PDA

View Full Version : The National

blackholesun
11-29-2011, 12:53 AM
So this band is still good.

Kid Charlemagne
11-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Seeing them on Sunday, can't wait. I honestly didn't think they'd top Boxer, but High Violet is amazing.

blackholesun
11-30-2011, 09:08 PM
Seeing them on Saturday myself. Don't know how I am going to contain myself.

blackholesun
12-04-2011, 04:16 AM
Holy fuck what an amazing night. Gotta say, even with pretty high expectations, The National surprised me and exceeded them more than I could have imagined. Enjoy tomorrow's show guys

DS23
12-04-2011, 06:04 PM
Love love LOVE these guys.

Somewhat Damaged
12-04-2011, 06:06 PM
High Violet is such a fucking awesome album. I'll be honest, I haven't listened to much else but I have every intention to.

Kid Charlemagne
12-05-2011, 01:08 AM
OH MY FUCKING GOD! This show was mindblowing. Everything was perfect. Matt screaming during "Afraid of Everyone" and finally hearing "Secret Meeting" were great. He came in the crowd during "Terrible Love" and I patted him on the back, it was amazing. And an acoustinc version of "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" where everyone was singing was perfect. Just an incredible band all around.

richardp
12-05-2011, 01:31 AM
OH MY FUCKING GOD! This show was mindblowing. Everything was perfect. Matt screaming during "Afraid of Everyone" and finally hearing "Secret Meeting" were great. He came in the crowd during "Terrible Love" and I patted him on the back, it was amazing. And an acoustinc version of "Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks" where everyone was singing was perfect. Just an incredible band all around.

Sounds awesome. The only time I've been able to see them is when they opened for Arcade Fire this past April. They played for an hour, which was great, but there was still plenty of sunlight and Matt was limping around all night so he didn't come into the crowd. But the show was the day after Gerard from TV On The Radio passed away, so the last song was a super touching performance of About Today, that was dedicated to him. I would absolutely love to finally get to see them play a proper headline set, though.

Jinsai
12-05-2011, 05:46 AM
Sounds awesome. The only time I've been able to see them is when they opened for Arcade Fire this past April.

Part of me is a little sad that this lineup isn't flipped around, because The National are by far the better band

blackholesun
12-05-2011, 01:32 PM

Holy shit, I just saw the setlist for yr guys' show. Santa Clara??! I don't think they play that much and it's probably in my top 3. Awesome. Wish they had played Available and Cardinal Song at the SF show as well but we got Abel which was amazing and they played Son from the S/T album.

And yeah The National > Arcade Fire.

Pillfred
12-05-2011, 02:24 PM
I do have to say that when i saw them last year they were really amazing. I knew they would be good but I honestly didn't expect to get that pumped from a show like that. He walked off through the crowd during the last song when i saw them too which i thought was a nice way to end the show.

Rdm
12-06-2011, 04:31 PM
Probably my favorite band and one of the best live acts I have ever seen . I hate when this band gets thrown in discussion as just another indie band, the band is more than that . Leaps and bounds better than the arcade fire and most other bands that pitchfork loves . They have made 5 extremely good albums in a row . I'm a super fan boy and I don't care to admit it

piggy
12-06-2011, 11:55 PM
I love these guys. I remember finding out about them back when they only had one or two albums out, but I didn't really like them at first. Then when Boxer made such a big splash, I started buying their albums. Still can't decide which album I love more out of Boxer and High Violet.

Pemulis
12-07-2011, 02:01 PM
Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers is alright but doesn't hold a candle to their later work, so I can see not being into them to begin with. However, from Alligator on they've hit the ball out of the park at each and every at bat. Their albums are the very definition of growers though. Which isn't to say they aren't immediate or great upon first listen, they are, but that they only seem to truly reveal themselves after you've heard them quite a lot. I remember the very first time I listened to High Violet, utterly enthralled, but I wasn't quite sure if it was Boxer good. However it's grown with me as I've listened to it and now it's probably my favorite album of theirs. I constantly catch myself singing Sorrow absent-mindedly :).

And yeah, they are spectacular live. I saw them with The Antlers opening, and that was probably the best concert I've ever been to because it's rare to see both the opening band and the headliner absolutely nail it. No one seemed to know The Antlers in the crowd but as soon as they were done I heard a few people saying "Wow" and asking questions about them and I basically explained to the group of people around me the concept of Hospice and how it was in my opinion undoubtedly the best album of 2009.

