was from say, The Fragile era and later on in the Pretty Hate Machine era can be acceptable in most cases, but would having a hairstyle like the one he did on The Downward Spiral era be pushing it? And to be more specific, I'm talking about a position where you'd have to work in a corporate office in most cases. I could obviously see his long undercut from the Pretty Hate Machine and his flat-out long hair from The Perfect Drug eras would more than likely be complete no-nos, but I have seen offices that allowed long hair, but of course, I shouldn't expect all, or most of them to be that lenient and accepting.

So yes, as far as the "shortest" styles of longish hair go, would this be pushing it in most office settings for males? (Even if neatly combed or put into a small ponytail?)

-And yeah... I'm one of those fans that also loves his hair.-

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lp7ym5tchj1qbqb1do1_500.jpg

I could see the following hairstyles being accepted in most case scenarios regarding a corporate office though.

http://cdn.buzznet.com/assets/users16/ladyirena/default/msg-125426531628.jpghttp://www.conradaskland.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/trent-reznor.jpg

And well, sorry if the images are too big, but they didn't seem to be that big. Anyway, I'm just curious as to what it's like for those of you that work in office settings.

mfte
09-30-2013, 02:50 PM
I work in an office on the top floor. All the mechanical ventilation sh** is on the roof above me so when Im at work it constantly sounds like I am up in an aeroplane.

thefragile_jake
09-30-2013, 03:52 PM
I can't stand my job. I've been here since May. I'm a marketing director for a real estate company...but they haven't had marketing since 2009 so my boss is a little behind on the current marketing trends and most of the time I feel like I never have proper guidance.

I have anxiety and this job has been making me stressed, depressed and even more anxious than I've been in quite some time. I've been interviewing for other positions and really want to just quit....but I wonder if I should do that right now? I have a good amount of money to support myself for about a month and half's worth so I'm wondering if I should just sever my ties here and give myself 100% to finding a new position. I can barely make time for interviews now without having to miss some of work since I'm at my office 9-5.

Demogorgon
09-30-2013, 04:46 PM
i work in retail, and my company is failing, and considering i have no other real skills other than retail as far as on the job training goes, i'm kind of screwed when the whole thing topples over, because my only real options are... other failing retail companies. they gutted the management team a few days ago as a "test", an attempt to cut costs without cutting non-management employees. it's just amazing how badly the corporate machine is failing here in America.

Pillfred
09-30-2013, 11:02 PM
I tried substituting irrational hatred, but I can't take it. Today I walked after fuck face tried to justify his pure laziness. Even though I feel like a raging asshole in some aspects, the assistant said she'd cover for me, to some degree. Maybe it's cause I got creamed when I started out in the kitchen by old timers, but fuck some shit is just basic....

allegro
09-30-2013, 11:10 PM
I can't stand my job. I've been here since May. I'm a marketing director for a real estate company...but they haven't had marketing since 2009 so my boss is a little behind on the current marketing trends and most of the time I feel like I never have proper guidance.

I have anxiety and this job has been making me stressed, depressed and even more anxious than I've been in quite some time. I've been interviewing for other positions and really want to just quit....but I wonder if I should do that right now? I have a good amount of money to support myself for about a month and half's worth so I'm wondering if I should just sever my ties here and give myself 100% to finding a new position. I can barely make time for interviews now without having to miss some of work since I'm at my office 9-5.
Do you need them as a reference? Will they be S.O.L. if you leave without giving 2 weeks notice (this can come back to haunt you)? If no, leave.
Kris : I think you already know the answer to your questions: Most of TR's former hair styles are good for rock stars and the unemployed and Starbucks employees. Not corporate.

(And NEVER in the law environment, egad.)

Charmingly Miserable
09-30-2013, 11:16 PM
I work in special education in an elementary classroom. I like my students, and while I'm very good at my job, I hate it. I'm getting my BA in business administration. I would love to have an office job but no one will look at my resume because it has special education written all over it. I find it very difficult to switch careers now, even at my age of 32.

thefragile_jake
09-30-2013, 11:17 PM
Do you need them as a reference? Will they be S.O.L. if you leave without giving 2 weeks notice (this can come back to haunt you)? If no, leave.

It's hard to say if I need them as a reference, this is my first technically "real job" after college and while I was lucky enough to find something in my field basically right out of school...I think because there was a period of not finding anything, I jumped on the chance to work here and now I'm feeling the effects of a business that doesn't understand the ideas of marketing structure....I'm not saying I need my hand held the hold time, but I get very frustrated at the lack of guidance here. I guess technically I do sort of need them as a reference in the fact that my position as "marketing director" looks attractive in future interviews.

There are some projects we've been working on...but again, they seem very spur of the moment..."HEY JAKE, DO THIS NOW" kind of things...which isn't bad but I just wish we had more of a marketing plan besides "OH SHIT, THIS ISN'T WORKING. DO STUFF ON THE INTERNET AND DO IT NOW!". These projects we're working on might put them in a SOL position...and I know how that can haunt me in my career later on. I just know that I never feel comfortable at work really and every day I leave exhausted from the amount of personal and professional stress I get from working there.

I'm really considering leaving soon...thanks for the input allegro! :)

Pillfred
09-30-2013, 11:33 PM
Look for work, something better comes up give notice and move on. You get what you can from a job, as they do from you. When it doesn't work it's best to move on.

(yes, I'm considering taking my own advice)

Halo Infinity
10-01-2013, 12:43 AM
@Kris (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/member.php?u=244) : I think you already know the answer to your questions: Most of TR's former hair styles are good for rock stars and the unemployed and Starbucks employees. Not corporate.

(And NEVER in the law environment, egad.)
That's true, but I wanted to see if there was the off-chance of getting a response from somebody that actually got away with it. I actually saw somebody work at an office with hair that was like Marilyn Manson's hair back in 1995-1996, but cases like that are obviously one in a million. And yes, I've figured that even his donning TDS era hair would be pushing it too. (I only wondered about that since it seemed to be the shortest and most controlled out of his longer hairstyles, but I also think his hair in 1991 and 1999 have to be able to pass for it. That is unless it doesn't allow for even the ears to be covered even if for just a little bit, depending on how the dress code policies actually are.)

And to add more to this, I've actually seen people get away with dreadlocks too, but of course, such appearances were extremely scarce in that environment too.

Dra508
10-01-2013, 09:51 AM
It's hard to say if I need them as a reference, this is my first technically "real job" after college and while I was lucky enough to find something in my field basically right out of school...I think because there was a period of not finding anything, I jumped on the chance to work here and now I'm feeling the effects of a business that doesn't understand the ideas of marketing structure....I'm not saying I need my hand held the hold time, but I get very frustrated at the lack of guidance here. I guess technically I do sort of need them as a reference in the fact that my position as "marketing director" looks attractive in future interviews.

There are some projects we've been working on...but again, they seem very spur of the moment..."HEY JAKE, DO THIS NOW" kind of things...which isn't bad but I just wish we had more of a marketing plan besides "OH SHIT, THIS ISN'T WORKING. DO STUFF ON THE INTERNET AND DO IT NOW!". These projects we're working on might put them in a SOL position...and I know how that can haunt me in my career later on. I just know that I never feel comfortable at work really and every day I leave exhausted from the amount of personal and professional stress I get from working there.

I'm really considering leaving soon...thanks for the input allegro! :)I think you need the reference regardless of how discombobulated your current work is. On your resume and in interviews you can really re-translate so much of what you do. You're in Marketing - figure it out. No guidance? You're a self starter, able to work independently. You're the only one? You are the CMO! And on and on. I've never done this, but maybe you tell them that it's not going to work out and maybe help find a replacement, part time it, and look for a job. Everyone wins? Someone else might comment on whether that's realistic, but it sounds like an excellent exit plan to me!

