PDA

View Full Version : Deconstructed songs + a festival tour=WTF?

jaypayton
03-14-2013, 04:47 PM
At this point everything is speculation, but Trent has been saying the tour will be NIN songs deconstructed, performed differently etc. "Deconstructed" is the term he used back in the day for the CRC sessions and the Still sessions....None of us know what he means now, whether its going to be acoustic type stripped down CRC/Still sessions style or maybe more electronic, but it sounds liek he is going to experiment and try new things with the songs...which is great except why the fuck would he book a festival tour, where the crowds are mostly drunken idiot rock fans, to perform stripped down/acoustic type songs? NIN playing their normal songs has gotten mediocre at best reactions over the years from European crowds....Why not just book a smaller scale tour headlining? And I am curious to what other people think he means by "deconstructed"....stripped down? more electronic? new arrangements?

sheepdean
03-14-2013, 05:04 PM
Every set is going to a 2 hour prog interpretation of Maybe Just Once

theimage13
03-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Why not just book a small scale tour headlining?
1) They are booking a headlining tour. Just not before the festivals.
2) Festivals = tons of cash. Quite handy for paying for aforementioned tour.

What do we think he means by "deconstructed"?
1) Lots of synth geeks in the band. That, coupled with all the electronic soundtrack work he's been doing...synth-heavy reworkings?
2) I don't know.
3) I just don't know.
4) I really just don't know.

scorpiusdiamond
03-14-2013, 06:45 PM
There is already a NIN 2013 Tour thread, yo... (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1400-Nine-Inch-Nails-2013-tour/page31)

BRoswell
03-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Deconstructed doesn't automatically mean Still-style. I imagine it'll be more like how Closer has been done for the past few years with The Only Time breakdown. Still familiar enough, but a few surprises thrown in to make it seem fresh.

slave2thewage
03-14-2013, 07:05 PM
Lots of synth geeks in the band.
Looking forward to hearing the Olof Dreijer mix of Me, I'm Not being performed every show.

theimage13
03-14-2013, 07:14 PM
There is already a NIN 2013 Tour thread, yo... (http://www.echoingthesound.org/community/threads/1400-Nine-Inch-Nails-2013-tour/page31)

Yeah, but that's kind of like saying "Yo, there's already a NIN forum". A little separation isn't such a bad thing. That tour thread started off as rumors and became a catchall for anything and everything related to the tour. I don't think it'd kill us to have one thread where people can speculate about what the shows themselves might be like, versus one where it's that + future date speculation + bitching about festivals + postings about every single tour related bit of media that comes out, etc. Then again, if I'm in the minority, the mods are always free to lock this up and leave things as they are.

dominik
03-14-2013, 07:40 PM
Trent said "the band will reinvent itself from scratch". I expect a little bit more than just parts of old songs incorporated into not so old songs.

Deepvoid
03-14-2013, 07:48 PM
So they are gonna be playing Fixed, FDTS and YZR.

seasonsinthesky
03-14-2013, 08:45 PM
i would be extremely interested in a tour setlist comprised of remixes. "The Wretched (Version)" and Butch Vig's "Last" mix would be epic live!

sheepdean
03-14-2013, 09:02 PM
And now we'll play the top 20 hits on remix.nin! *4 hours of closer (version)*

FernandoDante
03-15-2013, 01:10 AM
I'm curious to see how many people will be sitting down/not moving behind synths, and how a festival crowd will relate to that.

fillow
03-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Didn't Trent say before the 2009 tour almost exactly the same thing, that they are reconstructing all the songs, re-learning them again, etc? And everyone started jumping to conclusions. Turned out he just meant they needed to redistribute the parts for a 4-piece band and exclude some keyboards or put them on the backing tape. The songs themselves didn't really changed much.

BenAkenobi
03-15-2013, 03:46 AM
I think the sheer amount of players on stage this time pretty much indicates a denser sound rather than relaxed Still-type performance.
(of course i'll be immediately told "still was not relaxed, it was totally complex, duuuuude", but anyway overall i think nin remains considerably loud)

Highly Psychological
03-15-2013, 06:18 AM
I have a feeling it will be somewhat similar to Coil's live performances. But with less naked men on stage. Dark more electronic based, more experimental, cinematic noisy, but with musicians like Ilan Eric and Adrian adding to the mix. Highly doubt it will be like the Still sessions and Sonisphere gig. I doubt it will be quiet i think it will be just as intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmVxv8otW6Y

Ash512
03-15-2013, 07:21 AM
What I'm understanding from "deconstructing songs with this new lineup" is : "we're gonna try playing everything live this time around"... NIN has always used prerecorded tracks for the more subtle electronic noises... With Adrian in the band and two keyboardist, I wouldn't be surprised if they don't change the songs themselves but simply how they're played live.

elevenism
04-24-2013, 11:06 AM
I'm thinking tech-ier, glitch-ier sounds. I don't expect to see a "Still style" performance for some years, but i DO expect it.

JamesCmuse
04-25-2013, 03:38 AM
Everyone is mentioning Still, but am I the only one thinking they'll take a "Ghosts Piggy"-style approach? Obviously using more of the techier sounds than Ghosts style elements.. more suiting to his recent work. I have high hopes.

[Shep]
04-25-2013, 08:28 AM
I think the HTDA shows might give us an idea, I think we're gonna get broodier songs than usual.

jaypayton
04-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Im into a broodier/atmospheric type approach....just bizarre that he would book festivals, usually festival crowds have short attention spans....

[Shep]
04-25-2013, 07:35 PM
maybe different setlists between the festival and arena dates?

ensanchecedor
04-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Wiltern performance of piggy, that's basically it :D

Just kidding, I think we won't see changes as drastic as we think

wizfan
04-26-2013, 05:15 AM
I have a feeling it will be somewhat similar to Coil's live performances. But with less naked men on stage.

/thread :D

Fragile Teeth
04-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Can't wait to hear a new version of The Becoming.

Blackbookpress1984
04-26-2013, 12:11 PM
maybe they'll play perfect drug. :)

theimage13
04-26-2013, 05:00 PM

I really want them to start off with just the first two or three guitar notes, then abruptly stop and say "just kidding". Some of you might get bitter about that; I would genuinely laugh.

Blackbookpress1984
04-26-2013, 05:07 PM
I really want them to start off with just the first two or three guitar notes, then abruptly stop and say "just kidding". Some of you might get bitter about that; I would genuinely laugh.

i would actually be ok with that.

Miss.Selfdestruct
05-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Maaaaaaaybe it'll be done by HTDA all acoustic, some peeano, and MQ on vox...

sick among the pure
05-07-2013, 07:56 PM

Like how as a joke at the AIR show it was on the set list for right after when the swat team came in? That was great, people were reportedly freaking out.

theimage13
05-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Like how as a joke at the AIR show it was on the set list for right after when the swat team came in? That was great, people were reportedly freaking out.

Whaaaaaaat? I remember being on the board for that show (and being extremely disappointed at not living in L.A.), but I don't remember him printing it on the setlist. Trent, you're a comedic genius.

sick among the pure
05-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Whaaaaaaat? I remember being on the board for that show (and being extremely disappointed at not living in L.A.), but I don't remember him printing it on the setlist. Trent, you're a comedic genius.

I can't remember if people saw it on the floor (since you were right there) or if someone actually had the balls to grab one on the way out. Either way, I'm still mad I lived on the other side of the country, that was an awesome looking experience.

Also, Trent is the best troll I've ever met. Well, "met", read/heard.