The National killed it as well, hearing Terrible Love live was like a religious experience for me. Also, About Today was spectacular, and the cool thing was I hadn't heard the Cherry Tree EP before that, I'd only listened to their albums (incessantly I might add haha) so I got to hear what has become one of my favorite songs by them for the first time live.

So yeah, in conclusion, The National is definitely one of the best bands in music today. I wouldn't tear down other bands to elevate them though. I saw Arcade Fire a few months after The National and they're every bit as good a live band. I enjoyed The National more though because the Arcade Fire show was in a larger venue, had assigned sitting, and we were pretty far back, whereas at the National I was literally right under Matt Berninger. Could have reached out and touched his foot if I were so inclined. The coolest part was I helped this girl lift him back on stage when he came down into the crowd too. He'd disappeared in the crowd for quite a while and I'd turned back around to watch the rest of the band play since I couldn't see him anymore, and then caught the girl next to me out of the corner of my eye (who was all of five feet) trying to help lift him back up but she was having a hell of a time so of course I immediately reached down and the girl and I made a step stool out of our hands for him. Matt then gave her his copy of the set list as a thank you for gallantly volunteering her meager stature to get him back to his rightful place on the stage, haha.

I promise I didn't intend to type that much when I started, but I just love these guys so much.

blackholesun
12-08-2011, 03:54 PM
^^ Awesome story there haha

Here's 2 brand new songs!

http://www.cbc.ca/q/blog/2011/12/08/the-national-perform-two-brand-new-songs-on-q/

Rdm
12-11-2011, 04:40 AM
Rylan sounds like its going to be really good. the other one I feel like i need more time with it, or maybe I should just wait till the album drops.

The band has really got a rhythm right now. Heres a brand new interview with news about a new album.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/Artists/N/National/2011/12/05/19069921.html?cid=rssentertainmentmusic

carpenoctem
12-11-2011, 05:10 PM
Great interview. I would love a more raw, immediate National album for sure.

blackholesun
12-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I like both the new songs. I remember when they played Runaway a few months or so before High Violet came out and it was incredible. I get the same feeling from these new songs. Just so fresh. There's a video of them from the same session playing 'Vanderlye Crybaby Geeks' with Justin from Bon Iver. So good.

Rdm
12-18-2011, 03:10 AM
The national setlist was insane TONIGHT!!!!!! Karen, Daughters, Santa clara, 90 mile water!!????!!!

Thirsty
Karen
Mistaken for Strangers
Anybody's Ghost
Bloodbuzz Ohio
Squalor Victoria
Afraid of Everyone
Conversation 16
Geese of Beverly Road
90-Mile Water Wall
Abel
Rylan
Sorrow
Daughters of the Soho Riots
England
Fake Empire
About Today
-------
Santa Clara
I Need My Girl
Mr. November
Terrible Love
Vanderlyle singalong

NIN64
12-18-2011, 07:02 AM
I watched them last night on livestream in HD. It was really good!

Kid Charlemagne
11-17-2012, 12:16 PM
http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/11/the-national-cover-bobs-burgers-thanksgiving-song/

Happy Thanksgiving from The National

Clownboat
11-17-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm convinced The National is the best band in the world.

profane
11-17-2012, 04:00 PM
I want to ad that I also adore them, great band!

Jinsai
11-18-2012, 05:04 AM
well, the thanksgiving song was super awesome

henryeatscereal
11-18-2012, 09:59 AM
One awesome alternative band, i really like them and i think "Boxer" it's true art (each song is carefully crafted)
I also like "High Violet", but i think "Boxer" is superior in every way, i saw them live too a few years ago, i hope they come nearby again and play this beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZDl2xRK_r8

Rdm
11-29-2012, 05:37 PM
In case you missed it;)

The national cover I'll see you in my dreams for boardwalk empire

http://fuckyeahthenational.tumblr.com/post/36051820101/new-song-the-national-ill-see-you-in-my

<3 The National

blackholesun
11-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Goddamn that is so good.

I can't wait for a new album/tour.

carpenoctem
11-29-2012, 08:42 PM
I keep hoping every time this thread gets bumped we're getting a new album.

I mean I think we're pretty much due one for 2013 but the anticipation is killing me.