I just got a new manager. It's a bit odd, but it's the first time manager who was my peer before and frankly I have years of experience on him. He's just an eager beaver. I'm a bit twisted that it wasn't suggested that I apply for the job, or that I didn't even throw my hat in the ring even though I currently have no desire to go back in to management (I did a while back and while great experience - I felt like they all wanted to be mother'd and my maternal instinct is limited). Anywho - I say twisted in that I've been buzzing along in the same position for so long, they say you should actually move around a bit. I'm turning into a old bell shaped head (reference to old telephone pensioning pulling worker for you young folk) and I'm afraid I'll be put on the dinosaur-can't-be-taught-new-things-list-let's-lay-her-off. Ugggh.

allegro
10-01-2013, 10:23 AM

I had two jobs just like this when I was around your age, management-level Marketing and Advertising positions; you DO need this job, you need the experience, you need to convince them what they need, you need to do research, you need to put together presentations and reports to back up your strategies, you need to do marketing research to show whether or not what THEY want is working, you need to be assertive and stand behind your opinion, that's your job, that's why they hired you as Marketing Director. It shouldn't be just a title, it should be a description of your job. This is one of the hardest things to do when you're young and becoming a Real Live Adult and given a position like this: doing your job without needing direction. You have to fly solo. Yes, it's scary. But, unless you want the "assistant" title forever, now is a good time to start making your job title valid.

I'll let you in on a little secret: No company understands the idea of marketing structure. It's your job to help them understand. And, unfortunately, you're going to be surrounded by clueless management and sales people who think up "great" ideas that are total turds and it's gonna be your job to test it, track it, and show how it's not working, or provide data to show why it won't work. Stamping out fires and "emergency" marketing to "respond to market fluctuation" (read: we need to suddenly generate profit) is gonna be a part of your job forever. Don't they teach you this in school? Didn't think so. Unfortunate, because that's the primary function of Marketing. It's a Bottle-Of-Tums job. It can be a lot of fun, and it can be really fucking miserable. But, yes, it's a good idea to put together a Marketing Plan and have some meetings to suggest it and it may take a YEAR for you and management to come up with The Annual Plan but REMEMBER: NO plan will ever be set in cement. Sure, that would make your job a fuckload easier, but it never works out that way. Because business is dynamic, and marketing has to respond very quickly.

Hang in there! If you need help or a pep talk, PM me! :-)

Dra508
10-01-2013, 08:26 PM
I love all of allegro's post except for the snipe on Sales - f u - Marketing people are all vapor, Sales people get the results. :p

thefragile_jake
10-02-2013, 01:10 AM
I think you need the reference regardless of how discombobulated your current work is. On your resume and in interviews you can really re-translate so much of what you do. You're in Marketing - figure it out. No guidance? You're a self starter, able to work independently. You're the only one? You are the CMO! And on and on. I've never done this, but maybe you tell them that it's not going to work out and maybe help find a replacement, part time it, and look for a job. Everyone wins? Someone else might comment on whether that's realistic, but it sounds like an excellent exit plan to me!

I had two jobs just like this when I was around your age, management-level Marketing and Advertising positions; you DO need this job, you need the experience, you need to convince them what they need, you need to do research, you need to put together presentations and reports to back up your strategies, you need to do marketing research to show whether or not what THEY want is working, you need to be assertive and stand behind your opinion, that's your job, that's why they hired you as Marketing Director. It shouldn't be just a title, it should be a description of your job. This is one of the hardest things to do when you're young and becoming a Real Live Adult and given a position like this: doing your job without needing direction. You have to fly solo. Yes, it's scary. But, unless you want the "assistant" title forever, now is a good time to start making your job title valid.

I'll let you in on a little secret: No company understands the idea of marketing structure. It's your job to help them understand. And, unfortunately, you're going to be surrounded by clueless management and sales people who think up "great" ideas that are total turds and it's gonna be your job to test it, track it, and show how it's not working, or provide data to show why it won't work. Stamping out fires and "emergency" marketing to "respond to market fluctuation" (read: we need to suddenly generate profit) is gonna be a part of your job forever. Don't they teach you this in school? Didn't think so. Unfortunate, because that's the primary function of Marketing. It's a Bottle-Of-Tums job. It can be a lot of fun, and it can be really fucking miserable. But, yes, it's a good idea to put together a Marketing Plan and have some meetings to suggest it and it may take a YEAR for you and management to come up with The Annual Plan but REMEMBER: NO plan will ever be set in cement. Sure, that would make your job a fuckload easier, but it never works out that way. Because business is dynamic, and marketing has to respond very quickly.

Hang in there! If you need help or a pep talk, PM me! :-)

I just got back from the Nine Inch Nails concert in St. Louis a little bit ago...and words can't explain how much this means to me what you guys said. :) I'll take it to heart guys. Thanks a million.
allegro, I might take ya up on that offer. :D

allegro
10-02-2013, 07:34 AM
I love all of allegro's post except for the snipe on Sales - f u - Marketing people are all vapor, Sales people get the results. :p
Ha spoken like a true sales person :-)

Dra508
10-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Ha spoken like a true sales person :-)

Represent- *pounds chest twice and chucks a deuce.

sentient02970
10-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Yeah but it's the engineers who manage to squeak out the products/services that sales promised as miracles out of thin air. Oh and it always needs to beat that "you promised" schedule. ;)

Dra508
10-02-2013, 03:49 PM
Yeah but it's the engineers who manage to squeak out the products/services that sales promised as miracles out of thin air. Oh and it always needs to beat that "you promised" schedule. ;)That's only because those Product Managers write these road maps that promise everything including that it will make coffee some time in Q32014. I work with what I'm given - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. ;)

Pillfred
10-03-2013, 11:25 PM
After much thought I give them this weekend. Fuck.

Timinator
10-04-2013, 12:02 AM
Represent- *pounds chest twice and chucks a deuce.
You know the difference between sales and marketing, right? Sales can only lie to one person at a time.

Dra508
10-04-2013, 10:36 AM
You know the difference between sales and marketing, right? Sales can only lie to one person at a time.Engineer. Whatever. :rolleyes:

theimage13
10-04-2013, 11:53 AM
I'm getting close to throwing in the towel on my job.

I mean...it's a great job. You meet some great people from all over the world, get paid to travel extensively, and more or less get treated like a rock star while you're working.

However...you have no idea when or for how long you'll work in a given year, so forget budgeting. You have no idea whether you'll be working with great people or a bunch of unprofessional people with the worst tempers you've ever encountered. Sick day? What's that? If you've got the flu, you carry a bucket with you while you work, and go back to bed (for four hours) in a 70 MPH, 400 square foot apartment with 11 roommates and no real toilet. And forget a home life...I'm pushing 30, and the closest thing I've ever had to an actual relationship was a long distance one, so I still don't know what it feels like to come home at the end of the day and spend the night with a partner. Ending a date with "yeah, I'd love to see you again - how does two months from now sound?" doesn't win anyone's affection, and I don't blame them.

And yet, I'm still not convinced I'm ready to give it up. Argh. Why can't I be attracted to normal person jobs?

Pillfred
10-04-2013, 06:53 PM
So I quit shit job today, got another 20 minutes after I got done at my good job. I win.

allegro
10-04-2013, 09:41 PM
So I quit shit job today, got another 20 minutes after I got done at my good job. I win.
Wow, that is AWESOME!!

aurelius
10-11-2013, 10:53 PM
Fuck yeah! I got a new job! I'll be going somewhere with a far better benefits package (although I'll start with a bit less pay), someplace that actually encourages and nurtures growth. It's a place where I can honestly have a career. I'm so damn excited.

In two weeks I'll finally be out of the cesspool that is my current company. They treat their employees like shit, they make the most nonsensical business decisions, and they've somehow managing to get worse and worse year after year. They are freaking the fuck out behind the scenes because there's so much I do that no one else ever bothered to learn. It's going to bite them in the ass, and it could have honest-to-god serious consequences--fines and citations are a very real possibility. I sincerely hope they fuck themselves because they truly deserve it.

