PDA

View Full Version : Hotline Miami

Wretchedest
03-20-2013, 03:29 AM
I'm surprised not to see a thread about this game... it's exactly up the NIN alley in terms of vibe and wierdness/awesomeness.
Its essentially a topdown shooter/strategy/puzzle game. It's sort of like Dark Soul in the sense that its hard enough that its mostly played through trial and error. It's super trippy and has kind of a cool soundtrack too.

Anyone else give this one a shot?

liquidcalm
03-20-2013, 04:34 AM
It's awesome.. and it just came out on Mac too. Shame my chugging PC game save won't transfer over too.. but Its a fun game.. and so very..very..violent.
Unlike Dark Souls though there is no risk involved in dying a lot, if there was it would probably be the most annoying game out there. Instead it's got that 'Just one more go...' that Super Hexagon also has.

Looking forward to the Vita version too.. I find the mouse controls a little imprecise (I'm not trying to rile you PC gamers) so am curious how it works with twin sticks.

Wretchedest
03-20-2013, 12:26 PM
Yes, on the mac version it told me to lock on using the scroll but THERE IS NO SCROLL BUTTON!!! and i cant map one either.

exilajei
03-20-2013, 01:38 PM
it's exactly up the NIN alley in terms of vibe and wierdness/awesomeness

lolwut?

Game's the shit, though. My favourite of last year.

thelastdisciple
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
I have it on steam, played it a few times, i pretty much suck at it but i guess i just need to get used to it since it's so fast paced. Think of good strategies and switch up the attacks.

It pretty much is constant trial and error, die a million times and still go back in lol

Wretchedest
03-20-2013, 02:43 PM
lolwut?

Game's the shit, though. My favourite of last year.

I realize that was a wierd way to put it but theres a lot of common ground. The 80's vibe, the excellent electronic music, the creepy, surreal elements and existential musings... it seems built to auto appeal to the same group in some ways.

darktemplar007
04-07-2013, 10:58 PM
I love this game. It's got that twitch/skill based feeling and the lack of real consequence for fucking up makes experimenting to find the perfect way to get through an area awesome. I love the feeling when you break into a room for the 100th time, and you manage to get the knife throw off and hit a guy with a gun in the corner, punch out the guy rushing you with a pipe, grab the gun and take out everyone who comes rushing in the door. It nails that adrenaline rush when everything just clicks and works perfectly, or you die and fail miserably (hundreds of times).

And goddamn. That soundtrack.

exilajei
04-10-2013, 08:20 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFqasQ6sX7Y