Rdm
12-10-2012, 05:40 AM
The Virgina EP got released today on vinyl. It's a really cool tie dye black and yellow color vinyl . The national color vinyl are hard to come by so if you want it make sure not to stall.

http://i.imgur.com/COlit.jpg

profane
12-11-2012, 09:08 AM
Watch The National perform a new song called “Lola” (http://consequenceofsound.net/2012/12/watch-the-national-perform-a-new-song-called-lola/)

Rdm
01-16-2013, 05:16 AM
AND HERE WE GO, WELL SORT OF

http://pitchfork.com/news/49166-the-national-to-headline-brooklyns-barclays-center/

Sounds like new album coming soon. DROOOOOOOOOLSS

henryeatscereal
01-16-2013, 02:48 PM
about fuckin time!

blackholesun
02-25-2013, 11:34 AM
New album out in May according to their Facebook/Twitter.

profane
03-21-2013, 08:56 AM
The new album is out on May 21 and is called "Trouble Will Find Me". (http://stereogum.com/1294122/the-national-trouble-will-find-me-details/top-stories/)

carpenoctem
03-21-2013, 04:33 PM
The first song is called "I Should Live In Salt." Me too, National. Me too.

profane
04-08-2013, 05:35 AM
New single "Demons".

http://youtu.be/N527oBKIPMc

henryeatscereal
04-08-2013, 09:57 AM
Cool cover-art!

http://25.media.tumblr.com/011a8e01fdcf2b2d449c8c5355e8de32/tumblr_mk1ccgnTVY1rrc4rdo1_500.jpg

blackholesun
04-08-2013, 10:53 AM
Excellent song. It reminds me of a cross of something on Alligator and High Violet.

blackholesun
04-08-2013, 12:57 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p017fh37

profane
04-08-2013, 03:23 PM
The single is really growing on me. On first listen I thought it was good, but the more I hear it, the more it speaks to me in different kinds of ways. I'm really excited for the album, well I was for a long time now. But something tells me it'll be something special.

ZeroSum
04-10-2013, 04:03 PM
The single is a grower... I'm trying not to play it too much, I don't want to spoil the actual album when it comes out. It kind of seems like an odd choice for a single to me, but it's definitely good enough to indicate that the new album should be solid, as this band always is...

Rdm
04-10-2013, 05:21 PM
Limited vinyl box set of the new album. Got mine last night. !!!!!!!!

http://shopusa.4ad.com/trouble-will-find-me-deluxe-boxset

dzaver
04-11-2013, 01:08 PM
im a devoted fan. been listening to them since their start. but no way that im paying 50$ for shipping to Europe. fuck them. wasn't 4AD founded in UK. why is there no Europe shop?! its really silly.

richardp
04-11-2013, 01:20 PM
I think I'm going to hold out for the standard vinyl release. I just can't see myself really doing anything with the art pieces.

I REALLY like Don't Swallow The Cap. I think I like that a lot more than Demons actually. Should be a fantastic album.

blackholesun
04-11-2013, 03:56 PM
This is shaping up to be one hell of an album just from what we've heard. I'm surprised that song "Rylan" they had playing didn't make the cut.

Jinsai
04-11-2013, 05:25 PM
im a devoted fan. been listening to them since their start. but no way that im paying 50$ for shipping to Europe. fuck them. wasn't 4AD founded in UK. why is there no Europe shop?! its really silly.

yes, but 4AD has US offices now too, and the band is American. If they're going to do a limited run of a deluxe version, I'd imagine it would be printed and sold from the US. It's just the way it goes... it's not like the band is saying "fuck you Europe!"

thefragile_jake
04-11-2013, 05:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFnA-8H-5lo

New song sounds pretty great.

Rdm
04-26-2013, 07:23 AM
Another 2 great new songs. The most consistent band out there IMO:o. No one touches these guys

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/the-national-i-need-my-girl/n35948/

going to the red rocks show, it will be my first time seeing a show there. I think it will be magical.

Kodiak33
04-26-2013, 11:24 AM
This is going to be a really good album, those two songs released are fantastic.

Clownboat
04-27-2013, 09:41 AM
"I Need My Girl" is incredible, damn. Agreed with Rdm, these guys are remarkably consistent.

Rdm
04-27-2013, 03:56 PM
Anyone else notice how good matt's voice is lately. It sounds like he has been taking singing lessons.

if anyone wants the audio rips of the performances here they are -

http://www26.zippyshare.com/v/9127320/file.html

Rdm
05-06-2013, 12:32 PM
edit sorry

henryeatscereal
05-06-2013, 01:44 PM
The National perform "Sorrow" for six straight hours... (http://consequenceofsound.net/2013/05/watch-the-national-perform-sorrow-for-six-straight-hours/)

Jesus f'n Christ!