Pillfred
10-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Awesome!

I'm in a similar boat atm. May get a supervisor position at my new job, that and the chef said he's going to be leaving in a year or less and if taking over is something I may be interested in. (very tentative, we're not even open yet)

Maybe we're encountering some kind of karmic payback for having to suffer under fools.

millionmilesaway
10-12-2013, 10:27 PM
work has been super stressful and busy lately, here's a list off things that are pissing me off:

one tech fired, one on a "mental health break" for the foreseeable future, another really good tech moved away; all three were full time leaving us very understaffed.

A new doctor was hired, now we have 3 doctors on during evenings instead of two. We don't have enough rooms to load appts in a timely manner which pisses off clients that have to wait, especially when we get over booked with walk-ins.

getting in trouble for overtime when I am stuck at work over an hour past close every night (there is no way I am getting out at 8 when there are 5 appointments at 7:45 and only 3 doctors)

hours extended on Sunday from 8-2PM with two doctors seeing appointments, used to be only one. Of course we have to be the only vet open on Sunday (so we can steal clients from all the ones that are closed)

new computer server that forces us to go through a very slow log in process every time a computer is needed

its time for yearly staff surveys!

clients yelling at me for stupid things (what part of "you will not get back anything you drop off with your pet because it will be radioactive" do you not understand??) sorry I had to throw away your expensive Harrods bag because it got radiation on it. I warned you, there was a release form signed, not my fault. next time use a zip lock bag like everybody else

un-neutered cats on rabies quarantine stinking up the hospital, here's to six months of extra foul cat piss!

clients refusing to euthanize obviously suffering pets

high maintenance bunnies and their crazy owners

high maintenance bunnies dying and crazy owners sending death threats to the doctors. not cool.

Baphomette
10-14-2013, 04:22 PM
The company I do work for may be picking up a contract with Fox. And two of the shows we would then be doing merchandising for are Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Arrested Development. OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!

klang
10-14-2013, 05:00 PM
That's fucking awesome! Hope you guys get it.
I just got a part time gig doing regular minimal wage stuff at a movie theater. But hey, free tickets?.... Honestly just need something right now to stay on my feet before hunting for something a bit better. Here's to hoping it's not terrible!

Dra508
10-14-2013, 07:14 PM
work has been super stressful and busy lately, here's a list off things that are pissing me off:

one tech fired, one on a "mental health break" for the foreseeable future, another really good tech moved away; all three were full time leaving us very understaffed.

A new doctor was hired, now we have 3 doctors on during evenings instead of two. We don't have enough rooms to load appts in a timely manner which pisses off clients that have to wait, especially when we get over booked with walk-ins.

getting in trouble for overtime when I am stuck at work over an hour past close every night (there is no way I am getting out at 8 when there are 5 appointments at 7:45 and only 3 doctors)

hours extended on Sunday from 8-2PM with two doctors seeing appointments, used to be only one. Of course we have to be the only vet open on Sunday (so we can steal clients from all the ones that are closed)

new computer server that forces us to go through a very slow log in process every time a computer is needed

its time for yearly staff surveys!

clients yelling at me for stupid things (what part of "you will not get back anything you drop off with your pet because it will be radioactive" do you not understand??) sorry I had to throw away your expensive Harrods bag because it got radiation on it. I warned you, there was a release form signed, not my fault. next time use a zip lock bag like everybody else

un-neutered cats on rabies quarantine stinking up the hospital, here's to six months of extra foul cat piss!

clients refusing to euthanize obviously suffering pets

high maintenance bunnies and their crazy owners

high maintenance bunnies dying and crazy owners sending death threats to the doctors. not cool.

You do God's work. I don't think I could manage to be consistently polite to clients. One being completely obsessed with their 'child' and the next barely feeding it.

My company announced massive layoffs which they have done many times in the last ten years. It's the first time I actually think I could be on the list. Business is just slow enough, I don't have a sponsor anymore, I work virtual, away from the corporate centers. I can see someone could say "she's dispensable". I'm quite zen like about it all. A couple of years ago, I'd be ball of silent anxiety.

aurelius
10-15-2013, 03:54 PM
Maybe we're encountering some kind of karmic payback for having to suffer under fools.
I like that. Let's hope!
I was offered a raise of three dollars an hour to stay. I said no. It was incredibly satisfying. They are scrambling.

Pillfred
10-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Giant ball of nerves right now, opening night at the new place, I double all weekend as well. Fuuuuuck... ;)

Dra508
10-17-2013, 05:36 PM
Giant ball of nerves right now, opening night at the new place, I double all weekend as well. Fuuuuuck... ;)Yooooou caaaaannnnn doooooo thiisssssssssssss

Pillfred
10-17-2013, 11:14 PM
Went really well actually, I personally only dorked two things. Should be pretty cake. Now I just need to prepare for 5am...

Pillfred
11-10-2013, 03:31 PM
So both jobs are kicking my nuts. I don't know what to do . Was gonna quite my bar job cause I'm moving and can't swing the early start time so I put in a notice, and chef dude really wants me to stay. New taco job I pretty much own as we'll and I think chef there wants me to be a supervisor or something cause he keeps asking if I'm gonna quit the other one.

Thing is I kinda like the grind I'm on as it keeps me busy and burnt enough without being at either one too much to get nit picky about anything. It's nice yo be recognized at both places but I think I'm too jaded to put all my apples I one basket anymore. Bar job is super laid back and chill loud music tv in back could do whatevr specials I want if I bothered too. Taco place is super strict etc. I appreciate both takes for their respective traits.

Thing is I'm generally horribly irresponsible and dont really think I want the responsibility at the new place as I can see myself getting shit canned without a second thought, which I also get . Tuesday bar job is gonna talk to me to keep me around etc. I was gonna swing into taco tomorrow Ifbthey are open and talk to dude to see what he has in mind. Thing is ill loose out on money if I quit either. The biggest thing is the stupid hours I work, I like it keeps men occupied. Also I want to get back in school in the fall as well.

After all these years in the sidelines I'm getting shit thrown at me all over, I guess its the hard work thing. Kinda like the attention from ladies lately I'm not sure what to do. I think I'm just gonna keep them both and kick ass at each when I there and grind it out till next fall. Unless taco offers me a bunch of money I guess.

Space Suicide
11-10-2013, 03:42 PM
So the new part time job I have, I'm expected to cash in, cash out, figure out the daily sales and deposit the money to the bank afterwards every night at 9:00 from the register. Needless to say my first night was a disaster because I wasn't properly trained and I did everything on the fly with a help of a semi-knowledgeable co-worker, who was also not trained but had cash register jobs in the past, whom was nice to stay all day with me for no pay. I'm going to have to do this again and again and eventually go solo on it and it honestly has me scared for mess ups because I'm math stupid and never had a register job before. God, I wish I could just get a job in my field already so I can put this degree to good use.

halloween
11-10-2013, 05:47 PM
So the new part time job I have, I'm expected to cash in, cash out, figure out the daily sales and deposit the money to the bank afterwards every night at 9:00 from the register. Needless to say my first night was a disaster because I wasn't properly trained and I did everything on the fly with a help of a semi-knowledgeable co-worker, who was also not trained but had cash register jobs in the past, whom was nice to stay all day with me for no pay. I'm going to have to do this again and again and eventually go solo on it and it honestly has me scared for mess ups because I'm math stupid and never had a register job before. God, I wish I could just get a job in my field already so I can put this degree to good use.

What is your field/degree?
I have also never had a register job before and I think that eventually I should. I've been thrown into the deep end currently with this job as an after school arts club leader as I have no training with kids, only with art! People ask me if I want to be a teacher or continue working with kids but with only a couple months into the job I can honestly say I have no idea yet either way.

Space Suicide
11-10-2013, 06:13 PM
What is your field/degree?
I have also never had a register job before and I think that eventually I should. I've been thrown into the deep end currently with this job as an after school arts club leader as I have no training with kids, only with art! People ask me if I want to be a teacher or continue working with kids but with only a couple months into the job I can honestly say I have no idea yet either way.

Graphic Design, associate's degree. Graduated this May.

Charmingly Miserable
11-13-2013, 11:21 PM
So, my high profile student returned to school after a two week hiatus. Let the biting, kicking, scratching, spitting, hair pulling, hitting return. Oh, and my back is killing me from being with this student.

Pillfred
11-24-2013, 12:10 AM
So I better hold my tongue with big man. It's looking like by possibly as soon as February I may have the KM spot at taco. I'm not getting too excited about it but this could be a good thing.

packetslave
11-24-2013, 12:21 AM
I dig my job. I help make sure all those cat videos (and NIN videos!) get from our computers across the Intertubes to your computers.

nothing8
12-02-2013, 04:55 AM
Work has me real pissed/stressed at the moment. Incompetent people working together, combined with the fact that the company has decided to divide our office into 'teams' has resulted in me getting fucked around whilst being my usual self and offering to help the busier people in the office when I'm considerably quiet work wise. The fact that people will literally go out of their way to ensure I don't receive documents, completely fuck up the registration and data entry of all my jobs and a whole lot more make me want to just not turn up at all.

halloween
12-10-2013, 05:01 PM
Oh boy....today I had an individual meeting with my boss. It was all great and stuff until he asked me to try to think of where I want to challenge myself in, what I see for myself in the future. He gave the example of one of my co-workers who wants a degree in business so he's going to assume some more responsibility in that area. I have NO FUCKING CLUE, well I guess that's not completely true....I just want to continue doing what I'm doing! I want to continue in this club leadership role and honestly, while I don't see myself getting certified as a grade teacher, I do want to continue this after school profession (at least with this program)... I mean, ultimately my life goal isn't exactly related to this area, I want to work as a freelance photographer (in the area of photographing musicians, performers, and their events or for publicity) I just don't have any equipment for that yet and I'm enjoying my current work as a challenge to my skills and knowledge and helping out my community, it's definitely rewarding and satisfying. I want to eventually get experiencing volunteer teaching at a photography place where I'm just a darkroom monitor, because I think that's ultimately where I'll get the answer to whether or not this is for me... Life after college has really panned out much more simply than I ever imagined it would, I'm so grateful!

sentient02970
02-27-2014, 08:35 AM
Survived yet another round of layoffs. I've lost count.

allegro
02-27-2014, 12:44 PM
I am *swamped* with real estate law. SWAMPED. I haven't been this busy in 4 years.

nothing8
02-28-2014, 04:21 AM
I keep having too much to drink at work. Or at work events. At least I can pass today off on the fact that a good friend decided to resign and move on to another firm. Gotta cut down.

Halo Infinity
03-07-2014, 04:07 PM
I was just wondering how true this is sometimes. Is it normal for co-workers in certain workplaces to try to get you to discuss your personal life, while also trying to be friends with you outside of the workplace?

In the last full-time job I've worked at, I was just trying to be 100% professional, and I was deemed to be too quiet and too formal. Some of them even told me that maturity is a sign of being boring, as some of them liked to mess with me. I didn't ignore anybody, and responded to others accordingly, but it seemed frustrating to them when it didn't seem like I was loosening up. My boss at the time even tried to tell me that it's sometimes important to combine some parts of your personal life with your professional life as it would help me expand my contacts for networking should I lose the job or want to seek another one. A lot of my co-workers even agreed, and said that it's too boring and stressful to remain silent and only speak of work-related subjects.

Did any of you encounter this type of situation at work?

I've found it surprising, because I was always taught to never combine my personal life with my professional life, and I tend to strongly agree with that stance a whole lot more. I'm sure it's because some of them wanted to become my friends, and they thought that I meant to be serious at all times without a sense of humor. They even wanted me to go out with them on some Friday nights, but I kept declining as respectably as possible, which still made it awkward for them. I've asked around elsewhere and from the looks of it, most people have told me that it wasn't normal anyway. And well, as I've asked, I was just curious if anybody else went through a similar situation. Perhaps it was also because I was in my early 20s at the time. Most of the staff that I worked with were also in their 20s too.

To me, I don't think I could ever be too quiet at work as long as I'm not rudely ignoring my co-workers. It's just that I'm not the kind of type that would like to speak about my personal life at work, of all places. I also don't even do that at school, or at least try my best not to.

mooney138
03-07-2014, 09:55 PM
If in your early 20's you moved for a job to a city where you had no personal friends, sure, go out with the work crew. I suggest not talking about work outside of work, and limiting any details about your Significant Other (SO)/personal life. Talk about other interests: music, movies, books, sports, food, beer, travel, etc. (I find it next to impossible to be friends with pretty much anyone who sits in the same cube (if you have to share one in an office). It's like you're married - they see you more than they see their SO. It's only a matter of time before they get on your last nerves.)

With that being said: People cannot be real friends unless they make themselves vulnerable. How vulnerable you want to get and with who is up to you. If you have anything in your life that could be even slightly controversial in the office, I suggest being very careful who you trust with your personal information and with what you say to people in your office/when speaking on the phone. People fear what they do not understand. I say this because I work in a very conservative profession with a bunch of crazy bible thumpers (some of which I suspect are really bible spankers behind closed doors) who eavesdrop on conversations only getting part of the context/story and blow everything out of proportion - making problems for others/being cutthroat to keep their job and get you sacked. Their inflicted harassment can be very covert/subtle and very difficult to prove. Keep in mind that Human Resources does not work for you, it works for the company. Therefore, if something happens, you are pretty much on your own unless someone will step up to say they witnessed it taking place. However, I have met a few cool people through work who I have become great friends with over time.

Oh, and there are a few guys with long hair that work where I do. They keep it pulled back in a pony tail. Nothing like going out on the production floor, getting your hair/neck tie/lanyard sucked into a machine, and scalped/choked to death.

I was just wondering how true this is sometimes. Is it normal for co-workers in certain workplaces to try to get you to discuss your personal life, while also trying to be friends with you outside of the workplace?

In the last full-time job I've worked at, I was just trying to be 100% professional, and I was deemed to be too quiet and too formal. Some of them even told me that maturity is a sign of being boring, as some of them liked to mess with me. I didn't ignore anybody, and responded to others accordingly, but it seemed frustrating to them when it didn't seem like I was loosening up. My boss at the time even tried to tell me that it's sometimes important to combine some parts of your personal life with your professional life as it would help me expand my contacts for networking should I lose the job or want to seek another one. A lot of my co-workers even agreed, and said that it's too boring and stressful to remain silent and only speak of work-related subjects.

Did any of you encounter this type of situation at work?

I've found it surprising, because I was always taught to never combine my personal life with my professional life, and I tend to strongly agree with that stance a whole lot more. I'm sure it's because some of them wanted to become my friends, and they thought that I meant to be serious at all times without a sense of humor. They even wanted me to go out with them on some Friday nights, but I kept declining as respectably as possible, which still made it awkward for them. I've asked around elsewhere and from the looks of it, most people have told me that it wasn't normal anyway. And well, as I've asked, I was just curious if anybody else went through a similar situation. Perhaps it was also because I was in my early 20s at the time. Most of the staff that I worked with were also in their 20s too.

To me, I don't think I could ever be too quiet at work as long as I'm not rudely ignoring my co-workers. It's just that I'm not the kind of type that would like to speak about my personal life at work, of all places. I also don't even do that at school, or at least try my best not to.

Dra508
03-07-2014, 10:03 PM
Survived yet another round of layoffs. I've lost count.