Rdm
05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Just got tickets to see the national at the Hollywood forever cementary !!!! 2 tickets . Dream show

blackholesun
05-08-2013, 12:52 PM
I was going to get tickets to see them at Outside Lands or drive down to LA, but coincidentally that week and weekend I'm going camping in Yosemite. Hopefully they do a proper tour next year.

Pillfred
05-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I was going to get tickets to see them at Outside Lands or drive down to LA, but coincidentally that week and weekend I'm going camping in Yosemite. Hopefully they do a proper tour next year.

If you haven't seen them they are really good. Even my ex who was a pretty staunch metal head for the most part enjoyed the show i took her too. I would definitely go see them again.

richardp
05-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Only time I've seen them was opening for Arcade Fire in 2011 and although it was a short set during the daytime, it was great. It was the day that the bassist of TV on The Radio died and they did a special performance of About Today in his dedication, and it was really touching. Would love to see these dudes perform a full proper set, though.

And also, this is not only the best song released from the new album, but probably the best music video of the year so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIWmRbHDhGw

blackholesun
05-09-2013, 01:27 AM
If you haven't seen them they are really good. Even my ex who was a pretty staunch metal head for the most part enjoyed the show i took her too. I would definitely go see them again.

Thankfully, I have seen them. I believe at the end of 2011, right around the end of the touring cycle for High Violet. So good. I'm sure they will tour a lot for this new one.

Speaking of which, the album leaked. I haven't had the chance to listen to it yet, but I will be devouring it tomorrow.

richardp
05-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Drip drip drip!!!!!

profane
05-09-2013, 06:04 AM
This is so good. So so good.

http://i.imgflip.com/1fat8.jpg

Kodiak33
05-09-2013, 07:39 AM
This is fantastic, I didn't like much of their stuff before (certain songs). This is solid throughout IMO.

My AOTY so far.

BrewHa
05-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Another masterpiece from one of the most accomplished bands in the world.

richardp
05-09-2013, 12:03 PM
Simply put, this album is incredible.

thevoid99
05-09-2013, 03:14 PM
Oh..., I'm downloading it right now. Another new record to listen to tonight.

dzaver
05-09-2013, 03:49 PM
apparently the deluxe vinyl box is out of stock... it was written that the info for UK/Europe preorder will come soon... and now is out of stock. great

Rdm
05-09-2013, 04:43 PM
Another masterpiece, 5 in a row . I don't know another band that has done this

thevoid99
05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
Another masterpiece, 5 in a row . I don't know another band that has done this

Led Zeppelin probably from I to Physical Graffiti. Bowie from Station to Station to Scary Monsters. Radiohead from The Bends to In Rainbows.

blackholesun
05-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Wow this is good. Love that there are more uptempo songs on here as well.

thevoid99
05-09-2013, 10:34 PM
I heard it earlier tonight. Man, I'm definitely going to see them when they come to the Cobb Energy Center which is only 10 minutes from my house.

Jinsai
05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
I got tickets to see them at the hollywood cemetery. You can not top that venue, especially for moody music
That said, I still haven't heard the new album. Good to see unanimous praise though.

Rdm
05-10-2013, 02:35 AM
I will see you there buddy. I wouldn't miss this show for the world. We seem to meet when the national comes into town. LOl. only show in the tour that has a small venue. so so great. I always got my tickets ;)

I literally cried when i first heard I need my girl. It hits so close to home. This band is just incrediable

Clownboat
05-10-2013, 10:09 AM
How the fuck do these guys do it? They make it look so effortless.

[Shep]
05-10-2013, 11:12 AM
This is absolutely stunning. I thought they'd never top High Violet.

ZeroSum
05-10-2013, 12:45 PM
Incredible album, I have no idea how they keep improving but I think this is probably my favorite yet. It's definitely the most immediate any of their albums have been for me, at least. "Humiliation" is fucking amazing and probably a new favorite for me.

Pillfred
05-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Am patiently waiting. Can't wait to get home and check this out.

Presideo
05-16-2013, 07:29 AM
I like this band - each album they've made has been consistently great, and 'Trouble Will Find Me' is no exception. However, I really wish they'd switch up their sound a little and try experimenting more. I always associate the word 'complacent' with them; not exactly a bad thing, but it makes every new release from them feel underwhelming when you already have a good idea of what it will sound like...even before the first listen.