For me, I'm guessing 15 rounds and I finally got caught.

frankie teardrop
03-12-2014, 12:16 PM
bizarre times, career wise. i was hired at a new company under false pretenses, and even though the money is equal to what i was making, the work is a major downgrade and i'm both overqualified and not interested in doing this sort of grunt work. after my first day (monday), i contacted the company who contracted me and gave immediate notice. they were surprised but appreciated my honesty, and after meeting with the company head, he was going to make the effort to place me elsewhere asap. spoke with him today, and that is less likely of an option (understandable), and as of next friday, i will be out of a job.

i have had steady work since i was 16, almost 15 years of constantly working without a lapse in employment. this is both scary and extremely liberating. i've put in a few calls to agencies and am looking to reboot my career, if not find something where 9 years of tech experience can propel me forward. i can't afford to be out of work for long, but i have a little grace period to regroup and refocus. i've done pluckier and crazier things in my lifetime (including moving to NYC with $300 in the bank and no job to fall right into), so i just need to tap into that sort of chaotic ambition again. here goes nothing...

october_midnight
03-12-2014, 01:44 PM
Good luck, man. I did the same when I moved to Vancouver back in 2004. I hope it works out for ya.

halloween
03-12-2014, 08:50 PM
You will surviiiiive! =]

playwithfire
03-13-2014, 10:34 AM
[redacted]

theimage13
03-13-2014, 02:39 PM
For the second time this year, it's been less than a week between "you're going on tour with x" and "whoops - no you're not".

I love my job?

Timinator
03-16-2014, 01:01 AM
My latest job is in something called Customer Success. Essentially my job is to make sure that a subset of my company's customers are so thrilled with the software they've bought from us that they keep renewing their licenses for it.

I am not the sales guy, I am not technical support, I am not training nor professional services. I instead act as the customer's single point to assist with all these functions.

I ensure that the customer knows all the software features, is not seriously affected by bugs, keeps relatively current in their upgrades, and generally sees our products as so key to their business that they can't do without them. If license renewal is a no-brainer then I have done my job.

I have to build long-term relationships with customers and have them trust me.

This job is a mixture of technical and account management. It is just right for me.

frankie teardrop
03-19-2014, 10:36 AM
bizarre times, career wise. i was hired at a new company under false pretenses, and even though the money is equal to what i was making, the work is a major downgrade and i'm both overqualified and not interested in doing this sort of grunt work. after my first day (monday), i contacted the company who contracted me and gave immediate notice. they were surprised but appreciated my honesty, and after meeting with the company head, he was going to make the effort to place me elsewhere asap. spoke with him today, and that is less likely of an option (understandable), and as of next friday, i will be out of a job.

i have had steady work since i was 16, almost 15 years of constantly working without a lapse in employment. this is both scary and extremely liberating. i've put in a few calls to agencies and am looking to reboot my career, if not find something where 9 years of tech experience can propel me forward. i can't afford to be out of work for long, but i have a little grace period to regroup and refocus. i've done pluckier and crazier things in my lifetime (including moving to NYC with $300 in the bank and no job to fall right into), so i just need to tap into that sort of chaotic ambition again. here goes nothing...

ahh, the situation is more confusing than ever. my new new job just asked me to stay an ADDITIONAL two weeks after my official resignation so they can properly staff things here, but a week later and i'm still more certain than ever that i can't be here. so while i want to be nice and not rock the boat (and if i am out of work for good, the extra two weeks of income would be nice), it's not worth weathering all the chaos and disorganization here. i just can't...

meanwhile, i went on an interview for my old company yesterday, and it seemed like a shoe in, fingers crossed. i won't be able to get my old job back (they already filled my position), but i may be able to work at a different location under similar circumstances. just waiting on the phone call if it's a go... if the pay is the same as when i left, and if the hours are as good, i'm going to take it. if not, i'm still driving off the cliff and hoping for the best.

playwithfire
03-22-2014, 05:23 PM
I am still kinda in shock, but I just got a real job that actually fits my skills with a super fucking awesome company where I can wear jeans to work and eat free catered lunch every day and actually pays me enough to live comfortably. WHAT.

allegro
03-22-2014, 05:54 PM
I am still kinda in shock, but I just got a real job that actually fits my skills with a super fucking awesome company where I can wear jeans to work and eat free catered lunch every day and actually pays me enough to live comfortably. WHAT.

YOU GOT THAT RECEPTIONIST JOB?? OMG Congrats!!!!!

playwithfire
03-22-2014, 05:56 PM
I DIIIIDDDDDD. Thanks. <3 <3 <3

Dra508
03-24-2014, 07:23 AM
ahh, the situation is more confusing than ever. my new new job just asked me to stay an ADDITIONAL two weeks after my official resignation so they can properly staff things here, but a week later and i'm still more certain than ever that i can't be here. so while i want to be nice and not rock the boat (and if i am out of work for good, the extra two weeks of income would be nice), it's not worth weathering all the chaos and disorganization here. i just can't...

meanwhile, i went on an interview for my old company yesterday, and it seemed like a shoe in, fingers crossed. i won't be able to get my old job back (they already filled my position), but i may be able to work at a different location under similar circumstances. just waiting on the phone call if it's a go... if the pay is the same as when i left, and if the hours are as good, i'm going to take it. if not, i'm still driving off the cliff and hoping for the best.

Why would you go back to your old company? The job market is picking up, wouldn't going elsewhere be more of a career build?

frankie teardrop
03-24-2014, 08:38 AM
Why would you go back to your old company? The job market is picking up, wouldn't going elsewhere be more of a career build?

a moment of weakness. it didn't pan out anyway, spent the weekend freaking out about it, but realized it's a good thing in the end. i'm currently in talks with a recruiter, and i've also spent the weekend applying to my dream job, so i'm going full throttle into the unknown. it may be scary for a while, but in the end, it will certainly be for the best.

Dra508
03-24-2014, 05:14 PM
i'm currently in talks with a recruiter, and i've also spent the weekend applying to my dream job, so i'm going full throttle into the unknown. it may be scary for a while, but in the end, it will certainly be for the best.I'm in the same spot. I've gotten a lot of support and advice from a career coaching co. Hit me up if you need any thing or feel gapped. I might have a resource that could help. Good luck and happy landing.

Ryan
03-31-2014, 12:28 AM
So busy today.

xmd 5a
05-01-2014, 04:57 AM
Feel like I'm in between a rock and a hard place re: work at the moment. I got temporarily "promoted" (for want of a better word) last year. It was originally to fill in for another staff member for two weeks, but there have been several extensions and here I am still in the role 13 months later. Problem is, there's no scope for any further extensions to my current role and I'm going back to my previous position next week. I've really enjoyed the past 13 months and have made good friends on the team. While I've had a lot more responsibility, my stress levels have been MUCH lower and work has felt so much more rewarding. The thought of going back to where I was before feels repulsive to me now. More stress for less money. I feel disappointed that permanency isn't on the table. And I feel guilty for feeling disappointed (after all, it was always a temporary thing and I'm lucky that it's gone on this long). Without wanting to sound 'entitled', I've come to value my time a lot more over the past year, which has been underscored by the arrival of my second child. Every hour I spend at work is an hour I'm not spending with my family, and I want to feel like I'm being adequately compensated for this 'opportunity cost'.

I've been looking for other jobs, but most of the vacancies in my city (moving elsewhere is not an option at this stage) either require qualifications/experience I don't have or would be a major step backwards.

So my options are:
(a) Stick around where I am and hope something better comes up in the near future
or
(b) Try to get further qualifications whilst juggling work and family

I'm leaning towards (b), but I'm not sure how I'll go with full-time work + full-time study being as prone to stress/anxiety as I am. I figure I can reduce the study load if it gets too much, but I'm hoping to move on to better things as quickly as possible.

Sorry for the rant, I just needed to vent a bit.

Charmingly Miserable
05-01-2014, 11:30 PM
The school that I work at was given the Distinguished School award (http://www.desertsun.com/story/news/education/2014/04/30/california-distinguished-schools-palm-springs-area/8519729/). It's a top honor in California for schools and what it means is that we have made significant strides to close in on the achievement gap.

Ryan
05-19-2014, 05:45 PM
Do you like your job? I do.

Well, when I asked that question it was late November of 2011. I joined the company on August 22, 2011.

I had my annual performance review yesterday (I'll have been here three years this coming August), and my boss said she has given my base rate a pay rise - higher than anyone else - although it still needs to be approved by the company who owns us, as well as giving me a bonus on top. I also earn commission.

Three years later, yes, I do like my job. :)

Charmingly Miserable
05-19-2014, 10:43 PM
I got punched in the face, slapped, hit, kicked, spit upon and scratched within the first hour of work. Happy Monday to me!

ophelia_
05-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Jebus! That is horrible! :(

What do you do for work?

Charmingly Miserable
05-21-2014, 11:36 PM
I work as an assistant for a special education classroom of 4th/5th graders with moderate to severe disabilities. After almost 9 years of doing it, I'm done with it. Once I graduate from university next month, I'm gonna look for another job.

ophelia_
05-22-2014, 01:07 AM
9 years is a long time to be doing such a stressful job.. And hooray for graduating, that's exciting!

halloween
05-22-2014, 05:32 PM
I've only managed 1 year with kids from a small public elementary. I'm not cut out for this!! I was hoping I'd survive two years but my co worker situation is getting to me too. No bueno all around.

halloween
05-28-2014, 08:16 PM
My co-workers are mostly teenagers who know each other. Seeing the games they play is funny at times, especially between these two love birds. THEN OTHER TIMES, I'm not so amused like seeing "*Boss name* Der Fuhrer" on the phone (She was calling his phone). The display is 10 inches big or something (not really, but you know what I mean) so I wasn't snooping. I laughed because I understand their side of the situation because our boss is more used to speaking to pre-school and not 18 year old boys. She comes off as "bossy". I also understand her side, she does have a habit of talking a bit blunt and "demanding" with her requests because she was a preschool teacher. She's also really stressed out and the boys don't see that. They don't even see that THEY'RE stressed too.
Anyways, I should have told Cody that he should change Der Fuhrer because that's really unprofessional. The reason I didn't say anything was because I know he's intelligent enough to grow out of that...I hope anyways. The only reason I know that is because when I mentioned Der Fuhrer called, with a chuckle, he TOTALLY LOOKED GUILTY. It was hilarious!

God, I do need a social life. I shouldn't be analyzing these people this closely.

virushopper
05-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Went to a staff meeting today and saw the new database interface system. It seemed fairly normal and then I realized it's going to replace me in the near future. Who needs a middle man when y'all can do it. Yikes!

halloween
05-29-2014, 05:24 AM
Oh no, that's too bad! Think of it this way, it might give you a chance to find something that's a bit of a level up, something you need the human touch for.

playwithfire
05-29-2014, 06:04 AM
[redacted]

Sarah K
05-29-2014, 08:16 AM
Why is it only for a year?

martin_b
05-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Sometimes I think that the SAP SDK is just one, big f**king joke.

playwithfire
05-29-2014, 09:02 AM
[redacted]

richardp
06-09-2014, 01:08 PM
I've got an interview with Google today to install Google Fiber in people's homes, and I'm REALLY REALLY hoping it happens. I've GOT to get out of the shitty drama fueled shit show that is the movie theater I currently work at.

Fixer808
06-09-2014, 01:22 PM
Blaaaaargh, week's worth of night shifts starting tonight.

sentient02970
06-11-2014, 10:03 AM
Technician doesn't bother with problem analysis so hands it over to us the engineers to wade through. I spend half an hour answering something they could have figured out only to find the handover retracted because they then figured it out on their own time without letting me know. I want my 30 minutes back.

Sarah K
06-11-2014, 10:24 AM
I always thought some mindless office job would be awesome.

It isn't!

I basically sit here and dick around on the internet for 10 hours a day. He keeps promising that he's going to train me to do other shit, and he never does, because he is never here.

Dra508
06-11-2014, 11:17 AM
Technician doesn't bother with problem analysis so hands it over to us the engineers to wade through. I spend half an hour answering something they could have figured out only to find the handover retracted because they then figured it out on their own time without letting me know. I want my 30 minutes back.
Write or review better documentation and they won't bother you. I keed I keed. Some techs just aren't motivated to solve problems, just screw turners. Others make it their mission to figure it.

I am now officially on my job search. No more of this semi retirement, goofing off. Oh but it's been sooo good.

jessamineny
06-11-2014, 12:17 PM
I always thought some mindless office job would be awesome.

It isn't!

I basically sit here and dick around on the internet for 10 hours a day. He keeps promising that he's going to train me to do other shit, and he never does, because he is never here.

Start training yourself, even if it's not for that job. There's tons of free shit on the Web you can learn. You could start with codeacademy

halloween
06-11-2014, 12:35 PM
one more week of this BUUUULLLLSHIIIIIIT!!! Then I'm FREE! FREE LIKE A BIRD MADE TO FOLLOW IT'S GENETIC CODE TO MIGRATE SOUTH WHEN IT GETS COLD! My doctor today told me my blood tests for lupus or any other auto immune or allergy came up clear and she asked me, "What do you think it is?" and my answer was "Stress" and we talked about my job and she said that now I've learned what some people never do in 20 years at a job! I see several people around me at work suffering from recurring health issues due to shitty immune systems. It's a hell hole at that school and I'm just so grateful I can turn around and leave, unlike some of those people... Maybe people told me I'm "great with the kids" and a "future teacher". I just put on a good show because I can't deal with being a teacher, no way. Even when I had a class of 7th-8th graders who were perfectly well behaved I couldn't handle it, all their eyes on me, waiting for every instruction to be perfect. Ugh... Now on to my dream of becoming Ranger Laisa!

For those who want online courses, I found this yesterday: www.openculture.com It links to free courses from all different universities and colleges.

virushopper
07-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry but what is the point of introducing a new employee to everyone if you intend to skip me and oh I don't know the rest of my department.

Ryan
07-04-2014, 01:31 AM
We had a thing going on where you had to sketch someone from the company.

I got first prize, a $100 gift voucher. Woo! Nice way to end the week.

icklekitty
07-04-2014, 06:44 AM
Bitch at work is off for the day so I actually get to a) do my actual job b) maintain normal blood pressure c) have a pretty fun time with my colleagues and boss.

Millionaire
07-04-2014, 08:34 AM
Reading about all ya'lls horror stories makes me appreciate my job, which I sometimes take for granted how good I got it. Having a shit job is fucking torture. Been there.

Pillfred
07-08-2014, 03:27 PM
So Im getting the cool jerk at work, again. I guess this is what happens when you don't kiss ass. I really need to get out of cooking but it's the only thing I've done for the past 15 years or so. I still need to talk to my Chef about it but I think it's time to move on to something at least better paying for the shit i have to put up with. For the time being ill stay as it's a 4 minute walk from my apartment. Though living here where there is always like 5 new places opening somehow I'm not worried about finding work just something ill enjoy more than topping tacos and face palming all the newbs we keep pulling in every other week.

Halo Infinity
12-15-2014, 11:22 PM
It took me so long to fully realize how important networking was when it came to looking for work, and even while you're working. This also reminds me to work on my resume while working, while making sure to hold onto any business cards I receive as it makes it easier to provide the necessary information for it. While I still had help along the way, I thought I could just be at a point where I could always do it on my own. I also forgot if there was a job search thread, or have just guessed that perhaps it just got merged into the work thread. Anyway, I just thought of hopefully and gradually building a network in real life and the Internet, especially on Facebook and Twitter as the majority of people I know in real life are on those sites.