Jinsai
05-23-2013, 12:30 AM
I finally got a chance to sit down and listen to the new album on a good system, and while I like it, on a whole I'm pretty sure I like Boxer, Alligator, and High Violet better. This new album feels like the sonic edges have all been softened. There's very little grit here, and while it's been apparent that they've been moving away from that since Alligator, it's got a very pristine tone to it. I can see that appealing to a lot of people, but I can tell that I wouldn't be as impressed with this if this was the first thing I'd heard from them. There's no moment on this new album that shocks me the way a lot of moments on Boxer did. Maybe part of that is due to the fact that the band hasn't drastically shifted gears since then, and I'm familiar with their "formula," for lack of a better word.

I would have liked to hear a bit more of something that sounded new and maybe even a little more experimental. The electronic subtle rhythm on I Need My Girl was cool... and it would have been nice to hear more stuff like that. Otherwise, the record seems to be stuck in a very somber and maybe even morose groove, and it seems to be more overtly miserable and depressing than their other stuff. That can sometimes be my thing, but I think I miss them being a little more obtuse about their moody emotive themes.

Also, is it just me, or does Fireproof sound like it took its verses from Anybody's Ghost and its chorus from Racing Like a Pro? Every time he sings the line "you're fireproof" I'm hearing "You're dumbstruck baby" in the background. It doesn't really bother me to be honest, but I wonder if it's intentional. They've done this sort of referential stuff before ("you know I dreamed about you for 29 years").

I have to be honest though, I just listened back to some of their earlier stuff, and maybe even just on a production level there's an edge and a grit that's missing a little here. Maybe there's something new to that actually, and maybe there's more there than it seems. I like the album enough, and I can see it growing on me. For now though, the first half is a lot more solid and engaging than the second half... which is strange for me to say because "I Need My Girl" and "Pink Rabbits" are probably my favorite songs on it.

henryeatscereal
05-23-2013, 08:54 AM
^I understand what you mean, i think the album is good but it does not surpass "Boxer" and "High Violet", the songs are solid and the production is great but their sound is getting a bit tired and i wish they would take more risks, i mean i don't want them to become suddenly into an electronic band but i think their sound can be expanded, maybe for next album...

Rdm
05-31-2013, 03:23 PM
Meh i like the album a lot, but who would have expected that from me?

new track
http://dissolvableandweightless.tumblr.com/post/51524663669/the-national-learning-perfume-genius-cover

henryeatscereal
08-03-2013, 07:37 PM
I just saw the Lollapalooza show, i almost cried during "Slow Show" and that fast version of "Graceless" was great!

Rdm
08-12-2013, 09:15 PM
The national at Hollywood forever was the best show I have ever seen. New songs sounded amazing live, everything I imagined it would be. And yes that was me who grabbed the mic from Matt at the very end of Vanderlye. I got into the backstage and got my deluxe new vinyl sighned by everyone and talked to everyone in the band. Matt's brother was pretty funny, me and him got to talking about metal and I think that's how I got into the after party. So awesome

Rdm
08-12-2013, 10:37 PM
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c321/Ryan__Becker/null_zps95c6e884.jpg

kinda of tacky to put the backstage pass on the box but it means something to me . I will never sell this album.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c321/Ryan__Becker/null_zps0fefd8f1.jpg

Matt put the heart when I ran into him the second time . He said thanks for everything and remembers me from the last show, yeah right. I'm thankful to have met him twice and have him be so nice

Jinsai
08-12-2013, 11:44 PM
The national at Hollywood forever was the best show I have ever seen. New songs sounded amazing live, everything I imagined it would be. And yes that was me who grabbed the mic from Matt at the very end of Vanderlye. I got into the backstage and got my deluxe new vinyl sighned by everyone and talked to everyone in the band. Matt's brother was pretty funny, me and him got to talking about metal and I think that's how I got into the after party. So awesome

Yeah, great show, maybe the best of theirs I've seen.

And this song is about my penis. That doesn't (really doesn't) get old when it comes to stage banter.

Rdm
11-08-2013, 03:47 PM
Awesome new song
http://www.underthegunreview.net/2013/11/07/the-national-release-new-song-from-catching-fire-soundtrack/

the band cant do wrong. I just cant get over how consistent the band is

spiralout
11-08-2013, 06:11 PM
I'm interested in getting into this band, mainly because they're playing a show here in January and it's been awhile since I've been to a good show (we don't get much in Hawaii).