I also don't have much to say about these particular topics of my life, nor do I have that much to be proud of, but after having a few years spent going back to college, and some family vacations and gatherings that put my job search on hold after I was done with school, it just really hit me after I observed how lots of people I knew actually just bypassed interviews and started working just from simply having connections. It should have hit me when I also experienced that same exact thing from my first real full-time job. I need all the help I can get anyway, and just felt like venting that in this thread.

playwithfire
12-16-2014, 08:21 AM
[redacted]

Dra508
12-16-2014, 09:45 AM
It took me so long to fully realize how important networking was when it came to looking for work, and even while you're working. This also reminds me to work on my resume while working, while making sure to hold onto any business cards I receive as it makes it easier to provide the necessary information for it. While I still had help along the way, I thought I could just be at a point where I could always do it on my own. I also forgot if there was a job search thread, or have just guessed that perhaps it just got merged into the work thread. Anyway, I just thought of hopefully and gradually building a network in real life and the Internet, especially on Facebook and Twitter as the majority of people I know in real life are on those sites.

I also don't have much to say about these particular topics of my life, nor do I have that much to be proud of, but after having a few years spent going back to college, and some family vacations and gatherings that put my job search on hold after I was done with school, it just really hit me after I observed how lots of people I knew actually just bypassed interviews and started working just from simply have connections. It should have hit me when I also experienced that same exact thing from my first real full-time job. I need all the help I can get anyway, and just felt like venting that in this thread.

THIS IS SO TRUE. All my positions, I got because someone said "oh she'd be good at that - tell her about the open position". Now, I have to actively search and work my network, which I have sort of neglected a bit. Lesson: never stop connecting with people in any and every way: social media, in person, etc etc. The key also is to help someone out before they ask. Eventually, they will or someone they know will help you out. Even if it's just a conversation that you'd like to have to learn more about something, not necessarily 'job' related.

Meanwhile, I preach well, but am slogging away not really working hard enough to find a new position. I need more of a threat I think, like living under a bridge.

playwithfire
01-09-2015, 12:20 PM
[redacted]

thefragile_jake
01-09-2015, 12:36 PM
I have horrible public speaking anxiety and I have a presentation to give in our board room in the next half hour. Even with some xanax, my nerves are still getting to me. =/

Millionaire
01-11-2015, 07:28 AM
I have horrible public speaking anxiety and I have a presentation to give in our board room in the next half hour. Even with some xanax, my nerves are still getting to me. =/
I use to have that my entire life until, for whatever reason, I just stopped giving as much of a shit and my presentations went a lot better(I have to do presentations at work every couple weeks). Part of it was I just realized that most of the people in the room have to present too, and when they see me up there they're as bored or indifferent as I am when I see them. Somehow that kind of helped me get over it. I just go up there thinking along the lines of "Oh, who gives a fuck" and just speak naturally. I joke around a bit, and put some movie clips and stupid pictures in my presentation text/reel-thing as examples of what I'm taking about, and people seem to appreciate that as a break in the monotony.

thefragile_jake
01-11-2015, 09:53 AM
I use to have that my entire life until, for whatever reason, I just stopped giving as much of a shit and my presentations went a lot better(I have to do presentations at work every couple weeks). Part of it was I just realized that most of the people in the room have to present too, and when they see me up there they're as bored or indifferent as I am when I see them. Somehow that kind of helped me get over it. I just go up there thinking along the lines of "Oh, who gives a fuck" and just speak naturally. I joke around a bit, and put some movie clips and stupid pictures in my presentation text/reel-thing as examples of what I'm taking about, and people seem to appreciate that as a break in the monotony.

That's a great way of looking at it! Thanks!!

Ryan
01-12-2015, 03:25 PM
I need a new job. Applying, applying, applying.

Blackbookpress1984
01-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Had nothing to do all day today at work, So i cataloged music onto Discogs. Kinda cool that i am able to do something interesting / that I like while at the office.

Fixer808
01-13-2015, 07:50 PM
0530 start time tomorrow. Wednesday is gonna suck.

sentient02970
01-16-2015, 07:49 AM
I'm getting pulled into my old bad habit of feeling responsible for EVERYTHING bad that happens. Latest example is discovering a late design problem that the client is truly responsible for but because we've already started hardware on the line and I hadn't flagged the problem earlier (as I could have, but not necessarily should have), we may have to stop product on the line to wait for a design fix. I keep coming back to "had I only raised a red flag earlier this would not have happened". I feel like I owe the business something for this kind of mess up, but again...it's not really my mistake! Ugh.

Dra508
01-16-2015, 01:25 PM
I'm getting pulled into my old bad habit of feeling responsible for EVERYTHING bad that happens. Latest example is discovering a late design problem that the client is truly responsible for but because we've already started hardware on the line and I hadn't flagged the problem earlier (as I could have, but not necessarily should have), we may have to stop product on the line to wait for a design fix. I keep coming back to "had I only raised a red flag earlier this would not have happened". I feel like I owe the business something for this kind of mess up, but again...it's not really my mistake! Ugh.Yeah, you need to spin that one around in your head. Not blame the customer, but in your mind, assign responsibility to them so that you won't feel like you own it. I mean really, are you saying that you noticed the issue way back when and didn't bring it up intentionally?

Throw_it_away9
01-16-2015, 06:41 PM
Time to coast till 5...

Hurry up weekend!

sentient02970
01-19-2015, 07:24 AM
Yeah, you need to spin that one around in your head. Not blame the customer, but in your mind, assign responsibility to them so that you won't feel like you own it. I mean really, are you saying that you noticed the issue way back when and didn't bring it up intentionally?
No, it was that I didn't notice it when I could have noticed it.

halloween
02-02-2015, 07:24 PM
My boss sometimes uses up to FOUR exclamation marks in her emails and although it's supposed to appear enthusiastic, it...mostly looks like desperation to me.

Dra508
02-03-2015, 08:09 AM
My boss sometimes uses up to FOUR exclamation marks in her emails and although it's supposed to appear enthusiastic, it...mostly looks like desperation to me.

Yes. It's a bit like using emoticons in email or business texts. Just don't do it people.

aggroculture
02-12-2015, 10:58 PM
So I dunno if it's premature
because I haven't seen a contract yet or anything
but I got offered a job today

wow

allegro
02-12-2015, 11:24 PM
so i dunno if it's premature
because i haven't seen a contract yet or anything
but i got offered a job today

wow
HOLY CRAP I hope it works out!!

Pillfred
02-17-2015, 02:37 AM
Woke up to a text about the food order. Forgot about one, produce. All I could say to chef was yes I hit one, not the other. Anxiety level max until I saw him. He doesn't yell or freak but still this man is a beast, in his way. It ended up being okay. However, being as work/cooking in the one thing I give a fuck about had my balls in my throat. It's kinda of disorganized (overall) yet but still...
At the same time I like my job and dude. Not my ideal way to wake up though. Text message and all ... Yes, I fucked up was all I could say. That said, after my balls dropped, same as puberty, the day went okay.

Dra508
02-25-2015, 02:23 PM
I really dislike LinkedIn's new front page. I feel like I'm on Facebook... THIS IS NOT FACEBOOK.

Oh, and I had a telephone interview today that I clearly nailed since I'm talking to another person tomorrow. Winning. (for the moment)

halloween
03-29-2015, 06:57 PM
I was going to post this in the Cheery Things thread, yet this doesn't actually REALLY cheer me up THAT much. I got the job as bar tender at a brew pub here in town and I'm definitely grateful for the job and looking forward to working there. I'm looking forward to being able to save up some damn money for once out of my last three years from college, since I'll be living with my dad for these summer months (woot rent free!) It will be a lot less annoying because I'll be able to spend a lot more time outside the house and I've actually made a friend in this damn town.

As much as I want to run away from this place as soon as a possible, I realize that this is going to benefit me for the long term a lot more than if I just leave...I hate that I'm being responsible....Summer in Vermont is to fucking magical so it really helps a lot.

Dr. Orange
03-29-2015, 07:31 PM
I have to say I have a job in the restaurant biz as well. I work as a cook making pizzas at an upbeat Italian place. It's crazy. I've been working here for as long as I can remember. I've worked at different places but none have really been that special except for this one. Maybe it's that first job feel. Even when I left for school I had to keep in the flow of things. From what I've seen, make it fun and enjoyable and there isn't ever a bad job.

Melancholygrl78
04-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Teaching art in the high school today, so BORED out of my mind in first hour. This is a small class comprised mostly of seniors and it is the end of the year so getting these guys inspired is not happening at the moment and prom is around the corner in like 9 or 10 days so.......

Melancholygrl78
04-01-2015, 10:57 AM
Good thing my planning period is fourth hour...I am starving. Laterrrzzzz

Melancholygrl78
04-02-2015, 08:49 AM
First hour is planning hour. I have everything done and done and done...what's to do except twiddle my thumbs? I have been thinking that by the time I reach my 50s, I want to be working as a professor in human development. University of OK, AR, KC, NM, or somewhere on the east coast. North Carolina comes to mind. I have always wanted to live there. My older years are going to be quite interesting! That is why I chose an erudite field. As time goes by, it just gets better and better. I love to teach, write, and speak to groups of people(surprisingly, I just discovered this fact about myself recently). That probably sounds boring to some. I feel fairly confident that I was put on this earth to do these things.

Eventually, I want to also be the spokeswoman for an organization that I plan on forming, myself (an all encompassing resource connecting service for single mothers). And, I also have a piece of legislation sitting on my desk at home I want to present regarding neonatal echocardiograms. I have so many plans that I cannot even talk about right now. Everyday something else gets tacked onto my bucket list, but it seems to be all work related. This is why I cannot even stand myself right now because I am antsy to get something else done right now. I cannot stand being stuck in one place and my mind races so fast with all sorts of ideas that I cannot get out fast enough to turn them into tangible projects, sometimes...such an affliction. I see all these people around me that don't even think about anything other than going home or what to cook for dinner or when they have to get their nails done...I don't understand them. I don't mind seeming like a plain Jane. I know what I was put on earth to do and that is to make impossible things happen. I walk alone and that is okay. I can handle it. I am walking strength.

Oh...and I had a lot of coffee this morning. I mean...a lot. I have a new creamer called southern butter pecan and it is the shizzzznizzz, buddy. Yep!

miss k bee
04-02-2015, 06:12 PM
As of last week no more night shift, yay! Just got my voluntary redundancy money so on a break from work at the moment.

Ryan
04-14-2015, 03:17 AM
Applied for a new job today and was accepted! I start Thursday.

This has happened on the 5 year anniversary, to the day, of Peter Steele from Type O Negative's passing. He's looking out for me
from Valhalla!

the duder
04-14-2015, 10:36 AM
Really not feeling this school year. Hoping this subsides...only got about 30 years of work left. :/

allegro
04-16-2015, 12:06 AM
I wish I'd followed my Grandfather's advice: "you never get rich working for somebody else."

halloween
04-16-2015, 08:56 PM
I often think about what I'd do if I could work for myself, being a freelancer in someway. I really want to continue with my videography work that I'm sometimes getting paid for, if I can make that a full time gig- it would be great!

allegro
04-16-2015, 09:04 PM
I've known people who made a LOT of money doing wedding videography work. Sure, they never had a weekend to themselves, but they made a friggin' LOT of money!

halloween
04-17-2015, 11:24 PM
I am seriously considering doing such work. I've never wanted to do wedding photography or any sort of work with photography commercially actually, despite having a degree in photography...it was all about the fine arts, not about selling yourself! I don't feel a personal artistic connection with video so I feel pretty confident in doing commercial video work. I got paid $300 last year to record and edit a J.S. Bach concert (I've been recording this particular group of singers for a while now and am currently editing their performance from last week). It then gets broadcasted on my local community television station! It's been a godsend this TV station, working as a volunteer on a myriad of video situations has really made it clear that I should be doing this full time! Though I enjoy the camera work a lot more than the editing...

As for photography, I'm even starting to move away from straight photography in my artistic work. It feels too much of a machine's work and not enough of my own handy craft. I drew for all my life until I had a fling with photography in high school and now I want to be able to do both, plus some print making again. Now if we're talking really hypothetical, I want to do more ceramic work...Anyways. I really need a job that's going to support my artistic explorations. I even have a short movie idea in the works (inspired by Infinite Jest, no less...) That looks like it will be done this summer even!! I just need to get my group of friends on board and save a date!

Pillfred
04-23-2015, 02:55 AM
It's all good but, fuuuuuuck!

halloween
05-05-2015, 03:07 AM
20% tip on a bar tab of over $300. How fanfuckingtastic! They weren't even all that crazy, just drunk and loud with their laughter. They thought I was cute and grateful for my patience. All I had to do was wash the million glasses they went through, they entertained themselves so I wasn't too worried. On a monday night! Go figure! I should be asleep but I feel a bit wired from tonight.

Throw_it_away9
05-12-2015, 06:50 PM
Ten till five. Such a sweet time of day.

Cheers to all in GMT -7! [best coast]

halloween
05-26-2015, 01:51 AM
I had the most surreal experience at work today. A guy walked into the bar (haha, couldn't help myself) and proceeds to just have a coke all the while staring at the TV that was showing crazy stuff about ancient fish. Every so often he'd share something about himself and I took this to be a conversation starter except he wouldn't answer any questions or comments. Several minutes would go by before he would say anything again so eventually I stopped trying to make a conversation out of it and resorted to listening, making eye contact and nodding.

Working at a bar has been the most interesting place to study human behavior, I'm leaving in a week and I'm honestly going to miss it. Unless I become a therapist, there's no other job I can think of where grown people will admit such personal stories. In my bar I get a lot of "locals" because it is a little dive-y but at the same time I see another extreme which is the tourist crowd because the place is a brewery. I can do people watching any day but in this role they're allowing me to do the watching because it's my job to be aware of when they need my attention for another drink or in a lot of cases, perhaps less consciously on their part, when they just want to talk. One person told me "your job is to just pour beer" but honestly I take to heart that my job is quite a bit more than that. In any service industry there's the expectation to leave the customer with a good "experience" and I often see people come in whose only interaction is with me so I try to make it a positive one. I see a lot of miserable looking people who look like they want to be left alone but end up being extremely receptive to the slightest conversation cue. Except the guy I just mentioned above, that was surreal.

sentient02970
05-29-2015, 05:56 AM
Working at a bar has been the most interesting place to study human behavior,

Being someone that really enjoys the strange sense of community in most bars (interestingly enough, I see more social interaction and diversity of people at the divey bars than the "sports" or more eclectic bars) and also having a girlfriend who used to work at a divey bar, I've always thought bartenders could write some great books about people and interacting with them. I used to be a regular at a "brewery bar" and saw the same as you: regulars who bring a paper, tell the jokes, meet and greet and tourists or passer-bys who sometimes get into the local conversation by just asking questions. You're right, there are always those (sometimes myself included) who just don't want any interaction other than paying for drinks and then drinking the drinks. But in general, there are always people who have a story to share that they wouldn't otherwise share with people outside the bar. I recognize the good bartenders as those that help bring that social interaction out, be it from telling a quick joke, asking how patrons are doing that day, or just talking shop from time to time. I've met some of the most interesting and memorable people at bars and even though bartending can be a tough job it has to be rewarding in having so much fascinating interactions with people, even if it's over just a couple drinks.

Pillfred
06-02-2015, 03:14 AM
28 hours two days. Is that all you got!? (Please stop) ;)