Any recommendations on where to start?

brokenfragility
11-08-2013, 06:31 PM
I'm interested in getting into this band, mainly because they're playing a show here in January and it's been awhile since I've been to a good show (we don't get much in Hawaii).

Any recommendations on where to start?

Start with High Violet or Boxer. Both are amazing.

spiralout
11-08-2013, 08:38 PM
Start with High Violet or Boxer. Both are amazing.

Thanks, will check those out tonight.

Rdm
11-08-2013, 09:21 PM
I think alligator is more accessible . Cherry tree EP and sad songs for dirty lovers is good too.

Jinsai
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM
If you're looking for an introduction to the band, it's still all about Boxer

Rdm
11-10-2013, 12:49 AM
After all these I will have to agree with you. The boxer is an absolute masterpiece, but the alligator does not fall very far from it neither does the cherry tree ep.

Pillfred
11-10-2013, 01:40 AM
Because this is awesome.

http://youtu.be/fPtUwjr1czI

Kid Charlemagne
11-27-2013, 11:30 PM
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/11/27/bobs-burgers-the-national-thanksgiving/

They've done it again!

Jinsai
04-09-2015, 11:21 PM
http://pitchfork.com/news/59182-the-national-announce-vinyl-box-set-collecting-six-hour-performance-of-sorrow/

I didn't understand this when they did it, so I don't understand releasing it like this now

I don't get it, and I also don't get why there's no digital download included. This is really strange, but it still feels like it would be something cool to own... not for 150 bucks though. Such a strange thing.

blackholesun
04-10-2015, 01:28 AM
I have a feeling this is more the label's doing than the band's. Either way...meh. The whole thing was interesting, but I don't see the point of this being released on vinyl. It should be digital only or something.

Rdm
04-10-2015, 02:38 AM
I'm a huge fan but this is a Rip off. Why would anyone want this ?

Jinsai
04-10-2015, 12:15 PM
I have a feeling this is more the label's doing than the band's. Either way...meh.

At this point in the band's career, with them basically rising to the top of 4AD's current roster, I would doubt the band had no say. It's a vanity release, but if I played a 6 hour long show consisting of the same song over and over again (whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?!) I'd want something to show for it too probably.

It's still probably a pretty silly thing.

Rdm
04-10-2015, 02:54 PM
I almost bought this when I was drunk last night. Thank god I didn't.
That live antlers vinyl I'm happy I bought though

Rdm
04-11-2015, 03:20 AM
http://www.aintnoright.org/images/smilies/headscratch.gif

I stick to what I said. It makes sense, well to me

liquidcalm
04-11-2015, 06:15 AM
seeing as I just saw this thread, and have spent the better part of a year getting acquainted with their albums, I can safely say I'm pretty sold on nearly everything. Oddly I went through the albums in reverse order, so just finished with the self titled. I really loved High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me but I think my favourite is (currently) Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers, which doesn't seem to be held in such high regard. But hey, I like it. It sounds like the soundtrack to a decent romantic drama set in an autumn city.

Rdm
07-26-2016, 12:57 PM
If anyone wants a ticket to the Greek theater in Berkeley show on Friday, July 29th, I have an extra for sale- selling for face value- 50 dollars. Sold out show too

EDIT SOLD

thevoid99
05-11-2017, 12:43 AM
New song for new album coming September 8.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O6duDDkhis

bobbie solo
05-11-2017, 02:36 AM
More shit for white people. But unlike LCD, the National are fantastic. Great, low-key, understated band.

Rdm
07-02-2017, 10:26 PM
The new song The guilty party might be the best thing they ever did. The mixing reminds me of The Boxer. I still think this is going to be their " different album " after hearing their last set at the Greek.

Jinsai
06-01-2019, 12:19 AM
entirely unsure what to make of the new album, but the closing song is very pretty.

PhoenixML
06-12-2019, 03:03 PM
I had never heard The National before. This new album actually took me by surprise. I had no idea I would enjoy it that much. I love everything, the production, the mood, the melodies, the back vocals. Where should I go next?

Jinsai
06-12-2019, 03:40 PM
I still think Boxer is the most solid album they've made, but I'm really not too into the new record.

the duder
06-13-2019, 06:56 PM
That closing track, Light Years, destroys.